Speaker 1: Hi, I'm your host, Doctor Lorie, and welcome to Universally Unique, Exploring the neurodiverse world of the Extraordinary. This podcast foster's curiosity and understanding about neurodiversity while empowering individuals with tools for acceptance and inclusion in classrooms, the workplace, and communities. Featuring shared stories of neurodiverse life experiences, it sheds light on navigating a world not designed for diversity. Universally Unique starts now, Hi, this is doctor Lorie. My guest today is Kelly Hall, who is the parent of a neurodivergent individual, and we're going to hear her story about her family and her son in a little bit. But first we're going to start by taking three box breaths.
Speaker 2: Count us through those.
Speaker 1: We're going to breathe in for four, hold for four, breathe out for four, hold for four breathe then so we'll start and breathe then four three two one hold, four three two one breathe out four three two one hold four three two one breathe then four three two one hold, four three two one breathe out four three two one hold for three two one breathe then four three two one hold for three two one, breathe out for three to one, hold for three to one, and a nice sigh. I like to start with with a little breathing. I think everybody kind of needs needs that. So we're had, We're like wrapping up a school year here in Connecticut, and Kelly as an administrator at middle school. So I'm highly appreciative that she was willing to join us at this time of the year. And I don't know how it's been for other folks, but it seems like in Connecticut this has been a really challenging school year. So well, like what kind of well, switch gears a little bit and focus a little bit more on on your son, Sam. So why don't you tell us a little bit about the journey that you've been on with Sam.
Speaker 2: So, thank you for having me first. I appreciate you to mind and talk about my Sam. So I think I'd like to start just with recognizing that Sammy was an answered prayer after many years of infertility where we struggled in all those negative pregnancy tests. If you've ever been through that before, it can be kind of demoralizing after a while. So from the moment that we finally had that positive pregnancy test. Until today, he has brought tremendous joy to our family. My sister actually took a picture right after I had had him, you know, kind of wheeled me out into the waiting room, and there's nothing you can see but elation. Just this incredible joy that I finally got to be a mom. And you know, meeting him and seeing him for the first time, it's it's a unique experience because you're meeting a stranger. Yes you made them, but you don't know anything about them, and you're getting to know them from the moment that they're born. And so Sammy was typically developing until about two when he had a regression. Looking back, you know, with different eyes, knowing more about neurodiversity, he definitely had some sensory issues kind of from the beginning, you know, as an infant was kind of difficult to settle. You know, I read all the books, right, we were very you know, meanwhile left enough to know that I'm going to read everything that there is. Yeah, you know, I had the sound machine, I had all of the things, which is the exact opposite. But my son needed to settle, but figured out pretty quickly that in order for him to sleep, He had to have physical contact, the room had to be dark, there couldn't be a sound machine, and I even had to slow my breathing down so that he could kind of settle and relax. So from kind of the beginning, but up until then, you know, he walked at nine and a half months, had joint attention, was looking and pointing, you know, kind of that shared experience with us. And then it was about right around when he was two, I got pregnant with my second son, Michael, and I was so sick with morning sickness and I had not experienced that with Sam. And up until that point, you know, Samy and I did everything together. You know, we were constantly playing and doing things and reading, and I was not available because I was not feeling well. And we slowly started to notice that he was changing. So what we realize now is that a lot of the language development that he had was echolalia yea and it was a repetition of words, but not necessarily assigning meaning. Now that's difficult to kind of parse out if you're not well versed in that when they're younger, but kind of saw that, but he really kind of just slipped back. We saw more kind of stimming. We didn't know it was stimming then just kind of vocal stems, and he stopped looking at us, he stopped responding to his name, and his speech really became scripting, so lines from a show, and you know, we were just noticing a difference. I think, you know, the moment that kind of really sticks out in my mind mind is too. Really, we had kind of back to back vacations. We were in Long Island with my family when I was there with my sister and he was vocally stimming, and she's like, Kelly, have you noticed Sam makes that noise a lot, you know, kind of try to prompt me. I was like, oh, that's just his fire engine noise, right, But then I started paying attention. I was like, hmm, you know, being an educator and Vince who were neurodiversion in my classes, where I was like okay. And then right after that, we flew out to South Dakota to see my dad and my stepmom, and what I realized is I was speaking for him. So my stepmother would ask him a question, or my father would ask him a question, and I was answering for him. He wasn't answering, he wasn't responding, and so it was one of those things where we were like, hmm, something's going