Speaker 1: Live from the heart of the nation's capital. This is a Jim Acosta Show special report. All right, welcome to the Jim Acosta Show. It's another day that ends and why. In the Natalie Harp saga at the White House, the latest revelations include stories about the so called human printer, hopping into a trunk in a Trump motorcade if you can believe that, and leaving cringy letters behind for Trump to read. Let's discuss with historian Heather Cox Richardson and Heather, it's great to see you, Jim.
Speaker 2: It's always a pleasure. What do you think about this Natalie Harp thing.
Speaker 1: I you know, it's funny because you know I covered them during the first term, and there are lots of people who will just fall over themselves to suck up to him. And it's sort of like a you know, a cult apprentice, a game show that he runs over there at the White House. But I've never seen anybody go as Kathy Bates and misery like you know, Natalie Harp has. She has exceeded every level of cult like worship of Donald Trump, it seems to me. But I know you recently wrote about this or maybe just finished writing about this. I was begging your forgiveness before we start. I thought this is sort of a lowbrow thing for me to harp on today, no pun intent or maybe pun intended. But I do think it speaks to a lot of different things. I don't think it's lowbra. I think it speaks to A. He is somebody who has a very damaged psyche and needs constant you know, puffing up, and and B you know this is weird. I mean, I've heard of presidents having a body man or a body person. This is a this is a super fan you know who works for basically well.
Speaker 2: Maggie Haberman referred to her on a podcast as a human binkie, And I think that's not a bad way to think about her. But I'm way less interested in what's actually happening with him and her, as in it certainly seems as if he needs some kind of a minder who makes him feel comforting with and said. And she suggested that Walt Nauda, who had worked for him at mar A Lago, had a similar relationship with him, where he's comfortable with those people around him. And we know, of course that he took Natalie Harp with him when he got off the decoy plane, as well as Walt Nauda. So there's what's happening with that. But I'm way more interested in the reaction from right wing media, which went just ballistic over the story, because what John Assoff, the governor, I'm sorry, the senator from Georgia, actually said was incredibly mild and not really related to Harp at all. He said something like he golfs in trade stocks. See, he doesn't want to do the job. He wants to build his ballroom and travel with Natalie on their apparently defenseless flying palace gifted by the Emrror of Cutter. Now, the right wing turned this into a big thing about Natalie Harp and to suggest that Asoff had been sexist and suggested she was sleeping away to the top and all those sorts of things that he didn't say in that. So I read this and I looked at the reaction and said, boy, this is a group of people who is incredibly thrilled they have something to talk about that they can put at least some sort of a positive spin on for them compared to everything else that's in the news. You think that's fair.
Speaker 1: I think that's very fair. No, there's no question about it. I think they took a situation that was weird and made it weirder. And you know, as an old gop Hack told me many years ago, never let the staff be the story. And the staff is the story. And they've made her the story by the way they overreacted to not only John Ossoff, but to my former colleague Christen Holmes over at CNN, where the rapid response forty seven people over the White House absolutely crossed the line and said just absolutely horrific things, invoking Kristen's children and going after her. I just thought that was absolutely important. But you know, and I'm curious what you think about that, Heather, because you know, to me, the way they reacted over to the White House makes it more of a story, and it makes us need to cover it. You know, you're inviting the press to cover.
Speaker 2: It well, which is exactly the point. I mean, if we are talking about Natalie Harp, and I'm not suggesting we shouldn't be, and certainly what they did for the reporter Kristen Holmes is appalling as well, but that means we're not talking about the fact that the USS Abraham Lincoln couldn't be supplied because of the extraordinary Iranian attacks on the only US Navy port in the Middle East, which apparently is no longer able to function in such a way that it protects our service people. And you know, we're not talking about the fact that Trump says according to Maggie Haberman again the New York Times reporter, she says he's spending about seventy percent of his time in the midst of a war that has changed the entire world. He's spending most was time on his vanity projects in Washington.
Speaker 1: D C.
Speaker 2: That we know he's funding with taxpayer money that was originally intended to go into our national parks. You know, we're not paying attention to the fact that he's selling access to true socials so people can speculate on stocks with insider information.
Speaker 3: You know, we're not.
Speaker 2: Talking about the many ways in which the administration is simply falling apart. You know, the national debt is going over forty trillion dollars months before anyone expected it. He said he was going to lower the deficit. It's gone through the roof. I mean, that's why I say I think the White House was like, oh, thank goodness, we have something we can talk about that might draw eyeballs, because if you were working for that White House, what possible positive story can you put out there right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, there's no question about it. I mean, you know. And there's also Trump turning his back on some Korea threatening to bomb ohman. I mean, the list goes on and on, but I mean, it is. It is strange, what is And I think it speaks to the cult like nature of this White House and of the Trump team. I mean Maggie Haberman and the New York Times, and I'm gonna have Maggie on the show tomorrow. She wrote in The New York Times today about some of these weird letters that I guess she leaves behind. One of these letters says, I want things to always be right between us. I also know I've been distracted all week forgetting to eat throughout the days, and even forgetting to sleep and only catching a couple hours at a time. And then the letter concludes with all my heart Natalie. And you know, Trump has basically told the staff, according to reports, to back off that basically nobody understands him like Natalie does. The whole thing is is very strange, but you're absolutely right. I mean, it does distract the public from the other kookie things that are going on that speak to his you know, his cognitive state is mental state. I mean today he was playing tour guide around the White House. You probably were working on more important things, but he was taking reporters and so on on a tour of the new helopad that he's installed, which I don't know. I guess you could just you can just build whatever you want on the White House grounds when you're President of the United States. That's what Donald Trump is. A future presidents want to build an amusement park, they can do that. But here's Trump show on the White House grounds, showing off and talking about the stuff.
Speaker 3: He used this for a lot of different things. So this is a helipad at the highest level.
