Speaker 1: And welcome, ladies and gentlemen to one more episode of Ascend, and I have my wonderful, marvelous, amazing co host, Seafood car Romaine.
Speaker 2: Right, thank you for that amazing introduction, normally the other way around.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's why I wanted to open today, guys. I wanted to give you guys a little bit of a different swing today. Okay, so today we're talking about what is our.
Speaker 2: Top creating an intentional life and career. And we have a very good friend. He's amazing, super positive, smart young guy. I met him many years ago and I'm just I'm so impressed with how he carries himself in the life that he's created for himself. His name is Giovanni Ramerez and Giovanni, welcome to Ascend.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you for having me on. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: We're excited to have you here.
Speaker 3: I'm definitely excited too, guys, thanks so much.
Speaker 4: I'm loving the white, by the way, love it.
Speaker 3: You know, light colors are just they just bring energy.
Speaker 1: In yes, positivity right, and speaking about good energy, the minute you walked in the room, there was this good energy.
Speaker 4: I love your vibe.
Speaker 1: You're very positive. Tell us a little bit about you as a person who is Giovanni.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, thank you for asking that, and again a pleasure to be here with you both. I think I would say there is a book that changed my life, and that book is The Celestine Prophecy. In that book, my father brought it home, he was reading it, and I just found it, and I was thirteen years old. And this book created the person that you see before you, a person that understands that we're all energy, that there are power struggles that we need to uplift each other, and that's one of the ways that you could build a really beautiful life. So I think The Celestine Prophecy really captures the kind of person that I am today.
Speaker 2: It's a great book. Actually, I still have a copy of it.
Speaker 3: Awesome, I need to reread it.
Speaker 1: So you were introduced to this early on? How old were you?
Speaker 3: I was around thirteen years old? Wow, yes, And I just found I found it, I think laying on the floor if I remember correctly, and I just got curious. And he does not always kill the guy.
Speaker 2: So were you your parents very philosophical or spiritual? Like how are you? How is how is it that your dad was reading it?
Speaker 3: Like yeah, A good question. My father actually, he was an avid reader and he would take us to the library every single week. We would get books, and my sister and I would you would find us reading upside down in our couch, if you remember, like you would build a fort and we would read upside down in our couch. And I read countless of books growing up, which is I think, if you want to build wisdom and children, have them read stories, fiction or nonfiction. And I think that really was a key component of coming up. So I wouldn't say my parents were as wise. My mom was definitely more spiritual. But my father has the wisdom to take me to the library every single time.
Speaker 2: They say readers are.
Speaker 1: Leaders, that's right, literally, and we have a leader here with us. That's amazing. So when you talk about personal development and growth, your careers all about that, right, How did you get introduced to that world, the coaching, the positivity, the personal development and everything you bring to it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Wow? So innately people just wanted to follow me initially, whether it be friends groups, some way, somehow I would become the hey, what does GEO think? And I, well, I think this, Well, I think he's right, And then they would follow me, right, But I think if you want to go back, is when I started breakdancing. I was a breakdancer and I had my own dance crew. But I started breakdancing when I saw a nineteen seventies movie and I said, that looks cool. And then there were the resurgence of hip hop old school like in the mid nineties late nineties, and I said, there's no one around to teach me that. I'm going to teach it to myself. And then I found like minded people eventually, and then I built an a crew and we used to practice at my house and I built the studio and that's where my leadership skills really began. Yeah. So I was a better manager of the crew than a dancer, but I can still throw down.
Speaker 1: Look at that, and also a breakdancer. Yes, yes, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: That's really awesome. Is that where you met Eddie?
Speaker 3: Yes, So we have a CFO and I we have a common friend named Eddie who is very, very successful and amazing dancer, and it's one of the key components of why I am in this podcast here today.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So can you tell us about your experience with multi level marketing and how that led to greater success for you. What you learned from that is there a lot of people look at multi level marketing and don't realize there's some powerful teachings and powerful tools to really help people grow and be intentional with their life and career. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, multi level marketing, you know, there's it has a long history, but I think it really teaches you how to be an entrepreneur, and it really does teach you how to be a leader, right because here you are you're incentivized people, not by force, but by the way you're communicating to them by reminding them of the bigger picture. And So, whether you stick in multi level or not, I decided to take my career in a different path. I think those leadership skills really stick with you and you become a much better person and a person that can communicate effectively as well, because you're doing selling, team management and also organizations.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, what I love about multi level marketing is the fact that you have to help somebody else.
Speaker 4: In order to help yourself. That's right, very true.
Speaker 1: Somebody's success becomes your own success. So you're invested in wanting to see other people succeed, and that's how it should be right. Yeah, that's the beauty of it. The more you succeed, I succeed with you, so I want you.
