Speaker 1: Hell, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the first episode of the Evil Dead Retrospective. I am the tree Hugger Tress Now and I'm joined by.
Speaker 2: I'm the Necromancer at Kirkland Patzer.
Speaker 3: I am the Possessed Dylomas.
Speaker 4: I'm Book of the Dead Taylor Field.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and we are doing this retrospective not just because of s Bubbs He'd asked a few times, but we were doing this because in April, Evil Dead Rise is coming out. It is the fifth entry into the Evil Dead saga franchise, whatever it may be. You know, there's a video game out there as well, which I'm excited to play because at this time it's free in PlayStation Plus, so I'm excited to get in there and try it out for the first time at some point. But yes, this is gonna be looking back at the majority of Sam Raimi doing Evil Den. Then there's one other one as well, but yeah, there's four films. We'll be doing all four. We'll watch Rise. Of course, we'll do a rankings episode of rankings cut on news stuff like that. But yeah, too, work can they find all the good jazz that we do?
Speaker 5: Everything you can find us with your connection in the search bark geek covers not says our home base, geek ers Cast is our Twitter and geek Versus is our Facebook.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything we do stand below Evil Dead retro. We're starting now, Patrons, you'd be gett John Wick already. You could get an X Men one. We're doing Indiana Jones coming up soon. We're doing to Faux one later on the year with you. The patrons are gonna get to vote and decide what we do. We're gonna do like a one off. We're gonna do Mario, We're gonna do an Oscar movie. Want so. We got some fun Patreon retros coming up there. That's why we want to join the Patreon producer tier because you get to vote on the content and choose and a big thing to everyone on that tier on Patreon, and that listens because of you, guys. That's why these shows happened is because of your support. So Evil Dead, So you know I'm gonna take the baton. I want to.
Speaker 6: I want to.
Speaker 1: I never get to start. I want to starry about this, so I can't tell you about the first time I saw us because I gotta wait till Evil that too. And there's like a better story there, but I had seen too before I saw one. But anyway, so we'll get to that when we get to two. But I think with this movie there's two minds of it as of just watching as a film.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, there's there's some cheesy and low budgetess too it, but like it's scary. It has a great pace to it. It just goes up and up. It just I just feel like the way that when we watch Hereditary or Midsomar or Lighthouse, I I mentionine, that's how people must have felt in eighty one, like seeing this, Like nowadays you see this stuff like, oh yeah, we've seen some crazy shit. But back then, she's like some of the things that happened, like including my name, I couldn't I saw some young age just like I couldn't believe, like what's going on in this with the film and stuff like that. So the film, it's a quick everything. I love it. I've seen it almost so many times that he felt I didn't need to watch for this retrospective. But I love the film the more. What I like about it is just like it's just the definition of like rock and roll independent filmmaking. It has a budget of three hundred and seventy five thousand dollars and I got some trivia, but it's just like after I'll read some facts, but go on the IMDb and read this. I want them to do like a fall and documentary because like what they did to get this movie going and that thing, it's just like Sam Raimi's first movie. It's Palls the Wall. They just go for it, and it's just like it's a small crew and again, like to me, it's not even a million dollar budget, and I don't think it feels like lower tiers as far as like what you could imagine what a big movie might be look like. But I think what they did with what they had is incredible. Like this is like a guy that had nothing to his name him and Bruce, Oh god, why am I forgetting him? Thank you? They're like taking out loans and stuff from banks just to get this, and like it's just such a it's someone that like wants to do the filmmaking thing. I watch, it's like, man, they really did something special and found like uh kind of lightning in a bottle. And that's why the seconde's a bit different because they had a bitterer budget and there's a whole different spin to it. But this first one, I just I'm always so impressed with it, and it's just genuinely scary. It's one of these movie that I do watch every how. It's just some of the sounds these creatures makes, and some of the visuals and how ramps up to just being oh something scary in the woods to where we get the end. It's just some awful stuff. So I absolutely love this movie. But del Mass, have you had any experience with Evil Dead and if not, what did you think of this go around for yourself?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Really, no experience whatsoever. I feel like I only heard about it maybe when you guys talk about the podcast here or there, or more recently in recent times with s Bubs, just knowing that he's always praising these things. But I remember, like even when we did the Spider Mind No Way Home review and Bruce Campbell has like that character in there, Like on the review, I had to ask you guys, like, I don't know who this guy is. I don't know if I've ever seen in a movie before, had no idea who he was. So I really didn't like I guess I never thought about what did Sam Raimi do before Spider Man.
Speaker 6: I never thought back on his career in that way.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, never seen any of these movies, and truthfully, I don't really know anything about them. I know, Bruce cam there, Yeah, I assume there's some sort of undead that is it. Like I feel like these ones have somehow remained maybe cult movies in a way that they are not a point where like everyone's spoiling things. There's like there's some iconic scene that people are always referencing. I feel like it's lived in obscurity, which kind of I guess fits for what it is. And you know, Travis, you're talking about so much about like how the rock and roll nature of this and how it is so hard to make it, and how this is Sam Raimi's first movie. To me, you know, I look at it from outside of all that. This felt absolutely like this is someone's first time making a movie. I did not like this pretty much at all. There was honestly very little in here that I found any value in This was this movie was absolutely not for me. And you know, there's an element to it where it's like, Okay, you can try and remove yourself from your situation and think back. This came out so long ago, forty years ago, and maybe I can give it some concessions for doing that, But at the same time, that's not gonna like really drastically improve my enjoyment of it. And it sounds like the story of the making this is interesting, so that's cool. I'd like to look into that. But yeah, in terms of like, I did not find this scary pretty much at all. There's a couple effects elements that I thought looked cool, but for the most part didn't really work for me. I don't need a woman getting raped by a tree and my movie is like that to me, Like, he just does not. It's just so cringe and not in like a good cringe.
Speaker 6: It's just like this is stupid. So yeah, there's there's very little liked but this.
Speaker 3: I think the characters, like Bruce Campbell's character's fine. I think he just has like anl like it's weird, he's never I don't know, maybe he's had like a really powerful career or something, but he just has like movie star energy to him in this, Like I got that vibe, even though like I don't know anything else about him, but everyone else is just like whatever. So I'm sorry, s pubbs. I'm sorry to everyone who loves this, but I kind of wait to hear why you guy, why why? At least Travis and presume the other guy you either two liked this thing. But yeah, it did very little for me.
Speaker 1: You know alone. Though there's many people that aren't a fan of these movies. Especially as we go on, the tongue in cheek nature gets a lot more heavy and stuff like that. It starts to lean into the more comedic side, and uh yeah, it's it's, it's it. That's I think that's probably the reason why they are more of the cult followings, because they're not a they're not a wildly loved ones. But uh, Kirkham pats Er, had you ever seen any Evil Dead? And if so, where are you on this?
Speaker 7: I absolutely have I Evil Dead has a big, uh big standing in the pats Are household, My my, my whole family we watched this again. I was probably well too young to watch it, but for some reason, my dad just thought I was ready And like we we reference so many seats, like just lines and sequence from these movies, like in My Household, especially like at my family's house or at my family's house. At my parents' house, they have like a trapdoor situation, which is just like the evil dead door where they have like it's not an actual chain on theirs, but like every time we go down there, I'm just picturing some like possessed person to grab me or whatnot. And like we just always reference it as like the evil dead door and then just like.
Speaker 2: Swallow your soul, Swallow your soul. That wasn't in this movie.
Speaker 7: It's in a later one, but like I yeah, we love this movie so much, and it's I think it is very much that though where like from Dylan's point of view, like if I didn't have any of those like memories and just watched it like now, I probably wouldn't have like it wouldn't have hit hard like at all, and I probably would have been more on his side of this. But yeah, just like I remember being a little kid and like seeing the first time, like some of these characters just get possessed and like fuck just the gore involved like in it. And like I knew it was his first movie, Sam Raimi. I knew it was a lower budget. I didn't realize it was three hundred and seventy five thousand dollars. Like to me, that's crazy with how much like just blood and gore and guts and stuff that they were like showing in these scenes. And yeah, it's it's dated, but I think again it's probably because I'm bringing in my own like loving and joyment for it. But like I just see these scenes and appreciate it so much more for the fact that it is like a lower budget and how they were able to execute like you call it like like a low budget like camera shot. But I just think it's like so clever the way that they just have it like on Bruce Campill's face in like certain moments, whether he's reacting to a scene or when he first goes down in the basement, and it just does like the little panoramic shot around.
Speaker 2: Like very slowly.
Speaker 7: Like I remember being a little kid in that scene and just waiting for something to like jump out, Like I was just so on the edge of my seat, And like this movie very much scared the shit out of me as a young kid, and just like the whole lore with like I think they call it The Book and the Dead. I've heard it called like the Necronomicon, just like like the the book that's made out of like human skin and there's just like a face on it. Like that's just such a creepy concept, and then when you read it, like just the spirits come out to get you. So yeah, I've seen this movie I like probably like five times in my entire life, but like it's been a while since I have seen it. Uh So there was a lot of moments that I just I kind of forgot the way that they went. Like I knew like the main like I guess you'd call it the landmark scenes like throughout the film, but the way that we got there was kind of it was kind of out of my memory. So it was very fun to watch this one again. And yeah, I think I'm just always gonna have like a special place in my heart for this movie because, like I said, like my family and I especially like me and my dad, like we just always reference certain scenes from not just this movie, but like throughout the Evil Dead series, especially, Like I'm excited to get to those other ones again because I feel like I've seen this one the most and the most recent other than the latest remake. I saw that around the time when that one came out. But so yeah, I think it's gonna be a fun retro for sure, especially like Traves you're alluding to, just how much more comedic it kind of gets. I remember that shift as a wee young lad, so I'm excited to go through it again. And yeah, I'm excited to just dive into this one, mister Field.
Speaker 5: So this would be my first time actually watching this one. I've watched Evil Dead two, Armory Darkness, the new remake one that I watched Ash for Civil Dead a few times.
Speaker 1: I love all those, watched the show. I'm surprised and still not the first one.
Speaker 5: I love the show Holy Shits Dead is fantastic, But this one, I I don't think I ever got around to it because it just kind of confused me because the second one, I see people talking like it's a reboot, sequel, remake, whatever, and so I just kind of thought, like, oh, I just never went back to go and watch this one, I guess, and like.
Speaker 4: Like the second the second one is the.
Speaker 5: One I've always I've watched a lot of and that one, like we'll talk more about that when we get to that retro. But going into this one, I thought It was interesting because I've seen that remake and the remake, and this one had like it's cool where I can see like, Okay, they've connected things, and when I'm watching this one, I think, okay, like I can kind of predict like where we're going to kind of go like certain story paths here, and I thought like, okay, they're doing this, this, this, and there are other things. I thought, well, they're definitely not going to do this because like I didn't see this represented any of the other evil that content, So I imagine this is something that they did new that was in the remake, but then no, they did it in this original ones.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's cool.
Speaker 5: So the remake pulled from this and all that kind of stuff like the the tree scene, which again I don't really need.
Speaker 1: That in my horror movies, the full shock core like that's what it is.
Speaker 4: Just shock, all right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But I think that the universe and the backstory between the Necronomicon and the Dead Heights and everything that they kind of create, I think it's very interesting. I think if the way I see, like if you get maimed by one of these things, you're fucked, and the just the the concept of using the camera as.
Speaker 4: Whatever this entity is.
Speaker 5: It's like cruising through is such a it leaves it up to your imagination what this thing could could be. And I just I really really like that, and it's something that I've never seen in a movie before. I think this is definitely like kind of like a camera work that's kind of put its stamp down of like certification, like yeah, we've we've done this first, and like this is our deal, like you said, Kirklum, doing close up shots of like Campbell's expressions and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of different angles that they they work well with, and well, the they didn't need to do.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I can't know if there was really any kind of CGI stuff like that, Like there was a lot of practical effects. The second one, Yeah, the second one has like like amount of that, but but like this one, Yeah, the use of practicality, I really I appreciated it.
Speaker 1: So I don't think CGI like technically existed back then.
Speaker 5: It's just like, yeah, it's the special effects, like I mean, like the Evil Dead two level special effects, because I don't think I think this had maybe a tiny fraction of something in it.
Speaker 1: But well, like Dylan referred, I think you're talking about like when things start to melt and stuff and the books and everything, like they all start to raw and stuff or everything of that scene.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, the hands came out of their bodies and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which stands out because it's like the whole movie has been very gritty, dirty, realistic, and I like what they're going for, but it's just like it looks very I don't know, I don't know if that works the best, but I get what they're going for, Like it looks almost too fantastical for what it is. It looks almost too bright and look like that thing is probably some sort of clay or something like that where it's but I can't. Oh yeah, I get what they're trying.
Speaker 7: It's just it's you know, it reminded me of Indiana Jones and the Lost Arc right when they're like melting and like it's just everything's fallen off. So I and like, because it's an eighty one movie, like I just kind of look at it and like, man, like good on them for like just they could do like yeah exactly, like like going through all that effort of doing the stop motion, because that's very much what it looked like and that would have been a long time to do those scenes.
Speaker 2: I know Dylan's had some experience with the stop motion.
Speaker 6: It can it can be pretty, uh pretty stressful in my big career.
Speaker 2: Your YouTube chat still live, go support subscribe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's those super chat you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Taylor you mentioned you you reminded me too with the like the spirit cam.
Speaker 7: I guess of like following with like the car in the beginning and at the end, like going to Bruce Campbell.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 7: I can't remember if it was like Halo, Call of Duty or CSGO or something, but one of those games had like a free cam when you were dead and you can just move it around like that, and I just remember always I just like felt like I was like that Spirit from Evil Dead, just like gunning through like you're just like getting closer and closer to a character.
