Speaker 1: Oh there we go, big two hour show today, Fred Rogan Rodney Peak on. I am five to seventy l a sports Rodney. How are you? I am very very very good. Fred, had a good weekend? How about yourself? All good, all fun? Everything ready to go? Here is we count down to Tokyo? Count down to Tokyo. That's right, Rodger's opening in Tokyo. Yes, yes, yes, y'very exciting times. And I love the fact that they are. You know, they're gonna celebrate that that Tokyo trip and allow Yabamoto and Sazaki to go and and throw those games. It's just it's very cool. I can only imagine what that atmosphere is gonna be like when those two guys are on the mound and Otani comes up the plate. It's gonna be great, it really is. I'm so excited to be going. Uh, you know, it's a bucket list thing. Yeah, and we just said we're gonna go, do it, do it, We're gonna go. Yeah, Yeah, I agree, I agree. We'll see you there. Yeah, it's gonna be fun. That'll be a fun week. And uh, will we be doing reports? Probably not. There's a little bit of a time difference over there is gonna be a little bit different do reports. But even still, Fred, I think I think the Kobe beef and the sak and and all the things in between are going to affect our reporting on that trip. You know, I'm just thinking, No, isn't it like three in the morning there now something like that? Yeah? Yeah, it's uh yeah, I think it's like exactly around that time. Oh, because that's it's difficult. I mean, as y'all know, I'm talking about it a lot. My son lives there, so you know, to get a hold of him and it talked to him on a regular basis, it's difficult. It's actually five five o'clock in the morning there, five five am. So here's the deal. And if you're willing to do this, so you let me know. We can get up at five am and do the show from there. We can get up at five am and do it. Do you want to do that? Yes? Or no? No? Okay, all right, well no we not. Oh we can get up and you know at six red and do a one o'clock report. Here, we can do that just calling with a one o'clock report. See you threw it out there. Now we're gonna get calls after the show. Hey, hey, guys, make sure you make sure you bring your equipment and make sure you are ready to go, because we're going to do that great idea. Fred. Well, here's the thing, and since you brought it up, I'll just say it was Rodney's idea. Called Rodney and he's all over. But anyway, it is going to be a fun time and looking forward to that, all right. So let's get to the Lakers, and they beat the Clippers again last night. The Lakers are just red hot. They are on fire, and they were on fire before they got Luca. But let's be honest, since they've gotten him, there's a little more, a little more coming out of the afterburners. They are fun to watch. I have to be on I love watching Luca Dodgers. I just love watching them. I think it is really entertaining to watch this guy play. There was a point in time in the game he hit a three and he counted on his fingers one, two, three. Normally I don't like guys that complain to the referees. For whatever reason, I like this, and it might be it might be the our guy syndrome, you know, the our guy sent might be it is the ur guy syndrome. Of course it is read anybody does that against the Lakers or against one of our LA teams. You can't stand that guy. Why is he doing that? He's a show off, he's a distant Why is this guy always whining with a when there's a call against him, Go play basketball? That's what you'd be saying if he was wearing another jersey. But the fact that he's wearing a Laker jersey, it's all good. I love it, right, it's great when he when he's our guy, and that's what people think. You know, something you can't stand that a guy does with another team. What he becomes our guy, it's great, it's wonderful. He's got a point. Granted he winds after a seventy five percent of the place, but he's got a point. I get it now because he's our guy. If he was playing for Dallas, we'd hate it. But no, this honeymoon period, everything is great. I think it's just so much fun to watch. And if you last night against the Clippers, a couple of times Clippers shoot rebound, Luca grabs it, bam down to Lebron dunk layup, I mean, these guys are so good and they've never really played together, but Lebron is allowing him to be him. It's like they've played together for years because that's how good they are. It's just fun to watch him, it really is. There was a period of time a couple of years back, the Lakers had a better record, but the Clippers were more fun to watch, and I said that on the air. I said, if I could pick one team to watch, it'd be the Clippers because they were more fun. Now, the team that is the most fun to watch has not only the best record in the city, but most the best record in the in the conference. So it's just all coming together. Clippers made cut it down again at the end. So this has happened now more than once Lakers grab that lead, the opponent comes back, chops that lead, and the Lakers hold on. Clippers made a run late, the Lakers held on again. Do you realize, Fred, I mean that the Lakers now are the number two seed in the West, And and