Speaker 3: To that's very true. Yeah, it's a win win. Yeah. And you know it's called the I call it the latter effect, right where you pull one person up, they may go higher than you and they help pull you up to the next day step.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely, So what inspired you to write The Perfect Interview?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So The Perfect Interview is the culmination of over twelve years of career coaching entry level and mid level professionals. And I called it your perfect interview because it's really about you the person. You don't have to be the perfect interviewer, but if you have a picture of you being a better person, a better communicator, a better way to show up for yourself, then it's your perfect interview. So it's very purposely named for yours, not the perfect Interview. On top of that, because I've been interviewing, I've had a career in finance and different operations, different roles in operations and retail and finance companies. Overall, what I have found is that you want to if you do have like the perfect interview, you will interview yourself. You will get into a job that you yourself don't even want, right, the role might not be for you. And then you start working on this role and you're like, oh, this is not for me. That's because you probably did a perfect interview, not focusing on like is this really for me? Am I just answering to get the question right? Or am I answering this truthfully? Because so that the employer can also identify, Hey, this is probably not for you.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a big, big component.
Speaker 1: And there's a big difference, like people when they hire for somebody that just you know, does a good job or whatever they are specifically good in.
Speaker 4: Right, It's important.
Speaker 1: What you're saying is there's a difference between you doing a good job and telling them what they.
Speaker 4: Want to hear, yes, versus you actually.
Speaker 1: Telling them what your strengths are and where you would fit in better exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. And there's a good way to interview when you if you walk into the interview empowered, right, just thinking that yes, this is a situation where you don't have the power. They're asking all the questions by far and large, but you need to walk in there saying I need to really know if this is where I'm going to put the biggest chunk of my time, the biggest chunk of my day. So walking in there with that confidence that you're also interviewing them, you're also observing them, You're also watching their mannerisms that will give you a sense of confidence and assertiveness that that also will transcend across the desk and hopefully with that handshake.
Speaker 4: Oh that's powerful, awesome.
Speaker 2: So what was your observation, Like, how did you get into career coaching? What was your observation? I said, you know what people need this? Yeah, there's something missing here and I have the solution. Yeah, tell us about that.
Speaker 3: Beautiful, thank you for asking that. I fell in love with this. I started just you might laugh at this. I started with my ex girlfriends, So my girlfriends back then, girlfriends back then, and it's like, oh, I want to get a new job, So like, okay, yeah, let me write your resume right, and they would go and get a new job, or like I feel unconfident, I don't know how to negotiate my salary with my boss. And then I would give them techniques and they would go and get success. And then I have this interview that I need to prepare for and I had not realizing that I had a certain skill set. In two thousand and two, when the tech bubble collapsed like the pre the recession right that we had in two thousand and eight, I went out after college and went on five interviews and got five different job offers when all my friends were struggling to get work, and I just took it for granted. About a few many years later, I interviewed for a very large hedge fund and I was able to get in the door and I said, holy smokes, I'm doing something pretty good here. I need to study it. And I reflected on what I was doing in the interview process and I went and if you read a few, you know, professional development career books, and I said, holy smokes, I'm doing exactly what they're doing saying naturally, and I'm going further. There's an extra layer that I've uncovered. And that's where I said, SEAFO, people need this.
Speaker 4: You want to inquire.
Speaker 2: I want to know what were you doing right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, like you know, just as a as a coach, you know, people come to me and they're talking to me, and there's so many people who've lost their jobs and they're sending resume in they're not hearing anything. They're going on interviews, they're not getting the job. What's the secret, sauce?
Speaker 3: I'm excited. I want to drop some value today. Okay, So with a resume, I think of it as going fishing. Right, If you're going fishing, how do you catch the biggest fish with the brightest lu right that with the brightest, biggest slur, Right, you have that if you have just a little hook, you're not gonna get something. You got some good bait, they're gonna take it and there. And nowadays recruiters they're seeing hundreds of resumes, right, hundreds, Which one is gonna stick out? Right? You have to stick out. So one of the things I say to people when I help people write the resume is add a little bit of pizzazz, whatever you're comfortable with. Create a little logo on the corner of your initials, Maybe add a little color, and format it and make it look as beautiful as possible, because what you want them to do is just to stop. They're going through that stash. Imagine you're the guys just going paper by paper and they take a look and they see this one and they go hmm and they put it to the side. You got them, baby, I love that.
Speaker 4: And just a little bit, just.
Speaker 3: A little that's all you need, enough, just enough to say, I'm gonna read this one further. Once you do that, you got them.
Speaker 2: What are some things they need to have in there? Though? Okay, so now I've got their attention. But you know, attention is what thirty seconds? It's very true, right, So now what what else has to be in there?
Speaker 3: Awesome?
Speaker 2: I know you don't want to give away all you see.
Speaker 3: I want to give them away, Okay, I do, I totally do. I want who is ever listening to go out and do this. And the one main component is that or three components as individuals list their responsibilities, but not these three items, their highlights, their achievements, and their recognition, which is hard for us to do. We're so hard on ourselves right that when we're writing a resume, we forget how amazing, how special. We forget all the amazing things we've done, right, which is why you want to work with a coach or with someone else and say, hey, well ask me about my career, and then you're gonna uncover all the gold, all the amazing things you've done for companies if you have, if it's your first job, talk about your high school achievements, where your volunteer volunteership, and then what you want to do is create a highlight section or an achievement section or a recognition section, and you put those up there and then list your responsibilities those so they they're hooked onto the bait and now you reel them in with the achievements, highlights and recognition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we can we do this? Can we kind of like? Can you we want to walk one of us through this?
