Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WVZ Boston's new video.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much to call. As we start off a Wednesday night, the night after the great twenty twenty four in the minds of some people presidential debate, we will we will get to that a little bit later on tonight. I promise you that we will go back to our regularly scheduled program, at least our regular format. Tonight. We're going to have four interesting topics to discuss during the eight o'clock hour. No phone calls necessary, but we will continue on as the evening goes on, and we will talk about nine to eleven. And my concern is that slowly but surely nine to eleven is receiving in our collective memory, and I think that is going to be an increasing problem for us, because again, we must never forget what happened that day, in the horror of that day. We'll talk about that at nine o'clock. We will also talk about at ten o'clock the fallout or lack of fallout from the debate. And one of the questions I want to ask tonight at ten o'clock is did anyone have their mind changed? I gave you my take on the debate last night. I thought that Vice President Harris carried the night, carried the night pretty easily. From my perspective. I thought some of the responses of former President Trump were mind boggling. The dogs and cats story out of Ohio. We'll get to all of that at ten o'clock, but we are going to do our news Update hour, and we're going to start off with a regular, a person who stops by here periodically, Massachusetts Republican State Senator Bruce TARRP Senator Tar Welcome back to night'side. How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great, Dan, Thanks, how are you good?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: I know you've been doing a lot of work up there on the beach and erosion, and I know that was a real focus through much of the summer months for you. Give me a quick update on how that all stands at this point, where what has what progress has been made, because I do believe some progress has been made.
Speaker 3: Well, we've actually made a lot of progress, Stan, and I want to express my appreciation for your helping us to get the word out about our project and what we've been trying to do. As we stand right now, we are in the final planning and permitting stages of a one point seventy five million dollar beach nourishment project, which is going to help us to elevate the profile of the dune system, create more sustainability for the beach, and help us to protect a lot of valuable natural resources and physical infrastructure like Route one A and the Great Marsh that lies behind Route one A, as well as a lot of the homes and bus businesses that are in that area. So we made tremendous progress, and thanks go to Governor Healy for stepping up to the plate and making available that one point seventy five million dollars and DCR Commissioner Brian Arrigo who has been working with us every step of the way to make that kind of progress. And Dan we're hoping to begin the project sometime in October, so it's coming up very soon.
Speaker 2: Now. Is that just one beachfront or are there more beaches that are impacted?
Speaker 3: No, Salisbury Beach is one continuous beachfront, and this will cover a lot of it, not all of it, but a lot of it, responding to the parts of the beach that are in the most serious condition.
Speaker 2: Okay, and from a time point of view, Obviously, no one knows what the weather forecast is going to be like a week from now. We see what's going on down in the Gulf Coast region tonight. You think that that you're on pretty good schedule to get this done in time at least for the winter season.
Speaker 3: Well, we certainly would have liked to have had it done sooner, but there are a lot of obstacles to that that we've had to overcome. Generally speaking, Dan, in the summer, we are in an accretive pattern where we actually gain sand, and some of that has happened over this summer. But once we get past Labor Day, we're in a vulnerable position and we begin to worry about storms like the ones that we're seeing threatening Louisiana. So obviously we need to get this done as soon as possible. But everyone's working very hard to make sure that we get the project done. And one of the important elements of it, Dan, is that we have to secure easements from a lot of the property owners because this project is truly public and private. Some of the sand is going to go on private property, some of the sand is going to go on public property. But the point is the dune straddles that property line, and to do this project right, everybody's got to work together because it's one system that we're repairing. So right now, town officials in Salisbury are working very hard to secure those easements. A lot of them have been secured, and credit goes there to the two organizations that are working with us, the Salisbury Beach Betterment Association and the Salisbury Beach Citizens for Change, who are helping to secure those easements, as well as one of the great unsung heroes in all of this effort, Adrian Marshand, who is the conservation agent for the Town of Salisbury. But this is an all hands on deck exercise, Dan, and we're pulling together and hopefully very soon we'll be moving sand on the beach.
Speaker 2: Well, it's good to know that Republicans and Democrats, everyone can work together saving a beach, saving Salisbury Beach. But in addition to that, I guess you've had some success on another issue, which is the one we really need to talk about tonight. And this is an act relative to the use of elephants, big cats, primates, giraffes, and bears in traveling exhibits and shows. This basically I think says to all of these traveling events circuses, you can come and you can put on your shows, but you can't use elephants, lions, tigers, bears, giraffes and other animals here in Massachusetts. How did this come to pass?