do you also realize that less than two weeks ago you were ready to get rid of Lebron and move on and and just move on from this whole thing, going on and we talked about if the Lakers can make a run at the Western Conference Final, what would you do? Would you try to keep them? And there was suggested that you know, they weren't going to be able to make a deep run, and let's just let's just rip it up and let it start all over with Luca. That was about two weeks ago, Fred, And now what you're feeling about keeping Lebron in his tandem together because they are playing well. Oh, I think this. We have to see how far they can go. We have to see what they can do right now. And it's sort of like the Dodgers were. The Dodgers hit their stride at the right time last season, and the Lakers are hitting theirs at the right time now. You know, it doesn't matter if you come out of the blocks and win every game. The law of averages will catch up with you. You're only going to be so good. But you've got to be hot when you need to be hot. You have to have momentum when you need momentum. I think the acquisition of Donjets gave the Lakers momentum just by virtue of the fact that he showed up and they were already playing much better. Now we'll see what happens. Now, we'll see if they have enough. Now, we'll see if Jackson Hayes can be the guy long term during this run. Does he have enough? Because as you keep going, it's going to get harder. I mean, and then when you get to the East, you'll see Boston maybe or Cleveland. And Cleveland is enormous. But I think Luca does so much that can take anybody out of their game just because of the way he is now. I think it'll be interesting, I really do. And it's all because they made that trade. Going to the Laker game now is you're going to see the Lakers. Before that, you were going to see Lebron because that was it. You got to see Lebron play again. A great thing. But that team wasn't gonna win. This team really has a shot to win. And I wonder for the back of their minds sitting in Dallas, maybe too soon, maybe a little bit too sopid. Kevin, you remember two weeks ago, he was like this, you know they'll be all right, They're not gonna get to the you know they're not gonna go deep into playoffs. Well, there's no chance for that, but you know, we vamp it. But they're not gonna They're not gonna do much this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the take was it infuses life into the franchise for the future. But the future is now and needs to start now. Right, They're likely not going to do much this year, even if they make a deep run into the postseason.
Speaker 3: You need to get rid of Lebron James.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Granted, Fred, you did him in that take last week. I'll give you credit for that, although should I give you credit considering that it's smacking you right in the face right now?
Speaker 3: You sound like a moron if you stayed on top of that, kept with that take. So I mean you kind of you kind of were forced.
Speaker 1: You did change did change your tune? Yes, yeah, they got to give you that, Fred, You weren't you weren't dead set on on This is a disaster and it can't continue like this, and they need they needed to totally give the car keys and the whole car over to Luca and let's just move on. Well, eventually they're going to have to do that. Anyways, just one now, when are they going to do it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, which would never argue, Just why do you have to do it. Now, that's because I ugainst them.
Speaker 1: Did you really think it was going to work this well, See, my concern all along was they didn't have a center. That was my concern.
Speaker 2: Well, we thought he made the Mark Williams trade. I mean this was even before the Mark Williams trade even came down the pipeline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I knew that was going to happen.
Speaker 3: Sure, of course you did.
Speaker 1: I knew that was going to happen, right, I knew one hundred percent that was gonna happen. And then it was going to be rejected. Yeah, No, I just I was looking at the way they were rolling Fred before Lucas. But I didn't think Rodney, even when they were rolling, they could win it. I really didn't. Yeah, but I didn't think even after the trade, you didn't think they could win it. Well, yeah, but then we started to see him play and you're going, oh God, these guys can play together and they can play well and you can't stop both of them. So I mean, we'll see, Yeah, we'll see. When it comes to Lebron, if you got a chance to win a title, then he stays and if you look at it and go, no matter what we do with the two of them. It doesn't work, then you build for the future. That's it. The goals to win titles here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and no one argued that, Fred, But the argument was, with Lebron and Luca together, there's a chance this they could really work out well, and if it does, they can't compete for a title. So if that is the case, why would you get rid of Lebron? I think that was the question people were asking.