on, and so we spoke to our pediatrician and obviously had birth to three come in. Now, I think our of that lapse was typically around two is when they start to take out that developmental checklist. Well, my doctor had a baby the same time as like that kind of was going so we kind of a fill in and the doctor rushed through it. Oh no, he's fine, literally said to me, Oh, you don't have to worry, he doesn't have autism, and kind of moved on. And that kind of was always stuck with me. I'll come back to that later. But we knew that something was going on, we just didn't know what, and so went through the birth to three process. We had, you know, evaluators come into our house, and what I will was hard was how impersonal that was. So having people come in and you know, try to get him to do things and asking us questions, but like talking to each other like we weren't in the room.
Speaker 1: Oh that's weird, isn't that isn't that?
Speaker 2: Well, what's really odd.
Speaker 1: Is that was my very first job out of college. Yes, I did birth to three and that's not how.
Speaker 2: I operated, but that's probably would imagine not knowing not so, but it was one of those things where I was like, we're here and so's he. So that kind of from from then. We can speak more about advcacy later, but that really kind of started for me where I was like, we're right here, and you know, when they gave and told us like, yes, your son has autism, I think they expected me to kind of fall to pieces in that moment. Yep, there was kind of like the everybody was bracing themselves and I just went, okay, so what do we do next? Right, Like it's it's one of those things where you know something's going on. You know your child needs more support than you're currently able to provide, and now you know how to help them better. So he's not any different. It's the same wonderful, beautiful child that I have the privilege of being a parent to, but now I know what he needs and how to help him. And so within the context of that, I went to school, of course, five months pregnant, talked to my assistant principal, my principal who I dore, and you know, it was a blubbery mass because I was hormonal, like, I don't know what to do. And my assistant principal said, listen, I have two nephews. They have autism. Early intervention is the key. Here are the things you can do. I talked to our special educators at our school who were phenomenal and kind of could lead way. I called you and I got in contact with you and kind of like so it was reaching out to those resources that I knew I had, because at that point there really wasn't a network for me to reach out to and go what do I do? How do I how do I like, where do I even start? You know, what team does he need? What what do we need to do? And so that really started the journey of figuring out more about what does it mean to have autism? What does the intervention look like? How do I start to help my child? Because you know, through the research figured out that yes, you can do something, you can help and so you know, my husband and I just said, oh, we're going to be Sammy's champions and we're going to do everything. We're not just going to do something, We're going to do everything within our power, and we're going to be a team and we're going to figure it out. What I will tell you, though, is that what makes it so difficult is other people, truly, and I've talked with other parents, you know, having a child with a disability, and I still don't like that word very much. Different ability. It can be very isolating. You know. You get like the pity invites to the birthday parties but not played it. So you get, you know, kind of the posture that's like this, and I don't really know like that, you know, it's there's not a lot of curiosity, there's a lot of avoidance, and that can be very isolating because if you don't have a child who isn't developing typically, you don't understand what that looks like every day, you know. And I can even see that difference with my other two. But we really started then, you know, we read a book An Early Start for Your Child with Autism that really helped us kind of get into his world and figure things out. We put together and started looking for ABA providers that we felt were affirming to sammy speech therapy, occupational therapy, and we did aquatic speech there. I mean, you name it. What is aquatic speech therapy. It's speech therapy in a pool. Oh okay, So yeah, So Sammy loved water. That was one of the things even when he was an infant, if he wasn't able to settle, I would go turn the shower on. I actually even had a sound on my phone that was water running, and so it would help him kind of settle. So, you know, we we did that, and I mean hours and hours of work just even in bringing speech back. We had an app that we worked with them every day where it would show somebody with an action and be like like, you know, they'd be walking, what are they doing? Walking, practicing the intonation or eventually getting to that you know three words, he is walking and practicing and doing all those things, and I you know, it was it was challenging. I think one of the biggest challenges for him was with sensory. So he had a lot of auditory sensitivities which made going outside difficult. He now told us that he can actually hear the wings flapping on an insect. Like that's how attuned his Yes, so lawnmowers, leaf blowers, you know, if a plane flew overhead that he stopped whatever he was doing. Kind of see that he was really sensitive to that going to music class once he got to elementary school. Not a fan yet didn't want to go. And I understand why eath brushing was an issue, you know.