Speaker 4: Oh man, actually speak for yourself.
Speaker 2: Just so that I want people, because I want our audience to feel like I can do this. And sometimes watching somebody go through the process, you go, oh, I get it. That's what he means, right, Like yeah, yes, a world lesson versus a word lesson.
Speaker 3: Right Okay, yeah, yeah, so let's you don't.
Speaker 2: Have to go really, you know, just kind of touch on it. So what kind of questions would you ask me if you were if I were writing a resume? Right? Yeah, okay, So I need some pizzazz up top. So I have a logo, yep, So so I put my little logo there. Yes, okay, great, Now what.
Speaker 3: Okay, beautiful, So need so that we don't spend too much time on it, I'm going to make it really quick. So seafood m hm, what name one responsibility that you have, you know, managing the martial arts.
Speaker 2: Center, chief cook and bottle washer.
Speaker 3: Well, you know you're you're there, You're the instructor, instructor.
Speaker 2: I'm the owner of the academy. I oversee training the instructors and operations, managing paying the.
Speaker 3: Bills, beautiful, okay, responsibilities right, marketing operation, and you would say that every single martial arts owner would have those same responsibilities, right, yes, okay. So now let's jump to the top to our achievements, Highlights and recognition section. So, how many of your students have been recognized for excellence in the field of martial arts?
Speaker 4: Long list?
Speaker 2: Long list?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: Would you say it's over two hundred or fifty or one hundred?
Speaker 2: At least two hundred, okay, at least two hundred. There you go to NASA. I have students who are in elite athletes and sports exactly. I have students that are working for government agency. Yes, so that's the bullet So and I have students all over the world. Yeah, successfully, have coached over two hundred elite athletes have gone on to have successful careers due to their march the instructional practice of a sea for ruling, and that's that alone will get you that next contract an opportunity exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know we could go super.
Speaker 2: What about skills, don't I have to talk about my skill as a manager is a.
Speaker 3: So that gets me to another section. So the resume. So there's a theory behind the resume. The resume should do all the selling, and that's what we forget. A lot of people write a resume as telling. You're just telling your resume is the selling point. Should do all the selling so that when you walk in, they're already sold. They just want to figure out if you're a real person person sorry, and if you're a culture fit and that's you know, obviously we'll talk about interviewing, but if you want to give them a little bit of hint of your personality, what I do is I have my clients take a personality test figure out their strengths and weaknesses, because that's that's going to tie in with the interviewing. Really cool and then what you're gonna do if you're gonna set expectations, right, So what is satisfaction when whatever you expect shows up at the door, right? Or if it's even better, right, that's ultimately even better satisfaction, right, it exceeds right. So if you have your true core strengths or personality traits, they're going to expect a certain person, right, And they already bought you because you have this amazing resume. Right now, you walk in the door and the person that they pictured is the person that walks in. You're already two four or five steps ahead of all the other candidates.
Speaker 2: I guaran you really look the part. You're acting the part, right, and you are the party. You are the exactly what they read.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they visualized you as a certain person and you walked in and they said, this is the guy we were buying.
Speaker 1: So I have a question a lot of people I've read in many places about resumes. It it should be one page. Is that true?
Speaker 3: That's no longer true. Unfortunately, after the two thousand and eight two thousand and nine collapse, people just started having jobs and then you know, left that job because that went bankrupt, or this job clothes, and then with COVID, we already know how the world really shuffled. So I would say, if you're coming out of college, you want a one page resume. If you have about two or three years career, you can have a two page resume. Own resume is longer than that, or really for the higher up when you have like really big projects that you've worked on. So I would say two pages if you've been in the workforce and one page for entry level.
Speaker 1: That's very interesting. Would you recommend for people to add a picture on it and things like that?
Speaker 3: So if you are international, it's almost a given that you have to add a picture. That's what I found, Like, if you're applying for somewhere in the Philippines or Vietnam, you have to have a picture as part of the culture. In America, we don't yet have that, and thank goodness, because you don't want anyone really judging you from the way you look, because that's not really where your skill set is. If you're preparing like a CV or a media one sheet, which is a little bit different where you're going to be a speaker or for for maybe being on entertainment or media, then you might want to have a picture, because that's they're going to see the person that's going to be on stage or in a particular show.
Speaker 2: Yes, what about LinkedIn? I mean a lot of people discover talent on LinkedIn, they searched that. I can't tell you how many people hit my profile up on a weekly basis.
Speaker 3: Yes, LinkedIn is a great platform, particularly if you're looking for more sophisticated jobs. Yeah, so I would say LinkedIn is a really good source, particularly if you have a four year degree. If you don't have a four year degree, you might want to go to Indeed, which aggregates all the jobs in the workforce. So indeed, if you're a professional, definitely chopping down your career, and if you are don't have a four year degree, Indeed might be the better place for you.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. You're probably going to ask the same question I'm going to ask. But I know a lot of companies are doing away with this idea of having a bachelor's degree.
