Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. This is where we take a whole stack of articles, research papers, notes and basically just dive in to pull out the key insights for you today. Our mission is to really get under the hood of generative AI. It's a technology that's well, it's changing things incredibly fast. And just to give you a sense of how impactful it is, remember back in twenty twenty two the Colorado State Fair Art Competition. The winning piece in the digital art category, theatro tops Space Shelle wasn't you know, painted by a human. It was made using mid journey an AI, a really stunning sci fi scene. It just perfectly captures this blend of creativity and well pure tech. That's where we're starting today. So okay, generative AI. It's making headlines everywhere, creating art, writing code, sounding almost human. But what is it fundamentally? What's the big shift here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a massive shift, really a paradigm shift. You could say, think about most AI you probably come across before. It's usually discriminative. I mean it learns to tell things apart right, classify, predict based on data. It's scene like telling a cat photo from a dog photo. Generative models, though they do something different. They're not just recognizing patterns. They learn the deep underlying rules of the data itself. They learned enough about what makes a cat a cat that they can actually create entirely new cat images, believable ones from scratch. It's about generation, not just discrimination.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, so it's not just sorting or identifying. It's like imagining. Yeah, materializing things. That feels like a huge leap.
Speaker 2: It is a profound one, But.
Speaker 1: I mean creating something totally new like that. This sounds incredibly complicated. What are some of the biggest challenges these imagination machines face.
Speaker 2: You're right, it's definitely not simple for starters. The day itself is a huge hurdle. Real world information is messy, you know, it's full of errors, noise, biases, and the models, well, they can learn those imperfections just as easily as the useful patterns.
Speaker 1: Ah, So garbage in, garbage out potentially sort of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then there's the issue of staying current, especially for large language models lllms. The world changes so fast and the information they generate can become outdated pretty quickly if they're not constantly updated.
Speaker 1: Right, Like asking about current events from a model trained last year exactly.
Speaker 2: And then there's the sheer computational power required learning these incredibly complex patterns and then generating new high fidelity data. It demands massive amounts of compute. And finally, think about evaluation. With a discriminative model, you ask, is this a cat? Yes or no? Easy to check. But with the generative model, how do you evaluate if a generated cat picture is good or accurate? There is, it's a single right answer. It's much more subjective, much more complex to measure.
Speaker 1: That makes total sense. It's not just about being correct, it's about being believable, useful.
Speaker 2: Plausible, believable, useful, coherent, all those things.
Speaker 1: Okay, so despite those big challenges, the promise must be huge, right, that's why everyone's pouring resources into this. Let's dig into some of those applications. Images. For instance, we've gone way beyond simple photo filters. Oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Models now can create incredibly diverse photorealistic images just from say a text description, things you'd never imagine possible a few years ago.
Speaker 1: And it's not just art, right. You mentioned data augmentation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really practical one. Imagine you have only a small data set maybe for training an AI to recognize a specific product defect. Generative AI can create thousands of synthetic examples, different angles, lighting conditions, you name it, to bolster that data set, make the training more robust, maybe even reduce bias if the original data was skewed.
Speaker 1: That's clever using AI to make other AI.
Speaker 2: Better exactly, And in content creation too, generating texts for chatbots, helping writers brainstorm, even drafting emails. We've come such a long way from Eliza back in the.
Speaker 1: Sixties, right, those old rule based bots. Now we have these powerful models built on architectures like transformers.
Speaker 2: It's a different world. But those challenges we mentioned, the messi data keeping up with reality that can cute demands, and that tricky evaluation problem. There's still very real hurdles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, defining good enough for generated stuff, that's a tough one. Okay. So before we get deeper into the applications, how did we even get here? How did machines learn to imagine like this? Let's trace back the building blocks deep neural networks.
Speaker 2: It goes way back. Actually, early ideas in the nineteen forties were inspired by biological neurons. Simple things like the threshold logic unit. But those early models hit limitations famously. Minsky and Paper showed in their book Perceptrons that single Lairer networks couldn't even solve basic problems like the xoor logic function that led to the first AI winter in the seventies.
Speaker 1: Progress stalled right the AI winter. So what thought things out? What was the big breakthrough that got things moving again?
Speaker 2: The absolute game changer was backpropagation. Before that, figuring out how to adjust all the connections the weights in a deep network was incredibly inefficient, almost impossible for complex networks.
Speaker 1: How does it work sort of in simple terms.
Speaker 2: Well, it uses calculus, specifically the chain rule, to efficiently calculate how much each weight in the network contributed to the final error. It tells each connection exactly how to adjust itself, layer by layer, working backward from the output air. It made training deep networks practical. That's what really ended the AI winter and opened the door to modern deep learning.
Speaker 1: But you said even backpropagation wasn't perfect. It had issues it did.
