Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: As we discussed, once we get to the actual college basketball season, which is a long way away considering the most recent season just ended a little bit over a week ago, like, once we get there, we won't talk about these silly way too early, ridiculously early. I mean, are they even considered off season rankings? Again, we talked about them right after the National Championship game, because again, we love college basketball more than any this market for sure, So if there is somebody that's going to make at least something of it, it would be us. But I talked about it because I feel like it just will really remind you, and it's nice to be reminded at all times that, man, we were dead for a little while, but man we got some real momentum right now with Pat Kelcey. So again I'm always going to feel the need to throw the disclaimer on there that like, this doesn't prove anything, it doesn't mean anything, and we won't even probably remember where Louisville or Kentucky are ranked in these college basketball rankings for the next season. Whenever we're sitting here in mid April. But Louisville there's been a little bit of an adjustment. I think they were at number three initially in Jeff Borzello's top twenty five rankings for ESPN. They've now moved to four. And it's not because of any you know, it's not because of anything that's changed with Louisville. It's just because other teams have made some additions. And I don't even know who it was, but one team has jumped ahead of Louislle. I can't think of which one was it was, actually, yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Was Texas Tech. They got back JT.
Speaker 2: Toppin, which was a big deal, and then there was another player they added via transfer that I guess bumped them ahead of Louisville. So yeah, in fact, Texas Tech went from twenty two to number three, so they did some real work in the portal and elsewhere. Actually, let's just run through this really quickly. I know again, these aren't These are probably going to change from now until I don't know next week, because obviously there's still players going in the portal that will end up with good teams and certainly give them a better outlook for next year, so these will probably these will probably change weekly, but right now, Houston is still sitting at number one in ESPN's rankings. They bring back a lot from this past season, and obviously they brought in some good transfers as well. Papa Isaacs at Creighton. That's their big addition. So Houston number one, purduees at number two, and it's really I mean, purduees bringing back the same team and adding a transfer from South Dakota State. And yeah, they were good last year, they made the Sweet sixteen, But I mean, I feel like when Purdue is not really doing anything to get better as far as additions, and everybody else is making, you know, making moves to seemingly get.
Speaker 3: Better from a year ago.
Speaker 2: Like you know, I'm not saying Purdue is trash, but when everybody else is making moves to get better and they're bringing back really the same team that you know wasn't elite, I don't know, putting them number two seems a little off to me, But then again, Matt Painter's just different.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Whenever we looked at all the Sweet sixteen matchups, Purdue was the only team that had their five starters in the Sweet sixteen that every single starter started.
Speaker 3: Their career at Purdue and was still there.
Speaker 2: So as mentioned, Texas Tech number three, Louisville number four, Yukon number five BYU. They've jumped up to number six here because not only do they have some momentum coming off of last year, they also have the number one player in America AJ deband Stup. And then they also bring in rob Wright, Robert Wright, the third I should say, from Baylor, who is one of their better players last year, which we need to get to Baylor coming up in a moment.
Speaker 3: Promise we will.
Speaker 2: But Michigan's at number seven, Cali Perry and Arkansas at number eight, Kentucky at number nine, and then Duke at number at number ten, So there you have it, and then Auburn's at number eleven. But with Baker Mazara now in the portal, may maybe they drop off. And if you know, if for some reason these signs that people are you know, or I guess the dots that people are trying to connect as far as the timing here with Baker Mazara going to the portal, with that, if he did end up popping for Louisville, which I'm not saying he will again. That's all that is is. I mean, it's probably even not even fair to call it speculation, because I think even speculating on it is a real force at this point. And for those who missed it in the first hour and maybe aren't paying attention to it. Chad Baker Mazzara the twenty six year old, and I'm not exaggerating at this time. He's twenty six years old. He is coming back to college somehow for another year of eligibility. He had signed some kind of agreement with Auburn as far as nil, but then a week later he's decided to enter the portal. And he was in the Dominican Republic last week with Caseon Pryor vacationing. And those two guys were teammates at their junior college level. So the the speculation here is essentially, well, he was all in an Auburn and then he goes on vacation with his former juco teammate who seemingly is coming back to Louisville. Louisville doesn't look to be in great shape really at all for Nate a Mint.
Speaker 3: Maybe this guy takes that spot. No clue if that's what happens.
Speaker 2: But if it does, that'll probably bump up Louisville, no joke, to probably number I mean, I think it would probably put him ahead of Texas Tech, and it should put him ahead of Purdue. I mean again, and I'm not saying I think Louisville will be the second best team in the country if that's the case. I'm just saying, if we're going off of how Jeff Borzelo at ESPN has these rankings put together, now, I would just say that would be a huge addition and Louisville would bump up. So anyways, it is Coffee and Company. We are phil about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Big shout out to the louisvill Bats. Got a win today that led us to getting a little bit of a later start, which is okay. I mean the Bats lost the first two up in Columbus and then got the win today. So we're carrying some positive vibes as we roll along here. And if you want to take us with you wherever you go, you can. You can listen live on the out Radio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot Com.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: So I mentioned.
