Speaker 1: I don't want to say that this is the first time this has ever happened, because that would probably be a lie. And I don't want to start my last show here at Sports Talk seven ninety by being a liar. But I can't think of which doesn't mean it didn't happen. But I can't think of a day where I have really not wanted to hit this button to the far left of this huge board in front of me that looks like a spaceship and just start talking sports because today will be the last day for me, and I'm not really worried about getting emotional. And again I'm not the hesitation there is not because I'm about to lose it, trust me, because I actually had that happened earlier today, which I think was a good thing. But today is my last day here, and we're going to have a fun day. I don't really know what to expect for a variety of reasons. I don't really know what to expect from me. We do have a lot of folks that are going to be joining us today throughout I'm not going to tell you who they are. We're just going to let you find out when we bring them on. And I don't want to miss you as if there's some huge names, some never before heard guests or anything. I mean, these are people that if you are a regular listener, or maybe even not even to that level, you're just somebody that's familiar with the show and what we do here, you'll know these people, and I hope you like them. If not, I don't care. They're going to join us. And if you listen a little bit consistently, then you know, I would assume you like these people. But if you don't, doesn't matter, because today there really are no rules, right. I mean, I could technically do something stupid and get myself fired. I wouldn't do that. But yeah, today's the last day, so this will be the last time I start a show saying it's coffee and Company fuel by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety And I've tried throughout the last few weeks to not really think about and I guess I'll just be real with you. I've it was, it became public and we talked about it on this show for the first time two weeks ago today, and I'm not really sure if this has come up in the last I don't know, however, many weeks it's been, but this is something that I was aware that was potentially going to happen for almost a year, so you never know, I didn't want to get my hopes up as far as in Again, for those who don't know, I'm not leaving the market, I'm not leaving Louisville. I'm not retiring. I didn't get fired. I'm just moving down the hall to take over for Tony Cruz, who also today had a big day, much bigger day than this one. I mean, he retired after a legendary career. So for those who don't know, that's what's happening. This will be my last show here and then starting Monday, you'll hear me at five am on news Radio eight forty whas. But despite knowing that this day was going to be here, and theyre being real excitement about the opportunity that I've been given to take over for Tony Cruz, I guess I hadn't really thought much about what this day would be and maybe I've been internally just putting it off. But it's here and I'm going to do what I have done the last non plus years. And by the way, thank you to all those who've reached out to me today, mostly friends, family, and others who have worked with me along the way, including somebody who shared the calculation. And I don't know if this is the exact number, but two two hundred and twelve live shows I've done here on Sports Talk seven ninety which doesn't include pre and postgame shows. And it's been over nine years. And I've said that a lot nine years, nine years, because I don't think I've ever really considered that along this nine year run, because without really forcing it, I think I've just enjoyed it, lived in the moment, and appreciated that I'm able to do this, and that's what I want today to be. So again, I wish I could be a little bit more comfortable myself, but it's a day, but it'll be fun. And not only did I want to bring on a handful of close friends of mine who have been a part of the show here and there. Guess that you hear, because I want to have them a part of this because they mean a lot to me, but also because it'll keep me from you know, it's just rambling and then maybe getting caught up and having to go to breaks. So anyways, I'm this is it for me, but I'm not. I'm not leaving for good. I'm just again moving down the hall and moving. I guess up on your radio dial from seven to nine zero to to eight four zero. But again, you know the drill. We are fueled by Thornton's. That's that's that might be my crutch today, that might be what just gets me is back to where this is just any other show. I just talk about Thornton's because you guys know I love Thornton. So we are fueled by Thornton's. Make sure you sign up if you've not yet, to become a member of their Refreshing Awards program because you'll save money at the pomp and last I checked. People like saving money, especially on something that you know, unless you have an electric vehicle, you need and that's that's fuel. So again, go to Refreshing Awards dot com or download the app, and I think that you'll be you'll be happy that you did. So let me let me start by telling you how my day started this morning very early, and I'm I'm proud of myself. For the last few days, I have set my alarm clock as if I had to get up and be on the air at five am, just so it's not such a shocker come Monday. And it's been good for me to get in that routine just a little bit. And I don't know if I can blame it on maybe me still being tired, But this morning I was up at about three forty five, got in the shower, and I got on the road. I came here. We had to send off for Tony Cruz here at the station, as well as out at Tony and Dwight's live show, which was a lot of fun. Good to see a lot of people, and what a great day for Tony and congrats to him once again on a career that not many can say that they will ever have, So congrats to him. But I was driving in and I'm not just saying this because they're a