Speaker 2: A big one was the vanish ingradient problem. In very deep networks, the error signal gets weaker and weaker as it propagates backward, so the early layers, the ones furthest from the output, learn extremely slowly or sometimes not at all, like a whisper getting lost down a long hallway.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can picture that the signal just fades out. So once we had back propagation, even with its flaws, what kinds of network structures or architecture started showing up well?
Speaker 2: For images? A major leap was convolutional neural networks CNNs. They were kind of inspired by the human visual cortex. Instead of looking at an image pixel by pixel, CNN's use filters that slide across the image looking for specific local features edges, corners, textures, and crucially, they share weights. The filter looking for a horizontal edge is the same filter whether it's looking at the bop left or bottom right. This makes them way more efficient for.
Speaker 1: Images sharing weights. Okay, and there were improvements on those basic CNNs oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big ones, things like reilu activation functions. They replaced older functions that saturated easily and helped fix that vanishing gradient problem. Kept the signal strong and drop out, which sounds weird but works amazingly well. During training, you randomly switch off some neurons. It forces the network not to rely too much on any single neuron, making it generalize better to new data. Kind of like cross training for the network.
Speaker 1: Huh. Interesting. Okay, so that's images. What about sequences like text or speech or time series data.
Speaker 2: For sequential data, the go to became recurrent neural networks or RNNs. They have loops allowing information to persist. They have a kind of memory.
Speaker 1: A memory, right, but didn't they also have issues with a long sequence they did.
Speaker 2: That vanishing gradient problem hit them hard too when trying to remember things from many steps back, which led to the development of lstm's long short term memory networks. LSTMs were a much more sophisticated type of RNN. They have these internal mechanisms called gates, an input gate, a forget gate, and output gate. These gates carefully control what information gets stored the memory cell, what gets forgotten, and what influence is the output at each step. They were much much better at capturing long range dependencies, crucial for understanding language.
Speaker 1: Okay, so lstm's improved memory. But you mentioned earlier that even they had limitations, especially for really long text, which led to transformers.
Speaker 2: Exactly this is where transformers completely change the game, particularly for language. They threw out the sequential, step by step processing of RNNs and LSTMs. The core idea the revolution was self attention.
Speaker 1: Self attention, we hear that term a lot. What does it actually let the model do?
Speaker 2: Instead of processing word by word, self attention allows every single word in a sentence to directly look at and weigh the importance of every other word in that same sentence.
Speaker 1: All at once, all at once, so no more sequential bottleneck.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it can instantly see how the first word relates to the last word, or how pronoun relates to the noun it refers to, even if they're far apart. And crucially, because it's not sequential, you can process all words in parallel. This makes training on massive data sets much much faster and scalable than RNNs ever could be. It just unlocked a whole new level of performance in scale.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense why they were such a big deal. So if we have these powerful architectures, how do we get them to actually understand and use words? How does text get turned into numbers the machine can process?
Speaker 2: Right? That's fundamental. The early approaches were pretty simple like bag of words. You literally just count how many times each word appears in a document.
Speaker 1: Simple, But I guess it loses a lot.
Speaker 2: It loses all the context, word order, grammar gone, dog bites man and man bites dog look exactly the same to a bag of words model. Not very useful for understanding meaning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that seems like a pretty big flaw.
Speaker 2: So the next big step was word embeddings. These are dense vector representations, basically lists of numbers for each word. Models like word to vec learn these embeddings by looking at the context words appear in. The key idea was that words used in similar contexts should have similar numerical representations, similar vectors. It started capturing semantic relationships.
Speaker 1: So king and queen would be mathematically closer than king and cabbage exactly.
Speaker 2: But even those embeddings were static. The vector for bank was the same whether you meant a riverbank or a financial bank. The real breakthrough for nuance was contextual representations. Models like Burt and Elmo generate embeddings that change based on the specific sentence the word is in. They understand that bank means different things in different contexts. That was huge for understanding language. Properly.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have ways to represent words with nuance. Now, how do we make the machine talk generate text.
Speaker 2: That's the job of language models. At their heart, they're trying to predict the next word in a sequence given the previous words, like a superpowered autocomplete.
Speaker 1: Just predicting the next word. How does that lead to coherent sentences or paragraphs.
Speaker 2: Well, once it predicts a word, that word becomes part of the context for predicting the next word and so on. But just picking the single most probable word at each step, that's called greedy decoding often leads to really repetitive or boring text.
Speaker 1: Right, It might just get stuck saying the same phrase over and over.
Speaker 2: Exactly, So we use more sophisticated decoding strategies. Beam search keeps track of several of the most likely sequences at each step, kind of looking ahead to find a better overall sentence. And then there's sampling. Instead of always picking the most likely word, you introduce some randomness. You might sample from say the top ten most likely words top k sampling, or from the smallest set of words whose probabilities add up to a certain threshold nucleus sample. This adds variety and makes the text feel more natural, less predictable.