Speaker 2: The regret that I would imagine Scott Drew has to have. I talked about that towards the end of the three o'clock hour, and I just really, you know, everybody's different. I mean, it was in looking back the times that Scott Drew did turn down other jobs to stay at Baylor, like that alone is telling and you kind of feel like last year when he turned down both Kentucky and Louisville. I mean, that's ultimately like him saying I'm content with staying at Baylor forever because that was the time to strike. I also, I don't think he was ever off for the job, but he wanted Indiana at one point. I mean, Jeff Goodman said as much, and Indiana apparently was a job that Goodman at some point thought that Drew would take. But he ended up getting two big opportunities to leave Baylor. And I thought timing was good for him last year because he'd won a champion national Titland twenty twenty one and the likelihood of doing that again at Baylor is almost impossible. And you also have to keep in mind he did that in a year where college basketball, like everything in the world was weird because we were trying to get back to normal life when a pandemic hit. So he turned down both those jobs, stayed at Baylor, and he had a really I mean, I remember gassing up this Baylor roster because they brought back some good players and then they brought in Nord Shadowmere, who of course was a Final four player at Miami previously, Jeremy Roach from Duke, not to mention VJ. Edgecombe the best freshman in the country outside of Cooper Flag Rob Wright. The third Langston Love is transferred in from I'm sorry Langston Love. I think was a was a returning player. So again I thought baylorud be really good this year. They barely got in the tournament as an eight or nine seed. The only win they had we're talking about was a buzzer beater when they beat Rick Patino in Saint John's in November. And I think when it comes to like, they weren't terrible, but when it comes to teams that just from a personnel standpoint, should have been a lot better. To me, I don't think there's a team that would be higher on that list than Baylor. So I don't bring this up to say that his season. That was a dud, losing the duke in the second round, like that's the reason he has regret. But as it stands right now on April seventeenth, Scott Drew is in the same position that Pat Kelcey and Mark Pope were in last year, where he does not have a single player on his team, not a one. And yeah, that at times can be a good mon I don't think I think that's ever a good thing. Sometimes there's an obvious explanation like Louisville, Kentucky situation last year, but you got to go buy all new players and Baylor, I mean that's always why everybody thought he'd leave Baylor, because yes, Baylor, they got some Texas Oil money, but like it's Waco, Texas, Like they don't have a resources. They just built a brand new arena and I think it seats like seven thousand people. So the likelihood of Baylor having the kind of resources needed to bounce back with a completely new team and be competitive at the top of the Big Twelve, I think it's insanely, insanely unrealistic. So to know that like next year they're probably going to have like a rebuilding year.
Speaker 3: If that's even a thing anymore.
Speaker 2: Like I just had a hard time thinking that Scott Drew will not look back and think like, man, I made a mistake. Timing was there and I didn't take advantage, and he would have been a better fit, I think, at Kentucky than Louisville.
Speaker 3: And I never really thought Louisville one.
Speaker 2: I don't think he would have taken the Louisville job, And I think what happened is just my opinion on it.
Speaker 3: I think Louisville wanted it to.
Speaker 2: Be seen as in the early stages of the process that they were going to swing big and see what happens. They never actually offered him the job, and maybe because they knew right away he would never come here, and they knew what it would cost, or they knew what it would cost to get him, and if you paid him what he would need as far as a base salary to come from Baylor, Like he had no buyout, which is wild, but he was going to need a big, big paycheck in order to come to Louisville or Kentucky for that matter, at Baylor where he just won a national championship, and really it's his program. So I think UFL was smart and realized we can get somebody for a fraction of what it would cost to get him, and money that we have around, we can let that new coach wherever we hire. It was Pat Kelsey. He can use that money and go go get players. And he did and it worked. But I don't know. I don't think he's a phony, like I think he is a man of faith, and I don't think that he does that just to look like a good guy. I think that's genuinely who he is. I think he's been in this industry long enough to where if he was a phony, and you know, he just talked about God and his faith and his family just to sound like he was a nice guy, I think people would know that. But it does appear that his family was a big factor and they didn't want to leave Waco. That's where his kids grew up. Again, he's a made man there, but he lost to everybody. And I just don't like, yeah, they'll they can like maybe in a few years they're really good again. But Baylor and really Scott drew as a coach, like not many can say they have a national title right now. But Scott, who's done this long time to where way more seasons of him being a head coach at Baylor are forgettable or you know, frankly not good than seasons like he had in twenty and nineteen, twenty and twenty one. And trust me, it wasn't as if Louisville could get Scott Drew. I would have said, no, don't do it. But I remember, like, yeah, he's a good coach. And men, if you can go hire a sitting coach that's got a title on his res you'd be foolish not to do it. But some of these coaches, man, they tell you who they are, that with you know, eighteen years, and then they do something successful and it's worth praise, like it happened, Like it's not like it doesn't count, but it's an outlier in a major way.
