Speaker 1: Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get the five o'clock hours started here on a Monday afternoon coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. As you could expect if you are just now joining us, a lot of reacting to what happened this weekend for Louisville, A real punch to the gut. For Kentucky, probably as good as they felt about well, probably as good as they have felt following a win in a long long time. I mean, they could still have a special season, but obviously you know that win put them at three and two. A lot of winnable games left for him, no doubt. But yeah, I haven't really spent a whole lot of time trying to check the pulse of that fan base to see how they're reacting, because you know, you're more inclined to want to hear them when they're crying and they give us their tears. That's kind of how the rivalry works, right, Like I know how I know that there were many people listening to the postgame shows we would do during the Kinney Payne era that were not Louisville fans, but just wanted to kind of sit and enjoy the misery that we were going through, because again, that's how the rivalry works. So a lot of reaction. Haven't really talked a whole lot about anything else. We do have a couple of Monday night football games tonight, which I didn't realize they were giving us double Monday night football and back to back weeks. I like it. I don't know how many more they're going to do, but you know, I wish they would do it every week. I would imagine that the NFL would be doing that if they felt it was beneficial for them. But yeah, a couple of Monday night games. I want to get to a little bit later on because when it comes to underdog fantasy, that's where I'm having success. It's not anything else. It's not betting. I'm not having any success when it comes to that. But uh yeah, five two, five, nine hundred is the number. If you guys want to jump in and join us on the phone lines. We do have lines open now if you want to give us a call react to whatever I mean. I would imagine most of the people that would call in would want to react to what happened in South Bend. I think those that called the postgame show, which we had full calls throughout the entirety of the show, as you could expect that usually is the case any game, but especially after a loss. It was the first time we all collectively, I think, realized that we lost a big game that we could have won, some may say should have won. And yet a big factor in that was the coach. Meaning while we did not to say that, like Jeff specifically, but you know, to come out and play so sloppy, to make so many mistakes, to have three turnovers that really, you know, were easily avoidable, like that's just not something we've done before as a fan base. And again not to act like last year when Louisville lost games or even when they won games, that there wasn't criticism for Jeff Bram and his staff. I mean, I think fans have been critical when necessary. I don't think anybody's been over the top. Maybe some have, but like I think we have kind of removed ourselves from the toxicity that we were going through with the end of Bobby, with sadderfield to wear, we can be critical, but it doesn't mean we want a new coach, doesn't mean we think our guy's not any good. But you know, Jeff did not have a good day. That's a nice way of saying he had a bad day. Some might say he had a really bad day, because it just was unusual for us to be in that position. I mean, it was the first time I can think of that we were feeling really really kind of underwhelmed and disappointed. And yet a big factor in that was that the coaching staff. Now it's not to say players don't take some responsibility. They always do, but it's the coach's job to get him ready. And I went back and forth with somebody on Twitter on Saturday because you know, I don't think what I said was out of a line. I don't think it was you know, controversial. I don't even think it was a hot take. I just said, you know, one thing I expected was for Louisville to come out sharp and ready to play. It's been the exact opposite. And you know, I guess it's semantics when it comes to like being ready to play. But whenever you have as many mistakes as they had in the first quest, I mean, to me, that says you're not ready to play. I mean, I would say you could watch Louisville in the first quarter and all the mistakes they made that really Notre Dame had no impact, and I think most people watching would say, yeah, looks like they didn't come ready to play. But for some reason, someone took issue with that. So you know, there's nothing you can do about it now, and it doesn't make me feel any better in the moment. Certainly didn't make me feel any better on Saturday. But I'm not looking at this Louisville team from a personnel standpoint or from a coaching standpoint feeling like, Okay, I'm worried we don't have the pieces or the ability to win a bunch of games this year and maybe find ourselves in Charlotte for the ACC Championship game. Again, I don't know they're going to do that, but like, it'd be worse if we were sitting here thinking, like, damn, we went up to South Bend and they rolled us. They were better in every way, and that isn't at all what we're saying, and that would be worst case scenario. But it's still to me. It's just I've said it since the postgame show started on Saturday. I've said it a few times today, why not say it once more. I cannot think of a game that has given me the same feeling that this one gave me. Because you know, you were better than Notre Dame. I feel like you lost, and it's all that really matters when it comes to like how we were evaluated as college football programs. You play twelve games in the regular season. You got to win as many as possible. You win a lot, you can do special things. You don't win much. That's not good. So it would be worse if Louisville, you know, went up there and got humbled. But that didn't What happened. Louisville had one hundred and fifteen more total yards, way more passing yards, over one hundred more passing yards, had more rushing yards, had nineteen first downs to their eleven first downs. I mean, it's one of those games where you look at the box score and you think, Okay, looking at these stats, how'd you lose? Well, it's because of your your mistakes, and it's not just the turnovers, right, because they capitalized on all three of your turnovers. They had seventeen points off of your mistakes. The Corey ja Corey Brooks bobbled and passed that they got the interception for they scored off that, the fumble from Jack from not Jack Lumber from Tyler Shuck flashbacks. Yeah, they scored off that. You know, we gave him a touchdown with the snap over the punter's head. So like that's how you lose games with the stat line like that, those critical mistakes that cost you. But it wasn't just that. I mean, you know, not getting any points at the end of the half, the decisions made when going forward on fourth down, not calling a time out at the end of the first half just to kind of get your composure together. That was a head scratcher to me. You know, having a delay of game in that moment at the very end is just maddening. So overall it's a tough pill to swallow, knowing that literally you take away one of those mistakes, you have one of those calls go your way, the insanely stupid double pass interference which nobody's ever seen before. If that doesn't if that doesn't happen and they just call the right play, which is you know, pass interference on the defense, or they spot the ball correctly on one of those instances where we thought we got a bad spot. Like one of those things goes your way, you still potentially win. So again, it doesn't make me feel like this team is in trouble. But to know that, like one little mistake or one big mistake that you could have avoided, if that doesn't happen, you might leave with leave South Bend with a win, and there's a lot of value there. So to have that missed opportunity because of sloppy play, poor decisions, it's just it sucks. But again, it could be worse. We could be coming off of a loss where you went up there and you got beat up, you got humbled, and you realize we're not any good And I don't look being good and being bad is defined by what winning and losing. And you lost, so we got to take the l But I don't think many are questioning if this team has the pieces. I mean, ja, Corey Brooks is really good. Tyler Schuck. Stats don't even show how good of a day he had. Colin Lacy probably made the best catch I've seen a Louisville player make in years in his first game as a louis of a cardinal. We got to work on getting better pass protection, that's for sure. But other than that, from a personnel standpoint, I still feel pretty good about where we are. We're gonna get Quincy Riley back at some point, maybe it's this week. I don't know. So it still sucks, but again, it could be worse. All right, let's go to the thon lines five two, five, seven, one seventy nine hundred is the number. If you want to jump in and give us a call. Let's go to Cody. Cody, you're on Sports Talk seven ninety what uth Man?
Speaker 3: Hey, Nick, what's happening?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: It's been a while since I call it in brother, Yes, sir man, Nick, I'm not trying to be biased by any means, because I try to watch the games and not have that mindset. Obviously, every game they play I think they can win. And Nick, like, am I crazy for thinking that if they play this game ten times, Louisville wins the game seven maybe eight times?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Am I crazy to think that?
Speaker 2: There was just so many I don't think you're crazy, Cody, because you know, I mean, it's it's when we Because I'm gonna say it with you. I think they might win more than seven times. And it's not because I'm saying that Louisville's great. I don't think Notre Dame's very good. But and again, if you beat him that many times, it would there would be value that that is not there, because you know, if you want to beat if you're gonna beat Notre Dame, you'd rather beat them when they're really good. But like, that's another part of it that makes it frustrating for me, is that I don't think Notre Dame's special in any way.
Speaker 3: Oh, Nick, I completely agree, man, And I got I got a short ramble here for a second, then I'm going to hang up and listen. But I mean, the game started off so well with getting that Fumbo recovery and then scoring, and Riley Leonard for the whole season had one touchdown pass and we leave that guy wide open and give him a free one and then he has another one. But I mean, like you said, Nick, I don't think Notre Dame is good at all. I don't think Riley Leonard is good at all. But I mean, if there's anything a moral victory and a loss, the way they fought back, I mean when once they got down in the years past, they just laid down and move on to the next week. But I mean, honestly, I think they can run the table. I know Clifson and Clifton in Miami are obviously going to be tough with cam Ward and then at Kentucky at the end of the season. Please God just let us finally beat them. And last thing, Nick, I'm gonna hang up and listen. If I've missed it already, forgiven me. I've been picking up the kids from school and listening in periodically and stuff. But what's the update on the blessed name of car. I need to know how Nick feels about auto zone today. That's been my biggest concern in all weekend. I've been worried sick about your car.
Speaker 1: Nick.
Speaker 3: Please buddy you and love to go.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Cody. I appreciate it. Yeah, I'll get to the to the car situation. That'll be the last thing I respond to here from your call. But yeah, I mean Notre Dame like it'd be in our best interest if they continue to win, and they're only lost this year is against Northern Illinois. I just don't think that's going to be the case, although they don't have that tough of a schedule this year. That's why there was so much emphasis from Notre Dame in this louisvill game is because they knew going in, hey, we have a chance here to get a win that has real value, which it does. I mean, that's a weird situation to be in Madgen telling somebody that twenty five years ago, but louisvilleootball would be looked at as a big opportunity for Notre Dame. But that's the way it played out. They have little learned prayers, so any game to them is big with their lost in Northern Illinois already there. But yeah, like I just can you throw that, throw that in the mix, add it to the list or whatever, you know. As far as things that make it a tough pill to swallow, losing to Notre Dame at their place by a touchdown is in most instances, never something you can really feel like, yeah, oh that sucked. But that's the way I feel. All that sucked because of they weren't even that good and that you know. So as far as Riley Leonard look, Louisville's mistakes made it to where he didn't have you know, he didn't have to go very far to score some of those touchdowns, and you know, he played better. And I'll give credit where it's due. I think early on they were making it easy on him. I mean, he looked great in that first quarter, in first half, really, and yet he hadn't looked like that all year. Well, ron English made some adjustments and the louisvill defense was much better in the second half, held him scoreless in the third, and then in the fourth quarter. You know they didn't they didn't score until that interception that Louisville threw. So you know, damn Notre Dame game. As far as running the table, I mean, look, I'm not going anywhere close to that just yet. Now, do they have the opportunity, Yeah, I mean, like beating any team left on the schedule wouldn't be looked at as some crazy thing when it comes down to it. Because Miami's right now ranked is the best team on your schedule. You got to go to Clemson. They're playing really good football right now. You know you will play Kentucky at their place, and you know, right now they're looking really good. I mean that Kentucky can beat Ole Miss at their place. I mean, clearly they can beat Louisville at home. I don't even want to go there with that game just yet. I'm not ready to do it. I can't, I can't. But this SMU game has kind of surprisingly turned into like a really big spot for Louisville, because a win here is really what you're supposed to do. I mean, you opened up I think last week midweek you opened up as eleven point favorites in this game. Now that you've lost, although you lost as dogs and they beat the snot out of Florida State, which I guess really isn't saying much in the grand scheme of things, but they're loss that SMU had against BYU earlier this year is now looking like a real quality loss. B why used playing damn good football and they nearly lost to Nevada SIMU did, But since then they've made a quarterback change and they're playing good football right now. They're you know, right now lois is favored by TOUCHDWN. I'm kind of surprised by that. But when I say it's a big spot, I mean, you know, you really can prove something to yourself and to you know, fans. I'm sure they don't really talk about that when it comes to game prep or whatnot. But you've now played two real teams and you've not been You've not been clean in either of them. You've been sloppy for different reasons. A lot of penalties against Georgia Tech. And clearly you weren't a sloppy against Gegea Tech as you were against Notre Dame, but you didn't play clean football, and some of that I think is Georgia Tech's doing. But again, the penalties, the disorganization, just just just not a great overall performance. But you were able to make plays when when it mattered, and you did to Georgia Tech what Notre Dame did to you the next week, which is take advantage of mistakes they were made. So I'm not saying George Tich wasn't a good game, but like there were some avoidable mistakes made, some sloppiness that should be cleaned up. And then Notre Dame. We don't need to dive back into all the things that happened that could have been avoided that you would have expect to see a team do in that moment, especially one that usually under coach Jeff Brohm comes ready to play in those games. So against SMU, if you come out and let's say you win, but it's close and you feel like you really shot yourself in the foot in a critical moment here and maybe later in the game again, if you win, that's really all that like, that's that's how you're viewed, how that's how you evaluated in the grand scheme of things. But if you're sloppy again, even in a win, here's what we have to say as a vent as of Saturday. That would be your identity as a team. Yeah, yeah, it's fixable. Yeah, it's clearly things you don't have to go practice at. It's just you know, tightening up. And you know there's a lot of teams that you know, say that early on, Well, if we can just stop having penalties, if we can just you know, hold on to the ball, we can just you know, not hurt ourselves, we'll be all right. Well then, sure enough, you realize six weeks ago by and you're still saying that, you know what that means, that's who you are. Fixable, sure, but you're not fixing it. That's your identity. And I'm not saying that's where Louisville is right now, but I think it would be really really telling if they come out and just play a clean game of football where you're not worried about them making mistakes that really are just on them. I mean quite literally. The amount of things that went wrong for Louisville that they just did it themselves Saturday, that Notre Dame had no impact on is unbelievable. All right, So AutoZone, I mean, I gave an update on Friday, and there really hasn't been one that's changed since then. So you know, I'm gonna hopefully hear from them in the next couple of days. Not AutoZone, because I've not heard from them ever. I've literally had to be the one calling them every single time I have had any communication with them, and it's usually multiple attempts before I get somebody to answer me. But my car will essentially be away from me, broken for two weeks because AutoZone tried to connect my battery incorrectly for three straight hours and zap the main fuse whatever the hell that is, zapped the alternator, which needs to be replaced, and because it's Volkswagen, they had to order it and it wasn't just readily available at the dealership, so you know, hopefully they give me a call later this week and then AutoZone shows up and pays what the damage is and then I go get my car. Like that's that's what I hope to happen. But nothing would shock me at this point. So we shall see. And here's what I don't get, Austin. You know you've worked in customer service before, I believe. Yeah, I'm not asking for anybody to kiss my ass. I'm not asking for I'm really there's the thing. I don't really know what I'm asking for, but like no acknowledgment for taking my money, me giving you business, and you breaking my car, leaving me without a vehicle for two weeks and just expecting me to not continue to call you and ask like what's going to be done? Like that? That that doesn't make any sense, right, Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, you wouldn't you need some some Jeff Brown accountability?
Speaker 2: Well and you would think that with with like they don't work on cars at AutoZone right now, and now I know why because they tried to work on mine and they broke it.
Speaker 4: I mean, you got to think the guy that's putting in that battery is just probably some high school graduate.
Speaker 2: Or oh no, it was the manager who was a woman and her assistant manager who was a dude. And when I went back in the next day to like say, you know, yeah, you got the battery thing worked out, but my car's broken essentially and it can't I can't drive it whenever I had to explain that to a different associate that was not there the night before, Like they're embarrassed obviously, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean you don't. You don't have to be car experts to work there, but you have to. You have to at least know a little bit something what you're doing. If you're sitting there zapping a battery and trying to get it for start and it's backwards for three hours, there has to be some accountability at least from that manager. And at least I hope that they're not getting pissed off, like out, why is this guy.
Speaker 2: Can And to be fair, they haven't done that, But that's not like I'm not going to praise them, like, well, at least they haven't been a holes because I've been upset. You know, at least again they're paying for the repair, which that's good, but I almost feel like I don't know it's gonna curse, and I shouldn't, well duh should Like, I don't want to give them credit for like I'm still there. They still have a lot of making up to do, other than just paying for the damage they did, in my opinion, because I've been inconvenienced in a way that like is quite literally their fault. And I've been people have been making fun of me online every now and then, like on Twitter, even some people on the text line. And it's fine, like it's whatever. But the reason that I didn't change the battery myself is because I didn't have any tools on me to Like, I can't do much with a car. I mean, I can change a battery, but I understand you have to have certain tools to be able to disconnect a battery. And I also know the vehicle that I drive, a Volkswagen, is a pain in the ass. You have one as well, so like you get it. So that's why when I went and got the battery, I left my car running and I went inside and I put the battery on the counter, and I said, if I purchased this, would you guys be able to do the swap here? And they looked up the vehicle that I had checked it and said, yeah, So that's why I let them do it. If they would have said no, I would have kept the car running. I would have gone home and replaced the battery then. I mean, that's that's what I would have done. I was trying to get to my son's football practice, and I feel like the last thing I wanted to do was get to his football practice park out there, like in the field where they practice, and then not be able to start my car because the battery is dead, need to get a jump. So, like, you know, I would never claim to be somebody that is super knowledgeable when it comes to vehicles. I don't know much of anything, but I can replace a battery. And the reason I chose not to do it then is because again I didn't. You know, they are fully responsible for claiming they could do it and then and then not being able to and it. And you know, I hate even saying to their credit because I feel like it's not something they deserve credit for. It's just what you should do, but like they are paying for it, and they now know that like by doing that was that was on them. So we'll see, there's your update, Cody. It's probably not an entertaining one, but that's where we are. All right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: I don't think I talk to anybody, you know, regularly via phone that has Verizon, so I don't I don't know of anybody personally that's been impacted. But I'm curious if this outage is like as widespread as national as like some people are indicating, or if it's just people without service that are, you know, going on Wi Fi to complain about it on Facebook. Do you have Verizon? I have an AT and T.
Speaker 5: No, I'm a I'm a T mobile guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, Verizon. I mean there's still like a big player in the service game, right.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Well they had their towers out there a louted in life, the actual Verizon towers.
Speaker 2: Okay, because I feel like I used to hear like I feel like it used to be one of the other if somebody had if you were going to talk to somebody and ask them what their service provider was. It was a good chance it was going to be one of those two and then maybe occasionally a T Mobile. But I feel like I don't know. I feel like I haven't heard anybody talk about Verizon in a long time. Sprints no more, right, they don't exist. Yeah, are part of T Mobile, Like they're like merged with T Mobile. Yeah, if you end up without service at all, that make that mean that'll be I mean, I remember when it happened to AT and T last year or something, but it was it was for a good chunk of a day. Anybody that had AT and T like nothing worked, Like you could get on Wi Fi, but you couldn't use your phone if you did not have Wi Fi.
Speaker 5: I remember that it was.
Speaker 2: It was kind of awesome in a way because I was out without Wi Fi. Right if I'm driving, I don't went Wi Fi, And it was a little scary. But it also it kind of felt like I was a bad ass because you know what, like nobody can no, but he can reach me right now even if they wanted to, like they could not that people want to reach me, but you know, but it's also kind of scary, and it's a reminder that we yes, we were probably on our phones way too much. I know I am one of those people that probably needs to reduce screen time in a major way. But also, you know, they are pretty damn convenient. We can do just about anything with our phones, and whenever that's just taken away, it's it's a pretty helpless feeling. I would imagine.
Speaker 4: There's something good about it, just because, like you said, you know that no one can reach you, no one can bother you, not anyone's You just kind of know you're free. I sometimes do that when I head to the casino. I'll just leave the phone in the car. No no one can can can call, no one can text. At least it's out of my sight, out of my mind. But even in like an outage like that, there's something good where like I don't have to worry about this because I know that there's nothing I can do. So you're kind of free, You're not you're unbothered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think whenever I've had that, like we've my wife and I a couple of years ago, actually has been longer than that. We went to Fort Lauderdale for just us two to go just us two on a trip, and I remember I'd left my phone in the room, and I'm thinking, Okay, well, I'm gonna have to go back at some point. But then I was like, you know what, No, like, let's just have a day. And I don't really know how long we were gone. I feel like we were going a good chunk of the day just out doing tourist stuff and hanging out in bars and having having a day. And I felt like I felt withdraws early on, like what am I gonna do it on my phone or on my phone? But then once, once, once you hit the moment of like just accepting it, it's kind of an awesome feeling to be disconnected. I imagine when you get to the casino and the phones in the car, you know, and you're walking around, you're probably feeling, man, I just want to get my phone out. It's it's habit, right, And then you realize, nope, I don't have it. And then once you've once you've kind of removed yourself from those withdraws, It's it's kind of awesome, but in the end, it's also kind of set because it's a reminder of how dependent we are. On those things that you know are useful, right, and you can do a lot with them.
Speaker 4: But you know, I'm sure the casino likes it too, because I can't see what time it is there.
Speaker 2: There's no way that we as a society have not really taken steps back when it comes to communicating with people, because now you really don't have to communicate with anybody face to face in most instances, you know what I mean. Like, heck, even even phone calls. Like kids don't talk on the phone anymore, do they.
Speaker 4: I don't think so kids faced with the corded phones, and I think you only call someone nowadays that there's actually an emergency.
Speaker 5: I don't like being called unless it's.
Speaker 2: All I don't either, And I've kind of become that guy, like I shouldn't say this because it's my it's my family. It's one thing. But like if I get a phone call from somebody who I know, this could have easily been a text.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: I'm not rude. I'm just kind of like, you know, I don't know, I kind of resent them now. That's awful, because again it's just you know, that's a terrible thing to say.
Speaker 4: But I'm just being honest, I'm right there with you now. I know, I know you're a little bit older than me, but you're not old. So, like, were you around with like pagers? What was like the pager era? Like cause, I mean, it seems like it seems like the first thing to send text messages, But I didn't know that you can like type on a pager, hey how are you or something like that, like can you page back?
Speaker 5: Can you text back? What were pagers?
Speaker 2: I never had a pager, and I could be wrong, but like pagers, pagers were kind of useless for someone like a teenager, Like pagers were really for work. Like again, this is before we had any ability to connect to communicate with each other like we do now, to where your way of telling somebody, hey, find a payphone, find a landline, give me a call was a pager. Now, so I didn't really know a whole lot about pagers, And I think it wasn't as if everybody had to have one. It was really like, it wasn't that cool of a device to where oh I got to get one of those. It was like, yeah, you'll get one if you need one, you know what I mean. But and everybody says this about their generation, So I'll say it about mine. I grew up with the best of both worlds. When I was really really young. You know, we had Nintendo, but we didn't have the Internet. We didn't have you know, technical tech, you know, from a technological standpoint, like it was you know, VHS, and we didn't have If you wanted to go watch a new movie or something, you had to wait for it to come on TV, or you had to like have your mom take you to video of Alder Blockbusters. So we did a lot of the playing outside, right, We were outside, you know, having fun going, you know, I mean I would leave my house, I don't know, in a summer day in between you know, maybe fourth fifth grade, fifth sixth grade, Like I would just leave and I would hit up four or five of my friends that live near me, and we would just be gone all day doing what kids do, just playing, you know what I mean. And now maybe that still happens, but I got that, and then you know, technology took a big step forward. So like the Internet became a thing when I was a young kid. Cell phones, you know, when you got like the Nokia brick phone that had snake on it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Those became a thing like when I was in probably sixth seventh grade, so a lot of kids didn't have them. I mean I was and I got my first cell phone when I was I think a sophomore. And it was around that time that like it wasn't school. It wasn't that uncommon for somebody that age to have a phone. They weren't smartphones or anything like that, but like we could communicate that way. But texting really wasn't much of a thing. Yeah, so you still had to talk on the phone. So you know, I really did enjoy the AOL Instant Messenger days because we had that. That's how a lot of us communicated. We weren't in school because we didn't have cell phones, right, we could just talk on AIM. And you know, that's how in fact, my wife that I'm with now, I mean we've been married for a long time, for thirteen years, we've been together for you know, roughly twenty years. But like the first shot I took, if you will, Austin was talking to her on AOL instead messenger, you know. You know, so we did have some we had some tech, you know, some technology we could use to our advantage and nowadays though, like I mean, it's just texting, it's snapchat, it's all that stuff. So I say this all the time, like, no joke the older generation, And I always say this to Tony and Dwight because they're the older generation, not to say that they're elderly, but like, clearly they grew up in a different time. They were going to bars trying to meet women, like a lot of dudes. Do you know when they were doing it at their young age, it was a different world than when people like my age were doing it at that time, but that era, they got laid a lot more. Yeah, I meant, no, I know, like there's studies that show that, like, you know, meeting women and hooking up with them happening at a lot higher rate. Back then, when you actually had to communicate directly, you had to walk up to a woman at a bar and start a conversation. You couldn't get her her snap you couldn't get her insta. You had to like actually, you know, get out and you know, have some bravery about it, and it worked. Now we've got all these tools from a technological standpoint, there's apps you can be into some random really obscure, kinky thing. They probably got a website specifically for it where you can meet other people that are into this, where they're into the same thing. So like, despite all of the resources currently that can be utilized by the younger generation, it's not happening as much. And I think one that's surprising, but also it makes me want to tip the cap to the ogs from that other era that like they had to get it out the mud, as they say, and they did it and they actually made it work, so you know, yeah, I mean this all started with us talking about like cell phone service. But cell phones have changed our lives, undoubtedly for the good because of the convenience that we have. But sometimes when I say that, I don't know if I'm telling the truth or not, you know what I mean, Because like we did live as a society with you know, out any we have problems, but like now, if we didn't have cell phones to communicate, I feel like it would be it would be something that would be the biggest issue on the planet. And it would be because we now are accustomed to it, and if you just don't have it like changes everything. It's a new world. But let's remember that for many, many, you know generations as a society, we didn't have them in life was good, you know what I mean. Yeah, it's just I don't know.
Speaker 4: And now you have the cell phones that literally are their own like hot spots and blutes and services and heck, even back in minday, I feel like I had like some of the best of both worlds because I had I had the payphone or the pays you go phones where you had to like, yeah, precate on it, like and that was my allowance. If I was good that week, I got twenty five minutes on it. And sometimes what if you're a part of the plan, you got like free weekend texts and stuff like that, and like it ran off a data well I couldn't imagine. Now you don't even use data when you use the Wi Fi, so that would have been a way. It's just crazy how how those things have changed.
Speaker 2: And every every plan I feel like, is unlimited data. Now every plan is like if you if you're still like tracking your data, I feel like you've got a really old plan. I could be wrong, yeah, but I think even if you are somebody that's on like a is boost mobile, like pay as.
Speaker 5: You go, Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's like, but.
Speaker 2: There's there's there's carriers out there that aren't technically like a, hey, you got to go buy a phone from this place and use it that way. But like you know, there's there's actually a variety of different providers out there that that do rival the big ones like Verizon and AT and T. But I think people just stick with what they're used to and cricket cricket still yeah, cricket. So you know, like I think even those which again you know, they're smaller compared to the other big brands, the ones I just mentioned, but yet I still feel like the majority of their plans that you get are going to be free or not free, but unlimited data if you get a certain package.
Speaker 4: So I even remember when, like, like you said, Sprint was a thing. One of their coolest things when they first came out was like the like the walkie talkie feature. If you had like a Sprint phone, you can like walk e to another person, which was I always saw that really cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And then there was an wasn't there a phone called like a not a talkbacker, no, a sidekick?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I remember the side the one phone I never had that, and the Raiser I thought were the coolest freaking things growing up, and.
Speaker 2: On the side got on the Sidekick was cool in theory, although it wouldn't it wouldn't be convenient the way we use today's phones. But the Razor was so overrated. I mean it was. It was sleek looking, but like it, I mean cool looking it was. It was essentially as useful as the Nokia brick. It just you could you could flip it.
