Speaker 1: I want to welcome everyone back to the Pea Show, continuing the Cold War series with Thomas seven seven seven.
Speaker 2: How are you doing, Thomas, I'm well, thank you man. Today I wanted to get in the get them as a somewhat difficult topic to address, I mean, not for the usual reasons people bandy that, but because there's so many misconceptions both on the left and the right and the kind of the sensible center I'm talking about historians, I mean, and there's still a lot of people still have a lot of strong feelings about it. Be that. Be that as it may. There's a basic lack of understanding, even among a lot of revisionists of the kind of broader political context of the war world in strategic terms and in ideological ones. And what I think of is apocal terms. I think people who watch our content, they've they they've kind of become habituated to some of my my vocabulary. When I talk about apocal events, you know, I'm not just trying to draw up on high falutin language or or trying to create my own kind of you know, revisionist esperanto. I can't think of a better way to describe what I'm talking about. And that's a rough translation of a phenomenon that Ernst and Olti describes, you know, and it basically the way to understand it is kind of practical zeitgeist, you know. But that's I just wanted to kind of can clarify that. And you know, as I've talked about before, much as much as they esteem guys like Meerscheimer, they're kind of locked. They're kind of boxed in to the kind of like the clouds of wits he in conceptual UH cube as it were. You know, like a guy like meher Scheimer. If if one wants to understand UH predicted in terms of predictive modeling, I think there's nobody better than him. And like, for example, like in the run of the ninety one Gulf War, nobody UH modeled the outcome of that conflict with more accuracy than he, and in fact, most people were totally off base. He's a clouset Witzian thinker through and through and ways both praiseworthy as well as uh not so praiseworthy. But he's so fixated on on on conceptual modeling and unidentifying like concrete variables that can be insinuated into that sort of modeling that he he really misses apocal uh like variables of apocal significance. Okay, nowhere is that more clear than in his discussion of the Vietnam War. Mershamer is one of these guys uh on the political right, like at the time and subsequent you know, he was constantly he was constantly making issuing the assertion that Indo China was was was strategically without value. You know, He's got this idea that the global north you know, uh, Western Europe, uh, you know, the United States in Canada, Japan, uh, Korea and some of the some of the Upper Pacific rim that that's you know, in the in the Middle East, that's basically that's basically geostrategic terms, that was the only that's the location of the only stakes worth fighting for. But that's not what people go to war anymore, okay. And in fact, uh states going to war over over commodities or over you know, to dominate trade routes and sea lanes. That's really that that really reflects kind of a narrow uh like like like a narrow kind of kind of narrow piece of the modern era. You know, we're in, uh that kind of power, political competition, you know, translated very much to the concrete the need to capture sort of concrete resources. You know. So, uh, it didn't It didn't matter that Vietnam, the Vietnam War happened in Vietnam. You know, if it had happened in Nicaragua, if it had happened and you know, if it had happened in in Greece, if it had happened uh in uh in Borneo like it would, it would not have mattered. You know. That's that that's where the communists pushed. That's where politics kind of conspired and intrigued, you know, for for for great powers to to to come together in hostile terms. And that's where America staked U the line in the sand. So it didn't matter, all right, this is where communism fought, you know, the uh, the American led opposition. You know what what what what that's self identified as the free world, and that's what people like, that's what people in the right, miss Okay. I think people on the left in contrast, you know what they teach college kids, you know, bullshit propagated by people like Chomsky or by people like Coward's in where they claimed that like of Vietnam War, which is you know, the Pentagon like murder machine profiting. That's not really true. I mean the the there there was a kind of the logic of the body count did become kind of uh uh a instead of into itself. And that's perverse in all kinds of ways, but that's kind of the case and in modern war in the twentieth century. And I I'm getting into that in the manuscript and right right now about Nuremberg because about half of it gets into the twentieth century generally. And yeah, there was you know, there was all and anytime there's anytimes a general war on it and and Vietnam was a general war. Okay, you had a draft uh uh you know, you had real casualties. You know, America was mobilized anyway one to the situation in Europe and the ongoing uh the ongoing strategic challenge presented by the Warsaw Pact. But I mean anytime and anytime you're dealing with the general war situation or conditions, uh you know, with with on that spectrum, there's gonna be there's gonna be people and and agents and uh and and and companies that profit from that, okay, but that's not that's not that's not the incentive, Okay, Like you know, uh, America didn't. America didn't kill three million people and and and and lose a sixty thousand of their own, you know, and eventually like impose like a decade long recession on itself just so that it could like sell helicopters to the Pentagon, you know, or so that Cold could you know, manufacture the armor lite and everybody makes money from you know, outfitting the US Army with the ship that it needs. Like that's that that's just a very basic view of things and that's not that's not reality. And uh something I have to other people too, And it's hard to be able to put themselves in in this kind of conceptual mindset because you know, the Cold Wars like receiving like out of living memory. But there was real stakes the warfare in the twentieth century. I mean, that's not to say there weren't reckless decisions made. And that's not to say that during the Cold War, you know, men in the Pentagon and command roles and in the Department of State didn't intriguing and inspire, you know, to go to war when it wasn't absolutely the you know, essential course of action, but this was taken very seriously because there was real consequences. But also you had a real cod reepublic intellectuals shaping defense policy, you know, and you really did a lot of the best in the brightest putting their minds to the waging of warfare. You know, on the technical side, at Los Alamos would be the zenith of that, you know, and people quite literally developing, you know, more and more effective nuclear weapons. But you know, you had you hat like I mean the point of people a lot. If this was nineteen seventy or nineteen eighty, a guy like Elon Musk could be working on SDI. You know, you'd have guys who are going to work on Wall Street now was quants. You know, they'd be working for the Pentagon or the Department of State, where they'd be working, uh for these n g O s you know, to figure out how to uh how to wage World War three. You know you didn't, you didn't just have these idiots and these uh these lose these like losers, uh like like like Pete Botagig, where the fuck his name is? You know, these other these other freaks that you know, you've had in uh Washington since nineteen ninety three, you know, just kind of just kind of deciding that, you know, we're gonna, we're gonna generally deploy in some theater for no particular reason. I mean that that did not happen in the Cold War because it couldn't happen, and it just wouldn't have It would have been like unthinkable, you know, the degree to which there's a paradigm shift in uh, in the public mind, it can't be over emphasized. But what I want to get into today, I want to get into the the political background of Vietnam and why it became such a critical theater. And the next episode, like I said before went live, you know, we'll we'll get into the battlefield situation because that's an important topic. It's not just I mean, I'm not a military guy, and I mean it's not really my wheelhouse, but I do know something about military science topics in a very like abstract sense. I mean, obviously I don't I don't have experience like like grunt stew or something, and I would not purport to, but the but they kind of competing, Uh, I want to get into West Morelands Creighton Abrams and they're kind of tactical orientation. I want to know a guy named John Paul Van and David Hackworth, you know, both of whom had uh had a profound the ideas that they contributed to an asymmetrical warfare. And uh, you know, I want to get into why the US Army really really couldn't adapt itself. It started, I think out the Army because Franks and the Marine Corps as well as the Air Force, like they did adapt free well. And the Air Force is the case. It's pretty remarkable because the Air Force was totally purposed to essentially like drop nuclear ordinance on the warsaw pack that they time and the and the you know, to to repurpose their aircraft, you know, for essentially you know, uh like like like fire support, you know, and a conventional bombing role. That remark. But today we're gonna we're gonna talk about politics, which isn't as sexy as ah as a battlefield kind of stuff, but uh, it's essential to understanding it. And in the case of Vietnam, I think I think it's I think it's uh, I think it's paramount or the military side of things, the seeds of the end of China wars uh, which uh, I mean really we we could say that it goes it's you know, things come as in nineteen thirty one, I mean when when the Jamis Imperial Army assaulted China. But for our purposes, what's conventiond what's conventionally viewed as the Indo China Wars is you know the French UH, the French war against the Vietnam that kicked off I forty. You know, there was the storied defeat that dym been fu. You know, the Forid legion got you know, surrounded and annihilated, you know, and then the American War, which traditionally is viewed as commencing in sixty five because that's when there was the mass conventional build up, you know, he was involvement ended in seventy three. Saigon fell in seventy five. I'd include uh, I'd include the uh the Khmer Rouge conquest of Cambodia within that same like conceptual paradigm too, as well as the nineteen seventy nine war that Vietnam foughtings the people's the public of China, which is fascinating, and that the latter event informs a strategic landscape today in profound ways. I find it fascinating but actually sensible, and I attribute this to Robert Gates also, who was a rare like sensible man and in UH in in power and policy corridors, you know, post ninety three. But he UH Obama, like in my opinion, owing to Gates's tutelage, UH lifted remaining restrictions on arm sales to UH the People's Republic of Vietnam very obviously, you know, employee Vietnam is a military hedge against the People's Republic in China, which is very smart. Honestly. That's that, that's it jumped out of me because it was one of the few, uh, one of the one of the few part of political moves and not only made sense, like rational sense, but actually was was was strategically sound and you'd never really see you as government engage in anything sensible anymore. But en though China, you know, uh, it really it really was kind of the jewel of Southeast Asia. You know, there's a reason why the French hung onto it. And it wasn't just prestige and clout the way they did. You know, Vietnam was not just this backwater. It's a comparatively huge country, you know, very large population, and it was it was a cosmopolitan place, okay, and in geostrategic terms, like I said again, that wasn't paramount. But uh, the French indo China, according to guys who spent a lot of time, spent a lot of time with geopolitics, you know, beginning in really in the nineteenth century, like on Crimean War. Actual, yeah, probably around like eighteen twelve, they final Napoleonic era, as is that kind of closed out, and Europeans started thinking a lot about about the the you know, the then contemporary battlefield. People generally associated into China with the kind of the eastern third of the mainland of South East Asia, okay, and they viewed it as essential in that regard. Like I'm you know, not just as like a hedge against the you know, powers emerging within the interior. But uh, you know, there's it's it's you know, it's got it's got cxs obviously, you know, on this extensive coast, you know, things like that. So it's Americans tend to be kind of geo strategically illiterate, and they Mosto got the time to dismissed everywhere some backwater and that's that's particularly as guiding as at Vietnam. Like, yeah, Vietnam was largely backwards in ninety sixty five, but most of this planet was backwards in ninety sixty five. And those places that weren't, like a lot of them were still like in ruins because twenty years before, like you know, the world the gone to hell in a hand basket, and you know in uh there were some places, including in Europe, mostly behind the wall, but not exclusively that I mean, it was still like until the eighties, like you know, there was visible like battle damage from you know, combat at forty years previously. So that's something to keep in mind. Uh, the uh Ho Chi Minh himself was uh, well actually the melu that Ho Chi Minh came out of. Uh. The Vietnamese were looking for an identity in peculiar ways, and Vietnam is a complex society. It wasn't like North Korean. There's something I don't know if people know the history particularly well, it's strange. But you know Kim Il Sung, you know who, uh who who became Stellin's protege. He was one of the Soviet Koreans. You know, part part of Stalin's uh you know issue with the nationalities was you know, not just you know, genocidal uh programs against people that he considered to be you know, politically unreliable, but also trying to assimulate populations that he considered to be useful, like in the kind of the Soviet sphere of influence in his Soviet life, well, the Koreans and the Soviet Far East he considered to be one of these populations. And Kim Il sung really had no interest or under in or norns of communism. And if you look in North Korea to day, like they you know, it's it's this kind of like prestiche of like nineteen fifty Stalinism and and and kind of cargo cult uh uh in military dictatorship the type of the nineteen eighties or something.
Speaker 1: It's also an hereditary it's a hereditary dictatorship, which yeah, exactly. I think Stalin had told them you can't, you can't do that, and they're like, screw you, You're just gonna.
Speaker 2: Do what we want. Yeah exactly. But it's but people have this like people tend the sentence you like transposed that that those kinds of tendencies to places like Vietnam, which is very very misguided and like among other things. I'm sure some people are gonna claim that this is me being like a chauvinistic white man or whatever. I mean. Obviously I don't care. But I I colonize peoples, they tend to take on their characteristics of their colonizers, okay, and the French are very sophisticated people. Okay. Now I'm not saying that the Vietnamese, otherwise it'd be stupid or something. I've I find the Vs actually be very interesting. That's why this people, I mean included. Vietnam features heavily in my fiction, as people will see when the second book drops. But you know, so Vietnam, like any place, whether it's Algeria or Vietnam or anywhere or Morocco, that was you know, colonized by the French. It was it was not gonna it was not gonna be some backwater like North Korea. Okay, I mean regardless, even if what the German would called the mentioned material was was not particularly I'm trying to be delegate here, it was not particularly capable of human stock okay, but the Vietnamese, you know, they're uh there, there are relatively creative people. And Uh Ho Chiman himself, he was the son of a Confucian scholar, and he was a mysterious guy. His birth year is generally accepted as eighteen ninety, but that's that's never been verified conclusively. A lot of sources, both within Vietnam and without like claim other years. His father, his family like lived in Central Vietnam, which was kind of like a hub of culture as well as political activity, and this endured through like the American War in Vietnam. But it owing to his dad, is going to his father's prestige, you know that just asn't not just as an intellectual, but he was this he was a kind of like he was an imperial magistrate like the Uh after when Vietnam became technically an empire, like after the Japanese deposed like the French in nineteen forty five. This is before the war ended. It was the VC regime and Uh and Uh the thirteenth Emperor of Vietnam who who stepped out who advocated ninety fifty five, but because it may there was an imperial court and Ho Chiman's father. Uh, he was. He was like this. He was like one half like top one half judge kind of and he was demoted because uh for for abuse of power after some influential local hot show was uh what was availed to summary punishment in in Hoe's father's core, and he was sentenced to something crazy like one hundred lashes uh with with a cane, you know.
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Any and the guy died, Okay, So that so o Chimn's dad was. I mean this he was something. I mean, he loomed larger to say the least, and he was he was basically a judge and an intellectual and a confusion and a judge, intellectual and a priest kind of. I mean, Confucianism is kind of confusing of the Western mind, including mine own. But you know, this was not Hochman was not some guy peasant stock like quite the contrary. Ho Chiman did kind of rewrite his biography as communists all kind of did, and I mean, to be fair partisans all do that to some degree. Even Cromwell did that. He claimed. Ho Chiman claimed that he was radicalized in nineteen oh eight when because he was, he was sent to Hoais city to study, okay, and he said he came across this demonstration of these poor peasants who were bound in this kind of peculiar form of serfdom that existed in South East Asia. I can't remember what the French word is for it, but it was it was basically, uh like like think of a think of a serf who's bound in the land and who's not compensated for his labor, but he's like, you know, paying rent on his occupation of the land which he can't leave. This was a big deal in Vietnam especially, and there was this, there was this there was this demonstration that that the Imperial Court cracked down on violently and uh, you know, uh the social justice type of the day, including a lot of Catholics because uh you know obviously you know, Catholic missioners reactive in into China owing to the French regime, but as well as well it's kind of the the socialist International. This was like a big deal and whole claimed like, well, this is when I realized, like I was a communist, Okay, I mean, well that's true or not, who knows. But he was mired in a revolutionary environment owing to the fact, uh owing to his family's downura mobility and no small measure because of the scandal of his father and and this uh, this caning victim who died. Ho realized that he wasn't going to be able to he wasn't gonna be able to get a job, uh, you know, with with with with this with the Imperial court. And he said he refused to uh to try and work uh you know as in the in the colonial administration, because he refused to serve the French. And that's probably true. So what he did do was he applied to work on a French merchant ship when he got from when he when he got to Saigon and UH in nineteen eleven, UH he traveled first to France and then he ended up in Dunkirk. He got back and forth between the UK and Marseille UH for a few years, and then from nineteen thirteen to nineteen nineteen he was in London. It's disputed by some these days, but there's actually a plaque in the New Zealand House in London, you know, which is which houses literally you know, like the New Zealander diplomatic mission that said that like ho Chi men worked here is like some kind of pastry chef. Okay, so I mean he was moving in pretty elite circles. You know. I'llbeit in in a in a kind of in a in a kind of meal role. But I mean he was a young guy, so it wasn't something that would have been seen as improper for a guy his station, and he wouldn't just be viewed as like a kolie, you know, because he was I mean he was even he was very young, Okay, even though he you know, he was a teenager in the early twenties. I mean, even though we don't know his precise birthday, I mean that much, it's clear. In nineteen nineteen he returned to France in part because of a French socialist named Marcel Kasheen. I'm sure we're during that pronunciation as they often do. Excuse me. He was an activist and the Socialist Party of France. What Kasheen essentially convinced Hoe of was he said, look, you know the uh, the Versailles uh, the Versailles Summit, this is our chance to approach the light leaders, you know about freedom for for Indo China, you know, because now they'll be receptive, you know, not owing to any particular uh, you know, interest in our cause, but because uh, you know, something is gonna have to something, something's gonna have to you know, replace the imperial regime, and like even they have to see that, you know. And part of this, part of this was kind of rigid Marxist uh, you know, thinking deterministic, rather thinking like you know this this is you know, like reading the proverbial signs, you know, like like an auger Wood like obviously this is you know, a crucial moment and in the advance of history, you know, we we've got to get the attention to these men because capitalists, though they are, you know, oppressors as they though they are, you know, they're they're nonetheless you know that they're then that they're none the less serving the cause of history as a whole men are you know? I mean this is already clear to people who kind of understand uh, Marxist ontology such that it could be said to exist. Ultimate subsequently claim that what drove Droom to Paris initially was that he'd uh was that he he joined the group of Vietnamese patriots. Uh. That's when it translated to the I again, I can't I can't pronounce the French moniker. But it was this group that coalesced in Paris, Uh. You know, most clear uh uh with the university environs. But they all they did have some power within the syndic within within the cynicalist unions that had and there was a number of Asian workers like who were present on the ground. I mean obviously because you know, the French Empire was always UH was always was always hungry for menial labors, medial laborers from the outer dominions. But this this particular faction, it included UH, basically the guys who became kind of like the core of the Vietnamese nationalist movement, okay, including UH Fanshoo trend Fan Van Trong. These native probably don't mean anything to anybody today, but they they were in the inter warriors and into UH into the French Indo China War. Uh. These guys constituted in early cadre of of a of the political leadership cast resisting UH, resisting French UH control political and military. So I mean these were like heavy, These were heavy people, okay, And I mean undoubtedly Hoe was able to finangle that like owing to his background. You know, I mean he downplayed his privilege and everything like that, but he I mean he was a guy who was I mean again he his father was, Ah was Uh. It was a very esteemed individual as well as owing to Hoe's Confusion education, you know, he would have had to be he would have had to have mastered a colloquial Vietnamese in a way that most people just would not. You know, he developed attitude in French. You know, he knew Chinese letters because you had due to study confusion texts, you know. I mean he was he was very very well situated to take to you know, to to make contact with revolutionary cadres, particularly in UH, particularly in uh In in UH Interwar H France. But UH and Ho Uh and his UH, his comrades, they actually they formally sent their letter to UH to the Allied delegation, you know, Clement sau Woodrow Wilson. They weren't able to obtain any consideration. But what it did do was it I I attribute this the fact that Hoe was very he was comfortable with Westerners, He was familiar with them as well as his his French was was was beyond competent. It was probably not absolutely fluent, but it was far more so than you know, your average your average Oriental at that time that you know you'd run into in Europe. Ho chiet Man became identified as the leader of the anti colonial movement in Vietnam, for better or worse. And we've discussed in the course of our you know, of our discussions, and I made the point myself for Pate and my pod in my lawn form a lot of what role any man becomes insinuated into, regardless of his aptitude or ambition. I'm talking politically, particularly a revolutionary. If people decide that you know you are the leader, well then you are in some real sense, okay, And this uh the Versailles delegation identifying how even though they effectively snubbed him, the fact that they identified him as the leader of the Vietnamese resistance, I'd say that that's what launched his career as a as a professional revolutionary.
Speaker 1: Is there is there any evidence of like who he was re thing, who he was most inspired inspired by.
Speaker 2: That's a good question, I speculate. Despite the fact, and this is gonna seem strange, particularly because most people you know who are familiar with the French left uh, not just younger people, I mean even people mind's a little bit older. They be the French Left as kind of the driving force behind the sixty eight ers, and uh, the kind of break with the Warsaw Pact and uh, you know, the kind of you know, the New Left was literally founded by Foucot et least in In in academ However, in uh, the Inner War yors, particularly at the time of Versailles, the French, the French Communists were very very orthodox Marxist Lentinis. They they very much believed in the common turn. Uh and it's orthodoxy, probably even more so than anybody, probably even more so than the Germans, because there was uh, you know, one of the reasons why the so you know, the seed not the KPD begin the ruling party in East Germany was because the Social Democrats and and the Marcus Leninist could never come to the table. France did not really have that problem. Yes, France was, Uh, I'm gonna say France was a house divided quickly. I mean would be a gross center statement. But the French Communist, for whatever reason, they I owe it to I owe this phenomenon to very strong cadre building. They were very very much united. And uh, I would speculate, and again I would I'd have to deep dive into it, and it would be very hard, I think. I mean, it could be done, but it would take time to kind of tease out real data on what the primary sources were. But whether we're talking about Paul Pott or Ho Chi minh or Japp who uh who o Chi minh Uh had met at Huay when he was a student there, all these guys either owing to the fact that they were in France or you know, owing to the French influence upon their cadre structure, like in Indo, China. They they they'd be reading Marx and Lenin, you know, and they and they they then and they'd be reading you know, they they'd be reading Hegel and they you know, they would have become familiar with the Aristotle and and and and they would have become and and and and Thomas Paine and Lock. But they but they, they like Marx and Lenin would be there, you know, their Bible as it were. But yeah, that's a great question, and that's kind of a fascinating subject, especially like again, you know, like we just mentioned uh, it's uh like like amaging the French left is kind of like the standard bearer of you know, rigid orthodoxy is is kind of hilarious. But I mean that's that's that's that's the way it was. Excuse me, they, uh, this is actually what gives ryans to the myth. I don't know, I don't know how much this is bandied about by court historians these days, because frankly, don't read a lot of court history on uh, on either World War One or on the Cold War, I mean anymore. I mean I do for like, for dedicated purposes, like in my writing and research, you know, like if I say like, okay, well, you know, I like refresh my recollection with what, you know, with what kind of like the mainstream historians of the day, and we're saying about let's say, like the French War in Algeria, you know, and then you know, so not not just for the sake like teeing off on the AD, but just kind of you know, get a sense of what people take for granted in terms of kind of the not not just not just the key events that they identify as as being essential understanding the conflict, but also kind of like you know, what what sort of values are insinuated into the narrative, you know, and and hind and deliberatet hindsight. But when I was uh, like when I'm when I was high school age, if you read like a college textbook or like if you took like, you know, uh an international relations class in your high school, it's say that oh you see, you know, in nineteen nineteen, there was this Wilsonian moment where you know, Ho Chi minh he could have adopted a pro American stance if only Wilson had paid attention to him. But you know, because because you know, these like mean weight men were just like being mean and racist, like this didn't happen. Like I think that that's nonsense for all kinds of reasons. I mean, first of all, it's it's like kind of sending him fucking stupid, but also it really kind of sells people like Ho tiam In short, Ho Hiaman wasn't there to be a koolie and like gravel for you know, token concessions. He uh he he he basically said, he basically penned this document and owen to his uh and on end to the influence of kind of his French patrons who were experienced revolutionaries. They seem to think that Wilson would recognize Wilson and Clements so would recognize they didn't know China was going to be a significant potential battle theater. Okay, there was nothing friendly about this communication, you know. And then this idea that everybody if you if if you give HOCHI meant a coke and a Snickers bar or Hershey, aren't get him on the head, he'll like, you know, give you a buck tooth grin and say I love g I Joe Coca Cola. Like that's way more quote unquote racist than anything in Wilson's mind. This brings us to I realize I'm jumping around a lot, but I as we get into this further, like I think I shall be redeemed because people will understand. And I want to get out of the way now to reference a lot of these things as we get into kind of the hard and fast, uh strategic analysis of the conflict, and I don't want to have to keep jumping back and saying, well, this is what this was. People talk all the time about how Vietnam was like this grave kind of failure of collective security and why do they say that, Well, they said because of Cito Scato, Like what was Cito to Ito is the Southeast Asian Treaty organization. And if you think it sounds a lot like NATO, you'd be right, because that's what that's what, That's what his whole notion was was created by the Southeast Asia Collective Defense Treaty also known as the Manila Pack, that was signed in September nineteen fifty four. And you guessed at Manila, the Philippines. Now who who's the driving force behind CITO? It was a Vice President Nixon who, upon returning from Asia ninety three said, look, we need some kind of collective security arrangement in Asia that you know, tantamount to NATO. There was far more confidential conflict diets in Asia. The strategic landscape was a lot more fluid. But and Nixon realized that. But at the same time he said that, you know, one of the reason it's impossible to h you know, develop a meaningful, uh kind of strategic posture moving forward is because it's uncertain like what any what if anything, you know, anyone's willing to commit and what what they're willing to stand on as you know, essential interests, and uh, this creates a credibility problem. George Kennon also was very much behind this idea, if not CITO itself, he said, there's got to be some kind of collective security structure of a formal nature. Now, I make this point a lot as people for a few reasons. People act like NATO is this magical thing that uh, I mean obviously like anybody who claims NATO actually still exists as a fucking moron. But UH also subsident does exist. It's profoundly destabilizing. But we don't know if NATO was uh, what was effective or not. What we do know is that there was basic credibility behind it, and UH, the Soviet Union considered America, you know, represent a credible threat, you know if uh if uh if the primary conflict DIAD in Europe was triggered, you know, which was obviously the inner German border. But at the same time, UH, America periodically had to meet Soviet efforts to decopple UH. European collective security from American strategic interests was one reason why America maintained intermediate nuclear forces in Europe. That's another question, and well that's a complicated issue. We'll get into that. But my point is that it's not treaties themselves that that that promotes stability. It's the it's it's it's the willingness of the signatories, you know, in order to UH. It's a willingness the signatories. I say it was credibility. They're in Okay, and this should be obvious. Where the signatories two seats though, it was Australia, France, New Zealand, the Philippines, Thailand, the United Kingdom and the USA. Okay, I might add this out of those signatories, Australia, New Zealand cave show up to showed up the fight the Vietnam War. Okay. France had just fought the vietnamn UH for eight years and been defeated. Thailand was definitely a combatant in the Vietnam War. If for no if I mean they this was very much below board in terms of special operations forces were very effective, but Thailand unconditionally availed UH, their their bases and their airspace to do anything that the Allies needed. The UK UH, the the UK just UH. This caused great consternation. Anthony Eden profoundly offended. H U S Department of State of the Era and UH by essentially making it clear UH that that the UK would not commit any kind of collective security arrangements as regards the no China. Why they put pen to paper on the middle of pact, that's another question that's kind of complicated. It ordered the kind of the weasel wards inherent to UH. To diplomats, I think I'm not. I don't know if I'm gonna hatred of of of I don't know if I'm gonna hatred of diplomats in an of themselves. But there is a there's a kind of a lawyer ball they play about, you know, qualifying their willingness to hottern treaty obligations and UH. In the case of the UK UH deciding on with Seito, it had a lot to do with the claims of well, this is this is a quote defensive alliance, I mean, which is meaningless and more in peace. As Carl Smith taughtus, there's another thing as an offensive or defensive war. All wars both offensive and defensive. But that's a bit upside the scope. Any event, it was cedy was headquartered in uh In in Bangkok, Thailand. Incidentally, two and again Dulles, Uh, John Foster Dallas was one hundred percent behind it. Two. In fact, he could be viewed as kind of the primary architect, like I said Nixon. Nixon was was convinced a formal club of security arrangement was necessary, modeled roughly on NATO. Dulles was the one who pushed for CIDO as the answer to that. And it was Dulles who who who uh who was profoundly offended by Eaden's anyone to commit what is interesting? And it goes to U two that like the quote special relationship between the United States and the UK, I mean there were people in the UK who had fake realize the UK lost World War Two, and Eatan's a complicated figure. And a year later in ninety fifty five, like Eden mcame Prime Minister. But that's he's he's one of the more interesting post war uh British executives I think. But yeah, as it may like he he made it clear that the UK was was was was gonna sit out anything that happened in in in Southeast Asia. And it's an interesting question, you know, I mean the obviously neither Eden nor anybody else wasn't kind of augur. But you know, war literally came to the UK's doorstep, uh in Northern Ireland and uh there revisional IRA's efforts were very much perceived as as as part of the anti colonial movement. Okay, I mean, I don't want to I don't want to start some big controversy with people. I'm not sitting here saying that Canadians were a bunch of communists or something like that, Okay, but it point being everything else aside, even if even if, even if it's been some kind of hawkish uh like proto Thatcher type at Downing Street, I don't the situation that actually developed in the UK in the sixties. I don't think they were in a position to be they'll be fighting some general war against against you know, North Vietnam and you know, halfway across the planet. But isn't ans counterfactual? The uh, the background of what the what immediately gave rise Desito From April twenty sixth until July twentieth, nineteen fifty four. Uh, there's a Geneva conference in the Status of Indo China, Like why was this convened? Well, the French uh had you know, had just taken a defeat by the VIETNMM at the end been Fu, uh, which I would say was other than Singapore, you know where the where the Jamons and Pupil army just just like smashed the United Kingdom. That Singapore is the most devastating defeat every levied to a white Westerner by a uh a arising a rising non Western state them ben Fu was the second, okay, Uh. The psychological impact on this was devastating, and the Vietnam showed that they were a marshall race. Okay. They man handled artillery up the mountain side and and bombarded the French positions. You know. The uh, the the Vietnamese of a genuine they've got a genuine aptitude for war. We'll get into that as in the next episode, as we get into the kind of battlefield realities of the war. But that aside the characteristics of the Vats themselves, aside. You know, France, Uh, France was a real military power in those days. Okay too. They weren't slouches, you know, and they weren't uh, they weren't you know, the France nineteen fifty four wasn't the France to today. You know, these this wasn't some half assed army of a of mercenaries or something either. I mean, it was the French Foreign Legion, you know, and these were crack troops, you know, highly motivated, arguably uh arguably the best equipped the army on the planet at that point. You know, it kind of was confortable you know the United States. Uh, it was coin of the year. They it was connerable with the United States was fighting with Korea, you know, after after a mobilization kicked off in earnest, but uh, becase it may uh there's need of a conference. Uh and the statisment of China. Half of it was it was it was purpose. Half of it was purpose to deal with issues resolving from the Korean War, you know, and the UH and then the armistice, and and half was the kind of resolve the French you know, China situation, which is the recipe for as to begin with. Okay, like you don't take that approach the you know, just say yeah, we're gonna, we're gonna we're gonna knock out two birds of one stone with this like great conference and you know, we're just gonna figure out you know, the based the whole status of Asia by you know, putting the right you know, put it put putting, you know, putting the right putting the right paperwork together. I mean, all the things ridiculous. UH. The delegation, the delegations UH represented on the status of Korea. It was the Soviet Union, Peoples of Public in China, North and South Korea, and the U s A and the Indo China side of UH. The of the UH at the conference was France, UH. The Vietnam although a non state actor, you know, they had a formal representation UH, the U s s R, the U s A, the People's Republic in China, the UK and UH, the nascent, the UH, the maybe not maybe the believer I should say, like UH success or government in Vietnam to UH? What UH? What had been the Beshy regime that was deposed by Japan, which says I indicated at the start of this conversation at the start of this talk only had a year to remain. In nine to fifty five, there was the there's a referendum in the emperor stepped down and Bao Dai was the emperor to be replaced by DM. What was the status of Vietnam? And I am a be four. Well, there was two regimes of Vietnam. There's a Democratic Republic of Vietnam led by the Communist Workers Party UH, and the State of Vietnam, again by Emperor Bao Dai. The Democratic Republic of Vietnam was strongest in the north and in the center of the country, but had some followers in the south as well. So basically what you're talking about is you're talking about a country that's uh almost it's a political map of it looks almost like leopard spots at this point. It's okay, and UH the UH, the seat of soerity that's claimed by the emperor is is really a sovereign in name only, Okay. At the time of the French defeat, sixty five thousand documented members the Workers Party lived south of the seventeenth Parallel, which is what became the divider between North and South Vietnam. In the me calling Delta region alone, which is UH in in in northern South Vietnam, so I mean a key strategic piece of real estate, there was thirty thousand party members concentrated. In addition, there was one hundred thousands others in the south whore you know, sympathized with the Vietnam or who were you know, just uh, you know, card carrying communists of varying stripes. In short, the UH, the the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, which whose sole representative was the Communists. They could claim membership throughout the entire country, okay, the the formal state of Vietnam led by the emperor. Part of the problem with this was UH was part of the problem with characteristic of those resisting the communists UH movement globally, you're looking at a house divided. You know, the war had World War two, had had destroyed the right for all time, there was no there was no real political right anymore. Okay, there's reactionary elements, you know who backs people like Emperor Bao Dai. You know, in various monarchists. You know, there was people who didn't really have a political consciousness, but they you know, they they were hostile to Communists for self interested reasons. You know, there wasn't there wasn't theresign really corralling these people. You know, like, you can't build a movement, particularly when you're facing off against dedicated cadres. You can't just build. You can't just build a political You can't just you can't build a political army based on opposition to something, you know what I mean? That was that more Nowhere is that more evident than Vietnam. And I think that I can't really be overstated because the the Vietnamese who resisted the Communists really do get kind of a bum rap. You know, they're either they're rather casts as cowards or or just you know, uh, you know, these kind of these kind of third world uh kleptomaniacs or or just uh, you know, pitiable kind of uh Lackey's and Koli's Like that's not the case at all. I mean, they were a mixed bag, but there were they they had disadvantages from Jump and the people who should have been looking out for their interests most aggressively we're not doing so I think on on the military side, I think I think they were the uh there was uh, there's plenty of American commanders in South Korea. South Korea really came to fight in the Vietnam War. They deployed there their forces around fifty thousand men for countries as a Korea, it's a major deployment. But on the military side, you had some very game, uh commanders who very much wanted, you know, to give the the South enemies what they needed to win and uh and and led these guys into combat very briefly. And these guys performed well with with honor. But uh, on the political side, you know, it's like what what's what? What what do you have in South? What do you have and what became South Vietnam. It's like, okay, you got you got a cadre of like kind of upper league mobile or Kodrie kind of like upper lya mobile Catholic types, which the French were still here. You know, you got you you got, you got guys are basically small business man who don't like the Communis to take their stuff. You know. Uh, you got the Buddhists. We're kind of like put upon by everybody. You know. You got various minorities like a montag Yard Zone Sundry who you know, realize their numbers up if the Communists win. But I mean there's I know, it probably sounds like I'm somebody who's like totally fixated. I'm owing to you know kind of the the central emphasis of my research being Nuremberg and and kind of the political theoretical trajectory of things. Subsequent but imarious problems in the Cold War really can be chalked up with the fact that, you know, it's like, well, you know, if you're waging waging a war of excrimination against the political right, like it's not that that doesn't you're you're not living all hubble lot when you're trying to draw up on your own cadres to defeat the communists. And in Vietnam. Uh, that's a topic that's not particularly emphasized, but I uh, I think it's more important than in some theaters like legit.
Speaker 3: I I it uh.
Speaker 2: And as we'll get into like later in the series, America learned this lesson in part by the final phase of the Cold War, and that's one of the reasons why the the that the conference are so effective in places like Nicaragua, where honestly, the the Santin Eastern regime, the story has probably invested more in that regime than any other sense. Uh tens the Vietnam era. I mean, it's as a client regime outside their media scare of influence. I mean, but.
Speaker 3: In any event, uh, the the the uh.
Speaker 2: There's ne EVA conference basically all all it. All it did was formed wise. It it formalized the division that was already burgening. You know even in the even before the French had been it had been defeated at them Benfu. But what it did was it created this kind of arbitrary dividing line to create kind of the fiction that you know, there was there was two sovereign states here that were at war and like that was never that was never the case. I mean, the Vietnam War was a civil war. I mean it's not me. There's not me having sympathy for the devil or or or you know, trying to simplify the political strategic situation. A civil wars. One seems to be a civil war because great powers, you know, converge, uh and and and and draw like an imaginary line on the center of the country. That's quite literally what happened. The fact, uh, the fact that you had you know, we'll get into this too. You know, North Vietnam was a crack army. It was an incredibly game for US as well as like a truly conventional army. This idea that Vietnam is just kind of like weird guerrilla war, like that's bullshit. Yeah, there's aspects of asymmetrical war, particularly in the Mekong Delta and particularly early on. Make no mistake, the reason why Vietnam was so bloody and so brutal is because it was a conventional war where firepower carried the day. The North Vietnamese UH the only way that uh, the only way that they could accomplish their political objectives was through a conventional military victory. And they knew that. This is one of the reasons why America deployed so heavily. The way that they did was that misguided uh not in and of itself. But we're gonna get into why that didn't produce the results that it had to. But this is a This is also another example of how this you know, whether or not we accept the kind of whether or not we accept the quote democracy is utilized at present and even during the Cold War when it actually had, you know, some kind of identifiable meaning, even if it was only like contra marcist Leninism. I returned to kind of the Schmidtian notion that it doesn't do you any good at war to have this kind of ongoing discussion in policy terms, because even if people are doing some in good faith, which they never are, because this becomes another means of exploiting divisions within the electorate for some sort of competitive advantage. But even if that were not the case, you know that you don't you don't endlessly debate military questions as if they're you know, ordinary policy matters. And the fact that that's what a general war became led to some really perverse outcomes, both on the battlefield and in terms of what came to be considered a success in political terms. And I think Vietnam was a rare situation where the political and the military was questions were basically synonymous, and Depentagon on some level recognize that, but the way they preceded in actual policy terms, whereas if these were two discreet things that had success metrics independent of one another, if that makes any sense other than the more more of what I mean in the next episode when some concrete examples emerged as to how this phenomenon played out. But ultimately, and I'm gonna wrap this up in a minute, what need of a court led to was this fiction of two Vietnams, okay, and it created a pathway, or at least a roadmap to uh unification that was supposed to obviate any potential crisis of authority, but it UH, it was contingent upon it. It was, it was, it was, It was contingent upon in plain language, you know, both purported sovereign governments advocating any use of ourn force in order to affect a political outcome and dominate UH the future state by way of a single party regime. And obviously, you know, the Hanoi government always claimed that the Vietcong or the National Liberation Front was was was independent of of of their authority. It was the spontaneous up art. There was some shoot to that, but obviously Hanoi cadres were operationally insinuated into the NLF. The Saygi regime always maintained that, you know, the NLF was nothing but UH a direct client of Hanoi, and that so long as it existed, it constituted a terrorist threat to the UH, to the universe, to the unification process, and so none of the terms that Geneva agreement had to be honored. So I mean that this this outcome was entirely predictable, okay, I mean, there's there's basically no way that there's basically no way that any other, any other outcome would have been emerging. But that's that's why the kind of political UH foundation was so murky and and kind of unworkable, you know it. And I also got to show you that, you know, make this point a lot there's I generally don't engage people because it's it's just like bad fait the bullshit. But people don't know what they're talking talking about, like those who look, you know, they love the baby about colonialism and how bid this was. It's like, okay, so you really what I just described here, Like you really think that's superior to having like the French administering Vietnam like I I mean, like in what way, shape or form? You know? And you could say that, well, that was just another example of you know, white Westerns imposing this paradigm like it really wasn't man. I mean, the reason why it was so dysfunctional in Fubar is because you did have that. You did have Beijing like having their say, you did Moscow having their say, and obviously you know, in having their say, they were deliberately sabotaging their proceedings and creating conditions we're in, you know, UH A cadre based movement, could you know, effectively sabotage any government that immerged in the South. But you can't. You can't. You can't just you can't just shut down a conversation by saying, oh, that's just like something the white man imposed, I didn't know China, you know. So it's everybody's always people act like this kind of you know, people act like the nineteenth century regime that endured really till nineteen nineteen ninety twenty, you know, like you know, Britain, France, Germany, you know, dividing up the world. Uh, in these in these key theaters, Like was this like a bold situation? It's like, well, what's your alternative? They're like they never they never have one. You know. It's like this idea like the world's kind of exists in sits you and like it's it's like a place of plenty in peace, but then people screwed up just but like imposing politics upon it. It's like I think ontologically, like I think people, it's like don't like a lot of people and people are particularly dumb. They just like can't grasp like the ontological reality of politics. I mean, I don't know, but at any event, let's uh, let's let's wrap up for now because uh uh I want to shift gears with what we get to do next. And I realized this might have been a little bit dry, But again, like I said, I'm gonna reference all this stuff when we get into the the uh you know, discussing the battlefield situation and uh and and kind of the political uh maneuverings of mister Kennedy and mister Jonas and mister Nixon, so it becomes important. But yeah, I I hope, uh, I hope this didn't bore people at death. I hope they got something out of it relating to the topic.
Speaker 1: So just run through or anything you want to promote, and we'll go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, indeed, I mean, good things are happening. We uh you know, like I said, within the next week or so, we're launching the YouTube channel at one last, steel Storm two is dropping this month. To be on the lookout for that. I've got some big stuff happening on the podcast. But I'm gonna announce that formally on uh on the next pod episode, which you're gonna become more frequent. But you'll you'll uh, I don't want to I want to get into that like on the pod. But yeah, that's all I got. You can find me on Twitter at Triskelly and Jahad the he is A seven. Find me at Substack Real Thomas seven seven seven dot substack dot com.
Speaker 1: Thomas, I appreciate it. Until the next time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, likewise, thank you people.
Speaker 1: This is part seven of the Cold War series. Thomas seven seven seven.
Speaker 2: How are you doing, everybody? I'm okay man today. The issue with the Vietnam conflict, as we kind of got into last episode, it's not just that the the sort of controversy around it that endures to this day, you know, in terms of ethics and in terms of policy critiques. I mean, something has contrived. Some of it's not. But even if we take people's sort of values and partisan ideas are the equation entirely, the Vietnam conflict straddled, for lack of a better way to characterize it or describe it, in multiple epochs, in in in terms of political and military affairs, you know, as Vietnam jumped off and earned it says, we'll get into what which was very much during the Kennedy administration. I know some people have this sort of like, uh, you know, this this uh, this revisionist notion that O. Kennedy was trying to disengage from Vietnam. That's not true at all. But even if regardless of that, the uh uh, a paradigm shift in military affairs was underway from the post new look Eisenhower era, you know, uh, which was kind of bookended by the Cuba crisis, which you know put an end to that kind of thinking, you know, and and from that kind of like the first phase of the American War, you know, like sixty two to sixty five, I guess you could say represented you know, that is sort of a gray area between you know, sort of policy orientations the uh, the kind of revolutionary period in the Third World where like you know, the Color Revolt, if you want to look at it, like that was an underway, full swing. You know what the what what remained of the Western Powers were still engaged, you know, uh, Spain, Portugal, France who just you know been issued to crushing defeat at the end ben Fu. You know, they were trying to they were trying to find a way to you know, utilize firepower and the technological ads that they enjoyed, you know, in order to in order to advantage them and in counterinsurgency warfare. Vietnam ended in the nineteen seventies as the era of true strategic parody. It was emerging from the United States and the Soviet Union and major powers were disengaging from the Third World in direct capacities like owing not just the fact that you know, independence was causing more and more conflict diets to emerge where escalation could have brought the superpowers into direct collision, like in nineteen seventy three in the Middle East, but also it's because you know, there's a certain weariness for you know, this kind of constant engagement and act in combat and in multiple in multiple featers. So Vietnam is important for all those kinds of reasons, but also just uh it there's because of all those things that just describe and kind of the you know, the historical situatedness of the conflict in like temporally, I mean, there was there's a lot of data to be derived from it about about warfare. You know, when the roamies the road in terms of combat and things and technology and how these things impact impact the modern battlefield. But also you can extravlate things about the American system and how particularly uh, particularly wartime administrations. Uh, the politics uh is very much insinuated into the decision making process. I don't mean high politics, although that is the case too. I mean these kind of like domestic intrigues still over into the decision making process as regards you know, war and peace decisions. And that's very bad. And obviously this this gained a lot of momentum, you know, during the kind of meat you know, uh, the rise of of of the you know, the modern or contemporary not modern contemporary like news cycle, which really began in the sixties and seventies, you know, like reacing its zenith, you know in like nineteen ninety nineteen ninety one where he had the true twenty var news cycle and the Gulf War on TV. I mean, now obviously that's done. I mean there's certain like like media is ubiquitous, like in a way never it's never met before. But there's not as bully pulpit of like the news media, you know, the terrestrial news media that's what everybody watches and that controls you know, narratives and the parameters of discourse. Like That's what I was talking about. But to dive into the topic. There there's nobody who's more associated with Vietnam than and Robert Man, okay, and Errol Morris, who I'm a great I've got great scheme for I mean, this was weird nevish type, but he he makes great films. You know, he did a documentary on Fred Later you know who authored the report. He did a documentary on on Donald Rumsfeld, you know, in his I mean not to go too far afield from our topic, but Errol Morris really pioneered the documentary style of filmmaking in a way that's become convention, and him letting his subject and his you know, obviously his primary uh, his primary efforts are biographical of historical personages or of people are just interested in, like in the case of Laketer, but putting the camera on the subject and letting the subject just testify, and Morris asking his questions off camera or the or the you know, the filmmaker or the interviewer asking off camera like Morris and vented that style. But he I highly recommend anybody The Fog of War. I think it was released in two thousand and three. That's a pretty good kind of capsule summary of McNamara's career from you know, it's the testimony of McNamara himself. But because it's only like a two and a half hour film, obviously a lot of things are left out. But I highly recommend that to anybody who wants to learn more about macnamara. So let's talk about the man himself, Robert S. McNamara the S stance for strange. His middle name was Strange, Robert Strange McNamara. He was the longest serving Secretary of Defense to this day, from nineteen sixty one to sixty eight. Nowadays, even administrations that have a comparatively strong mandate, you know, they played musical chairs with their cabinet postings. But even even uh, even in McNamara's epoch, it was unheard of for a Secretary of Defense to serve that long. Okay, like, why did he serve this long? Well? Mat the Mari team from Humble oura Jins. He was born in San Francisco in nineteen sixteen. His father was the sales manager of some kind of wholesale firm that literally made shoes and other things like this, okay, like shoes and boots for you know, like nurses and factory workers, So I mean like part of the upper kind of like the lower middle class, upper working class. He proved himself to be a prodigy of swords with mathematics what we consider to be logistics and data management, well, I mean logitics. Is this in those days we consided to be like data management today. He graduated ninety thirty seven from Berkeley, went out of the Harvard Business School in ninth and graduate ninety thirty nine. Obviously, right around this time, you know, the New Dealers War was was jumping off. It was only about you know, two years away. And when Magnamar found himself in uniform, he