Speaker 4: It can lead any helicopter in the world, no matter how big, no matter how powerful, no matter how strong it would I was explaining for the constructed people. I was explaining how when the big, the new big Sikorski's splendid, the grass was completely wiped out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's talking about the grass. There's another sound bite. I'll play very quickly not to bore everybody to tears where he talks about he was almost philosophical about the grass and talking about how the grass has a life like a like a human being or something something a life.
Speaker 3: Like humans have a life.
Speaker 1: And this is all going to be right now, it's put in.
Speaker 4: If you come back in two weeks, three weeks, it's in shock. But you come back in two or three weeks, this has all been redone.
Speaker 1: It's all been top soiled. In other words, Now, Heather, if this was your grandfather and he was showing off like the backyard, how he redid the backyard and put in some nice plants and some hydrangeas and so on, you be like, that's nice, that's very nice. This is the president of the United States. And I guess he also worked at a plug for Scott's, which you know, I don't know if that was something that people should go and buy Scotts today, I don't know, But he does this. It's very strange.
Speaker 2: Well, so what I see, actually there is somebody who knows golf courses. I mean, actually grass is a thing on golf courses and know how to manage it is a thing. But and he's you can tell that he's comfortable when he's working on development projects, and that I'm not trying to suggest that the Natalie Harp story is not a real story. Before Natalie Harp was Laura Lumer.
Speaker 1: If you recall, he.
Speaker 2: Has people around him who give him comfortable mental space. And I actually think if you look at the White House and you look at the degree to which it really has been made over to look rather like Florida mansion, like mar A Lago, there there are very clearly ways in which he is constructing, or the people around him are constructing spaces in which he is very comfortable, but which again, he's an eighty year old man. You know, by all means it would be lovely for him to be comfortable. But he's the president of the United States of America and we're in a war in Iran up to our freaking necks. The economy is stumbling along now, you know, prices are going up. We're concerned about the cost of diesel, which cost over one hundred dollars a barrel the other day. You know, they're there. We have we have which we should never normalize, masked people on our streets who are taking our neighbors and throwing them into unmarked vehicles and taking them way and incarcerating them for long periods of time without access to the law. You know, there are many horrific things going on that require the attention of the President of the United States. And and you know, like we all have a lot of information that maybe doesn't seem useful to other people, like the life cycle of grass, for example, or I'm really really good at certain kinds of baking, but you know, that's not what our president of the United States should be occupying their time with.
Speaker 1: You're so right, and the rollback of civil liberties in this country, to me is an undercovered story. And it's not just ice. You know, there's this this flock camera controversy that I think could be a sleeper issue heading into the fall. People. I mean, there are towns and municipalities all over the United States who people are just in even maga red areas of the country, where people are so friggin pissed about these flock cameras everywhere being abused by law enforcement so on. And apparently you and depending on where you live in the country, they can just put a data center in your community and that that'll just gobble up the local resources. And Trump doesn't deal with any of that stuff. He doesn't want to. And when he is asked about he talks about he talks about how great data centers are, and it's so true.
Speaker 2: Now let's go back go to Natalie Harp for a second, because the other thing that I find really interesting about that is all the information that is leaking about yes, suggests to me there are people, and we know this that they are because of all the leaks, that there are people in the White House who are incredibly frustrated with where we with where the country is, and with where the administration is, and they're taking out their anger on each other. And that says something about what's happening in the White House. And I would point out here that for all that you and I have outlined the many ways in which we are frustrated with the administration, there are a lot of people who are increasingly speaking up and pushing back. And one of the things that has come out in the last couple of days is yet another judge demanding the release of information about the Grand jury instructions in one of the cases that the administration has brought against an opponent, which suggests that the presumption of regularity, the idea that the government can be presumed to be acting in good faith, has gone out the window, which throws everything open. And then, of course we have challenges to the Federal Communications Commission under its director Brendan Carr, so you can see that. I think this is one of the reasons that Harp has become sort of this node that even though also just referred to her, he'd rather be with Natalie. I mean that was three words basically right, that that has become sort of this tornado. I always think of it as kind of like a whirlwind dragging everything into it because it fell right into the middle of this period when the administration is trying to exercise more power, but it's clearly getting weaker and people are pushing back. And now, of course we've got different primary election returns that the Republicans really are in trouble for the midterms. So she's kind of perhaps the epicenter completely, you know, without I don't think anybody intended this when they stepped into this, but she has become the epicenter of the choppy wins that we're in right now.
Speaker 1: I agree with that she's totally a canary in the coal mine right now for Donald Trump and MAGA And you're so right. And I remember this from the first term, when the staff starts knifing each other and leaking stories. And apparently, in the case of Natalie Harp, that the revelation that she was, you know, hiding or not hiding, but jumping in the trunk or the way back of an suv and a Trump motorcate a few years ago, just so she could stay in the motorcate and stay with Donald Trump at all times. Apparently somebody showed a photograph to Kristen Holmes of CNN so she could report on them. And so if staffers are doing this to one another, it does tell you to some extent that the wheels are coming off. You've got Caroline Levitt leaving and so on. But you mentioned the primaries, and I do want to know what you think about and this was on my mind and I wanted to ask you about this. Heather down in Florida, there was a progressive candidate, I think she's been associated with the DSA. Angie Nixon, defeated alex Vinman to be the Senate candidate in the Florida Senate race down down there, we've seen some progressive and sometimes DSA candidates do well. I personally think it's a little bit overblown and it's been sort of like you know, conventional wisdom Washington group think that, oh, this is going to doom the Democrats this fall. I don't know if Florida was evergettable as a Senate pick up, you know, in terms of turning that state blue on the Senate side. But your thoughts on how these primaries are shaking out, how the midterms are shaking out.
