Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Hot Damn.
Speaker 3: It is also going to be hot. It is an unusual warm for most of southern California. If I think, like I said, fourteen degrees above normal yesterday in downtown LA could be into the nineties and a few places by Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Really it's like sixty two degrees here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's the Bay areas.
Speaker 2: It is still fog cloudy. It's supposed to be. It's not foggy anymore right now. The fog is lifted.
Speaker 1: It was foggy this morning, but it's cloudy. I'll have seasonal effective disorder by Wednesday.
Speaker 3: By Wednesday, I give you by twelve forty five. What are you talking about? Well, we have a whole stack of terror and the Sky stories that we're going to get to here, and we also have mixtape Monday coming up at about twelve forty five. We're going to be talking about ROBERTA Flack of course, legendary, legendary soul singer died at the age of eighty eight. What else is going on? What's happening. Well, the weather here is nice and warm, but the Pacific Northwest is getting absolutely trashed in the next couple of days.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is gonna be a big test for you in your new run for governor there in Washington. You're gonna have to be the face of this storm, this atmospheric river. You're gonna have to get in front of the microphones downtown Seattle, preferably in front of that that statue in Belltown with the overturned umbrella, and you're gonna have to stand out there without a jacket in the rain, and you're gonna have to say, we are going to link arms as Seattle Lens, Seattle Strong, Seattle Lights, Seattle Strong, and we are going to brave these storms that we were built for Seattle.
Speaker 3: What if I just took a page out of Karen Bass's book and just waited until everything happened and.
Speaker 2: Then try You could go to Africa.
Speaker 3: Yes, I could do that. Damaging winds, they said between sixty and eighty miles an hour possible from Washington and Oregon, all the way inland to Montana in the Northern Rockies. The flood wash has been issued for Montana and Idaho because of the snow melt and the rain that they're expecting and in some of the highest elevations of the Northern Rockies, and avalanche warning has been issued for the rain and snow because that costs. Is the snowpack up there to be unstable eggs? Eggs?
Speaker 2: Eggs are going to cost? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is it different up in the Bay area than it is down here?
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny.
Speaker 1: I did buy eggs, but I wasn't paying it.
Speaker 2: Is that me?
Speaker 3: Is that you?
Speaker 2: What that was me? I won't click on that egg story anymore.
Speaker 1: So I can't figure out, because I'm not an engineer, how to hear because my head my laptop is going through the soundboard and my headphones are going through it. So if I want to turn down the computer, I'm also turning down down you, So I can't.
Speaker 2: I haven't figured out how to separate those two.
Speaker 3: I see what you're saying.
Speaker 1: But anyway, I did buy eggs up here, and I wasn't paying attention because you know, grocery shopping for the mother and I have other things on my mind, so I wasn't paying attention. But there was plenty of eggs. I will say that the whole thing was full.
Speaker 3: What we're going to see, by the way, is a whole influx of foreign eggs coming into the country. Turkey, for example, is going to export four hundred and twenty million eggs to the United States this year. That would be the most ever. Obviously, the number of egg producing chickens in our country is cut in half. I think something like that because of bird flu. We have to call the herds so that the bird flu doesn't kill all of them, doesn't kill all of them. We're trying to keep the ones we do have. My wife said she went to a couple or a farmer's market and a couple of different egg booths and they were wiped out, which is not that's not usual. A contain of a dozen large gray a eggs hasn't hit an average of four to ninety five last month.
Speaker 1: Four for a dozen, Well, I totally have paid like seven of a couple of weeks ago. Because there's this weird thing that happens when you think you can't have something, how you suddenly want that. It was like, if we're not gonna have eggs, and matter have eggs right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, to all it takes is one person to go. I couldn't find eggs, I know, and then everybody else eggs. I believe they didn't have a fifty pack of toilet paper.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I love stories like this where people are lost in the wild and then they're found. I just I can't get enough of them. There was a father and his twelve year old son that have been safely pulled from a narrow cliff ledge in southwestern Utah. They got lost and they survived off the contents of a backpack that was left behind by a previous hiker. They caught the dramatic rescue on video. The two were trapped overnight in Snow Canyon State Park last week. Rescue teams searched into the early morning, and then video shows a helicopter crew using night vision to spot the stranded pair on the cliff side. Rescuers repelled down, put the harnesses on the boy and his father, and hoisted them up.
Speaker 2: But yeah, what a twist of fate that they.
Speaker 1: Were able to find this backpack left behind by somebody else in the same area. Inside the backpack food, water, emergency blankets. That is insane. I mean, that is God right there. Someone else by the way, the backpack.
