Speaker 1: Welcome to another deep dive. Today we'll be exploring the complete cybersecurity course, Volume one, Hackers Exposed by Nathan House.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This one's a really fantastic resource for anyone who wants to better understand well the nuts and bolts of protecting their digital lives.
Speaker 1: It's a very hands on guide and it covers just a ton of cybersecurity topics, from the basics all the way up to more advanced stuff.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: You know, one of the things that really struck me early on was how the author really emphasizes, you know, figuring out what's actually important to you before you even start thinking about firewalls and encryption and all of that.
Speaker 2: That's a really important point. You need to know what you're trying to protect before you can effectively protect it exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean, what can you absolutely not afford to lose, What data, what accounts, what information is is really really critical to you.
Speaker 2: I think that's one of the things that makes this book so valuable. It really personalizes the security journey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it helps you figure out what your priorities are and how to create a security plan that actually works for.
Speaker 2: You, right, because everyone's situation is different exactly.
Speaker 1: And It also helps to clear up a lot of confusion around around some key terms that I think get thrown around a lot. Privacy, anonymity, and pseudonymity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those terms are often used interchangeably, but they actually have very distinct meanings.
Speaker 1: The book does a really great job of breaking those down. It does so privacy, for example, you know, the book talks about that being about controlling access to your information, like making sure only the intended recipient can read your emails or you know, access your financial data.
Speaker 2: Right, It's about keeping your information confidential exactly.
Speaker 1: And then anonymity that's a whole other level.
Speaker 2: Anonymity is about making it impossible to link actions back to your identity. It's like leaving no fingerprints at a crime scene.
Speaker 1: So like that burner phone scenario we always see in the movies, exactly, the spies use a burner phone, yeah, and then they just you know, check it in the trash, no trace, no trace. And then you've got pseudonymity, which is somewhere in between.
Speaker 2: Right. Pseudonymity is about using a fake name or an alias to protect your real identity, but still maintaining a consistent persona.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're not completely anonymous, but you're not using your real name either, exactly. Okay, that makes sense. So we've talked about what we want to protect. Now let's talk about the.
Speaker 2: Threats, right, because the threat landscape is constantly evolving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the book really opened my eyes to how diverse the dangers out there are. Mean, it's not just about some you know, lone wolf hacker in a dark room, you know, trying to break into my computer.
Speaker 2: Right. A lot of the threats are automated these days. Hackers use programs to scan for vulnerabilities, and that means that anyone can be a target.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's not necessarily personal.
Speaker 2: Not always. And then they're also targeted attacks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so someone's specifically going after me, right.
Speaker 2: It could be based on your activities, your location, or the information that you share online.
Speaker 1: I actually had a question about that, you know, because I do a lot of online shopping and I always thought, well, if I see that little padlock icon in my browser window, that means I'm safe.
Speaker 2: That padlock means you're using HTTPS, right, which relies on ssltls to encrypt your connection. So it makes it much harder for someone to snoop on your data.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing you mentioned. You travel a lot for work, right I do. Yeah, imagine you're at a conference and you're using their WiFi. Someone could be using a tool like a Wi Fi Pineapple to perform what's called an SSL.
Speaker 1: Strip attack a Wi Fi Pineapple.
Speaker 2: It sounds kind of silly, but it's actually a pretty serious tool that hackers can use to basically trick your browser into thinking the connection isn't encrypted.
Speaker 1: Wait, so even though I see the padlock, my data could still be exposed.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It highlights the importance of being cautious even when you think you're on a secure connection.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's definitely something to think about. So even HTTPS isn't fool proof, No it's not. And then on top of all that, you know, the book mentions this whole marketplace of vulnerabilities, like hackers can actually buy ex wait kits and zero day vulnerabilities on the dark net.
Speaker 2: It's a chilling thought, right, there are literally marketplaces where cyber criminals can buy and sell tools to break into systems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty unsettling, and they're paying a lot of money for these things.
Speaker 2: They are some of these exploits can go for thousands of dollars.
Speaker 1: So that tells you how valuable this information is. It does, Okay, so even if I'm being super careful, so it could still you know, buy a digital skeleton key to my online life.
Speaker 2: It's a possibility, and it's something to be aware.
