Speaker 1: In the early two thousands, as conservative groups in the United States began losing legal battles over LGBTQ rights and secularism, they shifted their focus and money to Uganda, a country they identified as ideal ground for a religious takeover. Over twenty major American evangelical groups poured over fifty million dollars into Africa, with Uganda receiving the massive amount of shared the United States. Christians were successful beyond their wildest dreams. Fundamentalist, evangelical and pentecostal movements successfully embedded themselves within the highest echelons of Ugandan governance, to the point where parliamentarians now openly base legislative goals on biblical mandates rather than constitutional law or science as in the United States. Ugandan lawmakers framed this effort as defending quote traditional Christian family values. The result, Uganda has seen a major surge in state sanctioned arbitrary arrests, police torture, extortion, correctional rapes, the forced evictions by local councils. The anti science religious climate has gotten so dangerous that vital HIV healthcare providers and human rights organizations had to shut down out of fear for their safety. Oh And homosexuality is now punishable by death.
Speaker 2: This is not unique to Uganda.
Speaker 1: Russia recently developed a deep transactional symbiosis between Putin's authoritarian state and the Russian Orthodox Church. As in Uganda, homosexually has been homosexuality has been criminalized. Unapproved versions of Christianity like Jehovah's Witnesses were banned, their property seized, and hundreds of their members subjected to torture and long term sentences to Siberian penal colonies. Other Evangelical and Protestant groups in Russia faced tight restrictions, fines, and bans on worship outside of state approved buildings. Now, let's compare these early days of those movements to what we're seeing in Texas. Over the last three years, Texas has been systematically dismantling the wall of separation, replacing trained school counselors with unlicensed anti science religious chaplains, forcing the Ten Commandments into every public classroom, and just this week, mandating Bible passages as required reading for millions of students. As in Uganda and Russia and other places, the religious right in Texas frames US as harmless return to tradition and defending family values.
Speaker 2: But as we have.
Speaker 1: Seen the consequences of similar movements around the world, show us the true end game of codifying dogma into law by defining prosperity and security and religious terms. The state successfully framed human rights advocates, secularists, and minority communities as an existential threat to the state or nation, a thought to end on. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor once famously warned, quote those who would renegotiate the boundaries between church and state must answer a difficult question, why would we trade a system that has served us so well for one that has served others so poorly. If you want to talk about this or any other religious issues, call us because the show starts now. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, everybody. Today is June twenty eighth, twenty twenty six, and I want to welcome you to the atheist experience. Thank you for joining us. I'm the cross Examiner, and I'm delighted to say joining us right now is godless engineer. How are you doing Godless?
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm doing pretty good. I'm pretty excited today. I know that we've already got some callers lined up and so I'm always up for some conversation. I'm I'm a little perturbed by the situation that we find ourselves in, but you know, here in America. But you know, other than that, I'm totally I'm totally stoked and excited today.
Speaker 1: Me too, Me too. We had we had some callers left over from the last show. I did see that a couple I wanted to talk to have dropped off just as we started. I hope you didn't think that things were over. Call us back if you want to, because we're eager to take your call and talk about these things. Because I don't know about you, godless, but I'm a firm believer that in talking with each other across the aisle, so to speak, the religious aisle, we can come to a better understanding of each other's positions and hopefully moderate each other to a point where we can get to live with each other without criminalizing homosexuality or prisoning people, or favoring my religious group in the tax law or whatever it may be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, same here.
Speaker 3: I mean, I hope that we can do that, But you know, I feel like every.
Speaker 4: Day is a big letdown.
Speaker 3: So I mean, I can only hope that the future brings better days, but we'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, I agree. First, before we get these calls, I'm gonna get through this quickly so we can jump on them. We need to tell you that The Atheist Experience is a product of the Atheist Community of Austin, a five oh one c three nonprofit organization dedicated to the promotion of atheism, critical thinking, secular humanism, and the separation of religion and government. This means the fact that it's a charity means that you can give us tax free donations as many as you want in fact, and know that not only is it going to go to a good cause, but it also helps you too. We are I don't know if you've done this yet, John, but we are now try streaming triple streaming when we're live. A big shout out to our viewers on TikTok and YouTube mobile. If you're watching us tonight on TikTok and you'd like to talk to us, then request to join and we'll bring you up on stage. Please be sure, however, if you do that, that you are eighteen or older. And with that, I think we should just jump into these calls.
Speaker 4: What do you think Oh yeah, I'm totally down for it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm fascinator. There's two that fascinate me. I'm going to start with Tom, who wants to share their experience with God. And Tom did not give any pronouns. And it's Tom from Michigan. Tom, how you doing.
Speaker 5: I'm doing pretty well.
Speaker 6: I'm doing.
Speaker 5: I'm all right. I just struggle with finding people to have like friendships with or stuff like this.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I have certain friends, but none of them understand anything about me, and they kind of just think I'm I don't know, I don't know, they.
Speaker 7: Don't think they think I think off.
Speaker 5: But I know this is true. And I don't talk about this with like many people. I've told my closest friends. I've tried to talk to my dad about it, but my dad's like exactly kind of like you guys, where he's very atheist and he grew up with like just things that make people atheist.
Speaker 1: And well, why don't we start from the beginning, then, Tom, and tell us what you're talking about. So let's start with a question that we often ask people as a good starting point. What is it from a religious perspective? What is it that you believe. And more importantly, why do you believe it?
Speaker 5: I believe in a higher being that brings I believe in love and these love feelings that I have and these.
Speaker 1: What do you believe about love? That love exists?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So, John Godless, do you believe love exists?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it totally exists.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's obviously I think that it's you know, chemical reactions in our brains that gives us as certain experience. So sorry, the middle of my sentence interrupted the beginning of yours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tom, just just I asked John a question Godless so we could get a consensus here and then we were going to throw it back to you. That's how the show works. So please Godless, do you continue?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 3: So, like I understand, it is the chemical process that gives us those experiences, and so I don't need I don't see a need to like suppose a larger meaning to that. I feel like we can just have those experiences and let those experiences sit with how they are, as opposed to attributing them to some kind of magical wizard that is necessary for it or somehow enables us to have those feelings. I just don't see the need for that God or that wizard or however you want to present them.
Speaker 4: I don't see the need for them in that process.
Speaker 1: What do you think, tom Oh, there is.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know what to make that.
Speaker 1: I love well. I asked you what you believed from a religious perspective and why, and the first thing you mentioned was love. So we assumed you meant love was God or there was a religious aspect to love. And we told you, well, you know, we believe that love exists, so we agree with you that exists, but we don't think that there's a religious component.
Speaker 9: Do you.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't believe in everything that's been told in the Bibles. I don't believe a lot of the Bible stuff. I believe that some of these stories are probably true. I just know that there are deep feelings in hold on. I'm trying to answer. I'm trying to tell you something because this stuff doesn't make sense to me, or I don't really know how to make it. It does make sense.
Speaker 3: To me, yeah, I mean sorry. I was trying to interject so that I could help guide you in getting your thoughts collected and so that maybe we can actually instead of meandering around in the dark. Maybe I can give you a flashlight, right, so maybe you can tell us exactly what, how how do you know or what exactly is compelling to you that convinces you that there's something beyond just our mere experience.
Speaker 5: None of this like that I have can be like provable or anything I'm going to say. But these are like experiences and places that I've been to and has experienced. But it's just like a place that I went to and I don't know how I got there and I came back and everything that I used to know or care about or and I didn't even know any when I came back.
Speaker 6: I didn't know who I was or.
Speaker 10: Where I was, what I was.
Speaker 1: That's that's let me jump in, Tom, Well, you know you're in, you're talking, You're no. I'm going to guide the conversation because this is our show and I've got lots of callers on the line, okay, and you're talking in these abstract ways. I had experiences. I didn't know who I was. I don't know what to take from you as being literal or being figurative. What I am interested in right now is from a religious pass Well, first of all, let's back this up to a higher level. Why are you calling today? What's your goal? Is your goal to talk about your experiences or is your goal to talk about some assertion about God and why you think it's true, wrong.
Speaker 5: That God is not evil or something? And I just wanted to tell my story and tell you why I think that this is the most important thing.
Speaker 1: And do you understand that a story is not the best way to present evidence?
Speaker 5: We are also special to have those, and of course there's a god, Tom, Tom, I'm muting you, Tom, So Tom, do you understand that a story is not the same thing as presenting evidence as to.
Speaker 2: Why you're right?
Speaker 1: Right? I want you to contemplate this. If your goal, as you said, is to dispute the assertion that God is not evil, I would expect an answer along the lines of God has the following attributes, those attributes are not evil, therefore God is not evil.
Speaker 2: That would be like a sound and valid argument.
Speaker 1: What you're telling me is I think love is real, and I went places and I didn't know who I was. That's not a response to this prompt. Either you are unable right now, due to whatever reason, to answer the question, or you don't want to, So I'm going to give you another chance.
Speaker 2: Tom.
Speaker 1: Why do you believe that there is a God and that that God is not evil?
Speaker 5: I tried to give you context before I told the story.
Speaker 8: That's what that was.
Speaker 1: Okay, we don't need the context. Give us your argument, and.
Speaker 5: I can't give you an argument.
Speaker 1: I can just okay, story, that's fair.
Speaker 5: Explain that explains these things, and that's that's all that that would matter.
Speaker 1: But are you interested in any self examination today? What self examination? Turning your eye onto yourself and examining your thought processes and your reasoning, Because I think there might be an interesting conversation to have in that spot that might be interesting to our listeners. Specifically, the question would be, if you can't explain why you believe something, do you think that you should be believing it in the first place?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do you think that's a good way to find truth?
Speaker 5: These are feelings of love, feelings that aren't anything you'd ever have for like your kids, or your grandparents or anyone you've ever known in your life. I was brought somewhere and I felt feelings that I can't describe or really ever put into words for you, But it was a place where So.
Speaker 3: Hold on, I'm sorry, but I need to interject here. I don't understand the purpose of your call, Tom. Is it just because you wanted somebody to talk to? Because if that's the case, then I suggest they're recovering from Religion Foundation. They have people there that are trained to actually help guide anybody.
Speaker 5: I wanted to try to tell you why God is the thing and that it's definitely real and.
Speaker 3: Tell us why that instead of explaining how your thiefes are today?
Speaker 4: Can you do that for us? Tom?
Speaker 5: Well, well, it's a part of my dream and it's a story that I have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, let mean, let me give you an example, Tom, of what we're getting at, uh, godless engineers an engineer, I'm an attorney. We deal with you know, science based, evidence based reasoning and logic. It's kind of like, you know how the world gets better, right, It is how we build bridges that don't fall down and kill people because it's not because we felt like it was a good way to build a bridge. It's because we've measured the tensile strength of this particular bolt under this amount of pressure. If I went into court and I said, my client is not guilty because I had a dream and it took me to a place and I felt so much love for my client. He couldn't possibly have shot the victim. Right, you would laugh me out of court. I hope as a juror, do you agree with that that that would be not a good way to get to the truth if you were in a court of law.
Speaker 5: I'm not It's just stupid arguments.
Speaker 1: I'm not debating you in okay. Thing I'm here to talk about, yeah, off topic. Thing is is evidence. That's what I'm talking about. Evidence for your claim God exists, and your evidence is I don't care the details of your story. Your evidence is a personal story.
Speaker 5: Evidence has been hidden and deleted, and there's scholars that think they know everything to try and make us brainwashed into believing this.
Speaker 1: There now we're making some claims. What evidence do you have of that?
Speaker 5: There are scholars everywhere who make everyone think that they are right and so right.
Speaker 1: I would argue.
Speaker 5: Everything, and then they made these people and claimed them to.
Speaker 1: Be so John, what's your take on this?
Speaker 3: Well, I feel like what thom is saying here is that he had a dream that meant that made him believe that God was real, and so he wants to come up here and tell us in a vivid detail what his dream was so that we will then admit that his God is real. But I don't see how a dream that he had where I'm not exactly sure what he was going through there. That's why I suggested the we're recovering from religion foundation. But it seems like he had an intense experience that made him believe in God, and maybe it's a little uncomfortable for him to consider that other people don't believe it. Maybe he's getting a little bit of pushback from home, like hey, dude, that's just a dream, you know. Like I've had a dream where I was crawling at skyscraper heights and then I started to fall and that was scary. But that doesn't mean that, you know, the giant skyscraper, you know, horrible reality is actually true in some kind of way. So Tom, when we bring you off of mute, I would really love for something other than a dream or a vision or.
Speaker 1: Something like that, or conspiracy theory or conspiracy theory.
Speaker 3: How do you know that your God is real? Don't shit talk, scholars, don't shit talk other people. Just tell me why do you believe what you believe about God?
Speaker 5: Because I get these love feelings from him and these other things.
Speaker 4: And now we're right back to the very beginning of our conversation.
Speaker 3: Where you use the love feelings? Is just using your word here your words the love feelings that you feel. Where does God take parts in the process of that experience of love? In my view, let me explain to you my view, and then I'll let you answer. In my view, it's a chemical reaction in your head that operates within the structure of your brain, and how your brain operates, and how you feel those feelings, how you have those experiences that cause other complex interactions with the other parts of your brain that then give you that full experience of love. Now, I don't know where God factors into that. Maybe you can tell me point to the part of the brain or the part of the process where God factors into it.
Speaker 5: It's got nothing to do with the brain or anything.
Speaker 1: Have you that's a great response. Have you ever? What evidence do you have that feelings exist in the universe absent a brain?
Speaker 5: Because I remember, man, I can't I can't say anything.
Speaker 1: Let me put it in another way, my body, Where do rocks have feelings?
Speaker 5: Tom was nothing but a consciousness?
Speaker 1: Do you see Tom? Tom?
Speaker 2: Tom?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 2: Tom? Tom?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do rocks have feelings?
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Do you think they have feelings?
Speaker 1: What's more likely a rock has feelings or a rock doesn't have feelings?
Speaker 2: What's more likely?
Speaker 5: Probably not?
Speaker 2: Okay, So at least we can agree on that.
Speaker 1: I have yet to experience anything that doesn't have a brain that I have any evidence of that it experiences feelings. I think you would agree if we took thirty minutes to pin you down on that. So I'm going to shortcut that and just say I think we agree. It's much more likely that nothing without a brain has feelings, So I'm just setting that up. So then my follow on question is what creates feelings in brains? Is there only one cause or can there be multiple causes? And then my second question is can the person experience the feelings experiencing the feelings? Can the person experiencing the feelings be wrong about the cause of those feelings?
Speaker 8: I e.
Speaker 2: Could you be wrong about the source of your feelings?
Speaker 5: That's what those beings? Do? They want to.
Speaker 1: Answer the question? Tom, Tom? Tom, Tom, answer the question why aren't you answering the question.
Speaker 4: Tom, maybe you should use his name Matthew.
Speaker 1: Tom, answer the question or admit that you were unwilling to answer the question. Could you be wrong about the source of your feelings?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: No, okay, you are infallible. Congratulations you got anything else? Godless?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Matthew, I'm just kind of curious. Sorry, Tom, I'm just kind of curious, like since you since you don't really have a good answer for where God factors into the process of love that we have, the chemical processes.
Speaker 5: There is no real answer for this. I can't actually explain it to you. I just know about.
Speaker 3: Then why then, why should we believe in your version of God places that I have been If you can't, if you can't explain, Matthew, Matthew, lock in, lock in, Matthew, Matthew, listen to me.
Speaker 11: You.
Speaker 3: If you can't explain it to us, then then why do you think that we should believe in your version of God? Why does it bother you so much that we don't believe in God, or that your dad doesn't believe in God doesn't bother me, then why are you calling in? It bothered you enough to call in because we don't believe in God, and you wanted to explain why your God exists.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I wanted to tell you a thing that I experienced that was way more than it felt like reality was this reality feels way less than this place that I was in.