Speaker 1: So sampling adds a bit of creativity, stops it being robotic pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it helps avoid getting stuck in loops and generates more interesting output.
Speaker 1: And it seems like the transformer architecture with that self attention mechanism was absolutely critical for enabling this kind of sophisticated text generation at scale. Right. Can you expand on why it was such a turning point for these large language models.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely pivotal. That twenty seventeen paper Attention is all you need. It really did shift the paradigm before transformers. Remember, even lstm's our best sequential models had that bottleneck issue. They had to cram the meaning of the entire input sequence, no matter how long, into a single fixed sized context vector to pass along. For very long sentences or documents that just wasn't enough information got lost.
Speaker 1: The memory was an infinite.
Speaker 2: Right, Transformers, by ditching recurrens entirely and using self attention, broke that bottleneck wide open. Every word could directly attend to every other word, instantly capturing those long range dependencies. Plus, they introduced multihead self attention think of it as allowing the model to pay attention to different kinds of relationships simultaneously in parallel subspaces. Maybe one head focuses on grammatical relationships, another on semantic similarity.
Speaker 1: So it could capture multiple layers of meaning at once.
Speaker 2: Exactly. That ability to handle long contexts effectively and efficiently, combined with the massive parallelism allowing them to train on unprecedented amounts of data, that's what paved the way for the truly large language models, the lms that we have today.
Speaker 1: And from that core transformer idea different sort of flavors or families of models emerged.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Broadly speaking, you see three main types based on which parts of the original transformer architecture they use. First, encoder only models like the famous BURT These are designed primarily for understanding text. They look at the whole sentence at once. Great for tasks like classification, sentiment analysis, or question answering where context is key.
Speaker 1: Okay, understanding text, What's the next type?
Speaker 2: Then you have decoder only models like the GPT family. These are built for generating text. They work sequentially predicting the next word based on the preceding ones. This causal nature makes them naturals for chatbots, story writing, codegeneration. GPT really revolutionized generation with its ability for unsupervised multitask learning, learning many tasks just from raw text.
Speaker 1: Right. GPT is the one most people probably think of, and the third type.
Speaker 2: Encoder decoder models like T five or the original transformer. These have both parts and are often used for sequence to sequence tasks where you're transforming an input sequence into an output sequence. Think machine translation or text summarization.
Speaker 1: Got it encoder for understanding, decoder for generating, and both for transforming and focusing on GPT since it's so prominent, what were the big leaps there?
Speaker 2: Well, GPT two in twenty nineteen was a major milestone, one point five billion parameters trained on a huge chunk of the Internet. What was really stunning was its few shot ability key shot meaning meaning you could give it just a couple of examples of a task and the prompt and it could often figure out how to do it without any specific training for that task. Yeah, it showed an incredible level of general language understanding.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then GPT three came along, and how GVT three was enormous one hundred and seventy five billion parameters over one hundred times bigger. It started showing these emergent abilities things it wasn't explicitly trained for but could just do, like unscrambling words or even basic arithmetic. It felt like a qualitative leap.
Speaker 1: But raw capability isn't always the same as being useful or safe.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, and that led to instruct GPT in twenty twenty two. It was actually smaller than GPT three, but critically it was much better at following instructions and aligning with user intent.
Speaker 1: How did they achieve that alignment through.
Speaker 2: Two extra training steps after the initial pre training, First instruction fine tuning, where they trained it on examples of prompts and desired outputs, and second, crucially, reinforcement learning with human feedback or URLHF.
Speaker 1: Our LHF that involves humans ranking different.
Speaker 2: Outcome Yes, humans would compare different responses from the model to the same prompt and indicate which one they preferred. This feedback was used to train a reward model, which then guided the LM during further fine tuning to produce outputs that humans are more likely to find helpful, honest, and harmless. That alignment step was key for making models like chat GPT practical and safer to.
Speaker 1: Deploy alignment right, that seems super important. Then it also brings up the point about access. Many of these really powerful models like GPT four are closed source. We don't know the exact architecture of the training data. How does that affect things.
Speaker 2: It's a huge debate in the field. On one hand, companies invest billions and want to protect their IP. On the other hand, it raises serious questions about transparency, reproducibility, bias, auditing, and just how can the broader community innovate and build if the cutting edge is locked away?
Speaker 1: So is there a counter movement?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? The open source LLM movement has exploded in response. You have major efforts like met Islama models. They release models with billions of parameters, allowing researchers and developers everywhere to experiment and build on them. They've shown really strong performance on benchmarks for coding, reasoning, common sense.
Speaker 1: Surviable open alternatives are emerging.
Speaker 2: Definitely, and you see interesting architectural innovations too. Look at mixtral frommystrall dot ai. It uses a mixture of experts moe.
Speaker 1: Architecture, mixture of experts.
Speaker 2: How does that work instead of the entire huge model processing every single input token, and MOE model has multiple smaller expert networks, usually specialized transformer layers. A lightweight router network directs each part of the input to only a small subset of these.
Speaker 1: Experts, ah so only part of the model is active at any given time. More efficient.
Speaker 2: Exactly, you could have a model with a massive total number of parameters, giving great capacity, but the actual computation needed for inference is much lower because you're only using a fraction of the experts for any given input. It's a clever way to scale up while managing costs. Plus, Mixed role has a very permissive Apache two point zero license, making it widely.
Speaker 1: Usable interesting any other key open source players.
Speaker 2: Well Dolly from data Bricks took a different approach. They focused on creating a high quality instruction following data set about fifteen thousand prompts and responses generated entirely by data Bricks employees. Their goal was specifically to create an open instruction tuned model without relying on data generated by proprietary models like chat GPT, which often comes with restrictive licenses. You wanted to truly democratize instruction following capabilities.
Speaker 1: So focusing on open data as much as open models precisely.
Speaker 2: And you also have models like Falcon from TII in the UAE trained primarily on web data, and grock one from XAI, which also uses that mixture of experts architecture. The open source space is incredibly vibrant right now, OK.
Speaker 1: It's open or closed. We have these incredibly powerful llms. If they're like general purpose programmable machines, as some say, how do we the users actually program them? How do we tell them what we want?
Speaker 2: That's the art and science of prompt engineering. It's all about designing and refining the input, the prompt that you give to the model to guide it towards the output you need.
Speaker 1: So the prompt is like the code we write for the LLM.
Speaker 2: In a way. Yeah, you're essentially reprogramming the model's behavior on the fly, just using natural language instructions. It's becoming a crucial skill for anyone working with these models.
Speaker 1: And it's not just writing one prompt and being done right. You mentioned, it's iterative, totally iterative.
Speaker 2: You design a prompt, you test it, you see what the model gets back, You evaluate that output, and then you refine the prompt based on the results. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what goes into a well structured prompt? What are the key pieces?
Speaker 2: There are a few core components to think about. First, you often have system instructions or as system prompt. This sets the stage, defines the LM's persona or overall behavior for the conversation, like you are a helpful assistant who explains complex topics simply. This usually persists across multiple.
Speaker 1: Turns, so setting the ground rules exactly.
Speaker 2: Then you have the main prompt template, which is the user facing instruction, often with placeholders where specific input will go. You also need to consider the LM parameters, things like temperature temperature.
Speaker 1: What does that control?
Speaker 2: Temperature controls the randomness of the output. Higher temperature means more randomness, more creativity, maybe more unexpected results. Lower temperature makes the output more focused deterministic, sticking closer to the most probable words.
Speaker 1: Okay, creativity versus predictability.
Speaker 2: Right, And you might set completion tokens to limit the output length. And importantly, there are usually safeguards or guardrails in place, either built into the model or added around it to prevent it from generating harmful, biased or inappropriate content makes sense.
Speaker 1: So beyond the structure, what makes a prompt effective any general stratu.
Speaker 2: Clarity and specificity are key. Be really clear about what you want, don't be vague. If it's a complex task, break it down into smaller, simpler steps within the prompt. Tell the model how you want it to.
Speaker 1: Approach the problem, step by step, instructions exactly.
Speaker 2: And another really powerful technique is few shot prompting.
Speaker 1: Ah, you mentioned that with GPT too giving examples.
Speaker 2: Yes, instead of just telling the model what to do, you showed a few examples of the input and it got output you want. This helps it grasp the desired format style or reasoning pattern much more effectively than just instructions alone.
Speaker 1: Okay, showing is better than telling. What about really complex tasks that require like multi step reasoning.
Speaker 2: This is where the advanced prompting techniques come in, and they are really quite clever. One major one is chain of thought. At prompting chain of.
Speaker 1: Thought making it think step.
Speaker 2: By step Precisely, you explicitly instruct the model to think step by step or show its reasoning before giving the final answer. For problems like math word problems or complex logic puzzles. Forcing it to articulate the intermediate steps dramatically improves its accuracy. It's less likely to jump to a wrong conclusion.
Speaker 1: So you're making the reasoning process.
Speaker 2: Explicit yes, and building on that, you have tree of thought instead of just one chain. The model explores multiple different reasoning paths or branches, like exploring different possibilities in parallel. It then evaluates these different thoughts to pick the most promising path to the solution. It's like enabling the model to brainstorm.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, that sounds powerful.
Speaker 2: Any others, there's REACT, which stands for reason and act. This technique combines the llm's reasoning capabilities with the ability to use external tools tools like what like a calculator, a web search API, a code execution environment, a database lookup. The LLLM can reason about the problem, decide it needs more information, generate an action like search the web for recent news on X, get the result back from the tool, incorporate that information into its reasoning, and continue towards the final answer. It allows llms to interact with the world and access up to date information.
