Speaker 1: KF I am six forty. You're listening to Dean Sharp, the House Whisper on demand on the iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 2: Hey kids, how would you like me and Uncle t Bones to tell you a Christmas story?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ding Dog.
Speaker 2: Twas just before Christmas, nearly eight years.
Speaker 1: Ago, and we were in studio just doing our show. Went out in the hall. There arose such clatter and I yelled in the mic, thank's the matter?
Speaker 2: And what do our wandering eyes?
Speaker 1: Did appear a.
Speaker 3: Man so handsome for radio and unbelievably thick hair?
Speaker 1: Did he write that?
Speaker 2: Mark Thompson exclaimed, Oh does this guy have a sister? And I knew in that moment.
Speaker 1: He must be the house whisper Ding Dog.
Speaker 2: With this guy, he sat down at the mic and got right to his work.
Speaker 1: Doing talk radio without being a jerk.
Speaker 2: The listeners were inspired with every word that he said, while.
Speaker 1: Visions ever remodels danced through their heads.
Speaker 2: He arose from the mic and then all his new friends, we.
Speaker 1: Hope you'll come back again and.
Speaker 2: Again, And I heard him exclaim as a way he did.
Speaker 1: Rome, I'll see you next weekend And to all, welcome home, Welcome to our annual house whisper Holiday Home Show coming to you live from KFI Studios here in Burbank, California, from the helpful Honda Lounge. And here is our live studio audience. Let's hear it, everybody. Unbelievable, you know what. It's living proof that there are crazy people everywhere in the world to get up on a Sunday morning and come down here to spend some time with us, sipping my coffee. So glad that you are here and of course glad that you are listening to us from wherever you are today. Today on the show, it is the Holiday Home Show. It's gonna be loose, it's gonna be casual. We're gonna talk some holiday decor because I have got the guys from Aldick Home here. Aldikom sponsored this entire show today. Let's hear it for alda Combe Craig. Can we bring up Brian's Mike here, Brian Gold from Aldcombe. How you doing, Brian good? Thanks for having us. Absolutely Bro. We're gonna be decorating this gorgeous seven and a half foot ah Gold label, the one the tree that you hear me talk about when I do spots for Aldick all the time. It is no joke this tree. It is just an amazing, amazing tree, as is everything at Aldick and for the first hour here, and only the first hour, because when you are a professional decorator of decorating wizard like Mida and Rosie here, it only takes it. They're going to be going slowly in order to decorate this tree in an hour, but we're gonna do it, and we'll talk about it as we do it, and by the time we're all said and done, when this tree is decorated, we're gonna give it away to somebody here in our live audience this morning, and that's gonna be fun as well. We're gonna make sure did you guys get Raffle tickets this morning? No? All right, so then you're not gonna get the tree. It's just not gonna happen. We're not taking calls today because we're gonna be taking questions from our live audience when the time comes, so that's gonna be a cool thing. I gotta turn the clock that you can see from space around. We are here in the Helpful Honda Lounge, not our normal studio, so please forgive me let me introduce you to our awesome team. Elmer is on the board. Elmer. Good morning, buddy.
Speaker 4: Dan, good morning, Good morning everyone.
Speaker 1: How's it going down there? Well, happy to be here. Yeah, I wish I could see you. I can see you. Oh what I can't? I can't. Okay, Producer Richie right here, baby, I normally say, producer Richie standing by to take your calls. But he's standing by with the roaming mic to take questions from our audience this morning. And everybody who asks a question, well a good one, gets one of our new T shirts today. Look at that, Look at that stee that What did I tell you before we started? I just showed you the T shirt? And everybody's like ooh, And everyone who was listening is like, I can't see anything. We got some new T shirts. We'll put them online for you guys, so you can check them out. I would normally say, sitting across the table from me is my best friend in all the world, the co founder co owner of House Whisperer, and my design partner and my best buddy. But Tina had a unexpected urgent surgery this week. She's fine, she's fine. Everything is good. She's home, she's recovering. She just wasn't in shape to be able to make the try. Appeared to the studio. See if we were doing this at my house today, everybody could see Tina. But no, you guys don't get to come to my house. So anyway, Tina patched in, we may patch her in again. Are you there? Can we hear her? Let's see hello? There you are?
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 1: Hey, you are live on the air with everybody, So say your good mornings as you do.
