Speaker 1: Welcome back to Babylon.
Speaker 2: We had the podcast last We actually crew that as watching and breaking down episodes of Babylon five. We just watched season three, episode two, Convictions, in which a lot of stuff went.
Speaker 3: Bruce shoved a calm link up his butt.
Speaker 1: That might be the most important thing.
Speaker 2: Sorry, it makes me happy because every other show they always talk about it and they never do it in this show.
Speaker 4: You just like shut show delivered and he didn't hesitate.
Speaker 3: Didn't even have a flared base.
Speaker 4: That truly did. Stephen Franklin was going to have to figure that one out.
Speaker 5: Yes, the Babylon podcast was our last best hope for a concise discussion. It failed, but in the Year of the Great Tangents it became something better, our last best hope for clarity.
Speaker 4: The year is twenty twenty six.
Speaker 5: The place wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: We should introduce ourselves before we get into the nitty gritty about that.
Speaker 4: I've know that what I call.
Speaker 6: Hey.
Speaker 3: Hey, my name is Jenny.
Speaker 2: I'm a big fan of the show and I've watched it through many times.
Speaker 6: My name is Jen, I'm a screenwriter and how runner. I watched the show back in the day and I'm watching it.
Speaker 3: Again, Gus actor, first time watcher.
Speaker 4: Ali, I'm a lot of stuff and Jen's like Jens like say it, say it. Hey, I'm a sure runner and an actor.
Speaker 3: And go watch the reaction for more context.
Speaker 4: A sure runner and actor. And this is my first time watching Babylon five.
Speaker 1: It's very exciting.
Speaker 2: Before we get into the uh nitty gritty. I'm gonna use the phrase again and it makes me uncomfortable now. This episode was written by JMS and directed by Believe Michael Behart.
Speaker 3: Oh he's back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. Let me just double check that before because I got it wrong in one.
Speaker 6: Well, that's because the Lakers was wrong.
Speaker 1: The other side was wrong.
Speaker 2: The Lurkers guy was right. The other side was the other side that I used was wrong. This one is right and is Mike Mayhart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And.
Speaker 2: I guess before I added to this, you kept like you were talking about bombings in the reaction. This episode dropped November thirteenth, nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jen's Dodding.
Speaker 2: Oklahoma City bombing happened April nineteenth, nineteen ninety five, so this is almost certainly a response to that.
Speaker 7: And I was like, wasn't there a bombing in the nineties that was very important.
Speaker 6: Yes, and it was, and it was this this character was like obviously based on that, Like it was the I haven't been understood. I've been like, you know, like no one oh respects me.
Speaker 1: A lot of people say that about Timothy mcveay.
Speaker 2: Timothy yvay was like he had copies of the Turner Diaries in his car, which is like a racist white people have managed to kill all the rest of the people in the world and we now have a white utopia.
Speaker 7: Like it sounds like a deeply misunderstood individual.
Speaker 2: Exactly, he was a racist. He was a racist white supremacist.
Speaker 7: But for some reason, what a surprise, a racist white supremacist does other shitty stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talk about it, like we don't know what.
Speaker 2: He had ages from his favorite chapters of the Turner Diaries in his.
Speaker 7: If you've read the monoc so you have favorite chapters, you're a shitty human.
Speaker 3: Probably something wrong going on there.
Speaker 1: Exactly, exactly.
Speaker 7: Listen, I know we're in the we're in the like, oh, this war criminal is a complex character.
Speaker 3: But no, no, no, no, no, no, Look that character is a complex character. The bomber man was not a complex character.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was just a dickhead.
Speaker 3: He was just an asshole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will say I doubt that.
Speaker 2: I don't know that that was common knowledge that he had to the Turner Diaries in his car at the time of this episode.
Speaker 1: But I just find it frustrating that people still say that.
Speaker 2: About Timothy Day, like, oh, we don't know what the guy was a racist, white supremacist who thought that white people should.
Speaker 1: Rule the world.
Speaker 4: Sometimes people are just.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, so yeah, anyway, So yeah, this episode in which something got shoved up Bruce's butt.
Speaker 3: That's the main thing.
Speaker 1: That's the main thing.
Speaker 4: That's all I really want to talk about for the.
Speaker 6: Next I mean, I told you that this is true. I don't remember this episode. I don't think I saw this one and back in the day, and it is a very much of a one off episode.
Speaker 7: I mean remember watching the episode where he showed something up his ass.
Speaker 6: Yes, so when I said, but he said where should I put it? And I yelled, up your butt. I didn't actually think he was gonna put also yelled that we both did, and he did. He did exactly what we told him to do.
Speaker 4: So once they follow my instructions.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it makes me happy in the show because like every show, they say it and then it's like a joke and then it doesn't happen, and it and it was a plot point because it was up his butt and then he sat down and that's what alerted him.
Speaker 3: It's it's just look, I recognized that laughing at this is perhaps somewhat immature. Sure, then who.
Speaker 4: Gives a ship. It's funny as fuck.
Speaker 7: This is the thing. Here's the thing. Immaturity is underrated. What are we doing so seriously? Why are we taking life so seriously? We're in meat suits.
Speaker 4: That's funny.
Speaker 6: We're meat.
Speaker 2: We're meat donuts. That's what humans are. We're just meat donuts. We have like a big hole in the middle.
Speaker 1: And it's.
Speaker 3: Guyton about the fact that we got a big hold. And you know, you're full of bones.
Speaker 6: A machine machine to know, you know they're a machine.
Speaker 3: Sorry, you're a brain full of bones piloting a meat suit on some bones. You're a gun. Congratulation.
Speaker 1: Your bones, all your bones are wet.
Speaker 3: They're just bones are wet. Yeah, yeah, your bones are wet.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna leave anyway.
Speaker 1: Never mind, that's donuts with wet bones.
Speaker 4: I have boundaries now, I have boundaries. Now, okay, I'm sorry, I have boundaries now.
Speaker 1: But it was funny, like Garibaldi was like, turn up the volume, we'll hear what you had for lunch. Like it was all they knew.
Speaker 3: What they were doing was funny. Gat that was good. This is really good. This episode was really good.
Speaker 6: And as a standalone it was really good. Like normally the normally the like I mean, I always go back to X Files and the like Alien of the Week, but this was not an Alien of the Week. It was absolutely we could pick this episode up and take it out and the story would continue. And yet it was like, I mean, you know, it was great and fun and interesting and I cared and I was involved and interested.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean yeah, we could pick it up and take it out. Yes, but you know, a lot of character development, right, we got we got Londo was a lifeet to linear. We've got that is not really sure about the decision Lanier and Jakar not linear, Londo and Jakar in the elevator, Uh big for both of them. Kind of I feel like.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you, I'm going to tell you that's one of the most famous scenes in the ship.
Speaker 3: It's that scene is fantastic. Yeah, it didn't change anything in their relationship, but you know, because that's a moment where you could see one or the other of them extend some kind of olive branch and they both said, no, fuck you. It's season three.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you would see it. Either happened, Like I was actually expecting to see Jakar reach into the hallway and grab Londo and pull him out of the hallway, but he did right, so Londo had to jump, and then of course it was like easy opportunity two hours for Jaikar to kill him and get away with it despite the you know, the treaty thing. I had forgotten about that until he said it, but you know, and so it was a chance for a lot of things to happen that didn't. And yet it also it also validated where they started in the show because we actually got clowns at the end of it. I mean clowns with a lot of baggage, but we got clowns at the end. And it was like we all we say that every almost every week during the opening credits, were like, I miss it when Chakar and Londo were clowns and they gave it to us.
Speaker 3: Interesting they've switched because it used to be the lanier. God damn it. Londo was the sad clown in Jakar was the mean clown, and now Jakar's sad clown and Londo was the mean clown.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And how incredible able to easily switch.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think there was like during that two hours when he had time, like he could have killed him. I think that's what Londo was frustrated about in this two hours. What have you done to try.
Speaker 1: And say, have done anything? I just wanted to watch you slowly die?
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I wanted to see you slowly sixty eight. I was on my bucket list.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was it.
Speaker 3: Willing to die so Londo would die, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I have you know, personally, I've never had someone hate me so much that I think they'd want to watch me slowly. They'd want to slowly ashixiate to have the opportunity to watch me slowly sixty eight. I feel like that's probably a sign that I'm doing something right.
Speaker 3: You know what else? I just I should have realized this in the moment Jams. Did he set up a situation where somebody saved Londo at the expense of potentially the expense of his own life. And then we had a situation where somebody is willing to kill Londo, allow Londo to die, also at the expense of his own life.
Speaker 1: The expensive complex card. Yes, yes, a complex.
Speaker 2: Can who you went a allie and then got mad at yourself for aweing the war trips.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing about me, empathy.
Speaker 7: It's a difficult thing to have, Like like the oh, look at people who are bad people, objectively bad people, and I'm like, I feel really sorry for them, because like I can't imagine going through life having done those things to people.
Speaker 4: And then I.
Speaker 7: Get like sad on their behalf of how like lonely and twisted their souls must be.
Speaker 4: And then I'm like, but at the same time, fuck those people.
Speaker 7: But at the same time, oh, maybe their parents just like were really awful to them. But then I'm like, but fuck them, that's an excuse, And I to just go back and forth like that forever.
Speaker 3: Compassion Yeah, in my fantasy.
Speaker 4: Serious, you know, I just I think about it.
Speaker 7: I'm like, you know, I've had some really mess up things that happen, and I'm like I'd much rather be the person that had those set things happen than live my life having done those things. People Oh my God, like Guykes and magic.
Speaker 3: In my food.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I just think I think about that sometimes I'm like, oh no, it's a much easier burden.
Speaker 2: Well, from the way, yeah, from the JMS speak section there, he does say Londo and then like emphasis, Londo does have his moments where one almost likes him.
Speaker 1: In spite of himself.
Speaker 2: The second episode of Year three has scenes in which you don't like him and then you do like him enormously, and then you don't again. He's caught in the scissors and trying madly to find some way out of the situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean mostly fuck him.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean I think that's important.
Speaker 7: I mean I've also known people who have done some pretty messed up things, and it's like, yeah, they're not all like nobody is a monolith, right, Like yeah, Like they also might like love dogs, or like had a parent that loved them or like you know. I mean, that's the difficult thing about like human beings is that they contain multitudes exactly. And I think that's kind of important because I think a lot of the time, people will be like, ah, of course I would stand up against injustice.
Speaker 4: Of course I would do X, Y and Z.
Speaker 7: And I have people say that to my face and then like something happens and then they're like, oh, well, but they're my friend so and you're like, yeah, all the more reason we must hold our friends accountable as well. Like, I know, it's uncomfy when it's your community and when it's your like you'd like to think that you're the kind of person that was stand up and you're like with these faceless people who are over there who I don't know, right, of course I would. And it's like, well, yeah, that's a much easier person to confront about their shitty behavior.
Speaker 2: Other things I just trying to other things that happened to We had the introduction of some monks into this introduction.
Speaker 3: They stick around. They stay. When you say introduction, it makes me think they stick around and they're not a lot.
Speaker 6: Of things introduced to us in this episode. We have something exciting to tell you about the month, Yes exactly, Yes, something exciting to tell you about the monks.
Speaker 4: What do you have to tell us about the monks?
Speaker 6: Remember how I was like all up in the like, God, I could listen to that guy's voice. I like it. Yeah, it was also like, it's really familiar. I should know this, and I should have known this because Jenny and I have actually talked about it before.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's Draw though, Yes, its original Draw planet. Oh that's that's so he just.
Speaker 4: Yeah, understandable.
Speaker 1: The reason he didn't come back for because he was sick at that time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it wasn't because he was going to do this. He just didn't come.
Speaker 3: Back for New Draw because he was a different season.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's just sick at that time. But they brought him in to play Theo. There's a lot in the Looker's Guide about the name Theo. It's just a name that that Jamis really likes, and it's I would have assumed because he's a month in his theology theology. But no, it's Vincent dan Go's brother. It's one of his favorite names.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I did think at first, is this kind of drawl like? And then I went no, probably not like it's literally comments as draw.
Speaker 7: It's matters for talking too much, and you know, and then when we don't talk, we we don't say something important.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's one of the paradoxes of reactions.
Speaker 2: People want to see you react, but they want to see you react exactly the way they react and say the things that they're thinking.
Speaker 1: It's like, it's just, yeah, that's called projection a little bit. A little bit, it's like, I don't want to hear to talk.
Speaker 2: But when you when you saw this part, you should have said the thing that I was thinking when you saw that part.
Speaker 3: But this line you didn't visibly react to. Sorry, yes, but yeah.
Speaker 1: The monks were useful you. I kept worrying that the monks would.
Speaker 3: Be well, I worried that the monks would be evil because I was like, Okay, you established with the writer thing. I guess with the drawsy guys, you established there are missionaries to make me feel calm about the fact that there are random factions. Then you brought in these monks after having established there are missionaries on board. Now we also have some monks. Ah cool, I can just brush that off because we've already established their missionaries. If they were the only missionaries that if they were the only missionaries that we had show up, then I would be suspicious of them. But we already established there are some missionaries, so then the monks can slide under the radar. Then we didn't talk about them for fifteen to twenty minutes after establishing bombs is a thing, and I went okay, well, the monks showed up in a way that made me not think about them too much because I already had other missionaries. Then we had bombs and the monks seemed too good to be true. And then when she was like, I can get the monks to help with the bombing, I went, nope, never mind, We're fine, because at that point I was like, well, why what and why not just bringing the monks? If the monks are just chill ass monks, just bring But if you want me to not necessarily remember that the monks stick out as a total anomaly, prime me with the drowsy and then bringing them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's where I was at too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I was kind of operating under the whole like Bones thing where I'm like, whoever they interview first, is not it so if they interviewed yes, oh okay, yeah, it show bones.
Speaker 3: He is the second person they talked to in almost every episode.
Speaker 1: Yes, And then.
Speaker 3: They spend the entire episode investigating stuff that doesn't matter while they wait for a lab result to come back that they sent in ten minutes into the episode, and then the lab result comes back and it turns out it was the second person they talked to, who they thought had nothing to do with it. Yeah, I thought it was a bones thing kind.
Speaker 1: Of I understand. I understand you thinking it was a bones thing.
Speaker 4: I thought it was a bones thing.
Speaker 3: Monks are just they were just chill. I love them. I love the text because.
Speaker 7: That was kind of a thing for while in the nineties too, with like all those little crime shows and stuff where I was like, it's always the second person that they talked to.
Speaker 6: How much do we love Lanier telling a lie to get that guy off of him?
Speaker 3: Yes, that was absurd, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: Why, by the way, was that he had something called letters syndrome?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it's the executive producer of the show.
Speaker 3: Who also was the picture of Santiago.
Speaker 1: Yes to the president.
Speaker 2: And there's also been a mention in one of the episodes previous and somebody called somebody General Nett.
Speaker 4: You know, just yeah, got drop it in. That's cute.
Speaker 3: That's the other thing. I was like, why did we have a forty five second scene of Lanier being annoyed by a man and then he blew up, and I was like, to make.
Speaker 6: You remember you like him before they and it was It's also a moment of he's like, I'm leaving because I found that I'm sick and I have seven days to live. And while we all didn't really think that that was true, we also like had a moment of being like, oh my god, what what's going on with Linear? And then you're like, oh my god, he's lying. Of course Lanier's not going to die, and then ten seconds later you receive a good blown up.
Speaker 3: Right, it's false sense of security. You never feel secure for some reason. If Lanier had just shown up to open the door and then gotten blown up, I would have gone, well, he's gonna be fine because they're not going to kill him. Just there he is. You need to give me at least yeah, a second to be like.
Speaker 6: Ah, it's like the episode when you're going to kill somebody off of any any series, when they're like you're like, oh, this character's really getting a great episode, Like you find we find off.
Speaker 3: Fuck walking Dead, every every fucking walking down, every Walking Dead Dead.
Speaker 2: You can tell Buffy, uh, even Tasha are like the episode because she dies was a great Tasha your episode.
Speaker 7: Like, so yeah, skin of Evil, gotta make us care about him before you kill him, so their death has In fact.
Speaker 3: It's a good Tasha episode.
Speaker 2: It's a good Tasha episodes, necessarily a good episode.
Speaker 3: The evil oil Slick.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, also just a dick.
Speaker 3: That oil Slick had a lot in common with Bomby Bomby Bomber Bomberman met What the fun was his name? Carlson Bomberman, Carlson.
Speaker 6: Carlton, Sure, Carlton Carlson.
Speaker 1: Go on, yeah something? No, I like Daniels, I like.
Speaker 3: Uh, I don't, I don't know, it doesn't matter, it's all good. Jason Ironheart, we'll call him Jason Ironheart.
Speaker 4: No, that's too cool. Fact, wait, what I know?
Speaker 3: What joke is that Jason iron Heart was the first guy called Daniel.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's my name, a joke because his name is remember his name?
Speaker 4: I stand by that. I can't remember most names.
Speaker 3: It's so cool. It is really cool. Jason Ironheart, who was connected to Talia speaking of yeah, her boyfriend. We don't need to talk about Talia. She wasn't in this episode.
Speaker 4: Yes, we do are we always talking about?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, where where were you going? I've derailed the entire conversation.
Speaker 1: No, it's fine, I guess I wanted to.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 2: This episode has pretty much one linear plot pretty much, so it's a lot of places to go.
Speaker 3: As a linear plot, which is also a linear plot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, that's reminding me the joke that came up you know you you were. It's a kind of groany moment and a little bit nerve wracking moment every time that joke was brought up. It is referenced in the Lurker's Guide because it apparently was a thing that was happening at convention where people were making.
Speaker 1: Up how many light bulbs?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was a nod to this thing that was happening or not conventions, he said, I think it's online.
Speaker 3: That makes sense because he was plugged nod to the fandom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's sweet, yeah, he says.
Speaker 6: He says, uh, yeah, it was like it was all over the nets, the way he puts.
Speaker 4: It all over the nets. Yeah yeah, yeah, such a nineties way to say that.
Speaker 1: It would have been grew nets.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. Wow, that's hip and happening.
Speaker 2: Hip and happening, and you know, I'm trying to think of other nineties it was groovy and rad.
Speaker 1: Rad.
Speaker 6: It was rad.
Speaker 4: I still say, I still rad. We're not saying rad anymore.
Speaker 3: You say whatever they ran down if you want to.
Speaker 2: But it was definitely a thing we said in the nineties and if you were cool, I was just gonna say that scene with Londo and talking.
Speaker 1: To Lanier, it was, It's great, very like. It was a great scene.
Speaker 2: And as you said during the reaction, Jen like, it took its time and like let us sit I like those moments and where the camera just let you sit in the in the scene.
Speaker 1: And experience it. It's yeah, good and it was so well handled by Peter.
Speaker 4: Those guys.
Speaker 3: Listen, Peter Jurassic and Andreas Catsulas. Anytime they'rey in a scene alone or not, it's good. Yeah, it's always good.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 7: Anytime that Andreas and Peter ju is in a scene together, it's.
Speaker 4: It's an excellent.
Speaker 1: You're making me.
Speaker 6: Sleeping and I have to do a comedy show up this.
Speaker 4: I have to like, I'm making you sleepy?
Speaker 1: How too?
Speaker 4: I am relaxed? I am well away? Yeah, you know, sorry, that's such a vibe.
Speaker 3: I'm great actors Bill and uh claud Mirror, Oh my god, Garibaldi is.
Speaker 4: Jerry.
Speaker 3: It's Jerry Doyle, Mary Kay, Robert, Robert Ruler.
Speaker 4: Anyone know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: I'll do yes.
Speaker 2: But anyway, do you have any further thoughts about that scene or, like I said, the elevator seat, which is like it is a very very.
Speaker 4: They're really wonderful. I'm like, it's just good writing.
Speaker 3: I feel like elevator will be makes a lot of sense textually in all of the contexts where we've put them, because it's an enclosed space where you're trapped, right, that makes use. Yeah, it's a liminal space where you're trapped and you can't get away. But I also this is breaching, but I decided I wanted to look at this kind of metatexturally too. An elevator also goes up and down, which is an obvious thing to say, Gus, thank you for that. But Londo and Jakar's entire arcs is one of them is going up and one of them is going down. Yeah, and they consider they they view one another as opposite ends of a folkrum basically, where of a you know of a of a lever of seesaw whatever where if he goes up, I must be going down, and if I go up, he must be going down.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the fact that they have now had multiple episodes, multiple scenes in or near elevators with one another. I don't think it's just because it's a convenient spot. I feel like he's doing something you know, literary with that which I like.
Speaker 6: You And in this one it doesn't go anywhere. No, and their status in this one is very static, you know, like they come in and we would think Jakar should be low status. In this moment, he's citizen Jakar. He's not an ambassador. Malari has won everything, A lot of has won everything. But but it's a but he'd he has no fox left to give, and that gives that elevates his status and gives him some power in a really beautiful way. His stillness, I mean I loved him not speaking all through the beginning of that of like we should have done this, you should have done that, you know, like it was just like it was great until finally no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's another thing that you know we talked I mentioned earlier, the Jakar when near parallel. You can also parallel Jakar and Carlson, because both of them are of the opinion they have nothing left to lose. One of them is handling that significantly better than the other. Yeah, yes, that one, of course being Chakar, the first, the first one who is handling it better, but both of them. And look, no, no, obviously, fucking dick head McGee is suffering in many ways, but you know, he didn't get his planet bombed to the abyss and back by the Centaur. So not to not to compare apples and trauma, but you know.
Speaker 2: It is apples versus literal genocis one of them.
Speaker 1: Is somewhat worse than the other.
Speaker 6: Apples, the two genitors. So sorry, okay, yeah no, And now I'm like no, I mean now I'm like, okay, never mind. We have started the conversation by talking about the name Jennifer and how many Jennifers there were when Jenny and I were growing up, and then I've always been like, oh, I'm going to write a show called Generation X, but Jen er and then thank you. But now I'm like, wait, everything is jen Jenna's side. I'm like I never did that math before, and now I'm sad, so.
Speaker 7: Is genuine thank you.
Speaker 2: And Jen you flexed, you flexed, and gentle and yet general generous general. Yes, it's all good, it's all good. But another note from the Lurkers Guide, just because people were asking about the shield, sorry, the shot with the explosion, and people were assuming like there were effects, and I mean, obviously it's an effect, but it was a practical effect. It says, here's how that shot was done. We built a miniature hallway and then in parentheses, yea miniature ain't the right word. It was something like thirty feet long or more painted it so it looked exactly like the regular B five hallway and on film you can't tell the difference. Then he mounted the hallway vertically alongside the outside of the building so that the fire ball would come up towards the camera. He set the camera at the top pointing down the hall and that's pretty much how that shot.
Speaker 3: Oh that's cool, Yeah, that's very cool.
Speaker 6: That's really great.
Speaker 3: Speaking of explosions, can we talk about the fucking Looney Tunes ass trapped bomb at what that was? Like the most cheese under a box explosion I've ever seen in my wife, Like Wow, there's some cool stuff in air. You didn't need to close the box. That was unnecessary. That what the fuck is this guy's problem? My life sucks. I'm gonna go kill the poor What a dick?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: What an asshole?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just gonna say people who bomb.
Speaker 7: If you're like, I don't say this is a realistic thing, but this guy isn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's certain thought processes that I don't understand, Like I don't Genovia.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I can't stop. Thank you, I'm sorry, I can't stop.
Speaker 6: Wait. As long as we're going with Genovia, I might as well.
Speaker 4: Just yea, I have a uh, everyone should have one. That's awesome.
Speaker 6: I'm wearing this for the rest of the if you're if you're listening, Charlie, I'm wearing the ti RRA that I got at walk On last year for being in the Green Nausea.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. It has nice green jewels and everything is great. Why are we I not in the green Ajia? But I should get a try anyway.
Speaker 3: You can animate yourself at Tiara.
Speaker 2: I actually very easily could. There is one built into this program. But yeah, any other wait, but that t r O.
Speaker 1: Ed. There would be would have.
Speaker 7: To be one episode of this show where we're all in trs and we say nothing about it.
Speaker 4: We say nothing about it. I'm down. Oh my god, I have two trs. Gus can have one.
Speaker 3: You know, if you if you were wearing that Tiara in various provinces that were French and you had guards, they would be called gen dar.
Speaker 4: Okay, we were all.
Speaker 7: Mad at me, you're me for doing it, and now we.
Speaker 6: Were never mad at you.
Speaker 7: I have to go get my Okay, Charlie.
Speaker 3: Charlie is in sham, Charlie.
Speaker 6: We're really messed up today. We're doing a lot of things on care.
Speaker 1: World too many. Tiara's going about.
Speaker 3: Okay, Alie's gone. You guys want to tell me a bunch of spoiler.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Marcus was the one off.
Speaker 3: Marcus, Marcus Keffer, mar Marcus Kefer, everybody.
Speaker 2: I'll tell an anecdote while she's gone because the missionary position reminded me of this very scary first job. Yeah, my very first job in Korea had this horrible boss. In my entire life, I've never met anybody who was as overtly misogynistic to the point that he literally told me to my face that I don't like women and I'm never going to hire another woman. And I don't like you because you remind me of my wife and my wife is stupid, and wow, like it was the weirdest thing. He told me that, And I told one of my coworkers or my co workers, and they were all like, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: And then he had a meeting.
Speaker 2: Oh and he told me that in a meeting where he was asking me to sign on and stay with him.
Speaker 1: Wow, was weird.
Speaker 2: And then he had a meeting with another woman teacher did the same thing, and she came out and like, Jenny, I thought you were joking.
Speaker 1: Like, no, he fully did that.
Speaker 2: Or one of our male coworkers went to our boss and told him, like, you have to stop telling the women that you don't like women, because weirdly, they don't like that. He was like, so weird, Okay, it's weird. And so he had a meeting with the third teacher after that. He's like, and David, teacher told me that I shouldn't tell you that I don't like women, but I.
Speaker 1: Don't like women. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I'm telling you all of this just to let you know how much we hated this guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we were.
Speaker 2: We were at a like it was not a Christian hogwe it was a regular secular hogwe but he was a Christian and and he one day for Easter had a pastor come in and.
Speaker 3: Way had a pastor come in.
Speaker 2: Yes, he had a pastor come in and give a talk. And we were like, you shouldn't have a pastor come in because it's a secular school, Like that's not okay, and but he was insisting that he was going to do it. And he was like, but I don't know what to call when the pastor talks. And David, because he was on our side and hated him even though he was whatever, He's like, you know what you call it when a pastor talks, and you call it a missionary position. He was like, ah, yes, so the pastor will come and give a missionary position. And during the missionary position, all of everybody should.
Speaker 3: This guy sucks, Sally, It's okay, yeah, yeah, somebody raging misogynist.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, raging misogynists talking aboutary physician and everybody.
Speaker 1: Was just behind his back and it was great.
Speaker 4: That's incredible.
Speaker 3: Now I know Jen has a heart out, I do.
Speaker 1: But we all have to have crowns.
Speaker 4: It was very everyone has a heart out with a missions.
Speaker 3: Anything else was talking about your children's TV.
Speaker 4: Never getting hired again, not my adult show, not the show I'm jo running.
Speaker 3: Anything else to talk about from us? This episode was a banger.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, it's a really it's a really good episode.
Speaker 4: It's a really good episode.
Speaker 6: Anybody do want to say though? It was a really good episode. And while at the beginning I was saying like it was kind of a one off, it was kind of a one off, but it was also like it was what he wanted to knew all along, was this kind of character work, Like one off episode is so that he can develop those characters and give them these moments. So you write the unibomber episode and then you make it really about like a new a new place in Jakar and Londo's relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, giving us a chance to see their internal what they're where they are at LANDI or we should probably talk a little bit about Lanier.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he got blown up, but he was okay, Yeah, he's a good.
Speaker 4: Dude, and he was like, I worry that I barred against the Maybe I.
Speaker 3: Should have let him die. No, I don't think it would have been better if you'd let him die. I don't think he's run the show. Worse I think is worse. I think that's probably true, but I think that worse.
Speaker 4: You've never committed a single.
Speaker 6: War crime.
Speaker 2: That we know.
Speaker 4: We know, we take it. What did you do.
Speaker 8: In your three years?
Speaker 4: You need a work for menu. What did you do?
Speaker 8: Did you.
Speaker 4: You didn't even see all beauty's being right now.
Speaker 3: I can feel so cute.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, you're the cutest boy I ever did. Shay the cutest boy. Shay, look good your face?
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 7: See now other dogs look weird to me because he's got such a big head. Now when I see other dogs and like, what what happened in your head?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: When is it some narrow.
Speaker 9: I'm so used to his big head an old person's bicycle.
Speaker 3: Shade Yeller did good?
Speaker 6: Yeah, but also I wanted someone to tell him so his whole thing is like, I don't know if I did the right thing. Maybe I didn't do the right thing, Like you know I did it because life is valuable. Nobody said that Londo was sitting by your bedside for hours and hours.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, nobody told him that.
Speaker 6: I told him that, and I'm like, you know, and I was like, yeah.
Speaker 3: The joke, but he may not remember where he heard the joke exactly.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 3: Also, he was like, please don't let the Centaury government give me a medal I do not want.
Speaker 6: Also, why did doctor Franklin know the joke? He wasn't there when Londo told him. The joke going around, you.
Speaker 4: Know, anti Centaury sentiment might be.
Speaker 3: I think that's fine.
Speaker 1: In the that was the whole thing that was, like, Londo, I probably shouldn't tell you this joke because it's anti sentartic. That's probably GRAVI station Welckham exactly, Blockham because like I started the Jokelckham. Okay, yes, all right, I do think that might be.
Speaker 3: It's Blockhom like our crown.
Speaker 4: We should do this every time.
Speaker 2: I have a whole like list of effects. I could, like have a wolf.
Speaker 1: Hat I have. There's so many ways to put on my head and I never do and you've.
Speaker 4: Never done it. No, that's not fair. We don't have enough wolves for everybody. That's true.
Speaker 3: It's not a wolf.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: No, both of us have the same Oh yeah, you're right.
Speaker 6: Look at that that I know that's twin.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're so like Jen, that's crazy. We just get more like as time goes on.
Speaker 6: Oh see this guy, see the inside guy's ears are both flapped down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they're both good.
Speaker 6: You're so pretty good son. Mine are really now squashy.
Speaker 9: Yeah, look at your face. You have never done it anything wrong in your life. You you are if you were running the show.
Speaker 3: Everyone, we should let you guys to look get him.
Speaker 4: He's so perfect.
Speaker 6: All right, all right, we're gonna talk about it.
Speaker 3: It's a great episode. Have fun talking about This was a load bearing episode by my friends. You have reached the most dangerous part of our journey, the Gray Council. Here we speak of things that must not be spoken.
Speaker 1: Secrets, betrayals, spoilers.
Speaker 3: If you are not ready, turned back now. But if you dare to proceed, I promise you it will be manificent. We forget a baldy.
Speaker 6: Well, let's see, I mean there was like, there isn't a ton to talk about it. I mean, well, yes, there is a little bit, because the monks are gonna stick around.
Speaker 2: That's the only thing that really I feel like, we have to talk about it, and I shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Have said that I reflected.
Speaker 6: Did I reflect it?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I appreciated you to reflec ticket.
Speaker 2: Yes, although to be quite frank, Gus might know this, yeah, because I don't know if you remember this right when we started, like before we actually even recorded, yeah, or maybe after we recorded like a couple of episodes. Dus sent me a message saying that he had a really good friend who wants to be on the episode with the.
Speaker 6: Monks, so right, and you said you didn't know which one, yes, because so yeah.
Speaker 2: It was this was like two years ago whatever, this is before we started, yes, And so he might have it in the back of his mind that there are more than one ye monk episode.
Speaker 6: Yes, because you were you were like, I'm not sure what that means, exactly what does it mean? And then he came through and told you exactly which one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I had to be like, I had to ask for clarification because yeah, there are multiple episodes with monks.
Speaker 1: Technically we already.
Speaker 6: Had monks last season though, because we did have the downstairs the down below monks that were singing.
Speaker 2: Yes like that, yes, and it is specified Yeah, yeah, and it is specified in the Lurker's Guide that they are not the same months, and obviously, I mean these months come from from other places.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but that was it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah he might though, Yeah, I don't know, because, like you said, that was like it was a while ago and I'm gonna have to But also I.
Speaker 6: Think, yeah, gusin Ellie being becoming savvyer nineties watchers, you know, you and I both know too, Like there was just a gravitas to that character. I mean, you know, you know the actors is the actor who played Draw, but there was a gravitas to his character coming in and just sort of like he just sort of took command of the scenes he was in in a really beautiful way and but also in a way of like we'll be seeing you again next week, like you know what i mean, like get at some point, like I mean, whether I'm sure that JMS was like, yeah, you're going to be around for a few when he brought and he even says in the Lurkers Guide, you know, when he couldn't come back as Drawl, we really knew we wanted to get him in for an even better part, and now we have, so he kind of gives it up right there as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean maybe it's like it's hard for me to say because obviously I've seen him in this role.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I feel like this hits him better.
Speaker 6: Yeah I did. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only other thing I like, like, there's not much future stuff to talk about, but the only the one that I could think of is they said Proxima three, like, uh, the bomber guy had bombed on Proxima three and GUSCINALI jumped to lease, right, and I don't know, Lisa is on Mars.
Speaker 1: Proximate three is a completely different colin Yeah, I don't know. Well, maybe they're thinking it's Mars.
Speaker 6: Well then I had the moment of thinking like because that was the one that I didn't watch with you guys, right, But then I was like, wait, am I confused?
Speaker 2: But yeah, okay, no, yeah, so I was confused by why they did. But I guess you know, if we actually didn't have a colony on Mars, there would be things on Mars that would be named stuff like that. But no, I know that Proxima three is another colony because it actually is irrelevant. It is relevant that it's another colony in future episodes.
Speaker 6: So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was just like, what why are you okay, Lese, all right, why okay, I'll let it go.
Speaker 6: They just want to get a rise out of you. And I say, Lise's that's.
Speaker 1: What it is. That's what it is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, that's right. The other thing that I thought was like that we didn't it, which is interesting because of course it's not surprising, but like, so we had Jeff Conaway listed as main cast in the last episode, but he did almost nothing in the last episode. Was he even in the last episode?
Speaker 1: In the first like the first yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: So then so then he shows up in this one and we're like, oh, we're gonna get some good kiniki, and we got a lot of good kiniki in the first three minutes and then nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh we didn't.
Speaker 2: We didn't actually even talk about this in the in the because the episode got so good after that. I do like that first part, but there is a lot of cultural insensitivity in the humor that happened at the beginning. Yeah, like I don't know the name of every god from another culture, so I might pronounce it.
Speaker 6: But like the dismissiveness, the dismissiveness of Garbaldi, and then Garibaldi doing it was one thing, and then can I be doing it with another different, wrong version of it? Like my boss doesn't care, so I don't care either, And I was just like there was so many elements of like such nineties culture of like other ing and xenophobia and yeah and yeah it was really yeah really, But.
Speaker 2: I did appreciate the way he deflected them from poking him, though, because I would also like, okay, and I want to respect your culture, but don't poke me right, like, well it wasn't just my culture.
Speaker 6: It is like that. It was interesting too, like although I do wish that he had said I wasn't in I wasn't in the atrium, but that plant was like, but instead he said I don't feel like sharing it. I was like, yeah, I don't want to share my bloss here me lasting, which is also just a fun line. I mean, truthfully, a funny line. But it's like you're a dick cherry blessing.
Speaker 1: None of the poking me.
Speaker 6: This is true, this is true. Well this is interesting though, but like this show. Right after that, and we had the guy with linear touching his bald head and that's true. And we've had it in the past too, from like boomshah Baaba to Doctor Franklin like touching her bud and like whatever. Like we just we have this like very tall, touchy culture in the nineties. Yes, but it like yeah, there's yeah, I'm uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Just I'm wondering. Yeah, I'm wondering.
Speaker 2: Like there, I said this to you, like before we even started recording, I said this to you at Walcard. Like the way that acting has evolved over time, you can see it, and I'm wondering if some of that is like you know, if you watch theater, everything is larger than life and they have to over exaggerate it. I feel like acting has become more and more subtle. I guess as our cameras and our ts. So like this might be just a progression of like we need to show the invasiveness. At a current show, they might just show somebody people standing too close and lurking, but in a previous show, we have to show how they're being invasive. Oh there has to be physical content.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yes, I would agree with that. I would agree with that. I mean I think that as part of it is like the television at the time was a little more show. We like, it was a little more telegraphing the things that you needed to telegraph. But I think so we got called out on this. One's in comments on YouTube, and I want to I'm going to just like, I want to set to set it to rights here a little bit, because this isn't what we intend to. When we said this, we were like, people aren't repeat viewing, or or someone accused us of saying, like, what do you mean right, or what do you mean people weren't aren't repeat viewing television In the nineties, they absolutely did. Yes, reruns were a real thing. That's how I saw half about the Babylon five was in reruns because I would like, I wasn't consistently watching it every week, and I caught some of it over the summer, and I caught some of it when they were in LA like five weeks or three weeks of really so yeah and so, and like when it was like sometimes out of sequence, and then I was like, what's going on? And so no, people absolutely rewatched. And yes, of course by the late nineties people had VCRs and they were like, I mean, you know, there were shows that I was programming and like recording every week because you didn't want to miss it, and so if you weren't going to be there, you had to record it. So people were absolutely repeat watching. But it wasn't like today. It wasn't like binging where you could watch it so fast that you didn't forget what happened three episodes ago, because it hasn't been six weeks. You watched it yesterday, And people can so easily just be like, wait, what did they say in that last episode that is relevant?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 6: Hang on, and you just go you jump back and you watch it, and that level of that level of being able to suss out, like we can just be a lot more subtle today and we can hide things and and or can confuse us for a few episodes because people watch differently, and you know, and they expect that. And in the nineties people, I'm not saying we expected to be spoon fed, but people expected that you'd have to repeat something because someone missed last week's episode because they because because it was graduation, you know, like people just missed stuff and they didn't get it recorded and they couldn't just go back and watch it. So you had to in the same way that this always makes me crazy, but I'm gonna here's a wheel of time reference. But in the first several Wheel of Time books, you know, Jordan re explains everything at the beginning.
Speaker 1: Here's the higher magic system and Randolph.
Speaker 6: Floor is a tall boy with red hair, and you're like, I've.
Speaker 2: Read the other floor, so you know, stop explaining to me about side R and side eaed.
Speaker 6: I know exactly. It's definitely there was a little bit of that too, because you would pick up new viewers in ninety five, like starting the show and fall of ninety five, you'd be picking up new viewers who weren't there in the beginning and then who wanted to watch the other ones, but they weren't necessarily easily available, so you did have to catch them up. And yeah, and so anyway, like again, like with last week's beautiful exposition by Ivanava being like blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, I fucking pay attention.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, because I very much noticed it in the last episode. And that is like the huge difference now is to me, what the huge difference now is nobody misses episodes like if you if I don't watch, if I can't watch the next episode or an episode because of graduation or whenever I miss it this week, and I can watch it like in two weeks.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to start with this week's episode.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go back and watch the other episodes because they're there, Yeah, which is like that's they're all. Every episode is always available to you, and so that especially the serialized television network television tends. The network television shows that I know of tend to be one off shows. You got your lawn, Like, you don't need to watch every law in order to understand a law and order.
Speaker 6: Which is why you can get twenty seasons of something like JAG or Law and Order, because you're like, I know the characters well enough, and I know that every episode is gonna just like I don't have to know everything from the last episode to follow along. Yeah, and that's why those shows running for so long. People love that too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well that I mean law like shows like Law and Order or like whatever those are My I'm putting them on because they're comforting. It's like we're gonna catch the bad guy. I really don't need to pay attention. They'll just tell me what's happening, and so that's what that is. Yes, anyway, we should Babylon five this episode, Like I said, not that because it is a one up, but it's to me, it's such a good one up because it's such a It deeps into their character and you see that you still see that there is good in Lawndo, which I guess. I guess that's necessary to like to keep to remind us of that because we're gonna we're gonna have to. You don't have to. You can just completely give up on him and continue the story. But I feel like, but.
Speaker 6: That doesn't as he starts, Yeah, we care because of where his story is going, and we care about you know, yeah, like you could. Well, I mean, I've I've made this connection before, I've made this, I've made this, I've talked about this before. But it's a Jamie Lanister of it. Like he started so horrible that once we started realizing we were actually rooting for him and caring about him, we were like, oh, what's wrong with me that I like this guy? And then but which is a really interesting twist. It's the opposite of Londo because we all loved his clownishness at the beginning, and then all of a sudden, here we are like saying he can't be redeemed, he can't be redeemed, he's horrible. But instead what we're seeing is that he's like we want, we want, we wanted to, We still want him to be redeemed, we still want his redemption. And when he does things like sip Bylinear's thing and like just quietly monologue, I'll I'm going to let you talk, but if you don't, I'm gonna talk, you know, like, it's just beautiful and we want that person to be redeemed. And it's also hope for all of us very fucking the horrible thing that we've done, which hopefully are not nearly as bad as London's work crime again exactly hopefully, but you know, hopefully. Nonetheless, we do, you know, we do, we do hope that that there will be that we can all be forgiven or redeemed at some point.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly, And yeah, I think like something like this episode is necessary. I'm just remembering things that Londo does and says later on, it's just like, oh yeah, if we don't have reminders of that, he has like like something in him that is still good. There's like scenes later on where he talks like a new representative from narn is sent to Babylon five, and he very callously asks him questions like some are the work camps going? Well, like, it's just so you would he would be irredeemable if they didn't.
Speaker 1: Every once in a while, just like a little bump of you like him.
Speaker 2: Remember, okay, now you can Okay, I just remember this is in him, remember, so yeah, Yeah, people were talking about the floating crime the floating cameras in the lookers guys, Yeah, I didn't see did you see them? No?
Speaker 6: I think I was trying to figure out what they were talking about, because he this is one of those things that he's like responding to something that we don't know what was said or asked exactly. He says, what are the floating discs and the crime scene? I didn't see them either, Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I didn't see them. He does reply to that by saying, like, they're not gravity defying, they're made of extremely ultra light material with fans, and they're zoo like they're drawing. Yeah, but I didn't see them, and I'm not visual. I've said this a bajillion times. I don't notice small things often, and I I just didn't notice it. And this time around, I was like prime to know to him because I read this ahead.
Speaker 6: And Allie and gust didn't say anything, and that that's like Gus would normally catch that in a heartbeat. I think they were not very I wonder if they were taken out of this version. No, never, no, they were.
Speaker 1: I truly don't know. I truly don't know.
Speaker 2: He's talking about the bomber here and he says, it's not like everybody knew he was a certified nut case.
Speaker 1: At the time.
Speaker 2: He didn't have and I did to car that said certified netcase. He worked as a station maintenance. Nobody knew Timothy McVeagh was a knot until he drew up a bill.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 2: But it just irritates me that people talk about it, like we don't know I was a racist. He was a racist white supersis. Yeah, it's just this again. At this time, I don't know what people knew, but it's known now.
Speaker 6: I feel like we knew Mike. Maybe I'm wrong, I mean, didn't we know he was associated with the Michigan militia pretty quickly. I don't I feel like we did. I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he says, Doug, that would be Doug Lissenetter. Doug's reaction to Netter's syndrome was amused, chagrined, and the promise of swift and terrible revenge.
Speaker 6: You gotta enjoy that.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: The only other thing I think that I want to mention here is we're two episodes in, granted, but Jmus did write the last I think four or five episodes of the previous season. He wrote everything from Knives on out or everything after Knives.
Speaker 6: I think you write knives.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm waiting for them to catch on that. It's like it's a yet another jam.
Speaker 6: They still don't say it. They still haven't. They'll have it, I know, I know. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that's that's the only thing I'm I'm curious about when it's going to happen at a certain point. If they don't bring it up, we're gonna have to tell them.
Speaker 1: But we will, we will. Yeah. So yeah, he wrote knives.
Speaker 2: Okay, so yeah, everything that that would be the last is how many episodes in the last season.
Speaker 1: So he wrote the last six episodes of last season and then this the first and then from here on out.
Speaker 6: So yeah, okay, yeah, yeah, they're gonna they're gonna catch out soon, they like, if we get a few more, and they'll have to be like yeah, but they didn't they. I thought they mentioned it or noticed it tonight, but we didn't really talk about it. But it also felt like such a JMS episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very much so.
Speaker 2: And I don't like, I feel like it makes it's not notable that he's writing the first episode or the first few, because that feels right, that's what a show run.
Speaker 1: The showrunner wants to set the tone.
Speaker 6: And yeah, of course, of course, yeah yeah, although I mean it doesn't like necessarily by season three. That shouldn't have to be the case. I mean in season one for sure, but you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: That's it unless you have something.
Speaker 6: No, I have nothing else. I have nothing else.
Speaker 1: No, you got to get to yourself to a comedy show. I know. Yes, So that's it. Uh for this episode, it's a bit of a shorter one.
Speaker 2: I will apologize general say, no, it's good, dudes, that's what happened last time anyway. But yeah, you can always check out our Reaction, which is up on YouTube. You can go to our Patreon and get an unedited version of the reaction, and there's also extra stuff that we drop up there sometimes as well. You get AD free versions of the audio version of this podcast. You get that uh secret secret channel in the discord, super secret. Never any we have very secret conversations anyway. And yeah, like subscribe, rate, review, hype us up, and.
Speaker 1: We'll see you next time.
Speaker 6: See you next time.
Speaker 1: Babylon the