Speaker 2: Just little games I would have with myself.
Speaker 1: CSCO definitely did that because I remember being my friend's basement. That's just what you're doing, you're dead and stuff like that. Yeah, that's the stuff where I just look at it go like how did they pull some of this stuff off? Because like some of it's just them with a camera run around, but it's like it doesn't ever to me feel like that does feel like it's a floating thing. Like there is one funny story where Bruce Campbell, like the one over water, they had like Sam raimy on some sort of like sheet of wood or something. So he had like push Sam in the water while he was doing the shop, but he wasn't touching the water. There's like all these tricks they use, and that's what I love about it. But uh, yeah, that that I love. It's just this olmonius just always and right when you think it's over, it's always back and it could get you at a moment and you don't know because you think, can you break through glass in doors? In the beginning the movie it can't, but then at the end it's just tearing through those doors. And even then like I'm looking at the doors, Okay, how do they pull us off? How do they do this? Like it's just they're very lucky they found this location and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: So this is this is something I do when I watch Goosebumps, specifically the slappy episodes. When I watch Evil Dead as well, and they're reading off the verse, I'll actually mute my TV just to mute a couple of lines.
Speaker 2: It scares me. I kid you not, It just scares me the like fucking daylights out.
Speaker 4: And the same with Slappy too goosebumps.
Speaker 5: I gotta mute that shit because I don't want fucking something coming alive or anything.
Speaker 1: You ever been twilled? Wis puppet just sitting? I don't know.
Speaker 2: You just don't.
Speaker 1: You don't read the line. But I think a good place to start is I kind of went Dylan said. I think for the reason you still see them and stuff in Bruce Campbell, I think, And it's funny because you got to co producer cred on this, like and he put a lot of his own money in this in the spine of a Star, and I think you can depth like, I wonder what this movie is like without him, you know. And this is coming from someone that likes it, but it is like he's such a big anchor. And I think that's why he did three of them. In the Fans and in the show, of course, and fans are such a big like proponent for him, always trying to be the especially ash Ash. The character became like a very especially after two becomes a very iconic horror character. Because two, it's very much just a even more so just a solo Bruce Campbell type of deal. And I think he does hold it down. He's still like bright eyed and bush tails. There's still some overacting, but I guess for me, this is one of those movies where the overacting kind of works. It's almost similar to like a lighthouse point of view, where it can be so cheesy and over the top and just kind of eye rolly, but it kind of works in this scenario. So but Bruce Campbell, yeah, he he holds it down. I think if you didn't have him, it would be a there might not be a franchise to retrospective, you know, like that's the thing. So I'm a big fan of Bruce Campbell in here and happy it all worked out for him, you know.
Speaker 3: Very kind of random question for you guys, And maybe this is just like answered number two and we don't need to go into it or anything like.
Speaker 1: That, but.
Speaker 3: I'm just curious what's going on with how they get kind of infected or turned because to me, it seemed like obviously the one girl got the tree deep inside her and that's what and then from that point, it seemed like whenever she was drawing blood or stabbing or scratching someone that infected them.
Speaker 6: But like I swear he gets scratched.
Speaker 3: Or something multiple this whole leg gets fucking yeah, exactly a leg. Yeah, So is he just immune or what's going on with him? Is he like a chosen one situation? Or am I miss him something here?
Speaker 1: Kinda but he's like I would say, the best way is he's not immune and then you'll learn about that. But like there, he's not immune and there is a chosen one sort of situation. It's kind of both and stuff like that. It's a weird thing, but like I agree with that, the rules aren't. It's so he's the main character and he can't probably you know, he got to get it affected at the end or kno getting infected and stuff like that. And maybe there is some deeper reason of why certain characters if it's like a mind over matter thing, if it's a sort of thing because of like your willpower or something, But they don't really stress that too much. She just seems like that for a while, it's okay, get the pencil, well, she is down, like I get scratched, But then ash. Yeah, a bunch of stuff does happen to him, and he does make it out at the end of it, you know. So and I'm not sure if it's just because I can't like if there can does there always have to be like one normal person kind of around, like because if he turns evil, what's he supposed to do? Like there's no one left for him to kill, right, So it's like do they even want him at that point because there's nothing. But maybe when he wins and he's going on in the free world, that's why this thing's gonna latch onto. Oh he's actually gonna escape. Let's bring that out there, you know, Let's take that and see what gas station may go to and stuff.
Speaker 3: So well, I was reading about that too. I think what Lynn does, the character's name, She is, like, you know, doing her thing. She's just sitting on the ground, just like squealing. There's so much squealing.
Speaker 1: It's a loud movie loud. Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: But at one point she fully evil, her face is transformed, but then she goes back and she's normal for a bit, and then like you know, at at some point the camera turns away and then she starts squealing again. So was that was she evil the whole time and there was like a choice that she can like appear back or did you genuinely turn back into a normal person for a bit there?
Speaker 6: What's going on there?
Speaker 5: Genuine it's that's something you learned later on, Like just they take advantage of people's like emotions and weaknesses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's all it is. They's just like just trying to trick you into a false sense of hope that okay, so it's all better because they always say that, like, oh it's gonna be fun. That's one of my favorite quotes is, uh, all the stuff has gone down. She like the first girl has like freaked out and everything like that, and she like they have her locked in a basement, and then the other buddy that's not ash. She's just like, don't worrything's gonna be okay at this point, Like it's definitely not gonna be okay you when your friend's locked up. And I do love the line of just like what like, oh man, I got goose was just thinking about it? When what's I gotta pull the IMDb because I know some Vicky, You're not that big of a fan. You don't know all their names, but I don't said the rest of the characters aren't really much right home. But but when Ash's girlfriend just says that line of what happened to her eyes? That has always stuck with me because it's just.
Speaker 3: Like it is.
Speaker 1: They're just so dead shot. Now I will say that the makeup, I think it's it's back and forth of the ones I like and the ones I don't like. When Ash's girlfriend gets.
Speaker 4: Was Linda right because Cheryl was one with the eyes.
Speaker 1: It's them When Lynda turns evil, they just got her with some like capsules and like it's make it doesn't look anything like that crazy.
Speaker 6: But the first they don't make the neck right. They don't even do the side of the face like it's just like the front.
Speaker 1: And like legitimately part of that is because they halfway throughout the movie they had more budget, So I guarantee that's where part of it was, that they had nothing left to spend, and like, like that's why there's lots of time. I had this on the trivia that he Bruce Campbell had to play like the characters when he didn't see their face or to the side, like he had to do scenes as other characters because they shot half the movie and the other people had to go, but Bruce Campbell stayed to finish it, and that's why it's mostly him at the end. But yeah, there's a lot of stuff where if you like, it's him having to be that character. But yeah, it's uh when Cheryl turns. I really like her makeup. I love the look. I love the darkness they use in the cellar and all that stuff. And when it is just like you just see those eyes and they're like glowing, that stuff is stuck with me. And that's where, Yeah, the movie every time, I won't have to watch it as ninetime because the kids, but I have to have muted or so loud or so like quiet because they they took that treble and base and just turned it all the way up. And I could not even imagine watching this in the theaters. This must have been fucking just like you mind must have just been on fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's very iconic.