Speaker 5: Well, welcome home everybody, So glad you're there.
Speaker 1: How are you feeling.
Speaker 5: I'm feeling pretty good all things considered.
Speaker 1: Good good you want to tell anybody about what's going on with you?
Speaker 5: Or just had a surgery that I didn't expect to have, and so I'm very sore. I'm walking slow, but I am doing well. I'm sitting in a chair right now. But yeah, I'm doing okay, and I think I'll be all better probably in I would say I'm gonna be walking around pretty normally in.
Speaker 1: A couple of weeks. Yeah, at the rate you're going. I threw my back out last night after a week of worrying about her and all of this stuff, and and she's like, you know something, I think my phone dropped on the floor, and she's like, you want me to get that. I'm like, no, now, I don't want you to get it. You're the one who's supposed to be laying in bed. So anyway, all right, babe, love you, love you. We'll talk soon, okay. All right, So this is what's going on today. We're gonna talk some decor with Brian throughout the show. We're also going to have some special guests when we come Can we turn off Tina sound because you know what, if she talks normally, we're gonna hear some cussing. We're gonna talk some decor with Brian. I'm gonna have him set up the tree here, set it up for you mentally before we go. When we come back from break, I'm gonna have a very special and up here with me. You just heard her in the intro to the show, because Sharon Bellio was with us this morning, and so Sharon and I are going to talk about the holidays a little bit and have some fun while she's here, and we've got some other fun guests coming as well. So, Brian, the tree, I talk about it all the time. I could read your spot right now. If you want, but I would rather not do that. I just want you to tell us why it, tell us what makes these trees so special? Why are you guys so passionate about these particular trees.
Speaker 4: These trees we designed ourselves. So we're family owned and operated retail store Christmas Store in the Valley and looking out on the marketplace for the best Christmas trees. Because everything we sell is the best quality. We just weren't finding it on the market and we had to design it ourselves. So for these we designed everything down to the gage of the wire, the lights themselves. They're the only trees where the lights are designed for Christmas trees. Everyone else just uses a regular string. They wrap it around and the lights end up where they end up. These the lights are shaped like a hand, so you put a light at the end of each prominent tip, so.
Speaker 1: The wire comes up hidden as it is, and then splits out and ends up with a light at the tip of each major branch. Correct.
Speaker 4: So even if you were a world champion Christmas tree lighter, you couldn't do it this way.
Speaker 1: And then well you can't do you just you can't do this with a linear stringline, right, Yeah, And.
Speaker 4: Then what we do too is we designed it where each branch has its own string. Because the lights themselves are not replaceable. What we've done is made the string as small as possible because things happen. I have a crazy little dog, I've got little kids. Things happen. That's just the beautiful thing about life is things happen.
Speaker 1: And if a.
Speaker 4: Wire got cut or a light got broken, it would only affect one branch. We give you a couple of strings in the box, you could fix it quickly yourself. And it's just the best way to own a Christmas tree.
Speaker 1: Because it's going to last and last and last. I mean, it's got that durability to it. The other thing I love about it, and this gets into some of our decorating ideology, is the fact that since the lights are all located at the tip of every branch, you could leave a tree just like this, I mean it's gorgeous just as it is, without any ornamentation on it whatsoever. Or you could literally, as you guys do at the store, pack this thing with all sorts of ornaments and it doesn't matter either way because the ornaments never bury any lights, which always happens with a string light as well, So when this thing is fully decorated, you guys will see that all the lights are still visible. And it's little things like that that just make all the difference in the world.
Speaker 4: And having enough spacing between the branches too, so most online retailers those trees are really full and fluffy because they look good in photos. You can't see him in person. First, then you bring it home and you can't fit an ornament inside it. These we design them to have the spacing so you can decorate it like a professional like Rosie exactly.