Speaker 4: I think those two were like the original ones that you can a get Internet on and like actually watch like because that's when like YouTube came out and you could probably go in there and like watch a YouTube video. Because I remember all my friends that had a Razor was able to watch videos on it, and I was just send a silly little meme stuff on YouTube, so.
Speaker 5: Pull this up on your phone.
Speaker 4: And I thought that was like the coolest thing ever.
Speaker 2: So whenever I was I guess like nineteen, that was when I had my first smartphone, a phone that could connect to the Internet, and it was a Samsung Blackjack, and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. And now I'm looking at it and it looks like something from the eighteen hundreds, just visually, and I got an iPhone as my next phone, and that's what I've had. That's what I've had ever since.
Speaker 4: I would to be mad at uh, because when smartphones first came out, when it was just like the screen some of them had that kind of got the idea from the Sidekick where you could flip it up and it still had the keyboard. I would to be mad at having a phone like that. Oh yeah, I don't mind using that, but I think it's cool to have the front screen and then you could just flip it open and then natch your keyboard.
Speaker 2: And actual keyboard physically where like you know, you got to like each it's not digital, meaning like you actually have to push the button on your phone. That's what the Blackjack was, and I got used to that. I thought when I got an iPhone, I would never get used to typing something and not feeling that I've punched down a button. And yeah, sure enough, you know, I got.
Speaker 1: Used to it.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to our last break. We'll go back on the other side. Finished strong good text that comes in here that I knew was coming. That's not really a good text. I mean it's I mean, it's fine, but like I knew it was coming, somebody asking what I think the spread would be? A flew Ofville Kentucky play today, which I'm not going there. I mean, I'm sure you could probably look, and there may be an early one right now, but I want to see Louisville play better and cleaner football than they've done the last two weeks before I start thinking about that game, especially no, when Kentucky just beat Ole Miss at Old Miss. All right, don't go anywhere. One more segment left here on a Monday, It's Coffee and Company. Feel abou Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Man, it would have been so nice to be carrying some momentum into this week. It's a big week. You've got Louisville live on Friday night, and then then you got a nooner against SMU, which I don't nobody likes noon games. But if you already had a Notre Dame victory and you had a chance to beat a team that right now, I mean, I don't know where they are as far as receiving votes if they're even receiving any, and I'm not here to say that I think SMU is like a world beater, but there's more value there in a win than I would have thought after watching them in their opener against Nevada, a game they should have lost. But since then they've made a quarterback change and they're playing good football. They're lost to BYU. At the time, especially seeing you know, BYU at that point not getting a lot of love, it looked as if maybe this SMU team was frauds overrated. And they've only lost one game at this point, and that's to BYU, who's been killing it. They beat TCU by you know, twenty four points, and then demolished Florida State, which you really can't make up how bad things have gone for Florida State this season considering the circumstances, and nobody feels sorry for him, including me. But like, the two teams that beat you in the SEC in the ACC to start the year are two teams that, like, are the best examples you can use or that you tried to use when you wanted everybody to realize that everybody in the league is beneath you. You should be let out because we're all peasants and you are just, you know, superior when it comes to brand and just success. And those two teams beat you, Boston College and Georgia Tech, and then a team that you were opposed to joining the league. And when these additions were made, that really sped up the process for Florida State to you know, go the legal route to try to get the hell out of the ACC by any means. And then that team they killed you, I mean forty two to sixteen, and it could have been worse. So you love to see it, you really do. All right, We're out of time, I believe, so thank you all for joining us. Mondays go by way too quick, and we'll be back at it tomorrow, and hopefully at that point, you know, it's still gonna suck, like this will leave a bad taste in my mouth for a while as far as just everything that every factor from the South Bend trip, But you know, hopefully by tomorrow it won't be as evident that I'm still annoyed, but I know I'm not alone. All right, have a good night, everybody, talk to you tomorrow right here on Sports Talk seven ninety King us yes,