ended up in the Army Air Corps. And guys of his kind of caliber and intellect tended to be shuttled that way for obvious reasons. And he uh he entered the army as a captain in forty three. He served under Curtis Lamy, who then was a colonel with macnamarin La May. And it's interesting because macdernala May and and and McNamara gets into this in the in the Fog of War documentary, Like mcnamver is probably the closest thing Lea May had like a friend, but like mac namers, you know, and he's like, I, I I don't. I felt like I didn't really know the man very well, you know, at all. And then it's like when when Lamy died, apparently May's widow, kind of mac namaran is like, yeah, Curtis said, you know, he loved you. He said all these great things about you, and mc namurrs like, really, like I idly heard the guys say more than one word, but any of it. Matthamas as a young officer kind of a defecto adjutant to le May. He he kind of demonstrated his chops for uh, for military logistics and just kind of you know, applied applied analysis of of of of you know, the mission at hand and in terms of like getting results within the you know, rationale of what of of what armyra coor was charged within the Pacific. Le May and mag the mirror. They came up with a way to assault the Japanese mainland from the Marianas Islands instead of having to you know, jumped the Himalayas it has been his had been done. And this o the things I don't quite understand, like you know, fuel consumption versus load, you know, versus you know, travel within or rebolvable, the jet stream and all these kinds of things. You know, the complex the complex calculus of the then nascent science of uh military aviation. Okay, so the magna mirror. The guy really was a polymath. Okay, I mean he and he demonstrated that really by the time he was about thirty years old. Well, my man, I got discharged. He ended up at the Ford Motor Company in nineteen forty six. And uh, the Ford Motor Company. It seems strange these days it was like a college reason't really meaning thing. But in those days when it was a rare credential and when uh, unless you were one of these kind of rich boys went to Yale or something, if you went to college on merit, it's because you were a guy who really really knew his stuff. There was very view there's there's there's a dearth of of of managers and an executive officers at Ford Motor Company were college educated. So guys like mcnamurr was in demand. He got recruited dinner in the as a manager of planning and financial analysis. He he he advanced rapidly by nineteen sixty when he was in his early when yeah, it was in his late Yeah, it was nearly forties, been like forty three forty four. Uh, he became the first president of Ford Motor Company outside the Ford family, Okay, which was a huge deal. And this was November ninth, which is a date that I think we're all familiar with, and if you were not before, I hope that after watching stuff that Pete nos I do, you're familiar with it now. November nineth nineties sixty was when he became first president of Ford. This was one day after after JFK was elected. And uh, during his uh, during his tenure at Ford, both as what we now consider a quant and like a corporate accountant, and during his brief tenure as president, he's credited with basically like making Ford competitive in the post war period, like after like the government pork like went away obviously, and this in the nineteen fifties and early sixties, like a huge amount of American automakers like just cease towigs. It's okay, I mean the all these kind of a kind of brand. Some of them endured like ame c endured to like the seventies or eighties, but like there's a huge number of of automotive brands that went under during the nineteen fifties. It was I mean that, uh, I means one part, one part market corrective, one part that just you know, just the scaling back of of the subsidies they'd enjoyed, you know, during the kind of staladays of the new deal for big manufacturing firms. But in any event, JFK. Whatever we can say about him, and I don't want to. I don't want to get into a discussion on the man's merit or character or that of his politics. One thing I said disputable is that uh, he he with the exception of of of the kind of naked nepotism in the case of his brother. But I consider that to be more of a matter of self preservation, you know, with installing him and as the Attorney general, with the exception to that. Kennedy or and ors advisors, they had a remarkable eye for cabinet talent, and Kennedy's uh Kennedy's first choice for Secretary of Defense was Robert A. Love It, who'd been the secondary defense under Truman. Interestingly from fifty one to fifty three, height of the Korean War, so obviously Kennedy was looking at it for a man who had served as a wartime Secretary of Defense, Okay, which indicates the kind of hard realism pre Cuba that Kennedy's not conventionally credited with. But that I think it's clear if people know how to read between the lines. But the reason why he broke love at first is because he didn't. He nobody thought that man Kimura would leave for a mortar company. So it's like it wasn't even it wasn't even like consideration, not on grounds his mirror or anything. It's just that, you know, the guy with a freaking all star and love it also have been appropiated. George Marshall and I. I don't think the Marshall Plan was this great power coup. I don't think it accomplished much of anything other than other than putting some shine on the occupation regime, which really which needed to be rehabilitated, UH in order to get the Boomist Republic to play ball the way the Truman and Hour and the Truman and later I administrations needed it to. But that's another story. George Marshall heed trumant his clout in those days, and UH A lot aside in the fact again that he you know, he uh he cut his teeth as a wartime defense secretary public the fact that prior to that he serves Marshall's Undersecretary of Defense, and he was very much a protegy of the guy. But uh a lot of declined. He's like, you know, out of raw fatigue, I think. But also he said, you know, I you uh, you should, you should you should poach magnam Era because he'll probably take it. And uh, Kennedy went through started shreiver uh and offered him the Secretary of Defense position or the Secretary of the Treasury. Magnumer immediately accepted the appointment of Secretary of Defense. Was Magma knowledgeable about defense matter as well? I mean, I mean compared to compared to anybody since uh Cheney. Let me qualify that. I mean, I hope people think not not in proud of that Cheney's a total piece of shit. When Chaney was Secretary of Defense under Bush forty three, I think he very much had a sense of what needed to be done in the transition era from the UH from the from the as the Cold Wars literally ending, Okay, And I only invoked him because regardless of the guy's character, which I think we're gonna agree is not something laudable, and whatever other issues he has, he was a highly qualified Secretary of Defense. No, we did not come up through the military, but he was something of a polymath, and he understood military matters as we are as policy or the roomies the road in a really splendid way. Subsequently, I think the Secretary Defense these days is something is is kind of uh, it's almost like it's almost like kremlinology. You gotta look through the kind of a pig. There's always like sinecures that don't mean anything anymore, and people's titles don't actually indicate what their roles in fact are, like I think I think Robert Gates was the de facto like shadow foreign policy president. I also think that Secretary Defense has become Secretary of State in a real way, which is very strange. But in the Kennedy era, these cabinet positions carried a lot more weight and uh, there's a lot more transparency in terms of the man who said who held the office was very much the decision maker, with some mirrow exceptions. You know, uh, there when you have an executive. It was as much of a who was as much of a hands on the sort of authoritarian his FDR. Yeah, they're very much for some people are ciphers and key roles, because he simply didn't want them to do anything. But exempting that, you know, you, uh, if you've got a pointed Secretary of Defense, you were a pretty heavy hitter. And magnaver was one of the fourth Secretary of Defense because until you know, the until Nuremberg was Secretary of War was the cabinet posting. But that's that's uh, there's a lot to unpack there, frankly, but that's that's outside our scope. But in any event, mcmaarr was kind of a perfect choice for this arrow, okay, because uh, the technology and I mean this was this was the dawn of the information age, Okay, like computing as we know it was very much just kind of beginning then, and it begun during the Second World War, but in an applied capacity it was emergent. Uh, macnamara understood logistics better than anybody. He understood highly scaled systems and management of those systems and how do I identify variables and the bouted rationality of the system in question and what it was purposed for. You can identify like what was most essential to production. And that's an odd skill set. That's kind of like what management comes down to in the burn up sense of managerialism. I mean when I say management, I don't mean some dick who like manages a home depot, and I don't mean like the way you eat like fatty char ladies talking about management. I mean in terms of you know, actual actually knowing how to knowing how to optimize the performance of of a both the human element and the autonomous element within some highly scaled structure, you know, with all kinds of variables, some which are more essential than others, you know, but the core ones that facilitate productivity and the most concrete ways you know, need be identified by most people can't do that, and particularly in un member his day. Yeah, as it just indicated, you know, this was like the dawn of the information age, and you know technology there's there's gonna punctuated equal every of the technology and then we can all agree on that. You know. Uh, it's like once there's there'll be one innovation and then you know that that that that leads to others. You know, in a very kind of in a very kind of in a very kind of rampid capacity. This was under this what was underway, But you didn't have at your disposal like all this kind of you know, you didn't. You didn't have consumer tech that we take for granted and big business in those days. You know, like you didn't you you you're basically like using like a pen and paper an antarchist like proverbially and sometimes literally, you know, to handle like massive realms of data. So, uh, the kind of like the right man in the role and the aromastos men not for conspiratorial reasons but rand their pological ones. You know that it was this was this was more essential then than even today, although it's still like remains essential. But Macnamer's philosophy, in his own words, was uh. He said, the senator defense in the then current era had to take an quote active role. He said, uh, you know, he aimed to provide aggressive leadership, questioning, suggesting alternatives, proposing objectives, and stimulating progress, just as he had done at Ford Motor Company. That might sound corny on its face or like corporate pr like magnamr Is the Concert company man, but in his case, I think he really believed that, and honestly, I think in a lot of respects that's like what he accomplished. He rejected radical organizational changes. Look, I just indicated there was there's a lot of people, uh, both within the military establishment and also within the policy establishment. And this was very incestuous in some case is too, but on Capitol Hill there's all kinds of people who are trying to force uh, you know, these kind of top down changes to the military apparatus. You know the command structure, you know the way forces it being were organized, you know, uh at at that division level, and you know, uh, and and what weapons systems we're gonna get privileged over others? There even there was really is that there was a there was there was debate about the draft and its future. Okay, uh this Uh there was a committee I cannot remember the name of it, and I'm sorry, headed by a senator, uh Stewart Synington. He wanted to his committee with him leading the charge. They wanted to abolish the discrete military departments. They wanted to replace the joint chief the single chief of staff and you know not and and and and give him dominion over they wanted to like an inner service command structure. Okay, you know, you abolish discrete ranks between the services. You have like this unitary command structure that went to this one man who in turned of accountable only to the president and his national security cabin which, in my opinion is a terrible idea, but like this this was kind of thing among other stuff that was being taken seriously then, you know, and mat the mirror as soon as he took office, He's like, no, that that ship's over with, you know, like, shut the fuck up. That's not happening. You know, we're not well, we maybe will be you know, we we maybe will be fighting World War three at you know, in a few years, we're probably gonna be at war, you know, in in a secondary theater, you know, within months. We're not when we're not gonna completely upset the We're not gonna cpletely upset the wagon and uh for the apple cart, you know, and and start playing games with you know, with with force structure organization. And that was and that and that actually that that was that that that was huge, okay, because things would have I Simington's idea was particularly stupid, I think, but there's all kinds there was all kinds of stuff being bandied about that wouldn't really that wouldn't really kind of upset the ability of h of the entire defense establishment to react. And really from from after the Cuba crisis, I mean in seventy three and then an eighty three, I mean, yeah, there was there was the punctity crisis of a strategic nature and that were truly critical, but about every two years, like in between, like you there were there was some kind of like what you can think of as like brush fire uh uh, crisis of a secondary in a secondary theater that that nonetheless, you know, like required an active response. And this ultimately, this is one of the things that led to like the creation a special Operations Command, but that that stuff had the scope too, you know, like a unitary command or special operations forces. Unfortunately, a lot of disasters happened for that to become uh implemented. But that's kind of always the way it is, not just with the military. But uh, what was Kennedy's polity policy envision If you want to understand Vietnam's escalation, I don't just mean the punctioning of escalation. That was yielded or exploited, depending on your perspective, by the Gulf of Tonkin resolution Vietnam. True engagement with Vietnam went began with Eisenhower, Okay, in a real capacity. And when when when Kennedy took the oath of office, there was there was special Operations forces types on the ground who were directly engaged with the communists. Okay. So I mean it's this this idea that you know, this idea that you know, like I said before we went live, Oh, Kennedy was trying to disengage from Sally Stasia. But then you know, Johnson, this this this bad guy, you know, just engage us, engage them. Is the country at war? Said he could you know, make money by you know, bell helicopters, selling selling stuff to the Pentagon or whatever the fuck? Alverst Stone and Howard is in claim that did not happen. Kennedy UH in his UH, in his UH speech to Congress in March twenty eighth, the UH, the core emphasis of the speech was defense. It was Cold war, it was UH, it was war in peace, it was power pilotic stuff. In part because you know, Nickson was always not just kind of on a campaign trail. I mean, Dixon was not just always trying to portray Kennedy as some as some punk rich kid who was went by in the years he was He's basically he basically was always calling him a pussy, you know, and saying like he's soft on communism. You know, he's a rich kid. He he doesn't he does not have the presence to command, nor does he have like the knowledge, you know, which is not wrong, because Kennedy was a lot of things, but he was like stay in the Kennedy's he was a gangster's son, and he was a war hero when he started in the brown Water. Like the dude was kind of a bit you know, like yeah, like yeah, he wasn't like a big pussy or whatever. I mean, yeah, but the but I mean politics is politics and being what it is. That's you know, and I mean it wasn't just Nix and other people too. They you know, Kennedy, he he had kind of like a boyish charm like our phony might think that is like he did not you know, he didn't come off as uh this like a heavy personage and especially succeeding Eisenhower like this, like the Soviets were genuinely afraid of Eisenhower, and uh, I think for good reason. Like I'm not, I don't think eys I was this rare genius like some people do. And uh, I think in some ways he was an ugly eye in terms of his character. But he uh, he was a ruthless so ob, you know, and he he definitely had a kind of command presence. I mean that goes without saying. But okay, the out line to to uh the March twenty eight, ninety sixty one speech when he outlined, as he said, look, massive retaliation is a doctrin and he's like, that's over. Okay. It's like, so is the new look as it's been you know, as it was uh euphemistically assigned. You know, He's like, we're not we're not gonna rely on on first un splendid first strike capability, nor are we just gonna rely on the nuclear deterrent, you know in low A conventional forces, like it's not realistic, it's totally flexible and and frankly it's uh and frankly it's it's it's totally it's it's it's it's it's morally bankrupt. You know, you don't you don't you don't keep the peace by threatening that several states of the world look like massive like genocidal counter value with Saul, you know, like as a standing policy, but it uh, I mean it being someone for but there really was like there, like the kind of MIDEU that Herman Khan came out of. And I think Herman Khan was great, and I'm not putting shit in him at all, but either the MIDEU of Khan and Van Neuman, like there were guys like like genuinely autistic guys, uh who'd uh you know, come up through uh academia and and game theory and stuff. Who who were suggesting things that you know, made sense in terms of you know, the the raw variables of of balance of forces and capabilities or were just like where just like grossly moral offensive, morally offensive in terms of like uh, in terms of policy orientation, but I mean like doctor Strange Love Like yeah, it's like it seems like over the top ridiculous, like something that piecedic movie, but it was like ranging on like a real phenomon, you know, like uh, which is which is kind of funny but also kind of fucked up. But uh, the he Kennedy also, to his credit, and this wasn't realized until Carter and a presidential director of fifty eight and fifty nine. And obviously the technology at that point it made it far more critical for human decision makers to assert control over nuclear arms and commanding control. But things were already moving in that direction whereby not only were we we're we're human decision makers being sidelined, but the military and specifically Strategic Air Command was very much taking control of these processes. And Kennedy, you know, said that Scott to stop, you know, and and mag and Urra was exactly the man to kind of see to that, you know, in terms of structuring forces and protocol strategic forces, I mean to uh, to obviate the threat of of civilian control and the commander in chief role being appropriated by by a military element. He manter I believed it more to obviate that than anybody until Carter. And as we get into the Carter era, we're gonna talk about like all that cool stuff. I think it's cool fancied by the late Cold War and the kind of strategic nuclear paradigm and and artificial intelligence there in some people will probably think that's boring as fuck, but I think it's really cool. But in any event, what's key, uh about Kennedy's policy speech on defense was uh, he said, quote, we need to operate with an eye to to quote prevent the steady erosion of the free world through limited wars. Now, this is the crux of why America went to war in Vietnam. Okay. The way you gotta look at the Cold War is that obviously there's the ongoing strategic nuclear threat of you know, a total war between WARSAW picked and NATO, which would be catastrophic. I mean that goes out saying, but the real issue on as a basic stability ensued between the superpowers, it could be imagined and the team b the you know, the the TV exercise and the men who uh, the men who organized and facilitated it and who were instrumentally getting regular elected. Frankly, the scenario these guys painted was like, look, imagine in America where essentially all of Asia save South Korea and Japan, all of Latin America, say, Mexico, all of Africa save like a handful of the Arab states who are nonetheless like Soviet aligned, you know, goes Communists or becomes basically sympathetic to the communist perspective and is either staked out, you know, a position of absolute which in the Cold War, or as a veil itself as a Soviet proxy. Like, yeah, America would survive in those circumstances, but it basically be as a garrison state that was kind of second rate power within the Western hemisphere, you know, surrounded by a hostile Like that's a very that that's a very dangerous world to live in. And a lot of the things we could even if even if some kind of perennial piece could be achieved, a lot of the things we take for granted, we just would not exist, you know. Uh that would it kind of frozen American tech and American wealth at a certain point because just by virtual of dominating the rest of the planet, you know, like the Soviet Union could have kind of like remade the world in its own image, kind of like how America like remade the world in its own image after nineteen eighty nine, which is not a good thing. But my point being, like people act like the Cold War was this kind of like ridiculous paranoid fantasy, or that it was like this excuse to like so munitions and helllicopters you know, by defense contractors, like it was in fact the real thing, and this was this was the potential outcome. Really until until Gorbachev and until the Stowe's folded their flag. It wasn't this binary thing like either you know, total war or peace or you know, ah, this communism doesn't work. Yeah, it doesn't work, but it doesn't matter all because of the ship doesn't work that you know. Nevertheless, like indoors or shuffles on like like some like like some fucking Frankenstein's monster or something like that. That was a very real possibility. And Kennedy's uh, what he was saying here is look, if we ignore, if if we ignore theaters like you know, China, if we ignore theaters it's up there in Africa. If we ignore especially you know, uh, developments in their own backyard. I mean, that's two folds on the road doctrine. But that aside a minute. You know, it's like we're gonna die like at death by a thousand cuts. That's regards our ability to you know, influence the course of politics and the rest of his planet. You know, and you do you really want to be like a garrison state, albeit a continent side garrison states as large as all deficient, self sufficient, But you do you really want to be like like the American island in like the Red World. I mean that that was that was not only poignant, but he was very realistic. And I give Kennedy aught of props for that for that speech. Like I said, I'm reading wind the lions as he intended, Gogress read wind the lines. But that's that's I'm not a Kennedy fan or apologist at all. But not only does that go ahead, I'm.
Speaker 1: Sorry, let me ask, Okay, he said that the Cold War was a very real thing. Is that because of was it?
Speaker 2: Was?
Speaker 1: It a continuing ideological war between the the neo conservatives and who started them and the Soviet Union that whole time.
Speaker 2: Well, there's wars within that, there's wars within that camp. I mean, do you want to know what I think? I agree with the Yaki's perspective that the Doctor's plots like that epoch, not that incident itself, but that incident was demonstrative like a break within the communist camp, like if the leadership cast Okay, and that's also one of the reasons why, like Israel up and just became like massively anti communists, like all of a sudden. Okay, so yeah there was that. The Soviet Union became this kind of strange thing, like, yeah, it was. It was. It clung to revolutionary socialism till the end of its life. But like was it a Marxist Leninist state, Like as much as such things existed, it was. But uh, you know what the Soviet Union really had going for it was the kind of Soviet DDR model that was really appealing in the people in the Third World. You know, like uh, Olive from North when he was under cover like doing verty shady things. When he landed the Monagua airport, he relaid back under like like State Department cover roof. He liked their teleux or whatever. He's like, a Managua airport it's a mirror. It's He's like it's a mirror image of a checkpoint Charlie in the inner German border. You know, He's like these a bunch of nicarag was running around acting like they're the Stazi. You know. He's like this is and I mean that spoke for itself. So even when even when Stalinism, even when the even when the even when the war's up pack kind of like even after sixty eight, and I mean even before like putting six days on the formal breach, you know, with the new Left, even when like nobody in France, nobody in the Netherlands, like even comedies, I mean like looked like the Soviet Union for inspiration, like you better believe that, like hundreds of millions of people in Africa and Latin America, you know, in Indonesia, like they did, you know, like that's they looked at that as like wow, this this is a great model of progress. And you know where we we don't need to suffer, you know, the we don't need to suffer the pain of exploitation to reach you know, uh, the bounty of of of technive technology and and plenty and modern productive, productive techniques. You know, all we have to do is sign on with the Soviet block and we'll get all those things. And plus like you know, they're gonna they're gonna lead us, They're gonna lead us to this tilleric utopia because eventually we're gonna fight America. I mean like that, and yeah, within that, like the godfathers and neo conservitism, like they became like on that target list ironically, Like that's why I like communists like a Frankenstein monster. Like a lot of people who are like called which is the meaning was term, but a lot of people are called like anti Semitic people are like, oh, how can you say that? You know, Communism was you know, emerged from the Jewish world of social existence. The Soviet Union hated Jews. It's like, well, there's such a thing as like, you know, there's such a thing as you know, a bale of prague. Okay, like you create something and it gets out of control or it turns on you. But it's also too like ideologies aren't any like one thing. It's like you can't say like communism was Jewish or just not Jewish or that. You know, the coalition that created it in Russia, you know, consisted of like X Y Z kind of people and nobody else. The Soviet it was a weird coalition of like indigenous Slavs, uh, you know who who hated the European overcast, you know, Uh, they were aligned with a slightly more cosmopolitan element, you know of of Ashkenazi Jews who hated that same overcast for different reasons. And these people don't really like each other, but they had common enemies and common interests. And when that fell apart in in large measure because uh, the situation of the Jewish people are internationally totally changed after Nuremberg again for the Delphin Declaration. Yeah, they stop keeping up appearances at all. And yeah, I agree with YACKI basically that if you were on the right after a after about ninety fifty three fifty four forty five, they were running around like a John Bircher like calling for the death of Ivan, you were, you were a fucking idiot, I mean basically because it Russian's definitely like the Soviet Union definitely wasn't it. Then Russian honestly is not really your friend if you're a white western man. But they're not really your enemy either, I mean, and it's they as a hedge against people who really are your enemy. Is better that they existently not exist. But that's probably a subject for whatever episode. But yeah, the but the Cold War, the way to understand it in very raw terms, especially in the Kennedy era before things got a little bit more complicated through the taunt and then like when the Colder jumped off again into Earnest in ninety it's not it's not reductions to say that there really was a quote colored revolt underway. This was the question of the day in power, political and military terms. It was very much led from Moscow. It was facilitated by warsaw pacts, arms, logistics, equipment, foodstuffs, technology, manpower, everything, and that's what was on the table. Yeah, there was no deeper nuances to like the ideology that had created it. But in uh and as the world that stood when Kennedy took the oath of office, like the Cold War was what I just described, and that was a very real thing, you know, Like I said, there were yeah, guys like Yaki, guys I got a Reamer Yaqui was dead by then. But what he'd been saying before, and what Reamer was saying until the d die was you know, uh, you get if you're a European, you know who's under occupation and which all which they all were. I mean it's still this day, but in those days, you know, the Red Army was also in Berlin. But uh, you know, I said, you need to be very careful about what you wished for and in and and and then advocating that, you know, the Soviet Union should be destroyed because it's really the only hedge against the traditional enemy of Europe. And I agree with that, but uh, for our purposes, I have besides the world situation as it was in ken of the other of office, because like people this idea like oh, you know, what a bunch of horse ship, we got to go fight the communists and now or or they'll be over here, like that was not what was on the table. And that's not what anybody thought. And the potredominant theory. Wasn't this like crazy thing that John Bircher's thought or that crazy general's thought, like this was actually happening like huge swaths of the planet or going red. Okay, Stalinism had real cachet and you know, a huge in in in in one huge global popular and the entire like Raizon Detras. Opposedly, neurim Berg was we're gonna create this world society. I know, we even have the United Nations and so okay, well if like you know, at that at that time, and then there's about like and I think there's about like five billion people in the world. It's like, well, if like four billion of those five million people like think that communism is great, you've got a problem. Okay. I mean that's what the Cold War was about. It wasn't about you know, when I walk outside Terry Hood, Indiana, you know there's gonna be some there's gonna be some chinaman with a red star in his head and being it. You know, it's gonna like fucking you know, charge me and and like you know, turn me into fucking sashimi and like enslave my wife and you know, make everybody's go to the drive in and watch like shitty communist movies. Nobody likes. Like that's not what people thought. Maybe some people thought that, but that's not you know, like that, that's not what underlay the Cold War, and like people like, man.
Speaker 1: Well, let me let me ask you another question. It almost makes it almost makes it sound like you could, like somebody would say that they're reactionaries and how you know how people on the right are always just we're all reactionaries. It makes it sound like if the if the third world is turning red and these dominoes are falling, there's a reason why they're doing it, and they're reacting to what they're seeing happening to Europe. Basically, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: It seems like that's the case too. And that's why I mean today there's something that is I spend a lot of time. I spent a lot of time reading about and kind of studying as much as they can what uh what what what what some of these like Middle Eastern Nazi the actors are doing. And a bunch of these guys like a popular Front deliberies at Palestine General Command, like who who are big time a lie with Worsaw act like they flipped his lomic like very profoundly okay, and like very immediately after the wall came now and like some people be like, oh, you know, those guys just being mercenary and doing what they have to do to keep you know, money and weapons flowing. I don't think it's that simple, man. I think to your point, a lot of these guys they were basically they basically had contempt for like the features of capitalist modernity that they considered to be like most offensive. You know, whether it's like sexual essentiousness or you know, like the erosion of uh of of meaningful roles for men and women or you know, like mixing between races or you know, pornography, and I there there is a certain puritanical aspect of communism as it manifested in the Third World, but even otherwise, you know, like that was one of the things the uh that was that was a cause of refrain. There's like I'll get the fuck device and stuff in the DDR, you know, like I mean there was like not like narcotics, but like prostitution and sex stuff and all kinds of really crummy social ills. But at least the official line was that this stuff nasty, it's it's it's it's it's deplorable. Uh, this is the kind of thing characteristic in the Capital is West, Like we don't have any truck with that, and and this kind of thing should should be identified and stopped out wherever we find it. So yeah, I think there's an aspect of that and uh and yeah, that's but that was that was the jockey's old point and some of the people he inspired subsequent, like Thompson and like and like James Maddle who a lot of people think it was a crank. I actually hold him in a lot of steam. Uh. They that that was the point is the op points that Washington and New Yorker are in Los Angeles are or help a lot more quote unquote red and Moscow in East Berlin ever were ever will be. So yeah, there's an aspect of that that's a kind of a good question, and it's like a it's like a question, is it quite It's like a theoretical philosophical aspect to it, like we just raised, but there's also like a practical aspect and in concrete terms, the way people we are like leading their lives, you know, like you raised two that's what That's why I raised the use of these Middle Eastern peoples and stuff, because I was I think they're kind of like a bell weather for sort of radical tendencies. But I mean, that's that's my I've got my own thoughts on that, and that's that is like way too far outside of scope. But yeah, i'll uh i'll uh i'll uh I'll try. I'll try and get to the point and I wrap this up to realize, been a rambling for a minute, but the.
Speaker 1: Uh, I can ask questions to get people doing that.
Speaker 2: But no, no, I I I appreciate you asking questions, man, Like I I appreciate that, like the give and take. I mean you, I mean you always you always in situ way like meaningful stuff that i't a lot of time I haven't thought about. But also it's just, uh it helps me because I I have wore sometimes that like I go out too many tangents because my brain just sort of works that way. But yeah, I way interject whenever you want and don't. I'm not gonna feel explated or something. But the uh, the the uh yeah, Kennedy's basically I mean would basically underlay all this too in uh again kind of like raw strategic terms too, like without I mean, aside from the politics. Kennedy realized that you need a lot of you for lack of I forgive me if this sounds like flippant or silly, but you need like a number of mini options in military affairs in terms of your response. Okay, it can't just be either like massive assault, massive counter value assault, or some kind of like inglorious retreat or doing nothing, you know. I mean that's uh, it's like Highlight said the Starship Troopers like this, which is like a thinly veiled metaphor. I think the critique of a of a like Eisenhower, Truman and Eisenhower era military thinking. Like some young officer Cannedy says it like this grizzled like invagery captain, Like, what the hell, what the hell do we need conventional invagery for? And the captain it's like, let me ask you something like if a child's misbehaving, you cut his head off or you stink him, you know, like you you know, you know, you'll just like maintain a hatchets like in the misbehaving child. You know. That's uh which seems like the Coby kind of silly, but it's actually poignant. And uh yeah, that's something we take for granted as the way things develop, particularly through the Reagan era and in terms of military affairs. I mean, but in the nineteen and in the nineteen fifties, really through like fifteen ninety sixty, people were literally talking that way, like hey, we've got nuclear arms we can threaten anybody with, you know, basically like counter value genocide, Like why why do we need why do we need invest around with conventional forces? You know? And that's that seems crazy, but that but it wasn't just I'm not talking about like I'm not just talking about like goofballs like in the media or something like you equivalent of like internet guys of the day, Like I mean like like actual guys would out and policymaking circles, you know, and guys who had uh, who had a chest full of ribbons and and and a half full of brass like you know, fucking talking this white man. But it's Macnamara. And then that's why we'll get into this I g as we as we proceed in our series. But the roots of the revolution and military affairs are here with Macnamara, and Macnamara one of the things he diligently worked towards, I mean, the Vietnam War ended up taking off like a huge amount of his time and labors, but obviously but uh, developing a conventional capability not just for the purpose of flexible response, but to really make like a devastating conventional capability the kind of sphere point of American power that very much came from Magnamara. And he realized the way the world was going, and uh, part of it was he realized, you know what we just talked about that you know, nuclear arms are purpose for a very very specific exigency that almost never ever ever occurs. But also just you know, uh, the dawn of the information age, the uh, you know, the kind of rapid, uh punctuated development of all these applied technologies. You know, like things were becoming possible in the battlefield that were unthinkable even you know, twenty years ago, you know, and and in the in the then present, it's the uh and Macnamer Macnair's fortune is really during the Kennedy administration. I mean, if you need any more evidence that Kennedy really did kind of marry the US and the Republic of Vietnam in terms of in terms of you know, uh, global security policy. Uh, it was uh it was mac damara who who put together really the first military advisory group that landed in Vietnam, like in real depth. I mean, yeah, going back to Eisenhower, there's been you know, advisor on the ground what became Military Assistants Command of Vietnam, you know mc V. It was, uh, it was during was when Kennedy was still alive. It was during the last you know, like year and a half of his life or whatever. The mac namara raised force levels to about for a few hundred about to about seventeen thousand, okay, and I mean this was well before the Golf of Tonkin incident, Okay, in August nineteen sixty four, after mister Kennedy was dead, of course. But the uh, the and the Golf of Tonkin is a tricky issue too, Like I I don't know how to approach that because it warns more attention than I'm giving it right now. But people talk about it like I know that I'm gonna get it, like hate messages for this, because I do. Anyway, from the libertarians, a libertarians have this idea about the uh about about Article one an Article two, like expressly delegated powers they do these things like they do the gold standard, like something like they're Sacroe stack and never ever change or something. But formal declarations of war between powers that enjoy equalities of status and a multipolar world where if have planet's like divided up, you know, between these information powers and where like a change in the status of relations comes from like a formal declaration of war. And this is a recognized policy instrument that doesn't happen anymore. Maybe that's bad, maybe it's not, but it doesn't happen anymore. And since Nuremberg. It's not thinkable for that to happen anymore so for guys to come out and be like, well, actually it requires a declaration of war. Like, no, that's not how things work, okay, And I'm not gonna like worry aboudy the next position for the next hour, and like why it doesn't work that way? But it doesn't. And you've got to take my word for that, okay. And and Article two and expressing delegated power that is not negotiable and does not change with the times. Is the president being the commander in chief okay? And the president ability to command forces is not contingent upon a nineteenth century style declaration of war. Okay. However, considering Congress controls the purse strings, it's a good idea to make your case for why you should get, you know, endless money in cargo to wage the war. That's what the Gulf of Talking was about, Okay. Was it a ruse? Maybe it was, Maybe it wasn't. It doesn't matter. Josh was gonna get his war somehow, or his mandate somehow. With Johnson's war, Congress had to find a way to give him the uh, give him the uh, the the the Tabula rossa to do so and to and also signal of the Pentagon that they were willing to they were willing to foot the bill. And this is the way it came together, you know, basically to protect the record, you know, because America, I mean, he's the fiction of oh, we're always fighting defensive wars. Hey, we were attacked. And finally, like we talked about in the last episode, there was a lot of fictions that went into the drawing of the map and into China after nineteen fifty five, and whether North and South Vietnam or truly sovereign states that was even really clear because the only the seventieth parallel was supposed to be a stop gap measure pending you know name pending country wide elections were by the to be a single seat of government and that didn't happen. And the UH and and the DM government claimed initially that that was because the NLF, you know, the viet Cong, you know, had resorted to violence in order to in order to sway in order to sway you know, opinion in their favor to terror. So these elections are definitely postponed. So, I mean, it's not as simple as well you know, the Republic of Vietnam's a sovereign country and it's under assaults and we have an obligation to them moral as well as duristic. Like the beginning it is that it's not as it's not so simple the sailor the Golf of Tonkin incident, for the alleged incident, and the resolution was like some ruse by evil mister LBJ to you know, get a war man date or so mucho a lie and oh, by the way, that's illegitimate anyway, because there's no declaration of war like it's eighteen forty like not. That's not the way he approached it. And like I said, I know people are gonna send me like fucking messages. I don't care if I'm right and you're wrong, but that's important and I'm I'm the last person who's gonna defend LBJ in the record. But whether it been Kennedy, whether it been Ike, whether it had been mister Nixon, uh, they probably would have finastic goal better than LBJ did. But they would have gotten their warman day in some similar way. Okay, they just would have Okay, that's that's not arguable. Obviously, after the Gulf of Tonkin resolution was m was rushed through. Uh that's uh basically the escalation over Vietnam like but it literally began like with the air war, and inially it was massive intiliatory air strikes against naval targets and and and targets within a North Vietnam proper that were said to, you know, be facilitating it's it's it's it's blue water navy capability, which you know supposedly is what had brought you know, American vessels under assault. But from there, I mean the uh, the kind of fix was in and people can I mean the fixes in run characterizecuse. Like I said, I believe within the bound rationality of the Cold War, the Vietnam War had to be fought, okay, and I I stand by that position. But mag Namara, even it had that not been the case, you know, man if in this area defense, uh, you know, like a he can an officer, I mean, you're you're accountable the commander in chief. Okay, I mean it's not it's not like Magnamara. Ahead. You know, first of all, you can't you can't need some conscientest objector and fulfill your obligations in the offense of secondary defense. But whatever McNamara did or didn't do, I mean, he was executing the owners of the commander in chief, and policy does not originated with the Secretary Defense's Office or at the Department of the Army or Depentagon. Frankly, However, as we get into McNamara's success or as true successor, Melvin Laird, I think I think, I think, I think that the career of Lair and the kind of the trajectory of his tenure and his machinations against Nixon and Kissinger, I think that was kind of the origin of the true like modern deep state as we think of it. There's always been shadow government, shadow governments, not the deep state. That's something that was emergent, in my opinion, really interested around the nineteen seventies. But in uh, in any event, uh Magma anyway, he he uh, you know, Magna visited Vietnam repeatedly, like in person, you know, I mean he and and not just not a diplomatic meeting greets, you know where he revisited, you know, DM or two and go to go to some embassy party and then you know, take some like handshake shots of some general I mean he he visited mcavee. He he spent time at Long Been asking junior officers, like, what's going on here? Is actly? You know? Uh? He spent time pouring over uh, you know body count statistics that were coming from the title uh headquarters you know in the field that you know, like DOCTA or whatever, and saying like you know this, this isn't right, this is not possible, this idea, it was just like this kind of ghoulish warmonger just like signing off and everything or you know, somehow enriching himself. I mean, Magnemara, we don't need to sit here and like feel sad for magnemer He ended his He ended up at the World Bank. Subsequently, he had a very good life, you know. But but the fact is in public life he was ruined. You know. It's like, what what great stuff did Macnera get from you know, this kind of seventy years of managing the Vietnam War. Like it's not it's not like he got like some great benefits from this. He knows how he pulled us a lens Ski and like was pocketing a billion dollars and what he would have been a nobody before, like This is like a huge step down, you know, like Magnaver didn't get anything by by waging the Vietnam War on behalf of Johnson, Like he really didn't. But we're coming up in the hour here. Let's I'm gonna get into Melvin Laird and the rest of Magnamara next episode, and we can do that whatever you want, like even this week. And I'll uh, I realized the gind of got it cut to the chase. It's just somebody is a personage just kind of towering his magnumbry. It warrants a lot of attention, like more so than some than some people and even some presidents. But yeah, so I hope I didn't. I hope I hope I didn't drag it out too long for you're okay, great, Yeah, yeah, I figured you would have like kind of reined me in if I was like point two far on tangents. But yeah, no, thank you, Pete. This was really great. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean the only reason I interrupted was I had questions.
Speaker 2: So I want to take up that question proper too. I'll get a dedicated episode. Maybe it was like the bookend when he finished the Cold War. That's like a hugely important question and to me especially like I spend a lot of time with it, you know, just going to my own kind of interest in things. So yeah, no, I interject whatever you want, man like please do like it helps me organize my thoughts.
Speaker 1: All right, quick plugs so we'll get out.
Speaker 2: Yeah man. Uh as people might have noticed because I tweeted it out as well as I announced that on my subject hit like steel Storm two. Uh. You know, my second science fiction novel. It's been printed, it's it's in it send the hands of Imperium Press. I gotta touch base on my dear friends there anyway, but they physically have it, so I'm gonna get word from them when it's gonna go up for sale on imperium press dot org, and I'll drop a word of that. In the meantime. You can find me, uh you find my podcast and so on my long form at substick. It's real Thomas seven seven seven dots substack dot com. You can find me on Twitter at Triskellian Jahad. The T is a number seven. But if you seek me on Twitter you should you probably shall. We'll find or just like start Thomas seven seven seven. That's basically where I'm at where I'm active right now. I am launching the YouTube channel by the end of the month, I promise. I know it's been delayed and delayed, but by the last day in January, and I mean before then, but by the end of January, like the channel will launch. So please look for that two it's uh Thomas TV on YouTube.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it till the next time.
Speaker 2: Like, man, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Thanks. I want to welcome everyone back to the Pea Show for a Part seven is eight eight of the Cold War series. Thomas seven seven seven.
Speaker 2: How you're doing, sir, I'm very well man, thanks for posting me as always. Don't feel bad. I only I only know that it's part ocho because that was indicated when I joined the meeting that is Cold War with Thomas Part eight. You know, like uh, like Jason takes me in hand. But it's just like Thomas fuks on zoom. But uh, because it may We're going to continue to flesh out, you know, the career of Robert McNamara and the Vietnam conflict, not just because mcnamarror is a key personage, you know in understanding the Cold War, I mean represented a certain type truly. You know, people derisively would refer to people like McNamara and Thomas Schelling. We'll talk about probably the episode after naxt he was another brilliant Shelling. I mean he was not a brilliant polymath. He was instrumental in Cold War strategic planning and uh, you know gaming scenarios that uh that were where in you know, a strategy could meaning meaningfully be incorporated into exta technology and weapons platforms. And the degree to which the shape policy at every level like cannot be overstated. I mean, I guess on the one hand, that's obvious because we're talking about you know, I mean, I mean the essence of the political is war and peace. You know, kind of the zenith of war fighting technology is a general nuclear war, even if you know, we stipulate that a lot of the kind of hysteria around nuclear weapons is just that hysteria. But you know, the Shelling was far less of a public figure than magnam Era. I mean for a few reasons, not uh that that I think are obvious. You know, Shelling uh didn't preside over uh an active war. We're in you know, American Uh, Americans were dying in theater. But Mcnamerica kind of became that a figure that the left kind of loved to burn an effig, you know, proverbially speaking, And uh, I think he, I think he kind of like embodies that era, like the era of the technocrat. And I don't I don't mean that in punitive terms. I mean certainly that there's a lot of men who that that kind of that that kind of sociological structure produced, that we're not attractive people, and that we're re lacking in in a grounded morality, and and we're not, you know, we're not the kind of men who one would want sort of guiding policy in concrete ways. But you know, McNamara himself was a complex person. And to make the point again and again, like McNamara was not this guy who was fired to be Secretary of Defense. It wasn't like one of these kinds of He wasn't one of these guys who really had no way of kind of like capturing cloud other than going to Washington and and capitalizing on connections. You know, they asked him, he didn't ask for them. And like we talked about, it's not like mcnamur resigned in disgrace or something, you know, I mean, he he went on, uh, he went on to be the chairman of the World Bank. But at the same time, you know, his name became synonymous with the with the kind of grewsome uh calculus of the body count, you know with uh you know, the kind of the kind of head nerd view of that that came to surround the papers. You know. So it's not like it's not like market no matter somehow like profited immensely from his tenure as Secretary of Defense, and you know, his he even when eve when public opinion precipitously turned against the war post tet Uh. You know it's uh McNamara didn't simply exit stage laugh when things went bad. And I I can't, I can't emphasize enough to you know, the fact that he served for seven years. That's an eternity for a cabinet post, particularly for Secretary of Defense, and particularly during uh A wartime administration. You know. So, like I said, I I'm sure a lot of people are gonna just claim it, I'm some kind of Macnamara apologists owing to you know, owing to him you know, either like emotional uh factors or you know, I'm gonna hero worship. Like neither of those things are true. But I at all anyone who hasn't seen uh it, I like I said, I I I highly recommend he watched the Aeron Morris biopic on On macnamara, where I mean you he he interviews the man himself, you know, because that's what man what I'm what Morris does. I've reserved judgment until one views that Magnamara quoted himself incredibly well. And and compare that to one of Morris's subsequent biopics about Donald Rumsfeld. He just came who came off just as really kind of I mean just really just a really really just nasty person, you know, I mean in every sense of the word. You know. Uh, I think uh, I think compared to I think compared to those who followed who are either clowns or just you know, kind of you know, cynical uh creeps like Rumsfeld, and I think I think mc namara wims very large and uh in mostly positive terms. But we left off last episode, I believe, talking a bit about the Gulf of Talk and resolution and the incident itself. I don't wanna, uh, I don't, I don't wanna. I don't want to rehash the entire debate as it were, that still surrounds the incident that gave rise the Congressional revolution that you know, gave Johnson the Tabiola rossa to escalate. Essentially, I I just made the point then, as I'll reiterate now that for better or worse, and I understand the libertarian argument against this UH precedent, and I very much understand the kind of constitutionalist objection to it, But for better or worse, this is how the business of war and peace is conducted, and this is how it's finessed. And policy terms, Okay, it's some kind of incidents that identified as a clear and present danger or constituting a necessity, you know, UH, demanding intervention. You know, Congress affords the executive the UH, the ways and means in budgetary terms and in command terms to accomplish you know, the mission in general terms, and UH and and and and then you know it's it's uh. The legislature bows out of the decision making process in large in in large part you know there in in in a formal capacity, you know, until uh and until until something happens or a series of occurrences ensue that, you know, brings it back within their direct purview, you know, either willing to you know, revolt of the the body politics at war, or you know, some kind of perceived malfeasance on on the on on the part of the executive in terms of the conduct of the war. But we're not here to have a discussion on abstract constitutional theory, you know, or on you know, war power and and when, what it what and what its significance is in the in the post number era. I just wanted to make the point that the Westphalian practice of literally declaring war as a change of status and relations between equals like that, that's totally obsolete. And it doesn't matter if we think that good or bad. That's the way it is. So the golf of talk and resolution doesn't stand out as this uniquely you know, kind of corrupt uh way of uh of a rather morally uh you know, uh compromise executive Verkira Warman date. I'm not gonna sit here and say Josson was was had any redeeming characteristics. But even like like if Kennedy had been in the White House, he would have pursued he would he would have proceeded in much the same way as would Nixon, Okay, as would you know, Reagan had he been I mean, this is something important to keep in mind, but I won't believe that point anymore. But what the resolution represented was that, and I'm gonna, I'm go, I'm gonna jump backwards a little bit, doesn't. We proceed to talk about Colonel John Paul Van who I think is very important. He was his analysis of the Vietnam War like as it was underway, I think is essential to understanding the battlefield situation and you know, kind of the tactical shortcomings of a particularly of McVie. But I don't want to get into that yet. But what's important to keep in mind in discussing the escalation that was facilitated by the Tonkin Resolution is that Military Assistants Command Vietnam. It arrived in country in nineteen sixty two, and from sixty two to sixty five there was a proper counterinsurgency campaign underway against the viet Cong. And this really you know, Army Special Forces was very much purpose for that, you know, and that we talked earlier about, you know, Kennedy's you know, Kennedy's a strategic orientation towards sec NERD theaters, you know, and the need to you know, not surrender these contested territories to the communists, you know, for not not just for you know, on grounds of military necessity, but you know, owing owing the profound political implications of communist victory, you know, in these uh in these developing countries. You know, the and the fact that he is the Kennedy was such a champion of special operations forces is inextrictly bound up with that policy vision. But Vietnam pre Tonkin Gulf.
Speaker 1: So Kennedy in sixty two and sixty three was commander in chief guiding these missions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, essentially, Yeah, I mean he had it was it was mac Namara and it was you know, he Kennedy had a lot of talent around him, you know, who are who are helping him identify kind of the concrete variables. Now this translated actual war fighting. But so, I mean, I wasn't just emergent from the mind of Kennedy. But Kennedy did understand military matters reasonably well, you know, I mean he had been in pretty heavy action in the Navy. You know, he wasn't he he wasn't just some like civilian neo fight who had no idea of you know what what of what this constitute and what the difference was between the heavy army you know, organized around uh, organized around armor, you know, and that that uh that had a very very clouset wood see in view of war fighting. It was the advance of fire. I mean, this really did like rule the day, you know, and and I mean for good reason, frankly, because the the the army's uh most probable military mission was to fight the Red Army. I mean, but the uh, the kind of tactical flexibility that early special operations forces represented, this really was like a revolutionary idea. You know, like people under like forty five or so, when they think of the army, they or they when they think of the military establishment, they think of special operations forces. That's completely the opposite of the way things were during the Cold War, Okay, and it uh and there there's a lot of there's a lot of institutional resentment of the army towards special operations and I mean that's a whole other issue that's fascinating. But point being, there's kind of this mischaracterization I'm on court historians that Okay, in Vietnam, there's this guerrilla war underway, and you know Johnson, you know, being the you know, being the kind of fool that he was, and you know the Army being you know, trigger happy as they are, they just like looked over the situation and said, you know what, We're gonna deploy in massive, in massive depth, and we're gonna throw like as much firepower as we can at the viet Cong. Like that's not what happened. You know. There's a years long counterinsurgency, low intensity war against the National Liberation Front by the Army of the Republic of Vietnam, you know, by uh by the Arvin Ranger element, which was kind of their quasi special forces elements, and like we talked about, the South of Enemy's Army does get a bad rap because there were elements among them that fought hard and we're and we're very game fighters. But yeah, there's actually a fastening old movie called Go Tell the Spartans, which is about exactly this topic. It's about you know, the like the Kennedy era of Vietnam War and these green berets of this kind of forlorn outpost, you know, uh as they realized the kind of tactical situations changing, and obviously in the back of their mind they're terrified. Although they'd never like let on this is the case that of of of like the North Veennamese Army one day showing up and just like sweeping through, you know, out of nowhere. I mean, things like that did happen, you know, later on like against the against the purported you know, in address to what Army intelligence was claiming with the capabilities extent of you know, Hannoid to deploy in the south. But uh he as it may as uh as the as as things that are going bad in the south, and as as d M made it clear that he was willing to negotiate. You know, we talked about the kind of murky political status of Vietnam, you know, and it there was there was a lot of there's there's great concern that d M was just gonna sit you know, quote unlet sell out the West and kind of you know, kind of terms with with Ho Chi Minh and with Hanoid, you know, to incorporate you know, not just the NLF, but you know, the Communist Party of Vietnam UH into you know, into UH into the ruling apparatus, and I mean obviously that was unacceptable because that you know that that the precedent that that would set would be completely would be completely at odds with what you know, America is trying to accomplish in the developing world. And you know, we talked about how again like you know, the UH the it was it was at base. We're talking about a political conflict. It doesn't matter that you know they're they're there, that that's into China's not you know, a bounty of natural resources. It doesn't matter that you know, there's not there's not some absolutely essential you know, maritime portocoll that you know has UH has profound military significance there. You know, the line in the sand was UH was Vietnam, and that's that's where the Communists challenged and that's you know, the challenge of everyone. That challenge was going to be met or it was not. And the Communists had great momentum in the Third World even really up until up until the late nineteen eighties, you know, like long after, you know, long after like Stalinists type rule, you know, Marxist Leninist revolutionary ambition and and the kind of the kind of the armed UH insurgency culture or political culture around it. Long after that like lost its luster, you know for anybody, but you know, total diehards, you know, like the kind of people who joined like the Bottom Minehoff gang, you know, in in the Western world. This kind of thing had an incredible power to animate people in the Third world, you know, and Hochi Minh was himself as a testament to that. You know, like we talked about, Hoe was not some It wasn't some bumpkin or some or some ignorant you know, farmer or something. He you know, he was uh, he was. He was highly educated. You know, his family was uh was was was wealthy and well situated and very insinuated into the uh indigenous political structure, you know, and uh in Vietnam, so you know, and he was not He was not an outlier, nor was he an achronism. But because it may it uh, the the mass escalation, I mean yeah, part of that was owing to the fact that the post the new look army, you know, once what once conventional forces, you know, kind of became uh what once again in vogue for lack of a better way to describe it, the army, uh, the army remained obsessed with with firepower, you know, and the idea that you know, combined arms and a lot of these nascent technologies you know, and and the precursor the smart weapons you know, and uh as well as like the technologies immediately preceding the revolution and military affairs that allowed command and control, the truly direct fire they like, the the destructive capabilities of these things was just awesome. So there was, in fact the sense and the Pentagon that like, look, you know, asymmetric warfare. Yeah, there's you know, there's considerations emergent you know, within that paradigm, and that's got to be accounted for within the battle space itself and within you know, uh and and and and and it's got to inform decision making of how forces are structured and deployed in country. But at the same time, you know, if you can blast the hell out of everything, you're gonna get a lot done, you know. And and how can you know, how can the National Liberation Front, you know, no matter it doesn't matter how hard they are, It doesn't matter you know what kind of uh what what kind of civilian support they have? You know, it doesn't matter, you know, kind of how uh, it doesn't matter that they've got this kind of mass, youthful male population to draw upon. You know, if you if, if you, if you apply this kind of pressure in the form of you know, just relentless and massive firepower against the adversary, he's gonna just crumble. I mean, there was there was more than you know, like a modicum of of that sort of thinking. I mean, obviously, however, it was clear, you know, in nineteen fifty nine, and I mean sixty nine all the way to you know, nineteen seventy four, seventy five, when the People's Army Vietnam launched its final offensive, it was clear that Hanoi was not going to prevail without a massive conventional assault on the South Vietnam. It's a comparatively huge country. The National Liberation Front had the capability to dominate the countryside very effectively. Thus, this is what was responsible for the kind of you know, hearts and minds campaign, all of that, and and the idea of free fire zones and strategic hamlets, and we'll get into some of that later. But the uh, but but the but key urban centers the viet Cong could not, not only could not capture, but they couldn't, you know, and there there was a dearth of of necessary civilian support, you know, which was the true kind of like infrastructure of the Vietcong, you know, like any gorilla movement, that's what they have to draw up on. But even like their big coup was when they their big battlefield coup was when the NLF captured Howayi City, you know, and that's you know, and and uh, there's just there's those dramatic shots of the US Marines, you know, like raising the American flag like over the citadel and in uh in Hway, you know, because it was it was this horrible like pitched battle. But I mean just really really raw. That's why I think it's cool that full Metal Jacket like focuses on Howay you know. And and uh, Gustav Hasford made Wway the focus of uh the battlefield segment of his novel for for a reason. But the point is, like, you know, they couldn't hold it. You know, it's not like it's not like it's not like the NLF took away and said into this massive push on TET sixty eight, you know, and then uh, and and then the civilian population he came out and drove, you know, allow them to consolidate that that their presence there, you know, quite the contrary. So it was clear that South Vietnam either was going to have to develop a competent conventional capability buttressed by or facilitated by rather you know, modern combined arms and hardware, as well as the training of their people, you know, to operate these these weapons systems and weapons platforms, or there was gonna have to be direct intervention you know, by Sito ideally, and we got into STO the other day or some constellation of you know, American allies in order to in order to stave off uh this uh this uh this imminent assault until until the South could stand on its own. And that's what I just said. That's what became Grand strategy in Vietnam. You know. And as any military man will tell you, you know, you don't you don't you don't you don't wait until, uh, the exigency is afoot and then respond to it, you know, just like just as you anticipate capabilities, you know, not you know, you don't just consider you know, probable action in terms of uh, in terms of judging and you know, a potential opposing UH force. You were you pre empt UH the ambitions of that opposing force, you know, you don't you don't you don't wait until the People's Army of Vietnam is assaulting across the seventeenth parallel, you know, in in in in in depth, you know, with with combined arms, you know, to decide, like how are you going to react to that? Okay? So this was the this was this was the logic behind the massive escalation and UH there had been at its peak pre talking golf, I think it was between seventeen thousand and eighteen thousand, five hundred approximddally UH American forces on the ground in Vietnam. This is by the end of nineteen sixty seven, this had swelled the four hundred and eighty five thousand UH troops and UH by the peak, which was the summer in nineteen sixty eight, it was it was over half a million. It was something like five hundred and thirty thousand. Okay, the UH and obviously you know, as as as the casualties mounted and as UH and as some the plus situation you know kind of like restricted the UH the tactical environment and and what was and what was permissible according to the rules of engagement. You know, commanders on the ground, uh down to the company level, you know, their their constant refrain was like, basically, we need more manpower. You know, we need we we you know, we need to be able to apply more apply more pressure now And why why why was it kind of boiled down to that metric? Okay, well, you know we talked, uh we we talked when we first kind of scratched the service of of the atomic age, I mean, like it's advent and what the implications were in policy terms as well as military ones. And obviously I can speak a lot more about the former than the latter, because I am not a military man, and I you know, that's not really my wheelhouse. But I do know something about policy as it interfaces with military decision making and the needs of you know, the needs of the military establishment to accomplish stated policy goals as directed by the civilian executive. There came the ability to the the ability to corral data and the ability to interpret data, the ability to apply data to all kinds of problems at scale. You know, whether you're talking about you know, whether you're talking about the best of offset liability if you're you know, if if you're manufacturing automobiles, you know, and thus that that was the you know, unsafe at any speed. That was like the Ralph Nader book about uh, you know, the auto industry and it's it's macat calculus of you know, how many how many deaths owing to the products liability issues were acceptable? You know, vis a vis what would be the cost of remedying these design defects. I mean, everybody's familiar with that, Okay, that this this was something that was emergent, just like across the board, you know, in uh in the private sector and government, you know, in in in social planning, the military, uh, in the Cold War, it what you know, what the what the victory metric was in these secondary theaters, you know, where the primary challenge was a political one, you know, not a military one. You know, a comparable situation would be with the British we're facing in Northern Ireland. Okay, I mean that that that conflict developed ory differently, but uh, identifying you know, not just what uh what the tactical orientation should be in order to neutralize the opposing force, but what the performance metric is, you know, of those forces in theater. Well, what this came boiled down to was, you know, the the the ability to manufacture enemy dead. Quite literally, the logic of the body count became the performance metric. So there'd be demands from a battalion level, you know, originating with the originating you know, at M at long been uh, you know, and and trickling down to company and then platoon level, you know, like you need to produce bodies, you need to produce enemy dead. And UH, as a standalone metric, that's problematic. I mean, aside from the fact that it's macabre and all of that, and I realized it's it's kind of a gross thing to talk about that makes people uncomfortable. But this is very much like I mean, this, this is this, this is the stuff of modern warfare. Okay, but it took on a significance into itself and Vietnam owing again to the kind of to to the kind of the culture of strategic planning. But it wasn't just spillover from you know, the uh, the kind of a the data revolution spearheaded by I. D. M. And it's got the proto computers you know that were utilized uh in the Second World War, and and and and you know thereafter obviously, you know, the victory metric of in nuclear war is very much distilled down to you know, the ability to the like the ability to yield you know, enemy dead at the beyond like a certain tipping point. You know, that's that's literally what the term you know, like mega death indicates and assured destruction. Mega death was not just you know, the name of like kind of a got you know, a like a like a fucking heavy metal man, you know, like it Actually it actually was a term of art, if not the nuclear war studies and game theory, but because it may there is something too, uh there, there is something to this logic on the body count. I mean, if you're if the burn rate that uh that you're that you're imposing a upon the opposing force you know, far exceeds the population and military age males you know, who can be trained, equipped and fielded, you know, to replace those losses. At some point, you know, the insurgency is gonna fall apart where it's at least not gonna be able to mount operations you know beyond you know, like platoon level or something. And uh, this did work in a sense I'm one of the few defenders you'll find the Phoenix program. We'll get into that at another date. And people who don't really understand it, like even people are otherwise sensible, Like it's become this kind of it's become this kind of horror story that they like to bandy about. You know that, you know, it's kind of synonymous in their mind, or you know, it's taken on kind of the characteristic of a it's become kind of like the exemplar of of a of executive overreach and and and and violence they're in you know, but it something like that identifying enemy cadres, I mean, if you have a reliable system of of of identifying these people and targeting them for annihilation with a minimum of collateral damage where possible. That's basically how you fight uh counterinsurgency warfare or how you wage counter in curtaincy warfare. And uh, that's what the British Army started doing by the late nineties in Northern Ireland. Uh. The way they did it obviously was or by by the late eighties, I mean sorry, by not the late nineties, but the this uh that this this this was underway in Vietnam. At the same time that, you know, there was this kind of uh there's this kind of like body count driven effort in uh and you know, being waged by you know, conventional forces, you know, just to rack up the body count. And I mean obviously this led to all kinds of problems. You know, wherein these these numbers were confabulated. You know, civilians were counted as a as a as enemy combatants. You know, like really very very corrupt things happened, you know, of a moral and material nature. But that happens in every war, right, yeah, exactly. And it's also this didn't like somehow emerge in the Macnamara Magris and this gooulish guy who was like, oh, well, I have an idea. You know, let's let's transform let's transform the military apparatus into this kind of corpse manufacturing uh enterprise, you know, because that's just a great thing to do. I mean, this was this was the thinking at the time. And frankly too, I mean it there's a again, the Cold War was strange. I mean, in some ways there's commonality to all uh, you know, to to to all conflicts where there's uh uh at you know, where where there's where there's certain variables present. You know that that uh that caused you know, combat to resolve in similar ways, you know, adjusting for technology and things, you know, like with it within disparate theaters and across you know, across you know, the temporal divide and stuff. But uh, there were strange things about the Cold War that limited what was possible, not just because the threat of escalation, you know, even in even in a very secondary theater, excuse me, it was always present, but also again if you're fighting a primarily political war. You know, we're not just talking about we're not talking about the enemy's ability to field military age males, you know, who are gonna be trained as infantry or sapers or whatever. Not every man is gonna make it as a Viet Cong. That requires a certain radicalism, uh within uh you know, like with with with with within you know the quote heart and mind of that individual, you know, I mean it's not if you're if you're looking to build an insurgent army, particularly in a situation like when the vietnames called the American War, where you know, basically there's like an eighty percent chance you're gonna die, like you're not. It's not like being drafted into the US Army and you know, to go fight the Korean War. It's like a very different thing, you know, like you you every man pretty much needs to be a partisan. And yeah, you know, there were there there were a there were NLF fighters you know, who are basically like press ganged and you know, like joining the viet Cong and stuff. But that that was the minority, because you don't get results out of people like that, you know. I mean, so it the the idea that we've got to kill as many of these people as possible, and it targeted capacity, and you know, killing them is a is an end in itself because that's a victory metric in order to kind of alter you know, the political conditions on the ground and how these conditions translate to military power, you know, albeit in an asymmetrical way like that. That is a real thing. And that's that's that's a legit analysis. I'm not saying legit and you know, moral terms whatever, I mean, I'm not rendering decision on that one or the other. But in terms of there there is a tactical logic to that. That's not you know, insane or something or totally off base or the nor is it the kind of nineteen sixties, you know, technocrat version of Chatto generalship. And I think that that's important. It's uh. But moving on that, THEMERA became very very skeptical of administration policy, not because Johnson, as we as we talked about, you know, Johnson viewed escalation and the threat of escalation as a kind of political bargaining ship, which is not how you wage a war. Okay, I mean it's not and I mean you're first of all, you're playing with the lives of the men you know who uh who are charged with fighting that war. But also it just doesn't uh, you know, it doesn't. It doesn't work. You know, that's not a thing that yields concessions. And you know it doesn't. It doesn't it doesn't instill fear in the opposing force. You know, it basically tells him that, you know, eventually, you're gonna be willing to compromise, because otherwise, at the end of the day, you know, if you if that was not the case, you know, you'd be fighting this war. There'd be no like no restraint on the rules of engagement. Like don't get me wrong, you know. Uh the uh despite despite the kind of the kind of canaris like, oh, America was like fighting the Vietnam War with one hand tied around his balls or something. I mean, we killed a huge amount of people in Vietnam, Okay, like some real cowboy ship was going on. I'm not I'm not trashing the war effort at all. Okay, like uh unlike World War Two, I think within within the boundary rationality of the Cold War, I like I said, Vietnam had to be fought, Okay, but there was a lot of uh there there there there was there's a lot of wholesale killing of human beings, okay, according to pretty loose uh criteria, you know, the tactical restraints. There was you know, the the literally the parameters that were imposed on the operational environment. Like yeah, that had a that that rendered victory problematic. Okay, like no doubt about it, but it but the uh but but this, but this, but this idea that you know, uh America was like hesitating to drop bodies in Vietnam wing to crazy r O R O E. Like that's that that's that's completely fastile. But the uh but what mcnamer realized was that, uh, you know, the dropping more and more, deploying more and more men to Vietnam was not going to solve the problem, you know, Nor was uh? Nor was uh? Nor was the problem that you know, they're the bombing campaign wasn't intense enough or something, you know, Like he he basically reached the conclusions you know that that we're gonna talk about now, and like a lot of like like a lot of what I'm drawing upon to describe his mindset and describe some of the extant challenges of of of the Secretary Defense in his epoch, I'm drawing upon his own direct testimony, you know, I mean, among other things, obviously, but the Mactimer and in winter nineteen sixty seven, MC and everyone as far as to suggests freezing troop levels and uh, basically to prepare Magnara said like, well, then you know, we we don't we don't have infant we don't have any indefinite timetable you know, to make South Vietnam like combat ready in terms of their force isn't being you know, to stand on their own against the North, you know it. Uh, He like basically said that the situation is not going to improve on the ground. Either either you know, either the ear of the Republic of Vietnam can fight now or it's or or or or it can't fight. You know, two years from now, the situation is not gonna it is not going to be radically different. This was rejected outright by Johnson. And that's you know, it was November twenty ninth of sixty seven that Magnevara announced his Penning resignation. He didn't retire until February sixty eight, or resign rather, But that, I mean, that was that that thing was a story that brought the camel's back. Okay, I think Magna gave it his all and Vietnam for years. He risked his reputation, he probably risked like a lot of his a lot of his moral uh, he probably compromised a lot of his a lot of his a lot of his moral commitments too. Frankly, I'm not gonna sit here and make a martyr out of him. He took the job. And I mean, if you're Secretary of Defense, I mean you're you're dealing with the deaths of human beings. You gotta be okay with it. But the you know, he for for for this is what he did for for seven years almost and uh when when he when he approached his commander in chief and said, like, this is a situation as it stands, I mean Johnson Bass like waved him off, like dismissed him, you know. I mean I and I'm not saying that magnum are quit because you know, on ground is like massculine ego or something at all. But I can't even imagine being in that role particularly and considered like what what was underway in the country, you know, and uh and your secretary Defense like literally the man who uh you know, who you rely upon more than any singular figure, I mean in that administration, you know, to give you the straight story on the strategic situation, like he tells you exactly that you know exactly what what what you know what what what the what your options are is as commander in chief, you know, and you simply dismiss him because like that that that doesn't comport with like your own conceptual prejudices. I mean, it's incredible, But LBJ was just a terrible person and a terrible chief executive. You know. It's but that that doesn't need to be rehashed. But who succeeded. Who succeeded McNamara was Clark Clifford very briefly, that's not like a yalely like uh you're like old uh old America like name, I don't know what is, but he you kind of a placeholder. The true succession to mc namara was a guy named Melvin Laird. He's kind of forgotten the history, but Melvin Laird loomed really large over the late Cold War. His deputy, uh what what was not worry about Clifford was one of his one of like one of his chief uh like assistants was Paul Nitza, you know, and Paul Nitza was you know, he was the co founder of Team B and uh you know until he was like quite elderly like he he uh like Nitsa was even like he was he was he was drafting, uh he was, he was. He was he was drafting policy statements on behalf of the project for a New American Century, you know, like as late as the early two thousands. You know, like he he's he's he's one of these. He's one of these kinds of I mean not to sound no dramatic, he's one of these Nize was one of these shadowy figures of the defense establishment, you know who who really was uh you know who really was kind of like a hidden eminence. But uh, that's really all that's remarkab about Clifford Laird. Uh, Laird was interesting, and there was a how long, how how long we've been going here? I don't know if I should I don't know if I should dive into I don't know I should dive into. Yeah, we'll get started on Melvin Laird and and and then what begin the Nixon doctor in and then like well we'll we'll like deep dive properly into like Nixon's war next episode at that school because it requires I'm not intentionally dragging this out, but it there's just like a lot here. But Melvin Laird, Uh, some people, some of you'll talk on him like it was a hands off secretary Defense either wanting to you know, Nixon being an imperial executive who bullied his cabinet, Like that's that's complete nonsense. Other people cast Laired as this guy who uh you know, in in and then and delivered. Ever to strike a contrast to mc namara, you know, uh was was was a verse to you know, setting a policy course in uh, like you know, in its own right emergent from the Secretary Defensive Office. It's not now those things are correct. Laird actually was, uh, it was very much uh engaged in the course of policy and uh he very much became an enemy of Nixon Kissinger. And this had implications for Watergate, which in my opinion, was, you know, just the coup against Nixon. By what we do today is the deep you know, I uh certainly was government in those days.
Speaker 1: You broke up there, you broke up there for a second out were you referring to it as you said that the people who would have carried out Watergate would have been comparable to today what we call the deep state?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, definitely, definitely. It's just that the it's like the like government was different than the Cold War and certain key ways. But I mean some like I'm not. I mean, yeah, okay, we get. I mean, if you want to talk about in linear terms like yeah, I get, we can, we can look at it as is kind of you know, the phenomena in common. But the but Laird, yeah, uh, I think Laird's hostility to Nixon and Kissinger, it took on a very personal tenor, which is strange. I mean, I think it, uh, But in pure policy terms Lared's vision, I think he was wrong, but it's he wasn't totally of base. If you if you, if you'd Vietnam as essentially weakening the United States, not just some material terms, but uh, he said that, you know, essentially, he's like, you got a war weary country now, you know then like that they're now being nineteen sixty nine. You know, he's like a general war broke up, you know, broke out with warsaw pack tomorrow you know uh uh, you know, with with the country really have the political will, uh, you know, to fight worse, to fight the Soviet Union, warsaw packed in Central Europe. You know, it sacrificed. It's like a million and a half young people, you know, on the on on on the heels of what we've already endured in Southeast Asia. Secondly, he's like, you know, the uh, the the Soviet Union was advantaged, as we talked about before, in terms of the fact that you know it it basically had pre existing cadres on the ground throughout the Third World, owing in a large part you know, the kind of the anti colonial movement and other things on like a basic hostility you know to the West and and and profound turves not just superficial ones and uh, but also like a lot of these a lot of these movements, like including the National Liberation Front itself. You know, they've been engaged, uh in combat either against the Axis or you know, against UH or against the Portuguese, the French or the English or you know, any of these uh, any of these fading you know, colonial powers. The Soviet Union was able to really kind of spare its its own blood and treasure. Meanwhile, it really kind of had the United States's number in terms of it's war fighting doctor and in terms of strengths and weaknesses, you know, and uh, while America was you know, while America was taking heavy casualties in Vietnam, you know, and UH and and uh and and and and people were losing confidence in the dollar and things. You know, the Soviet Union was really was was uh was was under had undertaken It's owning a revolution in military affairs, you know, but it had done so without you know, like paying any costs and blood. And uh. Lard had a good point there, and UH, this became very evident post I think, and that's one of the reasons why when Reagan took the oath of office, you know, a decade later, there really was a sense that warsaw pat constituted a clear and present danger that wasn't that wasn't just propaganda or you know, a precursor to war fever or something, or or ear an iteration of war fever, what have you. What Lard did do was he said, uh, you know, his big thing where where where he and Nixon converged. He said that, you know, uh, we've uh, we've got to be we've got to be more assertive in in foreign affairs. We gotta be we gotta strengthen you know, us influence you know over the over what was then the European Community, you know, because the EU didn't exist yet. You know, He's like, we've got to consolidate. We we we've got to consolidate, you know, the whold we have on Japan and Korea, you know, to make sure that's permanent, you know. When uh and uh, he said that, you know, absolutely incredible nuclear determs is essential to essential sound foreign policy. But he said that strong conventional defense is is is just as important, you know. And the uh he came back to this point again and again. Like I said, he's like, you know, you're you're you're gonna be basically turn people against the military established man that we're constantly engaged in these brush fire wars. And I understand, I understand that point, but I don't accept it. But it uh, you know, my point is, like I said, like, it wasn't It wasn't some crazy idea. It's uh the Viyitnamization, uh regime. You know, Nixon's policy a disengagement with the South, you know well well, butcherssing its forces and being you know, in material terms as well as as well as in terms of morale and you know, transform transform the army of the Republic of Vietnam. It is something comic capable that very much that policy course very much came from Nixon, but Melvin Lair with the rubber met the road, you know, kind of uh saw to it being implemented. So it's profs for that. The uh. One of the early riffs between Layered and and and and Nixon and Kissinger. I mean basically the entire like executive basically the entire executive National Security staff of the White House, like you know, other than himself. In sixty nine, that's when the secret bombing is Cambodia began. You know, Cambodia was officially neutral. I mean, they were engaged in their own like bloody civil war. There's all kinds of intrigues there. And what's fascinating is that as the sin of Soviet split kind of set in, there's very much a proxy war between the Soviet Union and and Red China in Cambodia, you know, between the between the Soviet client North Vietnamese like later just you know, the Vietnamese army and the Khmer rouge. But that next an increasingly sidelined Laird and these key decisions, and that's there's an interesting parallel I with with Iran contract there, which which Warrants mentioned. I want I want deep dive into that now because obviously it would be here all afternoon. But it's Laird. Laird understood. Laird said, basically looked like this wasn't a matter of priety, is you know, it's not a matter of me being affronted that you know, despite the vegu of Secretary Defense, I being left out of these decisions but he said, there's an inevident there's an evidence there's going to be an inevitable disclosed public disclosure of uh of these bombings, and UH public outrage UH authentic or not cultivated or not by by hostile elements is gonna is gonna harm the harm wrought by that is gonna neutralize any tactical advantage by hitting these North. These North made me sanctuaries in Cambodia. And Larry was actually right about that. And again, I mean, may what what what was the anti war movement? And was it was its focused on these discrete policy decisions, you know, like the secret bonding of Cambodia. Was that like authentic uh outrage? I don't know, Okay, not at all. It was it was it was the It was the nineteen sixty eight equivalent sorrows inc you know, color revolutioning, uh, the American street against mister Nixon and the Vietnam War with of course the help of warsaw paged intelligence agencies. But that didn't matter. The point is that's what it would be a catalyst for. And of course I mean the you gonn almost hear the Nixon rebuttal of that of you know, we're not we're not gonna let these like we're not gonna let some like commy cocksuckers in Berkeley like dictate like the course of policy, particularly not you know, the course of war and peace decisions, because you know, bombing nominally neutral states that are actually communist sanctuaries is bad PR. But Laird was absolutely right. Okay, And you know, you if you're the president of the United States, you know you're presiding over the political culture that you're presiding over, and misguidance it may be, you know, like comically improper as it may be. You know, you are dealing with the hostile media. If you're a mister Nixon, her mister Trump, that's going to do early in his power to remove you from office. And these things must be considered. Now, that does not mean that you're refrained from assaulting Cambodia if it's a if it's if it's a tactical necessity. What it does mean is that you finesse it the right way, and you know, you don't do it in secret and cut the Secretary of Defense out of the equation. But that that really kind of, uh, that really uh, that really was kind of the nail in the cop and the relationship between Laird and and and Nixon and Kissinger, and later when when it was disclosed, when the bombing of Cambodia was disclosed, and these mass protests broke out, which with a precursor to the to the Kent State uh tragedy, which I don't know, people, I didn't know that until fairly recently. I mean I knew like when that. I knew when the camp I knew when the Cambodia bombies occurred, I knew when Kent State happened. I didn't realize that like that, at least the nominal pretext for the big protest was was the bombing of Cambodia. But uh, when this was disclosed, the media, uh, Nixon through Kissinger very publicly accused Laird of of leaking it, you know, just uh, which was a pretty was a pretty pretty serious allegation. I haven't deep dived into the issue. I can't really comment in that. I would have been surprised if that was the case. Somebody Lard was a serious guy, however you or I feel about his politics. He wouldn't have compromised. A guy like Lard wouldn't have compromised the you know, an active war effort, you know, to stick it to mister Nixon or to score points with the with the with with with with with with Woodward and Bernstein types. I. I just can't see that happening. But uh, be as it may, this was another I mean this, this was in another dysfunction of the Nixon White House. And I mean, don't get me wrong, I think Nixon was actually fighting the Vietnam War to win it. And uh next episode will also get into the man of Creighton Abrams, General Creighton Abrams, who succeeded Westmoreland, And uh I I think of Westmoreland almost, uh almost, uh almost like a McLellan of his era, you know, like very much, very much, very much a being counter or like a lesser or like a middle level executive and in particularly innovative company, you know, in in in in in in an army uniform. How Westmoreland advanced the way he did remains a mystery. But again I I don't there there's obviously not a help of a lot I can add. There's not obviously not a help a lot of insight I have into into the US military culture. And uh, I mean having not seen it from within. But the uh laird, Uh we'll wrap up here in a minute. So that because uh, the next kind of sub top I'm gonna get into is is huge. But the there's a legacy the laired I think he was very much the last kind of like Secretary Defense that had any real independence in policy matters now because he was such an incredible, dynamic guy, but because subsequent presidents did not make mistake that Nixon did your secretary defense during the Cold War, in my opinion, was was arguably as important as as ah as one as a selection for Attorney general. But uh, that's that's a that could be. Uh. I guess they could be arguing a number of different ways, but I think this might be a kind of a natural stopping point. I.
Speaker 1: Uh, you can do your you can do your plugs. You can also announce that Twitter is being Twitter again.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, yeah, yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: Account you know yeah yeah. I was suspended from Twitter the week Elon took over.
Speaker 2: It's just bizarre and like as they suspended him and he's is a legit guy, and like he's afraid to speak his mind, Like what what what would what? He doesn't he doesn't he like blogs about I mean, he's he's he's like kind of a mega guy. But what what the hell is he dropping that's offensive to Twitter? You know, like it's just totally random.
Speaker 1: Accept his love for docking back for the attack. That's the only thing that really.
Speaker 2: But it makes no sense, like even like like the things that even usually throw like their triggers like he or whatever, like he like why bing him? But it's but the uh but yeah, I mean and it's I I but who people not every time does this has happened literally a dozen times. It happens like every several weeks. Everyone it happens. People act like I die or something. It's like I do a lot of just like goofy shit posting on Twitter. I drop some serious stuff there too, but that's like it's kind of a big nothing man like I use it to promote what we're doing so that our people can find us, you know, and and tune in for like the stuff we're doing here. This idea that it's like this awesome platform that we need. We don't fucking need that shit. Like I built my brand when I was on no social media at all. Okay, I do have an account there that is active, But I I'm gonna be low key about it because like I, I don't know who the hell knows like what they're you know what what the kind of one can never tell, like what what the lay of the land is in terms of you know the I mean, who can who can predict arbitrary and caprecious action, which is by definition is arbitrary caprecious. But I'm transitioning to YouTube, that's like my primary platform. I'm gonna back it up on Odyssey and stuff. Yes, I realized YouTube is censorious as well, but I mean I've been we're we're kind of we're kind of leaving Twitter behind anyway. But yeah, so I don't want people acting like this is like the end of the fucking world. Like it just it bothers me when people act that way. But the but the yeah, I mean find me on substack real Thomas seven seven seven dot substick dot com. I'm on Instagram just at like number seven h m A S seven seven seven. The YouTube channels launching at the end of the month. Like I said, I'm very excited about it, Like I really am it. I there's a lot of potential there and I think people will be very happy with it, and I've got I'm very blessed to have some really great people helping me produce it, because I certainly would be pissing into the wind on on the production side or not for them. But yeah, and Steel Storm two is available at Imperium Press. That's the second installment in my science fiction series. So yeah, please check it out if you're a fan of my work product and or science fiction. And that's that's all I got.
Speaker 1: Well, once again, thank you, and it's all the next time. I want to welcome everyone back to the Kenyona Show, part nine of the Cold War series. How you doing, Thomas, I very well.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Today I wanted to talk about something that's sort of a forgotten that themned them to the Vietnam War, And like I raised before we went live, there's some there's some pretty haunting things about Vietnam. I don't want to sound allo dramatic, and I don't mean in the way that it's presented in most court history narratives, but there are there's a lot of dishonesty about the conflict, particularly among you know, in the accounts of men who served in the executive branch Now, if you go to the Vietnam War Memorial, you know the wall in Washington, DC. And I didn't notice this until two thousand and five. You know, these the black marble or granted whatever it is. I'm not a big fan of the memorial, honestly, like the way it's designed. I think it's kind of morbid. But because it may, each section is designated by conflict gear, you know, so it's like all the men who died in nineteen sixty seven in hostile action, you know, they'll they'll be like their names the final panels nineteen seventy five. So I figured, okay, that's probably I didn't think there are any casualties of the embassy marines or whatever during occupation or operation. I think it was enduring wind the evacuation of Saigon. But I noticed there's like thirty eight or some names on it, and I'm like, that's not right. And uh lo, and behold the men who died on Ko Tang, the Battle of Ko Tang Island against the Khmer Rouge, where it just kind of as an afterthought tacked down to the Vietnam War Wall, which doesn't make any sense. The Battle of Kotang was not the final battle of the Vietnam War. It was against an entirely it was against it, you know, it was waved against an entirely different regime in an entirely different country for totally unrelated reasons. And I found that to be kind of grotesque. But some years later Rumsfeld wrote a couple of books. Okay, he wrote his autobiography and then he wrote his memoirs. And Rumsfeld really cut his teeth in government as the White Awshiva staff from the Ford administration, and he talked about the Battle of Ko Tang like it was this great operation and you know, there was only I think he said there was only three casualties, which is perverse. And we'll get into why. It was just like an out and out lie. And this disturbed me. I mean, I suppose the rebuttal would be, well, you know, Rumsfeld is recalling things then that were, you know, thirty five years in the past. Rumsfeld had a photographic memory. He used to brag about that. And Uh, my dad made the point. When my dad got out of the army, Uh, he went to work for McGeorge Bundy and they developed kind of a rapport, you know. Uh, and my dad used to drive him around and stuff like that. And uh, my dad met Rumsfeld during his tenure with Bundy. You know, my dad was just like a nobody, you know, so there was no way for Rumsfeld to remember him. And then decades later, my dad and a Rumsfeld at some like CFR thing, and Rumsfeld addressed him by his first name because he just that's the way the guy is. So Rumsfeld, what I'm getting his rumhold not forget what the casualties were at Ko Tang, and he didn't just get confused about, you know, what actually happened there. Nor do I believe somebody ghost wrote the book and Rumsfeld didn't fact check it. So I mean that's I guess what what kind of jumped out of me is that this this was still being kind of swept under the rug like decades later. So what was the Mayagas incident and why is it important? Well? On May twelfth, ninety seventy five, uh a uh an American cargo ship s S. Mayag Is the A crew at thirty nine. It was off the territorial coast of Cambodia, you know, which was then which was then ruled by the commuter route. You know, two weeks before and UH they had conquered the capitol, they got captured. The Kremier Rugs claimed that they were in territorial waters. UH. The captain of the Mayagas subsequently claimed like they were fired upon by teeth by peat by pt boats and you know, corralled into Cambodian territory. Regardless, this whole crew was seized. UH. This UH had echoes of UH when the North Koreans had UH seized the Pueblo, which is the navy intelligence vessel in nineteen sixty eight, and UH, the North Koreans grabbed the Pueblo at the height of the tet offensive and being there it was an intelligent ship, the North Koreans were able to seize encryption equipment. And it's believed that, UH, it's believed that John Walker, not John Walker Land, a different John Wallcker who became associated with infamy and freezing. He was this naval officer who, UH, as it turned out, was spying for the Soviet Union for decades. And it's believed that you know, the North Koreans conveyed UH this naval encryption equipment to Moscow. Walker then provided Moscow with like the with the ciphers so that they could you know, that the Soviets could could decode you know, the encrypted language. So I mean this was a this was a big deal, you know, and it it and it you know, there, even if Johnson had a stronger mandate, and even if the Vietnam War was going better, Uh, the United States wasn't really a position you know, opened up another front in Asia and you know, wage war with North Korea. But there's evidence that in part the North Koreans via the Chinese, were very much trying to facilitate that. But that's a little bit outside this go. But in any event, Ford was not going to allow a repeat of the Pueblo incident. So immediately, obviously, you know, the uh, the the National Security Council convened secondary defense, UH, which at the time was Schlessinger, who uh, I've got nothing nice to say about. People who remember him at all generally remember him for some incredibly slanderous things that he said about President Nixon. But he uh, you know, Nixon played musical chairs with his cabinet kind of like mister Trump did. Although there was obviously there was more kind of rhyme and reason to to uh Nixon's staff decisions. But uh, Schlessinger had succeeded Elliott Richardson. Elliot Richardson had succeeded Melvin Laird Like none of these men like Stir for more than several months. Okay, but he was a holdover from the Nickson ministry for better or worse. So is Kissinger, who was Secretary of State at the time. But uh, And what's important, what's important to keep in mind during this time is that there was no Special Operations Command. The US military was kind of a mess. You know, this was only this was less This was less than a year and a half after the draft had had ended, the all Volunteer Force was being implemented. There's a there's a there's a draw down in uh in the number of h division sized combat capable formations. So basically, uh, the the Cold War flash points in Europe and in Asia were really being manned by a skeleton crew, as it were, and there was not this like rapid deployment capability, and there was no Special Operations Command. So you know, the kind of instinctive response people have in reading about the Mayagas was like, well, why didn't you know? What didn't so commerce predecessor, just like deploy Navy seals or something like that. Infrastructure didn't exist. And also and uh as the crow flies. I think the closest UH combat capable force to UH to Cambodia would have been located in Okanawa. Nineteen seventy five. Okay, like this was, this was this is heigh of the Cold War. You know, this was not America did not have you know, four deployments all over this planet, you know that, And it didn't have the commanding control nor the forces in't being you know, to respond to something like this instantaneously. Yeah, but I mean I've seen it seems short sighted, I guess that people today, But it's history in the rearview mirror, Like this was not this kind of thing was not really within the contemplation of of of the Department of Defense either. It was it was not the kind of exigencies that were emerging in nineteen seventy five in any any kind of regular or predictable capacity. But because it may like we talked about, like we talked about last couple of episodes, Cambodia and the Kremie Rouge was absolutely a client regime of the people's Republic in China. This created some strange intrigues. As you know, Pet King was decoupled from Moscow in a real way. And this was you know, solidified by the efforts of a Nixon and Kissinger. America had to tread somewhat lightly too in order to preserve that just a uh an immediate kind of brought spectrum assault on Khmer Rouge Cambodia, which they had they were calling Democratic Campuccia. That would have caused real problems and uh that could have uh that wouldn't have this the Sino Soviet split by that point, was that the chasm was too great. Proverbially, that wouldn't have driven the Chinese back into the arms of Warsaw Pact, but it definitely would have generated momentum in that direction. Okay, So that's kind of the subtext of this, and that's one of the reasons why I think it's an important It's not just you know, like a footnote of history. It's something that deserves to be talked about, not just because the men that were lost there and and the three of them in particular stuff for an utterly horrible fate that we'll get into, but it's imperative to understand, uh, you know, how complicated and how strange the late Cold War became. And obviously later you know, uh, in nineteen seventy nine, the Hanoi government quite literally went to war with China, and uh, concomitantly, you know, the the Vietnamese assaulted into Cambodia, deposed the Khmer Rouge and and this you know, decades long conflict ensued, you know, between the Vietnamese occupiers and the Khmer Rouge have been driven off into the bush, which was very much a proxy war between the people's public as China and the Soviet Union, which I mean not to be flippant about it, because I mean, you know this, the cost in human suffering was immense, but uh, creating generating that conflict was kind of a master stroke of the Nixon White House and subsequent administrations who continued to cultivate that divide and conquer strategy. But there's some uh, there's some evidence, uh, if one knows what to look for, the Chinese had absolutely no interest in sabotaging the kind of strategic alliance for the America which was then still pretty fresh. But at the same time, you know, China was not America's friend, and they were just as prone to intrigues as uh. As ever, I believe that the Chinese probably directed uh the Kmier rouge to seize them uh, to seize the uh mayagas or at least once it happened, you know, they they they they they endorsed that move. And I think the I think the long game for Pet King was that then they could intervene as like negotiator. It would be a way to kind of bloody Uncle Sam's nose in terms of global credibility, you know, cast China as uh you know kind of uh the arbiter of a of of warrant piece affairs in the Orient and uh. Plus it would generate good will, at least in pay King's mind with uh you know, whatever government replaced the Ford administration. And that sounds totally backwards, it's strange, but that's the way that the Chinese think and thought it is. It's an arguable examples are myriad. If people think I'm just you know, kind of mouthing off they don't like the Chinese or whatever, But this was a delicate situation, is uh what I'm getting at, you know, beyond the obvious fact that that any kind of hostage rescue operation is is is kind of the worst possible in operational terms, UH circumstance to emerge. You know, one doesn't need to be H one doesn't need to be some high speed military type to recognize that. But the way it played out in UH operational terms was for for it was informed the seizure of the make of the Mayagas at his UH morning briefing on UH the sixteenth, like I said, the National Security Council was convened Brent Scowcroft, who, as I'm sure people will recognize, you know, later went on to play a major role in the Reagan administration, particularly Reagan's first term. You know, he he basically early on in the crisis was UH what was the one who uh you know convened UH what ultimately became you know, the parties who determined what what the what the operational response would be for better or worse? The UH, the the big concern I mean obviously aside from the you know, the issues are just indicated relating to a relating the UH US Chinese relations and everything else. America had a major credibility problem, and like we talked, you know, owing to the falls Saigon. And as we talked about I think last episode, I'm not just overstating that because it's kind of my peculiar emphasis as a revisionist. This was in the Cold War, particularly as UH strategic parody set in which UH in the later region of era was I mean, it was was kind of the you know what was was the height of that kind of paradigm shift. The United States enjoying credibility and its ability to project power successfully, you know, when a third world That's basically what the entire Truman doctrine hinged upon, and the entire American Cold War strategy in in military terms, hinged on the Truman doctrine. Okay, so coming off of UH, coming off of defeat and Saigon, despite you know, however much that had been mitigated by the sound of Soviet split. In pure military and strategic terms, if America had proven unable or lacking in the will to respond UH to the seizure, that mayegg isn't its crew Well, in you know, military operational terms, that would have UH, that would have had real world consequences and UH, and and that that's that's really what was on the minds of you know, Ford himself and everybody in his National Security cabinet. Ford immediately issued a statement declaring at the seizure of the vessel was an act of piracy, which is interesting language, which wasn't really precedented. And the context understand that statement within it wasn't just him, It wasn't just the president relying upon you know, kind of cringe polemic. What he was saying was, I mean, this this was the era when people were banding that you know, the president had to have you know, approval from Congress before he, uh, you know, acted in the Article two commander in chief role and like nonsense like the War Powers Act was being floated. Okay, I don't want to start a constitutional debate, but that kind of stuff was emergent from the hangover over over the Vietnam conflict that that does not have a leg to stand on according to the letter of the Constitution. But because that was the tenor of discourse, forded to send some kind of message that you know, he was not gonna he was not gonna he was not gonna await some kind of congressional debate. And whether or not, you know, he was off the rise, he was forc against the Premier Rouge. You know, he's saying, like, you know, this is outside of the bounds of of of ordinary international relations, and you know I'm gonna respond to OVERI fit that's reading between the lines. I find that very interesting. I can't think of a more unenviable position to be in than, you know, the American president in the aftermath of Watergate, being faced with a you know, a kind of asymmetrical national security crisis like this that calls for you know, immediate decisive action that I mean, that's never a particularly desirable situation to find oneself in, but in that era, and then specifically in that moment, you know, weeks after the fullest I gone like I can't even imagine. But secret to state Schlessinger, what he did immediately was he directed the Joint Chiefs to order their people in theater to locate the mayaga Is and at all costs prevent the vessel's movement to mainland Cambodia, employing all the des ury munitions required to do that, but obviously taking care not to harm you know, the hostage crew. Kissinger, and this was fascinating, immediately went into action. But he didn't contact the Khmer Rouge or attempt to. What he did was he conducted the Chinese liaison office in Washington and he immediately demanded to release the mayag is and to convey that message to the Khmer Rouge on the ground. The whoever the formal diplomatic representative of Pey King was, refused to accept the note, saying basically, I can't take responsibility for this gets injured. Then tapped George Herber Walker Busch, who at that time was leading the counterpart lie as an office in Pey King. He delivered the note personally to the Chinese Foreign Ministry and he, according to Bush himself, and uh, I don't see why you would lie about this. He conveyed orally that if there was not you know, if the immediate release of of the Mayaga's crew was not you know, was not realized, that uh, the Khmer rou should be held responsible collectively and there'd be a massive shock and awe assault on Panolan Penn And again the this wasn't just diplomatic protocol that both Kissinger and then Bush approached China. I mean it goes to show you what was underway behind the scenes, and that this obviously the most charitable view to take of it is that, well, you know, the Khmer Rouge, they were paranoid psychos and it was this kind of backwards revolutionary regime. They grabbed the Mayagas just because they were paranoid. Then when they realized, you know, that it was a US flag vessel, they freaked out and didn't know what to do. The most kind of punitive view of it is that, you know what I the possibility I raised a moment ago, was that the Chinese orchestrated this, as you know, part of a Machiavilian kind of intrigue drama, which they've done in the past, frankly, and continue to do so today, albeit and less punctuated in violent terms. But regardless, Washington obviously was aware that, you know, China was either responsible for this and in approximate causal terms or had the power to force a resolution. And that tells you everything you need to know about the relationship between the Khmer Rouge, the Vietnamese, the Soviet Union, China in the United States. H Subsequently, the Khmuho's tried to do exactly that, release the Mayaga's crew unharmed, which we'll see, and I think that further substantiates, you know, my kind of uh spitball analysis. But I, like I said, I'm not I'm not just speculating or conspiracy theorizing. I think anyone who spends time with the factual record and you know, kind of read between the lines of American diplomacy speak, I think this becomes clear. Okay, back to the uh kind of practical operational side of it, though the uh it was on the the following day, it was confirmed that the Mayagas was off the coast of Ko Tang, which is an island in Cambodian territorial waters which the Khmuter Rouge had fortified after the after Prono and Pen fell, which it later became clear that they'd done so in anticipation of a Vietnamese naval assault, because their big fear was that it would be used as a staging ground, you know, to assault in mainland presumably as you know, a secondary theater to a divert kremue Ruse forces and being from you know whatever across border Loca I had had been the you know, the the spair plannks as were of of the Vietnamese of potential Vietnamese assault I can't speak how problem that would have been, because I mean, who knows, but it wasn't. It was entirely reasonable to you know, anticipate that at the time and with what was underway. And I mean ultimately the Vietnamese did. I mean that's what the posed the com rouge was a Vietnamese attack. So I mean this was not just this is not just an alibi of a of the regime, whatever else we can say about it and its credibility. The absence of combat cable American forces in theater again was the big problem. The closest, uh truly comic cable element was the second Battalion, ninth Marines, when a training who were then engaged in a trainingcise on Okinawa and on the night of the thirteenth of May, which was the day after the that the seizure of the the vessel itself, they were ordered to return a camp and prepare for departure by air on May fourteenth. It Uh, the problem was this was a heavy I mean, this is this, this was not this is this is the proverbial operation. Every one needs to go into light. I mean, like again, these days we would think of it as like a Sealed Team six or like a Delta Forest kind of operation, and uh, this is not really what people were training for at that time, and there was an by nineteen seventy five, there was there was a handful of officers with second Italian ninth Marines who died, you know, been under fire in Vietnam, but virtually none of the enlisted matter Renco's head. You know, the idea taken. I mean, however tough these guys were, and I'm sure that they were like a hard dudes taking you know, taking a marine element that had not been in combat before, and you know, kind of breaking their proverbial sherry, you know, by having them assault a ship that had been taken hostage. And this in a kind of anti counter terrorist operation like that seems like a recipe for disaster. Would ultimately put the gobache on that planned operation. Was uh a guy named General Burns, Yeah, Burns, he was commander with the seventh Air Force. He uh wade in and said, look, you know, it's very possible that you know, the crew has already been you know, taking landside either on Ko Tang itself or is being shuttled to the mainland. Regardless, He's like you're gonna need more firepower than just you know, then then you know, can be uh gonna be brought to bear you know by dropping uh, but by dropping uh by dropping the Marines, you know, by chopper onto uh onto the vessel itself, you know, with you know kind of like light covering fire from whatever. These I assume, like I assume like Hue. I don't know if Hue Cobras were fielded then yet, but yeah, yeah they would have been. But I mean point being you know with uh, Burns to his credit, was thinking ahead and uh his idea was, uh bring to bear air Force gunships and shoppers to be able to you know, saturate the island of firepower if need be. And the uh you know, the the hostage rescue element, he suggested, uh, the fifty sixth Security Police Squadron. He is like the Air Force guys who like guard like air bases at that at that time, that's what they were. Like. These days, the Air Force has like a high speed like like spec war like element, but in those days they basically had these guys were somewhat like more high speed like MPs, you know, and again like that's not really that's not really you know, the element you want for something like this. But uh, his view at least was more kind of in line with what was to develop than then than that than that which was floated uh previously and in this operation was actually implemented it and the Utapo Airbase and Thailand, which I believe is still in use. Like the idea was that these gunships and these UH and these UH air Force MPs you know who are the hostage rescue element, They're gonna be shuttled from the Philippines to uh Utapo in Thailand to be yah different thing, and then from there they were gonna assault Ko Tang on the way to Thailand. Uh there was there was a chopper crash and like eighteen of their number were killed. So as you can see this, uh it was eighteen eighteen the security police and five crewmen. So I mean, as you can see, there's just getting like more and more food barb by the moment. In operational terms.
Speaker 1: It sounds it sounds like trying to go into a ram and get the hostages.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, And uh, yeah, no that's that You're exactly right. And this coupled with desert one and you know, with which the aborded Iranian rescue mission and uh, the lack of integrated command and control of Grenada. That's really what created so COOM, you know, because the need for it became recognized.
Speaker 1: Well, there was only one lost in Grenader, right, was there one? I think there was only one casualty in Grenader right?
Speaker 2: No, there was a number. And what happened was these Navy seals who were there was a bunch, there's a few. There was like a you know, there's an Army command element, a Marine command element, and then there was these seals who ended up somehow dropped in the wrong place and then they ended up drownings. They weren't retrieved. Yeah, it was a whole mess, and like it had to do. It was literally totally avoidable when it was like a command and control.
Speaker 1: Nineteen dead, nineteen dead, one hundred and fifty wounded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean Grenada is all. We'll get into Grenada in one of the later episodes because it's in political terms, Uh it it bored directly on uh uh the Sandinist Revolution, and there was there was North Koreans on the ground there. I mean, obviously it was the Cuban element there's a couple of East Germans like it's fascinating and it very much, uh, it very much was what the I mean, however, anybody feels about the Reagan administration, and you know, some of it's alleged overreach. Grenada actually was it was it was being purposed to rapidly reinforce Nicaragua and and friendly proxies like the theater. You know, that was you know, the the only thing to building Grenada was an airstrip for that purpose, and that's exactly what they were building. But as it may, after this atter, this, after this UH, after this disaster with you know in uh at uh the TAPO for it can be another National Security Council meeting on UH on May fourteenth, the uh A communication like been established with the seventh Air Force elements UH that had departed from Hawaii and where the circling Ko Tang and in these day, in those days, that was a closer you get to like real time communications. I mean, that's another thing we take for branded today. But obviously then like you were, there was quite literally like blindness in theater if you were the command element in in the White House, you know, trying to direct military operations to the Joint Chiefs of Staff and then they in turn, you know, any any any data they were getting from the battlespace was you know, minutes at least minutes and probably hours out of date. The UH these fighters, UH they were trying to What they didn't realize was that the crew by this time of the Mayagas had been shuttled to this fishing boat which was then UH attempting to transport them to UH the mainland, this coastal city called Kampong Sum. These guys their credit, these pilots who were circling in theater, they recognized that that's probably was going on. They requisitive permission to UH trying to shoot the rudders off of this ship that was conveying them and like assault the pet boats that were escorting it. Ford intervened had said that, you know, the use of those kinds of munitions would be would present too great risks of the crew. So they put the gabash on that the UH at at the same time, UH the National and Security Council, they got word, UH they got word back that the Chinese For and Ministry and BREAT Beijing had refused to UH pass any kind of formal communication on the Khmer Rouge. But Busch said that in his belie but Busch said that he could all but guarantee that the Chinese are putting pressure on the Khmer Rouge to comply with whatever American demands were because like, obviously even if I mean, like I said, I've got my own theory on this, that this was very much orchestrated by Pey King. But whether it was or not, obviously the situation was rapidly, you know, spiraling out of control. And uh Busch, uh whatever, Uh, whether a view of him charitable or or whether it's you know, not particularly so. So Bush was a serious guy and he very much understood the Chinese and had a rapport with them. And I mean he was a career intelligence And if you're relayed that in my belief, uh, you know, this has been conveyed and this is what's happening. I think, you know, that was I think I think I think that was as good as gold. But uh, the the acting chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff was a guy named uh, it was a guy named David Jones. What he presented and this was ultimately followed through in operational terms. He presented the arrange in military opposite of the National Security Council and he said, you know, look like we're not even sure where the Mayagus crew is at this point, you know, whether there's shipboard, whether they're landside, and if they're landside, where they're actually located. And he's like, obviously like they are, you know, rescuing them on a harmony to be our priority. But he's like, we've basically got to like waste the commuter rouge because like we can't just like let the slide. You know, He's like, we gotta this is a credibility issue at bubb all else, you know, aside. You know, obviously you know we're not going to disregard the lives of our people, but you know, we've got it. We've got to lay as much hurt on the premier ruge as we can. And from that point forward that was basically accepted by the White House. It came down to three possibilities. Some intelligence suggested that they were still on the mayagas. Some suggested they were on Kotang Island. Others suggested that they were on the fishing boat itself route uh I, bound for the mainland and the you know, the coastal city of Campung Som, which is what these Air Force pilots were laid, which turned out to be true, incidentally, But what was ultimately decided was an ancial security council decided to do. They decided to deploy the Marines to take the Mayagas itself, assault Kotang Island and together the ass of Assault and Cambodi itself, particularly it's shipping and uh it's uh it's shipping infrastructure, you know, and you know all like you know, naval military targets and uh escalating the Panolan pen itself, you know, and like any other kind of like counter value uh targets of opportunity that presented themselves. You know, if if uh if if within you know, twenty four or thirty six hours or whatever, you know, there wasn't resolution to the crisis. The fishing boat on which uh the magus crew actually was and it did arrive at Kampung Sam. The Khmun rouse commander at Kampung Sam either either he had either been either the Chinese had gotten to him, or he just understood what was underway. He issued in order to his men, like you know, I don't know you know, do not harm these hostages, you know, under any circumstances. You know, he asked these hostages. You know, he's like, you know, I mean, I mean by that point, but established obviously it was an American flag ship, you know, and he uh, he asked him if the radio equipment was was operable, you know, said they get it's He's like, look releasing you you know, like, can you call off this assault? And uh it was it turned out the radio equipment was not operable, but the uh as it uh and as it turned out later like one of the one of the one of the guys later just closed. He's like, he's like, I didn't know if we'll be able to reach like any of the aircraft in the air. But he's like, by that point, like I wanted He's he's like, I wanted to commuter ruders to get their ass kicks. So he's like, I, you know, he's like I wouldn't have transmitted it anyway, which Franklin was the right call, I think, but that but by that point, uh, the die was cast. The uh the it was that uh the U it was that around just past dawn on May sixteenth, Kotang itself was assaulted. But as it as it turned out, Intel suggested that there was only about twenty or thirty Camire Rouge fighters on the island. It turned out that there's over one hundred. And again they they they they had a lot of heavy machine guns among them and like uh and cruiser like squad weapons. Is because you know, like we talked about a moment ago, they fortified the island and as a patient of a Vietnamese assault which never came. But you know, these uh, the Khmer Rouge, whatever you can say about these guys, were were incredibly game fighters. This pitched battle ensued between the Marines and the camer Rouge. The UH, the the uh. The crew of the Mayagas was safely conveyed uh back from this fishing boat like back to the Mayagas itself and uh and and they were they were they were safely conveyed away from the battle space. But uh, when it became clear that the crew had been released and was safe it uh the Marines were ordered to withdraw and they began uh affecting a tacticle withdraw like a fighting or tree as it were. But the Marine commander on the ground there was two beachheads at the eastern. The commander of the easternmost UH operational area, he conveyed, like, look, unless we're like wrapped, unless we're rapidly reinforced, like we're gonna be overrun. So UH they reinforcem or some instead have been called off. Were then directed back to Ko Tang to reinforce the Marines on the ground. You know this uh in this kind of chaotic withdraw that ensued, there was a machine gun team of UH three marines that uh in this kind of craggy they in this kind of craggy area, like on the beach itself, like just outside of the ever kind of shrinking perimeter. You know, they'd uh they'd set up a UH an ad hoc machine gun nest and they'd been left behind in the wake of the withdrawal. And UH one of the one of these guys platoon mates had said on board the shopper, like, you know, there's there's at least three men on the ground there. For some reason, this wasn't this wasn't a biden And I realized, like in the middle of a hot alz, like in the midst of a firefight. I mean, I'm sure, things are confused, but this, uh, as it happened, these guys were left behind, managed to radio a passing US naval vessel and apparently, uh, some intelligence officers said it's probably like a Kremiere Rouge trick, and there like, I mean, it seems ridiculous. It seems like something like a cordial old movie, like some Premier Ruge saying like Yo, g I Joe, you'll send them all. I mean, that's I'm not even light of a horrible situation with that. It seems to me by that point probably everybody's looking to cover their own ass as it became clear that, you know, they're like there head probably been men left behind. These three guys are left behind. This became this like a enduring kind of myth on most And I remember before I knew anything about the mayag As, before I'd like, I mean, I was always fancy by Vietnam, and I mean ever since I could read, I was reading about, you know, about the cold warn things. But I knew this guy in the early nineties. Uh, he was kind of a sad guy. You know, he's kind of like the troubled Vietnam veda myth and lore you know, like he had a drug problem and stuff, but he he never became pretty tights like we worked together, like we delivered pizzas together, you know. And he he'd he I talked about Vietnam and he was really into the Pow Mia movement, you know, and I kind of just looked at him, was like a sad guy who was troubled by the war and other things. But he kept coming back to Ko Tang and saying, you know, they left guys behind, you know in Cambodia. You know that means they left other guys behind, and like, uh, like, I'm not saying he was right about all these things he claimed, but he wasn't just like talking shit, you know, like and he that's this. As it turns out, the uh, these guys were a bannon on Ko Tang. That that fed a lot of the speculation that the that the kind of Pow movement you know, derived uh their claims from. But it came out years later. These three guys and there were his kids, I think, like and they were like I think they were like eighteen nineteen and twenty one, respectively. They were on the island for a week, and uh, the Khmer Rous realized that like some of their rights stores had gone missing, and that you know, bootprints uh that obviously weren't uh you know, camier rous sandals were found and the cammree was tracked these guys and they found them. They were uh shuttled to the mainland. Uh you know, I mean, god knows what they were subjected to do by commie us tortures. But after several days, uh they were looking to the jailers. Uh they were beaten to death with the butt end of a B forty rocket launcher. I mean, I can't even imagine that man like being being uh being being abandoned uh by uh by your own forces and then falling into the hands of the caremure rouge like literally on this like god forsaken island. I mean, that's that's beyond that. A lot of stuff frightens me, like at my age and frankly had some kind of awful experiences, but that that, I mean, I find that there's like horrifying even even to think about, you know, and their kids.
Speaker 1: But they should their kids, they should be home in the driveway working on a car they just bought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, man. And it's like, of all people of being captured by the Communer Ruge and one most horrifying thing I can think of, because like it's not just like the Commune Rouge really were animals, Like it's not. I mean like it's that's like, yeah, it's not, it's not something just like bullshit propaganda or something like it. I mean, there's a lot of cases where you know, if if you're if you surrender, if you're captured at war, I mean you're you're dealing with that ponent, you're dealing with an opt for that are just guys like you, like in the case of the Communit Rouge, like these these guys were fucking barbarians.
Speaker 1: But the uh yeah, they they seem like the the descendants of the the Republicans in the Spanish Civil War.
Speaker 2: Yeah they yeah. And there's just there's like horrible stuff like the there actually were like documents and says like cannibalism just like terrorized people and stuff, and like they you know, they it's it's one of the few wintances again we're kind of the truth is the truth is worse than a lot of the propaganda that came out, but it but it's also too like I think I think a lot of this was suppressed, uh for the reasons I said. It was like this, it was this bizarre, like messy political and diplomatic situation relating to the you know, uh the intrigues incident of the son of Soviets split. Uh. You know, a lot of the uh, the ongoing hangover as it were, from the Vietnam conflict. And you know, like I said, just even the way it's treated as bizarre, that gets in the fact like this was just uh, this was just uh, you know, it's just kind of like as an afterthought, like slapped on to the Vietnam War Memorial as all. And this was you know that this happened sort of in theater and sort of you know, within the same decades, So you know, why not just uh, you know, why why not just treat it as part of like the same uh, part of the same kind of like nucleus of uh of of conflict events. But it's yeah, I that's the uh, that's the that's that's the story of Ko tank Man and that's the uh and that's the time. That's the uh. I believe, and I've written about this in my fiction, Like I believe that uh, I believe the US engage. I believe US forces engaged the Commune Rouge like fairly regularly. I don't see how they could not have. Like they were you know, they were running around Cambodia for years prior to nineteen seventy and then in the aftermath, you know, even uh, even when even when the US and China like came to terms and uh, the US began cultivating the camer Rouge against uh, you know, the pro Vietnamese element. There's no way that there's no way that American soldiers did not engage the Khmer Rouge in a hostile action in theater. But this is the only time it happened above board. I mean, this was like a real firefight, you know. And that's you know, like I said it, uh I. I I try and raise the people because I think as a historical writer, I think it's important, you know, out of the memory of people like these guys who were there. But it's also it shows you how it shows you how strange the Cold War got really after sixty nine to seventies seventy one, when it became really like a three way kind of contest with the United States, kind of like nominally allied with China in strategic terms, you know, in pursuing the kind of interdependence the results of which you know, we we kind of see today in the global structure. But it's it was far from, uh, it was far from some kind of like clean alliance and uh, you know, the the way what the Chinese view is kind of sound policy in terms of how to intrigue against others is incredibly weird. You know, like and I'm telling you, like creating this incident for the sake of trying to exploit uh, you know, the the ensuing chaos for some kind of political and diplomatic cachet that might seem crazy like the Western mind, that's exactly the way the Chinese think. If you read about the the pointless border war that Mau provoked with with Moscow mal basically uh risked and nuclear war with the Soviet Union, said he could go around uh humiligating version ev you know, for a few weeks and acting like, uh, he'd scored some kind of victory so that domestically, like you know, he could shore up his kind of fledging personality called credibility, and like, no, like even a totally unhanged Western uh, you know, tyrant like wouldn't think that way or wouldn't do that. But that's that's the kind of stuff characteristic of the regime and from I mean in the lifetime of people like me and yourself. I mean, yeah, the the kinds of chaos of of mau when in the aftermath is something we didn't experience firsthand. But even uh, even even Dang was kind of credited as like this great reformer or and this kind of moderating influence. I mean, the stuff that he uh would orchestrate in order to in order to UH advantage himself or advantage you know, pet King in his eyes uh visa VII the West. It doesn't it doesn't make any sense. So that was kinna last tragic chapter in the history of UH. What wasn't oil China? There's a I mean, there was, there was the Chinese, there was the there was the Sino Vietnamese border War in seventy nine, and there was again too, there was the there's the occupation of Cambodia. You know, from seventy nine until until the wall came down.
Speaker 1: China, Chinese and Vietnamese forces fired on each other like four years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, and that's why one of the really inzing things, you know, Obama was one of the last things he did in office was a he he lifted any remaining restrictions on a military tech transfers to Vietnam. Like the the people in the Pentagon aren't conceptually illiterate, and there's very few of them who aren't. Uh they're they're like literally fucking morons. But the they they realized that Vietnam's like an essential hedge against the People's Republic, and it is, and Vietnam has got a real comic capability. I mean, there are hard people, they've got a real military, and Vietnam's comparatively huge country. It's got like sixty million people, you know, like people think it's now that people think it's like like Americans, they think all these countries like the size of Albania or something like a Vietnam's and a as a as a geotragic hedge. Yeah, Vietnam is incredibly important and uh an alliance that would make sense. And now that leave some of the pressure of America having to you know, kind of play between Tokyo and Seoul, you know, which is increasingly you know, causing consternation the in in in relationship with both countries as well as their relationship to China. Like what would be intelligent would be to do the cultivate UH countries like Vietnam and some kind of like American version of of of what the Russians are trying to college with the Shanghai Qui Operation Organization. Like like, not only is NATO like destabilizing and pointless, but it also says not how you structure military alliances in the twenty fourth century, it's like structurally obsolescent as well as as well as politically anachronistic. That's gonna subject another show, but I hope I didn't. I didn't like bore people with just kind of like relaying the Battle of Ko Tang, like I said, I yeah, yeah, and I next time what I want to get into, I want to get in to the President Carter's modernization of the command and control aspect of america strategic nuclear forces and how you know, the advent of AI as well as UH. You know, the the onset of strategic parody. We're in the window of decision making, you know, was reduced in some cases, you know, to five to eight minutes or something, and it had just been accepted for a time that the president would die immediately and have been a nuclear war. It's a strategic air command and would be acting as the Article two executive. I mean that's parently and constitutional number one number two. It's just like, ethically, that's not right. You don't like the United States Air Force and you know, uh, strategic air commands that then existed, they don't. They don't get to decide you know, uh, like who lives and who dies. They don't. They don't get to decide, you know, when and how we wage war. But also it raised a fascinating issue. I'm what I was telling people too, Like guys like Harlan Ellison, you know, when they were you know, Harlan Ellison actually came over with the idea for sky in It and like James Cameron like ripped him off, like Cameron rips off everything. But this wasn't just like some kind of horror movie trope. There the removal of human decision makers from strategic nuclear war fighting. That was a real thing, and by the nineteen eighties it was becoming and uh, when there's when with a lot launching even on warning when when when the window of decision making temporarily speaking, becomes so narrow that even launching on warning is too late, Like what do you do? It's like, well, you know, you defend yourself by finding ways to code variables that indicate, you know, that that indicate imminent assault like before though you know, before there's even like conventional like launch indicators and mobilization indicators. But then it's like okay, but then like when do you attack when there's like a ten percent probability of assault, when there's like a fifty anything over fifty percent, then when there's ninety percent, when there's anything over one percent, you know, and it's some not you know that that's a kind of like machine thinking that becomes inevitable, you know, when technology it becomes totally just positive as outcomes, but also uh, the amount of data that has to be managed in a strategic landscape like that, like humans can't do it, you know. So we were looking at a situation where the Cold War endured, like machines would have been the decision maker, you know, and uh, you'd have to hope that you know, the the coded uh indicators you know, were correct or at least I couldn't be spoofed, you know, by by man or by fate. But that yeah, that's I I'll save it for the when we get into that. But that's that's that's kind of the that's kind of the key feature of the Carter presidency, I think, and I mean I I'm a lot friendly to Carter and uh, you know the way I I view the his epoch and most people. So well, we'll get into some of these strategic nuclear command and control issues, some of these wartech issues, and and and we'll deal with like Carter the man himself in the next episode. And like again, I really really appreciate people supporting the series, and I wanted to give Ko Tang it's due and the you know, the men were there. It's due because, like I said, it's it's something nobody really talks about. And that's part of the reason for these series, so that we can deep dive into stuff that people don't really talk about in more mainstream sources. So that's all I got. And thank you, Pet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course I'm too quick plugs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can find me on Twitter that probably that will probably change in the next few weeks.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 2: I'm on there. Again. You can find me at Real Underscore Thomas seven seven seven. I'm recording from my YouTube channel on Friday with my dear friend Carrie, and I'm gonna upload that next week sometime, so I'll make sure. I'll hype that everybody knows my YouTube channel. There's nothing near yet, but there will be is Thomas TV. You can find me on substack, which is kind of my permanent home. It's a real Thomas seven seven seven dot subseac dot com. I'm gonna relaunch a Telegram channel because everybody who supports us, they really like Telegram. I mean, Telegram really treats me badly, so I wasn't real keen to doing business with them again. But i will launch a channel for the sake of the subscribers and our friends. But I'm going to do that sometime this weekend and i'll plug that when we're back on there. But right now I just have like a private channel, but I'm going to relaunch a public one. That's all I got.
Speaker 1: Awesome, man, So the next time, thank you, Thomas. Today happens to be the fiftieth anniversary of the signing of the Paris Piece Accords, which ended the Vietnam War, and we couldn't think of anyone better to have on to talk about that than somebody that is gracing me with his presence on my podcast and going through a Cold War series right now.
Speaker 2: So how do I'm doing? Well? Thank you? Well? I I appreciate you inviting me.
Speaker 1: Here's the first question I want to ask, because I was I was writing questions on the last episode we did and I realized the episodes were for the end. So did public opinion help in ending the war?
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, because the internal situation in any state, any modern state, I mean, whether you're talking about a nominal you know, multi party democracy, I mean in the terms that that signifiers utilizing the Cold War, or whether you're talking about you know, the Communi states of the Eastern Bloc, in a in a state in the general mobilization especially, but in any in any any policy, ongoing policy, initiative, or structure that directly affects the population, like public opinion is impactful on that policy, you know. Not despite the kind of mythology of democratic peace theory or whatever, there are not states that exist that are just totally in odds to the body politic, Not any government in existence, nor has there been in the modern era that just has absolutely no mandate. You know, it's it's completely immune to public opinion. That's not nothing to work. But what I was saying a moment ago, and I'm going somehow with this is not just like a old guy tangent. I'm listening to Michael Savage and he's got Colonel McGregor on. I know that people don't. I know some people are just like doing McGregor either. That's not the point. Savage kept on talking about the Russians kind of foibles in Ukraine and saying this is like Vietnam when you know the Pegon just wouldn't really fight the war, and McGregor was credit corrected Savage. McGregor's like, look, man, like Vietnam is a fucking scalpunt. We killed the amount of people in Vietnam. It was not just like pussy footing around like hey, we want to be you know, we gotta gotta playtate world opinion. We we don't want to like killing Vietnammese. It was I mean, part of my language. It was a fucking gook scalp punt. Okay, but you don't win wars just by going out and killing as many people as possible. You don't win wars by you know, manufacturing dead people. If you did, I think throughout ninety forty two that Wehrmacht hit something like a fifteen to one burn rate in like major engagement with the Red Army. Okay, I mean is did does the Greater German Reich it exist today? Didn't win the wars? It killed a whole lot of people in Russia. No, But the issue with public opinion was that it wasn't so much like the court history is two things. It's what Michael Samadge said. It's that, oh, America wasn't really fighting the Vietnam War, you know, or was doing brutal things. But you know these things were you know, not the war was there wasn't a general mobilization in place, and you know, America wasn't really applying force the way it should. That's part of the narrative. The other part is, well, the Vietnam War was wrong, so all these people rose up and just forced you know, evil mister Nixon to stop what he was doing. Like nothing like that happened. And you know, seventy percent of combat infantrymen and non were guys who enlisted, you know, and the remaining thirty percent and probably you know, uh, there there was some truth of the fact that there was like a poverty draft, you know, when when the standards are kind of lessened on on uh you know, who who would be you know, considered. I can't remember the classification scheme was, but I mean there was some truth to that. But this idea that there was either this draft revolt or America just became like a country of peace micks and and that ended the war. But what it did do I mean Johnson was in fact lying to the American people and what he was saying was not making any sense, and he was getting on TV directly concert thing mc namara on top of that, unlike uh, you know, the New Dealers War, where Roosevelt would literally have you arrested if you were a media guy who criticized him his policy or you engage in fetism, which constantly was everything from saying maybe the war is not a great idea to reporting on you know, America actually like losing in the field. I mean that this I'm not meaning this up like this is it compared during the comparing the the view of UH or the orientation of the executive branch. You know, in ninety one to forty five and from ninety six about to seventy three, it's like night and day. You know, like if you think Roosevelt when it's tolerated, you know, Amby Hoffman, UH or some or or some counterparty like w Pelly, you know, holding one hundred thousand PAN protests waving National Socialist flags in Washington, Like you're dead fucking wrong, Like why this was allowed? And like why this kind of nonsense? You know, why why why cronkite was allowed to be embedded at I Corps and UH at long been when UH, you know NLF like sappers were assaulting it. I mean that's a whole other issue. But people didn't realize something was wrong. There was major attrition in Vietnam, like young Americans were dying in large numbers, and it was it was clear that it was clear that John's was lying. Okay, Nixon, who swept the country as we've talked about and Creighton Abrams to replace Westmorland. Nixon was in fact winning the war, I believe in military terms, I mean the political side of it was totally different well in country as well as domestically, and as regards the internal situation in the United States. Nixon did do some foolish things. However, like we talked about in our last episode, you know how Kissinger and Nixon they they kind of weighed his personal war in Melvin Laired, the Secretary of Defense, and that's not what you do if you're the president. And then they went it was publicly layered of like leaking the secret bombing of Cambodia looked like, first of ball, why are you admitting to that? Because that's terrible. Pr Secondly, like why you like having this knockdown, drag up flight in public with Melvin Laired, Like how does that look? Okay? So even people were enthusiastic about, you know, kind of the policy shift of Nixon create Abrams and all of that, They're like, okay, why why are all these conspiratorial intrigues happening? What exactly is going on? You know? And then the media really you know, the I'm sorry to feel like if I'm if this seems scatter shop, but I'm trying to present a linear narrative the best I can. You know, the Kent State maybe a lot of people know this. I don't think they do though. You know, the Kent State shooting of the students the National Guard, that pro that was a protest of the assault on Cambodia. Okay, you know late in the war in nineteen seventy there is my people freaked out about the assault in Cambodia. Is because to them it indicated a wider war. In a sense, it was, but Nixon was not lying. Vietnamization was well underway. There was an active disengagement. The Army of the Republic of Vietnam was taking on the brunt of combat duties, and Cambodia was key. And we'll get into that if you know you're willing to. When we got the time, Nixon really kind of neutralized the strategic uh game of Warsaw Pact in Vietnam by affecting the Sun that Soviets split wherein China and their proxy, the Khmer Rouge, came to be totally at odds with the Soviet Union and Hanoi, and an active proxy war between communist superpowers developed. Uh, you know, between the Vietnamese and the Khmer Rouge. I mean, whether the Commuter Rouge were evil or not. I mean that that's another issue. But point being, there was complexities to widen the war in Cambodia that couldn't really be finessed in pr terms. And the fact Nixon what have been going on with him because during Layered it seemed rotten. These things kind of conspired to really turn public opinion against what was underway. So yeah, I mean I realized I was a long winded, in some of a scattershoff, but yes, there was a huge impact. It was one part the anti war movement, which was in part I mean it was a fifth column regardless, but in part of actually was funded and organized by UH agents of Warsaw Pact intelligence services. There was a hostile media apparatus, even those that weren't even those aspects of national media at warn't hostile Johnson who did a lot of incredibly stupid and kind of incomprehensible things allowing media to truly be embedded in the field with combat elements in a war like Vietnam I with free fire zones. I mean that that's literally insane. You know, it was inevitable even if something like mel I hadn't broken at some point, some newsmen would would have had raw footage of gis like wasting like women and kids. I'm not saying as American troops are evil or something at all. I'm saying like that's what happens in a free fire zone, okay, and in in good wars like Over one and two that happened also, but in Vietnam. Uh, going to the peculiar nuances of the strategic environment, that kind of thing happened in alarming earnest, if that makes any sense. But point being, Yeah, so some of this was some of this was self sabotaged. Some of this was kind of like the peculiar some of those people not really understanding like I mean, TV was still new then basically. I mean part of it was, uh, you know, especially Johnson, you know, who was a guy who was like born in nearly twentieth century and not really understanding things. Party was Johnson wasn't was fucking insane. Uh. Part of it was you know, the uh you had a you know, you had a you had a domestic situation that had been actually subverted, which was literally the opposite of you know, the situation the New Dealer was confronted, you know, when they mobilized for war. I mean it was uh on the top of that too. I mean there was there was incredibly dangerous things. But you know, sixty two was the Cuba crisis. Seventy three was the next major crisis in the Middle East, which I think in some ways was more dangerous nable Arch eighty three, Okay, But in the interim, you know you had, uh, there was five thousand Soviet military uh personnel on the ground in North Vietnam. You know, intelligence types. You know, some of these guys are training the northe the knees on SAM missiles and things. But uh, there's a there's you know, there was the constant fear, you know during these operations like Linebacker, are we gonna kill a bunch of Russians? And then you know what we're gonna is, what the what the fuck's that Crimlin gonna do? Then maybe nothing, or maybe they're gonna treat as an act of war. This was like incredibly dangerous stuff. And uh there's the ongoing you know issue in Europe where you know you had you know, you had uh you know, you literally had three hundred thousand US troops, uh those and those with the Red Army, the full the Gap and then the Rederman plane I mean, and and say nothing of you know, occupied the Lynn like it this. People don't realize, uh, I mean if you don't realize how, I mean you remember because you're old enough, and I do. I mean I didn't live through Vietnam, but you know, I do remember vividly the early eighties and being afraid of of uh of nuclear war. I mean, people don't realize like how how tense things were and in data capacity that was strewing with people's lives. And even even people who basically were patriotic according to the terms of you know, the era, and even people who weren't particularly anti government, there was a certainly like weirdness of the Cold War thinking. And it's like okay, like you know, even people who didn't have you know, teenage kids, at least some kid on their block gotten blown away, you nom or some relative of theirs. You know, they got this constant fear of like nuclear attack, you know it. Uh, the economy was going to shit, like despite people like Olivers don't tell you, like Vietnam didn't like make everybody rich, Like yeah, there's always war profiteers and Zelenski types, like there were five hundred years ago, and there were five thousand years ago. There weren't in the sixty eight or to day. Yeah, there were guys were profiting from the Vietnam War. But the Vietnam War was killing the American economy, you know, I mean like it was. These were not like good times. Okay, it's uh, that's one of the uh in America didn't really right itself until Reagan's second term. Honestly. I mean there's other contributing factors, you know, like the energy crisis and the need to like restructure uh, like certain aspects of America's uh of America's consumption energy consumption in order to would count from new realities. But it literally took like a decade and a half, like America like on fuck itself from Vietnam, like in terms of you know, the national economic profile. But seven it was all of those things. The big uh, the big issue with the Paris Peace agreements is people, Yeah go ahead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're you're talking about the economy. And they were almost literally doing two wars because not only are they paying for Vietnam, but now they have this war on poverty that they're having to print money over and so you of course you're going things are going to go to two ship because when you're also millions of social program come in, you're.
Speaker 2: Also throwing millions upon millions on millions of dollars to develop you know, ICBM systems that you know can be super hardened to withstand like first strike. You know, like you know, keep keeping be fifty two's constantly in the air, like with nuclear payloads, keeping three hundred thousand men in West Germany, you know, keeping uh, you know, developing and maintaining like a fleet of Minutemen missiles as uh, you know, as the primary deterrent you know, keeping uh keeping nuclear cable submarines in the war. Like this is unbelievable defensive. You know, like one of the reasons why like Reagan went all in to win the Cold War wasn't just because you know, he you know, he had like balls or something, or because he you know, he you know, he wasn't like a pushy like Carder or whatever, like dumb things people think today, And uh, look like America, America could waive the colder longer than Ivan, but America's running out of money to fucking do it too. You know, you can't you cannot sustain that, and definitely you're either gonna go to war or you're gonna face some kind of structural crisis like the Soviets did, and then the odds of war happening becomes exponentially more likely. I mean, you know that this idea somehow like America could have like it definitely you know, maintains like a six hundred ship navy. Uh, you know, could have could have continuously like fielded like you know Nora Dora weapons. Uh, you know, like the B two platform and uh, and you know, and and and and pursue you know, SDI which would have become necessary. I know, people just like like to talk about it. It's like I'm gonna pipe dream, you know, people like you know, mister Ted Kennedy and the Epoch. But it wasn't like Jerry Parnell said, like orbital space had the Cold War indor in the ninety nineties, like orbital space is going to become what naval warfare platforms were the strategic nuclear planning in the eighties. I mean, at some point the money would have run out, you know. You like again, it's they can't.
Speaker 1: That's also that's also why President Nixon ended Breton Woods. I mean it makes it easier if you get off the gold standard, then you can uh, you know, accelerate the money supply to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very much so. But it's also too he was genuinely worried. He was genuinely worried about about UH about about like a run on the gold resers I, which was like a real that was that was a real prospect, especially because it's like outside the scope and against with this in another episode. And I'm not an economist, but I do know I am something of an economic historian, and that I I like a basic conceptual picture of UH, of the about the structure of UH American economic policy changed, and just like how globalism kind of gradually became a reality, you know, and how the kind of information age you know, changed the way financial markets function wheever meets the road. And aside of all these things, you and I just raised the nineteen seventies. That was the dawn. That was what you're done of the information age. Okay, I mean you could say that like the kind of machines that like Turing machines were, I don't mean like that, I mean like the digital age. I guess I should say that the dawna that was the ninety seventies and things from from the nineteen seventies to now, things changed just rapidly, you know, and that that was altering the way business is done in the way like money is conceptualized, in my opinion, for better and for worse. I mean, it was, it was not. It was not all negative, although there aren't any negatives, but you know, the these kinds of punctuated, these kinds of punctuated changes are they they're their stresses, you know, like I they they they uh, they cause they make they make crises more probable of all sorts. So yeah, it uh, you know, but the the main uh what I kind of wanted to emphasize on, you know, I mean, like all things related to Vietnam even today, even though kind of the like the tamboo is no longer around the Vietnam War obviously as it was for you know when I was a kid and like when you were a teenager. I'm sure, but people there's still like ill understood's there's this idea of the Paaris peace talks. Like guys are kind of the mainstream, right, even some guys like on the dissident right, they do it. It's like, oh, well, Congress screwed Nixon over and just you know, cut off the money supply and you know, the tangible military aid to the Republic of Vietnam. You know, so the South can't defend itself, and you know, Hanoi was just rubbing its hands together and never meant to like abide the rules of the or the material express conditions of the peace agreement. It's not really true, you know. And then there's like other people who uh uh, you know, people on the left and kind of like Majama Storians. They just claim that like, well Nixon was just making you know, make a fool the American people and like pretending to accomplish peace, and that that's not true either. This was kind of a if you the view from Nixon and Kissinger and uh and across the aisle, you know, jop and and and the Hanoi leadership, like the Central Committee, the communist part of Vietnam, there's like a lack of shared premises written large and if you read the statements, uh, what Hanoi was saying to Cosvin Cosvin cos VN that's an acronym. It' says for Central offices South Vietnam. There was the anglicized acronym for the what amountse the Central Committee of the Viet Cong OKAY based in South Vietnam, and what they communicated to them was that in their view, what the ceasefire meant, or what the peace agreement meant, was that America would disengage that communists in South Vietnam, like former party members, Viet Cong suspects, you know, sympathizers all in Sundry, would no longer be treated as enemy combatants. A roadmap would be implemented as it were for what was supposed to be implemented in nineteen fifty four, you know, which was eventually you know, like countrywide elections, which never actually happened, in part because of the constantly you know, the Kazi changing regime in Saigon never allowed to happen. Like that is true, and they wouldn't allow to happen because it would have Vietnam would have gone. So I understand that completely. But Uh, the two regime in Saigon immediately after, uh, like the ink was dry. Uh. Basically like a major push happened in key areas, especially border territories like with with Cambodia, as well as the Quang Tray province. You know, key uh key key operational areas of communist uh control that were like strategically essential for them to be able to bargain from a position of strength and an advent of hostilities access logistically uh what they needed to in Cambodia. And when it became clear that the South was gonna was going to continue to you know, trying to annihilate when remained of the Viet Kong Uh, the Doris responded with conventional means, and their reasoning was always South Vietnam is not a sovereign country either, are not to Vietnams. Then North never accepted that. So their notion was well, kind of like the provisional Ira and you can say this is in bad faith. Their view was always, you know, we're, uh, we're gonna lay down our arms. But you've basically got to like allow like, you know, full representation the communist party, and you know you've got to you've got to give our people, you know, the quality of status at the polls, and uh you know added to that too. Obviously there's epistemological problem with communism because they claim that they're practicing a kind of science. And if you refuse to abide what they claim is the inevitable science of history, you know, which is like advancing socialism. You know, you're basically engaged in some kind of oppression of humanity in general. Like quite literally, this is like what they'd say, you know, whether you're talking about East Berlin while you're talking on Moscow, where you're talking about Prague, where you're talking about Vietnam. So there's like added just kind of like just added like inability to come to terms that like framed like uh, Hanoi's conceptual horizon. However, Nixon basically puts Saigon in as good as stead as it could have been in terms of political legitimacy and in terms of bolstering their case in the court of world opinion, which actually mattered then in a way it didn't it doesn't now. And uh, the nineteen seventy two offensive, colloquially called the Easter of by like you know, military geeks and uh, like historians on Sundry, that was stopped in its tracks. I mean, American air power were devastated North Vietnamese armed columns, but the other public of Vietnam actually stood and fought, and like, I think I made the point some we back that they get a bad rap, you know, because they're always kind of panned as like this cowardly forest like crooks and like anyway, full mill jag at the only time you see the Arvin on screen, it's some Arvin captain and he's wearing like some faggety like fucking silk scarf and he's literally pimping some girl to the Marines, like hey, you want you want to boom boom and like and that, Like you literally never see a portrayal of them as like anything but like the scum to eggs or like pussies, and like that's not fair. I mean, I'm not a Vietnam veterans, so like, I'm sure those guys had their own extra grind with them people, But I'm talking the historical record, just like as a dude who like writes about his ortal topics. There's nothing else like the seventy two offensive and the fact that it was stopping its tracks like a quits the army the Republic of Vietnam. Okay, that's not all airpower. Okay, so yeah there's that, but that's that's kind of the way to understand the Paris Piece agreement. It wasn't just kissing, dripping duplicatus or Nixon, you know, being a snake or I mean, what would Nixon game from that anyway? Like because all if any and who knows that about Nixon knows like Nixon's a guy who like he's a rare American who lived historically in absolute terms, like all Nicks never thought about was his like contribution to history. Like Nixon never ever ever would just like it, just like you know, pull him on her ruse and said, like the hell with Tangan, I don't care, you know this, I'm just gonna you know, this is how I'm gonna like try and shore up by Craig, like and I missed the Watergate like that this nonsense, but it but it's also you know, the Sino Soviet split Nixon. If you read what Nixon wrote after the war and post Watergate, Nixon disappeared for about five years, but then he made it come back as a best selling author. And as the Cold War heated up again, you know, people became very thirsty for serious analysis on on geo's strategic things. And Nixon really had the Soviet Union's number in a way remarkable, and he wrote a lot about why he went to China, and he said, like, look, you know, I basically realized in nineteen fifty three, you know, as the steelmate in Korea set in, like we had to decople pig King from Moscow at all costs. I mean, yeah, we have to make compromises there. Like yeah, you know a lot of people would suffer in places like Cambodia because of that. You know, you can say it's callous, but Nixon was totally open about that. But had that not happened, the Communists would have won the Cold War absolutely. You know, you'd have a communist world in America, this kind of garrison of state that existed, you know, and had an ability to protect power kind of like in nineteenth century terms, like you know, throughout like the western hemisphere, probably as far as Greenland or something. But it would, you know, it would it would be this kind of like island to miss, like a hostel like red World. Okay, and that was a very real possibility had things that developed what they did. But in the more immediate capacity, uh, Nixon realized he had the court now when he did, because that neutralized that, they neutralized that the strategic advantage of of Soviet victory by proxy and Vietnam because uh, he literally had a communist super state on the border of like you know, their client in Vietnam, and uh, the Khmer Rouge would stand with China no matter what. You know, it didn't matter that, you know, they they'd uh, it didn't matter that they'd clicked up with the Soviets and the Chinese and the National Liberation Front and Hanoi to fight the Americans when uh, when things the Commie never liked the Vietnamese anyway, and when things went bad between Hanoi and or between them Moscow and pet King, Uh, the Kremer Rugs would always be all in with with China and it's will okay, So you had Nixon managed uh you know what what what what did the Soviets are like gained in Vietnam. It's like okay, Yeah, like we talked about Vietnam was uh that was where that was that that was that was where the line in the sand was drawn. You know, when when the Free World as it was called, you know, like fought you know, the Communists in open combat, it didn't matter. It could have been anywhere, but that's just where it was. There was a political fight, it wasn't a struggle for resources and territory. And yeah, they Congress won that. But it's like okay, so uh, now, you know the Soviets that basically like this kind of they've got they've got this, they've they've got this appendage beliaguered by you know, hostile kremie ruge Cambodia and like hostile you know, communists China do it's north And that is really interesting too because obviously this at that time the trifect uh that truly ruled the Soviet Union in my opinion was Usenov and drop off in grom Eco. And you know, uh, the Soviets hedge against China was India. You know, that's something like the true military interdepensula between Moscow and in India. And uh, that's when Kissinger went all in with uh with Pakistan, you know, in the India, the Indo Pakistan or it was very much a Cold War proxy resultant directly from the writing on the wall. The Soviets detected from what's happening with Nixon and China. And then when that I mean that result incredibly brutally, and then the Soviets pushed uh in Angola like immediately after. That's that's why the Povias shifted to Africa. That Africa we can win, you know, like what's the West have you know, They've got Rogez Rogez is going down, you know, they got South Africa South as a paraya, you know, and plut like they wanted to fight the South Africans, you know, and then fifty thousand Cubans showed up to fight the s A d F, you know, and it was, hey, we're you know, look at look at look at this, look at this racist depressor state, you know, like we're we're uh, you know, the the Warsaw Pack, you know, believes in in liberating people, you know, in in the global South or the colored world, take your pick. But that, I mean, all these these things are just these things are as incidental. It was approximately caused by Vietnam. I mean, it's proximately caused by the fact that Nixon and Kissinger were able to decouple Paking from Moscow, like in absolute terms, you know, I mean, I you know, and it that the point that that riff could never be repaired I mean that that's remarkable. There would have been I mean oing to the vagaries of Mao, and I think just things in trip to the Chinese national and cultural character, as well as just kind of racial differences and in geostrategic issues. I think, I think the sin of Soviet allions have been problematic going forward, but it definitely would have held together until at least, you know, America splash. NATO was like vanquished within for you know, the Oriasian land mass and the Soviets and the shotgown is going to handle. Ran says later, it always entirely to Nixon and Kissinger that the Santa Soviets split was that freshness and that permanent. I firmly believe that if that was like to kind of like why widely off topic and he wanted to focus more specifically and concretely in the piece of Sorry, but I thought it was important to.
Speaker 1: Well, here's one thing I wanted to bring up about the accords. Yeah, most I would say a lot of mainstream historians would say that southeas Vietnam was basically pressured into accepting an agreement that basically ensured that it was going to collapse.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think there's a political problem here. Like we're used to I mean, we're we're not been so wrong would characterize it. We're accustomed to the Department of State just kind of issuing these ridiculous statements that nobody could possibly derive anything from. But like gross offense. I mean in terms of like you know, the foreign regimes that directed that, Like in the case of Vietnam, there was a very it was a very delicate minuet. I mean, first of all, I mean, like I said at the Assets discussion, you know, we killed a huge amount of people in North Vietnam, I mean in the south, but particularly I mean we these were not people who had warm feelings towards America, you know. I mean, this was a brutal war with race overtone was frankly okay. Secondly, like I said, this wasn't clear cut. I mean, arguably, it's always ambiguous if you're talking about national frontiers, and you know, like I know, people talk like, you know, the borders of Ukraine are like absolutely sacred, you know, and like more holy than you know, like some some prom queen's virginity or something or that, Like you know, the state of Poland is a sacred thing. I mean. But aside from like the garbage of that, the the status of Vietnam actually was genuinely ambiguous, you know, and the succession of governments America really kind of mishandled that. You know. It's like, okay, I mean, you know, you had a guy like DM who straight up you know, who straight up whacked because it was pretty clear he was just gonna go all in and say like, hey, look ala lala, like a national election, you know, basically, and I think him, being in the kind of hustler that he was, was looking to carve out some kind of it's I king of space, uh, in the regime, you know, for for him and those like himself, you know. But he obviously, you know, America wasn't going to tolerate that. But you know, their successors, you know, he had a guy like too who was completely a hard line on the Communists, but that that wasn't reasonable either, you know, and they had to come to terms somehow. And I believe Nixon's reasoning was you know, just strictly like in theater in terms of the military situation and how it impacted the delicate politics. As I said, if uh, if there'd been a normal uh political situation in America, and if you'd had you know, if if they're hadn't been like quite literally a coup against Nixon, if you hadn't had in Congress that you know, full of people who are essentially campaigning on, you know, building a career on you know, condemning the promoted evil of Vietnam war, had the true doctrine being a bite it as intended, I think South Vietnam could have basically held off a northern assaultant definitely, and as perverse logic. The body count was particularly as realized. You know, North Vietnam had been at war for decades, and this thing of the burn rate, they were losing a huge amount of military age males. I mean, at some point the enormans would not have been able to sustain that, you know, at some point unless you're talking about some unless you're talking about some crazy situation like the farc in Cambodia where you're literally talking about dudes like living in the jungle, not metaphorically literally you know who are like running running cocaine and dope and uh, you know, carrying on some alleged insurgency for fifty years, which probably more than anything. That's kind of like a cover for their little like narco trade and their bizarre kind of you know, anarchical primitives existence. Like you can't you can't just a you know, a revolutionary campaign for decades on decades, and we're not talking about a low intensity campaign like the p I RA and in Belfast. I mean even that is difficult. But you know, we're talking about you know, the North India's army was actually a crack army, and we're talking about combined arms assaults. You know, where mass numbers of men are dying. You know, uh where you know you're you're assaulting with uh, you're restulting with columns a T fifty four tanks. They have to be fueled, you know. Uh, they're being uh they're they're getting close air support from MiG seven teens that you know, with pilots, they have to be trained extensively, and when they die, they're hard. It's hard to replace them. You know, you're periodically, you know, your capital city is periodically getting like bombed into the fucking stone Age, you know what I mean, Like it does take its toll over time, you know what I mean and that, uh, I don't the vietnames initially thought it would probably take them to the nineteen seventy nine, nineteen eighty to win the war, like hannoy, I mean, And there is interesting talk because obviously anyone who spoke on the Central Committee like picked their language carefully, you know, as people doing government, but particularly governments at war and especially you know, the communist regimes the Cold War, you could tell these guys were nervous, like military and civilian alike, like look, basically, beyond nineteen eighty, all bets are off like translated and really win the lines like we can't sustain this indefinitely, you know. So there is that. But well, I think I did want to raise I made the point that in my opinion, and I'm not prilinologists, I don't speak Russian, but I do know something about the Soviet Union, and I believe firmly that the Soviet Union was that zenith when the shadow Executive was this direfect of u usnov Gramiko and and drop off and drop off really really had the United States's number, okay, and he under in a way that most Russians don't, in the way frankly most like Eastern bloc types didn't. And that's one of the reasons why he was so effective. And he very much understood that if you can really really fuck with, you know, the the internal situation of America and and carve out a genuine like single issue opposition on a matter of war and peace, you can really really use food bar their system. You know. That's kind of like America's weak point, just like Solidarity was like the weak point of these Iron Curtain regimes, and like its similar you know, uh, similarly structured things. You know. Solidarity of course was it was like it basically a Catholic social teaching movement that was at base, you know, like a labor union, you know, that was demanding what the party was was always promising but never delivering on. And that was like kryptonite to the you know, Marcus Lennon is Cadres that ruled you know it. Uh So, yeah, there was. It's kind of a perfect storm of things that made, you know, made the situation untenable visa the South Vietnam. But I also I mean, and again I want to well in the discussion just a bit, I got to come to the point again again because people like like Vietnam's is weird anominally you're this like unique and remarkable evil. You know, we talked about the reason I raised this with Cito, you know Scato, so all these days a treaty, the organization, the nineteen fifty four Dual Accords of Korea and into China, and the Truman doctrine, like this was entirely congruous with US policy after after the Second World War, like the cost of waiting a Second World War, among other things, was when these primitive as hell third world nations, which of those the true were primitive, like people living in huts, when they come unto assault by ivan, you go defend them, and your kids go defend them, and your tax dollars go defend them, and you lose those things. I mean that this was very well understood. You know. That was the Cold War that came to an end, in part because Watchington realized it wasn't tenable. Part was the revolution and military affairs, but part of it was just it took. It took thirty years for the damage brought by World War Two to be repaired and for these states like Korea to be built into like functional client states with a comic capability of their own. I mean, that's you know, I don't want to see what America could have done within the I'm not I don't think World War two gymen fought, obviously, but within the power of rationality if I'm if I'm Kennedy, or if I'm macnamara, or if I'm Nixon in sixteen, in February sixty nineteen to the office, like one of my doing sell these days to say, Okay, the Truman doctrine's off, the Cold War's off. We're not gonna defend Vietnam. We're not not pre commitments. You know, we may not even defend West Berlin. I don't know. Because war is bad and just people don't like it and it's messy and people die. I mean, like what is the other people that should have been done? You know, I mean that's arguably that's why it was incredibly it's side of the fact, don't genocide your own civilization. And it was incredibly stupid to wage World War two because this was the result, you know. I mean, Okay, well now you get no not now you get to fight ivan for the rest of the planet. I mean, you know, and that's what happened. So this was like nobody really explained to me. It's like it was good to wouldcinerate, you know, it was good to would cinerate you know, one hundred and many thousand people at Dresden. But the most evil thing ever was other than you know, the quote unte Holocaust was like blowing away like Vietnamese villagers at MELI. I'm not trying to be flipping because that's that's fucking horrible, Okay, Like both those things are horrible, but nobody can tell me, like why the ladder is like, you know, the Day of Miracle lost its innocence, but the form was just like something that like had to be done, you know, like it doesn't There's a lot of dishonesty about Vietnam. You know. It's kind of like it's kind of like the dishonesty of World War two and reverse, you know, like and this is faded because it's fad of misterical memory, but I mean you remember because you're a little, just a little than me. Like Vietnam is presented as like the worst war ever waged for like reasons no one can particulate, you know, like why like yeah, and the whole thing was very was very very cynical and ideologically German.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well, is that because everything after Nuremberg has to have a moral component to it. Yeah, if you have, if you apply to a moral component to anything, then if you start with the morality it's a good war, it's a bad war, then you can I mean, you're basically pulling at the heartstrings of Middle America, of Protestant America, church going America and around like the dog of course.
Speaker 2: But at my point is it was arbitrary, you know, and it's like the like it was, I realized why people were doing this, and I realized why this Fifth Column developed the way it did and why they focused on Vietnam. But in absolute terms, like this doesn't make any sense, you know, and like I said, Vietnam is exceptionalized like people, you know, the narrative presented by you know, people that are on COVID, people like Oliver Stone, you know, people in the era like Abbie Hoffman was that this is like kind of conspiratorial design. It's like, look, man, like the human doctrine is very clear, like America deployed and pretty much exactly the same way in in Korea and the Dominican Republic in sixty five in Bolivia, a rundown Shagwavara decades later in Nicaragua, and I'll sell it to or although obviously those weren't you know, those weren't deep employments. Like it's not like America abiding the Truman doctrine and you know, realizing I had to fight it still be a client regime to maintain credibility. I missed uh as as as the error strategic parody was imminent like that it's not something weird thing like hard to like difficult to decipher, like I you know, and again like nobody explained to me why like why why Like annihilating Europe uh and sarificing your son is like I'm on Guadalcanal is like awesome, but you know, like losing your son and I had drank or q son is like this great evil like when America lost its innocence. Like it's just it's just it's just stupid, and you know it's and it's beyond stupid.
Speaker 1: It's you know, well they just said that it it just really became a a trope that it this wasn't the war to fight, that there was nothing good about this War sixty eight. You know, even Cronkite is saying that the war can't be won.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and again too, like imagine, I mean there were but think about this, like imagine in nineteen forty three. Imagine after you know what, the United the USR didn't meet the Wehrmachten combat until forty three, and they got their asses kicked the casserine pass. Like imagine if Walter Winschall had gone on the radio and said, mister Roosevelt's a liar, World War two can't be one. You know, victory of the access is imminent. Like dude would have been arrested, have not disappeared, you know what I mean. Like it's it's it's it's a joke. But you can't make this up, you know, like the my actics was just some like normal occurrence or just like sound journalism. And again, I mean Americans did this weird idea. Like I said, the two kind of most puzzling myss to me because it's otherwise like intelligent people you know, who present this these things I'm about to raise. You know, it's not just like dumb people who were creating worldships. They've heard It's like the guys who say with Michael Savage did I mean Savage isn't smart, but the arts marketing to say it is like, oh, America was like just pusty footing around in Vietnam and we killed them like three million people and it was literally like a fucking scalpont. Yeah. Yeah, I'm not like saying that butt shade on on on the Vietnam Army. I've got a lot of respect for them guys and I but the but I mean, look, man, it's real, like we we killed a fucking huge amount of those people and we were being like we were we were being like we're doing like cowboys shit around. It's you know, like so it's like, don't pretend that, like, you know, don't pretend like killing millions of these fucking people with like firepower with that was purpose to fight the Soviet Union, like it was like something like low key thing that was like not not real war. But also the like when people claim like Vietnam it was just like a stupid war, it's like, look, I mean, like I said, part ways the mirror stand on this. You know, like you don't you know, you don't fight you didn't fight wars in nineteen sixty eight, you know, to like access to like more like grain reserves, you know, or like you know, control the ability to like you know, ship like silk out of out of out of out of the fucking you know, out of China, back to back to Europe or something. You know, Like it didn't matter where Vietnam was. You know, that's where the line is, say, was drawn. That's where the Reds pushed, you know, and if you're gonna if you're gonna win the Cold War, like wherever the Reds push. It might be Bolivia, it might be Iran, it might be Vietnam, it might be Angola, like it might be it might be West Berlin. Like that's where you fight them. You know, Like the issue is like who's gonna you know, the color was fought in every in every aspect of conceptual political life, you know, like economically, like culturally, like technologically and militarily you know, you know, you can like pick and choose like where you fight, you know, and that's and plus like wars like a like we talked about war rihves like the seasons. I mean, that's that's the problem with clouds, of which is victims like taking the kind of this sort of like like like logical extreme it becomes a g irrational like you not like you don't just like go to war like affect like policy ambitions by other means, you know, like war rives like the seasons, and there's about irrationality to warfare absolutely and warf is a rational process the way it's fought. But like you don't just go to war because it's like I you know, I can't. I don't like I don't like the trade arraignments that of country. Why I know I'm gonna launch a massive assault on them like that. That's that's not how things work. And that I said, like I want to sell you my house. Maybe if I go to your house and like beat the ship out of you, like that'll help me like get a better deal. I mean it's like not, that's not how people think, you know, Like that's that's not like things are done, you know, like and it's not I realized that's like sounds but you know, the uh, you know, this is a very important point. And that's one of the things that's why as that race sorel It's not just because I mean, like ideas an aesthetics and things in the way like people view like labor and the way identitarian things in political life. I mean, he deals with those things in intelligent ways, that is to people like us. But it's like ontological view of like conflict, Like this is something that happens, like it's not this rational thing. It arrives like it's like why you find like a girl attractive. It's like why. It's like why, it's like why certain symbols like take root, like during cultural epox It's like it's it's like why winter comes. Where at war? Now, you know, war arrives. I mean that I realize that was a bit far afield. Yeah, I think that's important. I mean, in none doesn't regards to Vietnam, but in the case of Vietnam, it's particularly kind of like neglected that you know, Yeah, we'll go ahead.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Oh, no problem. Well we're coming up on the hour, so let me end with this, because I know you could probably go on a little bit about this. The common trope even till today, is that the United States lost the Vietnam War. What what is your opinion when you hear somebody say that, what thoughts come into your mind?
Speaker 2: I mean, I agree with John Paul Van. For those who don't know, Van was a really interesting guy and a very troubled guy. He he had kind of like a horrible upbringing, like mom was literally like an alcoholic prostitute, like didn't know his father. Joins the Army Air Corps, gets train as a pilot. World War Two ends before he sees action. When the Air Force man an independent service, he wanted to stay in the Army, so he became an infantry officer. Long story short. He commanded a company and then a ranger battalion in Korea, and David Hackworth, the young David hacker was under his command, and Van became as like whole badass. Okay, he had problems with alcohol, He got into shit with an underage girl. I mean, typical like warrior type. It was his own worst enemy, but like a really brilliant soldier. And when he left the service he was one of the before his last kind of role in the uniform, he's one of the first guys deployed the mcavee Okay militarysisans comand Vietnam in nineteen sixty two. And the reasoning there that we talked about, there's more much a Special Forces war, you know, counterinsurgency direct action, identifying cadres and eliminating them. Okay, sixty four. After two years at MCVEE, Colonel Van retires. He becomes this independent like defense consultant. Now lo and behold. A year later, this like massive build up happens and Van is like, what the hell are you doing? And Van so lit of these friends in the Pentagon. So he was able to get back to Vietnam as a civilian, and he ultimately died in nineteen seventy two and in a shopper crash. But he Van wrote a book with a bright shining why, and this kind of put the Vietnam War in perspective for me in terms, and I was a kid, and I highly recommend it to anybody. Van said, basically what I what I what I say. At the outside of this discussion, I was basically borrowing from a Van, like, look, you don't like win wars wars on a cond of to see like how many people you can kill? You know, you don't like win a war by like racking up the biggest body counts or by winning all the battles. You know, you win wars by by annihilating the man's ability to fight, you know, but it's strung as infrastructure and his you know, and his ability to reconstitute and continted to wage war and by breaking his political will to wage war in any number of ways, and some constellations those things like wins the war. So no, America lost the Vietnam War. But Americans look at this like a football game or something like, hey, we killed more of those people, like okay, great man, like the the like again the Merrimont killed something like they're they're there. Burn ratio is in like fifteen to one. I'm not exaggerating, Okay, I mean does does that mean like does I mean that the German right won World War two because they killed twenty million Russians? I mean at uh, you know, And it's not it's not a football game like saying like hey at Aya drying, like we kicked more Vietnams. It's like they didn't really win or like whatever Westmoreland's cope was it? You know, the uh and and Van was absolutely right. The problem with America is that it set the firepower. That's something that America borrowed from the German General Staff of old. But with kind of without the kind of uh tactical flexibility and intelligence of the German General staff. It's like the American notion is that fire power solves all problems. It doesn't matter what it is. If you're throw in a firepower at it's gonna be defeated. Nothing can stand up to American combined arms. That's not true. I mean, yeah, I guess there's no if you if you throw it a firepower at Vietnam, you would continue to kill two numbers of people. They could probably turn it into like a non functional country. I mean, especially had one resorted to nuclear and biological weapons. But that's not You don't wage war to just annihilate countries, you know. That's why the Carthaginian peace has become like this mythological thing. I mean, I assume I'm not in general, but I do know something. So no, I mean America, America lost the Vietnam War because it it was I mean again too, it's like, what's your victory metric? I mean, like the minute, the minute, the minute those guys, those little yellow guys with with red stars on their pith helmets were running into Saigon with their with They're clashing the costs. They look too big for him. And these guys are running. They were they were double timing. These guys have been more at war for thirty years. Think about that. I mean that that's when that's when the hand only won that war. Okay, I mean so the uh the you know, I I look at that, and then if you look at them when I say that, because again, they got it's like some pride thing or something like like I'm making fun of their favorite football team or something, you know, And like I said, I've got I've got all. I've got huge respects for the Vietnam Army. Not just that's like my dad's generation, but they're like fascinating guys and like that's when the US Army was, Yeah, it's best. And plus it was was like cool you had like that was the only time like you had like weird in the army too. You had like weird like long hair eyes and like and like weird rednecky guys like like like crazy ass like like dude like huge afros, like fucking I'm like being silly, but like not you know, I'm like I really play about a trope. But I I'm the last person who's going to say anything nasty about the Vietnam Army, like those guys are like the best. They were like legit, like what was cool about America? Like legit, you know, but going around saying and it wasn't and it wasn't their fault, like they those guys that those guys fucked splindily like they performed very very well. But uh no, Marya, absolutely not when the Vietnam War.
Speaker 1: No, all right, well let's end it there. Thomas, please give your plugs and uh yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man. You can find me on substack, which is kind of like my permanent home. It's real Thomas seven seven seven dot substack dot com. I beag on Twitter again, but I get, I get. I get fucking nude from there like all the time. But I mean, if you look for me, like, you'll find me there, but it's don't be like sad. If like you look for me and I'm gone and I literally get banned from there like every like several weeks. I'm at uh real Capital r e A L underscore Thomas seven seven seven on Twitter. I am launching my YouTube channel man like, and I talked to my long suffering editor and like production guy and he's ready to go. So this weekend, I gotta record more with mister Pete here, and I've got to record my own pod and I got to record uh with a couple of dear friends of mine for the channel content that's gonna go to my editor and then that's gonna launch. So you can find my channel at Thomas TV on YouTube. I'll uh, I link it on my on my substack and I link it on my Twitter if you can't find it, but there's nothing there yet, but there will be in like a week. Yeah, like like literally in a week, like right around the first of right on the first week and during the first week in February. That's what I got. Oh and my my second book in my steel Storm series just drop. You should get that at Imperium Press. It's imperium press dot org. The book is steel Storm two. It's the second one of five. It's it's uh it's Frank Herbert style science fiction. And I think, uh, I've gotten over wrongly positive feedback on it. I wouldn't keep writing them. So yeah, and thank you for that, everybody, and really, really really I'm honored by that. But yeah, that's all I got, man,