Speaker 7: Sounds It almost like reminds me of like Nazi zombies when you're playing that, just like the sounds like the creatures making and I mean like it just like it goes in like the evil category, like these things are not like it's no redeeming like, oh, you're gonna get them back, Like this is just pure evil and the way that they fuck with our characters and like like you shout it out already the link when the character that's possessed goes back to like the human form and just like mess with them like it it seems like like the creatures, the possessed ones are messing with Bruce Campbell or I guess called a mash like even without switching back, like the way that I can't remember if it was Linda or Cheryl, but she's just like sitting in the door way, just like super creepy smile, just doing her little like cackle, just like like why is she there?
Speaker 2: Like why is she there? Just just so he doesn't leave, or just.
Speaker 7: To completely fuck with him and get under his skin. It's just like that aspect to the characters. I think just really stuck with me is as a young one because it's like, why aren't they just attacking him, Like isn't that what they want to do here?
Speaker 2: No, They're like, ah, they're like fucking with him. It just yeah, it hits me.
Speaker 6: It was that was a weird element like the whole way through.
Speaker 3: There was several scenes where there's like, yeah, one of the evil possessed characters is like standing right in front of them, and the rest of the characters are just like standing around like they have no reaction. They're not like, Okay, let's grab a weapon. They're not like let's get out of this, let's lock the door, let's save each other. Like they just stand around and it was it was just weird to me. Reminded me of the Second Fantastic Beast movie. I remember having that criticism of the movie. There's just often characters in the background where clearly there was like no writing for them, but they're still there and they're.
Speaker 6: Just not reacting to what's going on.
Speaker 3: I just had that multiple times in this movie, where there's like, yeah, an evil character right in front of them, but they just have no.
Speaker 6: Reaction to it. It's it's very bizarre to me.
Speaker 1: And there's one thing I like that after everything goes down shore not everything, but when they got her, like this tremagic event happened, she wants to go and she can't, they just like resort to playing cars. I it's always laughed for it, just like the shit has hit the fan and like, well, let's just play some cards and she's gonna be okay. Like that portion is there's time where I go, okay, yeah, there's something in here that don't necessarily work, and I think it is. I don't know if it's a calmover for a film or other than ash Like, I don't think any of these people want on to really do much other things right, So it's just like doing the best you can with the crew.
Speaker 3: But they should have stayed on set longer instead of leaving as you said.
Speaker 1: Oh you'll see it. It got to be a bad situation where they had to live in stuff, so it was a oh yeah, some stuff went down. But what I was gonna say, I oh, sorry, career, you're gonna.
Speaker 7: Uh just I wanted to add on to the scene where you got goosebumps, where it's just like her eyes and they just keep like fixating on that. I love so much about that scene, but like particularly how it shot, Like it's basically from the perspective of Ryl, like the possessed one in the basement, and she's just like looking at them, and then like the actors are looking at the camera and it's.
Speaker 6: Just like look her eyes.
Speaker 2: Like it's just it's so freaky because us like in that moment, like we can't even see the eyes, but like, well we did already, but in that moment we don't.
Speaker 7: And it's just the noises that she's making, just like clawing out trying to get out of that that basement door.
Speaker 2: The basement. It's I feel like that's the most iconic thing for me through this entire series.
Speaker 1: And that's what's funny is because I feel like them as the human actors are not the greatest, but I feel like all of them put one hundred and ten percent effort into the being the possess, and they're they're just like, for better or worse, whether it sounds or the way they're throwing their body, they're in it. They're they're they're making me believe that they've been possessed. And it's all right, sure, al's the worst one for creepy me, Like I still think about it.
Speaker 3: Something I found funny is like the the basement, like the cellar door busts open, so they go down there and then eventually they they don't find anything, right, they just find like the book and the audio recorder.
Speaker 4: They come back up.
Speaker 3: But that was so funny to me that like they just all seem to forget about that, that they're like, oh, yeah, something did bust that cellar open. They never found what it was, and they just like forgot about it and moved on. And it's like it could have just been an animal, but it's like it would have been a big animal.
Speaker 2: When you have seen that.
Speaker 6: I thought it was funny that they just eventually forgot about that.
Speaker 3: They got distracted by all these goodies in the basement, which to an extent is understandable, but it just never comes up again.
Speaker 6: What was it the basement originally?
Speaker 1: Well, and that's what they kind of like. And I think that's why I'm very curious to them. If you watch the second one, if you end up liking that one more, because I feel like I.
Speaker 3: Want to keep going. I want to see what's going on with these movies, so I'll keep watching.
Speaker 1: It's tough because, yeah, I have the knowledge of the other ones, and it feels like with the second one they get more comedic and they lean in that. And that's why I always wonder if this first one's supposed to try and invoke that kind of comedic stuff, but at times it's trying to be so serious that it just doesn't work and it kind of comes off as silly where the other ones start to lean into it. So I don't know if it's that kind of che or chag Rick and egg or chicken situation of oh this really works that first one, I want to do more of that, or just didn't work the best here. But yeah, they're all a bunch of like dumb tea, Like all the stuff they want to do just doesn't make They are the quintessential iconic dumb characters that they're getting killed off one by one. They're not making the best decisions. They don't question what's going on, like even what happens when Cheryl comes back, Like of course you probably not gonna believe a story about a tree, but still I wouldn't be able to sit down just play cards and hang out and just oh, well, I think it's gonna be okay, Like Cheryl just had a bad night. You know, it's like, no that she's speaking about some crazy stuff right now.
Speaker 2: You know, So.
Speaker 5: When that guy went off because he's like, oh, she's your girlfriend, Scott, not mine, Yes, Scott. When he goes off and he's he's one hundred and ten percent when he's leaving because he's all not hurt or anything like that.
Speaker 4: He literally because that it was weird why Linda, like.
Speaker 5: Ash didn't do anything with Linda, Like Linda Kimmel's in the hallway sitting there and like Ash like is like freaking out buyer, but like goes to the door and then this is like two minutes later, Scott's back and they're fucking beat to shit. It's just not looking good. Puts him down on the couch. But then Ash colles to like stoke the fire and Linda's just sitting there.
Speaker 4: It's like, this is a bit weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Scott's quite a He's just there to be the aggressor of this situation and stuff like that. And I I loved to at one point when they were just like I think I can't remember, I can'tmember the exact dialogue went up, but their whole big plane is here is to escape, like they're just gonna bury and this is before like the whole ritual. They're just gonna bury one of the girls. And it's just I keep thinking, like what are they gonna say when they get back into town. Like I always play that in mind of like what's gonna happen, Like, how do you explain any of this, which, of course just like they're not gonna leave and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: They ever explain whose cabin they're going to?
