Speaker 1: So welcome to our final episode in our series about ten non mysterious cases involving unidentified people. If you've listened to our first two episodes, you might know that the format here is quite different than usual. We're going back to an article I wrote for listfirst dot com way back in June of twenty thirteen, which was titled ten mysterious Cases involving Unidentified People. Because all ten victims on this list over the past twelve years have wound up being identified. So we've been following the format where I will read my original entry, then you too will share your thoughts, and then I will reveal the details about how these victims were identified. So we've done entries ten through four on our last two episodes. So for our final episode, we're going to do the last three entries on the list, and I'm going to start off by what is undoubtedly the saddest one and most tragic, and this involves a istdent known as Baby Hope. So one of the largest homicide investigations in New York City history was launched on July the twenty third, nineteen ninety one, when a cooler was found in a park bordering the Henry Hudson Parkway. It contained the decomposed body of a young girl estimated to be between the ages of three and five. She was wrapped in a black garbage bag and buried under cans of Coca cola. The girl had been asphyxiated and likely been dead for days, and evidence was later discovered that the girl was sexually abused. With no clue to her identity, she was nicknamed Baby Hope. Authority sent out a publicly for information and later received a call from a woman using the name Judy Brown. She claimed that while she was driving on the parkway nine days before Baby Hope was found, she saw a well dressed Hispanic couple carrying a cooler, but this woman never came forward to provide further information, while Baby Help remains identified. Over twenty years later. Detectives initially thought they saved the case when they found sexually abusive images on polaroids with a goal resembling Baby Hope in the same area three months later. They later discovered the person in the photos was actually a twelve year old girl living in New Jersey, and in an eerie coincidence, her name was also Hope.
Speaker 2: This whole case is heartbreaking. It involves not one, but actually two little girls who are physically and sexually abused. You know, they're emotionally abused as well. The fact that this cooler is found and there's a child's body discarded like trash, knowing that she had also been sexually abused. I can't imagine the horror that her first three to five years entailed. And then you continued to go down and twenty years later detectives think, hey, we might actually have a lead. There's these explicit photos we found of a child who resembles this baby, and turns out it's another child who's being exploited and abused. It's just absolutely heartbreaking. And to think that for so long this child didn't have a name, and there was no one who said she's of value to claim and to know her name. It's absolutely heartbreaking.
Speaker 3: Just looking at her photo, she looks like a little angel. She looks so sweet and so innocent. But to think of the cold, calculated and casually callous nature of whoever decided to put her body into a cooler and then to cover it with cans of coke like they had to have known that this isn't going to be something that's going to be able to camouflage the body long term. Just the decision to put this everyday item that people consume it's full of sugar on top of the body of this deceased child who we later find out has been sexually abused. It's so horrific, And there's something about this case that just really as soon as we started to read through the description, it just really gets under your skin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm always heartbroken by all the cases involving unidentified decedents when they're children, especially when they're a really young age, because you think to yourself, well, if no one ever reported this child missing and they can't match it up to someone, then there's a good chance that this poor baby has been murdered by their parent or their caregiver who just disposed of them and hope that they will never get caught. We're actually seeing more and more cases like this in recent years get solved, where they use genetic genealogy to finally trace the deceased child back to their parent and they wound up getting arrested and you find out that they had a child that they just got rid of early on in life and just moved on with their lives if nothing has happened. I'm going to talk about how Baby Hope was solved, and this one actually pre date genic genealogy. It actually gets solved in twenty thirteen, only a couple months after I published this article, so I think it was the very first case on the list to finally have a resolution. And of course, why don't you hear what happened? It's pretty infuriating.
Speaker 3: Did I just ask a quick question?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: So, as far as when I look at the photo of baby Hope, she looks to be Southeast Asian to me, like she looks like she could be from Myanmar or Cambodia. The fact that I lived in Southeast Asia, I feel like this just looks like so many of the girls that I saw who lived there. And it's said in the description that you wrote that two well dressed Hispanic people were seen holding a cooler, so perhaps it was them. Did they release any information about what they thought would be her heritage?
Speaker 1: I don't know if they did. At the time, I think they mostly thought that she was going to be Mexican American, and that turned out to be true. You were going to find out that she was born in New York, but I think her family was from Mexico. But I don't think they really thought that she was going to be Asian or Cambodian or anything. I think they thought from the very beginning that she was from an Hispanic heritage. So it was in the summer of twenty thirteen when the New York Police Department decided to reopen the case because this is one that had haunted them for over twenty years, and they finally got a tip from someone who had seen the new media coverage and openly wondered if the child might be her older sister, Angelica Castillo, whom she had not seen in over twenty years. This led the investigators to this person's mother. Her name was Margerita Castillo, who had a total of ten children, and confirmed that Angelica, this missing child, had left New York when she was only four years old. But Margerita just said that she assumed that Angelica's biological father had taken her back to his native Mexico. So that's why she never filed a missing person's report and why no one ever put two and two together back in nineteen ninety one. Well, they would use DNA testing to eventually confirm that Margarita was baby Hope's biological mother, so the victim was positively identified as Angelica Castillo, and Margherita, as you can imagine, faced a lot of criticism for not reporting Angelica missing. It's unclear if she knew what really happened to her baby, but it turned out that she was not directly responsible for Angelica's death, as the investigation soon focused towards Margherita's fifty two year old paternal cousin, whose name was Conrado Juarez, and after being extensively investigated by police, Warez finally confessed to being responsible for Angelica's murder, claiming that he had sexually assaulted the child inside his apartment and then wound up smothering her to death with a pillow when she started screaming, and then afterwards, Warez and his sister, who were presumably the couple seen with the cooler, decided to place Angelica's body into the cooler and dumped it alongside the Henry Hudson Parkway a. Warez his sister was already to cease by this point, but they were able to charge Warez with a felony second degree murder, but he soon recanted his confession and claimed it was coerced, so he entered a plea of not guilty, But there never would be a trial for the crime, as Warez wound up dying of pancreatic cancer while he was in jail in November of twenty eighteen. And that's a very unpleasant way to eye. So even though it was very unsatisfying to not see this case achieved total justice, I guess you could say that karma really got this guy in the end.
Speaker 3: That sounds so terrible to think that you would take this small little child and sexually abused her, and then when she screams out, likely for her mom or whomver, you decide that you just can't handle this sound of her screen so you don't want anyone to hear it. Let's just it's horrific. And to think that he didn't pay for what he did, I mean, pancreatic cancer. Like you said, that could be his karma. But anytime there's a case with a child involved, it just it like rocks me to my core. I have such a hard time with that, especially when there's the inclusion of sexual abuse like this. To think of a young baby dying like that, in total fear, screaming for her mommy. It just hurts my heart in ways I can't even describe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's disgusting. It makes me so heartbroken when you think about this, and to think that this is somebody who was able to do this, discard of a child like she had no value, and then continue to live a normal life. There's a chance this was not his only victim. This is a victim that wasn't able to have her voice heard right until decades later when she got her name back. But this is likely not his only victim. And you think about the poor mom. You know, their Hispanic family, They had immigrated here to the United States. She thought that the father had taken her. And one review that I read, one article that I read, said that she actually feared reporting anything or reaching out for help or even trying to find her daughter because language barriers, immigration issues, And so it really does highlight this idea that you know in the nineties, she's also scared for the safety of the children that are still in her care. If she were to call and to say I can't locate my child. Is she charged with neglect? Is she investigated for a potential deportation, and so all of these things were also weighing on the mother. I'm not saying it makes it right. She's just as much value as the other nine children in the family. But if she truly believed she went with the father, and let's say she's struggling to make ends meet, she trusts that, you know, a biological parent is caring for this child, and unfortunately, because she did not know where that baby was, it ended up in the hands of the cousin. And like I said, of what breaks my heart the most is I highly doubt someone who's that sick and unhealthy and can continue to live a normal life that that was his only victim. I highly doubted. So it makes me incredibly upset to think of what other child suffered at his hands, either deceased or continued to fight to have a life after abuse from him. So very, very tragic case by far to me, the most disturbing we've talked about.
Speaker 3: And it's crazy to think too that that was Like you brought up the fact that it was the nineties, but if there was a woman who was in a similar situation now as Baby Hope's mother, I could see it in current times her having difficulty reporting it, especially if there was immigration issues, because you would be very worried about what would happened to your other nine children. So I have deep empathy for her experience as a mother when you have to go like the ends justifies the means, like I'm not reporting my daughter missing, and it's easy to judge, but when you have nine other mouths to feed and you're worried about potential deportation or like you said, language barrier, any type of issues that people who are minorities would face in that type of a situation, and they would have been a lot, especially in nineteen ninety one. So for her mother, I could understand where she came from. Although it obviously led to this taking a lot longer to be solved, it's just it's a sad case overall for so many reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the woman that called in the tip that finally led to this being solved, it turned how her name was Laurenceita Ramirez, and it turned out she was Angelica's biological sister, and she also said that she didn't even know that Angelica existed until she was eleven years old, because apparently her mother and the rest of her siblings never talked about her and just went with the narrative that her father had come and kidnapped her and taken her back to Mexico. They did look into her father, Gennaro Ramirez, and initially they thought he might have been involved in Angelica's murder until Conradojarez made his confession, and they still haven't located Gennaro. He is still believed to be living in Mexico, and he may not even know what happened to his daughter because he hasn't been part of his family's life in so many years. But and for the record, I do not believe Conrado Juarez's claims that confession. His confession was coerced, because we've seen this in a lot of cases where a lot of people are wrongfully convicted after being forced to give a confession. But when you look at all the evidence, it strongly suggests that he and his sister were the two people who were seen disposing of the cooler next to the parkway, And I do think that if he had had a chance to go on trial, he would have been convicted.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine what that conversation with his sister would have gone like? Because she was also related to his sister would have been her cousin as well. To think, Okay, I accidentally killed our baby cousin while I was molesting her, or while I was sexually abusing her, and then the sister decides to help. Maybe she too, Like astually brought up that he likely had other victims. Maybe she too was a victim. Maybe she was scared of him at some point, and maybe he exerted some kind of coercion or control over her. It's just a really unthinkable scenario when we don't know all of the details to think that you just jump up and help to dispose of your cousin in a cooler topped with coke.
Speaker 2: She also could have been an abuser as well, So we think about, you know, the men being sexual abusers or physical abusers, but women also play a role. And when you have people who are in this unhealthy relationship, let's say it was a offender and victim, even though they're related, or they're both just offenders.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: That's not uncommon where you'll see multiple family members who engage in the abuse of one child. They become the scapegoat of all anger, frustration, sexual tension, right, that that child's just the target, and so I wouldn't put it past her actually having knowledge of and or participating in abuse as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when na Warez recanted his confession, he tried to put all the blame on his sisters, saying that oh, all he did was disposed of the body, that his sister was the one who asked him for help and told her that Angelica had died from a fall down the stairs. Because the sisters no longer round, we can't hear her side of the story. But maybe he did the same thing to her. Maybe he just said, oh, Angelica fell down the stairs, and he didn't tell her that he'd been abusing her, and then she agreed to dispose of it to avoid potential legal problems. So yeah, this is a technically a SOLVET case. But because the main perpetrator died before he could go on trial and the accomplice died many years ago, we were probably never going to learn the full story about how these events unfolded. So our next entry on the list is the Huntington Beach Jane Doe. On April the first, nineteen ninety, a young woman stepped on to Pacific Coast high at Huntington Beach, California, and was instantly killed after being struck by two vehicles. She carried no identification, but wore one very unique item, a ring made of human hair. When the media published a sketch of the woman, many residents came forward to claim they had interacted with her. She had told some people that her name was Andrea and that she was twenty five or twenty six, though she looked young enough to be between sixteen and eighteen years old. One resident claimed that Andrea was a transient and that he let her spend the night with his family. This is where he witnessed the woman cut off a chunk of her hair and wrap it around her finger as a ring. Other residents who spoke with her gave conflicting stories about her being from Virginia and New York. One person said the woman mentioned she was adopted and was searching for her birth family, and she also claimed that her parents were pretty well known. In spite of investigators following up on numerous leads, the woman still remains unidentified over twenty years later.
Speaker 3: This is such a strange case that this woman who went by the name of Andrea was obviously a lot younger trying to pass herself off is older and more mature, maybe because she would be taken more seriously, or you would feel safer if people perceived you to be older and more worldly than being like eighteen years old, where you're just kind of discovering things for the first time. It makes me wonder what her home life was like if she was indeed that young, What was she running away from? What was she running towards? Was there something traumatic that happened. I also find the human hair ring to be a really bizarre detail.
Speaker 2: For sure, And you also have to think that you know, what is she battling, not only what home life is she escaping or what perceived home life is she escaping, but it almost sounds like she's struggling with mental health issues as well. She's telling multiple stories. Could it be to cover and to try to, like you said, appear to be a different person to the people she's interacting with, possibly and keeping a live straights very hard. So what if some of these ideas she's expressing and these kind of contradictions are a result of a mental health episode where she's continuing to tell people these grand stories. You know she's adopted, she's running away. She has these parents that are well known. You know, she's radically shifting on the spectrum. Could she have run away from a home that maybe wasn't bad and she's perceived it because she's had this mental health break? Is she running from something? Or do we really not know the background whatsoever? There's so many things that could have happened. But am I right that one of the witnesses said that they actually watched her cut her own hair off and tie her own hair around her finger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was staying with someone because she was a transient, and they welcomed her in her home and they just saw her just do this out of nowhere. And when her body was found, she was still wearing the uh ring man out of hair.
Speaker 2: Okay, So when I first read it, I was thinking like an antique hair ring that they would use in morning jewelry. But no, this is a kid who's cutting off a think of her hair and tinyen around her finger. So again I think it really screams this idea of she's having a almost psychotic break of reality. And maybe each person's story is what they were told, and you have this person who we don't know much about but did she really have touch of her reality before she went missing.
Speaker 1: Well, as we're going to find out, she probably did have mental health issues, and she hailed a long way from California, and we'll probably never know the real story about why she traveled there. I first became familiar with this when it was featured on Unsolved Mysteries during the nineteen nineties. They did a segment on Unidentified John or Jane does and at the end they had kind of a role call where they would show a couple of unidentified decedents and ask people to come forward if they had information. And ironically enough, the roll call also featured the Sumpter County Doze, which we talked about on our first episode, and they've also been identified. And I actually briefly talked about this one on The Trail Went Cold in early two thousand and six seventeen, when I did my minisode about the disappearance of Janelle Matthews, which took place in Greeley, Colorado, in nineteen eighty four. And I only brought it up because someone made a Reddit post which brought up the possibility that perhaps Janelle was the Huntington Beach Jane Doe because there were some compelling similarities. But of course, as we all know, Janelle Matthews was abducted and murdered by a man named Steve Panky, so these cases are completely unrelated. But ironically enough, just a couple months after I dropped that trail and cold episode in May of twenty seventeen, we finally got an identification in this case. And much like Little Miss PANASOFKI, this one wasn't done with DNA. It was done by the old fashioned method of fingerprints. It turned out that the victim's name actually was Andrea. Her name was Andrea Kuyper. She was twenty six years old at the time of her death, and she originally hailed from Fairfax, Virginia, all the way on the other side of the country to California. The upload Jane Doe's fingerprints into the FBI's automated fingerprint identification system, and it turned out the back in nineteen eighty seven, Andrea Kuiper had gotten a job with the US Department of Agriculture, which required her to provide her fingerprints on her application, and because those prints were entered into a government database, they wound up being matched to the Jane Doe. So they got in touch with Andrea's family, who were still living in Virginia, and they confirmed that they had not seen her since nineteen eighty nine, that she just decided to leave home for unexplained reasons. And then a few months before her death, a friend of hers called her family to let them know Andrea was okay, but didn't share any information from about her current whereabouts. They completely lost touch with her, and of course they were unable to file a missing person's report because there was no real jurisdiction. She didn't have a fixed address, they had no idea where she was at the time, and they just figured that, oh, maybe she's gone off living her life somewhere, and maybe she's still a lot today and has just never contacted us. But sadly, it turned out that only a year after she left home, she was killed in a traffic accident when she was hit by two vehicles in Huntington Beach, California. So it turned out that Andrea did have a history of bipolar disorder and drug usage. Because this was the nineteen eighties, I don't think they really delved too deeply into what kind of mental health issues she had. But it sounds like she just decided to leave Virginia for her own reasons, make a cross country trip to California, and then she wound up dead. So it's a tragic end of the story. But at least Andrea's parents finally have answers about what happened to her, and she has finally gotten her name back.
Speaker 3: It's wonderful for the family anytime that they have the answers and they now can lay that to rest. And it's not a case where we're looking at somebody being murdered. The difference here is we're looking at a tragic accident with somebody who had likely descended into psychosis. I mean the hair being that could just be something that this individual did. But when you mention that she has bipolar disorder, then it seems likely that this could have been an episode, especially if she was putting herself into dangerous situations that would have got her killed, like getting hit by those cars. So it's a real tragedy and it brings up, you know, the larger conversation of what was the conversation around mental health during this time, And it was nineteen ninety so there wasn't much of a conversation around mental health, and it was really poorly understood. And a lot of it is an invisible illness. And so unless somebody is having an active episode where they're dealing with psychosis, or they deal with something that you can see every day, perhaps somebody who is dealing with OCD, but somebody who's bipolar, if they're having a youthmic period, you're not going to see it. They may seem very like like quote unquote normal or typical, but then if they go into a manic or a hypomanic episode, you're going to notice that. And if that mania goes into the territory of psychosis, which it very often does, then dangerous things can happen, and people will put themselves in great danger and they won't realize it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a sad thing is that I think her ability to recognize a need for help is impossible at that point, right when you're sick or you're struggling and you're not getting the treatment you need, and you aren't around people who are aware of your diagnosis and can help keep you in a healthy state, when you yourself can't regulate that, I think it's really sad in here. Robin how old was she.
Speaker 1: She turned out she was twenty six when she died, even though she looked like she could have been young enough to be in her late teens.
Speaker 2: Okay, so she was an adult. And that's another thing that you'd struggle with here. The family, even if they said, hey, she left, well she left voluntarily, and friends are even calling and saying, hey, she's okay, don't worry about her, she's okay. It gets to the point as a parent parenting an adult child you almost have to just say a prayer and hope that you know, at some point she comes home. And like you said, they said, we often just hoped, hey she's living her life and she's okay. There's not much action law enforcement can take unless you can report a concern or a known act of violence. Right an adult wanting to leave on their own, especially an adult with mental health issues, it's very easy for the police to say she made a choice and she's allowed to do so. And for this poor family, it ended up where because she likely was struggling, she was perhaps doing something where she walked in front of these cars or was in a location where she could be hit by vehicles, and she lost her life. So as helpful as the answers are, it's so sad to think of a family who's saying, you know, God, please just let her be okay, let her be consciously living a life and be happy and healthy. To know that that's not how it turned out had to be absolutely devastating.
Speaker 1: It was, But I have so much empathy because it's a recurring theme in a lot of these cases where these decedents broke off all contact with their family, but they just weren't able to do anything with the authorities because they were living a transient lifestyle, just kind of moving along the country, so they just couldn't get law enforcement to perform an investigation because there was no direct evidence of foul play. And I'm sure that the Kuyper family never would have thought that poor Andrea would be killed on the other side of the country and briefly be mentioned on Unsolved Mysteries, And for all we know, maybe they watched the episode but just didn't have any inkling that this Jane Doe would have been Andrea. And it was just kind of a luck that now that they had a more advanced fingerprinting system that they get enter or prints into that's how they wound up making a match. But yeah, you do feel with the families, but at the very least they finally get to their loved ones back. And I know that Andrea was transported back to Virginia so that she could get a proper burial, so her family finally does have answers. So our final entry the list is one of our most unique stories about the El Dorado Jane Doe, and this is one where she had a number of friends and acquaintances that she'd been interacting with for years, but it turned out that she had been living under a false identity before she died, and they were trying to figure out who she really was. So on July the ninth, nineteen ninety one, a blonde woman was found beaten and shot to death in her room at the Whitehall Motel in El Dorado, Arkansas. Her id said that her name was Cheryl Anne Wick, but investigators soon discovered that she had stolen this identity from another Sharyl Anne Wick in Minneapolis, who was alive and well and did not know the victim. The blonde had been murdered by her boyfriend, James Roy mcalfin, who served twelve years in prison. For the crime, but Kanacha had any light on her real identity. The woman was known to have resided in Dallas, Houston, Shreveport in Little Rock before she arrived in El Dorado, and also told her friend she was originally from Florida. In addition to Cheryl Anne Wick, she also went under the aliases Kelly Lee Kharr, Shan Wiley, and Mercedes. She had worked as a sex worker and topless dancer, had been arrested on numerous occasions for sex work and writing bad checks. It was possibly wanted for bank robbery in Virginia. She also had a bible in her possession which included names from a family she had lived with for a while. But in spite of all these leads, no one has ever been able to uncover her true identity.
Speaker 2: This one's incredibly interesting because you have someone who we actually know who the perpetrator was, and there's someone who has quite a history, and yet that whole history is underneath this alias and stolen identity of this poor woman who's living somewhere else and going that's not me. I'm alive, and well, that is not me. She must have stolen my identity. It's incredibly interesting. I wonder if it took time for this investigation to really gain traction because of her lifestyle, or did police act pretty quickly to try to figure out who she is.
Speaker 1: I think they did, Like they just looked into her name, Cheryl Ann Wick, but then they found this other Cheryl Ane Wick living in Minneapolis, and once they realized, oh, she stole this identity, we'n't got quite a mystery here. We have to figure out who this woman is because she had a lot of friends and acquaintances who just thought of her as Cheryl. They thought that was her real name. And while the other victims that we've talked about have only had composite sketches released of them, this one they actually had photographs of Cheryl that her friends had taken over over the years that they displayed on the internet. And everyone's just so confused, like, we know what this woman looks like, how come no one has recognized her? Who knows her true identity? So it became a very different mystery than the other ones on this list.
Speaker 3: Maybe she had been impersonating other people for a very long period of time that she'd been on the run or trying to evade charges in other States, and we know she went by multiple aliases, so she'd been estranged from her family and what her original name was for a very long time. Perhaps her physical appearance had changed or shifted really dramatically and the family just didn't recognize her, or the images weren't distributed widely enough for them to have been able to see them. But one thing I find interesting and I'm curious with if you have any more information, is about her murder. Did they figure out that it was a boyfriend right away? Did they think it could have been one of her clients? Did he say what the motivation was? He didn't shed any light on who she was. It was it that he didn't know, or was it that he didn't want to share any information.
Speaker 1: Well, if they solved this mystery right away, because they had been getting into an argument in a motel room and there was suddenly a gunshot and they called the police and macalvin was arrested immediately. And obviously he tried to say that she shot herself, but nobody believed that. But because they couldn't prove it, that's why he was allowed to enter a plea deal to second degree murder and only wound up serving twelve years, and he was very manipulative with the police. Like in retrospect, I believe he legitimately didn't know her real background because he'd only known her for a few years, But as the years went on he would try to like bargain with him and say with the police, if you give me money, I will finally tell you her real backstory. And are you familiar with the fort Worth missing trio case?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I'm Mark.
Speaker 2: And I lived in Fort Worth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you are ash. We might have talked about it at some point in time.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, real quick, one second digestion of it. What is the case?
Speaker 1: Okay? What's about three girls who went missing from Fort Worth, Texas in nineteen seventy four. They had gone Christmas shopping at a mall and they found the abandoned car, but they didn't find the three girls. And then the following day, her family received a letter in the mail where she said that she just needed to get away, so they all ran away together. But they don't think it was in her handwriting, and they think the letter was probably sent by someone who was responsible for their disappear urans in order to throw off the investigation I covered it all the way back on episode number two of The Trail Went Cold, way back when, and in a weird coincidence, it got mentioned just a few weeks later in conjunction with this case because Mcalvin said, Cheryl told me that during her early days she was part of a sexual slavery ring and that she was with three other kidnapped girls who were probably the fort Worth Missing Trio. But of course in retrospect, it looks like Mcalvin was completely full of it, Like, I seriously do not think that the fort Worth Missing Trio were kidnapped and sold into sex slavery, or that they crossed paths with Cheryl, So I think he was just kind of make that up to try to make money. But at the time I was like, WHOA, this is a pretty big development a connection between the two cases. But it just kind of shows that I don't think he had any idea of her background and he was just doing this just to try to get attention, and that the actual truth about where Cheryl came from was a lot less sensational. So in January of two thousand nineteen, it was announced that there had been a major breakthrough in this case. Because El Dorado, Jane Doe's DNA have been uploaded again, match and hint was made, which eventually led to an Alabama woman named Christina Tilford who had the same genetic profile of the victim. But here's where it's get interesting, because technically, even though this showed that Christina Tilford was Jane Doe's second cousin, she claimed that she had never met her and had no idea who she was, So a genealogist would identify Jane Doe's biological father as being a descendant of a Virginia cuff pole named Daniel Wood and Mamie Carter, who happened to be Christina Tilford's great grandparents and had nine children of their own. So the most prevalent theory which came up was that Jane Doe might have been conceived when one of the male members of that family had an extramarial affair and fathered an illegitimate child, which would go a long way at explaining why Christina Tilford had no idea who she was and why no one from the family seemed to know who she was either, And it would actually be another three years before they were finally able to figure out the Jane does true identity, and for privacy reasons, they haven't really revealed everything. But in May of twenty twenty two, they finally announced that the victim have been positively identified as a woman named Kelly, but for privacy reasons, they have never released her surname publicly, and most of it has been written in a blog post by a genealogy expert who worked on the case. But they have revealed that Kelly was originally born in Virginia in nineteen sixty eight, which meant that she was twenty three years old at the time she was murdered. Her mother was named Brenda, and she also had a half sister who was three years younger than her. And even though Brenda had a couple of different husbands during Kelly's childhood, one of whom was very abusive, it does not sound like Kelly ever met her biological father. I don't know if the investigation has uncovered the identity of Kelly's father, as they may have withheld that from the public for private reasons, and I don't even know if he knew Kelly's existence. But like I said, it's possible that the father had an extramaral affair or a one night stand with Brenda, and that's how Kelly was conceived, and this man just may have moved on with his life. So it sounds like Brenda Hale from a pretty unstable family. Is she had a lot of personal problems, like a cocaine addiction, and did multiple stints in jail for such offenses as grand larcity and credit card theft, and as a result, Kelly wound up spending her teen years moving around a lot with her mother, and she dropped a high school during the tenth grade, and she wound up developing a cocaine addiction of her own after her own mother, Brenda, introduced her to cocaine, which is another sad element to the story. So Kelly did a stit in rehab at age eighteen and then spent the next five years living in a number of different states where she pretty much broke off all contact with her mother and then started living under a bunch of false identities, including the name Cheryl Ann Wick, which she stole from I'm an Exotic Dancer and she was using at the time she was murdered. And as for Brenda, she moved to Florida, to live with her sister in nineteen ninety two, the year after Kelly was murdered, and even though she was sometimes was asked where Kelly was, Brenda just did not seem to know or care all that much. And she died in two thousand and eight. So pretty much it sounds like Kelly led a really troubled lifestyle. And after all this stuff with the genetic genealogy, they were finally able to figure out who she was, so at the very least, a lot of the rest of her genetic relatives finally got conclusive answers about what happened to her. They know that she got murdered, and also we know that Kelly had a genetic connection to Christina Tilford, but we still don't know the full story about Kelly's father. But yeah, this is a really convoluted backstory. I had to share with you about this one. But they finally do have a resolution.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just really sad. It's like she didn't even have a chance when she started, you know, could she have been the result of an extra marital affair and then she was this child who wasn't wanted or needed to be hidden, and then she quickly becomes in a lifestyle where it's very difficult to get out of that. Right as a young young girl, she's battling addiction and she's trying to get help. But once you start going down that road, unless you have a really stable support system, it's very difficult not to continue to use and then to do crimes to supplement your usage too. So it's just a very tragic case when you think about her early life and then how quickly it was ended at age twenty three.
Speaker 3: I think it's so sad that we still don't know who her biological father is, and the fact that her mother introduced her to cocaine, that she was at rehab at eighteen, it just speaks of a life that was filled with sadness and substance used disorder. Given her background, I can completely empathize with why she likely wanted to escape and how she ended up down the road that she ended up. And it is tragic that she died at the hands of her boyfriend, who we maybe can assume from the way that she dies that he could have been an abusive partner and that this is something that she dealt with on a continuous basis. But the fact that she didn't feel comfortable enough to share who she truly was with people that really resonated with me. Can you imagine You've got all these friends, like people have taken photos of her, but nobody knows who she truly is. And maybe because her father's out there and she feels rejected by him, maybe there's a sense that she doesn't feel like she knows who she is and that's why she goes by all of these other different aliases.
