Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app ok F I.
Speaker 2: A KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: And Amy Kay.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock, straight up, good morning. It is Thursday, August twenty ninth. This is your wake up call. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Bad You're with us. I think KNO and I are both a little sad you did. The Dodgers opening last night was show Hey Otaani Bobblehead night. We're going to tell you about that. But yes, Cona's like, are you going to the game? Can you give me a popple ahead? I text so many of my friends and nobody's going to give him up.
Speaker 4: One said I didn't get a text back last night, so I'm guessing he didn't get one, or for me, I know he got one.
Speaker 1: It was just the first forty thousand fans. The line was long. Yes, we'll be telling you about that in just a second. And of course, a big day today because Vice President Harris is finally going to sit down after more than a month since she announced that she's running for president. She's going to sit down for an interview that is happening tonight on CNN. I'll be watching. I'll be parked on my couch watching because I think we need to know. It's time to get information, find out who this person is. Is she ready to be president? Here's what's ahead on wake up call. Cell phones at schools will soon be banned in California if the governor signs a bill that was passed by lawmakers in Sacramento. The bill would require school districts to limit or ban students cell phone use during the school day. Doesn't apply to during emergencies. The Phone Free Schools Act is awaiting a final sign off from Governor Newsom. Districts would have until July of twenty twenty six to implement it. Couldn't they just say, Okay, the bill has passed, let's not have the cell phones in schools like effective immediately, just a thought. LA Mayor Bass has visited the iconic Langers Deli near MacArthur Park to try and convince the owner to stay open. Normal. Langer said earlier this week he might close his business because he's fed up with the city ignoring crime, homelessness, and illegal street vending. Mayor Bass met with Langer on Tuesday and tried to reassure him the city is taking action. The FBI says a definitive motive in the assassination attempt on former President Trump has not yet been established. In an update yesterday, officials say the man who shot Trump at a rally in Pennsylvania on July thirteenth found what they called a target of opportunity. We're going to be talking more about that, about what we found out, what we didn't find out from the FBI with ABC's Crime and Terror analyst Brad Garrett. That's coming up at five twenty, so just a little more than fifteen minutes from now. We're just two weeks into the school year in LA and teachers are already stressed out and burned out. Jim Ryan's gonna tell us why in less than five minutes. Also, we told you last week about a new pizza vending machine in northern California. Well, we're going out and about in search of one, and guess what we found one. We'll tell you about it coming up at the bottom of the art. We also did a little taste test. I think you're going to be happy when you hear what we found out. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty for our newsroom. Six people have been charged for their roles in what federal prosecutors have called crime tourism.
Speaker 5: Criminals come from places like Chile where it's easy to get a tourist visa to visit the US and then find a network of folks ready to help them commit burglaries and other thefts. LA Mayor Karen Bassay is yesterday's arrest of six of those alleged helpers should help put the community at ease.
Speaker 6: This is a major step forward, and I hope that it brings relief to our neighbors in the Los Angeles area.
Speaker 5: Two of the people charged allegedly operated a rental car company dedicated solely to getting burglars around the region and the country in downtown LA. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Two high schools in LA have been evacuated because of a threat to their campuses. Shooting threats were made yesterday against Birmingham Community Charter School in Van Eys and High Tech Los Angeles Charter School in Lake Balboa. It's not clear if the threats were credible, The Supreme Court has turned down a Biden administration request to allow a student loan plan to go into effect while legal challenges play out. ABC's Karen Travers's The White House plans to continue to defend President Biden's student debt relief plan, known as the Safe Plan, which it says has helped over eight million borrowers lower their monthly payments.
Speaker 7: Spokesman Angelo Fernandez hernandezays in a statement, quote, we won't stop fighting against Republican elected officials' efforts to raise costs some millions of their own constituents student loan payments.