Speaker 3: Now, that's actually very true, seafoo, And the reason being is that the marketplace has changed and they've been fighting over employees. Right. You know, with a good economy, you're trying to figure out you're just trying to get someone in the door to get the stuff done. However, if the economy cools a little bit, then we're right back into fighting this very narrow funnel. Right, So it is dependent on the economy. So we have hired individuals with no degrees in our company. A caveat to this rule or this advice that I'm that I'm saying is if you want to break barriers or break rules, go for it. I think you're you can create your own opportunities. So thin that if you're fresh on a high school, you know, shoot your shot at the CEO. You never know what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: I like, what the what is the worst? They can say?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: No, right, and we all know no, is it not?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: I like that, is there such thing as overqualified?
Speaker 3: Yes? There is? Unfortunately there is. It's a it's a great risk. So let's let's talk on the other side of the grass. Right, the corporation has a great risk of spending a lot of time training you when you yourself say this job is beneath me, or my skill sets are greater than this, right, And so there is such a thing as being overqualified. But if you are overqualified and you do want to take take a let's say you want to cool down your career. Right, Let's say you you want to be a little bit more part time, or you want a job that's less intense, and you do want to take a step down or position or two down. You are able to qualify into those, but you just have to reassure or the employer that this is very purposeful and that you're just not doing it to get a new paycheck.
Speaker 1: Right, And is there a way that that could be done, maybe not having to share as many positions.
Speaker 3: Maybe so right now, there is so much data on individuals that you can find out a little bit too much. And I can tell you that because I do a lot of background searches for my job, and the amount of data that I can get on an individual is quite scary. So withholding positions might come to bite you if they get a service that has a complete history of where you've gotten a W two or a ten ninety nine from ten ninety nine's are hard to figure out, but W two's are a little bit easier, So just be careful if you're strategically trying to withhold a certain position. However, if you just got a new job and you've been there for two or three weeks and you're like, I'm out, I don't like this place, and you go find another employer. I would say, withhold that job that you had now and just make pretendant never existed.
Speaker 4: That's very interesting, interesting stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I have a big question social media and job searching.
Speaker 3: Turn it off. Please turn it off. Employers are very judgy, you know, as they should be. You're hiring a person. You want to understand where their mindset is, mindset is in and you know, not social media. We have a lot of history there, right. You hear about people becoming successful and then someone digs up a tweet and then all of a sudden the CEO is, you know, reprimanded in the corner. And so if you're searching job searching, turn off your social media. Hype up that LinkedIn like go in there, make it all pretty entrepreneurs stuff or spirational stuff, career minded stuff, smart articles. Turn that up and turn all your social media off unless it's very cured. If you if you really have been strategic about the type of person you're promoting out there, then you can keep it all on. But by far largs. Turn it off as soon as you get the job. They're already investing in, turn it all out back in. Just don't go friending your boss so quickly.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh, that's a that's a good question question.
Speaker 4: Right, where do you draw the line?
Speaker 1: Because one thing that I have seen, to be quite honest, in this kind of era, is that there's there's a blurred line between personal and professional, right, Yeah, your life out there. It used to be before that you didn't know how somebody's house looked. You just knew, right, yes, but now you know everything. You know they're insides of their house, their kids, their personal life. It's kind of like a little, I don't know, weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is a little weird. Be very strategic about who you add as a friend from work. The bigger the company, the more bureaucracy, the more politics, and so just be very strategic and uh and just careful mindful is really the way to be and foster great relationships and uh and buffer arts. Don't be too judgmental on each other. You can also be misjudging your colleague because they posted X, right, and so at the end of the day, just if it's going to cause you concern, don't do it. And I think that's a good rule to follow.
Speaker 4: It's really good.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's move to the interview. We've gotten in the door. I handed them a great resume. My LinkedIn is tight, my social media is off. I walk in the door, I sit in my chair. What do I do? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So, see, if you mentioned earlier about like attention spans, right, it's very very people are facal. They're even more facal now. They used to be like the attention span with like I think sixteen between twenty and sixteen, sixteen and twenty seconds, and now it's less than that because social media and the way it works. Yeah, so, and I think you're correct on that. And so brevity is the key. I guarantee you this. Who's ever listening? Brevity is the key. Thirty second answers, thirty second answers, no more than forty five. The only question I allow my clients to go further than that is the tell me about yourself, because they're not yet tired of you yet. And even that question, I say, you better stay within a minute, okay, if you can. If Coca Cola can make us cry, because the polar Bear picked up the Coca Cola in the Super Bowl commercial. Commercials can make us feel and make us get excited about a product or an event. If they can do that within thirty seconds, then so can you.
Speaker 2: So do you have to role play storytelling with them? With your clients, like how to tell a good story? Like somebody asks you, like, so tell us about yourself?
Speaker 3: Like yes, okay, I'm going to drop the best value on this one. Okay, because this is where everybody I can't believe, I just witness.
Speaker 2: Also stick around.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I love it so good question, and so everybody sticks their foot in their mouth and tell me about yourself. I've made this mistake before. So sometimes you say, oh, do you want personal or do you want professional? Duh, it's professional. You're in a professional setting. Okay, so we're going to talk about your professional life. Okay, it's can't be no more than a minute. They're not yet tired of you. Okay, they're gonna get tired of you eventually, but it can't be no more than a minute thirty to forty five seconds. So here's the magic formula. If you want to write this down, it's thirty percent education. So your answer should have thirty percent, education, thirty percent professional, So your career experience thirty percent, your personality traits or strengths, or your attributes. And the last piece is just let them know that you're excited or that you've been looking forward to this, and that's how you can end off that question. So my education, Yeah, I'm happy to be here, my education and blah blah blah blah blah. And with that, I've been able to do my career and I've been able to do one two three x yz. Some of my professional attributes are one two three x y Z. And now I'm super excited. I love this position. It really spoke to me the responsibility to match what I've done before. I can't wait to answer all your questions. Magic formula thirty thirty thirty ten percent.
Speaker 4: You're hied awesome, Thank you?
Speaker 3: How much do you think?
Speaker 2: So? Is this is part of your own formula, that you've created, something that you've found work And is this what makes your book different from other books out there on interviewing and jobs?
Speaker 3: I would say so yes, this was totally created by me just because I saw so many clients struggling where how do we how do you know I don't want to say this term, but basically they would over they would just talk way too much. And then what happens to the interviewer especially that's the first question, they're going to tune you out. If they tuned you out on the first question, you're in trouble. You know, you've got a big hill to climb after that. So, yeah, this is the formula that I came up with to help my clients understand where to cut things off.
Speaker 1: What are some of the misconceptions that you often see and the mistakes that you see that people make.
Speaker 3: Often, Yeah, the mistakes, So there's quite a few we spoke about over talking. The next component is what Seafood mentioned, which is like proper wory telling. And so storytelling is for what we call behavioral questions. So behavioral questions require an example of how you've been in the past, Right, so you know where investments they put that you know, past results don't aren't future expectations. With interviews, you know, your answers are hope what they're saying that's going to reflect their future performance, right, so the inverse of investing, so to speak, and so proper storytelling is key, and that's why. There's an algorithm that exists out there that I had to learn that I was doing naturally, that I used to help people tell a proper story. And then I add an extra layer, which I call the Giovanni factor.
Speaker 4: We want to inquire in your mind.
Speaker 3: Awesome guys love it, and so okay. The the algorithm, the structure is called Star. The star gives you a great method to tell a story. So the way you answer the question is with starting with the situation, then you go to the target right. Star is an acronym situation target action results. That star situation target action results. You can tell a really nice story in there, starting from how things were and then the results is how they were after right. You can use that to tell a negative a positive answer, like you've improved something or you've learned a lesson. Right, here's where I was before I made this mistake, and here's where I am after right. So that gives someone a really concise way of structure and their answers. Later on, you can kind of play around with like target and action where you put the steps, but that gives them at least a framework. But what I realized is the star structure missed a component in storytelling, which is emotional engagement. Right. So let's take a little like I was practicing in the car, and let's say he went to the park. Right, He went to the park. It's a simple statement. So he loved going to the park. He loved going to the park.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So now you start to visualize someone that's really, you know, excited about going to the park. He loved going to the park and found it refreshing.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: It's the same thing the person's going to the park, but now you get a picture of someone that is loving, maybe even kind and soft, and he finds the park refreshing. Right. So when you pepper your storytelling with these emotional key components, what you're gonna do is you're gonna get emotional engagement. And I think it's working because I see some smiles.
Speaker 1: You guys can't see the other side.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think so with this structure and layering this emotional component, you really start to connect with the audience, right, they start to connect with you. Right. So the theory behind my interview coaching is that once you engage them emotionally, it stops being an interview and it becomes a relationship. Right, So maybe you're not the best qualified, maybe you don't have the best resume, maybe you don't have the best background, maybe you're out of high school. And really this is a position for an associates or bachelor's degree. Right, But you've connected. They can walk away and say, you know what, I really like him. Let's give him or her a chance, right, And that's really where you want to walk away from. Yeah, want to walk away with.
Speaker 2: Okay, So now I've gotten opportunity. I've made it through the front door, and they call me back for a second interview.
Speaker 4: Yes, how exciting.
Speaker 2: I need more skills, right.
Speaker 3: No, No, just go ahead and do the same thing you did before. Exactly, Just do the same thing you did before. If it worked, If it worked the first time, it'll get them the second time, and yeah, and the third and the fourth, and so and again. If you're answering this for your perfect interview. If you don't get the job, it's very likely that they identified that this probably wasn't for you. If you're an extrovert in the primary component of this job is introverted work, you're going to be miserable there, and vice versa. So you know, if you get to the fourth interview and you're talking directly to the CEO, there might be a candidate that's a better fit for that role, So don't let it speak volumes about you. They probably did you a favor that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Would you then recommend for you to maybe step up and say, if you have any other positions that may be more suitable for me, to just yep me in mind or.
Speaker 4: Something like that.
Speaker 3: I love that because that's called creating opportunities, right, which is s talked about earlier.
Speaker 4: So show's leadership.
Speaker 3: Hey, you know one thing I say, if you got if you got denied the job, but you made it to the future rounds, but you really like that job. Touch base three months later, you know, maybe a new position opened up. They're not going to go back to their old resumes. Just that's just because the employees don't work like that. And you might have been the second one that they considered. Maybe this next person is failing and they're like that other guy probably would have been better, and you could create an opportunity like that as well. Yeah, don't be afraid to go back to old employers or well old employers, maybe you don't want to go back to, But don't be afraid to go back to someone that you've interviewed for if you really like that job, it'll show, it'll show a lot of effort.
