Speaker 1: No kind of a welcome back to another episode of Reconnected here tonight with mister John Daily. John is a dear friend of mine and colleague who works together with a lot of Terrovision stuff behind the scenes with me. So we're gonna talking about a lot of that tonight. But John, it's been a while, welcome back.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me back on. Ryan very much happy with you.
Speaker 1: You've been a little nervous, how come we wanted to get you back.
Speaker 2: Kind of scary going on live, but.
Speaker 1: You know you've gotten over it, and I'm glad. We're gonna talk about some of the things that you've been doing behind the scenes to help you get over the nerves there. So, uh, first off, what's been going on. It's been like a year, and I mean you've grown a lot in the last year since the last time you were here.
Speaker 2: First of all, well, thank you. Yeah, No, I feel like that I was just getting fired up back then, ye. And yeah, since then, I've done a ton of random odds and ends for Terror Vision, including trailers and interviews and all this stuff, and with them we kind of just kind of just just started going steady for real, yeah, which has been very cool and yeah, uh, I have. What else have I done? I've met a lot of really cool people over the last year. You loan me your bestie who I found out lives like twenty minutes away, doctor Royll, which is very cool and it's very cool too, just you know, have a dude who you just don't have to explain any of this stuff too. He's already there. You can say this this thing and he's like yeah, and You're like, I know, you know what I mean. It's great.
Speaker 1: This is uh, this is true. Will kind of knows at least a little bit about everything, which is always nice.
Speaker 2: He does, he does. Yeah, what else have I been up to? I've also been doing a bunch of another hookup from you actually, been doing a bunch of work on social media and behind the scenes at Brother Belile.
Speaker 1: Which shut out Brother Belile. Everybody go in Earmark that to go after the show and pre order any titles you get your eyes on.
Speaker 2: He there's a ton of new pre orders up today and I feel like because of my work with him, with Dustin who owns Brother Belile, I feel like, without looking maybe I know what's what's in store for us tonight.
Speaker 1: I love that You've gotten multiple covids of the chat about your background, and right before we went on, you asked how it looked and I said, very Wes Anderson, I love it.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the room where I process all the sleeves, so I think it's a good counterweight.
Speaker 1: It's a nice bell do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sometimes when if like I hand something into at least once I handed something into Brad at Terror Vision and was like it was just it was way too joyous and happy and he's like, this isn't like our what are you doing? And I'm like, he's like, it's because you're in that room, man.
Speaker 1: Well, before we get into some of the usual stuff, we've brought up a couple of titles and tear Vision and one of the things that I have been I don't know, proud is a weird word to say here, but very excited and genuinely proud to see you grow in some things. And you're you're like full on producing releases now and a lot of people aren't going to see that name associated with a lot of it. But for example, the Shoe String Slasher's box Set, one of the three titles which I know a lot of people are excited about Basement Jack because that's getting a bit of an upgrade. That's probably the most popular of the three titles, but the one that has really been the most under the radars Phantom Brother, and you have owned that title. I mean you moderated commentaries, did interviews, did a whole bunch of stuff to immerse yourself in the casting crew, and you created a hell of a disc.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. I'm very extremely proud and grateful to Brad for kind of tossing me that. I guess maybe it was like tossing me a softball. Here you go, see if you can and do this. But so it's the first disc I've ever produced. Everything on yeah, and edited and a lot of random stuff, And I really couldn't have been luckier in terms of just like meeting the nicest possible people, Like the guy John Gigante, who is the star of Phantom Brother is like just when I met him, he looked like he wanted to give me a hug right then and there, and on the way out he did, and he just like he just like became a friend and like hours and he's just he's awesome. I hope I get to hang with him spend more time with him and talk to him very interesting stuff, and he actually ended up helping me find a couple other people, including his because he's friends. He made friends on this set with this dude, Rob Kotch, who is a guy I was looking for because his you look him up on IMDb in his first movie's Phantom Brother.
Speaker 1: But like.
Speaker 2: The whole like he's got this huge list and you're like, Okay, you worked on sling Blade, Okay, he worked on Hackers, and you also worked on Franken Hooker. And when I interviewed him, I think he had just wrapped I think Highest to Lowest by Spike Lee. I think that's what the he said, it was something with Spike Lee, so I'm assuming it's it's that. So, yeah, that was very cool. Just met some really cool guys, and I think it's cool that, you know, in a way, kind of got to do They just trust terror Vision. Brad and Ryan just trusted me to just kind of do whatever I want. And I am really really proud of how the interviews came out and just really excited to take an interest in these dudes and their story, like about the movie itself, but also like what came from it. Like these guys have been best friends for like forty years because of it, Like no matter what, like they think the movies, Like everyone thinks the movie is kind of goofy because it's just kind of a goofy movie.
Speaker 1: But right, you realize everybody from the Terror Vision Discord is going to go crazy because you just said the words a goofy movie, right, Yeah, yes, during this show, I have a feeling that that is going to pop up, say kind of confirmed.
Speaker 2: Anyways, I don't know, I don't know why I was thinking of that movie.
Speaker 1: Anyways, Phantom Brother isn't the only only thing in the last year that you've worked on. You got to meet the daughter Vincent Price.
Speaker 2: That was very very cool. Victoria Price is very cool and brought the doctor along with me for that trip. Unfortunately, I gave him and his whole family COVID, which I had never had, and it was like, we're like four years in and I wasn't expecting to get COVID, but I didn't.
Speaker 1: Give it to her, thank goodness.
Speaker 2: And that was that was really really cool. And yeah, like the cool thing about that too was it was four It was for two releases for BFI one was The Oblong Box, which Will and I had watched the night before and we were, I think the whole group of three like, yeah, the Oblong Box. I mean it's it's good, but it's like it's notable for things like he's in it with Christopher Lee, right, and it's like, you know, it's pretty good. But the showstopper is Cooking price Wise, and she was very very excited to talk about Vincent Price's cooking show, and I was just blown away that. I was like, I'm like, how did I How did I get here? How am I working on this? And I would highly recommend that to everyone who's region free because it's just a.
Speaker 1: Like super super charming and it's super rare that we would even get a release of something like that. So it's definitely one of those that I pre ordered immediately on Brother Belile because I was like, you know, I think that I'm gonna have to get this one because I want to be able to show that stuff like this deserves to be support and I don't do that for a lot of stuff, but that felt like one of those things that needed it, So yeah, happy to have that. Yeah. Other than that, I forgot to remind you or ask if you wanted to do this, but you got something else coming up with Doctor Will. You want to promote that you guys are going to be there at all?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would love to do that. So when is it? It is in Raleigh, North Carolina on I think it's May twenty I should know this. It's May twenty third through twenty fifth. Will and I are going to be doing a split label table for terror Vision and Severn at Carolina Fearfest.
Speaker 1: The twenty third through the twenty fifth.
Speaker 2: Thank you. And yeah, I don't think either of us have. I certainly have never done one of those before. I'm not sure if Will has. I don't think he has.
Speaker 1: I don't think he is. No, So yeah, we're just gonna But I mean, this is super cool, Like people can go buy Severn stuff by terror Vision, stuff from Doctor Will and John Daly in person, take some photos like I wish I was I wish I was closer. Man, This sounds like so much fun.
Speaker 2: Me too, that would be amazing. And yeah, there's gonna be a couple I know that.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Really, Tiffany sheppis speaking of Basement Jack, She's gonna be Thereracy Lord's Tracy Lord's is gonna be there, so we'll definitely have copies of Skinner for sale.
Speaker 1: From Bill Moseley is gonna be there. I think he is.
Speaker 2: He actually, I just saw on Instagram today he posted his genes that he had wore in Texas chains on Massacre too. If you've never seen like hippie flower patches on them.
Speaker 1: Malcolm McDowell's going to be there. That's a huge name.
Speaker 2: I would very much. Let Yeah, I don't know, I've never like I've I've never met anybody in that kind of a situation. Do you ever go to those?
Speaker 1: I've gone to three or four. But the crazy thing, all of them have been in like the last six years. So I've done Texas Freight Mare, I've done the one here in Kansas City called Crypticon. I did uh Monster Palooza in Pasadena. I think I've done one more. But yeah, they're they're they're a good time. They've gotten very packed. It's it is a very like conventions used to be the nichest of niche and the super nerds would go, and now it is just the most mainstream crowd type of thing and everybody goes and that's that's fine, nothing wrong with that. It's just the prices of skyrocketed which makes it a little rough, and it's it's kind of a zoo getting around some of those places. Uh so yeah, it'd be it'd be.
Speaker 2: To do you get an autograph or you do you have any that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: I've got a handful, but not really any from conventions. I I don't really I'm not super into that. I don't value that. I guess i'd more like I'm super into pictures and just being able to say, like, man, I actually spent a moment of this person's life with them, and that's cool to me.
Speaker 2: Actually, the other thing, because it's especially if we go I don't know what time is. I don't know what time this strain, I don't know what time this train gets to the station. But uh, tomorrow is doctor Well's birthday.
Speaker 1: It is we uh will not be singing, Well, I won't be singing. You can sing if you want to.
Speaker 2: I think we got everybody can sing sing from.
Speaker 1: Home, but uh all in sync?
Speaker 2: Yes, And actually we're going to because he's all I want to talk about. Apparently, it's it's a it's a special week and he's such a special guy. We're He was like he had tickets to Gang of Four, their last tour ever, playing the album Entertainment in full, which is amazing. And it took me a minute to like even like process. I was like, wait a minute, that that's what's happening. Because he's like, oh, but Fabio Frizzy. I don't know if I'm saying that or if it's Freezy or something like that. It's like that, Yeah, who does the score for Zombie and collaborated with Luccio Fulci over like the course of twenty five years is playing in town on the same night. Ooh. And Will's like I think I have to go to that. I'm like okay, And then I looked and I was like, dude, he's playing in Charlotte the night before and he's playing in Asheville the night before that. Like actually it's like Orbit DVD X Fabio Fritzy.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So I was like, do you want to just go on Saturday?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And so we're gonna go on Saturday and then we're gonna go to Ganga four and so that he can go see Gang of and then I can then go see a Gang of four two excellent, which is going to be very very cool. But yeah, we're as he said, we're either we're testing the bonds. We're either going to be burnt to a crisp or inseparable. So yep, we'll see big summer, Big summer.
Speaker 1: AD big summer, big summer for lots of reasons. Lots of good movies about to be dropping in the theaters, lots of physical media about to release, and speaking of that, probably time to get into some recent watches and pickups. I know you've got a hell of a stack. You want to talk about what you've been picking up?
Speaker 2: Sure, I've been talking a lot. Do you want to do yours first?
Speaker 1: Or do you sure? I'll do mine. I really only have three this week, but they are three that are kind of huge for me. I'm really excited about all three of these. So first, I know a lot of people have seen this already, but the Beyond special edition that just came out like this is by far the nicest thing that Grindhouse Releasing has ever done. And I'm sure that you've heard that many many times, but a debossed cover on this little digipak that they did six disc release is insanity and as somebody that loves you know, folgy, like we were just talking about this is this is how you treat the Maestro and I am I am stoked to be able to have something like this. Oh look who's here, Dustin's here, says I don't really go to cons for signatures either, but one of my favorite pieces is the zombie steel loook from Arro signed by Ian McCulloch. He was stoked because he's featured in the artwork, has never seen it. That's awesome. That would be a rad piece to have this one. I actually kind of these next too. I kind of felt the same way that I did for the Cooking with Price release. You don't really see a lot of these releases. So when Arrow came out and announced a v Cinema box set, you know, Brad on the last episode of the two Avision podcast talked about if something doesn't do well the first time for some companies, that's the only chance it's going to get and I want to see more of these types of films get released, and so because of that, this is like one of the few big releases that in these last like seven months, I went, you know, I gotta get this box set because I want to make sure that more stuff like this gets empowered to come out from some of these labels. So the VS In box set is incredible. And then I don't remember what sale it was because it came like three weeks after I bought it, but I saw that this had come out recently and then went up for sale fairly quickly, and I had to support this with my money because this series is incredible documentary now is one of the funny shows of all time, and I never expected it to get a full series Blu ray set. I had to be able to get it because TV on Blu rays get more and more rare, and I I have never not loved an episode of that show. So I'm glad to glad to be able to have it and just willing, willing to share the word that everybody should own that thing because it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Very very cool. I see my palate Odie is here in the chat. Hey, Odie. Odie helped me uh with second cam on those Phantom brother nice interviews, so they can vouch we met the two nicest dudes. Yeah, Well, are you ready? I've got a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: I'll take a break.
Speaker 2: What makes the What makes the beyond? Wait? Are you do you have more stuff?
Speaker 1: No? Go ahead, I was like, I'll just sit back and watch you for the next fifture.
Speaker 2: Okay, what makes the beyond? Six discs?
Speaker 1: By the way, Well, they've got the original cut, they've got that new Freeze cut with the the or the composer's cut is what they're calling it, because it's a brand new score. They've got the original Aquarius DVD version, They've got a Blu ray release of the brand new cut of the original cut. And that's already what five discs, and then I believe the soundtrack is the sixth one.