Speaker 1: So it can go beyond its internal knowledge.
Speaker 2: Exactly and one more is self consistency. Here, you run the same prompt often the chain of thought prompt multiple times with some randomness enabled, generating several different reasoning paths. You then look at the final answers produced by each path and choose the answer that appears most frequently or consistently across the different reasoning attempts. It's like taking a majority vote among different ways of thinking, which often boosts robustness, especially for things like arithmetic.
Speaker 1: These techniques sound incredibly powerful for unlocking more complex capabilities. But prompt engineering can't be perfect, right What are the downsides or limitations?
Speaker 2: Definitely not perfect. One big issue is that prompts can be very brittle. A prompt cracted perfectly for one model might completely fail or give weird results on another model, or even a slightly updated version of the same model. They'd always transfer well.
Speaker 1: So you might need to constantly retune your prompts.
Speaker 2: Which leads to the next point. Evaluation is hard. How do you objectively measure if one prompt is better than another? Especially for creative or complex tasks, there aren't always simple metrics, and the iterative process of designing, testing, refining it takes time. In compute resources, which means latency and costs can add up, especially during development.
Speaker 1: Right, and are there risks like people using prompts maliciously?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a growing concern known as adversarial prompting. Bad actors try to craft prompts to trick the model into bypassing its safety guidelines so called jail breaks, or to reveal sense of information prompt injection. Defending against these is an ongoing challenge.
Speaker 1: Okay, so prompt engineering is key, but it has its challenges. Given all this, how are developers actually building applications that use these llms in the real world? Are there specific tools or frameworks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ecosystem around llms is evolving rapidly. Frameworks like lane chain have become really popular. They provide building blocks and abstractions to make it easier to change llms together, connect them to other data sources, and manage the overall application logic slang.
Speaker 1: Chain helps orchestrate things exactly.
Speaker 2: It simplifies common patterns, and one of the most important patterns it helps implement is retrieval augmented generation or.
Speaker 1: Ride ryan do you mention that helps with hallucinations and keeping infocurrent precisely?
Speaker 2: Llms are trained on a snapshot of data. They don't inherently know your company's latest internal documents or real time news. Alright, fixes this. The idea is when a user asks a question, the system first retrieves relevant snippets of information from an external knowledge base, maybe your company wiki, product manuals, recent reports, whatever. This is often done using a vector store, which is like a searchable database for text meaning.
Speaker 1: So it finds relevant facts first.
Speaker 2: Yes, Then it takes those retrieved snippets and augments the original prompt, essentially stuffing that relevant information into the context window it sends to the LLM. So the LLM gets the user's question plus the relevant facts needed to answer it accurately and currently.
Speaker 1: Ah. So you're giving the LLM the specific knowledge it needs, right when it.
Speaker 2: Needs it exactly. It massively improves factual accuracy, reduces made up answers, and lets you ground the LM's responses in specific trusted data sources without having to constantly retrain the entire model. Our rage is fundamental for most serious enterprise M applications today.
Speaker 1: Okay, our rage is huge for grounding responses, but what about more complex interactions like a chatbot that needs to remember the conversation history or applications with multiple steps in branching logic.
Speaker 2: For that kind of complexity, you need ways to manage state the memory of the interaction. This is where tools like lang graph, which builds on lang chain come in. Lang graph allows you to define your LLM application as a graph, specifically a state graph. Each node in the graph represents a function, which could involve calling an LLM, using a tool, or just processing data, and the edges represent the flow based on the current state.
Speaker 1: So it's like a flow chart for the M application.
Speaker 2: Kind of yeah, but it's designed explicitly for building clickle stateful applications. It lets you create agents that can have multi turned conversations. Remember context, make decisions loop branch basically build much more sophisticated and robust applications than simple linear chains.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned tools and agents earlier with React. How does that fit into building applications.
Speaker 2: It's central to making llms truly useful beyond just text generation. By giving an LLLM access to tools like the Tavly search results tool for web searches or custom tools for your databases, and defining how it can use them, you turn it into an agent. This agent can then autonomously decide which tool to use, what input to give it, and how to use the tool's output to achieve a larger goal set by the user. Lang Chain and lane graph provide frameworks for building these agents, managing their state, their reasoning loops, and their interactions with tools and humans.
Speaker 1: So the LM becomes less of a text generator and more of a problem solver that can use external resources.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's about moving from passive generation to active task execution.
Speaker 1: These models are clearly incredibly powerful, and the tools for building with them are getting sophisticated, But we keep coming back to the fact that they are massive, expensive, computationally hungry. Why is optimizing them such a big focus?
Speaker 2: Well several reasons. Scalability is one. We want to be able to run these models for more users more efficiently. Cost is obviously huge. Training and running billion parameter models requires immense hardware investment and energy.