Speaker 1: That you actually want that position, and it does speak volumes about you, right, very reaching out again, Yes, very very so.
Speaker 2: One of the things I've noticed about your process is that it instills the level of confidence in people. Can you tell us about some of the people you've coached. I don't. You don't need to mention names, yes, but how your process is really instilled that confidence and they were successful at it because of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, recently, at the height of being very busy at work and really saying I'm not going to take any clients personally, I was referred a gentleman by a good friend named Rob. And what he failed to mention is this gentleman stuttered. And so when I get on the phone with a young man and he tells me he's been unemployed for something like six to nine months and he used to work for I think like grub Hub or something doing operations. But he stutters, and I hear it, and I'm like, oh, this is going to be a challenge. I've never had a person that has a speech impairment or disability. So, my good heart, I can't say no even the I'm like overworking myself already, and I worked for the I said to myself, GEO, you've been wanting to write a book for a very long time, and if you can get this job, this gentleman a job within four weeks, you deserve to write your book. You need to write that book, GEO, Like, stop getting so busy all the time, and so yes. On the third week, this gentleman had at least two job offers and he ended up taking one. And I was so ecstatic. I remember I was in my office and I stood up and yelled in not a nice word, but a nice word when you're excited. Yeah, And and my colleagues were like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 3: And I'm like, this guy got a job, and I need to write my book. And that became your perfect interview.
Speaker 4: Awful story.
Speaker 3: That's one example. Yes, and I've had like criminals that had criminal history and I've been able to get them back into the workforce, and moms that were stay at home moms didn't know how to market themselves, and we turned the mom job into a full blown resume, not because it is because it is. It is that plus and so so yeah, yeah, there's many, many ways to be creative and really get yourself, you know, get the foot in the door. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you've been through a lot in life. You've faced many obstacles and many challenges, and obviously you're helping other people overcome obstacles and challenges as well. How does your experiences inform you today with overcoming obstacles and how does that inform your coaching to help others overcome obstacles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so a very good question. So I've I've been blessed to work at over ten companies and I've been seeing that gave me the ability to see a lot of job in corporate cultures and just to see management mistakes, to see hiring mistakes, to make my own mistakes, to forget to figure out how to ask for the raise, to not knowing how to ask for equity when it's a startup. So I've made the mistakes, I've seen the mistakes. So ten years of just being in the game of life and mostly in this career world and ten different companies, I've been able to see a lot and so I leveraged that and then outside of that, I just I have had some experiences that have been difficult, and so I really pair that up with having a big heart. And I think if you're with a client, and I would say I do a bit of transformational coaching, is you want to leave them in a place where you fill their cup and if it depletes, just it may deplete. Our cups deplete over time and we need to refresh and recharge. But if it depletes just a little bit but they still are are able to keep it quite full, then you've done your job and that person will likely go on to have a pretty confident, successful career. And also if you're in a successful career, it really impacts your personal life in a great way. You know, sometimes we overwork, which is a little bit different, But I have had people where they're like, I'm miserable in my relationship and we fix the career and it was the career them not being happy or satisfied in their career and bleeds into a nice, romantic and very loving relationship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've seen that during COVID.
Speaker 1: There is a lot of couples and marriages that you actually got divorced because of the pressure of financial strain, right, Yes, that's what brings when you don't have a job, when you're not employed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a heavy burden to sometimes kind of spill over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's some weird statistic like, you know, five hundred dollars more a month will prevent most divorces. I don't know if you've.
Speaker 4: Ever heard that, No, I have it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a stat like that. But you know, we all know that the more we make, the more we spend. So maybe that's that's not all right, but it sounds nice. It's probably very true though. You go five hundred, you want to go buy a nice bag, go ahead, you know.
Speaker 1: How about in asking for a raise or better yet, let's say you're in an interview and you are negotiating, Yes, let's talk about that negotiating. How much should you kind of push and ask and how much should you be a little more kind of laid back and lenient.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's so it's a nice push and pull, then very push and pull. Do your research like anything. Now we have great resources that we never had before glassdoor dot com. It's a great place to go and see what other people write. About companies, they give them reviews, they disclose the salary so you can figure out what the top end for that particular role. Government contracts are a little bit different. They're they're very transparent and you know what you're gonna get paid for a certain class of employee. But you know, in the corporate world there you know use the tools. Glass Stoor is the main one that I would go in research, and there's other little like blog spots where you can get more information. And so I would say, do your research, figure out your bandwidth, figure out what you want, and then shoot just outside of that and they might meet you right there at the top.
Speaker 1: So not don't go overboard, don't ask for way too much, but don't ask for way too literally like a nice middle Yes.
