Speaker 1: Yeah, ripped up.
Speaker 2: News.
Speaker 3: You need advice so you don't have come running.
Speaker 4: Just as fast as we can. Shooter's gonna help come man.
Speaker 5: This is the Troubleshooter Show now Tom Martinez, Hey, hey.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Three All three seven one three talk seven on three eight two five five. Today we have Henry Brettes with us from Excel Roofing talking about roofing and getting ready for.
Speaker 4: The reins ahead.
Speaker 6: Also anything near and dear to your your heart in pocketbook Major Mark Major back at the ranch with uh sues and is Deputy bow In there?
Speaker 4: Do I seem anyway?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 4: You do?
Speaker 6: So Okay, Now I have a theory and I want to see if you guys think I'm nuts. By the way, give us a call for problems, questions and complaints and we will solve your problems. And I do have a caller, but I want to say very quickly, we have two things to talk about. But I want to say very quickly, I figured out the Yemen call, and I figured out what they were doing. You want to know what it is. They never gave any any kind of classified information over that call.
Speaker 4: But I think they wanted it to leak.
Speaker 6: I think they wanted that reporter to hear, so that reporter would report, and that's the way of threatening Yemen without actually threatening Yemen. They actually said that Yemen is saying, whoa, they're talking about bombing us. Holy crap. Now do you think that's too far fetched that they would actually pretend they leaked something on a call with a reporter.
Speaker 4: What do you think?
Speaker 8: I don't know if it was intentional. Honestly, I think it's a big nothing burger. Nothing, nothing bad came out of it. I mean, I think the strike went perfect.
Speaker 4: Well, there was no strike. I don't think was. They were talking about possible strike.
Speaker 8: Right, No, no, no, no, they sent the drones in and then right after that.
Speaker 4: They did whatever.
Speaker 6: Okay, Okay, I didn't know they actually executed.
Speaker 4: Did it? Did it happen right after that phone call? Yeah?
Speaker 8: So actually a chat session, Yeah, it was a chat sessionession.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but that's what I mean, after that call, after what happened though.
Speaker 8: Tom is the guy, the reporter that was in the loop on accident. He thought it was a setup, just like you were saying. But he got out to his car and I think he was leaving lunch. The story goes and he turned on the radio and we just bombed the hell out of him.
Speaker 4: It was exactly what the tech said. Oh, okay, of course. See I didn't know any of that, I guess, but it was a great It was a great strike, no matter what. Yeah, Craig, what's going on? Hello?
Speaker 1: Craig fighting with Comcast?
Speaker 4: And why are you fighting with him?
Speaker 1: I have no incoming calls?
Speaker 6: And this is your Comcast phone, your IP phone?
Speaker 1: Yes, this is my uh uh, it's cordless, but it's my landline phone. It's my main.
Speaker 4: Phone over Comcast.
Speaker 1: Correct, I'm sorry, No Century, I'm sorry? Did I say someone?
Speaker 4: Yeah? You said you were arguing with Comcasts? So centry link?
Speaker 6: You have a regular old fashioned landline with centry link essentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. It's a four phone, chordless answering machine.
Speaker 6: Okay, but it plugs into the wall like an old fashioned phone.
Speaker 1: Correct, h okay?
Speaker 4: And what happened to your phone? Where did you get this phone? To begin with?
Speaker 1: The actual phone I bought years and years ago from Harry met okay, Mark or a Walmart?
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, So tell me what when did you first have trouble?
Speaker 1: Uh? Two weeks ago? This coming Sunday. Uh, somebody called me and they said, your phone is not working, and it's not you know, it's not working. So I called my own I have a cell phone as well. I called my landline phone from my cell phone and it didn't even ring. It just chopped off and said this number is no longer in service.
Speaker 6: Okay, I have a very obvious question. Did you try using another phone, plugging it into the wall and taking out that hub?
Speaker 1: Yes, I have kind of as a last resort, a corded landline which I yes also, and it's no nobody can call in on it. I have no no rings, nobody rings me.
Speaker 6: Well, is this the kind of phone that when you pick it up you hear a dial tone or not?
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, And when you plugged in that court, I think that.
Speaker 1: I have to push a phone.
Speaker 4: Okay, I get it.
Speaker 6: But when you when you put your old fashioned phone in there and plugged it in, did you hear anything?
Speaker 4: Did it work at all?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: Same thing. Tried to call my number and there's no ringing on the cordless phone, and there's no ringing on the corded phone.
Speaker 6: Okay, So it's definitely okay. I just wanted I just wanted to eliminate that old phone, and you did. You put a different phone in there, and the different phone didn't work. So I guess what I'm asking is, can you make phone calls outward outbound?
Speaker 1: Yes? And I'm calling you on that number right now.
Speaker 6: Oh that's the Okay, Okay, hold on, hold on, hold on. There is a problem with your wiring, and I got.
Speaker 4: To think what it is.
Speaker 6: You with phone lines, you need voltage to receive a call. Voltage is what triggers the ring, and for outgoing calls you don't need that. So there's some kind of input voltage or something. But I want to get one of our maybe maybe we can do any of my any of my listeners know anything about this? What century Link won't look at it?
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I wanted to go on with. I had been in touch with century Link many times. They have given me two or three different dispatch tickets. The first one dispatch ticket, a guy actually came over here to my house. He checked the line and he said, the the problem is not with you, it's with our switching stations downtown. Okay. So we had to generate another dispatch ticket, and that somehow got canceled or something. I have been in touch with come Century Link many times. They give me repair orders and dispatch tickets, but nothing ever gets my service back.
Speaker 6: Can I ask why you have cell service? I mean excoose me? Why you have landlords landline service?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm kind of an old guy, and I guess that's kind of my considered my last resort.
Speaker 6: So you didn't want to go with a you could get a cheap cell phone and do away with all this, keep the same phone.
Speaker 4: Number and it would be cheap. How much you're paying a month for this?
Speaker 1: I'm exploring my possibilities right now. Well, you know my cell service, my self service I had with AT and T, I have cable.
Speaker 6: Well, why hold on? Why don't you just use your cell phone? Why do you have a phone? I mean your cell phone will work at your house, right, correct?
Speaker 1: Jah, That's one of the possibilities I'm thinking about.
Speaker 6: You know, how much do you pay a month for the sentry link? What is the charge on that sentry link?
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's just the phone almost how much? Almost one hundred dollars a month?
Speaker 4: Why are you doing this?
Speaker 6: Man? You're wasting time. I don't even want to solve this problem. I just want you to get off it. I'm serious, man, I'm truly serious. This is almost one hundred dollars a month for a landline and you have a cell phone.
Speaker 4: I don't know why you have it.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't use it, but I mean I wouldn't pay for it either. I don't know what you want us to do. I don't even want to.
Speaker 4: Waste the Deputy's time on this.
Speaker 6: Why do I care if you get calls in that line when you should even be having that line? I mean, I don't know. It's this is one that's not worth the effort, Kraig.
Speaker 4: That comes out to twelve hundred bucks. The twelve hundred dollars a year.
Speaker 10: You paying two hundred dollars a year to Century Link for crappy service.
Speaker 4: Why do you really need that other than yourself and old guys.
Speaker 6: I'm Tom Martino three oh three seven one three Talks seven one three two five five Frank durand the Realestateman dot com. If you're looking to see what your house will selll for in this unstable market, it's a hot market sometimes, but not for others. Find out what your home will sell for Frank duran is free of charge, no obligation three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Frank durand the real estate maan dot com.
Speaker 11: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 6: You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free no obligation. Comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one.
Speaker 4: Help.
Speaker 11: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: Hi Tom Martino here.
Speaker 6: So there's a new proposal in the state legislature Senate built twenty five zero zero three, And I want to know what it's all about. It has to do with guns Leland Conway, former talk show host on this show, I mean, on this station. We love him, we know him. He's a good guy. He also does a lot of talk radio around the country. Leland, what is this new nonsense? What are they would tell me exactly what it says? What they say it says, and what it really says.
Speaker 12: Yeah, sure for sure. By the way, good to hear your voice, Tom, It is nonsense. So basically, what SBO three does is it bans all gas operated semi automatic rifles and pistols. What that means gas operated means essentially any ar style you know, the scary military style, any type of stemi automatic rifle that is sort of stylized that way, if it has a detachable magazine. Now there's a lot of significance to how they've written this, because it's ridiculous, so you could go and have one if it had a fixed magazine, which changes the entire operation of that firearm and makes that firearm ridiculous and essentially useless. However, if you still want to buy the gas power, the gas operated semi automatic rifle, you have to take an extended firearm safety course plus a hunting course in order to purchase this firearm. But then it gets worse, Tom, because in order to qualify to be able to take the course, to be able to purchase this constitutionally guaranteed right firearm, you actually have to go to get You have to go to the Parson Wildlife Department where they will issue your ability to take this course, and then you have to take this additional four hour course. So the goal here, and this is what's really sinister about this. The goal here is to make it really, really difficult to buy one without the government, the state government, knowing exactly what you're buying, that you're buying it, and that you have it. And then there's one more sinister thing down at the bottom of the bill, and I just actually they've done a lot of amendments to this, so I re read it this morning down at the very bottom of the bill. In the past, as you know, back in twenty thirteen, Colorado essentially put a magazine capacity limit on magazine you know, magazines for firearms, and the magazine limit.
Speaker 13: Is fifteen that's the state limit.
Speaker 12: Prior to this. Anybody who owned one prior to that band basically you know, it was grandfathered in. There was no way to prove one or the other, whether you bought it before or after. But now, according to the legislation, it says that you in possession of such a such a magazine are guilty of a misdemeanor. So we'll instantly make thousands of Colorado's criminals who have thirty round magazines or twenty round magazines from previous Yeah, they were, they.
Speaker 6: Were grandfathered in. They were grandfathered in, but now they're a crime. But I have a question, It's a very stupid, maybe obvious question. I had an AR fifteen just I practiced and I got.
Speaker 4: Rid of it.
Speaker 6: And what I want to know is, I don't know what they're talking about. And this sounds ignorant, But gas powered what does that mean?
Speaker 12: Yeah, so it's basically there's a there's there's this essentially, and I'm not a firearms expert in the sense that I don't exactly like I'm not a gunsmith, right, but there's a chamber in a semi automatic rifle that is like an AR fifteen where gas kind of helps diffuse the heat from the barrel from the explosion of that round leaving leaving the barrel. And so that's why you have like a muzzle flash on an AR fifteen. That's why a lot of AR fifteens will have these sort of rails on the side that are openings that's let that air out. It kind of helps keep it cooler because it's hiring firing a very high velocity round.
Speaker 4: So it's all part of it. So they're talking about like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they keep some of that air to help the projectile. Is that what you're saying is like it's almost like turbocharged.
Speaker 12: Yeah kind of. I mean it's a high velocity round, so an AR fifteen. What's interesting, Like there's when you look at a caliber two to three or five five six, what that is. It's essentially a twenty two, right, Like a lot of people don't realize this, like you think, oh well twenty two is really like enoughing gun. Right, there's not much to it, but it's just a much higher velocity, has more power powder in it, and so it's gonna it's gonna move much much faster. It's slightly longer, but it's really from us. So this says just that, Yeah.
Speaker 6: This is this is what my boyfriend says. That's what I call my uh my companion here gpt. Anyway, the hot gases from the burning gunpowder expand rapidly. Some of that gas is redirected just what you said, it's redirected and used to propel, So it's like an internal like turbo and the gas travels through a gas tube and uh wow, So so but it helps.
Speaker 12: To bolt on that if you want to helps.
Speaker 4: The ejection cartridge, go ahead.
Speaker 12: But yeah, I was gonna say. One of the reason these firearms are designed that way, and this is I don't want to make the liberals for them, but they were designed for the battlefield where you know, these these rounds will go straight through, right, so a lot of times they'll like they'll wound an enemy soldier. And if you can wound an enemy soldier, you can take three guys off the field because two guys got to.
Speaker 13: Carry them off, right.
Speaker 12: But they're extremely fun firearms to operate, and they're extremely great barma guns, and in some cases they work really well for hunting rifles, you know. So there's a lot of different legal and justifiable uses for these firearms. And what happens is these folks on the left, they don't like these weapons because they're effective, right, And that's something that they can't stand. They don't want people to have effective weapons because they misunderstand why the Second Amendment exists in the first place.
Speaker 6: Well, okay, here's the deal. Do you really believe we're going to do any good? I mean, when the Colorado legislature is farther left than California. So I don't know why you think you can even make any headway to defeat this, and I hate to sound like a defeat a Spakan man.
Speaker 12: Well, I think it's going to pass, right, and I think this is one of I love what you said at the beginning, where you were like what they say it says and what it says right. The thing that really concerns me about all of this is that I think Polis has eyes on twenty twenty eight, but I don't think he wants to be.
Speaker 6: Wait eyes on twenty twenty eight as a president.
Speaker 12: I think that's where he wants to run. But I don't think he wants to be the president, or I don't want to. I don't think he wants to be the candidate that actually banned semi automatic firearms, you know, AR fifteens, this quote unquote assault weapons in his state. So this gives him an out, right, This gives him an out because he can say, hey, we didn't ban the AR fifteen, we just required a little more training for it. And who could disagree with that. That's the direction that he's going with this, and that's why I think the fix is kind of in on this. It doesn't mean we shouldn't fight it, because if people call their senator, it's got to go back to the Senate. Now right, it's past the House, it goes back to the Senate. They have to do concurrence, which means the Senate has to agree with all the amendments the House put on it. You know how that works, right, So where we can be the most effective right now is by calling our senator. And then the next place is by you know, letting the governor governor know how you feel about this, so that he recognizes that there's a lot more pushback than he probably anticipated. Because here's here's the worst part of all of this. Tom At the end of the day, they're building a gun registry. That's if you read the legislature, legislative excuse me, the legislative relation. I can't speak. I talked about hosts. I can't speak. If you read the legislation, it says that the Personal Wildlife has to create a data of the information of everyone who goes through these and then purposes one of these firearms. So they're creating a database of who has these weapons so that later, you know, they can come back and they can confiscate those weapons, or they can take those weapons away if they can get to that point. So it creates a gun registry for those who own these types of weapons, which federally is illegal. So we'll see where that goes.