Speaker 3: Well, it's actually a very good news story, Dan, and that's why I was very eager to share it with you tonight, because I know about your interest animal welfare, and again you've helped us get the word out about this bill, and Massachusetts has a great legacy in terms of our animal welfare laws. I actually began working on this one with the first filing of the bill way back in twenty nineteen, and we have filed it since then. But like most pieces of legislation, Dan, we had to work through it. We had to evolve the language because we wanted to preserve the opportunity for organizations that offer permanent exhibits. A lot of the zoos, the Franklin Park Zoo, the Stone Zoo. One of the great heroes in this discussion have been the folks at Southwick Zoo, a family owned operation, who've worked very hard with us to get the language right and to make sure that we can preserve those opportunities for people to go and see these kinds of animals. But what we did want to do is prohibit traveling animal acts because there's an incredible body of evidence that when these animals that are named in the bill, and you've listed some of them, are subjected to the conditions of traveling, it's very harmful to them, both psychologically and physically. And that's why it was appropriate for Massachusetts to enact the ban. And that's exactly what happened after all these years on August ninth, when Governor Healy signed the bill.
Speaker 4: So even though you were not in formal session, I assume this means there was no objection from anyone on either side of the aisle, and that was what got this bill on the governor's desk.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a great question, Dan, and it's got a multiple part answer. So the bill actually got passed in the last day of the formal legislative session back on July thirty first, where not a lot got done on Beacon Hill, but certainly this bill did get done. But importantly, the bill received unanimous votes in the House and the Senate. And this was just another example of how we can roll up our sleeves and work together still in the Massachusetts legislature and get something done. And credit goes to all of the folks that worked on this. We had twenty four co sponsors on our bill, and the House Representative Brad Jones, the House Minority Leader, and Representative Fiola were co presenters of the House version of the bill. And in the Senate we also had a similar bill that was filed by Senator Adam Gomez from Springfield. So a lot of bipartisan interest here, Dan, and there has been historically a lot of bipartisan work on animal welfare laws in Massachusetts, and once again that by part is an effort. Delivered this bill to the Governor's desk and the governor signed it, and with that we joined at least ten other states that have enacted similar bands, and incredibly a number of municipalities. Over two hundred and thirty seven states have enacted these kind of bands, and in Massachusetts just a couple of them are Topsfield and Wilmington and others as well. So, Dan, this is an idea that I think has benefited from broad consensus, and once again we were able to get it to the governor's desk and now it's the law and the commonwealth.
Speaker 2: Well that sounds great. Congratulations to you, Senator. I know oftentimes things don't go smoothly up on Beacon Hill, but this is one that has gone smoothly on Beacon Hill. And it looks as if Salsbury Beach, through your efforts in the office of a lot of other people up there I have banned together and maybe that Beach is going to avoid what could have been a disastrous result if nothing had been done in a timely fashion. So thanks so much for being available late at night or you know, for late at night for folks like you who get up early in the morning and work up on Beacon Hill or in the district. Congratulations and let's have more of it here in Massachusetts. Thanks so much, Senator.
Speaker 3: Thanks Dan, look very much forward to more of this. And just credit to a couple of people, my chiefest deputy chief of staff and legal counsel her ark Shaw, who really led the effort on this on our staff, and also Diane Sullivan, a mutual friend of ours, who helped to get it done. And look forward to talking about more of these kind of collaborative efforts.
Speaker 2: The Great Diane Sullivan the assistant dean at the Massachusetts School of Law and the founder of the Shadow Fund, which is the official charity of Nightside and a charity that provides veternaric here to people who cannot afford it. And it's all through her efforts. We do nothing other than publicize it and maybe make some contributions along the way. So Diane Sullivan is, as far as I'm concerned, an absolute saint. I really mean that, and you know exactly what I mean. She's a wonderful you being. Thanks Bruce. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Okay, Thanks, Dan, have a great night.
Speaker 2: You bet you you too, and we come back on and talk about baseball road trips. No, not the Red Sox road trips, but road trips that more and more people are taking who are baseball fans to see other venues, other ballparks around the country. The Complete Guide to all the Ballparks with beer bites and sights nearby. Author Timothy Malcolm will join us on the other side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: I'm delighted to welcome our next guest, Timothy Malcolm. He's a baseball writer and a podcaster, and he loves the game of baseball, and he's a Philadelphia guy, so we can't hold that against him. But he's written a book, Baseball Road Trips, The Complete Guy to All the Ballparks with beer bites and sides and sites nearby. Timothy Malcolm, Welcome to Nightside. How are you, sir?
Speaker 5: I'm great, Dan, Thanks, And you know Boston's and my Boston's, my old stomping grounds. They used to go to school in Boston. So where'd you go?
Speaker 2: Where? Where'd you go to? Where were you bu?
Speaker 5: I was there two thousand and two to two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: Well, you're a young guy. I graduated from law school there back in the last century, so the twentieth century, the last century. So yeah, George Sherman Union, I'm sure you had some of the delicious meals there, as I did many many years ago. Well, so, so, how many I assume you've hit all thirty two major League ballparks?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I've been to every major League ballpark, Yes I have.
Speaker 2: And so how did when did when did this this journey? This this is almost like a religious experience for people like you and me who love baseball. Uh, when did this religious experience begin for you. What did you say, I'm going to see them all? And it is thirty two if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 5: Correct, So it's thirty. It's thirty thirty.
Speaker 2: You're right, it's thirty two NFL Stadium. Okay, five thirty, you're right. So when did you When did you start? I mean, obviously you must have must you must have gone, I assume as a kid to the Vet when that when that ballpark was open in Philadelphia, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that that was my childhood ballpark. The Vet.
Speaker 2: You never you never at your age, you never saw a shy park or anything like that. I know that.
Speaker 5: So unfortunately, no, yeah, well maybe fortunately, but the Vet, you know, concrete, doughnut hold multiple Oh yeah, purfect. I That's where I grew up. And you know, I didn't realize until it was a little bit older and I saw a kid that ballparks were better than the Vet. And I actually my dad owned a T shirt with Fenway Park on it. It was a Fenway Park T shirt and I, when I was a kid, used to see that shirt all the time and I loved it so much, and I kept saying, I need to get there, I need to get there, and I would draw Fenway Park from that shirt over and over again, and so I finally got the opportunity to go around nineteen ninety nine was my first time there, and I was like a little kid in the candy store. I just I freaked out. And that was kind of the moment that I realized, Man, I want to see more of these ballparks. I really want to start going on these journeys. And one day if I can get to All thirty, amazing, But you know, I just want to see as many as I can. And so that's how the love of it developed. And then along the way I was able to get the opportunity to write this book. But Fenway was really the beginning of my journey. I like, Fenway is my favorite park in the world, so.
Speaker 2: Well many of us in Boston is our famous park as well a favorite ballpark as well. So did start geographically and stick in the East Coast? Tell us how how you came to hit All thirty.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so early on, you know, it was East Coast art so I Fenway, and then Baltimore, the New York parks and all of that whatever was you know, close enough to home and at one point I was an adult, I was able to take two weeks off and I did the huge road trip where I went from Philadelphia to New York. I assumed me I lived in New York and down to Philadelphia, and then I went all the way across to Denver, along the way, hitting Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and I got to Denver, saw game of Corpfield, and I came back around to Saint Louis, Cincinnati, Kansas City, and that was a big trip that kind of got a lot of the knockout. And then when I finally got this book deal several years ago, the first edition, I started to okay, I got to get to all these other parks, and I did a trip to Florida, did Miami in Tampa, went to Arizona knocked down out, went to California, and did La San Diego, Anaheim. So I started to do them in batches, sort of in that kind of road trip style that is in the book.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you I've gone to a lot of them over the years. Haven't been to everyone. I've been to a lot that now are gone. The Twins Metrodome, I went to the Ranger, Rangers Ballpark, which was in Arlington, Texas a long long time ago. Kimiski Park, Uh, you know, Three River Stadium, the Vet in Philadelphia, up in Montreal where the where the Expos play. So I've been to a lot of these, all old old barns, but I just think it's I think it's it's mind. Uh, it's so important to just experience this if you had the time and the ability. Okay, real quickly, give us your top five other than fen the old Yankee Stadium. I'm sure you're not old enough to remember the old Yankee Stadium. It's kind of similar to the.
Speaker 5: You what, I went to the old Yankee Citium in nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 2: That was okay, Okay, you're just a kid. That's good. So give us your top five currently, your top five other than uh, you know, then the Philly the Philadelphia or or or or Boston Family Park.
Speaker 5: Sure, so Pecto Park in San Diego, I think is the best park that I've been to over a.
Speaker 2: Great, great, great district in the the gas Like district, Beautiful.
Speaker 5: Bull Also, Camden Yards is just such an iconic park and and that was one of the first that I went to, and that was that's a beauty that still holds up today, both both.
Speaker 2: Of them, which were built by the Lake Great Larry and Janet Maurice Smith.
Speaker 5: That's right, that's right, that's right, Yeah, Rust and Piece Larry Lucino Target Field in Minneapolis. I recently got there and I was I was floored how much they have and how accessible and affordable it is, and how friendly it is for families and things like that.
Speaker 2: Really, the people in Minnesota are the friendliest people in the world, you know that, Right's I'm from Minnesota and I'm a very friendly person, you know that.
Speaker 5: Well, that's why I said it. Yeah, who else?
Speaker 2: It'd be two more, And I'm going to ask you one that one that you haven't mentioned yet.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, sure, Oracle Park in San Francisco, which is just incredible. Everybody's got to get there at some point in their lives.
Speaker 2: Been there.
Speaker 5: And Wrigley Field in Chicago all that was it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have you got to mention Wrigley Field absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So okay, So the book.
Speaker 5: Is now out right, Yes, it's out in stores everywhere, online, anywhere you can find books, you can find it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So for any baseball fan in your family, This is a great book. I'm sure you can get it through Amazon. Baseball Road Trips, The Complete Guide to all the ballparks with beer bites and sites nearby. Okay, real quickly, which ballpark has the best hot dog in your opinion? Hot dog in your opinion?
Speaker 5: Chicago's Wrigley Field. The Chicago Dog danced tall above everything else? I'm sorry, right.
Speaker 2: Fair enough? Okay? Which which ballpark has the the least expensive the most reasonable if you want to have a beer? I'm not advocating drink here, but if you're going to go to a ball game, you gotta have a dog and a beer. So what ballpark had the maybe the least expensive and the most expensive for an equivalent amount of beer.
Speaker 5: Least expensive Progressive Field in Cleveland, the Jake, and then the most expensive. San Francisco's got expensive ones, Dodger Stadium and Yankee Stadium. The three of them are kind of around the same.
Speaker 2: Are they up? Have they gone past the ten dollars a beer barrier in those three ballparks? Oh?
Speaker 5: Are you kidding either? Their past seventeen eighteen dollars a day?
Speaker 2: Oh? Oh, I'm dating myself here. Oh that's horrible. Oh, how many of the parks that you went to out of the thirty did you take advantage of a tour At Fenway Park, you got to take the tour, you get to go inside the Monster and all of that. What are there several any of any tours that you would recommend, you know, inside these ballparks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I haven't done a ton of the tours, but I'll tell you that the Yankees actually have a very good tour at their stadium. I mean it's obviously the Yankees. The Cardinals have a really good tour and a great Hall of Fame museum, maybe the best one at all Baseball's really cool. I would also recommend I would recommend the Giants. The Giants have a really good tour at Oracle. Uh and that goes through all the history as well. I mean that's part of it is if they have a really long history, you know, they take you through and they show you trophies and things like that. That's really cool.
Speaker 2: Okay. One final question. Okay, if I say to you, Mahaffey, Simmons and Bunning, it's not it's not a law firm. Who were they?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well they're well they are Philly Grets is what they are. I mean, Hirt Simmons, is it out out? Mahaffey and Jim Bunning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I be halfy and Jim Bunny. Absolutely a great pitching rotation that in nineteen sixty four just came up short. That was one of those years that Phillies fans try to repress. So I didn't mean to stir the memory, but I just wanted to make sure you really were a Phillies fan, even in the years before your birth.