Speaker 3: And I know it.
Speaker 2: He inherited a Baylor was a mess and it was viewed as the biggest rebuild ever because of I mean quite literally, they had a player kill another player and like a coach try to cover it up like that really happened. By the way, really good documentary on that whole thing on Showtime, if you guys ever want to check it out.
Speaker 3: It is I think everybody knows.
Speaker 2: The story, but the documentary shares like every little detail about the investigation and the unanswered questions that still remain, and like the fact that Dave Bliss didn't end up in pre I mean, it's it's wild. But anyways, Scott Drew, let's just take out his first you know, his first five six years. Clearly they were rebuilding in a major way when that really was a thing. You didn't have the poorly, he didn't have nil, so you had to Really it was gonna take some time. But he went to the tournament for the first time in two thousand and eight and then NIT. Then he made the Elite eight in twenty ten, no postseason in twenty eleven, another Elite eight in twenty twelve, NIT in thirteen, Sweet sixteen, and fourteen Round of sixty four. Two straight years Sweet sixteen and twenty seventeen and twenty eighteen. N twenty nineteen, he won one game in the tournament in went twenty and fourteen overall, and then they were really really good, Like they might no joke, they might have gone back to back had had the tournament taken place in twenty twenty. They were twenty six and four. It was them dating, and it was a weird year and it's a forgetable year because all of a sudden it just ended, and all of our tension was on, like are we all going to die? What's this coronavirus? But there were teams that might have actually like we might have had our first random title winner because Dayton was loaded with Obi toppin San Diego State was really good too, if you remember Florida State Leonard Hamilton, that was his best team among the many good teams he had, and like they never it just ended. So that was when it really got on a run. But since I mean since winning a national championship, he's not made it past the round of thirty two, which again that doesn't mean he sucks, but for Kentucky and Louisville to really fully pursue him, I think more than anything that speak clearly Kentucky was looking for an experienced coach. Initially they wanted both Hurley and obviously Scott Drew. And when it comes to like guys that have that on their resume, they've done it a long time, They've they've made at least one or two big runs in the tournament. Like the dudes who really made a mark on the sport for decades, not many of them are still doing this. Like Scott Drew was the guy that you'd think, well, he just won a title a few years ago, why would he ever leave? Well, he's a Baylor, That's why. And I would say to Scott Drew, now, dude, that's why you leave Baylor whenever the opportunity to go to a place like Louis Wi, Kentucky comes up, because you're a Baylor and like the likelihood of you sustaining the level of success you had was just not realistic. And maybe he's content with that. But now he's got to start completely over because VJ. Edgecomb's going to the NBA, Omir, Jeremy Roach, Jay Nunn, all those guys are out of eligibility finally, and then they've got four guys that are in the portal currently, Rob Wright, who was another big time freshman with VJ. Edgecomb, he's left. He's gone to BYU. He's going to make over a million. And then Langston Love transferred to Georgetown to play Fred Cooley. So, I mean, I know rosters are turning over like crazy this day and age, but I do think if you really consider Baylor and their situation, their head coach, this is a to me, it's if I was a Baylor fan, this would be an all like, this wouldn't be okay, everybody's gone, We're good now, we'll just start over. Like I think, it's an alarming sign that you know, and really, more than anything, it's just proof that like Baylor was not sustainable, and that's not Scott Drew's fold necessarily, but like Baylor being you know, a top tier program in this new world, it can happen every now and then, but like not consistently. All right, let's see, we got to get to a break coming up here in just a moment. But I do want to tell you guys about my friends over at the Louisvill Men's Clinic. I how about the Louisville Men's Clinic helping gentlemen like yourself with a variety of treatments when it comes to just be it a happier and healthier dude. They can help you with a rectile dysfunction, and they have an intimacy guarantee. If you don't perform, you don't pay. There's no better way for a company to let you know they trust and they believe in what they're doing, than by telling you that if you don't get the result that you need, you won't you won't pay, like you can get your money back. And this is not part of something they you know, want me to say, or maybe I don't think they mind me saying or I wouldn't say it, but like that's a when we consider what they're telling you as far as like if it doesn't work, come back. I pretty like they know that you can't, like they can't prove it. Like if you went back to them and said, yeah, I want my money back because I couldn't perform after you gave me treatment, what are they gonna do?
Speaker 3: Ask for proof.
Speaker 2: That's how much they believe that you will have the ability to perform, and they also, I guess, think you're gonna perform, perform pretty well and you're gonna be appreciative of the service that they provided. So there's no way you're coming back to say, hey, I couldn't couldn't get it done. So again, I'm sure there are other businesses that do that too. Hey, if you don't trust me, money back guarantee.