Speaker 6: I don't think so.
Speaker 7: But they said they got a good deal on it, but I wasn't sure if that's meant that they bought it, yeah, just rented.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I don't know if it's one of these things that ends up being like it was fate that you had to go there, because like from I suppose Dealing, the whole second movie also takes place in the cabin, so it's when the same the same cabin, the same cab, Yes, the same cabin. So yeah, I think it's kind of a like I guess it could have been a good deal, but it almost like there was a fake got them. Yeah, exactly, like somehow fake got someone there, Yeah, exactly, gotta get them out of there. But yeah, that would cook When you're talking about the basement, those were actually that's different locations. So the cabin, everything that's there, but then the trap door in the basement that they filmed a different location, so that wasn't just one set and everything like that. So but yeah, no, I I think for me, I also just like that. You know, obviously it gets a little loud at time, but I love all the set designs. I love like everything is loud and it's not loud, and the way there is a couple like I think jump scary moments, but lots of times I think it's just to feel like you're just your head's kind of pulsing. I love just get even the locks of the door, like when someone blocks the door, like it just I guess it invokes like a creepy like campfire story type away telling them when people like, oh, I'm the guy with the claw came up and stuff like. That's why I like and this is just like a very rated R version of that. But it's very like all the sound design I like, even if it's very over the top. I think I like that they chose it for the entire movie and stuff like that. Like even one of my favorite shots is when they first pull up, and I love it because you know, it's probably just some guy on the side swinging it. But when they pull up and the shot is the cars in the distance and you got that swing and it's just going back and forth, and they got like it's loud, crickety and stuff like that, but it's just like there's no wind, there's nothing going on, but it's just this chair is swinging back and forth. But I love that's just like these little choices that makes the aura of the cabin and around it feel everything feels lively and uh out to get you in a sense.
Speaker 7: So and like later on in the film and that when they would do multiple like shots of the cabin, but just like the wind is hitting it and it's just like it's like they're in like ghost town.
Speaker 2: At that point.
Speaker 7: Like it's just it's very like low visibility and just you have like the little uh like window flaps I guess, like hitting the cabin. It's just yeah, I agree with the sound design. The screeches can definitely be a little bit a little bit much at parts. I was finishing this movie this morning and Shade just like heard it, Like I don't even want to know what the hell you're watching it. It was just like like like it was like just peak, like all the possessed ones are just like screeching all at the same time.
Speaker 2: So it's like, oh yeah, no, just some people dead podcast stuff, you get it.
Speaker 1: I'm glad were I think for most houses. I see that we retired window flaps, you know, because those would I imagine sounds. But I don't see window flaps anymore, which which was wasn't the point of them just to pull them over your window for like to darken it up. I guess right, that's so, yeah, we got blinds now we got blind.
Speaker 5: I'd use a couple of window flaps pretty good, of course you would, Taylor this guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're the guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you got you guys using glass.
Speaker 5: You know, when the fucking fog miss thing creatures flying at you, the deadight force, you gotta you gotta seal those in and then i won't be able to get in there.
Speaker 2: So I'm fucked either way they want me. Yeah, kidding me.
Speaker 1: I had too many windows, you know, that's the problem and breaking through and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: I'm like with the demon.
Speaker 1: So I got a big tree in the backyard.
Speaker 5: Too, so that uh, like before shit kind of like hit the fan. They were alluding to it, but like at the beginning when they were driving and there's just it's very random very peculiar. These two guys are on the sidewalk and like the Scott was hawking totally not howking are you jackasses?
Speaker 1: Very weird guy.
Speaker 7: That character had some of the funniest dialogue for me, though, because it was just like the most eye rolly, cheesy, like douchebag lines when it was like yeah, like I'm not hawking to you assholes, or like another weird one was like it's brusk or it's Ash's car, but they had like Scott driving it, which is just weird to me. I feel like, if it's my car, I'm probably gonna be the one driving. But the point but he's just like, yeah, that's fair. But he's just like ship talking.
Speaker 2: His car is like your piece of shit car, just like turn on its own.
Speaker 7: He's like, that doesn't make sense. I just got it checked in yesterday. It's like what that better get it checked again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just so random to me.
Speaker 7: And then the other the other great classic line from him, but I mean Taylor already mentioned a good one when he's like it's your girlfriend, I'm going out there on my own. But when when the basement door opens up and I can't remember if it was Sheryl or Linda or whoever it was. It's just like, I think it's an animal. He's like just like huge, like just flamboyant laugh and he's just like, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life, just belittally, and then a.
Speaker 3: Second later he's like, yeah, it probably was an animal.
Speaker 2: That guy just never never sees disappoint with the just asshole lines that he brings.
Speaker 1: I think, God, they didn't pick all those hitchhikers though, you know, they dodged a bolt those hitchhikers because they met fucking hated they ever they had to stop at the cabin.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I totally forgot about that scene, Taylor, but I felt like when I was watching it, I thought that there was something sinister about the truck that was oncoming, because I feel like you can't see the person that's in there, Like they make it seem like it's some sort of you know, possessed being.
Speaker 2: Or creepy music with it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're alluding to.
Speaker 3: Something, and then it's just like never really comes up again. So that's kind of an interesting moment.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't even know. I'd have to go back and maybe we should pull this up at one point, like what the trailers were for this and the ace?
Speaker 6: So I just wonder the way.
Speaker 1: I like, I wonder if there was a way that you're wondering, like, hey, what is the plaw of this movie? And I imagine many times like oh, the scary hitchhikers or something like that, like that could have been something maybe they're trying to allude to that, like all this might be something that's set up to it, like not supernatural, but that is. But maybe the trailers are just I guarantee the traids they got to have the monsters and stuff like that. I will have to look at it. But but yeah, I guess, like we kind of talked about, but starts are just there for the trip and then Shayl's one here and stuff and then yeah, the like you're not wrong about the tree sequence, it's not. I think you could go for more applied for it. I don't mind the choice because it's one of those, like I said, I feels like a very weird like high horror, where it's like, Okay, we're gonna take something you'd never thought of it, and I just remember, as like I I you've seen it and not exactly knowing what was going on now I do, but as you know, I just was like this tree hazard and then obviously then like a breast bops on them, Like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: That's the part too where it's like, oh, of course it's ripping her clothes off and all this stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is gretringe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it is very like it fits right with the eighties because eighties is the peak genre of like it's gonna be naked with like if you can get a girl naked, you're gonna have it in a horror movie.
Speaker 3: So maybe I just haven't seen like enough of those movies because I'm I, as many people know who've listened to gig Verse for many years, like a lot of these kind of older horror things like I just totally passed me by. It's really more in the gig Verse era that I've been watching things. But of course that's more modern things. So maybe if I had seen a bunch of these movies before, it's something I wouldn't have stood out, but it would just you know, I was just particularly weird and gross for me. Oh yeah, I just like it added absolutely nothing. It did not ascend the quality this thing at all.
Speaker 6: It was just strange.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's like I said before, they're trying to just shock you and trying to make you feel like, oh, that's something I haven't seen before. But yeah, the eighties, like that's Friday thirteenth, that's Halloween, and that's like pure sex, drugs, rock and roll as far as like women are constantly new, there's constant sex scenes, are getting killed during sex scene. It's like the complete there's like, I don't think exactly the same era, but it's like close to like Last House on the Left and Spit on Your Grave, where the plot is like these women getting sexual abuse and they come back to kill people. So I feel like this is very much like the way Tarantino Knight has made that movie. And we're trying to make like crime dramas like that the eighties where a lot of people just riffing off of like let's do a lot of like shocking stuff, and let's like show a lot of nudity, not lots of male nudy. You'll get some male butt, but no male nudy in here and stuff. But yeah, treating appens, and then I guess that's the thing that I like not necessarily that scene, but it just escalates very fast. I feel like other the beginning, it moves around bit. You get the tape, and I love the guy's voice on the tape. I love like it. It's again that kind of Saturday night like creepy storytelling element. I like that. But I think that's what I enjoy that it doesn't I can't even remember what the actual runtime is, but it does not feel like it takes.
Speaker 2: It's short our twenty I think, or like our twenty five something.
Speaker 1: Yah's pretty sure that's a yeah hour twenty five. Yeah, And that's what it doesn't feel like, even if there's things you dislike. I think there's things like it doesn't feel like there's like a waste of moment as far as we get into because when the shit hit the fan, it goes quick, and we do lose the characters quite often pretty fast, you know, like they're dropping like flies. So it's a not maybe an easy watch, but it's a it's a quick watch. So I like the pacing, the escalation, everything like that of it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, of course it's a very classic thing where Cheryl's the character who's already been the most freaked out, like when the when the cellar door pops open. Just everything, she's been the most freaked out. So it makes the least sense that she would be the one to off into the woods at night. It makes no sense. But of course that is like a very trophy thing, so I whatever I'm used to that. I did like the sequence when she's in the cabin and like the clock is being all weird, it's glitching out, and she was drawing, but then she starts just like you know, she's becoming possessed and she essentially draws like the Book of the Dead.
Speaker 6: I thought the acting she had on that of.
Speaker 3: Like her arm twitching out, was actually was pretty good. So I liked that that moment that was very much the turn for her character. And then I think shortly after that is when we get her floating in the window.
Speaker 6: I thought that looked really good.
Speaker 3: To me, that was maybe the standout visual moment of the whole thing. And there's some good stuff, like especially for the budget that they had and what they were working with, but I thought that looked really good.
Speaker 6: Her just floating in the window was very creepy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 7: Something I wanted to mention when you brought up the tape there, Travis, I feel like this, like this is definitely something that I see in so many type of horror, especially once a like place in a house or something that like bad shit happened here, and then this is where our new cast is. I like, I've seen this so many times, but it'll never really like fall short for me, I think is when they find those sort of tapes and it's just like we found a cabin in the woods, and then like as he keeps describing, it's like like it just gets more and more like fucked up where it's like, oh yeah, and the only way you can do is like dismembering them, but like just picturing like the characters in that situation. It's just like shit, like is this real? Did this actually happen here? I feel like that's that's like a horror movie trope that it always works for me. It's always just like a creepy concept of like especially you know, like I go to Airbnb's like with some friends or whatever out of cabin and it's just like imagine like finding something like that, I would have been totally freaked out. So I like the way that was done and you shout out the voice actor whoever was on the tape, hea the very he sounded like a professor and like that ny, soothing voice to him.
Speaker 2: You have a you have a cabin, donkey, Travis? Or should we we all be worried?
Speaker 1: That's what I wanted to do the horror movie.
Speaker 7: We're gonna pull up this exact set, swingings, going back and forth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, no, I just was shocked scrolling down. I even forgot that I was rated n C seventeen. So that's a day where it's just like, oh boy, But I just love the quote on the poster. The most ferocially ferociously original horror film of the year, Stephen King.
Speaker 2: All Right, the other one I saw was The Ultimate Experience and Grueling Horror is back.
Speaker 6: It's back.
Speaker 1: Let me check in my notes, but anything specific scenes wise, moments wise to shout out the pantsil always fucking gets.
Speaker 7: Me too, And like when he checks the wound later and it just like like the venom symbiot essentially just like takes over and then she just like springs up like don't wake up daddy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when when Cheryl is like gnawing her hand off like that that is very visceral, very nasty. I actually really liked the stop motion of them melting. I think you mentioned Travis it gets maybe a bit too fantastical, and I can I can agree with that, but I did really like the look of it and just the melting in the ground and they throwing the kind of moldy sort of sort of colors and it's all gross, and the cockroaches are popping out.
Speaker 6: Who knows where the cockroaches came from. Just immediately there's a snake.
Speaker 2: There's a snake in there too.
Speaker 7: It's like a little like gardener snake or something that was just sitting there. I'm like, okay, that's a weird detail.
Speaker 6: A yeah. I liked that scene though.
Speaker 2: And there was like a mashed potato thing something that came out of like that, Like that's like minced garlet or something.
Speaker 7: Come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that one was was too far.
Speaker 1: I just got some meal after She's like, look I got a snake on a potato And you're bringing up further did you? Guys like the I always loved it works enough for me, but when Ash is like hitting Cheryl with the shovel, but then they like change it to the dummy Cheryl, and it's like the like the sand and I really liked it's it is. It is so goofy. It stands out, but it's almost because they're like, I can go with it. But man, I get a good laugh every time I see that thing.
Speaker 3: So I guess maybe my last note here is that I was pretty surprised at the ending that the ending is just like a direct cliffhanger of the once again the Dead like first person perspective, flying towards Ash, he turns around briefly and then it just just cuts there because I feel like lower budget things. Sam Raimi is kind of an unknown at this point, who knows if he is gonna do another one of these things, So I thought it was pretty bold to end it in a very cliffhangary way like that.
Speaker 1: So and I think that's what I like it, because it is in that aspect that you can also take it as like they just get Ash and he also still dies, you know, like no matter what, Like he gets out, but it's over because he gets out and this thing grabs him right away, and that doesn't make sense because he did this memberment. I don't know, but again, I think they kind of give you some cannon reasons later on, but that doesn't affect this one because it should just be the solo film and it's like, well he and I don't know, does that still come back to he did this member and all this stuff, But because he did get attacked or touched or anything like that, that's why it's always has like a link on or things like that. So and I love the enda, And that's like a very sam Raimie, old school Samurai would always end on some character yell and you're screaming. He brought that back from Multiverse of Madness. When Strange caught the eye, they do that same shot where it goes hard on Benedict and he yells and yeah, and he yells into it. So that's like a nice little Raimi trope there.
Speaker 2: So I love the look of the book.
Speaker 7: I think they changed the appearance of the book, if I remember correctly, from this one to the next movie, and maybe.