Speaker 5: Okay, oh no, certainly I look paint all the time. But this year might be a little different, hopefully for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, this could be the you never know. You never know. You got a general manager down there that did it in Boston, Dobrowski, so maybe maybe magic will strike again. Really enjoyed it, Timothy, Thank you very much. Baseball Road Trips by Timothy Malcolm. It's a great gift, by the way, over the holiday season to bring to any baseball fan, if you're going to someone's home for you know, for Thanksgiving or they celebrate Christmas or or whatever holiday they might celebrate. If they're a baseball fan, it is universal and it is a gift that that people will enjoy reading and they'll enjoy taking it to different ballparks with them. Timothy Malcolm, thanks so much again. Baseball road Trips by Timothy Malcolm. We'll talk again, my friend.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, thank you, Dan, have a good one.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. Okay, we get back when we talk about the fact that supposedly two out of five forty of gen Z workers are willing to quit their jobs their job over political differences with their boss. WHOA, I'll tell you, I don't get that, but that's okay. We'll see. We'll talk with Attorney Haavi at Perez about that phenomenon right after the news here at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, this one kind of stuns me. Of gen Z workers are willing to quit their job over political differences with their boss with us, as attorney Javi at Perez, he's been with us before. Welcome back, Attorney Perez. How are you tonight?
Speaker 6: Doing well? Thanks for having me now, jen Z.
Speaker 2: Folks, if I recall correctly, are people who started to committo this world nineteen ninety six? Is that? Am I correct? They're like after the millennials or or before the millennials. Help me out with that.
Speaker 6: That's right, they're post millennial, and I think there is an endpoint to that range. And now like my son is Jen halfa or something like that about gen that's so specifically it's confusing.
Speaker 2: It is so confusing. So essentially, these are folks who are relatively new of the workforce. So they go from I guess as young as age eighteen and some of them could be as old as thirty thirty two, thirty four.
Speaker 5: Correct, that's right.
Speaker 2: Okay, so who figured out that they wanted to run some sort of how do we know? It's forty percent of them are willing to quit their job because they have some sort of a disagreement. When they say, when you say the ball, does that mean the personal supervisor or do they mean the big company that they work for?
Speaker 6: You know, I don't. I don't think the survey specified, but kind of from what we've seen, it could be either it could be someone that they see every day, or it could be kind of you know, my corporate overlords have different political meanings than me.
Speaker 2: Shockingly, so is this normal? I mean, forty percent seems to be a little a little out there. I realized that We're in a time where we're a very sharply divided nation and you're either blue or red and never the Twains show meet, and people don't date. You know, they don't. If you're blue, you don't date people who are red. And if you're read, you you know you hear all of this, which is crazy. But to quit your job, that's pretty drastic, isn't it.
Speaker 6: I agree? And I think this is the flip side of at will employment, which is, you know, where employers can let people go for any reason or no reason. So long as there's not any legal reason, employees can leave for any reason or no reason. I think kind of the generational shift is the willingness to do so well.
Speaker 2: Employees could could theoretically also do that. I mean unless you were, you know, a major league face of pope. I mean you could leave, but then you'd be enjoyed from from from you know, working for another team. So, uh, we understand that. But to leave your job, I mean, is the job market that good right now where you can be so confident that you you call your boss or you walk in some Friday morning and see you have a nice weekend. I'm not coming back Monday morning over political differences.
Speaker 6: Right, right? No, I mean it really is wild because it's sort of the to prioritize something like that when you know you've got bills to pay, you got mouse to feed. It's kind of hard to comprehend how you would prioritize something like a political opinion. But for some reason, this generation, I guess, is not afraid to kind of roll the dice and kind of see what comes next.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, what about I'm going to run a theory ABOUTE and that is, if these are younger people eighteen to thirty two or whatever however we would define gen Z, most of them probably are not. Maybe they're not in what they're they're thinking of as their career. Maybe they're working as a wait staff person, and they figure, Hey, if I lose my job here at Starbucks, I can go get my job up the street at Duncan Donuts. Does that factor into this? Obviously, it's easy to be brave and blow you your job up when you're twenty five or twenty eight, a little easier than when you're forty eight or fifty eight and you're married and you have kids.