Speaker 2: So I'm really annoying person to ask this question too, because what I see, and remember I'm a historian, I'm not a journalist, so I look for larger patterns, and what I see is that we are in a period that looks to me very much like the eighteen fifties or the eighteen nineties, or even the nineteen twenties, late nineteen twenties or early nineteen thirties, in which the vast majority of Americans are extraordinarily unhappy with where the country is right now, and they are coming together to push back against that. And what they are doing as they do that is representing, you know, almost the breaking of a dam that has been holding water behind it for many decades, more than two decades. And so one of the words that you just saw a flash up there that always makes me uncomfortable is this idea that there is the left at work here in the United States of America, because what even the people at the state level now, the National Democratic Socialists are a little bit more than that. They're a big different flavor. The people that you were talking about, like Angie Nixon, are actually embracing policies that in the nineteen fifties were Republican policies. These are not the left in the sense that political scientists understand it. The idea of destroying liberal democracy to replace it with an entirely different socialist or communist system. We just don't really have that many people in the United States and certain positions of power who embrace that. So the left doesn't really work in America the way the right does right now, When you actually have people in power who are trying to destroy liberal democracy and replace it with a form of far right authoritarianism or fascism, I mean, that's just what's happening. So what I'm seeing is all these people who are Democrats, yes, and independence and even old fashioned Republicans saying, wait a minute, we want things like healthcare and infrastructure, to protect our public lands, and to make sure we have childcare and that we have you know, we're taking care of our children, and that we have education. Those are absolutely popular opinions and positions that more than fifty percent of Americans want. So when you look at what happened in Florida, I'm seeing the same thing. Oh, you know, you can't somebody like Angie Nixon can never win in Florida. And I'm like, really, I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: Because that's what I think. I agree with you.
Speaker 2: You look at the people who back Trump in twenty sixteen, that's what they were asking for. So, you know, I get a little bit uncomfortable with the labels we're using because I think what we're seeing is a huge shakeup of both political systems and what comes out of that. I actually, if I had to take a bet, I would say, we're going to have a renewed, small D democracy to face the twenty first century and the issues we have there. But you know, I think we're going to look at We're going to see very different alignments and causes than we have in the past, like data centers like AI, like flock cameras.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: Healthcare, the things that people really care about, regardless of whether they have an R or a D or an I or something altogether different after their names.
Speaker 1: I totally agree with that. And I've been talking about this, and I think you and I have maybe touched on this a little bit here and there, and that I think there's a voter revolt that is building in this country. I think it is a reformist voter revolt. I think that it's hard to pigeonhole this or put it in put the square peg into a round hole. There are going to be some on the reformist side who are going to want to have more progressive policies pursued economically speaking, they might want medicare for all and so on. But there's also a huge swath of these voters who I think want to see democracy make a comeback in this country and that we not have a rollback of civil liberties in this country. And that is a view shared by people on left, right and center. So I think I totally agree with you. What is coming soon to a theater near you is something that the press is gonna have a really tough time covering because this is coming from the people, and the people are so I think outraged over what is happening in this country right now that you know, it might take our breath away what we see come this fall. And I totally agree with you. I know, I don't know if we did keep seeing the flat camera stuff, but I totally agree with you that Angie Nixon obviously has a chance to win this fall. I think Abdulasat is getting written off too soon. I think you could see pickups like in Ohio and Iowa and places that we just didn't even think all of that was lunacy. Seemed like lunacy maybe two years ago, and it's very real now because people are so pissed off.
Speaker 2: Well they're pissed off. And also we're looking at the fact that you got somebody like Natalie Harp advising the president of the United States, and you have a Saya in the Midwest is literally a Rhodes scholar, and you know, of the two, who would you like to have in charge of your country? And of course in that case, he would only be one member of one hundred in the Senate. But can I just push back on that, Jim, you said the media is going to have our time covering it.
Speaker 3: Literally, this is.
Speaker 2: Why we have new media. We have people like you because we're not in those old patterns and because I'm totally going to go all historical on you here. That's the same thing we saw in the eighteen fifties, eighteen nineties. In the nineteen thirties, we saw the rise of a new media to speak to these concerns that were not being covered by legacy media at the time. And that's where we got the enduring you know, newspapers that we know now, but they all you know, things like the New York Daily Tribune, the New York Times, the what was the Daily Alta, California. It becomes a major San Francisco paper. Then in the eighteen ninety it started in the eighteen fifties. In the eighteen nineties we get mclaur's magazine. So you're seeing, I think, this large societal change, and the problem is we're so involved in it that we see, oh there's the plane. Oh there's the grass. Oh there's South Korea. Oh there's Iran, And we have trouble seeing the larger sense of a real political, economic, and cultural shift because right in the middle of it.
Speaker 1: No, I so agree with you, And I remember one of our first conversations. I think you mentioned the term and independent news community, and that's what we're a part of now. And yes, we can talk about the daily distractions and we can dispense with those stories in a few minutes and then move on to the big, meaty topics, and I don't have to cut to a commercial break. We can just keep going here and talk about this stuff. And it's absolutely what people are clamoring for everywhere. People want to have these kinds of conversations because they're tired of the legacy media sort of spoon feeding them the day's headlines that are just so watered down and sinewashed that they lack any real significance anymore, and they don't really help them understand what's happening in their daily lives. So I'm right there with you.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's that's one of those things like I don't know how to do it because I'm not a policy person, but how many Americans really oppose the idea of having health care for everybody like other are?
Speaker 1: I agree with them all have it.
Speaker 2: And when people say, oh, that's you know, that's a far left position, it's like, really, if you know more than eighty percent of us thinks it's a great idea, Like that's a that's a centrist position. And what we really need to do is to remind people that the definition of the things that we want good education, clean water, save food. I mean we have safe food back on the table. It is not a far left position to say I would like to have faith that the food that is on my table is actually not going to kill me. And by the way, that's how we got the first progressive era in the early twentieth century because the fact we knew that the foods that were showing up were completely adulterated because there were no regulations. So that reworking of how we think about this moment, so we center the things that, regardless of your political affiliation, you actually want, actually is the route I think to not only a healthier country but also a new political system.