Speaker 1: How can we just differentiate your experience from the experience of somebody who's wrong experienced. How can we differentiate your experience from somebody who was on LSD but didn't know it. How can I tell the difference? You've gotta believe in me. How can I tell the difference and you can take it? Tom? You're talking and not listening. How can I tell the difference between what you say is happening and somebody else who has a different version of the story but is wrong, like they were on LSD they got doosed and didn't know it. How could I tell the difference between you two that you were right and the other person who was unknowingly on LSD was wrong.
Speaker 5: Because mine gets into things that the person on LSD would have never gotten into.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're just wrong, Tom, you just have no logic whatsoever.
Speaker 3: Matthew, Matthew, let's lock in right and and you're just false. There the LSD and the hypothetical the LSD person has the exact same quality quantity of experience as you have.
Speaker 4: It's exactly the same.
Speaker 3: What's the differentiating factor in those experiences that makes yours?
Speaker 4: That makes yours real?
Speaker 5: And there's not, because mine lasts forever. And I don't know who I am when I woke up in there, and I didn't know who I was when I came back, and I didn't know anything.
Speaker 3: See, you think someone tripping out on LSD is gonna know who in the fuck they are in the moment, Like, I mean, I've never done LSD's I guess.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but the same I mean, his saying mine lasts forever is actually, quite frankly, the most logical thing you've said today, Tom, Like, we could run experiments where we monitor somebody's blood intake and all that, but that wasn't the point, and I think you know that wasn't the point. The point is, as a third party observer, I'm getting testimony from you that you're right because you say you're right, because you feel you're right. And I get testimony from somebody else who calls me and says God is evil. And I know that because I feel all this hate from God, and it lasts forever, and I'm convinced that I'm true because I feel it's true. And then when I ask that person how I could tell the difference between you two, he says, because this other guy's wrong, just like you're saying he's wrong. How do I get out of that spider man situation where we're pointing at each other as to which one's wrong and which one's right. And to date, you haven't given us anything other than trust me, Bro, And that's not a good way to find out the truth. Anybody else comes to you with a proposition about something you should or shouldn't do, ninety nine percent of the time they're going to have some evidence that they give you that will lend support. Now it may be fabricated, but at least it'll be evidence. It's not just trust me, Bro. I wouldn't trust you if you said, hey, invest with me, give me a million dollars. I'll turn it over tenfold in ten days. Trust me, Bro. So why should we believe anything you say? What evidence do you have other than your feelings?
Speaker 5: I mean, they're not like my feelings. These were real places that I've been to No.
Speaker 3: You started off saying that it was your feelings, like these were your deep love feelings, right right, said yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, I appreciate the call. Tom, have a good day. We'll we'll work with you again if you call back someday. But man, that's not the best way to kick off the show with somebody that that. I mean, I guess I have to address anybody that's watching. If you are a religious person of any stripe, do you think that Tom was the best argument for the existence of God if not give us a call. We gave him a chance. I don't think we were rude, but my goodness, I don't. I think that's the most abstract, illogical call I've gotten in years.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I do want to emphasize to people that if you feel the need that you know you want to call an express like these thoughts or feelings that you have and you're confused by them, there are you know, there are plenty of organizations out there. Recovering from religion is a perfect organization to call it.
Speaker 4: They have like a chat line.
Speaker 3: They've also both textual chat on their website as well as you can call in or you can use a Seculartherapy dot org and you can get a line on some good secular therapy either one. Those would be the places to call in and talk about your feelings and how they made you feel, and how confused you are as opposed to well, I mean, I'm just an asshole on the internet, you know, just calling an asshole on the internet and asks them what their thoughts are on it or something, trying to convince them of one thing or another.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, that's what I would suggest.
Speaker 1: I agree. I echo that I have serious concerns about the what Tom is going through.
Speaker 2: I'll leave it at that.
Speaker 1: I hope Tom you find the help you need to address these issues. I think that if you're finding that everybody you know and everybody who cares for you, and people on the internet who do this for a living and analyze sort of claims, if you find everybody is in your eye ignoring you and maybe even eventually in a conspiracy against you to hide the truth, I think that's a sign you really need to talk that out, because I'd be very worried if you lived your life that way and didn't sort of face the question of what if I'm wrong, what if this is just an experience or a feeling I'm going through. I've told this story before on the show. The very short version is went through a fifteen hour surgery, came out of it. The nurse was trying to steal my stuff and not feed me in all these things, and after investigation of a good friend of mine, she found out, oh, you were put on this new pain med. Attending comes over, he goes, oh, yeah, we're putting you on the old pain med. As soon as that happened, nurse was the nicest person, and I realized I was just imagining the whole thing. But while it was going on, I would have sworn under oath, at the risk of losing my livelihood, losing my law license, I would have sworn that this was going on. You have to understand that your mental state is only evidence of your mental state. It's not evidence of anything else. Physical evidence is great, consensus evidence is great, but anecdotes, especially of one and where the anecdote includes everybody around me is trying to convince me I'm wrong. You might want to start looking into the possibility that you're wrong, and there's other causes. I don't know if you've ever had any of those experiences godless where you're like, man, it could be little things like I swear to God this thing happened and everybody with me was wrong. And then I look at the video that was taken us. Nope, it didn't happen. But I think we've all had moments where we were convinced but we were wrong.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean I'm wrong all the time. My wife is sure to point out when I am. So you know, I've got that good barometer there.
Speaker 1: Excellent, very good. Okay, So, callers, I think you can do better than that. We set a very low bar here. If you want to defend what Christians are doing in Texas, call us. If you think that what happened in Uganda and the name of Christianity.
Speaker 2: Was good, call it.
Speaker 1: We have other callers. I have a few announcements and we'll get to you. Callers. First of all, please like the video and subscribe to the channel, enable notifications, and comment below on your favorite caller right now, we have one, maybe he's your favorite. Another way to support us is by sending in super chats. Get them in and we will read as many as possible on the air. That's a great way to support the team. Next, if you're in the Austin area, which is where the ACA is located, of course, follow us on meetup to keep up with community events. You can see what's going on at tiny dot cc slash ACA Meetup. There's events like Philosophy under the Stars, game Nights and more. Next, you can join our weekly watch parties at the Free Thought Library on Sundays for live viewings of Talk Heathen and The Atheist Experience every Sunday, doors open at noon and it's a great place for community building. Last, but not least, we have to thank the people who screen the calls like you just heard and try to figure out what there are before they get on stage. The people who man the microphones, the cameras, the mixer boards, get the streams together across three different platforms every single show, every single week. There they are a big thank you to our crew who put this show together every week. Video operators, audio operators, note takers, call screeners, chat moderators. Would you like to be one of these gorgeous, attractive, financially successful gods among men and women. Would you like to be a guest on one of our shows? Would you like to try hosting a show. We're always looking out for people interested in being a part of our productions, so if you're interested, please email volunteer at Atheist Hyphencommunity dot org to get involved. That's what I did several years ago, and I've really enjoyed working with the team. I eventually got to go out for the back cruise one year. That was awesome. Have you done the back cruise? Godless.
Speaker 3: I have not been lucky enough to do the bat yet, but I'm hoping to make it out there one year. I think that I think that I'm a little preoccupied this.
Speaker 4: Time around too. Yeah, but I'm really hoping.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm really hoping to make it out there sometime soon.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, well maybe we can see each other one of these years. I'm gonna take the next caller, unless you have any any other comments on the on the amazingly attractive crew we just showed.
Speaker 4: I'm really appreciative of the crew.
Speaker 3: They make things happen here, so I'm so glad that they're they're able to make stuff work all the time.
Speaker 1: It's stunningly good what they do. All Right, we're gonna go to Gannon, who's been on the line. I know we have a few other callers. We will get you. Please hold on, Gannon. No pronouns given from California. All the comment is is crazy Jesus doom saying believer.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think our callscreener wrote this, but maybe that does describe you, Gannon?
Speaker 2: What would you like to talk about today?
Speaker 1: Would you like to talk about crazy Jesus believing doom saying mad men?
Speaker 9: It's funny. That's really funny what he said. When you see something like that.
Speaker 1: I am I'm having trouble hearing you. Can you hold your mic closer to your mouth.
Speaker 9: To you right now? Can you hear me?
Speaker 1: There we go. That's much better. So are you a doom saying madmen? Or do you want to talk about them?
Speaker 6: You don't, you know.
Speaker 9: I just wanted to share my experience. It's just like Tommy was trying to share his, and I hope Tommy is what he's searching for. I gotta tell.
Speaker 1: You, do you think quick question before you get into your story. Do you think Tommy was searching for something? Or was Tommy just trying to reaffirm his currently held beliefs. I hope that you're searching for something, and you're interested in the conversation. Tommy just wanted to just keep repeating his life. So what do you think was Tommy searching for an answer?
Speaker 9: I think he's a confused gentleman and the right elsewhere would bring him in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, go ahead for it, Cannon. What do you believe in? Why?
Speaker 9: The first thing I want to say, I'm really I'm really honored to be amongst a lawyer and somebody that's a general engineer. I think that's what you said. You guys are pretty smart, and you know I'm just a layman. I was born and raised in California, and I've worked my butt off.
Speaker 10: All my life like most laymen do.
Speaker 9: And ever since I was a child, I've been interested and I started reading this.
Speaker 1: Could you give us a statement first, and then we can get to the story if it's relevant. I asked you what you believe in why? And we've heard a preamble, So why don't you get to the point. We have a lot of callers, So what do you believe with respect to gods and why?
Speaker 12: I believe they've been right there.
Speaker 9: I believe that we've been taught traditions and and you've got to look at your history and study to see what the enemy has done.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm taking it.
Speaker 1: I'm taking it that you believe that there is a God and that there is a Satan. Is that correct?
Speaker 9: His name's not God, he is not a God. Okay the Hebrew that's the English word, and that's wrong.
Speaker 1: In fact, let's not argue about definitions. That's a losing argument, Gannon. The traditional idea that people have of a supernatural, very powerful, possibly creator of the universe is what generally people call God or whatever you want to call it. Do you believe that one of those exists?
Speaker 9: Most definitely?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Why do you believe that that thing exists?
Speaker 9: Because just the evidence alone of I believe the name is not Jesus.
Speaker 1: The name doesn't matter. I won't say it again, Scannon Gannon.
Speaker 9: You're a lawyer. You're a lawyer.
Speaker 8: The name matters.
Speaker 1: You're a lawyer. Come on, I'm a lawyer. You know what it has at the beginning of every statute and every contract has a definition section, and that definition section applies to the scope of that statute or that contract. So if I sign up a contract with godless here where he's going to sell me his car that was once owned by Elvis, and I'm going to pay him a million dollars for that car. I could at the beginning of the contract to say John, the owner of the car with the serial number x y Z that he is saying was once owned by Elvis parentheses car, or I could call it blurblop, right, But what we did is right at the beginning, we came to an understanding of what but blurblop meant or car meant. And then for the rest of that conversation, that is that contract or that statute, I'm just going to say blurblop, and we've come to an agreement on the idea. You shouting that the name or the label of the thing is important is concerning to me because I don't think you're genuinely interested in talking about why you believe. Because as soon as I asked you why you believed in this blurblop god thing, You've went off on a name argument, and that, to me in the courtroom is a sign that you don't want to talk about what I just asked you. So I'm going to ask you again. I'm going to take you off a mute and I'm going to ask you, why do you believe in this Blurblopannon?
Speaker 9: Are you with us?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So why do you believe in blurblop?
Speaker 9: What is blur block?
Speaker 1: Were you not listening to everything I just said?
Speaker 9: I was listening to your authority of the name and why the name wasn't important?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And what did I say? John's car that was owned by Elvis was it was blurblop? Just like we could call your god. The name doesn't matter. So why do you believe in blurblop?
Speaker 9: I don't believe in blur block?
Speaker 1: You don't believe in an all powerful beings?
Speaker 8: I believe it.
Speaker 12: Possibly, I believe that that God. Okay, I believe God became man, and he became pleash, and he walked the monks us.
Speaker 1: Okay, why do you believe that this god exists? That's the question I've been asking now for five minutes.
Speaker 9: Why too much archeological evidence?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 9: They found?
Speaker 1: Give us your best one they found?
Speaker 7: They?
Speaker 1: Okay, John, John, I'm gonna kick it over you. We're gonna dress the first piece of evidence, the first piece of evidence we've ever been given. When I asked for your best was they found Noah's art. What are your thoughts on that? Godless?
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, this is a ron Wyatt aim that is not accurate at all. What they found was a case of paradolia in an area that they figured to be like where Mosark might have landed, and all they saw was a rock formation that vaguely looks like the outline of what they think.
Speaker 1: In arc or FYI, you're now talking to our audience because he's hung up, but please do continue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that was really interesting. I really wanted to interact with Gannon.
Speaker 1: I did well.
Speaker 4: I mean, he says that the enemy is Satan.
Speaker 3: And so the thing that I've been doing here lately is I've been trying to provoke an instance of cognitive dissonance with some people, and that's by juxtaposing what is part of the Satanic the tenants of the Satanic temple, against what God has commanded in the Bible. And so like I'll put up things like, Okay, tell me, is this God or Satan?
Speaker 13: Uh?
Speaker 3: The fact that you can sell my father can sell their daughter into sexual slavery, like.
Speaker 4: Is that God or Satan?
Speaker 3: And they're gonna be like Ah that they could either admit that it's God, or they'll say that it's Satan. Either way, the next question is, Okay, is this God or Satan that the freedoms of others should be respected? Is that God or Satan?
Speaker 4: And you know they'll be like, oh, that sounds like God. That's great.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, that's actually a tenant, but that's tenant number four of the Satanic temple. So no, that's actually Satan, the supposed enemy. And so uh, it's just it's rather crazy this preconceived notion they have of Satan in this respect.
Speaker 4: Now, I'm not saying that Satan.
Speaker 3: Is real or anything like that, but I definitely think that the Bible doesn't exactly have like a Satan figure that is as evil as they think he is. He's just portrayed as being evil and people have just been like, yeah, he's fucking evil.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think I too. Wanted Ghannon to stay on because he finally gave us a piece of evidence, and I gannon, if you want to call back, feel free, av your phone was just conveniently disconnected the moment we started talking about one piece of evidence you gave us. If you're not calling back because you just were asked for evidence, and we're allowed to talk around that question. You're a coward. You're a coward. And you know what, I've been doing this for years, and I'm going to call Christians out on this. The Christians that are willing to call into the show and have honest conversations, I'm not talking to you. I've had a lot of great conversations with a variety of people with a variety of religious beliefs. The best conversations were where somebody was willing to answer honestly and explore down to the real point where we disagree. Because we don't really disagree on a lot. We tend to disagree down when we get down to good reasons to believe things. And we all have this little space of things that we reserve in our head that in order for me to stop believing this thing, I'm gonna need a whole bunch of momentum. I'm gonna need a whole bunch of evidence, a whole bunch of talking, years and years of exposure to counter evidence of what I previously held. It's not a just a one conversation thing, and it can be It can be religion for some people, it can be other things. I remember one of the best speeches I had that illustrates this was when Sam Harris gave a speech and he started out citing all of the stats about how bad having fireplaces in your house are for your health, like the smoke increases your cancer, it's it's bad for children, it can give them asthma, all of these things, like you can lose energy up through it. And his conclusion was we should outlaw of fireplaces.
Speaker 2: And houses in the United States.
Speaker 1: And that feeling of like, oh God, no, I like fireplaces. They keep me warm, it's cheery, especially at the holidays. I'm an atheist that likes Christmas. I you know, decorated stuff.
Speaker 4: It comes from right.