Speaker 2: Nice. I do really enjoy getting a soundtrack, to be honest, Yeah, me too. I'm glad Terror Vision has been doing that more with like I'm Dancer Die Is I think going to make If you're into the whole thing, you're gonna be like this actually might be the best part is that soundtrack.
Speaker 1: That movie required the soundtrack to come out with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like Sonic the Hedgehog two music. It's it's good. It's really good Vegas style. What do I have? I have so much stuff? Let's start. I did this last time too, let's start with the public library. I've got a great public library.
Speaker 1: Shout out libraries again.
Speaker 2: My library has also just started doing a lot more Blu rays. I haven't watched all these yet, but I did. I'm excited to watch Memoir of a Snail on the blue ray from the library. What else we got? Let's go through this fast we got I haven't watched yet, sing saying another Blu.
Speaker 1: Ray, Still haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: The library is the coolest, this is new, this is hot off the press.
Speaker 1: Good movie.
Speaker 2: And then the one that we finally did watch, Robin and I watch the other night, is Heretic.
Speaker 1: What did you think of that one?
Speaker 2: I thought it was great. Did you enjoy it?
Speaker 1: I really really liked it until like that second act where they go through the doors. Essentially everything up to the doors I thought was incredible, and then everything after that just sort of lost its power with me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it kept me going the whole time. But I was like hypnotized by by Hugh Grant.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, he made an incredible villain.
Speaker 2: And he even does a jar Jar Binks impression that was kind of unexpected.
Speaker 1: As George r being suppression of the year by far.
Speaker 2: Definitely but yeah, if he'd, like if he had won an Oscar for that, I'd be like, yeah, that makes sense. It was argued, let's see, all right, first we got the the latest brother Belile Hall got these all from there. Obviously, been really enjoying russ Meyer movies. I have not watched Motorcycle yet, but I did watch Up the other night. I don't know if you've ever seen have you ever seen this?
Speaker 1: I don't think I've seen Up yet.
Speaker 2: No, I we'll talk. It's it's great, It's incredible. I think russ Meyer just like does such an amazing job of like figuring out, like what do you need for a movie? Like how do we fill this movie with stuff? Where like nothing has to like it does connect in a weird way, but like he's just like has the pace imagery thing down, and he's incredible. This I actually watched last night for the first time.
Speaker 1: Nice and I actually really enjoyed.
Speaker 2: I heard that some people weren't that crazy about it.
Speaker 1: I was middle of the road. I kind of want to see it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought it was a lot of fun. I mean, obviously like Pearl to obviously, but Pearl to me is the like, you know, the top of that series because.
Speaker 1: It's the high bar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, just because she's just like a total maniac in that.
Speaker 1: I loved. Dyl Dl says, if we're talking rus Meyer, I'm right on time.
Speaker 2: Perfect This I haven't watched yet because I've been like, I want to be fully awake and aware. I don't kind of don't want to watch it at night. And the trailer I love. I don't know who does the trailers for Radiance, but they're fantastic and this was one of their best trailers. And I haven't watched a lot from this this director, but yeah, like crazy Lady Golf movie where people are like bleeding down there, Putters is like, don't take that out of context.
Speaker 1: And also shout out Sam from last week. He did the cover art on that release.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought. That's really really cool. Yeah, it's gorgeous art. And then last one I got from brother Belia our old friend Godzilla, which I have not watched this one yet, but I like, I like the sound of biolante or biolante, Yeah, and I'm excited to hear that was another thing that happened. I met Sam Degan, which was very cool. Again through Will Dodson.
Speaker 1: Had to get it yet another shout out.
Speaker 2: Who through his teaching at unc G and a grant, which I'm glad that grants are still a thing.
Speaker 1: For now for now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really cool. And then he did a screening too, so watched a deaf crocodile movie in the theater on the big screen. We watched zero grad which was a wild choice. And there were there was like the usual heads that you'd expect to like those are my my nerdy movie people, and then there was a lot of just Russians there just speaking in Russian who were laughing at things that I didn't I didn't get, but it was really cool. It was very cool, very nice. Other than that, I I don't even have to go through rally's. But since you were talking about there's just so many since you were talking about Grindhouse, and I picked this up because also from brother Bolile. I picked this up because of you know, when Sean you had Sean Baker just Sean Baker, no big deal on your on your show and he mentioned this. I was like, this hadn't really registered to me necessarily what it was, and this like I might talk about this in the second half of the show. This movie blew me away, and it comes with a soundtrack that is like so much, so much of the movie being that good is this incredible score. I keep forgetting who did it because it's oh, Basil Polidorus, who He's on a ton of stuff.
Speaker 1: But I feel like, if I remember right, I think he's done like five or six really well known movies, but I can't think of any offhand.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is like, yeah, I think very very early of his And the last thing we can quickly go through. I got a keynot haul and I think actually I might have shared with you via text the receipt because it was so ridiculous. But uh, yeah no, when you got yeah this one to rewatch bedtime for Bonzo, we did. My wife, Robin really enjoys action movies, so I was like, it's like, it's stupid. You're like I got through this one, Like it's like, why do you get all these movies, dude? And it's just like I got this one for you, but you watch this. This is like have you seen this in a long time or seen it?
Speaker 1: I don't know that I've ever seen it. I've been trying to reach back to my memories. I can't place it at all.
Speaker 2: This is a very, very silly Toimmily Jones performance. It's like I think he must have played two face, Like somebody saw this and we're like, you should be two face also.
Speaker 1: And pretty good.
Speaker 2: I was excited because it's by the director of Predator two, which is just like, I think that might be my favorite Alien or Predator movie. I'll start the controversy now Predator two is the one, But yeah, what else can you say about this? It's good, it's not it holds up all right. Speed came out the same year I like Diehard with a Vengeance. It's kind of like right in between those, so I can see it's like right in that crack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Terry says, the whole tone of that movie is hysterical. Yeah, I don't think I've seen it. I got to get there.
Speaker 2: But the rest, what have we got? We'll just go through real quick. Can't stop the music.
Speaker 1: Nice Lee Gammon commentary on that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, yeah, I don't want to talk about what the fate of these people, what's going It's all happened to them staying alive, which I watched for the first time, which kind of same story there but directed by Stallone. I cannot imagine that people were ready for this much Frank Stallone on the soundtrack in the movie. But and it's kind of also like, you know how in First Blood to First Blood Part two, how much Stallone's body changes. That's how much Travolta's body changed between between those two. What else? Haven't watched this?
Speaker 1: To Live and Die in La It's a beautiful four K.
Speaker 2: And Goodbye I have seen I just had to have Gloria by John Cassavetti's and has anybody? Has anybody seen My Gal by Douglas Sir? I feel pretty good that I, like believe it or not knowing nothing about me. That's like actually the least random stack of movies I've ever bought from Keno.
Speaker 1: Laura ber Like.
Speaker 2: I feel like almost every other order has like one at least one movie where like when you get it, you're like, what is this? Does that happen to you?
Speaker 1: Yes? I think I've slowed down on that front because I realized that what is this doesn't get put into the player as much. But the sad thing is, I think when I'm done with those, I think those watches are more gratifying almost because you're like, now I know that that like itch in the back of your brain is now scratched because you know what it's like to watch I don't know, like a French remake of a nineties comedy in the US or something like that, and the French one is better or something. So, yeah, there's a lot that can happen in the keynot catalog alone. When they put out that many movies, there's a lot of randomness.
Speaker 2: There, absolutely is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh, all right, any anything else you want to cover.
Speaker 2: Well, one other thing that I might talk about there too that I actually picked up I don't even own. I don't even own a record player, but I did buy a vinyl to be supportive of an artist, and that is Daughter of Swords. This is their new album Alex and I've been listening to this album in other formats NonStop.
Speaker 1: That looks huge. It doesn't even look like a regular vinyl. It looks huge next to you. Okay, that's that's a little more realistic. Okay, it was just where it was. Yeah, Okay. Recent watches, Uh, we're gonna talk about one of my two recent watches that I was able to put time into this week that I can talk about after the announcements tonight. So I wanted to lead in with that and say, our discussion tonight, we're gonna be talking about things that are creative influences on film and inspirations that filmmakers get from some of those, with one title in particular that we're gonna give like a real deep dive into, and then probably gonna mention quite a few other things associated with that, so be prepared for that. It is. It's got a boutique physical release. We're gonna we're gonna go in depth on all of that. But the other thing I watched this week, just like many of you I'm sure sinners, saw it in Imax last Friday, and uh, this is one of the only movies where I was very worried it was gonna be overhyped, and I walked out feeling like it was still better than that hype led me to believe it is by far, for me, the best film I've seen this year, five out of five. I think that one of the more important things that hasn't gotten enough attention since this came out, which is hilarious because it's essentially a musical in the way that they treat a few of the songs. I think that we have seen time and time again over the last I don't know eight years at this point or nine or whatever. He's done a handful of things, but the absolute artistry and craft that is in this score is incredible, and Gorenson is cementing himself as like one of the best composers of modern cinema, and I well, shouting from the rooftops. I think this movie is Ryan Coogler's most realized project. I think it is easily his best. It's Michael B. Jordan's best performance he's ever done. Loved the cast, loved everything about it. I had very few things that I would have changed.
Speaker 2: I'm super excited to see it.
Speaker 1: Craig says, my desire to see it went from ten to six with it's a musical comment. It is, but it isn't. I only say that because music is a part of the story, because they're making a place to create music and spend time together as a community. It's not like a diegetic musical or anything like that. They're not singing the plot lines. The music itself just plays a huge portion of the film, so it's not a musical in the classic sense.
Speaker 2: You know what's crazy, I haven't seen I haven't seen the movie yet, that's not crazy, but I haven't seen any promotion for it. Like I actually haven't seen a frame of the movie, which I'm really glad for because I even as somebody who is like makes trailers all the time, I'm like, I love going in cold.
Speaker 1: Like that is genuinely impressed that you have not seen anything, because I feel like the marketing has been everywhere.
Speaker 2: I also haven't been to the theater yeah, in like a month or two, though I did get and it's stupid because I got an AMC A list thing. So I'm basically just spending money to not go.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now my palfodis like said that, like the new late fees is just not using your subscriptions and just having them. That's the new version of that. And so I'm basically just paying late fees to AMC, which is fine because I even though they're AMC like, I still like I want them to be there. And one many of them have closed, and one close to me that if it was still open, I would have gone this month because it's closer to the stuff I like.
Speaker 1: But what One of the secret things you can do is if you're not gonna be able to go this week and you know that, just reserve tickets anyway to make it look like one of your favorite filmmakers is getting more tickets sold.
Speaker 2: That's true, But I think if you don't, if they don't scan.
Speaker 1: It, they don't. Now there's nothing to prove it. I don't know, I don't know. All right, what have you been watching? Let's cover that.
Speaker 2: What have I been watching? Well, I mean kind of like this whole year, I have been trying to watch as much physical media as possible. Like at the beginning of the year, I was like, if I'm going to get a subscription to Vinegar Syndrome again, And you know, I'm sure you've covered all the time about how what their sales have done to Basically it's like I didn't want to buy anything for what could end up being a little more actually upfront, if I wasn't going to watch it like in a timely manner. Yeah, and I'm already buried, of course by the Vinegar Syndrome pile even without like this month, this month, I you know, I picked up a few like you know, Last Tango and drop Zone and that and that stuff. But like, yes, I've just been trying to watch as much physical media as possible. Like I said, Heretic and Maxine this week, I wonder I've been also trying to keep better score on Letterbox, but.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna see Sinners soon. Let me let me look.
Speaker 1: Enough for you. I do good.
Speaker 2: It's always kind of like it's like being old, or if it's just like audiences, like it's it's loud to like I saw Oppenheimer and Imax and it was like it was a little bit a little bit much.
Speaker 1: I get that while you're looking, I guess I can share. Uh I over On the Modo Macabre podcast episode that just came out this week, we talked about these two films, Cafe Flesh and Bohachi Bushido, and of the two, like Cafe Flesh, I'm glad that I've seen it now. I am not super into what he was doing on that film, definitely more of a Doctor Caligari fan. But Hachi Bushido, man is that was the first time I was able to see it, and that movie is incredible. Like from the opening shot of that movie, I knew that I was going to be in for a visual feast, and then the story itself is wild. I joked about this on the podcast, but one of the things that amazed me on that film is there is a like immeasurable amount of nudity in Bohachi Bushido. There is so many nibbles, lots and lots of bare asses, but they pull off some of the best, like random maneuvers to hy genitals to make it so you never see anything between somebody's legs. And then in other scenes they're literally just like showing somebody walking and covering it with their arms and the most awkward of you would never walk like that in your life. It's it is so so funny the way they do that. But again like genuine talent on some of the scenes where he's moved this way and put your leg up like this and we'll never see anything. It's amazing.
Speaker 2: What's the name of that one?
Speaker 1: That one is Bohachi Bushido Code of the Forgotten eight. This is the recent four K and the back of the slip cover is very true to this movie. There is a lot of like cutting off limbs and great great violence, very like over the top blood. It's it's pretty great, well worth checking it out, all right, anything else from Letterbox you want to shout out?
