Speaker 1: It's the JB and Sandy Show.
Speaker 2: You can listen online at one three to one Austin dot com. Jimmy, you ever get a phone call from your wife that tells you, oh my gosh, you've got to hear this.
Speaker 1: You've got to listen to this.
Speaker 2: They're super zoop uber excited to share something with you that they recently discovered.
Speaker 1: And have you gotten that call? Oh? Sure.
Speaker 2: I always get nervous with that call because I'm always afraid that I'm not going to find it as funny or as interesting as Trisha does.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm always afraid she's going to share something with me that we cannot afford.
Speaker 1: That's just everything.
Speaker 2: I got one of those calls from Trista the other day, and I actually I found that it's interesting and is I guess it's not funny, but as on brand as you did, So tell everybody what it is, trash.
Speaker 4: So Sandy Landry and I, our daughter went and had dinner at Longhorn Steakhouse in Cedar Park the night before, and the next day Sandy realized he left his credit card there.
Speaker 5: So I was out running errands.
Speaker 4: I said I'd get it, and so I called to make sure they were open to see if they had the credit card and the voice I don't have.
Speaker 5: What do you call it, Sandy, I'm going voicemail.
Speaker 4: Yeah, going voicemail when you call the voice giving you all the information for hours and that kind of thing. I called back twice to listen to it. It's the most on brand voice for a Longhorned steakhouse, that kind of of an establishment that I have ever heard.
Speaker 2: And we'll play it for you in about twenty minutes. No, I'm going to kid, I'm kidding here.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: It really is spot on listen.
Speaker 3: Currently closed to place a future curb side to go order, please visit Longhorn.
Speaker 2: Steakhouse dot com or use the Longhorn app for general questions.
Speaker 1: Presswan just very Texas on brand. You know he's laying on the accent a little extra.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but he sounds like he recorded it sitting by an open fire around the outlet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with with Rip sitting next to him, and he's adding a little grizzle to his voice. Yeah, just a look. Yeah, but it's where I love it. Listen do it again? Uh? Well maybe not, sorry.
Speaker 3: All it's missing is like the McConaughey whistle. At the end of what is up with that? It's gotten out of hand? Is yeah, he's taking it. A lot of people do that when they get older. It just becomes more and more and more of a caricature of itself. He does that intentionally, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: He has to go into McConaughey mode in front of cameras. Surely do you think he's like that when he's just home talking to his wife and kids.
Speaker 1: Probably not.
Speaker 2: But I don't want the rest of the world thinking everybody in Texas talks like Matthews.
Speaker 1: Especially in Austin. We don't.
Speaker 3: Maybe he is Texas, maybe you know, you forget what was it long View that he's from.
Speaker 4: Or yeah, yeah, Sandy, what about your uncle Grady who's from sweet Waters?
Speaker 1: Sweet Water? That's how it was.
Speaker 3: He reminded me of that owl went with the totsy rolled totsy pops when we're a kid. Yeah, how many how many licks does it take to get to the center of a.
Speaker 2: Definitely on brand for the Longhorn Steakhounts good too. If you've never been there, it's it's good. The service is good. And last time we went though, we passed on the bread, which was really hard.
Speaker 1: So you guys are off off of bread.
Speaker 5: We had just run.
Speaker 4: We had just run like eighty seven miles is what it felt like. So they wanted to go there, and I was like, but we're not gonna eat the bread.
Speaker 5: We just did all this good work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, boy, that's the bat.
Speaker 3: Like I just was wondering, is this like an ongoing new wellness thing or was.
Speaker 5: It just a little bit particularly.
Speaker 2: That eliminating but cutting back or making better decisions you.
Speaker 3: Know, Yeah, Okay, I was just wondering because we we've done a lot of cutting out of bread. That one, the one that's really hard when you eat out is chips oh.
Speaker 5: Oh in a Mexican food restaurant.
Speaker 3: My god, it's just like, what's the work around? Do I just get guawk in a spoon?
Speaker 5: There's no substitute. It's either all or nothing.
Speaker 3: But especially at a steakhouse like I worked at a you know, really nice steakhous growing up here high school and college, and that you know, the warm bread out of the oven, just the butter that just melts, oh so good. But we haven't been eating the heavy breads. Like it's hard. But you want to see, go ahead, you do you feel better, you know, if you avoid it. But do you want to see each Risia blow her top?
Speaker 1: Okay? Sure, anyone that serves cold butter? Oh yeah, where it's too cold?
Speaker 5: I will burn your establishment down. What are you doing? How you expect us to spread cold butter?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Come on, you just requested the Can you take this back and microwave it real quick?
Speaker 1: I know, but I should even at someone's house. Trisia's like, oh my gosh, yeah, you got to set it out a little bit.
Speaker 4: Right for dinner time, right out of the refrigerator.
Speaker 5: It's hard as a rock. Oh, it's so annoying.
Speaker 1: It's the JB and Sandy Show.
Speaker 2: You can listen online at one O three to one Austin dot com. If you're listening now, you're just in time because you are about to get little nuggets of knowledge from jv in s handy Tricia.
Speaker 1: You listen up to, I'll listen. This is uh so.
Speaker 2: Someone posted this on Reddit if I found it interesting that it's under the ask men advice thread on Reddit. If you're curious, it says, to all mature men thirty plus, please name one mistake you made in your life, So a young man may never repeat it. It can be anything save a young brother. So you can change that from mistake you made to advice you would give legit.
Speaker 1: JB. You said that a couple immediately came to mind for you. Yes, two things came to mind immediately.
Speaker 3: I do have a twenty three year old daughter, and I have talked to her about these exact things. And you know, and if it was a young man, I would say the same thing. The first one is, and I send these little short clips to my daughter. The power of compounding interest. Yes, yeah, it's like she's twenty three, and I'm like, so if you start putting away one hundred dollars a month at age eighteen, let's say, since I'm talking to some other young man, it's ridiculous what that becomes by the time you're in your forties. By the time you're in your forties, it doesn't sound possible, right, it will be over a million dollars. Yeah, it's ridiculous, Like, and that's not even you know, four oh one k protected. And so you know, fortunately, I put some money away from my daughter when she was born, and it's accumulated and I show her, you know, look what it's this is what it's becoming. You didn't even know you had it, And luckily she hasn't doesn't even know how to get it because I had to hand it over when she's twenty one, and uh.
Speaker 1: It's just so powerful.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you're not going to miss that one hundred dollars a month, right, that's one night out with your buddies, goofing around.
Speaker 4: They should have been teaching that in high school instead of how to sign and fill out checks in che which is what I clearly remember being taught in high school.
Speaker 3: There, how to properly address an envelope right right, how to write a business letter? Really, more life skills, more life skills, right, that's the other one. Yeah, the other thing I would say to a young dude. And I've said this to my daughter. And because it took me a long time to learn this, like when I was in my late teens early twenties, I made the assumption that relationships are really hard and take a lot of work. When it's the right person, it does not take that much work. It's just it's like, you know, and it's and I also said to you know, I've said to her, it's like, you know, sometimes just two people are just toxic to each other and you don't even know why. And then when you're in the right relationship, you're like, well this is easy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, why did I do that other thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And then and then the second part of that is, did you when you were young, Sandy, did you from a girl?
Speaker 1: Did you ever get the I don't want to waste my time? Oh? Yeah, get that speech a lot? Yeah, I get it now. You know.
Speaker 3: I wasted a lot of their time at last, wasted a lot of my own time when this isn't going to work.
Speaker 1: It shouldn't be this hard.
Speaker 4: I think girls get to that I don't want to waste my time mark way before guys.
Speaker 1: Oh, absolutely sure.
Speaker 4: So I think that's why it's such a big player in the breakup relationship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because guy, we're stupid. We're like, oh, we're wasting time?
Speaker 1: Is that what I am? Just to waste the time? Like we can't handle it, We're such idiots.
Speaker 2: Mine mine kind of feeds into yours. Jbi and uh, I think our job. Our friend John Correath said this to me once. He said, but because he's been he's a bachelor's bachelor man. He's always been single, and he said, given the choice between lonely and miserable, I'll take lonely every time. And that is that line movie once. It was Yeah, it is one hundred percent true. If you are faced with being lonely or miserable with someone else, take the lonely because it's way better than the miserable.
Speaker 5: It applies to girls too.
Speaker 4: I have friends who will be in a miserable relationship just so there's.
Speaker 5: A guy with them.
Speaker 4: They would rather be with any guy than to just be alone. I was never like that, but it makes no sense to me, a cat, right, Do something.
Speaker 2: I'd also say to a young person, and not that I'm an alien health, but take care of your body. Exercise, do something. Don't go a decade without exercise something it.
Speaker 1: Does happen, It can happen easily.
Speaker 2: Take care of your body from the you only get you know, sounds so sappy, and but you only get one of these, and so take care of it, you know, don't overeat, exercise, don't smoke, don't drink too much. Just you can live a happy life without all those you know by being healthy.
Speaker 4: So do you notice that the older we get all of those sayings that when we were young.
Speaker 5: Older people told us that when we just roll our eyes at they're all true.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine, like I know you guys have been working hard at it, we have in our house too.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine if you ate the way we do now when you were in your mid twenties.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Yeah, would be amazing, right, Oh my god, would be amazing.
Speaker 1: I'll add one more just for fun.
Speaker 3: And my daughter has really taken this one to heart because I think she's just wired this way.
Speaker 1: And I say, travel while you're young.
Speaker 3: Yep, yeah, it's like you just I was so obsessed with working and you know, moving up the ladder and you know, getting industry recognition, and it's like you wake up your forty and you haven't gone anywhere, right. It can happen really fast. She's been good about that. She went to New Zealand a couple of years ago. She's going to Iceland next month. She's been then, she's talking about a trip to Japan in the fall. I'm like, it's amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you'll never regret spending your dollars on travel.
Speaker 2: I don't think there was I'm trying to find there's no way to find in Instagram, your history of what you sent someone right and looking through Instagram right now, like like you'd like if you have an email, you have a scent box.
Speaker 1: But Instagram, I think it should be in there if you go to that, maybe your activity.
Speaker 2: Maybe I found something I send and I and I really really try.
Speaker 1: Here it is, I did find it.
Speaker 2: I really try to regulate myself and not overdo it with my daughter, our daughter on sending her different videos and stuff that I see on Instagram, but I do do it. And I sent her one recently and it was just a picture and it had some music playing on it, and it basically said, maturity is when you realize that your dad wasn't.
Speaker 1: Being an a hole.
Speaker 2: When he when he when he told you this, or that he just wanted you to be better than all the other lazy bums that are out there, something like that. You know, right, it was something like that. But yeah, I mean don't want I agree travel, but also put it in hard work. Don't be afraid to do hard things. I say that to my dough all the time. Do not be afraid to do hard things. You can do so much more than you even dream of.
Speaker 4: Right, It's hard, just because it's hard doesn't mean you can't do it or shouldn't do it.
Speaker 2: Right, try it. Don't be afraid to do hard things. I would tell that to a young person too. Whatever it is that you think is hard, you can probably do it. It may take some work, but you're gonna get there eventually.
Speaker 1: Well, don't we sound wise? We are wise, Jabie, we were twenty two.
Speaker 2: If if there's a twenty two year old listening to us going shut up.
Speaker 5: When they're in the pippies, they're going to go. Those dudes were right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those guys on the right, they're gonna sit back there and go. Damn. I wish i'd put one hundred dollars a month.
Speaker 3: Away, like old JB told, you're not going to if there's a young person, you're not gonna missed that one hundred dollars a month. Trust me, put it away and just put it in an index fund. If you don't know what an index fund is, just go to an investment and they'll tell you it's so easy.
Speaker 1: Just look at it like I'll just give you.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a good app It's not an ad or one, it's just one. I was showing my daughter it's called betterment. It just drafts. Drafts. You draft a regular amount every month, and then you tell them the level of risk that you want. Just a conservative fund, an SMP fund. You'll be fine. Just forget it, set it and forget it. I wish i'd started that at eighteen, run po peel, set.
Speaker 5: It, forget it?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Why do I have that information in my head?
Speaker 1: What was the product? What was it?
Speaker 5: You said it and you forget it. It was like an oven, right cooking something.
Speaker 1: It wasn't a pocket Fisherman oven.
Speaker 4: Oh man, I watched too much TV on Saturdays.
Speaker 3: Wait, we got We can't move on from this. It's like I gotta note forget it. Logan was the ronco rotisseriy dice Golly.
Speaker 1: Set it and forget it? Oh man, I wonder what.
Speaker 4: Ron He died in twenty twenty one. He died at the age of eighty six. He sold a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: I wonder what his net worth was like when he passed. Oh yeah, I'll find out. Hang on the pocket fishermen man. That was a good one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh what was hold on? What else did he invent? Oh? Two hundred million? Wow?
Speaker 3: A marketing school and that's a long time ago, so that two hundred million. Non.
Speaker 1: No, he died in twenty twenty one, not more recent than I thought.
Speaker 2: Interesting, pocket fishermen, the rotisserie thing. We're kind of learning something here, here we go. Here's his gadgets. The chop omatic, a handpowered chopper that dice vegetables.
Speaker 5: The vegomatic, a lot of amatics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had the we talked about the words history. We talked about the pocket fisherman. He had a smokeless ash tray, a battery app raad device to reduce secondhand smoke. He also he also all you karaoke people out there, Ron Pope Peel is who you can think for mister microphone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no kidding. Yeah, the hey, good looking. We'll be back to pick you up later. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my god, here's something interesting. We're going down a rabbit hole here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He was.
Speaker 3: He was married first to Marylyn nineteen fifty six to nineteen sixty three. She didn't get to see well when she was married to him. She probably was like, this guy's an idiot.
Speaker 1: This is going nowhere.
Speaker 3: It's like, Ron, you're not gonna get rich inventing things too. They split up, Yeah, and then the next His next spouse was nineteen ninety five till he passed, and she's sitting on a two hundred billion at.
Speaker 4: While he invented the inside the eggshell egg scrambler, called the eggs a little scrambler in.
Speaker 6: It because scrambling eggs is so hard. It's so much easier inside eggs. He's got another omadic if you want to hear it. He's got the dial Omatic, a slicy machine for precise cuts of meats, cheeses, and vegetables. And here's probably my favorite rom po.
Speaker 2: Pile of mentioned the cap snaffler, a bottle opener that caught caps to prevent them from falling.
Speaker 5: Snaffler snaffler.
Speaker 1: Wow, Shannon po Peel, she just became really hot. Yeah, Oh kitty.
Speaker 4: He's got a couple more omatics on there too, Sandy, the Somatic and the Whippo Mattic.
Speaker 1: Oh, you got a.
Speaker 2: Better Omannic list than I did. Yeah, the king of direct marketing. He knew what he was doing. He'd get out there. That was really the first info Marshall, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And then came the guys who could set the car on fire and it didn't mess up the paint.
Speaker 5: I was mesmerized by that one too.
Speaker 2: Then you got the guy selling the pillows. That guy's about annoying. I think he went, No, he's still advertisement.
Speaker 3: I think, Well, you know that the Oxy Clean pitchman is a friend of mine.
Speaker 1: Of course he is. Yeah, Sully, Anthony Sullivan. He's a good friend of mine.
Speaker 3: Is that all he does? JB is oxy Clean? No, he does other stuff. In fact, he doesn't own oxy Clean. He is the hired pitch man. He's been doing it forever. His partner did it originally, but he he not only still is the voice of oxy clean, but he uh, it's kind of a cool story. He has a daughter with some some challenges and and he saw that CBD really helped her, and so he decided to become a CBD HMP farmer in Vermont and made a reality show out of it. It's on Vice TV, if you get Vice. It's pretty fascinating. All right, we'll check it out. Stick around more come up on Austin' Davey station. What out three point one