Speaker 4: Right now.
Speaker 6: I understand what you know. I don't trust anything anywhere anymore. I mean, it's like, you know, it just sucks. What do you think people should do right now, Leland? Because I'm going to go on to a call.
Speaker 12: Yeah, right now, they need to call their senator, whoever your senator is, called them and say hey, vote, especially if you live in an area that is represented by a Democratic state senator. You need a call on very politely, obviously, right because disrespect gets us nowhere. But call in politely, say hey, this is why I don't support this bill and I want you to vote against it.
Speaker 6: Got it, Leland? Thank you very much, man, I appreciate you being on. I'll always feel free to call in with any issues. Andrew.
Speaker 4: You want to call about a Tesla? What's going on? Andrew?
Speaker 9: I was just curious if Mark was on. I was wondering how the Tesla and auto drive handles like a four way.
Speaker 6: Stop perfectly, really so it knows where it is in line.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you. I'll tell you a quick story. Tom. You didn't know this either.
Speaker 8: So last week when you were out, Joe Keano was in and when he left. No, actually you weren't out. I'm sorry. We were both here. I was here, Joe was here.
Speaker 4: You were at your home right, And he wanted to try He wanted to try out your car.
Speaker 8: He wanted to try the self driving because he heard me talk about it. So at noon we went down, hopped in my car and he sat in the driver's seat and I told him put in an address. So we put in Mangiano's and it left the circle here and he did not touch the wheel, the gas or anything all the way to Magiano's. Then I simply hit the work button, which brings us back to the station. He went out and bought a Tesla Saturday.
Speaker 4: Are you kidding me? Not kidding?
Speaker 8: He went out and he ordered a Model s uh Saturday.
Speaker 4: So I found that so funny.
Speaker 2: But it handles construction cones really well. It sees everything.
Speaker 6: Mark say, I find this. I find it shocking. I really do.
Speaker 4: It's amazing to me. Something real. When you say you don't have to touch it. Hold on.
Speaker 10: I mean it stops at red lights. It doesn't stops at red lights. It does everything. There's of course it stops at red lights. It does doesn't change lanes, you know, like.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, and mine, I set mine on aggressive, so when it gets me on the highway, you know, it's looking for the fastest way, so it'll move over and Mark zip.
Speaker 4: In front of people and everything.
Speaker 6: That that's just astounding to me. Why haven't the other manufacturers caught up with that?
Speaker 8: They don't close to it, They don't have the technology. So a lot of the companies are going to be you know, leasing I guess I don't know exactly financially how they're going to work it out, but are going to have the Tesla software and they need to reta every time they're cars.
Speaker 4: Every time I think.
Speaker 6: I want some I want another car, you always bring me back to Tesla. And it's so hard to beat, you know, even pricing right now, Mark yeah, you know, I mean they're expensive cars, but so is everything and when you compare to what you get, it's not really well that's not terribly priced.
Speaker 8: At lost battery out there, so the best mileage and then on top of that, you have the fastest cars on the planet basically if you want to get the three motor plaid and then the next step is just the technology. So, Andrew, I do want to tell you something that's even cooler. When we're driving through Frankdown our neighborhood, we have deer and turkey and all this stuff everywhere all the time. I mean, if we didn't see fifty deer on our way home, it would be a strange day. And in the little cockpit, it knows the difference between people walking and deer walking. And I've always wondered if the deer in the person jumped out in front of the car all of a sudden to where the car had to make a choice. I have always wondered if it would know to hit the deer. You know what I'm saying, Tom, Like they actually thought it out to that, because it'll show you a deer literally a deer walking compared to a human walking.
Speaker 14: Wow.
Speaker 4: Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 13: I was wet, like a.
Speaker 9: Like a real busy four way stop down from our office, yep. And it's you know, most people know how to navigate, but some of them will just go And so I was just curious if the place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what I was going to say is, here's another the test.
Speaker 8: Does it yields to the laughter, It yields to the first person that got there, It knows the rules.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's the that's the quick answer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, And you know what, Mark, I swear to you that people who use the four way stop worry me more than the tesla, because I swear to God, I can get there, and I can be camping there for a day, and then another car pulls up and think is this first?
Speaker 4: I mean, I just don't get it.
Speaker 6: I don't know how they calculate who's next. You simply the one who comes to a stop has the right of way first, the one who comes to a stop first.
Speaker 4: But people don't care. Well, and it's the same thing you yield to the left.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well the one to the right, the one to the right has the right of way.
Speaker 8: Well yeah, but going around in a four way, it would ultimately be the if all four came to the exact same time that people, you'd be the last one, I mean right, because it would be the one to your right to their right to their right.
Speaker 4: Hell maybe I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't know that, So stop well, what I was told is if you get there at the same time, it's the one on the right. If you're opposite each other, it's and somebody's turning left you obviously, don't you know, they have to yield to you. And if you're going straight, it doesn't matter. But when it's when it's perpendicular and you get at the same time, the one to the right has the right away. That's all I know is when you're perpendicular. So if you had four cars, you would have two sets of perpendicular cars, and the one to the right would yield.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the way it was.
Speaker 8: It says the first vehicle to arrive goes first, but if you arrive at the same time, the vehicle to the right has the right of wavy exactly.
Speaker 6: Okay, we have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Henry Bretts with Excel roofing. Though they are doing a special gutter cleaning for folks. Henry, tell me what the gutter cleaning is.
Speaker 15: Absolutely Tom, So this is going to be a big deal for the Martino listeners. We usually charge two ninety nine for one story, in three ninety nine for two story, but for this special only all Martino listeners are going to get a ninety nine dollars gutter cleaning special. So if you call Excel Roofing and mention the Martino Gutter Cleaning Special, we will come out there and clean all of your gutters for just ninety nine dollars.
Speaker 4: That's incredible.
Speaker 6: And then you have a great roofer looking at your gutters and if something's up, they can tell you. But Excel ex cel a is an excellent Excel roofing dot com. But you got to call for the Martino special three oh three seven.
Speaker 4: Sixty one sixty four.
Speaker 11: Hundred go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 3: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 11: Time for an insurance check up, free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the Real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martinez here three on three seven on three talks seven one three eight two five five Real quick, Henry, I heard you saying you had some additional things to say about that gut or ad.
Speaker 4: What were you talking about?
Speaker 15: Oh, I was just gonna mention that it's a great deal.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 15: It's it's usually two ninety nine and three ninety nine for our one and two story homes, and just for this special it would be that ninety nine dollars. It's a great deal. It's three oh three seven six one six four zero zero. And then also Tom and just to add on, a lot of these insurance deadlines are coming up for the customers from that last storm. So anybody that's out there sitting on any insurance paperwork looking to get your roof done should get moving on that. You can also give us a call. We'll go to an inspection and get you taken care of.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 6: That's uh three oh three seven six one sixty four hundred. Bill's got some questions on income tax and sentry link.
Speaker 14: Go ahead, Bill, Okay, I'll answer your question first, and you can yell at me. If I donate a vehicle to a charity from my income tax, does it give me a one for one credit.
Speaker 4: Here's how deductions work.
Speaker 6: When you have a deduction, you take it off your taxable income, so.
Speaker 4: You would get the credit.
Speaker 6: The credit equivalent to a deduction is the total deduction times your tax rate. So if you had a deduction of one thousand dollars and you were in the twenty percent tax bracket, you would get two hundred dollars in credit. So it's the it's the deduction times your tax taxable table. You're your tax rate gives you the actual credit that you get off your taxes.
Speaker 14: So I don't buy the value of the vehicle.
Speaker 6: Well, okay, when you don't that, when you donate a vehicle, how much is it going to be worth? Tell me give me a real number, Bill, what is it worth?
Speaker 14: It's supposedly worth about five thousand dollars?
Speaker 4: Okay, what tax bracket are you in?
Speaker 14: Well, I'm sending them five I already sent them five thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: I'm not asking that, Bill, I'm not asking anything.
Speaker 14: I'm asking a tax I don't know. I'm retired, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm probably how much you make? How much you make a year? Bro? How much do you make a year?
Speaker 14: To me? And my wife. We make over one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 6: Well, okay, well you're in a higher tax bracket. You're in thirty eight percent probably, ye, you saying thirty eight thirty eight percent, So I'm going to say thirty eight percent, So you would get nineteen hundred dollars less tax that you pay. Okay, so on that five thousand dollars. No, yes, you deduct the whole five thousand, But the way the tax worksheet works out, you don't get five thousand dollars off. You have five thousand dollars less taxable income because it is a deduction. But then you multiply it by your tax rate if you don't know the real benefit, the real benefit is nineteen hundred dollars. But I want to caution you on something. What did you say.
Speaker 14: To trade and the donation would be to subtract from all gross income.
Speaker 6: Yes, so therefore it's the equivalent. It's the equivalent of the tax rate. Okay times the deduction. But I have a caution for you. In one hundred and fifty thousand dollars range, you're not going to probably get that unless it reaches a certain a adjusted gross you charity is not deductible until you get to a certain amount of your gross income, a certain percentage. I don't know what it is, but every year is different. For they make it, it has to be more than a certain percentage of your adjusted gross income.
Speaker 4: Do you understand that concept?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I just I was just un I asked something.
Speaker 4: No, I want to ask something. How do you make that much money in retirement? Tell me what you're doing, because people like to hear from people.
Speaker 14: Go ahead, Well, I had good jobs. I worked for Excel for over thirty years. My wife was a teacher for over forty years. She was hurried.
Speaker 6: You guys, so you guys do really well, that's congratulations, will thank you.
Speaker 14: The house is if we have no right offs, we don't know nothing. Nobody any money.
Speaker 4: How much? How much did you pay taxes last year?
Speaker 14: Uh? Three or fourth?
Speaker 6: Down?
Speaker 14: Remember three or four thousand dollars? I know, I know this year we paid five five thousand.
Speaker 4: Are you sure? Wait?
Speaker 6: Wait, you paid an additional five But you have money taking.
Speaker 8: Out there's probably taxes coming out of his checks coming in.
Speaker 14: Well, see because years ago when we went to h and All Block, they said you need to uppew deductions.
Speaker 4: So well, if I have you up. I mean, if you don't have him, you don't.
Speaker 14: Right, No, I just changed it. I'm gonna change it now. But I got to keep them.
Speaker 4: I'm going to tell you.
Speaker 6: I'm going to tell you, from my calculations, you probably paid fifty thousand in taxes last year at least.
Speaker 14: Yeah, probably, Yeah, what do you so?
Speaker 6: Here's one thing, here's one thing I want to say, and I gotta take a break. Don't ever do a bad investment or something that you don't really believe is sound, just for the write off.
Speaker 4: Never ever, ever. We got more coming up.
Speaker 11: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one.
Speaker 4: Help.
Speaker 11: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 6: Hi Tom Marts, you know here at three seven one three talks seven one three A two five.
Speaker 4: Five Tom all right, yes.
Speaker 7: So here's my question.
Speaker 17: When you were talking about the gas on the AR fifteen, was that to differentiate using the gas to eject the use cartridge and load a new one as opposed to him. Right, that's what it does, as as opposed to a mechanical right.
Speaker 7: Okay, So it doesn't help the bullet go faster.
Speaker 6: It just reloads. No I thought it did. No, it does not. It's not used in the projectile.
Speaker 7: Just use the loads race.
Speaker 6: It assists, It assists in loading the next round. And they argue that may it makes it too rapid of a fire, right okay.
Speaker 4: As, yeah, that's what they are.
Speaker 6: So if you had the cock at each time or something, or if it was spring loaded, it would not be the same. But they say the gas fire makes it almost automatic because you can just basically as quickly as you can pull your trigger, you can make that thing go.
Speaker 7: Hey, after I also wanted to clarify that for everybody.
Speaker 8: After the break, you got some hate mail. I'm going to read online. You really pissed somebody off yesterday. I think his name's Peter. Oh no, oh, it's great, Okay, you must.
Speaker 6: Let's talk to Richard got off on a Literatard, Richard, what's going on?
Speaker 4: I'll look that up in a minute. Richard, what's happening?
Speaker 18: I called you about a week or two ago when I was in Florida at that vacation run.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you couldn't. You couldn't use the garage because of the bad door.
Speaker 18: You got that right. And the pool heater didn't work.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we paid and.
Speaker 18: Sixty one dollar dollars for that place they gave us. We had to. We actually paid them a little more to actually turn on the heater for ten days, which didn't work. And then they gave us a refund on the heater for three hundred and ninety five dollars, and then they sent another refund saying basically this was to cover the garage. So how much was that six hundred dollars?
Speaker 6: So you have a total of nine hundred off your ten Go ahead.
Speaker 18: I'm sorry, Yeah, roughly nine hundred dollars off the ten thousand. Say, and but I don't think that six hundred dollars is sceptical for not having a garage for a month.
Speaker 4: You no, you see, it's not.
Speaker 6: There is no formula there what we have to do is figure out how to negotiate a better settlement. But you know they don't care. They really don't how much you can do about it. I'm serious, what can you do about it? You just negotiate. Perhaps we give this to somebody to call them.
Speaker 4: I'm Tom Martinez. More coming up.
Speaker 11: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 9: Ripped up.
Speaker 4: News. So you don't have run as the caid.
Speaker 7: The shooter is gonna help.
Speaker 5: Come man, this is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martino.
Speaker 6: I know Tom Martino here solving problems, answering questions, taking complaimants, making your life a little easier, as we've been doing for forty five years now. We have a problem pending here. But Mark says he has a funny email as well. I don't know what I should do first, but this hour is brought to you by water Pros, the best water systems.
Speaker 4: The lowest price is bar none.
Speaker 6: If you want a whole house forever, to get rid of forever chemicals, forever plastics and chemicals, to get the chlorine content down conditions, soften your water and drinking water at the kitchen sink reverse osmosis thirty nine ninety five. Yeah, don't even try a plumber. They don't come close. Three h three eight six two five five five four Waterpros dot net Mark, do you want to do that funny email?
Speaker 10: Mark?
