Speaker 1: Well whiskey, come and take my pain the moneys all ryn't.
Speaker 2: Why think alone when you can drink it all in with Ricochet's Three Whiskey Happy Hour. Join your bartenders Steve Hayward, John U and the International Woman of Mystery, Lucretia. Well this lapped it up live. It ain't you easy on the should taps? Got to give me and let that whiskey. The Three Whiskey Happy Hour is back from a road trip over to Italy, now fully syncopated, polyphinous and angular, which I only say because I don't know what they mean and know it will annoy you guys. Are you guys over your jet lag yet? Are you back up in in the saddle? Eh?
Speaker 3: Right, yes, right, went dived at eight thirty last night. Does that count?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I've been doing that no long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is not.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, we are getting older. But and by the way, Lucretia, you'll appreciate I think appreciate this. James Lilax on the you know I often I usually post posted the podcast We're doing him back to back this morning and John was on in place of Charles C. W. Cook and James Lylac said, I can see it now. You guys in Italy are like that old cartoon of the two people working their way on the same spand with spaghetti. And he said, ah, I have our cover artwork for this week's episode, so we'll see what happens. But it could be bad. It could be really bad. I've got some jarnt you're you're looking into.
Speaker 1: Space yet again, another reason not to substitute for some Brett X pat Although you guys, I did a bad job trying to fill his share and join you in your love of the British monarchy and worship of King Charles and his discredible family and his leadership with this declining middle power which from which we properly declared ourselves independent two hundred and fifty years ago.
Speaker 2: Well we'll come back to that later.
Speaker 3: And I've decided, by the way, I just have to say this that I'm disgusted with the only English thing that I still have any contact with, which is the Spectator, and every day other than the occasional American guest writer, makes me angrier and angrier that I ever gave them a single penny of my money. Because this morning there was this awful, awful article about some of you who lived in Cuba for God's sakes, and talking about how great Cuba is. That the hell is wrong with those people anyway, Sorry, that was not on the agenda, and I'm sorry I said it, but yeah, made me crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I have noticed the Spectator has gotten very weird that way also, Chris, well, okay, but it's become I thought you were going to complain about some of their anti Trump articles that they have.
Speaker 3: Well this one was, believe it or not, they managed all of the problem in Cuba are caused by bad yellow man, orange man, orange man. Yes, sorry, go ahead, right, I'm done.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, but I do have some good news for you, John. While we were overseas, McDonald's announced that they're expanding their bargain meal pricing on their menu, so you know you'll be able to eat even more for less.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And their stock is up sharply this morning because it's been slumping the last six eight weeks, which I figure is your fault for under consuming.
Speaker 1: Well I will and while we are in Italy, unlike you guys who are such you know, hawk cuisine eaters, I actually went to McDonald's.
Speaker 3: I went to McCafe.
Speaker 1: Oh, that doesn't that's that's just a European invasion in McDonald's. I mean, that's that's that's their bending the knee to anyway, So I I they don't have budget meals over at McDonald's in Europe. I bought a It was so painful. It was a world class meal, which was a chicken fried chicken sandwich, which I think was a good start, which they claim was Japanese. So they poured kariaki sauce all over it, and fries and a soft guess how much it costs fifteen euros.
Speaker 2: That's I know.
Speaker 1: That's like, I mean, I should have just gone to the Olive Garden, bottomless bowl of pasta and REDSTI got all.
Speaker 3: Over, basically, and I pointed out to John that Steve, his wife and I went to this obscure little place recommended to them by one of their tour guides. And I can't even remember the name Steve will I can remember. I can't say. It just not a tourist trap. It took a bit of a drive to get up to the mountain to get to it, but we went and had lunch at this lovely little place, and it wasn't a huge lunch, but because none of us were all that hungry. But it was lunch, you know, Urncini and a whole bunch of things like that beer each for the Haywards, and a glass of wine for Lucretia. Of course you knew the ubiquitous sparkling water. You have to purchase nineteen euros for three people to have lunch and drinks. But yeah, it was a non tourist chap, so much so that we were getting nasty looks from people for being there. Yeah, I mean people were.
Speaker 2: Just kind of that was it was Chen. It was Chen to Repay. Was that name of the place. Yeah, and it's lap High, you know, and it's one of those, yeah, one of those mountain towns in Sicily that they seem to have a lot of those, they have a surplus.
Speaker 1: I'm still offended. I can't paign dollars. I mean, who these people think they are? We already put well tek to them since nineteen forty five. The least they can do is let us use good American money and not this euros with all these have you ever looked at the euro with all these like people they put on it. It's not play money designs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't. It's moknopoly money. Yeah. So you know, Milton Freeman thought it wouldn't last, and it's still here, but we'll see. But one last footnote on McDonald's story. I read a story here somewhere in the last week or so, and I wish I kept it because it's your kind of story, John. But it was about some scheme that some beat some loopholes the people have figured out in McDonald's when you order on their order the computerized boards they have now the app the kiosk well, okay, but if you go to the kioskin side, apparently, and I'm not sure if this was America or overseas what this happened, but somebody figured out that you could customize a burger order where you remove the meat and that lowered the that lowered the price. And the thing was if you if you ordered nine.
Speaker 1: That's called you know what that's called bread? Yeah, exactly, the order bread.
Speaker 2: But well, the way this worked is you'd order nine burgers with the meat taken out, and then the ten you'd order like a regular one, and it pants you got it for free, and and the other nine pieces of bread with you know, condiments on them were, you know, almost nothing, so you you actually got a free something like that. It was very strange, and I thought, you need to know about that scheme if it's can be replicated.