Speaker 1: I mean, all of these things. But it was a great way to demonstrate to somebody who is a non believer of hey, there's something in your head that when you're presented with evidence, you still want to reject that evidence. You want to reject that feeling. And I feel like a lot of people will get to that space, and that's an interesting place to have conversations. But when you posture like Gannon did, when you beat your chest and try to gain control of the conversation on a call in show and then run away. At the first realization that you're not going to be able to do that, I'm going to call you a coward. So call back if you want to just man up and have the conversation and truly examine why you believe things, or don't call back one of the two, because I think our listeners are bored to people who just turn tail and run. I don't know, godless on your call in shows, have you had had those sorts of moments where you had those really long, interesting conversations with somebody who is willing to admit yeah, I just kind of like it or something like that, where they it's it's my faith, right, It gets down to that point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that happens like all the time, but it just illuminates that they don't have like a good reason to believe yeah, you know, in those things.
Speaker 4: And for me at.
Speaker 3: Least, it creates this sort of instance where they start questioning their beliefs, like why they believe them, not necessarily so that they can leave their belief or anything like that. But the main thing that I want to do in all my conversations here is to provoke this sense of you know, questioning you know what I believe and why I believe it, and allowing yourself to come to your own conclusions without having other people dictate what those conclusions should be. I think that that's the biggest thing that's missing from a lot of you know.
Speaker 4: The religious community and everything.
Speaker 3: They're allowing people to tell them what to think instead of using their reasonable and rational faculties in order to come to their own conclusions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree with you.
Speaker 1: My part of my concern with religion has always been this sort of community group think combined with the possibility of covering up mental illness. You know, if somebody comes to me and says, man, the devil has been really on my ass today, they might really think that there is a devil that's been trying to eat them or pursue them, or they might be using an expression, and either way, their church will, their church community will give them cover to go undiagnosed longer or things like that. And to be clear, I think people who say religious beliefs are crazy or things like that, that's not what I'm saying. That's not true, And I will fight you on that one. I'm talking about this this like I can't tell when somebody comes to me and says I had love and I went to another place and I didn't know where it was, and nobody around me believes me. I don't know if they're high right now, if they've got mental health issues, they genuinely believe it, or they're a troll.
Speaker 2: I just don't know.
Speaker 1: So when I find those people who are willing to actually turn that eye on themselves and question it and make me turn my eye myself in question my beliefs that I think are the great conversations, maybe our next caller, Mohammed from India, he him will do that. Let's see if I can get Mohammed on the line here. Mohammed, it says you want to respond to the show theme, God is Evil? Change our minds? So do I have you right? Is that what you'd like to talk about?
Speaker 6: Yes, we will start with that, then we will discuss as we move forward in Sharlah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you what's your response to the show's theme, God is Evil?
Speaker 2: What's your response to that assertion?
Speaker 6: I think evil and good both are a relative which can be applied to human beings because God is beyond evil and good, so it is from But you are measuring good and evil. That is one of the reasons your statement.
Speaker 3: So Mohammed, if I can ask, can I ask a clarifying question real quick?
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, very discussing this, Ask whatever you want to ask.
Speaker 4: Okay, I don't know what it means to be beyond good and evil? Do you mean that God is beyond.
Speaker 3: Any kind of like moral either moral condemnation or any kind of moral analysis like is that what you mean?
Speaker 4: Or do you what do you mean by beyond good and evil?
Speaker 6: Okay, very good, very good question. Listen the philosophy. Because I am a believer, I follow Islam. So what we believe is that God is the one which created everything. So every rules in regulation is being derived from God itself sata. It will be very so it will be very logical to say to apply the same rule to regulation on God.
Speaker 1: So there's two forms of this. I want to know which camp you're in. One form of this is sort of the divine command theory, which says, if God orders you to do something or puts a rule in place, then by definition that is good. We are in no place to judge. So if God today told Abraham to kill his son and for no reason other than God said to do so. Then that, by definition is a good thing. So that's divine command theory. The other side of that coin or camp is, I'm not sure what you call this is God is in and of himself goodness, and therefore it is impossible for God to do anything that was not good. Like it's almost like he's constrained by a bigger goodness. He is the nature of goodness. So there are two sides of the same coin. Is that what you're talking about when you talk about this.
Speaker 6: God is capable of everything.
Speaker 1: See, capable of doing something that's evil.
Speaker 6: I've told you that evil and good is a relative, So is.
Speaker 1: It impossible for him to do something that's evil?
Speaker 6: These are wordplay only right now you're doing well, No, it's not.
Speaker 1: No, it's not it is true or false that God is it is possible for God to do something that's evil. If God can't do anything that's evil because evil doesn't apply to him, then it is impossible for God to do something that's evil. That would be the answer. That's all I'm trying to illustrate.
Speaker 6: No, you are just doing wordplay.
Speaker 2: It's not it's not.
Speaker 1: There is a set of things in the universe, of actions that could be taken that would we would define as evil. I'm asking, is are any of the options that God would take in that set? That is not wordplay, that's mass.
Speaker 6: I am saying very simple things. The things you are defining as evil is because those things has been described as evil by God's command. So you cannot apply this.
Speaker 1: You're not answering the question. Let me ask it a different way before I turn it over to John. Can a rock be evil? Can a rock do something that's evil?
Speaker 6: It depends upon you. What what do you mean by a rock doing evil? And what do you mean by rock doing a good?
Speaker 8: Ded? What? This?
Speaker 2: My question is very simple.
Speaker 1: It's not relative to me, unless you're telling me that moral morality is relative.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's your argument.
Speaker 1: Can a rock do something that's evil or even be evil in and of itself?
Speaker 6: Let me first put my claim.
Speaker 1: You're not answering two questions. Now you have not answered two questions, why should we keep.
Speaker 2: Talking to you?
Speaker 6: I think I've noticed a very simple pattern among all the Eightish community that you people have no arguments, and the only.
Speaker 4: We're trying to make an argument with you?
Speaker 3: So Like, for instance, Mohammed, if if a law were to somehow tell you to marry and grape a nine year old, would that be good or bad?
Speaker 6: That will be totally fine. Yes, that will be totally good because if God is commanding that to do so, that is a totally fine.
Speaker 2: Thing, because yeah, I'm dropping him.
Speaker 1: That's disgusting. I mean, you're a disgusting human being.
Speaker 3: Zero to be three too in like no time. Holy shit, that would be good. Yes, it would be good. God tells you to rape a nine year old child, that is a good thing because God told you, Like, Wow, what the fuck.
Speaker 1: That's I mean, it's divine command theory illustrated the best way I've ever heard it. I mean, this is there was a call that Tracy Harris took like fifteen years ago on this show where she spent twenty minutes walking this guy and she's the faintest one where she says, you know, the difference between your God and mine is, you know, I prevent the pedophile from raping the child. Your God says, you know, go ahead and rape, but I'm going to punish you later. And he gets the caller. I think it's the same call she gets the caller into a corner where she talks about the victim and says, you know what about the little girl or the little boy, And the caller says, well, they had to do something in their life that deserves that or something like that. And it was like mind blowing moment in me watching this, Like this guy genuinely participated in the conversation for like thirty minutes, got to this point and it was this, what you just said, Mohammed is a billion times worse than what that guy said. You should be ashamed of yourself. That's like, ugh, have you ever had anything like that? Like that's the first time I've ever heard that so blatantly on the show.
Speaker 3: Oh no, yeah, that's why I immediately went there. I was here so I've got like an entire database that I've conscripted or constructed that has like all of these arguments for the Koran, and I don't know all of them by heart yet go through them, and I was trying to look for a good one that was about genocide and just because like I didn't want to go straight to the P three d oo thing. But then you know, he was he was telling oh, you know, Adees don't have any arguments. It's like, oh, okay, well maybe we don't. Let's say that we don't in this respect. For for the moral argument, if God tells you to do this thing that's obviously horrible, is it good? And him going directly to like it's itother goes one or two ways. Either they immediately go to P three d O apologetics or they try to make some convoluted argument that she that Ayesha wasn't actually nine years old.
Speaker 4: So it was gonna go one way or another.
Speaker 3: And you know, him going directly for P three d O apologetics seems, you know, pretty much spot on.
Speaker 1: I'll give him this. He wasn't playing word games. He answered the question like that's equivalent to getting a witness on the stand and being like.
Speaker 2: Did you shoot the victim?
Speaker 1: And they go, yep, well I did, and it was fun.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 1: I did it because I hated him, and I thought about it ahead of time, and I knew it would be illegal. It's like, oh my gosh, Mohammed, I sincerely hope that you were a troll. I sincerely hope that that was a show. I somehow think it was not, and I feel very sorry for you. That you. I think you're a better person. To quote what Tracy said on that episode, I think you're a better person than your God. I think you know that that's wrong. And you have been forced and backed into a corner based on a whatever caused you to want to believe in this god, your society and doctor nation, your parents, the consequences of not believing in your current community, whatever it is that has convinced you that that's more important than basic human decency. I don't think that you think that that ever really be true, that it would be perfectly fine for a grown man to marry and sexually assault a nine year old.
Speaker 3: I think that he was serious. But yeah, one can have a positive outlook.
Speaker 2: I guess yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I that's my funny, the self examination I talk about. That's my mind trying to reconcile the cognitive dissonance I have of nobody would ever say such a thing, and then hearing somebody say it, my mind jumps to, well, it can't be can't be real. They can't sincerely believe that, could they? But you're right, that's that's me trying to be optimistic about humanity.
Speaker 3: So uh, yeah, before we take our next calm. I do want to say everybody over there on TikTok if you agree with the prompt of God being evil now, we do sincerely want you to try to change our minds. So request up. Use that request button down there to request up and talk to if you would like to try to change our mind about God being evil. We you know, Abraham, God generally is what we kind of like handle here. But if you have some kind of like diy God that you want to prove is an evil, we would love to take.
Speaker 4: That challenge on.
Speaker 3: Otherwise, if you're on other platforms, you can call in using five to one to two nine nine one nine two four two and you can interact with us. So definitely get those calls in now if you think that you can prove that God is not evil.
Speaker 2: You've got such a great voice for this.
Speaker 1: I love it. Have you been told that before? No, I haven't.
Speaker 4: Normally people hate my voice because they.
Speaker 1: People who pull victim to your argument.
Speaker 3: Well they detect a little bit of that Southern twang to it on occasion, and so they don't like it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, I like the way you handle that.
Speaker 1: You can also visit by the way ACA dot show slash call lots of ways. I think you listening at home, if you're interested in sort of exploring this space, talk of out where the United States is going on from this Christian nationalism perspective, or even if you're religious and you're appalled by where the country's going, we'd love to hear from you. I think you would do better than the first three callers, which can be summarized as basically, I was in a mental state equivalent to being on LSD for a long time, and I think everything is God or something. I think that because I heard that somebody found Noah's ark, Therefore we need to call God some other name. And there's a conspiracy theory of trying to hide it. And then finally we should as long as God says it's okay, you should be able to sexually assault nine year olds. I think that's the bar we've set so far. If you're sitting at home and you're shaking your head and doing the nose, true scotsmen of call in show listeners and going those people weren't real arguers. Those people weren't real believers. You should call in tell us you believe in why even if you even you just want to chat. Uh that said, Let's go to Joel in California. Uh, no pronouns given. He wants to talk about what they believe and why. That's the questions we ask Joel. So let's pull Joe up here. Joel, what do you believe? And more importantly, why do you believe it?
Speaker 10: On the Sorry about that.
Speaker 1: That's okay. Whoever's in the room that you had to tell you were on the air, thank them for for giving you space. So go ahead, what what do you believe in?
Speaker 8: Why I'm so excited and nervous? I'm an says I'm Christian?
Speaker 10: Okay, and uh, why do.
Speaker 8: I believe it? I guess gets straight to the point, Well, I can see the devil? Than that?
Speaker 1: Can you say you can see the devil? Do you mean literally you're having your eyes or seeing things and that is a figure that has light reflecting off of it and it's a devil?
Speaker 8: Right? Well, I'm more wouldn't say that this, you know, I've had, yeah, video and photographic evidence of what I've seen, you know, so this is not like you believe in me or whatever. I guess you have to be me at this point. But I'd like I guess unless I could send the pictures into you and talk to a later date, I guess you can take that at my word.
Speaker 2: Well I can.
Speaker 1: I'll take turn it up to John. I think we could agree. We can take you at your word that you believe you can see the devil. I'll take you at that word. Go ahead, John, Okay, yeah, But so I feel like.
Speaker 10: You do have a voice for radio.
Speaker 8: By the way, you do have a voice for radio. My mom my mom was saying, I have a face for radio, or you have a voice for radio. So you do have a very good voice for it. Okay, thank you.
Speaker 3: I probably have a face for radio too, so we sharing no, no, you don't.
Speaker 4: Uh, okay, thank you.
Speaker 3: I feel like there is a bit of a preconceived notion of, you know, the the devil in him being evil and like a preconceived notion of like demons and Satan and everything like that. So I'm just kind of curious. I know that you're working off of a Christian theology sort of perspective here out of your understanding of the Satan in Christianity.
Speaker 4: What makes him evil? Exactly?
Speaker 3: Can you like point me to like any kind of like chap book, chapter, verse, or any kind of theological aspect.
Speaker 1: Well, we should probably clarify, because all he said is you can see him, right Joel quite quickly? Do you do you think Satan's evil?
Speaker 8: I think he's evil.
Speaker 1: Okay, So John's question stands, Then why do you think he is evil?
Speaker 2: We'll get to it.
Speaker 1: Why do you think he exists? But why do you think Satan is evil? What characteristics does he have? Well?
Speaker 8: I said that. I said that in a in a questionnaary sense, meaning that I was repeating you do I think that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 10: Okay, I think that. I think that I think that.
Speaker 8: God makes all things in the good. So let's just say that, right it. I think that he is in charge of the space that allows us to have free will.
Speaker 10: And much of our free will doesn't coincide with what.
Speaker 8: God wants for us. Like I would say that like sin? Can I use that word sin? Would be like missing the mark? Right, well, missing the mark that God said we would call sin if you would call that evil. He's in charge of that space. So I'd like to I'd like to define my own terms because I don't want I don't want to have a loaded word like evil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, No, I'm a big fan of nice, As the earlier caller demonstrated, I'm a big fan of defining our own terms. The terms don't matter, the concepts do. So if I understand you, you believe that there is this space of concepts or behavior or thoughts or activity where we are not living up to God's commands slash expectations. Uh, there's a shorthand for that. We'll call it sin. And you said that Satan is in charge of that space? Is that what you said? Could you explain that? Sure?
Speaker 8: He he is that space? Really? So like he he yeah, in charge of me? Yeah, I would say, And you know that's a lot to do with where he's in locale like this earth I think is kind of where he was punished to like also in in behavior. Yeah, so because I don't think God really is in space. That's that's not true, right, And anything that's not that's sin. If not true, anything that's okay.
Speaker 1: Well, before we move on to God, I think John had asked the original question, John, if you want to jump on this of what characteristics? Did did Joel asked? Answer that question? He's evil because he's in charge of this of sin or he's he is sin?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Would that? Would that be accurate? Like the devil is evil?
Speaker 8: He allownts to the space for free will mean that we could go like if there was like a zero point, you know, and then there was positive and negative, I would say he would be in the negative part of the dark part. You could say the part, Well, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's more of you just classifying him as evil and not him actually doing anything that is evil. Right, So is there anything that Satan actively does that makes him evil?
Speaker 1: Well, let's let's let's let's clarify. I'm gonna I'm gonna ask that question with a Joel Everything Joel Joel hold on. No, No, there's a there's cross talk.
Speaker 2: Sometimes.
Speaker 1: I want to agree with that question, but I also want to layer it above a presumption I think we're making. Do you agree that things are not good or evil actions are? And then assuming that yes, you agree that actions are the things that are evil, then we get to John's question of Okay, what actions has Satan take and that are evil?
Speaker 8: I'll go with you on behaviors are evil. I got to say that I do think that jergies can inhabit things and in that sense. I think things could be evil, but it's not the things themselves. Really, it's kind of our language really doesn't really work with a lot of this stuff. But I'll go with you with behavior for now.
Speaker 10: That that's fine.
Speaker 1: Okay, So John's question stands. It is what has Satan done that demonstrates he is quote unquote evil? Or what things had he done that different?
Speaker 8: If he defied God? Right? So he decided God he basically.
Speaker 2: So not doing what God tells you to do is evil?
Speaker 8: Well, not doing what God told him to do, which was.
Speaker 1: So some people can defy God and not be evil, but that.
Speaker 8: Was his fall from grace.
Speaker 10: Right, we're talking about let's.
Speaker 1: Get away from that story. You said he defied God. That's what was. Something that he did was evil. And I'm asking, okay, so anybody that defies God that would be evil? Right or wrong? Is that correct?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 7: Right or wrong?
Speaker 10: Well there's someone that, Yes, there's someone that lies.
Speaker 8: Are they a liar?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 10: Let me every other time?
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's what we call it, thetology, That's what I.
Speaker 8: Call it, the doing to me? Right, that's what you're doing.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not unless you're unless you're smuggling in the argument that says, anything God tells you to do is by definition good? Is that your assertion?
Speaker 8: It's no, you just said to me, there's some may does something that God doesn't want. Are they evil?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 8: If they do one bad thing, are they evil? And I'm saying that's the same thing and saying if you lie one time, are you a liar? It's exactly the same thing, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So answer the question.
Speaker 8: So if if some may does something God one time, are they evil?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 8: They didn't evil? Sing?
Speaker 1: And yeah, right, I agree with that entirely.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's a guy named Ray Comfort, an Australian preacher who used to do this on the street. He'd walk up and say do you think you're a good person? And they say yes, and then he say have you ever lied? Have you ever cheated? Have you ever stolen anything? Oh? So you think you're a good person, you're obviously not. You need God? That was the argument. So I'm just sort of turning that around on you and on Satan. So Stayton, did this evil thing that you think is an evil thing? Does that make him an evil person or an entity? Or did he just do an evil thing?
Speaker 8: He didn't evil thing and choosing evil person. So John, you want to re ask your question though, No, wait, wait a minute, Wait a minute, I understand. I'm not I'm not as as silly.
Speaker 10: As some of the callers.
Speaker 8: I was just saying, you know, you're trying to you know, pinpoint, it is the behavior is the evil things. So he didn't evil think is the evil? And then I'm saying, well, well, knowing is, so they're both can be true, right, he here can be an evil thing and the evil that's true. Would you agree to that?
Speaker 1: I don't understand what it means for a person or a thing to be evil.
Speaker 2: That's the part I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you understand that, Josh evil John, hold on, hold on, you've been talking. Let John asked the original question. I want to get back to him. I don't understand what it means for a person to be evil. In fact, I don't even really understand the term evil. I understand moral good and moral bad. But go ahead, Uh, let's let Godless finish his line.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, I mean it's far like I feel like, if you're proclaiming somebody to be bad or evil in this instance, you're making a claim that their their general behavior is to be that way to where you could generalize you know, their behavior is like you know, that's what you expect that of that person.
Speaker 8: Right then all then all people would be evil, though, I mean, you know, and all people would be good.
Speaker 1: I've not met a single person hasn't done at least a few good things in their life.
Speaker 8: True, but there's a very good argument. And none of those things were done for the sake of doing them. You know, they're done for the sake of making themselves still better at the very least.
Speaker 1: But that's that's an iron ran philosophy. We could get into that.
Speaker 8: But so I don't think we should God to be good?
Speaker 4: Well, well, Joe, I do.
Speaker 3: I do want to try to stress test your your your your criteria for some action being evil.
Speaker 8: You don't have to find evil. Aren't you supposed to define evil?
Speaker 10: When you asked me the question, you said you have to be the question, can you find evil?
Speaker 1: No, none of us have defined question. But you you said that he that God is naughty, So why don't you define it?
Speaker 2: You mean by evil?
Speaker 8: Let's let's start over. You ask me the original question. Let's start with that and I'll get. I'm going to be as direct as I can with you. Can you ask me the question and define your terms and then I'll go from there.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry, that's no problem. Call No. Say you want to talk about what they believe and why? And I asked you, what do you want to what do you believe in?
Speaker 4: And you.
Speaker 8: Ask me a question? God has asked me a question. He said what and you want me to answer you?
Speaker 1: You asserted that that Satan was evil? And he said, what demonstrates that he's evil?
Speaker 2: Basically?
Speaker 10: No, I'm sorry. The original question was do you think that Satan is evil?
Speaker 8: Is that right? Do you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: That is evil? Okay? Now can you define your terms?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 2: I don't know if John can't go ahead.
Speaker 8: You cannot? You can?
Speaker 1: Okay, So you just how how for.
Speaker 3: The purposes of this conversation, I would define evil as being something that's so tremendously bad there is no context or no extenuating circumstances that can rescue the action. It is considered bad, regardless of any context that could be proposed as to redeem it. So it's like something it's beyond the pale, something that is so horrible in action like the previous caller Muhammad.
Speaker 8: Fine, that's perfect, that's perfect. Now ask the question for the callers.
Speaker 3: Okay, what action? What action did Satan do that makes him evil?
Speaker 8: I thought the first question. Would you think he's evil in that? In that? In that regard? Do I think that Satan is evil? I would say no, And you're by the way you define evil. I would say no, because I could make all things good.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, So why do you believe that there is a God?
Speaker 8: All right? Can you define God?
Speaker 2: Do you believe that there is a God?
Speaker 8: Can you define God for me?
Speaker 1: Do you believe that there is a supernatural being of any sort that any person on this planet would reasonably call God?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, Why do you believe? What do you believe in that aspect? And why? Let's start with what you believe.
Speaker 8: I'm a Christian, so I believe that I believe in Jesus, that is our savior, and pretty much pretty much the Bible, you know, as as it's written, with exception or some things, for the most part of the Bible. That's why I believe it. Why do I believe it? Well, I asked that a long time ago. You know, it's always a kind of an amateur. By the way, I've always been really scared to call into yourself. You're doing great, you guys are you guys are spectacular people, honestly, and I really thank you for what you do because you do give honest space for people to come in and explain, you know, why they believe what they believe, which Christians are supposed to be able to do. So thank you very much for that, and I do appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that, and I do like the fact that you are answering and you're thinking about your answers and or willing to say, well, wait a second, we need to define that first. That's a real conversation because we're not here to do gotcha's or create clips. We're here to have a conversation. So you're a Christian. There's variations on Christianity, you know, ten thousand different sects and all that, but we'll just say Christian. You believe either that work surf of faith will get you into heaven and that there's a God and God is related to good and evil in the ways that you've talked about. Why do you believe that?
Speaker 8: Okay, So I asked that probably when I was in my early teens. You know, if you're a real Oion, you don't show me like this because it's kind of hard to believe some of the stuff that is that you're saying, you're claiming basically speaking to him. And it wasn't until a couple of years ago that he gave me the answer. Based on my lifestyle that I was living, I guess the answer was to be saying, and so I'm able to.
Speaker 1: How did you receive this answer? I didn't quite audibly hear you. What was the answer and how did you receive it?
Speaker 8: Well, the answer was he showed me Satan. He let me see Satan. So that was his way of saying that he's real, because I know that he's the opposite or something, you know, And so for me from my own experience, right, because you know, why do you believe it? It's always a personal experience. If you had an experience where though you've been on the show all this time, you had an experience tonight that you thought was God, and then you have to come back and explain why you think that there's a God and you say, well, I have this experience, Well, then they'd have at you, right, they'd rep you to pieces based on that because you know it's not provable or whatever. But I don't think that God's something that's so much provable as a personal thing. Right, that's his connectedness to everybody, just the beauty of it.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, So, Joe, you say that you were you had this experience with God where you were your actions or how you were being was condemned by God, and compare and and he showed you Satan, as I guess, an embodiment of evil.
Speaker 4: That's what I kind of took away from that. Am I on the mark?
Speaker 8: With that? You're you're on the mark and He's not what you'd expect at all.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm going to go back to that other question. I think that's right. John. We asked you at the top of the show, just to clarify. Do you visually see him like you'd see a cup of water in front of you or a person standing on the corner or are we talking about other some other meaning of the words not at all.
Speaker 8: Great question. It's very hard to explain because I've never experienced it before and there's not a lot to compare it to. Right, So I'm going to do my best. But it's more if I would say, you know, it's almost like another realm. Right, it's really hard to explain that the stuff that you're wanting to you're wanting to me to answer for like a cup of water, it's an object. Definitely not that. Definitely not a thing, right, Definitely not a thing. If you know thing, definitely not right. He's like the spirit and spirit. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna list off the five hold on, hold on, we're gonna We're gonna jump in real quickly. I'm gonna list off the five senses that human beings have. These are methods that we have to detecting things around us, the only way we know to do this. We have sight, we have hearing, we have taste, we have smell, and we have touch. I'm gonna ask you for in a g loop. Can I can I see Satan? Can I hear Satan? Can I taste Satan? Can I smell touch Satan? Can I touch Satan? If I'm in your your place, are any of those applicable? Or are you detecting Satan through some other means other than those five senses?
Speaker 8: I would say site is the closest, the closest one that.
Speaker 1: I would say, it's close, but it's not the same because you wouldn't see it like a see a guy on the corner or you see my mother.
Speaker 8: It's not a thing. It's not a thing.
Speaker 1: So do you use your eyes when you see Satan? Are you seeing it some other webs?
Speaker 8: I can close my eyes and seam.
Speaker 2: Isn't that a warning sign?
Speaker 8: I can close my eyes and Sam I can open.
Speaker 2: Isn't that a warning sign?
Speaker 8: A warning sign of what?
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 1: What would you say to anybody else who came to you and said you should believe that this exists because when I close my eyes, I see it.
Speaker 8: I didn't say that. I didn't say that.
Speaker 1: I not asked the saying that you did. I would say, what would you say to somebody who said that?
Speaker 8: I would say that you should check yourself, because number one, you might be seeing things that are not there, and number two, you shouldn't ask anybody to believe things based on your experience.
Speaker 1: I agree with that, and you haven't asked us to do that, And I'm not accusing you of that. I just wanted to get to you where you were there so you can put yourself in our shoes. Godless, I think I don't want to speak for you, but when I hear I can see him when I close my eyes, that to me sort of raises red flags.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Godless?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it does definitely raise a bit bit of red flags, because I mean I take it to mean that you are actively being fed a vision of Him is as opposed to just remembering like some kind of dream or other state that you were you were in.
Speaker 4: Is that correct?
Speaker 8: That's correct? And I wouldn't say that, I mean said in the sense that I mean, yeah, said is fine. But I feel like I agreed to this before I was born, right, But I guess it doesn't really matter. So said city is fine?
Speaker 1: Fine?
Speaker 4: Okay, So that's that's fine. Now.
Speaker 3: The thing that I was kind of wanting to harp on here is the whole idea of you being shown Satan and being shown something that's opposite to God, which is uh, and correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. I'm trying to steal man your position on it. You were own a vision of Satan so that you know, God could show you, oh you know this is this is the evil this is the opposite of me.
Speaker 4: Am I am I on am I on the right path.
Speaker 8: I think that's why. I just know that I can see him. I don't can answer Anthony, I don't know right, I just know that I can see him, and I guess and seeing him meaning that this. I just want to add one more thing to this about my experience about it. I can see him. I can ask him any question I want, right, and I can He will answer right.
Speaker 2: Doesn't do you ask him vocally?
Speaker 8: I this was the mind blowing part when I realized that you can.
Speaker 10: I can ask him in my mind about talking and oh I.
Speaker 8: Don't answer me in the same way, and just on Q just.
Speaker 1: Just I think that should be mind blowing because that's very abnormal, isn't it.
Speaker 8: It is? It is extremely abnormal.
Speaker 3: Can I propose a well, Joel, can I propose a hypothe article for you? And you tell me if this is satan activity like evil activity, or if it's holly good activity. Can we can we run this exercise real quick?
Speaker 8: Yeah? I'll try.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, So, uh, let's say that you're a you're a soldier in the US Army or or any any army out there. Let's say you're a soldier and you're in a foreign country and uh, you you go into a city and you utterly destroy it. You unlive everybody in the city.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: But amongst those inhabitants that you haven't unalived, you notice a beautiful woman. And so you decide that you're gonna forcefully take that beautiful woman, and you're gonna bring her back home, and you're gonna you're gonna keep her in your house for a month, and and at that point you're then going to marry her, whether.
Speaker 4: She wants you to or not. Now, would you consider that to be godly things?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 3: Is that something that God would command or is that something that you you think would be inspired by Satan?
Speaker 8: I would think that that's a thing that has probably written in a Bible in some way. And I think that if I were to do it in these days, that it would be from Satan.
Speaker 1: I want to key in on a phrase you just said. Did you just say if I were to do it these days?
Speaker 8: Yeah, if I were to do it these days, like you know.
Speaker 1: If you had done it two thousand years ago, would it be morally Okay?
Speaker 8: Well, that's a that's a hard question.
Speaker 1: No, it's not, but go ahead, go pull that thread.
Speaker 8: Oh well, I think you're using it the time, the times that we're in now to judge other times.
Speaker 1: So morality is relative to the time you're in. The things that work. That are some things that are bad now We're okay, just because years.
Speaker 8: What well, things that are done now will be considered archaic a thousand years from now, right.
Speaker 2: Some won't, some won't.
Speaker 8: Right, and some will.
Speaker 1: We already we have already learned as what species, what kind of hold on? Hold on, Joel, We've given you a lot.
Speaker 2: Of room, let me go.
Speaker 8: So it's a fair question.
Speaker 1: It is a fair question because I'm going to propose an answer here, so let me get to it. Right. So I agree with you that some of the things we do now will probably be viewed as immoral in the future. And I hope you agree with me that some things that were done two thousand years ago or five thousand years ago when we had the Old Testament were immoral then and immoral now, and we are considering them immoral now. There's multiple explanations for why that's true, and multiple definitional things that explain that. And that's where the conversation is, so I'm not trying to shut you off and just trying to get to that point. Either things are moral or immoral, and we as a species learn about morality as we grow up as human beings and more and more things we recognize as bad or good, so our view gets more nuanced and subtle and advances. Or we're just creatures of fashion. Whatever is fashionably okay to murder, then it's okay to murder. And it is not just we think it's okay to murder, it is actually okay to murder. If many people think that it's okay, I'm arguing that it's the former that it was always wrong morally, no matter if people. It's kind of like saying everybody used to believe the Earth was flat, therefore the Earth was flat. That's not my argument. My argument is everybody used to think that the Earth was flat. I'm going to mute you, Joel, if you won't let me finish this explanation. You've been a great caller. Just listen to me. Okay, this is a great analogy that just wrung in my head. Everybody used to think the Earth was flat. Does that mean that the Earth was flat? Or does that mean everybody was wrong? Everybody is wrong. Everybody used to think that slavery and raping women was okay. Does that mean that it was okay? Or does it mean that everybody was wrong? Do you get my point?
Speaker 8: I do I get you?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So Godless's question you sort of caught onto it of Is that more satan like or is that more god like?
Speaker 2: You said, I bet that's something that was.
Speaker 1: Written in the Bible that if I did it nowadays would be wrong. Would you like to amend that? Would it have been wrong two thousand years ago if you did it?
Speaker 9: No, I don't.
Speaker 8: I don't want to amend that.
Speaker 1: So it would have been morally okay to take a prisoner of war and sexually assault her and force her into America against her will.
Speaker 8: No, I don't think that that's okay. That's that's obviously the answer that that's only going to be excited.
Speaker 1: So that would have been moral immoral two thousand years ago as well? Correct?
Speaker 10: That would have been immoral two thousand years ago?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, go ahead, John, Sorry, Well, I was just gonna ask because that is something that God commanded.
Speaker 3: Deuteronomy twenty one, twenty one ten to fourteen. That's part of God's commandments, that is to guide them. And it's the same commandments that's affirmed by Jesus in Matthew five seventeen to nineteen, for which there is a repetitive thing in Luke as well.
Speaker 4: So it's done twice in the gospels.
Speaker 3: That reaffirms these Old Testament laws that are given by God to Moses, as was the other people in there. And so given that God is the one that issued these, that's the mark that God. Playing back on to the beginning of our conversation, that's the mark that God has set right. So by not doing that in war that God has commanded, this is the behavior that God has commanded has allowed you to do. So by not doing that in war, it seems to me like you would have to say that your committee an evil action by not adhering to that mark that God has given.
Speaker 4: Would that be correct?
Speaker 8: No, that wouldn't be correct. That wouldn't be cursed at all. Because this is a problem with taking one era and and moving it and applying it to another era.
Speaker 4: Is God constrained by cultural norms?
Speaker 8: Do I have any time to talk?
Speaker 1: Have given you so much time to talk. We have given you so, we gave you compliments on how great you were, We've given you time to talk. This is a back and forth and if you say something when we need clarifications, we as the hosts, are going to ask for clarifications. So please answer John's question.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, Joe, So just just to give you a little bit more information, I'll give you your time to to respond to this, and I promise you. But see what it's coming across to me is you're saying that God either changes or God is compressed or constrained. Sorry, God is constrained by the culture that he is talking to. So like he like his commands are not meant for all the time, which is actually contradictory to what the Bible says, because the Bible says that God's law is a perfect law meant for forever. Uh that's somewhere in Psalms. But God says that, right, And so it seems to me like what you're saying is that God is constrained by the culture that he is either speaking to or the culture that exists at the time. That seems to be a violation of his omnipotence. Is all powerful nature and if God is constrained by that, then it seems like God is somehow driven by human need at least the laws.
Speaker 8: Of God, because God because are really good. No, No, God's not constrained at all. We're limited. We're limited on what we can and what God can apply to us at any given time, and we grow hopefully. But I got to say, going back to what you say that you guys give these two options. And I was saying or, and you kept going.
Speaker 2: And you said you give us the third option.
Speaker 8: Well, in this example way, we get worse. We don't get better.
Speaker 1: We don't absolutely we might get worse. Are you So that begs the question.
Speaker 8: I want to I want that to be one example. Okay, an Joel, you don't get offended, Joel.
Speaker 1: I'm not offended. I'm following up. I just agreed with you. You're right, we could get worse. We could move into the future, learn more about morality, learn more about suffering, and realize, you know what, it's great to rate people it is morally Okay, we could get worse. Right, No, I'm supporting you. I am saying we could do that right as a people. Right, So do you agree that what we think at any given time is not directly related to some constant truth. Do you agree that what we think about the Earth being round or flat does not affect whether or not the Earth is round or flat?
Speaker 2: That's my question.
Speaker 8: I think that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So what we think about morality today, you are arguing, and I would agree with you, does not necessarily have any effect on as to whether or not something is actually good or bad, or whether or not there's even an actual objective good or bad at all in the universe. Right, what we think about it is irrelevant, right.
Speaker 10: Yes, I was okay to say, I would say that's true.
Speaker 8: I would. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then how can you know anything about the nature of God or Satan and goodness and evil?
Speaker 8: And how could any one person know?
Speaker 2: That's my question?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, okay, Well I believe that I believe that, you know, he I believe that He put it into our hearts pretty much, you know.
Speaker 2: And but couldn't it be Satan deceiving?
Speaker 8: You be sinding deceiving? Yeah, it could be. I think he at text more of than mind, you know. But being when spending time with Jesus is like no anyone right, So, like, you know, God says to put him first, right, and like pretty much like that's it, you know, like that's it.
Speaker 1: And I don't who said to put him first any.
Speaker 10: I think I think the Bible says to put God first.
Speaker 2: And how do you know that that is true?
Speaker 8: How do I know that that is true, that it said it, or how I know that it's true that he wants it, or how do I know that it's true?
Speaker 1: So you're saying I believe if I want to paraphrase, I don't want to.
Speaker 2: Put words in your mouth.
Speaker 8: It's definitely true.
Speaker 1: That's so true. So let's back up to that. Let's get to the final question of the show, like the big question, which is why do you believe there's a God?
Speaker 8: Well, because I've seen Satan.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that would lead me to believe in Satan, right, not necessarily God?
Speaker 8: Yeah, well not me because like that meant fipping to me, right, This is this goes back to the personal experience He showed me, right, showing you would mean so enough, Like if I were to ask you the question, if I were to ask you a question, what would be evidence for God?
Speaker 1: For you?
Speaker 8: You probably wouldn't answer that. What would be with evidence for you? Sure? Answer that. Please tell everybody, tell the world. What would be evidence to you if there's a God.
Speaker 1: Well, if we're assuming the Christian God, the evidence would be probably I don't know, because God is so mysterious. No one can know God's ways, but God would know, so he would give me that evidence. Whatever that was. God would be powerful enough if he wanted to the question to me, it's an honest answer. Are you going to say I'm lying like I really don't know. I don't know. Give me a scenario. Give me a scenario where you think I should take that evidence as proof of not only a God, but the Christian God of the Bible.
Speaker 8: That's not evidence for that.
Speaker 1: I asked you a question. Could you please give me a scenario that you think I should accept as evidence that the God of the Bible is true?
Speaker 8: No, no, I couldn't because you can't even give me a scenariosing me of lying. Oh, you're excusing me of lying. Wait a minute, I'm going to meet.
Speaker 1: You and explain this, because you like reacting more than you like answering. At this point, you're accusing me of lying when I honestly say I don't know. What would convince me that there's a God. I've thought about this a lot. I've thought about this for thirty years. I've had that conversation what would convince you dozens if not hundreds of times. And the honest answer is, I don't know. But I'm not the one claiming there's a God or there's not a God. Other people tell me things, and I am convinced or not convinced of their claims based on the evidence they present. To date, I haven't been convinced that there's a God. I haven't had any experiences that people who call in and say I had this personal experience that's proved for me, but not for you. I haven't had one of those experiences.
Speaker 2: In my youth.
Speaker 1: I did try to pray to a God and genuinely give myself to God when I was an Episcopalian school. That didn't work. So I really don't know what the evidence was. But I'm pretty sure that the God that most Christians believe in would believe that their God is powerful enough to convince me if they wanted to, And they are probably pretty sure that most Christians would believe that a genuine person who sincerely has tried to figure this all out and just hasn't been convinced is not doing anything wrong. Do you disagree with any of that? No, okay, I don't know. John, Have you had a similar trial and error test?
Speaker 8: Though that wasn't cool? I never said you that.
Speaker 2: You rewind the tape. We'll move past it.
Speaker 3: I do know that if God does exist, he would be the one to know that you know what would convince me? So like, well, I don't know exactly what would convince me other than you know, just empirical evidence that leaves no uh no other reasonable explanation other than a supernatural wizard that really cares about you know, everything I do in my alone time. I feel like that God, if he is omniscient, he would definitely know what would convince me.
Speaker 4: And I just have not been convinced yet.
Speaker 8: And so right, And do you think that the callers do you think that the colors that you say, you show evidence after evidence after evidence and they still deny it.
Speaker 10: You put you know so much anti you.
Speaker 8: Know evidence to say, and they still don't believe it. Do you think that that could be what you're doing?
Speaker 10: Possibly?
Speaker 8: It's like, for instance, well, I.
Speaker 1: Don't understand the question. Honestly, I don't what you just said? Well, did you repeat it and explain it to me again?
Speaker 8: Sure? Sure? Do you think that you're doing what you accuse the callers of doing when you apply what you call anti evidence to their claim?
Speaker 1: Or I don't call anything anti evidence? Okay, come on, I don't. That's not a word in that I've ever heard of in my life.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So what I do is I ask questions. Somebody calls up and makes a claim, and I ask questions, right, how did this happen?
Speaker 2: What does this happen? What's you're reasoning?
Speaker 1: Then I try to see if there's any logical fallacies in their reasoning or their methodology. And if there are logical fallacies, then I point them out and say, this seems to be a logical fallacy, or there seems to be insufficient evidence to convince you that this is true.
Speaker 2: Why are you convinced? That's the conversation?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 8: Right? And no matter how much evidence you give against their claim, right, that, they still will refuse to believe that you're saying it takes years, I think you were saying earlier, it takes years for people sometimes to convert to atheism or whatever it is, or to convert their beliefs.
Speaker 3: But I mean, I feel like what we do is we appeal to basic laws in order to convince people away from bad arguments, and we don't have any preconceived notion as to whether or not they're just gonna up and leave their faith, where we just hope to present good answer arguments.
Speaker 1: And we do the same methodology on Truth Wanted. I've been on Truth Wanted, and we'll take calls about Bigfoot and Crystal's healing people and UFOs.
Speaker 2: It's not just God claims.
Speaker 1: We're all about a methodology and hearing about people's reasons and so we can like, hey, is there anything out there that is convincing? So it's not unique to God. It's just a good way of living. I want to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible, because if I believe false things are true, I can harm myself for others.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense?
Speaker 8: It does make sense. It doesn't make sense. It seems to me the like you know you're taking this claim the default. The default is that there's no God, right.
Speaker 1: The default is that the person making the claim has the burden of proof to establish it, just like in the courtroom where we think something's really important, we put the duty on the prosecutor. We don't just assume you're guilty because the neighborhood says you're guilty. We want people to come to court and present evidence. That's that's how humans have determined is the best way not to get scammed or tricked or do something wrong to somebody. Don't you want evidence of something before you believe it.
Speaker 10: Yes, yes, but I think it's the evidence.
Speaker 8: Yes, I do think that that's true. But some people look at the world as evidence, right, Like you're saying, like, you know, I hate to use this one because it's so it's so badly used.
Speaker 1: But you know, the fact that I know where you're going, Joe, go ahead say it.
Speaker 8: The fact that the fact that the world that we shouldn't be here, basically that the world is so rare that you know, blah blah blah, all these things that need to happen. Okay, And you say, well, that's not evidence, that's just you.
Speaker 1: Know, I would disagree, and I can I point out that you're putting words in my mouth a little bit. Okay, So I'm coming at it from a technical definition of evidence. So under the law, evidence is any fact or piece of material or whatever that would make a claim more or less likely true or false in any degree. So I might go to trial and I might say I want to, you know, hey, what's your hobby, witness, And they might say I'm a tennis player, and the opposing person says, I object, there's no reason that the person's hobby has any relevance on his bank fraud scheme. And I might say, well, you know, there's a statistical probability that people who are in nightclubs or excuse me, who are in tennis clubs and have to pay those fees are going to be slightly harder to earn money because it's expensive to be these clubs. So it's more likely to go to motive a little bit, that he might have more motive to rob the bank or do the embezzling or whatever. It is evidence, it's just not sufficient evidence, right, So I think almost anything is evidence, and I think that word gets used incorrectly. That's why I always use the phrase sufficient evidence.
Speaker 8: So like a painting, the painting like, that's not sufficient evidence of somebody painting? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 1: I think a painting is combined with the fact that I've seen paintings before. I've seen people painting paintings. I've seen myself. I have tried painting. I've seen paint supply stores. I've seen all of these things. I've gone to museums and seeing paintings. I've seen people who told me the history of the paints. I've seen people frame paintings and unframed paintings. I've got a mountain of evidence that establishes that paintings exist.
Speaker 10: And as none of that was true.
Speaker 8: If none of that was true.
Speaker 1: Right, you found a rock right on a beach, a rock on a beach, right.
Speaker 8: No, they just found a painting. Come on, this is just a great point. I found a painting, right, and none of what you said it was true. You didn't know what a painting was. You didn't call it a painting. Would you say that somebody did that or did you would you say that it just happened to be like that?
Speaker 2: We don't know. The answer is I don't know.
Speaker 1: If I've never seen a painting, the concept of painting doesn't exist in the world, and we're we're all cave man, and I have no idea what it is. I might think it's a lunch.
Speaker 8: I feel like that's the earth. You might so thin, you might think this may did it. I feel like that's what the earth is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Joe Joel, listen what we have natural explanations for how the earth could form the way that it did. And this is analogous to the painting. Hold on, we know lege you talk. This is analogous to the painting thing because we have a natural explanation for the painting. Somebody had to paint it, A sentient being had to have been there to do the painting.
Speaker 1: Maybe ninety nine that happening by chance is impossible. Won't You won't here and say it's point one? Unlike some other people.
Speaker 8: I believe the point so I believe the burden of proof is on the point one, not the ninety nine point nine nine.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, but you're ignoring the evidence. I just went through a whole thing of evidence that makes sit a point one, And then you said, well, what if none of that evidence existed? What would happen? And I said, well, if I'm a caveman I've never seen a painting before, I might think it's lunch, just like animals when we put a mirror in the jungle. You've maybe seen these videos where people go put mirrors in jungles and these animals have never seen them before. They don't know what the fuck they are. They think they're seeing another cat. I said that, so I don't think we can put ourselves into the mindset of a world where we've never seen paintings. That's why I asked, what about a rock on a beach?
Speaker 8: I said that for effect, though, right, because we do know how That's why we said it's rare, because we do know about all these things, right. We do know that there's a frame of the frame, and the paint store and all this stuff. That's all the stuff that goes along with making it rare. Right, That's why we called it a rarity, right, because we know all.
Speaker 1: I'm sure what is rareness, And like paintings are very common. I'm confirmed you knew it.
Speaker 10: You knew that you knew where I was talking about.
Speaker 8: Comparing this to the earth, right that we're very very.
Speaker 1: Yes, got it? Okay, So to John's point, to John's point, if you go and study the literature, I think this is what you're making John. We have the painters, the painting, the art supply store, the canvases. We have that much evidence taking us all the way back to the Big Bang as to how this all happened. We know this, We have an answer and it doesn't involve God. Is that what you were saying, John.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't have a need for God to explain those things. So like, well, it's it's the possibility, which.
Speaker 1: Is what.
Speaker 8: Jump from there? How did that jump from that? I'm so sorry, but how did that jump from there? Are all the viewers that assume that that's true? How did that jump from that to that?
Speaker 1: You are you asserting that we don't have well established evidence as to what happened after the Big Bang till now?
Speaker 8: I you do agree to that?
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's what I'm saying. That's the that's the the evidence we have. It's not just we don't just look at the Earth and go, oh, a miracle, have no idea how this happened. We have tons of evidence as to how the Earth was formed.
Speaker 3: Right, So, Joel, what we've observed, what we've observed outside of of our Earth, you know, through astronomy and other sciences, is that giant gas clouds will collapse when they are hit by a shockwave from a collapsing star. And when these gas clouds, these huge glass gas clouds collapse, they eventually collect and using static forces, the particles will clump together in localized areas, and those clumps will get bigger and bigger and bigger until gravity takes over. And then and then gravity takes over and still collapse all these debris and dust. Now, once this giant gas cloud, there's trillions and trillions of tons of particles eventually coalaced one into a star that forms due to large gravitational forces that causes fusion to happen, and that this light and everything like that. The remaining dust particles around that star that start to coalesce into planets, and planets are a certain amount of distance away from that star that are in what's called the Goldie Log zone form and uh, they can form atmospheres, they can form in different kinds of ways that then progress into larger and larger planets then can sol.
Speaker 8: And holding all this and I understand and holding all this energy together is what.
Speaker 1: Gravity, small and strong nuclear forces, electromagnetic for I think all of those things.
Speaker 4: All right, Doctor Joel, Please tell me what's correct? Is it God?
Speaker 1: Is it the first?
Speaker 8: The first say that you don't know? Right?
Speaker 4: Do you know? But so are you?
Speaker 1: Are you literally asking what is holding particles together inside of planet dark?
Speaker 2: Because that's what we're talking.
Speaker 10: Understand you understand dark energy.
Speaker 1: I understand dark energy? Yes, okay, I mean I understand it as in I know what it is, but I don't think anybody on the planet understands it to the point of similar understanding of how to make a bicycle.
Speaker 8: I think you're right. I think you're right. I think there's a lot that we don't understand. And it doesn't mean that there's a god. Doesn't mean that there's a god. That's not evidenced directly if there's a god. But what I'm saying is that there's lots that we're going to be figuring right out, and I don't understand how that has anything to do with their being or not being a god.
Speaker 1: You were the one who said, look at the earth, dude.
Speaker 4: You you gave the look at the trees argument.
Speaker 1: Come on, all right, So you have been a lot.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you. Guys, thank you for calling. Do you have other colleagues to get to but that's a good note.
Speaker 9: It's not as funny as you think.
Speaker 8: It's not as funny as you think.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, call back again.
Speaker 8: Bye bye, all right, thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, I don't know what any of this has.
Speaker 1: To do with God.
Speaker 3: I thought that was a pretty funny thing, like I'm pretty comedic.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: I didn't really understood the whole, the whole idea that God is necessary for physical processes to happen.
Speaker 1: Again, I don't know that that's what he's making I think I think him asking what's holding that all together? He was speaking figuratively, and uh, he was hinting at he was looking for an I don't know, Like I readily admit, I don't think anybody understands everything about dark matter. We still don't have a unified theory of physics as far as the four forces go. There's a lot we don't know. But that doesn't mean God exists. We we used to think the Earth was flat. Now we know a bill jillion times more so we've it's really a God of the gaps argument. We don't know this therefore God. I think that's where he was going. I don't know what were your thoughts.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I feel like that's incredibly Uh, my camera has apparently decided to die real quick.
Speaker 1: It's okay, it's a permanent kind of eye roll.
Speaker 4: But I think that I'm trying to fix it problem.
Speaker 3: I think that what he was where he was going to know, where he was going to go with it was simply that you know, God is necessary to hold things together and everything like that.
Speaker 4: And I'm not exactly sure why my camera has.
Speaker 1: Well, while you're fiddling with that, I'm going to jump on. We have a few more calls where near the end of time, I do want to get them on. They've been patiently waiting, So I'm going to jump to Will no pronouns given from Canada wants to address the chat question for the week, which was God's Evil Change our Minds?
Speaker 2: Sort of provocative prompt, Will do I have you right?
Speaker 1: You want to talk about whether or not there is a God and whether or not that God is evil? Yeah, okay, what's up with you? What do you believe? Why do you believe it? And what does that have to do with an evil God?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 14: I probably like it's about all the things of God, right, But I would consider myself a Catholic heretic, and I came to God like in nineteen.
Speaker 7: But it's kind of personal. I don't really like to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, you said you wanted to address the chat question, and the chat question was God is evil? Changed our mind? So change our mind? Why which God are you talking about? And why is that God not evil?
Speaker 7: Which God that I'm talking about?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 7: First, the I would say, like the train turing God, the train.
Speaker 1: Team, the one depicted in the Bible, specifically, possibly the Catholic version of the Bible generally, Yeah is that God?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, God?
Speaker 7: Just Christ, God, whisper Godfather understood?
Speaker 2: Okay, why is that God not evil?
Speaker 7: I would say, it is misunderstood?
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, let me can I test that real quick?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: So there's a passage in Exodus where it stipulates that a father can sell their daughter into sexual slavery, and you seem to think that I'm just misunderstanding that, and I'm just wondering, can you clarify that.
Speaker 1: One for me?
Speaker 7: It is said that is it?
Speaker 8: Is it?
Speaker 7: It's a commandment directly from God. Yes, I think you talked about it earlier, but like my point of view on this is like God is working with people with the times that they're in.
Speaker 1: God's meeting people where they are. God is a political gradualist, right.
Speaker 7: What is a political gradualist?
Speaker 1: God? A political gradualist is somebody who realizes they can't get what needs to be done done right away because they got to deal with people and make deals and sort of eventually, if we position ourselves and everything right, eventually we'll get this country or this state or this county to where it needs to be. But I can't come in and just dictate things or otherwise the people will revolt.
Speaker 2: Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 7: Some kind of right?
Speaker 1: But like, so, why did God say no gay sex and you can't eat shrimp as just absolute laws? Shrimp was very popular. Why did he come in and say can't do that absolute no gradualism there. But when he says you can sell your daughter into sexual slavery, that was because he felt like he couldn't come in and say, don't sell people, don't sell your daughters. That would have been too much.
Speaker 2: Is that what you're saying, right?
Speaker 7: It's about what no gay sex and eating shrimp? Bruh, I'm look, I'm not like I'm not going to say like I understand why God does things or not?
Speaker 15: Right?
Speaker 1: Can I reframe it? Go ahead?
Speaker 3: John, Well, I was just gonna say, maybe maybe I can ask you this more direct question. If you were in a governorship, or let's say you're president, would you ever maybe king, let's say king, because that that one I think is a bit more analogous here. Let's say you're a king. Would would you ever make a law that says that fathers can sell their daughters as a sexual slave to another man or another man's son?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Would you ever make an edict or a law that that allows that in your kingdom?
Speaker 4: Would you do that?
Speaker 10: First?
Speaker 7: It what depends in which time period? It would depend on context.
Speaker 8: I and.
Speaker 1: Now you yourself right now, you your brother.
Speaker 8: Will anything, Will Will Will Will Will Will.
Speaker 3: Just think of the economy. What is the fucking economy I have to do with selling your daughter?
Speaker 1: John asked you you right now, would you pass that law?
Speaker 2: Sitting here today? Boom, we've just.
Speaker 1: Given you the power. Yeah, We're just giving you the power to control all of the universe. Would you tell people on Earth it's okay to sell your daughters into sexual slavery.
Speaker 7: Maybe if I was in the I would be or something like that.
Speaker 1: But what you're a bad person then.
Speaker 3: No, but right now, no, no, you hold on, hold on, you're shifting. You're shifting, you're changing it. Right, I'm saying you yourself right now, your person not like any No, you would not. Okay, God does Why are you better than your God?
Speaker 7: I don't think. I don't think God allow allows it?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 3: No, no, he allowed it is God. You believe in the true and that God changed his mind.
Speaker 5: Yeah, human did with the.
Speaker 1: God changed his mind. No, this is okay, so two thousand years ago.
Speaker 7: Yeah, people at the time, right, you're working with the people at the time.
Speaker 1: Right, this is so he's a political gradualist. He could are you saying he's working with the people at the time? That is in if I came in and said slavery is wrong. Okay, let's take let's take the Ten Commandments, right. I think you and I can probably improve the Ten Commandments. Right now, three of the verses are I am a jealous God, obey me, don't go to other gods. Right, that's three of them. There's really only four that have rules of don't kill, don't murder, don't covet you know, don't rob, don't lie. Couldn't we take one of those ten commandments that said, don't worship another god or I am the Lord God, fear me type of goud. Couldn't we take that one of those three and it's change it to you shall not own people as property. Wouldn't that have been the best rule that would make the Ten Commandments infinitely better if from day one the Ten Commandments said don't own slaves.
Speaker 10: But okay, I don't want.
Speaker 1: Would that be have been better for humanity? Sure?
Speaker 7: Yes, but okay I want to I don't want. I don't support slavery in any kid.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying you do. I'm just asking pointing out what John is pointing out, which is your God in the Old Testament endorsed slavery, and then in the New Testament says the old laws shall not shall go unchanged, Not a jot or tittle of the law shall change until all things have been accomplished. So your Old Testament God said, not only is slavery okay, but if they're foreigners, you can own them for life, You can give them to your kids, you can have sex with them. That's what the Old Testament says. And then you come to us and say God's good. And that's where John has this question. Go ahead, John, Well.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say.
Speaker 3: And then you're you're telling us that God has God is this sort of what did you call it there?
Speaker 1: Political gradualist?
Speaker 3: Political gradualist when it comes to selling your daughter into sexual slavery. But immediately he could be like, yo, guys, no butt sex, all right.
Speaker 1: Don't kill people, don't steal, don't cove it. Not even don't don't covet.
Speaker 4: It's not even don't kill people.
Speaker 3: It's it's you know, don't kill people asterisk I tell you babies and children in the face and then it's okay, right, So, like God is a progressive gradualist when it comes to sexual slavery and regular chattel slavery and all that. But you know, also don't wear mixed fabrics and you gotta have guardrails.
Speaker 4: On top of your roofs, and like that's just And I'll.
Speaker 1: Go back to the covet like that one of the ten commandments is don't be jealous of your neighbor. Like how is that? I mean, it's not like only do it when it's reasonable if he has a really nice car. Like, it's not a gradualist thing at all. It's literally don't do it full stop. So he's not a political gradualist on don't be jealous, But somehow he couldn't muster up the will power to say, you know what you.
Speaker 7: Talk about it earlier with Joel. I think the name it was is like there's something like there's something right now that in the future will be immoral, but the thing that would still be moral as we have with them today.
Speaker 1: Right, So what you're what you're arguing is it was morally good back then because people thought it was good back then.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the people think I thought, so what people good? But maybe maybe not good? Right, but more like like the utility kind of way.
Speaker 1: So you're a utilitarian Oh, I don't know what is that? Basically, you know, do whatever, it's okay to murder if that ends up in as a net positive for the most people type of thing. I don't think you're really want to make that argument, do you. It's okay to torture this one little girl and keep her locked in a room if everybody else can go look at that little girl and go, Wow, I'm really lucky. This makes me really happy to be in this society. You wouldn't want to torture and imprison a little girl just to make everybody a little happier, right.
Speaker 7: No, but no, no, no, but I don't like it. It's kind of complex through you.
Speaker 1: Here's why it's complex. We got other callers, John, I'd love for you to chime in on this as well. But here's why I think it's complex for you. You know that slavery's wrong. You know that it was wrong two thousand years ago. You wouldn't want to be a slave two thousand years ago. You wouldn't want to be my slave today under the laws that were in effect under the Old Testament. You surely wouldn't want that. You know it's wrong, but you can't say it's wrong because saying it's wrong creates this cognitive dissonance in your head where you're like, I know it's wrong and it was always wrong, but this script that I'm reading from this Bible thing says that God said it was okay. How do I all of those two things? And your brain is sort of doing these backflips to say, well, maybe there was some sort of you know, consensus, and God was a gradualist and he couldn't dictate this rule even though he dictated six hundred other rules. You know, That's what's going on. What are your thoughts, Joe, Well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I don't really understand restricting God in the sense that is being restricted, because like it seems to violate the traditional view of God, like the trinitarian view as well as the triomny view. I would assume that you would think that God is omni benevolent, omniscient, and.
Speaker 4: See I'm omnipotent. Yeah, so, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, if he is omnipotent, then he definitely has the power to make the small caveat of like you know, don't don't grape women, don't rape women, or don't own slaves, like he can make those small caveats he and and all throughout the Old Testament.
Speaker 4: And you'd have to.
Speaker 3: Agree with me on this will that throughout the Old Testament God has laid down his commandment six hundred and thirteen of them, and God expects the Israelites to follow every single one of them, and when they don't, he perceives that as them rejecting him, and he has to punish them as some form of justice, and he does this several times throughout the Old Testament.
Speaker 4: It's like a running thing. You could plot it on a line, like the Israelites.
Speaker 3: They fall away from God, and then God gets mad at him. He punishes them in one way or another, and then they come back in line with God for a little bit, and then they.
Speaker 4: Fall out again.
Speaker 3: It's like a fucking sign wave right of all these troughs and everything like that, and then falling away from God. So God definitely expects them to follow on and do what he asked them to do, and when they don't, they are getting punished. So with him having that expectation, there's no reason for him to be like, I'm not gonna put you know, don't own slaves, don't institute sexual slavery, don't don't kill children ever. Like he could put those things in his top ten of the commandments that he gives, but he didn't. He never issued those particular.
Speaker 7: I can I say something real quick, real quick. Honestly, I made a mistake.
Speaker 8: I almost think.
Speaker 7: I'm properly like equipped to answer this question that God is evil, right, And I think it's evident because I didn't really know what to engage with right the question.
Speaker 1: So that's an incredibly honest answer, dude. I really appreciate that we're coming at you having read all of these passages. We sort of have AMMO in our bandoliers ready to shoot, and you're being very honest with us, and I really do appreciate that that's you should be applauded for that. I do think that John was on the right track bringing all this up. This is sort of the demonstration that either you really haven't read your Bible and you haven't thought about it in the context of wait a second, all of these laws are in here, and it doesn't say don't own slaves.
Speaker 2: In fact, it says the opposite.
Speaker 1: You can own slaves, and you can rape them, and you can sell them, and you can give them to your children, just so long as they're foreigners. You can treat foreigners like shit, you can beat them with an image of your life, and as long as they can get up and walk around for about two days and then die later, you're okay, you did nothing wrong. And we have that as sort of being like, ah, I have to explain this as people of the time really wanted to own slaves, so he couldn't come in and say you can't own slaves. But then we have laws that say things like, don't have sex with your neighbor's wife. No if aans or, but just don't do it. And if you're going to sit around and tell me that men since the dawn of time have not both coveted their neighbors wife and actually had sex with their neighbor's wife, and you don't think that would have been a problem for people to follow. I got a bridge to sell you. So John, do you want to wrap up on this?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean essentially, I do. I understand feeling out of your depth. And we definitely weren't mentioning like you haven't read your Bible as being like.
Speaker 4: A knock against you.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, not at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I when I was a Christian, I did not read my Bible.
Speaker 4: I did not.
Speaker 1: Some real quick sure, absolutely will. But yeah, let's let John finish and then we'll give you the last word.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I was Yeah, I was just going to say that I you know, I I didn't read my Bible as a Christian. And it wasn't until I got challenged on that to like what I you know what I believe, why I believe it. When I got challenged on that, that's when, you know, I started really analyzing that and reading the Bible and.
Speaker 4: Everything like that.
Speaker 3: So I think taking this opportunity to really go through and suss out what you believe, why you believe it, about the Bible and the Trinitarian God, I think this is a you know, a key opportunity for you to really solidify you know, those things for yourself, as opposed to having somebody wants instruct you as to what to think.
Speaker 7: Yeah, right, well on that right. I think ultimately the quest of God, like believing him in him or not or whatever, is an individual quiest that you have to figure out for yourself. And I do believe that you have to put at someone, You have to put your ego on the side, and you have to say that you you don't understand more than you understand, and so yeah, it's you have to figure like those questions. But I'm sure, I'm sure there's many answers of God is evil and why he isn't or this or that, but at the end of the they have to make up your own mind. And like for me, I think for me, a person in my fathe in God like I didn't get it fair, I got like revelations, right, I got some visions and stuff like that. But I I know I have the right to be angry with God, to say I don't understand God, and it's it's it's very tough because the reflexes would be just to close myself to God.
Speaker 14: But I.
Speaker 7: Think I find much more value in cultivating a relationship with God and with faith and and trusting in God for my life and my purpose and meaning.
Speaker 1: So this is yeah, I appreciate your honesty. Will I think that my advice to you were I to give you, and it would be instead of focusing on you having to trust in God, focus on why you believe in God in the first place. I know you said you didn't want to talk about it, but focus on that and ask yourself what I know I understand, but I focus on it, and then ask yourself, is that a good reason to do anything else in my life? Would I believe an investor who wanted a million dollars for me based on these reasons or things like that? And then compare those feelings the reasons you have for believing a God and the next step is to say, okay, does that lead me to believe in the Christian God? Because those are two different things. A lot of people have these, like the person in our first caller had these sort of what he would call spiritual experiences like I just feel love and that's God. And then they glom on to what's around them in their community. They glom onto Christianity. Christianity because it's the easiest answer they have of the pocketed like answer to why am I having these feelings? Just because you believe there's a God doesn't necessarily you need to be a need to be a Christian. And just because you're a Christian doesn't necessarily mean you need to be an Old Testament Christian. Right, So there's lots of things to consider there, and I want to pay.
Speaker 7: I told you guys, I'm a cat sleek heritage soul.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. I found that interesting. By the way, I didn't get to ask that question. So that's good, all right, thank you so much. There will anything for you to add there, godless No, oh right, we have a one more call if you have a moment, should we take it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Great? So I think the pronunciation is Eve or a E V E. Eve Morning Star. She her they from Canada wants to talk about how the Christian God seems to view worship as a sexual thing. Am I pronouncing your name right? Is it Eve or Eve?
Speaker 11: Are you able to hear me?
Speaker 1: I'm able to hear you.
Speaker 11: WE got you, thank you, And I go by Eve as a play on atheist. I'm child free, so I've gone a whole lot of pressure to have children, and I like a play on not a mother.
Speaker 1: I got it understood a Eve got it as in an atheist, ave got it?
Speaker 4: I got it?
Speaker 1: Very nice. So you want to talk about Christian God that views worship as a sexual thing. So could you explain to us where you see worship, what is worship, and how that is either literally or symbolically sexual?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 11: So first, are you guys comfortable to talk about this content of sexual discussion, about sexual assault definitions and everything else like that before I proceed.
Speaker 1: Absolutely sounds good.
Speaker 11: So I am working on a master's thesis that's heavy and feminist discussion where I apply John W. Lostis's the Outstar Test for Faith. I combine with Tector A. Garcia's book Alpha God, and I also combine it with as well with tetter Ablosis Fighting Words books, where he discusses his view of religious violence, and so I can take those together to create a feminist version of the idea of religious violence. And after Outlows discusses where I say that all right, So whenever Christians have a definition like with the Outstar test for faith, where they apply to others, therefore a week apply it to them. And so when the Bible goes into detail saying that worship of other gods of adultery and a whoring after other gods, woul't them amply that the worship of the physical God is also a sexual matter if you'f use worship in general as something that's sexually related.
Speaker 1: Have you done any linguistics? Can you hear me? By the way, my headphones are okay, good? So this is an interesting concept. Have you done any linguistic studies of the meanings and translations of the word adultery from original text or the closest to original text we have, because I would not be surprised if multiple different words are translated as adulterous or adultery and they have subtle but different meanings. I'd be intellectually curious to see if you've done any research there.
Speaker 11: I fail in my linguistic capabilities, and so I heavily rely on tests by those who are more scholarly in a topic, such as, for instance, Professor Jennifer Bird and her Book's Marriage in the Bible, where she goes to when in translations of law, different terms with fascinating.
Speaker 1: So, John, what are your thoughts here on on this this study?
Speaker 2: This is an interesting study to me?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean I think that there there's a lot of sexual connotations with it in in UH, especially in the Old Testament's portrayal of like the UH of being in a relationship with God. Sorry I had a dark screen up and but being in a relationship with God, like it being a marriage and like you know, Israel is in a marriage with God. And there's so many different analogies of portraying God as the as the groom, and Jesus as or not Jesus but Israel or the people the followers as the bride and everything, and uh, so I think that it's it's it's a.
Speaker 4: Rather unique view, and I definitely think.
Speaker 3: That that part of it is some kind of sexual coercion because God is definitely trying to control the sexual line, or at least the character God in the theology is trying to control the sexual lives of the adherents, and specifically the sexual lives of women. Uh, not so much the sexual lives of men, other than to protect men's properties.
Speaker 2: What I am shocked.
Speaker 1: I'm shocked at the accusation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I definitely see your point.
Speaker 11: There a a eve a yes, A kind of like the same emphais as atheist so A.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I was trying to I was trying to do it, bnail it. I suck at pronouncing things, so I'm trying to get it right.
Speaker 11: You're doing great, So I willso take a lot of different theories, like of course, my thesis is nine hundred pages long and its draft form alone all my tribute. So this is more of a leading questions, more the one about the idea of that as such, especially because we have definitions of AGVID, sexual assault and sexual assaults in its different degrees. I'm from Canada. Would you mind if I read out our definitions of sexual assaults that way any listeners would be familiar with the topic.
Speaker 1: I'd say the time that we have is probably limited, but we can probably just explain it to say, the higher the degree, the more invasive and morally offending the behavior is. It can be in everything from a low degree with an unwanted touching all the way to full on sexual penetration with some sort of motive getting all the way to the highest degree. So I accept the premise that we have most cultures nowadays have degrees if various criminal offenses, including sexual assault, is the specific wording relevant to your.
Speaker 11: Point just one where I want to note that sexual assault does not have to include actual silence penetration, or I think it can simply be sexual attend or for instance, someone was stalking a person, for instance, the ever present God of the Bible who is apparently watching us all the time, including the two people in the Garden of Eden who were not aware to even be ashamed to cover themselves up, and so he was essentially being a voyeur at that point in time as well. But I wanted to know that acrid sexual assault could simply be violence that has a sexual connotation to it as well, where it's for instance, a stalker who commits the violence against someone's reproductive or gentle organs because of a desire to punish them sexually. And I would like to note that what if hell is both punishing atheists for unwanted sexual attention that we have declined from a biblical God, not to mention that the curse of ease appears to be accurate sexual assault as well too, for if women are cursed with childbirth, So what does that make all maternal mortality and morbidity statistics?
Speaker 1: So I find it interesting. I'm not sure what conclusions or purpose or utility the observation would have other than just to point out some similarities. So I would encourage you. First of all, it would be more interesting I think if you expand it beyond the Canadian law and sort of look at all cultures that have been strongly.
Speaker 2: Influenced by you.
Speaker 11: It's best on our talk show and our time today.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Perfect, Okay, So that's point one. Point two is what is the end point of your publication? What do you want people to take away from it? And more importantly, what do you want? But what behaviors do you want to change based on this? What's the point is it?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 1: The authors of these scriptures were heavily influenced by concepts of sexuality.
Speaker 2: Or is there something more than it than that.
Speaker 11: My own premise is the idea that previously we had blasphemy and heresy laws, where those were laws that Christians apply to non Christristians who they viewed as an ethnicity. As the original Christians said that non Christianity is an ethnos ethnicity, earned viewed it as almost in a racialized manner by viewing non Christians as racialized task what if, as for the outstart test for faith, where religious views that are put onto non religious members instead are put back onto them. What would it mean for ethics and morality discussion of philosophy if we would say that, what if the biblical God is a rapist as sexual like someone who's committing sexual assault of non Christians or just people in general, such as, for instance, all women, And what does that mean for those who choose to politically and financially support that being when we already have cases such as for instance, Jeffrey Epstein cases going on. So it's more of a plastical consideration of currently in the world we are still fighting Hairstine blasphemy laws. What do it mean if we would have a counterpoint to it in the exact same way that whenever we have book fans going on, so we can always note that the Bible actually violates a law of their obsceneity definitions for try and take down for instances LGBT books or for instance housey tag temple has for instance in the past, but a bath met statue in order to challenge ten Commandment statues. What if we knowed that, just like how Christians and others have used haresing blasphemy laws against non Christians, what about using mortal laws based on epicure and ethics aka ancient atheism against Christians by knowing that if you're going to say that we deserve to have been charged with them in the past, and you're still not exonering past which child victims for instance, and past heresy child victims, then should you not be subject to our laws being applied to your God? Why is your God not being able to be subject to human laws and morality?
Speaker 1: Well, there's a couple of quick answers from I have. One is you don't have any place to address to serve God process, so you can't sue them, and you can't you can't arrest them. So from a practical standpoint, that's that's like the legal answer is yeah. I mean, that's a tongue in cheek answer. But there are it might be fun to include in your paper. There are there are cases where judges have dismissed lawsuits against God by on civil procedure grounds. Just you know, when you sue somebody, you file a complaint with the court and then you have to serve the papers on God, and if you can't, you have to go to the judge and say here's why I couldn't serve. And judges have just dismissed the case because you know, instead of saying there is no such thing as God, they're basically like, hey, I'll let you sue God if you want, but you have to serve on papers, and if you can't, then the case dismissed. And I kind of have that as a tongue in cheek response, but I also have it as a as a sort of it would be interesting to add those cases to your paper as sort.
Speaker 2: Of a counterpoint.
Speaker 1: The other the other one before I give it over to John, is I think intellectually it makes a good point, right, I think that intellectually saying to this day we have anti blasphemy laws where we get calls occasionally from people in countries where if their family or their government knew they were calling us and saying they were the atheists, they're risking their lives. We have journalists being executed in places like Singapore because they write about, you know, it's not great to be a Muslim, or something like that. We have a lot of those laws. I'm not sure how convincing the argument would be to say, well, those laws are designed to protect a god. Are What you're saying is those laws are designed to attack non believers, And I'd agree with that generally, with some exceptions. And then you're saying, wouldn't it turn about be fair play if we attacked believers with man made laws, specifically those having to do with sexual assault, and accuse God of being a sexual assault perpetrator. If I'm understanding you, I'm not sure that that would move the needle on anybody's scale anywhere. I'm not sure do I have your argument right? Am I summing you up? Probably too tightly? But is that generally sort of the idea of what you're saying.
Speaker 11: I actually go over a bunch of different things. I have two parts to my thesis. One is on semistery and the other one is more on religious silence, where I take up the topic christ of fascism. So it's all laws being applied, but specifically I was suscessions byed by godless engineers post today advertising for the show whereak you know his name? About atheists? So why didn't you just fabricate a body for yourself like you did for Adam?
Speaker 4: Do you know?
Speaker 11: I just really like raping little girls. I enforce them to first. So I want to focus on that topic because it is half of my thesis is because I do have a focus on semistery. However, I would notice that as for the outstart test for faith, as Christians in the past have brought non believers into court by saying that they represent God, that we went half to bring God into course with someth we have to bring the exact same group of people so previously playing that they could represent godfully in course on their own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you will get any or your thoughts, John Well.
Speaker 3: I was going to ask you, are you sorry? I was trying to follow along? Were are you in agreement with my posts? Or do you think I went too far in my post?
Speaker 11: I became atheist in the pews, hide in the pews eleven years old from being sexually assaulted at Christian Summer Counts. I am in poor agreement with your post.
Speaker 3: Okay, now, yeah, I because I you know, I get pushed back sometimes from from atheists on that. I'm so sorry you had that experience. By the way, I agree, uh, And I'm kind of curious in in your dissertation there, what what kind of do you discuss like Mary being being raped at all?
Speaker 4: Like in the Okay, yeah, because I you know.
Speaker 3: It's so strange and I don't know if you've found this, Like I don't know if you talked to many theists out there, Christians specifically, but they always seem rather surprised whenever you point out the fact that Mary was raped by God.
Speaker 11: In that I got so much pushback at university.
Speaker 1: Really well push I'll push back to John and I have had this conversation. But I'm coming at it from a lawyer's point of view, and if you use the word rape, it's got this sort of You talked about the tears, right, and typically it has to do with you know, sexual organs interacting against the will. I totally agree that she was assaulted. I e battered technically if you go with a traditional law, but I disagree that she was raped. I'm not sure I agree that she was sexually assaulted, but I agree that something happened to her against the will that we would criminalize today.
Speaker 4: So so the way that.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna let you ask the question because I know what John's question I think is going to be. But let's see if they're the same question. Go ahead.
Speaker 11: Are you aware of Professor Richard Carrier's books The detailed how earliest Christianity viewed God essentially as an alien. For heaven hell we're said to exist somewhere between the Earth.
Speaker 10: And the moon.
Speaker 11: As I believed that the heaven, we're part of the atmosphere, you know, the firmament. And therefore, why must we think about God in the same limited sense that modern day Christians do, rather than in historic ways that Christians did, such as, for instance, simply referring to God as an alien and therefore might have different concepts of sexual behavior than we do. And at the end of the day, even if there is no sexual contact, is not sexual harassment? Does it not also include in multiple definitions and cases that have them processed in our course as well too, simply unwanted sexual attention, even if that does not come out to actual phallic or like phallax penetration of bagual caavies or reproductive organs.
Speaker 1: I think where you lose people, And John, I would like you to give your side, because John's got a very good take on this that I just happened not to have bought into at this point. And I'm not saying it's because I disagree with it. I'm just not convinced yet. But I think the hiccup is always this concept of sexual and my objection is from a legal standpoint and from a practical standpoint.
Speaker 2: I don't think this sells.
Speaker 1: I don't think people hear this and go, oh, you've got a point. I think they hear it and they recoil from it and go, there was no rape. There was no physical God, he magiced a baby into her, and that under the law might be battery, right, it could be pretty high degree of battery, but it's not a sexual assault because there was no sexual desire. Now you're coming along and saying, well, what if he was an alien or thought of sex differently and all that stuff. Now, you're really losing your audience right now. You're really doing You're stacking a hat on a hat to try to say I've got something cool here, when in reality, I think most people will shy away from it. My argument is just the legally correct and better based on people's popular understanding of what God was and what that incident was, is that it was a battery. But that's a very you maybe a distinction without a difference. I don't know what are your thoughts, John.
Speaker 3: Well So the way, and I just want to point this out that I've I've Grandma sorry cross exam. I've I've heard your particular like objection to mine, and I've taken that as a challenge to to Well, I mean to we.
Speaker 1: We had it back and forth. It was great and like genuinely I asked him to flesh it out and all this stuff.
Speaker 2: I find it an interesting concept.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So what I've done is I've synthesized a bunch of scholars in the area of some of it advanced like feminist literature concerning sexual assault and rape and all that, and I've come up with this definition. And I've ran this by doctor Ben who agrees that this is that this would apply.
Speaker 4: To their rape label.
Speaker 3: And so my definition is, and I'd like to get an ape's take on this, the imposition of sexual access to another's body in a way that nullifies that person's authority over their own embodied domain, transforming them from a self governing subject into a sexual object within someone else's control. Now, this sort of refocuses it to the harm that rape does as opposed to the mechanism of rape, because I don't think that the mechanism is necessarily important. It's the harm that is caused, and it's the controlling of sexual access to someone's body and all that.
Speaker 4: Oh, what are your thoughts there? Abe?
Speaker 11: I completely agree. I find that, as with law of semis theory, that a lot of people have a misinterpretation of what sexual assault actually entails, and that includes more of a loss of the tommy loss of power then it does simply the mechanism. So, for instance, when I was fifteen years old and being messaged inappropriate depicts and stuff like that by people in authority over me, was that not a bit of sexual assault? Not only was I minor, which, of course, the mother Mary of God was supposedly according to the earliest Christians approximate between the ages of twelve fourteen years old. But also we also have other cases well too where sexual conduct is not given. For instance, there's cases of artificial insemination where doctors use their place of authority to artificially inseemate with their own semen even if they do not actually have sallace penetration. I think it's more that a.
Speaker 2: Lot of that is argument right there.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think that it does not have to be about the mechanism because law of are laws, and our famous discourse has not been about simply that has to include actual penetration. That's why I was reading out to actit sexual assault definition which does.
Speaker 8: Not include it.
Speaker 1: Correct, And you're going to find different degrees, but the commonality that people will impose upon that is this concept of carnality, of desire, of sexual interest and then some sort of overt act. Right that's typically Now you can have some fourth degree sexual assault where you don't have to prove some sort of sexual intent possibly, and those are usually prescribed out like hey, you're a teacher in a school and they're like they're in your care and then you touch this thing. You might not have to prove intent there like this carnality concept, but it is often part of especially the more advanced ones, and certainly anything that the average person would call rape. When you go look at the law, at least in Maryland that's where I practice, you're going to have these concepts of intent, sexual desire, carnality. They use all sorts of different words to differentiate it from I cut you open and put a fertilized egg in you and I closed you back up. That's aggravated assault, but I wasn't. There was nothing sexual about it in the legal sense. Now it had to do with like your gender. Maybe, so it might be sexual in the biological sense, but in the legal sense that was just like I cut you open, I put a lego in your uterus, versus I cut you open, I put a fertilized egg in your uterus. Those are both just aggravated assault, you know. And again this is me coming at it from a lawyer. Yeah, that's half of my objection. But the other half is, I don't think it wins you any arguments.
Speaker 2: To say rape.
Speaker 1: I think assault or battery and things is it is a softer, more convincing argument that doesn't shut down brains immediately.