Speaker 8: Most you must have really pissed this guy off yesterday. I'm sure you'll remember who it is. But it starts out and they send it, you know, they send it over to Jojo It says. I've been a listener of The Martino Show for probably forty years. It has gotten so political I have thought about stopping listening to it. Today was the final straw when Tom basically called me in people who believe as I do idiots. He did this in general, not to me as a caller. I've used his referral list in the past, and from now on I will try to find others and will avoid his advertisers. I really doubt that you care as it goes along with the other shows on your station. Now he had to put one more sentence in. Is why I pulled this out at the very end. You ready for the final sentence? Can you even imagine what it is?
Speaker 4: Tom?
Speaker 8: The final sentence after that? And I wasn't on yesterday. You ready for the final sentence?
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 8: I find Mark even more offensive. So I wasn't even on yesterday. That's what drives me crazy about this.
Speaker 4: So Tom is he?
Speaker 9: There?
Speaker 4: Is Tom?
Speaker 18: Up?
Speaker 4: I decide what was he calling about? Guys? What was he calling about?
Speaker 8: And I think he was the one that you told him he's lying. He didn't read the constitution.
Speaker 4: Institution according to Bow because.
Speaker 6: I, oh, yeah, he said he said that he doesn't like what Trump is doing because it's unconstitutional.
Speaker 4: But why is he bringing me into it?
Speaker 8: I wasn't even on it, so I responded, I got this last night, you know, and I always respond nicely. So Peter, the guy's name is Peter. So I put, Hey, what did I do?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 8: Even when I'm not on you have a problem with me? Yike's Mark. So you know what this guy replies this morning, this Peter guy, you ready for this? And this guy so old, he's like eighty two or something. He's the guy that yells at people in the front lawn.
Speaker 4: He goes.
Speaker 8: Some might reply, thanks for your honesty. I'll take that into consideration, especially when it's important how I present myself to the public. He's saying, I should have replied to him. So where I left it off is, you know I called him what he is, a stupid jerk. You know I said, I've held tens of thousands of people on this show. Tom's helped easily one hundred thousand plus and you, on the other hand, Peter, likely have never done anything but complain about people.
Speaker 4: Playing on your lawn and then blessings Mark. So that's how I ended it. Okay, I see, I let Mark to all my pr anyway, I.
Speaker 8: Think you referred to a total body of WARVIW You know this jerk also called me tell me if this tell me if this sounds like me. There was one other email I forgot that was in between here, so I said, hey, why are you I wasn't even on the show, and you're giving me crap. In this email, he puts, since you asked, it's when you were on that I have a problem with you. So he's basically saying any time I'm on the air, I have a problem with you. I find your manner abrasive. Well, I don't think that's true. You are abrasive, Mark, finding you short tempered. I doubt that as well. And you're too quick to jump in. I find you loud. I turned down the RAFO when you were speaking.
Speaker 6: Mark, hold on, I think everything he's saying true. Can you really analyze it?
Speaker 4: It is true. I disagree with every damn thing he's saying.
Speaker 6: No, no, you know what, Mark, But seeing Mark and just embrace it because you are who you are. I say, you're not loud, and you're not aggressive, and you don't.
Speaker 4: Come on, Mark.
Speaker 15: You're living in this guy's head, Rent Freeze.
Speaker 2: I think he's being facetious when he says he's not tongue.
Speaker 8: I am so much room in this guy's skull. It's crazy, and it's because his skull is empty.
Speaker 4: You're all he thinks about. I think he was a shrink, which is even stranger.
Speaker 15: And he probably feels so good right now that you're talking about him.
Speaker 4: He's you know, I don't.
Speaker 8: Believe again he's never listening to the show, because he's.
Speaker 15: Probably listening right now is to hear your reaction.
Speaker 4: He's got an AOL. I do not believe.
Speaker 6: I do not believe in name calling except for one cadaver attorney I ran across years ago.
Speaker 4: I don't Is he still around the guy you said? Is he a real cadaver? By now?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 4: Own see, I thought I was in the morgue when I went into us. You call everybody on YouTube moron? So right there you call people names. No, that's an honor that you ask any one of them?
Speaker 6: Do a poll? Do they do they? Are they proud to be morons?
Speaker 4: Okay, I will, I'll put that pole up. Are you proud to be YouTube morons? Now? I want to talk to Richard.
Speaker 6: Richard the age old problem or the age old Yeah, the age old problem. To figure out is what's thing is worth to a renter or to a vacation or to a hotel.
Speaker 4: You know, really it is. There is no right or wrong answer.
Speaker 6: So Richard was out of place a VRBO vacation rental by owner. And the pool heater didn't work and the garage door didn't work. Those two main things. There were little things, but let's just take the two main ones. If he paid ten grand for this place for the month, what should he be credited?
Speaker 19: Right?
Speaker 4: That's okay?
Speaker 6: Now, Richard, what do you believe? What do you believe would be a good credit? What do you believe would be a good credit? There is no right answer, a wrong answer, but what do you believe?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 18: Well, doc, I think or one of your guys chimed in when I talked to you the last time, he thought three thousand dollars would be good.
Speaker 6: I think that's reasonable. And I would say about that because you know, the pool is a big part of your summer vacation, I mean of your vacation, and I think that's not a bad idea. But they wouldn't even do that.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I asked try that.
Speaker 18: Yet you guys were going to have somebody call, but it was the last I was your last guy on.
Speaker 4: Well, let me ask you that. Okay, we'll do it. We'll do it. Okay, we'll do it. We'll say, Look, you know this guy was totally inconvenienced.
Speaker 19: Now I got him.
Speaker 18: It's there's one other possibility. All these charges that we paid were on visa. I could probably cancel them, but I don't know what good that would be.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't know. I mean, you you can, but you don't want to do all of it. You just want to cancel what you think is fair. Now here's what I think coming out first. Blush should be at least one thousand dollars. For them to offer you anything less as chicken feed, it's stupid. So they should say something like a thousand. Then I wouldn't be insulted.
Speaker 8: I have a feeling now like he might be up against this. I just pulled up their vrbo's information and it says this, listen to this.
Speaker 4: They say it is a big deal.
Speaker 8: In other words, if you book with a pool and the pool doesn't work, we have what's called the Book with Confidence Guarantee, and it offers protection if the property is significantly misrepresented, such as the pool example. But it says you need to contact VRBO customer support within twenty four hours of check in to report the issue.
Speaker 4: Was that done?
Speaker 18: Yeah, Well, it was at VRBO that we contacted it was their management company, Gulf Coast.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but they say VRBO you' they say VRBRBO, Right.
Speaker 18: Well, I think this company probably.
Speaker 12: Works for VRBO.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well you don't know that for sure. You don't know that.
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 8: No, they say they might offer a discount, they might give you a full refund or help you find alternative accommodations. What I'm afraid of is if you didn't contact VRBO, that their response is going to be. If you called us within the first twenty four hours, we would have put you next door where the pool is working, or we would have had the pool fixed, or whatever it comes down to. I don't know, but it's worth It's worth calling them for sure, all right, hang.
Speaker 6: On, I gotta take a break. Three oh three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. Dan McKenzie can do wills for you. Dan McKenzie can do trusts. Dan McKenzie can do even LLC's that are a creative way to keep your assets through your estate outside of probate. All of these things Dan McKenzie can do. McKenzie law.
Speaker 4: We love him. He's our expert.
Speaker 6: A three three COO plans eight three three co plans.
Speaker 11: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 3: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 11: Time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 6: Hi Tom Martine your troubleshooter three all three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five One Clear Choice Garage Doors listen if you ever have a problem with the garage door day.
Speaker 4: Or night, in the middle of the night.
Speaker 6: They have twenty four to seven service, especially for broken springs where you can't get your door open or closed, or regular service. They're great people. One clear Choice Doors dot com. They are garage doors, but the website is one clear Choice Doors dot Com. All the price is right there. You'll never find a better service now. Marianne has a comment on Mark. Let's make this the comment on Mark Dale held down. Go ahead, Marianne, I don't know. She just called in and says she has a comment. Go ahead, Marianne, make it insulting.
Speaker 16: I would hope that it could be constructive.
Speaker 12: I called in.
Speaker 16: Uh oh, it's probably been maybe even it's nine months or so, first only call I ever made. I'm a long, long, long time listener, and my issue was exactly what you'd do so good at? It happened to be a day when Tom wasn't there. Mark was what was the issue resolved on? Bow that I would never call you again? And I really thought I would never listen again. But I enjoy the pros outweigh the cons for me. But anyway, hey, Marianne, Marianne, I.
Speaker 6: Really appreciate I really appreciate this feedback. I need to know, though about the call, specifically, I loved to know, and I want Mark to listen. Tell us what it was about and why you thought you would never listen again? Please tell us.
Speaker 16: Okay, Well, I hate to bother you with the long story, but I'll make it as short as I can. I was moving into a new home. My daughter and her husband bought a beautiful place with a lovely mother in law home for me, and it was a, you know, really an exciting thing. I wanted to get the carpets cleaned. They were probably they probably might have been twenty years old, but the lady that was in here never had a pet, she didn't really live in here, so they were cleanable. I didn't love them, but I knew I would could get by with them for a little while until.
Speaker 18: I decided what I wanted to do.
Speaker 16: I called Stainmaster Carpet. It was. I got a number in Colorado Springs talk to a really nice gentleman who was thorough about how it would go. He made an appointment for me that afternoon.
Speaker 4: At one o'clock.
Speaker 16: At three point thirty, a van showed.
Speaker 6: Listen, Marianne, you're giving us, marian you're giving us way too much detail. But keep try to summarize and get to the part where Mark insulted you on your twenty year old carpet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like he does.
Speaker 4: So many people go ahead.
Speaker 16: Well, anyway, they had given me a that doesn't even matter when the guy. The guy was here twenty five minutes, which was my first issue, and did about eight hundred square feet of carpeting. He hardly was in here at all. I didn't even some of the carpet wasn't even But anyway, I went to pay him, you know, didn't just wanted to get rid of him. I wrote a check and he said, oh, I don't except checks. It was a Saturday, my bank was closed. He backed me up into my kitchen corner, demanding that I find a way to give him cash.
Speaker 1: But anyway, so.
Speaker 16: Let's say we're on the call. Mark says, well, let's just let's just see what we can. Call him up and see.
Speaker 18: What, you know, what his issue is.
Speaker 2: So he gets this.
Speaker 16: Guy on the phone and he starts going on about how these my carpets were so filthy and filled with dog pee and nasty, nasty, nasty shouldn't even been cleaned. That I was an old lady that couldn't be pleased. I mean, I swear to you it could be no farther from the truth. And Mark just took up with that and ran with it.
Speaker 2: Mark.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wait a minute, Marianne Marianne, Marianne, you gotta.
Speaker 11: Let me comment, mary Anne, mary Anne, Marianne, Marianne, mari Anne.
Speaker 6: Hold on, Now, he didn't agree with you, and he he agreed with the carpet guy.
Speaker 4: Right, That's what he was saying. What exactly, Wait, what exactly did I agree with? Did you end up paying him? No, so you didn't pay.
Speaker 8: Him, but yet her corpet? Is it possible I didn't agree with that? Did you pay any part of the bill?
Speaker 4: Marianne?
Speaker 16: I think on that day you just happened to decide to fly with the good Radio idea and you really didn't listen to any of it.
Speaker 6: Well, Marianne, but listen, marian I need to know a couple of things.
Speaker 4: And I agree with you.
Speaker 6: If your perception was that that he was, you're upset because he sided with the guy. Now, Mark would never just do that to do good radio. He would never say, oh my god, you had peel all over your car. I mean, he would do it if it was if it was warranted. But but I really want to say this, and I mean this sincerely. No matter how much we fool around, listen, No matter how much, marian No matter how much we fool around on this show, honest to God, we are dedicated to helping people.
Speaker 4: But I need to know just yes or nos, no big deals. Did you ever pay him?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 12: Nor?
Speaker 16: The next day, Mark asked him on the radio, Well, are you willing to settle with her? Would you like to? I wasn't even looking for a settlement.
Speaker 1: I wanted to pay.
Speaker 4: How much was the bill? How much was the bill? Three hundred bucks?
Speaker 3: Anyway on the risk I did a repair.
Speaker 4: Here's the problem.
Speaker 8: If you would let Tom just ask you questions and you would answer, he's going to point out how wrong you are.
Speaker 4: So go ahead, Tom, Well, I just want to know.
Speaker 6: So you didn't pay anything, and Marianne, how bad was the problem he left you with? Or did he do everything? And you were just upset that he wanted cash? Where did it go south?
Speaker 4: What was the problem?
Speaker 14: I don't know what it was?
Speaker 18: He all violently.
Speaker 16: Aggressive towards me.
Speaker 6: Well, well, when you didn't have the cash, how did he eventually leave your house?
Speaker 4: If you did not have the three hundred you did not pay him? Did he eventually leave in a huff?
Speaker 16: He said, I'm gonna I'm going to put a lien on your house. I said, take the check. It's good, you know you can deposit it, and okay, Mark Mark.
Speaker 4: She didn't do more, I mean really she didn't. She wanted to pay by check. She didn't have get I have no idea even what the issue was.
Speaker 8: I mean, she's basically saying the guy came in and threatened her or intimidated her.
Speaker 4: No, here's I assume I you.
Speaker 6: I assume I got a job and he fixed it Mark, Mark. Yes, he fixed it man, and she just didn't want to. She just didn't have cash, and he got upset. She was upset that he got upset, and then she was upset that you agreed with him, and you probably said something like, lady, just pay the guy or whatever.
Speaker 4: Who knows. I don't care. I don't think it's a big deal. And Marianne, that is certainly not a reason.
Speaker 6: To thank god you came back, because we love our listeners, and Marianne, you know, he was a little aggressive, and he finally left said he was going to lean your house. He never even leaned your house, but he did do the repair. He did do it for three hundred dollars and you never paid him. But but that's okay. You didn't have the cash and that's all he wanted. She left the check and said take it, go on, take it. On his way out, he wouldn't take it. I need to take another call, Tom, I really want to talk to you. You have a comment on Mark. Oh my god day by the way, yes.
Speaker 7: Yes, I just have.
Speaker 20: I got the four of a suggestion with the with you, callers have the first priority.
Speaker 9: But with Mark, we have to listen to all these stories.
Speaker 18: About cars and Telsa's and Grand.