Speaker 1: No, I agree with you, and it has absolutely shaken people's confidence in this government. When you can't buy a salad without thinking twice about it, and when you hear headlines about the measles coming back. And you see RFK Junior just sounding like a total nut in the Oval office, and you know, prattling on about you know, all of his vaccine cookie vaccine conspiracy theories. Well Donald Trump naps, you know, and with the human binkie not more than a few feet away, it is. It is kind of a dog's breakfast these days. But Heather, great to see as always. Thanks for again another stellar, just wonderful conversation. Always appreciate our time together. Thanks for joining me.
Speaker 2: Always a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Jim all right, good to see it. Thank you the great Heather Cox Richardson. Always appreciate it. And she was talking about this new media infrastructure that we are seeing emerge in this country, and it's emerging because of the failures of the legacy, the name brand news media. We talked about this on this program, I don't know a gazillion times, and I've got the perfect guest to talk about this because there are new headlines on that front. And I've got Oliver. I think I have Oliver Darcy with me. If not, we'll have to have him jump back. Oliver, I think maybe you're saying you can't hear me.
Speaker 3: Oliver, I can't hear you.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's all. Get We'll get the team on it here. In just a second. Let me just have Oliver. We'll have him jump out and jump back in. Uh, and we'll get back to him in just a second.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This happens from time to time. I do. I'll move some of the stuff that I was going to talk about in the tag to now while we get Oliver ready. This sometimes happens. I do want to show this breathtaking clip from Fox News. I guess Fox had screwed up the other day and said that gas prices a year ago were four dollars and thirteen scent. Okay, No, we got Oliver back. I'll do that later. I'll do that later. Oliver, you're back. You can hear me. Okay, I can hear you.
Speaker 3: Jim, I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 1: That's okay, that's okay. Ghosts in the machine, Gremlins in the machine, thanks for joining me. I was just mentioning a few moments ago that Heather Cox Richardson and I were having this great conversation and she brought up the fact that, you know, during there are certain periods in American history where in addition to a cultural revolution or a political revolution in this country, that you sometimes had media revolutions and that we may be in the middle of one right now. And it is partly what we're doing right now, which is independent media coming to the forefront and some of this. And as I was setting you up and you couldn't hear me as I was setting this up, I was saying, part of this is because of the failures of the legacy media in this country and some of the times they've just stepped on a rake and done stupid things like pay these extortion payments to Donald Trump to settle ridiculous lawsuits and so on. And here we have some brand new examples, and you know, on that topic. But Oliver, good to see you. What do you think about that. Are we in the middle of kind of a revolution that's taking place when it comes to independent media right now?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think that you're in the middle of a revolution that is happening on or because of political pressures and media organizations failing on political pressures and technology.
Speaker 3: The way people just are able to consume contents.
Speaker 5: And you know, ten years ago, Jim, I don't know if you and I would have been able to have this conversation as easily, for sure as we are today. And I don't know if consumers would been as ready to consume this kind of content via YouTube and substack and behive and all the other platforms. But because of technology, because the legacy media has failed to stand as a bulwark against Trump's creeping authoritarianism. And then I think also just general business pressures because of the technology disrupting how people consume content and them cutting the core and these you know, maybe no longer subscribing in print newspapers, the business pressures on these companies have also accelerated. I think some of that appeasement and decline and so you're the confluence of factors has resulted in this huge revolution occurring. I think we're still in the midst of it, and I'm curious obviously where it ends.
Speaker 3: But independent media is surging as a result.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no question about it. And I think a lot of this got supercharged right at the beginning of the second term when you had ABC and CBS. There's awful, ridiculous stories of them paying these these settlements to Donald Trump, and then god knows where that money is has anybody account of that, We I don't know, but ABC being one of those companies and the and yet in the last week, Oliver, we've seen a pretty u stark shining example of ABC saying you know what, let's try something different. They are taking Donald Trump in the administration to court. They have filed a lawsuit against the SEC in an effort to block this is, according to Ruters, to block the agency's unusual early review of broadcast licenses for eight Disney owned local TV stations. And I want to talk about this because one of the things that it says in the story, Oliver, this, according to Ruters, their ABC is accusing the administration of employee pressure tactics that have forced the network to make programming compromises, such as refraining from booking political candidates on popular daytime shows like The View for fear of retaliation. That sounds an awful like I think it was. It was a James tallerco on the Late Show was Stephen Colbert where there was pressure there. It sounds like the same thing was happening at ABC.
Speaker 5: And they and they'd even talk about ABC News Jim streaming Donald Trump's unhinged, conspiratorial election security speech? Was it last month because of that pressure? And they said, because you know of the government pressure, they streamed and they ordinarily would not.
Speaker 3: Have done so.
Speaker 5: So there have been some you know that the government pressure when when you have it applied like this, it does result in editorial changes. And ABC is conceding saying, look, it has impacted our programming. I think it's I mean, I think it's really remarkable for a few reasons. But ABC and Disney are definitely taking a different tack now that Donald Trump's two years in his tenure. I wonder if they see him as a weaker politician. His approval ratings and the toilets. Clearly the midterms are coming up. He's a lamed president and he clearly doesn't have the win that is back anymore. So I wonder if that's part of the you know, the assessment as they as they kind of figure out.
Speaker 1: What to do.
Speaker 5: But also they've tried doing everything they can to appease this administration. They paid them the settlement, they produced over thirteen thousand documents Jim to the FEC as they've launched this bogus probe into their DEI practices, and they've tried cooperating and it clearly has not worked, and so now they're left with really no other choice but to file a lawsuit.
Speaker 3: And let's re see this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Oliver, the coverage you guys have been doing over at Status, we should mention the Status newsletter. It's just been absolutely terrific reporting. But you know, the thing that you mentioned there that I think was very important is that, yes, ABC maybe putting their finger the wind and saying Donald Trump, you're a lame duck president. You're not very popular anymore. Now we could be more courageous. Okay, that is that's not a great thing, So we can put that to the side. But I will say it is remarkable for ABC to have exposed this and to have admitted that this has had a result on their programming and editorial decision making. CBS has not done that. We've needed to see people like Scott Pelley and Cecilia Vega and Sharon Alfonsi. They've come out and blown the whistle Barry Wise and what they've been doing over at CBS and trying to meddle with sixty minutes to the point where I don't know, should we even have faith in what sixty minutes is going to look like this fall. I mean that that is a whole other question, but ABC just revealing this to me is.