Speaker 1: Yeah, according to some of the friends she had during the last years of her life, she was very secretive when talking about her background, but which she would say stuff, Oh, I can't talk about it because I'm in a witness protection program, which obviously turned out not to be true. And I don't think she ever mentioned any of the stuff we eventually learned about her, about her having this mother who introduced her to cocaine and got her addicted. So it sounds like she was like really ashamed from like her past life, and at the age of eighteen, she just decided, I'm starting a clean slate here, I'm starting over, and she felt that the only way to do that is to commit petty crimes, travel across the country, and take up these new identities. I think she was going to continue doing it until she found a life that worked for and tragically she wound up being trapped in a terrible life with an abusive boyfriend who was also her pimp as well, so it was a pretty terrible relationship and wound up being murdered at the age of twenty three. But it sounds like she lived a lot in those twenty three years and had to go through some really rough patches. And I'm just glad that even though we don't know her last name, we can now refer to her as Kelly instead of referring to as El Dorado Jane Doe, we're referring her to Sheryl Anne Wick, and that they have finally resolved this mystery. So yeah, it's always a thrill to me because, like I said, the Huntington Beach Jane Doe and the El Dorado Jane Doe were featured on the Trail Went Cold at one point, and it's always exciting to see cases from the podcast we have a resolution after so many years, And this rings true ten times as much for this particular list, because, like I said, I wrote it in twenty thirteen, and as the years went on, they just started solving more and more of them, and until earlier this year, the only Loane hold out was little miss Panasofki, but only a few weeks before we recorded this, they finally identified her as Mare and Rowan, meaning that every single victim on this list officially got her name back. And that's why Jules and I decided that we have to do an episode about this where we go through all these cases one by one, and I'm glad we did because we have finally given names back to these people who for so many years were nothing more than unidentified John or Jane does. But now we have finally gone over the backstory for all these people.
Speaker 3: This fills my heart with joy because I feel like we have referenced, We've either covered or referenced every single one of these cases during the time that we've been doing this podcast. I think it's been five years, has it, brother?
Speaker 1: I think so. Yeah, it's almost ten year anniversary for the Trail a Cold, So I think we're getting up on our five year anniversary, which is wild.
Speaker 3: And to think that we have talked about this list for US article countless times and there was always those holdouts, and I remember the last time we talked about one of the cases and you were like, you're still miss Panasaki. It needs to be solved. And then finally coming full circle, every single person on that list being identified. Some of the mysteries aren't solved because we don't know with some of the murders who murdered them. But to have their dignity back, to have their names back, and to give the family that peace of mind to know where their loved one is, that is a beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: Any final thoughts, Ashy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, this is one of those that was a pleasure to record. I love that we got to do a three part series. And the real idea here is that these individuals mattered no matter what their life style was, no matter what their age was, no matter what their background was, right they're herited their culture, none of that. These were people's lives who were lost to some extent from either accident, violence, potential suicides, and we didn't know who these people were, which means there's a family who didn't know the end result of their loved ones life. And so for me, it's that dignity and repairing this idea to assign a name, to be able to call them by their name, to be able to give them a proper burial in many of these cases, and for the family to have an idea of what happened and a place or an ability to mourn and grieve this individual. So for decades in most of these cases, that was not a possibility, and because of police work, genetic genealogy, random tips, decades later, these individuals got their name back. And to me, that is the most incredible thing, and that your whole list was named amazing. Thank you for letting us be part of this special episode.
Speaker 1: I please you. This is definitely when my favorite episodes to record, and I've mentioned in countless times that we're seeing more and more of these cold cases get solved thanks to genetic genealogy. And there are a lot of other lists that I've written in the past where there are cases from that that have been solved. So maybe one of these days we'll be able to do another list where every single entry on my list that I wrote something like twelve thirteen years ago gets solved and we'll be able to go through them one by one. But until then, thank you so much for listening to this episodes. Next week, we'll return by doing one of our traditional episodes about an Unsolved Cold case and we will see you then, So goodbye everyone. Robin.
Speaker 3: Do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon?
Speaker 1: Yes, The Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon. If you join our five dollars tier tier two, we also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on the Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon, and if you join our highest tier tier three, the ten dollars tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsaved Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 4: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jewels and nashty patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Path Went Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very mini, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those, so we hope you'll check out those patreons will link them in the show notes.
Speaker 1: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or to rate and review is greatly appreciated. You can email us at The Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwink. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chili pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 3: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy