Speaker 1: Hey there, fellow travelers. Our twenty twenty five Silmarillion journey continues with chapter twelve of Quintusilmarillion of Men. Yes. Chapter twelve introduces a mysterious new intelligent species to Middle Earth, the Atani, that is, the mortal people of mankind, and speaks of their first contact with the elves of bealeriond Over the next several months will continue revisiting the entire thirty episode Selm Million series that Greta and I recorded back in twenty twenty two. While you're listening, check out Silmguide dot com. That's Silmguide dot com for guides to individual chapters. You can find that link in the show notes. To support our work here, please visit Patreon dot com slash Tolkien Road Enjoy. Hey there, fellow travelers, Welcome to The Tolkien Road, Episode two ninety one. Greta, you ready for a manly discussion?
Speaker 2: A manly discussion?
Speaker 1: Yes? Oh it's a discussion of men.
Speaker 2: Oh right, yeah, well then I guess I am wow. Absolutely good.
Speaker 1: In this episode, we will be discussing chapter twelve of the sommer Million of Men of Men. Yes, men, yeah, not really great for the search engine you know, it's not really like any interesting keywords in there. It's just like of men talking about of men.
Speaker 2: All right, maybe maybe if you put mice in.
Speaker 1: There, Oh well, then it would be a John Steinbeck podcast.
Speaker 2: That's why it sounds familiar. Yeah, okay, moving.
Speaker 1: On, moving on, all right, before we get started, we'd like to give a double up air five to our patrons. Get them up there, you've been duly warned. Three to two one woops boom special thanks to this episode's executive producers, John R. Caitlin of t with Tolkien and Jacob Lockham, and a shout out to our newest patron, Michael W who made an annual pledge.
Speaker 2: Nice thanks Michael, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much. Appreciate your generous pledge. And just as we appreciate all of our patrons their generous pledging for sure, welcome to their ranks, the ranks of the generous. All right, Hey, YouTube can become a extremely good looking, generous patron by visiting patreon dot com slash Tolkien road with that too, patronizing. I'm patronizing our patrons right doing so, get you cool perks like twenty percent off of everything at true misspress dot com. Plus, your financial support helps The Tolkien Road to keep on everring on. Learn more at patreon dot com slash Tolkien Road. Yeah do it hey YouTube, Hit that like button, don't forget to subscribe and let us know what's on your mind. And the comments below also drop us five stars. If you're a fan of The Tolkien Road on iTunes or wherever it is you listen to podcasts, right, give us that high rating and tell the world while you love us, right, we love reading those things on air, so your comments on air so makes us feel all special and warm and fuzzy inside. So all right, hey, live stream, So sorry about April. We've had a whole lot going on for the last month, and every time we tried to get something on the schedule, something came up, and we thought we had it ready to go at last night, which was you know this, so that would have been May fifth. The evening of May fifth was all right, we're gonna do it May fifth, and we just had too much going on and could make it happen. So we do apologize. Thank you all for understanding. Hopefully, hopefully we'll be able to do an extra long live stream towards the end of.
Speaker 2: May, and we just want to make sure that we're always giving you guys our best, and sometimes we just we just don't have it and we don't want to gyp you guys. So we appreciate you understanding, and we look forward to doing a marathon. Maybe should we say a marathon live stream of May to May marriage.
Speaker 1: It's going to be literally twenty six point two hours. Twenty six point two.
Speaker 2: I meant it more.
Speaker 1: Figure it, oh, like, in terms of how long it takes you to run a marathon, I got you so like four hours.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Could I do a marathon in four hours?
Speaker 1: Probably neither one of us could do a marathon at all, so you might be able to pull one off. I definitely could not do a whole marathon at this point right now. Maybe if I trained for a long time. You run a lot, though.
Speaker 2: So do so I don't run super long distances though, so, so.
Speaker 1: Just to punish ourselves, I will be here on the live stream and Gretel will be live streaming separately while she runs a.
Speaker 2: Mara there you go, Oh that's fun. Or we could just live stream while I run. It doesn't have to be a marathon.
Speaker 1: I like the marathon idea. It was your suggestion. I'm just saying I'm the one that brought it up. All right, enough of that nonsense. We'll get We'll make it up to you guys. You know, it's just really busy for us right now. Hopefully that's going to be all over, you know, here in the next few weeks. The big things that got us extra busy right now are going to be kind of smooth, steady state in a few weeks, and we'll be able to do a nice longer one at the end of May. So thank you for understanding it, guess, thank you, all right. Tolkien Quote of the Week. So early in chapter twelve, which would be the chapter that we are currently in, to Hilldorian, there came no Vala to guide men, or to summon them to dwell in valen Or. And men have feared the Valor rather than love them, and have not understood the purpose of the powers, being at variance with them and at strife with the world. So yeah, I thought that was a interesting little thought that the Vala did not really aid men when they awoke, and as they did the elves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely some preferential treatment going on, I would say, and the men in return really didn't have much love for the Valor.
Speaker 1: Ye, well, more fear, you know, and fear well to some degrae. I feel like that's what happened with elves initially until the Valar showed up, right, you know, the Melkor kind of like convinced them that they should fear, you know, fear the Valar.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we'll talk more about this shortly. Well, let's dive into chapter twelve. So, with the sun having risen upon Middle Earth for the first time, we finally meet the younger children of a Luvatar men. In chapter twelve, we'll learn about the awakening of men, discover the various names given to men by the Eldar, explore the relationship between men and the Valar, and much more. And as with each episode, we won't be covering every detail of this chapter, but instead doing our best to hit the high points and unpack interesting and important details. If we miss something, you guys want to discuss more, let us know. So timeline, where are we on the timeline of the Middle Earth history? So using the War the Jewels here, which is the eleventh volume of the History of Middle Earth series. This particular chapter really is dated to Year of the Sun one, which is Year of the Trees fifteen hundred. So, as we will learn shortly, this is the moment at which Middle Earth history is broken off from the from counting in terms of the year of the Trees, years of the Trees to the years of the Sun. Right, so we kind of begin a new timeline. It's almost like a BCAD thing, okay, except just not like counting down BC two AD. It's like just one group of years of numbering sequences and then it starts a new one. So this is Year of the Trees fifteen hundred slash Year of the Sun one. So there you go.
Speaker 2: Good deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right.
Speaker 2: So so wait, so Year of the Sun one that's what marks the coming of men?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yeah, cool. So let's let's read a little bit of from the opening here about the second spring of Arda. So, Greta, would you like to read this highlighted.
Speaker 2: Paradigm, be delighted? From this time forth we reckon the years of the Sun. Swifter and briefer are they than the long years of the trees and ballenorme In that time, the air of Middle Earth became heavy with the breath of growth and mortality, and the changing and aging of all things was hastened exceedingly. Life teamed upon the soil and in the waters in the second Spring of Arda, and the Eldar increased, and beneath the new sun Balarion grew green and fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the second Spring of Arda, the the elder increased. But as do really all things, right, and the growth and mortality increase as well, right, So, and that's all with the coming of the Sun, with the coming of the Sun upon Middle Earth. So and these years are, as you know, you've probably picked up on by now, the years of the sun are are quicker, right than the years of the trees. So one year of the sun, I'm sorry, one year of the trees is equivalent to ten years of the sun. So a year of the sun is one tenth roughly of a year of the trees. So yeah, So with this rising of the Sun we meet men. And it says that they awaken in kind of the far east, the eastward regions of Middle Earth, in a land called hill Dorian. Right, So I was thinking about this name, and it turns out, well, Hill Dorian probably just means the land of the followers, right, So, because it says just after this we're gonna get to the names here, but it says that men were one of their names given to them by the Eldar were the Hilldor, right, the followers, and this is hill in right, So land the followers. Yeah, it's in the far east. And of course initially they experienced the sun rising in the west, right. We talked about that last chapter, this phenomenon of the sun rising in the west initially, and so they're drawn, they're drawn westward, initially towards you know, really towards Vaalin or Okay, and and they wander over the earth, you know, for some period of time. Now, as far as their names go, I'm gonna read this one, Greta, because I know you you struggle with the namings as do I, and not great at it. But you know, I know you you're always like.
Speaker 2: Self conscious about mispronunciation.
Speaker 1: Well, whenever you're going up against Tolkien, you know, and his words, his special words, you're always a little like I get self conscious too, right, But I'll read this all right, So what were the some of the names and what do they mean? The Atani. They were named by the Eldar, the second people, but they called them also Hildor, the followers, and many other names apan Onnar, the afterborn, Ngwar, the sickly, and Fierimar, the mortals, and they named them the Usurpers, the strangers and the inscrutable, the self cursed, the heavy handed, the night fears, the children of the Sun. So it strikes me that most of these names are not really like very friendly names. They're complimentary, they're not They're kind of derogatory. Yeah, yeah, what do you think?
Speaker 2: No, I totally agree. I know when I was reading this the first time, I was like, oh, not a whole lot of love lost between these these two races here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's almost like they're highlighting all the ways in which men are different and maybe even inferior to the elves, right, like they came. They're followers, not leaders, right, they're the second out the first. They are sick, all right, they're mortal. Elves are immortal, Yeah, Usurper, stranger, I mean it's really the self curse. Yeah, I mean I don't think there's any The only one that's maybe mildly positive would be Children of the Sun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to say, Children of the Sun has a has a nice ring to it, but then again, and in the mouths of the elves, it might not be so positive, right. You know, the sun is a pretty new thing to.
Speaker 2: Them, right, and they kind of prefer the moonlight.
Speaker 1: Well, and they're calling them the night fearers. It's like, well, why are you so afraid of the night, like because the elves, you know, are like, well we like the night right.
Speaker 2: Right exactly. It's like they want to make make it extremely obvious that these people are different than them. They really they really want to not have any association or be confused with them at any you.
Speaker 1: Know, that's right, Yeah, that's right. So, yeah, we've got a lot of different names for them. The most common one we're going to find is just the Atani, right, That's the one that we'll see the most often repeated. And I believe that when we get later on that names like the Adine right are somewhat derivative of Atani, right. So, and that's not I mean, they were technically the second people, right they you know, it's not necessarily now again, if that becomes a classism thing or like a you know, pecking order kind of thing that can be a problem. But but you know, in one sense they are like it's like, you know, just one generation comes after the other. One group of one group of people came after the other group of people, right, so they were the second people in that sense. Yeah, so anyway, but we definitely detect I think the takeaway here is we detect a very solid, a very strong theme of elves tending to look down upon men. Right, in general, It's not always true, but in general yep. So all right, well what of this? So we alluded to earlier, this issue of the men and the valal Aur and how they relate to one another. So what's going on here? Greta? Maybe you can give this paragraph? All right? Yeah, this passage here read for us.
Speaker 2: Sure, the Hildurian there came. I was giving it to see if they are already crazy words, and then I just messed up the very first easy one.
Speaker 1: Okay, John helped me up from.
Speaker 2: My gosh, man, Okay, try this again. To Hildorian, there came no Valor to guide men or to summon them to dwell in Valenor. And men have feared the Valor rather than loved them, and have not understood the purposes of the powers, being at variance with them and at strife with the world. All mo nonetheless took thought for them, aiding the counsel and will of Manwey, and his messages came often to them by stream and flood. But they have not skill in such matters, and still less had they in those days before they had mingled with the elves. Therefore they loved the waters, and their hearts were stirred, but they understood not the messages. Yet it is told that ere long they met dark elves in many places, and were befriended by them, And men became the companions and disciples in their childhood of these ancient folk, wanderers of the Elvin race, who never set out upon the paths to Eleanor and knew of the Valar only as a rumor and a distant name.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, once again, as we read in that opening quote, they Valar really never came to men to guide them, as they did with the elves, and that's resulted in this distrust, this fear of the Valar on behalf of most men. Of course, who is it of the Valar that really has a heart for them? It's Almo good Almo, Right, And you know, I really loved this idea. Well, and I should say this, We got a little credit to Manway because it says that Alma was aiding the counsel and will of Manway, so it's they were sending messages to them, but it says it came by stream, by stream and flood. Yeah, and they weren't really capable of understanding these men.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I would understand messages sent by stream and flood, would you?
Speaker 1: No? No, I wouldn't, especially if it was flood, because I'd be like, what's up with all the flood? Right? That's not very nice.
Speaker 2: We've been through one major flood here in Nashville twenty ten and we didn't get hit nearly as hard as a lot of other people, but even the little bit of damage we did suffer, it was kind of like, what's up with this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not cool? Not cool, not cool, not cool. So nevertheless, I really like this idea that Olmo was trying to communicate with them, right, And because I do, I feel like that, and I think we see this theme throughout in different parts of the film really too. But I feel like the theme I feel whenever I'm close to like a body of water or something like that, there's a certain piece that comes over you, like when you're close when you're on the shores of the sea or something like that. Like, you know, it's a piece, it's a it's a peaceful place to be. It puts you in a different mindset. It does make you feel And this is really just kind of an ambiguous thing to say, but it just makes me feel more spiritual when I'm close to the sea, right, and even close to just a body of water, you know, you go out in the nature, close to a river or.
Speaker 2: Something like that, it's very aesthetic about it too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something that just makes you feel a little fills you with a little more peace than maybe not being close to the water does. So I think there, you know, I think Tolkien's maybe latching onto that idea. And we're gonna see that Almo does communicate, he can, he continues to communicate to all of the children of Blue Baitar through the waters. Right. So anyway, I it's it's very non not very well defined here, but I really like the idea that that this portrays at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I agree, and I think it's interesting too that you know that that they mentioned even though they didn't understand these messages, their hearts were stirred, like they had great love for the water, even though they couldn't quite understand that there was that there were messages in it maybe. Yeah, so there was even if they couldn't understand maybe the purpose, there was still something about them that that really kind of spoke to them.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm mm hmm.
Speaker 2: And we also see her hear about the dark Elves here too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna I was gonna mention that, thanks for bringing it up. So the dark Elves. What are you gonna say about the Dark ove?
Speaker 2: Oh no, I was just gonna say that, I know we talked about them briefly before. I think maybe was it when we were talking about the the sundering of the elves or Yeah. So it's just nice that like we're reminded that they exist, Yeah, and that they that this was a part this is a part of the Elvin race that befriended the men.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there is a you know, there is a sense of friendship that develops early on, and they they do, they teach, they teach men what it is that you know, kind of share some things with them, right that some of the other elves who have you know, who are the Calaquindi versus the more a Quindi. Right, the cala Quindi would have had the most of all the light, but the more a Quindy they you know, they had some experience with the Valor themselves. They made a choice not to not to go towards valan Or. But they nevertheless have been living a long time, and so they're able to teach men some things and to offer them some friendship. Right now. Fortunately, more Goth, because of the sun, is held at bay, and he's not able to maybe come down as hard on the attani on Men as he would like to. I'm gonna go ahead and read this first paragraph here. More Goth had then not long come back into Middle Earth, and his power went not far abroad, and was moreover checked by the sudden coming of great light. There was little peril in the lands and hills, and there new things devised long ages before in the thought of Yavana and sown his seat in the dark came at last to their budding and their bloom. West north and south. The children of Men spread and wandered, and their joy was the joy of the morning before the dew is dry, when every leaf is green, but the dawn is brief, and the day full often belies its promise. And now the time drew on to the great wars and the powers of the North, when Noldor and Sindhar and men strove against the hosts of Morgoth Bauglier and went down down in Ruin. To this end the cunning lives of Morgoth, that he sowed of old and sowed ever anew among his foes, and the curse that came of the slang at al Kualande and the oath a fan or wherever at work. So just that kind of foreshadows the rest of what's we're going to learn about in the Selmer Alien and these these great wars of the of the North. I really really just love this, uh this line here. But the dawn is brief and the day full often belies its promise. Right, it kind of goes with what came the paragraph before, end of paragraph before. Their joy was the joy of the morning before the dew is dry, when every leaf is green, but the dawn is brief, and the day full often belies its promise. I feel like that's every day of my life.
Speaker 2: I think probably most people feel that way.
Speaker 1: Like I get up every morning and I'm like, ah, all this time, and it just life feels good. And then by about noon time you're just like nothing good is happening, you know, like.
Speaker 2: Or you're like, where did the last six hours go?
Speaker 1: I know, what have I accomplished? I know it's all those things, right, Yeah, And Tolkien of course puts it much more poetically here, right, the dawn is brief in the day full often be lies it's promise. Days day is such.
Speaker 2: A liar, tricky, tricky tricksy days. Yeah, yeah, very tricksy, very very tricksy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But but at the very least, you know, the sun holding more gooth at bay and kind of causing him to go underground for a while gives men the opportunity to spread and to grow. Now, I will say that as I do the math on like generations, it has me thinking like, so, were there already a lot of men in the year's year of the sun won? Because I feel like they kind of come into I'm not sure exactly when they come into the picture in terms of the timeline because I haven't gotten there yet, but I feel like it's it's only a couple of hundred years, and so I'm like, how many men could there have been by then, right, unless they started with unless there was already like a lot that existed and they all woke together. Right. So that's an interesting question of itself. And I'm not sure if Tolkien it us is that anywhere I can't remember if maybe there's something of that in the nature of Middle Earth, But I do think that's an interesting question. I'm just not equipped to answer it right now. Do you understand, like, do you understand my conundrum or my what I'm wondering about there? Greta Um.
Speaker 2: Not exact.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, like, okay, if there's just a mother and a father to begin and the year of the son one, how do you get it's like a lot of people in a couple of hundred years, right, like like talking in the thousands or you know, really probably more likely there. Well, it just seems like there are because when we get into later chapters in the Silmarllion, it seems like there's lots of men fighting, right, And there's not only lots of men helping the elder, but there's lots of more men fighting against them, right, So you know, it just makes me think, yeah, it just makes me wonder about that. But it's it's it's probably not entirely relevant to this. It is something though that I feel like Tolkien himself would have struggled with his own mythology trying to think about how does this all add up? Right? Could it be that anyway? I don't know, It's kind of a rabbit trail, but just something I wanted to mention head on instead of just being like, well, this problem doesn't actually exist, but maybe, I mean, because you think about it, like, just let's just make one generation of men, like twenty years. Okay, So it takes twenty years for a man and a woman to produce offspring, right, and in that time, let's say they have and they're you know, so you kind of do the generational math, and is that time enough for there to be thousands and thousands of men face of Middle Earth?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, in the face of a couple of hundreds of years, which would have been maybe in that scheme like a I don't know, ten generations or something like that, you know, maybe fifteen generations.
Speaker 2: I don't know, so, yeah, I understand that question. Now, that's a good one. I wonder if like the coming of men, like, how how does it compare to the coming of the elves, Like they all just kind of started in a big group.
Speaker 1: Well they did. Actually, in the Nature of Middle Earth, there's a lot written about the elves and how they came to be, right. Tolkien actually like wrote a ton about that. That's one of the most that's like early on in the book, and it's really really interesting stuff. So, but I don't know that he does the same thing with men. I don't know that he does like that does the same kinds of tables with men, But he definitely does those calculations with elves, and he's very specific about it, right, So it's it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: Maybe Tolkien favored the elves as well.
Speaker 1: Well, let's be honest, he probably did. He knew too many men, right, he was like, men suck books about immortal beings that you know, were a lot cooler and stronger and live a lot longer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, let's be honest. I mean, if we had to choose, we'd be we'd be elves.
Speaker 1: He's like men suck. I know, because I am one. All right, So, all right, any of the thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: Passes Greta, Umm, no, I think we covered it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, all right, Well let's talk about the stature of men and elves, right like, how they physically characterized, how they're physically characterized to comparison to one another. Okay, Greta, would you like to read this blue paragraph right here?
Speaker 2: Yes, and mortal were the elves, and their wisdom waxed from age to age, and no sickness nor pestilence brought forth brought death to them. Their bodies, indeed, were of the stuff of earth and could be destroyed. And in those days they were more like to the bodies of men, since they had not so long been inhabited by the fire of their spirit, which consumes them from within in the courses of time. But men were more frail, more easily slain by weapon or mischance, and less easily healed, object to sickness and many ills, and they grew old and died. What maybe fall their spirits after death? The elves know not. Some say that they too go to the halls of Mondo's, But their place of waiting there is not that of the elves and mondos under Aluvatar alone, save manway knows whether they go after the time of recollection in those silent halls beside the outer sea. None have ever come back from the mansions of the dead, save only Baron, son of Barahir, whose hand had touched the silmarill. But he never spoke afterward to mortal men. The fate of men after death maybe is not in the hands of the valarm nor was all foretold in the music of the ininorm.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, interesting paragraph, indeed, accompanied by the shrieks of birds in the background.
Speaker 2: I was wondering. I was like, is my microphone making read noises when I speak?
Speaker 1: Or noose? The birds in our yard here calling to calling to John Rice, so saying hello, saying hello hello, friend of birds. Yeah, so I got my door open while we're recording. That's why you're you know, you may be able to hear those birds in the background.
Speaker 2: I think it's totally fitting, in a perfect.
Speaker 1: Perfect perfect That's what that's kind of why I do it. So, like, what what interesting natural sounds we're going to hear in the background? So what do we want to highlight here. I first thing that I find really interesting is how Tolkien sort of describes the fading of the elves, right, that there's this idea that even now the elves were still young in the grand scheme of their life span, which is immortality, it should be immortality, which is really to say, it's the lifespan of the Earth, right, it's the lifespan of Arta itself. Even though they can die if they're slain, but they do fade over time, right because of the fire of their spirit, right, it consumes them from within the course of time. And that's why, you know, I guess according to the Tolkienian mythology here that elves they still exist right in the scheme, Like if you're thinking in terms of like how Tolkien views the world here, right and in viewing Middle Earth is kind of a mythological prehistory of our world, right, that these these elves still exists as fairies. But they're like these faded spirits now, right, they're these like they they're so faded that they almost like don't have bodies anymore, right, But they're just kind of these like spirits that exist out there, right because they're their bodies have been consumed by the fire of their spirit. Right, yep. So it's an interesting little little thought there. But men are more frail, uh, they're more easily slain by weapon or mischance, and less easily healed, ain't that the truth? And subject to many sickness and ment to sickness and many ills, and they grow old and die. But ultimately men are this mystery. We don't They don't know what happens to men. The elves don't know. They wonder if maybe they go to a separate part of the halls of Mondos, but it's not really it's not really known. The fate of men is just simply not known. And it was not foretold in the music of the ire so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and it's not in the hands of the valor either, so they don't know. Yeah, it's crazy. I want to give a quick shout out here to Baron.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, well, what's not to love?
Speaker 2: What's not to love? But it's just interesting that they mention him, as he's the only one that has ever come back from the mansions of the dead. Yes, and we'll hear more of Baron's story in a few.
Speaker 1: Chapters, Yes, indeed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just cool. That they mentioned that, or that Tolkien mentioned that that he mentions the sill morrel too. Do you think that has something to do with why he came back from the mansions of the dead or is that just like a fun fact that he threw in there.
Speaker 1: Well in the sense of did this Simrell have some way of like power within itself.
Speaker 2: Right to like kind of and I mean I know why, Like I know why he came back from the halls of Mando's, like I know the story.
Speaker 1: I think that's just I think that's just the way they just like it's like a it's like notable, right, you know, It's like it's it's almost like a you know, Baron who did this great deed, right, son of Barro here who did this you know who was was alone among mortals, right and touching a some merl, right and holding a sell Merell.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, that it's just kind of this legendary way of referring to somebody right of renown, right, and the reason for his renown. I don't think that's that That's We'll talk about it again obviously when we get to the story. But I don't think that's the reason he came back from the dead. I think this chapter, this chapter again, you know, it's not really the only kind of thing it does to advance the plot is just tell us that, yeah, men awaken in the year, in this first year of the Sun and it but it kind of provides some background before we jump into you know, like there's this dividing line in the film Million, right, it's the the first half is all about what happens in the Blessed Realm among the Valar and eventually with the elder an event in the big catastrophe, there is the destruction of the two Trees, and then we have then noldor fleeing, you know, chasing more more Goth to Balarion. And then the second half of the selmarally is going to be all about the wars of against more Goth, right, the wars against more Goth back in Bealarion, right, and this is some stage setting for that, Okay, it's you know, it's a little bit of foreshadowing and just kind of giving us an idea of where men came from, and they're actually not going to come into the picture even for a couple more chapter chapters in terms of the actual story arc. So yeah, all right, Greta, would you like to Oh no, you read the last one. Reads It's all you last paragraph here. And this is of the relationship of men and elves. And after days when because of the triumph of Morgoth, elves and men became estranged, as he most wished, those of the Elvin race that lived still in Middle Earth waned and faded, and men usurped the sunlight. Then the Quindi wandered in the lonely places of the great lands and the isles, and took to the moonlight and the starlight, into the woods and caves, becoming as shadows and memories save those who ever. And Anon set sail into the west and vanished from Middle Earth. But in the dawn of years, elves and men were allies and held themselves akin. And there were some among men that learned the wisdom of the Eldar and became great and valiant among the captains of the Noldor. And in the glory and beauty of the elves, and in their fate full share had the offspring of elf and mortal Rindil and Elwing and Elrond their child, and el rose disgusting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but Elrond is definitely better.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I guess I should say that he didn't have the he didn't have the share because he chose different paths exactly, So I stand corrected.
Speaker 2: But they're still were twins a right? Or were they just brothers?
Speaker 1: I believe they were twins. Yeah, maybe they were just brothers, though I don't know. Yeah, So just to you know, to say that once again, reiterate this idea that like kind of now elves, the elves that remained behind in our in our midst are faded and we almost like imperceptible, which I again, I really love this idea because I think this is Tolkien's way of explaining just all these like you know, the weird phenomena we might feel in different you know, kind of different places and that kind of thing, right, like you know, there's some other presence here, you know, for good or for ill. Right, this is one way of explaining that like kind of the you know, and you think about like kind of lore of ancient England, of England going back a long time, and just kind of these ideas of like various fairies like inhabiting the woods and that kind of thing, Like what are these creatures. Well, Tolkien's idea here that they're just these beings that once were like men, but now they've kind of faded, right, And unless they traveled back to you know, the Blessed Rome, they've faded and they just kind of exist as these shadowy beings in you know, in our midst And but once upon a time, the best of men and the best of elves fought together hand in hand against the dark Lord, right, And that's really what we're going to learn about, and the rest of the Silmar Alien. That's what these last twelve chapters from chapter thirteen to chapter twenty four are really concerned with. Are the great legends of men and elves fighting against Morgoth for the sake of the freedom of Balerion and of and of trying somehow to get those summarles from him.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So I'm wondering how much of this fading has to do with the fact that elves and men became estranged. Of wonder if if they had remained friends and allies, if that would have somehow, I don't know, not necessarily prevented, but maybe just maybe maybe the estrangement hastened the waning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like it's a good it's a good question. I feel like the elves were meant they were in being the first born. They were much like the Valar, like came first, and they and they were there to help the Eldar awaken and kind of reach their full potential. I feel like the Eldar came first in order to help men awaken and reach their full potential. Right. And there was varying success and failure amongst in both of those cases, right. The Valar obviously weren't successful with all the elves, and the ld R were not successful with all men, right, but with some they were some they were, so.
Speaker 2: There was like a passing of the baton or the torch.
Speaker 1: And I do feel like that, and I feel like the elder were meant to lay the groundwork. And and I think this also Tolkien doesn't direct doesn't address it directly in this chapter, but I do think there this is showing us again that sense that that this is, this is a story that all of Middle Earth is kind of this exploration of like mortality and what it means as men that were mortal, even though we have this seeming immortal spark within each one of us, Right, that there is this, this hunger, an ache, and thirst for immortality. Yeah, within each one of us as men? Why is that there? Right? What are we made for? And you know, my my working thesis in it all is just that Tolkien was exploring that through all of these stories, and so do without what you will? Well, this is a short chapter, indeed, and that's about all I have to say about that. Yeah, okay, all right, Well, do you want to do some haiku your Yeah, let's do some all right, here we go, right, darn it, mister.
Speaker 3: Rock paper scissors, Shoot rock paper scissors, Shoot rock paper scissors, shoot.
Speaker 2: Rock paper scissors.
Speaker 3: Shoot, dang it, all right, you go first, Me go first. Okay, let me see if I can find it. Yeah, here we go, all right.
Speaker 2: Children of the Sun, friends of dark elves, not valor mysterious men.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, nice, thanks, I like it. Mine's kind of like that.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, let's hear it all.
Speaker 1: Right, Atani Sunborn fears of Night. Yet it's foe star people, give.
Speaker 2: Way, nice star people, people of the stars versus people of the Sun. Yes, cool, I like it. Good stuff.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you want your haiku right on a future episode, let us know. And oh, I forgot to collect these, but I do have. I do at least have one haiku, I believe. Let me let me check this out. I got one from I believe from red Hawk.
Speaker 2: Oh, red Hawk, I say, I think he's the one that's been the most.
Speaker 1: Face a couple here, you all right, he's he's staying a little ahead of the game. Here, here we go, Chapter twelve. Haiku from Red Hawk, Chill of the morn Awake with the Rising sun Man, meet the Firstborn.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: Nice, that's good, excellent, indeed excellent. Good.
Speaker 1: Look at my email here and see if we got any others.
Speaker 2: Just do you want me to like sing?
Speaker 1: Yes, already?
Speaker 2: What should I sing? Well, no, I don't want to get copyrighted. I think about singing star Man Bowie.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's all right, I got it here, But I want just to turn into a Blue by Chanelle commercial or whatever. So yeah, that was ai. Yeah all right. I think that might be our only one for this chapter. I feel like I may have another one. But I didn't do a good job, y'all. Like I said, it's been busy. So if I failed to read someone else's hiq on this episode, I do apologize. Yeah, oh, wait, here we go, Here we go? All right? This is from Samuel P. Enough David Bowie, So from Samuel P. Men of the First Age, the hilldor frail lost, deceived nomad's leave their home, nice ski stuff, and Samuel says the deceived part comes from Authorbeth Finrod Andreath and Morgth's Ring, where Andreath is telling King Finrod of the dark past of men, how they were deceived and led astray by more Goth in their prehistory. So there you go, which I cannot wait to discuss that. That is going to be a very interesting work to discuss, especially after we finished the Silmarillion, you know this time. Yeah, we'll probably get to that. I expect to get to that later this year. That's been a long one coming, but it is definitely on the short list of things to get too soon. Authorbeth Finrod Andreath, right, the dialogue.
Speaker 2: Of yes, just that part of more God's Ring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's other parts in More Goths Ring that we'll probably discuss as well. Okay, flobeans Yeah, all right, Well, good job on the high cover body. Subscribe, rate and review us on iTunes or the platform of your choice. If you are a five star fan of the Tolkien Road, you can really help us out by heading over to iTunes or your preferred source for the show and dropping us our rating and review. When you do that, it helps get the word out about the Tolkien Road, which helps us to keep on everring on and drop us a line wherever you can find us, all the places you know how to find them. All right, we'll let you know about our next live stream whenever we all that all figured out. But again, thanks for your understanding, and we really enjoy those bummed We couldn't do it in April, for sure, but we're looking forward to the next one whenever it does happen. All right, that's all for this episode, everybody. Thank you to our amazing patrons, especially the following. John R.
Speaker 2: Caitlin of t with Tolkien, Jacob Lockham is anonymous Andrew T. Red Hawk, Shannon ES Bryan O.
Speaker 1: Emilio p Zeke F James A.
Speaker 2: James L.
Speaker 1: Chris L. Chuck f oziov Ish of The Hammer, Teresa C.
Speaker 2: David of Pint with Jack.
Speaker 1: Jonathan D. Erics, Eric B.
Speaker 2: Johanna T.
Speaker 1: Mike M.
Speaker 2: Robert H.
Speaker 1: Paul D.
Speaker 2: Julia Werty, Matthew W.
Speaker 1: Joe Bagelman, Chris k, Jacob Bess, and Don Jay, as well as those celebrating their patron anniversary this month. In May of twenty twenty two, Malcolm C.
Speaker 2: And Mis Anonymous thank you all so much. Yes, thank you guys.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate y'all and we will talk at you next time. Bye y'all, Bye bye