Speaker 5: Very important, and they saided these as examples, and they are clearly other examples.
Speaker 3: I mean, Jim government pressure.
Speaker 5: When the President of the United States is saying, you know, is making brazen threats to an organization like Disney, obviously that's going to result in some editorial changes.
Speaker 3: I think you're right.
Speaker 5: I think it's actually sort of nice that they've you know, conceded that they had made these changes and are showcasing for people that Donald Trump is chilling free speech in this country. And here are a couple of examples of where it's happened in our own backyard.
Speaker 1: That's right, you know.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't think they should have ever obviously compromised, and I think it's interesting that they they're admitting that they have. But in same instance, it's kind of like, here's a couple more examples of where this has happened.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's very true, and I guess maybe this goes beyond where the reporting is right now, But I sure as hell would love to know how this has been going down, because I think this has been happening at all the networks. I think it's happened at CNN. I think it's happened where there's been this government pressure. It's been going on behind the scenes. I would love to know what the phone calls have been, like, who's been making the phone calls, who have they been talking to. Are they getting through to network top executives and then getting them on the phone, are their texts and emails? I mean, I would love to know if any of that kind of stuff exists, because you don't just all of the sudden buckle the pressure.
Speaker 5: Well, to me know, what was interesting too is the speech that ABC is saying they carried on.
Speaker 3: Their streaming platform.
Speaker 5: Yeah, according to our reporting, CBS News was not planning on carrying that on their broadcast linear channel, and they had basically come up with a plan that they were going to also stream it, and that that was something Donald Trump did not want.
Speaker 3: He wanted this to be carried on the broadcast channel.
Speaker 5: And even as recently or as late as you know, I think the speech air at nine o'clock. Tony Dakoppel signed off the CBS Evening News at seven o'clock saying, if you want to watch a speech, watch it on CBS's streaming platform. Something happened between seven and eight pm when at a PM they announced that they're going to carry it live on a special and you know, ABC is saying there was extraordinary government pressure. We never really figured out why CBS carried it, and my suspicion is that Dollar Trump probably was very unhappy when he got word that they weren't planning on carrying it, and who knows who he called, right or who his administration called. There is a lot of government pressure on these outlets, and a lot of it goes on behind the scenes, and we never hear about it, and it has.
Speaker 3: A chilling effect.
Speaker 5: And I think that's why ABC is saying in their lawsuit that if they lose this fight with the government, then you can't say we have a free press anymore, because because the free press can't be free if government is wielding its power to decide who gets to say what on the air, how they get to say it, and the overall programming. I mean, we've seen Donald Trump try censoring critics not only from news platforms but also in comedy. Right and Stephen Colbert was canceled. Very interesting cancelation there under David Ellison's tenure. Jimmy Kimmel, obviously there was the instance where Donald Trump and his allies, we're going after Jimmy Kimmel, wanting him fire, and he was briefly placed on suspension at ABC. At ABC, and so there's been all these instances and ABC is now basically saying, you know what, We're going to stand up to the school yard bully. We're not gonna try playing nice with him anymore.
Speaker 3: Hasn't worked.
Speaker 5: And if we lose this battle, it's bigger than It's much bigger than us. It's about the entire idea and concept of free speech in the United States.
Speaker 1: That is so right. And if only we had organizations in Washington, press organizations and Washington standing up for free speech and standing up for freedom of the press. We have dinners here that claim that we're standing up for free press and so on, but they're not really putting their money where their mouth is. I mean, one of the things that happened this week at our old network CNN is Kristen Holmes, the White House correspondent. She and I used to work on the campaign trail together. I think she's a good reporter, and you know, she was just doing her job the other day trying to ask Trump about you know what John Ossoff said about Natalie Harp, but about North Korea. So totally legitimate questions. I mean, these are not out of out of nowhere, left field questions, and Trump blows up, blows his top, which is not totally out of the ordinary, but for the Rapid Response Unit over at the White House, Rapid Response forty seven to put out a tweet that says, someday your children will come across your disgusting and inhumane question. They will be sick and the embarrassed to have a parent be so callous and dendictive. What did you think about this, Oliver, Because I thought it was absolutely disgusting, absolutely appalling, shameful behavior on the part of this White House.
Speaker 3: And zep Warrant.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think you're exactly right, and you know, this White House would be very angry and upset if anyone invoked any of Donald Trump's kids, you know, for the most part in something like this. First of all, her questions were totally legitimate. So the fact that they're so triggered, you know, says something. These people rant against space, safe spaces, and then they really want to safe space a little safe bubble for Donald Trump because he's so thin skinned. But the fact that the government, the United States government, we're paying these people, by the way, right, these are the people, these are public servants that we are paying with our taxpayer fund of dollars, that they're putting out statements as reprehensible as that. Going after someone's children and saying that she's a vindictive person or whatever garbage they were floating is disgusting, and I think everyone should be able to say that. And I thought it was disgusting how Donald Trump was invited to the White House Correspondence dinner and given a platform to smear reporters, and he launched another really reprehensible attack against Kayling Collins, yeah, from CNN as well, at that dinner. And I didn't hear the White House Correspondence Association say anything afterward about the attacks that Donald Trump had launched with the platform they had given him.