Speaker 1: Consumption, and the environmental impact too.
Speaker 2: I guess absolutely that's increasingly part of the conversation. There's also research like the Scaling Laws work from Kaplan and others suggesting that performance scales predictably with model size data set size and compute. But crucially, they also found many large models are technically undertrained, meaning they are so large that they haven't been trained for long enough on enough data relative to their size to reach their full potential within typical compute budgets. This implies there are gains to be had by being smarter about training, not just bigger.
Speaker 1: How do we get smarter how do we optimize these things starting right from the pre training phase.
Speaker 2: One major trend is focusing on data efficiency. Instead of just throwing quintillions of tokens scraped from the Internet of the model, there's a growing emphasis on using higher quality, carefully curated and sometimes even synthetically generated data like.
Speaker 1: The Microsoft five models you mentioned exactly.
Speaker 2: They use textbook quality data and synthetic stories tiny stories to train much smaller models that achieve surprisingly strong performance, suggesting data quality can sometimes trump sheer quantity. Another huge area is using lower numerical precision. Models are typically trained using thirty two bit floating point numbers f P thirty two, but using mixed precision combining sixteen bit floats like b float sixteen with FB thirty two, or even quantization using eight bit or even four bit integers drastically reduces the memory footprint and speeds up computation, often with minimal impact.
Speaker 1: On accuracy quantization, So using less precise numbers saves space and time, a.
Speaker 2: Lot of space and time. Yes, yeah, you can do post training quantization PDQ, where you quantize an already trained model, or quantization aware training QAT, where you incorporate the quantization process during training to potentially get better accuracy. This lets you run much larger models on the same hardware.
Speaker 1: Okay, data quality and number formats. What about the model architecture itself? Can we make attention more efficient?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's critical because standard self attention has quadratic complexity. The compute grows with the square of the sequence length o in two. For very long sequences, that becomes a bottleneck. So researchers have developed various efficient attention mechanisms, things like sparse attention where each token only attends to a subset of other tokens, or methods that approximate attention using linear complexity. And then there's flash attention, which doesn't change the math of attention, but cleverly optimizes its implementation to be much faster on modern GPUs by minimizing slow memory reads and writes. It's become almost standard now, so.
Speaker 1: Optimizing the core attention calculation. Are there entirely different architectures emerging too, Yes.
Speaker 2: Things like Lindformer perceiver IO, and we're also seeing architectures designed specifically for multimodal inputs right from the start. Efficiency is being baked into the design process. Now.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've made pre training more efficient. What about when we have a massive pre trained model and just want to adapt it to a new specific task. We don't want to retrain everything.
Speaker 2: That's where parameter efficient fine tuning or PFT techniques are absolutely essential. The goal is to adapt the model effectively while only updating a very small percentage of its total parameters.
Speaker 1: Why is that so beneficial?
Speaker 2: It massively reduces the compute cost and time needed for fine tuning. It requires much less memory, meaning you can fine tune larger models on less powerful hardware, And importantly, you only need to store the small number of change parameters for each task, not a full copy of the huge model, which saves enormous amounts of storage.
Speaker 1: Okay, so how do these PEFT methods work? What are some examples?
Speaker 2: One early approach was. Instead of tuning the model's weights, you add a small number of learnable virtual tokens to the input embedding layer and only train those. But perhaps the most popular method right now is LAURA, which stands for a low rank adaptation LAURA.
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 2: LAURA works on the insight that the change needed to adapt a pre trained model often lies in a low dimensional subspace. So instead of updating the massive weight matrices directly, LAURA injects pairs of small, trainable low rank matrices alongside the original frozen weights. During fine tuning, you only train these small injected matrices. The original weights remain untouched. Because these matrices are small, the number of trainable parameters is tiny, often less than point one percent or even point zero one percent of the total model size. Yet it performs remarkably well, often matching full fine tuning performance.
Speaker 1: Wow, only training a tiny fraction but getting similar results. That's huge, it really is.
Speaker 2: And you can even combine techniques likeq LAURA, which applies LAURA on top of a quantized G four bit base model, making fine tuning incredibly efficient in terms of memory usage.
Speaker 1: So PFT methods like LAURA make adapting models much more practical. Now, once the model is trained and fine tuned, how do we make it actually respond faster during inference when a user is waiting for an answer?
Speaker 2: Right Inference optimization is crucial for user experience. Several techniques help here, offloading parts of the model to CPU or DISC if GPU memory is tight, shorting the model across multiple GPUs. Batch inference is a big one. Instead of processing one user query at a time, you group multiple queries together into a batch and process them simultaneously to better utilize the parallel processing power of the hardware.
Speaker 1: Processing requests in parallel.