Speaker 1: I mean, why not just eat ten burgers? Who was the point of this?
Speaker 2: Because that would cost a lot more than fifteen eurosohn, they're only two bucks each in America.
Speaker 3: I will tell you the problem with never mind McDonald's real Italian food in their seventeen thousand courses. I mean even Steve after the third course was like, I can't eat anymore. And then of course they bring the lovely veal as the very last course, and you're struggling to even get a bite down, so instead you just keep drinking. You weren't.
Speaker 1: I had no problem. The only time I had trouble keeping my food din was when Steve started doing magic tricks in front of some of the highest ranking professors in Sicily. He I mean, this was a national humiliation that Alex has to think so poorly United States now.
Speaker 3: But David Copperfield.
Speaker 1: I still can't figeret how he does the damn truck with the ropes.
Speaker 2: It's really easy, and it's called professor's nightmare, by the way, so it's perfect for us. Okay, all right. One other, not entirely silly item, Happy Pride Month. You guys, it's June again. It's Pride month. Did you know that? May I learned this only the other day was National Barbecue Month, and naturally the news media ignored it and suppressed that news because that would have been worth celebrating. I do, though, think that Trump has the chance to do the funniest thing ever. I think he should lean into Pride Month, but change the name to Pride in America Month ahead of July fourth, a month from now, just to watch liberals go out of their mind. I think that would be fine.
Speaker 3: I've seen quite a few of those things at the at the much lower level, people talking about what we really need to be proud of, which is America. Not right, because I actually saw an interesting one really quickly that first of all, talked about all the reasons why pride in in LGBTQ stuff was very shall we say, unbiblical, but that that that that patriari pride in your fatherland. There's a certain amount of biblical support for that kind of pride, because it is not self serving and all of those things. So so I think we should make it a religious revival, to make the month of June patriotic pride month.
Speaker 1: There you go, right still, the side month. If they want to have parades, why not, I mean, what mat parades? So we watched one, honestly one. Actually I never get invited, strangely, but I've got no we what do we want to stop people from having parades?
Speaker 2: No, in an odd way that will scandalize the Christia. I'm I'm kind of with you, John and wanting to stage war parades. And because you know, well, here's why. I went to the nineteen eighty four Democratic National Convention in San Francisco as a reporter. The the day before the convention opened, there was a huge gay pride parade down Market Street and it was the total freak show. Now they're everywhere, right, but then it was the total freak show. Sister Boom Boom and the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence and all these other weird people, and you know, a lot of people with not much clothing on. Somehow I was standing next to some Republican operative who was there, and I don't know how we figured out that we were simpatico, but he said, you know, back in nineteen seventy two when McGovern was was the nominee, we pay people to do this. Now they're doing it for us for free. So I think they're doing these crazy things for free. Latest survey data from Gallup shows at public sympathy for the whole identity politics, but especially the LGBTQ plus stuff, including same sex marriage, by the way, is now on the decline after deadly rising, you.
Speaker 3: Know, only among Republicans.
Speaker 2: Well, but that's still you know, Republicans are going along with it, and now they're saying, well maybe not so okay, all right, look at taking a first quick ad break, and then we'll be back and start doing our quick hits on the news highlights of the week. So we'll be right back. We're back with a couple of news highlights in this week. I think it's been a sensationally good week, starting with Scott Pelly getting a boot from CBS News. I don't know how much time we want to spend doing a sack dance on that. The Obama Library opening is I think worth commenting on. We'll keep that in some order. Is there anything to be said? About this, the crazy business of British policing their George Floyd moment in reverse. I mean, it's pretty obvious what's wrong there.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I think really quickly. I know you want to keep this short, but if you add to that the the crimes committed by police and public servants in.
Speaker 2: Rocklingham, Rodingham, Rodingham, Yeah, Rotherham, Rotherham, Roderham, Rotherham.
Speaker 3: Sorry that, you know, allowing them to rape and groom little girls who were orphans and orphanages and not saying anything about it for decades because or at least years because they were afraid of being called racist. I mean, that is so insidious and evil. And this, I think is just you know, it's a carry on of that whole attitude that the most important thing is to have the right views about minorities and not be racist. And I think that they should. I think that those police officers should face the death penalty, which they won't, just like I thought every person involved in the gang grooming should have faced the death penalty. Let's get the I mean, every time I see anything in America that even hints of that sort of thing, which, believe it or not, I'm finding is also evident in the trial of the kid in Texas who stabbed the black kid who stabbed the white kid. The idea that we are still playing this game that somehow white people deserve to die because it was a minority who killed them. That's what's going on in England. That's what's going on in Texas. It's ugly. It's ugly if it's the opposite way too, you know, if white people are killing black people or any other minority, because if that's who they are, it's ugly. Let's stop. Let's have a color blind attitude about these things. Oh sorry, I'm done.
Speaker 2: Well, well, we'll come back to that point too. Yeah, I mean I missed the old you know, I think maybe the well who knows the exact origin of the problem. There's several roots to it. But I do remember the episode famous in you know, British literature of the colonialism once written a band of the Empire was all downhill ever since, right, And so there's that famous scene. I don't quite remember it exactly right, but it was where the British banned the custom of what did they call it? When they burned the widow after the husband died in parts of India. Right, No, it wasn't this different.
Speaker 3: Well that's not it, that's yeah, you're right, you're right it.
Speaker 2: But they used to they used to like burn the widow at the at the funeral of a man, a husband who died, and who knows how that started. But the British put a stop to it, and they said, and and they I think they executed a couple of people who carried on with the practice. And I forget the name of the British colonel, but they the Indians said to him, hey, this is our custom. And and they said, well, okay, you carry on your custom and we'll carry on ours. And our custom is we execute people who who burn innocent people at the state.
Speaker 3: So can you resurrect that colonel and put him in charge?
Speaker 2: Well that's my point, right exactly, Yeah, okay, okay, So John Bolton is agreeing to a plead deal. And I have to say, I mean, I have complicated views about the guy. Since I knew him and liked him, I like him, and I do think, well, I think it's great tragedy, really right. I think he was undone by his ambition when I think he should have known he was not a good fit for Trump, but you know, he was ambitious to be national security advisor. I think there's quite a contrast between his behavior and say hr McMaster, who also didn't get along with Trump, wrote a critical book, but not one with the same pitch to it as a Bolton's book. And I think, okay, so there you go. I have more thoughts than that. But John, oh wow, I thought you were going to.
Speaker 1: I thought time was for Lucretia gloating is at a set time of each show where we do Lucretia gloating. But yeah, I'm not happy that he's taking a plea deal. I wish he would fight to it. I'm not convinced that he violated the law. The facts are very different, I think than say Sandy Berger, the Clinton National secure advisor who tried to steal documents from the National Archives in his underwear and got off with a fine and no jail time probation.
Speaker 2: I think he got probation, but yeah, very small information. Yeah, I mean I think it sounds like the plea deal. Uh that they're friendly yet is up to sixty months in prison? I'm sure you know two. Yeah, I think we think Burger's fine was twenty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: It was, uh, the bunch of yeah, there's a whole bunch of other people too, like David Petreez who was the CIA director. He did. And then of course you've got you know, Biden Trump and uh, you know, but you know, we both had classified information. But it's usually shindn't was a children but Trump didn't, I mean sorry, Bolton didn't take any documents. What he did was he right wrote a diary and he sent these diary everyday diary entries to his wife and daughter who were helping.
Speaker 3: Him with the book, and then got them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. His mistake if he and this would have been what would have been the dispute effects at court was whether those diary entries contained classified and information themselves that he learned from his day, you know, working as naturally, whether he had properly sanitized them. And that's the question. I don't think that he would ever have the mental state to actually try to violate the law. So I don't know whether he would have been convicted because he would have just said I did not think there was class side information. I wrote them in a way that they didn't contain that information, but we won't know, so I'm not sure that he actually violated the law. But I also see why he would want to plead out because he doesn't want to die in jail given his age. He's in his late seventies, I think, and he doesn't want to spend millions of dollars engaged in criminal defense. But I think John's one of the I think he's one of the people we want to have in government. I mean, he's a true patriot. He didn't do this because he wanted to make money off it, and I don't think he did it. I think he thinks of himself. I think he thinks himself as a that he thought Trump was too dangerous and unstable a character to have in charge of our national security. And he wrote that book because he wanted to warn the country.
Speaker 3: Well, and I am not going to gloat as much as I would, because I know that you guys are both of that you are friends with him. I don't know him, I've never met him, but I will tell you that I look at a similar situation with somebody I do know, no well, have tremendous respect for, and that was Michael Flynn and Michael Flynn did not do anything wrong. He absolutely did not do anything wrong. And his reason for finally giving in and you know, getting a deal was because they were ruining him and then they threatened his kids. It was just the most despicable thing ever what happened to Michael Flynn. And I get what you're saying, John, I'm sorry. When I talked to mister Lucretia, Lucretio will stop and say, I can't talk about that. I can't show you the document that I stole from. I can't talk about that because it's a violation of federal law to write anything down, to send any kind of information, no matter how close you are to a person. And my guess is he could have probably gotten a pretty decent legal representation for two point two five million dollars. I think he knows he's guilty as hell. That's my belief. I think he knows he's guilty as hell, and he he probably started off not thinking that what he was doing was so terrible, but he was blind to what he was actually doing. He led his narcissism and his belief that he was right and the elected president of the world of the country was wrong blind him to his ethical duties and his patriotic duties and his legal duties. There's I'm done gloating, But again I don't. I mean, I look at that as I compare that situation to Michael Flynn, who did nothing wrong.
Speaker 1: And first Flynn, Flynn didn't release classified information. He was prosecuted for lying to the FBI agents, and I agree with you that the underlying facts of that didn't support the prosecution. But it's very different. I mean, he's I mean, it's just a different crime.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 3: But he was ruined. He was ruined.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't do it Bolton. I mean, this is just no comparison to Bolton.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so much more serious. I get it. But my point is Michael Flynn was my friend, and I know what it felt like to see what they did to him, and so I have sympathy for you guys. That's my point comparing them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think there is a broader rob information to be made about Trump one to Trump two, which is the knock on him, is Trump's just picking loyalists for Trump. You know this administration, right, this is Bill Poulty to be the new Director of National Intelligence, in yeah, right, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: It's only going to harden the administration.