Speaker 2: All the other ones.
Speaker 1: I think they all of them well, because there's technically they might change the look, but there's technically three books, the Ashes con Nude, he has this book and me, which is the it's not even a remake the newest, the newest one that has come out. There's a book there, and then Eel Dead Rise apparently has the third book, because there is a moment where they talk about they show like there's three different books and they're all connected the dark. Yeah, very similar, Yeah exactly, and uh yeah, so that's why a needle Dead Rise were seeing the final book.
Speaker 7: You know, like this one to me, it just like it looks at least from the other ones that I've seen, Like it looks just the most basic, like it's just like a small little face. But at the same time, it makes it so much creepier to that point because like I could believe that this was made out of like a human face or something like it reminds me of like leather face or like like that sort of situation.
Speaker 2: So yeah, just a very very freaky book.
Speaker 7: And uh like like especially from the first time that you see the book air quotes, because like you don't actually see the book, it's just from that drawing and you just see like a little bit of a face on it, but it's like, what actually is this? And then of course you see it later on and yeah, it's just creepy concept made out of human flesh, just pure evil. Just yeah, terrifying concept.
Speaker 1: If people want to know what I was like in elementary school, that was I had a book that I had notes in there for that I had like a replica like that. They sold the store of that. That's what. Of course, of course you're the kid with the Yeah that says everything, you know, But no, it was you know, it's so funny though. The rubber book, it had such a great sensation. It felt so good to have, Like it was one of those like you just like, oh man, this is a great thing.
Speaker 2: You're just rubbing your human facebook.
Speaker 1: But I was and had like the little.
Speaker 4: Block and eyes with your teachers you're rubbing the.
Speaker 1: Teeth were so I don't think anyone would know, but it was just like, oh, it was great.
Speaker 3: Surprised because I was still like around, uh when you were in school and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it it is, but my dad found it because like he knows, I'm fan that stuff, But I think it is. That's the good stuff. But when movies become cult classics as well, because the merchandise is always around, like hot topic always has something where I don't know if there was like a well even then though maybe it could have been a time because when does Army Darkness come out? That's the third one, and that could that was I guess, yeah, that was more. That was nineteen ninety two. But so no, I was not alive yet, so I don't know where my deg I have to ask him. But I remember getting it for Christmas and it was just the feel.
Speaker 4: It was like such a nice rubber, real skin book that he got.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I went to a cabin one day and I found Travis, here's this.
Speaker 6: I don't have a way to play this.
Speaker 7: We talked about some of the gore already, but like just shouting out a couple of scenes in particular, you did the pencil on already, Travis. But when I think it's when when Ash is like versus Scott and he just like squishes his eyeballs in and they just like like gush out, and I think after that he like pulls something I don't even remember what it is like out of Scott and it's literally just like open the flood gates, just like so much blood pours out of it. I definitely forgot about just how like how much liquid is in this movie. I guess is a good way to say it, because like burst Campbell just gets so coated in like blood in brownish whitish looking liquids at times, like it's just he is just encased. He's like looking like a Nickelodeon Choice Award or something like that.
Speaker 1: By the end of it, when he's finding the camera and like you have that and I love the shot when it's a camera, it's the blood and and that's where I think the na gets very We're just gonna do a bunch of just random creepy shit because like why is this camera turning on? Why is it blood? But I love all that stuff, and yeah, it just looks like he's been through He's been through hell, and I guess he did go through hell.
Speaker 2: You know he really did.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So the gore and like again that's where like the practical effects it just it's it's shiny in those moments, like like like the pencil and you just see like the gush coming out of it, or like when Bruce Campbell is uh outside and like I already talked about, like when he's getting his like leg just clawed at and it's just like peeling the skin back, like it's just like a really weak orange peel or something, and it's just like.
Speaker 2: Right to the flesh. It's like, God, this is just so gruesome. But I normally hate this sort of stuff.
Speaker 7: But I think it's just because I I have fond memories of being absolutely scared of shit back in the day, and.
Speaker 1: He thing else it's gonna I did find the trail, so I was gonna pull that up.
Speaker 2: I don't think they get anything. No, I don't have anything, all.
Speaker 1: Right, I pull that up and then I got some fun trivia about how the shooting situation was not the not the best, but they they made it work. So let's hear a full screen that I don't know why the screen is blue. Give me a second. Here is.
Speaker 3: Evil dead.
Speaker 1: I'll make sure that sounds not too loud. Don't want those schools going on.
Speaker 2: Mm hm Yeah, for Taylor's sake.
Speaker 1: Trailer HD ten ADP guarantee this is a ten A P trail. They can say it's ten AP.
Speaker 3: But no, I watched this thing in four by three resolution.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they even show the tree. I'm surprised about, like how much they show in a trailer already, you know, Like I remember I said they'd show the monsters.
Speaker 3: Yeah right away with the Yeah, this is nothing like a modern trailer, which is, you know, not surprising, but it's interesting to go back to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's just but I feel like they're showing you, like almost all the movie here, like not like in the sequence of like start to finish, but the big scares and but no one would have prepared you for. Oh sorry, Taylor, you might want to mute this because you're.
Speaker 4: He's got his Apple headphones.
Speaker 1: In there, headphones. But I don't care what happens.
Speaker 2: I've made the trailer.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, the chainsaw.
Speaker 3: You know that that's pretty iconic in the series, right, Yeah, it's such.
Speaker 2: A weird trailer.
Speaker 1: All that's why you got to go to Bernie's and Colonna, like they play the trailers and like even they like the Star Wars New Hope trailer. It's just like the most like just the things they show. She's like, how did people go? Like, how are people hyped to go see Star Wars and New Hope when you see the trailer? So and that that shot is like that the close up, that's like the class that I feel like I see all the time. In pre they showed the they're showing like the whole ending here and everything.
Speaker 6: They show a ton man.
Speaker 1: They're literally about there. Well, there you go. So there there's a trailer from nineteen eighty one. So let's see here. So the cabin, I said, the gujory of the cabin used as film was also lodging thirteen crew members, with several people sleeping in the same room. Living conditions were terrible. The crew frequently argued. The cabin didn't have plumbing, so the actors went days without showering and fell ill frequently in the freezing weather. By the end of the production, they were burning furniture to stay warm. Wow, So that is fucking gorilla on this. They should they should, maybe for legal reasons, they don't want to. At the end of principal shooting in Tennessee, the crew put together a little time capsule package and buried inside the fireplace at the cabin as a memental production to whom ever found it. The cabin has since been destroyed. It got burned down, but the fireplace is still intact. They had this fireplace in this cabin built specifically for the movie. That's the only thing that's still standing. Apparently, no one's actually said, where this cabin is Sam Raimi's joke that he's the one that burnt it down. Apparently was just some teens hanging out. But the reason people stop revealing the situation is because I guess there was lots of graffiti when people did fight, like lots of just evil dead stuff put around and everything. But yeah, so it's burnt down and just somewhere in the woods. I'm not sure if it's still there, but just that fireplace they made for the movie was the only thing standing. So that's kind of fun and creepy and stuff.
Speaker 2: That's like, yeah, it's got its own creepy story to it. Did they have like a tape a tape in there?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, what did they bury? You know what did they bury?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So the original script called for all the characters to be smoking marijuana when they're listening to the tape. The actors decided to try this for real, and the entire scene had to be reshot due to their uncontrolla will be so imagine it just didn't go well.
Speaker 3: Burn some budget there, some valuable budget, plus the amount of money they spent on weed that part of the budget.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to get that in there. Yeah, The blood is a combination of Carl Syrup non dairy creamer and red food coloring. At one point, Bruce Campbell's searched the shirt. That shirt that he wears was so saturated with the fake blood. After drawing it by the fire, he went to go put it on. It was so solidified that it broke when he tried to put it on. So how he's covered. It was just like raw he just put on, just ripped apart there. So I talked about this. After completing the filmography or the photography of the winter of nineteen seventy nine to nineteen eighty, most the actors left production. However, there was still much of the film to be completed. The second half of the film features Bruce Campbell and various stance and for fake sinse. So there you go. It's just people that helped out to replace the actors who left. The eerie wind noise in the movie was recorded by Sam Raimi. He first heard it through his bedroom window, so that's literally just him having some audio recording device at his home with a next to his window, so that's what that is. He originally wanted to title the movie Book of the Dead, but producer Ivan Sharprough changed the title to Eel Dead for fear of the kids would be turned off by seeing a movie with literacy reference in the title, and then the last one, the film ran out of money and only half of it was completed. In the winter of nineteen eighty, in order to complete sam Raimi, Rob Tapert and Bruce Campbell did everything they did to complete it, from taking out high interest bank loans, some morning boring money from friends and family, to even making cold calls to businesses around their state of Michigan. The cold calls worked and that they actually got catering, gasoline, other necessaries for the cast and crew needed. And that's just a few of them. But like I said, that's one opposite of like the John Wick Wins, where it's just all bout the training. There is just a plethora of just notes and stuff that you could read for days. Like man, like the fact that it was it got made, got completed and actually made these guys created, like Bruce Campbell made a living out of the Samurai went Undergo Dregs, Spider Man, all this stuff, like the fact that it worked is kind of crazy. So yeah, go read that, and maybe I'm sure, there probably is some documentary, but I'd love like a full, like really big tear documentary. You don't have like me this series, but yeah, dyl Muss any final thoughts, I'm excited to see what what do you feel about too. I'm not promising it's gonna be like the the Changing of the Revolution and stuff like that, but I don't think you'll be revisiting this anytime soon.
Speaker 6: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I mean, even what you mentioned of them leaning more into the comedy, I think will actually work a lot for me, a lot more for me, and that'll fit the tone of what this thing is. So yeah, I am curious to go see more of these things. And it is kind of an interesting history lesson to go back and see the first like feature movie from from Sam Raimi, who you know, I love his superhero stuff, but never gone to see like where his roots were, especially like even yeah the Doctor Strange multiverse madness element of like the Strain, the horror elements of that, and where he came from this stuff. So yeah, I'm glad I watched this, even if I didn't really enjoy it, and hopefully I can enjoy more of the second one. An Army of Darkness and the remakes and all that stuff. So yeah, I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can cross off the list. You've seen The Evil Dead, you know, it's off the bucket list.
Speaker 7: So Kirkhampatser, Yeah, I you know, think about I don't even think I've seen Army of Darkness now that I'm I mean, i've seen the least. Yeah, I bounced on the IMDb and it just did not did not ring any bells there. I've definitely seen the first two and the remake. So this is gonna be such a fun retro to go through it, especially just like hearing Dylan's thoughts and someone that's never seen this before. It's fun to have my gosh, part of me a a companion I guess on this journey. So yeah, but for this movie, like I said, like it just has such a special place in my heart. I definitely I see the the aging of this movie and like the cheesiness that comes with it, and especially just yeah, like the tree scene. It's just it doesn't really it's not really nice to see a scene like that nowadays. But like just just for how fucked up of a situation that is. I guess it fits this fucked up movie that was made from the eighties. But I think this is gonna be one that although I don't revisit this movie like a lot, this is just, like I already mentioned, like, this is just such a household favorite amongst my family. We'll at least me and my dad will rewatch it every once in a while. I'm excited to do another Evil Dead watch along with him on that one. I think I'm gonna just have to give this movie like a ten out of ten. Honestly for me, it's yeah, it's it's just it's such a special place in my heart.
Speaker 2: I love it so much.
Speaker 7: Maybe okay, maybe it's not a perfect maybe like a nine point five now that I still want a little bit more. I'm curious how I feel about like the other ones that I haven't seen in a long time, especially like Evil, Evil of Darkness, Army of Darkness.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 7: Man, done a lot of casts today, But so yeah, I'm excited to see how those feelings hit on those other ones. But yeah, this one is just great. Nostalgic memories washed it way too young, definitely gave me some nightmares back in the day, But.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there I film.
Speaker 5: I mean really spending the last like ten minutes, you're thinking of what I would actually write this, It's it's not something like this was one that I would not go back to. Like, out of all the Evil Dead movies, I know which ones I would go back to h And so factoring that into my rating, I'd probably go maybe like a seven out of ten. And that's me being generous because I was thinking like a six to six point five. But like, there are some very cool things that I think, do you set the tone in this movie? And I will give it that seven just to kind of put it in that more positive spectrum because I think if you if you like these like og kind of or flicks, I think this is definitely something that would be up your alley then. And there's just yeah, if if you've enjoyed everything else Evil Dead, then go back and watch where it all started for sure, because there's there's a lot that they they did in this movie to make it work with limited access to resources and stuff at the time that they had.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm gonna do with Kirkland, and I'm gonna stick with my ten out of ten. I gotta drop the ten there I've again, it doesn't always come down like that's what I would critically give it, just the just the field and the gut. Watch it so many times, I have a good time with it. I I guess I don't want to say. I don't want to spoil any rankings or stuff like that. Plus I haven't seen the new movie, but uh, it sets the foundation. I like what they're going for and it's just at times a creepy, messed up movie that sticks with me, like just certain images or burned in my head. And uh yeah again with that run time too, I feel like it's the nicest snack size horror venture you just pop on if you're not watching all four. And I've done that many times where I've just watched this one. There's there's some franch whatnot where you go, I'm gonna watch them all. Many times I just watch Evil Dead one and then I'm good. I'm not not saying I don't like any of the other ones or some great stuff coming up, but lot of times I could just sold this one. But yeah, tend for me. I Uh, I love this mood. It's it's a it's a good time. Despite some some issues or some cheesiness along the way, but uh yeah, we'll be back next week with Evil Dead two, a very interesting, uh type of movie instead of what they do with this franchise, and uh yeah, pros you it'll not be boring.
Speaker 3: Really