Speaker 2: Yes, and for generating texts sequentially with transformers, kV caching is absolutely VITALKV cashing. What's up in a transformer decoder? To generate the next word, the model needs to compute a pension over all the previous words. This involves calculating key K and value V tensors for each word. Caching simply stores these calculated K and V tensors from previous steps, so when generating the next word, the model doesn't need to recompute all the keys and values for the words it's already processed. It just reuses the cash ones. This dramatically speeds up the generation process, especially for long sequences, because most of the computation.
Speaker 1: Is reused, avoiding redundant calculations.
Speaker 2: Clever makes a huge difference to latency.
Speaker 1: So looking ahead, then, with all this focus on efficiency and new techniques, what are some of the emerging trends we should really be kipping an eye on.
Speaker 2: Well, Definitely the exploration of alternate architectures beyond the transformer. We're seeing intriguing results from models like Mamba based on states based models, which achieves strong performance potentially without Attention's quadratic complexity, and things like RWKV, which tries to combine the best of R and n's efficiency for long sequences, and transformers parallel training.
Speaker 1: So maybe the rain of the transformer isn't absolute, it's.
Speaker 2: Being challenged certainly. Another big trend is specialized hardware. We're seeing more dedicated AI accelerators NPUs neural processing units being built into chips, alongside efforts to optimize AI software for existing hardware using frameworks like Apple's Metal Performance Shaders MPs or web GPUs for running models and browsers. And maybe the most exciting practically speaking is the rise of really capable small foundational models or SLMs.
Speaker 1: Like the FIE models. Again small but mighty.
Speaker 2: Exactly, models like five two or PI three demonstrate that by using extremely high quality, carefully curated, and often synthetic data, you can achieve performance comparable to much much larger models, but with drastically less compute memory and cost. This could democratize access to powerful AI capability significantly, right.
Speaker 1: Making powerful AI runnable on say a laptop or even a phone.
Speaker 2: That's the direction things are heading. Efficiency across the board, data architecture, hardware, fine tuning is the name of the game right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, this has been fascinating on the tip, but we started this whole deep dive talking about AI art. Let's swing back to images. How do machines generate pictures? What are the key generative models?
Speaker 2: There two main families really dominated early on, Variational auto encoders vaes and generative adversarial networks vas.
Speaker 1: You mentioned them briefly. Auto encoders suggest encoding and decoding.
Speaker 2: Precisely a vee learns two things, and encoder that compresses an input image down into a compact latent vector. Think of it as capturing the essential features, or as sort of barcode for the image, and the decoder that takes a vector from that latent space and reconstructs an image. The variational part is a clever mathematical trick using variational inference and the reparamemorization trick to make this latent space smooth and continuous, so you can sample new points from it and decode them into novel realistic looking images that resemble the training data.
Speaker 1: So it learns a compressed representation and can generate from that space. What about gans, you said they're like a game exactly.
Speaker 2: Jans involve two neural networks competing against each other. You have the generator, whose job is to create fake images that look real, and you have the discriminator, whose job is to look at an image and decide if it's real from the training set or fake made by the generator.
Speaker 1: A forger and a detective perfect analogy.
Speaker 2: They train together. The generator gets better at fooling the discriminator, and the discriminator gets better at spotting fakes. This adversarial process pushes the generator to produce increasingly realistic and high quality images.
Speaker 1: But jans had some issues too, right, like being hard to train.
Speaker 2: They can be notoriously tricky to train. Sometimes the training is unstable, or the generator might suffer from mode collapse, where it gets stuck producing only a few types of images and fails to capture the diversity of the real data. However, lots of variations were developed to address these issues, like deep convolational gans DC jams for better image quality, conditional gans SEA jams where you can control the output by providing extra information like a class label, and progressive game progms, which achieved amazing high resolution results by training the generator and discriminator gradually on increasingly larger image sizes.
Speaker 1: Okay, so vaes and gans were foundational and gans you mentioned are particularly good at style.
Speaker 2: Yes, jans really excel at style transfer, taking the content of one image and rendering it in the artistic style of another, turning your photo into a Monet painting, for instance.
Speaker 1: How do they do that, especially if you don't have paired examples like the exact same scene painted by Monet.
Speaker 2: That's where cycle gan was a brilliant innovation. It enables unpaired image to image translation. You don't need photos of horses perfectly matched with photos of zebras to learn how to turn horses into zebras.
Speaker 1: So how does it learn without matched pairs?
Speaker 2: Uses a clever concept called cycle consistency loss. The idea is if you translate an image from domain A, say horses, to domain B zebras, and then translate that result back from domain B to Domain A, you should get something very close to your original end image.
Speaker 1: Ah, the round trips should bring you.
Speaker 2: Back home exactly. This constraint forces the model to learn meaningful translation mappings without needing perfectly aligned pairs. It also uses discriminators in both domains and often an identity loss to encourage the generator to preserve color and composition where appropriate. Cyclegan opened up huge possibilities for creative image transformations.