Speaker 1: Of, okay. And then you know, on top of all that, you have the whole issue of government surveillance. I mean sometimes it feels like something out of a spy thriller, right.
Speaker 2: It's definitely something to be aware of. The book talks about programs like the Five Eyes Alliance, where intelligence agencies from multiple countries share information Five Eyes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds like something out of a James Bond movie.
Speaker 2: It does, doesn't it. And then there are tools like Carnivore that can intercept Internet traffic.
Speaker 1: So even our governments are watching us.
Speaker 2: It's a possibility, and it raises some serious questions about privacy and how much of it we actually have online.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like we're walking a tightrope between staying safe and maintaining our privacy.
Speaker 2: It's a delicate balance, it is.
Speaker 1: What about these back doors that I've heard about? Are those real?
Speaker 2: Unfortunately? Yes, A back door is basically a hidden vulnerability that's intentionally built into software.
Speaker 1: Intentionally, Why would anyone do that?
Speaker 2: Often it's done by governments to gain access to encrypted data.
Speaker 1: So even our own governments could be putting back doors in our software.
Speaker 2: It's happened before. The book uses the example of Juniper routers. A backdoor was discovered in their software that allowed someone to eavesdrop on connections.
Speaker 1: So even the hardware can be compromised.
Speaker 2: It's a possibility, and it's why understanding these vulnerabilities is so important.
Speaker 1: It's a lot to take in. It makes you want to, you know, just run and hide, disconnect from the internet completely. But the book does talk about encryption as being a powerful tool it is. Can you explain how encryption works? I always get a bit lost with the technical stuff.
Speaker 2: Basically, encryption is the process of scrambling data to make it unreadable without the correct key. It's like putting a message in a locked box that only the intended recipient has the key to open.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. Sounds like a secret code.
Speaker 2: You could think of it that way. And there are different types of encryption. Symmetric encryption uses the same key to encrypt and decrypt the data, while asymmetric encryption uses different keys for each.
Speaker 1: Okay, so symmetric is like having one key that fits both locks, and asymmetric is like having two separate keys, exactly. And I always hear about AES encryption being the gold standard. Is that, right?
Speaker 2: AES is a type of symmetric encryption, and it's considered.
Speaker 1: Very strong, so it's pretty much unbreakable.
Speaker 2: With current technology. Yes, it's even used by governments to protect classified information.
Speaker 1: So encryption sounds like a powerful way to protect our data.
Speaker 2: It definitely is, but it's not the only strategy. The book also talks about the concept of isolation, which is all about dividing your digital life into different security zones.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's like having different bank accounts for different purposes exactly.
Speaker 2: If one account is compromised, the others are safe. And the book talks about some interesting ways to achieve this, like using separate devices for different activities, so.
Speaker 1: Like having a dedicated computer just for online banking.
Speaker 2: Right, But that's not always practical for everyone. So the book also gets into virtual machines.
Speaker 1: Virtual machines, I've heard the term, but I'm not really sure what that means.
Speaker 2: A virtual machine is basically a computer within your computer. You can create isolated environments where you can run potentially risky applications without affecting your main operating system.
Speaker 1: So if something goes wrong in the virtual machine, it doesn't affect my actual computer exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like having a sandbox where you can play without worrying about making a mess.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a pretty clever idea. Are there other isolation techniques that the book mentions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it talks about hiding encrypted volumes, which makes your data much harder to find, and even changing your MEE.
Speaker 1: Address, changing my MA address. What's that?
Speaker 2: Your MS address is a unique identifier for your device's network card. Okay, by changing it, you can make it more difficult to track your device on a network.
Speaker 1: So it's like changing your car's license plate exactly.
Speaker 2: And the book even walks you through how to do this using tools like TMA for Windows and mechy changer for Linux.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's not as complicated as it sounds.
Speaker 2: No, it's actually pretty straightforward.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is all starting to make sense. Yeah, but it sounds like the operating consume you use plays a big role in security too, it does.
Speaker 2: All operating systems have their strengths and weaknesses. The book compares Windows, mac OSX, and Linux in terms of security and privacy.
Speaker 1: I've always heard that MAX are more secure than Windows PCs.
Speaker 2: That's a common myth. While MAX have historically had fewer viruses targeting them, they're not immune to attacks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so no operating system is perfect.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and the book goes into detail tail about some privacy concerns with Windows ten.