Speaker 1: That's right. Nothing is stacred with these people, and not even people's children. And Donald Trump goes after Hunt, used to go after Hunter Biden, all the time to the point now people want to hear what Hunter Biden has to say, so, I mean, there is that. But the other thing too is and I was looking at this, and I don't know, Oliver, if you covered this, but I've been looking from time to time at the White House Correspondence Association Twitter account and their website to see if they had put out a statement or anything. Nothing as of right now, as far as I know, you know, four forty in the afternoon here on the East Coast, Wednesday, August nineteenth, I haven't seen any kind of statement. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think that's terrible. How can you not, as an organization that represents White House journalists, not say something like we condemn the White House invoking the children of a reporter in attacking that that journalist questions. I just it's it's such weak sauce. Where are we as? I mean, I guess maybe I'm independent media now, so I shouldn't think of myself as part of that we. But I used to be part of that we, and it's just so disappointing and sad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't, I don't, I don't understand it, Jim, I mean, yeah, here. I'm I'm as mystified as you as why there aren't stronger statements when Donald Trump. I mean, he has gone after the press in such terrible ways. I mean from Miss Piggy to I mean, you just go down the list, particularly female reporters who seem to get under his skin in a particular way, and you don't see, you know, often a strong response from the White House Correspondence Association. I think they would say, you know that their job is not to constantly respond to Donald Trump's attacks, but I think these attacks across.
Speaker 3: A very big, bright red line, and.
Speaker 5: At some point, you know, you would like to see the White House Press Corps united and say something against, you know, when these are things happen on their colleagues. And I think the Pentagon Press Corps has actually done an excellent job standing together and saying, you know, we're not going to stand for this sort of thing. And they don't need to be in the in the Pentagon to do tough reporting and really eye opening reporting on what's happening in the Department of Defense with Pete haig Seth and if the worry is that the White House Press Corps is going to lose access to the White House. Do they need to necessarily be on the lawn of the White House podcasting? They can go outside those gates and broadcast right outside those gates, And I'm not sure a lot would change, you know, I don't know what value there is sitting in a press briefing when the Press Secretary is not answering questions, using the platform that she's been given to launch attacks against the media and villainize the press, and not answering any questions. It's not like Caroline Levitt was getting up there and saying, oh, you asked me this really important question on behalf of the American people, let me now provide you the transparent answer. She was saying, you are fake news? Why you should be a shamed for answering that question?
Speaker 1: Next? Right, that's right.
Speaker 3: So if you lose access to that.
Speaker 1: I don't know what are you losing access to?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm a daily punching bag.
Speaker 3: We do a lot of.
Speaker 5: Reporting on a lot of organizations. You know, right now, we're doing a lot of reporting on CBS News. I don't need to be inside CBS news halls to have conversations with sources and to break news about that organization.
Speaker 3: And so if the worry.
Speaker 5: Is that there's going to be a loss of access to the White House grounds, I understand why they want that access, But at the same time, you know, do you necessarily need it?
Speaker 1: I know, well, it feels nice to walk through those gates and have you know, the access and you know, cameras and lights and all that. People don't want to give that up. It's cushy gig and it's nice.
Speaker 5: And I meant, Baberman has done some of the best reporting on Donald Trump, and she often does it from New York City.
Speaker 1: I rarely, I mean I used to rarely see her around the White House because she she would just get in touch with the people she needed to talk to you to find out what was going on. And you do mention CBS Oliver and I mentioned it earlier. What is going to happen with CBS ultimately? I mean, it is such a poster child for everything that has gone wrong with the media in this second Trump term. And I just don't know, are we gonna should we sit around the living room and watch sixty minutes. I just feel like we're It's not sixty minutes is not going to be sixty minutes anymore, just like CBS News is not CBS News anymore. And it's it is so god awful and tragic. I've had CBS people reach out to me. I mean, I can't obviously can't reveal who they are, just like you can't reveal who you talk to. But people are just absolutely panic stricken over what is going on inside that news organization. And it's it's it's just awful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you talked about earlier why people are turning to independent media, and I think it's because the decisions being made across the across the industry.
Speaker 3: The CBS News is a.
Speaker 5: Good avatar for why people don't trust a lot of the corporate press anymore. And because they have an owner who has decided to kowtow to Trump for a larger business reason.
Speaker 3: And uh and.
Speaker 5: They've you know, I mean, made a lot of editorial decisions that run counter to what you would expect from a news organization.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: I think news organizations Jim at their cores, are supposed to hold the powerful to account. They're supposed to say, uh, speak truth to whomever, regardless of how powerful they are. They're they are supposed to shine light in dark areas. And they're not supposed to sign off the Evening News saluting you know, Marco Ribio, Right, that's not They're not supposed to do softball interviews with Donald Trump. They're not supposed to hold dinners honoring Donald Trump with their you know, with CBS News correspondence, there's a lot of things with CBS News and paramounts have done that have destroyed trust in that brand.
Speaker 3: And you know, I mean then the even Jim inviting.
Speaker 5: Pete Haigseth to sit at your table at the White House correspondent syndiom. This is a man who has said to the press, the entire press corps, including like Fox News, that they are no longer to be allowed inside the Pentagon. He expelled them from the Pentagon that used.
Speaker 1: To America hating. He says, they hate America.
Speaker 5: I mean, and you're going to invite him to your table. I don't It makes it's it's insane, It makes no sense in you you know, you talk about CBS News, I think a lot of people inside that organization it's a it's an organization with it an incredible legacy.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is where Edward R.
Speaker 5: Murrow was right, this was this is These are the people who sit up against McCarthyism. The fact that they are now taking the opposite position and turning their back on their own legacy is extremely disturbing to a lot of people who have worked at CBS News for their entire lives or decades. I mean, I mean, it's not just like people start at CBS News or sixty minutes and they worked there for a few years and going. A lot of these people have worked there their entire lives. They poured their souls into this organization. They've gone to war zones on behalf of this organization, and they really belie in the mission of not only CBS News but of the broader free press. And I think they are you know, there's a lot of people in that organization distraught about what's happening, what David Ellison wants to happen.
Speaker 3: And the same goes for CNN.
Speaker 5: A lot of people inside CNN are looking at what's happening at CSNUE. It's almost like seeing like something mutilated in front of you and you know you're next in line, and you're just watching horror. And I think that's what's happening also at CNN where they are really worried that.
Speaker 3: David Ellison is going to take control so much so Jim.
Speaker 5: We've reported that like Paula Reid, who is a chief legal affairs correspondent at CNN, she decided to not renew her contract because she in part, had a lot of worries about this deal.