sponsor, It's the truth. I stopped at Thornton's and the show had just started and Tony was talking about his just you know, kind of sharing his story, and I told him this, and I mean it sincerely. With what that show is, it's a new I mean, it's a resource for people. It's news, traffic, weather, and really you can just put your own flavor in seasoning and between, but you really don't get a whole lot of latitude, a lot of range to really get creative. And I guess you can. You can do that, you just don't have a lot of time, because again, there's things built into the show that will always be that people rely on, like traffic, weather, news, those kind of things. But in the last couple of weeks, as Tony's made his retirement public and it's been a nice send off for him, he's talked a lot about himself and his story, and I feel like listeners probably connected with him more so in the last couple of weeks than they maybe ever have, and I just I wanted to tell him that that's been great for me to hear. I could listen to him tell these stories all day and I'm sure listeners appreciate it too. And it hit me about fifteen minutes later after I texted who I thought was Tony Cruz. So this was the ultimate goof and now that I'm talking about it, many many hours later, it was a real dumb ass move on my part, and it's harmless. I'm glad it was. I'm glad it worked out the way that it did, but I have a friend whose name is Derek Cruse, and he's a good friend whom min I've known him for a long time. He's actually the high school football coach where we grew up in North Bullet And he is in my phone as Cruise and Tony Cruise is in my phone as Tea Cruise. So I'm driving doing talk to text by the way, which I'm not sure if that is Could I get canceled for that? Is that safe? I think they invented that technology so people aren't texting on their phone when they're driving. But anyhow, I'm you know, and anytime I do talk to text, I realized I should not do that as much because then if I send it to somebody, it's like I wrote a novel. I mean, you know, makes sense. I talk a lot. That's what I do. It's I'm a radio host. But anyways, it was a very heartfelt message and I can't tell maybe I was too embarrassed to ask, But my friend Derek kind of played along with me for a minute, and I'm of the belief that he knew that I sent it to the wrong Cruise. I believe that he knew and he just was having fun with me, but also you know, I do think the world of him, and I don't know if I don't know if I would have said the same things to to Coach Cruise as I did Tony Cruse, but both great guys. But that, you know, a heavy day of emotions to get started me having a ultimate me moment. It kind of calmed me a little bit. So I'm sure that's not the only stupid thing I'll do today, and I'm sure it's not the only thing I've done up to this point. But yeah, that was that was how my day started, and I already got a goof out of the way, so I've been a little bit more comfortable. And when it comes to just emotions that that that I really I was telling my wife this earlier, and I'm sure she's tired of hearing me talk about it. I'm sure you guys over the years, non plus years have thought, Man, this guy talks a lot. He's repetitive. Does he ever shut up? I mean, she lives with me, and she's, uh, you know, she's I'm the host. She can't turn the station to unless she just you know, shuts the door in my face and tells me to shut up what she doesn't do. She's great. But anyways, I'm a talker, but I haven't you know, anytime. I thought about throughout today and even yesterday to an extent, about sort of what I wanted today to be and how I was gonna balance having fun doing what I love doing every single day, but also really using the time I have left here on the station to let everybody know how grateful I am of one that I got the chance to do this and those that joined us along the way. So trying to find that comfortable balance is difficult, and I'm going to try my best to do it, and if not, you know, it's okay. The show will be over after today, so you know, not you can do about it after that point. But when I thought about sort of how I wanted to balance that, and I thought about the emotional side, without any real indicator internally, I just I lost it. I would get I would cry, not like a baby, not like a you know, wouldn't as if I was boohooing to a crazy extent. But it was the first time really that I can think that I didn't feel it coming, and it just it just happened. I started crying and I'm hopeful that that got it out of the system to where that won't that won't take place today and we can get you know, we can get that out of the way, and I'm hopeful that that's what ends up happening. But I mean, I any time I've ever and I'm not somebody all I'm not someone that it is in any way afraid of being emotional. I mean, I'm not somebody that is super emotional, but I'm not I'm not a guy or man that is uncomfortable expressing emotion or sharing that I do express emotion. So usually, you know, I can feel when that's about to happen. Usually, you know, you try to fight it and then it just happens. But today it was more so not even really thinking about it, and then you know, just start tearing up. And it's because I this is something that is fun for me. It is a job. I've never told the people that hired me that I would do this for free, but I think I kind of would. I'd have to find a way to make ends me, you know, I'd have to have to figure something out, but I'd love doing this and I'm so lucky to be able to do something that I love, and when you're in that position, I guess for me, I can't speak for anybody else, but I suppose if to make it make sense for me, you don't really you know, you're in the moment. It's there's not emotion, there's you know, there's stress that comes with it. You know. Obviously if I would if I if I was terrible at this, I wouldn't still be able to do it. And it was a different world whenever it became what I do, meaning I didn't have another job, I didn't have any