Speaker 2: But see the point, he could have put a stop to the Flynn prosecution. And if that happened now, I think he would if in other words, if the Flynn circumstances are happening now, Trump would squash it. Trump is much more I think, perceptive of how deep the problem is and be more assertive in his power. Maybe he's taking it too far. I think some of his pardons have been pretty dodgy too. But that said, I think Trump learned a lot from that first term, and so he would never have considered Bolton to be National security advisor in Trump too. And then the thought experiment is, this is maybe a challenge for you, Lucretia, is if Bolton had written a book, I'll say, I suppose he written a book saying Trump's the greatest thing since slice bread, or if it had been more equivocal like HR McMaster's book, which was much more measured. I mean, it was critical but still also supportive of Trump in many ways. And hr has been very measured in the way he talks about Trump. He wouldn't tell you how he was going to vote in twenty twenty four, but added up his statements, it was pretty clearly thought. This binary choice is clear. You got to vote for Trump. Okay. I think if if Bolton had done something more in that vein, I think I don't think this prosecution would have been brought. I don't know. And then also John fight Remember the.
Speaker 3: Biden administration brought it initially, Well.
Speaker 2: They brought the investigation, yes, and then the Trump people they didn't prosecute him. And John, I mean, I know what you're saying about it. He should have fought the charges. He might have won. Look, the Justice Department was demanding something like an eight year sentence, essentially the rest of his life in prison if he's convicted. And I am not convinced that a Washington d c. Jury wouldn't have wanted to convict him because he's with the wrong party, right, And that, by the way, there's the dog that's not barking everyone about screaming from the rooftops on the left about Trump selectively prosecuting people. I haven't heard a boo from anybody saying it's terrible what they're doing to John Bolton. Not a word, because of course the left hates John Bolton. So they're going to keep their mouth shut here.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think the left will the enemy of my enemy is my friend, even though yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, okay, Well, I don't know. Let's do another quick break and we will come back with a couple more news items from the week that are important, I think, and then a long read into the Supreme Court. Don't go away, Okay. One of the happier things that happened this week, I think, keep your fingers crossed, knock on wood, is the results of the primary elections, especially in California, where Steve Hilton has come in first. I think he's going to hang on to his first place position. That was not to be assumed that there are a lot of late polls showing that two Democrats might go one and two. Instead, Tom Steyer has wasted two undred and fifty million dollars, making a bunch of campaign consultants and ad makers very rich. And then it looks like Spencer Pratt is going to make the run off in LA. Although this is a knock on wood part, a lot of ballots still sitting out there, and he's got a pretty good margin over the third place progressive Wacko lady. But it looks like he'll make it, and that will be an interesting thing. But it's going to take us forever to count all the votes, which ought to be a scandal. And I don't either one of you want to. Oh, I've said.
Speaker 3: This before, just shows we need to save act, which well yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, well okay, I'm not I guess that would affect state elections. I haven't I've forgotten the details. Now, the Pratt campaign, such as it is, I say such as it is. It's the first crowdsource campaign of this scale. I think we've ever seen people making these videos and posting them on Instagram. It's going to drive the regulators out of their mind because it looks like campaign speech. But of course, the way this racket runs is you can't regulate speech. You can only regulate money spent. If you spend over it's a very low threshold, just a few hundred dollars, you have to report it. But if you just make a video as a volunteer and you post on Instagram, you haven't spent any money. The regulators are going to hate this at this spreads to other races around the country, which I think it will, and I hope it will so.
Speaker 3: Jesse, we have had a lovely discussion with Steve's wife about this. Who is the expert, at least among this crowd. She's the expert, and she did explain Yet, yes, you can regulate money, you can't regulate speech. And when it comes to AI, this I didn't know. I think our listeners will find interesting. She explained that you can you can regulate AI if it purports to be actual. Actually, like, so, go back to my example of John when when when I had people in my office make some AI videos of the three Whiskey happy hour. The only way to do it with the software we had, the software that companies themselves have certain rules to make babies. Why because John is a celebrity. He's a very famous public person, and it would have required not just his permission, but all sorts of blah blah blah blah blah. If we made it seem like it was really John, if it's a baby, everybody else that's not joy.
Speaker 1: Protects me because they know who's really in charge around exactly AI.
Speaker 3: You need that AI. But here's the point. There was no campaign finance kind of regulation, very little regulation at all of electoral activities for several almost several centuries, right for decades, until money became such a big deal, because it used to be to stand out on the street corner and you could say anything you wanted and they couldn't do anything about it, and you could do it as a candidate, and you could do it as a supporter. With AI and the Internet, we're back at that situation right where I can say I can make my own AI video about Spencer Pratt and Karen Bass and put it on the Internet, and as long as I don't pretend that it's actually them saying what they're saying, then there's absolutely no regulation against what I do. Am I correct?
Speaker 2: Well, I think so. I think. I do think the problem of deep fakes, which they're going to get better and better was the technology evolves, it is a serious problem. I'm not sure regulation. I mean, I think California has passed the law against using deep fakes for a lot of purposes, not just political and campaign speech. I'm not sure in the campaign context if regulation is the right remedy. I think it has always been the case. In fact, I can remember one race from thirty years ago where a campaign had put up a TV ad that had incorrect information, and the person that was directed against threatened to sue the TV stations that were running it in the campaign for putting it up and got them take and down. I'm not exactly sure how the law worked in that particular case, but I think the remedy should be, at least in the campaign context, you know, some kind of claim, a false information, slander something love That kind hard to do in politics, right, because you know, I mean, what can what can we say about Graham Plattner that's not going to turn out to be true? Oh?
Speaker 3: Anyway, things I could have never thought of turned out to be true, So I guess you're right.
Speaker 2: Well, the other thing is, I mean, there's also the I mean a lot of the Spencer Pratt videos have got caricatures of Karen Bass and Governor Knew some but they're obviously caricatures, so they're not represented as real representations. So I don't and there's got to be an artistic license there. It seems to me otherwise every political cartoonist in the newspaper would be out of business.