Speaker 6: That's right, that's right. I think there is some kind of like the mobility among maybe service industry or other jobs where there is a lot of turnover already, maybe there's more freedom there. But I also think where people are considering, you know, how it's used to be done, or supposed to be done, or however you want to say, that is, if you're unhappy, you find the next wrung on the ladder before you let go of this one, right, you wouldn't just leave kind of without the next the next step in place. And I think that that is a difference now that we're seeing.
Speaker 2: Well, they always used to say that the best time to find another job is when you have a job, right right, Uh, And it's just to just to jump out the window and not knowing whether or not there's something there that's going to catch you when you jump out the window that could be dangerous. Is there a factor here that we're talking about the kids who grew up and everybody got a trophy and no one got criticized. Is there a little bit of that game it mixed in here?
Speaker 6: Do you think you know? I mean, I think that you could frame it that way. I think I've heard someone say that every older generation thinks the next generation is entitled. So I don't know if I could, if I could kind of, you know, just from that bandwagon completely. But I do think there is sort of, you know, expectations now of the workplace that are higher than they used to be, right, Like I expect, you know, for the for the employer to work around me and not the other way around, and use.
Speaker 2: I'm going to use the word the expectations are unrealistic. M little little you know. You say they're higher. I say they're that this company now functions around me because I have deigned to take some employment with them. I guess I don't know.
Speaker 6: Right, You're lucky, You're lucky enough that I'm here. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, if you're a major league pitcher and you're twenty three years old and you can throw the ball one hundred and four miles an hour and you've got a breaking ball that you know drops twelve inches vertically, yeah, we can probably say that, but not too many of us are in that position. Attorney Perez, always great to talk with. You always bring different and interesting topics to the table here on Nightside. I appreciate it so much.
Speaker 6: Good talking with you too. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Thank you much appreciate it. When we get back, we're going to talk about something that all of us should celebrate today, and that is the American Red Cross continue the tradition at Fenway Park of having a day of remembrance, a day of remembrance blood drive at Fenway Park, obviously in recognition and in remembrance of what happened twenty three years ago this day on nine to eleven, two thousand and one. We're going to be talking with Jeff Hall, communications manager of the American Red Cross and see how they did at Fenway Park today. We will talk at nine o'clock about the twenty third anniversary of nine to eleven, and I fear that many of us are allowing it to sort of slip a little deeper into our memory bank on an everyday basis. We'll talk about that right after this break. We'll be talked with Jeff Hall. Coming right back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Sight Studios on WBZ News Radio today.
Speaker 2: Of course, it is a sad day. It's the twenty third anniversary of nine to eleven, a day that will live an infamy for Boston with two of the planes that crashed into the World Trade Center, taking with them the lives of all on board, and ultimately a day in which upwards of three thousand Americans families lost a loved one that day. We're going to talk about this more in the nine o'clock hour, but this day has been remembered at Fenway Park for many years with a Red Cross blood drive with Me's Jeff Hall. He's the communications manager of the American Red Cross here in Greater Boston, probably for New England as far as I guess, Jeff, I'm not sure how far your responsibility spread, but how many years have has the Red Cross been doing this drive in remembrance of nine to eleven.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So we partnered up with the Red Sox in two thousand and two. You know, like minds came together and thought, this is a perfect way to try to, you know, bring the community of Boston together, show them that there's something, you know, every citizen can do for an hour on nine to eleven to commemorate the people that we have lost. And so we've been doing that for the last twenty three years. We hope to continue it for the next for the next coming years. They're Fenily Park they've been the Red Sox have been just a great partner, and it's just it's been a very successful blood drive year over here.
Speaker 2: So how many donors came to Fenway today to make a gift of life donation.
Speaker 7: We had more than two hundred donors come today up to up to the five to twenty one overlook at Fenway Park. You know, they all had their own stories. Some people. I met a first time blood donor who actually worked at Stenway Park as a ticket seller today. You know, she'd seen it year over year, and you know, everything just aligned and she got an email from her boss, you know, if they if she had an hour to go up and take it and and give blood if she wanted to. So she was really happy to do that. It was nice just chatting with her. We had no veterans and people that's had children in the military and just thought would be a great way to honor their children in the war, in the in the work that they do by coming together here in Boston and just doing something of service on.