Speaker 1: The Supreme Court kept the program on hold yesterday while challenges make their way through federal court. We told you last night was show Hey Otani Bobblehead night at Dodgers Stadium, and the fans couldn't wait to get their hands on one. The giveaway was the second Otani bobblehead this season. Long lines of cars blocked streets outside the stadium for hours as fans waited to get into park to get their souvenir. They were being given out to the first forty thousand people. The stadium holds fifty six thousand. Otani's dog decoy throughout the first pitch. Love that as the Dodgers hosted the Baltimore Orioles. Spoiler alert, the Dodgers won. Is that a spoiler? The game was yesterday? Come on, let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. So, Jim, La schools have been back in session for two weeks already. The teachers are stressed out and burned out.
Speaker 8: Why, well, that's happening all over the country. In fact, the Department of Education says that only forty two percent of teachers believe their job is worth the stress that they face every day. That's down dramatically from just eight years ago. A lot of reasons for it, I think, you know, teachers themselves and school administrators see that funding has fallen off, so teachers aren't paid as well as they were. Beyond that, though, a lot of states aren't mandating things within schools like mental health programs for the kids, schools security, you know, and yet not providing any extra funding for those things. So the schools and the districts are having to come up with that. But an extreme case of this, just this past week came school teacher down in course at count about fifty miles south of Dallas. Was in her school first day of school a week ago Monday, and got a call on her school radio. There was a kid out of control in a classroom. She ran down. There was having a massive tantrum, a fit, I suppose in his room. Everybody had cleared out teacher and the rest of the students were out of the room. She went in, Candor Rogers did and the kid threw a chair at her. She caught the chair or deflected it. Then he threw a wooden hangar at her. A coat hanger hit her in the eye, knocked the eye out of the socket.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 8: She was flown up to the hospital in Dallas, to a Parkland hospital where the doctors say that the blindness is going to be permanent. The kid is eleven years old. Candor Rogers, this assistant principal doesn't blame the kid, doesn't doesn't blame the teachers or the parents. She says this is a result of reduced funding or a lack of new funding from the state. She says that if they had had programs in place to catch this kid's mental illness beforehand, or metal problems or stresses on that kid, it might have contributed to a different outcome for her. Well, it didn't.
Speaker 1: That's really interesting that she blames it on school funding, because I would blame it on parents not paying attention. Yeah, and teachers being restricted to what you know, can they discipline kids so you can't even kick a kid out of class anymore in some places.
Speaker 8: Well, this kid, I mean was totally out of control and a physical assault on teachers and kids, and you know at some point, Yeah, and this was what Rogers was. She was there to try to calm him down, get him in custody, or get him somehow to quit tearing up the room that he was in, and she caught this wooden hanger right in the eye.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that's so sad. So yeah, and less than half of the teachers think it's worth it, which is just really a sad thing because I remember what it is like when we were kids. We used to go, oh, being a teacher would be cool. You get to help kids shape their futures.
Speaker 8: And yeah, they were at least respected, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Separate set of Gallup says that four in ten k through twelve workers in the US, that's teachers principals teachers' ages say they all or very often feel burned out at work. That outpaces all other industries around the country. So teachers, even radio, yeah, even radio.
Speaker 1: So is there anything that parents can do or the schools can do to I mean, it just seems like it's a societal thing. But is there anything that can be done to maybe help a little bit?
Speaker 8: I think you're right right, I mean, but first of all, writing to your state representatives and demanding that the teacher pay be increased or the funding to school districts be increased. Getting involved in the PTA, right, even if if it's your grandkid in school, Not just necessarily your kid, but getting involved in the school. Letting the teachers know that they're appreciated by parental and guardian support of what's happening there. I think that's a good way to show up to I mean, posters as much as anything else. But at the same time, and pat on the back goes a long way for a teacher who's feeling stressed about forty percent of the time.
Speaker 1: So support the teachers, let them know that you support them exactly. I don't think necessarily increasing a paycheck is going to bring job satisfaction. But I think it's that support. Sure, you know I've heard, but money never hurts.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think on top of that, you're right that this moral booster of showing support for the teachers, letting them know that they are appreciated them. You know, teachers are into a lot of stress and I think a lot of them feel kind of isolated out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So as parents, community members, let your teachers know that you support them, because I think you know, by and large, they're all. You know, they're great, They're teaching our children, they're shaping them for the future.
