Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Dad is off this Greek Gary tangway back in along with you here on WBZ Boston's news radio. We got a great ChIL lined up for you tonight here on night Side. We're gonna touch all the bases, touch all the basis, parenting, politics, comedy, television, attitudes, you name it, We've got you covered here on WBC. Coming up on the show tonight, and our first guest we're going to join momentarily over parenting. I'm really hot on this ship. I am really This is a thing near and dear to my heart, probably because I've been guilty of it from time to time, but I think it's really it is the problem for our young people. And also, you know, Kamala Harris is running for president. Everybody points out how bad she's been as a vice president, but somebody's been a bad vice president. No one knows, come on, they're a figurehead. We don't know. She made a poor campaign originally, but there are instances where we have had people become presidents who have surprised us. Harry Truman, for one, did anybody know Barack Obama would be as successful as he was Bill Clinton. My wife said, oh, I knew Bill Clinton was going to be a great president. I said, no, you did, not, nat She said, yes I did, And I said, yes, none. You're right. So we'll talk to Alan Lickman, who's been a guest on the show before, professor of history from American University, on that The Righteous gem Stones, one of the great comedies on television. We'll go into the writer's room coming up at nine o'clock on that. So that's all coming up here on WBC. But first up, since kids are going back to college, and if you were driving around Boston this weekend, the students were back. Yep, we saw it. Cars, trucks, U haul trucks, mattresses on top of the car. It doesn't change. It's the same old thing. Nervous parents dropping off freshman at BU or bcor U, Mass or Brandee or wherever. It's the same thing every year. Then you see the seniors they come waltzing in, they have their own cars, they drive in, they've got it all figured out. They're ready to go. And joining us right now is professional counselor Michelle Dean, and we are going to talk about overparenting, and you know, Michelle, I have real First of all, thank you for joining us here on the night side.
Speaker 3: Thanks Arry for telling me.
Speaker 2: Okay, I can tell you that when it comes to the college scene, that's where I see the overparenting really out of control, probably because that's what's been going on in my house lately, right I mean, I have a twenty two year old who just graduated from college, I have a nineteen year old who I just talked to on the phone who's at college, and I have a thirteen year old who's in eighth grade. So I've got a little bit of a break there. But do you feel that that's the case or is that just because that's the world I'm in right now?
Speaker 3: Could be just the world you're in right now, but also could also be the case. I've seen a lot with the kids that i've worked with college age, even like high school. It really depends on the parents sometimes that they are helping them a little bit more in times of transition. But then on the other side, you see parents who really haven't been there supporting their kids.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's economic, because when I see what I see is I see single income households where one partner does not have to work. And I'm not going to be sexist enough to say that it's always the mom, because I'm the stay at home dad that comes in and plays ready at night from time to time. Okay, So do you think it's parents who have too much time on their hands. They're economically fortunate, they were successful themselves, and they have the time to drive their kid crazy when it comes to getting into college.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that's a really good point that sometimes, yeah, this is the case. You're even seeing now where parents will hire a kind of like the coach, like a college coach that helps them.
Speaker 2: Director, Michelle, I got to stop you. It is it is assumed. It is assumed. I cannot tell you what we paid for it. And Michelle, Oh, oh my god. Yeah, listen, Michelle, can we talk? Can we talk here? Michelle?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 2: Now, I went to the University of Maine and I wanted and I come from a small town in Maine, and I wanted to go to Emerson. Interestingly enough, I've been teaching there lately, which is great. I wanted to go to Emerson. I want to go to bu It just wasn't gonna happen for a lot of reasons. So I went to the University of Maine and I had two colleges. I had the University of Southern Maine and University of me My daughter had like twelve. I mean, are are admission fees? Not even in mission fees, application fees. It was a mortgage payment, so freaking more, it was a freaking mortgage payment. And then and then I said, we have to hire a consultant. And here's the thing that scares me about the college system right now, and I'm gonna get off on it. You probably have experienced with this is it's all about playing games. We were at a Labor Day function today Labor Day, you know, barbecue type thing in a pool, and one of the parents said, well, uh, because in the town I live in in Massachusetts, there's a lot of kids that go to one particular school and that particular school is the University of South Carolina. And the discussion was, well, you know, he or she should not apply to the University of South Carolina because they already have too many kids from this town there. And that's that's how involved parents have become with these counselors, where I know we had a consultant for our daughter that and for our son that said, well, if you apply to this school, they like kids from the Northeast, or they like kids from the market backgrounds, or they like kids from certain ethnic backgrounds, or you have to check certain boxes. Like it's crazy, it's crazy, And then that drives the parents crazy.
Speaker 3: Well it starts even younger now too, with how much the schools are pushing the kids to the side, you know, even what track they want to do right and that depends, you know on then that's what track they go to high school and they're not equipped to know what they want to do right now.
Speaker 2: It drives me crazy.
Speaker 3: Almost yeah, I think schools would almost be would be a lot better off preparing them, to help them apply for schools and help them, you know, get jobs resumes. I wonder if some of that comes from the schools also pushing college and deciding what you're going to do so early on.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, look, like I said, I teach at Emerson. I think it's a great school. I think the kids that go to Emerson it's a very specialized school. They know what they want to do. But I will tell you that post secondary education is a huge business, and the prices have to come down. I mean, I mean that's another topic. I mean, you know what Syracuse is ninety grand. I mean, it's crazy. People can't afford it. I mean, it's just it's out of control. This is no way right. And then when you get out of school, if you have loans, if you're not fortunate enough to have your parents pay for them, then you've got to figure out how am I going to pay all this back? And that's another thing. Parents look at the investment and when they look at the situation for college. Excuse me, is that they go, look, I'm paying four hundred grand. I want to be involved. And when they're too involved, that just screws up the kid. Yeah, go ahead, I'm sorry, Oh, go go for it.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, I see a lot where there's a delay in the ability to want to take responsibility for making a decision, where kids like are coming in and saying, now, will my parents have helped me make a decision on what career, what path I should take? Now? I'm not happy. Now I don't know what to do three four years and I don't know who I am, which age appropriately, Yeah, that makes sense. Of them not really understanding who they are, what they value. But if their parents aren't helping them really figure out those things and saying asking them questions, helping them with credible thinking, what's the point in helping them with their resume or helping them get into college if they can't get them to think for themselves.
Speaker 2: Michelle, you and I are on the same page. And I'm going to tell you something else that really pisses me off, and that's coming up next. Michelle Dean joins us. We're talking about how we pairent our kids. We need to chill out more coming up on WBZ.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray Live from the Window World Night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Parents, How we screw up? That's the topic here. Gary Tangley a night side for thinking for Dan. Who's off this week so you get you know who for the next five days. Our friend Michelle Dean joins us, she's a professional counselor deals with this sort of thing. Sorry, had to clear the throat there, Okay, Michelle, what I was telling you before the break what really pisses me off? And I've seen parents do it, and I keep my mouth shut because it's none of my business and it's not my kid, but they'll go, you know, there's a real opportunity in this field, or there's a real opportunity doing that. For example, I had a conversation the other day with this gentleman who's in his seventies who's retired now made a ton of money, very Wealthy's fine, he was a dentist, worked all the time, and he did very well. But I remember, you know, I've had a number of people that are dentists and lawyers that have told me their parents directed them into that field. I know one lawyer who's happy to be a lawyer one and I know like thirty of them. And dental school. The same thing, like my father in law who said, yeah, you know, I was either going to go to law school to dentist school, you know, because my parents thought that was like the right thing to do. And does that And that still happens in my household. And I don't know. Maybe my kids will be broke, who knows, but they're going to be happy. I said, you got to follow your passion. My dad worked in a mill for thirty five years in Rumford, Maine. Those days are over, it's not happening. No one works for one company now for longer than five years. There's no more gold Watch. So like, telling a kid what they should do for a living, to me, is a license for disaster for the kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely agree with you there. If you're not letting your kid make their own decisions and giving them a safe place to fall when they do make their wrong decision and learn how to pick themselves back up, you're really that's going to be detrimental to the kid's success to be able to figure out things on their own.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, so, why is that? Why do you think a parent does.
Speaker 3: That anxiety fear that their kid isn't going to make the right decision. Maybe they don't trust their kids, maybe their kid has trouble making decisions. I think there could be so many circumstances where a parent makes a decision to push their kids a certain way. Maybe they didn't have someone like that, so then they're overcompensating the other way. And I think that it's it's really important for parents to be able to be aware that this is something that is happening and that's happened in the past. I'm not saying you know, my parents were perfect, but they sure wanted me to do what I wanted to do. Didn't talk to me about Okay, well, this career is got you know, you're gonna make this much, this much and this mchards. What are you interested in? And it's okay if it's not being a doctor. My dad comes from a uh the five siblings all doctors. It's a philosophy. The lawyer, and he his advice would have been to me, don't go to med school. But I think really honing in on well, what you want them to be able to make the mistakes while they're at home, but when they're off from college or where there's a lot harder place to fall, not home.
Speaker 2: I think people are so hung up on image in their own reputation amongst their friends or in their community, that what their child does, they feel reflects on them. That's what I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's another really good point. There's so many different ways that this could start happening within a family.
Speaker 2: So what is the what is the best way to handle supporting a kid? Because I know this is a big discussion, you know in our house. Now kids get out of college, they may have huge debt the parents have paid, so forth and so on. A lot of the tree level jobs when you get out of school do not pay great rents a high especially if you live in a place like Boston or if you live in New York. I don't know how they are down in your area. I believe I think you're in Texas, correct, that's correct? Yeah, you know, maybe Dallas and Houston probably expensive expensive, Yeah, yeah, So I was reading that the average parents spends fourteen hundred dollars a month supporting a kid that's over eighteen. When do you when do you cut off? When do you cut off the supply?
Speaker 3: I know I read the same thing so and I related a lot to this too, because I didn't know this going into graduate school, but become a counselor. Even after I was I had graduated from graduate school, I had to do three thousand hours worth of work in no less than eighteen months. So being paid the lowest as a they called a lot. Since professional counselor, it's an associate now, but you're not fully licensed, so you actually have to have a supervisor. That then mine was during this whole time, and you have to meet one hour per week and mine was one hundred dollars a week, so four hundred dollars a month. I mean, that's a lot of money. If my parents hadn't been able to help me out with that, Like I'm getting paid the lowest amount that I'm going to be paid, I had to pay for that plus living expenses. I really don't know how I would have done it. And I don't know a lot of people that have been even in my field, that didn't have somebody else that was supporting them, whether it was a spouse or that they took out more loans or that their parents helped them out. I really think it depends on the kid, because for me, I mean I went to my parents and said, this is kind of the situation. Are my options? And my parents said, okay, well we can help you out with X amounts per month, which was my fees for my supervisor. So I don't know how it is in every degree path that you choose, but I know that there's a lot of things that you're getting out. You're getting paid the lowest amount you're going to be paid, and the economy is not in a great position, So what does your kid need? I think that it really depends on the kid. It's a really fine line.
Speaker 2: Sy Yeah, and every every case is going to be different. But but I do think that for a kid to say, because let's face it, it's in some areas and maybe it's just of course my world. But my parents did not go to college, right, My parents did not. My mom was nurse, my dad worked in the mill. I went to college, My sister went to college. So we were the first ones to go to school. But in a lot of situations now it's just expected that you're going to go to college, where I go, Wait a minute, why Why If you take a look at the trade schools, if you take a look at various occupations, whether it be a one year program or a two year program, you don't have the educational cost, you don't have the debt. And I know that I can't screw in a light bulb, but I do know that I pay a lot of money to people that do. So what about this pressure that parenting that you have to go to college. Now, I'm not saying that you don't develop a skill or a trade, because I do think it's very difficult to make your way without some sort of skill or trade or degree. For advancement. But why when did that happen? You know when when it was? When was it a sin not to go to a four year program as opposed to taking a one year program in refrigeration?
Speaker 3: Right? I really don't know where when that started. I do know that even for me there was there wasn't a pressure like you had to go to school right then. I think to have a plan is a good idea to have. You know what you're going to look at, whether that's a trade school, whether that's working, whether that's going to college, whether that's going to a junior college. I really don't know why some of those things are ruled out because junior colleges are much less expensive too, or going to a trade school much less expensive to where you would be able to earn quite a good living and then be able to take on more of those extensives.
Speaker 2: Electricians and plumbers in my town are loaded. They're loaded, they're loaded. What about after college? Now, and this part, I couldn't believe you and I we were going over some of the same material, right, A parent joining a kid on a job interview? If first of all, first of all, it would never happen to me. I mean my parents wouldn't. I mean that wasn't My parents paid for half of my college and then you know, helped me with a car that cost six hundred bucks. It was a Chauvette, and then you know we were off and running. They did what they could. But I mean my dad like showing up at a job interview or my mom, you kid, if I showed up with my kid at a job interview, they would never speak to me again. What is it? People are crazy? Parents are out of their minds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that one is definitely acrossing the line. There's one thing, you know, a difference between looking over your kid's resume versus showing up to a job interview. Even when I was in high school, my parents would have never shown up to a job interview, nor when I have asked them to.
Speaker 2: It's crazy. I mean, I gave my this is my wife will kill me, but she doesn't listen to me so on the radio or at home. So it doesn't matter with my daughter. She she's my wife is an excellent writer. Excellent writer. And when my oldest was applying for colleges or she'd have to write something, my wife wouldn't help herself she would just jump in and fix it and correct it, and I'd be like, Okay, but I don't even know how important writing is anymore, which that in itself is a crime, but that might be a reality just the way technology is going, you know, That's just the way it is. Michelle. I want to keep you on if I could, If you could stand by from one more break, because we've we've focused on my life in the generation of my kids. I want to get to the younger kids, and I'd like to talk about that with you. Next right here on WBZ, Gary Tangling for Dan Ray. This is night Side over. Parenting as we go back to school is the topic. We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Night Side, was Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, solving all the parenthal problems out there. Gary Tangler hearing for Dan Ray on Nightside on WBZ News Radio. Coming up at nine o'clock, we'll be talking about presidential history. Of course, get into some Kamala Harris stuff with professor of history at American University Alan Lickman. Presidents who had thought were gonna be duds that turned out to be great. That will be the topic of our conversation right here on WBC. Now we're talking with Michelle Dean professional counselor, and overparenting and the kids are back in school. Man, we saw it. Everybody's back at BU and UMAs. And also finally, I know, as parents that have kids at home during the summer, the first day of school is like a holiday. So we talked about the college and the high school type of age. Michelle, Now let's get to the younger stage. First of all, I had a younger child that stayed home and was on Zoom during the pandemic. I mean, it's going to take twenty years, right, I mean for a generation not to be impacted by that, because there's no doubt they were. There's no way they couldn't have.
Speaker 1: Been, right.
Speaker 3: I think some of the scariest things I've seen is how much anxiety these kids have, whether it's over help, whether it's social, whether it's going back to school, or even some of it's manifested into like specific phobias. There's been a very big impact from even if they attended school online, if they were doing a hybrid course, whether they were just were in school yet. And we're younger seeing it all over the place and.
Speaker 2: That's simply a result that there was a virus that we thought was going to kill us all at the time. I mean, at the time, we didn't know what we're dealing with. Did I laugh at people who criticize how Fauci and everyone handled it. Nobody knew what they were doing. Nobody knew what was going on. I mean, come on, and I mean a hindesdby in twenty twenty. You know, I had friends of mine who their kids went to private school. They went back earlier, and they did better. I mean, they just did better because of the socialization. I mean, what we learned from that was how vital socialization is. So, if I'm hearing you right, because of the lack of socialization, these kids have a lot of problems with the anxiety because they don't go out, and they don't they haven't had a chance to experience fear and deal with fear or the unknown or making a friend and so forth, and that continues to impact them. That's what's causing the anxiety.
Speaker 3: Correct, That's correct. I mean a lot of it. Even it kind of manifested from what they heard from others, what they heard on the news. If they had somebody that was close to them, like a grandparent or even and uncle that died from it. Then there is this fear from their life. Somebody sneezes and they sneed or costs. They are going to worst case scenario.
Speaker 2: What is your advice? I should have even asked you. I don't even know. Are you a parent?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fine, No, whatever, it doesn't matter. I'm not one of those. I'm not one of those. Just you know, I'm not going to get into the politics of this. That was an attempted humor. But what do you think at what point for young people like I always look at you know, when you're five, six, seven years old, in those younger stages, what mistakes? And when I say mistakes, that's a little harsh. But what have we learned that parents can do better with kids at that age or maybe pre K years.
Speaker 3: It's I'm the kid. I think treating every kid as an individual and attending to those individual needs and doing the best you can. I think that they're with social media, with the Internet, it has created this you have to be this perfect parent and it looks like X y Z, but that's not true. They don't give you a handbook when you have a kid at the hospital and say this is exactly how your parent, this kid, and even two kids in a household were brought up in the same way, only you're apart. Both have different needs and being able to see that and recognize that you might have to parent one kid a little bit different than the other and that's okay.
Speaker 2: You know, I've had this discussion with friends of mine, nature versus nurture. I don't know if you have an opinion on this, but after having three kids, it's nature. And in my house growing up, we would always say, as I come from a small town in Maine, very provincial, would say, oh, and you know, she's just like Uncle Jack, or she's just like you know, Grandma or you know Aunt Kim. They're not like my three kids are all different. Just they're just all different. And I guess you could say each one has traits of my wife or me, but they're you know, they look like us kind of, you know, they are, we look like a family, but they're all different, you know, they just they just are And you're right, they're just they're just all different in that way. But you know, I I just remember as a kid where it was okay to get dirty and you know, you fell off your bike and you got back up, and you know if you got hurt. I mean, I'm not saying if you broke a limb, you don't go to the hospital, but you know, grub some dirt on it. As they say, that's another thing with parents now, parents aren't is and I get this honor relaxed when it comes to letting their kids play on supervise because of various threats.
Speaker 3: Were I think there's a very fine line between what we're calling right now over parenting versus active parenting, where there's we're not saying don't don't be there for your kids, right, just realize there's boundaries that your kid needs to learn, and that, especially when they're younger, if you don't set those boundaries for them, they don't learn how to set them for themselves. And so asking you to even come to an interview, uh or being okay with that is a reflection on maybe the boundaries lot set early on.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's no question, there's no there's no doubt about it. How do you feel because I've seen this a lot about parents blaming the school system as opposed to blames it tough for blaming the kid or have you know, holding the kid responsible.
Speaker 3: Oh, I could get our whole other subjects about this one, but I.
Speaker 2: Wish I had lead with that.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, schools also, there's been a lot of rules taken our schools, and then kids also taught that that they don't have to respect rules and that no matter what they do, there's going to be the same in results. Everyone wants boundaries and structure. You want them to at some point fight against some of that structure, but you want that to be in a healthy way. You want them, you know, to question things and understand how to deal with the consequences that their actions might have.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just think that parents, at times, myself included, are too concerned with being liked by their kid, so they said, with their kid instead of the teacher.
Speaker 3: Right, It's very hard to walk the line of being a costoup versus a friend, versus a parent versus a teacher and really staying in that specific role that you're kids need because.
Speaker 2: And again I'll go, oh, bastard. When I grew up, I mean, it was the teacher's rule. There was no I had. I did not have a case to make you know, but it was her fault. It was missus Canower's fault. My dad, No, it wasn't. I don't care. It was not bottom line, you know. Now it's like I'll go talk to the teacher and my kids misunderstood and blah blah blah blah blah. I mean it's very hard on teachers today. I think it's extremely difficult on teachers because I think they get it from both sides. And I think administrators are concerned too, because there's legal situations, you know, be people are worried about getting sued or getting in trouble with the school board or it's definitely the teachers and the staffs. I don't think it enough support. Everybody's trying to be pro kid too much. I don't know if you've run into that at all. So when in dealing with your situation, what would you say, is the number one and cause for depression? I'll start that first in our young people. Then the one cause for anxiety or is the cause one and the same?
Speaker 3: I think they can be one and the same, they can be different for different kids. Some of the depression I see is it really is just genetic? And then there's a lot of other things contributing to that. I would say one of the biggest things, and the things I continue to continue to be shocked about, is the amount of bullying that there is in school and the horrific things that kids say to each other. How much depression, anxiety, avoidance of wanting to go to school that that creates for younger kids, and it really has a big impact on their self esteem and how they view themselves.
Speaker 2: That's so disappointing to hear that there's still a lot of bullying. I mean, it's just it's such that's disappointing with my kids. I'm worried about the online bullying I'm early about. I'm worried about the Instagram where a young person looks at somebody else's Instagram post and thinks, I'm not as pretty as them, I'm not as athletic as them, I'm not as good as them. That's the type of bullying that I worry about. I thought that, and maybe I'm just out of touch. I thought we were beyond the actual bullying sort of thing. And sometimes I wonder if you know, I would not condone fighting in school, but sometimes you know, a kid needs to swing back or something.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I think of like two fights when I got in with guys. I know, one guy called my mom fat, you know, and I got a fight with him and then we got up, and you know, mister Wallace pulled us apart and said, you know, go sit in the corner for twenty minutes. And then it was fine. But you know, you can't do that anymore.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, as the online is a whole nother just monster in itself. The in person things they say, the things they say online they get nasterer and aft here. But even just the viewing of others and their highlight reel on social media does have a really big impact on kids. He is, they're comparing themselves, even if there's no bullying taking place, They're comparing themselves to someone else's highlights, not what the reality of their life is.
Speaker 2: So it's not so much physical bullying, it's it's the online thing.
Speaker 3: I think it's both. I think that it's so really present that we don't really realize how much. Because a lot of these kids are coming in and saying the kids said this to me, I'm like, wait, they said what? And I keep being more and more surprised by what's coming out some of the kids now, also what it's being said online. I still think that the in person is a really big problem.
Speaker 2: That is that. That's crushing to me. I thought I was hoping when we would beyond that. I really did. I mean, I I that's that's terrible. And thank you very well. I appreciate you coming on and thank you for addressing it. And the kids of fortunate to have somebody like you to help them through that, because bullies are just the worst. It's just it's just the worst. And we all know a bullying you know, they have anxiety too, and it's all their insecurity and so forth, and they're trying to make themselves feel better. But it's just it's hard when you have a kid that's on the other end of it. Michelle, thank you very much for joining us Likes Professional Counselor. We appreciate your time in discussing overparenting and we wish you luck and down the road, we'd love to have you on WBZ again.
Speaker 3: All Right, thank you so much. Gary, I appreciate you having me on the show tonight.
Speaker 2: Okay, Michelle, good talk overparenting. We need to chill out. Folks need to relax, especially when you get to the college age. The bullying thing buns me out. I mean, I was bullied, you know, I was. We all were. But I thought that I really thought that that was a thing of the past. The online stuff, I get. The online stuff's brutal, it's it's brutal, But the physical bullying in person, I think that was a thing anymore. But what did I know? And Michelle sent me straight and that's too bad. All right? Coming up at nine o'clock, Alan Lickman from American University, he's going to join us. And you've probably heard Alan before. He's had a lot of success in predicting the presidential elections. Nine of the last ten he has called. And the one that was a miss was the Gore Bush one, and that's debatable. We will talk to him about that, but I also want to talk to him about presidents that we didn't think. We're going to do a whole lot, like Kamala Harris. If she wins, she may she may surprise us in some ways. In some ways, Donald Trump surprised us good and bad. But there are those who support Trump that would say he was If you supported Donald Trump. I'm not getting into I'm not doing that. I'm not doing Trump bashing. I'm not doing harb doing that. I can't analize. You want to vote for who you vote for. That's fine. I'm not gonna swear you either way. But there was someone that would say Trump surprised some people possibly. I mean, the economy was good, right again, when it comes to the well he now, I'm going down a rabbit hole. The whole Corona thing, he said, some dumb things he did. He can't argue with that. But who knows how she's gonna be. She hasn't been if she wins. She doesn't have a great track record, But there are successful presidents who have been in the same situation. We're going to talk about that coming up at nine o'clock right here on WBZ. Coming up next, I went to the movies and it wasn't good. I'll tell you what happened. Next to wz's night.
Speaker 1: Said, Now back to Dan ray Mine from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News.
Speaker 2: Radio, Gary tag Way for Dan Raates and I thank you for jodingus. You're gonna do would be busies nightside on Labor Day again Michelle Dideen joining us. We'd like to thank her for her time talking about overparenting. And I just think we need to chill out as parents. You know, you need to let go a little bit. I've got three. It's hard to do. I will be honest with you. You know, I may you may or made. I know. I did television for years. I got laid off during the pandemic. I decided to become a stay at home dad. I was a little overbearing. I was a little neurotic, making sure the lunches were done, making sure everything got handed in, the physical forms had to be taken care of, the backpack had to be packed, the homework had to be done. And my kids and my wife said, you know, you gotta really relax. You got to kind of chill out. You had. The biggest problem that parents face, myself included, is allowing our kids to fail because we think it's a reflection on us. If my son or my daughter fails, it makes me look bad that I'm a bad parent. That I didn't teach him to be smart, I didn't teach him to be athletic, I didn't teach him to do this, to do that. It's a pout, and I have a cousin of amount. I've had this debate with my kids. Aren't me? Your kids aren't you? They're them, They're not they are not Your kids are not you. Your child is their own person period in the story. For some reason, when my kids turned eighteen they went to college. I was able to let go a little bit when my son. When my son went off after eighteen, I was kind of like, dude, there's nothing else I can do. I mean, you're on your own. If you screw up, you screw up. And he had his moments in high school believed me like we all did you know. Same thing with my daughter, I was like, it's kind of up to you, and I do believe you have to follow your passion. Now that made me. You're eating Ramen noodles for a while. But money doesn't make you happy. It just doesn't. It doesn't. It doesn't. It doesn't. It doesn't, it doesn't, it doesn't. You know then, I guess if you want to live a certain lifestyle, you have to live a certain lifestyle, and therefore you have to do something for a living that you don't really enjoy, but it ables you to enjoy your lifestyle. Then that's up to you. But I've told my kids there are no more thirty five year gold Watches, there are no more forty year four oh one k's that are going to get you a condo in Boca. So do it up, do what you want to do. Carpe DM I my poor wife. I love to go to the movies. I love movies, as you know. And we went and saw a Deadpool and Wolverine on Sunday. I love those actors. I love the franchise. I love the first Deadpool. I love it. It's so funny, it's so good. I think Ryan Reynolds is so talented. I got to see his wife's and movie Blake Lively. That's that's very controversial too, which I don't really want to get into because I'm not I'm not really an expert in that area, but it's it's it's that's controversial. But I love her as an actor, so i'd like I'd like to see that as well. But she says, all right, we'll go see you know, Wolverine and Deadpool. It was terrible. It was terrible. It was terrible. Love you Jackman, love them, love everybody in it, everybody in it was great love the actors, terrible story. Too much inside baseball, too many inside jokes, too many inside jokes, took you away from the script, took you out of the moment. It took you out of the moment when I'll never forget this. Robert de Niro, al Pacino, all those guys, they didn't want to do interviews, They did not want to be in because it made it more difficult for them to do their job and create the persona and make you believe that it's not Bob de Niro, or it's not Al Pacino. That well, it's the Godfather, you know, or the Bronx Tale. Or Jimmy and Goodfellas. That's not Bob de Niro, that's Jimmy and Goodfellas. Come on. But now with YouTube, it almost seems with movies it's like the behind the scenes, the bloopers, and the YouTube promos leading up to it are more important than the movie itself. That's what happened with Deadpool. At Deadpool and Wolverine, there was so much publicity about you Jackman and Ryan Reynolds and that their buddies and they love to give each other crap on Twitter and so forth. And Sean Levy, who was a great director, came on board. He was going to direct this. They forgot what it's about, and it's about creating a story. It's about creating a story in a world that we want to believe exists. For two hours and ten minutes, they kept taking us out of the moment with jokes mentioning the actor's real name. I mean, there's a there's a layer where the villain lives and it's Paul Rudd's helmet, you know, from ant Man, And even they didn't even have to say anything, just we know it's ant Man's helmet, and they didn't even have to mention Paul Rudd, but they did. I'm so bummed out, so bummed out. Remember it's all about the story. Folks coming up next, presidents who were great that we thought were going to suck on WBZ.