Speaker 2: But I agree that it's an interesting statement.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, John, Sorry, Well, I mean I was I guess I was going to say that I think that it is a difference in what were and what we're classifying as sexual, because yeah.
Speaker 3: Maybe correct me if I'm wrong, they're a cross. But it seemed to me like when you were describing sexual you were describing it as like a attraction, like there was some kind of attraction that was behind it.
Speaker 1: That is at sort of the medium levels. Typically, like in Maryland, if you do vaginal penetration against their will, that's rape, right, that's the definition of like first degree rape. I don't think there's any sort of carnality in it, but there might be a version of it, a first degree rape that's like you know, sub item three.
Speaker 2: I can look it up and all that stuff and get back to you on that.
Speaker 1: But the primary usually first degree is forced what we would consider sex, vaginal penetration. That's rape. But then there's these degrees. There's first seconds, third degree rape, first second, third, fourth degree sexual assault, and then there's attempted in all of those and each of them have multiple sub sections. So it is something that legislators have spent hundreds of years on. For example, this is you probably have this in your paper. You seem very well researched. But another interesting stat is that the FBI didn't didn't classify male rape as rape until like the nineteen seventies, even though it fit the definition, and we had to go back and look at all of these things. So add that to your paper because that's interesting. But yeah, if you go and look at all of them and you just google for your state, you know, rape criminal law definition, you'll get into all of these and the ones that are not like the obvious rape, the one that people think of, those tend to have you touch to the person with some sort of mal intent. There's an intent like they don't want people getting arrested because I accidentally brushed up against somebody, Right, there is this intent element you need to.
Speaker 2: Prove as a prosecutor.
Speaker 1: You can't just have somebody bump into you on the subway and say, oh, I was sexually assaulted because you happen to hit my breast or my vagina or whatever or penis, whatever whichever way it's going. So there are these intents, and those intents tend to have these this concept like how do you fine intent? Like if I just intended to touch you there, but I didn't do it for some sort of sexual gratification or carnal reasoning, my legislature might classify that as aggravated assault but not sexual. Whereas if I can prove that it was done for these reasonings out of sexual gratification reasonings, now all of it's sexual assault. Other jurisdictions might draw the line elsewhere. So I think that's an interesting study. Is comparative sexual assault laws across jurisdictions in Jodeo Christian influenced countries?
Speaker 11: Thanks? So, may I bring you back to my original question? Is it possible that due to the heavy focus on the Book of God wanting humans to love him above all else and calling the worship of other gods adultery and afforing and viewing it as that even making threats of sexual violence quite frankly speaking, saying he would lift up the skirts of Israel and other threats that quite frankly seem like marital rates, is there not a caste to be made that the Bogo God has shown intent.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, because I don't believe there's a god. Now, if we get past that I think. I think the God character, well, it depends the answer I would give, has layers that are related to Like I don't believe on God. Do I agree that the people who wrote those passages had sex on their mind one hundred percent. That's how they dealt with the world. I think if you study history, it's all about property and sex. That's really all it's about. So that's the analogies they had. Now you then have to go further and say, people take this to believe it is sexual in the same way that we classify sex as a crime in certain situations in our law, and I think that's a.
Speaker 2: Bit of a leap.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people will say that symbolic it wasn't meant to be literal. We hear that all the time on the show. You'd have a lot of work to do to convince somebody that, because there's all this symbology in the Bible about worshiping another God, is like you're cheating on me. To then turn around and say, therefore, I should apply modern sexual assault laws to you a believer.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm wondering if there's because you know, hearing it described that way, there across it. Just it really reminds me of the power dynamics contained within pedophilic you know situations, because like you know, the because you know, biggots all the time when I try to portray pedophilias as sometimes homosexual and right, and that's not at all what it is, because the main thing about the like a mind of a pedophile is the imposition of control and power over another individual. It's less about like the sexual attraction that they have to any specific like sex or gender. It's more about the power that they can exert over an individual and everything. And I'm wondering if there's some kind of like you know, connection there, which I don't know if that's if you've considered that at all their eve at all.
Speaker 8: But I have.
Speaker 11: Made a comment earlier or right, sorry about interrupting there. I have a party made a comment earlier about how out of an eve we're not even aware to be ashamed. That seems like if you have to eat a medication, well say pharmacopeia like witchcraft, where if you take a certain purbal or fruit medicine that gives you a specific power, which is what the fruit of the tree of knowledge, the fruit of the tree of Good, of knowledge of good and evil, appears to be in the Garden of Eden, where they have to consume this in order to even be aware that they are walking around naked, in order to be ashamed of themselves. They obviously have a mentality far below the biblical God, even simply to gain knowledge that cycal God has. But that's not even just the mental differences. There's also the difference of age gaps. How in the world can humans who reach max. One hundred years or if you believe the Bible, nine hundred years, how can we ever approach a God who supposedly, according to the Bible, is your somewhere between six thousand years old two constantly billions of years old, if you believe that he's existed since the Big Thing? How can you ever approach that level of mentality of difference, especially when one is omniscient and one is limited to a mortal life that does not have any capacity to have omniscients.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, yeah, I definitely think that that's that's a concerning like connection there between the two, and I think that you're right on the money as far as all that goes. Of course, I know that you know cross here is going to disagree with the both of us on you know, the God's grap being age towards Mary. But but yeah, I mean I think that there's a lot of connections, uh, you know, in the Bible between the sexual nature that God is portrayed in and his relationship with human beings in general. So I think that I think you got a good paper, a good idea there. And I'm not surprised that you're getting pushed back from from university.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, people when you whenever you question the long standing like ideas.
Speaker 4: Like that, you're always going to get pushed back.
Speaker 3: I hope that, uh, you know, you that you stay strong in that and you push forward with it and and don't let them, you know, intimidate you into silence, because I know that that can happen sometimes. But but yeah, I think that you're on a good track.
Speaker 1: There, thank you. I agree. I think that despite my objections, uh, you know, the research you've done, your knowledge is obviously very impressive and I would continue to pull that thread and see where it takes you. I am a where the rubber hits the road type of That doesn't mean I don't like academic h papers. I read them all the time, but I always want the paper to say, therefore, society should do X, and if that X is, you know, there's this language in the Bible about sexuality, a whole bunch of studies about sexuality. Therefore, we should prosecute Christians for sexual assault. If that's the there for, I think you're not You're gonna not going to convince anybody, because I wouldn't vote for convicting Christians.
Speaker 2: Of sexual assault for because they were Christian.
Speaker 1: You know, I think it's an interesting hypothetical, like what if we did it? But I would try to if that is indeed the conclusion, I would try to buttress that with some other proposed legislation that would be would even if the proposal is, hey, simply introducing this legislation would create a discussion that would be helpful in moving the ball.
Speaker 2: That would be an interesting thing.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's more of a hypothetical. And the same way that Hector Ablos discusses the idea of religious violence and how to approach it, by redefining this hesitance that people have to even label a very clear instance of religious violence as religious violence. It's instead being like, all right, but how about we actually label us as a problematic matter in the first place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I totally agree, saying you know, the headline of Mary was Raped is serves that purpose tremendously. I always worry about is it going to shut people down too early? Right, That's why I say, well, wait a second, you know, let's slow, let's use a slightly different term. But I think our goals are the same. Yes, all right, thank you so much for your time today. This was an excellent call to end on. It's one of the most unique calls I've ever gotten doing this.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Please, thank you so much, ye for calling in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, please please call back or send us an email and update us as to how it's going. And if you do get published, please let us know because I'd love to see I can get behind the paywall and get a copy. Don't get me started on academic paywalls.
Speaker 11: Yes, thank you so much for your time, Domina for all Thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thanks a lot. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Well, godless, I think we got through it. It was longer than I expected. We had a lot of calls. I really appreciate you, uh your insights, especially on that last one. I knew that would be right up your alley.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I know that you're coming in from a legal perspective, and I know that there's a vast difference there. And you know, my wife, she speaks legaliese and so I usually have to run things by her, and and like you know, as to whether or not I can say this or that, like.
Speaker 4: It's technically correct.
Speaker 3: You know, I always want to be technically correct, and so that's something that I always have to kind of keep in mind. So, uh but but yeah.
Speaker 1: I I agree, it's it's I want to be technically correct. But I also, like I said, I'm this rubber hits the road guy, And I'm like, if you get up on stage, if you're out in the parking lot, you say Mary was raped, and you know, prove me wrong.
Speaker 2: Maybe you'll get some people to drop by.
Speaker 1: But if you say, you know, God violated Mary's rights, let's talk about that, then you'll get I think a bigger audience is willing to actually listen to that. That's just the only point I was making. But I'm wrong about things all the time, and that maybe I'm not a politician, and I don't know what plays. I've seen politicians get elected that do some crazy shit, as we say lately.
Speaker 3: Well, I will admit that the Mary was great thing. Well, I'm one hundred percent behind that, like I will that's a hill that I will definitely die on. Sure, but I will admit that because of the reception that it gets. I usually run with it, because of the fact that it will cause people to be like, yeah, it's they want to argue with it so much, like no, no, And like even if I went with your version of it, they would still have a problem because they're like, oh, but she agreed that that was fine.
Speaker 4: It's like, no, maybe you should read that again.
Speaker 3: Becaueah, they don't understand the difference between acquiescing and giving consent.
Speaker 4: And yes, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: I actually went there when you were talking about this the first time I heard you propose it. I went and did a bunch of research and made up some documents about definitions of different degrees, and went and read the passages in the Bible, and then I went and read apologetic defenses of that impregnation and all of that. It's a fascinating topic and I really do think it's it's something we should all pursue as some sort of have that sort of thing ready to pull out of our belts at an even time, because there is a whole, there's a there is a mental somersault that people have to do to defend it, which is, well, she couldn't resist and she didn't want to resist because it was God. That sort of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the thing that.
Speaker 3: Gets me every it seems like every time, at least every stream where that comes up, you get, you gets.
Speaker 4: Somebody that's like, but she liked it. No, why are you gonna meet that?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 1: You know what's end on a super chat? Shall we?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's end on a super chat?
Speaker 3: But also I think that we've got uh don't we've gotta we've got a backup.
Speaker 1: We have to bring Jamie on. Yes, so let's uh, why don't we bring Jamie on and read the super chat at him and then ask him he's currently oh.
Speaker 4: My god, thirty five right now? Hey, what's up there?
Speaker 1: Jamie?
Speaker 4: Are you doing?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 15: This is this is my anti irrationality helmet and my straight pipe to this tank of cope you might have.
Speaker 1: How did it work? And I tell I have to tell viewers have multiple hold on hold on, Jamie, He's.
Speaker 2: Got it, my guy.
Speaker 1: When we are on we can see the main feed, you see, and then we see cameras for each participant. Jamie has been s thing and that thing for at least an hour, just.
Speaker 15: For the jokes. I am a weirdo that way, but I was putting it on and taking off as a kind of visual commentary on some of the calls.
Speaker 4: The more I put.
Speaker 15: My mask and visor on, the less I was getting on board with some of the people. Your first caller, the vibesman, just vibes and vibes and vibes, and I'm like, cool for you, cool story, bro, But if you can't provide any kind of evidence of any kind, it's not going to be very convincing to anybody, let alone us who are skeptics. Mohammed, I was watching Truth Wanted early. He called into that, and he was just as odious and that you cut it off at the right time like that, like, oh, it's no problem marrying a nine year old. It's like divine divine command theory all the way up, all the way up and down the line.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 15: The penultimate caller talking about trying to I'm almost getting confused. It was like a it almost becomes static in my head, so many different arguments about how he's going to go about believing in these god and justifying things, and I apologize it just it all kind of got blasted out of my head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were a couple in there. We had the person who was the Catholic heretic who didn't really want to talk out about why and was I think unfamiliar with some of the passages we were talking about. But they before that was the one that was I thought he started out really great. He had some problems with us interrupting and asking questions, but it was a big giant circle and we ended up back where we started out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then the final caller.
Speaker 15: While I again I would never deign to even close to minimize the horrific impact of sexual and violence against sexual violence against people, women and children especially, I don't cancel with this as a rhetorical tool against actual believers. UM actually in them about the technicalities around was it rape or not? I think maybe somewhat obfuscated. I put it kind of in the same category of like Jesus was female, you know, because only one set of DNA was in that Zigo from his mum, so he's probably got Ovarias and I'm like that great thought experiment, write a paper and it's fantastic. It does mean no good because I want I am like you ge as, I'm across.
Speaker 1: I'm a brother hits the road kind of guy.
Speaker 15: I'm also stupid, so I need like simple actionable despite the voice, I had simple actionable arguments that I can just go, let's get down to brass tax. God violated this woman's body autonomy. However you slice it, is that okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's kind of where I am.
Speaker 1: I agree. I think it's a great, great topic and what either way, go ahead, John Well, I.
Speaker 3: Was gonna say, I don't think that the apologetic response though to that is any different than me pointing out that it was it was rape, right, Like, I don't think that. I think that regardless of how you package it, there's still going to be like nah.
Speaker 1: She she, I totally agree. And there's two approaches here. There's this is I don't mean this in a negative way, but there's the clickbaity t title value of it, of me putting up the table that says God raped Mary changed my mind. There's that attention grabbing, and I think that serves a purpose. And then there's the the efficiens argument of if I say, if I don't use the word rape, and I say battered or assaulted against her will, I save myself three four five minutes of arguing about vaginal penetration with a penis right, I get that out of the way, and I just say, he put a baby in her. She couldn't have consented. Look at the power dynamic. That's battery, right, And I sort of get to the point of he's doing this without her consent.
Speaker 2: That to me is the prime, the ultimate.
Speaker 4: We can get to the super chat here.
Speaker 3: And to say, I don't mean to get off too much into the weeds on this, but I think that you're going to encounter the same kind of definitional argument or tug of war with battery, because they're not going to appreciate the idea of God engaging in battery with Mary in general, like they're going to have a problem with any way that you package it when it's some kind of negative action towards Mary.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree, I'm just able to pull out the law and say cause himself or something to touch her without her consent, that's battery, and like I can say definitionally what he did at battery, and then they have to go to where they really want to go the whole time, which is she wanted to he can do it all of those arguments, which is really where they end up anyway.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, I mean that's that's what in our conversation specifically, is what made me generate that that definition that I can just pull out and be like, ah see, this is the definition and like that that's the one that we're working off of here, and so then we can move past it quick.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's great.
Speaker 1: It's great because and if you have like a poster of it where you can just say, here are the elements A, B and C. Did he do A? Yep? Did he do B? Yep?
Speaker 2: Did he did C?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So he meets our definition of something we determined, we deem as a society is criminal.
Speaker 2: Why is he a good guy?
Speaker 1: And then you get to the backflips.
Speaker 15: Because I'm so dense that light bends around me. My biggest fear is that I don't want to get into the weeds on something technical, for fear of accidentally stumbling into a mordern Bailey argument. That's that's my big thing, Like I can't defend this. I'm going to go broad now and that's just me anyway.
Speaker 1: Spat yeah, yeah, all right, super chat. We had one super chat and it was from and Christine the Donut Fiend. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I want to say that again.
Speaker 1: And Christine the donut Fiend, I want to join you in your fiend of the donut organization gave us five dollars and said divine command theory is always used to justify sociopathic behaviors. I cannot I cannot come up with a better summation of it. I can't think of an argument where somebody has said divine command theory is the answer and it wasn't in defense of something that was horrific.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Also, and I am still the slow boy donut rock on Donuts.
Speaker 1: On that note, we should say goodbye, thank you, come back next Sunday and see all our shows again.
Speaker 4: Bye bye.
Speaker 13: Please stop passing egg the bullshit everywhere around you, your buys setting.
Speaker 16: Of yall, walcle dom'sory, mas diet lemm damn of y'all.
Speaker 1: Watch Talk ee Than Live Sundays at one pm Central. Visit tiny dot c c slash y t t H and call into the show at five one two nine nine nine two four two, or connect to the show online at tiny dot c c slash call th H