Speaker 20: Farinos and Trump before he even.
Speaker 1: Gets to a call.
Speaker 18: It's usually the second hour.
Speaker 4: Oh well, sometimes listen.
Speaker 15: I want to be fair here.
Speaker 4: Sometimes we're light on calls.
Speaker 6: We don't know why. Some days we can't keep up with them. Some days we're light. There's some kind of traffic pattern we haven't figured out. But that could be that it was a light call day. Another thing could be that he thinks the story is important. But I'm just going to say this, really, honest to goodness, I have never had more peace in my life than having take the show when I can't do it. I swear to God that that it's good to know because I have had over the years, the most hialacious people trying to do this show and they could never do it. And so anyone who thinks, oh yeah, yeah, he's just allowed about yeah, try to do it, because so many people have tried and failed in the past. But but in any case, though we love I love chiding him. I love it, I love it, I love it. So if you want to criticize him, call up. He'll listen. Oh, call up and criticize him. Then did you do did you do a survey of the morons? And if they like being called mars? I will put that up on break though, sir.
Speaker 4: Put that up though. I'm going to do this break and then you can finish the damn show. Well. I love that. I bet we lose Marianneough or whatever her name was.
Speaker 16: Eight eight eight.
Speaker 6: Heating dot com will do a deep clean for forty five bucks and if you ever need a replacement, they guarantee the lowest prices with high efficiency.
Speaker 4: Unit eight eight eight heating dot Com. I love Garrett in the team. Mark brought him to us years ago and he's been great. Three oh three seven seven zero two seven seven six.
Speaker 11: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel roofing dot com.
Speaker 3: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 11: Time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one.
Speaker 4: Help.
Speaker 11: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 8: All right, three zero three seventy one three eight two five five. We've got open lines. I promised to that last guy, Tom.
Speaker 4: I won't tell stories. I don't even have to take that. It's like, that's what I do.
Speaker 8: I talk, Honest to God, if we're at a dinner party, I talk, I talk, I talk.
Speaker 4: Do I not talk?
Speaker 2: You're a talker, Mark, You're very verbal.
Speaker 8: But no matter what, I love solving problems, answering questions, taking complaints, and I'll be damned if I haven't recouped. I mean along with Tom. I mean, we're well over three hundred million dollars. But honestly, this is what we.
Speaker 4: Do day in and day out.
Speaker 8: You've been ripped off by a contractor, you've been ripped off by a landlord, you have a problem with the landlord.
Speaker 4: Those have been happening all the time. That's what we do.
Speaker 8: So if you think I'm too loud, well maybe I am too loud. Maybe I am, but I like having a loud mouth.
Speaker 7: But you do have perfect diction.
Speaker 4: I do have perfect diction. Thank you, Doc.
Speaker 8: I do appreciate that I make fun of Tom all the time because he does not have perfect diction. I want to talk to Henry Bretz. Henry, listen. Oh by the way, three oh three seven one three eight two five five. I would love to hear from you now three oh three, Martino, any comments anything?
Speaker 4: I would love it could use a little love, how about that? That would be nice? A little love? Absolutely, Mark, you do a great job.
Speaker 8: Well, thank you, Henry. Hey, this deal you're having, we're taking advantage of it. You guys come out. I don't know if you know this or not, but twice a year i'd call your dad and say, hey, it's time to get our gutters clean. You guys did our roof? You put on those huge gutters. You can basically roll a tennis ball down them, but instead of doing like a gutter guard or anything, we live out in pine trees, so those pine needles get everywhere, and the gutter guard I've had very bad luck with. They'll actually fall in between the holes and they're basically stuck in there. So when you guys put on those massively oversized gutters, everything just washes away. Now, but I have you out twice a year and usually I pay what is it usually two ninety nine? Yeah, absolutely, So we really support the oversized gutters for one Yeah, because the gutter guards they get clogged rightly, and people they're so sold on that product they overlook their downfalls.
Speaker 4: And normally we do charge two hundred.
Speaker 15: And ninety nine do dollars for one story and three hundred and ninety nine dollars for two stories. So we're running this promo and this is a smoking deal for just today today. I'm going to add another twist to this. Now you can't get them done today, but yeah, get it. But what we offer, we're offering it just for callers today.
Speaker 13: So what do you got?
Speaker 15: What I'm willing to do and Excel is willing to give away five free gutter cleanings to anybody over eighty that lives in the home and they will need to call not their kids today, only andy, give us a call over eighty.
Speaker 4: Absolutely sure. I think your dad did this last year too. You guys got a ton of calls on it.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's it's a big deal.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 15: We we really want to help out the community and uh and take care of our people.
Speaker 4: So that's one hundred percent free.
Speaker 8: What number three oh three, seven, one nine, six four zero zero. Now for the rest of us that aren't over eighty, yeah, ninety nine bucks.
Speaker 15: So if you're not over eighty, we're also running this deal just for today, and it's ninety nine dollars.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 15: It's a smoking deal. It's normally two hundred ninety nine bucks for one story and three ninety nine for two story.
Speaker 4: So you're gonna do ninety nine no matter what. Or is it ninety nine and one ninety nine?
Speaker 15: No, So ninety nine dollars for any house.
Speaker 8: Oh, you're not gonna You can't beat that. And you guys, it's not like one guy comes out there when you guys have done our house.
Speaker 4: It's like a crew.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they come out there and they hit every single gut or they even take the hoses and I've watched them do it. They take the hoses, fire them up, and then put them down that down spout to make sure everything's cleaned.
Speaker 15: Yeah, we want it all the way out, blast everything out and you know, when we're out there, we're gonna be looking for some stuff, you know, if there's any issues with your roof, or you'll do a few inspect You're the free honest inspection, you know, tell you, hey, you have these issues. If you'd like to do something about it, awesome, we'll take care of you. If not, Rich totally understand. Yeah, so we're gonna go out there and really just you know, do the best job we can possibly and take care of our people.
Speaker 16: We Hey, Henry, you had said seven sixty four hundred is it seven six one sixty four hundred correct?
Speaker 8: Seven sixty four yepkay once again, three oh three seven six one sixty four zero zero. And here's the bottom line. If you're over eighty, the first five is one hundred percent free.
Speaker 4: First five one hundred percent free.
Speaker 8: Just get out there and get it done. But he said, no, kid's calling. I mean, here's the bottom line. Excel doesn't want people eighty years old up on their roof. I mean really, that's kind of what it comes down to here. Yeah, it's a seven handler gutters clean forever. What a great free gift.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean really, And.
Speaker 8: Then if you're under eighty or own a house basically uh ninety nine bucks and they'll come out and clean it. I have you guys out, no kidding, no kidding, Henry twice a year to do my gutters. I wait till the snow's done, so generally right after April and then generally right around December. Go ahead, yeah, and then does one other thing for all the listeners. We are actually looking for one veteran in need of a roof, and we try to give back to the community every year. We recently fig uh we finished up a development in Denver with how it out for Humanity. We built some eyes new construction homes for people that were in need. And currently we're looking for one veteran that is really in need of a new roof and we will come out there and do the installation, provide the materials, and take care of the person for free.
Speaker 4: This is just one person.
Speaker 15: So if you call our office three oh three seven sixty one sixty four zero zero, explain their situation, we will take notes and we will do a drawing at some point and move forward that project.
Speaker 8: So a million years ago, or it feels like it, at least thirty years ago. Henry I was in with a guy named Peter Boyles.
Speaker 13: Yep.
Speaker 8: I think your dad used to advertise with them. I don't remember, but I used to advertise heavily. And I was doing a computer show on the weekends. So one of the things I had to do was sit in with a host to learn not to say the F word and what to do and what not to do on the air. So I sat in with Peter and I was on with Tom Beck then too. But guess who came into studio one day and I sat right next to him as close as me and deputy doc one of the main people with Habitat for Humanity, and he was a president of the United States.
Speaker 4: Do you know who it was? You know, I'm just not sure.
Speaker 8: Jimmy Carter, Oh wow, Yeah, he passed away not actually not too long ago. But I got to sit there and he was in town literally building houses. So when you said Habitat for Humanity, it made me think of that and what the nicest guy. A lot of people say he wasn't a great president. I was very young. I mean I was born in seventy two. Don't you remember what years he was president? But his inauguration you went to his inaugurator. I was in medical school in DC at the time. He was such a nice guy, and this was probably twenty thirty years ago. So Doc, he wanted a cup of coffee. I've told this story a couple of times and time's going, oh no, no, not another story. But listen, I'm sitting next to the president and secret service is out. There's only one guy, you know, he's ex president if you will, or former, and he wants a cup of coffee. And we had a coffee room just like we do here. So I go in to get him a cup of coffee. There isn't one coffee cup anywhere, not one freaking coffee cup, not a mug, nothing, So I go, oh, man, I gotta get him some. So I'm going to run down to the very bottom floor. This was at thirteenth in Lawrence downtown, on the top floor, so you got to take the elevator down twenty thirty floors whatever it was. And there was a coffee cart in the lobby. So I'm already going, Okay, I gotta go do this. I'm not going to go back in there and not bring coffee no matter what. So as I decided to get on the elevator, I stopped to use a restroom. As I'm standing up using the restroom, I look down and in the corner is a coffee cup a coffee mug. So I'm going, hmm, what do I do here? So I grabbed the coffee mug under the urinal and I cleaned the living hell out of it. I use soap. I cleaned that thing. I would have drank out of it. I would have eaten off of it, you name it, I would have done it. I cleaned it that good.
Speaker 4: And then I filled it up with coffee, and I went back in and I said, here you are, mister President, and.
Speaker 7: More proof there is a god.
Speaker 8: Gave him the coffee, and sure enough he drank the coffee. And I just always thought to myself, oh my god, did I really just do that?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's nuts. He was a nice guy though, really was.
Speaker 8: All right, folks, listen, Jerry and Jerry, you guys will be up after this three oh three seven one three eight two five five three oh three.
Speaker 4: Martino will be right back. Go with a sure thing.
Speaker 11: Denver's best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one. Help you'll I think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 8: A KI three zero three seven one three eight two five five three oh three Martino, you've been ripped off or taking advantage of We want to hear from you. Hey, I had a question on our YouTube Mark, isn't okay to have three tires in match and one that doesn't. It depends, Jake. It really depends.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 4: If you have like an all wheel drive Subaru or.
Speaker 8: Something with a transfer case, if the tires aren't very close in tread, you can actually do damage to that transfer case. Now, if it's a rear wheel drive or front wheel drive, there's not going to be any problem at all.
Speaker 4: I'm kind of curious on the Tesla.
Speaker 8: On anything that's electric, I don't think it would matter as much at all for wear and tear.
Speaker 4: It might, but really, if you have an all wheel.
Speaker 8: Drive car, A lot of places like Discount Tire, Walmart, Goodyear, Firestone, they will not even do.
Speaker 4: A mismatch one. And I'll tell you why.
Speaker 8: I've had people back in the day argue with me, and Goodyear basically told us this is going back to like twenty ten. Simply don't do it. If it's an all wheel drive vehicle, simply do not do it. And the reason was Goodyear Corporate apparently got talked into doing it over the years by numerous people. One of them lost a transfer case, sued Goodyear and they actually won in court. And if I recall basically the judge's philosophy on it was this, the tire expert did it. The person that had the flat tire did not know any better, did not realize it could damage something. So Goodyear put out something for all the corporate stores, and most of US dealers did the same thing. We just simply wouldn't do it anymore. But if it was just a front wheel drive Honda Civic or a real wheel drive or not, or whatever it was, it wouldn't matter. So that, my friend, is the answer. Now let's go to who's on one? I got two lines open three oh three seven one three eight.
Speaker 4: Two five five. Jerry, what's your question on life insurance?
Speaker 19: You guys do a great job.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 19: My wife has a life insurance policy. I'm the beneficiary. He's had it for fifteen years. We have no other need for it now that we use it as a semi to protect our investments for our house. Can I it's a whole life in church? Can I sell that? Or do I have to call the company and see if it has a cash value?
Speaker 4: Well, a couple questions. How much is the policy for.
Speaker 19: Two hundred thousand?
Speaker 4: And how long have you guys had it?
Speaker 19: Fifteen years?
Speaker 4: And how much does it run you about each year?
Speaker 19: I've tried around six hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know why you'd get rid of it. Why would you get rid of it?
Speaker 8: I mean, if it's if it's two hundred thousand, there's companies out there that could very well buy it, but I don't know what they I don't know what the benefit is. And then what is the at the max term on it? Did you say fifteen years?
Speaker 19: No, I've had it for fifteen years.
Speaker 8: And how long does it stay at that six hundred dollar range. I mean, is it like a thirty year policy.
Speaker 19: No, it's for life, and it'll stay that way for you know, I take ten years younger than I am, and the chances are I'll die before she will. Yeah, and we could use the you know cas to do some other thing.
Speaker 4: Well, how much cash have you built in it?
Speaker 19: Well, that's not a don't like does it have a cash value? I need to check for sure.
Speaker 8: Well, I would assume if if it's whole life, I mean, yeah, you it does have a cash value, but you have no idea.
Speaker 9: What that is.
Speaker 12: You know, I don't.
Speaker 19: I can find out for sure, but I but I don't.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't think I would stop paying the six hundred bucks right now to you figure out how much you have put in there and how much it is built up, and then you.
Speaker 19: Know, if I could sell it to a company with a buy insurance like this, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know if they would buy. I honestly don't know if they'd buy a.
Speaker 7: Company that do it. It's called biaticles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but a lot of times when you have something that you can cash out of like.
Speaker 7: This, well, no, if it has no cash value, but it's going to have.
Speaker 4: I would assume it has the cash value.
Speaker 2: Would Joe Keihano know something about this?
Speaker 4: Joe would definitely know on it.
Speaker 8: In fact, he would probably know someone that could and that actually buys him. Hold on, man, that's a good idea, Suzanne. Let's get Joe on and see if there is any value. But one of the things you really need to do in order to make the decision, Jerry, is you got to figure out what the value of that policy is.
Speaker 19: Right I believe that, yeah, yeah, But hold let's.