Speaker 3: And David Ellison and Barry Wise and.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and David Elison is playing hardball. He's saying, if I don't get my way, we may just pull Paramount out of Los Angeles. So now we're doing hostage taking. I guess that's what's happening. He's gonna he wants to. He may go ahead and just say we're going to damage the local economy of Los Angeles. Uh, if you don't give us what we want, that's hostage taking.
Speaker 3: The California Attorney General said it's blackmail.
Speaker 1: It's blackmail.
Speaker 3: It's black one. He's not going to stand for it. We'll see what happens. Happens to have a hard.
Speaker 5: Time gym thinking they're going to close the iconic Paramount lot or the Warner Brothers lot and and move. I mean, that's going to be a hourriculum task alone and expensive one too.
Speaker 1: You have fun making movies in Austin, Texas when it's one hundred and five degrees in July, you know.
Speaker 5: Like hey, or in the South when it's swampy in the summer and it's raining. I mean that there's a reason they're in Hollywood. It's because it's actually pleasant weather year around and you can kind of shoot whenever. And also you're going to chase away talent. And there's a whole host of reasons why this business is in California and.
Speaker 3: Why every studio is there. But you know, this is this.
Speaker 1: Is where we're at.
Speaker 5: And these people, a lot of them have been empowered, uh for a number of reasons, and they've you know, not only has David Ellison given what Donald Trump wants. You know, he's he's certainly said the right things to Donald Trump, him and his father, because Donald Trump sings their praises in public all the time and his administration figures are saying we can't wait for them to take over CNN. But Donald Trump has apparently scratched their back as well. I mean, there was a report in the Wall Street Journal that the Department of Justice the career prosecutors looking at that merger had some real concerns and might have sue to stop this this merger, and they were overridden by by more senior people inside the DJ and Sidney Trump's DOJ. So you know, that's these that's kind of where we are in this country, and it's you You think that this sort of thing can't happen in the United States, but it's happening before ours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's deeply disturbing. And I think what you said earlier, Oliver is dead on it is absolutely right, and that is we don't really have a free press in this country right now as long as the government has that kind of leverage over these media companies. I mean, you mentioned the legacy of CBS. I mean David Ellison has purchased the legacy of CBS and he's sold it down the river and he's handed it over to Donald Trump. So there, I mean, in essence, the legacy of CBS is part of American television history, but it's not something that is intact right now. Something else has happened at CBS, and I think it is why you know, that is part of the reason why independent media is emerging the way it is right now, and hopefully collectively as a as a as an institution, maybe we're becoming an institution. We'll get our act together on a whole host of fronts. We'll have news gathering capabilities that maybe we don't have right now. In a couple of years from now, you are obviously doing news gathering where you are. But I do think that this, this this side of the of the of the business is going to continue to evolve in very positive ways that I think are going to be a good thing. And it goes back to what Heather was saying earlier in the earlier conversation. It's just that maybe it's sort of like that old Jurassic Park line, nature finds a way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was gonna say, the truth finds away, Jim, the truth finds away. It finds a way, And even in the most authoritarian places in the world, the truth finds away. It might it might be, might not be an easy way out, but it will, it will come out. And I think, you know, regardless of whether it's disseminated by legacy media or whether it's on YouTube, it has an impact and the stuff spreads, and you know, even with David Ellison. I think that's not normally a story that the American public would pay a lot of attention to.
Speaker 3: This is a this is a guy who should be kind of invisible, right.
Speaker 5: He's a he's the he shouldn't be He's not an actor, he's not a major star. He shouldn't be visible to the American people. People shouldn't know who Brendan Carr is.
Speaker 3: He's an FCC chair like, that's not that's not someone that's supposed to be from.
Speaker 1: We haven't cared about the SEC in like twenty years.
Speaker 5: No, But the fact that people know who these people are and they know what they're up to indicates to me that it's seeped into the public consciousness. And they can try stamping out critics all day long, and they can try censoring comedians and going after the press and filing lawsuits, but it's not going to work. And now more than ever, people are more empowered to get the truth out, get reporting out to the public.
Speaker 3: And so while it can be maybe this is a good note to.
Speaker 5: End on Jim, it can't be disheartening to see some organizations kaw taw and cave to pressure. There are a lot of other people who are refusing to do that and are finding homes in different places.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very true, very good point. And Oliver, thank you so much for joining us again against It's the Status Newsletter. If you don't have the Status Newsletter, subscribe, it's terrific. Oliver a former colleague of mind, I still feel like we are kind of like colleagues, but you're the.
Speaker 3: Found colleagues in a different sense.
Speaker 1: But yeah, in a different sense. That's right. Part of the revolution, vivl revolution. Oliver. Great to see you, man.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Jim, thank you man. Appreciate it. And I was going to stall for time when we couldn't get Oliver ready there on the spot by playing this clip on Fox News where I guess they were trying to say that the gas prices right now aren't that bad because a year ago is roughly the same price, and it was complete worship. We should play U.
Speaker 6: Yesterday we heard a graphic that showed gas prices incorrectly last year were four dollars and thirteen cents a gallon.
Speaker 3: There in fact four dollars and.
Speaker 6: Thirteen three dollars and thirteen cents a gallon. That's ninety cents more in the past year. The Trump administration says those gas prices will fall quickly once the operations in Iran end.