Speaker 2: Nine to eleven, Jeff, I know that every year this day is important, but in fact, three hundred and sixty five days a year are important. How is the blood supply. At this point, I realized that that people who didn't get to go to Fenway Park today, if they'd like to make a donation, you know, a blood donation, they can go to any of a number of the Red Cross offices in the next tomorrow, over the weekend or whatever it can be. Uh, it can be equally valuable. How do we stand with with blood supply at this time of year here in New England? And I'm assuming it is New England we're talking about them, or I might be mistaken. Is it just Greater Boston or do you folks are you responsible for more than just Greater Boston.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're Red Cross blood all across all across New England, you know named Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut.
Speaker 5: We have in debt.
Speaker 7: Them is our is our biomedical processing facility where we receive the donations, They undergo testing and then they're turned into various products that hospitals use. And you know, we're coming out of a very challenging summer. Uh, you know, heat across high heat across the country. Uh, severe weather, they'll impact blood drives in local areas. So we were on what we call an emergency appeal all summer, and that's where we ask people maybe if you've never donated, or if they missed their last donations, to come on out and make a donation. So we're at a stable point across the United States right now. But you know, blood is like blood is like the milk and your refrigerator. It just doesn't it can't last in there for more than a week or so. So it's blood is something that doesn't sit on a shelf. It's when it's donated, it's it's processed, and it immediately goes out for you. So we just need constant blood donors so that we can keep that blood on the shelf for when hospitals and cancer treatment centers need it.
Speaker 2: Now, is it is it's more for people to call in a dance and make sure that they, you know, get prepped for it in terms of what they can eat the day before or what they can't eat the day before. Are there do you advise people just show up at a Red Cross center and and explain that you'd like to give blood. What's what's the better procedure from your perspective.
Speaker 7: You know, we ask people to make an appointment. It's the fastest way and the best way to have a good donor experience, and so you're not waiting around. You can do that by logging on to redcrossblood dot org. You just type in your zip code and it will bring up the nearest blood drives on the dates around where you currently live. Generally speaking, though, if you are feeling well, you are you can go in and make a donation. You know, we asked if you have fever or you're not feeling well, like under the weather or have the flu, that you'd want to reschedule your appointment. But generally, if you're feeling good and you know, people have a lot of misconceptions about different types of medications that most medications that you're on, you can still donate blood.
Speaker 2: Excellent, excellent, And the experience from the time you walk in the door until the time you walk out probably about an hour, is that it It.
Speaker 7: Takes, yeah, it takes about an hour. We do we do a brief health screening, just ask you a few questions, ask you how you're feeling, and take your blood pressure. So if you've never had your blood pressure taken in the last few years, it's a good place to get that checked up. On and Yeah, if you scream through and they you start the whole blood donation process, which is kind of like an IV in the middle part of your arm, and that takes about, you know, about ten minutes. That's probably the quickest part of the whole procedure. And you know, once they once you're you're done donating, you they have you line in the bed for a unit, make sure you're fully recovered. Then we ask for people to hang out for about ten minutes, kind to drink, have a snack, just to make sure they're fully feeling okay, and then there and then you're on your way. If you have an appointment, you're generally out the door in about sixty minutes.
Speaker 2: Sounds great. Well, look, congratulations on today. I hope that the two hundred donations today met or exceeded your expectations and that people are still cognizant that today is a day that we should all keep in the back of our mind throughout the year, but particularly on nine to eleven.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was a wonderful day. Ten way, we want to thank the Red Sox for all the support of the annual blood driving Yeah, it was a great day. I think we met our goal for the day, which was two hundred and thirty is what we were hoping to get in the door. And we'll have final numbers a little later tomorrow, but we I know we got more than two hundred donors in the door today. That was just fantastic.
Speaker 2: Sounds great. Thanks Jeff in the Red Sox are winning tonight, so it's been a good day all around the All right, thanks say to our friend Kelly Eisner, and we will talk again Jeff Hall of the American Red Cross here in New England. Really important for us, all of us to periodically donate some blood. We'll be back right after the nine o'clock news and we are going to talk about nine to eleven. I'd love to talk about your experience with nine to eleven. Lock to love to talk about whether or not some of you might not have even been either alive or have specific recall of nine to eleven. I know where I was that day. Love to talk with you about it. Coming back right after the nine o'clock news here on Night Side