Speaker 1: So we talked about that yes a little bit on yesterday's show when I was talking about live trees, like people who are buying live trees or real trees. The fact that you've got to make a choice. You've got to make a choice between something like a Douglas fur which looks just totally full and great, or a noble fur something like that that is tiered. Right, some of them are incredibly tiered, like super spars. And the difference being knowing how you're going to decorate the tree, right, because if you're planning on putting big ornaments on a Douglas fur, it's going to be problematic because you're literally like shoving them into the branches. You got to trim it or you have to branches, yeah, to make room for it, right, to make it like that. So you guys have the advantage of being able to create fullness and spacing all at the same time. I love it because the inner core of the tree is very full, and then you've got select branches that are sticking out from that fullness that leave just enough room for whatever you want to do.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: There really is a huge difference when it comes to picking a tree. So this sounds like an Aldic commercial, it is. It's just and I hope you guys are all following us over to Aldiko. In fact, I hope everybody who's listening right now knows that after the show today from one to two thirty, we're going to be over at Aldick and watching the craziness that's going on over there, right and it is crazy town over there right now. It's amazing that these guys are here, that we pulled them away from the store. But we're going to be over there just looking at the winter wonderland that is Aldick when we get there, and you'll be able to see just how amazing all of that is. All right, are we ready to go? Yeah, we're ready to go. Here's the thing. When we come back from the I'm going to be sitting down with one of my dearest friends here at the station, Sharon Belli. Oh, and I'm just so glad that you all here. You have tuned in to the House Whisper Live Audience Holiday show here at KFI.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: At iHeart Studios in Birdbank, California and the helpful Honda Lounge. Welcome home. Thanks for joining us on the program today. We're just having a really really casual show. I have always put myself under this burden to share absolutely as much information as I can get out of my brain with you about your home. Today is going to be a little bit of an exception to that rule, because today is like the one weekend a year that I kind of take off from content. Just we're celebrating the holidays. We're kicking off the holiday. Of course we're going to talk about We've already talked about some substantive things and we're going to continue to do that, but more than that. Today, we're going to take some time to talk to our live studio audience. We're going to take some time to talk to some of my dear friends, and I have one of them sitting here at the table with me right now here. She is. Now you heard her voice in that little intro that she and Conway did for me very graciously at the beginning of the show. She's really the brains of the outfit. I think you can all know that. Oh goscha, everybody. Sharon Bellio, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: It's so fun to be here.
Speaker 1: Buddy, thanks for inviting me. Oh my gosh, this is fun. I was so honored when you said you could make it up here because you live down in oc Yeah.
Speaker 2: I live in Irvine, so it's an hour drive. But on Sunday mornings you get here in like a half an hour.
Speaker 1: So it's true that would be nice, but it's still a Sunday morning for you to come out.
Speaker 5: It's okay.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful out and it's so nice to see everyone. This is a great turnout. And there were delicious burritos were were there?
Speaker 1: Yes? Oh you didn't get any? No? Oops? Who did the burritos? Michelle, is there a spot I'm supposed to read to acknowledge the burritos? Okay, I'm going to acknowledge the burritos shortly. Okay, they were good.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm doing really well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm ready for the Christmas, the holiday season.
Speaker 1: How do you guys celebrate Christmas? Well? Oh, here here's a better question. How do you celebrate Yeah? How do you celebrate Christmas now? And how did you do it when you were a kid, And what's the difference.
Speaker 2: We Honestly, the traditions were really strong when we were young, you know, Italian, Irish, Italian family decorating the tree. One thing I have an issue with now that.
Speaker 1: Are you telling me that the Irish and the Italians have strong opinions on things? Very very conflicting too.
Speaker 2: One thing I wanted to bring up about the tradition was when I grew up, you know, you had Thanksgiving and then the day after Thanksgiving you.
Speaker 1: Put up the Christmas tree.
Speaker 2: Well, people like putting trees up a little earlier, and so it's a big debate in my house because I would like to put the tree up a little earlier to enjoy it longer. But my husband's like, no, one holiday at a time. We'll put it up after Thanksgiving. But I was at a party last night and they have what they call fall trees up where they put the clear lights, and yeah, like like you know different.
