Speaker 1: This is WBZ Boston's news radio. We defining local news. What a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
Speaker 2: It is six o'clock on this Thursday morning, and welcome aboard. We're getting started under mostly cloudy skies in twenty two degrees here in the city. The News at six brought to us by you're a New England Toyota dealer, your hybrid all wheel drive headquarters. Thanks for being here. I'm Jeff Brown, and here it comes. We'll be overspreading the area this morning. It'll mix with and change to sleep and then rain this afternoon. That is WZ aky weather meteorologist Joe Lundberg. A widespread one to three inches expected, some areas as much as five.
Speaker 1: Your most reliable news source for severe weather coverage is the WBZ Storm Center, sponsored by Ketches Luck Group and Mario's Roofing.
Speaker 2: There are dozens of cancelations and delays on the board at this hour at Logan Airport. This storm, by the way, comes on the forty seventh anniversary of the Blizzard of seventy eight. Several school districts are giving kids the day off as well.
Speaker 3: This snowstorm is expected to pack a punch at least one strong enough to make roads messy and more dangerous for kids. That's why many districts have opted to cancel school altogether. Something these folks from Salem and Lynn think is a good idea.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's good because the timing of the storm with traffic on the roads, so buses and kids and everything, So I think it's a good call. Yeah, well it's probably good things suppossibly, I see.
Speaker 3: And it's really cool. So if they stay safe a home. Now there are schools planning an early dismissal, like in Bedford, Wakefield and Belmont. As for how these changes will affect the parents schedule, that's another discussion.
Speaker 4: It's a big dilemma, you know.
Speaker 2: In Salem. James Rojas w b Z Boston's News Radio, Today's decision day. For some two million federal government employees, the fork in the Road means they will either take Elon Musk's offer to resign and be paid through September or not. Federal agency bosses and even states attorneys general advice if it sounds too good to be true. The offer now extends to all workers inside the CIA, which has become the first major security agency to offer the buyout package. Overall, some forty thousand have accepted the deal. That is far fewer than the government had hoped, and now warnings that mass layoffs might be next. President Trump uses his Executive Order pen on school sports. The executive order directs the Justice and Education Departments to interpret Title nine as prohibiting the participation of transgender girls and women in female sports. Schools that don't comply.
Speaker 4: Will be investigated for violations of Title nine and risk your federal funding indicates it all.
Speaker 2: During testimony before a Senate panel last year, the NCA president testified he knew a fewer than ten transgender athletes and college sports can he stand anpds CBS News Miami, and a new battle begins between early risers and night owls.
Speaker 5: Study reveals there may be some benefits and being a morning person. Research by UK scientists show people tend to feel mentally strongest early in the day, with people reporting fewer symptoms of depression and an increased sense of self worth in the am. Having a regular morning routine like exercise or meditation could help extend the sense of well being during the day. Michelle Friends and ABC.
Speaker 2: News' starting to see the first of the snowflakes begin to fly in portions of western Massachusetts, it will be overtaking the area within the next couple of hours. Now, this is going to be a quick hitting storm, with the heaviest punch expected around nine or ten o'clock this morning, and then in the next two to three hours later it will start to taper off. Now the temperatures will be rising throughout the day, so there will be a gradual changeover from all snow to mixed precipitation and then maybe all rained, especially south of the city later on this afternoon. Total accumulations are widespread one to three inches, but there are certain areas outside four ninety five and certainly in southern New Hampshire that could see as much as five inches of snow. We're out of the hair. This is out of our hair. Later on today and in the overnight hours, with partly sunny skies returning tomorrow. High temperatures will be close to forty degrees right now in Boston. It's cloudy and twenty two here in the city six oh five on this Thursday morning. Like any good winter storm, this one's all about timing and preparation and location. Wbz's Drew moholland is in Newbury Ports.
Speaker 6: All right, here comes the snow. Newb Report getting some snow today and with the mayor Sean reared and uh never gets old?
Speaker 7: Does it?
Speaker 8: Never gets old? Getting people off the roads and dps will go be out there doing their jobs.
Speaker 6: You put in the parking band. That's always a tough decision, right do you pull the trigger on this?
Speaker 1: Do you not? Yeah?
Speaker 8: The daytime snows are tough, but you know, we just want to keep everybody safe. So hey, parking band, who keeps people home, keeps the road safe, So let's do it.
Speaker 6: Leading up to all this, do you talk to like all the other communities, I assume like all these other mayors are like, what are you doing?
Speaker 7: What are you doing?
Speaker 8: Yeah? No, especially the north short mirrors. We got a little text chain going and so we're always checking in with each other. But at the end of the day, you know, the snow affects everybody, so you're just going to make the right choice for your muscipality.
Speaker 6: Very good, Thank you, Mayor Sean Reardon, mayor of newb Report, Drubal and WBC Bosses News Radio.
Speaker 2: By the way, January has become the latest month to break a worldwide temperature mark. Scientists say even they are a bit confused with this new high water mark since a lamnina is present this winter, which normally tends to keep temperatures down. Even experts wonder if something else is going on with Earth's chemistry to continue to push temperatures up. The prime culprit, though, remains record setting greenhouse gas emissions. Or the second time in a week, skiers in New Hampshire's White Mountains get more than they bargain for when dozens are trapped on a ski lift at Cannon Mountain and Franconia. A bolt malfunction, this time responsible for those waiting to be rescued. First responders needed a rope and pulley system to bring all sixty four to the ground safely. The Peabody Quad Lift is closed again today. This incident, of course, comes after a ski lift let go at Atatash Resort, sending a man twenty feet to the ground. Over the weekend, Boston Mayor Michelle Wu cuts a deal with a House committee on Capitol Hill. The mayor has now agreed to testify in a sanctuary city's hearing, which has now been rescheduled in March fifth. The mayor requests a new save the Date card to assist in her recovery from the birth of her third child. The cost to run Boston schools continues to go off.
Speaker 7: Superintendent Mary Skipper in the district are out with a new budget at nearly one point six billion dollars. It's a three and a half percent increase from the current spending package. It includes a big investment in special education and multi language instruction, and includes added adjustments for cost of living increases. Boston teachers continue to work without a contract. The School Committee is expected to hold several public meetings in the coming weeks and will vote on the package next month. The city Council will also get it say before it becomes official. Jay will Ent WBZ Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: You are now in the loop for news updates throughout the day. Listen to DOUBLEGA BZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Jeff Brown, WBZ Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 5: M