Speaker 1: And the point is this, if they can win a title, great, But I think what did we say they got to go to the fight? I can't remember.
Speaker 3: Well, we just Briany and I threw out a hypothetical.
Speaker 2: If they make it to the conference finals and don't win, do you still blow it up? And I believe at the time your response was still yes, because you didn't win a championship. It's like, well, only one team wins. You're knocking on the door. Why not running back in the offseason and try to bring guys in to help them get over the hump as opposed to trading Lebron and blowing it up?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, I mean, now, if you trade Lebron or he doesn't we signed.
Speaker 3: He wouldn't opt out. You wouldn't trade, it'd opt out.
Speaker 1: Right, right, right right? Yeah, And you're not getting this, you're not really you're not really blowing it up. Yeah, but you're not. You're you're not. They're not doing as much as Luca and everybody's on the hype train with with Luca, much as that is, they're not in this position without Lebron, and they're not in this position without, you know, obviously, both of them playing together. So technically, yeah, you're taking a step back if you get rid of Lebron or he opts out and decide, Okay, we're going to bring somebody else in or two guys in. It's taking a step back from what they're doing right now. You think those people in Dallas have even had a resonate yet that, God, maybe we made a mistake. Is it too soon for them to say that? Yeah, they're I mean, he's hearing it all obviously, but I think they're they're they're banking on just wait and see, just wait and see. You'll see what I was. You'll see what we see and we saw and it looks good right now. But eventually you'll know why we made a decision we did That's what I think they're really thinking. Deep down inside, it's like, Okay, enjoy it, enjoy it, Why it last? Right now? But eventually you'll come to realize what we did. And how long do you think that'll have to take to happen? What five years? In five years you'll realize what we did? Well, that's five years. You'll watch five years old. Who knows? Who knows? I mean, they're on a run now, and it's high and everybody's high five and but it could it could go on at eight game skid here in a second, and it happens all the time, and or or or Luca get re injured the calf, or you know, just something happens and you just never know. It's unpredictable. And and so I think that they're embarrassed right now, Yeah, certainly, But I think deep down inside they're like, Okay, it's just like again, Joey, enjoy it? Why last? And and and and I'm not talking five years. I'm saying they're looking at it going, Okay, we'll see how it plays out at the end of the season in the playoffs. Oh no, that that will be a losing proposition for them. It's not going to play out poorly this year. It's gonna take you know, the playoff.
Speaker 2: Well, the only way they win is if they win a championship. Because you were any you were in the NBA finals last year. So however long this run with Anthony Davis goes for them. If they don't win a championship, it is a complete abject film. You're for them, regardless of what happens with Luca.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I Lakers. If the Lakers get bounced in the first round after moving up to get to be the second seed in the West, and they get bounced in the first round, it'll be it'll be some satisfaction for them as well. Can look up and go they can look up and go, well, you know that. Yeah, it was a it was a it was a trade that we we did for obviously off the court reasons, and then we didn't have we didn't really have Anthony Davis. And so get them a full off season and get going and then we'll make the assessment of whether the full trade worked. But you know, at this season, at this juncture, they're they're looking at it as we're at a disadvantage because our guy that we traded for is not is not playing, but that's who they traded for. They got to live with that, absolutely, But I don't know if they got to win a title to say it was a it was satisfaction. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Nico Harrison said defense wins championships and that's the reason why we're making this move.
Speaker 3: That's out of his own mouth.
Speaker 2: So you were knocking on the door of a championship last year and traded the head of the snake away for Anthony Davis, who's a great player when he's healthy, but right now he's not. So if you don't, how else do you measure it as other than anything as a failure if they don't win a championship when you said your stated goal was to win one and you actually you actually made it to the finals with Luca last year.
Speaker 1: Do teams consider Jersey sales, marketing opportunities, things like that. Do you think that factor's into their decision when they make a move. Have you seen Running Point on Netflix. I've not watched it, but I heard it's pretty good.
Speaker 3: I've started watching it.
Speaker 1: I watched it. Yeah, yeah, And Kate Hudson, who I think the character is based on Jennie, but.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely, yes.
Speaker 2: I mean Genie and Linda web Rambis I think are executive producer.
Speaker 1: They had they handpicked it. They hand picked Kate Hudson for that role. Yeah, there was a point where they were talking about spawn ships and Kate Hudson. You know, when you were talking about trading players getting sponsors. That factored into their thinking. That money factored into their thinking. So I'm wondering, if you're Dallas and you have Luka Doncic and you know he is a marketing machine for them, you know that jersey sales things like that, did that even enter in to their thought process? Because I got to be honest, with all due respect to Anthony Davis, who was a very good player and people loved him here, I think Luca's going to sell more jerseys than ad. Yeah. I think, in fact, there's anfred, But I don't think it's the It's the thing that ultimately makes it and drives the decision. You think of all the great players that have been traded from places before. You think of you know, Brett farre getting out of Green Bay and his jerseys were through the roof Sakwan Barkley in New York. Nobody bought a jersey unless it was number twenty six for the Giants. So, you know, I think it's a factor, and it's something that they talk about, but I don't think it's a deciding factor at the end of the day that they said, well, Lucas sells so many jerseys, we can't trade him. And let's forget about all the other stuff. All right, the battles in Arizona. Who's in, who's out? We'll talk about that next. Oh ha, Yeah, it's some money. Excuse me, it's a Monday because I get money. I'm a star. That's what Fred always tells him. I'm a star. Give me that money, Rodney p Fred Rogan on a Monday. Let's go. Okay, we have talked about this, and now the Dodgers are getting close to having to make some decisions. What do you do with a roster? Who's in, who's out? What are the sponsors are still available? Well, let's look at some of the guys who are battling. First. Chris Taylor's battling. He's gonna make seventeen million dollars this year. He's not going anywhere. He will make the roster. Dave Roberts did say, I don't really look at their hitting averages and things during the spring. I'd prefer to look at it track record. All right, Well, Chris Taylor has a track record, some of it pretty good and others a little shaky. Nonetheless, looks like Chris Taylor is going to be there somewhere. We know Key k Hernandez is going to be there, obviously they just resigned him. We know Mickey Rojas will be there, so now where are we? Where are we? Kim the second baseman, will probably go to the miners because he can't hit. I looked over the weekend. He's hitting seventy one for the spring, so they have to teach him to hit big league pitching. He can play defense, but he can't hit, so they got to teach him. He don't throw it out like that. He can't hit. He just got it. There's an adjustment phase that he has to deal with, and yeah, it's going to take time. But I wouldn't say the kid can't hit, you know what I mean? His first time facing major league pitching. I don't care who you are, it's going to be difficult. It's going to be a slow start for you. Let's not label any guy can't hit, Come on, let's not do that. Let's not do that. Fred, Okay, anyway, he really doesn't hit very well. So given that he doesn't hit very well, uh, they are gonna probably start him in the miners. That means who's gonna play second base? Well, you have a number of options you have. Key k can play second base, Chris Taylor could play second base, Tommy Edman could play second base. He's gonna be in the lineup every day, all right, So now if there's somewhere, yeah, he's in. So now if the Biggie Rojas can play shortstop or second base, be honest with you, even if he did to throw him at second base because of an emergency, Miggy Ross could be a very very formidable second basement. Okay, So who's gonna be on the roster too? One spot? Now? Who is it? Who's the guy piz? Because really I don't know, Yeah, that's the question. Who is it? Pi Haz? You got one spot on the roster. So the eliminated outman's going to be on the roster. Well, I think pi Haz beats out outmen. Yeah, and even though Dave doesn't really look at spring training numbers. Outmen's not killing the ball this spring. So and if you're looking at track record, being paramount, Pie has had a better track record than Outmen's. So I think Pi Haz makes it. If that's the case, that's how it all shakes out. And then you've got to look at the pitching staff. Is Landon not going to be there or not? Who might be there? If he's not Ben Casparrius, what happens to him? So those are some of the decisions Rodney, they're trying to figure out. As for Freddie Freeman, slow and steady wins the race. I got to tell you I was thinking about this earlier, and I don't want people to, you know, think, oh my god, what are you saying. But to be honest with you, I don't know if the Dodgers start the season like a ball of fire. To be very honest with you, I mean, if you think, well, they have this incredible roster, they're gonna win fifteen games in a row, I don't think that's gonna happen. It doesn't really matter if it does or doesn't, by the way, because it's a long term play. But I don't see them. I