Speaker 1: Eddie Aragon, Eddie Dragon, Welcome to the other side of midnight.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Walter.
Speaker 1: You have a very big voice. It's intimidating to those of us who are still new to radio.
Speaker 2: Not as big as this story coming out of Russia that's been around for a long time. And I've really got to take all the radio real estate this evening for this because it's a captivating story. As a radio station owner of AM sixteen hundred KIVA here in Albuquerque, New Mexico, ten thousand watts, big station and the most powerful AM here in Albuquerque, you get intrigued by radio stories and how radio comes to be. And I think of Radio Caroline off the coast of England, and this is the one that is particularly gripping, I think for all radio enthusiasts, Ham radio enthusiasts, anybody who's a radio enthusiast whatsoever, as you are Walter and have been for a long time. But I want to take you back to January of nineteen eighty three the Netherlands. There's, you know, one of those small smallish countries in northern Europe, and one man alone is sitting in a room with radio and his name is Ari Wounder. Not a spook, not a general, not a Kremlin insider. He's just a short wave radio enthusiasts. So he's a type that lives inside you know, the radio spectrum, if you will. And night after night he sits there with his receiver, his notebook, serfs the static, looking for odd signals. This is something that people used to do on radio oftentimes, and listening for anything that they possibly can. And most nights it's really nothing special. It's just a distant broadcast bait at stations. But on forty six twenty five Killerhers take notes listeners very deep in the hiss, he hears something, not a song, not a speech, no weather reports, no news briefings, just a low mechanical pulse, one buzz, and it goes on a rhythm every second. It's exact on it. No music, no voice, no station ideas required by the FCC, something akin to what you saw in Contact back with Jody Foster, where you just hear a pulsing out of outer space and there's just stubborn tone that just sits there on the dial, won't go away. He does what any of us radio nerds would do. He writes it down gets the frequency, locks it down location. He assumes it's going to be gone. But that's not what happens, because the next night, the buzz continues to be back, same place, same rhythm, same everything. So let's fast forward, and now this buzz has now been heard continuously for more than forty years, Walter through the end of the Cold War, fall the Soviet Union, the rise of Putin sanctions, and you name it. It's all there, right, it's all coming to it. And this radio buzz has been there, and someone somewhere and Mother Russia is keeping it alive. And this is the story of UBB seventy six. Okay, it's called the buzzer, and it drew a lot of serious attention in the early nineteen eighties by radio enthusiasts. And you know, a lot of broadcasters adjust their outputs, you know, you get low power. Nothing happens to this UVB seventy six. It doesn't mess with anything. It's constant and its tone has stayed almost consistent regardless of what's happening.
Speaker 3: So when.
Speaker 2: When all these people started giving it a name and the assusiasts started going crazy, everyone became obsessed with it, like, what is this what is this going to be? What is going to happen? And finally the station identified itself. The first call sign that people heard in the voice messages was something called u ZB seventy six, which was used sometime in the late nineties to the Earth Lead twenty tens okay. And as the years have ruled on Walter, the call signs of this thing have multiplied and people are looking for different meetings in it. For a long time, the buzzer never spoke. It just continued to buzz. But it changed on Christmas Eve, way back in nineteen ninety seven, out of this drone came a human voice, a Russian operator, reading a line of numbers and a single code word. And for a lot of listeners, you know, that's when everybody went crazy, well something different, right, looking for something, you know, different than what was just a buzzer. And the dominant theory was amongst these you know enthusiasts, was it was just a forgotten Soviet hardware from the Cold War, you know, just left running after the collapse. Right. But they don't read numbers, they don't do anything like this. This doesn't have any kind of intel to it. This is a living voice meant that there was somebody living behind it. It was actually alive. This radio signal. Somebody was on the other end of that buzz, watching the clock and king the mic, and it opened up. So through the two thousands, more voice messages started appearing, always short, always Russian, you know, always, you know, inside the digits of military style code words. And then many other transmissions started to follow that were recognizable, like the numeric groups code words. And what made it all, you know, very weird, was the texture of this stuff. These transmissions didn't sound like any kind of clean studio recording like what you have right or what the people at WABC or our listeners are listening to at WBC. You could actually hear just things bleeding through it and around the edges, you know, things moving on the desk, phones ringing, the muffled conversations, and then those types of noises started feeding more theories about all of this, that there was a digital generator that was sort of locked away in a rack, and then it started to move. It was a bunker in a bot with a human being and human operators popping in and out. And then June fifth, twenty ten showed up and the buzzer did something that it never did before, and all that time, from January of eighty three until June fifth, twenty ten, it stopped. The tone was gone static, just coming in all over the place, and the sneaknem came back. It sounded wrong, it was distorted, it was uneven. Listeners were starting to report background sounds spilling through all of this and through the frequencies. And it wasn't just a chair squeaking and the furniture scraping across the floor. I mean, it was all of this stuff was coming through, and they claimed they heard a woman screaming in the background. And just to make the whole thing kind of even stranger, there was a Cold war opera playing a fragment of Swan Lake from Tchaikovsky. It was all over what's now referred to as the Russian doomsday channel, and that signal of Swan Lake is indicative of something big happening in Russia. Now. A couple of years after that, a Russian student name Igor set out to find the source of all this. Wait, where are we going to locate this? No one's been able to find it. How can we triangulate the signal? Where the where's the location, okay, and he traced the origin of the signal to an abandoned military facility near a town called Pova Rovo, which is northwest of Moscow. Now they describe, you know, thick dust, paint, dead equipment, you know, sort of this, you know, run down military facility. And it was an old transmission logbook that they found there was sitting where operators might have actually recorded all this traffic. So everything about this place was completely off. So apparently one of the men feeding off of Igor's research rode a bicycle silently out of the surrounding force along the path that led nowhere. Another witness in that area found a woman in her forties shuffling past the fence with an empty baby stroller. No baby inside, by the way, no supplies, just an empty carriage rolling around. So who brings an empty stroller to a dead military outpost and why is this thing here? So by the time that people walked through all of this area around twenty ten, the triangulation suggested that a transmitter had shifted to another location outside of Saint Petersburg from Moscow, and it lined up with a western military of the district footprint for Russia's military, and the measurements briefly pointed towards another region near the Estonian border. And then after all of this stuff became military, the Internet started to discover it.
Speaker 1: And how long how long had it been on before the Internet started to discover this signal?
Speaker 2: Twenty fourteen?
Speaker 1: How many years?
Speaker 2: So it had been on forty years?
Speaker 1: Forty years this signal had been on, and then at some point we started we heard a voice. How many years was it on before we heard a voice?
Speaker 2: You heard a versus voice in nineteen ninety seven, so that would have been sixteen years, but eighty three to fourteen years? Excuse me?
Speaker 1: Is it possible that it was put on the air forgotten about somebody in Russia triangulated it, went to it and started to speak on the frequency.
Speaker 2: Is possible? Didn't happen? It has been what it's gone from place to place right place? Internet discorre Yeah. So after the Internet discovered it, there's various communities that showed up all over the place. You know, YouTube read it, I don't know, some Facebook stuff and yeah, right, but they started locating and there's like, why is this thing moving? Some of the hardcore people who were, you know, calling themselves buzzerheads, started decoding contest.
Speaker 3: Did they have swapped?
Speaker 1: Did they have their own sweatshirts?
Speaker 2: The T shirts? Actually it's funny. Yeah, they became this whole entire thing. So they started hijacking.
Speaker 3: Did you get one?
Speaker 2: No? I didn't.
Speaker 1: All right, now before you hijack the frequency, all right, you and I can always talk at eight hundred and eighty four eight nine two to two, two twenty two past the hour with Eddie Dragon from New Mexico, lives within walking distance of the Zoro Ranch. The Zoro Ranch with Epstein's secrets, Epstein's secrets, And now he's concluding the most astonishing mystery story I have heard in some time. A mystery signal in Soviet Russia, sending out a signal every second for years and years without id without explanation, until a voice appeared. And now it's moved, the signal move and it continues. It's a crazy story. Please wrap it up, my friend.
Speaker 2: So the trolls, you know, besides creating T shirts and all, they started breaking into the signal. The station started actually talking back. In twenty twenty four, they had a new kind of visitor, a hacker right, and a guy comes in and he says, can I tell you a joke in Russian? Of course, he says one buzz for yes, two for no, and the station actually buzzed back two buzzes. Then it said he asked him, can I play a song? Two buzzes another note. So these were responsive tones that said, and for the first time after nearly half a century, indicated that there is definitely somebody there. Now there's theories behind all of this stuff, and it's important. They just thought it was a number station away for the Russian military to send, you know, encoded instructions to units in the field or see or wherever they can pick it up. Because remember a short wave, so it bounces and it goes everywhere. Two five. But that particular signal has been mostly dismissed as a number station because it doesn't behave as such, it doesn't follow what's called a five digit structure in most number stations. There's another theory that it's a channel marker, which is a constant signal that reserves that frequency and allows military units to check reception before a real message goes out. So if the buzz is cleaned, the line is live in that type of setting. The rotating call signs and occasional relocations make sense, right, But the new districts, the new hubs, new hardware don't necessarily indicate that it's that. But we do know that it has been used in that way. But that doesn't even kind of come full circle on this and what it is, because you'd have to go back to fourteen years to the first time it happened nineteen ninety seven. This is the first you know, documented in the early eighties. But it doesn't transmit any voice messages, which is exactly what that military line would actually do. Now here's the what's called a dead hand theory. Walter So During the Cold War, the Soviets explort systems that could trigger a nuclear counter strike hence the name doomsday if their central command was destroyed, a fail safe network designed to ensure that the regime could reach back from the grave and transmit messages. This apocalyptic version, if you will, this theory, and most experts, including people who follow this station obsessively, have dismissed the idea. But the shortwave, given that they're relied on, it is all too reliable over the years, despite it being noisy, despite it being vulnerable to outages. It has been consistent the entire time. But in all of it, it's stayed consistent. And during that entire time, from the end of the Cold War, you know, nineteen eighty four to today, there's been no missiles, no mushroom clouds, so it's actually never been tested.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The decision to restore that buzz and put it in different places shows you that it's active and it's listening, and there is definitely something behind it. Obviously that is of course the Russian government. But this buzzer Walter keeps buzzing, it keeps pulsing. It is alive today even as we speak, and occasionally people who are still monitoring it. You can monitor on the internet. It's a sort of interrupted by you know, cryptic Russian messages and voices. So the we know the frequency, we know where it's at, we know the pattern, we can plot the towers when they move, you can go to the places where.
Speaker 3: It's the frequency. What's the frequent four six two five four six five short wave on short wave radio? Yeah, and there's still a lot of enthusiasts. I actually have a shortwave radio myself.
Speaker 1: Oh, I I would have never guessed that I would have never guessed that you had a short wave radio. I am let me just say, I am going to have to sit in a more comfortable chair. Thank you very much, Thank you very much, Eddie Dragon for being on the other side of midnight