Speaker 2: You know, I looked. I think I talked about a lot of them because they're in this in the Stack. Really enjoyed a Real Pain, which I got out of the library. Good movie, and but I was enjoyed. It was I mean, it was super messed up. I mean, obviously its like vinegar syndrome, but like Brimstone in Treacle, was very interesting. It was cool. Did you watch it? Have you seen it?
Speaker 1: Not yet? It is on my list for soon, especially after last week talking with Sam and he did the art for that one too, I'm like, yeah, this is one that I've been I've been dying to see. It's just so much work right now.
Speaker 2: It's been crazy, understandable, understandable. Yeah, I just I got a kick out of it. I thought that, you know, it's it's basically it's like sting being kind of Malcolm mcdowelly yea. And but also there's some like pretty cool like original music in there by the Police, which is just really cool. Yeah, but makes sense why it's like totally makes sense why it's like buried and nobody's ever heard of it. And maybe they should have just kept it buried, but whatever, it was.
Speaker 1: All right. If that is it again after the announcements, make sure you have to stay hang out. We're gonna be talking about like creative influences. It's gonna be a really fun discussion this week. So yeah, let's get into it. This week started off odd Keino. It is the first announcement we got over on Saturday. We went nothing last Friday. Saturday, they announced that we're getting a Blu ray soon of May Race He's read from nineteen sixty three. This is gonna be a Blu Ray release of a four K restoration that was put out by Studio Canal. This is continuing a long line of releases they've done of some of the make Gray stuff, so nice to see them continue on that front. Then the next day, I, for some reason, I didn't even know this existed. There is a TV movie from nineteen seventy seven that is another anthology called Dead of Night. The one of the older horror anthologies from forty one or something like that is Dead of Night. And then this came out and it's got some names in it like Ed Begley Junior. I have never seen this one. But man, this will be pretty damn cool to see. I love that they're still putting money into TV movies on Blu Ray. Not a lot of companies have been able to broach past that corridor, so it's nice to see them trying still and directed by Dan Curtis. That's a big deal for a lot of people. But the first pretty major announcement for the week we talked about new Wave video. This is a new boutique label that is coming out of Australia, ran by John Matthew's friend of the channel who's been on here multiple times before. They announced that they're putting out a Blu Ray of Strange Circus from two thousand and five. And the big, the big association with this is this is a she on Sono title, and Sono just a couple of years ago, was Me Too Little Bit was was kind of canceled in the mainstream by a lot of people. In fact, Third Window had announced that they were going to be working on some of his films and then as soon as that happened, canceled all of them and ate the costs. Uh. This is one of those titles that a lot of people had wanted I have never seen this one. In fact, I'm not even sure if I've seen a Shue on Sono film at all now that i'm thinking about it. But they did announce that they do have new extras with Sono and and posted some pictures of them with him in person in Japan. So if you were into that, this is gonna be pretty cool for you. Yeah, any any thoughts on that?
Speaker 2: Do I have any note? This train? This train's moving, I know I will. I love the first time I went on this and I didn't really know you. It's like that we're in a different mode now. If you are, you're gonna like your eyes are going to be different, like when we were like okay, it's over and we're gonna talk and you become a different person again. But right now, it's let's go all right.
Speaker 1: If we're coming up to a station, let me know and I'll be glad to pump our racks. I am so glad that I was able to post about this. I know this helped a lot of people. But Hal Hartley did another fifty percent off sale in all of his box sets. The Long Island Trilogy on Blu Ray is now officially sold out. The Henry Fool Trilogy is officially sold out. Neither one of those are going to be reissued on Blu Ray. This is the best time to buy any of his films. However, the Henry Fool Trilogy and the Long Island Trilogy, I think both of them are still available on DVD, so if you want those, you can still get them, just not in HD. Now that's not saying that somebody else couldn't put these out eventually, but at the moment, at least Hall has had the rights to all of the films and there is no plans to put those out again. So this sale is going until April twenty fourth at midnight Eastern, which means you've got like an hour and forty five minutes left if you want to pick any of these up, So go ahead and open another tab while you listen to this. You can go check that out now. It is literally hellhartley dot com, fairly cheap, good, good shipping. It's literally the best place to get these films.
Speaker 2: It'd be crazy if everybody left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, literally zero viewers immediately and everything on his website sold out. Next April twenty second, Breaking Glass Pictures, which I believe is like just a really small distributor that's popped up there, working directly with one of the studios. Lost on a mountain in Maine from last year, getting a blu ray literally two days ago. Now, this is the inspiring true story of twelve year old Don Fendler, who separated from his family by a fast moving storm, must fight to stay alive while lost for nine days in the remote wilderness of northern main Don's disappearance captures national headlines and sparks a massive search effort, a track hundreds of volunteers, including his own father who fears him and never see his son again. This sounds like an interesting.
Speaker 2: Watch at least thelone baby.
Speaker 1: Just a producer Sinners already available to pick up in a four K steal book. In the US, the cover art seems to be not making people happy on this one. I believe it's The UK release is definitely a more like striking picture. I'm not sure what is going on. I'm not against this. I don't think it's a terrible cover. It's obviously depicting one of the most pivotal scenes of the film, but this film is a lot more than just somebody standing in front of a door, so I certainly would have been happier with another cover. I don't hate it though. Good movie. Blue Underground is having a sale hosted on MVD site and oldies dot Com, one of the same MVD and Oldies. It's ran by the same people, so don't worry about that. Same prices and same shipping and all that. You get up to seventy five percent off list prices on almost everything that is going on through April twenty seventh. Some of the titles are limited, so make sure you go check that out if you are into it quicker because it could absolutely sell out Blue Underground.
Speaker 2: You got much from them, I don't think I do. I'm like, what's there? What's there? Like I feel like I see all the time. But I also like I feel like I confuse it in my head with Synapse for whatever reason. I don't know if it's the font or a similar right kind of curation.
Speaker 1: But they've they've got Zombie ful Chue Zombie. They've got House by the Cemetery, They've got.
Speaker 2: Your Okay, you know it's terrible. Is I have to see I don't know if I've seen zombie And we're gonna go to this thing. I know that the zombie. I've seen the Zombie Fighter Shark because.
Speaker 1: You know, big deal. Yeah it's a zombie fighting a shark.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like movies, so I need to know that. But yeah, I haven't seen a ton of I haven't seen a ton of Faulgy. So that's why I'm always saying, like the every time Vinegar Syndrome puts up forgotten g Ali, I'm like, oh, slow down, Like I don't I neither remembered first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's important. Zombie four k's is one of the best four k's you can watch picture quality of standing, says Kergan. Honestly, it's a really great four K. It looks genuinely way better than I ever expected. I've seen that movie so many times, but it still gets me. There's a couple of scenes from that movie specifically, I've talked about on here how I really hate I Trauma scenes, and that movie is one of the best like tension moments for I Trauma, And it's so good, so good. All right. Next up, we have Dazzler Media over in the UK on July fourteenth, putting out a four K and blu ray of Mussolini, son of the Century from last year. This is I believe a mini series that aired on Sky. And I've heard that this is both a masterpiece and boring beyond belief, So take that as you will.
Speaker 2: When I see the name Joe Wright, I'm like, I'm gonna have to hear I'm gonna have to hear not boring. I think boring. I'm sorry, but it's like, yeah.
Speaker 1: I understand. July first, Mill Creek in the US putting out a blu ray of Ultraman USA aka Ultraman. The Adventure begins from all the way back in nineteen eighty seven. Heard this is one of the better Ultraman's. Actually, they've got high quality on most of their other Ultraman releases. I'm sure this is going to look incredible, all right, This one is rather interesting. May fourth, there is a blu ray coming in the US here from new Bootique, New boutique blu ray label named BT Releasing, which stands for Bizarre Theater Releasing. And this is White Gardinia's John Calvin from twenty twenty five. And essentially, this is an anthology film with a shit ton of excerpts from just random directors thrown together and one name alone. We'll tell you what this is going to be, featuring works by the first name Marian Dora. If you are somebody that is into the heavy brutal like unearthed films, wouldn't even touch some of this with a ten foot poll. This is what that type of thing is going to be. So this is the underground of underground and Mary and Dora certainly has a reputation to.
Speaker 2: Up pold Man. Have you guys, have you read Handheld Hell by Justin Burning.
Speaker 1: I've not finished it, but I've read some of it.
Speaker 2: One thing that I really enjoy I enjoyed that book very much. I think you can probably still get it through Terror Vision. One thing I really appreciated about that book is he watches a lot of movies that I will never watch, like some unearthed stuff, because I'm just it's just not like I just don't want to go there. But he writes about it in a way like where it's you can you can learn all you need to know. I think you know all you need to know about it and get the gist and know where it fits into history of shot on video stuff. So if you don't like watching those movies, but you're you want to you know, still be able to understand it. Keep up at the water cooler where people talk about on Earth films, you should read hand held.
Speaker 1: I want to I've got water cooler where they're talking about sv movies. Right June ninth, the UK is getting a Blu ray release of The League of Gentlemen, the Complete Collection Complete in parentheses, released by the BBC. This is missing some of their live stuff that they have put out in the last couple of years. It's also missing I believe a couple like one off specials that they did. But this is a British classic. Many people will cite this as their favorite British comedy series of all time. Terry talks movies. Wants to know what time is it here? It's lunchtime here in Melbourne. Definitely not lunchtime. It is almost ten thirty PM where John is and it's almost nine thirty here where I am crazy late night. Yes, local Blu rays for local people, says Terry. That is an in joke for everybody that has seen this show. Yeah, can't wait to see possibly getting this looks like it's pretty solid release. It's got the Christmas specials. Got to check this out because it is rather funny from what I've seen of it. Hell of a Summer is getting a Blu ray release from DCAL on July eighth. This is the movie that was done by Finn Wolfhart and I think it's Billy Brick is his last name. This just played here at Panicfest in Kansas City. I unfortunately missed the premiere. I really wanted to see this. It's gotten okay reviews. I think this one was held for a couple of years. This was supposed to be about literally like two years ago, and it's just now coming out For some reason, something happened. But yeah, gonna be lots of stuff on the disc. Looks like a pretty good release, and I know a lot of people that have really enjoyed this, so check it out if you want. Next up, we're gonna talk about two of these releases, and this first one I saw much earlier than I found the second one, So we're gonna talk about one and then something else. First June seventeenth, we are getting two two steal books of Jurassic Park trilogies. This first one here is the Jurassic World trilogy. This is the second triplet of films that we got out of this. These are all the ones from twenty fifteen to twenty twenty two. I actually kind of dig the art on the cover of this. I know a lot of people aren't super happy, but it's nice of these coming out. You got a four k all is stored in a steel book. Everything on their own disc looks like a solid release in my mind. Are you a Jurassic Park boy, Joan.
Speaker 2: Boi, Yes, I mean the of course, I mean Jurassic Park. Yes, they This whole new new one doesn't do too much for me, even though I kind of try to if I'm gonna watch certain movies, like pretend that it's like it's twenty five years later already, and be like if it was twenty five years from now and I was feeling like, oh those are the good old days. Yeah, you know, do a lip a future nostalgia. I try to do that, but.
Speaker 1: Uh, remembering peak Chris Pratt, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean I kind of liked how absolutely stupid the third one was with the locusts.
Speaker 1: I love that you say that, as multiple people are commenting it in the chata.
Speaker 2: Well, I think they're saying, yeah, Jurassic Park three, Jurassic World three, it's very it's so silly.
Speaker 1: Anyways, Uh yeah, this is pretty cool. We'll talk about Jurassic Park more in just a moment, though. So random. Lions Gate releasing an Amazon exclusive four K Steele Book of Air America. This is the Mel Gibson film from nineteen ninety with Robert Downey Jr. This just recently, I think it was last year, got a four K release in the UK from Studio Canal. Lionsgate has the release rights here, not a lions Gate limited release, but it is an Amazon exclusive. That's really what I want to know is what are they doing to choose what is a lions Gate limited title and what is an Amazon exclusive or not even an Amazon exclusive. We're just gonna release it widely. So maybe because Mel Gibson's in this one. I'm not sure. I've never seen this at all.
Speaker 2: I've not seen it do that.
Speaker 1: I'm not surprised. Jurassic Park though. This is the trilogy steel book of the first three films, also coming out the same day as that Steel Book that we were just talking about. These are nineteen ninety three to two thousand and one, of course, and the big thing here we are getting new releases of these. So the first one has added Dolby Vision now, and the rumor is that it got a new scan because the first one I believe, had like some pretty rough DNR applied to it, and it looked extra smooth on the previous four K release, So the suppose these are going to look quite a bit better. I'm not sure offhand if Part two and Part three had Dolby Vision before, but now they all will. So I mean to me, like, if you don't have the movies, this looks like the perfect time to get these. And I love these movies.
Speaker 2: Me too. I can't believe that they're like, I know, again late late to the party. But like when movies get smoothed out and look weird, why like why is that even a thing, and why is it do people do it with like like mega expensive classics. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: That's a good question. But I sadly, I think the reality is that stuff like overly processed YouTube shit has kind of molded some minds to think that it's better because it's smoother.
Speaker 2: You know what it is too, it's TV TV presets that no one people didn't have their relatives come over and change for them and They're just like, that's what it looks like. Maybe that's it.