mean, Freddie Freeman's got to get back. O Tany's got to get back. Guys are working themselves into shape. The bullpen won't be completely healthy, So I don't know. I don't think they lower ten in a row. Lower your expectations for April in May? Is that what you're saying. Well, I've said all along. To me, the regular terrible to say. Regular season is not gonna mean much. It's you gotta win the division to get to the playoffs. I think they'll do that, but I just can't see them. I mean, there's too much that has to be done. And I also think they'll be an inordinate amount of pressure on the team because of the players they've signed, because of the money they I don't think the guys are going to react to that at all. Quite honestly, I don't think the organization is going to react to that. But I think the externally, all of that pressure will be on them. I don't think they're going to react to it at all. Though, No, they're not going to react to you. They're not going to react to it at all. And and then, and like you said, at the end of the day, it is about, you know, the playoffs. But suggesting that regular season doesn't matter. I don't. I don't buy that because I think it does. I think it matters. I think it matters, and I think there's a a level of success you want to continue to have throughout the regular season so it can it can build that momentum going into the playoffs. So I think if you you know you're you're always up and down and struggling in the regular season and think that it's going to turn on and in the postseason, that doesn't usually happen. So I think there's got to be a very high level of success in the regular season because also you want to put that pressure on everybody else. Everybody else is believing the Dodgers is gonna run away with everything, right. They believe the Dodgers are so stacked that wire to wire, they're going to be the best team in baseball, they're gonna be the best record, they're gonna have, you know, three or four guys, and the tops of all the categories. Offensively, you the pitching staff is going to be tops in Major League Baseball and all of the categories. That's when most people believe, and I think there's a level of proving that right in the regular season, I think there's a level of yeah, we are that good, and when you face us, you will find out how good we are. You don't want to give teams like Arizona and the Padres and the Giants and even you know, the other may be other contenders, you know, the Phillies and the Mets or anybody else any life, to feel like there's so many chinks in that armor throughout the regular season that we figure out we can beat them. And it's not because it's not easy just turn it on in the postseason. You got to make them pay. You got to make people when they come into Dodger Stadium knowing it's a tall order, beat this team and the lineup that we talked about at the beginning of the season, that is murderer's row. And I don't care if it's April. I don't care if it's you know, July and the dog days of summer or October. That lineup, that team is a mother you know what to beat. And you got to put that fear in everybody's heart throughout the entire season that they they step on the field in October and they got no chance, no chance to win, not a team that goes, you know, ninety and seventy two and you know, gets beaten several series by teams that are inferior, and then you know, figure out a way to try to turn it on in October. No, you got to dominate the regular season. That makes that makes a statement, and makes it and puts it in other team's minds that this team is the real deal and it's going to take a dog fight to beat them in a seven game series. We got to play our best every single game. And we've seen them when they have run the table. We've seen them when they've had the best record in the National League, and we've seen what happens. We've seen them when they were just cruising and murdered everybody, and then they get to the playoffs and lose. So I think the big picture here for me is a little different. Everybody knows the goal, and let's not say you would you would approach it any different. They're not saying, oh goud, we should have those those those years, we should have lost more games and not done that. No, you go out and you try to dominate those games d in the regular season too. I don't care if you end up short because you didn't. You know, you weren't as hot as some other teams, but that does not stop you from going out and trying to dominate the regular season. Fret I got it. But Nikola even said last year, know this team is different. It's gone through some adversity. It's going through adversity. I don't care how good you are, but that comes. You don't manufacture that. That comes and as it comes. I don't worry too much about stuff. I don't be what what? I don't mean that? Did you just hear that? He said, I don't worry about something? When net Clotti comes on here and said he's worried about you calling him at two am because you're sitting up and you can't go to sleep. Are you carried? Are you kidding me? You know you don't worry about stuff?
Speaker 3: Oh man, mister panic meter check over here.
Speaker 1: Panic meter check, both of you be fair? Did I do that last season? No? I didn't. That was the first season you really didn't do that?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 1: That is the season of record? Now, I mean that's our most recent season to judge by. No. I mean I I thought last year was a learning experience for everybody, especially me and I knew it all along. I said, no, they're too good that they've got. They gotta win. They gotta win. I'm not a panic. And this year, if they come out and they're a little dinged up to start and guys are getting themselves back into shape and they don't want a couple of games, I'm not gonna say anything. I'm just like, well, Okay, there's a bigger plan in place here. There's there's a script here. Now there are human beings. I don't know if it would go per script, but there is a plan. Get everybody healthy, get o'chani on the mound, let's get Sazaki settled. I don't think it's gonna be uh, you know, any bowl of roses with Sazaki or either. I think he's gonna have to learn as Yamamoto did. He's gonna have to learn. You know. It's Canfordo gonna hit? I don't know he should. He would be considered in fantasy baseball a sleeper. Is he gonna hit? Well, we'll find out. We just don't know when. Is Freddie Freeman gonna be one hundred percent? I don't know is he gonna be one hundred percent? We found out Will Smith had a bad ankle starting back in junior July and played the rest of the season with it is you watch you went? What's wrong with him? He's not hitting like he used to. He was hurt. He was hurt for months. Is he going to be one hundred percent to start? I don't know, but I know as the season progresses, everybody's going to get to where they're supposed to be. You do, Yeah, how do you know? He didn't know? Will Smith had an injury last year? He asked, what was wrong with him? So he didn't know that? No? You know? You say, you know people are going to get to one hundred percent? You don't know that? No, I said, did you know the fifty staff was going to take the injury hit that they took last year? No, you didn't know that. No. Can you sit there? Hey, you sit there and say, you know, I know they're going to hit their stride. I know they're going to do this, and I know that. You don't. You don't. What do you think about? What do you think they'll be hitting their stride? I don't have a crystal ball, Fred. If I did, I'd be in Vegas right now. I would be there on the craps table, knowing that I can throw a hard twelve and call it a day and bet everything in the ranch. But I don't have a crystal ball. I don't know how injury's gonna affect them. I don't know how guys are going to have an up and down type of season. I don't know when guys are going to get into a slump. I don't know. On paper, Yes, they have the talent, they have everything laid out for them to be the dominant team that everybody wants them to be and everybody expects them to be. You still got to go out and you got to play. And I don't think Philadelphia was a favorite. I don't even think to start that run to the super Bowl. But as game got closer, people started to look at this and go they might be the better team, and they got to play the game on Sunday. Nobody expected to blowout nobody, So you got to play it. You got to play it out. And this team is exceptional, which is why you go into the season as a player. You want to dominate. You do want to dominate the regular season, contrary to what you think of the regular season, and it doesn't matter and all that kind of stuff. Player wise, you want to dominate the regular season, those those things, and you know not that you're counting numbers and one of oh we got to be over one hundred this game and was there. Guarantee you they get close to the to the one to sixteen record of the Mariners, they gonna want to get that record, and and they gonna want to dominate every month of the season leading up to the playoffs. It is not one of those things where they want to be on cruise control and uh where you know this, these games don't matter. We don't care about winning this. We just got to get to the playoffs and we'll be all right when we get there. That's not a mentality of a team or a player. You as a player think about it as an individual player. And you're a player that that is a very good player. You want to hit a home run and you want to hit I want to hit ten home runs a month. If I can do that, that's that's I'm in my groove. That's what you want to do. You want to bottom line, Fred, you want a damn You want to win every game you go out to play, period.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because to that point, Riddney.
Speaker 2: I think what you're attempting to say, Fred is and this goes back to what Dylan Ornandez wrote a couple of weeks ago. Their stated goal coming into the season should not be to break the record or win one hundred and twenty games. Put yourself in a position where you're playing well and you're healthy when it matters the most. Is that where you're saying, Fred, don't try to chase after the best record. There was a Rodney's point. You can't control that. If you go out and just try to be about your business every day, you're hoping the wins will come.
Speaker 3: But we've seen teams do this before.