Speaker 1: Fall that's what we do, do you? Yeah, when did you put it up? When did you start that up? Well? Well, okay, because of Tina's surgery, Yeah that was that, you know. And I said, okay, we gotta get a jump on it, right. And I used to be in the other camp when I was young and staunchly opinionated. Are we getting feedback between these bikes? Okay? I used to be at the other camp. I'm like, I'm not going to give into this commercialism just because Costco has Christmas trees in mid October. And now I'm like, when are the trees coming to Costco?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Because I am ready. I have lived enough decades now where it's like, you know what, I'm ready for some holiday cheer. So what we do is we we first we kind of scatter the whole autumn thing around. Right. We'll go down to the local farm and the vegetables stand there. We'll bring home a bunch of pumpkins and gourds, and at Underwood Farms out in More Park, we grab corn stalks, bunch of the corns, so we'll just like spread those all over the place. So there's your autumn thing. And then last week I put up all the lights on the house and there we got a tree, an outdoor tree that sits in the in the backyard and it's just clear, clear, white, just white, you know. And my neighbor Rodrigo, came across the street. He's like, Dean, what are you doing. Man, it's like two weeks before Thanksgiving. People are very I got to get the jump on it. But he decorates really well too, and I think he thought I was racing him, and I'm like, no, I don't want to do that, bro. I explained to him that Tina was gonna have surgery, and I just got it, you know, I gotta get this all out of the way first. But I kind of, I really, I'm all for it now. I'm all for it, you know, the idea of like why not, why not?
Speaker 2: Why not just bring such joy and like comfort to people? And I know I was at a party last night in her house was all decorated for autumn and had the trees, like you said, with the gores, and they were like painted silver and it was gorgeous. But the guests were divided, like, no, you can't do that. But then you know, after Thanksgiving she'll put the colors on and the ornaments, and I'm like, why not, it's.
Speaker 1: So beautiful, Yeah, exactly. So our lights are up now. The Christmas garland isn't up yet, but the lights are up, and there's the pumpkins are still laying out right, so it's still very autumny, just kind of a bright, sparkly autumn. And we don't have our tree the tree yet. But that's the interesting thing. If you go ahead and actually put ancillary stuff right, you start getting into the mood. And we're still build into it. I think we're still going to hit the tree right after Thanksgiving. Yeah, right here, because like the tree farm that we love to get our tree from, they don't even they're not even open until the day after Thanksgiving. So I can't even get that tree right now because we get a live tree and so but it's not like we're missing out because everything is there and then things will transition and that's so that's one of the lessons today is that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You can layer in Christmas layering in one of you know, I say it all the time on the show. And by the way, this year, I'm committed to getting this done. I am committed to getting a video series of Tina and I and some others walking through Disneyland doing the The House Whispered Design tour of Disneyland. We're going to put up a series of videos. But one of the things that Disney does really well at Disneyland, right, Tina and I were there two three weeks ago. A few waths were up, the snow was on the castle, the lights on the castle were just white. Yea, not the whole multic you know. So Disneyland layers it in, layers it in all for that?
Speaker 2: Are you all for that? The layering in kind of Yeah, let's.
Speaker 1: Do the Christmas creep. That's what we're after, the Christmas creeping of the decrees. Yet it the Christmas creeping, all right. I got so much more to talk to Sharon Bellio about and we're gonna do it when we come back. Your Home with Dean Sharp the House Whisper.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Home With Dean Sharp on demand from KFI A M six forty.
Speaker 1: Dean Sharp, The House Whisper At your service, you have stumbled upon the annual House Whisper Holiday home show with a live studio audience coming to you live from the KFI studios in Burbank, California at the helpful Honda Lounge. And we were just spending some time talking to Sharon. Sharon is still with me, Sharon Bellio from the Conway Show. Yes, thank you. This is my morning to just have fun my friends. And so if you tuned in for tons of home advice, stay tuned because it's more interesting than normal because there's less of that and more of my friends like Sharon bell You. But one question that I was literally just talking to our studio audience about and it was time to get back on the air, and I thought, you know what, So somebody asked if there was anything special that our families did around the holidays and that made them, you know, exceptionally special. And my answer was yeah, but not anything beyond what you guys would all know that the idea of like, hey, have some good meals together, spend time with family together, you know, open a present on Christmas Eve. And you know, one of the things that I hope that I communicate on the show all the time is this concept that homes lives. They're built with very small pieces by brick. Not that we build homes with brick in southern California, please do not do that. But they're all built piece by piece, and then you step back one day and you're like, wow, look at that, Like we got a whole house here, and it looks great, right because we put in the effort. And that's really the discipline of craftsmanship. By the way. It's not just oh, what an amazing artist that person is, or Hey, how gifted they are with their hands and how they do this or that. The real challenge of craftsmanship is the ability to do that amazing thing ten thousand times in a row. Because that's what goes into making a house, right. It gets kind of banal and mundane at moments, and you just got to remember what it is that you're doing and what you're working toward, and you make every nail count, and you make every cut count and all of those kinds of things. So the point was that it's always the little things that count, and for us, our big secret, if there is one, is that the sharps just keep showing up even when we're not invited. We just keep showing up. We just keep showing up for life. And So what I was about to share and now I'm going to share on the air for everybody, is this very simple truth. I think it is that because life is made out of these tiny bits, really tiny bits. And of course there are mountaintop moments, sure, but mostly life is tiny bits of things, one after the other, day after day. Design. As a designer, I am keenly aware of this. The whole concept of a design, no matter what you are designing, whether you're designing homes, designing interiors, designing landscape, designing radio shows, designing any form of art, designing anything right, designing your life. The very essence of what design is is a manifestation of intention. That's what it is. Design is intentions formulated and made manifest into the world. Right, so someone looks at it and says, oh, whoa wow. You know, and in a good design you can see that intention. You're like, we intended this to have this effect, right, And and I think that's that's what I link as a designer in my life just sort of life philosophy to showing up. I just keep showing up right and every day imperfectly, incredibly, imperfectly and hit and miss, but you just keep having intentions for the day, having intentions for your life, having intentions for what you're doing, and you keep plucking away at it, and before you know it, you can kind of erase some of the mistakes and highlight the you know, the wins, and you keep building on the good stuff and editing out the bad. And then one day you step back and you're like, wow, we've built ourselves a pretty beautiful life out of this and it's working for us. Right, That's really That was really the heart and soul of why I ever wanted to do this show. And anyway, I just wanted to answer that question. So everybody, no, no, stop it, stop it all right, So back to the interesting people. Sharon Bellio from the Conway. Thank you, Sharon produces literally one of the finest radio shows in the nation.
Speaker 2: Okay, and yeah, uh ding dong dong ding dong. Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, I always hate to say that because it just did and I don't know, it just falls short, right, Yeah, the guy has.
Speaker 2: To say we had somebody email Tim and say could you stop with the he haws? They forgot what it was. It was ding dong. It's like, yeah, he has it's ding dong.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, you know what there's this Okay, I'm going to share this on the air. The second thing I probably learned in radio from Robin when she was teaching me about all of this, because I was so new to it and no clue what I was doing. Was She's like, you know, we have this little inside joke and radio. Why do we call them listeners? That's the question. Why do we call them listeners? And I'm like, I don't understand what that means. She's like, you will, you will understand. So, like a faithful fan of the Conway Show calls and says, stop it with the he haws. It's like, are you listening to you? Listen to the show. I've literally gotten emails from listeners who have said, Dean, listen to your show from day one, day one and love your show. We've been listening to you for almost eight years now. I'm just wondering, do you intend a dude design on this side? Yeah, yeah, we do, we do. It's incredible, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: They missed that.
Speaker 1: So all right, so I know this about you. You actually worked with a Conway before you worked with this Conway. I did.
Speaker 2: I worked with the I worked with the iconic Tim Conway before I met Tim Conway Junior.
Speaker 1: How wild is that? That's pretty wild with both. How many years was that before you met Tim?
Speaker 2: You already looked up on IMDb? What year was that?
Speaker 1: I forget? I was like ninety seven or something.
Speaker 2: Okay, ninety seven. There was a movie called Dear God with Greg Kannee you that they worked in the post office and they were getting letters to Santa and so was it just Santa?
Speaker 1: I think it was. He was like a con man who got community service.
Speaker 2: And he had post office and so they they got this group together and they were answering all the emails and helping out all these people. And Tim Conway was in this movie. And I got the part because I knew Gary Marshall, the incredible talented Gary Marshall, and he gave me a part. But Gary works where he just would walk up to the table and he's like, all right, you're talking, you're talking, and then somebody's gonna come in. He just wanted you to improv everything, and so I had this scene in this cafe and Tim Conway was doing what he does best, and he's just improving stuff and I'm on a phone and he comes up and he.
Speaker 1: Grabs the phone for me.
Speaker 2: It ended up getting cut from the movie, but I was able to work with Tim Conway. And then another time I was producing the Lakers broadcast and Tim was doing a Tim Conway was doing an episode of Yes Dear with former Governor Gray Davis, and at halftime they did a scene on the court and so I went down and I asked him to come on our halftime show. And my dad huge fan, like everyone, a huge fan of Tim Conway. And I said, would you call my dad? And he's like, sure, yeah, get him on the phone. So I called the house and he's in the bathroom and so I'm like, get him out of the bathroom. Tim Conway's on the phone, and so Tim Conway spoke to my dad for like five minutes. So I have a picture of Tim Conway on the phone with my dad and he was just the sweetest man that he could ever meet. And then flash fast forward, did I work with Tim Conway Junior? How wild is that?
Speaker 1: That is wild. By the way, if you look up your IMDb it says flame. It's really lame. It says that you're you're undercast for for that movie. You were cast as regular customer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a regular customer that ended up, you know, being cut from the regular customer.
Speaker 1: You are anything but a regular customer. I will tell you that right there. Oh my gosh. So what's the what's the most unique thing about working with Tim or just doing the show? Well, here's here's what I gotta say this, guys. You know, you guys know that I'm on with Tim every like Thursday Thursday. Yeah, that we do say they were They have been so embracing, so kind, so generous. Tim is an amazingly generous broadcaster. He's the And what I mean by that is that for somebody so iconic, right to share the mic with so many people. And you think about all the shows here and I'm not so not dissing anybody else here at KFI, but of all the shows on KFI, you guys have the one show where there's an entire cast of characters. Every night. You're on the air all the time. You know, Croze is on the air all the time.
Speaker 2: Angel And Yeah, Fush is the most inclusive person I've ever worked with, you know, because he finds everyone around him more interesting to talk to. He'll like, on the break, go down to the kitchen and come back with somebody and you know, have him tell your story, tell him about your shoe that just broke. And I don't know how he does it. He makes it sound really you know, exciting and important, like, well, what happened with the shoe. He's just he does that. He invites all local media to come on his show. He's not worried about competition. He just he wants the interesting story told. And that is like so unique in this business.
Speaker 1: And he's been so good to me.
Speaker 2: You guys, well, he has a lot of respect for you and.
Speaker 1: What you do. He just he's a fan of DIY and that kind of thing. He's like, you're gonna get him on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whenever he runs into what problem we got to get DNA.
Speaker 1: On and and so we talk and then after I go off, he just keeps talking. He's like that guy, that guy, he's such a liar. All right. Anyway, Yeah, we got to go to break and when we come back, more of the House Whisper Holiday Home Show live from KFI Studios here in Burbank.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 1: Welcome home, you stumble into the House Whisper Holiday Home Show with our live studio audience here in Burbank, California, at the iHeart Studios in the helpful Honda Lounge. I got to make sure I say all these things, by the way. The burritos that y'all had this morning and that no one who is listening to us right now had. These burritos are brought to you by egg and Bird. Let's hear freg and Bird with a bird. They were good. Do you need Eigenberg holiday catering? They got breakfast, lunch, and dinner locations in Maywood, Pico Rivera, Cyprus, and Upland and you can order at egg n n egg n the letter nbird dot com. Uh, let's see today we gave the Eggenberg burrito with the side of their housemade crack sauce. That doesn't sound right. It was good. It was good. I did not get one of those burritos, I think all neither did any of our listeners. Just go tod so you gotta go to Eggenbert, egg and Bert. There you go, give it a track. I'm just gonna keep saying it because I like that Eggenbert. It's a good name. Sharon Bellio is with me right now in studio. Hello, the unbelievable Sharon Bellio. Immensely talented, immensely intelligent, intuitive, performer and producer of The Conway Show and a very very kind person and one of my dear friends here at the station, and so she was very very kind to come on. So hang out. We're going to talk to these two core guys and if you have a question, chime in. Brian Gold from al To Combe and Mida Meda, Mida, all right, Mida, you guys got to share that, Mike. So during the first couple of segments of the show, they've been decorating this seven and a half foot Christmas tree here, an amazing looking tree that we're going to give away to somebody out here before we're done today. But the point is this, Okay, I see, I see kind of swirly things coming out, and we got to describe this because it's radio, you know, and there's all sorts of ornamentation, but it's sort of like their their clumps of ornaments that are almost on branches and they're swooping at different angles. Talk to me about the theory or the ideology of decorating a Christmas tree. How do you appro what's you know, because I know you're the wizard at Aldick who is in charge of all of this stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I thought, you know, this morning, we could do something a little bit more fanciful. You know, with the different textures that we have at the store. We do offer a lot of traditional you know, the reds, the greens, and beautiful trees decorated in that way with gold. But you know, I thought, you know, we could do something a little bit different. So we have these great garlands that Rosie has put in. And Rosie's one of our talented designers. I can think it up, but I can't do this, and so she is awesome at doing all of this for us. So she started with the garland and it's you can wire that in and some people use ribbon, but we use the garland for this tree and incorporated color with these textured glitter stems that we have. And she's just starting to play some butterflies for us.
Speaker 1: So one of the things I've noticed that you guys do that a lot of beautiful it's true of a lot of beautiful trees, is that you've got the conical kind of plane of the tree, right this shape, that triangular cone shape. But you guys never hesitate to break that wall, as it were, with stuff that's like leaping out from the tree, whether it's whether it's feathered branches, whether it's reeds, whether it's like sparkly things like this. So the tree is filled with and we got it, Richie. We need to put some of this up on social so that people can see it. But yeah, so there's the cone of the tree and then there's all this stuff sticking out of it, which I don't know, a lot of people just don't don't have the courage to.
Speaker 6: Do that, I don't think, right, And I think that's the great liberty at the store. You know, some of these trees are just for show. And you will see some nine foot upside down Christmas trees that we have at the store, and it's not for everybody, but it's definitely you know, it's a wild kind of tree. And we have designers that come in from New York and Florida to come help us design these trees.
Speaker 1: So I've had people say that an upside down Christmas tree is sacrilegious, and I've had to say, Okay, can I just clarify that Christmas trees have no direct tie in with any religion whatsoever, first of all, and secondly, if you live in a small space, and now it's one thing we used to you know, you guys are the first ones who've ever done this that I am aware of. But for a lot of clients we used to take and we'd have to retrofit a regular tree, which is difficult to do to hang it upside down from the ceiling. You guys, don't actually hang your trees from the ceiling. You actually have designed a tree that people can buy that's on its own stand, but it's upside down with.
Speaker 4: A specil thin heavy they're nine feets all in all the weights at the top. But it's still super secure and right, so super awesome tree.
Speaker 1: So why would you use an upside down Christmas tree if you're not just a you know, like a decor wacko. Okay, here's why you would use it. Space savings, an upside down tree takes up all of its space on the ceiling, and by the time you get down to the floor, it's just this one little thing, all right, and then all the presence can go around. It can fit all around it without taking up any more space than a standard tree. Okay, And you can decorate an upside down tree really wildly because gravity makes things look different when they're hanging upside down from well, they're not hanging upside now when they're hanging from an upside down tree. So yeah, it's a bold maneuver. But that's one of the things you can get it out. You can actually buy a pre designed upside down Christmas tree. And I'm telling you if you live in a little apartment or you've got a tight little space, you know, and once you see it, you realize, oh it just it feels it feels right, it feels good. It's not like it's like, oh am I living in like a batman villain's layer. Year you know, it's not a weird thing. Does it sound like a weird thing? Do you use?
Speaker 2: When I initially saw it, it was like what are they doing? But yeah, you get used to the idea and I agree with you a small spaces.
Speaker 1: It's just another way of presenting your tree. Yeah, it's really really wild. And then you guys leave gaps. I mean, there are a lot of trees at the store when there are no gaps whatsoever. In fact, this year, Brian Brian was telling me earlier I was at the store a couple of weeks ago, and he's like, oh, in this tree, Dean, we haven't done this one for a while. Which is a tree that you can't see the tree at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, it's literally just ornaments. Just there's a tree in there somewhere, but somewhere. And so you guys decorate them very fully, but quite often some of the elegance is like holding back and letting some negative space show up in a tree. And so the idea that you've got these I don't know how I would call them kind of almost fountain drops of ornaments in clumps down the tree, and then right next to it on both sides you've got exposed green. It's really beauty. Do you guys think it's a good looking tree? Yes, it's a good looking tree. All right, we're gonna come back to our decor experts at Aldick In just a bit, but you know what, We're at the top of the hour, first hour already, right, you are Home with deansh. I had to remember who I was, Dean Sharp, the House Whisper on KFI. This has been Home with Dean Sharp, the House Whisper. Tune into the live broadcast on KFI AM six forty every Saturday morning from six to eight Pacific time, and every Sunday morning from nine to noon Pacific time, or anytime on demand on the iHeart Radio app.