Speaker 1: There'll be in our thoughts on prayers.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: The Fallout Show is getting a physical release on July eighth here in the US. It is going to get a four K steel book, a standard Blu ray, and a of course DVD release still in twenty twenty five. Got a hell of a lot of special features on this, so that's pretty nice, decent looking steel book. I've not watched the show, but I've heard that people, even people that played the game, seem to love this one. So I'm glad this is getting released because it is Warner Brothers and MGM working together on It was a co production, so that to me is at least something to be happy with that streaming stuff is getting releases.
Speaker 2: I agree with that.
Speaker 1: Keena Lober on June twenty fourth is putting out Rustler's Rhapsody from nineteen eighty five. This is a comedy western starring the one and only Tom Behringer. We got a new audio commentary with the Heath Holland from over at Cereal at Midnight and he is working on that one with Max Allen Collins, the author of Road to Perdition, but I've never seen this.
Speaker 2: I got my pal Odie who was in the chat earlier. I feel like if we were born whatever year, we would have to be to like exist when this is in theaters. It's the kind of shit if I was like, Hey, why do we see Rustler's Rhap City with me today? They'd be like, yeah, definitely, that seems like exactly the kind of show we would watch.
Speaker 1: In fact, makes sense. Going to our next one keto, we had talked about the Peacemaker when this got announced. This is getting its four K release on June twenty fourth, and this is gonna have a new audio commentary Steve Mitchell and Nathaniel Thompson. Also another new audio commentary with Lawrence Lherman. This is going to have a four K, brand new scan para. I did this, and I'm sure this is gonna look pretty good. It's got a bunch of the old features that were on the older releases. And I again I still don't remember if I've seen this one, but I need to see this one. Nicole Kidman George Clooney in nineteen ninety seven. That sounds like a fun watch.
Speaker 2: Seems like, you know, if your Dad walked by the TV and it was on. He'd sit down. Kind of a thing, kind of a movie.
Speaker 1: He's got to watch the rest now, all right? Next up? Oh gosh, So make Flicks taking advantage of the Wicked propaganda from the last year, they are putting out a Blu ray in the US here of Wicked Witches double feature. This will have sexual Witchcraft and Bewitched Housewives from twenty eleven in two thousand and seven, this ze Bab says, speaking of Dad's walking by here. Yeah, this is a pretty common softcore type thing for make Flix to be putting out. Yeah, it's just a movie with boobs.
Speaker 2: Reminds me of some of Jim Wayeorski's.
Speaker 1: The One and Only. Uh. This pissed off a lot of people this week when I posted this, and I love that.
Speaker 2: Why get upset by this?
Speaker 1: Curl curls, pearls are hard to clutch. Uh. If you still want to go over to make Flix and you're not into the breastploitation category, they're also putting out The Devil's Hacksaw. This is gonna come out as a mod Blu ray now available. This is a twenty twenty five film. It is a brutal tale of survival where no one is safe from the wrath of a mind driven to the brink, fully gutted with bonus features. What are they? Who knows because they didn't tell us? Doesn't this look like a masterpiece?
Speaker 2: I like I like it. I think he's cute.
Speaker 1: I'm not against it. I'd watch it maybe. Speaking a lions Gate Limited, I just mentioned those just a moment ago when we were talking about Old Milly Gibson. June third. They are releasing over only on the Lionsgate Limited site, a four K and Blu ray release of Freaky Tales. This one also just played at Panicfest and I also missed this one. I really wish I didn't because I wanted to see it. This is starring Pedro Pascal, Ben Mendelssohn, Jay Ellis, and Tom Hanks and some other names that you're gonna recognize. This is all coming in a retro nineteen eighties themed VHS package exclusive to the site. There is gonna be an audio commentary with the writers, directors, some actors. There's a handful of featurettes and a trailer. I like that they did a release like this for this film. I think This is pretty cool. There's people getting upset that liones Gate Limited isn't just Steel books now, which I don't understand. I gotta be honest. A studio was probably not seeing a lot of money coming in from other retailers, so they open their own store and they're experimenting with it. I think that's a pretty damn good thing. I hope they do well, and I hope they The biggest thing is I hope they release standards for all of these things that they're doing, because everybody deserves to be able to own these if they want without paying a whole bunch of money. This one, I think is pretty fairly priced for what they did. It's like thirty bucks. Yeah, it's it's a studio release and it's brand new, but it's it's a four K and a Blu ray and a sticker sheet in a fancy VHS case.
Speaker 2: So yeah, looks pretty cool. Looks like the media, man, I'm sure it's nothing like the media.
Speaker 1: Man, I hear this one is quite good.
Speaker 2: Actually, who is it? Is it the that's not the half Nelson people? Is it? Who made this movie?
Speaker 1: I don't think so this is.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't look. Celesta is even here saying this movie rules and this is fun. Nice shout out, Celest. Next June twenty fourth, Sony is releasing Saint Elmo's Fire on four k oh Ronnie says, yes, it was Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, So there you go. Saint Elmo's Fire has one of the craziest casts of all time. Rob Low to me more Emilio Estevez, Ali Sheety, Judd Nelson, Mayor Winning m Andrew McCarthy and even more that couldn't fit their names on the front cover. And so many people hate this movie. Uh, A lot of the people in this are extremely unlikable, very yuppy type of movie. I mean, look, Simmonar even just said the most yuppie of yuppie movies. I have not seen this movie in a very long time. I think I watched this in like two, said four or five, and it was okay. I get the nostalgia for it, but uh, I also get the people that hate it, because I totally.
Speaker 2: Understand sometimes even when a movie, I mean I remember liking it fine. When Robin and I watch movies a lot of times, even if we're if we tune out of the story. We're like just kind of oggling. Everybody's like belongings and clothing and stuff. And I remember in this movie and Ali Sheety and Jed Nelson's apartment, like behind their couch is like this giant what do you call it when you have like your wall as a whole, like a picture, like like Scarface would have, or like it's like a real photograph, but it's like the whole wall. It's like a tennis.
Speaker 1: Player, like a tapestry or a mural.
Speaker 2: I guess it's like a mural, but it's like a giant photograph of a tennis player. It's really It's just one of those like I want this room.
Speaker 1: All right. So yeah, this has no new bonus features, but it carries over a bunch of the extras from previous releases. This is primarily for people that want to see this and want to see it in the highest quality. So there you go. June twenty fourth, four K. I'm not going to read through all of these, but we did get the details on Looney Tunes Collector's Vault Volume one this week. This is coming on June seventeenth from Warner Archive. It's gonna have twenty five of the shorts that have never been included remastered on any DVD or Blu Ray release, and then it will also have twenty five more that are never been on disc in HD. So these are fifty brand new to HD, but half of them have been on disc before. So this should make a lot of people very happy. And one more thing that we just learned today from the extras podcast, Looney Tunes Platinum Volume one, one, and two will also be back in print as of June. So if you are into classic animation, classic Looney Tunes, June is gonna be special. Are you an animation or Looney Tunes?
Speaker 2: Zude, total Looney Tunes fan kind of bummed at myself for missing, uh the last one in the theater, but I'm very very excited for these developments with with Ketchup. Ketchup Entertainment had that the best thing I saw was the day that that happened. A guy on Instagram was like, I can't believe my second favorite condiment save the Looney Tunes, and somebody was like, what's your first favorite, and like all caps, he was like, honey mustard. That felt appropriate to the appropriate tone.
Speaker 1: That's a that's a damn good setup. And yeah, silent manible so speeding is also Pippola pew and one discanceled. Yeah, we finally got speaking in Zales cartoons in HD, which is awesome.
Speaker 2: I guess I didn't think about that.
Speaker 1: All right. Going to our next one, and that is Keno releasing a wonderful movie road Trip from two thousand on four K. This is coming on June twenty fourth. We have a brand new audio commentary by Joe Ramoni from Hats Off Entertainment. The theatrical addition is the only one that got the four K upgrade, and the uncut or unrated cut is going to be on the Blu ray, so that'll be the same same master that they had on the Blu ray of the unrated cut from before. It's also got a bunch of the featurettes that they did. Now a quick reminder for a lot of people, because I know this pissed off a lot of people that the unrated cut was not on four K. This is likely not Qino's fault. Keino would have done the unrated cut on four K if they were able to. There's a few reasons that they probably couldn't. One it's quite possible that the negative for the parts that were cut out from the unrated cut just simply don't exist anymore. So they couldn't get a four K of those ones of those scenes that they cut. The other thing is there are licensing issues that come up on some of these. So if you are, you know, finding music in the film or a somebody's likeness that's in the cut scene but wasn't in the film, they still have to get the rights on that, and that can cost a studio a lot of money if they don't have it. And unfortunately, with it being a new format, this is something that absolutely could cause a lot of problems. A lot of people are pissed, and I don't think you should be, because again, Keino didn't look at it and go, you know, I see that we could do the unrated cut. We're just not going to though of course they would want to do it. There's all kinds of shit that can happen though, So just not saying all companies are benevolent or anything. Just realize Keno is not like pooh pooing at your money. They want you to buy this, and if they could have done the unrated cut, they would have have you seen road Trip, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I saw. I worked at Blockbuster around the time that that came out, so I have seen it. I'm torn between rewatching it between my love for Tom Green and I have a very very short list. I think of certain artists that I don't really just don't like, and Todd Phillips is one of them. I just I just think his movies are mean in a way that's not fun. And I don't know if he was there yet at road Trip. I think he's like all the way there by the hangover for me, and I don't just don't don't. I don't think he's very fine.
Speaker 1: I get it. This movie is fun. It is worth it. I love that DJ Qualls kind of kills in this movie. Good stuff. Check it out if you've never seen it. This is super random. I'm so stoked that I happened upon this. Two Player Productions is putting out a second pressing of Double Find Psychotyssey. This is a series that played from twenty twenty three to twenty twenty four. It is a whole bunch of episodes together about the video game Psychonauts and stuff like this is super rare to happen for them to be able to put out a second release of this is really damn cool. It is an eight blu ray region free set, is a full box set in a rigid, rigid pack. It also has an eighty page booklet with it. And that is I mean, first of all, super rare again that you could even get this, but to be able to do it, have it do well, and be able to print it again, hats off to them like that, that is an achievement, genuinely. But maybe the biggest news of the week we are seeing the the rising from the ashes of Mondo Vision. This is the company that infamously put out the release of Possession that came out Got a decade ago, now something like that, the the super velvet box set that everybody was after. And what's great is they said, this is a limited edition release. We're only doing two thousand of these, and then peculiarly you could pick it up for like the next five years two thousand probably not, it was probably a little bit more than that. But they just went silent and did nothing else for years following that because the director of Possession, of the director of what we're about to talk about here passed away and they were working with him on a bunch of his releases. Well, finally, out of nowhere, they have announced that they are putting out on the Silver Globe on four K here in the US. This is the first sign this has been released on four K. It was released on Blu Ray last year by Eureka. In fact, I think the standard edition of that disc just dropped, but this is a brand new four K scan. This is exclusive to their release. It is going to have Dolby Vision, which is really nice. It's also going to have some exclusive extras on us that are not on the Eureka release. So this has an exclusive commentary with the director that he recorded way back in twenty twelve. This has a documentary that is supposed to be really great. It is a forty six minute documentary. I've not been able to see it from twenty twelve. There's also a soundtrack CD included with it, and it is going to include an illustrated pamphlet, some lobby cards, poster reproductions, drawing postcard, a map. It is individually numbered with a certificate of authenticity with unique serial numbers, and they're saying there will only be four thousand of them, but that is the Limited Edition, and it will be in this super fancy matt laminated finish with spot gloss accent throughout, all packaged in a heavy duty hardcover box with the magnetic enclosure. And if you don't want to spring for the big one, they're also doing the Special Edition, which has just the film without the soundtrack and all the fanciness. You can still get this on four K. And when can you buy it? Not sure because it's not available for pre order yet. There's no release date. It just sort of says coming soon, but pay attention here and I will do my best to remind you when it is available.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty pretty cool art. I think it says the same director as Possession.
Speaker 1: Possession.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's another one I have not seen but have because of the Internet.
Speaker 1: Basically, Wow, that's a big deal.
Speaker 2: Put it on the shortlist.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to gate keep, but John, I kind of want to hear in the next couple months what you thought of Possession.
Speaker 2: I'm ready. It looks like looks like my jam.
Speaker 1: I will warn there is a we'll say, an exponential fuck ton of screaming in that movie. It is so much, absolutely a lot of screaming.
Speaker 2: I think I'm used to it, honestly, but like watching a lot of vinegar syndrome stuff late at night too, Like I find that often if I do fall asleep, like and I'm wearing headphones, I'm woken by the incessant screaming of the third act, which seems to be most so I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Kurgan is asking how fast would that limited sellout? You think, I mean, I don't know. I think this is a highly coveted film. But also the fact that the box set of the three films from Eureka came out last year. I think that's going to limit the number of people that are going to upgrade to four K on this one, because a lot of people are blind buying this film because it was difficult to see for quite a long time. So will it sell out, Yeah, eventually someday. Is it going to sell out in the first couple months? Honestly, I don't really think so. I think it'll be around for at least a little bit. Four thousand copies is a lot nowadays, especially when this finally comes out. I wouldn't be surprised if that was not at least a ninety dollars release. The old release of Possession. Oh man, if somebody remembers on the chat, tell me, but I feel like that old that velvet box at least was like sixty five or eighty or something like that, so I wouldn't be surprised if the limited of this one was at least eighty two one hundred bucks. Is that Eureka set out of print? Way out of print? Silent Mannibal. Yes, the all three films that were in the box set are now gone. The box set has gone, however, all three have been released as standard single disc releases now. Terry saw Possession in the cinema this year blew everybody's mind. Hell yeah, hell yeah. Next up Imprint in Australia releasing their third TV Movie of the Week collection. This is limited to fifteen hundred copies and a hard box will have a case for every single film. We've got Fame is the name of the game from nineteen sixty six. This is the first time on Blu Ray anywhere in the world. Brian Song from nineteen seventy one, which has been out on Blu Ray before and doesn't have any new features unfortunately. And then A Matter of Wife and Death from nineteen seventy six, first time ever on Blu Ray. That one will not have any bonus features at all, but the first one famous The Name of the Game is gonna have a new audio commentary with Gary Garani. And I'm so glad that they are again continuing to release TV movies on Blu Ray. It's rare. I'm stoked that they're able to do it.
Speaker 2: All I can imagine is those three titles being Jeopardy categories next to each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, absolutely all right. Carrying right along June tenth, Decal and Bleeker Street putting out a Blu Ray release of The Friend from last year. This is a movie with Naomi Watts and Bill Murray who are falsely identified on the cover of this with a very blurry dog in the forecroft. I've heard this is good. I've heard this is actually a cute movie, but yeah, never seen it.
Speaker 2: Do you know that in some people's contracts, being pictured first and being named first are separate, and that's why that annoying thing happens. I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and not only that. One thing that Sam shared last week is even the original contract carries over to physical media releases A generations down the line like he had to have names be certain percentage of other people's names, literally, like this can only be seventy five percent as big as this name.
Speaker 2: Kind of crazy, that's hop comment OCD kicking in.
Speaker 1: Connor says, speaking of TV movies, just saw Duel for the first time that Spielberg kids here is talented. I mean, he's probably going places. I'd say it'll be a billionaire someday. Sony Pictures themselves putting out a blu ray of Experiment in Terror from nineteen sixty two. This is coming on June twenty and fourth. This is a leeve remickfilm that is supposedly great. I believe Indicator released this in the UK if I remember right a long time ago. I don't have that release. So I'm glad Sony's doing this. Nice to see that they're finding some time for their old catalog time like this kind of surprising. Actually we talked about this one, I think last week or the week before. But now In the Lost Lands from twenty twenty five is getting a four K release over in the UK on June first from Studio Canal. This will have so many extras on it. All they did was build a trailer for it. I think that is the only extra. It's just a trailer.
Speaker 2: I regret not seeing that in the theater. So hard?
Speaker 1: Are you a Paul ws Anderson apologist?
Speaker 2: I just I got a pal who is really into his work, and I think it's It's again. It's one of those ones where I'm like imagining the future nostalgia. I'm like, Oh, who's not going to end twenty five years, be like this movie is sick. Everybody's gonna think this movie is sick in twenty five years. Just stop playing? Just why? Why spend time not liking it?
Speaker 1: I still can't believe that life has gotten so weird for me that I got a text from the premiere of this in New Mexico of somebody taking a picture with Mi Lajoviovic. Life is odd. Next up, Celast Daily Cobra actually posted a review of this today and seem to have loved it. So June tenth, Dcal and Bleaker Street again working together to put out the wedding banquet from this year. This is the boon Yang and Lily Gladstone ran a film that looks really good. Glad This is getting a physical release kind of surprised that it is. I gotta be honest. Yeah, glad it is coming out. Hopefully Decal doesn't ruin it. Speaking of ruining things, Oh man, you look disappointed as I said that.
Speaker 2: What do what they do?
Speaker 1: Uh? Well, let's get into it. So June twenty third, over in the UK, Fabulous Films is releasing John Carpenter's student film Dark Star from nineteen seventy four in a deluxe four K release. Now, unfortunately, Fabulous Films is essentially the VCI of the UK. They are like, Hey, nobody else was gonna license this, so I'm gonna be able to do it, and not really be able to put a whole lot of work into it. Now they're clearly putting a lot into the packaging to try to entice people to buy this. And I'm not saying it's gonna look terrible because it could be great. But keep in mind when you buy this movie, if five of you in the chat by this release, all of you together could have funded the entire production of Dark Star when it comes out. Yeah, this is a decent movie. I won't say it's a masterpiece. It's probably my least favorite from Carpenter, but yeah, This is basically like VCI doing a four K, which they've done one and it turned out terribly. I'm I don't know, Like I'm also a carpenter super fan, so I would love to have this if it was happening the right way. But at the same time, it's it's his student film, and seeing this in four K, the coloring could look great, but I don't want to see like the cardboard boxes that lined the ship. Necessarily. Yeah, this was sixteen millimeter two, so it's not going to be the cleanest four K. It's it's not gonna be bad necessarily. There's even eight millimeter four ks that have looked incredible, so nothing to worry about on that front necessarily. But I don't know. I don't know that they went back to the I mean, clearly they're saying they didn't go back to the negative on this. But this is the kind of movie that probably you don't need to spend sixty dollars to get.
Speaker 2: Oh my, that is that they're charging.
Speaker 1: It's like forty six dollars British towns, so in fact it might even be more than sixty. Yeah, again, not trying to shoot on anybody that wants it. It's a fun movie. I think everybody should see it at least once, especially if you're like a Carpenter fan. It's kind of important to see where he came from. But I mean, oh yeah, and siminary brings up the tariffs. I mean it'll be at least ten percent added on for that. So yeah, just keep in mind the VCI, speaking of owns Dark Star in the US, You're not going to get this from Shout probably. I believe VCI owns the film outright because nobody else really wanted it. So this is probably either the best release this is ever going to get, or it'll be awful and stick with the VCI Blu Ray. I don't know, just my opinion either way.
Speaker 2: Maybe this entire release will be an Easter egg on the Starman Steel Book.
Speaker 1: Now that would be pretty incredible. God damn. Danny from Australia says it's nearly one hundred dollars Australian Jesus. Of course Dustin wants this, Dustin, are you gonna be carrying this? If everybody wants this, should they go to the brother Belyle let me know. Next up June twenty fourth, Universal putting out the four K steel Book of Meghan to take advantage of the sequel coming out. This was previously a best by exclusive. There's nothing different. It's literally the same upc. Everything else is identical. But this was getting scalped quite a bit secondhand. So I'm glad this is coming out. More people having a chance to have it. Is nice. It's actually a decent steal book. I think I have this, Yeah, I'm pretty sure I do. I love this movie. Did you see this one? I did?
Speaker 2: I mean I think I like the Titanium Dance. That's my favorite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I liked the movie. I just for some reason, I wanted to be a little more brutal. The unrated cut, by the way, definitely the version to go to watch these was it even is a radar? There was an R rated cut and then there was an unrated cut.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, yeah, it didn't feel I Don'm not even I'm remembering it as like PG thirteen in my head. So yeah, definitely didn't feel like a chucky.
Speaker 1: There was the one scene I remember, oh you know what, it might have been PG thirteen. That's what Steph, you know, was saying. There's a scene in the elevator where they make him kill somebody and it's quite gory, and that that was the big difference in the two cuts for sure. I think there was a couple other small Okay, everybody's saying it's PG thirteen, so good to know I was mistaken. Indicator had some announcements today. We got HMS Defiant also known as Damn the Defiant here in the US a release. This is a nineteen sixty two film. This is coming out on July twenty first only in the UK. These first four releases that we're going to talk about in one group are UK only releases. This is Alec Guinness and Dirk Bogard. This is an HD remaster. We've got two presentations of the film, just where they changed the titling, depending on which one you wanted to go with. They've got all kinds of archival extras on this, a couple brand new interviews from the last handful of years. Imprint also had put this out previously, and I believe they got the Imprint extras for this, but you're gonna have a booklet with it as usual with the limited release of this one. And then they're also doing the Taming of the Shrew from nineteen sixty seven, which I believe Imprint also did this one if I remember right. This is the one with Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. And on this one they've got a brand new audio commentary with Alexander Helder Nicholas and Josh Nelson. There is a couple of brand new features and then a whole lot of archival extras as well, again with the booklet as usual in the limited edition and going to oh look, yeah, Terry just confirmed Imprint also did Taming of the Shrews. Then we've got the Hireling. This is with Robert Shaw and Sarah Miles from nineteen seventy three Blu Ray only UK only July twenty first. Like I said, and this one I've heard is quite good. The poster kind of leaving a lot to be desired here. It's sort of minimalist, but it's not bad necessarily. It's just not one that I see and go, damn, I gotta see that. But this is supposedly really great. We've got interviews that are brand new with a bunch of people associated with the film, and for a film that's fifty years old, that's pretty rad to be able to get those actually do.
Speaker 2: See that poster and say I want to see that. I don't know what the hell is that word. I've never seen that word before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that got me a first two for sure. Yeah. We've got Larry Karazuski doing a trailer commentary from twenty twenty one on this a booklet with the limited release as usual. Yeah, I think I kind of want this one.
Speaker 2: You know what it was because I saw Robert Shaw in whichever James Bond film. He's like super young. It's like maybe it's like you only live twice, and I was like, damn, I need to see more Robert Shaw because he was not grizzled whatsoever. And I was like, I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I love moments like that where you see an actor that you've seen at least a handful of times that you're always just like, yeah, yeah, I recognize him, and then you see it again in something else and you're like, oh, like they can act. This is amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: Uh. Kubric Lover says it's from Russia.
Speaker 2: With love, Thank you. It is from Russia with Love, Thank you.
Speaker 1: The Dresser is the next Indicator title. This is from nineteen eighty three, also a UK only title. Like I said, this is starring Peter Yates or sorry, this is starring Albert Finnie and it's directed by Peter Yates. This is a film set during the Second World War and this one again also supposed to be great. Looked up some reviews on this and it seems like a winner for sure. Lots of new interviews with people associated with this. Again, Indicators kind of been doing really great on extras as usual. I've said it before, I've said it many many times on here, but they are literally one of the most consistent boutiques out there, just a block of extras on the back of every single one of their releases. Did not realize that Paul's pointing out this was another imprint release previously, So we're seeing that pattern again of imprint releases coming out time and time again from other labels and other territories. Then Eureka got in on the game today of UK stuff, but we're going to talk about at least one that's going to be in North America as well. July twenty first UK only release from Masters of Cinema of the Sons of Great Bear from nineteen sixty six. This is a DIFA film, a defa German western that they worked on difas the cinema over there that def Crocodile and Eureka have recently been working with some of their animated titles on. This is going to have a limited edition collector's booklet with new writing by a handful of people. We've got a new commentary by Western scholar Cherry Barrett. There's a new discussion on the film in a Global context with Austin Fisher, new visual essay on the depiction of Native American life and the Sons of Great Bear by Lee Broughton. Some archival stuff either way, like this at least sounds very interesting. I love love Eureka's slate this month. This all sounds really great. No German westerns for.
Speaker 2: You, I know nothing. It looks cool. I keep thinking, that's like, looks like de Niro on the picture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what year is that? From nineteen sixty six?
Speaker 2: That's probably his dad, That.
Speaker 1: Was old Bob de Niro. Yeah. July twenty eighth on four K in the UK. They are also doing the Old Dark House from nineteen thirty two. A four K of this movie first off, amazing, just a handful of years ago. This was thought to be a lost film, and now we're gonna have it on UHD. This is, of course directed by James Whale, starring Force Korla Karlov. This movie's amazing. Have you seen this one?
Speaker 2: I have not seen it.
Speaker 1: This is one that I think, knowing some of the stuff that you like, I think you'd really appreciate this one. This one has all of the extras that they did on their Blu Ray release of The Old Dark House. I'm glad that they're doing this again, but no new extras. Is again an overloaded release. Try not not to complain at all, but for the people that just got the Blu Ray in the last few years, it would have been nice to see at least one new thing thrown out here. But yeah, the fact that this will have like a Dolby Vision HDR grade on this is crazy. This was a lost film just very recently. I love that. Love that. Next up, another classic getting a four K release. High Noon from nineteen fifty two is getting a four K release in the UK from Eureka on July twenty eighth. This is Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly in this classic western. This one is another one that they had released previously on Blu Ray. This one does have some new extras on here though, We've got a new visual essay and a couple others. This one is gonna have a making of doc and again Dolby Vision HDR on high noon. I love that love that we're getting, you know, the just the best possible attention to these films. Kind of crazy that they're doing it. Also, as usual, in their limited edition, will have a booklet with the original short story The Ten Star. I'll have a nineteen seventy four essay by the screenwriter Carl Foreman and a retrospective review.
Speaker 2: Do you think they made him look a little Yule Brunnery to get those West World heads in on this one?
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. I thought that the moment I saw this art.
Speaker 2: Yes, Like, I don't know that I've seen Gary Cooper in color to be honest, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can see it. Uh. Stephano says, Do I think there will be an upgrade from four K in the next ten years? I don't think there will be an upgrade physically from four K. Ever. Actually, I'm pretty pretty dead set on the fact that I don't think we have not only just the technology, but the consumers for it. We barely have the consumers for four K right now. If we were to disenfranchise these again and splinter out into eight K or even higher, No, I don't think you have the people that are going to shell out to buy these movies yet again. And I understand that, you know, people asked when these DVDs were out the same thing, and we've gone two formats past then. But we're literally maximizing already the amount of data that we can pull out of ocns. Sure, there's been a couple things that have been scanned in twelve K, but you and even a couple have even been higher than that. I think there's one that got a thirteen K scam last year. It's it's not just that, like we have everything pulling away from physical media and so the fact that the ecosystem is just not really there. I I don't know. I mean, even like the highest quality healthy eyes can't see much more than four K at home. You know, if something is playing on a giant screen like the Vegas Sphere or something, yeah, they can do one off something like that. But on the consumer grade, I don't think we're ever going to have anything over four K. Ever, do you have different thoughts on that, John.
Speaker 2: No, I would be I mean, it's rest in peace, my walle at times. Whatever. I would just I think you said it. You said it perfectly.
Speaker 1: And Craig in the chat is saying four K is the same resolution that you see films on the big theatrical screens. There's literally no point for higher resolution in your home, agreed. I mean again, some of these have been scanned in higher things, but that's literally, that's literally film preservation. That's not for consumption. You don't you don't need it. You're not getting more data visually out of it. It's to scan the the like authentic film itself to the best of our capabilities. And I mean, it's wild that we're getting some of these, like Vinegar Syndrome titles on four K or Terror Vision Tomorrow Morning is announcing a title on four K that, as far as we can tell, has never been on physical media ever, it's making its debut on four K. That's amazing. Would it have gone to eight K or twelve K or whatever? No? Like there love I love the reaction to that question for knowing what the film is. Yeah, it's just there's no there's literally no reason on the consumer level, all right, So that's high Noon. Eureka is also doing the Tattooed Dragon. This is from nineteen seventy three, and this is coming on July twenty first in the UK and July twenty second in North America. This is a big one because it's a Jimmy wang You film and a lot of people adore him. He's he's one of the greats. This one. Of course, we'll have a brand new collector's booklet with it. It's gonna have a brand new commentary with Frank jang It, I'll have a brand new commentary with Mike Leader and Arna Venoma. I'll have a new discussion on Tattoo Dragon with Wayne Wong. Looks like a damn fine release and I definitely need this one. Jimmy wing You is great, Craig says, Imax screens are four K unless you're putting in a fifteen to seventy film projector in your house, and nobody is except for maybe a couple of billionaires. Then we got some silloscope stuff that went up on their website that I wanted to make sure that people could see this summer, which I believe is happening the end of next month. Actually, they're releasing a double feature of Hamilton and Putty Hill from two thousand and six in twenty ten. This is a feature of Matt Porterfield Films. These are newly restored and it's Hamilton's about two summer days in the life of a young family Puddy Hill. The character Corey dies of a heroin overdose in an abandoned house in Baltimore, and then on the eve of his funeral, family and friends gathered to commemorate his life and they share memories, and it's a pursuit of a new American dream type film. This is gonna have some bonus scenes from Hamilton and a trailer. You can pre order that now on the website or on Amazon. Then the second one. I saw a lot of people very excited about this. Today, in early fall of this year, we're getting a blu ray DVD from Oscilloscope of Dig and then a newer version called Dig x X. This is from two thousand and four, and then the upgrade was from twenty twenty four. The synopsis here. Twenty years ago, Sundance was rocked by Dig on d Timowner's genres hopping rockumentary about two Gen X bands and their journey to all rock glory. Shot over nearly a decade, dig explores the collision of art and commerce through the star crossed friendship and bitter rivalry of dueling nineties bands The Dandy Warhols and the Brian jonestownd Massacre, through their lives and obsessions, gigs, arrest and death threats, uppers and downers, and ultimately to their shot at mainstream success. They stage a self proclaimed revolution in the music industry and then Dig xx they have a bigger, better, crazier, expanded reimagining of the original cut and it reminds us why the original is canon and why sometimes more is better. You got deleted and extended scene, some interviews, and a trailer. I am really happy to be an Oscilloscope subscriber and beginning this one, I cannot wait. What do you get in an Oscilloscope sub The Oscilloscope Oscilloscope sub is their next ten titles on Blu ray or DVD. I think the DVD one is one hundred and twenty dollars, the Blu Ray one is one hundred and forty and the whole time. While you're subscriber. You get a fifty percent off discount on all of their back catalog too, and they similar to Terror Vision. They will tell you if there's a title you don't want, you just let them know and they'll skip it for you. They're very accommodating. They've essentially they've got like a concierge email where if you need something, you just reach out and you've got access to them and they'll they'll help you through their catalog, check out something for you, provide some info anything you need. They are incredible behind the scenes, very cool. And the last one from them is Universal Language. This is a newer film from last year, coming in early fall from Oscilloscope again Blu Ray DVD. This is a film that they've been putting out on theatrical runs over last year or so and promoting here and there, and I've heard nothing but great things about this movie. Very eager to see this one as well. This one will have a full audio commentary, deleted and extended scenes, a trailer and it says many more. Not sure what that will be, but they've really been leaning heavily on this this title. So glad to see this one finally coming out on Blue and A. Yeah, eager to see this.
Speaker 2: One, dignar. I know, yeah, it's coming soon also, but the one that's there is is cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is one of their theatrical posters and I like it. It's a nice poster indicator back for one more that they quietly hit at the bottom of their email, so I missed it. In the US, they are actually putting out a single title in July as well, and July twenty second we are getting a four K and a Blu ray release of Sarah Band for Dead Lovers. This is from nineteen forty eight. There is a hard box release of this. This is the first color film from Ealing Studios, so it is one that is pretty important to British cinema. This one has a director and screenwriter. James Dearden introduces this because his father is the one that directed it. We've got some archival extras on this one, some twenty three extras poured it over from the British release, and of course a booklet with all kinds of writing on this one. It's an eighty page book since this is one of their hardcover releases. Yeah, looks like a lot. Speaking of the UK. Over there, I don't find out about this enough to be able to post. We are getting three Criterion titles over in the UK in July July seventh, they are getting a four K of The Beatles A Hard Day's Night. We are getting July seventeenth a Blu ray of Midnight from nineteen thirty nine, and then on July twenty eighth, a four K of Sorcerer from William Friedkin. This is great. I love that a lot of people in the UK are getting more and more access to Criterion titles, stuff that has never been released over in the UK, and now you've got easier access rather than importing from Amazon or something, so that is nice. And then the last thing. I kind of shared this at the end of the day today, but I'm I'm looking to do more guest spots. If you run a film or physical media, podcast or YouTube channel or anything, I'd love to hop on there. Hit me up, email DM anything. I would love to take part in. Whatever it is that you do. I'll happily put you on my stuff too. What are you laughing at, John? I just.
Speaker 2: I think it's funny. It made me think of you're not like this at all, but have ever seen the SNL sketch the Hurley Hey Boy when Adam Sandler's like, please let me sleep in your bed?
Speaker 1: Yeah, basically thanks, but it made me think.
Speaker 2: It made me think of the Hurly Hey Boy because I say that to people. I said, please let me.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about what's coming out next week. That's a little bit better than the Hurly Hey Boy. Honor four K from Criterion here in the US. Technically the Beyond four ks next week, but that's been shipping for two weeks now or whatever time. Cop four K has been shown up at people's houses. We've got those three Clint Eastwood four K titles. Next week, we got Dirty Harry, the Outlaw, Josie Whales, and Pale Rider. That really goofy looking lethal weapon. Four K Steel book also drops next week.
Speaker 2: I saw the one I thought was boring, and then I saw the smiley face.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, your face changed immediately. It was so good That Stripe's four K steel book comes out next week, so that's nice. People can get their hands on that Gandhi four K Steel book also next week. Lots of four K steel books. A lot of these studios leaning heavily on the Steel Book side. Things to Do in Denver While You're Dead four K from Keno. That's a that's a fun movie. I'd watch that one again. Wacky Races the complete series is coming from Warner Archive next week. Matt Fox's has been shipping from Cauldrons. That is nice. The v Cinema box set that happens to be in my hand right here. This is the one that I showed at the beginning that is dropping next week from Arrow. The Basketbat four K dropping next week. Birth and Rebirth is one of the Ocen titles in case you forgot Side Street from Warner Archive. Tale of Sorrow and Sadness like John held up, that's coming from Radiance next week. Cries and Shadows. The Cauldron release is shipping now. Like I said, so I need to get that one in oh. I pre ordered that with something else. I think. Prince of Broadway, another Sean Baker title from Criterion also coming out. Three The hard Way, Clean and Sober, and Springfield Rifle, all from Warner Archive coming out next week. Next week is a pretty big one unfortunately. Flamental Jacket four K getting in another Steel Book Girl with the Suitcase from Radiance coming out next week as well. Suddenly in the Dark four K from Terervision. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be shipping next week. I believe that's the next batch after that. Should be soon, but definitely not next week. Star Trek Section thirty one four K dropping next week as well, Lily from Warner Archive and Posse from Keno, Lrber Paddington and Peru. The US release, which is a Blu Ray Don't forget that is a four K over in the UK if you want the better release there, The magnificent Chang Chay from Eureka getting its release next week, Swept Away four K from RaRo, and inflatable sex Doll of the Wastelands is coming from def Crocodile. This is one I've seen a couple subs asking if this had shipped yet, and as you'll find out, this was unfortunately slightly delayed. Mute Aliens as well. The manufacturer literally forgot to start manufacturing on time, so it should be shipping starting in the next few days, but it's not gonna be in people's hands early because that would have been last week. Unfortunately. Let's see what God, there's a lot of stuff. Next week Mayfair Witches season two with Alexandra de Dario from AMC. Next week the Bermuda Triangle from Keno lorber Rick and Morty the anime, another Pokemon Detective Pikachu four K Steel book, a place further than the universe. I think that's from Shout and then gosh uh, a lot of this Empire the Dark from VCI. What else? The pickup has already been shipping from Severn. There's a lot of stuff listing. Is this the last Tuesday of the month next to the week?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Fatal Beauty. My boy Carl is a big, big whoopie fan, big supporter of Fatal Beauty.
Speaker 1: Any of these you don't have yet that you're after.
Speaker 2: That? I am after. I got Honora's in the mail, which I'm very very excited about.
Speaker 1: And you definitely definitely leave the Steel Book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna wait for I want a Lethal Weapon two Steel Book where the cover is just Danny Glover sitting on the toilet. All wait for that. That looks like that looks like National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon one, but not even as good. Yeah, how would they do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That makes me just want to watch that instead. That's what I'm gonna do. That's that's my protest vote. I'm gonna watch Loaded Weapon one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a crazy week. It's also gonna be a crazy time coming up. I'm I'm excited to see everything that's coming out here soon. But now tonight, Uh, why why are we talking about creative influences and inspirations?
Speaker 2: John Well? I mean, I think like, for me, over the last year, I've just had like, I don't know, I've been feeling. I've been feeling it been getting excited about learning and moving forward and trying to be joyous in the face of a lot of garbage in the world that you know, we probably nobody wants to talk about and I don't really want to talk about but it's like just encroaching on us all and it's so stupid and it's for no reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, I think like, mostly I just want to talk about stuff that is joyous, a stuff to stuff to celebrate, and stuff that like feels The main movie that you know, we were going to talk about, I want to thank you one for watching it, not that you would have I know you would have eventually, But like I think that a lot of these like and with with I think a big reason to do it this way is because like a lot of times we would come at each other with a list and be like you'd be like that's cool. I have not seen those, And I would be like those are cool. You are cool, but I have not seen those either, and the like what are like what are we talking about? And I think that like I don't like, you know, I think at a certain point in the like both for nostalgia and for a lot of reasons, like people lament the death of mono culture, like we're not all watching this, Like you can't even talk to people. Nobody's watching the same stuff. So it's like that in itself is making it harder to relate. Another thing over the last year is like, you know, I think with everything that's going on in America, like I think, I don't know, I feel like I have slowed down and like taken stock of like what's good and just thinking about things like like a good way to use the internet is to like make a friend that you we would net without the internet, we would never have met. And isn't this nice? But and like try not to just like let an algorithm tell you anything. It's so boring, so freaking boring. So I'm just excited to even just It's like I said about Will earlier, like it's just nice to have somebody around who you're like, hey, you know this thing, Yeah, I know what that is, and like let's let's talk about it. So and the last thing I would say is that this this isn't exactly what but I was thinking, you know how, like everyone's like feels like they should have done I should have done more by this point in my life or whatever, and like I felt that for a really really long time and I'm like starting to like not feel that so much anymore and like not that kind of pressure. And it's like iways thinking, I was thinking the other day about like well Orson Wells made like that everybody's like you made Citizen kme when he was twenty five, and what have I done? Nothing? And it's like that I feel like that kind of narrative has been like has like blocked me from feeling from allowing myself to be creative. And what I like about the movie that we're going to discuss is that it's like it's kind of scrappy and a little bit like shitty looking, but it's like create in a way that's like glorious in a way that like some of my favorite movies are, and it feels it's like it's inspiring because it feels attainable, and that's actually something that like when you know, starting to watch like I remember like the first round of like Vinegar Syndrome or I keep mentioning a lot, but like any of these companies that are releasing these like under Underseen, like super low budget Z grade things, you're like, well, I'm watching this forty thirty forty years later, like I could do this, and who knows, who knows where it's gonna go.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Thanks for letting me ramble on about that point.