Speaker 8: Yeah, what what job is more important than that?
Speaker 1: Exactly? The radio right abec's Jim Ryan, thanks so much for the update. Yeah, all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A guy sentenced to five years in prison for a series of road rage attacks in La County has been let out after less than one year. The La County DA's office has been criticized for Nathaniel Radamac's early release. This woman, who was in a car radomac attacked with a steel pipe, says District Attorney Gascon should have done more the communication with the DA's office has been poor throughout this process. The sentence was cut short. Radamac was arrested in January of last year. Some of the attacks were recorded on dash camps. In at least two cases, he was seen getting out of his tesla and bashing vehicles with a metal pipe. The Santa Monica City Council has postponed a vote on whether to ban people from sleeping in public spaces.
Speaker 10: The ban would make it illegal for people to sleep on streets with blankets, pillows, and sleeping bags. This woman says she's pretty sure she's seen homeless people dying in the streets, and the band might just help them get the help they desperately need.
Speaker 1: Their brains, their nutrition. There's nothing on the street that's going to help someone help them solved.
Speaker 10: The proposal comes after a Supreme Court ruling in June that allows cities to criminalize people for sleeping in public areas. The councils expected to vote on the band by September tenth.
Speaker 1: Chris Adler KFI News Republican vice presidential nominee jd Vance has gone after Vice President Harris over the Biden administration's withdrawal from Afghanistan. Thirteen US service members were killed at Kabl Airport in twenty twenty one as the US was pulling out. Vance says more should have been done to hold government officials accountable for the chaotic withdrawal.
Speaker 5: I don't think you've.
Speaker 4: Ever had an American military disaster in the history of.
Speaker 7: The country that's of that scale.
Speaker 5: Thirteen dead Americans who should still be alive, and not a single person's been fired.
Speaker 9: I just don't understand that.
Speaker 1: And Van says Vice President Harris won't do an investigation into what happened at Afghanistan's Abbey Gate. A lake in northern California has been turned pink to help scientists. Researchers from the California Department of Water Resources died McLoud Lake because two years ago an algae bloom turn the waters bright green. So this year the lake is fine. The Department of Water Resources says that die is harmless, but it's going to help scientists understand how the lake behaves. The goal is predict and then prevent future algae blooms that can hurt humans, pets, and wildlife. Tonight, the Dodgers take on the Orioles, with the first pitch going out at seven o'clock. You can listen to every play of every Dodger's game on AM five to seventy LA Sports and stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app. The keyword is AM five to seventy LA Sports powered by LA Care for all of LA. Six people have been arrested in La Orange and Ventura Counties and what police are calling a crime tourism ring in southern California. Several of those arrested are from South America. The alleged leaders are from the Santa Clarita Valley. Police say they've robbed homes and stores in the Southland and laundered millions of dollars in cash and valuables. With sixty eight days until election day, former President Trump and his running mate JD. Vans are holding down town halls and rallies in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin today and tomorrow. Vice President Harris and her VP pick Minnesota Governor Tim Walls are on a bus tour of Georgia, with a rally scheduled for today in Savannah. Yelp has filed an anti trust lawsuit against Google. Yelp alleges in its lawsuit filed yesterday, in San Francisco that Google used its monopoly to dominate advertising and manipulate search results. Earlier this month, a federal judge ruled that Google violated US anti trust laws and had monopolized the search market. At six oh five, it's handle all the news. The big day has arrived. Vice President Kamala Harris is going to sit down for an interview, her first one in more than a month since announcing that she will be running for president. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Brad Garrett. So, Brad, the FBI has released details about their investigation into the young man who tried to assassinate former President Trump. So what did they say and what did they not say?
Speaker 6: So they basically talked about online searches by the shooter, things like how far was Oswald from Kennedy? Where will President Trump speak from at the Butler Farm Show? And it goes on and on with sort of variations of that, he did sixty searches on President Trump's and Biden, He did churches on the searches on the RNC, the DNC. But you know, when you look at these search entries, I mean, none of this stuff is a red flag. I mean even searching or ordering the components to a bomb. The components individually aren't a bomb that you and I and obviously he did. You can order them when you make it into a bomb. It's illegal. But I mean, these are types of searches that are did millions of people do every day for for different reasons than obviously this kid was headed.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 6: The other important thing that they said is that they just haven't found a motive. And you know, but that was my concern early on in this case, because nobody said they've found any online profile, they didn't find a manifesto, they hadn't interviewed anybody that this kid had, you know, talked about going and committing a mass shooting, in particular shooting somebody famous. And so I think they released all this information because of the the volumes of misinformation that are being put out on this particular story. Now that of course happens every day. The spin factor of trying to turn things into something they aren't is an everyday occurrence unfortunately well, and.
Speaker 1: Also in the absence of information, people will fill in the gaps. And don't you think that's how the all these conspiracy things get going Because we don't have the information, and so they're like, oh, well it could be this, it could be that, and they start trying to get they they're looking for answers.
Speaker 6: Right, That's that's clear. But I think that's why the FBI held this conference, this news conference yesterday, was to give us at least more information.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 6: I'm sure it's not everything they know, but I think it gives you sort of a clear indicator that you know, this kid is alone actor, there's nobody else involved. That he was looking and these are my words, not theirs. He was just looking for somebody famous to shoot, based on you know what they found on his phone back several weeks ago, you know, pictures of the President, Biden, Farmer, President Trump, the Princess of Wales. There was a couple of other well known people on his phone. Again, I think looking for a particular target that would you get a lot of media attention because of who they are. And that's not uncommon in mass shooters, even the ones that go to their own schools. They may or may not go there to shoot a particular teacher or person. They want to be famous in their own realm, and there's some of that going on with this kid in my view.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so you're saying there's no indication that he had ties to anyone, and that there's still no motive because like all the searches that the FBI did talk about yesterday and showing that they're all benign if they're done individually, how do you stop something like this from happening? How do you profile and find somebody who might do this?
Speaker 6: Well, I'm not sure that you do. There's no information, there's no information out there, and that nobody came forward. Now did this kid say anything to anybody? I don't know. I mean, he's an unusual kid, apparently super super smart, but a big time loner. I mean there was earlier information even at the elder care facility he worked at, he would eat alone. In other words, this is a kid that's just out there alone, which is always, you know, not a healthy sign, even if you're not going to go harm anybody. But I guess the point being being odd, being super smart, doing these searches, not telling anybody what you're going to do, and just planning it in your own head. I mean, what's law enforcement going to do with that?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 6: The different side of this story unrelated to this part is should he have been stopped at the scene, And the answer is yes, he never should have gotten to the position he got into that he should have been stopped before that. But that's a that's a separate investigation in what you and I are talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they didn't talk about that yesterday, right, They were just really releasing the information about the shooter.
Speaker 6: Right, And that's really more on the Secret Service to do. Yeah, because that's the that's their world.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. And should the FBI be releasing any more information or is this pretty standard or actually not that standard that they're releasing information at all? But do you think that they they help their cause, hurt their cause?
Speaker 6: Or it's hard to say. I mean, people who buy in the conspiracy theories are going to continue to listen to news feeds or individuals that tell them wise or just fabricated information. That's going to continue no matter what the FBI does. But I applaud them for doing this. My guess is they get if they get more or have more information they can that they can release, they'll do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I would imagine it's frustrating for them too. Brad Garrett, thank you so much for your time and your information. As always, we appreciate it.
Speaker 6: You're welcome to take care any all right, take care.
Speaker 1: A homeless man has been arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting a woman who was lying on the beach in Santa Monica. The woman was on her stomach reading a book Tuesday, when she says the man climbed on top of her, held her down and started thrusting. And her sister were able to push the man away and get help. Lifeguards flag down police, and they found the twenty five year old homeless man nearby. Police say he has a pending case in Washington State for a similar crime. News brought to you by Semper solaris a man who attacked three kids with a knife at a home in Pasadena's in the hospital.
Speaker 12: The man stabbed himself multiple times before leaving the home. Pasadena Police Lieutenant Monica Kuahar says the man held up the kids, demanding matches or a lighter.
Speaker 10: The juveniles eventually separated from the suspect and then barricade themselves in a bedroom.
Speaker 12: Two of the kids had minor stab wounds. Police found the man Sunday on the ground and bleeding. He'll be arrested once he's out of the hospital. The children's grandma is also facing charges for allegedly leaving the kids home alone with the door unlocked in Pasadena. Blake Trolly k if I News.
Speaker 1: A late summer heat wave that started in the Midwest is now making itself felt along the East coast. The extreme heat has effected more than fifty million people from New York to Philadelphia to DC. This couple says the temperature hit war one hundred where they are.
Speaker 4: As soon as we come out into the sunshine, it's like yeah.
Speaker 7: It's.
Speaker 1: Forecasters say there should be some relief today with rainstorms due to bring down temperatures. Shake Shack is closing five locations in the LA area. The restaurants are in Silver Lake, Koreatown, Downtown, Culver City, Bunker Hill, and at the Westfield to Panga Mall. Shake Shack says it's shutting down the locations because of various factors, including under performance. It didn't say when they'll be closing. Cell phones school will soon be banned if the governor signs a bill passed by lawmakers and Sacramento. It would require school districts to limit or ban student cell phone use during the school day would not apply to during emergency situations. The Phone Free Schools Act is awaiting a final sign off from Governor Newsom. The California Senate has passed a bill making outdoor drinking legal in so called entertainment zones. The measure is supported by restaurants and the California Nightlife Association. It heads to Governor Newsom's desk for his signature. He has thirty days to sign him. United Flight attendants have authorized a nationwide strike if they don't get a new deal with the airline. Off duty flight attendants have already been picketing at LAX. The flight attendants want raises, job security and retirement benefits. This is the first time United Flight attendants have voted for a strike in twenty years. At six oh five, it's handled on the news. A relief organization will no longer be providing relief to the people in Gaza. At five point fifty, former President Trump has stepped in it again. We'll tell you what the kerfuffle is about. His visit to Arlington National Cemetery on Monday. He was there to honor the thirteen US soldiers killed in the withdrawal from Afghanistan. But apparently there's a rift there. Okay, So last week we told you about a pizza vending machine in northern California. We thought it was the only one in California. That's what our information was. We were wrong found out because Lynn Rabisi, who is a professor at Glendale Community College DMed me and said, Amy, we've got one here. So we decided to go out and about to check it out. I mean, because pizza vending machine really, So we caught up with the regional general manager who's responsible for getting these vending machines out into the community. It's Ike Cavalozzi, and we found out that you can get more than pizza at this particular vending machine. So, Ike, you make your selection on the video screen, you pay with either your phone or with a credit card, and the pizza starts cooking. So how long does it take to make overall?
Speaker 9: Two hundred and two seconds two hundred and three seconds to be specific, and then includes the cooking process actually delivery of the food. Once the piece is ready, are going to open the machine? If this is a refrigeration block which holds sixty eight servings of food, different meals, depending on a demand, depending on a popularity, and so depending what meal, what dish goes into the heat block, the element turns on.
Speaker 6: And cooks the food.
Speaker 1: How long have you had this?
Speaker 9: Two and a half years?
Speaker 1: And how is it received? Do people love it?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 9: Receive? I tried different audiences. I would say educationals, fear like colleges, universities the most appreciative of those machines.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, because everybody loves good pizza and what else.
Speaker 9: Sea bowls, chocolate, lava cake, and that's only a few items. We got a Detroit style of thick crust pizza. We got gluten free pizza.
Speaker 1: And how often do you have to refill this?
Speaker 9: It depends on a demand. But actually we're hearing this college at least every other day, but like on the busy days, every day.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 9: It's an AI controlled machine, so whenever the quantity of a product goes in like a critical levels, you know, machine generates the order and so order is being processed in a kitchen. Kitchen is cooking the stuff part baked pizzas or what all the other meals and driver deliversy here.
Speaker 1: I love it, so it keeps you posting. You don't have to like randomly come check it. It tells you, hey, I'm short on pizzas. Oh my god, I love that. Okay, and look, we've got one minute left to go, and then we're going to have a fresh, hot, freshly baked pizza out of a vending machine. I love this. Can't wait to try. I want to I want to get something else too.
Speaker 9: Sure, what would you like?
Speaker 1: The one that we talked about that's in northern California only had pizza. So what else.
Speaker 9: Is pretty good, very proper.
Speaker 1: Let's do that. Okay. So we got our pizza and we got our mac and cheese, and that took like two and a half minutes, and then we even got a dessert. It was a hot chocolate lava cake with fruit and hot marshmallow topping. So now it's time to taste vending machine pizza started out cold cooked in what three minutes? And here it is piping hot. Oh great, that's pizza out of a vending machine. So you've got two conction and got two ovens. Two ovens, yeah, one for pizza and one for the rest. So is it stacked in the machine? It pulls it out and puts it into the.
Speaker 9: Once we're done, I'll open the machine. It's just I think the message we're trying to push was new technology. Your creativity possibilities are imminent, a lot of them. And so you know all you have to do is create. Were ex constantly experimenting with different dishes constantly. You got the chef in our commissary. She always comes up with new ideas. So every two to three months we add at least two dishes.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then I everything's made fresh? Or then do you freeze it?
Speaker 9: Everything is actually everything is made fresh and delivered to the machines.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's no So it's just refrigerated. It's not frozen.
Speaker 9: No, it's refrigerator. It's you know, it expires in five days, but usually sells out in two days.
Speaker 1: So and I do you have to personally taste test everything before you can put it in there? Or not?
Speaker 9: Every meal? We have a very good chef with European experience, with American experience vers Israeli experience.
Speaker 1: So and so is the chef working every day because you're replenishing the machines as they needed quality control.
Speaker 9: I mean, obviously Lione cooks are cooking the chef does quality control and chef does creativity creation of new dishes that happens pretty much every.
Speaker 1: Day, well compliments to the chef. There are ten of these foodture f oo d t u r E footure vending machines in southern California. Most of them are on college campuses like the one we went to at Glendale Community College. There's one at USC, there's one at Cyprus College, there's one at Hotels Saddleback North Orange at cal Poly in Pomona. Foodsure dot net is where you can find out where they are or maybe you even want to get one. But the food was solid, Like I was really surprised it was. It was good. You can see more about it see what the pizza looks like on my ig at amy K King and also at KFI AM six forty And of course I would love it if you would follow me at amy K King And thanks to Ike and thanks to Lynn for setting us up and she brought napkins and we had a little picnic and everything. But the food was good. The macaroni and cheese was so good in that lava cake really good and you know it's quick, it's not very expensive. And it's on the go. I love it, I love it, I love it. Okay, I'm done talking about pizza vending machines, but do go check it out at Amy K.
Speaker 8: King.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The National Weather Services higher temperatures are in the forecast for parts of southern California next week. Forecasters say the Inland Empire, particularly will be one hundred degrees or hotter next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The Weather Services charts show ridges of high pressure move through the Great Basin of Nevada and Utah, and that's going to influence our weather after Labor Day. On the flip side, overnight lows are going to be in the mid sixties, nice and mellow. The owner of Langer's Deli near downtown La says he is hopeful about keeping his business open after meeting with Mayor Bass.
Speaker 10: The streets around the Delhi are crowded with food and merchandise vendors, as well as drug addicted homeless people who are camped out in the area. CEO Norm Langer says if the city doesn't clear the streets, he'll be closing his doors for good.
Speaker 8: I think the biggest thing that's going to hurt is that I'm going to put forty union people out of work, and that hurts because a lot of these people have spent their life here.
Speaker 7: He says.
Speaker 10: The mayor sat down with him Tuesday, hurt his concerns, and told him she'd get back with him in about a week. Langer's customers say they'll be devastated if the iconic deli shuts down after seventy seven years in the city.
Speaker 1: Chris Sadler KFI News, Okay, crime is so bad in Oakland. How bad is it? It's so bad that in the middle of a life saving rescue by Oakland firefighter, someone stole the jaws of life. It's true. Firefighters responded to a car crash on Friday night and the cars involved were just mangled and at least one person was trapped inside. So they pull out these jaws of life. They weigh about fifty pounds and they use that to cut through the records and rescue the person. Well after they used the jaws, Oakland police say firefighters put it down and when they turned around, someone had stolen it. Apparently the fire Department is working with police to try to recover the missing jaws of life. What the heck is wrong with people? The tents have already returned to a large homeless camp at Knackweiler State Beach days after it was cleared. Last week. Cleanup crews removed trash clothes in tents overlapping jurisdictions from city, county, and state manage the beach. Critics are saying that's the main reason the problem's been largely ignored. Robert F. Kennedy, Junior's name will remain on ballance in Michigan. In Wisconsin, he requested his name be taken off since he has suspended his campaign, but election officials in those swing states say he's going to stay on because of legal technicalities. Kennedy, who has endorsed former President Trump, said he wanted to remove his name from those ballots in the key battleground states to help Trump. A new study shows there's a link I love this between living in a tree lined neighborhood and improved heart health. Researchers at the University of Louisville say in low income neighborhoods with trees, people had a thirteen percent lower level of blood markers linked to heart attacks, heart disease, stroke, and some types of can cancer. We're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning. Vice President Harris and Minnesota Governor Walls are sitting down for an interview with CNN tonight. It's Harris's first interview since she announced she's running for president more than a month ago. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Steven Portnoy, and we'll go from Harris over to Trump. And Trump apparently can't do any anything right, not even when he visits Arlington National Cemetery to honor the soldiers killed in the suicide bombing during the US withdrawal from Afghanistan.
Speaker 4: Your characterization maybe not mine, but let me just explain what we're talking about. This is a controversy that's been building since Tuesday, when NPR was first to report that there was an altercation at the cemetery between Trump campaign staffers and a cemetery official who was trying to enforce the federal law that prohibits campaign related activities on the grounds of America's national military cemeteries. Now, the Trump campaign says that this particular staffer was suffering a mental episode and was deranged in some way.
Speaker 1: Is Wait, the Trump staffer was sufferings.
Speaker 4: No, the cemetery staff cemetery staffer.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, let me.
Speaker 4: Take that again. The Trump campaign as saying that the army official who tried to enforce the federal law was suffering some sort of mental episode. Okay, expressed some sort of derangement as she tried to prevent the Trump aids from going on and taking video and photographs of Trump posing for pictures with the family members. This happened in Section sixty of Arlington Cemetery, where America's most recent war dead are buried. And while the family members who posed for the photographs said that they invited Trump and they were glad to have him there, there are other family members who've spoken to news organizations who were not there, who say that they see this as disgraceful that their loved ones gravesite would be used as a backdrop for a political campaign photo op. This all happened on the third year marking the deaths of thirteen American service members who were killed in the suicide bombing at Abbey Gate.
Speaker 1: That was where there was.
Speaker 4: The outside the Kabble Airport during the frenetic, chaotic US withdrawal from Afghanistan in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: JD.
Speaker 4: Vance was asked about this yesterday at a Camp PA stop in Erie, Pennsylvania, and here's what he said, unprompted.
Speaker 5: Kamala Harris is so asleep at the wheel that she won't even do an investigation into what happened. And she wants to yell at Donald Trump because he showed up.
Speaker 1: She can go to hell. JD.
Speaker 4: Vans yesterday in Erie, Pennsylvania. And the crass language that he used yesterday about the vice president is also getting attention. The I mean, I don't even know where else to go with this except to say that the Trump campaign says that there's video of this altercation which has not been released. I don't know how it would benefit the Trump campaign to have it be released. But yesterday there was a mashup we used to call it a montage of the Trump appearance at Arlington that was released by the Trump campaign on TikTok okay.
Speaker 1: And you say altercation. When I think of altercation, I think of a physical fight. Was it a verbal fight? Was there pushing and shoving? Do we know?
Speaker 4: Well, we don't know it has been described that way by the NPR reporter who first broke the story on Tuesday, and it has been described as an incident by the Army, which released a statement following the report. And I don't know what else to say about it except that you have the Trump people saying that this person was mentally unstable and deranged. You have the Army saying that this individual who works for the cemetery was trying to enforce the federal law prohibiting campaign activities. You have the NPR reporter who has sources saying it was a physical altercation. And you have the Trump campaign denying that but saying there's video of it, which they threaten to release and haven't released. You have the New York Times reporting that this Army official has declined to press charges because she fears some sort of blowback or harassment from Trump supporters on the internet or otherwise. It is a messy situation. And you have have the vice presidential nominee of the Republican Party telling the sitting vice president to go to hell.
Speaker 1: Well there's that. Could Trump be in real trouble for this or is it not him directly? Or do we even I don't know about trouble.
Speaker 4: Look, I mean, I think at the end of the days for public consumption, it's for the Americans to decide how they feel about it. And some people might say it's no big deal and much ado about nothing. And by the way, the family members of those who pose for pictures agree with that sentiment that they wanted Trump. They're glad that Trump was there, They're upset that Kamala Harris and Joe Biden were not there, and that that is something that they want paid attention to. And there are others who say that this is an example of Trump making himself the center of the story and violating forms and rules when it comes to things like this.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we've got sixty eight days until the election. I'm expecting to see lots more things like this.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, ABC, Stephen Portner, thank you for filling in some of the blanks for us. We appreciate it. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The City of la is looking to speed up its hiring process for government jobs.
Speaker 5: Applicants are often tied up in bureaucracy and lengthy reviews, leading many city jobs to remain unfilled. City council Woman Monica Rodriguez says the current hiring process takes too long, in part because of time spent going after candidates who've moved on.
Speaker 13: We shouldn't be laboring and exhausting staff time for candidates that are demonstrating a disinterest in continuing in the process.
Speaker 5: The city council voted to have a report on how individual departments may be better suited to handle their own hiring in downtown La Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A group has sued to challenge the environmental study used to approve Orange County's first veteran cemetery in Anaheim Hills. Lawyer Beverly Grossman Palmer says the city submitted a misleading study that does not help the state decide.
Speaker 11: Whether it really does make sense to put that cemetery in Gypsum Canyon or whether the site in Irvine on the former Marine Corps Air Station El Toro might be preferable from both a cost and historic perspective.
Speaker 1: Irvine tried for years but couldn't get the community to agree on a location within the Great Park Anaheims Mayer says, Since then, all thirty four cities in Orange County and the Veteran community have agreed to Gypsum Canyon. Newport Beach has cast off its fifteenth public pier, plugged in an electric boat charging station, and launched Sparky, a new electric patrol boat.
Speaker 2: A state grant paid for half of the quarter million dollar boat, which Newport Harbor Master Paul Blank says is the first electric patrol boat for a public agency in the nation.
Speaker 3: It seems very fitting that the first all electric work boat would be delivered to Newport Harbor, where the first all electric recreational boat was invented a little more than fifty years.
Speaker 2: Ago, he says. In addition to the new pier, so Cow's first electric boat charging station also open Tuesday to serve the more than two thousand electric recreational boats in Newport Harbor. In Newport Beach, Corbin Carson KFI.
Speaker 1: News, a NASA astronaut from California is headed to space. Johnny Kim is from la He graduated from the University of San Diego. He'll be heading to the International Space Station in March of next year on a Soyuz spacecraft. KIM is scheduled to spend eight months on the space station with another NASA astronaut and two cosmonauts. This is KFI and KOSTHD, two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.