Speaker 3: If you've done your research, you know where it's at, where that is. Yeah, And a lot of times if you don't do your research, what ends up happening is you undersell yourself, right, And then what happens is you get upset when your colleague, when you find out your colleagues making twenty five thousand dollars more, you're like, how come I'm getting paid X? I'm sorry, That's what you negotiated, you know, so it's up to you now in the next review to set yourself up. Keep your successes in an Excel sheet or in a word document. Anytime you have a customer that says, yeah, you did an amazing job, or your boss says, hey, that's awesome. That's ten percent more efficient, you keep that list. So when you are up for that review every year, you're going to go in there armed with all the amazing stuff you've done. They might say, we want to give you X given the one, two, three items that I've done, is there an opportunity to probably increase that four K more ten k more? Phrase it as is there an opportunity? Ask it as a question. Don't take power away from your boss, you know which power dynamics. There is a lot about of what I work on with my clients as well as not taking away the power from other people as they're communicating with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially you know when they're in a position to kind of hire you. Yes, So how do you go in and understand what what your leverage is? I know you said to do your homework right, but some employees or employees or businesses, they don't. They don't disclose that they don't tell you, you know, we're open for negotiating. It's not like a contract when like they say we're open for negotiation.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, So other than that website, let's say we don't find that information on that website.
Speaker 4: How do you kind of gauge that?
Speaker 3: Awesome? Like right now, I'm gonna say everyone needs a chat GPT account Like chat GBT Ask Jack GBT, I swear Chad GPT will say if you you can say, if I want to become a nurse in in in the Northeast and I want to work for XYZ Hospital System, what is the salary range for that? Typical precision and chat GBT will give you a certain bandwidth, it'll have a caveat. You should do your own research, but you can push the model to give you a certain answer. So use that as a tool. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Another great tool for people is BLS dot gov. Oh can you know about it? Right?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Because you type in a career right and it'll spit out a report and you'll see variations of the same career, what they're paying, what the average media and income is, what kind of degree you need, et cetera, et cetera, it's really a phenomenal tool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of technology, right, AI and all these things. We know that a lot of work requires for you to write. Yes, right, some positions require you to write, and some positions are not really happy that people are using artificial intelligence. I mean, eventually we're going to have to kind of give in, right, But I've personally seen some people not be so happy. So how do we kind of go around that? Using chat GPT as a tool, but maybe putting also your own personality in there, Like do you need a balance?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yes, A lot of times just the models are so they speak in a way that's still very robotic or too eloquent. Right you use a certain Yeah, you use a certain word, and they're like, you would never use that word. I've never once heard you say this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I would say start with your own writing and then ask chat GBT to to improve it. You know, grammar syntax, and and it actually even though you ask it to do grammar, it'll help you reformulate it into a much better or flowing passage. If you ask it to write it on its own, it's gonna do this eloquent thing. And then you have to pay play the game of can you write it like a fourth grader? You write it like a fifth grader, you know, And so I would say start with your own writing first, and also just to basically keep your mind sharp. If you continue to offload these thinking processes to the machine, what ends up happening is that you yourself become obsolete skills and you're dropping critical thinking skills. In the one skill that gets us to the next level is critical thinking. Critical thinking is what gets you, you know, to from fifty to one hundred thousand, two hundred and fifty. And the biggest critical thinkers are the CEOs.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that's a great Can I play off that last question and ask you some things? So we're talking about AI, how do you see the job market changing and what skills will we need?
Speaker 3: So right now, that's actually still a dark dark spot for me. We're in a we're entering the age of artificial intelligence and robotics at the exact same time. And there are robots now that are they can cook. You know, we're about maybe three or four years away from all driving truck drivers. One of the biggest employee employments in the country our drivers. So there's a big shift I'm not exactly sure where we're going to go, but I would say learn to leverage AI as soon as possible. You know, open that chat GPT account, play around with it. It can write you a business plan if you do get laid off. But so not exactly sure, but I do know we're entering very heavily into the the age of robotics and AI both at once. It's and the most surprising thing for me is that we all anticipated like the robot to clean the street, or the robot that will that will do the cooking, right, it actually started replacing some of the more thinking jobs coding, marketing artists, right for branding, like the things that don't require the highest critical thinking. But just in that space that was a gigantic surprise for me and a game changer.
Speaker 1: There actually hasn't been an industry that has not been interrupted by artificial intelligence. That's scary, very very right, from content to like every industry that you can possibly imagine.
Speaker 4: Right, So that.
Speaker 1: Gets us thinking, how do we to your point that you want to get into schools and things like that, how do we begin to prepare our younger generation for the new world that awaits them, right for the new kind of employee that they will be. It is going to involve some kind of artificial intelligence.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, exactly. Yeah, this is kind of where I'm at the other end of the spectrum where if you look at some of the greatest thinkers of our lifetime, they actually had a lot of free time to just be just think. I would say to prepare your children for the future. Take away the technology in the early years. Let them be free thinkers, let them tinker, let us let them do crafts. You know, you ever get stuck in that doom scrolling and then you and then you're like it's hard to detach, and then you detach and then you're sitting there and your brain is numb. It's numb, and you're like, what did I just do with the last twenty thirty minutes? So take it away early. That's going to give them the critical thinking skills. You obviously encourage them to read and maybe even like get one of those puzzle construction subscriptions. Yeah, there's the ones that teach first principles engineering and where they build, and maybe get a subscription there, because that's really what's going to drive the future of them critically thinking. Then we can introduce the tools. Tools are pretty much self explanatory at that point.
Speaker 1: I one hundred percent agree with you. It is very important for us to balance. I mean, they do need to learn how to use it because it's their world, right. Their generation is all techniques. Yes, However, the balancing act is so important because you are right when you are scrolling and scrolling and you end up like waking up. Finally it's like, why did I waste an hour or two? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And you feel your name honestly, like sit there and think like my brain is numb, like I've watched this and information has gone out, and now what ends up happening is your brain is trying to tie in a dancing dog, a dancing girl, some guy getting ran over, and then a motivational speakers and another person by my Amazon selling course, and your brain's like, what am I versus reading? Yeah, versus reading a long form article where it's objectively analyzing something and it's forcing your brain to walk through the story and analyze it. And those are the skill sets of the future, you know.
Speaker 5: Don't get me started here, for there are some great books, old school personal development books that during the summer I make my son read and write book reports for me.
Speaker 2: Nice like, but I make them do it anyway because I know the value.
Speaker 4: Love you.
Speaker 2: You learned sales this summer.
Speaker 3: Oh that's amazing. Yeah, sales, what a skill.
Speaker 2: It's a great skill.
Speaker 4: That was my next question.
Speaker 1: What are some of the skills that you see that employees employers are looking for these days? What is something that you see that is like, that's.
Speaker 4: It right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great question.
Speaker 1: I think you mentioned critical thinking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's a lack of people that want to do a little bit extra. So our generation really wanted to do more. Right, you would raise your hand and do I want to do that? And so I would, I would say initiative. You know, there's you know, everyone's at the conference room table, it's the weekly meeting, and it's there's this little problem and no one's raising their hand, right, raise your hand. Take the project on, go out and crush it or fail at it. If you fail at it, say this is why I failed. Here's what I learned. If you crush it, you have that for your next review. No matter what, you move the needle and it's going to show that you took initiative. Initiative is the key component, you know, and and learning how to sell an idea to right, because we could have a great idea and then you're going to go and present that to the to the board, to your boss. One thing I do is I go and sell my idea to one person at a time and everyone's on board, and then I get them all together and then I'm like, hey, so here's the game plan. Everyone's yeah, we're pretty much on board. And and you know, it gets done. And I get into battles at work, and but it's they appreciate it. They appreciate that I'm highlighting some problem and yeah, it may be it may cause a little bit of you know, communication problems and how do we figure this out? And maybe something, maybe we break something in the process, but at the end, we usually make things better. And I think and employers really love that, you know. And I learned that working at one of the biggest hedge ones in the world.
Speaker 2: So, so question for you, when can we expect your book to be out so we can actually hold it in our hand and read it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, people, you're putting me on the spot. Okay, deadline for me is Jan sixteen, However, I am working at a very insane piece right now at work, and we're buying. I work in an investment company and we're buying the most assets we've ever done in one quarter, and so it may delay stuff because there's still a lot of chapters that need to get fine tuned. But Jan fifteen is the target date. Target date, yes, yes, and the firm date will be ooh, we see. I told you he's disciplined and tough on me. I would say, uh no, later by than now. Fab fifteen for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, awesome, Well, we can't wait.
Speaker 3: I'm curious why sixteen fifteen sounds it's fifteen, but it just sounds nice, you know, I don't know, fifteen rolls off the tongue in the tea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fifteen five and fifteen rull right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Because if I say, like the thirtieth, then if I'm late one day, then I'm late the whole month. But if I'm fifteenth and I'm still a few days, they I still got it within that months.
Speaker 2: I'll be looking for it on the fifteenth.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, how do people get in touch with you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Sure, so you can actually find me. I do Instagram posts at the World of Geo th h E w O r L d G I O, and I am on Facebook a little bit. I will start doing a lot more content as we are promoting a few sponsored events and getting for a few ready for a few speaking roles, and and just really living the purpose of trying to help people get to that next stage, especially for I think all of us. I would even throw myself under in this state where it's like, we don't know what's going to happen with the age of AI and robotics, So we need we need to stay tuned, we need to stay alert, and we need to pivot transform develop as things change, because they're changing very rapidly right now, very rapidly.
Speaker 4: Very very much.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well, Thank you so much. Thank you for coming, for sharing your wisdom, your knowledge or understanding right for also your good vibes and energy, and thank you so much too, but thank you for the work that you do because you're helping a lot of people. You know, as you help somebody get a job, you help them stable their life, you help them stable their you know, financial situation, which we already spoke about the effects of the love life all that. So you're really helping them in their their life.
Speaker 4: As a whole.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah. Holistically, we spend the most time at work. If we can get that component right, it bleeds into so many areas of our life.
Speaker 4: That is true.
Speaker 1: We spend so many hours of our day at work.
Speaker 4: Yes, And with that, remember don't just live because every moment counts.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you Gial for joining us today. You guys, we hope to have you back and more projects.
Speaker 3: I want to come back.
Speaker 4: Book all right, you just mentioned the book.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a trilogy. It's a trilogy.
Speaker 1: So we'll see you guys next week, same time, same channel.
Speaker 4: Bye,