Speaker 1: And we are so back and it's back to nineteen eighty five. Boss, it's the very first Saturday Night's main event.
Speaker 2: I mean, can you get any better? Honestly, Like, you can feel from the moment that this this this, this show opens up. You can just feel the excitement. You can feel the craze of the fans. It's it's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like they have no expectations, like everything's gravy. They're not coming in like unless these boxes are checked on board, right, They're like, this is fucking awesome.
Speaker 2: They're not. They're not looking for a certain wrestler's move set. They're not hoping to see, uh, you know, a flippy floppy bitch.
Speaker 1: They don't book the things. They don't book the thing in their head ahead of time, and then blame the promotion for not doing exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: What they What they instead do is they get disappointed if their guy doesn't win. And wait a minute, actually, hold on a second, all baby faces go over? Holy you know, I'm just realizing that there is not a heel that goes over on this show. There's not even a heat angle where a heel lays out a baby face. No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is all Wow, I wonder how much Wild Dick Eversoll's view. You know, it's like what's fun about wrestling is kind of like keeping it lighthearted.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, you gotta have a happy ending. You know, if we're talking about every every single match being its own story, which it is, you know, it's it's it's its own chapter in the greater scheme of things, you know, and Saturday Night's main event itself is just one chapter in the greater, greater scheme of things. You know, this is just one whole story, you know, over and over again, round and round we go. And you know, people love a happy ending thing events, especially what do you what do you mean? Hence they want to go home? You want to leave the fans smiling, don't you don't you want to put smiles on faces? Write that one down? What do you mean smiles? And who's who's smiling? Who's faces? Whose smiles are we putting on these faces? Our baby faces? What? Well, I don't know about half our baby faces? What what?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Oh you are baby faces? I don't I don't know, baby, I don't understand. What on heat?
Speaker 1: Well that's years away.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's going to get hot. It's May, it's going to get hot. It's me mis forever solve all the things.
Speaker 1: That you can say about working with WWF, what would you urge just to think about on the eve of the first NBC telecast?
Speaker 2: Do you have something it's getting hot? Hey, you know what, It's May. It's going to get hot. It's going to get hot. That's it.
Speaker 1: It's going to get hot, and some like it hot. From what I understand, I don't know about, but I know about happy beginnings. They sound a little bit like.
Speaker 4: Canning Ping Tanning, can Tank Senning Kang Tranning, can kang kang kangang be cank.
Speaker 2: Tank kank gang kang kang. Woah, woah woah.
Speaker 1: Who it sounds to me I could be mistaken that there's a new driving force in late night NBC.
Speaker 2: Late Night Entertainment. Yeah, you got it right for that matter.
Speaker 1: And this all goes down after sal BelOMO beats Johnny Rods, Les Thornton beats Rick McGraw less is more indeed, John stud beats Tony Garria, Josey Luis Evena defeats Charlie Fulton, and Moondok spot pins Steve Lombardi also pinning Steve Lombardi in this evening, Pat Patterson, But enough, but enough about the Marriotte. After the show, oh ship, So we opened immediately with Yeah, Cindy Lauper and Wendy Richter, here we go.
Speaker 5: So this is what you gotta do.
Speaker 6: You gotta make sure Wendy that Moor does not grip your head.
Speaker 7: Because that she always to walk.
Speaker 8: Everything.
Speaker 9: That's right.
Speaker 2: Now, keep your trunks strong.
Speaker 10: We never become from stomach.
Speaker 2: Well did she say keep your trunks strong? Is that what she said?
Speaker 1: She said her her trunk strong. Yeah, like her her her core. Oh oh okay, all right, it's all it's all hilarious to like the NBC intelligensia, you know, like, oh, of course commenting on you know, wrestlers actually having strengths, and it's all.
Speaker 2: Because well, I mean, we all know they don't. They don't have any strengths. It's all fake. So we can't have So that leaves the creative window wide open. Of course you know we can. We can. We can make as much ship up as we want, you know, because they can't do anything. They're really very limited as individuals. It's just you know, we can make them see them bigger than they are.
Speaker 1: And look, I understand that Tindy Lapper Show showed up to NASA Coliseum having lost her voice. No problem, we can just get Edith Bunker on the phone.
Speaker 2: Always keep the trunk store, and.
Speaker 6: This time we're gonna go and there we're gonna win, and we're gonna get.
Speaker 11: That you use the bed.
Speaker 2: And destroy.
Speaker 11: That's that.
Speaker 12: I'm hulking and I won't be alone tonight when I defend my World Championship title against Cowboy Bob Barton because.
Speaker 2: By the way, uh, we need more Hull Hogan shirts with Saturday's main event logo. Absolutely nothing fucking winner thrilled than to see him wearing that. I mean, it's the same thing when he ninety two when he had the new logo on his red and yellow I fucking loved it, all right, happy made me happy. Here we go, mister b it's gonna be in mid Huh.
Speaker 1: Just saying they should. Uh, they're probably gonna run away from it now. But if he's involved, as originally a planned with this next Saturday Night's main event, they should release a T shirt at the venue of like the hul Cogan SNM E shirt.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they totally should, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Sure they'll shy away from it now. It's so funny, you know, when I saw Hogan come out on Netflix, I'm like, we should do the first Saturday Night's main event for the next one, because they were not only hitting he's not only back, but they're hitting us with commercials about how he's going to be integrated into the second special. They shied away from him, of course in the December one, and now it's like, there's no fucking chance of that, not at all.
Speaker 2: On It's it's really I don't know, I don't know. I'm at a loss. Anyway, here we go. Hold on, that's light Hulk, baby, I know that fool Riddy Rodney pipe book step.
Speaker 11: His nose in a ring.
Speaker 2: You're gonna ask to me, how pity that food?
Speaker 11: You know, Hot Pitty, that's fool too. So kip back and relax first Saturday Night.
Speaker 1: You know, I do like the the the Later theme as well, right, because that's what that is on Peacock. It's what the s N me E theme would become.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I don't know when they started doing that for real, but I like it. I like it a lot mean King Kang King can King Kan w got it? Kang Kang can King.
Speaker 13: Kang whennye wheny ween Manna.
Speaker 2: I know which of the two makes me feel like I'm playing WrestleMania for the.
Speaker 11: Ne e S's fucking right?
Speaker 2: Oh god?
Speaker 1: So, I mean that's the sizzle reel to kick things off. So we've got the bad principle between Cindy Lauper and Wendy Richter that stands for annihilated, beaten, annihilated and destroyed if you were wondering at home, which I was. And and Hogan pumps his fist at mister T at the end to that promo you just heard, and smiles at him, and we get the freeze frame, and it appears they have dubbed in Hogan chants and crowd noise right at the beginning of this because already, yeah, you can kind of see in the background of these guys talking. I don't know, maybe they did shoot Hogan and mister T in the same position that me and Jean stood to interview wrestlers right near the ramp, but this kind of looked like green screeny to me. Probably not, now that we know they only had a twenty four hour turnaround.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would imagine that they couldn't do that. That seems like a lot to do, especially back then. Yeah, to be able to get that done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably why I assigned the chance to like a pre recorded thing, because it looked like a green screen production. But now that wouldn't have been possible. And as the show envelops and you see the position they're standing in for the interviews throughout the duration, it's clear that they're standing there. So in the background you can see wrestlers like walking back up the aisle. Must have been one of the Gabbroni's I just talked about. Almost definitely, I would imagine, yeah, yeah, I couldn't really make out who it was. But so they frame them up that way and you can see kind of the lower bowl of an arena behind them, and we hit the music. You just played freeze frame of Hogan uh slamming piper with a red box around it. You know, they do that graphic with the red box around the action clips yep. And does that logo ever glow in all of its fucking neon glory?
Speaker 2: Beautiful? It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Does it survive as the logo today because it didn't used to be better.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's amazing, you know, it really is unbelievable that, you know, when you think about all the logos that they've had, that's the one, Yeah, that one in WrestleMania. Yeah, I mean, but even WrestleMania, they've changed a little bit. They have, you know, like this the Saturday's even even in in in two thousand and eight, the the Saturday's main event logo looked pretty much the same, true, like the you know, the the WrestleMania one. Yes, it has it's mostly the same, but it still has had, you know, differences, and you know, they make it look more like a you know, like a like a big sign presentation thing, and you know with different with their stupid little uh uh what do you call it, like logos and stuff to you know, well, it's more of the Vince era, I guess, Yeah, the logos different. You know, we're not gonna, we're not gonna say what number it is. We're just gonna we're gonna we're gonna in, you know, in we'll make a suggestion as to what it is.
Speaker 1: He's big on suggesting, not saying. He would suggest, but he would not say, of course I.
Speaker 2: Would suggest, I will not say, but I will suggest.
Speaker 1: Thanks to this broadcast and the credits that role at the end, we do know that logos designs for w w F at the time or courtesy of Brian Penry who's an illustrator and a graphic artist, that they used for not only this but the WrestleMania logo as well as I believe he also did the metallic w w F logo that we all deepen our hearts want to go back to. So definitely Brian Penry making a significant contribution.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: We end with that freeze frame that's kind of you know, the classic. They even brought it back when they were doing sicel reels for the Return of Snemy last year, where it ends with Hogan doing the double bicep and a freeze frame with a logo next to him. Yep, so we get that here, and then we open up on the Nassau Coliseum and interesting, they have a white backdrop on some of these Saturday Night made event banners, not black.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it is very It almost kind of kills the look of the logo because you can't see all of it. Yeah, that's a curious choice. Yeah, I think it's the this, Uh, which one of the I forget. I'm not looking at the logo right now, but some of the letters are white and so or like lighter and so they don't show up.
Speaker 1: It's very bizarre, and white just tends to look dirty, even if you don't want it to white enough.
Speaker 2: And environment like this. Yeah, it's not a good it's not a good look.
Speaker 1: So Vince, Hello, everybody, Welcome to the Nasau County Coliseum, where thousands of friendzied fans have gathered for the greatest spectacle in wrestling Saturday night.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm sorry he called Is that the greatest spectacle in wrestling six weeks after WrestleMania has already think of the past? Absolutely? Fuck it? Yeah done, it's over. Fuck it. He sucks now.
Speaker 1: They feel like big boys. Yep, so FINKX in the ring, they zoom out, they jump to Uh, they could do kind of like a jump cut. Some of that sloppiness you were talking about. Yeah, I don't like it on display right away, Vince. With an introduction, they cut some signs in the audience talk about the two biggest names and wrestling entertainment. I swear that is said, wrestling entertainment.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's what it is.
Speaker 1: Connection Lopper and uh, of course Cindy Lauper and uh, Wendy Richter, Vince and Ventura Ventor is all in pink with the ring behind them. Jesse is pumped up and excited, so he's doing his best to add.
Speaker 2: Some flair in Vietnam.
Speaker 1: He's a well, I guess that's a version of excited. The humors are excited because you may die. But he says he's excited because it's there's a National Pact six man tag team bout. And you know, Jesse loves to call him bouts.
Speaker 2: He loves a good bout. And then he started and then you can tell you forget. He also likes about of pneumonia as well.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you can tell he forgets what he's supposed to say next, and he goes as well as and he looks at Vince, and Vince goes the junkyard dog, and then Or recovers with his version of yeah, I meant to say that, So he jumped cut to the iron cheek as the voice over Vince McMahon.
Speaker 2: So bad, so bad, honestly, and I actually spent about an hour trying to figure out if that was a natural cut that they did for the actual live thing or if it was a WWE thing because it was so awkward, Like, don't mean like ww network thing. I don't think it. I think it is a legit cut in their editing, like for the show. But it was so awkward that I thought for sure it must have been something having to do with the network cut, something out in between Vince and Jesse.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think that, because it's not smooth when Peacock makes those cuts, or they make those cuts, at least they'll do a fade or they'll do something, they'll do it dissolve. They actually take the time to try to hide it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Here, it's just like God, it's like a coliseum collection, a colsum video kind of one all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: But what's kind of sad is that it's NBC doing the editing according to what you said did and you'd think they'd have a little more respect for their own, you know, craft, And.
Speaker 1: I'm sure with more time to turn it around, they would have put those finer touches on it. But here we are, as Vince invites us to Cyndi Lauper's mother's mother's Day party coming up on this episode of Saturday Nights Made Event. The arena looks so full, it looks so robust.
Speaker 2: It does. It's just it's so it's so amazing. What a simple you know, just lighting, lighting the crowd what it does, and not with red, blue and stupid colors, but just plain bright natural lights.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And here's iron Chic on the march to the Iranian flag kind of bobbing up above the heads of the fans who, just like they recreated in December, are at a very narrow aisleway and are able to reach out and slap the wrestlers as they make their way to the ring.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, as soon as someone actually grabs Cidy Laupper like something like a prop or something of Cidey lappers, and she like stops and like has to rip it back from her from the fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she spins around and gets her forceful. Yeah, it creates some memories when everybody's slapping Hulkogan and he's making that power walk to the ring. But yeah, it isn't to everybody's benefit, ye, but it does make for this school visual where all you can see is the Flag making its way down the ring. Is Fink makes the introductions, and here comes, of course Iron Cheek's partner Nikolai Volkov, coming off winning the tag team championships at the very first wrestler Mania. Here's mean Gene Okerlan now with the US Express and a Ricky the Dragon Steamboat the USA Jackets with Captain Captain.
Speaker 2: But we have a Baron Swyndham, Miken's Rotundo and Rickens Steamboat, Say Mikens, Mikeens.
Speaker 1: Mikeens, Mikens Tyson also coming up. But of course louill Bano, freshly turned babyface managers we've talked about, including whom did the Colseum Collection tribute tape to Loue al Bano. Just as the Rock and Wrestling Connection kicks off, he of course starts as a babyface, opposing Cyndi Lauper because she didn't show him the proper respect.
Speaker 2: For of course Britain s as a heel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, starts as a heel, thank you bringing her all these great heights and he deserves all the credit. And you know it goes from there, but by now he has seen the light. We've talked before about how he started to get involved with charities, and it became sort of awkward for him to be the stomp and heel manager when he was trying to use his celebrity for some good causes. So he decided to try the babyface route, and so by the time most of the rock and wrestling eras sets in as far as nineteen eighty five, goes Louill Bano as a decidedly babyface manager. He's only got about a year left with the company before they failed to see eyed I for much longer, so enjoy it well at lasts. I guess you could say here he's supporting the USA Express, the US Express and Ricky the Dragon, Steamboat Redboat tie on, Vince McMahon and gene Oakerland in case.
Speaker 2: You were wondering, Yep, that's why it should be.
Speaker 1: He's an important cout treument. Barry says, I get the best team ever I can ever get, and it's gonna get it taken care of tonight. Tonight will be the night. It's just too bad it's not a title match, So I don't know. I guess he's trying to forecast if they want those belts back, but you can imagine they would. Gane asks Lou about Freddy Blassie, who of course is the manager of Iron Sheep.
Speaker 2: Well, why why they do a tag? Why do they do a six man tag match? Then that was stupid, He's kind of Actually, yeah, you had no say in this.
Speaker 1: You couldn't have said no. You couldn't have said no to the six man tag and insisted on a tagged.
Speaker 2: Bout right get your title shot, idiot.
Speaker 1: So Bano says, if Freddy Blasi interferes anyway whatsoever, I'll cream him, bust him open. The Captain's here, baby, and this time you're gonna pay. Lou looks around with a fucking rubber band hanging off his face.
Speaker 2: I just cannot stand that. I don't understand why I can't get past him. I can't never understood why. And it really makes me angry.
Speaker 1: Why you're angry though, because it just it's so stupid. And he thinks it's charisma. He thinks you know what I mean, right?
Speaker 2: Like you know what did he do? Staple it there?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What the fuck? What's wrong with you?
Speaker 14: Man?
Speaker 2: Like be a man and fucking grow up? Look like a complete moron. I mean, seriously, seriously, you already look like a fucking bowling ball.
Speaker 1: Do you think anyone else gets a word in? Once Captain Luke gets started, he run NBC no less. I mean this guy would I'm sorry, what what was that? Well, you know, my my, my go doctor doctor Puffick and he was telling me about accompanies to the ring by his personal physician, Rodney East gave them me. I mean's tremendous. I gotta give a little man of that, the Papuffnick stuff. All that ship is fucking wild, a little a man.
Speaker 2: This is the fact that he goes off on it, and you know, he just doesn't fucking shut up. He insists.
Speaker 1: He he so insists on being in front of the camera that again there he has taking a lie detector test about whether wrestling's fake.
Speaker 2: So we can get back on TV.
Speaker 1: Goes on World News tonight back in the day just to call wrestling reel and get laughed at. He just, you know, there's not a camera he wants in front of. This guy insists on being sixty percent of his family's wedding videos, let alone Saturday Night's made event. So no one's going to stop him. So so he back go back to the ring and Freddie blasts and then walking around like a pensioner, walking around looking like a guy that got a gold watch from Ford after fifty years of service.
Speaker 2: He so fucking does. I mean he looks Yeah, he looks like you know your great uncle who retired down in the south in Florida and you know just fucking you know, loves like this. This guy. All he did his entire life was look forward to retirement, right, That's what he looks like. That kind of guy who like there was nothing else that he wanted to do more than just retire and not have to do anything. Oh my god, he's a trip man. He's from another generation. Just to see him.
Speaker 1: Wow, Remember when people walked around looking like that, old guys in particular, I.
Speaker 2: Mean especially like, I mean, how old was he at that point? Like what was he? I don't know, I gotta because like, you know, you think about what he uh, what people were, how old people were? I mean he would have been it was eighty five, he would have been sixty seven, right, Like he would have been he was sixty seven years old. Like, my dad's older than him and doesn't walk around like that. Say that again, my dad's older than him and doesn't walk around like that.
Speaker 1: It's amazing Freddie blast He's a guy who definitely got girls because he had a certain.
Speaker 2: Kind of car. Oh for sure, for sure, and he was fine with that.
Speaker 1: Thinks his Volkov's request that you all rise and respect his singing of the Russian national anthem.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at this ring and all on seeing our a bunch of l j ns walking around.
Speaker 2: I don't know about you. I know I see a bunch of stiff rubber action figures. Here we go, let's let's pay respect to the Russian anthem.
Speaker 11: Suitor ask.
Speaker 2: Russia here it is.
Speaker 5: Ha.
Speaker 2: You know what I love to is that she tries like he tempts, so you get Volkov salutes, but she also attempts a salute but he can't bend his arm. Oh I actually salute. My god, I never noticed this. What's wrong with I mean, I guess he's good problems, but you can't.
Speaker 1: Last He's out there waving his arms like challenging people to get in the ring and fight tremendous stuff like Freddy Blassie. Freddie Blassi was the first divorced guy you knew.
Speaker 2: Yes as a keep. Well, not only the first divorced guy you knew, but the first divorced guy who got divorced multiple times.
Speaker 1: That's yes, perfect, yes, yes, Freddy. Anyone who grew up with Freddy. Anyone who knows Freddy like he And I'm not saying he is, he's not. Actually he's been married to the same Japanese woman his whole life. But uh, just he's the he's the picture of the person that tries.
Speaker 2: He's not. He's not married anymore though.
Speaker 1: No, I guess we could say that's that's that's off. Yeah, it's like when someone says, uh, a woman killed her boyfriend yesterday. It's like, I think they were pretty much done as a couple once she took the knife out. But it's just about where it ended. We can say X I think safely but if not ax but so flash and right. You know we did you singing Steve Riegel's entrance music at on stage at Philly last year. Maybe next time we're on stage, you should just do the Nikolai felcup.
Speaker 2: Hald heard heard of her. I mean he doesn't even tell you saying words. No, I think he said Tollstoy in there, Dostoyevsky. I mean it just sounds like guttural you know, uh reactions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's say nothing of the main event. So and their opponents, And we have the fake dubbed over music. But it's supposed to be Born in the USA by Springsteen. Is Barry Wyndham leads the walk for the three man squad, and my god, did Peacock find the most pathetic generic I Love America song to dub over their entrance.
Speaker 2: I mean it sounds like they fucking wrote it.
Speaker 1: I know, like they whipped up in ten seconds. It says, oh, born free in the USA. Yeah, I'm proud to be American maid a pledge allegiance to the Red, White and Blue, and then it ends mercifully Captain lew on the march Steele and they're waving his arms around George and the animal Steel. Of course, the most unorthodox wrestler in the world today, according to one Vince McMahon, in case you needed to guess who said the word unorthodox. As for George Steele and Louis Bano, who were about to rejoin after, it's kind of funny we look back on George Steele wrestling Pedro Morales in seventy three last time we were with you. That's just as Louillbano was becoming the New York manager of the big heavyweight monsters, going after the world title, starting with Crush Overdue, as we talked about back when we did his Colisseum tape. And so now all these years later and they make very quick reference to it, and we'll touch on it that there was a history between Steele and Albano as manager in protege, and here they get back together. They also come up with an LJN tupac right around this time of.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that. I mean the thing too, is I've always wondered, I I you know, I knew. I never knew when and where and why George Steele turned baby face right.
Speaker 1: But why he was beloved for eating the turn buckles instead of fear right.
Speaker 2: Because like I've always known him for being a heel, and I just know that by WrestleMania two, right, he's a babyface. This is it right here, and it's amazing. I was not expecting that at all.
Speaker 1: So we got our graphics. Those have yet to be reconstituted. They still have those nineteen eighty five fonts like the WRESTLMINGI one broadcast did interesting. The Satura night's main event logo had that white backdrops I talked about. Vince says, Lou has been cranked up as never before, and there's I have no doubt about that. Okay, let's say he's closer to white planes in more ways than one. Jesse says, forty Blast, he's got the rough guys on his side, Yes he does, and Albano has the more scientific, youthful wrestlers on his side.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's interesting, you know, because because Vince does ask Jesse how he thinks the match will play out, and he goes, you know, like this.
Speaker 12: Well, it should be a real interesting matchup, Vince. You know, Freddie Blast he's got the rough guys on his side, Captain New Albano possibly a little bit more scientific wrestling on his side, and a little bit more youth on the side of Captain Lewis Albano.
Speaker 2: So, like he just said, but that doesn't really answer the question at all. He said, Jesse, how's this going to play out? And he just fucking lists stats. You're right, lists attribute They used the tail of the tape. Ah used to Yeah, he used to be very good at that, not answering the question. He was asked, Yeah, yeah, that's why they won't let me in the debates. Is that why? That's why?
Speaker 1: So George Steele and Nikolai Volkoff and the Iron Cheek versus very window, micro Tundan, Rickey steamboat. Vince points out that Albano at one time managed Steel is mentioned and manage him very well. As a matter of fact, naturally there in Cheek starts occasions and here at George Steel's like huh and gets on the apron. He has no idea whether he's legal or not. He doesn't know who his partners are, he doesn't know who his opponents are. He doesn't know what this whole thing is. And Vince says that the name of the game is teamwork. Despite a good deed, each individual is functioning as a cohesive unit despite who.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know how good.
Speaker 1: Oh No, matter how good each individual wrestler is, that's not the question here Boston. The question is how do they function as a cohesive unit?
Speaker 2: Of course, that's that's that is tag team wrestling. How do you function as a unit? Not as in are their tag team specialists in that ring. Uh well, I mean, isn't isn't Irwin the greatest technical wrestler of all time? According to I mean, how many times has that fucking said in the early nineties that that I R s is the fucking this, this master technical wrestler. He's a fucking idiot who wears a shirt and a tie, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, making Syracuse proud by wrestling time, right, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Mean even says that, you know, he Evince calls him a Syracuse great, and you know, I decided I looked him up. I looked up his reputation a little bit with Syracuse and and yes, if you look on the Wikipedia for Syracuse, and I think specifically the sports A section, it does say that he is a one of the notable alumni on the Wikipedia page. But if you look at any of the the the actual university's awards and like Hall of Fames and whatnot, he's nowhere. He's nowhere. He's not he's not a great. He's just a fucking clown. Just did it. Yeah, he just was there, and you know, he happened to get on TV afterwards. That's why he's notable because he went on TV. He's fucking fake.
Speaker 1: You want to take clickbait piece of the case for Mike Rotunda as the greatest technical wrestler of all times. Exciting need that I'll read that case being made. So Berry Windom and Iron Cheek lock it up to the ropes they go. Iron sheet comes up swing and it's blocked, and Barry Wyndham with the red cowboy boots on by the way, hauling off with some white hands. Headlock, push off, tackle down goes Iron Cheek up and over underneath the leap frog and hip toss by Barry Wyndham, and they all rejoice that he's taking the chic man off his feet. Mike Rotundo hits cheek now from the ring apron and Iron Cheek stumbles into a body slam by Barry Wyndham. Great tag team cohesion by the US Express.
Speaker 2: That's right. Good job with the Barons and Micans.
Speaker 1: Love how you've suddenly made them sound like Amish people. Jebediah anywhere close by Rickins as well, Uncle Zebecaiah. Maybe the ring has a very hollow, echoey sound. It does, it does, it really does. It's not what I'm used to. I don't know where to place it. But maybe they micd it differently for this network television show.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Tag to Microtundo, who comes off the top of an elbow, to the arm of Iron Chek, and a quick tag to Ricky Steamboat, who climbs still with the trunks. By the way, he is yet to adopt the long pants, which would be his signature looking w w F.
Speaker 2: You know, I didn't even fucking notice that.
Speaker 1: That is wild first he wore trunks, including a WrestleMania one of course. Yeah, and he fires to the arm and drops iron she with a big chop. The steamer. Vince calls him several times.
Speaker 2: Someone is hungry, someone wants to get up to Maine and and uh uh and and go to a shack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, shouldn't this be shouldn't this be in Baltimore? If we're gonna talk this much about No, that's crabs, not clams.
Speaker 2: That crab was like, yeah, Steamers, you gotta go up to Maine, to Maine, go to a go to ah fuck, I can't think of the name of it. Clinton. It's in well yeah, yeah, yeah, but there's a specific place uh in uh in in uh uh Kittery. The kitty I have the all the shops and all the shops. There's a place is that there's like a shack type establishment right there. Or you go to or you go to Browns and Seabrook if you want go to Brown's. There you go. That's we're gonna get your fucking clowns or Browns or seals the main. Oh god, get your full.
Speaker 15: We got an orders here an steamers for Charlie.
Speaker 2: Honor of steamers for Charlie.
Speaker 15: Yea, it's like you go go order the goddamn steamers. This goddamn Charlie.
Speaker 1: Thirteen ricky steamboat action figures. So u Vince says, at this juncture as well, if you're if you're looking for the words he.
Speaker 2: Uses, oh, better than at this junction, At this juncture with the blow bow tie on with dick he ever saw in the house. This you can see you, you know, you know, Vince, you I want to say juncture every now and agains. Yeah, I was, you know, I was singing that. I was singing that exact same thing. I should say junk at this juncture. It just sounds high end, you know, Yeah, Vince, Vince, I'll tell you what you say that you sound real New York. I do I do, Yes, yeah, you sound you sound real NBC. Ah, all right, juncture, what if I say something. I kind of love how Vincent right, what if I had that? Notwithstanding is that? Oh that's very NBC beautiful. Absolutely love that.
Speaker 1: Don't let to tell him twice. I love how Vince's face is still kind of fat. Yeah, he's kind of still have baby. He's a little bit of baby face to him, you know. And he's such a fucking demon, you know, such trouble in those eyes. He's such a oh yes, stir, Oh my god, so ricky seeing about cranks in the arm over and over again and keeping I mean.
Speaker 2: Think about it, think about it. He's doing all this stuff and at the same time he is considering the downfall of everybody around.
Speaker 1: Absolutely it's a necessary precondition to him achieving what he seeks to achieve. M So, a steamboat cranks the arm, they keep iron cheek in their corner, and an attempted an Irish whip could be an elbow. I don't know what it was to the pectoral area of iron cheek. Vince says he's not quite sure what it was. As Mikerotunda with a body slam and elbow drop for two. Rotunda shifts to the front face lock as Vince says, you'll normally see George Steele and individual efforts, and.
Speaker 2: So normally is the George Steele in a more individualistic nature providing himself with a with a more of a of a of a you know, one on one situation which is more appealing to him and to his to his essence. And so I gotta tell you, phrasing it that way is so much better than just saying he's usually wrestles singles, So much better, so much more NBC. That's what I was saying. I've always said I have a much more NBC ideology, right, oh sure, sure, absolutely, yeah, yeah, absolutely, oh yeah, okay, I have a much more NBC ideology. Man's.
Speaker 1: Vince goeshead and says, this is only the second time George Steele has ever teamed up. Somehow I doubt that, but I don't know. Maybe he has the records. Handy from a Howard Finkel tag to Ricky steamboat and Iron Chek is held open for some chops from the steamer arm ringer push off whip. Iron Cheek steps into the abdominal stretch of does Ricky Steamboat put the ABS stretch on or does Iron Chic Now I think yeah Chic does oh Chic.
Speaker 2: You know it's hard. They don't really do a lot of the heels. Don't really have a lot of offense in these in specifically this match.
Speaker 1: No, it's really like an offensive showcase for the baby Faces. Nobody puts the abstretch on to try to slow down Steamboat. Steamboa Hiptos is out of the hold, and then you get George Steele entering and takes a pretty awful hiplock from Rae Steamboat as well as does as does the third man on that side, Nikolai Volkov. The crowd going off, though as it devolves into a pure six brawl, still feels like a bit of artificial crowd noise here. I'm not quite sure the people are going nuts, but it just the sound doesn't exactly match what you see these bodies doing, which is always always a very disorienting experience when you're watching wrestling and here a crowd go crazy. You don't see them going crazy. The floor, by the way, has yet to have mats. We have exposed concrete.
Speaker 3: oOoOO.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's troublesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's definitely still a little bit of that sharper, dirtier edge that has yet to be sanitized by the good folks at once a Month's productions. The lightning is bright, though, I have to say that is decidedly different than the fucking cavernous dungeon that WrestleMania one took place.
Speaker 2: In where it's like you're fucking it's where it was like you're watching The Godfather forgot, so you can't see anybody's eyes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, true commercial break here and they come back in the USA, chance breaking out That sounds like it's organically coming through the crowd. We have George Steele clutching his head at ringside for some reason, I guess covering well.
Speaker 2: They said he's upset with the noise. They don't the crowd noise is bothering him. What's that The crowd noise is bothering in? I see that's what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's almost like he's actually he got hit in the back of the head or something. As Ricky Steamboat and Iron Cheek mix it up, Irish Whip and Ricky Steamboat power slams Iron Cheek rather nicely as Jesse Ventura says, Wow, what a power body slamb. Jesse also would add a little extra, one extra word that is necessary every now and then, power body lamb, power slam Jess, it's a power slam.
Speaker 2: Well, he's using the body in a different way, much like I use the body Moniker in a different way than most people do.
Speaker 1: Also using body in a different way on this night, Vince McMahon seeing here was an announcer. Steamboat goes up top with a great missile dropkick. But when he climbs a and he gets the cross body block, that only gets two though, is Nikolai Volkov makes the save and Barry Wyndham hops in and starts swinging the crowd is with that Nicolai Volcloth and Ricky Steamboat catches him with the karate style.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here we go.
Speaker 16: Listen, look at the karate's and Ricky Steamboat very successful.
Speaker 2: That's fart. Does steam would even know a single martial art? Is he a martial artist? No, he just kind of looks like Bruce Lee, right. They went with it as we talked about when we did his Colisseum tape. So he doesn't know a single fucking martial art. Yet he is a he's this martial artist absolutely from Hawaii.
Speaker 1: So Steamboat jumps in the air, pumps his fist as Barry Windham covers for two at taged micro tunda double whip, double back elbow drops. I think Iron Cheek as a Michael tundertis a high leg drop. Okay, brother, he really straight up does a leg drop and Iron Cheek kicks out.
Speaker 2: It too very much a concern. What's going on? Brother? I haven't even gone, so who's are we talking about? Push here? Broke Dick to me a brother, Brother, I got a question about why did you saw out there? Dude? I'm not going brother, I don't know who's booking this match. I know you're new to what we do. Brother, I understand who's trying to fuck with me? Brother? I don't understand. Brother. Did you see that dude kicking on a leg drop? Yeah? So what what?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 17: So?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 2: I smarting this guy up? Hello? Who are you working for? Brother? Exactly? What are you doing? Dude? Where are you from? Whoa?
Speaker 13: Who?
Speaker 17: What?
Speaker 2: Terry?
Speaker 14: Work for?
Speaker 17: Me?
Speaker 2: Coming out like this? I mean, brother, what you know? You you're kind of like in your like, why are you coming from me? Brother, It would be.
Speaker 1: One thing, brother, if I felt like you honestly didn't know the significance of the leg drop, you know that, I could I could accept that. But when I hear you say what I hear you pass it off the tone of your voice, like, what's the big deal? I kind of I have to wonder if you really do know it's a big deal and you're trying to.
Speaker 2: Fuck with me? Brother? Brother? Are you trying to fuck whole amania? Brother? Are you trying to fuck a mania? Brother? Can someone? Can somebody please get this guy away from me? I don't know what the fuck he's talking about. Can someone please get this man away? He's fucking crazy. What are you? Who are you talking to right now? You talking about my back? Can someone please get this man away from me? You're talking about Hulk Hogan that way at the first Saturday Night's main event. Someone please get this guy away from me. I'm trying to produce a goddamn TV show and this guy is talking to me about about about legs. You didn't know what a leg drop is? Like? Can I can? I does someone? I'm sorry, can you explain that does someone have like a fake leg they dropped or something like a gum drop like that.
Speaker 3: What do you?
Speaker 2: What are you? What are you talking about? What are you talking about? Dude? Hey, look, I'm I'm not yelling at you, all right, I'm not raising my voice. I'm simply trying to get to the bottom of this because I'm trying to produce. I tell you security, Please, can we take this guy out of here? I don't even know who he is?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: Who I know?
Speaker 12: Why I am?
Speaker 16: Dude?
Speaker 2: Well, you know why I am?
Speaker 12: Brother?
Speaker 2: Please, I don't understand. All right? What are you doing here? Really fucking me?
Speaker 18: Right now?
Speaker 2: Dude, I'm really starting to get freaked out. And I did Did I drop acid and forget about it or something? I'm thinking Bob Morton. Brother, I don't know who that is?
Speaker 1: Okay, now it's all clear. And then Hogan wakes up from the from the nightmare that's that's Hogan's nightmare of the night before sn Dick Eversol is not going to know who he is. And then somebody else is going to manipulate Dick into thinking he's Hult Gogan and walking out there and rustle.
Speaker 2: Hey, we got that Barry Wyndham guy. He's blonde. He's taller. Let's have him be Helkgan.
Speaker 19: Wait, well, Baron's hogan dude, Green, Baron's hogan brother, parent's media, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Barren's bolea with double B brother?
Speaker 1: What Brian Blair coming in, dude? So yeah, that's all a long way of saying. Mikero Tunda hits a big leg drop in this match, but yes he's kicked out at too, and then George Steele grabs the hair to break up the cover and that's blatant, Vince declare is blatant. Uh Nikolai Volkoff blindsidesman tries to slam micro Tom, but Mike with the go behind does the O'Connor roll for a count of two. Nicolai Olakoff swings and missus and Mikerotunda with the backside for two, as Vince shouts, hill get him for sure this time, which you know what that means, he will not exactly Michel Tunda with a sunset flip and they end up in the row. Unfortunately, for some reason, Nikolai Volkoff just can't not fall into the ropes when he gets sunset flipped.
Speaker 2: He's such a buffoon, you know, he's just he's just a he's just like a lethargic oaf absolutely nickolay Olf cough of cough headlock and attag to Berry Wyndham, and he stays on volkov headlocking to push off.
Speaker 1: Berry Wyndham ducks and leaps and with sunset flip and again they end up entangled in the ropes with no chance of a two count uh tag to George Steele and here comes here he comes having a fucking seizure.
Speaker 2: You know how that goes?
Speaker 1: Ye lock up and Darry Wyndham starts swinging on him, and George Steele answers with cuffing right hands, and then Volkoff and Iron Sheeke drop off the apron, not wanting to tag and help George Steele. They want to get the fuck out of there. As the flash bulbs start going off, Berry Wyndham sneaks up from behind on the befuddled and helpless and abandoned George the animal steel with an O'Connor roll of his own. That gets the one, the two, and the three. Okay, and ladies and gentlemen, this is the answer to the trivia question the very first Saturday Night's main event, What was the first matchup that it was indeed what we just recapped for you as Barry Wyndham, Mike Rointundo and sorry, just trying to pull up the match time here and when you steamboat full caught fire and cheek and George Steele six minutes thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: To kick off. I still don't really understand why the Heels didn't want to tag in, Like why did they abandon George Steel? Again, he didn't hit anybody, right, he didn't make a mistake. No, he just tried to tag out and they bailed on him for some stupid reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he tried to fucking help basically, right exactly, they would kind of air drop, heal and face turns out of nowhere. Back then, sometimes it wouldn't really have a whole lot of forethought to it. It was just, oh, we need this guy to be a baby face now, so let's shoot an angle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there are a million But you could still just have him hit somebody, yeah, and that would explain it. But the fact that they made no reason why they didn't want the tag it's very weird.
Speaker 1: They fought with him for so long. It's not like they if they wanted to abandon him. They should have just abandoned him at the opening bell, right, It's like fodd a Button took a bunch of damage and then left to maybe I guess the idea is they were sick of taking damage and didn't think steel was gonna save him. Maybe send him into battle and we're not gonna fucking deal with this anymore. But whatever the case, and this all leads to, uh, we'll get to it. And so all these people start rejoicing. Kids in WrestleMania T shirts and dads in flannel. Okay, if you're looking for the picture. Oh yeah, dad's in flannel kids and WrestleMania T shirts with the fucking the Trucker hats, you know, with hul Cogan yellow and red all over him. And George Steele makes his way.
Speaker 2: And Dad's in flannel with their arms crossed for the most part. The fuck out of air blease Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: And then kind of getting pumped up Whenhulk comes out.
Speaker 2: Is this the Hulk? Is this the Hulk?
Speaker 20: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Go Hulk. Oh so we can go home after this, right, it's over, right, there's fucking more fuck me.
Speaker 1: For some reason, his fucking mild and nine eighty five reads the newsletters and he's like, yeah, they're going home, all right, Dad, They're going home or not. There's two more matches to go. So George Steele makes his way to the corner, rips it open and here's the yellow popcorn everywhere, and Jesse doesn't get why he's doing this and another do we Iron Cheek and Nikolai Volkov.
Speaker 2: Then not only do they.
Speaker 1: Abandon George Steel boss, they then attack him. Of course, why not, Like, are they mad at him for losing the match? They left him there? Maybe if they helped him and he's still lost, then you almost understand the frustration of a beat down exactly.
Speaker 2: I just don't understand. I guess it makes no sense, just.
Speaker 1: The kind of cruelty that can be inflicted on people that are born with the condition of George and the animal Steel, I suppose is what they're going for. So they attack him from behind and this is the face turn. Like you said, Steel starts swinging and they bail on the crowds getting into it that George Steele actually can both of them off. Louell Bano then gets in the ring and this is a moment, you know, because they had history together and he gets in there, and he's trying to calm George Steele like a lion tamer of sorts. As Vince McMahon says on the broadcast that Louill Bano is, in fact George Steele's form manager brings that up again, George Steele looking at the heels like a barking dog. You can see that there's no announcer sitted ringside. There's just empty chairs where the announcers typically are, which is fine because you know in reality they were positioned up towards the isleway watching monitors. And then George Steel goes to the corner, reacting like a I don't know, like an abandoned dog. As Louislbano pats him and caresses him. Vince continues calling George Steele the most unpredictable wrestler there is, as Iron Cheek and Nikolai Volkoff and Freddy Blassie all make their way to Jean's position near the entranceway and Jean gets a quick interview. He says, you have obviously shunned Orge Steel.
Speaker 2: I got this for you here, all right, ladies and gentlemen, we're back here.
Speaker 14: I have gonna cry sort all of this out mass confusion, just limited Iron Cheek, Nikolai Volkoff obviously sunned, you, obviously sunned George, the Animal Steel, whatever the world is going on?
Speaker 2: Crazy the fruitcake. This guy didn't tag when he was upposed to. Wait, he is out there the whole thing.
Speaker 14: Oh wait a minute, hold on, couple blue while Paddle touched the Animal Steel cut.
Speaker 11: Out by the way, turn my place. I am sorry, you out all right, thank you.
Speaker 16: I'm sure that's not the last we'll hear about this shocking turn of event.
Speaker 2: Shooking nice ad there.
Speaker 14: I like that.
Speaker 1: And of course you have lou stumbling around the frame as Iron Chic and Nikolai Volkoff are standing there screaming at the camera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like that. They that. That's also part of the problem about having these interviews where they're having them is that everybody walks by like, you know, you're causing trouble by just standing there. Absolutely you know this, and and they don't really follow through with much of the conflict in in that part of the arena, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I do like the general idea, kind of like a sports inspiration of interviewing people right after they do something. Newsworthy on the field of play, so to speak. But I never understood why they don't just have them in the locker room like right, or just have them when they come through the curtain, you know, come off step to the side. Whenever they do post match interviews, they always seem to want to do them right in the environment where these guys were just fighting for their lives and the guy they were trying to kill is feet from them and could attack them again. Just doesn't seem like good practice. But yeah, here it's especially awkward because the baby faces just walk right by where the heels are standing and a brawl does not erupt for some reason. So that's that's kind of that's kind of testy. But this, of course leads to George Steele on Tuesday Night Titans being brought to a speech therapist for one of their infamous skits where Louil Albana was trying to you know, basically give George Steele not only speech therapy but a bit of if I remember correctly, and didn't they show this in one of the Colisseum videos, he gets like shock treatment to see if he can stret talking straight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's something like that. I feel like I feel like that'slike most unusual things or whatever, right, which is weird.
Speaker 1: Because he used to actually form sentences as a heel when Albano managed him in the seventies on promos. It wasn't like he was a guy that was mute, That wasn't really part of his character. He didn't make a lot of sense when he opened his mouth, but he would say things. It wasn't like George Steele was, you know, someone that would just bake grunts and groans. But this iteration Rock and Wrestling era George Steele was. We turned to his book quickly George Steele to talk about this turned out to be a pivotal year for him, a pivotal moment for him. As you know, really, when you consider the amount of eyeballs looking in on WWF at this time period, this is the George Steele they remember. This is the George Steele that you know, resonates and reverberates even more so than the one that was selling out the garden with Bruno. He writes in his book, I would soon really be flying high in the WWF and it had to do with one of the most remarkable transformations. This side of Doctor Frankenstein's Monster. That was the moment I went into the ring as one of the wildest, most hated heels in the history of professional wrestling and emerged from it as a warm and fuzzy teddy bear. It was a six man tag team match. My team was made up of the hated George, the Animal Steel, the villified Iron Cheek, and the despised Nikolai Volkoff. Our opponents were the Red, White, and Blue American team of Ricky the Dragon, Steamboat Berry Wyndham at Mike Rotundo. I wound up getting pinned by Wyndham and during the match, the Iron Cheek and Volkoff refused to be tagged by me. After the bout, I fought off an attacked by the Iron Cheek and Volkoff. Shaken, I had to be consoled by Captain Lou Albano. A few moments later, I was led from the ring by a sympathetic Captain Lou Geneokrilin was conducting an interview near the entrance way with Chikin Volkoff, and I decided to throw a few punches at Volkoff before going backstage. It was all on Saturday Night's made event. The crowd went wild. All of a sudden, I went from heel to hero, from bad guy to babyface. It was as if I had punched out a mugger trying to take Uncle Sam's wallet. It truly was a magical moment. And that was when I decided to retire from teaching and coaching and become a full time wrestler. I was forty eight years old. What it was forty eight.
Speaker 2: When this happened.
Speaker 1: You imagine retiring from your teaching job that you kept through your fucking thirties, and people trying to stab you at the garden and stuff and all the that didn't cause you to consider going full time, But now you're going to go full time at this age. He has a very unique career trajectory this guy experienced. From then on, he writes, George, the animal Steel could do no wrong. My conduct in the ring did not change much. I would still beat up my opponents. I would rip at their arms and tie them up in my autographed flying hammer lock. But I'd show my green tongue and eat turnbuckles. But instead of being repulsed, the fans ate it up. I would still chase referees and announcers. I would throw chairs. The fans loved it, a lesson their boss. And what makes a great babyface? Yeah, god knows. I don't fucking know not to say he's a great babyface. But you know, he doesn't change what he does. He just starts doing it to motherfuckers we hate. Yeah, and now he's our bad guy, a real head scratcher, because he says nothing in his book about the idea that there was an element of improvisation to this baby face turn on Saturday Night's main event. But when he spoke to Danny Burke Holder at CBS Sports, who wrote an oral history piece on WWFN nineteen eighty five. It interviewed George Steele, along with many others who were in and around the scene at the time. George Steele offers a version of events where he didn't even know that he was set to turn face on this show until Luel Bano came out.
Speaker 2: Are you serious?
Speaker 1: That's what he says. And I have no idea why he would say this if it wasn't true, and b why he wouldn't say it in his own fucking book considering if that was the case, That's the most interesting part of the whole story by a mile. But here's what he said. When they beat me. The reaction from the crowd was unbelievable and out of nowhere, Vince was watching what was going on, and he sent Captain Lou who had been my manager for many years, back to the ring. When he came out, I had no idea what to do. I'm looking at him like I'm going to fight, and he's kind of wanting to slow me down. Finally, just out of nowhere, I dropped on one knee and I put my head in his fat belly. He started heading my head like I was an animal. The place went absolutely crazy nuts. He is the animal, So I I don't know why that would be unusual. Yeah, I don't know why what he's going for there. Maybe he's maybe he's trying to k fab a bit and kind of you know, like the character didn't know what to do. That seems very weird to me, very weird. Yeah, there's absolutely no way they booked the finish the way they did with George Steele being abandoned, unless there was a prescribed plan to turn a babyface after the fact, you know, I don't know. I find that hard to believe that they would do that finish, which perfectly sets up the steel babyface turn if they didn't plan on consummating it right then and there.
Speaker 2: But who knows.
Speaker 1: Back to the broadcast, Finn says, let's go to ringside for what we call Piper's Pit with two of Rustling's baddest dudes, and the ring Matt has been replaced with a tartan rug and we've got we've got Scottish vibes here, boss, don't.
Speaker 2: We we do? Indeed here, I got this, this, this whole segment for you here because it's just it's it's pretty wild. I sit down, sit.
Speaker 9: Down, sit down, sit down, sit down, sit down, sit down. I want to talk to your man to man. I want to talk to your man to man about WrestleMania. I want to talk to your man to man about WrestleMania.
Speaker 2: And the house. He does, he like repeats himself so many times, it's very odd. Yeah yeah, and he said. Then he says the same phrase over and over again.
Speaker 17: Let me tell you something, Ace getting that corner dunce.
Speaker 2: Oo sick burn dunce done. He's like, what does that mean? Go ahead? Make my day?
Speaker 11: Wait?
Speaker 2: Wait wait, wait about Bobby. Bobby boy, what damn it? Bobby going to the corner. That's would you mind going in the corner? Mister Orton? Okay, he's a little afraid.
Speaker 13: He's a little afraid.
Speaker 2: Are you a happy person now? Huh huh.
Speaker 13: I'm not sit down, sit down, ladies first, Okay, okay, I'm sitting.
Speaker 2: I'm sitting. Listen.
Speaker 9: I want you to understand, said, I understand what you're going through, and I have I feel sorry for you in a way because after all, after all, I don't know what it's like myself, but you.
Speaker 11: Are a loser.
Speaker 2: It's tide, sid I'm a loser. Huh.
Speaker 9: Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa Whoamy?
Speaker 2: Was he the rock?
Speaker 1: That's what happened. When he goes out without a script. You know he's gonna lose himself in the middle of this.
Speaker 2: He really does. Like he sounds like a fucking just a complete lunatic out there. You want to talk.
Speaker 21: You wanted to sit down, sit down, sit down, said, I'm sitting, Okay, I want to sitting down. Sit down, man, sit down? Do you want to talk about WrestleMania?
Speaker 2: Sit down? Sit down.
Speaker 9: Let's face facts, man, I ain't no loser in WrestleMania. It wasn't my shoulders that were pined to the ground. It was your shoulders. You're sitting here being a big shot. It was your shoulders that were penned to the ground.
Speaker 2: Brother, not me. Well, let me tell you something right now, Piper. Where were you at when it was all over and done with?
Speaker 7: Huh?
Speaker 2: Where were you at? I was doing my job?
Speaker 17: Oh yeah, he was doing your job, hot tailor that back to the dressing room, and you left me there.
Speaker 21: Molonely baloney, No, no, I was fighting to you. I was fighting hog. I was fighting everybody, everybody that wants to fight.
Speaker 17: You know.
Speaker 9: You know what's who was doing. You know what's happened to you? Man, I'll tell you what happened to you. You lost your guts, man, that's what I think. Hey, I picked you for a partner. I cook you under my wing. You lost your guts, brother, and you tell me you didn't.
Speaker 17: Let me tell you something, Piper. I'm gonna tell you what you've been doing. You've been drinking too much of your own bathwater. It's what you've been doing.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. What what does that mean. I've never heard that phrase before drinking your own bathwater? I don't. I don't really understand what he means. What does that? What does that do if you drink your own bathwater?
Speaker 16: What?
Speaker 2: I don't understand. But I mean maybe it's like a version of believing your own shit. I mean, but just say believe, you know, drinking your own kool aid or whatever, like, don't listen, listen you want to like, why would I want to drink my dirty water?
Speaker 14: You know?
Speaker 2: That's what I don't understand. Like it's like that's there's nothing pleasurable about that. It seems like I'm looking it up here. It seems to be a phrase that kind of implies that someone is excessively self congratulatory, like they're so full of their own shit that like they drink their own bath water because they think they're so amazing that even their bath water is drinkable, you know, like they can't even contaminate their own bath because they're so fucking awesome. Okay, all right, I guess I guess you want me to tell you. You want me to tell you on the square?
Speaker 17: Man, you want me to tell you something.
Speaker 2: On the square? I think you're nothing but a piece of garbage. Man, No, no, you're hey.
Speaker 9: You want to fight, I slap you just as fast as you slap me. Let me tell you something, man, you're nothing about.
Speaker 21: A piece of garbage. Not only did you embarrass me? Did you embarrass ace? You embarrass your own family. You keep my family out of that. You'll start a dumb sign it up? What Wait, if that's the way you're gonna be, If that's the way you're gonna be by the I'm gonna take my ball and I'm leaving to heck with you.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 22: Oh no, oh no, oh no, but paper look at pass.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, he's coming.
Speaker 11: To the purper.
Speaker 2: Shut him up for the pow timer huts him up.
Speaker 11: Hold a minute, persees from behind of the cast. Papa, he's just waiting. Oh my god, he look.
Speaker 2: Away.
Speaker 22: Wait, mister, tell you what por not?
Speaker 8: Silly?
Speaker 2: Papa? Cast You can say that again. Yeah, I'd say most people get NOx silly from the cast. I do something like that was coming at some point. Uh.
Speaker 1: You should know that Paula or Dwarf is worried. The brightest white daisy dukes you've ever seen on a man. I know these tall athletic socks pulled way up in white sneakers.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know, what a weird what a weird look for men in the eighties, I know, fucking short short, the booty shorts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, essentially, you know, the winner for most nineteen eighty five dressed goes to him, and second is mister T with the tight blue pants with the three Adidas white stripes up the side.
Speaker 3: It's the lapt fan wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the lampsed Fan. He's an lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Carno, MJP Sorrow, just.
Speaker 2: Just wild.
Speaker 1: Piper has his director's chair in the middle of the ring too, by the way, for this production. And yeah, so it's it's big time finger pointing over what happened at WrestleMania leading to the face turn there of Paula Worndorf and put on a platform, you know, the biggest one they could muster at the time here in NBC, no doubt, to create a bankable number two baby face in Mister Wonderful and he does an okay job. It's kind of meandering and kind of weird, but it happens, and and you heard the whole thing there courtesy of the boss.
Speaker 2: So that's good. Yeah, let's see, so.
Speaker 1: Paull and Dorff spills out to the concrete because Paul and Droff starts pulling Piper around by the hair and going for the pile driver. But you know what happens, Ace bob Orton claps his hands together and close lines Pollow and Dwarf. Of course it doesn't just close line and he claps first, so that sense a Pollow Dwarfs spilling to the concrete. You hear a loud noise at this juncture, almost like a beer pong ball hitting something.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's audio bleeding in from somewhere else. Mister T now runs out with his weightlifting thing, tending to Pollow and Dwarf his weightlifting a outfit no Hogan, though Hogan does not come out to help mister Pollow Dwarf at all. Only mister T and Vince says that Polo and Dwarf has Piper up in that special pile driver. Special pile driver isn't that what they called it when George Steele did it? Everyone standing and uniform security and brown flooding Ringside apparently just came off the shift at UPS.
Speaker 2: Yes, and did you see it?
Speaker 1: I saw it, Mel Phillips Ringside occasionally laboring, and hey, I gotta say Tom Cole was from around Long Island. You do have to you do have to take a moment to consider that there may have been a fuck room keys exchange just the ring was being set up.
Speaker 2: Huh not okay? Not okay, is correct.
Speaker 1: So this is also when Tony Chimmel would be part of the ring crew when they'd come to New Jersey, New York e last time. Yeah, do you remember one of the Colosseum videos We spotted him ringside before he was a ring announcer, just kid, I do, I do vaguely he was friends with friends with Tom Cole. He was friends with somebody who WWF would turn two to set up rings and get those kind of logistical things down when they'd come to the Tri State area, and that was really his entre. That's how he first got into a w F building as a kid helping set up the ring, not as a ring announcer. So what mean genius with Hulk who's got the White American Band?
Speaker 2: And we go from there he goes in. Uh Jean says, uh, says this here all right, I thank you very much.
Speaker 14: Vince McMath Hulk Hogan, Hulk Hogan, you have just seen what has happened and rowdy rot Piper's pit.
Speaker 19: Well, you know something, mean Jean, that's all went down in Piper's pit. Brother, this is just typical in the kind of dudes we need to get out of the wwe I'm just so happy, man. You know, it's Mother's Day coming up real soon because I got a special surprise. This is gonna be a special for my mother.
Speaker 2: Brother.
Speaker 12: Brother.
Speaker 2: What what mother? Mother? Mother? Brother what? That's what he says. I who's who's brother? What's going on?
Speaker 19: And I can't think of anybody else I'd rather get in the ring than cowboy Bob Orton, the dude with the bust it up arm.
Speaker 2: You know we're gonna see how bad it is tonight, mean Jean.
Speaker 11: All right.
Speaker 14: On the subject of Paul Orndorf, I'm very curious to get your reaction to his big trains.
Speaker 2: Over the past few weeks.
Speaker 19: Well, you know it's funny, mean Jean, the dude who was going around for so long busting people up. Man, and all of a sudden he felt what it was like inside to have some people behind him.
Speaker 14: What ah.
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: Who wrote this? Dude? Dick ever saw wrote it? Terry? Who's behind bro? What do you mean behind me?
Speaker 11: Dude?
Speaker 14: Yo?
Speaker 2: Yo? Cut brother, Dick comm here, dude, command no, no, but why no? We're alive, hug what we were live for?
Speaker 9: What's going on?
Speaker 2: Dude? We're We're on tape. Who's something the air until tomorrow?
Speaker 12: Brother?
Speaker 2: I know it's not Saturday night? Dude? Wait a minute? Is this? Are we sure on Saturday night? Dude? Wait a minute? Is it Friday nights? Made a man?
Speaker 17: Is it?
Speaker 2: Wait? What?
Speaker 1: And then like he looks at the camera. He looked at the camera frozen, like, am I actually live to the whole country right now? Leap your brother right, leap frog here and all these whole comaniacs out here, brother, they get behind me? The behind me dude again again, he says it again, but get behind the dude. I see a total change of hearder than dude.
Speaker 22: Man.
Speaker 2: I wish him the best and I just hope he keeps it up. If you dig it, I can dig it?
Speaker 14: Howboy pop work in the cast, Dolly arm A title offense for you.
Speaker 12: I don't know what you're gonna do.
Speaker 2: Well, what he's gonna do, White Holster. Holster runs wild on you. Daddy, he said, Daddy, Daddy, should you say mommy? It's mother father's He says, daddy. I thought it was more of a ruth than a pall night. I know, right.
Speaker 1: I guess we're tipping our cap to the pipe fitter as well as the home the home maker.
Speaker 2: I guess here, Terry.
Speaker 1: You know, that's one thing Hulk always had in common with his mother. His mother was a homemaker, and Terry was a housemaker. Just look at the fucking crowd here. Thanks for the house.
Speaker 2: It was a house builder. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: So yeah, great promo there, just very typical of the era. And and it's all there and his eyes shift off frame just very quickly. As he's wrapping up the promof he watch Hulk's eyes.
Speaker 2: He's talking about a lot of people coming behind a lot of people coming from behind in that he was very nervous. He's realizing mid stream that this thing could be a setup, and his eyes start getting active. Johnny Weaver eyes going on there.
Speaker 1: I just have to picture, you know, the bright light on Hogan as he's cutting this back, cutting that out there, and Dick ever saw right behind the camera with his arms folded, you know, with like a clipboard in his hand, like producing so to speak.
Speaker 2: Yes, the head set on and like just shaking his head. What are you shaking his head for?
Speaker 20: What?
Speaker 2: At the hinds of the high sign? Brother, we are, we are, we are, we live? What's going on? Bro? What's going on?
Speaker 15: I do?
Speaker 1: I am kind of falling in love with this idea that like Hulk gets the bug in his ear that this is actually live and no one tells him, and like all the TVs in the arena have been like purposely gimmicked to not show the thing. If he tries to check for himself, that's pretty fine. It's Friday night's main event, brother, or.
Speaker 2: Just someone told him someone woke up. It's like he doesn't realize that that that, you know, he thinks somebody someone woke him up on Saturday. They skipped the.
Speaker 1: Day, gets the building hit Dick, come on and brother, Yeah, well we'll look said about to night. It's a big night, Dick. Are you can you guarantee me one hundred percent looking in the eyes and tell me this isn't going to be live ten on on NBC.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's gonna be an essence Live the tape not the answer I was looking for. Brother, tap You're going to make me ask you what that means? Dude? Wow, listen, I mean live the tapew You know it's pretty self explanatory. You're not going to say anything else. I mean, do I need to? I mean everyone else understands. Why don't you, Terry.
Speaker 1: I know you're new to the real TV business here, but you really ought to know what live to tape means?
Speaker 2: By now what do you what do you mean real TV? What's going on?
Speaker 15: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Is this gonna be like? Are filming now? Because I'm taping up right now? Is this live to tape? I mean I got taped?
Speaker 3: Is this like?
Speaker 2: Are you feeling me taping my wrist? Brother? What are you? What's your purpose? Do there are there cameras in here? Dude? Wait? Are you filming me? Now? Brother?
Speaker 17: What is that?
Speaker 2: That's a trash can? Terry? No, but what's inside? Okay, forget what's inside the trash can? Forget it? So why why do you tell me to forget it?
Speaker 17: Brother?
Speaker 2: Are we doing this again.
Speaker 1: We live, Dick, tell me the truth, brother, this is not going to be the start of a fruitful, mutually beneficial relationship if we can't trust trust each other.
Speaker 2: Dude, Listen, listen, I'm gonna be I'm gonna be blunt with you, Terry. The relationship is in between you and me, between me and Vince McMahon. Brother. WHOA. So you're saying this is live, dude? You so I'm live right now. I'm like, you're broadcasting me right now, dude, to millions of people around the world.
Speaker 1: And you know what happens at this point, boss. We get the full frontal final scene with the big zoom out and we realize it's all a stage, and sitting in the director's chair is Ed Harris himself.
Speaker 2: Don't walk through that door, Terry, No worry about that, brother.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, I'll walk through it, but I'll test it for heat, just like Joe peshe.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: So we pitched to the ring after that promo and Piper and bob Orton are still in there. The rug has been taken out from the Piper's pit set. The Challenger ace cowboy bob Orton is introduced and they hit real American on the peacock version, of course, I of the Tiger in the moment, and there's some fist bumps.
Speaker 2: And Bob Orton as usual being played by Gene Hackman. Say it again, I said, Bob Orton as usual being played by Gene Hackman.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely doesn't take long to cast that role. Pun intended by the way, so Hogan makes the walk steps out. I mean, this is the whole Cogan from a print ad for Colisseum home video, is it not?
Speaker 2: Oh fuck yeah, this is it. This is the whole Cogan of the period of the era.
Speaker 1: Holding his hands up, slapping hands, pumping his finger up on the way down the aisle. That's again very tight, and it's being slapped by all these whole Camaniacs, hands everywhere, trying to touch the hulkster and they play Eye of the Tiger. And if that's how God intended it to sound, we feel obliged to share it with you. This is how it should sound, and this is how it did sound on the night.
Speaker 11: Eight elbow. Oh come, this is a poet.
Speaker 2: Let it meets come up.
Speaker 17: No real fee pounds.
Speaker 11: Oh world looks like federation.
Speaker 22: Tell me, wait to tell me Hoo Hooker's pay d me le track hook Hoger makes your head trip for the time the world last week. But Ala said, chuck it up three hundred two pounds. I know what trouble that pot on the bank.
Speaker 11: Truck?
Speaker 14: What like run.
Speaker 1: I don't know about you, boss, but I'm staying tune past that commercial break.
Speaker 2: I mean, seriously, you know you hear people going that crazy for somebody you can't help, but want to.
Speaker 1: Watch fade in Vince. It's electric three hundred two pounds Hogan on the apron with the pointing and you know how it goes, tosses the headband and starts bouncing around. Someone has the headband that Hulk Hogan wore to the ring on the first Saturday Nights made event think about that. Yep, that's a keepsake. Yep, Hogan Hot. Watch them like they just threw it away.
Speaker 2: Oh totally, you know, Oh it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Hull Cogan through this to me and they just like throws it on a coffee table and eventually it gets brushed off by like, you know, a plate of food, and then it gets under the couch and no one sees it until they move out, and then they throw it in the fire. Ah, they go the extra bio. There's too much clutter in here.
Speaker 2: We're gonna start throwing shit in the fire. Fucking guts.
Speaker 1: It's a normal guy, of course, that's the guy who caught the fucking headband. Mister, we gotta throw things in the fire of all the.
Speaker 2: People, Well, my house is too clutter. We just throw shit in the fire.
Speaker 1: Just landed in the hand of somebody had an apartment and didn't have a fucking fireplace. Do we have to get a pyromaniac to catch the damn thing?
Speaker 2: Listen, everyone in the house, you take twelve things and we're gonna put in the fire. I don't care what it is. We're getting rid of shit. It's like the houses.
Speaker 1: The fucking headband is in in the air in Nasau Coliseum and this guy jumps and fights valiantly to break it from the clutches of the guy next to him.
Speaker 2: What the fuck, man, he goes, I got a light of fire with it. This is where my fireplace data, that's my fireplace. What do you mean the mantle?
Speaker 7: What a burnet?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna burn This fucking basic guy really doesn't like Hulk Cogan. Huh.
Speaker 20: It's like that.
Speaker 2: I don't even think that guy even knows whul Cogan is. And I have to listen to him. I mean, why are you here? Don't ask me questions. I I'm here because I deserve to be the.
Speaker 1: Guy, the guy who goes to live arena events, wrestling. He goes to everything for the express purpose of catching something that he can take home and throw in the.
Speaker 2: Fireplace, because ify bringing it home, he cluttered his house too much. You better throw better burn it right away. They call him fire Boy or fire Lloyd, maybe fire Lloyd.
Speaker 1: So Hogan hopping around, beating his chest, building up the anticipation, cups his ear to a series of flash bulbs, and there was a bit of did.
Speaker 2: You notice did you notice that the one of the hard camera I think that the close up hard care splatter, the little fucking red splotches, like like blood.
Speaker 1: It's like one little red dot that they've got on the lens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it looks like like that that blood splotch, that that that animated blood splotch in in Earthquake, You remember, I remember that at all. But it's like this obnoxious blood that just goes into the screen. That's so fake an earthquake.
Speaker 1: The only the only concealed blood I remember from Earthquake was when he said on the snake. But it's noticeable because the blood splatter is right where Hogan's hand is when he cups the ear.
Speaker 2: Right exactly can miss it. So they it's very like, I'm curious. I mean, it must have been some kind of a lens issue, because, like you know, there's no way blood fucking made its way to one of the hard cameras. It's too far away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'd be willing to bet it's just some colored distortion or something.
Speaker 2: Boss.
Speaker 1: I'd vote you to consider this because it strikes me that this is the heart of the whole thing. I've telled this story before. The only time I remember as a kid staying up for Saturday Night's made event, I dozed off on the living room floor before probably an hour before it even was to start, and I woke up in like this this haze because wrestling was on the TV, but I'd already been out for an hour or two, and I was Yeah, I remember seeing like an event center set with Rick Martel there. I don't know what it was, but it was it was like, oh, I'm fucking going to bed like it's on. It's on this late, this is insane. But I do invite you to consider being the whole camaniac you had become. Just rewinded a bit. Consider yourself. You know, eight years older than you are, and here you are Peak Hall Camania on May eleventh, nineteen eighty five, and you've convinced your parents to be able to stay up and you're parked in front of the television set. How agonizing is this commercial break? Oh, between Hull Cogan's entrance and his match.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's It's the worst. It's the absolute fucking worst. I mean, look, I don't know what time that February ninety two, Saturday's main event came on. I'm not sure what time that came on. All I know is that there was no fucking way I was missing it. And I remember being that excited for hul Cogan then being a fan of Hull Cogan in eighty five. At this point, I mean, I can imagine my heart would have been racing the entire time, and I would have just been like I probably actually, honestly, I would have ignored that that commercial break and I would just been like come on, come on, Yeah, you wouldn even watch the TV. Yeah, I'd be I'd be pacing around the pacing around the room like I would do at the end of every Royal Rumble match. Oh when I was young. What a moment that is? Huh, always fucking like pacing around like just what's you know even even any any of them? Any of them. I'm my heart is racing for a baby Face win at a Royal Rumbles down a four.
Speaker 1: It's down a four, yep. So when we do come back to and Hogan ripping each other's shirts off, that's kind of weird. And Vince certainly excited at the visual Hulk and Tea conferencing a bit. And here it is for the WWF Championship Hulk Hogan to defend against Cowboy Bob Orton at Saturday Nights made of Van Orton with the stirrups still on before meeting Hogan in the center, and Jesse sees nothing controversial about that arm cast on.
Speaker 2: Bob certainly not again like I mentioned before, like the fact that he's medically clear to compete despite having a broken limb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think your issue is with the commission, not Bob.
Speaker 2: Orton. Yes, not Bob Borton itself. My issue is with the commission who allowed him to wrestle, right the.
Speaker 1: New York State Boxing Commission did apparently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they need to be you know there, I think an investigation needs to be uh needs to happen.
Speaker 1: So after they come to the center for the quick face off, Hulk turns around to retreat to his corner, and you better believe that that creates the you know what describe with his stirrups on and or whatever you call those fucking numb and the chaps he has on.
Speaker 2: The commission reminds me of the Central Park Rangers. Okay, you know there are antics at the side of the garment a Garfunckle Ah. Same thing with the fucking commission here in bob Orton tremendous. So it's Bob bob Orton tries to pearl Harbor job Hulk Hogan. Hulk cuts him off and dodges off and has a throat throat thrust and a big right hand, and bob Orton starts retreating and then Hulk goes right out after him back in the ring and bob Orton comes off the ropes over the top and Hulk Hogan with a back body drop, and you better believe Vince calls it like that. Oh he does back body drop.
Speaker 1: And then he catches Bob Orton with a couple of body slams and Jesse just goes into panic mode gets get out of that ring.
Speaker 2: Bob just great. Now did anyone did anybody think that Bob Orton had a chance in hell it winning the title? I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I mean, they didn't, as we talked about, they didn't spend any time even trying to get you consider the possibility. You barely even knew the match was going to happen, let alone. You know, you know how they can do little things to make you think that they're actually setting him up to win in the TV ahead of the show. They didn't do anything like that. You didn't hear from him nothing. So no, I really don't think so. Well, there probably was one Bob Arton fans like, oh my.
Speaker 2: God, please, probably little little Randy, Yeah right, yeah, Little Randy wanted it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then a third body slam by Hulk and they're on fire. Orton bails, Piper consoles him, Jesse praises Orton for bailings as excellent move regrouping with Roddy start over.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's what you gotta do sometimes. Sometimes you got to work that brain. Let the gears start going, and then you go outside, take a breather, take a breather, take some time to regroup, and then you come back in and you lay him out.
Speaker 1: Jesse's however, you have to do right. Jesse's the youth basketball coach who screams reset every fourteen seconds. He does loves to see a reset, and Bob Orton gives it to him here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And just like Vince McMahon in two thousand and two on Raw, always resetting. That's good. We're gonna give you more of what you want, less of what you know. We're gonna give you less of what you want, more of what you think you want, and a lot more of what I need, what I need. Give you a lot less of what you want and a lot more porn. We're gonna give you less of what you want and a lot more live sex on television.
Speaker 1: Everybody's all talking about you know if Vince, because word is out that Vince wants to more than anything clear up this legal issue he has so that he can you know, start a new company in the entertainment space. It's gotten out that him and Kevin Dunn are still in regular communication about standing up a business, not necessarily in pro wrestling, but something entertainment related. Have we not spent an time considering the possibility that, after this pattern of allegations, that Vince McMahon might start a porn company?
Speaker 2: I mean that or listen, I'm I'm I'm not convinced that that Trump will make a fucking executive order demanding that Vince McMahon be in charge of t KO. President's going to decide who runs this company? Thank you, I have not, I have not put it past you know that that to me, that is a very likely thing.
Speaker 1: Or maybe to Trump the whole thing upon the pun brother. Trump is issues at declaration that there will now be a federal government run and created wrestling company, the official pro wrestling Organization of the United States Government, Wrestling, USA Wrestling or something.
Speaker 2: The American Wrestling Association.
Speaker 1: Hey do than awf right? And then just like he turns it over to Vince and it's just back to nineteen eighty five. It's like these, yeah, all American baby faces beaten up on foreign menaces, you know, slightly updated the foreign menaces are, uh you know, it would.
Speaker 2: Well, it would be what Mexicans and Canadians.
Speaker 1: Venezuelans and Ranny and still the stuffing for them. Yeah, we're not gonna do the Russian heel thing anymore for some reason.
Speaker 2: No, actually Russian baby face. Honestly, that's what would have to be. Cranian heel. Yeah, oh absolutely, saying absolutely Cuba heel. Oh my god. And it's just like, oh, well, actually, you know what it would be. It would actually be. It'd be it'd be actually, forget international, it would be domestic enemies liberal conservative like liberals would be the heels. Yeah, it would be total heels, all right, and a stable of woke like yeah exactly, you know, exactly trying to legislate. Oh my god. Anyway, so hey, I think I think that would be I think I think in Trump's mind that would be like the greatest accomplishment he ever made.
Speaker 1: I'm seeing a ring calcorated like Great American Bash eighty nine with like the bunting, you know what I mean. But it's on the White House lawn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly exactly where they do the Easter egg roll or or or like right in front of the Capitol, and it becomes like a where they have inauguration, like where they have that, that's where they have these matches.
Speaker 1: It becomes like a maga thing to go to these matches and then cheer like it's nineteen eighty five again, just make me They can see it working.
Speaker 2: Working is the wrong work. Yeah, I can see it being like a thing like you know, and what they what they would do is they'd have, you know, to make it seem like a bigger crowd. They would have everyone on one side and they just never shoot behind them. Sure, you know, you know, the whole.
Speaker 1: Point is not even a draw crowd. It's too no recollect what what America was like?
Speaker 2: What it was great? You know, right exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: So then Barry Orton slithers back into the ring. He's now pantless, Bob, Bob, Bob said, Barry, Oh, Barry Orton, that's definitely, that's definitely because I mentioned no Phillips before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: I can think about it as you know, guys getting jerked off against their will on the highway, you know, on the way to the next town. So Barry, if you didn't if you didn't want it, then why did you come all over the back seat? I got evidence to the contrary, mister.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, mister, I really I really don't think that this is appropriate for the workplace. Oh my god, taking into the business.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna put you in pat batters in his capable hands barely and we'll see what happens. Now, that's so is so unfair to him, right, of course, that's just there's no there's no fire to that smoke. So yes, Bob Orton, thank you. Slither's back in nursing his lower back, and Vince says he hurt us back, did he?
Speaker 2: Yes? So, Jesse says, Bob Doctor's been to fucking check this guy out, honestly, because he's like broken all over.
Speaker 1: Falling apart, he said, hooked on painkillers, as we found out, and now he's started mixing with alcohol because they're not working anymore. Jesse says that Bob Orton is a wily veteran, and he also has the super plex.
Speaker 2: Super because he's lists fucking Orton's tools. This match is fire from over.
Speaker 12: Hokan may have gotten the start, but Bob Orton is a wily veteran and he also has the super plaques.
Speaker 1: Thanks Vince, so ortons the gut and whips him in the corner. Hogan side steps and bob Orton eats the ring post paper. Piper is face palming at ringsided Orton coming up short at every uh, at every juncture. And then hul Cogan twists the bad arm of bob Orton and starts elbowing the cast. The cast at arm, mister t urging on hul coganin's he goes to work. Vince screams, the cast being tested, say that again, always always, That's right, We're always passing. Is't that interesting?
Speaker 5: M m?
Speaker 2: Hogan?
Speaker 1: Now biting and that is all Jesse needs. So I kind of I was a little wrong in saying Jesse had yet to find the blame the babyface for untoward conduct side of his personality. He definitely brings it here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he gets it and goes off. He goes right there. Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine the champions biting Vince McMahon and Vince goes, I'm not too sure about that. He goes, what because Vince has nothing to say?
Speaker 2: Oh, and I know nothing. There is nothing better. There is nothing better than when Vince McMahon gets caught and does not know what to say or how to respond, and you know, and so he just kind of has to just say something and it drives people crazy.
Speaker 1: It's amazing and increasingly as the year's turn, you can tell Jesse just absolutely delights in putting Vince in that position for sure, in particular absolutely and how great was it when they did Saturday Night's Made event in December and he left Michael Cole and Pat McAfee speechless when he saw Rhodes was the one who used the chair. Let me tell you, I mean, Jesse's saying that didn't make it to any of the highlight clip packages they put together after the fact, we're capp what happened they left that out.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm kind of disappointed in them for not taking advantage of everything that he was saying. Absolutely like they they like, I mean, I'm sure that they were horrified as to the fact that he's not following the script, if you will, But like his was the best stuff on there. It's the only thing I enjoyed. It was amazing.
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, that was A commentary can add so much, and it's supposed to add to the companies just insist on making it as anadyne as possible, you know, they insist on making it just like the directors of marketing are sitting in those chairs instead of you know, former pros who have seen it all and know the bullshit when they see it, and we'll call it out, you know what I'm saying, or just guys who can just like Jesse just he created this whole, these these character arcs. He created these character sketches for these heels that really gave you something to latch onto if you wanted to believe that these guys became heels for a reason, that they assessed the landscape and said, you know what, it doesn't pay to be a good guy. And here's the I'm better off breaking the rules exactly exactly. So, yes, we have we have the champion biting for a moment. Hogan goes out to the apron and wrenches the arm down across the top rope of Orton.
Speaker 2: And then are they bringing Jesse back for the next one? That's the word.
Speaker 1: Yes, Wow, he expects to be on all the Saturday nights made events. Maybe they'll use it differently, but yeah, that's the plan. Indeed, over to the post.
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, God, good for him for fucking still having it, you know, like you know, you get that you still got it chant. He deserved that more than anybody else that I've seen, except for Ricky Steamboat maybe in two thousand and whatever. Nine. Yes, honest to God, the fact that he went in out there and just was didn't even skip a beat. It's like he'd always been there.
Speaker 1: Remarkable. Yeah, remarkable too that his stick still works today. You know, it still like insists upon itself because it just makes and that's why it used to be better too. It just makes the viewing experience so much engaging. And I'm not saying he always had it. I'm not saying when he went to WCW that it wasn't a poor facsimile of it. The thing Jesse was good at, too, is he was good at not trying, but being able to mask the fact that he wasn't trying as like ignorants, you know, like oh I don't know these guys, or I don't know what was happening, or you know, he knew, he knew how to make a wrestling broadcast much more interesting if he wanted to. He just didn't always want to because he was always throwing these hissy fits about his contract and Barry Bloom and all this shit. So especially in WCW where he wrote his own check until Hogan showed up and he knew that was coming and he better believe he's fucking gone when the Holkster came from WSW. So it's all fascinating to see that play out.
Speaker 2: But man, is this great?
Speaker 1: So Hogan, after the apron again wrenches Bob Orton's arm down on the rope and then over to the ring post. No blue ring steps yet, Boss, just a wooden step ladder.
Speaker 2: That's so weird. I don't like it. Well, of course not. I mean the the the blue ring steps are.
Speaker 1: Iconic, hugely important to steal ones. But we do have red white blue ropes of course in navy turnbuckle pads. Jesse says this is the most vicious he's ever seen. Hulk in the ring as they go back in and Orton whips and hits basically a Besichu knee to the face of Holggan where he got that from, But he takes Hogan off his feet with it. Orton of stomping away in the Hulkster a headlocks small shots being tucked in by the cowboy. Hogan falls on the middle strand of ropes. Jesse says, on the middle strand of rope. Hey, I'm calling him strands.
Speaker 2: I think, yes, Orton with hey, I like the strands, big fan of strands. Not a detriment, not at all.
Speaker 1: Orton with the big atomic drop that gets to and then Hogan with a big kickout that brings Orton to his feet. But it's not hul Cup time quite yet, as the Holster is still dazed. Short elbow drop in a fist drop by bob Orton gets too and then Jesse says, punish him for three to four minutes then and go for the cover.
Speaker 2: That's what he needs to do. I like that, Vince. Vince says that bob Orton shows no mercy, and I thought to myself, I'm it's really impressive that bob Orton is proud of his video game for and that he's had ahead of his time. Yes, exactly, I got his hands on it.
Speaker 1: So then bob Orton lifts the leg for a knee drop, but he comes up short a bit in terms of loading, so then he just drops his foot again and goes for it one more time and lands it. Only fucking Bob Orton Junior in nineteen eighty five could set up a knee drop on a downed opponent and then have to take take it again because he's gonna come up short. So yeah, when I see this, I see Randy Orton's knee drop coming from Bob you know, oh, totally doing it here, totally in this generation. So then Bob Orton drives Hogan's face into the canvas. The crowd's starting to stomp and get full to bring Hogan back from the brink as they were wont to do. Uh, mister t is scrambling around ringside trying to get an eye level with the Hulk. Hogan is Ortan is dropping blows on the champion. Hogan Chance starts as he's on his knees, hoofing. Say he's dropping blow on the champions, well bows, but probably some blow too. Yeah, And then Hulk starts to seize and there it is. He comes up and he's hoofing and he starts throwing, and Jesse Ventur is so wonderful he goes bail out cowboy because he knows when Hulks starts rileying like this, he can't front like even he knows, the biggest Hulk coagain hater in the universe knows that you stand no chance when Hulk starts getting into this position.
Speaker 2: So there's an.
Speaker 1: Irish whip and a running I don't know, boss, would you call it an axie boomba?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it says it kind of is. Yeah, that is a.
Speaker 1: Huge elbow drop out of the corner by the hulkster Ouch. Jesse says, as it lands, he he deployed that one pretty well on this broadcast.
Speaker 2: The ouch Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll give him that.
Speaker 1: He would say that judiciously. But at key moments, a cover gets to as Vince mcmand declares Bob Orton a tremendous challenger. So that's about the most praise he probably ever got from Vin Man. Hul Covin with the headbutt corner to corner, whip goes to the corner, Mountain begins running down punches, but Bob Orton counters with the Manhattan drop. Jesse says, here we go, I got that for you.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 16: Hi's maneuver A legal maneuver on the part of cowboy Bob Barton legal and beautiful maneuver, my cowboy, Bob Barton.
Speaker 12: Bob Orton's a technician. Bob Orton can wrestle. He is rough, but he can wrestle, and he's sold the champion that right there.
Speaker 2: Jesus, just an atomic drop, jess Fuck Jesus Christ and Bob Orton can wrestle. He's a technician. He knows how to get in there. He knows how to use the tools of the trade.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, I sure hope he can wrestle. He's going for the world title on fucking that network TV.
Speaker 2: But whatever, He's also got a career as a wrestler. Would hope he can wrestle.
Speaker 1: Right his dad was a wrestler, Like, what are we doing here? So Bob Orton hooks the sup Plex, but instead of dropping hold through the canvas, he deposits him on the top buckling.
Speaker 2: You know what that means?
Speaker 1: It's super plex and Vince says, if he got some no doubt, we'll have a new champion. Jessus, this could be it. The crowd rises, but it's not because of the super Plex.
Speaker 2: What if? What if? What if? What if Bob Orton hit the Superplex and pin Hogan clean and won the change.
Speaker 1: No, it'd be like it would be like a I having Cole Off beating Bruno. Just be like you could hear a pin drop people like fucking really just took the belt. It's gonna be like when John Cena beats Cody for the belt at WrestleMania. Oh you picture like Cody like lining up the crossroads and he goes for it and seeing it like pops out into the fu and like scrambles for a quick quick one, two three. Everyone's supposed to rejoice that he did it seventeen times, and then Cody never gets that momentum back.
Speaker 2: Listen, it's about time. Is it time?
Speaker 1: What's it time for? Lets people know? What are you sensing?
Speaker 2: No, listen, I'm I'm surprised they let Cody have the belt as long as they have. I hope that he doesn't. I hope they I hope they give seen of the world title instead, you know, like I just I don't know. There are some things in this in the wrestling world that I feel just need to be cherished and not broken for the sake of breaking, and the streak was one of those things. Honestly, the WrestleMania three attendance was one of those things and flares even though it's fictional, sixteen sixteen world titles like there's no need to have it beaten, there's no need to do that all. There is no need to beat the Undertaker at Wrestlemannie. There was no need fur there to be more fans at fucking Texas than in Detroit.
Speaker 1: App No need, absolutely, and we're headed to needlessness again.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: While the crowd rises at this moment is not because the superplex is coming. If you watch carefully, something's happening in the Nassau Coliseum at this moment. There's a fight in the front row. There's some huge distraction because all of a sudden, everyone is looking away from the ring, and you see security even start to rush over at ringside. You can't see what it is because it's kind of happening beneath the hard camera, but there's something happening and everyone's distracted at this critical moment. Hogan fights off Bob Orton's superplex, incidentally, and Orton goes flying backwards off the ropes to the canvas. No one looking at the ring. There's no pop really to speak of for Hogan avoiding the big finisher of the Cowboy. But then Hogan comes off the middle rope with a nailbow to the top of the head, hits the rope and drops the leg and before he can get the three count rowdy Roddy Piper hits the ring, slugs the Hulkster from behind. He actually doesn't hit the ring, he hits him from the floor between the ropes, and in six minutes and fifty four seconds, hul Cogan declared the winner over Bob Orton via his qualification here and the very first world title match for a first hul Cogan match on Saturday Night's main event.
Speaker 2: The ref sees it, I mean the very first Hull Cogan match on network television asolutely. Yeah, there's a lot of fursts going on here, ref declares the DQ. Piper stomping away, mister T comes and tackling him, going off on the gut with right hands and lefts Orton comes from behind and sledges mister T. Hogan comes up waving them all on and Piper rips off his shirt. They're about to double team Hogan in the corner as mister T just fucking kind of stands there and then who makes the save none another Then are newly minted number two baby face, mister wonderful Paul Orndorf slips in and the people explode. The people want Paul Orndorf here. Let's be clear about that, boss. I mean that that is a huge thing. The people want Paul Orndorf like they want they want him to be alongside Hulkogan two they do. He's got he's got a stone cold thing going here in that. Yeah, you know, he's just a hard nosed, bad ass, ass kicking heel who we hated when he had Hulk and others in the crosshairs and when he was doing it on behalf of the Heenan family and acting arrogantly. But the second somebody who is a heel not because they beg off and sneak around and act like chicken shits, but as a heel because they're so bad ass that they can just flaunt every rule and every convention and just smash baby faces into mush. Suddenly, if he's going to do this on the side of good for Hulk Hogan, it's it's glorious, that's what you mean.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's glorious. It's the exact mold that pretty much every babyface with tenure and wrestling history has has fit into. And here we see kind of a tantalizingly short glimpse of what that could have been, because, as we outlined in Part one, very quickly they pivot back to Orndorf as a heel, turning on Hogan and going after him for the championship, leading to that cage match on a future Saturday it's made event against the Hulkster, but for now, Worndorf slips in, they explode, Orndorff gives a look to Hogan, Jesse goes off about it being three against two, and they hold back. Orndorff is the heels, scram out of the ring and they they have a moment where you know, they're dapping each other up, mister T Hulk Cogan, mister Wonderful, to leave no question that there is a new alliance formed here among these three. And they cut this out of the peacock version. But when they go to a break and come back, there's kind of an extended in ring celebration with mister T no kidding, and they do the whole posing routine. You know, that's why they cut it off, I have no idea. I mean, I don't know why they cut this off. The whole segment kind of gets cut, and it includes a playing of the Cyndi Lauperguni's music video, which of course they do not have rights to. And I think probably, if I'm thinking it through, a big part of the reason they probably cut it is while Orndorf, mister t and Hogan are in the ring doing the posing routine I have the tiger is playing the whole time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but why couldn't I mean, only I didn't have a problem putting real American and using the commentary during that when he's coming in the ring. Read what difference does it make?
Speaker 1: It is a curious deletion. It's almost kind of lazy, you know. But there is also a Lapera and Lou Albano interview in here as well that didn't make the Peacock version, But we've got it for you. Don't worry, don't fret. Yes, that's just what the folks sitting down to Saturday Nights made event in eighty five would have seen when all was right with the world.
Speaker 16: Wonderful Hogan, mister d plus the Women's World Championship PY drink.
Speaker 1: So this is on Peacock going into the break coarse about this music.
Speaker 2: So here it is.
Speaker 11: A show tony audience.
Speaker 22: Oh my goodness, look that you talking about beefcake.
Speaker 2: Baby beefcack wasn't there? Oh my god, that's why they cut it, Fince says, talk about beefcake. Oh no, this is classic Finns like Loyals. Yeah, we're threesome. That's why they right.
Speaker 4: Them all time.
Speaker 2: That's why they cut it to And you got three eagle Madiacs out there.
Speaker 14: Oh look at that.
Speaker 16: Right now, let's come back to me and Jeane in the dressing room with Sydney Lapper and Lewis Alpao.
Speaker 14: All right, thank you very much, Vince. Ladies title coming up. One championship down, another to go that, ladies said, gentlemen, the first network telecast in nearly three decades a professional wrestling right here, Cindy Lapper, you're a champion, of course, to defend here momentarily against the fabulous Mulla.
Speaker 10: We're gonna be talking that she's not gonna win, mean Jean, she's gonna wine, got no chance, Mulla.
Speaker 6: Woa is that?
Speaker 15: This is it?
Speaker 2: This is the last one.
Speaker 10: I'm very pleased to say that under my guidance, Wendy, we once again have and keep the title.
Speaker 14: All right, Captain Lewis al Battle, You've got to be very proud. Cindy Lapper, a friend, then a nemesis, and now friends again.
Speaker 15: The termination of this little one hundred and two pounds eighty minutes unreal?
Speaker 2: What determination? What will to win? Whoo?
Speaker 11: So fine oohoo.
Speaker 7: Don't get too excited, remember.
Speaker 14: It makes you a duel a swell hey, hold on just a second yet, No, Thanks to you Cindy Lapper and MTV, you have got a brand new video from the Goodies called good Enough.
Speaker 2: We're excited about that. Yes, I am too.
Speaker 11: I'm very excited.
Speaker 6: It's the first rock in wrestling CONNECTIONUS.
Speaker 11: I heard video video.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well matter first, But everyone right, lou lout.
Speaker 21: A all got all the US's got, Nikolai Bone Coffee, got the Iron Cheek, you got that, Freddy Blast him and Freddy Blade, You've got cut it all together.
Speaker 11: You got it and Katrine, Katrine.
Speaker 14: And Roddy Piper is nderstand sending your brand new fidel called the Goodies.
Speaker 22: Good night, Pyper dehydrated baby.
Speaker 23: One last I saw Cindy, things were going from bad to worse. Why her mom and pop gash shop was being forced to close. No more veggie burgers, no more free cookies with casts, no more nothing. Them cheating brothers were about to force them out with the fiction papers.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna smell.
Speaker 2: There's your mom.
Speaker 23: But before Cindy, Now, don't miss part two, coming soon to a.
Speaker 2: KIV near you. The greatest video of the all time.
Speaker 14: I've never seen nothing like a jamantastic Cindy laper. I've got a thank you kinna mite.
Speaker 10: I know there nothing Ronnie.
Speaker 2: One second.
Speaker 21: I would like to say, yes, that was the greatest video I ever seen till you started the thing, the.
Speaker 14: Whole damn thing in it.
Speaker 8: That's why I oh, yeah, Spielberg, as it sounds like it you're making me, Askedberg.
Speaker 2: I wasn't were you need we not the way the way we.
Speaker 11: Right out of the previous fool.
Speaker 2: Less welcome back.
Speaker 1: That's what you're missing right there. I cut the Nadia out, obviously, but they pulled the whole thing. So on, Peacock, you come back with the graphic of for Richter and Mullah and it's a controversy is brewing on this one. As we cut to Gene Oklahom with the fabulous Muller backstage or ordinary the entrance way here, I got that interview for you right here.
Speaker 14: I'll tell you what, Facebook, Matt, I am going to try as much as I possibly can. I have with me, challenger and long time chap you longer than any other in history, the fabulous bull of moments away when the erector in the possibility of your regaining that title belt.
Speaker 22: That's right.
Speaker 5: I'm going in there with the intentions of regaining it again, and I'm going to keep it forever this time.
Speaker 2: But now I want to tell you something.
Speaker 5: I'm sick and tired of all the interference with Cindy Lauper and that bunch of g geeks that's standing outside the ring and up and down the hall and holland do this and do that, and putting bags over my head and hitting me in the headway, purses and everything. You let me finish, Gene.
Speaker 11: Okay.
Speaker 5: So I went to the higher ups at WWF and I convinced them that I was right to have Cindy Loper bard from the ring. When I am in the ring participating in my match. She is not allowed in the ring, and if she comes out there tonight, I will give this paper to the referee and have her sent back ejected from the ring.
Speaker 14: If you know what I mean, Well, I get the jungle idea of that lily. In all due respect, I'm going to have to see to believe twenty eight years is chat good chance of your ray gaty that coveted title belt when you meet Wendy Richter.
Speaker 2: It's but it's from no, yeah, indeed, there it is.
Speaker 1: So we turn quickly here as we hear from Lillian Ellison there with her dollar signed glasses and earrings, she's a sight to behold.
Speaker 2: In nineteen eighty five, Oh, I'll say.
Speaker 1: Kind of what was happening around the rock and wrestling connection and the role she played kind of reluctantly as we learn, I was heartbroken for a while losing my championship, she writes. Of course, I knew everybody was right when they said I had an amazing run that twenty eight years of being a champion is unheard of, but it's still hurt. I guess that's because, unlike a lot of the girls who were coming into wrestling, I never looked at wrestling as a stepping stone anything else. A lot of them, especially since the rock and Wrestling connection looked at getting in the ring like it was a way to become a star.
Speaker 17: Me.
Speaker 1: I never thought about it like that. I always was a competitor, and I always wanted just a kick button squared circle. By the way, that's what did Wendy and I think she got all caught up in being a celebrity and forgot that being a wrestler is.
Speaker 2: What she was us. Yes, that's cool, that's fucking good. I mean, that's the thing about it. Let's not forget you know, like, you know, I can see that Wendy Richard looks like somebody who who I imagine that she she started out like Mullah, like, wanting to be a wrestler. Under Lama brought her in right there you go. And but then you know, she gets this little taste of the limelight with Cindy Lauper, and you know, she thinks she and Sidey Lapper are real friends. Yeah, and she wants she wants us to keep going because it's a shoot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh huh, oh, Nope, you're just a wrestler. For example, Cindy had a bunch of us wrestlers appear in her videos and Wendy just loved it. Me, I hated it because it wasn't what I do. They flew me out of California to shoot Cindy's goonies are good enough.
Speaker 2: Idiot, I like I like that. I like that. She hated it, hated like it's not like she said, you know, it was a neat experience, but it just wasn't for me. No, she hated it because it wasn't wrestling, right. Oh my god, she's such a fucking she's something else whatever.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Of course, she loves wrestling more than anything else because she's making money on every girl she trains. So she's making like so much more per sort of hour in than everybody else. I don't know how much more, but you know, it's not hard to find many stories of Mulla playing fast and loose with her percentage, okay, of these women.
Speaker 2: So she does she learn her craft under rngag kind of it.
Speaker 1: Kind of seems like she learned her craft more and her fucking John DuPont in some ways. But right, And she also appeared in her time after time and she bop videos.
Speaker 2: She bop is Oh I didn't know that, I know she did more. Yeah.
Speaker 1: She Bop is the song, by the way, that Wendy Richter comes out to on this Saturday Night's main event, but it's dubbed over with that kind of generic girls just want to have fun song that they created for Sydney Lapper moments. Wendy was the waitress blowing a bubble and singing the first verse in the Shebop video. Mulla writes, I joined a bunch of other wrestlers for the Goonies video. This is the one that played here during snm E. Roddy Piper there and she and I played the band of pirates who chased Cindy underground. Playing The Gooney Kids were a group of Hollywood child actors who would later go on to become stars themselves. There were sewn Aston, Corey Feldman, Josh Brolin, and Martha Plimpton.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that. Oh yeah, oh, it's got a great cast of like of child actors who would become, you know, big stars. The wrestlers were painting the ass Cindy lappertole the press and and uh Greg Valentine is mama for Telly.
Speaker 1: Yes right, yeah, one of his biggest opportunities. It was just so aggravating. She writes, You've got to get up at four in the morning because they had to send a limousine for you to five take to the studio at five. There they have what they call breakfast. Yeah, write stale coffee and a Danish if you're lucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Mulla likes her her chicken fried steak and her biscuits and all that bullshit.
Speaker 2: You know her. I mean, listen, you know, if she was smart, she would have said. You know, I'm sure that there were people who would have been, yeah, anything you need, anything you need miss Muli, as you know, say I want to fucking chicken fried steak, go have him get it. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Then they retouch your makeup because you've been sweating. And then you wait some more. After dinner, the quote unquote they tell you we've got to wait till later on tonight. By eleven, it's gotten too late, and they tell you the shoot the first thing they do in the next morning. Yeah, wrestlers aren't built for this man. They want to show up, put their work in, get their white envelope and fucking bounce exactly.
Speaker 2: They don't, they don't. They Honestly, they don't know how to do a full day's work.
Speaker 1: After losing my championship, she writes, I started concentrating really hard on making history, about winning it back. This is in eighty five, and I was very mindful of the example set by Muhammad Ali back in the seventies when he came back to when the boxing title for a record third time. If he could make history, why I couldn't I but I knew it wouldn't be easy because yours is different. There's a difference between you and Ahamad Ali. Maybe that's right, Well, there's that.
Speaker 2: And then also because pretend you know you can't actually just fucking win it, someone has to tell you're gonna win. That was never Uh, someone has to make the decision. Didn't stop her in the past, that's for sure. Yeah, thanks to her relationship with Cindy, Wendy was a crowd favorite. I was used to having the fans go against me, but Wendy was so popular now I couldn't count on the rest to do their jobs. I realized that the first step in my comeback trail and fall flat out stopping Wendy. She was running around the country, ducking, giving me a rematch, so I started focusing on the next big thing, managing a challenger. Wait is this I don't understand what this is? Yeah, not got off.
Speaker 1: Both and then she's going into WrestleMania and talking about all that. And then there's a chapter so long champ. I think she touches on. I think she touches on. Uh, Saturday Night's main event. Here Wendy was the champ again. Okay, we got it. In the beginning, she writes, Wendy had seemed to want to be a wrestler, just not just not being the limelight. Once she got that championship, that's when her behavior started to change. Oh, Wendy's in the back seat. Okay, pretty soon I smelled smoke. I started watering Wendy there and she started giggling the back seat. They lit up cigarettes when Amula and Nikola I didn't.
Speaker 2: Why are fucking why is? Why is? When you're riding with she can cough.
Speaker 1: That's a sight to see, and that is a sight to see. One day, iron Cheek said to Wendy, and they worked each other up to one day. Iron Cheek said to Wendy, you were supposed to get fifty thousand dollars for WrestleMania. That's what I got. So Wendy came complaining to me, we got cheated out of our money. And that's when she starts acting like a premium dome. She definitely thought she was definitely thought she was underpaid for for WrestleMania. She probably was, but whatever. Then they do the Spider thing with the the double heel turned the Spider Lady double heels her oh, the double cross. So I guess she doesn't talk about this match, she doesn't talk about Saturday's main event. But that just gives you an idea of the the thick tensions. There's no way someone who had a little fiefdom for as many fucking decades as Mula did was gonna let Wendy Richter stay around very long. She's gonna just she's not going to rest until everyone of the business thinks she's a you know what I mean, a head case, right, I mean, I think that the funny thing is that, you know, she's saying she's she's making it about Wendy Richter, but it really could have been anybody. It could have been anybody who was in her shoes.
Speaker 2: Bingo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they're not going to pick something veteran that earned her, you know, that paid her dues to play this young pop star champion, you know, give me a.
Speaker 2: Break, right, so they could do. But it's just so funny, like because because you know, it could have been her fucking protege Lalani Kai for all you know, Like it just happened to be Wendy Richter, right, anybody.
Speaker 1: I saw passing reference. I could be wrong about this that they were supposed to be. I don't remember where I saw this now that at one point the Saturday Night's Made event matter was supposed to be Wendy Richter versus mad Maxine, who was another woman they brought it around this time. It was kind of like being groomed as a challenger, but that for some reason that fell through and so Mula had to wrestle again. Like that wasn't really the plan.
Speaker 2: I wonder if has something to do with that.
Speaker 1: Probably probably, So Mulla suddenly on the walk down to the ring, there's a very abrupt jump from her doing the promo to being in the ring. But oh well, yeah, there she is, and Vince says, she walks as confidently as she did a quarter of a century ago to the Ring here tonight. And the old story, of course, is that Vince Senior told Vince Junior expressly to always take care of fabulous Mulla, and he did do that. I don't know sure what kind of I don't know what kind of bodies Mulla buried or knew where they were married.
Speaker 2: But well, what kind of body is you're gonna give me? What ladies are you gonna find for me?
Speaker 1: I mean, is by all accounts, Vince McMahon was a paragon of virtue et cetera, et cetera. But it wouldn't take a lot of convincing to get me to believe that. You know, he had full access to the Mulla compound.
Speaker 2: Put it that way.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, full access, and so did his lieutenants. Okay, apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Speaker 2: Listen. You know, like you think you look about when he grew up, and you watch shows like mad Men, yes and stuff like that, and you see, you know, like it was just like it's it's awful, but it was like a rite of passage.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: Any woman who had whoever's that kind of power that she had, it was, you know, allowed to be the kind of whip cracker that she was. There was an element of that, there was an element of essentially she's facilitating, you know, guys in expensive suits just absolutely having like trembling orgasms, you know, in some way or another. So we cut to Cindy with Jeane.
Speaker 2: Here we go, it's here from the chair. There's no way, Gene that she's gonna ban me.
Speaker 6: You know why, because I am Wendy Rich's manager and a manager just lying girl.
Speaker 10: My girl is gonna win, and I'm gonna make sure.
Speaker 2: And see then seeing that that that I played.
Speaker 6: Jordi, you just tell me what happened at wrestling. May left, What happened wrestling, May left, wrestling, May left wrestling, May left Wrestling.
Speaker 11: May left.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's not like she was the biggest part of the show or anything. It's not like she was Wrestling Mania at every press conference. Asked about it a million times, Jesus Christ, wrestling, May.
Speaker 10: Left, and she was choking me and then the two of them her milani Ki team jobs on Wendy. You tell me we are the double team tried to get the nail.
Speaker 2: Okay, now we do.
Speaker 14: You let me just very quickly point out Mulla made no bones about the fact that she contends you have interfered in previous title defenses for this lady.
Speaker 11: Listen, Mula always interferes.
Speaker 6: Mulla interfered when she choked me and then she double teams Wendy with.
Speaker 10: Lani Kai and that's how they got the built because that's.
Speaker 11: The only got proof to the Mulla interfered. We got proof.
Speaker 14: I thank you fans, it's upcoming. Let's go back to the ringside riffling raffling.
Speaker 2: Man, they really let What did Richter say A lot? Don't they?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man, she sucks. We got proof too. We got proof too. Would you like I got a monkey in my pocke? Would you like fries with the water burger? No, I said that. I'm perfose. You imagine if you had access right now? Oh, what do you get?
Speaker 3: It's a la fan wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and and JP Soro.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 2: I just get you know, because it's because I don't get it that often. I just get their main whatever, the main one is, honestly, because because I don't I'm not. You know, it's not something that's up here. I I'm nervous. I don't want to. I don't want my what Burger experience to be ruined. So if I if that's the only time I'm going to have it in a trip down to wherever it's available, I can only get the regular one, because that's what I need to feel, that layers that you're biting through, you know. Yeah, absolutely, yes, Oh it's glorious. So, uh what a burger?
Speaker 1: Dave Wolf is standing there too, God help us. Oh yeah, definitely the guy I think you would be a fan of.
Speaker 2: Oh, just like you know a guy. You know, he's a guy who grew his hair out because he thinks it looks cool, not because it's like something that he actually was like you know what, I I'm kind of feeling this. It's like, wait a minute, this is what's cool, this is what rock stars. This is what I'm going to do so I look cool, right, you know, it's not it was not an organic choice. It was it was a strategized choice for him to do that.
Speaker 1: And I'm not suggesting I'm not suggesting he did anything on tooward, but for some reason, whenever I see him in frame with Cindy Lauper, and I think they were boyfriend and girlfriend.
Speaker 2: I think they were. Yeah, they were dating, Yeah, did they did.
Speaker 1: He was also a manager essentially, and a big wrestling fan and a big He was really the catalyst for this. He was the one who like understood wrestling well enough to figure how Cindy Lapper could fit in. Cindey Lapper while she was friendly with Loue Albano, having had that chance encounter with him on the plane to Puerto Rico. As we've talked about before, it's like she was a huge wrestling fan, but it's Dave Wolf who could see how she could fit in as a manager and and what wrestling was to forward, you know, certain feuds and things as a corner woman. Anyway, when I see Dave Wolf with Cindey Lauper, I always see the guy that slaps jen A across the face and Forrest Gump, you know what I mean, that kind of guy, like for some reason, like why is this guy.
Speaker 2: In control of all these people? You know, why is this the guy? Somehow? Somehow this is the guy. This is this is the this is the boss, right for some reason, like some someone. This guy looketed himself to be bossed, and everyone else said, oh, okay, this makes sense.
Speaker 1: Because nobody else has any ability to be the boss themselves, so they just let him be it. I should have known it was gonna be nothing but a bullshit hassle. Yes, tremendous, so uh Laper says, yeah, Mulla always into fias.
Speaker 2: We heard all that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Fink announces this one is for the World Rusting Federation Ladies Championship.
Speaker 2: That's right, not the women's yet they're not women's there they have to be ladies. Women had you to evolve and ww that's true exactly. With her hand behind her hair, you know she used to do that. She picture it right now, I know, I know, because she's like trying to be like a pin up model and it's just like so annoying. She's so grotesque she is, you know, I don't know, she's just vile.
Speaker 20: You know.
Speaker 2: The funny thing about Mula. The funny thing about Mula is that she looked the same until the day she died. Like she looked the same from eighty five until like even a WrestleMania twenty She looked the fucking thing a generation.
Speaker 1: Where man, when what her old tough broad turned forty, she looked like, you know, she looked like she was forty when she was twenty eight, you know what I mean? Yeah, exactly like you always her liked unless she was really a young woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know what she looked like when she was young, but like she's just like I I want, I want to stay as far away from her as possible, right exactly, I just I I I don't feel safe watching her on television. Just the smell of what she has to put on her hair, her hair to keep it like that, to keep it that stiff. And then she like walks around with her fucking yeah like she's this fucking, like I said, a pinup model, and she's got her grandma tits all over the place, like just in a bowl of hard candies in her oh oh yeah, oh my god. You know, you know, damn Well, whenever she's like whenever she's like scouting a new a new prospect, she's like just crunching on that hard candy gross, like the strawberry ones that everyone used to have, but no one knew where they came from, I know, and no one like it's like you only ate it because there was nothing else in the fucking bowl. Like you just had these stupid strawberry candies and for some reason, this is what grandparents thought kids wanted to eat.
Speaker 1: She had those lozenges that look like red like robotuscin pills.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep. She's just like crunching on it as she's like looking at this person, this woman, like she's like just eyeing her up and down, figuring out what she can do with her, and just go so good, Oh my god. Oh so.
Speaker 1: The music they picked for her, it wasn't actually the Wind the Cidney Lauper thing. It almost sounds like a mysterious Ways by You tube or something. I don't know what they're going for, but Laper comes storming out.
Speaker 2: And basically they're going for anything that can replace the fucking music on the actual tape.
Speaker 1: And Cydney Lapper is holding onto her hat for dear life as she makes her way down the sileway and people are reaching the grab.
Speaker 2: And then someone does grab it, and like she has to fight for it. Yep, yep.
Speaker 1: She finally takes the hat off because she almost loses the damn thing. But the hat is under siege from the moment she gets in there. Loopper, Yeah, Blopper's in there trying to pretend she's gonna hold the ropes open for City Lapper, but she just doesn't for us, Wendy Richter, but she just doesn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so then we have I mean she could I don't mean she could could do that. No, probably she's gravy how to do it? Right? I know, it's like something you like go to do when you're like, holy shit, Oh no, you know what, I'm not going to do this. Sorry.
Speaker 1: The referee has been handed a proclamation on yellow parchment paper.
Speaker 2: As the think, well it basically think is handed a fucking medieval scroll.
Speaker 18: It looks like, ladies and gentlemen, May I have your attention please, as in my hand, I have a very important announcement.
Speaker 2: Why are you shouting? Right? Stop shouting? We're right. You have a microphone for fuck's sake.
Speaker 18: Hereby acknowledged that the World Wrestling Parish has decreed that, due to flagrant and repeated interference from outside the ring, Miss.
Speaker 2: Has been banned.
Speaker 18: From the floor during the Ring Championship match.
Speaker 2: Miss Lapper will have to.
Speaker 11: Leave the floor area immediately.
Speaker 2: Awesome. Oh fucking finkle.
Speaker 1: They stand by the stipulation and and it works. It makes for a really really dramatic finish in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: So does Yeah, it does get She sits back like she's in the you know, like she's in what they call video village when you're making them, when you when you're on set for something, you know, they have a separate area where they've got all the video monitors up so that people who, you know, producers and whatever can watch what's going on without having to be in on set, you know themselves. Village. Yeah, they call it video village. At least they used to. I don't know if they still do it anymore, but I'm that's why I always heard the term.
Speaker 1: So Cindi Lauper stumps her way up to video village. Miss Lapper will have to leave the floor immediately. They say, Mulla's arms up and fucking victory and the granny tits are there and everything. Opper skulks off, and Vince says, she's a professional, and I'm sure she'll abide by the World Rustling Federation ruling they go to.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, I mean, think about think about all the men that Mulla dominated, all right, Like she just destroyed them. Yeah, really all right, like like like honestly, it's like it's like her pussy was a fucking lion, all right in leopard prints. Start sure, just fucking devouring men with that thing, right, that's fucking mula. I mean, she didn't not know how to make sure she was satisfied. Oh listen, And it didn't matter if the if the guy, if the gentleman was satisfied. Do you right, that's just it, you know, when she's satisfied, she's done. Get the fuck away from me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if he finished, she'd say, you're pathetic, she'd say to.
Speaker 2: Him, exactly, Oh my god, exactly she yeah, if he especially if he finished before she did, she would just kick him out of the fucking apartment, her house. And she just fucking finished herself off. Get the fuck out of it. Why doesn't why don't people talk, bitch, Why don't people talk about this? I know exactly, like a huge part of the story, right, I mean, listen, she was a dominant She was a dominant woman. She was abusive, obviously, but she was a dominant woman and she was not gonna she was not gonna stand by and let some fucking ass clown finish when she doesn't.
Speaker 1: I think you know that has revolutionary and inspirationals. Her story was I think you know what a The bravest thing she ever did was by a sibyon and righties.
Speaker 7: A picture her face, oh no, with with another fucking glass of sweet tea on the bedside table.
Speaker 2: I mean, is that three lillion? This afternoon she's got she's holy on and it's like fucking splattering everywhere. Yeah, she starts her day, her butt ass naked, naked. That's hilarious. And listen, she lets it fucking she puts it all right, she cranks it up to fucking ten, all right, and she's gonna go for a half hour, no question, gonna go for it, all right. I thought he's gonna say she's gonna go for it. He's gonna go for it, and she's gonna hang in there for a half hour. When she's done, that fucking stiff ass dry hair is sopping. Oh god, what she just mat it down? Yeah, funny, It's pretty funny, isn't it. She's on and he's like, so I understand I bought mullah, so do I don't understand something. You body a sibyan. Is that tru right word gets out that she bought it even before she gets the thing to the house. I heard you order on the Amazon. Is that correct? Yes, Vance Dad is correct. I see, I see. This is very exciting. I just want to let you know that it's very, very exciting. I would like to be involved with us, like she started a company. She's taking investors. I would like to put in twenty percent in your sy that's funny, Advance, because I don't want to put into it. Because here's the thing too. I only picture her from the from the back. Baby, it's from the back, and like can you see her face or anything. It's just a fucking like you know, lift ah, this is fucking vibrating, a fucking glass in her hand, sweet tea, going all over the place, almost fucking almost causing like an electrical fire. For Fox's sakes. That so reminds me remember tom and you know, the Mayor Bosch and my Obama.
Speaker 1: I always had this thing like he's gonna get it, He's gonna get into shape, you know, because cardiologist says, Tommy, you know, you really need to stop eating food you enjoy you're a man of a certain age, it's time to no longer eat food you like.
Speaker 2: And so he's and he's trying to take totato like meals of came. That's all.
Speaker 1: It is, like a meat potatoes guy pasta glen gonna go to go into the grave eating, you know, skipping breakfast and having sound coffin with potato in his mouth.
Speaker 2: Well, that has nothing to do with the rest of them.
Speaker 1: So, but I always had this thing of like, oh god, Tommy's got to get in shape, and so like one of his deputies, buy is like a stare like a StairMaster up an elliptical, the running machine.
Speaker 2: What do you call those things?
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, ellipticals when you step up right with the fucking is like the is like the yeah, and the cross country skiing type thing like a peloton one of those, right, but that's an exercise bike. Fucking what are those things?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 16: This is this is it.
Speaker 2: This is this is the end of life right here, all right.
Speaker 1: This is this is me googling exercise running machine, treadmill.
Speaker 2: Fucking hell, I'll tell you man, that's it. You hit forty and that's what happens. Oh my, it just goes, it all goes, it all goes. All right, it's gone, so he has it's never coming back.
Speaker 1: He has the doctor's appointment on the Friday and they show all this Triglisser rides or whatever. So Monday he's got to get a fucking he's got to have a new routine, yeah, that he sticks to for you know, a week and a half.
Speaker 2: He six with for a week and a half and then he picks it up again a week before he has to go to the doctor again. And the doctor is more than happy to be manipulated in that way. Of course.
Speaker 1: That's all the doctor really knows how to do is tell you to diet.
Speaker 2: That's the only fucking thing. Yeah, and you should die.
Speaker 1: I tell you what would help an awful lot is if he lost weight. You know, Doc, it's kind of funny that's the only solution you have because you know it's the only thing that's not going to happen.
Speaker 18: So so.
Speaker 2: I kind of think I could do your job, doc, honestly, Yeah, right, I think I could get paid a lot of money by just doing what you do.
Speaker 1: You send the blood off for the levels and then you just tell me to lose weight and then I go home.
Speaker 2: All right, great.
Speaker 1: So so they get the treadmill, but they put it in his office at City Hall because he's still so busy that he's got there. He's so locked down in his routine of you know, showering at the same time. Yeah, you know, putting this suit on the dry cleaning is you know, onlock as far as like the cycle and everything. And he always has a suit and tis he's the mayor for christ sakes, he's yeah, of course, he's always He's been the mayor for so long. He's he's just he's stuck in his ways, you know how Like Trump still goes everywhere in a suit, Vince still goes everywhere in a full suit. Like anyone needs to see this kind of suit, you know, but it's like anyone's impressed, right exactly like this is it's like nineteen eighty two or something, and the only people he took seriously are men in suits. And so here he comes and the treadmill is now in his office and he's still got to have his morning dunks of course. So my vision is of Tom Andino in shirt sleeves with the tie flipped over his shoulder, running on the treadmill in his office with a medium regular in his hand. And it is and he's sipping it while he runs because he doesn't have time. He always has coffee during these hours, between these.
Speaker 2: Minutes, you know. And it's not even it's like a light jaw exactly, of course it is. And this coffee he's got a box of he's got a box of munchkins. And then fuck, well he didn't telling you whate about that. Yeah, this coffee is going everywhere. This is a discess. You cannot sip hot coffee and jog on a fucking trail. You cannot, And well you can, but you can't expect to come out close. All right, Listen, it's all it's done, like you have to. You better have a fucking he better have like a whole closet, a whole wardrobe of shirts, you know, to be ready to go right after fucking exercises. Just picture of your body is shaking like it does when you're doing the But I'll tell you, you know, you know, you know what's gonna happen. You know what you know what's kind of in right now is too are these these desk treadmills, you know these, Yeah, you can while you're where you work. Yeah, you put up your fucking you have this elevated desk. My wife's one of the one of the people my wife used to work for. She used to do this all the time, all all zoom calls. She would be on the fucking treadmill with her desk up, and she'd be doing this ship. You know, it's gonna be a mask. It just makes me feel there's gonna be a mayor. Yes, okay, that does that. That's how he fucking does business. He's gonna be on the treadmill for fucking eight hours making deals and making policy. Ah okay, I.
Speaker 1: Mean it's wonderful. I mean just picture, you know, your bodygulf on the treadmill like you're jogging, and then picture you're trembling, sixty two year old hand trying to bring a styrofoam coffee cup to your lips. Oh fuck, oh fuck, fuck you hear this little small attempt to sip.
Speaker 2: Yes, why are you doing this at the same time? Because he's good, because you know, when you're trembling like that, you can't fucking aim. You know, you get no aims. It's fine, it's fine. He's getting he's finally taking control of his health exactly. Listen, he's taking the initiative. You know, he's being proactive.
Speaker 1: He's spilling his coffee all over himself for his grandkid's sake.
Speaker 2: And for the betterment of his life. Okay, he's bathing himself in fucking dunks to make because his life needs to be better.
Speaker 1: You really need to reduce the stress on your heart. You know, it's really getting to the point that we're concerned now in the same vein. Can you exercise like an Olympic rower on set heart?
Speaker 2: Please? Wait a minute. He's gonna have like a fucking like some kind of a neck tray, you know, around his neck. He's rowing and so he's got shot because he had jowls for days. A neck tray. How tremendous of a notion as that. Let alone and lift your head up and it just goes into your mouth. I love that. It sounds like something that like people would have started buying during COVID lockdown. Oh yeah, for sure, to avoid to avoid any kind of hand you know tax, you know, could you're please put my coffee on my neck? Try place. God, you're putting my coffee on my neck right, look at the crispy pad tie on that thing. Just don't touch me, all right, just put on my neck tray place, thank you.
Speaker 1: They get door dash instructions. Is that he's dropping at the door. You like, place it on the guy's neck tray. And the neck tray like has like a forty inch arm that goes out and bi pleated the door step and retreats recoil that.
Speaker 2: Put it on my neck tray. Of course, all the people who buy the neck tray are like the most cranky, fucking senior citizens you'll ever meet, you know, Oh my god, they're so cantangerous, they're so distrustful of others that they need this fucking ray. That's good stuff. Anyway, what was talking about? What was the episode of Mulam Sibion fucking bit fucking getting hammering herself, taking it, getting it done just I mean, she gets off the thing and collapses like a bit like a baby dough that has yet to get just think about, like, you know, her her legs are fucking yellow.
Speaker 1: After that, she goes dog just like she's like fucking Daniel Stern. After it gets electrocuted in part two at the end, though, disgusting.
Speaker 2: That I wasn't ready for that at all? How did you have that one ready? Just something to put it in another snop? It's Saturday Nights mad, and of that guy going.
Speaker 5: To be.
Speaker 2: Wrestling fans doing my smooth smooth.
Speaker 7: Such I was after us, I was after rears.
Speaker 16: Down.
Speaker 2: You're getting that ass, Larry? How you doing is that you still? I'm stilling you. I know how you do it? You go, oh, have a symbian noise in there? Do you wish Google good luck? Ever? Looking at her the same again? Look at Lula ever again? So what is Wendy Rick? This guy? Olk said that?
Speaker 1: He said, the same guy that just wrestled Bob Orton and revolutionized Saturday Night Live, Saturday Night's.
Speaker 2: That's him. Same guy, Yeah, same guy web.
Speaker 1: So, when Wendy Rictor was asked by Danny Burke Holder for that aforementioned oral history piece about this night, she goes, I had Mola stabbing me in the back the whole time I was there. They had me wrestle her over and over again for like a year. Everywhere the matches were not good, and I was getting her all the time, so my memories are more like nightmares. When I did leave from there, it was time I had to go, amazing, say as she came out to she bought by Cindy Lauper, though not on the peacock version. And it's Wendy Richter versus the Fabulous Mula for the WWF Ladies Championship here on Saturday Night's main event. Mulla quickly rakes the eyes as Wendy Richer pursues her, and Wendy Richer drops to the canvas. Fabulous Mulla keeps sneaking in rakes from the front headlock position and some hair poles as well. Mulla then adjusts her breasts and Vince says, oh what you doing?
Speaker 2: Oh well, I say, Jesse's a little jaman of the chest area of the of the female anatomy pectoralis majors. Those are major pectoralysis, Jess the pectoralities of the female embodiment.
Speaker 1: Jesse's not quite short what she's doing? So Fabulous Mulla puts Wendy Richtor on the top rope and yanks, are you saying she's touching your titch? McMahon right, come right out and say it. What's your problem. Are you a bitch?
Speaker 2: Right? Are you a chauvinist? Do you not believe in female equality?
Speaker 17: Right?
Speaker 1: You're not showing it right now? Why does she have to worry about her chest being visible when men don't have to worry about the same thing. They come out here.
Speaker 2: I take my tits out all the time. How come Mula can't take hers out if she wants to, just because she has mammary glands, just because she feeds babies off of those.
Speaker 7: Hah hah huh.
Speaker 1: I have heard nothing to say, Jess. So fabulous Muller puts Winter writ on the top rope and yanks back on her, and then.
Speaker 2: They're very good. You're making fun of Mulla's enchiladas.
Speaker 7: I see.
Speaker 2: Torvendous.
Speaker 1: So when director gets tossed tough, the ropes over to the table area and they all kind of go for cover. Dave Wolf comes over as Fabulous Mulla does the bicep flex and they show Cindy getting up at her perch there at the end of the aisleway, and Vince for some reason.
Speaker 2: Says hello there.
Speaker 1: When they show Sidney Laupper, Fabulous Mulla keeping kicking Wendy Rictor to stop her from re entering the ring and then wait, wolf is allowed to be at fucking ringside? Yes, Fabus Mulla shouts, day, you know, well that's what she wanted. Fabulous Mulla sodded proclamation that said Cindy Lapper in particular was banned from ring. Sign so she was the one that hit her over the head with a loaded purse in the garden. So a fabous Mulla shouts down to Lapper from the ring down the aisleway, and Wendy Richter then takes that opportunity to hit her with a drop kick from behind and that sends Fabulous Mulla up and over the top ropes down onto the concrete when director goes out with a big right hand and Jesse says, big mistake from fabulous Mulla there taking a rye off the ball as Wendy Ricchtor loads Mulla back end of the ring, cut off of an iriship in a backdrop by Mulla as Vince calls her the Mullah one count. Vince says, not much of a cover there as Fabulus Mulla's pounding and scratching and head butting on her knees. Wendy Rictor then comes up and hits her. I don't know if she's something to the foot called a kick to the chest by Vince. I don't know exactly what she did. She kind of just nudged over her foot. Then fabulous Mulla to her knees on the ropes and grabs the top rope by Wendy Richtor. But Wendy Richter can lift her and dump her. That'll hurt, Vince says. Whatever she does, she does it again, and Mulla's back is to the canvas cover like gets a one count. It's just it's it's a mess.
Speaker 2: It's not great. No, no, it's it's it's awful. It's not even not great, it's just dreadful.
Speaker 1: Mulla kicking out at one is always hilarious. Uh, back up, Mulla jabs the gut, throws a chop of course, goes across the top rope and yanks her backwards again. She just kind of puts her throat on the top rope and pulls back on the rope. So many shady people at ringside, man, so many guys in the front row with like sunglasses on inside. I don't want to know, yep, I don't want to know.
Speaker 2: Come on, they're just they're loving what they're what they're feeling inside as from.
Speaker 1: What as for our match and time to go home? Fabulous Mulder picks her up, goes for a slam, but Wendy Richter answers with an inside cradle for the quick one, two, three and a big pop. In just four minutes straight, Wendy Richard defeats the Fabulous Mula here on NBC. These matches are six minutes, six minutes, four minutes, and we're having the time of our lives.
Speaker 2: I know. That's that's the thing these are. You know what's amazing is these matches are so fast. They're like Attitude Era fast, but they feel more complete than Attitude Era matches do.
Speaker 1: The Terry Funk match feels like a thirty minute classic. It's like eight minutes. Yep, absolutely because you just put the best stuff, you know. These these wrestlers were against each other all over the loop and all these untelevised house shows, working out what works and what doesn't, and when it comes time for a big spotlight show like a pay per view or a Saturday Night's Made event, they know what to edit out. We compared the Terry Funk matches on the Loop versus the one on NBC, and he just keeps the best stuff and he cranks up the dial on some things and makes it even more wild and crazy and impressive. So yeah, I mean, I'm there, you know, I'm there for the best version of what these two can do instead of of course, the first time they've ever worked together is on live television trying to figure it out, or at least the first time in a while that they've worked each other. Cindy Lauper then jumps up and comes racing to the ring. It's kind of a cool visual because right after Wendy wins, of course, now it's fair game for Cinndy Lappert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now she can go because she's not going to interfere in the match.
Speaker 1: Then she bounces up and races down the aisle and the camera follows her. There's just tremendous a jubilation. She's still fighting, by the way, This is where she fights to keep someone from grabbing her jacket from her hands, which is in her hand when she runs to the ring. Now, but Laper gets in the ring and embraces Richter and they bounce around, hugging and high fiving and Dave Wolf's in there as well, and I believe there's a famous shot in hear of them dancing in a circle.
Speaker 2: They would win. They do like a dosey dough type, so.
Speaker 1: Much jubilation, and then Richro flashes the belt in Mulla's face. It had a powder blue leather strap at the time, by the way, and Lapper tries to lift Richter in celebration, but you can't really do it and embrace for Dave Wolf and Vince said it's going to be difficult to equal this match for excitement, but if anyone can, it's the junkyard Dog to say, of course, nothing of his opponent.
Speaker 2: Listen, listen, I think he's the most exciting part of the whole fucking thing.
Speaker 1: Oh you wait, take a break. We come back and the lights are giving us those great spark those great like lines.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, the star yep yep, starburst effect. They are the starburst flares flares.
Speaker 1: Right, Gene is with Jyd and a woman in purple.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, oh boy, here we go.
Speaker 14: You know everybody likes to do something special for their mother on Mother's Day. I had chunk yard Dog. You've gone hogwild. You brought your mom all the way up to New York for Mother's Day?
Speaker 11: What about it?
Speaker 2: You know, my mother never been in New York before, and I thought this was a very special time to bring it up for Mother's Daylight. Wish all the mother out there in all TV land. I have her mother, lady, and also my mother.
Speaker 14: All right, Bertha, you've got to be proud of a song that is soul, generous and so gibby, real.
Speaker 11: Real proud and real proud. I hope he'd be able to come hover to soon.
Speaker 14: All right, I thank you very much. Happy Mother's Day to you, and let's go up to the ring at Howard Finkel for the end production.
Speaker 2: So she's not that proud if she wants him to come home. No, not really actually probably disappointing that you know, he's not fucking you know, working for his daddy or something instead of instead of doing all this fake shit.
Speaker 1: Well's ironic that she wants him to come home when, according to Jyd's biography, she left home and left him abandoned as a child. Wow, no shit, I don't know if this is Bertha, but Jyd's grandmother raised him because his father and mother were both out of the kitchen. This is from the King of New Orleans, How the Junkyard Dog became Fresh or Westn's first black superhero by Greg Klein. His mother, too, would disappear at times. Sylvester and his sister Christine were mostly raised by their grandmother r Z Lee Ritter, alongside their cousins Vera and Carl Ray Ritder. Sylvester also had a half brother, Calvin Coltson, who grew up elsewhere. Very few of Sylvester's friends and neighbors remember seeing or even hearing about his father, John wall and Bertha Ritter was gone long enough that her children and the people around them referred to r Z as their mother. The grandmother was referred to as Wow, and there was some speculation of this actually isn't j why D's mother, but it's but is in fact his grandmother. But there's no way this woman is old enough to be his grandmother, so this probably is. You know, I'm sure mom was all of a sudden, very very keenly interested in the boy as so.
Speaker 2: Oh the moment, the moment he was making money. I'm sure I'm sure she was like, I love you so much. I always believe fucking go exactly if it was. I always knew you do something, you.
Speaker 1: Know, if it wasn't for me, Little little things like that. Yeah, of course, remembering like three vignettes.
Speaker 2: Always you don't I always. I always believed in you. That's what I did. I taught you how to be self reliant.
Speaker 1: And she's dressed in her Sunday best God.
Speaker 2: Bless her, Oh my god, sh fucking purple and everything. Hey boss, who's his opponent? The dog out chest out.
Speaker 20: On the other hand, Pete dirty, Generally speaking, you're much more predictable. I mean, we can look at that.
Speaker 21: I am not homicidal, suicidal or psychotic.
Speaker 20: McMahon, I don't. I don't recall anyone stating that you were misty. I just meant you are more predictable in terms of.
Speaker 11: I am unpredictable.
Speaker 15: I'm just as unpredictable as Johnny Ross and Charlie Fulton right here.
Speaker 17: I'm the do just by the way too. You.
Speaker 2: I work hard for that title, and I wanted the Duke that.
Speaker 11: Dot that's the baby. I came all the way from the Duke them.
Speaker 2: To get to head Duke Darty.
Speaker 20: Get a hold of yourself.
Speaker 11: I got a hold of myself.
Speaker 21: I am not suicidal, homizophrenic.
Speaker 2: Is he genocidal?
Speaker 11: I'm good as saying as he is.
Speaker 2: And a guy on a end, thank you t s A Titans. That's fucking amazing.
Speaker 1: He Dougherty said in a series of panels that Vince had one episode where he brought in not jobbers, not enhancement talent. He called them unsung heroes and folly at a time, the jabbronis of the era, like Jose Luis Vera, Steve Lombardi, Charlie Fulton. Uh and yes, in fact, the Duke of Dorchester, Pete Doherty sat with Vince on the set and Doherty was the only one with like a personality basically, and he he came in guns a blazing like a total maniac. Let's get to know Pete Doherty a little bit better, please, great article on the Globe about him and what he meant. H as kind of like a Boston original in the w w F Rings. I just emailed it to you and.
Speaker 2: I forgot who. I know it's in the Boston Globe, but I forgot who wrote the piece. Who's the author? Hold on, I'm opening up right now. I'll let you know in a moment. It is get the fuck out of here. By some unknown clown named Jack and who went to visit Pete Doherty at the Dukedom in East Falmouth, Massachusetts. Okay, my god, it had lunch with the man at the British Beer Company down the street. Holy, it was so much fun to get to interview Pete Doherty and spend some time with him. And this is what came. Local boy made bad too much delight. Boston wrestler knew how to lose. That's fucking fantastic. Pete Doherty didn't win much, but Boston loved him just the same. Nearly two decades after he first stepped into the wrestling ring, Doherty the Duke daw Shasta, was doing an on camera interview in a Boston garden locker room in the late nineteen eighties. The interviewer asked, what will you ever do if you win? He didn't think I'd have a comeback, Doherty remembered, I said, Hey, if I ever win a match, I'm gonna retire guy rules period. Oh my god, the challenge will be over. All I gotta do is win one and I'm done. Look at that that fucking picture by the way up top of this fucking it's like it looks like an animal. He has those two on the bottom row man when he oh, it really does. Dougherty first appeared before wrestling crowds and green tights, playing the friendly irishman, but he always felt he'd be better as a bad guy or quote heal and he soon dropped the the Celtic garb in favor of black tights, a biker vest, and shoulder length bleached blonde hair. Rounding out his image was a mostly toothless bottom gum line. He told fans he lost the teeth in the ring, though it was actually in an auto accident. Yeah, it's right.
Speaker 20: He told me that.
Speaker 2: It looked like two fangs. He already said I would never wear the denires in the ring. I would grab an em and act like I was biting it. Doherty carved his niche and wrestling by losing preliminary matches in an exciting manner, which generated enthusiasm for his up and coming opponent, who's fighting appeared more spectacular because of the amplified way Doherty would react when he was hit. Jack explains wrestling six paragraphs down, like in case you weren't aware wrestling is predetermined and fake. I didn't put that in there, and I should have, though you should have. Dan Muradi mad Arati Muradi was there when the Duke did finally win one, though he did not in fact retire on the spot. It was August nineteen ninety in Boston Garden and Doherty was wrestling a Samoan named Coup who ran and crashed into the corner of the ring. After Dougherty dodged him, the Duke rolled them up, recalled Murate of Melrose. MURATEI, a lifelong Boston Garden devotee, plans to gather Doherty and eight other grapplers from Garden matches past past at Suffolk Down Saturday for wrestle Fest. The video game didn't play. The video game only long, and even Doherty won't have to worry about absorbing any piled drivers. It will be a night of questions and answers, autographs, and mingling themed around forty years of raucous wrestling on Niland Street. Similar conventions have drawn good crowds in southern cities where wrestling was popular. You're not gonna see a show. You know you're not gonna see a show. A performance. Yeah, you get to meet the guys, these guys, Murati said. Murati promises appearances by wrestlers spanning all eras of garden grappling, from the look at you. You fucking did it, by the way, right there, garden grappling, fucking sun of the best who went to that fucking alliteration from the sixties, Walter Killer, Kowalski and Ox Baker from the seventies, the Iron Chic and Polish Power Ivan Putski from the eighties, the genius Lammi, powfo Mounth of the South to Jimmy Hart, Greg the Hammer, Valentine and Roade Warrior Animal, and from the nineties World Wrestling Entertainments Mick Foley and Dustin Rhodes who was formerly known as gold Dust. And there's Doherty sixty one, whose quirky stardom kept him off the Marquee but in front of Boston spectators in the seventies and eighties. Doherty's career is rooted in the traditions for which Murradi and the thousands more who turned out for monthly Garden Wrestling are nostalgic. He was raised in a Dorchester triple decker on South Monroe Terrace, where he was captivated by wrestling on television. After graduating from Hyde Park High School and serving three years in the Army, he worked out as a cable puller at General Dynamics in Quincy. What's that? What is General Dynamics? I a big industrial company? I got cham He got into wrestling after he met grapplers working out at a combat Zone gym and sought training in the ways of the ring. He hooked up with Vince McMahon Senior's world Wide Wrestling Entertainment outfit and had his first match in a Sauga's skating rink in nineteen seventy one. Funny enough, there was no ring. Actually it wasn't even actually a show. It just happened to He just fucking had an impromptu match while everyone else was skating. Everyone else is at the Kowloon. Right after, he wrestled short stants in Georgia, Florida, Canada, and Kuwait in the early seventies, Doherty resolved to stay rooted in Boston. He also wanted the pension that came with full time work at General Dynamics, so wrestled in locations only within driving distance from Boston. By his own account, he'd often put in a day of wiring at General Dynamics from seven am to three pm, then push one hundred miles per hour in his nineteen seventy one LP convertible on the mass Pike at night en route to wrestling bookings as far as far away as Philadelphia and Baltimore. He often arrived late, and once was tardy at a wrestling event in all but in New York, where he was greeted sarcastically by wrestling great chief j Strongbow. Strongbow says me, in front of all the boys, Look here, Look who's here, the freaking Duke of DoD Chester, Doherty said. So it stuck weekly bookings and smaller local venues. Doherty estimates he wrestled in nearly every high school in Massachusetts, and monthly events at Boston Garden meant less milad for Doherty and a chance to raz hometown crowds infamous for their passionate love for good guys and equally passionate hatred for bad guys like Doherty, which was often expressed by bottle throwing, spitting and swinging you Now, Boston Gotten was the toughest place in the world of wrestle. Dougherty said, go to the ring. Coming from the ring, you had taken a wife on your hands. Yep f. That's pretty much what every uh I feel like whenever he uh Massachusetts native says about their life. At some point, Oh, I had to take my life in my own hands. I'll tell you that I was walking, you know, I was driving and DrAk and going to the movie in my own hands. He coded, he coded, he was in the back of that ambulance and he coded all they coded on I'll tell you you know, there's no joke. We all EMTs. Now, what the fuck does that mean? I know every other person you meet in the state works at some fucking hospital. Doctors, listen, listen. I think I think that's that's kind of the prerequit to be a Massachusetts resident. You have to have worked in a medical office at some point. Yeah, at least been a nurse.
Speaker 1: If you're a woman from Massachusetts who hasn't worn scrubs, then there's something going on you.
Speaker 2: You're not really you were not born in Massachusetts, basically, is what it is.
Speaker 17: Like.
Speaker 2: I can't so it was so funny, like when when we graduated college and I saw and I'm like, you know, back in the day when I'd actually be on Facebook and I'd look around and I'd be like, like, looking at all these people that I knew from high school, and everyone's a fucking nurse. Everyone's a fucking nurse. Like that looked like it. I just want to I just want to. I see a over.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ, I just saw the ice coffee line at rush hour. There is not a nursing shortage in this town.
Speaker 2: Oh ship.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 2: The fans who ran into Dougherty at the at the ir Pub Eerie e Eerie Pub, you can spell that better. Was it your fault? Did you have a type I r E. Yeah, you'll have to let the Keltic you have to let the Celtic folks know. Then. At the Eerie Pub, though, would ask about his well being after a tough match, though many of them wished death upon him the night before. The good will stem from Dorry's ability to make opponents look good, a quality highly valued in a business where perception trumps all. He was a good man. He was good in the ring, said wrestling great Walter Killer Kowalski of Stonehm. That's right. I forgot I.
Speaker 1: Forgot I talked to Killer Kowalski for this article until I read this, and that's when I asked him. I said, why is it called the Boston Crab Killer?
Speaker 2: And he did not know?
Speaker 1: And I was so let down because I thought there was one person who would know. It would be a guy who was probably around when it was minted as such, and he was from Boston, so he probably would have had some interest in why it was called that. Nope, no clue, Nope, nothing, not a five clue.
Speaker 2: Yep. I mean what I think is hilarious, and I'm you know, this is just I love that that you do an article on fucking Pete Doherty. You talk to Killer Kowalski about Pete Doherty and don't do an article on killing.
Speaker 16: Is that true?
Speaker 1: That's the best part thing about Killer is Jesus Christ. He'd had fucking four hundred thousand articles written about him.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course, who tossed a stone? Who tossed Dougherty around during his storied career, Hey go in the ring and the other guy beat him. I always won. The audience is disdained for the Duke soon warmed into a familiarity that turned the Duke of Dorchester into a fan favorite in Boston. Even though he behaved despicably in the ring, he has a cult following about him in this area, Muradi said today. The summary East Falmouth, home Dougherty moved to in the late eighties. He calls it the Dukedom. Yes, do dumb remember his hands up? That's fucking amazing, contains few mementos of his days in the ring, two framed pictures, programs, and a copy of No Holds Barred, a film produced like how did he fucking get Like? It's hilarious that he got into these primes situations? I no, I agree, you know, I mean he's on. He technically made events. The first fucking Saturday's made event. He's in No Holds bar There right, a film produced by Vince muc Man nineteen eighty nine, featuring a brief Dougherty cameo sitting set in the basement. After two decades of kicking opponents in the groin behind the referees back, Doherty is leving the good life at home with his wife and one of two daughters, though his back and knees still bother him occasionally. He had, after all, taken much abuse over the years, and as he lay on the mat after countless beatings in the garden, he studied the Celtics championship banners which hung from the rafters. That bouncing a ball all around the cart and we're bouncing our bodies all around the run, right, It sounds like something like a fucking relative would say, Oh, yeah, they're doing all this, But I'm doing this fucking pieces of shit, and those guys were making we're making we're making megabucks, and we were making peanuts even though we were selling out the same building. He said, But we really had a hell of a time. That's fucking amazing good times at Pete Doherty. I was glad to see. I'm I don't remember. I mean, I was. I was in LA at the time.
Speaker 1: They had created a monster because they let me do that profile on John Cena. I remember, and I was like, oh my god, I can pitch all this stuff and they'll go for it.
Speaker 2: I just I was, I I'm I don't. I feel like you would have told me about this too. I don't remember. I don't remember this one at all.
Speaker 1: It was part of I did like a larger piece on the history of wrestling in Boston to go inside with with that, and then when I went down to see Pete, I was like, this is this kind of stands on its own.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And they had a section that was always hungry for longer stories called.
Speaker 2: City Weekly, so I was like, fuck, yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: That was the one where I put rival promoters in the same article without knowing it, and they were like, if I knew you were talking to that fucking asshole, I never would have. I was like, this is so is so New England, but right now, you know, it was like instead of like the massive coverage, you know, their their eye is on the fact that you know some guy.
Speaker 2: That they're If I known you were going to do that, I would have never let you out of you cockshack. I love it. Piece of Shift. The Duke.
Speaker 1: The Duke, that was fun. That really was fun. Going to hang with him for an afternoon. I wonder by some him. Later he came to a Ring of Honor show they did in Dorchester and I remember he got in the ring and he screened that.
Speaker 2: Best people in the world off from God and they all screamed, It's like, oh God, only one human being in the history of mankind has said that, with all due respect, right, no one's ever said that, just great, not even not even normal residents of Dorchester said that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're all they all live south without Georgester. Now anyway, some strange reason in the seventies they all moved away.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: He rips off his jacket and does the does the the dog. He's here to do business, grab them cakes, at least according to Peacock. Again, it's another one bites the dust on the original and he comes out holding his mom's hand in the spirit of Mother's Day.
Speaker 2: And yep, oh well, hey, I do have I do have finx announcement by the way of the of of Pte Doherty.
Speaker 18: In the ring at this time from Dorchester, Massachusetts, weighing two one hundred forty five pounds.
Speaker 17: The Duke of Dorchester, Pete Doherty.
Speaker 2: It's so tremendous, it's so great. There he is.
Speaker 1: And were you cringing like I was that one of these fans was gonna grab Bertha inappropriately on her way to the ring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, she's like all over the place.
Speaker 1: There is a moment where Jyd snaps his head around, like what's your problem?
Speaker 2: Man? Gets right in someone's face. Yeah, because they grabbed.
Speaker 1: They didn't grab her in appropriately, but they grabbed him and like stopped their progress. Wild wild stuff, wild scenes, as they say now, and you better believe Mel Phillips is lingering.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, around ring side, he's hungry.
Speaker 1: JD Predator seats his mom at ringside and slugs Doherty from the apron and drops him with the head button. Run away final match here on the first Saturday Nights Made event and the ring JD slugs Dorty comes up swinging at nothing in particular, does the Duke of Dorchester Irish whipping a big wind up in a lariat by the dog drops Doherty and he does you know the our our ror mouth thing he used to do. Yep, the dog is one of a kind. Vince Mcmandaclayer is of course, you know, we know eighty five, eighty four, eighty five In particular, they had designs and making JYD the number two baby face under Hogan. We talked about this when he did the whole Comania VHS tape for the Cossseum Home video collection and how JOYD is so prominently featured but the drug issues were just too much and he just became unreliable and it didn't really work out. I think that, you know, in some ways this show is symbolic of that because Paul o Oren Dwarf is obviously coming up the rear as the number two baby face now right right now, the dog spot. You can never say that without it's either him or Patterson that comes up. The self Professor Duke of Dorchester.
Speaker 2: H here we go. This this, this is, this is abstually tremendous. Okay, this is one of the greatest fucking things I ever heard, and the visual really adds to it.
Speaker 16: Just listen, he self Professt Duke called Dorchester Pete Darty. I think problems when they get dared, big problems. Cardy messing up you teeth. He's gonna mess some hair as well. And the dog watch the Grand Pete Garty around his old gurry unique style.
Speaker 2: Of course, he's working seven to three at the fucking shipyard. On top of it, you know, he did fucking like can you imagine how fast he drove to fucking Long Island in the Camaro whatever Friday, I mean Friday fucking night. He's got rush.
Speaker 1: He's got to make a Saturday night show at the Spectrum in Philly.
Speaker 2: Exactly, God, exactly, not to mention a Sunday morning show in Lowell. All right, he rolled in Philly like four am on Saturday, like like this fucking guy, all right, he gets toss from the ring j Whitey grabs his hair and his mouth. The Duke's mouth extends maybe five inches, yes, all right, and all you see is this black from his hollow mouth, and then you see the fucking little fangs, his little fucking snaggle teeth on the bottom, and it's just like it's one of them. And then you hear this high pitched screech at like honestly, honestly, like you know what I see where Daniel Stern got his inspiration from. All right, it's sucking Duke of dog Chester and it is just one of the greatest. Like I just I rewound that maybe three times because it was so amazing. I'm glad you isolated that I forgot about him squealing.
Speaker 1: Like ah, the screaming was just so tremendous, like what Mick Foley would do his mankind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: Interesting and this is all happening right in front of Mama dog By the way, yes there observing it like it's Sunday.
Speaker 2: Which I would imagine that he probably cranked it up a few notches just just because she was They happened to be in front of her, absolutely, you know.
Speaker 1: And Dorty even cocks his fist like he's gonna hit the mom and Jyd stops that and loads him back into the ring. Doughty pounces though on the dog as they re enter, and Vincess he's no slouch at all, but he has no effect on the on the dog.
Speaker 2: Here what he's doing.
Speaker 1: And Junkyard dog pounces right back in floors some with a right hand and a snapmare by the JYD and he goes vintage with those head butts down on all fours that he used to do. Yep, that draws an ouch from Ventor as well as Vince says. It's he's like a big bull mask if in there is the Jyd. Dorty hits the floor, refling in the count. Dorerty climbs up, gets cut off, tossed off the top rope ric flair style with a gorilla presslamb. Dorty came here to bump. They did listen listen, right, Doty Doerty knows what he has to do. Doherty here, Doherty is here to show the Long Island faithful exactly what it means to be a heel jobber in this business.
Speaker 2: All right. He is there to show you, all right, he's Pete Doherty is there to make stars. Yes, that's what he's doing.
Speaker 1: Jesse says that one came from ten feet up, by the way.
Speaker 2: Which again you do that math that they're they're not wrestlers are taller than the turn buckles, okay, yep, which means that the turn buckles are like five feet. Okay, I mean maybe his head is ten feet, but he didn't have a ten foot fall. Okay, not even close the five falls as far as Jyd's arms can reach and right, ten feet exactly. Yeah. I always they always do that. They always make it seem like if you actually think about how tall everything is, you know, it makes no sense what they say, Like they always talk about like in the other like they talk about the like the ring post being like fifteen twenty feet high from the from the floor, and it's like, no, it's not possible. Like again, they're taller, they're taller than the apron buy a significant amount, Like the apron's got to be like four and a half feet and then you know, then you add five feet on top of that with the turn buckles. That's nine and a half feet. That's not fifteen feet. It's not twenty feet, right, no, right, And like this is twenty foot high steel cage. Like do you the wrestlers are more than half the height of the cage. Like the only twenty foot cage is the hell on hisself. That's twenty foot cage. You know. But like when they have the blue cage out there and they talk about a fifteen foot high steel cage, No, it's not like these guys are six feet and you know, six seven feet and like they're they're more than halfway up the fucking gage. Oh good stuff. Wrestling math Man is a bizarre thing.
Speaker 1: Well, the nation is getting introduced to wrestling math on this night, I would think, and.
Speaker 2: Some yeah fuks here okay, great.
Speaker 1: Now has a headful of Dougherty's hair and hitting those head butts rubbery legs, and Pete Doherty called out, it's so funny. Pete Doherty is the guy with the rubber legs on this show and he didn't have an lj N. They should have made one for him though.
Speaker 2: He should have just for shit. I mean, that would be a great collector's I'm sure.
Speaker 1: One of these novelty wrestling feeder companies that have sprouted up in the past decade have done one of him, because he he was one of those like deep cut guys that if you knew, you knew, you know what I mean? Yeah, Jyd with the atomic drop, and they talk about how much of an embarrassment it would be if the junk junkyard Dog lost this match on Mother's Day. Yeah, it's only that it's Mother's Day. It's that it would be to the Duke of Dorchester.
Speaker 2: That would be the biggest. So they cut to Mom.
Speaker 1: She's smiling but kind of apprehensive, I think, still about being there. They talk about earlier how she's never you know, left Louisiana, never been in New York before, or whatever the case. She doesn't really want to be there, let's be honest.
Speaker 2: Oh no, she listens to the last thing. The only reason she's there is because she heard Vince McMann will give her a paycheck. She heard there's gonna be cake all over the room at the Yes, Matt too page check.
Speaker 1: J y d then lifts up Pete Doherty with a bit of a delay.
Speaker 2: You can tell that vinsic man, I'm not doing this for free. She trusts all them up at the end. I'm not going out there, mister McMahon. You know you said to me, I'm on TV, I'm gonna work for money. Your mother sure does love you, Sylvester.
Speaker 14: Oh she is.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what she is. A character, she said here on the w characters are welcome. According to Dick Everson.
Speaker 1: When he brought in Bertha Fay in the mid nineties, you gotta think, oh, for sure, he's always had a thing about you know, THEA characters. You know, like, yes, black moms like he He remember he had a Bobby Lashley, No was Shelton Benjamin. He hired an actress that looked just like this. He could be his mama. He just thought there was the funniest thing in the world.
Speaker 2: Because because he's racist and comes down you know, so uh yeah, so he did. And the thing is, you know, he's racist and doesn't understand that he is. That's the thing about Vindric Mann is that he doesn't understand that he actually is racist. That's funny.
Speaker 1: What's coming into relief is like Paul like, I don't know all these a lot of black wrestlers have going to a w and have kind of intimated like it's not a great place to be African American in these days, which I thought was fascinating in which one. That's one thing about Vince, like really as as much as he could perpetuate stereotypes, yeah.
Speaker 2: He did, he did. Yeah, you know what I mean, he did lean into some stuff for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the whole time, there was always a spot at the table and it's and it's it's it shouldn't be like a token spot. That that was a problem with wrestling. It was like, you know, we have one black star and that's it. That's enough.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 2: That was always so right.
Speaker 1: That was my junk yard. Dog was a fucking millionaire. Was because the promoters had that mentality. Although he was exceptionally talented and had exceptional charism, I should say it was good on the stick. He was the man for the job, no question. But but that was the mentality we really just need one, uh at that time, and but now Vince was all you know, Vince was always on the hunt for black Stars and and and took a particular interest in in pushing them put Kobe Kingston over, although yuh, the lawsuit tells us perhaps for different reasons than we would have liked to have thought. Yes, yep, but in fact that that's an interesting one. So j Wyde lifts in the delay in a big power slam that gets the one, two, three, and uh. In three minutes and fifteen seconds. The junk Yard Dog defeats Pete Doherty here at Saturday Night's main event. No react and whatsoever. They cut to one fan who's standing with his hand raised. Something went wrong clearly here because you see Jyd looking down on Doherty like he's not done with the match, and he's very slow to get up from his knees after the successful three count, and you can tell he's thinking about what to do. I think I think he expected Doherty to kick out, honestly, or that there was more of the match to do. I'm not sure what it was, but it's very strange.
Speaker 2: Asked him.
Speaker 1: I know I should have asked him. Yeah, I didn't really have this fresh in my mind, that I didn't have a streaming service to look it up, but I would have I would have definitely asked him about this, realizing when you look at the whole sweep of his career, this was the most exposure he had had, was this, ma.
Speaker 2: I don'lt imagine. This's got to be the biggest thing he ever did.
Speaker 1: He had a big match on that final night at the Garden show they did in ninety five before they closed down the old Garden. They played it up a lot because he was the local guy.
Speaker 2: So that might be it. But as far as I, yeah, he's STI alive, that's crazy. I thought he would have been gone by now. To me, he felt he was eighty when I went to visit. He looked eighty in this fucking match. I know, you know he's not even eighty. He's seventy nine. It's wild. He'll be eighty in a couple of days, actually be eighty, and he'll be eighty in uh five days. Unbelievable.
Speaker 3: It's the Lapsed Fall wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnacio m JP sorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it says design. He was called one of his names the designated hit Man. I never heard of that one. Brett the Desert it hit man Hard.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, this is right around the time that they first started calling Brett the Hitman. I saw an episode of Primetime where Jesse says Brett Hart as a new nickname because this is where.
Speaker 2: Like Annville is a hit man. Yeah, that's what they said.
Speaker 1: But this is where Anvil came in for like two weeks before Brett Hart did and and did some you know, powered squash matches at the garden and stuff before Brett came in, right after e Vince bought out ste And you know, Anvil was temporarily and he was with Jimmy Hart. I don't think he was temporarily with Heen and I think he may have been. But they presented Anvil as like this new powerhouse singles heel, and all of a sudden, Brett shows up and their tag team. It's only it's in a matter of weeks between WrestleMania one and this show that it all goes down. And it's so funny to hear them talk about Brett like this newcomer, you know that they're curious about. But yeah, so the mom comes in the ring and they dance.
Speaker 2: Because I'm sy, I'm just looking up some some quick stuff on on on the duke. Here does Brett talk about him in his book that hen look it up because he beats him in a King of the Ring in ninety one. Open. Yeah he uh, Dougherty, I guess replaced. Uh he replaced the tornado not surprisingly? Oh really? Yeah, yeah, he's not the book interesting. I never knew that he writes about everything else. He doesn't run up. He fucking doty idiot, fucking breads.
Speaker 1: Supposed to kick out another book coming out focused on match by match recollections.
Speaker 2: All right, he'll be in that one. Yeah, it could be. We'll have some more talk about pat roach. My god, is j Y d heaving after this match? He is, Oh my god, bathing so heavily like that. Listen, listen he is. He is sucking wind like a kid sucks down a fucking milkshake.
Speaker 1: And the mom gets up on the apron and has a hard time getting under the middle rope that they manage, and they do the dance. They boogy a little bit, so listen he if yeah, he barely boogies. All right, I told you he is so fucking ghasted, and.
Speaker 2: It's just so Vince can say, I wonder if the dogs had to get down. Oh yeah, look at this. He loves that, and he says, oh yeah, mama, yeah, and she hardly does anything. Mama gets down. Yeah, I love mama getting down.
Speaker 1: And Vince reminds you me that we're going to give you a Mother's Day surprise with Cindy Lauper to close.
Speaker 2: Out this show. And then everybody wants go to break to.
Speaker 1: Come back, and there's a party scene. It looks like the same facility they rented out for Butcher Overshawn's wedding.
Speaker 2: That they tracked. I imagine that it probably is the fact that they were welcome back is a fucking miracle. I bet it's there. I bet it's like a fucking set or something in there in there in any Titan Towers. No, no, this is no.
Speaker 1: They didn't have anything at Titan Towers. Then, besides the control room, they taped TNT and ownings mills may okay, yeah, now this was the this was something they rented. I remember Steele saying they rented a place to do that, and that everyone got so drunk that they they swore by the time it was over and the cake was everywhere, and that woman was remember the Samonans grabbed that woman by the hair, and we're like, oh, yeah, for she had a fucking panic attack because she really thought that they were going to like assault her. And everyone's slipping and sliding that there's no way they're going to air this because no one never done this for pro wrestling before. This was like heels and faces in the same banquet hall.
Speaker 2: It was so stupid. I were Aaron at Pale, that's great stuff. And so this is just so weird.
Speaker 1: And this is another page out of that book. Trying to bring that to NBC Primetime or NBC Network Television. Yeah, it's it's it's Bertha.
Speaker 2: She's there. They interview her quickly. She says she's real proud, blah blah blah. And you know what I love too about this fucking scene is that everybody, first of all, you get this number one, you've got this, you get heels, Yep, you do invited like like like Sydney Lauper invited her enemies. Yes she did to this thing, okay, and and and but they're all in a line, like they're all in like a receiving line so they can face the camera right, and it's so awkward and so phony stand there like that. But the best part is seeing the iron cheek and Nikolai Volkov just standing around holding disposable cups in their hand. My god, like just imagine, like again, you're just like at a at a at a at a function, at like a party, and like they're just standing around, like you know, just talking and drinking from their fucking you know, plastic cups in full ring wear too, and yeah, exactly, you know, he's still wearing his fucking Russian hat and everything amazing, just hilarious.
Speaker 1: She says, gene me and him sick and tone of Cyndi Lauper and that's fat Lue Albano and a band was like, hey, there's a chance to get in the frame.
Speaker 2: Hey, and she has invited.
Speaker 1: They invited him too late to get his mom out there, and Volkov's crying about how his mother's in Moscow and she can't be here. And Vlassie is with this young blonde woman and he calls her his mother, Laura.
Speaker 2: Laura. Yeah, that's right. It's like maybe I think, like forty years younger than him. Totally.
Speaker 1: She's some model. I'm sure they hired to bring in or something like that. Yeah, I'd love to know anybody that can identify her or be fascinating because I'm always obsessed with like these these short little casting decisions they make for these skits back then these people end up in the world of wrestling for like twenty five seconds, I know, and they're like they're they're they're in so many ways like massively important, right, you know, because like you just like, why.
Speaker 2: Are they there? Why them? How did that happen? What exactly what went on to to have this person be there in that moment? I need all that information.
Speaker 1: So Jeane's about to, uh, you know, try to investigate whether this is really Freddy Blassie's mother, and Freddy BLASTSI puts a stop to that. Albano has a speech, not a surprise, Let's says something about how Blassi that's definitely not his girlfriend, et cetera. They were chasing this is what Blassie has a poem. Okay, they were just remember Albano, when Lassie were chasing each other around minutes ago, an hour ago, they were trying to kill each other. Albano You're somebody special, can't you see? Because without your mother's we wouldn't be Oh, he says before May the Good Lord Jesus bless you all, and you Katrina most of all. Katrine rather is Katrine Dominique is Cidney Lauper's mother's name, and she's there. Lapper is not her real last name, it's a stage name. So there is Ruth Hogan's back, the same Ruth ho she celebrated in the locker room of the Garden when Hogan pincheeked when the Belt in January eighty four. His father was there as well. Yep, we covered that when we did that show to kick off last year. And Ruth is back in our lives, and Hogan says, this is a very special day with a special lady in a special victory. I've got a lot of good friends here and we're all happy, except for Volkoff and Blassy.
Speaker 2: Those are enemies, man.
Speaker 1: So at least Hulk is doing something to acknowledge right the awkwardness of being in the same room with Heels. It's particularly the one he pinned for the championship the year before, So there's a gene now with Cindy hope everyone's having a good time. She's having a wonderful time, is uh Sidney Lauper's mom. And I'm so pleased about this special occasion because Katrine says, because now mother's all over the world will be so recognized for the job they'd done with their children, or what the fuck that's supposed to mean.
Speaker 2: I mean they weren't before. I understand. I don't know, man, Mother's Day, Wesday's been a holiday long before Saturday's main event.
Speaker 1: I'm looking into this mother's eyes and we've got our We've got a carne on her hands. She's a carney. You can tell she's more than ready for this. Poor Wendy with no mom, has to wish her mom a happy Mother's.
Speaker 2: Day via screen. It's like, no, no, listen, we have enough moms here.
Speaker 1: Did tell CBS that oral history article quote. I was hurt that my mother wasn't invited, But that's kind of how it was with the women's wrestling. You gotta work twice as hard to get half the recognition and pay.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Jean says, this is your day, and Mulla walks in with a fucking Zeus costume on for some reason. I mean literally the costume Tony Lister wore, Tiny Lister ward.
Speaker 2: I bet I bet they, I bet they they won't. We got this Mua use him to Zeus, Huh, what do you think, Zeus?
Speaker 1: She wants to know how can you have a party without inviting Mulah? I want to know how can you have a party and invite Mula. There's a big ass cake there, so we know what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: I want to know, how can you invite Mula to a party?
Speaker 1: She starts coming in and renting a raven and Jean at one point literally says to her face our cameras, if you would she's done. She's not even paying an attention to the fact that everyone's clearly been instructed to face forward.
Speaker 2: As you pointed out, all she's thinking about is fucking Wendy Richteres all right, and fucking doing anything. You can do anything she can to fucking take him, take him, take her down.
Speaker 1: Take he out of the knees. So she's face to face with Cindy Lapper is a fabulous Mula. I have a daughter, and I raised her right. I didn't raise her like she raised you talking to Lapper's mother, and you're about the lousiest looking dream yes, stream she calls Katrina the lousiest looking thing I've ever seen. You look worse than you look in the video. Cindy gets in her face. Don't you talk to my mother like that? Points to her clothes and what is this supposed to be? The way bull is dressed up? She's going on about this thing here with a multicolored hair. We call them a scare crow, making fun of Cidy Lapper's multicolored hair where I come from? And these look worse? And Lapper says, did they rescue you with the UFO on the way today? Because she is dressed like in a spacesuit? Yah Ellis says, you don't even know what that is? A UFO, and then Bullis says, you don't even know either. You don't even know that they You didn't know that they'd scoop you up and take you away with the other scarecrows or whatever you are. So Molla's really just reaching here for grasping its straws talking about scarecrows?
Speaker 2: Is that what you call her?
Speaker 1: Mulla says, yes, mother, No, Cindy says, yeah, this is what you call fashion. That's what my hair is. That is what you call fashion.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 1: Then Mulla goes to the mom and you, how do you call yourself a mother? You want to see my stretch marks, Mullah, I'll show you that. Say that, Oh God, I want to see my stretch marks. You want to see my stretch marks?
Speaker 11: Mullah?
Speaker 2: You don't think I'm a ma bahuh? Well, are you a fucking cunt? Right?
Speaker 1: Then she says Katrine. She looks more like Latrine to me. So that's the piperline reprised. And they're shouting and shouting, and Mom gets in and shoves Mulla and into the cake. And fortunately, on first take, Mulla completely misses this huge sheet cake that's on the table and they have to like hit the ground and pretend they have the cake in their face and come up smearing it all over their face. And Jeane is supposed to fall into the cake, and he comes up with a pretty good cover. He's got a missus doubt fire cream pie face, and Mulla's like, look what you've done to us now? And then there's this hilarious jump cut because they decide to retake Mulla taking cake to the head, so they have they have fucking.
Speaker 2: Who does it? Is it Cindy? Yeah, Cindy picks up a piece of cake.
Speaker 1: And just wax mul over the head with it. The worst jump cut you've ever seen. It's so stupid, it's so campy, and they so pretend that it's by design. And and Jeane says, he goes, I don't mind telling you, He says, I don't mind telling you during all this craziness. He says, I don't mind telling you. As uh Mulla's recovering from the cake shot.
Speaker 2: Enough is enough.
Speaker 1: I'm going ahead to the dry cleaners, he says. Then Mula stands up, throws cake across the room and totally loses her balance and falls down at the knee, lands.
Speaker 2: On her ass a goofball.
Speaker 1: She got a red face and she looks off off to the camera like, oh shit, like I really fucking hurt myself there as Jeane goes on and on and we fade to black.
Speaker 2: Oh and that's that.
Speaker 1: George Steele told Danny brook Holder to me, the biggest change professional wrestling came and this is when we became total entertainment without a doubt. And it was a cartoon over the top, but you were John's wedding on TNT. And then afterwards they had the reception. Vince went out and got a lot of booze, so everybody was pretty well stoned. They were drinking a lot when we did that reception. We had that big fight afterwards and tore up the place. That was a rented place.
Speaker 2: It was not a set.
Speaker 1: The owners went nuts when we started throwing pies and everything. I went up to Vince and I put my head on his shoulder and said, son, you're not going to show this on TV, are you? He says, I sure am. I said, you're going to kill the business. He said, we'll see. They showed that three times on the USA network and wrestling went from number seven and number one on USA.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Back to the arena, Vince and Jesse wrapping things up. Highlight for you, Jess, I got this here for this closing bit.
Speaker 16: Here for him, Jesse Ventura, the highlight of the evening is thus far for you.
Speaker 12: The highlight for me was when Cowboy Bob Morton and Piper's Pit annihilated mister Blunderful Paul Order.
Speaker 2: That was my highlight tonight.
Speaker 20: What about haul Poginson sectional victory.
Speaker 2: I thought it was tight.
Speaker 12: I thought it was slanted. I thought the champion broke every rule that was to break.
Speaker 16: Vince McMahon, all right, well on the last you have the views of Jesse the body Ventura, and we'll be back right after.
Speaker 2: That commercial break.
Speaker 16: That's capacity crowd filing out of the Nassau County Coliseum. We certainly hope that you had an extraordinary time.
Speaker 18: We certainly did so.
Speaker 16: So long from the NADAF County Coliseum on Saturday nights made events.
Speaker 2: There. You have it, everybody, you can go to bed now.
Speaker 3: Announcement as a TJ Disantus production, its contents is intended for private use only