Speaker 1: But no, I mean it's not rambling. It's it's an important lead in and funny enough, it's that in itself is a kind of really good way to introduce the movie because the movie has an important, sort of rambling lead in itself on screen to show you that this has creatively borrowed from a lot of ip yeah, without permission, and it's doing it in fair use, and so tonight if you have not gathered from that very big hint. We are covering a title released by Ultraed Innocence and promoted very The People's Joker. This is you got the slip, the beautiful slipcover on this please lovely lovely artwork throughout this. This is a film that you can still get right now in diabolic funny enough, I hid the link to purchase some of their stuff in the description below, so go check it out if you want, open it up in another tab. The Alternate Innocence website has links to I think they even have vhs still funny enough. Randomly, I had a call with Frank Jaffy, the owner of Alternate Innocence, today and he let me know that they're putting in a bunch of really like unique, very nice VHS releases of The People's Joker in Whammy in La. So if you're in the LA area, go check out Whammy. Lots of stuff that they've done for this film, lots promoting this made a lot of waves. Technically if you look this up on letterbox, I think it shows for a twenty twenty two film, and this has been making the rounds since then. This has played quite a few festivals. This has gotten in trouble at a couple of those festivals and pulled immediately. This has played in quite a few theater runs. This movie, though, why don't you tell us what this is about? John?
Speaker 2: I mean, what is it about? I don't mean the story like it's it's a pretty like there's nothing like too too crazy about the story. I mean it's like a you know, I guess is it a coming of age story? I mean, but like in it in a world where there's comedy is outlawed and how do you describe the plots of this? You're gonna do a better job than me.
Speaker 1: This is a coming of age story. But more importantly, this is a personal coming out story for the director v Drew, who plays the people's joker in this Vera. Drew is a I mean I'd hesitate to like give the whole bag before I say this, but like a creative genius in so many different ways in the way that this film is made. It is a mixed medium film of somebody leaving home in the Midwest, making their way to Gotham City and joining improv comedy and like opening up their own comedy place where comedy has not been allowed, so they're opening an anti comedy. Look anyways, that's not super important, but it's finding yourself in the big city by getting away from it in so so many different ways. I mean, there's even point in things in this movie about like being so broken and depressed that you call the suicide hotline and ask them what the weather's like in your hometown, just to feel like you're back there a little bit. What's funny though, is the character and the individual behind the story didn't really want to be home, but wanted to feel that sense of like innocence and familiarity in a place where they were lost. And this movie is crazy because I blew past the whole mixed medium thing. This movie. You go from full blown, like beautifully designed sets to animated sequences, to both intermingling on camera at once, to weird like day for night shots that are pulled off in some of the most odd ways to save money. And yes, John said earlier that it looked a little shitty, but I gotta be honest, it looks truly. And I when I had heard that this will put some people off because it looks so shitty, I expected so much worse. When this played, I was like, WHOA, Like this is actually really good and really well made in a way that you you sort of just get lost in the mixed medium aspect of it and don't really focus on this is just like a couple of people standing in a room around like some makeshift pillars in a couple scenes.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you for being able to describe the plot. I'm like, obviously, as just witnessed, not not good at at that because I'm kind of like when I even when I watch a movie, I'm like just thinking the whole time about right, like just being blown away as as an editor, like thinking, wow, people are gonna like or you know, God forbid, somebody comes in expecting a superhero movie. They're gonna be like, and I think that this movie, which was not intended for I mean, it's intended for everybody, but like didn't think this movie, doesn't think it's going to become as big as it ends up right becoming. And that's the thing, Like it's it's big enough to have many many haters just because they were expecting a superhero movie. And yep, yeah, I just was blown away as an editor, being like, yeah, some of this looks like like this scene was made with dolls, and the scene is you know, it's a bunch of different things, but I was like, this looks so challenging to put together is basically what I'm getting to. It's like, it doesn't like if you watch this and don't see the part that's like, wow, this actually looks you can tell like this is like so many hours trying to figure this stuff out, even if you're good at it.
Speaker 1: Just thinking how you want this to look alone in itself is such a creative vision. But then being able to pull this off in the way that ends up on screen is another gift entirely, and Vera Drew's voice is all over this and again because it is literally a coming out story for the director, it is just the most personal aspect that you could expect from somebody. This is like ninety seven percent of this film is just vulnerability on screen, you know, things of somebody admitting that they are like never okay, essentially that they are always just dealing with something terrible inside of them. And when you can feel like that and yet envision this neon centric film and this like morbid curiosity of how do I, how do I pull this off? With essentially like negative twenty dollars to make this way in a way that isn't so off putting that people stop along the way. And not only not only does Vera Drew pull that off, but then pulls and collaborators that elevate this to something special. I mean, didn't even say like some of these people that do voices and other stuff behind the scenes for this, Scott Ackerman, Bob Odenkirk, Maria Bamford is hilarious in this, Robert wool There's there's some random voices that you hear in this and you're like, Jesus, how in the world did they get this voice for this film?
Speaker 2: So the best, the best shitty part is probably Maria Bamford playing CGI Lauren Michaels. It just looks like so purposely terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that honestly. One of the funniest parts to me is the disclaimer at the very beginning that I alluded to a moment ago. They literally say, you know, there's a lot of IP in this movie that we simply don't have like permission to display. However, because this is a personal story and educational in nature, I do believe this is in fair use due to this, and the lawyers have looked at it and all this other stuff, and then they straight call out Lord Michael's by name that I mean they're using. They're using like no name batman villains to tell this story in a way that somehow works, and it it is a just one of the most unique things I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: I'm glad I had no idea what you were gonna think, because it was funny. We talked about this and you were just like, yep, I saw it, and I was like, I'm not even gonna ask. I don't want to know, because I think it would be interesting either way if.
Speaker 1: You were like, yeah, well, and that's the thing. I didn't see it as a masterpiece or come away like personally changed, like classic letterbox type score. This is probably like a three and a half for me, But as somebody that appreciates films and knows that just getting something off the ground is so difficult for a trans filmmaker to tell this story with these visuals, with these names in such a way that you're actually played in festivals and people care and Altered Innocent sells God knows how many, at least a couple thousand copies of this. I'm sure your story now in the hands of a lot of people that genuinely care about this sort of thing. I mean that in itself is inspiring, and you know, to talk about tradive influences and inspirations. Imagine what Vera Drew has done for the next generation of young filmmakers or the next generation of young trans individuals. Considering that is such a tiny, tiny minority of individuals in this country, the representation alone of such a story. Yes, for the less than two of every hundred people in the country that are trands that can see this and be changed as an individual and say, fuck, I don't have to stay in Kansas. I can go be completely normal with people that don't look at me and dead name me. And that's you know, the way that this vulnerably approaches all that in a respectful way to the LGBTQ community is so great. Through most of the movie, they bleep the main.
Speaker 2: Characters bleeping the dead name, and then when they don't, it's.
Speaker 1: Hilarious and it's impactful and done for a very specific reason. Yeah, and it's done. I mean, like anybody with even I know that this is a lot to ask in twenty twenty five. But anybody with at least half a brain watches this movie and it immediately goes, oh, like shit, that that meant something there that is so much more impactful than the first thirty eight times I got bleeped. So yeah, this this is in my opinion, not like a masterpiece or anything. Right, this is one of the most important things I've seen in the last couple of years, And I could never deny that.
Speaker 2: I think I couldn't find this. I've tried to actually find this conversation, so I think it exists and hopefully isn't like you know when they have like quote Abraham Lincoln is saying your mom or Mark Twain is saying, like you can't believe everything you read on the internet. But I think it was a mel Brooks conversation where he's like, is is your like talking about budgets and being like is your movie better than a hospital? Like assuming that you could have made a movie or built a hospital, and like that's like part of the that's like part of my turn away from like I don't watch as much big budget stuff anymore, Like I used to see the whole Marque no matter what, and just be like and now I've really you know, I think you hit a certain age and you're like I'm gonna I'm gonna die sometimes, so like I really would actually would just like to focus on stuff that's like actually cool to me. Yeah, But so I always think of that question, like and I often after like a great comedy, I'll be like, like, well that there was that was better than a hospital, And I think that like this does feel like it has that like you know that how much representation matters, and that like this isn't gonnect you know, connect with Like I said, there's a lot of people that it's it's not going to connect with because it's like, you know, it's like a theater kid tone that's like not exactly what how I mean it, but like you know what I mean. It's like, but yeah, I think that Like for I think it's money, money well spent, and uh it's you know, she's working through this whole process in a way that isn't is about just is about more than her. It's very you know, she goes deep into it on behalf of every ready. I think. But another thing too, about you saying you know, like it's not a you know it's maybe it's three, three and a half star two. Like when the way I see the handling like this, like this very small stuff but like looked at like it's like like it is done on a grand scale. Yeah, Like I'm not saying I still feel like what I said a second ago, like just just build a hospital. But like I'm like, oh, man, if you threw some money at Vera Drew, like she's gonna like her next She's gonna make something that costs money at some point and it's gonna be really cool and at the same time, like I think that, you know, especially queer stories, uh specifically, are often better when they're at there like punky anarchy scrappy level, like early John Waters versus late John Waters. Like I love it all, but like you know, pink Flamingo, there's there's the like pink flamingos and hairsprays and like I'm sure she'll get there, but I hope not too soon. I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean the reality is supposedly I believe when she set out to make this she literally had like no budget, which is crazy to hear, but it was literally like what can I do to earn enough to film next Friday, basically and making this movie and having it be pulled off the way that you did. I completely agree with you. If if she stumbles upon like a ten million dollar budget for something, I don't know that anything could stop her, like with actual backing for a creative project that could have you know, this sort of bread of thought, with a creative team around her, where she could go this is what I want to see. Can you do that? And they go yeah, I mean yeah, we have ten million dollar budget, Yeah, we can do that, and they actually pull that off. Magic will be on that screen because this is borderline there in many of the scenes with no money and if you're able to make up those other scenes that do in a way look kind of shitty like you said, but like again, the looking shitty is is endearing in a way for this movie. It's not a bad things. It's a story that's being told as a narrative primarily through like inner monologue through some of it, and based on that it works for the way that she is telling the story, and to pull off something else like I don't know, like I don't know if ver Drew has five scripts that she's written and is ready to go. It would be cool to hear about. But if she is, if somebody's got some money, she literally could be doing some crazy stuff in the future.
Speaker 2: I'll say importantly too. There you know, there's a few movies that stick out where you're like, oh, sound design. This is why sound design is so completely important, where like if you watch can you match? Like if if a I always thinking like if a racer head didn't have the sound that I had, that would be it. You would be like, yeah, that this is just some weird, some weird shit. But like I'm thinking of specifically of like the like scene when they're they're just barbies for a second, and then like Batman comes in animated with this mustache and like it just sounds like it sounds like a big budget movie and that's you know what helps you believe in all that. And it's like again that attainable kind of thing where you're like, I think it's really exciting to see ideas, like people being like, oh, I can convey the idea for like no money whatsoever. Yeah, right here, right now, Like I understand the angles, I understand what it has to sound like, and like, yeah, we can make an act like it makes you feel like you could just like in the next ten minutes, set up an action sequence, get some stock sounds. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's very it's very inspiring, and honestly, that's that's kind of the sign of a great director when you know when you know what your limitations are and where you max out the quality of things and know where to pull it back on some other things to save some of the money. And this like the choices for that are visible in most of those shots, whether it's something with great audio and sort of shitty background visually, or some of those things where she's like, there's no way we can get a car doing a J turn on a dirt road to look right in this style, so let's animate it. And it looks pretty damn good. It looks like it fits in the film. And yeah, animating it costs a little bit of money, I'm sure, but it's nowhere near what it would have cost doing it in like an actual car obviously. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, what's beautiful too, is that for like the fact that it's a movie about you know, a lot of like soul searching and self doubt, like it is because she believes in her incredible charisma as a lead performer and like really gives a performance that like I would compare to like John Cameron Mitchell and Hedwig. I think it's it's that charismatic with a much different just feels like, you know, a generation away. Yeah, in whichever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very self deprecating in lots of the scenes. It's somebody that you know is super honest about even like remaining in abusive relationships. There's so much that certain decisions are going to be frustrating because they're human decisions, like actual things that somebody has made in that situation, not something that was made just for a film or something like that. This is somebody that is literally putting essentially their life story with a weird frame on screen for you in a way that is immense in so many ways. The big thing, you know, we're talking about creative influences and inspirations. This is pulling from so many different things. I mean, the environment of improv alone is a it's like the skeleton of this film essentially the idea of like desiring to be in UCB and then follow that up with SNL and do things that all of the greats had to do. It, so if I don't do it, I'm not great. And when it doesn't work for you, feeling that oh I'm worthless type of feeling and letting that just sit with you for months on end. It's such a true depiction of I mean, you can still do incredible things after that happened. Yeah, I love those scenes. It's just so real about that stuff.