Speaker 3: If you don't like it.
Speaker 2: We know you're gonna like it. Well, this is we're talking about sex, folks. I mean, they can't. There's no way for you to prove that you didn't get it done, you know what I mean. So just another reason why you should trust them, and they trust in themselves that much to where they don't worry at all about you not being able to truly benefit from what they provide. When it comes to rectilasfunction, low testosterone. They can help you with that, hair restoration, weight loss therapy, a lot of different ways they can help you, gentlemen, and you don't know until you give them a call and go talk to them. Right Like, I try my best to really emphasize that you may just assume that everything's great, and you know, maybe you don't feel like you did seven eight years ago, and that's not alarming to you because you realize, you know, instead of being thirty seven, I'm forty four. And yeah, there is a difference in that, but you could be feeling like you could be feeling like you're sixty six, but you just think that it's feeling like forty four because that's just what you just assume.
Speaker 3: It's part of being old. No, that was me.
Speaker 2: I felt like aged rapidly in about a four or five year stretch, and I just assume, well, hey, that's life. And then sure enough I started to hear the messaging from the Louis of Men's Clinic as far as what they can do for folks, and I'm like, you know what, maybe maybe I do have low testoster like, maybe that's why I'm lethargic. Maybe that's why I no longer get the same results in the gym. And then of course they made it clear, yes, listen, if you are in your thirties, you're not an old man, but you start to lose testosterone development year by year, and that matters. So I now no longer have low TEE and I feel younger in the last year and a half than I did for a really good stretch of my early mid thirties. And it's all thanks to Louis Men's Clinics. So check them out online LOUISVI Men's Clinic dot com. Give them a call FABO two four four four four thousand. All right, on the other side, we'll talk a little bit about well, let's like talk some college football. There's a few different things I want to get to when it comes to college football. One, the new rule that it's going to be in place to try to combat the fake injuries that are clearly happening as a strategic move, I think this is the best thing you can do as far as really holding people accountable. And you know, it's not really a it's not really a I mean it's basically, look, if you're really hurt, we'll know, and if you're not, we'll know as well, and you'll get you'll get a penalty.
Speaker 3: So we'll get to that.
Speaker 2: Also, I think there's a little bit of a hypocrisy here with Mark Stoops as far as a roster edition that Kentucky's made. We'll talk about it next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right, Coffee and Company rolling along here on a Thursday afternoon. I mean, I wasn't going to bring this up, but because I had to hesitate there to tell you what day it is, which I'm sure you knew that it is Thursday, but I did not because I had the ultimate like punch to the gut as far as morale, because for some I don't know how I did it, but somehow I woke up this morning. It was like three forty five, and uh, I didn't wake up to start the day. I wake up, woke up because I had to use the restroom, and I go back to bed, get my phone out, lay back in bed, and for whatever reason, I just thought it was Friday.
Speaker 3: I got up.
Speaker 2: Oh no, So I got up, got the kids dressed for school in daycare, I hit the road and come back to the crib. Got some stuff I need to do before I head out and venture into the office. And it was probably about eleven fifteen on Interstate sixty five when it hit me it's Thursday, not Friday, Son.
Speaker 5: Of a bitch.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I mean, just to be robbed of that of that feeling because Friday's Friday is a vibe.
Speaker 4: Oh dude, there's nothing on.
Speaker 3: I mean, come on now, Friday.
Speaker 4: Oh man, I just feel bad for your Yeah, I look.
Speaker 2: He again, you know I'm not I'm bringing it up for sympathy, But again, what do they say? Uh? God gives his toughest battles to his toughest soldiers, right, you know what I mean, Like a lot of people wouldn't be able to handle that like I am.
Speaker 3: But I mean I.
Speaker 5: Could just see that extra pep in your step. You're getting the kids ready, you're ready to start the day, you have your daily Thornton's trip, You're driving on.
Speaker 2: In oh I stopped at Thornton's left, I walked out of Thornton's. I bet everybody saw me and said, look at that smirk. That guy thinks it's Friday. That guy thinks it's Friday. Do we have to tell him?
Speaker 5: Well, as long as you didn't tell anyone that you ran into have a good weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was deflating, is what it was. But you know, I keep trucking along. You know, nothing could keep me down because Thursday's kind of the new Friday, right.
Speaker 4: I mean absolutely, it's pre Friday's right day.