Speaker 1: Help us out, John, I'm not sure what the question is anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. I mean is there a problem or if there is a problem with.
Speaker 1: I mean, so, I think one thing that you're talking about is that the social media makes an AI make possible decentralized campaigning where you have a huge effect without spending hardly any money, and you're relying on these kind of you just citizen supporters to make ads and videos and yeah, since the campaign laws are based on contributions and money, this is just going to fall completely. It's not even really First Amendment issue yet because the statutes they've written that these legislats have writ to control campaigning don't cover this kind of activity. So Lucretia's right, we're getting back to the world before there was a bottlenecks control created by the control of the media, where just anybody could print leaflets and say what they wanted, and that's that's going to be outside campaign finance on if they did, if the legislatures did try to cover it, which would be a mistake, then you'd have First Amendment free speech problems. So I don't I don't see how the government's going to be able to keep up with these, you know, rapid fire developments because of social media and AI, which I think is another example why AI to me and social media are a good thing not a bad thing to be regulated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, so believe it or not. In nineteen eighty five I wrote my master's thesis on the subject of campaign finance reform, and ultimately the conclusion was is that it was the law of unintended consequences. Every single time, every single attempt to regulate campaign finance financing the money in politics ended up benefiting those who did the regulating. And that's what it comes down to. So I find this whole thing very enticing. I guess you could say, just to see if we can actually destroy the entire call it the campaign consultant complex. If all of these people soon will be out of business instead of getting their millions of dollars from Tom Steyer, et cetera, et cetera, who needs them. They're still putting TV ads on television that nobody watches anymore. I mean, if you look at anything about television, the most popular programs, you had something on substack about this Steve whatever it was. Sixty minutes used to be like, you know, everybody what, I don't know what sixty minutes and forty years, you know? And I don't know anybody who has. I don't know anybody who would watch sixty minutes, and you know, I really don't. I guess you guys probably do because you're you know, those Aragal snobs. But I don't, and so they're not. Well anyway, that's my might. My thought is maybe this is a really good thing.
Speaker 2: Well, at the broader point about campaign finance regulation, which is goes back to fifty years now, the seventies with FACO, isn't that the first and the act is that it has helped erode and destroy political parties and it centralized our politics more. Those are broader subjects to pass along. I just will mention in passing because it's too much fun not to that. One of the heroes of resisting all that early on, in one of the early key cases was a guy named oh yeah. That guy's name was John Bolton. He did a lot of the principal legal work of the Buckley be Balo case.
Speaker 3: He's probably guy yeah.
Speaker 1: The giant of the Federal Society, a guy named Ralph Winter. It was my professor of corporate law and at Yale and became a judge and a Pella judge and Connecticut and was a great figure, and he argued he was a great figure of the conservative legal movement, and.
Speaker 2: He's the one who won the case a question. And it's a longer story than I tell in my biography of Stan Evans, but that decision is what allowed independent expenditures to help revive Ronald Reagan's campaign in nineteen seventy six when it looked.
Speaker 3: Doomed their ad noll that was eighty four.
Speaker 2: No, this is seventy six, when it was challenging Ford and Reagan was down and about out, it was preparing to drop out, and then a bunch of people's you know, my mentor Stan Evans said hey, you know what this court decision says, we can spend money on your behalf. We're going to go do it and it'll turn around in North Carolina and became a very close race. Right. So anyway, I do think I've happening.
Speaker 1: I think with Lucretia's right that inevitably campaign finance laws, efforts to regulate politics themselves, so inevitably is used by incumbents to keep themselves in power. So any of this decentralization is just to be welcome because it'll help, it'll help reduce the incumbent advantage in these elections. One other point about the Save Act I think Lucretia mentioned it is I don't think the Save Act would apply to these California races because the Constitution's election Clause, which the Congress is acting under, only applies to federal elections. So states are allowed. You know, California is allowed to right screw up.
Speaker 2: It's right.
Speaker 1: That's why we have this crazy jungle primary where you're allowed. I mean, Congress couldn't overrule that because that applies if they could overrule it as applies to election of federal officers. But when it comes to like the state governor, to state legislators, to the mayor here in San Francisco, you know, the state's allowed to screw up its elections as much as it once. There's no the election clause doesn't cover it.
Speaker 4: Well, true enough, but what about the fact that that would mean having two entirely separate electoral systems going on and eventually what I mean, okay, this time it doesn't, well, no, because you've got in November, you'll have federal elections, So you're going to have two separate electoral systems to elect your members of Congress's Senate, and you're.
Speaker 3: President and then you're I mean, I know that it's done on city councils. There are city councils that allow that allow illegals to vote.
Speaker 1: It's just that Congress can't. Congress can't regulate the state of options even if they're used. You know, the process is the same for the.
Speaker 2: Well. But also I mean, I mean, does this mean you're gonna like some parts of the bout are not going to be counted first? I mean that just seems like a codal god awful mess to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Administratively, it would be a pain in the neck, and most states would probably just conform to the federal standards, but they don't have to.
Speaker 3: Again, I totally get it.
Speaker 2: All right, let's let's have another quick break for a sponsor and we'll be right back. Oh. I did mention the Obama Library opening and that thing that looks like, uh, the Guardian describe it as looking like a kling on prison. And when the Guardian is dumping on your choices, that's really something.
Speaker 1: British don't understand America, because there's no such thing as cling on prisons. Now, they don't take prisoners, they just have work camps, like in Star Trek Sex where they sent them to slave labor camps. British once another example of why we should throw off this, your guys, bizarre idolatry of the British just because of their funny.
Speaker 2: Your example, John shows why William Shatner, as much as I adore him, should never be allowed to direct a movie because he's terrible at it. But that's the subject for another.
Speaker 1: That's Star Trek five.
Speaker 3: Okay, So here's here. So here's my quick wrap up of this. And I started to tell Steve this when we were in Italy in this absolutely beautiful church. We went in so many churches that were so old and so beautiful. I don't remember which, but it reminded me of what my old professor told me many many years ago about the difference between Protestantism and Catholicism and why Protestant churches. And I spent my early years in Protestant churches with their hard benches and the you know, very plane walls, and maybe there's a maybe, you know, there's a single crew to fix somewhere, but there's certainly no beautiful artwork or any of those things, at least not in in uh newer Protestant and and his argument was this that that Protestantism, especially this sort of evangelical product, it becomes a very personalized thing. And if you're I'll try my best, and I'm going to relate it back to Obama's library. If you're in a in a you know, bare bones Protestant church, you're thinking about you. If you're in a very ornate Catholics, uh, you know, any kind of beautiful church, you're you're overtaken the awe inspiring artwork and you know all of that. So it's it's it's just a difference in perspective that one looks to versus the other. Back to the library. The reason that Obama designed that ugly monstrosity the way he did, and the reason Steve actually brought it up and said, what can we relate this to Rutalist architecture in general, is yes, you know what, we don't want people looking beyond that. We don't want people looking to beauty. We want them looking at us. And if it was a beautiful library, people would be in there talking about how, you know, the how beautiful it is and all of those. Instead who's the king of the library. It's Obama, and you're never going to forget that, because what else is there to think about if it's so damn ugly. I'm not doing a really great job of explaining it because architecture is not my thing. But you get the point that it's all a kind of narcissistic all about me and denying aesthetic beauty altogether, because aesthetic beauty takes you outside of yourself.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, just as political philosophy has disappeared from political science or least sensible ones, aesthetics, which used to be a major sub field in philosophy, has nearly vanished from academic philosophy. Why it's too subjective and unscientific. And I actually think that the what do you say, the worldview of the left, however, whichever ways you want to describe it, is connected in some level to this architectural question. So Trump in his first term without an executive order saying federal buildings should be designed on the classical model that Washingt d c. Was built out with, right, you know, very roman asque for a Greek. Biden repealed that executive order on day one. You would have thought that would have been, you know, something to do on week three, but now it was important enough for the left that they wanted to rescind that on day one, because who knows how many federal buildings were in the process of being planned. Federal courthouses are often the worst. I don't know if you paid attention to this, John, but a lot of them are very very expensive, lots of blasts and weird stuff and designed to be They look like the Obama Library in some cases. I mean, they're really really awful. So I don't know, there's this just shows you the problem is comprehensive.
Speaker 1: You guys take a long time just to say something's ugly. But I'm a fan of presidential libraries. I actually have visited a large of them. They're just a few I haven't visited. And as you say, the newer ones get uglier over time because they're the I guess the people who plan these museums, and they're usually archives as well. I tend to be taken by, you know, the latest architectural feds. I liked the one, for example, the more traditional ones. For example, you go to FDRs, which I don't think is probably a lot of visitors. It's basically is how the house he was living. Yeah, and then there's like another building that's the archive, but it doesn't you would never mention it's not meant to make an architectural statement or the other ones I mean, for example, Eisenhowers I think is similar. It's not some grand architectural statement in Abilene, Kansas. But then you get to more resents like Clinton's, which if you go to Little Road is like it's like a l upside down and it yeah, gets along the river and it kind of sticks out over the river and people, I just don't know this true joke that where he's starting to do is bridge. You remember his phrase was building a bridge to the twenty first century. I'm sure Clinton wishes he didn't cross that bridge actually now all the trouble they're in, but it's unfinished, like a lot of things that they did, right, it's like not even close to halfway across that river. Right, maybe they had some grandiose plan to put a bridge or across the bridge over the whole thing. Another I don't know if the Obama administration will have this problem with their museum. But another just great tidbit about going to the Clinton Library and museum. I did a debate there at the library, and so I got to take a tour with the curator of the museum. And the first thing he says, when you need hi, miss, he says, before you even ask, I'm going to tell you we don't have it.
Speaker 2: Oh the blue dress, right yeah, And he says.
Speaker 1: Every single person comes as where's the blue dress?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Then it's interesting, he said, John, you're a lawyer. You know where the dress is, don't you. And I said, well, I guess right, because it's evidence in a criminal trial. And so after the trial's over, you give it back to the owner. So Nicolowski must have this stress. And I was like, I can't wait till she puts it up on eBay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. Oh what I would sell for a lot, wouldn't it? All right?
Speaker 3: Let's wait, wait, wait, before you go, I just want to make one further point about the left and ugliness. I this is not lookism. This is I think that the the the human equivalent of the Obama Library is your average leftist. I'm at the pharmacist the other day. I'm standing beside behind these two people, and one's a man, one's a woman, barely barely capable of noticing that covered in tattoos. Their hair is shaved up to hear both of them, huge gauges, you know, making their ear lobes this big multiple you know this, and that purple hair or no more like truce hair. And you know you could not have made yourself uglier if you tried.
Speaker 2: Well wait a minute, okay, no, you really.
Speaker 3: Couldn't overweight dumpy the clothes they were wearing, and they couldn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was weird. You stood up.
Speaker 3: The clothes they were wearing were designed to be ugly, like they had holes in them and they had runs, and I was just standing there sort of in awe about you know, some of this stuff is expensive, like lots of tattoos. That's expensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, now that you say you couldn't make yourself uglier, have you seen Jane Fonda lately?
Speaker 3: Now, Oh, Eugene Fonda is.
Speaker 2: Just a freak now, I mean she's approaching Michael Jackson levels of freakishness and all the look. She's been getting debt and fender work done for forty fifty years, the Collier Horowitz book about her hazard from you know, forty years ago. But lately she just had so much facial work. I get it that women want to preserve their looks as they age.
Speaker 3: That's working toward beauty, not against it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but but but yes, but the impulse to do what she's been doing to herself isn't that connected idiologically the same phenomenon we're talking about with the Obama Library, the conquest of nature? Right, okay, yeah, yeah right, And it's just it's astounding to me. I mean, what, she looks much worse now if she let herself age more naturally, I'll put it that way, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's tough. Trust, it's tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: One last to look in the mirror and see those wrinkles.
Speaker 2: But one last footnote from where we kind of began, John, I think, are you still nominally episcopalian? John? Why? What?
Speaker 1: Model?
Speaker 2: Nominal? Nominal? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess I am.
Speaker 2: Why because because you know, the nineteen seventy nine Prayer book, which was very controversial, because replace the twenty eight prayer book that was much more classical. It has as one of its youth buristic prayers what has long been known as the Star Trek prayer. Do you not know this? No, here's how this is the it's one of the collects. It's it's eucharistic prayer. See in the prayer book. Here's a little of it. You'll see why. It's called the star Trek prayer. God of all Power, Ruler of the universe, You are worthy of glory and praise Lord to you, forever and ever. At your command, all things came to be, the vast expanse of interstellar space, galaxy, suns, the planets in their courses, and this fragile Earth are island home. It starts to sound like an Anthony Kennedy opinion.
Speaker 1: This is not book in the Book of common it is.
Speaker 2: I'm not making it in some kind of immense it's and it's in right to eucharistic prayer. See you can look it up. As they say, Oh, I know it's pretty. I don't think anyone uses it, but it's there. And all right, all right, quick break and we'll we'll get out with a few words about the Supreme Court. Since as usual we have run long, but this commercial break will not run long. Don't go away. Well, it's been another busy week of the Supreme Court. But I think we want to hold a lot of stuff until the term ends here at the end of the month or early July, as it's been doing lately. I did think the best article I read this week was Paul Marino of Hillsdale College, who's a historian there. I've never met him, but I's written some really good stuff in an article on law and liberty. That was a review of the Sarah Isger book, which is what the Last Branch Standing. That's she's getting lots of press and everybody's falling all over how great it is. And I'm gonna skip over it. For the most part. I think it's overdone. For one thing, Lucretia Sarah Is I don't know her, but she does a podcast with David French, and that's all you need to know, right, I mean.
Speaker 3: Okay, but come on, what is it with people that think they have to be scatological in what purports to be a scholarly work. I am just so tired of standing just being absolutely abandoned.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, well, well, Lucretia's referring to is some really stupid lines in the book that quotes in his review that I will skip over. I will say one thing I like about the review. So he gave me a new German word that I'd never heard before, geffousturisprudens, which he says is a jurisprudence of emotion and sentiment. The Warren Court approach, right, it goes a lot with my favorite German term I got from Albert Herschmann Velt for schlecktorer, which means world worsener, and that describes almost every progressive I like that world worsener veal for schlecturer. Look, the Marino article talks about how we really have seen I mean, okay, are the items on our minds. We have the major Questions doctrine, we repealed, the Chevron doctrine. Originalism is writing in the saddle in the various forms that it has. But he says we've now getting rid of judicial supremacy by degree. At least he thinks that's what's happening. We are abandoning the idea that the Supreme Court should be the avatar of progress in the terms that Alexander Bickel laid out in that really terrific book of his from the early seventies I think, which I dusted off after Paul's article. So what do you think is that overly brought I mean, is that really the outline of sanity at the moment from our courts or let's start with you, John, since you know I want to pull you out of the weeds, to get you up with the limbs of the trees a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, I haven't read Sarah's book. You should realize Sarah is a kind of Well, is a Claremont a student and a fellow at one of the Claremont Institute summer programs, which is where I first met her. And she's a conservative, and I think she was writing the Trump first term. She was the press secretary for Attorney General Jeff Sessions. That's how she got her star. So she's no liberal, but she is basically a journalist. And so I think Marino and other people like guess we might be expecting too much from her book because it is more, from what I can tell, a kind of journalistic account, and UH is going to praise. The main subject of what she covers is the Supreme Court. That's not no surprise. But then you know she's going to fall into the traps of the way the media covers the Supreme Court right, which is, as you say, judicial supremacy. Steve has let the dogs out as usual.
Speaker 2: It's Lucretius dogs. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, the camera is showing that the chaos. That's that's that we see in Lucretious cave that she calls us. Oh my god, there's like a puppy.
Speaker 2: Well we heard about this last week. There it is. There's a puppy.
Speaker 1: Oh what a cute dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, I wasn't on the podcast last week, but I did listen to that's you guys, and are Jay engaging in your self self referential Claremont cheer session? From what I could tell, Oh, there you go again, right, But just to go back to the book and the review, you know, she's just, you know, she's going to follow the conventional wisdom on the court, which is, oh, judicial supremacy is fine, and why isn't the Supreme Court and more to save America? And aren't the other branches so terrible? And we love the Supreme Court because it is the you know, the only institution that seems to be working. You'd expect her to do more. I think defending the Court is an institution from the attacks.
Speaker 2: Of the left exactly, yes, but you know I think.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, to the extent that Marino's review is corrected, it sort of slides over this very important debate that we're all familiar with about judicial supremacy versus departmentalism, which is each branch interprets and constitution for itself. You know. Again, she's writing a more journalistic account, and so we can't expect her to have delved into that important issue. But to the extent she believes in judicial supremacy, she's going to be wrong, right, Like, that's inconsistent with the original understanding and the basic structure of the Constitution.
Speaker 2: Well, you just laid your finger on a key point I want to draw Lucretia out on, which is, Look, it's pretty clear that the left's next target to delegitimize as the Supreme Court. If they can't pack it and own it, they're gonna attack it. They're already doing it. They say it's an illegitimate court. That's the phrase that they use because they don't control it. And it seems to me that a book about the last branch standing ought to have some serious arrows aimed at that problem. And I think all can gather she's really kind of dodged all that, and I think that is a failure of nerve.
Speaker 3: I think I would say she dodges it too by sort of embracing that silly nonsense about the three three three. So what I mean by that is there a three in her opinion. There's not six conservatives and three liberals. There's six excuse me, three liberals, three conservatives, and she really despises Clarence Thomas, it's obvious. And in the middle you've got the great people Kavanaugh, Roberts and what's her name, Amy Cony Barrett and are the people who care about the institution and care about preserving what I always say about John Roberts, which is he cares more about the integrity of the court than he does the integrity of the Constitution. And you know, so I get from a call it as John does a journalistic point of view, I prefer it more as a as a typical millennial political I'm going to be middle way support of point of view. Yeah, you've got to overturn all of those horrible things that the war in court did. You don't have a choice that you would do it slowly, that you would do it incrementally. It's it's absolutely fine, But you know, I just it's it's it's really awful that something like that is becoming such a you know, causleb for everyone. Because I guess I should write it. A better book needs to be written.
Speaker 2: All right, So I want while you queue up your Babylon bees, to take us to the end. Do you see some questions in the chat? Is the new dog named Baron like Baron von Richtover or Baron after the b e r e and the No?
Speaker 1: No, of course, Lucretia named it after President Trump's son.
Speaker 3: No, no, I didn't name it President. I didn't name it because it's really not my dog. It's my dog, my son's dog. And he named it Baron b e r E. N Oh, yeah from the silk. I can't even say the word, much less to spell it.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And he had a different name in mind, but some sort of wolf dog, but it was too hard to say, and it ended up sounding like we were calling.
Speaker 2: Him wan oh bayorn Byorn was the was the big sort of wolf bear character in the Hobbit.
Speaker 3: I think, I think, I don't know, I'm not I am not the expert, so anyway, so he's But I have one quick thing for everybody who's followed my dog life Kaiser, who's about one hundred one hundred and five pounds very you know, stuck and is scary looking. That's my dog at this age weighed eight pounds. This is a dog from the same line of German shepherds. He had his eight week and so it would be not he was nine weeks old. At his appointment yesterday with the vet. He weighs eighteen pounds. Oh he's going to be huge. Oh boy, I could barely pick him up because he weighs eighteen pounds at nine weeks old. So anyway, sorry, and he's grown two pounds since we've had him in a week.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, got some bees, I.
Speaker 3: Do I do much sorry about that for people who for all our Muslims listeners out there, I apologize, not really, Okay. California announces they have finished counting the votes and Ronald Reagan has won the nineteen sixty six governors.
Speaker 2: I like that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I know. There's a lot of good ones. I'll keep it short. Sixty minutes begin search for new pompous blowhard. That was one of my favorites. Uh kure Starmer warns uk about rise of murder murderer phobia. Yeah, I can't even say it, Grandplatt, and we didn't talk about it much. It'll be interesting to see how this thing all falls out. I do want to mention that I think that the Times story really was an attempt to uh A, get ahead of everything. But b they are pushing a certain pushing for a certain uh part of the electorate that that is not bothered by the fact that this guy is just a vile scumbag of a human.
Speaker 2: You're talking about, Graham Platina.
Speaker 3: Now, oh sorry, So yeah, I'm looking at it. That's my I apologize. Graham Platner reassures voters that there are probably only fourteen or fifteen more horrific revelations to come.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know it's bad. I'll end it with this, just when this one's just for John Silton pleads guilty, sentenced to five year imprisonment at SeaWorld, and he's sitting on a rock with a bunch of Walruses.
Speaker 2: What's so bad about Sueworld?
Speaker 3: Nothing bad about it. He'd probably be happy to be hanging out with the Walruses at SeaWorld if he does actually get those sixty month in jail, he won't I don't think. But anyway, I'm done.
Speaker 1: Okay, always drink your whiskey, neat buy more books than Steve your new sign.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, We'll just do a generic one for now because I'm behind on everything. You've been listening to Three Whiskey Happy Hour. We thank our sponsors at the Civitas Institute, where we're all three of us happy fellows. Now. We appreciate our hosts at Ricochet for hosting and producing our podcast, and we'll be back next week. We hope we'll be scattered again around the world, it turns out, with another edition of the Three Whiskey Happy Hour, and we're going to go out at the end of the month with a big Supreme Court roundup. So for that, enjoy your weekend, everybody. Ricochet joined the conversation.