Speaker 1: And there's the Fox cleanup they had to clean up on Aisle sixteen hundred, where that reporter there had to come on and say, no, no, no, it wasn't four dollars and thirteen cents a year is three dollars and thirteen cents a year ago. And now you're paying about ninety cents a gallon more for your gas. You know, forgive Fox or don't forgive Fox, I should say, for trying to pull the wool over your eyes and bullshit you about the state of the economy right now. The American people know exactly what the state of the economy is right now. They know they are getting the shaft at the gas pump. They know they're getting the shaft at the grocery store. And I'm going to tell you that you may be getting the shaft in ways that you hadn't thought about in some time, depending on how this economy is managed or mismanaged by Trump and his motley crew over at the White House. I'm just gonna read this because I don't typically do this during the show. On occasion when Sam is here, He'll be like, Jim, there's breaking news, and I'll say, well, you know, maybe we talk about this, maybe we won't. I do want to mention this one piece of breaking news before we go. The US debt. This, according to the New York Times, has just came out. The US debt. The national debt has hit forty trillion dollars. Forty trillion dollars. This just happened. Happened today. Apparently this is official. This courting New York Times, America's gross national debt has topped forty trillion dollars for the first time, in an ominous milestone for an economy that sits on a shaky fiscal foundation. After decades of borrowing to pay for the rising costs of the military, social safety net programs, and Donald Trump's tax cuts. This year alone, the United States is on track to borrow more than two trillion dollars to help pay for its obligations, including spending on the war in Iran and the sweeping tax cuts that Republicans enacted in twenty twenty five. So Fox News may fuck this up and not be able to tell you what the price of gallon is, which really any competent monkey would be able to do. But at Fox, it's too challenging to tell you what the exact price of gas is at any given moment. I mean, it's astounding what they do over there. But ladies and gentlemen, I would love to know whether or not, by this time tomorrow whether Fox is going to report that the national debt has hit forty trillion dollars. Are we going to report on how Donald Trump has crashed this economy into the ground, because I mean, it seems to me that that is what's coming down the pike and he and and for folks I see Byron Donald's go on the news and try to blame the state of the economy on Joe Biden, who has been out of office for two years. Get the fuck out of here, Get the fuck out of here, Byron Donalds. Donald Trump is the one who wanted to extend his tax cuts. Donald Trump is the one who took this country into a war of choice in the middle of something he said he would never do, and then he did it. And he was so confident because of his reality TV game show magic, that he was going to get the country out of this in five or six weeks and we're still stuck in it. And all summer long, people took their family vacations, loaded the kids into the car, and got the shaft every time they went to the gas pump. And now the national debt, because we have pete hexeth over at the Pentagon, we can't manage a war, and they're scaring off all the generals and they're firing confident generals. They've screwed themselves with the war with Iran, and that's going to continue to cost us money. And so, ladies and gentlemen, the bills are starting to pile up. And for those of us who are responsible adults and grown ups and know something when it comes to managing a family budget of our own, balancing our own checkbook at home, taking care of our own fiscal affairs at home, we all know what is coming down the pike. We all know what is possibly coming down the pike. We've seen we had a financial crisis. Was it eighteen years ago? You think we're immune to that. Now when the national debt, ladies and gentlemen, h's forty trillion dollars. We need to be paying attention to a lot more than just the human printer and Donald Trump's binky over at the White House. Natalie Harp is not going to be able to leave too many personal notes behind, in personal letters behind for Donald Trump to cheer him up if he crashes this economy into into the ground, which is the way it's looking right now, and it's shaping up to be a very serious situation on the fiscal front. I saw this as Oliver and I were talking. A little thing flashed up on my screen, and you know, this is what happens, ladies, gylemen. This is what happens when you put the most incompetent people in politics in charge of very important things in American society. And I was just going to say one other, one other thing before we go, because we were we've been talking about I talked about vaccines, and we saw Ran Paul and all these people going after doctor Fauci, and you saw RFK June. You're talking about vaccines and how terrible vaccines are. This was this is another thing that happened today, and I just want to say I think that you know, we need to we might need to start trusting the scientists. I don't know, but this is new York Times, an experimental m RNA vaccine allowing people with high risk mellanoma to live longer cancer free, and a large, closely watched trial the pharmaceutical companies Maderna and Murk announced on Wednesday. For decades, cancer vaccines have been one of the most tantalizing ideas in cancer treatment, offering the hope of harnessing a person's own immune system to attack tumors. A pediatric oncologist the University of Florida says, quote, this is a big deal. The results you said could usher a whole new wave of new therapeutic treatments for cancer ladies and gentlemen. Could we be on the cusp of a cancer vaccine in this country? Do I know the answer to that question. I don't know the answer to that question. But maybe we should just stop demonizing the scientists of this country. I don't know. There's just a thought, maybe we could just stop doing that for five seconds, because perhaps human ingenuity, the wonders of science, the people who are on the case when it comes to developing these kinds of life saving vaccines, maybe we shouldn't turn them all into villains. It's just a thought before we end the show, and maybe the people who are running the government could spend more time tackling the national debt and less time demonizing people like doctor Fauci. Another thought, just another quick thought before we go. Maybe I've freaked out maggot too much today. Who knows. But I want to thank Heather Cox Richardson for joining me today for a terrific conversation. I always love when we talk about the idea of independent media and independent news community in this country. Folks, whatever you can do to support independent media in this country, you are doing the right thing. Take it from your old Palajam. You are doing the right thing. So anytime you can share this video, subscribe like it, any of those things you are supporting, you were lifting up independent media in this country. And you saw what happened on this program today. I had Heather Cox Richardson, who is one of the deans of independent media in this country. Right now on the program had Oliver Darcy, who is one of the deans when it comes to reporting on the media in this country. Both operating very successful enterprises in independent media. And so you can feel to me, it feels like the pieces of the puzzle are coming together. You could feel some just forces of the universe coming together when it comes to lifting up independent media, and if you can be a part of that, it's a great thing. Also, want to say one quick thing before we go. Our new daily newsletter is doing gangbusters. The jim a constant morning memo. If you're a paid subscriber on substack or YouTube. Yes, on YouTube, you can get the gym a constant morning memo every day coming to you. It's terrific. We're very proud of it. And we're also working on a daily video newsletter. Put that out there today. We're going to be doing more of that as the days go on here, as we get close to these midterms. We're about what seventy five days or so from the midterms this fall, seventy five seventy six days ago. It's going to be a sprint to the finish. But thanks everybody for tuning in today. Really appreciate it. Still reporting from Washington. I'm Jimmy Coste. I'll see you next time.