other income. This is this is my life and it better work or I'm gonna have to figure something else out. And obviously I would be devastated if I gave this a shot and it didn't work out, And who knows what the future holds. But to be able to say that I've been able to do this as long as I have is something that's still saying it out loud just doesn't seem real. But it's been real, and it's been it's been a lot of fun. But I think because of the nature of what this is, trying not to take myself too serious on the air, Clearly self deprecation is a big part of my game, and I think because of that, when I do get to that point where I'm reflecting and realizing, oh wow, it's ending, that's when it becomes emotional. So anyways, we'll take you up till six o'clock. How many times have I said that? In the last few years. I used to say take you up till ten am or three o'clock, But we'll go till six and then that's That'll be it. This is the last dance and we've got many guests going to join us throughout today, although there's a couple that I did tell them, like, you don't you know, if you feel like you're doing this just because you feel like, you know, you need to. Like it's a Friday, people probably want to be out, you know, hitting a happy hour or something. So if you're listening now and you're on the schedule and like you don't want to do it, let me know. I hope that doesn't happen, but we'll see and trust me, there'll be no hard feelings. So and then back to the balance, right, trying to find the balance. I do want to talk about some things that are worth talking about on a sports talk show In this market because that's what I've always done, That's what I like doing. In fact, who am I gonna talk? I mean, I'm gonna talk sports on has, but not to the extent that we do here, and certainly not the same kind of show. So I gotta find a way to to get my fix at some point. But anyways, there are a lot of things. I mean, last night and be a playoffs, the Pacers just completely laid an egg, and I'm not worried like that. They're in big trouble here, but I don't want to go back to New York, and I don't think Tyrese Haliburton wanted to be in New York last night. Yikes. I don't know how somebody can be so good the game prior talk about an old time performance that you just don't see very often. In fact, I think that's exactly what it was. I think the numbers he put up, the triple double with zero turnovers, I think that was the first time anybody had put together that type of triple double. And then last night eight points didn't even look like he was If you just watched that game last night, you would not believe that he had thirty plus points, fifteen plus assists, ten plus rebounds, five threes, made zero turnovers the game prior because he just wasn't engaged enough. And look, guys have bad games, it happens, but superstars have bad games with a lot of shot attempts. And he's a guy that does distribute and it's been a big factor in the pac for success this year. But I hope that he's not getting tight as this moment is here, because now they've got a chance to close this at tomorrow, which I believe they will because I think they're the better team. But man, going back to Indy, I'm sorry, going back to New York for a game seven would not be an ideal situation. And yes, they were there last year in the same spot, game seven to either continue your season or go home, and they prevailed, but I wouldn't feel as confident about that this time around, So we can get to that. Also, how about this, this is very fitting. I can tell you how much I hate the nc DOUBLEA on my last day doing sports talk, because they are going to expand the NCUBA tournament, which is not necessary. In fact, it didn't need to be expanded to sixty eight. But they're gonna do it. I'll still watch, I'll still love it because I'm not sure anybody could do anything when it comes to college basketball that would make me not want to watch, and you know I love it. It's you know, I'm not the only one. Clearly, we are really passionate about college hoops around here, but expanding all the tournaments and postseasons and every sport at every level is really not necessary. But when it comes to college sports as well as pros, it's another way to make a lot of money. And least I checked, that's a big factor people like making a lot of money. Speaking of college basketball, can I do and I told you so because I've never been and I told you so, guy, Unless I can be and I told you so guy, which is rare. But it does make me feel good knowing that something I've been screaming, not angry but just happy is now being talked about. I feel like more than it ever has, and that is that there is no question that the new world of college athletics, with players getting paid within il you essentially have free agency because of the transfer portal, there's no doubt that college basketball is benefit from that in every way, and because of all the guys that decided to come back this year, remove their name from the draft, and really there really aren't that many that turned down an opportunity to be like a top pick. There was a kid from Alabama that I believe was expected to be a first rounder. He decided to come back, and it's because he can go to the NBA next year and he'll make plenty of money in college. And I think a lot of people would do the same thing. So to me, it's been evident, and I love it because I was worried about college basketball for a long time because it just didn't It didn't it was no longer worthwhile for high level college players who have no future in the NBA. Right, you've got two years in it's quite clear you can still play college hoops and you're a decent player, but you're not going to the NBA. Well, in the previous world, you just have to sit back and you know, you were living a good lifestyle. You had a scholarship, you had a room and board, you had your stipend. I mean, you were not going without. But you're also wasting years where you could actually be playing professionally and making