Speaker 1: That's really clever. But this ability to manipulate images and videos so convincingly it leads directly to the topic of deep fix right it does.
Speaker 2: Deep fakes are essentially AI generated or manipulated media, typically video or images, where a person's likeness is replaced or altered convincingly.
Speaker 1: We've seen some pretty amazing and maybe sometimes concerning examples. There are creative uses like that Dolly Museum exhibit brings Salvador Dolli back to life or campaigns like David Beckham appearing to speak multiple languages fluently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even things like AI generated fashion models. The technology itself can be used for productive or entertaining purposes.
Speaker 1: How do they typically work? What are the main techniques?
Speaker 2: Broadly, you can think of three modes. Replacement or swamping, where one person's face is grafted onto another's body in a video, reenactment where you take a source video of someone and use it to control the facial expressions, pose, gaze, or mouth movements of a target person in another video. And editing, where attributes like hair, color, age, or expression are modified on an existing image or video.
Speaker 1: And this relies on the AI really understanding faces in detail.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Deep fake generation relies heavily on accurately detecting and modeling facial features. This often involves using standardized systems like the Facial Action Coding System FACS to describe muscle movements, using three D morphable models three dmms to represent face shape and texture, or extracting precise facial landmarks typically sixty eight key points on the face identified using libraries like dlib or MTCNN. The AI learns to manipulate these underlying representations.
Speaker 1: But creating perfect deep fakes is still hard, right. What are the technical challenges?
Speaker 2: Definitely, generalization is a big one. Models trained on certain data sets might fail or produce weird artifacts when faced with unseen lighting conditions, extreme angles or different identities. Occlusions when parts of the face are blocked by hands, hair, or objects are really difficult to handle realistically, and maintaining temporal consistency across video frames avoiding flickering or unnatural transitions is a constant challenge. It's getting better, but artifacts are often.
Speaker 1: Still detectable, and beyond the technical hurdles, there are obviously significant ethical concerns too.
Speaker 2: Huge concerns misinformation, fraud, non consensual pornography, undermining trust. The potential for misuse is serious. This has led to widespread calls for legislation, development of detection tools by companies like Microsoft and initiatives like deep wear, and ongoing research into robust watermarking and providence tracking. It's a critical area.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so. Pulling back a bit as we look across text, images, video, what does the future hole? How are we going to interact with these increasingly powerful and multimodal AI systems well.
Speaker 2: One ongoing challenge, especially with LLMS, is managing hallucinations. We need systems that are not just fluent, but also factual. As we discussed, RG is a key technique here grounding LLLM responses in external knowledge. This focus on factuality and reliability will continue.
Speaker 1: To be critical, so making them more trustworthy.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the trend towards multimodal models is undeniable. Systems like GPT four OH that can seamlessly process and generate combinations of text, audio, images, and video are the future. Think of open AI's Sora model for text to video generation. It points towards AI understanding and creating rich, dynamic content across different senses.
Speaker 1: Interacting with AI through more than just texts exactly, and this leads to the concept of AI agents.
Speaker 2: These aren't just models anymore. They're systems designed to achieve complex goals autonomously. They can break down tasks, use tools like web search or code execution, access databases, learn from feedback, maybe even collaborate with other AI agents. We're moving towards systems that don't just respond, but proactively act in the digital and potentially physical world to accomplish objectives. Multi agent systems with feedback loops start to hint at rudimentary forms of self improvement, which inevitably brings up discussions around the path towards artificial general intelligence or AGI.
Speaker 1: Right agents that can chain actions, learn, maybe even collaborate. That really opens up possibilities. So we've taken quite the journey here, a real deep dive into generative AI. We've gone from the basic building blocks like morons and backpropagation, through the revolutions of CNNs, LSTMs, and especially transformers. We've looked at how they handle text, the rise of llms, the open source movement, the crucial art of prompt engineering, and the tools like lang, chain and RAG used to build real applications. We've touched on optimization, image generation with vavaes and jams, style transfer, deep fix, and now these emerging multimodal models and agents. You've seen how these models can create translate optimized reason. But as they get better and better generating content that's increasingly indistinguishable from human creation, you have to wonder how might our very definitions of things like knowledge, creativity, originality, maybe even truth itself start to shift or evolve.
Speaker 2: That's the big question. Isn't it The leap from simple pattern recognition to these dynamic systems that can learn, generate novel content, interact with tools, and potentially even improve themselves. It does raise profound questions about intelligence, creativity, and what it means to understand or create. It's a field moving at incredible speed. There's always more to learn, more perspectives to consider, and the deeper you dig, the more fascinating and complex it all becomes.
Speaker 1: And that's really what we hope you take away from this. Keep exploring, keep questioning, think about how this technology impacts you, your work, the world around you, because this generative revolution, well, it feels like it's really just getting started.