Speaker 1: Windows ten. What's wrong with it?
Speaker 2: It collects a lot of data about your browsing history, app usage, location.
Speaker 1: It does I had no idea, It's all in.
Speaker 2: The privacy policy. And while some of this data collection can be useful, it also raises privacy concerns.
Speaker 1: Is there any way to stop it?
Speaker 2: The book suggests some tools to help you customize your privacy settings in Windows ten, or you could look into more privacy focused operating systems like Linux.
Speaker 1: Linux. That sounds pretty technical, it can be.
Speaker 2: But there are distributions like Debian that are known for their strong security and privacy features.
Speaker 1: So even though it might be a little more challenging to use, Linux could be a good option for someone who's really serious about.
Speaker 2: Privacy, absolutely, and the book provides some basic guidance on using Linux, so it's not as daunting as it might seem.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's not just about choosing the right operating system, it's also about knowing how to use.
Speaker 2: It securely exactly. And the book goes beyond the technical solutions, highlighting the the human factor in cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: The human factor.
Speaker 2: What do you mean, well, that brings us to social engineering.
Speaker 1: Ah? Yes, those pesky phishing emails.
Speaker 2: That's one example, but social engineering is a much broader concept. It's about manipulating people into giving up sensitive information.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about hacking into computers. It's about hacking into.
Speaker 2: People exactly, and it can be very effective.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what can we do to protect ourselves from social engineering attacks?
Speaker 2: The book offers some strategies for managing your online identity and minimizing how much personal information you reveal, Like what Well, it starts by questioning whether you even need to be on social media? Could you avoid it altogether or at least minimize your usage.
Speaker 1: For some people, maybe, but social media is a big part of a lot of people's lives these days.
Speaker 2: I agree. So the next level is compartmentalization. Can you use different online identities for different purposes.
Speaker 1: So like having a separate persona for work and for personal stuff exactly.
Speaker 2: You can also keep your personal and professional networks completely separate, or be really mindful about what information you're sharing online. It's all about creating a strategy that works for you and your needs.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. What about when you have to register on websites it feels like you're always giving up some personal information.
Speaker 2: The book suggests some clever workarounds for that. First, try to find services that don't even require you to create an account.
Speaker 1: I never thought of that.
Speaker 2: But when you do need to register, the book suggest creating a separate email address specifically for online registrations.
Speaker 1: So like a throwaway email address that I just use for signing.
Speaker 2: Up for things exactly. And for those websites that require you to verify your phone number with an SMS code, the book even mentions sites that offer temporary phone numbers so I don't have to.
Speaker 1: Give up my real number. That's brilliant, it is.
Speaker 2: And it can really help to protect your privacy.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about those social engineering tactics we talked about earlier, Like phishing emails. How can I avoid falling for those?
Speaker 2: Well, one of the biggest those things is to never click on links and emails, especially if they're asking for personal information.
Speaker 1: Right because that link could lead to a fake website designed to steal my passwords exactly.
Speaker 2: Instead, always type the website addressed directly into your browser.
Speaker 1: Good advice. And if I do need to click a link, what should I look for?
Speaker 2: Pay close attention to the URL, look for misspellings, unusual domain names, or anything that seems off. Be a digital detective.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like that, Be a digital detective.
Speaker 2: Another good tip is to be suspicious of any unsolicited contact, whether it's an email, phone call, or text message. Don't give out personal information unless you've independently verified the identity of the person or organization contacting you.
Speaker 1: So no trusting those emails from Nigerian princes exactly.
Speaker 2: Remember, social engineering is all about exploiting our trust and our emotions. Staying calm and thinking critically is your best defense.
Speaker 1: Okay. So it's not just about technology, it's about changing the way we think about security exactly.
Speaker 2: It's about being vigilant, cautious, and skeptical.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: Not taking anything at face value and being aware of potential dangers both online and offline.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's about taking ownership of.
Speaker 2: Our security exactly, and that's what this book is all about. It's about empowering us to protect ourselves in the digital world.
Speaker 1: This has been really helpful. I'm feeling a lot more informed and maybe a little more paranoid, but in a good way.
Speaker 2: That's the point. Awareness is the first step to protecting yourself.
Speaker 1: Okay. So now that we've got a basic understanding of the threats and the tools, where do we go from here?
Speaker 2: Well, the book goes into a lot more detail about the different types of attacks, the motivations behind them, and the strategies you can use to defend yourself.
Speaker 1: Okay, So there's a lot more to learn.
Speaker 2: There is, but don't worry, we'll cover it all in our next deep dive.
Speaker 1: Great, I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 2: It me too. We've talked a lot about, you know, the technical side of cybersecurity, firewalls, encryption.
Speaker 1: All that good stuff, right, the tools and the tactics.
Speaker 2: But this book that come complete cybersecurity course, it really it really hits home the point about well, the human element, the.
Speaker 1: Human element, right, right, because, like we said, social engineering that praise on our emotions, exact our trust.
Speaker 2: It's not just about you know, having the strongest firewall or the most complex encryption algorithm. It's about recognizing that people, well people are often the weakest link.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. So let's talk about these attackers. Who are they, what makes them tick?
Speaker 2: Well, the book goes into like a pretty good amount of detail about the different types of attackers. You've got you know what they call script kitties, scrypt kitties. Yeah, basically, they're amateurs. They're using pre made tools causing mischief.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Then you've got your cyber criminals motivated by well profit, they're trying to steal data, financial information, intellectual property.
Speaker 1: Steal money basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you've got well, well, the state sponsored hackers.
Speaker 1: State sponsored hackers. That sounds like something out of you know, a spy movie.
Speaker 2: It does sound like a Hollywood plot, but it's very real.
Speaker 1: So governments are actually hiring hackers.
Speaker 2: Well, they're investing in you know, cyber capabilities, Okay, for both defensive and offensive purposes.
Speaker 1: Right, So they're trying to protect themselves, but they're also using these capabilities to attack other countries.
Speaker 2: It's a digital arms race, countries fighting for control in cyberspace.
Speaker 1: It's like a whole new battlefield. So what kind of tactics are they using?
Speaker 2: Oh, all sorts of things, spear phishing, malware, and you know those social engineering techniques we talked about spearfishing. What's that, Well, spear phishing, it's it's a targeted attack where the attacker, you know, researches their victim, they craft a very specific email.
Speaker 1: Oh so it's not just some random spam email.
Speaker 2: No, this is very personalized.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: They might use information they've gathered from like social media or company websites to make it look like it's coming from well, a trusted source.
Speaker 1: So it's like a con artist gaining your trust before taking advantage of you.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to put it. And then there's malware, which is any software designed to harm or exploit a system.
Speaker 1: Okay, malware, that's a pretty broad term, right, I mean, what are some examples of that.
Speaker 2: You've got viruses, worms, trojans, ransomware. There's all kinds.
Speaker 1: Really, so many different ways to cause havoc.
Speaker 2: They have different ways of infiltrating systems and causing damage yeah, I mean ransomware.
Speaker 1: That one's been in the news a lot lately. It has encrypting people's files and holding them hostage.
Speaker 2: It's become a big business for cyber criminals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not just targeting individuals anymore. It's hitting businesses, even government agencies.
Speaker 2: It can cripple entire organizations.
Speaker 1: Right, and I've heard they often demand payment, and bitcoin or some other cryptocurrency.
Speaker 2: Cryptocurrencies offer a level of anonymity that's well, it's attractive to.
Speaker 1: Criminals, right, makes it harder to trace exactly. So it's like a perfect crime digital it can feel that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a serious threat.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got phishing, we've got social engineering malware. What about those exploit kits we talked about earlier, those pre made hacking tools, Right.
Speaker 2: Those are packages of software tools that automate the process of exploiting vulnerabilities. They're like hacking for dummies, So.
Speaker 1: Even if you don't know how to code, you can still use these to launch an attack.
Speaker 2: That's the scary part. And they're readily available on the dirknet.
Speaker 1: Right, those underground marketplaces, making.
Speaker 2: It easier than ever for attackers to get their hands on sophisticated tools.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is all starting to sound well, kind of overwhelming.
Speaker 2: It's a lot to take in.
Speaker 1: It feels like we're constantly under attack from all sides.
Speaker 2: It can feel that way, but remember, there are things we can do to defend ourselves, right.
Speaker 1: Right, we talked about strong passwords, secure Wi Fi.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, those are the basics, the foundation.
Speaker 1: Okay, the foundation, Yeah, but what about going beyond the basics, what about more advanced strategies.
Speaker 2: Well, the book talks a lot about security through isolation.
Speaker 1: Okay, isolation, what's that.
Speaker 2: It's about compartmentalizing your digital life so that if one area gets compromised, well, the damage is contained.
Speaker 1: Okay. So it's like if one part of your house catches fire, you want to make sure the fire doesn't spread to.
Speaker 2: The rest of the house exactly. The book talks about physical isolation, which is using completely separate devices for different activities.
Speaker 1: Right, like having a dedicated computer just for online banking.
Speaker 2: Right, But like we said, that's not always practical. So the book also gets into virtual isolation, which is using virtual machines or vms.
Speaker 1: Vms. I think we touched on that earlier. Can you remind me how those work.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So a VM is basically a computer within your computer.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It creates an isolated environment, so you can.
Speaker 1: Run risky programs in the VM without affecting your main computer exactly.
Speaker 2: If the VM gets compromised, your main operating system and your personal files are still protected.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. It's like having a separate, disposable workspace for risky activities.
Speaker 2: That's a good analogy. And the book even talks about application isolation, isolating specific applications within your operating system.
Speaker 1: Oh. Interesting, So like isolating your web browser exactly. They call it sandboxing sandboxing. I'm picturing kids playing in a sandbox at the park.
Speaker 2: Think of it like that. You're containing the potential mess.
Speaker 1: Okay, I get it. So if my browser gets infected, the malware is contained within that sandbox. It can't spread to the rest of my computer.
Speaker 2: That's the idea.
Speaker 1: Okay, so sandboxing adds another layer of protection. And you said some operating systems have built in sandboxing features.
Speaker 2: They do, and there are also third party applications you can use. The book has some recommendations.
Speaker 1: Okay. So we've got physical isolation, virtual machines, sandboxing, what other isolation techniques.
Speaker 2: Does the book mention, Oh, it goes into changing your ma seed RUSS, which we talked about earlier.
Speaker 1: Right, that's like changing your car's license plate to make it harder to track.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and the book gives instructions on how to do it on different operating systems.
Speaker 1: Okay, changing your MAAC address, got it. What about VPNs? Those seem to be all the rage these days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, VPNs, or virtual private networks, are a great tool for enhancing your security and privacy.
Speaker 1: How do it work?
Speaker 2: Well, they create an encrypted tunnel between your device and a VPN server, so it masks your IP address and encrypts all of your Internet traffic.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's like you're driving through a secure tunnel. Nobody can see what's inside your car or where you're going.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy. And VPNs are especially useful when you're using public Wi Fi, oh right.
Speaker 1: Because public Wi Fi is often unsecured exactly.
Speaker 2: Anyone on that network could potentially see what you're doing. But if you're using a VPN, your traffic is encrypted, so it's much harder for anyone to snoop.
Speaker 1: So it's like putting a shield around your data.
Speaker 2: You could think of it that way. The book recommends using a reputable VPN service and explains the different types of VPN protocols available.
Speaker 1: Okay, so VPNs or a must have for anyone who uses public Wi Fi regularly. What else does the book cover?
Speaker 2: Well, it spends a good chump of time on operating systems, security and privacy. It compares the strength and weaknesses of different operating systems, right.
Speaker 1: Like Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and it goes deeper into their specific features and vulnerabilities how to configure them for maximum security.
Speaker 1: Okay, because it's not enough to just choose the right operating system, you have to know how to use it securely.
Speaker 2: Right. It provides guidance on customizing privacy settings, finding the right balance between security, privacy and usability.
Speaker 1: Right because you don't want to lock things down so tight that you can't actually use.
Speaker 2: Your computer exactly. It's about finding that sweet spot.
Speaker 1: Okay. What about social media? We've talked about that earlier, but it feels like social media is a cybersecurity minefield in itself.
Speaker 2: It can be. Social media companies collect a lot of data about us, and we often share things without thinking about the potential consequences.
Speaker 1: Right, like our name, our location, our interests.
Speaker 2: All that stuff exactly, and all of that data can be used to build a profile of you.
Speaker 1: And that profile can be used by advertisers, marketers, even criminals.