Speaker 2: When the Warriors got out to that you know, giant, I don't know what they were, twenty eight and one or something like that. They made it their stated goal, we want to beat the Bulls all time record and they ended up doing it. So I don't know if that's something to aspire to or not. That's each individual team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when it's in your sites, I mean other than you know, Saquon Barclay and Barrus Sanders back in the day where you know you're you're concerned about health and you were gearing up for that, and it's the last game of the season, you don't do it, but as a team, as a team, just like the Patriots played that game against the Giants at the end of the season in seven. It's like they could have rested everybody, but they're like, no, going undefeated, that's that's historic, that's something that we want to do. We didn't come all this way and get to fifteen and oh to blow it off on the last game of the season when we could be historic. And so they played and they played their starters and they went out and won the game. And they didn't win the Super Bowl, but they went after it. And so when the game when it's in your sights, but it's in your sights, then yeah, you got You don't start the season that way, but it was in its. When it gets to be a point where this is attainable, then you start, Yeah, let's go play for it. Let's go get it. Angel CITYFC kicks off their twenty twenty five seasons Sunday, March sixteenth at home against rival San Diego. Everythan in a tennis will receive a souvenir flag and schedule magnet. It's before they saw a lot on Angelcity dot com and stream all games in HD on the iHeartRadio wipp the keyword Angel City f scene. Goodbye to a Landmark is next?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, come on, Stevie. Today's Afternoon Delight. It's radio by Steve Aoki. Star producer DJ recruited Trippy.
Speaker 1: Red and Jessica BYO on this track that dropped over the weekend, and a statement Aoki said, working with my great friend Trippy on radio was a blast. We've been collaborating behind the scenes for years, and this track captures are shared energy and love of catchy pop punk anthems. Jessica's vocals brought a whole new dimension. We knew we had something special again. Today Afternoon Delight is Radio by Steve Aoki. All Right, if you're going up Los Angeles or wherever you are, there been there forever. Landmarks just identified part of the fabric of the community, part of the fabric of the city. And they've been there for a long time. So if you think about Los Angeles and restaurants, for example, Musso and Franks Hollywood Boulevard, that's been here forever. Yeah, Musso and Franks, right, it has that's a place that's been there forever. Dan Tana's Tana's yeah, right right there on Santa Monica Boulevard. Dantanna's Yeah. The Ivy Ivy, Yeah, still go to the Ivy and And you know, no matter what part of the area you live in, there are places that have been there forever, just forever, and they're part of the community. They're part of the fabric of the city, and they're like landmarks because they've been there so long and everybody knows them more often than not. Their old School, the Valley Inn and Sherman Oaks. You know, I'm just thinking about places. I don't get to Orange County a lot, but I'm sure there are places like that there. It's gone now. But remember the Sportsman Lodge Fred they remodeled it, Yes they did. Yep. Sports was another one. I'm sure in East LA there are many training So you know these places where did we go? We was our guy that we had, We had him on the show several times. I think we did some work with him. Sandwich Sandwich Cat that we're trying to keep a La Lang Langers Deli, Langers Deli, Right, these places exist. What's the place in uh Grandy Hills on the top of the mountain. I can't remember Castaways, I can't remember what it is, but it's been there forever. I think it burned down they rebuilt it. And Montes is another one. I know that. Mani's right, yeah, manis I mean, as we're talking about these I'm sure you know places are running through your mind and you've been to these places because you've lived here for a long time. Well over the weekend one shutdown. It is stunning, It is stunning. And if you've been a Staples now the Crypt downtown, you know this place all too well. People lined up around the block to get in. It was kind of a little all the time. The pantry, the pantry, the pantry closed. You imagine the pantry closing because you're said it fred every time. If you had spent any time downtown and you went to a Laker game, King's game, Sparks game, per game down there, it did anything downtown and you drove down Figaro and you saw, you like, what is that line? What is that line? One of the people around lining up around the corner, and it was for the pantry. Legendary place. Pantry always had a line around the corner to get in. You know, I went to the pantry first time when I came to USC and you know, it took me there the steamer, but Forarillo, Bud Farillo, you remember, But Forillo, Blud Forrillo, Yes, but Forerillo took me to the pantry and the rest is history. I love that place forever. And yeah, it's amazing. It's amazing that that that is closing down. Yeah, I mean former Mayor Richard Reardon owned it, he died. The Reardon Foundation took it over. They said they were losing money, had lost money there for years, and because of that, to contribute money now to their education, they closed the pantry. That is a sad, sad day. By the way, Mark Hustin texted me that place in Granada Hills, the Odyssey, the Odyssey restaurant at the top of the mountain. Yeah, I'm sure, but I you know, I saw that, and I just I felt really badly because that is a part of Los Angeles history and it had been there so long, and if you took a tour of downtown, you'd always go to the pantry. I mean they would take it to the pantry and see what it was like, and was it anything fancy? No food was good and people would line up outside to get in. And I just thought that was so sad that some place that had been there so long was suddenly closed. I think it was. I think it was a sad day for downtown. Yeah, for a sad day. Did they say any reason? Why? Why? Why is it closing? I mean, why now? Ownership? What? It? Just a place like that. Sometimes you wonder why they closed down. People get tired of it. The revenue wasn't the same. But I can't imagine when there's lines out out out the door like that on a regular basis that it shuts down. It's got to be some external, you know, type of reasons that it that it does that, you know, and we don't know. We don't know the details of the inner workings of their business and how they were able to keep up or couldn't keep up. Was it financial or was it just it was time. I don't know. We don't know, but it's it's a shame because that was a mainstay. Yeah, it really was. And what they basically said was, honest to god, it just cost too much. It just costs too much. And you know, labor went up. They weren't making a ton of money operating in the restaurant, and I'm sure they were trying to keep keep their their prices the same. That's was the draw that you could get those you know, remember those big giant plates, and you could get so much food at a at a reasonable cost, and trying to maintain that could have been difficult. And the people that that worked there had worked there for years, yeah, I think forever. Those people had been there forever and now gone just like that. You know, it'd be like the smoke house closing in Burbank. Mm hmm. It'd be something like that. What restaurants come into your mind is you're listening, if it went away, you go, oh my god, I can't believe it. What was the sandwich place that Petros used to do the spots for Felipees? Yeah, Felipe's. I mean, if if that was.
Speaker 5: It's not Felipe's, Fred, get it right.
Speaker 3: It's been around for a long time. That's why I am well said Filipes again.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. I don't need that, oh, Fred.
Speaker 5: I've been going to Phillip since I was a wee child, and to hear somebody call it. Felipe's is just it's it's very angry, right.
Speaker 1: Get the French dip there at Phillipe's right, that's what it was. Get the double dip, Fred Philippe's. I couldn't remember what it was.
Speaker 3: Fred's case. He'll want the triple dip.
Speaker 1: Right, Phelipe's not Philip. That's a difference. That's why I went a place. You're like, you don't live here anymore.
Speaker 5: Fred, You're in the desert.
Speaker 1: People in your house right now? I was, I was right there. I'll be in tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Are you going tomorrow?
Speaker 1: No? You know, I might go to I'm calling in sick Why because I make you physically ill my presence.
Speaker 5: I'd rather see you on the screen and not in person.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, No, I might go to Tom's tomorrow. Kevin were talking, Yeah, I mean, yeah, don't forget that defibrillator, Fred original Tommy's. Yeah, Baby, I.
Speaker 2: Mean if you wanted to get an extra chili cheeseburger and fries and bring them this way, I wouldn't be mad at you.
Speaker 1: You know, see Yeah, and you don't act that stuff. I really don't. I know, what about patties? What about patties? Pat Patty is still there, still there, still there, right there, Patty.
Speaker 5: They have they have one of the greatest tuna melts there. Every I love a good tuna melt.
Speaker 1: What are those restaurants? You know what? Maybe next hour we'll do it. We're gonna bring Dan Whitey in at the top of the hour and maybe we'll reintroduce it. What are the restaurants If they close, you go, oh, no, like your favorite neighborhood place that you've always gone where you just feel so comfortable there, you know what to expect. The people have worked there forever. Think about that, and maybe we'll do it next hour. And don't call now, Do not call now. Don't start calling yet. Yeah, you'd be on hole forever and then probably get hung up on. So don't call until we tell call yet. What we're gonna do is we'll bring Dan wiki and we'll get more into the Lakers. Then after that we'll come back and do this