Speaker 1: It's time for our strange science. Strange. It's like weird science, but strange.
Speaker 2: All right, this is there's a couple smelly stories for good reason in our strange science today. I asked earlier, what is your opinion? You a morning shower er a nighttime shower er, because science says one is better than the other.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, Trucker Bill, great job. Anyways, I shower at night to wash the dirt off, sleep real nice, and then shower in the morning so I can do my hair all nice, plus watch the night sweats off and in case I have a nightmare about your guys show. Anyways, science is always wrong.
Speaker 1: Have a good day. Well, I haven't even told you what the science says yet.
Speaker 3: Hey garyto here, Hey, Yeah, I'm usually if I'm not working, I'll take a shower in.
Speaker 2: The morning, right when I'll wake up ready for my day.
Speaker 4: If I'm working on a working day, as soon as I get home from work, I take a shower.
Speaker 1: And I never take a shower at night.
Speaker 4: I don't know why, but it's either morning or after work.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, it's because you're uh, maybe a stink after work?
Speaker 5: Hi, Gary and Shannon Scott Here in Topanga.
Speaker 1: Ny Scott night shower, always night shower.
Speaker 5: That's when i'm dirty. I'm not dirty in the morning unless I've been dirty all night. So why would you take a shower in the morning. I work all day, I'm dirty, I take a shower, I get clean, I get in bed, I get up in the morning, and I go. Don't have to worry about taking a shower. Okay, great question, Thanks guys, great show.
Speaker 1: Keep it up. I don't know if it's a great question.
Speaker 4: Hey, Gary, this is DM or beside. Hey, I'm primarily a morning shower. Three reasons. One it wakes me up. Two, your bed is.
Speaker 1: Not as clean as you think it is.
Speaker 4: Ree, What if you end up having sexonvill the night or before you get up in the morning for work.
Speaker 1: Are sure people have sex? I'm sure people. Somebody does.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Gar Beer, So glad you asked a question here about showering.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: I took a twist and a sudden stop showering about five years ago.
Speaker 4: I just jump in my backyard pool.
Speaker 3: Have you soap in like ten years?
Speaker 1: It's very liberating and very organic.
Speaker 2: Not to mention it cuts down on the cost of soap and shampoo and stuff.
Speaker 4: Like that.
Speaker 2: So if you take a shower in the morning, chances are you're gonna say it helps you wake up and start the day. But if you take a shower at night, they'll tell you you wash away the day literally in some cases, and helps you relax before you go to bed.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: A microbiologist on science alert dot com says, there is a clear answer to the question of which one is better. So the question is are you a morning shower er or a nighttime shower er or are you somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 1: Gary.
Speaker 3: For those that are in perimenopause or menopause, showering at night.
Speaker 1: May not work because you sweat when you sleep.
Speaker 5: So for those of us who get a little heated when we sleep, showering in the morning totally worse.
Speaker 3: Hi, Gary, night shower always.
Speaker 1: I cannot stand dirty feet in the sheet.
Speaker 2: Okay, kind of a trick question here, because you can do either one. Showering at night showering in the morning. They do say this microbiologist, and by the way, did look at the specifics of what is going to be more beneficial to you? Does have an answer, but that there is another factor in all of this we need to keep in mind. So just first of all, showering is an integral part of good hygiene period.
Speaker 1: When you have it, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Even the guy who doesn't shower finger quotes at least dips himself in the pool every once in a while, which is probably great. Showering can remove sweat. Sweat is not what smells, by the way, it's what eats your swet, the bacteria that exists on your body that turns that into bo So let's just get past that, okay. So during the day, your body, your hair collects everything pollutants, allergens, all that sort of stuff, sweat, subaceous oil. Some of these will be retained by your clothes, which is why your clothes can take on an aroma of you or vice versa, inevitably transferred to your sheets and your pillowcases. Right this is where it's gonna start getting gross. So the sweat and the oil from your skin will also support the growth of the bacteria that compromise your skin microbiome. Those can be transferred from your body onto your sheets. So showering at night would remove some of that, so less if it ends up in your bed sheets. Here's the problem. Whether you like it or not, depending on what time of life you're in it happen more. You're gonna sweat and your bed at night, that's just whatever it is. Your skin microbes then eat the nutrients in that sweat. That means, by the way time you wake up in the morning, you're gonna have again microbes on your bed sheets and probably wake up a little bit of snank to you because those microbes are eating the sweat that you sweat, regardless of whether you're warm or not. That would negate the cleaning benefits of a night shower. If if you don't you wash your sheets regularly, that's the key factor in all of it. If you don't wash your sheets at all, morning showering is the best because that gets rid of all that other stuff. If you don't wash your sheets regularly, if you watch your sheets regularly, do whatever you want. Showering at night doesn't stop your skin cells from shedding off into your sheets. Of course, dust mites can come. The waste of the dust mites can be allergenic as well. That could lead to a build up of dead skin cell deposits in your sheets. This is getting gross that can trigger allergies and exacerbate your asthma. Morning showers, however, they'll remove the dead skin cells well as any sweat or bacteria you picked up from your bed sheets overnight, especially important if your sheets weren't freshly washed when you went to bed. So a morning shower suggests your body will be cleaner of those skin microbes that you get. You'll start the day with less sweat for the bacteria to eat on and cause the bo So basically it sounds like the morning shower would be the way to go if you're not regular at cleaning your sheets.
Speaker 1: Your weirdo sick bastard all right.
Speaker 2: The other story is because it is a smelly story, the spray of perfume maybe a little swipe of lotion could mess with some of the highly reactive chemicals that cloud your body, and that could lead to unknown health effects. A chemical shield is known as the human oxidation field. Like a force field. Scientists think it reacts quickly with the molecules that surround us. It can neutralize some volatile compounds, but if you put perfume fume on that or lotion with perfume minute, it can transform the air chemistry in the immediate vicinity and that can potentially send some toxic chemical byproducts up our noses sinking into our skin.
Speaker 1: Not great.
Speaker 2: They're still studying a lot of the human oxidation field and how it impacts our health. It was only discovered a few years ago because a team of scientists found that oil from the skin reacts with the ozone pollutants in the air to form a field of actual hydroxyl radicals.
Speaker 1: Hydroxyl radicals around your body. There you go.