Speaker 2: This is this is random thinking who's the guy who plays Who's like I've seen him, but.
Speaker 1: Let me see Oh man, Yeah he was. He was pretty damn funny.
Speaker 2: But I mean another thing too, like in terms of like, you know, direct action from the film. I am pretty immediately between this and actually that record, I held up Daughter of Swords. They did a music video that was green screen, and at like I was like I don't have a green screen. But I was like, wait a minute, my office is electric blue and that it used to be blue screens. So like I immediately it was like, yeah, I've it works, you got what you need. It does work. So it's fun to like be able to start getting start getting weird.
Speaker 1: Razahul was David leeb Heart. He did some of the Tim and Eric stuff, so like he was in the Tim and Eric's billion dollar movie. Gotcha.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen a lot of Tim and Eric, and I know that I fear Drew heavily was an editor for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of that same feeling definitely went into this for sure. Any other influences or inspirations you want to bring up, because Hedwick is obviously a big one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the other movie that reminded me of is Edwoods Glenn or Glenda just in terms of like essay style format, and I tend to like movies like that, Like I think the other big movie that's like that to me, it's like Orson Wells f for fake. Yeah, I'm sure Edwood would love to be compared to Orson Wells, like just like in the movie. But uh yeah, because it's sort of like I don't know, just the way it's narrated and kind of broken down. So yeah, I saw its like glennar and Glenda plus plus Hedwig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could see that for sure. Again, Like the ip in this is hilarious. It is such a I don't know that in itself is such a middle finger to like modern filmmaking that I was on board from that first flash on the screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and literally and the one after it for Mom Angel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when they're leaning into it with artwork like this, and you know the it's literally Harley Quinn and the Joker and all this stuff very purple and green. Well.
Speaker 2: The other thing too that it does, Like the thing that's cool about the movie is that, like, for as off the Wall as it is, it nails. I felt like everything that it has to nail, it nails. And like having all these like an insane amount of Batman references, but also like referencing, you know, from saying for Mom and Joel Schumacher, like referencing all the stuff about Batman that would appeal more to queer people, like bat nipples. And but when they're like, I forget the Mom says it's like, you know about going to the city and it's going to be on neon and leather and whatever, they're like, Okay, great, that sounds great. But I mean, yeah, there was just it kept like it kept catching me off guard. That's that's that's the best some of the best comedy in it, because it would just catch you off guard, like suddenly, like Robert Wall who is in the first Batman, appears as himself and like she just called him on cameo and tried to get him in the movie Amazing, which, like I wonder, Yeah, it's just such a like, I don't know, druggy scrappy way to like who's on, Like we need stars in this thing. Who's on Cameo?
Speaker 1: They include the cameo video with the cameo logo and everything. It's so funny. It's so funny, you know, off just off the cuff. What what's like a recent movie or or just a favorite movie that you think Vera Drew could have done a killer version of.
Speaker 2: Hmm, that's an interesting question. Hmm.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, I almost think like the other movie that it kind of reminds me of is so I guess this answer. There's nothing wrong with Barbie. Barbie's great, Greta Gerwig's Barbie, I mean, is great, but it's it's kind of similar in that it's like play like it's just one hundred percent license and costs a ship ton more. But even the end of Sorry for people who haven't seen it, but like the end of People's Choker is a very similar It wraps up in a very similar way to Barbie, where it's like kind of a little DISX machina, Yeah, missus whatever her name is. But I think like something like, yeah, I don't know if Lena Dunham was gonna make Polly Pocket. I mean I don't want ver Drew to make this, like I said, Like I just I don't like I love that. Like you know when when Sean Baker won for Anura, he's like confirming, He's like, I'm not gonna make a big budget, right garbage movie for a studio. I'm indie for a life. And that's why, Like he is the coolest and that was the coolest thing, you know, So I don't know what about you, because like again, like I think like the scope could increase, like right now, just throw her some money right now.
Speaker 1: And the first thing I thought, and this is this is funny because it is like a complete one eighty from this film. And I don't even know for sure if you've seen this movie for sorry, so sorry if I spoil any of this here for you. I thought of this, and when you know, she's she's nailing the comedic tone of something that is really difficult for a lot of people. I would love to see a take like this because it's so personal and done in a narrative fashion of Charlotte Wells's Aftersun, which is a favorite of mine from the last couple of years, and to tell a story that you see our main character as a grown female sitting essentially on her couch reminiscing about her dad at the start of this film, and then to go through this tragic backstory of the like essentially this last trip that they had together, something that personal for Vera Drew, I feel like could be just very in line with this story, but the opposite end of the emotional spectrum, done in a way that means so much to somebody and yet hurts rather than makes you crack a joke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, did you ever see a Rabbit Hole by John Cameron Mitchell?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not yet.
Speaker 2: But that's like a really dark, dark drama that's like two movies after Hadwig nice and I mean it's it was good. It's like I don't want to go there. I don't want to go there again, so one one time watch. But that kind of yeah feels.
Speaker 1: I get it. Yeah, there's a lot of those movies that are great and I'm okay, I've never seen them again, totally fine. Yeah, People's Joker. Though highly recommended, I don't think it's like again, not like a masterpiece of cinema, but a unique and important entry into the twenty twenties. I think it's a movie that is going to stand the test of time in a really different way than we're used to seeing movies be essentially timeless. This is one that is so personal that it's there in perpetuity. Basically.
Speaker 2: I think that, Like, I saw a couple of knuckleheads. I can't remember their name, but I saw a lot of I was like, when I was looking up reviews of this, I saw some you know, I'm like, did the bad Thing where you're like her, what the haters say? And because because you just want to be like that's stupid and these I saw like one thing where people were talking about like, you know, they hated it. They were shitting on the shitting on the type of comedy. But then they were also like saying that, like, you know, if you want to do this kind of movie, why can't even be more like John Waters? Like John Waters made movie, makes movies for everybody, And I'm like, you are not remember, like you are misremembered. I was like, which which when are you talking about multiple maniacs ping flamingos, Like, I don't know, I think like people miss misremember that stuff, you know, especially after Like I'm sure, like that's all I want too is like for you know, Vera Drew later to have her hair spray and then eventually be an old woman on the cover of Good Housekeeping, just like John Waters.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that'd be great.
Speaker 2: I don't know, forget about forget about the haters, but.
Speaker 1: This was fun. This is something, you know, this is what I've wanted to watch ever since I got the Blue End from Diabolic when it went up from Altered Innocence. But again, shout out Frank Jaffey at Altered Innocence, who is choosing films that many many of these other distributors would never even take a chance on, and giving a shout out to films that are you know a lot of times like European and would play maybe one or two festivals here and never get a distributor and then never play again in the US ever and just die. And thanks to Frank, many of these are getting you know, released on to B they're getting physical releases, they're getting extras. Stuff that is important to archive. I mean a lot of these are just like the People's Joker, They are a personal to the director's story. This is the first story they've ever been able to make, and based on that, they're hoping to reach as many people as possible. And without Frank and working his ass off on these, who is essentially a one man show at Altered Innocence, He's killing it over there, absolutely killing it.
Speaker 2: Agreed. Oh, very very glad to get this release. It's an excellent release.
Speaker 1: I think that's it for the People's Joke or anything else. You want to share.
Speaker 2: One thing that was off topic that I was going to try to bring up sometime. Do you know about visions video?
Speaker 1: That sounds familiar? I can't plaice it though.
Speaker 2: So in this is one thing I wanted to let the people know about that, and just in general to be just like uplifting the good, interesting, cool shit. In Northampton, Massachusetts, we're from western mass We moved down to North Carolina while ago. In Northampton, mass there is a local art I think the dude who owns a local arcade is opening a video store. That took a lot to say. They're opening an actual video store and they have an account on Instagram. It seemed like perfect for to tell you about. I don't know why I'm I waited till this moment now because they seem like somebody you should probably have on your show. I don't know what their whole their whole board is like, but they're taking donations. They have a massed an incredible collection. If you look at it, there's they have vhs to like I think they had like some cinematograph releases. You know, they have like from vhs to four K and they're curating it and just people are that's again got to bring up will again. I'm like, God, will you have like ten thousand movies? Like, yeah, do you want to donate something to this place? I don't think, but like it's gonna be really cool, and I think again, it's just it's it's awesome to see a video store coming back. I know one of my friends, my friend Odie, who was here before, was like told me about this guy's idea a few years ago and I was like, that sounds too crazy, but it's happening, and it seems like the again like this and like this community, there's a lot of you know, everybody's like super into it and like helping out and it's gonna be amazing. I can't wait. I can't wait to visit it.
Speaker 1: So it is crazy right now that I think I'm aware of. I want to say, like three people in the process of opening up like boutique retailers or video stores or both or something. Night Al Video just opened up in New York City. Seems to be doing extremely well, like way better than they expected. Like they got a stack of via chess or VCRs the other day and sold out like within a couple hours of like six brand new or not brand new, but brand new to the store of things.
Speaker 2: Nice, ad you still here? Are you really? Are you really doing that? Are you really?
Speaker 1: They're part They're a part of it. Oh nice, so sweet, very nice. Yeah, So that's that's really cool. And speaking of, you know, trying to get them on my channel, one of these new boutique retailers is launching next month, so make sure you wait for We'll say Mother's Day, will be bringing you a present on this channel. I'll start teasing that. Now. There's there's so many cool things happening in this community and surrounding film and physical media. Still day to day in twenty twenty five. It's it's incredible, and one of those people adding to it is you. So thank you.
Speaker 2: Well, dude, you're the champ because honestly you were another one of those people. Man, I probably said to see you last time too, But like it's I've realized over the last year how much stuff is like actually attainable and doable. Like you're crazy, Like I said, you're crazy. I could never do this week after week after week after week. Like people need to like seriously commend you on how much hard work you do. But like I you know, when I saw you doing this, I was like I could get involved in this, and like I think that if there's like anybody, if there's anybody out there watching, you know, that's that's like part of what I did to go back to like Phantom Brother and extras and why I think that, Like I'm very happy with the extras on there is because like if they connect with one person, like the best extras I see are things that make me go, I'm getting like you know what, I'm getting involved, like and I'm hoping that the like small slice of people who buy shoe string slashers and then watch Phantom brother, and then want to know more about fandom brother, like I think, I think there's some inspiring stuff on there, but there's inspiring stuff everywhere. So yeah, as long as if people are open to it so.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, as usual, just like I did for John, if anybody has any questions or wants help with what to do, you know, next steps or some ideas, or pitch an idea and get some feedback on it. I pride myself and being super approachable, so if I can help you with anything, I will do my best too. John has been the same way for me. I can't say anything else about it, but here I don't know what it was. Two and a half weeks ago, I sprung something on John and Will at the same time that anybody else would have been like, huh, we can't do that. And we pulled something pretty incredible off in just a couple of days. And if it doesn't happen, I'm assuming that we'll be sharing it everywhere. But it was so cool to be able to just have fun and create something with you and Will.
Speaker 2: Well. I enjoyed it very much, and I'm definitely like, if I'm supposed to be doing something and somebody's like, can you do this like more fun creative thing for two days straight, I'm usually gonna say yes. That's part of the thing I've been saying yes. I've just been like in a the good kind, the good kind of yes man, Yeah, sure, yeah, I'll do it, and hopefully I actually can, but yeah, it's very fun.
Speaker 1: On that note, a in a sheer vulnerable moment, like the People's joker, for myself, I will shout out that one of the things that I was super worried about happening with my job happened this week, and I'm kind of worried about the immediate future for myself. So if you wanted to help support the channel, not trying to guilt trip anybody, but no, that would be a great time to join the Patreon jumping the discord. The link is the description below. It's a it's going to be an interesting time of flux or transition in multiple ways and in my life, and we'd love to having the discord to have conversations like this. I mean literally, while we were talking about some of this, I was discussing with somebody in the discord about something else, helping them with something else. So all of these conversations happen all day long, all night. I wake up quite often to literally like forty brand new messages from people just being cool with each other all night in the discord. It's like one of my literally my favorite community out there online. So check it out. We'd love to have you other stuff that you can get on the Patreon. I hope is worth it for a lot of people. I'm sending some stuff out this week to others and just doing my best to try to bring everybody together. That's the least I can do. So thank you, John, Thank you. This has been an incredible week, a conversation that I don't think I could have had with somebody else. I think that this was important, and I'm glad that it's on my channel and not somebody else's because I could be proud of that.
Speaker 2: Well cool again, like it is just good to watch the same movie as your friends. So thank you very much for checking that out. And I hope it's not a talked I don't think it's a talk to death movie, but then again, it's oh who knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this one is going to go under a lot of radars for some years and then probably have a pretty massive cult following. I would agree.
Speaker 2: I would agree.
Speaker 1: So on that note, get the People's Joker, have a good night, be safe, and we'll see you next Thursday with the Doctor himself and everybody. Remember next week till will happy late birthday, have a good weekend. We'll see you then. Thank you for watching The Disconnected. On the way out, make sure that you are subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this.
Speaker 2: Me unknown