Speaker 8: Ask Jill just in general, what the value possibly could be after fifteen years. All right, three zero three seven one, three eight, two five five two lines open three zero three. Martina will get her expert on Joe Chiano right after this.
Speaker 11: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're contenth time for an insurance checkup free no obligation comparison call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the Real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two, Ripped Up.
Speaker 8: News.
Speaker 4: You need advice? Who you don't help?
Speaker 3: Run anxious as fast as we can.
Speaker 4: Shooter's gonna help coming. This is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martinez, Welcome my friends to the only show of is Can.
Speaker 8: We're here to solve problems, answer questions, take complaints. Our goals will make your life a little bit better if you've been ripped off or taking advantage of That's what we love doing. We love exposing the bad guys out there. Honestly, we have fun during the show. We dive into politics sometimes, but honestly, we love helping people. If you need help, maybe you just need some I don't know, advice from an attorney. We've got plenty of attorneys at referral list dot com that come on the air and give free legal advice. We've got great contractors, like in studio with us Henry Bretts. He's one of the owners of Excel Roofing and they have a great special we're going to talk about. But here is the number. I got three lines open. I'd love to hear from you. Three Oho three seven one three eight two five five three zero three Martino, I'm going to bring up one of our experts, but I'm going to bring Jerry back up real quick. He had a question on selling a whole life policy, and Jerry, I, just before we go to the expert, I thought about it, durn break. I doubt there's a market for it, and I have no idea what your surrender fee would be. But I am going to bring up Joe Keiano from my moneymweight dot com. Hey, Joe, let me ask you this. We know if you have a high enough term policy of life insurance, that there is a market out there to sell it. I mean there definitely is. How much they usually sell for maybe you can shed light on I don't know, but when it comes to whole life insurance, I mean I don't know will there be what's the.
Speaker 7: Difference between whole life and term life? Could you explain?
Speaker 12: Can that?
Speaker 7: Please?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 8: Term life you lock in for a period of time, like I think Susannah and I did, what do we do thirty years?
Speaker 4: I think so we have paid I.
Speaker 8: Think eight hundred a month or I'm sorry, eight hundred a year and we're probably fifteen twenty years into it, so that premium will never change. But at the end of thirty years, if I don't die, that's it. There's no benefit. So term is based upon the term. Whole life generally grows with the premiums you put in, and the premiums are generally a bit higher. But there's a cash value. But I started thinking over the break, there's generally a surrender fee if you want to get to the cash. Hey hey, Joe, what do you know about our Jordan the whole life?
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, definitely, So to your point, yeah, whole life builds equity and a lot of them don't have surrender charges. They don't have surrender charges. Universal life is what you're thinking of, had surrender charge. I got you, so whole life in this case, you know, selling the policy, you know, that really is a very odd market for that. I don't think it's as available in today's world, I would.
Speaker 4: Say, as compared to term.
Speaker 13: He's an eighties yeah for term. But with whole life, if you're to sell it, you know, basically what happens is whatever the cash value is in the policy, the client will receive that cash value minus any loans. You know, if there was any money that was borrowed out against it or used to pay for the premium, you know, then that gets minused off the cash value. But otherwise, when somebody cash is out a whole life, they get that cash value whatever is built up.
Speaker 8: Why would you in any term, sand I mean, think about it, why would anybody sell a whole or even a universal life.
Speaker 4: Policy because you could cash out of it.
Speaker 8: I mean, and no one's going to offer you more than what the value of the policy is, unless if they're if they become maybe the beneficiary, like let's say you've got some kind of terminal cancer, but that still seems weird when there's a cash value you to the policy.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and to your point, you know, it's hard to make beneficiaries outside of immediate family or business.
Speaker 4: You got to have an interest generally, you got.
Speaker 13: It an interest, insurable interest. So for your point, if somebody was maybe not able to pay for the premium on the policy, they have a provision called a paid up option. Paid up and so if somebody wanted to keep the policy, keep the cash value and keep whatever death benefits built up in there, they need to do a paid up option. That way they get the best of both worlds, where they still keep their death benefit for the rest of their life on the whole life policy, and they also have that cash that continues to grow, very much like our policies, and they could still use it. So that's usually the most used option. If somebody's looking to sell or cash out, they do what's called a paid up option, so they still get to keep their death benefit and just not pay any more premiums.
Speaker 8: So Jerry said he's been paying end to this whole life policy for what about fifteen years? Jerry, that's correct, about six hundred bucks a year, Okay. So I'm just trying to figure out just a total guestimate. I mean, that's not a lot of money sitting there.
Speaker 13: No, it probably wouldn't be a whole a whole bunch of cash value, I mean, if you look at it that way.
Speaker 4: But the death benefit, he said, is a quarter million dollars.
Speaker 20: Huh.
Speaker 13: I wonder if you and is it term or the whole life?
Speaker 19: Do we know for sure it's a whole life. I'm pretty sure yeah, it is a whole life.
Speaker 13: Yes, okay, yeah, I mean if as how old are you right now?
Speaker 9: Jerry?
Speaker 19: I'm maybe and my wife is seventy.
Speaker 4: Is it on both of you or just you?
Speaker 8: Jerry?
Speaker 19: Yes, her, yeah, just her?
Speaker 13: I got you, Oh, just her, Okay, yes, I mean so there there wouldn't be maybe a whole bunch of cash value. But Jerry, you might want to call it the company and just verify those kind of options I mentioned, which is first ask what the cash value is, Yeah, make your life, and then and then basically see, you know, maybe it's a couple of thousand. I mean, if you've been paying fifteen years and six hundred, you got to kind of do the math there. It's probably no more than you know, four or five thousand, I would say is probably the most, but you you'll get a better number from them. And then also if it's something that you guys are looking at just kind of having the cash but you don't want to pay the premium anymore, you can surrender it and get the cash and leave your death benefit with the company, or do that paid up option the number three now something whole life insurance is paid up.
Speaker 8: Something I mean he could do if you have a deathbend. Do you guys have kids? Jerry, No, oh, you have no kids. I mean I don't even know, maybe they should just take the cash value of it.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know. I have no idea.
Speaker 8: You're eighty shit seventy the policy is on her. I'd call up see what the cash, see what it is, how much you can get out of it?
Speaker 17: So I have a question, are there are there people that will buy the policy or in corporate you know, companies that buy the policy and will wait and get the two hundred thousand dollars on your on his wife's demise, because like everybody else, at some point, she's going to die. So if they have one hundred or two hundred policies, it's almost like you know, when you buy c D.
Speaker 4: I don't know if they allow that. How do we find out that you.
Speaker 7: Can't you change your beneficiary to anybody you want?
Speaker 13: No, why not to anybody?
Speaker 4: You can't? I don't know why.
Speaker 8: It's the way they may well hold on hold on, Jordan, I'll tell you why, Doc, Because then I could take a policy out on you exactly, and you wouldn't even know the policy was out there, and.
Speaker 13: Then the mob would have a heyday. We'll put it that way. If they can buy policies on anybody, and.
Speaker 4: They can no, no, no not.
Speaker 17: But if I if I have the policy, can't I assign the beneficiary to anybody I choose?
Speaker 4: I don't think you can.
Speaker 7: That's different than.
Speaker 17: What you're saying, though, Mark, you're saying it without my knowledge, and I'm saying, Okay, I want the beneficiary to be X. Don't I have that option? Right?
Speaker 16: You do?
Speaker 13: They want to still see that there's some ensurable interest on that, because the thing is is you can put beneficiaries as family members, whether they're blood or not off but family members. You can do it for donations for that, and you can also do it to banks or lending institutions. Now what you're referring to, though, sometimes there was a policy that you were able to sell most that I know of, though, back in the eighties.
Speaker 4: Say that again, they were almost a term policy.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 13: Yeah, That's what I was going to say is sometimes most of them would be the term, but I think there were some whole life as well, just because of the equity value. But the point would be is a lot of them kind of got out of that because it's a big waiting game. Number one and number two, I think it's kind of frowned upon just because just as you said, it's kind of they're waiting on the demise of somebody passing and they're not going to pay you out that death benefit.
Speaker 8: Well, I know for a fact you can sell certain life insurance policies. I mean, there's no doubt about it. I don't know how they get around, you know, having someone close to you having a true beneficiary. I mean, like, for real, I can't just go out and take in insurance out on anybody. And I understand what you're saying, Doc, I mean it's it is different. You should be able to decide who the beneficiary is, and I guess you can, But I don't know technically how does that work when you sell it, Like they start paying the premiums, you're not going to be paying him anymore, right, So, like is that okay to do?
Speaker 4: I don't even have an idea.
Speaker 13: Connect a reverse mortgage.
Speaker 8: Could Walmart start buying policies all the time? I mean, I just don't know.
Speaker 13: They got in trouble for that. Actually, Walmart did get in trouble for doing that. They're putting it on all of their staffs, you know people, but usual businesses. It can only do it for key man or key people employees.
Speaker 4: Doing Yeah, key Man insurance. But that's like Tom and myself.
Speaker 8: If something happens to him, I'll get money because I need him, and vice versa. That's I mean, everybody gets key Man insurance. But I don't think Jerry. Here's what I would tell you, though, Man. I would call up whoever issued the policy and figure out what the cast value was, and I'd almost ask them, I mean, there might be something in that post forget about if you want to change the beneficiary to somebody outside of your wifer, there might be something in the policy itself that says you can't sell this policy.
Speaker 4: You can't sell it for any kind of benefit like that.
Speaker 7: Why would they care? I mean, if you have a polcause.
Speaker 8: They wouldn't want to ultimately have to pay out on every policy they ever did.
Speaker 17: Well, if she passes away, they're gonna pay two hundred thousand dollars two hundred and fifty, okay, whatever it is, and if it's canceled, they're gonna get about fifteen thousand. Well, but the point is, why would insurance company care who the money is.
Speaker 8: Being because they don't want to pay out the two hundred and fifty thousand.
Speaker 7: But they're gonna pay it to somebody when she passes no.
Speaker 8: No, not if they cancel it. Oh if they can't it, Okay, that's what I'm saying. They probably much rather get paid for X amount of time and then, you know, get to fifteen thousand dollars. I just I don't know, maybe, Doc, I don't know. In fact, I would love to know an expert in the Jordan. Do you know anybody that might know the answers to some of these questions?
Speaker 4: What the value of the whole life policy would be on an open market? And can they have it on the open market. I don't even know how they do it. I just, honest to God, have no idea how they do it. Why don't they sell everyone?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 4: Why don't they right?
Speaker 13: And that's something what I'll do is let me let me refer to we have a team here and we also you know, license insurance.
Speaker 12: Equals, so let me just kind of ask ask around and figure it out.
Speaker 8: But his main question, Jerry, we're going to get your information. If we get some better information for you, But Jerry, what you really need to do is call the life insurance people and see what the cash value is and how much you would get, and then you just got to determine, and we'll try to find out if there is any way for you guys to sell it. I would assume it's seventy years old, two hundred and fifty thousand, and then how do these companies even value it?
Speaker 4: What's the woman lived to now? Jordan? What's the average you're in the biz?
Speaker 9: What is it?
Speaker 13: Eighty two two?
Speaker 4: So eighty two?
Speaker 8: You gotta figure if they get two hundred and fifty thousand on average or an actuarial at eighty two years old, what is that worth.
Speaker 4: To them right now? Twenty thousand? Maybe? I mean, I have no idea what that's worth right now.
Speaker 8: You're talking twelve years of even five or six percent interest or even looking at some annuities.
Speaker 4: I don't even know what the value would be.
Speaker 8: What's the calculation if there is a calculation, By the way, that was Jordan Kiano. You can check those guys out at my money my way dot com. I got to take a break. Three zero three seven one three eight two five five three oh three Martino, we want to hear from you.
Speaker 11: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel roofing dot com.
Speaker 6: You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 8: All right, three zero three seven one three eight two five five. Don't forget three zero three Martino. That number works on and off the air. Help in troubleshooter dot com.
Speaker 4: We love helping people. You need help.
Speaker 8: Three zero three seven one three a two five five. We got two open lines right now. I also want to talk again to Henry. Henry, you said the uh free gutter cleaning that's done. You got five of them like instantly, didn't you?
Speaker 15: Yes, Mark, So we had five people that called up that are over eighty getting their homes gutters cleaned. Yep, and the offer still stands. That smoking deal just ninety nine dollars. We're normally that two ninety nine and three ninety nine for two stories. But for everybody that calls up today and mentions the Martino gutter cleaning special, it is just ninety.
Speaker 8: Nine dollars and you're not going to go wrong. I've had it done. Anybody listening, I've had it done.
Speaker 4: Probably.
Speaker 8: I think you guys put on my roof maybe four or five years ago somewhere along there, and I have them out twice a year. And if you really do the math, even at the normal price, my house would be two ninety nine. Even at the normal price. If you were thinking of getting some kind of leaf guard or whatever. The different ones are at there, and there is some good ones out there, but if you start looking at the math, you can have your gutters clean spotless every year for like fifteen years without ever coming close to what some of those products would cost in general. But you guys do a great job.
Speaker 4: I was shocked. I mean they're generally up there, there's what four or five guys A lot of times.
Speaker 15: Yeah, we send a crew out there, and you know, this is something that we really do to maintain our roofs and our installs and take care of our customers. Even at that two ninety nine is kind of a lost leader. This is listened at lower ticket things that we that we offer. This is not moneys ridiculously cheap, and that's for today only. So three oh three seven six one six four zero zero. Again that is three zero three seven six one six four zero zero.
Speaker 8: Hey, Fred, what's your question on pantasy? I hope it's not a problem with Ordery.
Speaker 20: Well, no, it's not. Hey Marco, are you good man? Anyways, the situation is I leorded about them on the show years ago.
Speaker 4: Great Clients.
Speaker 20: Wife has my wishes. My wife has issues with arts writer. So I thought i'd try some of the product. So I've been getting a monthly subscription for several years now. But I've also bought some of the other products on some of their offers, and there's sense of pre samples. So now I have a surplus built up and I would like to pause the rivery for a month or two. But they don't. They no longer have anybody answer the phone, like a lot of companies, and they don't respond to the emails I've sent them.
Speaker 19: So I was one of them.
Speaker 20: Maybe you folks maybe had a contact number.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what Mark I do if he gives all of his information to Kelly. Kelly gets that over to me. I will get him in touch with the right folks for that.
Speaker 4: Okay, we have a direct we have a direct connection to the owner of the company. What was her name? I forget her name?
Speaker 2: It escapes me right now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they're they're good people. They had some problem fred on fulfillment towards the beginning of the year and they got that settled.
Speaker 4: But this will be a no brainer. They'll get it canceled for you and just to leave your info with Kelly. Okay, I think yep. Hold on, I don't like the fact they're not responding to this email, so I mean.
Speaker 2: They will address that as well.
Speaker 8: Yeah, tell her they tried to email a couple of times. I mean, I doubt they change your email. I think it was fantasy alife dot com.
Speaker 4: What was her name? It's driving me.
Speaker 2: Well, the owner is Leslie.
Speaker 4: Let's right.
Speaker 2: But I have a new contact now for order issues to their distribution center. So that's why I'm in a contact.
Speaker 8: We had a bunch of calls and they weren't getting their monthly stuff for a while, but they got that fixed. Hey, Henry, Doc asked you something very interesting during the break. So Henry, of course is with Excel roofing his dad, Jay Brett's. Jay's been coming in on the show for what fifteen twenty maybe twenty five years, long time. I mean, like, in fact, you're the same age or you're around you're a little older than Tom's kids, right, so you guys kind of grew up together.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So Doc asked you, like, did your dad kind of push you into the family biz? Do you like the family biz?
Speaker 8: I am curious, But one of the things I really found funny is your dad's nickname for you, oh Man.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 15: So, I mean I really I never got into this at a specific moment. I've just been living roofing my whole life forever. Yeah, it's if it's not roofing, I don't really understand it.
Speaker 4: You up on a roof, actually doing roofs. And I was up on a roof this morning. Yeah.
Speaker 15: Yeah, we're taking care of a leak at Tom's house. So I got the crew started this morning. We're ripping apart the tiles, redoing the batons.
Speaker 4: You were doing this stuff?
Speaker 15: Yeah, absolutely, And you know, I don't get to do a whole lot of the installations of myself or the repairs. But you know, if it's fans, family, friends, anybody like that, I love to get my hands dirty.
Speaker 4: And get it taken care of. Have you ever taken off a roof? I hear that's one of the worst parts, you know what? And this is the thing.
Speaker 15: A lot of roofers that complain about tear offf being so messy. Everyone's got it good now when it was cedar shake and cedar shingles. I've been on some of those tear offfs, and I've done those tear offfs on myself. They are disgusting. You get all this dust up in your nose everywhere. It's just this wood in It attracts dirt too, so it's just like a landslide and mess.
Speaker 8: And we still see that cedar shake anywhere. There's just some people that are still hanging on to it. They like it, they like it, and there's all these synthetic offs.
Speaker 4: I isn't even sure if you could ensure it anymore.
Speaker 15: That's the thing, because it's not fire rated. It's wood.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well it's it's fire exactly.
Speaker 8: I mean, you get one little amber, that whole roof could go up highly flammable absolutely. You guys did a synthetic on ours, and it's basically a hail proof and it looks like slate. Yeah, I love it comes in different colors. It was interesting though, you said Tom Saus this morning had a leak. What's weird about that is he's got a cement roof.
Speaker 15: So the thing about a concrete tile is most of that water is going to go underneath the concrete. There's about I think it's about seventy thirty, so it's about it's backwards. So seventy is going to drain off the concrete tiles, thirty is going to go underneath it, and so that the underlayment, which is the felt paper, if that develops any leaks, it could potentially cause you know, some water damage in the house. So even though Tom's roof is intact, there are some penetrations that allowed that water to get inside.
Speaker 4: So what do you end up doing.
Speaker 8: You pull off those tiles, yeah, and then basically redo whatever's under them exactly.
Speaker 15: So we go up there, we shoot it with water, We just blast the whole roof, get it to leak. We then rip all the tiles off in one area, we take off the batons, We of course you use the exact same tiles going back on the same tiles, but we use different underlayment. Right, I got to underlayment. It's essentially just like this. I mean, think of like a wrapping paper or something like waterproof material, and you put it underneath the roof, right, And so if that is leaking or has any punctures in it with a tile roof, it's gonna leak into the house.
Speaker 4: Got it, all right? Let's take a break. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 11: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three o three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 8: All right, talk about a quick problem solved. Suzanne reached out to Panassee. A guy called up, said, hey, I can't pause my uh subscription?
Speaker 4: What'd you find out?
Speaker 2: So I just sent it over to their distribution gal, who's been really helpful in she paused the subscription right away.
Speaker 4: So you know, I used to love was his name Mark? Who was the doctor?
Speaker 2: Oh, doctor Jamie? Yeah, James Dartner?
Speaker 4: You Oh, you knew Jamie too, of course, Doc. Yeah, I liked him a lot.
Speaker 7: He was he was so smart.
Speaker 17: He knew everything about the properties, the chemical components of the cvth of information and for.
Speaker 4: Folks out there, what they sold.
Speaker 8: I don't know if they have any THC now, but back then they didn't have any THC. So they sold panas and they still do. I think it's Panacealife dot com.
Speaker 4: And I always thought, up until Jamie Doc, that you know, CBD. I just thought it was always kind of weird. Same with THC, honestly.
Speaker 2: Like hokey or something.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I just didn't know. I always thought it was a way for people just to get stoned. I mean really, I thought that. But then after meeting Jamie and all these listeners that use their products, and we're talking people with cancer, we're even talking people They had a product for pets.
Speaker 4: I had so many people call up on air talking about how their their dog or cat was doing so good on CBD. It's crazy.
Speaker 7: Well, it does relax for people for the most part, and then the chemost.
Speaker 17: That's why I always say, you know, you've never you've seen alcohol cause bar fights.
Speaker 7: You've never seen somebody who's smoking dope? Thought a bar fight?
Speaker 4: No, you actually don't. You're right, they're just kind of a mellow yellow.
Speaker 17: And when I was doing medical marijuana medical certificates, when did you do that? Oh?
Speaker 7: After I retired. I just did it for a little while for a friend of mine.
Speaker 4: So you would what would you do?
Speaker 7: Well, I walked to their office, I would treat people. I would interview people to see if they qualify you, and write the prescription exactly.
Speaker 8: Oh, and let me guess, it would go like this, I've got a problem sleeping, and you'd write them a sung.
Speaker 17: No, I did it legitimately, which is why I got fired, because they wanted me to give it to everybody and I wasn't going to lose my life.
Speaker 4: And for you, what was a valid Okay, So what's not valid? Let me ask you?
Speaker 7: That's all right?
Speaker 4: What's not valid about? I sleep better on.
Speaker 17: Marijuana because it wasn't an accepted use of it at the time.
Speaker 7: It wasn't it was not.
Speaker 4: What wasn't accepted used to.
Speaker 8: When you were doing it was chronic pain or glaucoma or And how do you tell create if someone comes in and goes, I get this pain in my shoulder all the time. Well, I had a kid come in on his eighteenth birthday who was complaining about chronic back pain, and it happened to be his eighteenth But I said, you know what, if you have chronic back pain at eighteen, you might as well just shoot yourself because you can have a miserable life and marijuana isn't going to do it. For it's no wonder he lost his job there. So how many people would you say you saw, oh, couple hundreds, and then how many scripts did you write? Not that many, like half?
Speaker 17: No, maybe twenty percent, twenty percent because people are coming at another kid come in, should showal the pain because the persons who have it, Look.
Speaker 4: It wasn't me, But I'm not going to say. I'm not going to say who it was.
Speaker 8: I mean, generally they're on YouTube, but there used to be an RV that would pull up in front of a pot store in front of one of my Goodyear stores in Peoria. In fact, I think the pot store is probably still there, but this RV would pull up in all around the neighborhood Aaron Mont below. They'd have signs up the doctor's going to be here Saturday or whatever. And I would see for my shop a line, a line, absolutely, and I asked somebody I knew that was in that line. I saw him and I literally called him while he was in line, and I said, my god, like, does everybody get one?
Speaker 4: And he said, yeah, you walk in there and just say I got a headache, and no, right, yes, you know.
Speaker 7: I did it legitimately.
Speaker 17: I had I had a piece of paper history and physical on file for every person that I saw, and I was not going to lose my license over that.
Speaker 7: Over that well, because at the time they were really cracking down.
Speaker 8: So I always kind of looked at it like that, I'll circle back around, kind of phony baloney like you're talking about. But what I did learn and honestly, chemo a little CBD I learned because of Jamie and other people. It's incredible. It's life changing.
Speaker 7: Well THC is definitely life changing.
Speaker 8: For the side of stoke question, which is remarkable because it's still not I don't believe it is.
Speaker 4: It's still not federally legalized. Hey, let me ask you something. Just because of your age.
Speaker 8: You're in your twenties, I mean growing up, you grew up when pot was everywhere right back in the day. Like if I if I had to get pot when I was fifteen or sixteen, we'd have to drive from Vorhees, New Jersey, either to South Street in Philadelphia or to Camden, New Jersey, and we'd buy a dimebag.
Speaker 2: You know, we at risk to get a little Oh.
Speaker 8: My god, we went to Camden. It was put in your life, your life at risk. It was crazy, really truly.
Speaker 15: Nowadays, I know more people that smoke weed than drink period. I mean people they say, oh, I don't I don't get aggressive, I don't get violent, I'm not hung over in there.
Speaker 4: They high all the time? Though, do you think people abuse.
Speaker 15: Because a lot of times when people are smoking weed, they're they're not super high, you know, they just take a little bit, or they smoke chronically, and so you just you can't.
Speaker 4: Hell.
Speaker 8: Oh, but let's say out of ten ten people your age twenty somethings up to thirty that. You know, how many would you consider chronic smokers they smoke every day?
Speaker 15: Probably three, you know, but probably three seven out of ten three are chronic. Yeah, and then it's probably seven out of ten smoke occasionally.
Speaker 4: Weekend smokers. Yeah wow.
Speaker 2: You know those ones that only smoke weed and don't drink. That's called California sober right there.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I always found that weird. In California, you can be sober and still smoke your pot.
Speaker 15: But the thing of it is is, from my experience meeting someone that smokes a lot, they're a little like lower functioning than someone that drinks, just because the day to day they seem like they're in a little bit of a brain fog, you know, they're not quite as sharp as someone who drinks on the weekend.
Speaker 4: Well, what's weird to.
Speaker 8: Me is we know someone that smokes so much, I couldn't tell you. Well, it's like you were saying, on the chronic, I couldn't tell you if they were high or not. I couldn't tell you if they smoked or not. Generally they smoke all the time, though, But I mean, it's really range when you can't tell you must build up an immunity to the dope. That is crazy, absolutely, And you know the crazy thing about it now is that all of this marijuana, the THHC levels is so high when when it's like synthesized and before it was all grown right, and so it's not as strong science. The weed I smoked as a kid was probably I don't even know, man, I mean, you had to smoke a whole joint.
Speaker 7: Probably percent of what the potency is nowadays exactly.
Speaker 4: And they called it Mexican dirt weed. That was the majority. Good stuff back then would be like spunk weed.
Speaker 15: They have these edibles now they call them face melters or something like that. They're like two and fifty milligrams.
Speaker 8: And for the listeners, face a six melter, a six and miligram edible will get you high.
Speaker 4: And so why would they have one that's two hundred and.
Speaker 15: Fifty It like incapacitates you.
Speaker 4: It's interesting, what do you want that I don't smoke? I don't take it.
Speaker 8: Well, that's a great question, Dot, because it looks like all they was zone out exactly.
Speaker 4: I guess. I guess I'll say this.
Speaker 8: It probably makes them forget about all their problems, right, But if.
Speaker 17: You zone out on heroin, there are people who will zone out on malawuana.
Speaker 8: Where do you get a face melter? You can't buy something that potent, can you?
Speaker 15: So I'm not going to weed stores, you know, I'm not going to dispensaries scouting this stuff out. But it seems pretty reddibly available.
Speaker 4: So got that kind of brand. They got to sell it somewhere.
Speaker 8: That's crazy. This all came back to the CBD call. And you know, Panacea did a great job. I don't know if they sell it, but I'd still stand up for their product. They haven't been an advertiser, for my goodness, probably three four years. COVID really messed with those guys. That was a tough one getting through COVID like any other business, all right, three zero, three seven, one three eight two, five to five.
Speaker 11: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com.
Speaker 6: To list your home with Remax Alliance. Three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: All right, three oh three.
Speaker 8: Seven one three HQ five five, we got lines open. We'd love to hear from you. We got another hour coming up. During the break, we were on our YouTube channel. You go to YouTube dot com, you type in Troubleshooting.
Speaker 4: Network, you'll see it. What was interesting, though, is someone chimed in.
Speaker 8: Leah said, I'm a nurse and patient who chronically uses CBD or marijuana, sometimes the most difficult patients to worm with, And of course she meant work with so as a typo, but Susanna and I both looked at it, going, well, she's a nurse, maybe that means like a bedside manner to worm with, to get together with. And it made me start thinking about when I hear different words that I have no idea, I have no idea what they mean, and I mean real words. It's crazy. The other thing is when someone texts you something like lol. But of course everybody knows laugh out loud now, But there's certain ones. I have no idea what the hell they are. So I got to like ask my kids what they are, which is crazy. So I started thinking words that aren't used anymore, words the kids, doc kids. In fact, I'll say this, mister twenty something over here, I'll say this, If you get any of these right, I will be so impressed. It's crazy. I'll let you give the excel roofing information out five times. Now that's how crazy.
Speaker 4: You can't look up anything, No, you can't look it up. And Doc, I will assume you know some of these, but maybe not. Let's see, maybe not Snolly Goster s n O l L Y g O s t e R. Don't google it. No, Snolly Goster idea dragon? Have you ever heard that word? Ever? I'm gonna go blow in your nose a Snolly Goster. Yeah, we're sneezing. No, it's actually lying and deceptive. I can think did you look it up? I did it.
Speaker 8: It's not like it's close a Snolly Goster. I think I'm saying that, right, Snolly Goster. A shrewd, unprincipled person, especially a politician.
Speaker 4: So you would say, oh, that Ted.
Speaker 8: Cruz or whomever is a snolly goster, and I don't actually think that about Ted. Joe Biden is a snolly not smart enough. I have never heard of that in my life. Okay, guys, you're ready for the next one.
Speaker 4: Really quick. Brabble b r A B B L E brabble. Have you ever heard that word? Never? These are all real words.
Speaker 7: I know, I've never heard it.
Speaker 8: Brabble It means to argue stubbornly about trifles. Fourteen hundred English unbelievable.
Speaker 4: All right, cash, we got another hour going on.
Speaker 8: Three zero three seven one three eight two five five three oho three Martino. By the way, it looks like they caught the Tesla obamber in Las Vegas.
Speaker 4: More coming up.
Speaker 11: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're contenth time for an insurance checkup, free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the Real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two, ripped.
Speaker 3: Off bad news. You need advice so you don't have comuns.
Speaker 4: As fast as we can, Shoot's gonna help.
Speaker 5: Come man, This is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martine, Welcome my friends to the.
Speaker 8: Only Shovice Time and did only Shovi's kind. We're to solve problems, answer questions, take complaints.
Speaker 4: We love helping people out. You've been ripped off, we have any kind of problem. We got a list of.
Speaker 8: People at referral list dot com that love jumping in. In fact, today we have an expert in. He's a roofer, my goodness, Henry Bratts. His dad is Jay Bretz. Has been with us I'd say over twenty years, honest to god. So any questions on roofing, we'd love to hear from you. They got some great specials we'll talk about as far as gutter cleaning and anything you want to talk about. Three zero three Martino three oh three seven one three eight two five five. You know when we were talking about words that just aren't used anymore, how about this one doc? You ready, I've never heard of any of these we talked about snolly Goster. How about fogel fudgel f u d g e l fudgel fudgel. It's an actual word.
Speaker 1: I love this.
Speaker 4: I love this word. I might actually start using this word. You ready. I know a lot of employees to do this, Not that I have now, because I don't have any employees now, but I.
Speaker 21: Know actually, actually, Kelly, fudgels a lot, YO mean to pretend you're working, to pretend.
Speaker 8: You're busy but in reality not doing anything. Oh okay, I'm kidding, Kelly. Have you ever heard that word?
Speaker 9: Though?
Speaker 4: Fudgel? No, I have never heard that. How about grok grok gronk.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 4: You're a doctor. You said you got like a fifteen hundred or more on your s a TS and you've never heard of these real words?
Speaker 2: And we have to assume Mark's pronouncing them right.
Speaker 7: Well, he has perfect.
Speaker 4: Do you know what means?
Speaker 16: I do?
Speaker 8: I'm staring at the definition right to silently watch someone while they are eating.
Speaker 4: That is crazy, Groake. I just don't.
Speaker 8: I don't understand why these words went away. Actually some of them are pretty good. Okay, Oh this, I don't know how to pronounce this one. This one, I don't j R g O.
Speaker 9: G l E.
Speaker 4: Gar Goyle.
Speaker 7: But it's not it's notle jar goggle, jar goggle.
Speaker 4: It must be jar goggle to confuse.
Speaker 7: Why not just say confuse?
Speaker 4: I have no idea. I have no idea.
Speaker 8: It's crazy, Doc, when you were becoming a doctor, since you had such well, I'd say you must have a high IQ. Right if you had a fifteen hundred on SATs, well, fifteen eighty, fifteen eighty and the highest is sixteen.
Speaker 4: Sixteen, that's crazy.
Speaker 7: I know, I was pissed off. I got one wrong.
Speaker 4: That's insane.
Speaker 8: Did you ever take the SATs I've never taken them, Susanne, you never took it right? I do think so you decided what I love about Henry. You decided to walk in your father's footsteps with you. Got to be, if not the most successful, one of the highly most successful roofers in Colorado. I mean, I think you guys do more roofs than anybody.
Speaker 4: I know of. Yeah, we're we're really proud of that. It's definitely been a like.
Speaker 8: What's the crazy year in roofing? How many roofs are you talking about?
Speaker 15: I think last year we did we did fifteen hundred projects.
Speaker 4: Is that a normal A lot of No, I know, that's a lot. I'm saying many are actual roofs and not repairs.
Speaker 8: What I'm saying is that a normal hail season or hail year for Colorado. Last year it wasn't crazy and it wasn't dead.
Speaker 4: That's big.
Speaker 15: Yeah, that that put us in So last year we were the number one buyer of Owen's Cornering roofing materials, and that's your main supplier in the region. We don't wait in the region, so even outside of Colorado, so that's like Wyoming to New Mexico.
Speaker 4: Hal hail everywhere. Yeah.
Speaker 15: So for like this year, we got an award from os for growth. It was a year over your revenue by percentage, and so we do a high volume. But you know, it's it's all just taking care of each person. You know, every single customer matters. It's not it's not about scale, it's not about you know, increasing revenue or anything like that.
Speaker 4: It's about taking care of people.
Speaker 8: You know, well, your dad's been doing that forever. I mean one of the main things is you don't pay a cent with you guys till they're content. I mean a lot of roofers want some money down. They make it sound like they want that person to get that contract signed, and they want to have some skin in the game in case they try to bail out of that contract. And you guys, even if someone signs a contract, you know, as long as you didn't start the roof I mean, you guys.
Speaker 4: Will let them out of the contract. Yeah, we we let people out of a it's not worth it.
Speaker 8: If they don't want to use you, why would you want them to be forced to use you. It's going to be a horrible experience for both sides.
Speaker 15: Well, the one thing that consumers don't usually see is a lot of these roofing contractors. They they say they have a good track history, they have all this credibility, but then they have these contracts. We have like a fifteen to twenty twenty five percent cancelation fee. So when you realize that or they have a no cancelation I fay.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 15: One of the big things that's happening in our market right now is because everyone's preaching this local roofer right that's been going on forever, But now what's happening is private equity is buying up these local roofing companies, you know, and they're shooting these out of state roofers in enter these companies.
Speaker 8: I'm going to share something with everybody listening. You brought up private equity, and it's amazing. People have no idea garage doors. We go back ten years, We probably had ten different companies on our referral list, all guys like you, All guys that own the company, have great crews and take care of the customer. Private equity came along and scooped up. In fact, I'm not going to say names of different ones because I'm not saying they're good or bad, but they are no longer owned by the name on the van. They have nothing to do with it anymore. I mean, it's really crazy, but that was one that was absolutely insane. The other one is home services, home services, private equity, furnace companies. Yet there might be thirty out there all owned. Think about this, all owned by the same company. Now, isn't that a little crazy? You go to fix think about this, You go to get your garage dooor fixed, or a new garage store. You guys deal with halstorms. People get new griage stores all the time in Colorado.
Speaker 4: So what do you do.
Speaker 8: You call around all five different places to get quotes, and funny enough, four out of the five or nine out of the ten have pretty much the exact same price, and they all seem pretty high to you.
Speaker 4: And they're all owned by the same person, and they're all owned by the exact same company.
Speaker 8: You think you're pitting different companies trying to get your business, but they're all owned by the same company. Yeah, private equity has completely changed everything in home services, garage doors, roofing is a huge one.
Speaker 4: How many roofers would you say, got gobbled up by one of these guys in the past five years. So I don't want to name draw. I don't want you to hit names either.
Speaker 15: There's a lot, and I mean, really, the history of roofing in Colorado is so Jay Bretts, he went to a to Texas and learned from some of the storm chasers and understood what not to do. Yeah, okay, so we came back to market and there was one or two other companies that had to establish themselves. But since then they've all they've sold to other people or they sold to private equity, And so I mean, really, there's not a whole lot. And especially with private equity, they offer these high they do a multiplier, right, so they do. It's a multiplier of gross profits. They're not profits massive either one.
Speaker 4: And you know they they here's here, here's the good side of it, though, here is the good side of private equity.
Speaker 8: You got Fred's Garage Store. I'm making a name up, So Fred's Garage Store. This guy owned that company for twenty thirty years, built it, He's got great cash flow, he's got great profit, and his kids want nothing to do with it.
Speaker 4: And now he's trying to sell it. He doesn't quite realize.
Speaker 8: How to sell it, what to sell it for, and what he's selling because a lot of times an independent operator like a garadge stoor opener, what are you selling? Maybe a couple trucks. You might have some assets, some hard assets, but really what you're selling is the knowledge of whatever you learned and the customer database, the people they call you. So all of a sudden, what private equity did do is it brought people like Fred's Garage doors an easy out. And the multipliers can be staggering. I mean, really, I've seen ten x in some of these things with plumbing. Think about that, your company makes one hundred and fifty two hundred thousand a year and you've been doing it for forty years, and they're like, yeah, well RTE you check for a million bucks. Oh and by the way, if you still want to stay on as an employee for a little bit, we'll let you do that as well.
Speaker 15: So we see that with roofing a lot those kind of multipliers too mass. But the issue with private equity is their their sharks, and a lot of times migrafing the sharks. They put these contracts together that says, okay, the owner or the founder needs to say on a CEO for ten years. But what I've heard from a couple of contractors is these pe firms they will fire or terminate the owner one day before the contract expires and cancel the entire thing.
Speaker 8: Maybe, but if someone walks into a deal like that, I mean, they got to hire an attorney, right. I'm not going to say it's their fault, That's not where I'm going, But I will say they got to be careful.
Speaker 4: I mean, you have to have an attorney look at a deal. But it's really changed everything.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 8: The other thing I'll say about private equity is there's good ones out there. I don't necessarily think I have a problem with someone coming in and buying a bunch of HVAC companies or garage door companies or any companies. I don't have a problem if someone comes in and buys a bunch of restaurants. What I do care about is if they lie or if they try to cheat people.
Speaker 4: But most of them don't.
Speaker 8: Most of them actually run a pretty honest business. But they want a substantial return on their money. They can invest in anything. They're like sharks. We see at Shark Tank. They can invest their money. And I think it's Kevin O'Leary that says it. You know, when I send my money out, I want to coming back to me in multipliers or why do I invest? There's other things out there. But because he's a shark and Cuban and all the people on there, I don't think they're bad.
Speaker 4: But they do not operate.
Speaker 8: They do that and not how to buy stuff. But now saying all that, I love the fact that you guys keep it family.
Speaker 15: We want to say family as long as possible.
Speaker 4: And you've had the cruise forever.
Speaker 15: Yeah, they've been with us into like a lot of these pe firms. The reason that they're successful is because they bring in their standardized marketing, they know how to do it, their standard operating procedure, the five other stays. And so I mean really like where you see a company go from just a small mom and pop to like a national is where the internal people they realize the importance of those SOPs, the KPIs and just streamlining their efficiency.
Speaker 8: They the efficiency is incredible if you think about it, every industry does it. Instead of having ten bookkeepers for ten different companies, you buy ten companies, you got one book keeper. I mean there's an example. You're not dealing with multipliers out there, redundancy, you don't even need it. I mean basically, you've already done it. You've already bought companies in Texas roofing companies, and you made that work. Now it's time to go do it somewhere else. And then some of these operators they buy from are very savvy too. Some of them start going, oh, I want to start getting involved in this, and they do travel with the private equity and learn how to do that.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, it's like anything else, there's good things there's bad.
Speaker 8: Things, but I do love the fact when you're dealing with Excel Roofing, you're dealing with Henry, and you're dealing with Jay, and you're dealing with Dominic, and you're dealing with people who I have known personally now for fifteen plus years and Tom twenty five plus years. So I mean there's something to be said for that big time. But if you ever want to cash out, you must think, oh, it's kind of cool.
Speaker 4: There is private equity, right, Seriously, I think there's a lot of people's goals out there.
Speaker 8: I knew a guy that would build up. It's on a much smaller scale, and it's twenty years ago. He would come in and he had a little bug what do you call me? He was an exterminator and his thing he would go to hotels, little ones, fancy private private hotel brands like Oyo, something individually owned but has a has a name on it, like Hotels, Motel six, whatever, and he would create these routes where he would go out, you know, once a month or whatever it is, to spray for bugs, to do whatever.
Speaker 4: And he would create this route.
Speaker 8: It might be worth to him one hundred thousand dollars a year, and that was good money for him, especially fifteen twenty years ago. Then what he would do is turn around and he'd reach out to termin X and he would sell that route for Back then, the multiplier was maybe two or three, so he'd put two or three hundred thousand in his pocket.
Speaker 4: And then you know what he would do.
Speaker 8: He would turn around a couple of years later after the non compete or go to a different market and do the exact same thing, create another route, call up termin X and sell it again.
Speaker 4: That's all he did.
Speaker 8: Literally, That's how he made a nice small fortune over his lifetime. And he was pretty cool anyhow. Everybody holds tight three oh three seven one three talk.
Speaker 11: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three, seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer When you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: All right for three O three seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 8: They arrested that, uh, that guy that threw apparently the alleged suspect in the Tesla dealership bombing. It's kind of crazy reading about the guy. I'm trying to find his name, ory. I saw a picture them. I hate to say this, he kind of looks like he could be a bomber. You know, some people just have that mischievous I want to kill you kind of look. I mean I kind of get that from this guy. And I can't find his I found everything on a particular website that had a picture them, but that website keeps locking up this computer.
Speaker 4: What did you guys think of that? I mean, what do you think, dear dragon? I mean, I don't know. You can't go after him. I don't think is a domestic terrorist.
Speaker 2: Paul Kim is his name.
Speaker 4: Paul Kim? And he's like thirty five? Right? Do you get Do you get nervous driving a Tesla now at all?
Speaker 9: Me?
Speaker 4: Yeah? No, I don't either. I don't know why people would start thinking that, you know, it's going to get Maybe it could get keyed.
Speaker 8: I guess that's possible. Henry, would you drive a Tesla or were you rather just not be controversial at all? If you even call it, Dad, I don't even know why it is. I find it crazy, Although if I lived in certain cities, I'd probably be a little apprehensive of parking a Tesla at the mall.
Speaker 7: I think it's all bso, well, you have the vale at make sure that the valet's watched it.
Speaker 8: Maybe, but still, I mean when people are throwing Molotov cocktails at dealerships, it's crazy.
Speaker 15: Well, when you went to the Bernie aoc rally, how safe did you feel there?
Speaker 8: I would not drive it to a Bernie aoc rally at all. What's Brown's thoughts on any of that? Has he touched base on it?
Speaker 15: I know he's Why is anybody even remotely wanting to do anything with these teslas?
Speaker 8: Because because they're saving people around them, they're saving taxpayers money. Actually, you're funny. Driving down I twenty five, I see more teslas and I think any other car.
Speaker 15: Yeah, there's more teslas than like anything.
Speaker 4: They used to love them, The Liberals used to love them. I mean, they loved Elon Musk.
Speaker 15: I see these stickers now on Tesla's that are anti Elon stickers, and they're just clarifying that they don't support them.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so they won't get keyed. It might be smart for anybody to put that on there regardless like that.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I bought this before he went crazy.
Speaker 9: What what?
Speaker 16: What?
Speaker 4: So in your age range twenty something, are people in general more trumpy or in general more uh lefty?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 4: What would you say? Just in your your age range in people?
Speaker 11: You know?
Speaker 15: So, from my unbiased roofer opinion, I believe that I think that Trump has really cultivated a strong following. It's really amazing a lot of young people. It's just it's extremely uh one sided, like you're either right earlier left. There's not a whole lot of middle ground, not anymore. Like I don't know, I feel like three or four years ago you didn't want to be outspoken about supporting Trump. But now three or four a lot of people, well think about it.
Speaker 8: A year ago, two years ago, you'd never want to talk about being a supporter of Biden. I mean after that debate especially, I mean I know hardcore liberals at their jaw dropped, they were like the guy doesn't have anything upstairs. He's he's full blown gone. I mean, you know, four o'clock would come and the guy couldn't talk.
Speaker 19: Man.
Speaker 4: I mean that debate showed a lot.
Speaker 15: I think that a huge issue is that for a lot of younger people, they're getting too much of their news from like TikTok and Instagram, and that's a huge issue.
Speaker 4: I mean, he pulled Trump pulled a lot of younger people this time though.
Speaker 15: Sure, but it's all through like entertainment content. It's really hard to know any policies and any factual information when you're just getting TikTok videos about it or Instagram content.
Speaker 8: So you'd say almost anybody in their twenties that's the main thing. Yeah, we might say anybody in their seventies. The main thing is usually MSNBC or or maybe.
Speaker 4: Real reporting though.
Speaker 15: I mean it's debatable, but you know it's not it's not just like creating some nonsense and putting it on the internet.
Speaker 7: Yeah, literally, it is creating nonsense at MSNBC.
Speaker 4: I agree with doc on MSNBC. They're horrible. In fact, they're ratings show it. They have no ratings. You know what's curious about TikTok and YouTube and all that stuff. They just absolutely destroyed, destroyed all these TV networks and radio stations and everything destroyed. I mean it's not even close a lot.
Speaker 15: Of the stuff that's going, Like have you seen that deep fake contents? No, Yeah, it's really.
Speaker 4: I've heard about it. I mean it looks real as you can get.
Speaker 15: They use AI to create the voice and create the imaging, and so I mean that's super deceptive. You can basically create a video of Trump or Biden or whoever it is saying whatever you want, whatever you want them to say, exactly.
Speaker 4: So, I mean there'll be legislation on that. I think there already is.
Speaker 8: For I want to say, I want to say they did pass something on porn, deep fake porn in other words, someone you know, taking a picture of someone at school, like in high school and then creating a deep fake site like that. I mean, can you imagine how devisating that way?
Speaker 17: Or else they get a porn gif and put somebody's face on it, Yeah, which is what the same thing basically.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Well, some of these deep fakes, like he's talking about, you can't I don't even know how they tell the difference.
Speaker 9: And just for the viewers.
Speaker 4: A deep fake.
Speaker 15: It's where you create an artificial intelligence video, so it's not any animation. You're just programming basically into some sort of AI to generate an image that looks real and sounds real.
Speaker 4: Oh it looks so real, it's crazy, and people do it constantly. It is kind of a different world that you have grown up in, Henry. It's kind of funny having you in compared to your dad, because I feel like my son's in here. I mean, these are the kind of conversations I have with Miles all the time, and I just can't believe the difference how you guys grew up. Although I'll say this, with you and Miles, you're very similar. You guys kind of have the same pathway. You didn't go that college route. You know, you're educated, there's no doubt about that. But what I'm saying is you decided to jump right in.
Speaker 7: And my side, who's in his thirties, is the exact opposite.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a big liberal though, isn't it.
Speaker 7: Oh he hates Trump. I can't even mention his name. With dinner time.
Speaker 4: We have so many people, so many people older, like in my parents' ages, so in their eighties said think if you didn't get a college education. Think about this. If you didn't get a college education, you're just lower. I mean, I guess that's how i'd put it. I mean, I don't want to say you're dumb, but I mean there there was a stigma of not having it.
Speaker 15: It's the opposite now it is.
Speaker 4: I know, it's so changed, it's crazy.
Speaker 15: I mean the trades are really what a lot of people are pursuing, you know, stuff like roofing or concrete or electrical. I mean, that's what's going to create the most millionaires going forward.
Speaker 8: Look, look, I'm going to tell people something that's probably mind blowing to them. You know, a store manager a Walmart. I mean, your salary could be you know, let's say one hundred and fifty okay, I mean everything depends on stores and how long you in there. But people say Walmart doesn't pay their employees, right, blah blah blah. Your bonus can be triple your your bonus in that scenario would be four hundred and fifty thousand. If you know your numbers, that's six hundred thousand a year.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 4: I don't know anything coming out, including being in a doctor and a certain attorneys, I mean a personal injury attorney can clean up left and right. You know, one case can make their entire career.
Speaker 8: But if you really think about jobs coming out of college, oh my god, I'm not even thrown in the student debt thing, but think about how long it would take to make that coming out with a teaching DEGREEA.
Speaker 7: Think about even a doctor.
Speaker 17: I mean after college, four years of medical school, four years of residency, and one year of a fellowship.
Speaker 4: It's nine years and you're not making anything.
Speaker 7: Well, well, you're making you know, thirty or forty thousand dollars a year. That's it. Wow, which comes out about two dollars an hour if that.
Speaker 15: Yeah, So that that kind of blows my mind. I mean it's to a world where it's all paid by a performance, you know, so like however you can, however much you can do in like sales or uh you know, building, building, your division, market, whatever it is, it's all paid off of a.
Speaker 4: Good A good salesperson is worth a zillion dollars. Yeah, absolutely, I mean really, it's really incredible. Probably one of the hardest things in the world to teach would be to be a good salesperson. It almost seems like you either are or you're not.
Speaker 8: It's hard to take someone that has never sold anything and doesn't have that certain that's certain.
Speaker 7: Something I could never do it. I can never be a sales I can.
Speaker 4: I got to break Dragon's yelling at me three oh three seven one three talk.
Speaker 11: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oll three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: Boy, that was a thought provoking conversation on YouTube. People are like, I didn't know Walmart made that kind of money, and blah blah blah.
Speaker 8: It is interesting though. I agree with you, Henry one hundred percent that things have changed. People used to think they have to go this pathway of college. Now they get out there and start hustling, and sales is the biggest one.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go back to that. If you're a good salesperson and you're honest, that is a big part of it. You can sell anything, I don't care what it is. You can sell medical equipment, you can sell roofs, you can sell cars, you can sell anything. But then Deputy Doc was saying something interesting, which is you could never be a salesperson.
Speaker 7: I just don't have it in me.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a whole different it's not even necessarily a different personality. There's so many ways to sell. You might be a off salesperson. You might ask for that sale. When I first started selling tires, way back when when we first came to Colorado, I would ask people why they didn't purchase from me. I was pretty aggressive on it if they weren't going to buy it, and say, why are you? Why aren't we just closing it right now? I'd love to get your sale. And I'd follow them out the door, still asking questions, and a lot of them I'd turn around and get back in. So I was a pretty aggressive salesperson. But then when I started selling computers and especially point of sale systems, and servers for my computer company. I would have a much different thing. It would be the softest sell you'd ever imagine. I remember meeting with Who'd I sell all those point of sales to the barber shop I used to deal with floyd I remember meeting with the owner of Floyd's twenty years ago and they had probably, I don't know, ten twelve at the time, and we were doing the point of sale for every one of them, and the cell to them was a lot different.
Speaker 4: I brought it in. I said, Hey, here's what I want to do. Let's just set it up in this one location over here. Tell me what you think of it. If you want to move forward, let's do it.
Speaker 7: And that was it.
Speaker 8: I mean there was nothing else to it. So that's it, man. I mean sales as sales. But once you can sell something, you can how about. I never understood this, and I'm so happy people do it. My mother was a teacher forever. I mean, that's really what she did up until she quit working. And I love some of the teachers. I try to look back on teachers that I think of. Do you have any you guys think of Suzanne that changed your life in a good way, Yeah, I sure do.
Speaker 2: Like what missus Ritchie. She was my high school typewriter teacher, and I learned a type from her, and she was just a good friend, you know, with all my family problems.
Speaker 4: I got it. She actually got involved in your life and made some good changes.
Speaker 20: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Did you ever have anybody like that, Henry?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I had one teacher. Her name was a Sarah mccannon and she she really uh she I mean you talk about it a lot in the workplace, but like cultivating a great culture, yeah, and she had a really good culture around her students, and that's hard to do these Yeah, it's really just a like touching your students. I think that's difficult to do while also balancing, you know, pushing them to professionalism.
Speaker 8: You know, it's really hard if you think about it. You go to school for at least what four years, and then generally I think you become at first like a kindergarten teacher. But by the time you work up to either in middle school or high school. And I'm I only know one person that we know in the good family friend that basically I'm talking about her journey more than anything. So now she has her own room and her own kids, but she had a four year degree. And when you better love it because it's not something you get paid a lot on. That's where I'm going. And thank god we have teachers. But the reality is you better love working with kids because you ain't getting rich off of it by any means. In fact, just the opposite, although you do get typically speaking.
Speaker 4: You have a lot of time off.
Speaker 7: That's true.
Speaker 4: So if you actually add that in, I mean, maybe the pace pretty good.
Speaker 8: But I'm already up against the Dan clock again. All right, three oh three seven one three talk, don't forget three oh three. Martino works on and off the air. And I want to tell you what Jay Bretts and Henry Brett's are doing again.
Speaker 4: Ninety nine bucks. Listen to this.
Speaker 8: They come out to our house every year, twice a year and clean our gutters. We have pine needles everywhere, one hundred foot trees and pine needles piled up so high I can't believe it. They come out and do our gutters twice a year. They get up there and knock out every gutter, put these hoses down the down spouts, they clean them out.
Speaker 4: It's beautiful.
Speaker 8: You're gonna love it. And they send a whole crew out. Generally it takes them at least a couple hours. I mean, I don't know if our roof's big or not. I mean, is in the grand scheme of things, but they're generally up there at least two maybe three hours. For ninety nine bucks, you're not going to get a better deal. It's usually how much Henry two hundred and ninety nine.
Speaker 15: It starts at two ninety nine, And like I was saying before, at two ninety nine and three ninety nine, we're really not making a whole lot of money, right, you're not making any ninety nine dollars. This is a it's a killer offer.
Speaker 8: You're sending two to four people out to a house for two or three hours. You're losing your ass. Let's not pretend what it is. You're gonna get out there and do the best job ever, and they're gonna say, damn, I love to excel. We've been listening to them on the show for you know, twenty years. Then when that hailstorm comes, they're gonna call you. I mean, that's why you guys do it. I mean it's a great deal. Yeah, it does a couple things for us. It keeps our guys busy, you know, big time.
Speaker 15: And then also like we're able to uh connect with the community and get ourselves out there. So yeah, absolutely, ninety nine dollars today only three oh three seven six one six four zero zero. That's three zero three seven six one six four zero.
Speaker 4: Zero is a great deal.
Speaker 11: Call now go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 3: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 11: Time for an insurance check up, free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 8: All right, three three seventy one three eight two five five don't forget three oh three Martino works on and off the air. We would love to take any emails from yet help at troubleshooter dot com. Like I said, we have great people on a referral list at referral list dot com like uh like the brats, you know Jay and Henry who's been in studio with us today. And I do want to tell you one more time.
Speaker 4: About Excel Special.
Speaker 8: It really is good. There's no phony baloney, there's no hard sale here. It's not hail season. They're trying to keep their folks busy and they want to show you what a great job they'll do for you when it comes to your roof.
Speaker 4: But bottom line is, ninety nine bucks are going to clean.
Speaker 8: The gutters typically speaking In fact, every other time I've actually advertised this for you over the last fifteen years, Henry, and for your dad at Excel Roofing, it's basically been two hundred and ninety nine dollars if you have a one story house, and then.
Speaker 4: Three ninety nine if it's a two story house. And that's what I've been paying you guys forever. I assure you you guys will be getting a call from us right afterwards to get our first in. But ninety nine dollars regardless of the size. And these guys were great and gave away some free gutter cleaning today which went in ten seconds for folks over eighty Go ahead, Henry.
Speaker 15: Yeah, absolutely. And then for all the listeners, I just want to make it very known that we are doing a free roof for a veteran in need. So if you find anybody or know somebody that is in a tough spot that is a veteran, we would love to hear their story if you give us a call or send us an email. Our phone number again is three zero three seven six one six four zero zero.
Speaker 8: You call that for that ninety nine dollars gutter cleaning. And they do a great job, folks, I promise you three oh three seven six one sixty four hundred. They've been out to our house at least at least ten times with the gutter cleaning.
Speaker 4: They did a halproof roof which allowed me to up our deductible big time. So basically they saved us a ton of money. I saw other people by the way getting roofs in our neighborhood. Last year. We had zero damage whatsoever on our roof. That roof is crazy. It's called f wave, it's.
Speaker 8: Synthetic, it looks beautiful. You got to check out excelroofing dot com. But that's special is today only they got a call today. You can't get it done today? Do they have to call today?
Speaker 4: Or for the people listening on podcasts, can we say a couple days.
Speaker 15: You know, if it comes through a podcast, I'll make a special exemption. But for everybody else today only
Speaker 4: All right, listen, guys, see you tomorrow.