Speaker 2: It's a valuable commodity. So the book offers strategies for managing your online identity, minimizing your digital footprint, like what well, first of all, being mindful of what you share, do you really need to post that photo of your vacation? Oh? And more, share your political views, right.
Speaker 1: Because once something is online, it's out there forever.
Speaker 2: It's hard to erase your digital pass, Okay, so think before you post.
Speaker 1: What else?
Speaker 2: It also discusses the use of pseudonyms or aliases.
Speaker 1: So like using a fake name online.
Speaker 2: Right, it can help protect your real identity. If you're concerned about privacy, it's like having a separate online persona.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting. What about those privacy enhancing tools you mentioned like VPNs?
Speaker 2: VPNs are great, but the book also talks about browser extensions that can block trackers and cookies.
Speaker 1: Trackers and cookies, what are those?
Speaker 2: Basically, there are little bits of code that websites used to collect data about you and your browsing habits.
Speaker 1: So they are like little spies following me around.
Speaker 2: The internet kind of. They're not always malicious, but they do allow companies to build a detailed profile of your online activity.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a little creepy. So how do I protect myself from these trackers and cookies?
Speaker 2: You can use browser extensions to block them. You can also adjust your browser's privacy settings, so.
Speaker 1: It's like putting up a do not track sign on my browser exactly.
Speaker 2: The book gives instructions on how to do that on different browsers.
Speaker 1: Okay, managing our online identity, got it? What about social engineering on social media? It's not just limited to email, right, No.
Speaker 2: Social engineering can be even more effective on social media because people tend to be less guarded.
Speaker 1: Right. It's easier to let your guard down when you're interacting with friends.
Speaker 2: And family exactly. So the book offers tips on how to spot fake accounts and avoid falling for social engineering traps, like.
Speaker 1: Being careful about who you connect.
Speaker 2: With, right, and being wary of messages that seem too good to be true.
Speaker 1: Okay, so don't accept friend requests from strangers. Yeah, and don't believe everything you see on social.
Speaker 2: Media exactly, think critically about the information you're consuming and the people you're interacting with.
Speaker 1: Okay, good advice. What about location tracking? I know a lot of apps want to know my location all the time.
Speaker 2: It's a valid concern. Location tracking can be convenient, but it also raises privacy issues, right, It's like, do.
Speaker 1: I really want everyone to know where I am all the time?
Speaker 2: The book encourages you to think about those trade offs, and it offers advice on how to manage location tracking settings on your phone and within apps.
Speaker 1: Okay, So be aware of the risks and make informed choices exactly.
Speaker 2: And the book reminds us about the risks of public Wi Fi, which we've talked about before.
Speaker 1: Right. Public Wi Fi can be a life saver, but it's also a security risk if you're not careful.
Speaker 2: Always use a VPN when connecting to public Wi Fi.
Speaker 1: Okay, So no online banking at the coffee shop without a VPN exactly.
Speaker 2: And the book also discusses Mobile Device Management or MDM.
Speaker 1: MDM with that.
Speaker 2: Basically, it's a set of tools that organizations use to secure and manage employee devices.
Speaker 1: So it's like a security guard for your phone.
Speaker 2: You could think of it. That way, it helps to enforce security policies like requiring strong passwords and encrypting data.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense, But I thought MDM was just for companies.
Speaker 2: It is often used in corporate environments, but there are also MDM solutions available for individuals.
Speaker 1: Well. Interesting. So if I'm really concerned about mobile security, I could use an MDM solution on my personal phone.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. The book talks about some different options.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool. So the book really covers all the key aspects of mobile security it.
Speaker 2: Does, from using strong passwords to being cautious about app downloads, keeping your operating system and apps updated.
Speaker 1: Okay, patching, patging, patging, it's a recurring theme, it is.
Speaker 2: And it also talks about enabling remote wipe, which allows you to erase your device's data remotely if it's lost or stolen. Oh wow, So it's like having a self destruct button for your phone exactly.
Speaker 1: It can be a lifesaver if your phone falls into the wrong hands.
Speaker 2: Okay, So mobile security is just as important as computer security.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Our phones are basically mini computers these days. We use them for everything.
Speaker 2: That's true. I do pretty much everything on my phone.
Speaker 1: So it's important to treat them with the same level of security awareness.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll try to be more mindful of that. What about data security in general, that's a pretty broad topic.
Speaker 1: It is. Data security is about protecting sensitive information both in transit and at rest.
Speaker 2: Okay, data in transit that's when it's being sent over the Internet, right.
Speaker 1: Right, And data at rest is when it's stored on our devices or in the cloud exactly.
Speaker 2: And the book covers all the different ways data can be compromised, from hacking to data breaches to physical theft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those data breaches seem to be happening all the time these days. Hackers stealing millions of records from companies.
Speaker 2: It's a huge problem, and it often happens because companies haven't implemented proper security measures.
Speaker 1: So what can we do to protect ourselves? It feels like these data breaches are inevitable.
Speaker 2: Well, the book starts with the basics strong passwords and two factor authentication.
Speaker 1: Two factor authentication. Remind me how that works?
Speaker 2: Again, it's basically adding an extra layer of security. So instead of just your password, you also need a second form of identification to log.
Speaker 1: In, like a code send to your phone or email.
Speaker 2: Exactly. So even if a hacker gets your password, they still can't access your account without that second factor.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. So it's like having two locks on your door.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy. And the book also talks about encryption.
Speaker 1: Encryption. Again, it seems like that's a key theme throughout this book.
Speaker 2: It is encryption is crucial for protecting data, both in transit and at rest.
Speaker 1: Okay, so use encryption whenever possible. What else does the book recommend?
Speaker 2: It talks a lot about data backups backups.
Speaker 1: We talked about those in the context of ransomware, but they're also important for other reasons. Right.
Speaker 2: Backups are essential for recovering from hardware failures, accidental deletions, or any other situation where you might lose access to your data.
Speaker 1: Right because you never know when disaster might strike.
Speaker 2: It's like having a spare tire in your car.
Speaker 1: Okay, so have a good backup strategy.
Speaker 2: The book goes into detail about different backup strategies, using external hard drives, cloud storage services, and even off site backups.
Speaker 1: Off site backups what are those?
Speaker 2: Basically, there are backups that are stored in a physically separate location from your primary data.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a safe deposit box for.
Speaker 2: Your data exactly. It protects you in case of a disaster like a fire or a flood.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. So data security is about being proactive.
Speaker 2: Exactly, think about the risks, take precautions, and use strong security practices.
Speaker 1: Okay, So encryption, backups, strong passwords, all that good.
Speaker 2: Stuff, right, And the book encourages us to think about data security as an ongoing process.
Speaker 1: An ongoing process.
Speaker 2: Cybersecurity is a journey, not a destination.
Speaker 1: Okay, what do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: The threat landscape is constantly changing. New threats emerge every day, so we can't just set things up once and forget about it. We have to keep learning, adapting, and improving our security practices.
Speaker 1: So it's like a marathon, not a sprint exactly.
Speaker 2: And this book gives you the training you need to run that marathon.
Speaker 1: I like that analogy. So how do we stay ahead of the curve? How do we make sure we're always learning and adapting? Well?
Speaker 2: The book stresses the importance of continuous learning, reading books, following security blogs, attending conferences.
Speaker 1: Okay, so stay informed? What else?
Speaker 2: The book also emphasizes the importance of community and collaboration. We're all in this together. We can learn a lot from each other.
Speaker 1: This is like a neighborhood watch for the digital world exactly.
Speaker 2: Sharing information about threats and best practices can help us all stay safer.
Speaker 1: Right because knowledge is power.
Speaker 2: And finally, the book encourages us to advocate for stronger security and privacy protections, contacting our elected offici, supporting organizations that are fighting for digital rights.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about protecting ourselves, it's about creating a safer digital world for everyone.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and this book empowers us to do just that.
Speaker 1: That's a great message. So we've talked about the threats, the tools, the strategies, the mindset. What's the big takeaway from all of this? What should our listeners be thinking about as they go about their digital lives.
Speaker 2: I think the biggest takeaway is that cybersecurity is everyone's responsibility.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's not just up to the experts, it's up to all.
Speaker 2: Of us exactly. We all have a role to play in protecting ourselves and each other, and.
Speaker 1: That means being aware of the risks, taking precautions, and staying.
Speaker 2: Informed exactly and never stop learning.
Speaker 1: Well said, Yeah, so where we go from here, what's next in our cybersecurity journey.
Speaker 2: Well, there's still a lot more to explore. The book goes into much more detail about specific types of attacks, advanced defense strategies, and even the ethical implications of cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a whole other layer to this, the ethical side of things.
Speaker 2: It's an important part of the conversation and we'll dive into that in our next deep dive.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to it. Until then, stay safe out there in the digital world.
Speaker 2: It really struck me as we've been talking about all of this stuff, you know, going through the book. I mean, this book, the complete cybersecurity course, doesn't shy away from the ethical considerations.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's a that's a really good point, the ethical side of cybersecurity. I mean it's something that often gets overlooked. Yeah, but as technology, you know, becomes more and more a part of our lives, these questions are only becoming more and more important, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not just about you know, protecting data, it's about privacy, freedom of speech. I mean, even you know, the potential for AI to be used in harmful ways.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I mean the book brings up some really interesting questions about the balance, you know, between security and freedom. Yeah, how much how much surveillance is acceptable? Right, you know, in the name of safety, Right, where do you draw the line exactly? And then what are the ethical implications of using AI for things like, you know, facial recognition, right, predictive policing. It's a brave new world out there, it is.
Speaker 2: It's uncharted territory, and I think the book does a good job of really encouraging us to have these conversations, Yeah, to think critically about how technology impacts society.
Speaker 1: It's not just a technical issue, right, It's a human issue.
Speaker 2: It's a societal issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's something we need to be thinking about now before it's too late.
Speaker 2: I agree. I think we have a responsibility to shape the future of technology and you know, ensure that it benefits humanity, not the other way around.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we need to be mindful of the ethical implications. What else does the book kind of leave us with.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, one of the things that emphasizes over and over again is the importance of taking ownership of our security, right. You know, we can't just rely on companies or governments to protect us.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's about empowering ourselves exactly.
Speaker 2: The book gives us the knowledge and the tools we need to protect ourselves. It's really it's like a call to I like that, a.
Speaker 1: Call to action. Yeah, so what are some specific actions that we can take, you know, starting today.
Speaker 2: Well, a lot of the things we've already talked about, you know, strong passwords, two factor authentication, right, being aware of phishing scams, keeping our software updated, you know, all the basics, the basics.
Speaker 1: But it goes beyond that, right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the book really encourages us to develop good security.
Speaker 1: Habits, Okay, habits so like thinking before we click on links exactly, being careful about what we share, right.
Speaker 2: Being skeptical, being vigilant, you know, thinking critically about our online behavior.
Speaker 1: So it's about making security a part of our everyday lives exactly. Okay, So awareness, vigilance.
Speaker 2: Education, and you know, don't be afraid to ask for help. I mean there are a lot of great resources out there, organizations, websites right right that offer information and support on you know, all things cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the Sans Institute. I mean, even the National Institute of Standards and Technology missed. They all have, you know, really great resources available.
Speaker 2: They do, and I think this book can serve, as you know, a really great starting point. It gives you that foundation, you know, to kind of go out and explore and.
Speaker 1: Keep learning, a jumping off point for our cybersecurity journey. Absolutely, this has been really eye opening. I mean, going through this book with you, I feel like I've learned a ton me too, and I definitely feel more empowered, more informed, more well maybe a little more paranoid, but I think that's good in a good way.
Speaker 2: A healthy dose of paranoia is good in cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've talked about the threats, the tools, the strategies that we've talked about, you know, the mindset, the ethics. What would you say is is the big takeaway, you know from all of this, What should our listeners be thinking about as they go about their digital lives.
Speaker 2: I think if there's one thing to remember, it's that cybersecurity is everyone's responsibility, right right.
Speaker 1: It's not just up to the experts, the IT guys, the government, It's.
Speaker 2: Up to all of us. We all have a role to play in protecting ourselves and each other.
Speaker 1: We're all in this together we are, so be aware, take precautions, and stay informed.
Speaker 2: Couldn't have said it better myself.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I think that's a perfect place to wrap things up. Big thanks to the Complete Cybersecurity course Volume one hackers exposed for opening our eyes to the world of cybersecurity, and to you for helping us make sense of it all.
Speaker 2: It's been my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Until next time, Stay safe out there in the digital world.