legitimate money. And now I mean, guys who you just know we're not gonna go to the NBA were bypassing college because they they're content with going and playing in Europe or whatever. And now you got guys turning down the NBA to stay in college. And I mean the product is better. Selfishly, I think it's great for fans because programs like Louisville, Kentucky and even Indiana, there are gonna be many, if any seasons where you are on you're on the outside looking in as far as those who were able to benefit from this whole situation, So again, we got a lot to get into. Of course, the SEC really more than anything, I think it's just Greg Sankie. Obviously, I wouldn't be shocked if the coaches feel the same way. But this is the first time I can't really tell if Greg Sanki completely locks awareness or just doesn't care. Part of me says he knows what he's doing, and he's able to He's able to just operate in his own world with that delusion and enough people will believe him and run with it. He's really good at a job. But the extent that the SEC is going to try to prove that what happened in previous seasons, maybe you know thirty seasons ago, two seasons ago should be a factor in how you get to the college football playoff is really really stupid, meaning none of that matters. I mean again, it's crazy hypothetical. Throughout there, we all know the SEC is not going anywhere in football. In fact, they may be more dominant in years to come. But that shouldn't that shouldn't You should never walk into automatic spots that give you a chance to play for a national championship before you've played a game. I mean, say it out loud. It's really really stupid. So anyways, quick break, we'll come back. On the other side, our first guest will join us, and he's somebody I think the world of. I'm a huge fan of his and it's been great bringing him on the show in recent years, to to get his to get his knowledge, to get his takes, because it's not something you typically get a lot of in his gig, but I'd pay to get it because he's that good. He's awesome. And you'll find out who it is on the other side. I'll let you know. Also we will Well, I was gonna say I'm already. I'm already stumbling spinning my wheels here. I was gonna say, you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the out Radio. I've also listened live at seven ninety Louisville dot Com and let's finish strong. It's Coffee and Company, the Last, the last edition. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety on my last show here at Sports Talk seven ninety. I'm doing something for the first time, and it's kind of exciting. I've not let anybody as far as listeners know who who is going to be joining us. I kind of like the anticipation, and you're in for a real treat here. Because I'm a huge fan of this guy. I know you guys have to be as well. Seen him on television talking sports for a long time, and he's been on this show pretty regularly over the last couple of years, and I've really enjoyed it. It is mister Kent, Spencer Kent, You've had a lot of honors in your career. Where does this one rank? Being able to say you're on the Sindhoff edition of Coffee and Company. It's got to be up there. Pretty High.
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, I'll probably just above the birth of every one of my kids.
Speaker 1: That's fair.
Speaker 3: This one is this one right here for me, it's fair. I get it. Let me, let me just start.
Speaker 2: I just want to say this. I want to get it off by chest before we get before we get rocking and rolling, strutting strolling. First off, I am so happy for you, and I know that today is a little bittersweet, but you're going You're going into something that's so exciting. And I can only imagine because the seat that you're going into is such a such a coveted position around here and has been so for a long time. Could you imagine when you were growing up and you were at North Bullet High School that if somebody said, you know what, at some point you're going to be in that seat and and that's gonna be your gig, and you're and and that's and somebody they wanted you in that seat, it would probably be like maybe too far for you to even imagine that. But I'm I'm super super pumped for you, buddy, and I'm super happy for you.
Speaker 3: I think it's I think it's awesome.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Man. That does.
Speaker 1: That means a lot, and it's something that that I really can't I don't think i've been If somebody asked me, have you processed sort of what it is, I don't know. I don't think I have because I don't know that you can. I think you kind of just roll with it. And uh, I was chatting with Terry Miners before his show today and recorded something that he's going to play, and I guess I just better not screw this up. It's a pretty big deal and I am honored in in a big, big way. And and that is something that I haven't talked about a lot on this show, but yeah, to hear that there have been such few people that have been able to have that position over a long long time, long before you and I were around, long before our parents were. It's an opportunity that I'm certainly appreciative of and I'm going to make the most of it. That's certainly what I'm going to try to do. But I want to I want to fan out a little bit with you, Ken, because I remember listening to this station before I got hired long ago. So it's been over nine years and you were on with the Dogs The Afternoon of Dogs pretty regularly, and I don't remember that I got. I was gonna mention this, but I may get it wrong. I think did they call you the wrong Kent? Was it Jennings or Benetti that referred to you as Kent Taylor or vice versa, because he was a real contentious thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it always is and it's still let me tell you something, it is still to this day still be Yeah, Pete, Well people call me Kent Taylor. I mean they're they're just dead to me. Yeah, I get, and I always mention it. I always mentioned it.
Speaker 3: You know, that's not Kent Taylor, that's John Taylor.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's right. I remember that happening, and I remember at the time, I was working a different job, and I you know, at the time, I was never of the belief I would ever have a chance to even to do anything like this. But I remember noticing that your your interviews with those guys, it's just a different style than what you do on television. It's it's a different thing. And I got a chance to hear you that I in a way that I don't that I don't hear you on TV. And you're great on TV. But as you know, it's just a different it's a different thing. You don't have a whole lot of time to share a lot of opinions, and that's really not typically what that is. But once I got the gig here and moved to afternoons, I wanted to bring you in because I feel like you are, first of all, your your former athlete, yourself, you know sports, your professional You do have what I think are good opinions that that that you know people would enjoy hearing. That's why I love having you on. You've been a great asset to the show when we when we've done it. But I guess my question is what did when you got into the industry that you're in now, and you've been you've been at it for a long long time. Did did you always want to do that? Were you considering different I guess, different mediums when it comes to sports coverage, sports broadcasting, sports television? Did you always want to be the guy where you are now? Did you do stuff differently? I'm just again, I'm fanning out here on my last show with with with Ken Spencer here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, honestly, like when I got number one, I think I got the bug to go into this profession.
Speaker 3: When I was in high school, we had a like.
Speaker 4: Just a communications one communications two class, and so I took all of that and I just enjoyed the work, right, and so I didn't really know exactly what what avenue.
Speaker 3: That it would be.
Speaker 2: And then when I went to when I went to Borehead State, we had a news.
Speaker 1: Center football team, by the way, yeah, and I and I got.
Speaker 2: To dabble in things that in the spring semester, like I got to I got to do sports, I got to do news that, you know, just a bunch of different things. And once again, like I really liked it. But when I got when I got out, like I went in just to like strictly news, I wasn't in sports at all. Uh. Some of that was just because I thought there were way more opportunities and news, which by the way, there are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's that's the avenue that that I wanted to go.
Speaker 2: And then you know what, some point, because of my background and kind of my knowledge, everybody that I worked for was like, hey, would you would you be interested in this? And so that you know, I kind of slowly started to gravitate towards that and then you know, when I got there to be honest, like, I love I love all aspects of it, right, Like I love to have fun on air when it's time to have fun on air, and when there's time to you know, be serious and there's in and you know, the stories are serious, and yeah, that's that, that's what needs to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're a pro when it's necessary. Not that you're not a pro with you're having fun, but I know exactly what you mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I love I love to do it all and I just want people if it's if it's a lighthearted day, then then man, let's have a good time. And I want people at home to feel like they're they're having a good time. But and you're right on TV for the you know, for for all of it, you're just being you know, like I got you know, at six o'clock tonight, I got two minutes and forty five five seconds. So I gotta whatever it is, I gotta smash through. We're only really dealing with the facts there. So I love opportunities in this form to be able to just shoot the breeze.
Speaker 1: And that's why we like that leads to that's why I asked the question because I feel like, I mean, there's got to be I mean again, it's just a it's a different thing, and and you're good at it, and I you know, obviously you're doing really well where you are, and I'm sure you're not looking to have a new career doing something else. But that's the reason I asked the question, because I you know, you're When it comes to just shooting the breeze, I mean, it's it's it's very enjoyable and uh, you know you've been You've been a real asset to the show. Now let me ask you this, when it comes to the news side of it, did you feel I mean again, you're you're always a pro, but did it seem a little less like work when it was sports because that's a big part of your life growing up, If that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always I always thought of it this way too. And then this is what I continue to say. Nine percent of the time when we show up for sports, people say us for being there, and they thank us for the coverage and they're very welcoming. Ninety percent when you show up for a news story, they look at you with a side eye and they're like, what are you doing here?
Speaker 3: What do you want?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, like, oh, yeah, I wouldn't never thought of that, But I I'm not surprised at all.
Speaker 2: And and that's just that's just the nature of the beast. And so you know that that's that's a big difference in in the in the two aspects. Now, the one one of the things that really sealed the deal was I was working on a story. I had to I had to go out on a shoot and it was actually a shooting, and a firefighter was ended up ended up being shot and killed at this at this scene. And when you're in news, when you go to a shooting scene, you know most of the time when you get there, they've already got the suspect apprehended, like it is it, It's already done by the time that you get there. Well, in this one, I get out thinking that it's probably already an undone deal. And by the time we got there, we didn't even know any of the details what had happened or if anybody had been shot. We just knew there was a shooting. We roll up, we see a bunch of police cars. I come out and I just hear I see people hiding behind a tree, and then I heard a voice says, get the f down, wow, And then I heard boom, boom boom, And I went down underneath a thing, and I hear the bullets over top of the head. The next day, they actually asked me if I would be the weekend sports aaker, and I said, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I'm in.
Speaker 2: So you know, it's fun, it's not, you know, it's just weird how things can kind of transpire in your life and lead you into a certain direction.
Speaker 1: In that situation, I'm sure as well as others during your time in news that's not sports related, it probably puts you in a better spot to just dive into sports. And you know it was always probably going to come natural to you. But you know, what you just described as scary as hell a lot different than when you show up to Trinity High School to cover high school football, because one, you probably enjoy doing that. Also, as you mentioned, there's there's appreciation for the coverage, especially for local That's something that I've really really noticed in recent years is that you know, when there is local coverage still and there is and there should be for local high schools and whatnot, it's it's it's a service to the community. And that's actually now a big part of what you know, what eight forty whas is, and it'll be kind of part of of what I do. Now. Another question I have for you when it comes to all the the Derby's college basketball is king here as far as our market there, it's not necessarily positive news if you're a Louisville fan, but man, there's a lot of crazy stories that come from u of L. But that has been a part of coverage for you in the time you've been in Kentucky and you know, forced to say what in the moment at that time, felt like this is one of the biggest stories I'll ever cover.
Speaker 3: The dilho but I'll lead it's a good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not that that's a good thing that happened. That you could feel that every eyeball in the world seemed to be on Loivell when that was going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and and not only was that a big thing, so you know, it was always such a big thing. And and we had so many corporate leaders from our the company that owned us at the time, the station that came in for that because it was you know, it was such a it was such a massive story. And I remember on the day of the funeral, I was on the new set that day for eight straight hours, and it was it was myself, it was Doug Prophet, it was Rachel Platt, it was Renee Murphy was out there, and then we just had just a string of guests that came and joined us on the set, and you know, we were on there for eight straight hours and we had the entire you know, procession through town that that we had and some time, to be quite honest with you, like it was that was that was big stuff. That was pretty heavy stuff and and extremely emotional for just you know, our entire city here. But that was the biggest story I think that I've ever been a part of.
Speaker 3: And it's probably not even.
Speaker 2: Close, to be quite honest with you, just because of what, you know, who he was, what he meant to this city, and there was a finality of it all.
Speaker 1: And another aspect of that is if you are someone and there's millions I'm sure that were interested in just following along the celebration of life and just the coverage of him passing such a legendary human being in Muhammad Ali, there's probably plenty that we're seeking out. I want to hear and see what the reaction is in his hometown where he clearly made it a huge part of his brand, his entire life. I mean, and a lot of people across the planet, if they know of Louisville and they're not and they're not, you know, from this country, they probably think louis of slugger, they think Mouhammad Ali. And I remember, Actually, I'll be honestly, I was gonna lie. I remember it, and it was it was clearly a big deal, but I think I was too young, can't even kind of realize what was actually happening. I knew it was a big deal, but just to the reach you can get when something like that happens, and clearly the story is connected to in Louisville, where he's from, and his celebration of life. So all right, can't one more thing? I wanted to say, you should start a podcast, because I'm not kidding you. Some of the guys who do TV on sports, some of the guys who do sports television are I would. I would be loyal listener. Like friends I've made over the years, and there have been many people that that I've got to know. But as far as guests that I would bring on the show, because like I thought, they really brought they helped me out. They were helping me with the show. At you my buddy Dan Kobe, who used to be here in the market, Love my buddy John Lewis, Like these are people that I got to hear aside and just you know, shoot, shoot the breeze and talk sports in a different way from television. So if you ever want to start a podcast, you and you should do it with your son. He can talk. You all can talk wrestling, talk local sports. And I don't know how many listeners you had. I'm sure you'd have many, but I would certainly be one of them.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you something. If I did it with my seven year old son, the only thing that he would.
Speaker 3: Want to say over and over his yeek.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, that's that's his favorite thing.
Speaker 2: In fact, we did go to Monday Night Raw when it was at the Young Center. I saw that and it was let's just say, big boy had a big time. But man a, thank you so much for having me on over the years. Thank you, congratulations on the get. I could not be more thrilled I'm so I'm so locked in on the adventures of Moose and that sweet baby angel girl of yours.
Speaker 1: Yep, thank you so much. Ken. I really appreciate you and appreciate all the coin words, and I won't be a stranger. And I hope you're okay with that. Take care brother, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Absolutely be good.
Speaker 1: All right, that's Ken Spencer from WHS eleven. How about that. I told him I was good fan out and I kind of did. All right, let's get to a quick break. Actually, I don't know how quick it's going to be, but we have a break coming up. And if anything, I'm consistent I didn't manage the clock very well, so we're kind of up against it here.
Speaker 3: We do.
Speaker 1: This may work out well because the guest that is set to come on did have a tight window. We may have gone past said window, so this is a benefit. Another thing if and by the way, I'll tell you who it is if he doesn't come on, just because you know, it's not some big deal, but this person, if he's able to join us for the brief segment we have to close out the show. He's the first ever guest that I had on a show. That I had here at seven ninety nine plus years ago, and some of you longtime loyal listeners may know who it is. If not, stick around you'll find out one way or the other he's here or not. I'll let you know. It's Coffee and Company. Feel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. I'm telling you I learned something new on my very last show here at Sports Talk seven ninety. This is I mean, I would have run out of suspenseful guests to bring on, but I like not letting anybody know who's actually next up to join us on the show. I didn't really even plan on doing that until the show started. I was like, why not? But anyways, this guy, you know him, and he he's actually been a part of our trivia contests over the years. Because the question has come up, who was the first ever guest on on my show? And it was a long time ago, so you probably don't remember. If you're you may not remember it all because it was a long time ago. He probably didn't even know it. It should be on his resume, but it's Jeff Greer, formerly of the Courier Journal of the Athletic uh Low CITYFC and Racing Louisville. Now he's the VP of Communications at Gotham's Gotham FC. He's up in the big Apple. It is Jeff Greer. Jeff, how are we doing, sir?
Speaker 5: I'm doing great, Nick. I actually I had a personal award made up for that appearance. I don't know if you knew this. I have, like it's like a shield. It's got the family crest on it, and it's got your show logo.
Speaker 3: And it's like on my mantle at my house.
Speaker 1: Don't be afraid, and I can do it if you want. Maybe let the brass at Gotham FC know they'll think even more highly about you and feel better about about hiring you. But Jeff, you may not even remember this, but you actually came on the show before we went live. This was long ago, and it's been so long since this happened, and a lot of things run together. But I asked my old boss this earlier today. Did we do this? Because I think we did, and he said, yes, we did. We did a mock show, which, now that I've done this as long as I have, that's a really stupid thing to do. I don't know if i'd be able to do a show knowing that it's to nobody, it's just to one person evaluating. But I did a mock interview with you and then asked you the next week, can we do that same thing again? And you came on. And when I knew that you were my guy was not only with your great coverage of UFL sports and really everything, but you're my Seinfeld guy and I and we we connect in that way. And I don't mean just you and I, but those who are really lifers, that are that are in the game, the Seinfeld game that will defend the series at all costs and continue to maintain it's the best show of all time. So you and I have talked Sonfeld over the years. I don't know if I've ever asked you this. I'll start a two part question. I'll start with the first one. Is there an episode? Because I don't I can't answer this. I think there's just too difficult, But is there an episode that you think is superior to all the others? Oh my god, it's impossible, right.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, I mean this is this is probably uh sad to admit publicly, but I mean I watch Seinfeld every single night as I'm falling asleep.
Speaker 3: It's the last thing I do every.
Speaker 1: Single day, which is it makes you feel comfortable, right, I'm with you. Yeah, this help.
Speaker 5: I helped them fall asleep. I I would say the contest is always just like, every single line is so good. Obviously I probably shouldn't get into too much of the plot details on a on a family on a family show, but but uh, but that's one of my all time favorites. That's very high up there. And then of course, I mean, look, the soup Nazi is everybody's favorite. The marine biologist with the hole in one and the in the blowhole of the whale. I mean, there's just too many. There's too many to count. But if I had to pick one, I'd say the contest.
Speaker 1: This this uh, this is a question that I I ask others who are who like us that are that are lifers in the game. And it's really a trick question because I'm maintained. Again, you could feel differently. But if you had to remove any of the characters of the main four, the core four, I don't think the show would be as successful. So you know, if you had a lot of people say Elaine, Elaine is so much more important to that show than she ever gets credit for. And she's, by the way, still the most successful, at least currently it seems as of now. Not that the others aren't, you know, doing well, but like that's an impossible question, right, Like they all serve a very big role for it all being a magical, magical show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't.
Speaker 5: You can't remove any of them.
Speaker 3: And she has proven time and again now that she is.
Speaker 5: I mean, she is so funny. Veep is also one of my favorite shows.
Speaker 1: She's a legend.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean she's a legend and like, and you could even expand it beyond that, like, can you imagine Seinfeld without Jerry Stiller, No, you can't like it.
Speaker 3: He just like, you know, he made the show.
Speaker 5: Mister Costanza is is like, in my opinion, maybe the greatest supporting cast member in the history of television. Oh yeah, I mean he's really high up there. And Estelle Costanza is also hilarious. The actress I never can remember.
Speaker 1: Her name, but if you show me, if you show me Jerry Stiller highlights as if you know somebody's putting together an NBA edit for TikTok, I would then say, yeah, he's actually the best character of all time on the show. He's ahead of Jerry, He's ahead of George because he's I mean, he was electric And uh, now are you if you who's your like who brings you the most laughter? On Seinfeld?
Speaker 3: Because yeah, for sure, Frankstanz.
Speaker 1: What about the of the Core four? Because to me it's his son and it's not close. And the older I get, the more I realized the George Costanza is just he's I think it might be because I'm kind of him, which may not be a good thing, but you know, he he they're all great, but he to me, he's the best.
Speaker 5: I would that's a that's a tough player comp for you, now, I probably Kramer for me, just I enjoy the I enjoy it kind of the wild slapstick stuff.
Speaker 3: And just like the terrible ideas that he's my guy.
Speaker 5: I'm a big.
Speaker 1: He's unrelatable, but in a brilliant way.
Speaker 3: Right, yes, for sure?
Speaker 1: All right, last question for you, and I appreciate you making time for us here on short notice, and I'm sorry I was late. It's anything I'm consistent. I can't manage the clock very well. But you you've lived in Louisville. A couple of different times. We stole you, I believe, from Florida, and then I know you spent some time in the Northeast, went to school at Pittsburgh and all that you're now back in New York. Give me something that you will miss about Louisville when you're not here. I'm sure you're gonna come back and visit and whatnot, but in something that you know, like, tell us what we could do better as a city, Jeff, You've been a lot of places, and I know you love us, but like, what could we improve.
Speaker 5: At Oh, I'll be honest with you, Nick, And I've told there's you know, there's a common reaction in New York just about pretty much anywhere, and it's just kind of like, oh, you know, like, hey, there's not like you know, unless the people have been there, and then I'm like, oh, yeah, I really, but I mean I really enjoyed my time there. I know you've got a family too, like it's a great place to raise your kids.
Speaker 1: Yep, you know I I So one thing that I would say improve is just say potholes. It's an easy out.
Speaker 3: Potholes is an easy out.
Speaker 5: And also and I know you and I have talked about those one hundred times, like literally everything everything becomes UK.
Speaker 3: Versus UFL and it's just exhausting.
Speaker 1: I mean I could see it, absolute exhausting, especially if it doesn't consume you because you just like it's yeah, I get it. I totally get it.
Speaker 5: I'm with you, like, come on, man, but yeah, the pothole will go potholes.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's an easy out.
Speaker 5: It is also what makes it great, So it's kind of a it's a polar opposite type of thing.
Speaker 1: Jeff. You know, I appreciate you and I'm so happy for your success. Keep doing your thing up there with Gotham FC. I know you're super passionate about soccer and you've done a phenomenal job throughout your career. So thank you for making time. And congrats for being a part of this man, I mean, big deal for your resume, right, first ever guest and one of the and a guest on the last show ever.
Speaker 5: No, man, you're the one who deserves a congrats.
Speaker 2: This is super cool for you.
Speaker 5: I'm excited. You work as hard as anybody I know, and you know, I hope people recognize how hard you how hard you work because you.
Speaker 3: Are a treasurer for the city.
Speaker 5: So keep it up and I'll be following from Afar as always.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jeff pre Chach prea Chach, you brother, stay well.
Speaker 5: All right, you two buddy, see take care.
Speaker 1: That is Jeff Greer, good stuff. I really just wanted to nerd out on Sinfield because he's my son Field brother. All right, let's let's let's do this. Let's take a take a time out. We'll come back at the four o'clock hour started. We've got two hours left and uh, let's let's make it count. I mean, I'm really sure what you guys can do when it comes to that, but I'm gonna make account. I'm gonna enjoy every second of this. So thank you all for hanging out with us. Don't go anywhere, keep it locked right here. On Sports Talk seven ninety