Speaker 1: But I find it interesting though, because he had that whole attachment to bells yes, which is clearly very auditory. Yes.
Speaker 2: So what we did was, in anything, we met him where he was, we knew where he needed to be. Right. There's certain areas in which you need to push your child and you know, work on that generalization, that desensitization and figure that out. So I'll give you an example. He hated having his haircut. Not atypical. We actually go to a barber now in Meriden who specializes in giving haircuts to children on the spectrum, and so we started out with like, they have sensory scissors, so there's no buzzer. And what my husband did is he had him first start holding his electric raiser to shave his face and just hold it so we got used to the buzzy sound and then hold it up to my husband's face and then help my husband shave his face. And then eventually, you know, we were able to you know, have him hold the buzzer, and then eventually I started giving him haircuts, just a buzz cut, not a barber, and then over time he's built up to the point where now he can go to the barber. He has to ask for breaks and he can do that, but just something simple that way, where it was like, this is a life skill. He needs to be able to do that. The only other area that he really struggled with was eating. He had pretty limited eating. It got to the point where he was down to ten foods total that were packaging brand specific, so if one of them was like this little like Earth's Best, like peach mango pouch, and they changed the packaging and he wouldn't need it anymore. So we had taken him to weekly food therapy to try to work on that, and we just really weren't seeing that progress. And our speech therapist recommended an ABA based intensive food therapy, and I think that that was one of the hardest things for me as a parent, because what that entailed was it was five days and you had a food specialist that came to our home. We had three meals a day, no snacking, no gluten, no dairy because they're inflammatory, and it was every single meal had to be different, so it had to be a fruit, a vegetable, a starch, and some sort of protein, but it couldn't be prepared the same and it was different for every single meal for every single day until the last day when you had a celebration meal of the things that he tried that he liked, and that was kind of there. What was difficult about that was if he didn't eat, he had to wait for the next meal. And I really really struggled with that because it's that knowing it's what's best for him, and is this what's right and going through all of that it was difficult, but also knowing that I didn't want my son to end up on a feeding tube, and that was the direction that we were headed in. And our food specialist was awesome, Miss Jodie. She actually ended up working with us after one of our regular ABA therapists, and you know, within the context of that, he did the food chaining, so touching it to his lips, you know, smelling it, putting in his mouth, chewing, We went through the whole thing. I think he actually progressed faster because he had done food therapy prior, but by the end of the week, he was eating all the food groups and he had never eaten meat and was eating meat, and now I can't feed the child. I think he grew like three inches in two months, so he was finally getting the things that he needs. So it's those moments of is this what's right and sometimes really having to center yourself and I know what, this is what's best for my child, and he's going to get there and kind of go. And it was fun days.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like five weeks, you know, I think since it was a condensed period of time. Quite honestly, no one has died from not eating for five days, even if he had completely refused everything. But I know many of the individuals that I've worked with on the autism spectrum had such limited foods that they were literally there was no there was no nutrition. I had one kiddo. At one point we used to joke that he had a white diet. He only ate food that was white. He ate rice, he ate noodles, he ate vanilla yogurt, and ate bagels and marshmallows. I think that was it, And I mean we had to teach him how to eat other stuff. We figured out he liked chocolate milk. So good man, he took a bite of one kind of food that he didn't particularly like, we got a sip of chocolate milk, and then we finally got him to eat other things. I don't think he ever really liked any of those other things, but he ate it for chocolate milk. So at least he had a better diet time for a ton. But you know, it's hard to watch and you know, to feel like, oh well that's not you don't like this, but you know, for health reasons in the long term, it's really important, you know. So if he decides that you know, he doesn't like broccoli but hilly green beans, then that we can go with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so now we have you know, many fruits, all vegetable, hilly carrots, you know, a bunch of reads and know everything with ketchup. I think we should have bought stock and ketchup. That's his favorite thing. But it's just like, you know, it's it's one of those things where you know when you're operating from a place of empathy and understanding but also knowing what's best for your child. I think that it's very easy to over accommodate because you know you're coming from a kind of an over protective place. And you know, I've said to my husband over and over, like, we cannot operate from a place of pity. When you pity someone, you're treating them as if they're less, and you make poor decisions. And I know he I believe in my son. You know, he's an amazing person, and we need to operate from a place of it's not can he, it's when will he? And how do we get him there? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And you know, giving him the chance to do a variety of things. So there may turn out to be things that he really doesn't like or doesn't do, but he's had the opportunity to learn those things. I do think I'm kind of wondering too though, whether growing up with a brother who had disabilities, who was pretty much expected to carry his own weight, so to speak, that you saw that and you saw how he thrived, so not coddling him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was you know, that is something that was huge in our house. And my brother's needs a very complex and it was if you're going to do what everybody else does because you can, And also just that why wouldn't we presume competence?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: It's presum douming that you can do this, being curious if you're struggling, and then how do we help support you within the context of this and break that down to meet where you're at and move you forward. So absolutely, you know, it was always even as strange as me as a child because my brother Travis was one year and nine days younger than me, so we really very much grew up together, and I was always kind of perplexed initially about why people were treating him differently, like that's just my brother, Like what's the big deal? And my middle son is very much like that with Sammy, you know, he's about three years younger, and also being a staunch advocate when people were not kind. That was something that I grew up with too, like no, and knowing also how cruel people can be. I can remember very distinctly that he was really strong when he was younger, and he was doing pull ups in gym class and he was doing more pull ups than one of the boys who consistently picked on him, and he actually pulled my brother off the pull up bar because he didn't want him to be able to do more than he did. And I remember that and just feeling very angry. And I think that it's really easy, especially early on in this process, to operate from that place of reactivity, of protection, of wanting, you know, to almost just you know, wrap them and bubble wrap from the world. You know. I just I remember, you know, when he first was diagnosed, and I've talked to other people with children's disabilities find a similar experience. You have this completely irrational thought of like, Okay, I'm just going to move to middle of the woods, right, Like I'm going to protect them. Nobody's ever going to hurt them, and we'll just live off the grid, like I give it a barber passed up and do all of those things. And that's just not reality. You know. You have to accept the fact that although things are improving, you are very much raising your child in a world that is not made for them, and it's only beginning to attempt to start to understand them, and that someday they're going to have to be in this world without you. Yeah, and what is that going to look like for them? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I mean you want them to get to the to be the very best that that they can be, to have the life that that they want to.
Speaker 2: Have, you know, hopefully you know, a career or a.
Speaker 1: Job that is satisfying in the you know, as independent of a life as as possible, you know. But I think you you are a staunch advocate. I think you were even you know, before Sam was born, for the students in your in your school. You've always been very attuned with the students who learned differently and found ways to reach them that I think other people perhaps might have given up on. So tell me what do you think is Samy's contextual strength? But is what area does he really excel in?
Speaker 2: So he is incredibly creative and empathetic, and so we always operate from a strengths perspective. And I operate the same way with my students at school I did in my classroom I do now as the dean and advocating for students. And it sound Sam has perfect pitch. He can hear. Like we were at music therapy this past weekend and there was this little, you know, kids piano and he was playing it and one of the music therapists was in there. He goes, oh, mom, that's a B sharp And she goes and she stops and she comes out. She hits the key goes over to piano and she's like, it is and I you know, I said to her, I'm like, I'm not musically incline. This means I don't know what that means. And she goes, well, if you go into many places, like you go into a casino or something else, they play and see because it's lovely and it's nice be Sharpe's one of the hardest things. If it was a piano, it would be all black keys except for one, so it's really difficult to identify. And she's like, and he knew it right away. She's like, I didn't learn that until like my second master's degree. So like he has all of those things. He loves animation, he loves folly artistry. So he will listen to a sound effect to go play around the stuff in his room and he'll make it sound exactly the same because he just he hears something and he's able to kind of repeat that and go that's his dream. He wants to work in animation, he wants to work in sound effects, and he's really gifted in that. And the other piece of it, too is Sammy has always been incredible, incredibly empathetic, almost to a point of fault.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: We joke when we first started teaching about feelings, he only wanted to talk about happy. He don't want to hear about anything else. And we had this feelings book that had these very expressive faces, and as soon as he got to the sad one the first time you read it, that book went flying across the room, right, and he was like, I don't want to deal with that because for him, he immediately when he sees sad like he's very he thinks in pictures, so it makes him think of every single experience that he's ever had that was sad, and it all just kind of floods in. So he has learned to communicate that, he has learned to regulate that through a lot of different interventions. But he's able to empathize with other people and has a very strong sense of justice. And we really saw that come out this year. In seventh grade, they studied the Holocaust. They did dystopian novels, which he really did not like, as well as he read like The Librarian of Auschwitz, and we had some really meaningful conversations about you know, he's just like, how could people do that to each other? Why do I feel so angry at Hitler, Like I feel like, you know, I'm I want to do the things to him that he did to other people, but I know it's not right, Like why do I feel that way? And when I think about it, it makes me feel so sad. So we kind of processed all of those things, and one of the things we came to is that importance of bearing witness, right that these these things have happened. Part of our job as human beings is to bear witness. And one of the best things that we can do to honor is to live a full and complete life. And that's really kind of help him. But to think about, you know, the child at two who had essentially no spontaneous language, you know, with interventions and advocacy and getting all of the supports that he needed, now almost entering eighth grade, to be having a discussion about the librarian of Ashwitz and discussing the Holocaust, and you know, man being able to redeem himself. You know, we've we've come a really long way. And I think that that's the thing that people don't always understand is that, you know, difference not less. And Sammy really really does not like that it's autism spectrum disorder. That word disorder irks him. He said to me, Mom, they're making it sound like I have a mental illness. I am not mentally ill. And I was speaking to him about coming on to this because I wanted his permission to share his diagnosis. Yep, it's his, it's his to disclose. Is that okay with you? He set boundaries about what I am and I'm not allowed to talk about. Proud of him for doing that, But the thing that he wanted me to share, besides the fact that when he turns eighteen, he wants to come on to the podcast and star in it. By the way, okay, well that's a.
Speaker 1: Ways a way, but if I still have one, I'd be having to have me come on.
Speaker 2: Jimmy, I was laughing. I was like, I'll mention that Sam is. He doesn't like how autism is portrayed in children's animation. He brought up Daniel Tiger particularly. He said, you know, Mom, they only focus on he goes. You know, they have like a meh personality and they only have one interest and it's all about what's hard for them. It's not about them as a whole person. And He talked about how one time he had seen like an autism simulator and he goes, it was like a dystopian terror world. Mom, that's not my experience, he goes. Maybe if I'm having a meltdown, he goes, but that's not how I experience the world. People are way too focused on what is difficult for people who are neurodiverse, and not enough on who we are as people, what are our interests, what are our strengths? And so I said, okay, well, is there any show you like? He goes, yeah, love on the spectrum. Now with the caveat that we preview the shows and we let him watch what we feel is age appropriate and.
Speaker 1: Cut out the ones that are a little too well, a.
Speaker 2: Little too spicy. But he was like, they show the whole person and interest in that, you know, the strengths and they're able to do things, and that autism looks different.
Speaker 1: It does, and I think that's the part that people have a hard time with. And you know, folks say, when you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism, you know, And I think people don't really recognize exactly what that means, although I do kind of think, having met a lot of people with autism that usually I kind of figure it out, but they are all very different, and we have to look.
Speaker 2: At everybody as as an individual.
Speaker 1: You know. I kind of chuckled at love on the spectrum though, because I kind of liked when they like dated and they just sort of got to the point right away and you got all the crap that you like don't like about dating like out of the way in the first like five minutes, and then it didn't work out.
Speaker 2: You just got up and laughed. You know. I don't want that we.
Speaker 1: Should all date, right Why didn't we date like this when I was dating? But so I very much appreciate that he's he sent you with a message because I do think it's it's important, and it's important. I think with all people, we all come to the table with strengths and weaknesses, you know, but we have a tendency, unfortunately, to make assumptions about people who who have a particular label. Which part of that label gets your services, but part of that label also gets you some stuff that's.
Speaker 2: Not that's not great.
Speaker 1: But you might want to tell him though, if you open up the diagnostics and statistics manual the American Psychiatric Association. It has things like caffeine addiction in it and insomnia and.
Speaker 2: Some other things.
Speaker 1: So there's lots of other people with diagnoses and he knows all of them.
Speaker 2: Probably if you get in the DSM, he'll have it memorized in like a day and you're like, well and start diagnosing.
Speaker 1: You have a caffeine addiction, you have an exercise, you're afraid of spiders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: So, I mean we all have something, and I think that's maybe more where the rest of us need to sort of process all of that. But I very very much appreciate you coming to share your your journey with him, and you know, he is He's just he's a he's a fascinating individual. I've been sort of, you know, fascinated, sort of watch a little little bits and pieces the glimmers of his journey along away and hopefully I will maybe get to see him in person again sometime soon. I haven't seen him in quite some time, so.
Speaker 2: He would love that. He's bigger than me now, so changed a lot since the last time he saw it. Does he have a caffeine addiction? Maybe we'll have coffee. No, he refuses to have it because he doesn't want to have a caffeine addiction. It's oh, he's very small. He asks me how much coffee I drink. He's going to be advocating for you in a different ways at all time.
Speaker 1: But what, you know, what I think he's just a remarkable you know, young he's a tween now, So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Help us to my colleagues, I'm like, it's way different, you know, teaching and working with seventh graders than living with one's that's a unique experience for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure, I'm sure it is. But so I very much appreciate you joining us, and I appreciate folks listening. I think hopefully people have gotten some really good information and some good thoughts about how we go out and we approach individuals that are neurodiversus.
Speaker 2: The reality is.
Speaker 1: There's probably significantly more folks out there than anyone even completely realizes.
Speaker 2: We all know at least one person, whether we realize it or not. So yes, all.
Speaker 1: Right, well, thank you so much, and thank you folks for listening, and.
Speaker 2: We will be back in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you for listening to universally unique exploring the neurodiverse world of the extraordinary. Join me, doctor Lorie on Transformation Talk Radio every second and fourth Monday at eleven thirty Pacific.
Speaker 2: Time, as we continue to.
Speaker 1: Explore navigating the world not designed for diversity. For advocacy and support for individuals with disabilities, Let's connect. Learn more about consulting and life coaching at Noopolistaconsulting dot com is a