Speaker 1: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call. Hey, it's Heatherbrooker. Good morning. It is five eighteen on your wake up call. We've had a little bit of a shuffle this morning, a truffle shuffle because I overslept a little bit. You know, we've had some people outstick this week here at KFI. That's why I'm here at filling in for miss Amy King, who is still under the weather, not feeling well, and in my attempt to kind of help myself feel better and make sure I didn't get sick, I might have had a little too much cough ser up last night, a little bit too much of the testing, but so I overslept a little bit. So that's why things are feeling just a little bit off this morning. But don't worry. We are going to get you back on track. We're here now, we have got all the news of the day, and I'm going to lay off the tussin for a little while, but we are going to go ahead right now and talk live with Rich jamiro Good.
Speaker 3: Morning, Rich, Hey, good morning to you, Heather. No worries, it happens.
Speaker 2: I know that You've worked a long time in morning television as well. You and I were together years ago in morning TV at KTLA. So but this is the first time I've ever actually been late, and like I'm I'm sort of mortified. So please forgive me.
Speaker 3: No worries. I only set one alarm because you know what, we are humans. I wake up every day very very early, and on the off chance I don't wake up or something happens, you know what, that's life. So we all roll with it.
Speaker 2: We just roll with it. That's right. Well, let's talk about what you're rolling with right now. I want to hear about the latest from Google Io. What's happening over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Google Io is happening right now in Mountain View where I am. And this is Google's kind of big conference where they show off all the cool things they're working on. In years past, it's been a lot on Android and of course search, but this year it's all about AI. So two new things that you can try out right now. Number one, AI mode. This is the coolest new way to search Google. Look for it. When you go on that search page, it'll say AI mode or you might see a button, But basically Google is now doing the search for you, So instead of returning a bunch of blue links, it will search the web, scour through millions of websites, and then return what I call a book report with just the information you need. And you can get really specific with your request. You can say something that's never been asked before, like, hey, can you compare bikes for kids ages ten and thirteen? And I want one of them to have pink wheels, whatever, and it will figure that out for you. The second thing Heather is called Gemini Live, and this allows you to point your phone, your phone's camera at something and talk with AI about it. So it's pretty much like having the smartest person you've ever interacted with in your entire life in your pocket. And that is now available across Android and iOS. Previously this was just for Android folks. So now with iOS you can download the Gemini app from Google, point your camera at something and literally have a conversation. It is quite incredible.
Speaker 2: That is so cool. You know, I heard you mentioning the other day when you're something about when you're getting returns on Google searches, sometimes it kind of gives you just the highlights and like from articles or you know things that it might have grabbed from searches, and it's not always accurate. Is that what Gemini Live is or is that something different?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean, well it's all AI, so I mean basically everything that's evolving at AI. But you have to just be careful because no matter what, if AI is giving you a response, it's not guaranteed to be right. And so the two things I just mentioned. The AI mode, what they do is they put links to almost everything that you that it returns to you, so that you can go and double check that link if you're like, wait a second, they said, you know, five million people live in this city and I think it's more like ten. Let me check that link and see where they got that from. And then with Gemini, same thing. I mean, it's an AI creation, So this thing is sort of an embodied AI voice, and the information behind it is just as good as AI can be. So you just have to keep in mind that just because AI is telling you something doesn't mean it's one hundred percent accurate.
Speaker 2: And let's talk about something that I think a lot of maybe teens and preteens might be excited about about Fortnite finally making its way back to the iPhone.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, what a long saga this has been. It's been nearly five years, but Fortnite is officially back on the iPhone and iPad. I expect productivity in the United States to take a nosedive today as everyone redownloads this to their phone. But this was all about the way you could make purchases on the iPhone. This game got fed up with the fact that Apple would take a thirty percent cut on pretty much anything you purchased for this game. Apple saying, you know what, we created the iPhone, we created the app store, we get a cut of everything. And this developer said, you know what, We're actually going to fight you on that, and it took them five years to win. But now every app on the iPhone has the ability to give you other options for payments, so you don't have to pay through the app store. You might be able to pay through PayPal, you might be able to pay through a website through a third party payment method. And what that means is that developers have to pay or can pay less to Apple as a commission, which means prices could I say, could could be lower for us in the end.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then Amazon has a new assistant that's going to give shoppers a little cash back. What is that about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is really cool. I've never seen anything like this before with Amazon. So this is a new shopping extension called shop Back. This is popular in Australia. It just came to the United States. They're hoping to make a big splash and so on pretty much every Amazon order you can now get a dollar back. They also support popular retailers like Walmart, best By, Macy's, Expedia, and they just give you cash back if you have this installed on your phone or your browser. And the whole point here, Heather is this company makes money, you know, partnering with these sites and getting you ultimately to shop more and spend more money. So they also do these things called quests, which are like, you know, little things you do to make extra money on your shopping. So right now they're offering like ten dollars back if you spend two hundred dollars, five dollars back if you use this for the first time, you can cash out to PayPal. And I got to say, I'm quite impressed. I have it installed on my browser and I've got the link on my website, Rich on tech dot TV if you want to try it out.
Speaker 2: That's so cool. Well, it sounds like you're learning a lot and having a lot of it. I know you're in heaven with with you know, events like this and things like this. I'm sure you're having a really good time.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. I get to hang out with all the coolest nerds in the world and talk technology. It is I mean literally to get to talk to the people at Google that actually create the stuff we use on a daily basis to me is like the coolest thing ever. So I'm like, hey, I have a suggestion for you, and they're like, I think time's up.
Speaker 4: Rich.
Speaker 2: They're like, we got it, we got it. Oh that's so fun. Well, thank you so much for your time so morning, and thank you for your patience and helping me roll with it. Hopefully we'll get everything back on.
Speaker 3: Track now, no worries. Have a great day.
Speaker 2: Thanks Rich. All right, we'll talk soon. All right, our talk back this morning on the iHeartRadio app. Give me a call, let me know, or give us a little drop us a note if you will, and let us know a time where you've been late to work. We'd love to hear your stories, and we'll try to get those in at the bottom of the show today. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The US military has completed a successful test launch of an unarmed nuclear missile from northern Santa Barbara County.
Speaker 5: The launch from Vandenburg Space Force Space took place just after midnight. The weapon that was tested as a minute Man three intercontinental ballistic missile, the icbm's re entry vehicle, traveled about forty two hundred miles to another test site within the Republic of the Marshall Islands. Military officials say the launch was routine and was scheduled years in advance. Daniel Martindale, CAFI News Huntington Beach.
Speaker 2: Republican Senator Tony Strickland says California's high speed rail project is hemorrhaging from self inflicted wounds. He tells kfi's John Cobalt his colleagues in the Senate need to discuss whether the high speed project should be axed.
Speaker 3: I'm welcoming Dojin and the Solo government coming in an audit this whole high speed rail because there's no way there spending these billions of dollars, and we haven't laid down one track.
Speaker 2: He says. The public's trust in the project is already low because the cost has swelled up beyond the original proposal. After weeks of tense negotiations, those Republicans appear ready to take their massive reconciliation bill, nicknamed the One Big Beautiful Bill, to the next step. Right now, we're going to talk to ABC Stephen Portnoy. He has the overnight developments from Capitol Hill. Good morning, Stephen, Hey, good morning to you. Uh.
Speaker 6: We're waiting waiting for the Rules Committee to receive the manager's amendment from the Speaker that would reflect any changes that he's prepared to make to get the holdouts on board. I know a lot of you know, oh, the Rules Committee is meeting. Yes, that's true, but that's a placeholder. It's perfunctory. All the overnight back and forth is performative. What really matters is what's going on behind closed doors, not on camera, not in the committee room, but it is sort of in the backstage place where this is all dressed up and we don't yet know exactly what kind of concession Speaker Johnson's prepared to make to get the holdouts on board. There are conservative holdouts who say that this bill doesn't cut enough, and there are moderate holdouts who demand a greater increase in the deduction for stint in lowe taxes, and they hail from places such as California, New York, and New Jersey. And yesterday they issued a joint statement saying that they expect meaningful changes to get themselves on board. And according to Andy Harris, who's a conservative from Maryland who chairs the House Freedom Caucus, he said in an interview this morning that the bill actually got worse overnight, not a good sign for Speaker Johnson, who hopes to have this bill on the floor of the House today.
Speaker 2: So how much influence does President Trump have over these negotiations, especially when it comes to moderates.
Speaker 6: Not a lot, because if he had more leverage and more power, he would have achieved yesterday the unanimity that he sought to when he went up to Capitol Hill. But after he spoke to the congressman, the takeaway was that there was still a number of holdouts enough to kill it. So let's see what more needle threading the Speaker can accomplish.
Speaker 2: So if the House Rules Committee clears the bills in what does the next expected timeline? Does it go right to the floor.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 6: If the Rules Committee receives the manager's amendment again, the Speaker of the House holds this bill in his hands, he's got to make the tweaks. If he delivers that those tweaks to the Rules Committee, you'd expect the Rules Committee would pass it and then it would wind up on the floor for passage. He wants that to happen today.
Speaker 2: All right, well, we will keep an eye out and see if it happens. Thank you so much, Steven, have a wonderful rest of your day. You bet all right it it's time now to get in your business. With Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe up in your business. I know, I know, I was like, should I keep it? I'm gonna keep doing it. I don't want to Amy to be like, what have you done to my beautiful Bloomberg segment.
Speaker 1: It was actually funny, I was.
Speaker 4: I was saying off Mike earlier, how much I am, how much I love getting up in my.
Speaker 2: Business, everyday business.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm in New Yorker, I'm looking for a fight in the morning.
Speaker 2: I love that. All right. Well, let's talk about what Toyota is doing doubling down on those hybrids.
Speaker 4: Huh yes, so demand for hybrid cars, it's definitely skyrocketed in recent years, and Toyota has emerged as a market leader here in the US. And this report is sponsored by Fidelity Wealth Management. Now, the car maker is discontinuing the gas only version of the best selling RAP four, instead offering standard and plug in hybrids later this year.
Speaker 1: The current RAP for that debuted seven.
Speaker 4: Years ago, but it's begun to show the signs of age, as we all do. But it's still the top selling vehicle in the US outside of pickups. But Toyota is also thinking about tiny trucks. The automakers looking into offering a compact pickup in the US, potentially joining Ford and Hyundai in competing in this specific market.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I would want a tiny truck. I used to have a big F one fifty, and I like I like a bigger truck. But you know, maybe it's where some people might be into it.
Speaker 4: But apparently Toyota management has been saying that they have been getting requests from the dealers that they want a truck smaller than the Tundra, which is the mid size version and the full sized Coma, but there is still no timeline on if a small truck will be launched, so you don't have to worry about going violince.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, okay, good good. All right, So let's talk about Target. They're seeing shoppers continue to hold on to their wallets and not head out there.
Speaker 7: Huh.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Targe has been facing a lot of challenges, So the retailer has been struggling with consumers who are spending less on clothes, home.
Speaker 1: Goods, other non necessities in the past two years.
Speaker 4: That's a bulk of what they sell and it looks like it's not changing anytime soon. Target sees continued weakness and spending. Also, you can't forget about the uncertainty over tariffs, so a forecast a decline in sales this year. But executives say that they're also adjusting prices in response to the environment.
Speaker 1: That's a fancy way of price hikes are on the way.
Speaker 4: But one thing that was interesting is they didn't directly link the changes to tariffs.
Speaker 1: They are saying environment.
Speaker 4: Walmart said last week that price hikes were on the way, and that definitely got Donald Trump quite mad. So you see here that they were very careful with the language on saying that there are price hikes on the way.
Speaker 2: But people are still spending on their homes.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no doubt about it.
Speaker 4: It's a very different story this week from the home improvement retailers.
Speaker 1: People are still doing small fixes.
Speaker 4: Many continue to put off the big projects due to high interest rates, but they're pursuing the smaller ones and that's helping loads which report a quarterly sales at top expectations, saying yesterday Home Depot said sales ticked up in the US, boosted by small projects. But the company also said it expects to keep their current level of pricing, so not many price hikes on the way, because they said the defer their supply chain is quite diversified.
Speaker 2: Okay, always a good time talking with you. I have no idea what's going to happen tomorrow. I may not be here, I may be here. Who knows. We're going to roll with it and we're going to be well.
Speaker 1: We're always getting up in our business no matter what.
Speaker 2: Next time I talk to you, what will be getting up in your business Courtney. Thank you so much. Have a great day you too, See you later. All right, you guys, Once again, we are taking your talkbacks here at wake Up Call. Just press that talkback button on the iHeartRadio app. A few stories are already coming in. Share your story with me of the time you were late to work. What happened? Did you get fired, did you get high fived? Did you just roll the entire shift? What happened? Just hit that talkback button and we'll try to share some of the stories before the end of the show today. If you haven't heard so far this morning, we are taking your talkbacks here on wake Up Call. Hit that talkback button on the iHeart Radio app. Tell me about a time that you overslept and what happened. I want to hear your story this morning. But right now we are going to talk about sleep and hitting that snooze button with ABC's Jim Ryan. Good morning, Jim morning.
Speaker 9: I think my worst experience was sleep. Falling asleep in an airport terminal and missing my flight. No waking up, look around and everybody's gone like, oh.
Speaker 2: Great, oh no, were you able to catch another flight? I'm assuming all right, So let's talk about this study, why are we hitting the snooze button.
Speaker 9: Because we're not getting enough sleep at night. That's the long and short of it. Researchers that took a look at this to see exactly what's going on there and found that, in fact, more than half of the world is hitting the snooze button. Mass General Brigham did this study. They looked at watch data or fitness data from twenty one thousand people around the world, which is pretty representative to see how much sleep people are getting at night and whether they're hitting the snooze button and the quality of sleep they get between the initial alarm and the snooze button. And I'll tell you, at least according to the researcher I talked with yesterday, it's not very good quality sleep. It's fragmented, it's not restorative, it's not RESTful. You just kind of dry yourself out of bed after hitting the snooze alarm a couple of times, and it's not really doing you much good.
Speaker 2: Well, I am not a snooze person, but I certainly just wants the alarm. We'll just close my eyes maybe for a few more minutes. This morning, I didn't hear the alarm at all. So that's also another problem. Why what is this, Why are we doing this? Why are researchers saying that our brains and bodies you know, want to hit that's snooze button, and why isn't it helpful that we can get an extra ten minutes.
Speaker 9: Well, you know, it's a symptom as much as anything else. It means that you're not getting enough sleep at night. So the advice from these researchers and others is that you need to try to get to bed earlier, try to figure out what your optimally is, what a sweet spot is for your sleep schedule, and it's different for different people. Some folks, Conano gets along with three hours sleep at night, some folks need ten hours sleep at night, and then most of us are somewhere in between. Right, So you find that that sweet spot, then back time it so that you're getting to bed at the proper time and instead of you know, hitting the sleep you know, thinking all right, I'm gonna set my alarm for six thirty and if I can't get up, I'll hit the snooze get up at six thirty five. Just set the initial alarm for six thirty five and get out of bed. Come on.
Speaker 2: Oooh, all right, maybe sees Jim Ryan telling us how to get it going. I'm going to I need that is good advice for me, especially this morning. So Jim, thank you so much. It is definitely I think we all as a country need more sleep. Right, Yeah, we'll work finally. Thank you, Jim. Have a wonderful rest of your day.
Speaker 9: By the way, I asked that researcher yesterday, do you ever hit the sleep this news alarm?
Speaker 1: She said?
Speaker 9: She pucially she said yes sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean everybody's done it. Everybody's done it. Well, hopefully we can all maybe squeeze in a nap at some point with me today too. I'm going to for sure good for you. All right, Thanks Jim, We'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: See ya.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Mayor of Saint Louis has signed in order to clarify the sounding of tornado sirens. It comes just days after the city was hit by a tornado, but the sirens didn't activate properly. Mayor Garas Spencer says the fire Department will now be the designated direct National Weather service Alert recipient. We are in the process of automating that system.
Speaker 4: Within a year, there will not be a need to have a human being press the button.
Speaker 2: She says. The old protocol was in place in twenty twenty one and it wasn't clear who was responsible for pushing the button to activate the sirens. A retired social worker is keeping an ear on his old gig.
Speaker 7: Paul Jenkinson retired in twenty seventeen, but he's still doing what he did when he worked, listening to people. The former therapist from Nova Scotia began his I will listen to her across Canada on May first, with a folding table in two chairs. He says, it's like a stranger on the plane that you're never going to see again. There's no timeline, no topics barred, no charge, no pressure, and he'll keep it confidential unless they talk about harming themselves or others.
Speaker 2: He says.
Speaker 7: He's homeless, but not destitute, more like a transient with money, and the people who sit across from him range from recovering addicts to people like him who help others just by listening. Michael Krozer, I News.
Speaker 2: All right, we are wrapping up Wake up Call. But before we go today, I want to say huge thank you to everybody in the wake up call crew for being so patient with me and helping me keep things rolling along this morning. Seriously, best team in the biz. Thank you guys so much. And now I want to hear your sleep in stories. Who wants to go first? Will tell me your sleep in stories. I've had too many to mention. Okay, I've even had one here. Yeah, it's like, you know, it happened, It happens. It's mortifying, but it happens. Okay, all right, and cono, have you had any sleep in stories or overslept stories.
Speaker 1: On the other day.
Speaker 2: I know I didn't want to call. I didn't want to mention it, but I was like, you did want to mention it? No, yeah, you don't want to be by yourself, that's right, Okay, I do want There is comfort in solidarity for sure. And Anne ran away maybe she doesn't want to admit that she had a sleep in a moment, but we have some talkbacks here. I want to share what people are saying about the times that they overslept. Here is what Here's what people are calling in and saying.
Speaker 8: It's truly the next from Brooklyn, and I fell football yard football. Okay, here we go. During nine to eleven, I overslept, I was late for work. I woke up, grabbed the phone and tune. I looked at the TV. I saw that the first tower went down. Obviously work was closed that day. But there you go.
Speaker 2: Wow, so too bad. Okay, Marvin, Wow, thank you so much for that story. That's now I don't feel so bad. Now, I'll never forget that day. Yeah, exactly, all right, here's not one.
Speaker 10: So I worked nightshift as a nurse in the er and one day I had taken my.
Speaker 3: Kids to Fool, came home, went to sleep.
Speaker 10: I had worked the night before, and then like at three o'clock pm, I woke up in a panic because I forgot that I needs to get up and pick my kids up from school.
Speaker 1: So I jump in the car in.
Speaker 10: My pajamas, and my kids are waiting on the curb, and they're.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my goodness, listen, moms get a pass because there is a lot that moms, we have a lot going on, especially when you're dealing with young kids. So that wow, Well, I'm glad. I hope everything worked out, and Okay, guys, I think that's going to do it. We made it. We made it to the end of wake Up Call. Thank you all so much for your patience, and again, thank you so much to the wake Up Call crew. And if you want to continue to share your overslept stories, I'd love to hear them.
Speaker 11: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.