Speaker 3: They found out who it belonged to was a fifteen year old kid, Levi Dittman, in that same area. He got stuck in the same area in January and had to get rid of his bag, and he thought everything just went to waste, like kiss that one goodbye. And they said, I'm really glad it could help, because that's what the pack was intended for, as sort of an emergency kit in the event that something went wrong.
Speaker 1: Right toxic, I mean, but don't you think the father should have had that kind of stuff with him if he's taking his son hiking.
Speaker 3: Hey listen, I wasn't gonna I wasn't gonna judge.
Speaker 2: I did I will.
Speaker 1: Hey listen, I am in the house of judgment. I will jump to judge.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, you're saying that your mom's house is a house of judgment.
Speaker 2: Huh No, I didn't say that.
Speaker 3: Let me text her real quick. And that's going on up in old's room up there.
Speaker 1: Everything's great, Starbucks is getting rid of drinks?
Speaker 2: What uh?
Speaker 3: Which which ones? Because I'm not sure that this is that this makes Oh, I.
Speaker 2: Have a list I have Oh this is you know what.
Speaker 1: I don't even want to break this news to people because it's like, I don't want them to kill the messenger. This. Here's the list of the Starbucks drinks getting the acts. Pull over, sit down, do whatever you have to do. Iced Macha lemonade frappuccino, Cafe vanilla frappuccino, white chocolate mocha frappuccino.
Speaker 3: That one makes me the most upset.
Speaker 2: I know, it's freaking delicious.
Speaker 3: It's the best one on the menu.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've never met a frappuccino I didn't enjoy, but that's definitely near the top of the list. Java chip frappuccino, Chi cream frappuccino, caramel ribbon crunch crumb frappuccino, double chocolate chip crumb frappuccino, which I didn't even know existed, Chocolate cookie crumble crumb frappuccino. I never met you either, white chocolate cream frappuccino, white hot chocolate, Royal English Breakfast latte, and honey almond milk flat white. That whoever drinks a honey almond milk flat white, I already.
Speaker 2: Want to punch you in the face. And I never met you either.
Speaker 3: Are they saying that they're gonna take them off the menu, or that you just you can't ever order those again.
Speaker 2: It's just a slim down menu.
Speaker 1: I mean, there might be a wink wink, nod nod Starbucks employee that's willing to make those for you. I mean, I'm sure they have the accreut chum to do that, but I don't know. They're just not on the menu. By the way, is there anything less sexy than a grown man going into a Starbucks with an order like honey almond milk flat white? Is there anything that makes you not want to have a baby more than hearing.
Speaker 3: That dudes they're not dudes anymore. My buddy and I were talking about that as we were driving. I mean, you know, you burp and fart and you spit some flower seeds all six hour drive and then you get out of you get out of the truck and you walking around people with skinny little legs and fanny packs, And.
Speaker 1: Do you guys fart together in the car or is it just kind of like you can fart and nobody talks about it. Yes, you see, you fart, nobody talks about it.
Speaker 2: Is it audible or is it silent?
Speaker 3: It depends. It depends depends on how deep into the weekend you are.
Speaker 1: Does it depends on the person or the time, or what you aid or like? Are you just always a silent farterer? Or do sometimes you're vocal about it?
Speaker 3: Vocal?
Speaker 2: I mean, is your butt vocal?
Speaker 1: I guess I should say, is it loud to sometimes you produce noises?
Speaker 2: Do you do that in front of your wife?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, good?
Speaker 1: But you do that in front of your friends? If I have to in the car with the windows up.
Speaker 3: Why would I leave the windows up?
Speaker 2: Okay? Good?
Speaker 3: That's usually the indication that someone has cracked is that I feel.
Speaker 1: Like we're not even friends because you've never done that in front of me. Yes, I thought we are friends, but I guess we're not.
Speaker 3: I just can't crack these windows.
Speaker 1: Wait, you have, but you've done the silent ones and I haven't known.
Speaker 3: It just wailed on you and you have no idea. You just have no ideas glistfully ignorant. You got to put more effort into it. Oh, you've never seen me close my eyes.
Speaker 1: So proud. Now we have a lot of terror in the skies. Uh, It's it's getting crazy out there. It seems like and maybe it's one of those things of because we have had a couple stories in the news like the Delta plane line landing upside down, or not landing upside down, but turning upside down upon landing, things like that. Maybe we're hearing more about these stories, but it doesn't feel like that. It just feels like it's getting diceier up there.
Speaker 3: It's time for terror the sky.
Speaker 2: Or data.
Speaker 3: Roger, get off my plane, Roger Rogers. What's our vector? Victor?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 3: Is I have handed with these mucky pine snakes on this money. It's Gary and Shannon's Terror in the skies on k FO. I think I put him just so you know, I think I put him in uh in chronological order to go through them, because there's there were a couple that happened just yesterday in today. But the first one is that mentioning that Delta plane that flipped over upon landing there in Toronto. At least two passengers have filed lawsuits against Delta. What they just said, I think they said negligence was the reason. Texas resident Marthinis Larens claims that he was drenched with jet fuel as the plane rolled upside down. He was drenched with jet fuel in a burning plane, and when he unbelted, he fell to the ceiling and the upside down plane and had to assist opening the cabin door as the flight attendant could not open It said that he suffered significant injuries to his head, his neck, his back, his knees, his face, all of it as a result of the plane crash from the other day. Another lawsuit was from a guy from Minneapolis, sorry a woman from Minneapolis, who claimed that because of the flight crew's gross negligence and recklessness and inadequate training and supervision by Delta, that it was a preventable accident.
Speaker 1: If I and upside down on a plane after a flight and I am safe and covered in jet fuel, I am so delighted to be covered in jet fuel. And I know that's not the way the world works. And they've got all this money, and if you've got money coming to you, the lawyers will tell you then you should realize that you have become you are aggrieved, and you have gone through this traumatic thing and in they're negligent. It's horrible, but I'm still in the jumping for joy that I'm still a live phase a couple of days after that happened. But I understand that's not how lawsuits how they work out.
Speaker 3: And how are you not going to get sued by all seventy six passengers and maybe a couple of crew members on there.
Speaker 2: You just need a few to get the ball rolling, I guess.
Speaker 3: And then everybody joins in. I assume so that the Transportation Safety Board of Canada is investigating. We do have a team of NTSB investigators who are helping out, but they say a cause has not been determined. I have a friend, he is a pilot, and he saw his.
Speaker 2: Name rhymes with Schmandy.
Speaker 3: And he and I were talking about it last week and it was just like, how could you not see that video of this plane coming in real hot, that angle of descent on that plane was real quick, and not imagine that something out Now, maybe there was a last minute health issue with the pilot or COPO.
Speaker 2: Looked pretty young and healthy to me.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen any pictures yet, So.
Speaker 2: No Delta has more problems.
Speaker 1: They have had another incident out of Atlanta, smoke and hayese in the cabin on.
Speaker 2: Two separate flights.
Speaker 1: A Delta flight eight seventy six was forced to return to Atlanta this morning because of Hayes inside the aircraft.
Speaker 2: There is video circulating.
Speaker 1: According to Delta, the flight crew followed procedures, declared an emergency the whole bit.
Speaker 2: They returned to Atlanta. So it wasn't a thing.
Speaker 1: But that can be troubling, right your playing starts filling up with smoke. But that landed, no harm, no foul. We don't really know what the deal was, why that happened.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of stuff that can smoke. There was another flight flight that was going to head to I think it was Hawaii, turn around after an hour and a half in and had to come back.
Speaker 1: A couple of California flights to Hawaii were delayed by air traffic control outages.
Speaker 3: Just wrapped up that news conference between French President and Manuel Markron and President Trump at the White House, first official visit of the French president here he has said that Trump says that he's hopeful that the war in Ukraine is nearing an end game. He did say that he would rather start with a ceasefire and then move on to a full piece deal at some point. Trump did say that he hopes this can end within a few weeks, and that Ukrainian Presidents Lenski will soon be coming to the United States to sign a deal to give the US access to the critical minerals to help repay some of the one hundred and eighty billion dollars that Americans have sent that way. To Keith, this.
Speaker 2: House is pretty cold.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie to you now. I don't want my mom to turn the heater on on my account. And also I'm doing it out of solidarity with you, because i know the studio's ice.
Speaker 2: So I just want you to know you were not.
Speaker 3: You started the show by telling everybody how underdressed you were.
Speaker 1: I didn't mean like underdressed in terms of like I had a lot of layers on. I just was not wearing clothes. I'd be go out in public and I was wearing like sweats and you know my lama fuzzy socks, and I'm actually a big sherpa type. I felt like a sheep. It's like it's like the old Snuggies. This one's like a cream colored, heavily knitted type thing. It's just got holes for your arms and it's this big tent like extravagance. It's very warm and you feel like a sheep. I was wearing that for most of the show.
Speaker 3: So we're just giving up.
Speaker 2: Now. Hey, it was old.
Speaker 1: All right, I've since put on pants. Jacob talked to me into pants. He's like, your relationship, put on pants.
Speaker 2: It's noon.
Speaker 1: I was like, all right, so I've gotten it together. I put makeup on, I put on pants and clothes that.
Speaker 3: I could be seen in public in case you have to go out right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it's twelve thirty for crying out loud.
Speaker 3: Be different. Be different if you were in a different time zone and you're like, you know, it's only nine thirty Hawaii time.
Speaker 1: No, No, you're still here by Thursday. I'm not my feet up smoking a cigarette. It's going to be I'll be in a robe. Speaking of Hawaii, it's where we continue our terror in the skies. Several flights we did that, so silly, right, version, Okay, do you want to do more?
Speaker 2: We don't want to be gratuitous.
Speaker 1: Several flights to Hawaii from the Bay Area and other areas delayed diverted Saturday evening because of what they're calling a major air traffic control issue. This is a spokesperson for United, the largest carrier out of SFO, and said, yeah, there were significant disruptions when there was an hour long outage which impacted airspace coordination over the Pacific. I mean you know this, when you go to Hawaii, everything has to be tip top with your plane. There has to be no problems. Everything has to be working in the best order possible because there's nowhere to stop should.
Speaker 2: Something go wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not tog Chesley. Sellenberger's not flying every plane over the over the Pacific.
Speaker 2: Listen to this one. One of the effective flights.
Speaker 1: United Flights sixteen eighty four departed from SFO at six thirty four pm to Lahui on Kawhi, forced to make four circular turns before returning to SFO at eight forty six pm, more than two hours after you took up from SFO. Imagine you've got like your three kids with you, You're going to Oh that's a nightmare. I know, I know, I know, man.
Speaker 2: So I didn't make any of those things.
Speaker 3: The specific problem was the Oakland Oceanic Air Traffic Control Center, a failure of the a top system, which is advanced technologies and Oceanic procedures. Talks brings in all information about any airplane over the Pacific Ocean airspace helps air traffic controllers safely manage the flow of flights. This outage of that a top system required these planes to they say, hold at the boundaries of the Oakland Pacific Control Region, which led to delays across those several flights. And listen that that technology is twenty years old, but it replaced two thousand and four. Yeah, that replaced even older technology.
Speaker 2: Tell me about the cocaine so.
Speaker 3: British tourists lost his cool while he's going through airport security. This guy had flown from Shanghai into Pouquet in Thailand. When vicious officers pulled the forty two year old Mark Wharton aside, he reacted the way you would if you had a bunch of cocaine in your pocket. He threw a fit, threw a tantrum. That's not how I would have acted, rampage through the hall before he fell on the ground. The alleged deployed to distract the officers backfired when about four grams of cocaine fell out of his pocket. Well, he continued rolling on the ground, dusting the floor with a trail of white powder. He laid on his back and he frantically beat his chest and was pleading for help. During the incident, he kicked his legs up in the air while crying in panic that he was about to die. They don't like it in Thailand when you bring drugs in.
Speaker 1: When I went to Thailand, I didn't bring any drugs that I remember.
Speaker 3: You just got them while you were there.
Speaker 2: I may have had some xanax on me, but nothing. None of the.
Speaker 3: Hearts, none of the hard stuff. There was also a fire. This one doesn't count as in the air because it was in the terminal, but Atlantic Hartsfield Jackson International Airport people kicking and punching each other right outside the boarding gate. For guess which airline?
Speaker 1: Delta Nope, United Nope, Ryanair Nope, nope.
Speaker 3: Southwest Nope. What airports Atlanta, Hartsfield Jackson, American Spirit Airlines. Dozens of travelers got into this fight.
Speaker 2: How many airlines shall we name?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's the other thing I noticed in Goodyear, Arizona, where the guardians in the Red share a facility, and I went to that game yesterday. As you pull into that with their ballpark, facility, big flat. They have dozens. I mean they don't. There are dozens of airliners parked out there in the desert, and the majority of the ones that I saw were the big, bright yellow Spirit Airlines airplanes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, in a pinch, what do you want? It's not the Rits. Just get on the plane and get your destination.
Speaker 3: Does not. And then the most serious of all of these was an American Airlines flight from New York to New Delhi, landed in Rome yesterday afternoon. It had been diverted because of a security concern, which later proved to be non credible. The airline didn't elaborate, but apparently this was a bomb threat sent by email.
Speaker 2: It's my bucket list.
Speaker 1: It's on my bucket list to be on a flight where fighter jets escort it. I know it's not good news when that happens, but I really want to look out my window and see that fighter jet right off the wing.
Speaker 2: I think that'd be very cool.
Speaker 3: You would evacuate your bowels if you saw fire.
Speaker 1: I don't think my bowels work the way you think they work. I don't have that reaction to being freaked out I don't just crap my pants all the time like you do with your friend in the car on.
Speaker 2: The way to watch baseball.
Speaker 3: That's exactly not what happened. But I appreciate that you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio LAP