Speaker 1: And here we are at the Friday Minnesota Goodbye with me, Dave and Jenny and Bailey. Let's get started with the emails and thanks for sending the emails. Here is one from Jessica. She says, we recently hired a girl born and raised in Canada. During the interview, I said, well, I just got back from maternity leave, and she said, well, how old my baby was? I said, well, he's a little over twelve weeks old. Her jaw dropped in disbelief. She could not believe that I was already back to work full force after having a baby only twelve weeks prior, and on top of it a c section berth. I think three months is kind of the standard in America. It got me thinking, how brainwashed. I'm not sure if that's the right word for it. Our society is when it comes to women having babies and going back to work in such a short period of time. In Canada, new moms are allowed up to a year or more of maternity leave, while here in the United States we only get twelve weeks and more than likely unpaid paid leave. Okay, I didn't know. Is it unpaid when you go on maternity leave?
Speaker 2: Well, it depends on the company. I know that.
Speaker 3: I think iHeart maybe has changed. But Fallon had to use her sick days when she went on my materially to get paid, and then after that when she used all those up, she didn't get paid after that.
Speaker 4: So yeah, some people use like long term disability when they're pregnant too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know how it works, but I wonder if it has something to do with like the government. I don't know if the government helps kick in, because if you go on maternity leave for a year then and if they keep paying you, then that money's got to come from somewhere. Maybe they tax different in Canada. I don't know. I don't know. Somebody explained to me how it works. I really truly don't know if maternity leave is paid or unpaid or partially paid. And maybe it does depend on the company. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: In America it definitely does. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know that Chase got paternity leave, and that was something that I never got. He got like five weeks of paternity five maybe eight, I don't know, crap, and that was not a thing when my kids were born.
Speaker 4: I wonder if he had to negotiate for that or if that was just a given.
Speaker 1: I truly don't know. Let us know. Send us your experience with maternity leave. Thinking about this all also made me realize that returning to work is no easy or slow is no easy or slow moving process. I felt my work pairs peers kind of overlooked the huge life experience change that I had endured and kind of brushed it off, expecting me to pick up where I left off, same workload and expectations as before. I mean, I just had to drop my baby off with daycare to take care of them while also being postpartument struggling to heal both physically and mentally. I feel like our society has such huge expectations for moms with no real understanding of just how much we are going through after birthing a human. My son will be one year old at the end of the month, and just looking back on that time of my life is really eye opening. I really feel like America needs to reevaluate how we see birth for new moms, dads, and families, as well as maternity leave and most of all, return to work. Not sure what I want to get out of this email, but it's kind of been on my mind and I want to talk about it. Thanks so much for your time, Love you guys. From Jessica. I wish we had a mom on the show to talk about this, but we don't.
Speaker 2: So don't have the experience, so I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you know anything about it, let me know. All right, here comes I'm going to set up the equipment here so we can hear this. This is our random rant from you Guessed It, jan Needa. Let me set everything up so we'll get to push that button, this button, this button, turn that knob up, and fire this up and kickstart this over here. We are now ready. Here comes Wannita's rant.
Speaker 5: So my daughter just recently passed our driver's test, so now she has her license. So instead of buying a fifth vehicle, we decided to give her my car, which is a BMW five thirty five I forty two thousand miles paid off, not a scratch on it, perfect vehicle. We told her she can have that car so she can get go to school and to work. She looked at us and she says, I don't want that. So my husband instantly put his hand over my mouth because he knew I was gonna say something, because what I started to say was bitch, are you crazy? But instead I said, what the fuck is wrong with you? Who turns down a free BMW? I swear to God, these kids have lost their brain cells by walking around in the summer time when it was one hundred and seventeen degrees outside with their hoods on, shan has baked their brain cells. Who turns down a BMW? So my husband asked her what does she want? She said she wants a rubicon. So, after we sat down and tatted it up how much it was gonna cost her to own her own rubicon and pay her own insurance, she says under her breath, I'll just take the BMW. Fucking teenagers pissed me off? What the hell is wrong with them? Well that's my rant for the week, and I wanted to ask the question, do you remember remember what your first car was? Because I know mine was a ragged ass old mobile Cutlass Sierra. The damn sure wasn't a BMW. Well thanks for your listening to my rants, Love you guys. Bye.
Speaker 1: Uh think about Anita. That is funny that a BMW. I don't know how old it is, but if it's only got forty two thousand miles on it. That's not a whole lot. That's not an old old car.
Speaker 4: No BMW two, that's a fancy car.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I I didn't get a car until I was twenty one years old. I would have taken any fucking beater of a sort that anything my parents would have given to me. I didn't have a car for so long.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't have a car until I was in college. And it was my grandma's old car, like she couldn't drive it anymore because she was like a billion years old. Yeah, and so I got her car. It was a nineteen ninety four Toyota Corolla.
Speaker 1: Into the ground nice. My first car was. It was a Volkswagen Bug. It was was not a new one when my mom bought it. That was her car for a few years. Then she handed it off to my brother, and then he gooped it all up by trying to modify it himself. He put exhaust on it, he put a hurst shifter, it doesn't matter, it's a shifter that looked cool. And then he put a stereo in it and that caught on fire a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Well he wired it himself. And so it was an old Volkswagen Bug and it would break down quite frequently and burn oil like crazy. So that was my first car. It was a pale yellow.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm just like thinking of all the bugs I saw, because you know, I don't see many Volkswing and bugs out there anymore. But like I used to when I was in high school and there was maybe one kid who had one, and we were like, oh, they have the coolest car.
Speaker 4: I always wanted one so bad. I was like, this is this is the top of the line car. A Volkswagen Bug that's yellow and you put one of those little flowers that soaks up the sun and then it like shifts.
Speaker 1: Back and forth. I want you to Google search nineteen seventies traffic picture. Nearly every picture that you see in the nineteen seventies will have several Volkswagen Bugs in it. They were the most common car ever. I googled. Then the first picture that popped up, there's a Volkswagen bus right in the front. I'm going to count. That is a traffic jam, and I'm going to count the Volkswagen Bugs. I see four right away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see the way we're talking about too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there's I mean, Volkswagen Bugs were so common in the seventies.
Speaker 2: They're so cute.
Speaker 1: They really were a cute little car. They were affordable. They could take the engine out and put a new engine in in like fifteen minutes. And they were they were you know, I mean, they were practical and cheap and people loved them. And then they went away, probably in the eighties. I think. Then they brought them back in the nineties and they were very cute. But those were an interesting little fun fact. Original Volkswagen Bugs were rear engine car. When they remade them in the nineties they were a front engine car.
Speaker 3: Okay, I know you don't know what that matter. I just don't know how that matters. Yeah, or another it's.
Speaker 1: A fun fact.
Speaker 2: Oh I see, ha ha ha ha.
Speaker 1: Okay, next one. Let's see what I've got here. Okay, here we go, Dave, Jenny vont Bailey. I my name is Bree. I'm a long time listener and a huge fan of your show. I keep meaning to write in to ask Dave if he's seen the documentary on Max called Six Schizophrenic Brothers. It follows the Galvin family from Colorado Springs, who I first heard about from Dave. I read the book Hidden Valley Road after Dave mentioned it and the connection to his hometown in Colorado. It is a fascinating watch. If you haven't seen it, you should check it out. I hope to hear this on the Minnesota Goodbye. It is the first thing I put on in my car after work. Love you all, Dart lick p One. Can I get a staff writer sticker? Please? I will write me back. You forget to include your address, which is funny because people ask for a staff writer sticker and half of them forget their address because you just don't think about it. But of course I'll send you one. Yeah. I read the book. It's called The Hidden Valley Road. I heard about it from Oprah and it is. It's this family. They're an air Force family and they are you know, they lived right near the Air Force Academy and the dad was a very prestigious Air Force instructor and the mom was, you know, your typical nineteen seventies mom, sixties seventies mom that stayed home. And I think they had I want to say, fourteen kids. It is ridiculous, and the kids, more than half of them developed schizophrenia and were violent and dangerous and awful and horrible, and then half of them were pretty normal. But the normal ones had to put up with everything from sexual abuse to violence from the sick ones, and the mom and dad they wanted to keep their standing of being such the perfect Air Force family that they wouldn't do anything about it. They would just basically try to control these kids themselves. Even if your kids are I guess you could say normal and healthy, Having fourteen kids is of fuck. You can't even imagine.
Speaker 4: No, I would not want that many kids.
Speaker 1: It's called six schizophrenic brothers, and it really is good. Thanks for bringing it up, bree Neil writes in he says, a couple of weeks ago, you were talking about Skyline Chili trying to break a Guinness record for uploading so many photos to Instagram in an hour or something. I think it was on you can't make this stuff up anyway. It was a non news story, but it made me remember that I was part of a world record. It might sound lame, but hear me out. I was part of one one hundred and forty five people carrying water jugs on their head at the same time fourteen. You're probably saying that's just dumb. Loll was for a good cause. The school I taught at had a program where they raise money to build clean water wells and seau Sudan. Over the years, they were raised over fifty two thousand dollars for this cause. Walking with a jug of water on my head was simple, but the hard work was done by a teacher who arranged all of it. So my question is, do any of you have a world record? Over the years you talk about walking upstairs with skyscrapers, sitting in every seat in an arena, maybe you four should break some sort of record. Love the show and podcasts always dart Lick licked Dart Neil in Atlanta, Georgia. I think that I knew a radio DJ many years ago who stayed on the radio for like at the record time was then ninety six hours, and I don't think he slept the entire time, and just awful. You can't imagine that is like four days of no sleep. I really don't think I've sat in every seat at several arenas. I sat in every seat at the Exil Energy Center when it first opened. I sat in every seat at an Arena in Phoenix One in Ohio, Ohio Stadium where the Buckeye play. I sat in every single seat. That took a week to do, but it's not a world record. And then I sat in Thomas and Max Center in Las Vegas. I sat in every single seat and I would never do it again. I'm too old to do it now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, because you're going up down, up down, up down, updown.
Speaker 1: You're sitting standing, sitting standing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And a friend of mine is in radio and he lives in Indianapolis, and he said, Dave, you know, I know you've done that seating record thing. I want to try it at the arena here in Indianapolis. And I said, okay, before you do, before you commit to it on the radio, go down to the arena and try it and gauge whether you think you could do it or not. And he's like, oh, okay. He goes down to the arena. He calls me a few hours later and he's like, oh my god, I'm so glad that you gave me that advice, because there's no fucking way I would be able to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because he was a little bit older, thirty eight.
Speaker 4: Right, but still thirty eight knees are different than twenty two knees.
Speaker 1: Right, exactly. Yeah, So I don't know, do you guys ever been part of a world record or close to a world record.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think we did something outside of my elementary school and we all like hugged the school and held hands. And I don't know if it was at an attempt to break the biggest amount of people chained to eat or not chain but like other holding hands. But I don't know if it was an attempt at a world record or if it was for something specific. But that's the only thing I can think of was the Dave when you guys did the flag after nine to eleven. That wasn't any kind That was just to support the Yeah, just support it. Yeah, we it was something for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't a world record. It was just like we had right after nine to eleven. We it is pretty genius. They printed up a bunch of red, white and blue cards and figured out a way to have people hold them on a football field at the National Sports Center in Blaine and form a giant American flag with all these red, white and blue cards. And it really was very amazing to look at and I used to have the picture in my office somewhere, but then it got broken and I threw it away because whatever I mean. You know, you can't save everything. But no, not really a record. We did do at the Metrodome what we thought was going to be the world's largest musical chairs, and it didn't go off and we didn't have enough people or something. I don't remember, but that was the only one we tried.
Speaker 2: Now that would have taken forever too.
Speaker 1: It really would. And I think that we I think we took out a bunch of chairs at a time rather than eliminate one person. I think we took out twenty at a time. I don't remember.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've never been in a world record. I have nothing to contribute to this. I've never done any world record anything. My friends aren't that interesting.
Speaker 1: Well, I think then people look up world records in the Guinness Book and they go, well, let's find one we can do. It's like, we'll dribble a basketball, okay, Well, what's the world record six days?
Speaker 4: I'm like, fronco, I'll pass. Like I don't need to make a record out of.
Speaker 1: Anything, all right. That is really, honestly kind of it. Is there anything else you guys want to bring up on the Minnesota Goodbye?
Speaker 2: My mom's mad at me right now?
Speaker 1: Why is your mom mad at you?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 3: Andrew and I are going back to Wisconsin this weekend and we're bringing the camper van back because my family hasn't seen it. And we also when we go back to Wisconsin, we sleep in my mom's uncomfortable bed and she sleeps in like this really shitty bed she has in like the one open guest bedroom now, and so we're like, well, we'll just sleep in the van because we really like our bed in our van. It's very comfortable. And I told her that last night on the phone and she's like, Jenny, why would you do that? And I'm not exaggerating, that's how she responds to things a lot of times.
Speaker 2: And she's like, that's just ridiculous, like you have a bed and blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: And I was like, yeah, but we like love our bed and honestly, your bed is not very comfortable. And we're literally just going to be like outside your house versus like down the hall, like why is it that big of a deal, And she just gets so up in arms about things. And I know I'm not a parent, and I know that I don't see my family very often because honestly, I haven't been home for like eight months. It's been a long time. So I get it that she just wants to spend as much time. Yeah, but my mom just like if things don't go exactly how she wants someone we're home, she gets upset. And I told her, like my younger sister, she lives with my mom right now, and she's going down to Chicago on Saturday. So I was like, well, I'll sleep in Katie's bed probably Saturday night, but I'm telling you, Andrew's going to sleep in that all weekend. Andrew sleeps in that van when we bring it to like his grandpa's cabin. That's beautiful up in loots and sometimes like he'll sleep in the van, that's how much he loves it. So anyway, she's upset with me, and I'm just like, I get it, I'm not a parent, but also I'm still there, like we're there.
Speaker 1: Still there, I was in the van. As a parent, I would be fine with that. I'd be happy that you're coming. I'm just impressed that the bed in your camper van is comfortable enough that you want to sleep in there?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because most camper beds, I would imagine are not that comfortable. I will tell you this one. Does Cindy want you and Andrew to sleep in her bed?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So were her bed.
Speaker 2: We would sleep in her.
Speaker 1: Now that's weird because my relatives used to come and my mom and dad would give them their bed to sleep in, And even as a little kid, I thought, that's freaking weird. I don't want to sleep in your bed. I want to sleep in the guest room.
Speaker 3: The way it works is it's only a full bed in the guest room. The other room is what was my old room. But now my younger sister moved in with my mom after a breakup, and so that was a queen bed and we used to sleep in that one and then ever since then now she has that bed. And so it was either a really uncomfortable full bed that's small or my mom's like queen bed. And so my mom just like said, you guys can have the queen bed, like that's fair. I'll sleep in the smaller bed while you guys don't care. So that's why it is, just because we're two people versus one.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll just be like, Mom, now you can stay in your own bed.
Speaker 2: I know, I don't I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't get it, but whatever, It's one of those little things that I just like let her get angry about, but in the end, we're still going to sleep in the camper vans.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When I was around your age, i'd go visit my mom and dad, and a lot of the time I wouldn't stay at their house. I would stay at a hotel, like, you know, ten fifteen minutes away. And I'm looking back, I don't remember why. I don't remember, because they had plenty of room, and I had my old bedroom and it wasn't a whole lot different than it was when I lived in that room. I don't remember, But I think I just liked the privacy. I don't remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it is.
Speaker 3: Though. You get to a point where you get to an age where you're like, I don't really want to stay at my parents because I said that to my mom that we might be getting into airbnb when we come home for holidays now, And that was a whole whole fucking thing.
Speaker 1: So that is not happening, all right, any comments on anything, send us an email to Ryan's show at KADIWB dot com. Shout out to Juanita for the rant, and we look forward to your email on the Minnesota Goodbye. If you've never written before, but listen every day, hey, maybe you'll get an inspiration of something that you want to write in about random, short, long. Let us know ryanshow at KADIWB dot com and we'll see you next time on the Minnesota Goodbye. Thank you for listening.