Speaker 5: I've been loving in my short years as being in thirties that I love when it's weekend time and like I'm at a store or I'm just passing by somebody or just having a brief interaction telling them to have a good weekend, because like it's the start of the weekend, you know, like it's Friday. The vibes are high. You probably just made someone's day by saying it. So like everybody, everybody, as bad as humanity can be all the time, we are all united on a Friday.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I know there are some people who their schedule is weird and it's just whatever they got to do to make ends meet. Right, Maybe their job makes it to where the days that they're off or not a Friday, Saturday. Maybe it's like a Monday, Tuesday or whatever. I know, there's some folks that have worked at ups for a long time. A couple of my friends that me, they they did you have that schedule? No, do you know what schedule I'm talking about? To where like Monday was part of their weekend. Yeah, like Sunday through Thursday or No, I never had a work so I was. I was fortunate to be Monday through So you know what, I'm sure you make the most of it. But I think you'd be lying to me if you told me like, yeah, I prefer it this way. No, you don't, because when everybody's collectively off, it's it's you know, it's your downtime, it's it's yeah. And look, the song is a hit, and it's a cliche for sure. By now, But it's also absolutely freaking true. Everybody's working for the weekend. That's right, that's what you're building up for, you know. So I thought it was Friday.
Speaker 3: It wasn't.
Speaker 2: But you know what that means, like the joy because again, Friday is the best day of the week, which I've always found that kind of like, I can't fight it.
Speaker 3: Friday is my favorite day.
Speaker 2: But it's also a work day, but it kind of doesn't feel like it, you know what I mean, like Saturday, Sunday. I mean, sometimes I have to do like sometimes we work games and stuff, but again I'm very lucky to wear what I do truly doesn't.
Speaker 3: Feel like a job like work.
Speaker 2: But overall, the fact that Friday is still a regular work day for just about everybody, and yet it feels as good as any is any day of the weekend, I mean, at least for me, and I know I'm not alone. Like that just speaks to how special Friday is. So what's going to be great tomorrow is that at least for you know, five six hours, I was, I was, I was, I was in delusional thinking it was Friday.
Speaker 3: But then tomorrow it's really gonna be Friday, and it's gonna be great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you get to have to fill in two days in a row. That's awesome.
Speaker 2: And we get out of here early because the bats come on at So I mean, it's all it's all working out.
Speaker 3: It's all working out for us, all right.
Speaker 2: So the faking a cramp or faking an injury in college football, I feel like it's been a thing for like ever, I really do, And it became such an obvious thing that like, I don't think many people were that bent out of shape about it because it just became part of the sport that you know, hey, if you want to slow a team down, fall down. And overall, I think.
Speaker 3: There's a level of like, that's really that that's low class. How could you fake? How could you act like you're hurt when you're not.
Speaker 2: That's because in a way, it is kind of like an awful thing to do, especially if you know you've got people out there running to help you that are worried, and like, you know, you're just doing it.
Speaker 3: Because your coach told you to fall.
Speaker 2: And there have been some examples of like there's no way anybody could ever like you can't prove it, But there have been some real visual evidence that shows like you're not like you clearly looked over to the sideline your you know, linebacker coach told you to, you know, act like you were dying, and sure enough they showed the replay. After looking at your coach on the sideline, you would have thought there was a sniper in the nosebleed section that just took you out because you're falling, I mean, because you fell down. So it became a real, you know issue where people were just bitching about it, and maybe I'm sure still people still were and are, but I just think it literally became part of college football and that's not a good thing. So thankfully they are doing something to hold you accountable if you, you know, take advantage of literally knowing that if you were a hurt player out here playing a physical game, yeah we're going to stop the game because we're worried about your health.
Speaker 3: I mean, the more I think.
Speaker 2: About it, it just became so acceptable. But it is really a blame thing to do in all aspects. I know, I maybe sound like a you know, an old man, get off my lawn kind of stuff, but anyways, here's here's what's here is the new rule to combat these fake injuries that the NSABA announced. If medical personnel are forced to enter the field of play to evaluate an injured player after the ball is spotted by the officiating crew, the player's team will be charged to time out. If that team doesn't have any remaining timeouts, a five yard delay of game penalty is going to be assessed. I think this holds you accountable. And let's be real, in certain situations, depending upon where you are in the game, maybe you realize we're really vulnerable right now. We will we will, we'll burn a time out because we'll we got to stop them, meaning they're they're going. Because it really comes down to just trying to slow a team down. That's that's what it is. That that that became, and really it becomes such it becomes such a component to college football gamesmanship and competitiveness that if you're a head coach not utilizing that to slow a team down, you're kind of not doing your job. So this this won't eliminate it all together. There still will be it occasionally. I think a coach that will say, we'll live with the five yard delay a game because we just we we got to slow them down.
Speaker 3: So I think this is good news.
Speaker 2: And I really think this is not like because because the NCAA is kind of in a tough spot that they mean, you don't know for sure if anybody's faking. You have a good idea, but like you really don't know, and it'd be terrible to, like, you know, implement something like Nope, get up, we know you're faking it, and then like they try to walk off and you realize, no, they're really hurt.
Speaker 3: You got to get them out of their an ambulance. So I think it's a good move. I really do.
Speaker 2: And when it comes to sports, that sticking with college FOOTBA here, when it comes to sports that I really love college basketball, clearly, NFL, college football, really in no particular order. I mean, I have more of a passion for college basketball, and it's something I really nerd out on more than anything else.
Speaker 3: But I love all three of those.
Speaker 2: And when I think of sports and everything that comes with it that I enjoy, it's those three NFL, college football, college basketball, and then the occasional NBA, I guess or maybe in a different life, so with that college football it had the way it is such a such a thing within the culture in certain areas of America, specifically the South, like it's it's a special like college football has given us some stories that are so wild but great that like no other sport could give us, and I think this is one of them. So obviously the biggest news in the last week in college football has been Nico say it Austin.
Speaker 3: What's his name?
Speaker 5: Nico Yama, Lama Yama, Nico Yama Layava.
Speaker 4: Yama, Layava.
Speaker 3: Yes, I got it here. That is a yah, okay yah.
Speaker 2: So his whole holdout that of course led to uh, led to him basically being booted. I mean, I don't know if and by the way, how I do love I mean, the the insane spend zone here like there's no way, like let me let me back up, I'm spending my wheels here, not making any sense because I didn't really, I mean, I'm speechless because it just the gall from the Nico family to act like this wasn't about money is insulting to society that you would think anybody would believe your nonsense. So there's no way that Nico's dad thinks that anybody believes their side of This is the actual situation and the way it went down I mean, they want you to think that it wasn't about the money. It was the offense, or it was the personnel, but definitely not the money. Definitely one of those two had nothing to do with money. Like I think that makes them look as bad as anything. Like just say it was about money and you, I mean, you didn't even have to come out and say you played your hand wrong in man, you screwed your son, but like to double down as if it wasn't about money, while last week trying to make you know, trying to ruin the career of a young reporter who actually was right and stuck to their guns. And I don't know much about Pete Nako's he's at on three Sports, and I think he's like twelve years old.
Speaker 4: I'm not.
Speaker 2: I mean, I doubt he's that young, But like, have you ever seen this guy Austin, Look up, Look up Pete Nakos. He's on three sports is and he does good works. He's the on three Sports transfer portal guy for both college basketball and college football.
Speaker 3: But he's a young young man.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I think he looks like he's like if you told me he was thirteen, I would believe it.
Speaker 3: Let me know when you find him.
Speaker 2: But anyways, he reported on it stuck to his guns and I do a great move by who is it?
Speaker 3: Shannon?
Speaker 2: I can't think of the guy's name, and it's really not important, but I just like when you know, people take advantage of good opportunities when it comes to a PR bump. And Shannon Terry is the owner of on three Sports and he did a public like, you know, gave a contract extension and a raise to young Pete Nacos and you know.
Speaker 3: They had video footage of it.
Speaker 2: And it's because look, this guy got called out by Nico's dad that he was lying, and he was calling him names like being really childish and just vile. I mean with some of the things he called. This young reporter looks very young. I told you he's thirteen.
Speaker 5: You believe you, right, yeah, absolutely, yeah, So he looks like someone's taken their son to take your kids' school day.
Speaker 2: And to be fair to this guy, I mean here I am like talking about how you know, I don't.
Speaker 3: I can't believe he's even old enough to have this job.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he gets, you know, taken less serious than others because of his age. That was me when I'm not that way now, but when I first started, I mean I remember people telling me like, yeah, like I like sports radio, but you're twenty six, how can we relate? I'm fifty five. I don't want to listen to you. And I get it, you know what I mean Like that, So shout out to that guy, and shout out to on three for recognizing that he broke the biggest story that we've had in the off season of college football so far, and by the way, the first ever time this has happened where a guy held out for more money as a college football player in the school after making the college football Playoff with said quarterback, they were forced to cut ties. So anyways, back to Nico. Clearly, Tennessee has a humongous fan based big following to see being good is always the reminder that they're massive. They have a huge fan base, they care so much. They just haven't quite been as good. I mean, they haven't been good in a long time in football until Josh Heibel got there, and in basketball they've never even made a Final four. But like when they're good, they have sold out stadiums, like they have a huge fan base that cares. In fact, they won the national championship in baseball last year College World Series, and that was a reminder of how much Knoxville I mean, and really just the state of Tennessee. Like they're an army, a big army. So this is the story that I just think. It's one of the examples of what I cut college football. It's just different and it's special. There was apparently a let make sure I get this this gentleman's title correct, because what a guy. So according to w VLT, a CBS affiliate in Knoxville, there's a pastor named Josh Sullivan from East Tennessee who was rescued from a kidnapping in South Africa during a shootout on Tuesday night.
Speaker 3: Scary situation, right.
Speaker 2: One of the first reports heard from South Africa after he was rescued that he was still very upset over the Nico situation. A pastor from Tennessee kidnapped in South Africa during a shootout and when rescued, instead of you know, reflection about life, he's still thinking about Nico holding out for money and leaving, which I didn't realize that Nico was. I mean, anytime you have a quarterback and you're good. Fans are gonna love him, but he's apparently a fan favorite, like not only because he was good, but like he seemed to really like appreciate Knoxville. Think about like the way Louisville players this year. You could tell they were able to pick up on the fact that they were bringing us back to life and they fed off that. Well, this guy was was beloved and then you know, Dad wanted more money and Night's gone. But is that not like a testament to like it's just different. Man, Like I make fun of the sec at times for this saying, but it's also true. It means more to them because it's their life. Literally, I mean, it's this guy almost lost his life and instead of just realizing, hey, I got a lot to be thankful for, like you know, my family, my faith, my church that I'm a pastor of guys just thinking about Nico, man, just thinking about Nico and how he got away.
Speaker 4: It's a movement. I mean, isn't that.
Speaker 2: You can't make this stuff up or we gotta get to a break. We'll come back and wrap up the four o'clock hour. On the other side, stick around coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: We are wrapping up the four o'clock hour here on a Thursday afternoon. Appreciate you hanging with us. Don't go anywhere. We're taking you up till six o'clock. I mean you can, you can. You can move around, luckily because of the power of technology, whatever you're doing, wherever you're at, as long as you have some ability to connect. You can listen on the AHUR Radio app or listen at seven ninety Louisville dot com.
Speaker 3: So yeah, take us with you wherever you go.
Speaker 4: Don't forget.
Speaker 2: You can also listen to anything that you might have missed. The podcast is usually up in full by the time the show ends because the travel Chief he's up there slicing the audio throughout the show to where we got hour one, hour two usually up before the show ends.
Speaker 4: So that's right, hour ones uploaded. Now there you go.
Speaker 2: There you go, So little time left here before we get to five o'clock. So one of the things I wanted to and we are a little bit a little bit of a shorter show today because of the Bats game, and again, congrats to the Bats. They got they got the dub, and obviously you know they needed it, they'd lost the first two. So we got some good energy today. Nothing better than starting a show when you're delayed because of a game and you know that the team won. It feels like we're winners too. We're taking We're gonna steal some of that success from the from the Bats today and I hope that they don't mind. But I cannot be the only one that saw early here today. I guess more so this morning before noon, about eight different national outlets all posting a picture of someone with breaking news, and the picture of the person was somebody who looks to be, you know, very old, elderly, And I'm happy that this wasn't what I thought it was. But before reading exactly what the news was, I thought they were telling us that Lee Corso was dead. I mean, I think, can we say that without like it? I'm not making a joke, but like when you see somebody of that age that you know, I mean, like that's not insensitive, is it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: I mean I mean because I understood the context, because I saw it come in during lifetime. But even though had knowing that, while I was still scrolling, I was still seeing the same pictures that you were speaking of, and I'm and I just had to keep looking at it.
Speaker 4: I'm like, wait a minute, that does say retired.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, and that's what did it.
Speaker 2: I just whenever I go to the for you section of Twitter, and I haven't been on Twitter in a couple of hours, the algorithm does no sort of like I majority of what I follow and try to keep up with and engage, I didn't really engage with the content, I don't think because if I don't know, I guess if you like it, like you hit that heart, that's considered engagement. And I guess because I like a lot of those things, and then I reference my likes within Twitter to really prepare for the show. I guess That's why when I go to the for you, I typically get things that are in fact for me that I'm interested in. But I'm just thinking, oh, like, it wasn't as if I thought for a minute he was dead, but like, it's the first five tweets I see that all came in from like on three sports, CBS, ESPN, I mean all the big the big brands breaking this news and then it was and I'll give them credit because they helped me quickly, you know, eliminate the sadness that would have set in because the ON three graphic shows the Brutus the Buckeye hugging Corso, and then in the graphic they have a green tent at the bottom that says retired. It it is said dead, you know, which they probably wouldn't have done that, but if you've seen some of the like ON three is kind of the lame of the of the well. I shouldn't say lame, but like because there's some guys I know that work there and they do good job, but like I don't know, they are probably not yet viewed to have the same level of like like the.
Speaker 4: Immate Younger Brothers. They're aw wrong perfect.
Speaker 2: They're aw perfect wrestling because they clearly have good resources and they have some good people, but like they try to they have they have a database of nil evaluator. I'm sorry, I don't care what numbers you're crunching or what formerly you have. That's a waste of everybody's time. There's no way you were able to determine every athlete's worth in nil, like you don't know that because I could just go ahead and say, well, I got five hundred thousand I'm gonna give to this player. You're wrong, Like it's just to me, it's a desperation as far as a force to try to like know that we have, like anybody trying to claim that they have the ability to determine certain things like that. I mean, it's just it's it's almost insulting. But again, no offense to them. It's just they're trying to make their mark, right. They're not twenty four seven Sports, they're not ESPN, and you know they're they're the new guy. And as we talked about earlier, they've got the guy who looks like he's thirteen, but he's doing good work, so shout out to him. So anyways, of course, always going to retire after thirty eight seasons, and obviously he is the first person I really think of when I think of game Day, and I really really love that he's going out like on his own, and he had the perfect role I think for the last however many years he's been, you know, kind of just doing that because like Dick fi tell you know, he's clearly had really rough struggles with with help and cancer, and you know, it's just been a really consistent battle for him for for a long time. And I just think it would be such an obvious move for Dick Vytell to not be broadcasting games to where it would take a lot out of his is probably take a lot out of him over overall, but like he should be game day he should be the game day guy. Because this is gonna sound like I'm insulting Dicky V and I'm not. He he's like the mascot of college basketball. He's the cheerleader of college basketball. And I know that sounds like I'm be littling him, but I'm not like he when people who don't maybe not as much now because you know, he was away for years and he's so much older now, But when you weren't into college basketball in the nineties of the two thousands like we are around here, when you think of college basketball, one of the first people that comes to mind for you might have been Dick by Tell because he.
Speaker 3: Yo about the baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, like that's just you know, it was, and it's annoying to some people, but like he helped spread the you know, spread college basketball around the people. So I just think hearing him on a game makes me sad actually, because it's such a force. Now again, he's done enough for the sport and for ESPN that if that's what he wants to do and they want to honor that, good on them, because not a lot of people get that courtesy. But anyways, shout out to Lee Corso. We're going to retire after this year. And I oftentimes forget he coached Louisville. It was long before you know, I was alive.
Speaker 3: But did you know that Austin Lee Corso was Louisvill's coach at one point?
Speaker 2: Yes, I feel like coach Tom Jackson, I think at that time, Humble.
Speaker 4: Bragg, I feel like I've known that for a long time.
Speaker 2: I think that you as somebody who didn't grow up in Louisville, but obviously you've always been a Louisville fan, like that would be something that really, like, you know, when you're telling people in Arizona about Louisville, Oh yeah, Lee Corso used to coaches like that's worth bringing.
Speaker 4: Up, right, Absolutely, I had that in the chamber.
Speaker 3: He was good too, by the way.
Speaker 2: He went twenty eight and eleven overall from nineteen sixty nine to nineteen seventy two. So when you think about Louisville football, maybe not being on the matt nationally, but at least, you know, getting some sustainable success in in the late sixties early seventies in the Missouri Valley Conference. The man Lee Corso was a part of that.
Speaker 5: Wasn't during Durham during Lamar's Heisman year when we had that game against Florida State, and I remember that being a big thing was seeing, ah, who's what what what mascot had? Is Lee Corso gonna put on? Because he had the ties of Florida State. Oh yeah, So I remember that being like, dude, he he.
Speaker 3: Was sitting up there. I'm not kidding you. I have goosebumps. He was sitting up.
Speaker 2: There and Layla Ali was up there as the celebrity guest, and you were right. I think there's a lot of people thinking he was going to go Florida State because of his affiliation there in some capacity.
Speaker 3: I think he went to school there.
Speaker 2: But he put the cardinal bird head on and like they ran on the field, they kicked that thing off and we all know what happened that was such a such a day, such a such a special.
Speaker 5: That literally happened in the span of like a couple of minutes. Once once you put that mascot head on, then there was kick off.
Speaker 2: And I didn't I didn't predict that they would win the way that they did, but everything about the lead up to that, and then in the moment once they started kicking their ass, I think we all were like, yeah, we knew this was gonna have you you know what I means. Easy to say that when it's happening. But like the Lamar and the Heisman that year, it was the perfect storm because he he ended the season the year before, putting up numbers that nobody else had in the Music City Bowl against against Texas A and M, and they were good, Yeah exactly, and that was like, Okay, this guy's crazy. Well then they play on a Thursday night to open up his sophomore season. He has eight touchdowns. Then they go on the road to Syracuse and I was fortunate to be there. That's where he had that That's where and again this was a benefit. It was a Friday night, no competition as far as what other games you're going to watch, and he lit up Syracuse and did what he's now done ever since. But like I remember, there was like Robert Griffin, third, Mike Vick, like it was appointment viewing. Everybody, get to your TV and watch what this guy's doing. It's insane. And then that was the lead up. You got Florida State coming to town the next week. He won the Heisman then, and there was never gonna be anybody in that they could do enough to take it from him, because in the end, you know, they didn't finish the season strong. But whenever you saw the voting, like he won that by a landslide, and it was you know, Clemson wanted it to be Deshon and they just wanted it because Clemson actually had a better season. Lamar was clearly way better than Deshon and still is. It's proven out to be the case. So all right, we were up against it. In fact, we're eight five h two here, as we get our last break in, we'll come back not a full hour, but you know, I'm sorry. We'll make the most of what we have, so stick with us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety