Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: That's right, coffee and company. You're rolling along here on a Friday afternoon, getting you set for the weekend, your last weekend without college football. Week zero next week. Not a lot of great games, but certainly some games to consume. That is better than not having any games to consume and games to bet on, and that's always always a whole lot of fun. So thanks for hanging out with us, don't forget. You can take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the out radio. Have listen live. It's seven ninety Louisville dot com. The U of L Football luncheon was earlier today and haven't heard a whole lot of feedback as to what as to how it went. I assume it went well. There's clearly excitement once again for Louisville football, and there's a lot of ways you can you can determine that, right, but maybe no better way to do that than people spending money. And right now season ticket sales are in a really good spot. Josh Hurd did say at the sellout crowd for the Louisville fotball kickoff luncheon, So a packed crowd there and they have currently well I don't know if currently, but he says that they will top forty thousand in season ticket sales, which hey, look, I mean not a big surprise considering broms here and you're coming off a ten win season. I mean, the vibes are good. But if you keep it up, like if you start, here's where things can get really special. When you start having sustained success. And with basketball, I mean, it's just going to be I mean, any little success is going to feel a lot better than it typically would just because of the recent disaster that was going on. But you know, when it comes to nil money that is that is being put up by fans, you're gonna always need corporate help and all that and big donors and whatnot. But once you start having like consist in success where Louisville football knows, hey, we're in good shape. Right when we have a year where we're really special, maybe a playoff contender may have a year where you know, we're kind of going through some growing pains whatever it may be, but like if you know, hey, we're never going to drop below eight and maybe every now and then we get ten again. Like, and that's tough to have that be your standard, that be what you have sustained, but it's also not unrealistic. And if you can do that, man, like, that's whenever you start to see things where you have things with U of l Athletics just in a you know, I don't want to say back to where it was and the you know, the the era that was the Year of the Cardinal, but you got to have sustained success in the major sports and Jeff Bram I think is going to do that. He's already off to a great start. And you know, Pat Kelsey, the only time will tell, but man, that guy has done everything needed to inject enthusiasm excitement within the fan base. And you can tell. I mean again, it's little. I don't want to make it out like it's some huge thing, but to see him helping everybody move in yesterday over on campus, not just as players, but you know, just walking aro around, meeting students, introducing himself. You know, he understands that a big part of this is, Hey, let's let's wake this fan base up and let him know we're here. We're gonna win games, and Louisville basketball is going to be back to where blocks so good stuff. All right, speaking to good stuff, it's the one and only doctor Eric Michilroy joining us here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: How are we doing, Eric man, I'm doing great, Nick, How are.
Speaker 2: You doing doing well? It's Friday, It's our last weekend without college football, and that makes me very happy. We're we're getting closer. I know it is. It's crazy. He's getting closer and closer. And you know, we over the years have talked a lot about the mental component to recovering from injuries. And we've talked about Tyler Shuck, the Louisville quarterback who's transferred in from Texas Tech and Oregon, and he's unfortunately had injuries throughout his entire career. And some of them have been, you know, seemingly just you know, bad luck. Some have been maybe you know, I you know, you never know, right, However, if you're somebody like him who's played college football for five years, this will be a six year He's older, he's more mature, He's gone through the we have process many times more times than anybody would want to. Yet right now, if he was to check the pulse of what's being said about him, not only within the Louisville fan base, but nationally, it's, well, Louisville's got Tyler Schuck, but can he stay healthy? How do you in your how do you in your in your profession, in your industry? You know, if he came to you and said, man, like, I'm just overthinking this injury stuff because everywhere I look it's all anybody's talking about. And understandably so it is something that is attached to him, But like, how do athletes best sort of navigate that? Because I think at times we forget these people are human beings.
Speaker 4: You know, that's a great question, Nick, And I think that what is lost in the whole rehab and recovery process is the importance of a team of providers that are there to help with whatever attribute or whatever attribute, whatever issue.
Speaker 3: That is going on with the athletes.
Speaker 4: So a lot of times what we see is these athletes are doing great, but they don't feel like it, are there. They a lot of fear and anxiety are out about return to play.
Speaker 3: They look good in practice, they feel good in practice.
Speaker 4: Or move even great, you know, but then all of a sudden, you're getting closer to competition, and you know, those those bad negative thoughts coming back into their head. Am I able cannot perform at the level I once was? All those all those things start to run through their head. And that's where the sports psychologists come in. So they're not just there to help, you know, focus them on positive thought.
Speaker 3: And mindfulness and stuff.
Speaker 4: They're there and you know, on the injury returning from play injury too, they're they're help there to help address their their issues, those negative thoughts that they may have, those those thoughts of oh, nobody believe in me like that is their role, and they are a vital I mean vital role in the recovery and the return to sport and the return to play process for any athlete of any sport, and for somebody like him, that that's who he's talking to, and that's who he should be talking to because they're gonna help mitigate those fears. You know, he already has the natural fears of what's happened to him in the past, and you know, and that is normal. And then on top of that, oh I cannot perform like I need to.
Speaker 3: You know, that's a whole other variable. And then you know the.
Speaker 4: Outside thoughts of you know, can this guy or are we gonna you know, if he goes down and doesn't get up very fast?
Speaker 3: Oh no, is it over? You know those kind of things. So I think that you know, he's gonna be on a regular having a regular conversation.
Speaker 4: I'm sure he already has with a sports psych who can help him manage not only the fear and anxiety of returning to play, but also the ability to play it at a high level.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe this is me just looking at it from an extremely glass half full rather than glass half empty, But I do feel like the repetition is big in every in everything, and I think, knowing he's gone through it before, maybe I guess it. You know, he could either look at it as like wow, I keep going through the process feeling great and I keep getting injured. That's probably the negative way to look at it, and in fact it is, But there's another side of like, hey, I've gone through this before, I've come back, like I know the grind that it takes. Like I don't know, I guess it just depends on who you are as a person. But I think, you know, nobody wants to get injured ever, and when you have multiple injuries, I'm sure it's crushing to you as an athlete and everybody and everybody involved in your recovery. But there's also like not as much maybe fear because hey, he's gone through this process before, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think that. I mean obviously, you know, like you said, everybody handles it differ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just comes down I guess your mindset individually, right, But I.
Speaker 3: Think the fear is normal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I think he's always going to be concerned, right, He's got you know, he wants to play well, he wants to perform.
Speaker 3: He doesn't want to ruin another football season. You know, he understands this is it Like he gets it. He should get it, like you know, he should go through those things in his head.
Speaker 4: You have to accept the risk, and I think that it's part of the healing process. In order for you to get over you have to accept that it's possible. But you've got to make sure that you're in the mindset you've done everything you possibly can to be at the level you need to be, and believe in yourself and the people around you that they are getting you where you need to be and that that is harder than it is to say, you know, but I do think that that's where having a team of providers there for him that enable him to work through those challenges and and you're right, having been there before helps him through that process.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, it's still.
Speaker 4: You know, you hear athletes say this all the time, right, I just needed to get out there and take my first hit, right like, you know that that's still there, like and still you until you get out there and you start playing and performing, you know, you're really not gonna know and they they need to do it.
Speaker 3: It's like you gotta you gotta take that leap, uh.
Speaker 4: And then once they get into it, then it's then they're usually much better. Not that they don't have moments, but that initial fear anxiety, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's once you once you dive in, you're in right, and you could maybe have a moment where your your mind plays a trick on you for a moment, but overall, once you're me because again, football football specifically, it's such a contact sport to where you know, more often than not, you're gonna be getting some contact on just about every you know, depending on the position you play like, it's not uncommon. Therefore, you know, once you're out there, I think it does kind of removes itself from your brain because you know, it's just such a constant thing within that within that battlefield.
Speaker 4: So speak and nick for and if you think about it, remember you hear me say this all the time on here.
Speaker 3: It's so position specific.
Speaker 4: Sure, you know, your quarterbacks are the most protected player in practice, rightfully, so, right but when you got one coming back from an injury and they're protected so much in practice, that first hit sometimes is coming in a game.
Speaker 3: You know, a lineman, a linebacker, a running back.
Speaker 4: They're gonna you're gonna get them involved in contact before they play a quarterback, not necessarily, so you know, for a quarterback it is a challenge because they don't really you know, they're protected and again it's the right thing to do, but at the same time, they may have that anxiety going you know, a little bit higher going into the game just because they're you know, probably one of the most if not the most exposed players on the field. At the same time, you know, they're obviously one of the most the most important, and.
Speaker 3: So it's it's that first time a lot of times is in competition.
Speaker 2: Doctor Eric McElroy Proria Physical Therapy is our guest joining us here on Sports Talk seven ninety so. Kentucky football unfortunately had a pretty big injury, but it's not a season ending thing. But a running back, Chip Trainum, who transferred in from Ohio State. He's expected to take over Ray Davis's role and has had a pretty good career at both Arizona State and Ohio State and was expected to be again their lead guy as far as a ballcarrier, but he suffered this past weekend a broken hand, and the report is that he's going to be out three to four weeks and could potentially miss their first two games. What is it? And I guess it just depends on maybe what kind of break where it is, But what'll be the rehab process? I mean?
Speaker 3: Is this?
Speaker 2: I mean, how can you know you can do things to keep yourself in shape while not getting hit because you know it's just your hand, but you know, just I know you're guessing a little bit here. What would you think the next three to four weeks are gonna be like for him? I guess it depends on if they're surgery needed. But I feel like overall, like you know, you could put a big club on that hand and it probably probably just comes down to like pain tolerance for him, right yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean the first thing is just making sure the bones are healing well.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then it's you know, you know.
Speaker 4: Pain mitigation, inflammation, uh, moving the fluid if they're swelling, maintaining mobility, maintaining grip strength. You know, your your body kind of goes into shock muscles kind of. You know, they're not weak because you're not using them, they're weak because of the trauma. You know, they're they shut down. It's just biology, primitive nature of things. And so you know your job is to it's you're you're in crunch time. So you know there's a lot of things that you may do that you skip or uh, you won't get to because the whole goal is to get him back to playing. And so you know, you're that's what you're doing. You're you're what do what do we need to do damage control to make sure that he can perform. And then on the I kind of as you mentioned with the club, if you will every every position a little different, I can get away with that as in some positions but not in others. So it's what what tools cannot bring to the table that enable him to perform but protect him at the same time. And that's where the creativity of spointing and things like that come in. That you know, if if this was the off season, you would never really be honest, have to worry about.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you know, in season, you don't have time to to mess around, so you got to fear those things out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's wild how the injuries in the in the running back position have just piled up in the SEC. I think I read that train him is the Yeah, he's the fourth. He's the fourth SEC starting running back to suffer an injury in fall camp. Texas has a running back that went down, Rubin Owens from a and m out for the season with a leg injury. Montreal Johnson of Florida. He's uh, he's apparently potentially going to miss the season. So tough, lucky. Anytime you have a news coming out of fall camp from a practice, it's usually something injury related. That's never good. So you know, it's just part. It's part. It's part of the sport, it really is. And it's inevitable that, you know, more more up than not, somebody's gonna get hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you got to have depth. I mean, you know, we can.
Speaker 4: Brag about this team and that team, but if you don't have depth, it doesn't matter. And that and that and the power five, especially the the gaps are smaller and smaller, especially with the transfer portal, and if you if you don't have anybody behind them, you know, it's going to impact your season.
Speaker 3: And hopefully fan bases understand that.
Speaker 2: That's why they say you got to be ready, right next guy's always got to be ready.
Speaker 3: You got to be ready.
Speaker 2: You never know, all right, So I've got a I got a hypothetical question for you, just just curious. I know it seems like each time there is a a tor meniscus torn ACL type of injury, and I know they're not exactly the same, but any an injury where it requires an athlete to go under surgery, I feel like over the years, the recovery time for those has has sped up, maybe not at a rapid pace, but I feel like, you know, twenty years ago, the timeline for somebody coming off of an ACL or something like that is much different now than it was then. But JJ McCarthy, the former Michigan quarterback, he's gonna he's expected to miss. In fact, they're reporting he will miss the entire twenty twenty four season after undergoing surgery to repair his torn meniscus. So given the timing right it's you know, mid mid August, Like, is there not that they would They probably won't need to, he's a rookie, but like, could we see a scenario maybe, like where if he's really on track and for some reason like they need him, Like, is there a is there a timeline there to where he could actually play for them at any point in the regular season?
Speaker 3: I think so. I was kind of surprised that.
Speaker 2: They went ahead and Shelton for the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think this is a situational thing. Now.
Speaker 4: Look, I totally understand the mindset of the surgeon. You know, you want to maintain normal biology the best you can. He's young, you know, quarterbacks nowadays can play a long time. You know, I think that it didn't look like he was going to walk in as the starter. H So, you know, I think there's a lot that came into the decision, and I'm sure McCarthy was just as involved in that decision as anybody. And and I also think that, you know, I think they're gonna leave the door open to hey, if you know, we're gonna continue. I guarantee they're going to continue as if he's going to be able to return, because that's kind of the mindset you need. And then that way, if something comes up and he needs to be available, you know, he can be available. So I think that that's probably the way they will address it. But at the same time, if he doesn't have to be available, and we've protected his normal biology and you know, the reality of it is, he'll probably for sure be able to start being involved in practice and stuff. So he's learning the playbook, he's he's you know, working with receivers and and all those kind of things, so he's doing the things he at some point he may already be able to, but it may open up a roster spot for him to get another backup in so they're not having to you know, utilize him. You know, they can put him on the IR for now and uh and bring in somebody else and that'll protect him a little bit and protect him a little longer, all right.
Speaker 2: Last question for you, What is your favorite, if anything, about the Kentucky State Fair.
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Man, Uh, you know, I'm not a huge fair guy, to be honest, I think the Fair is awesome for those who like to go, But uh, I don't know if I have one. I mean, I kind of if when we do go out there, I mean, you know, I try to eat healthy, but I don't mind eating some of the weird.
Speaker 3: Junk just to check it check at the box.
Speaker 2: That's why a lot of people go.
Speaker 3: I feel like the donut burger.
Speaker 4: You don't know, it's actually I think it's pretty good. But some people can't stand him. But I like that sweet, savory, savory type thing.
Speaker 2: So well, you're the second guest in yesterday It was Kent Spencer from wjs S eleven. He I asked him a similar question. He mentioned that donut burger. I am gonna try it. I'm going to the Fair tomorrow. I've never had it. It just doesn't you know, to me, it just seems like he'd be so rich. But then again, it's been one of the more popular items at the Fair for a long time, so it must be pretty good. I people keep get.
Speaker 4: Pretty good, but I don't get it with anything, but I haven't had one in a long time.
Speaker 3: But I don't I don't do like the blood is tomato. I think it ruins it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that would be I like my I like my my Burger's playing anyway, But yeah, lettuce and tomato with the donut. Just dam out on that dress it man, I didn't know that. I'm glad I know now, and because I can tell them, Hey, just give me the burger, the cheese, and put the meat.
Speaker 3: Man, that's donut meat. That's all I need.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, uh, I'm going to give it a shot. Hopefully, uh hopefully it's uh you know, I mean I just feel like after a few bites of that, like I'm gonna feel like something going on with my arteries. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: You will, Yeah, that's okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm telling myself. Hey, I've done pretty good this week with with you know, watching what I've eat eating eating healthy. But you know, maybe maybe my wife and I'll split one. She's had it before, she said she liked it, so it'll probably be the best way to uh wait to go about it. But Eric is always I appreciate you making time for us. Enjoy your weekend again, our last weekend without college football. It's almost here.
Speaker 3: I'm excited, man, you have a going to take care.
Speaker 2: That's doctor Eric McElroy, pro re ephysical therapy. Always appreciate his time. Good stuff there, no doubt. All right, we'll come back here on the other side. The keep the party rolling along. We can call it a party. Right, it's Friday. We're having fun.
Speaker 6: It's always a party on Friday.
Speaker 2: It's right, that's right. Good stuff. All right, don't go anywhere, and I mean it, don't move, give it a lock right here on Sports Talk seven ninety lmfao, right correct.
Speaker 6: They had a very weird run back in the early twenty tens.
Speaker 2: I feel like, man, when they when was it this song that you know?
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is what really catapulted me. Yeah, a few other weird songs like I'm in Miami Bitch that came out in the early two thousands, but this is what really kind of billed them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, gosh, it's so long ago too. And are they still like around?
Speaker 6: I don't think they are. I think both of the duo that is lmfao. I think they do their own things separately.
Speaker 2: Now yeah, man, I remember this was like the Jersey Shore Show era, and I remember, like, I just remember not knowing what these dudes looked like. And then I saw them hanging out with like Snookie and Paulie D And I'm like, okay, but yeah, they're like.
Speaker 6: I believe be wrong. I believe they were like in their early forties whenever they kind of made it big. I could be wrong about that.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't know, but yeah, I mean, like the so red Foo is one of the names.
Speaker 6: And sky Blue is the other one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, I mean he's forty eight, now yeah, it checks out, so skyt and sky Blue is he's younger, he's thirty seven. But yeah, lmfao, shout out to them. I don't believe they're still active in the music scene. But man, when they were big, for a minute, they were big, it didn't last long, all right. I've got my fantasy football draft this weekend, John and I have not put any thought into like what I'm gonna do with my team. We actually have a keeper league, so like there's guys I can keep if I want. I don't remember who's on my team, and it is sa like fantasy football I'm sure it's still huge with a lot of people, and daily fantasy is is you know, still technically fantasy, but like, man the sport, I feel like the sports betting craze that has just you know exploded in recent years to where in most states across the country you can now bet on games from your house on your phone. I just think it's made it to where fantasy football is not as big of a priority for people, and that's kind of sad, Like I think there are so many in my league that it's not a priority as far as, like you know, they want to win. They're gonna set their roster, they're not gonna like just completely abandon their team and quit, but their Sunday is much more for what they're doing betting wise. And I'm I'm that's me. I'm I'm one of those same people, Like I could care less what happens in my fantasy league. To be honest with you, I mean, I hate to say that, like I want to win, I'm gonna pay the fee, or'm gonna pay the league to do and like I'm gonna try, but like I'm not losing a whole lot of sleep if team gets beat I'll be much more upset if my team ends up. You know, I'll be if my team that I bet on loses, because you know that's that's that's an act. It's a it's a direct result, right, I bet on it if I went and I win or lose. In fantasy football, there's not as much of a weekly like you know, I mean, you win each week or lose each week. But you know, you know what I mean. But the draft, like these are my closest friends honestly for like as long as I can remember. Like people I grew up with, people that I have known since I was in like you know, elementary school. Now some of these people I'm still close with and talk to him just about every day. And there's some people that you know, moved away. I got a buddy, Chris, who now lives up in Ohio. He's coming back to h to be a part of the draft. Good buddy, Brad. He made the uh made the move not that long ago. I think he now lives Yeah, he lives in Lexing, which is crazy because he's one of the biggest level fans I know. And then there's some others that we just don't see as often. But like we're all gonna be together, and it's it has to be of everybody in this league. There's ten of us. I would, I mean this an you day where we get together, we draft, we pound beers, we eat like you know, animals, pizza wings that I mentioned beer, like we just you know, we have a day and it's the only day every year we're all ten of those individuals who all of them, I mean, we're all close. It's not like, oh we added a buddy that you don't know he's in the league this year. Like we've all known each other for no joke, probably over twenty years. So I'm looking forward to it. But you know, it's a little it's not and it just makes me sad that like we're the draft is really the only reason we do it anymore. But hey, I'll stay in this league until I die if it means every year I get one day with my closest friends for you know, for life, to where we just you know, kids aren't there, our wives aren't there, and we love our wives and kids. But like it's it's a day for the fellas and that's needed. So I've got the six pick snake draft, so not liking my chances this year, I feel like I regret deciding to take the uh that middle because I I think there's a benefit to doing, like to being the tenth pick, to where you get double picks each time, because if you I feel like with the six pick and a snake draft, my best bet is to just build a good team of like solid guys, but like I'm not getting, you know, an elite guy. And I've consistently been probably the worst, if not one of the words I mean, I probably actually no, no, no, to think about it, I have some self awareness. I'm the worst guy in our league. I have been for the last couple of years. There was one year many years ago, and that's what's crazy is how long we've been doing this. There was a year that I finished like second or third, and I'm thinking there wasn't that long ago. That was ten years ago, I think.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Anyways, I bring all this up not because I think any of you give a flying rats ass about my fantasy football team, but a really good write up here from USA Today's for the Wind blog where they give you these these are things that have gone viral on the internet. TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, where there's non creative ideas for determining the fantasy football draft order. So this group here, it looks as if they did like a full on combine, you know, like you see in the NFL where you're doing like you know you're doing. Let's see here, you've got like well, actually no, it's not like something in the NFL like they do like a free throw shooting contest. Actually no, I'm sorry. It's like you're timed right a free throw and then you throw a football through a through a tire. Then you run and you make a putt. Here they have a pretty bad ass set up here. They got like a little putting green near their pool, so you putt and then after you put it in, let's see what else they do here. It's actually pretty awesome. After you put you then run to cornhole and I guess you have to make one in. I'm trying to see where this ends. How long does this last? You know, this is terrible live radio, But I'm just I'm just now seeing the actual video of it for the first time. So again, a bunch of stuff like that, Right, make a basket, make a free throw, throw a football through a tire, make a putt knock one in corn hole, jump in the water and they're in ground pull. These guys got it set up pretty fricking sweet. And then you swim to the end, you know, swim one, you know one one. I don't know if it's a lab, but you swim, you know, from one end of the pool to the other. And then you get clocked to see how long you take. And again, fastest gets first pick, last you know, last place finish ends up getting the last pick. That's pretty cool, right, Like that's creative. This let's see here, this is these are dudes that just decided to straight up do a forty yard dash to determine like everybody's time. Let's say they got ten guys in the league fastest in the forty yard dash wins. I mean that's not really like who would agree if you know you're out of shape and you've got dudes in your league that aren't like, why would you agree to let that be how the draft goes? Right? I mean that that could be a little unfair. Yeah, that that to me seems uh, that to me seems seems kind of silly. This is cool. So Bruce Buffer, one of the Buffer brothers, you know the guys who are you know, known for being the ring announcers for boxing and UFC and just you know, the amount of money these guys get to just come and announce, you know, introduce people is pretty crazy. But apparently, uh he had it set up. Bruce Buffer did on his cameo page where you you know, he'll take requests to film a special video for your fantasy football leagues. And I'm not sure if this video that I'm about to play it is of that, but he does include that he will he'll pick the order randomly and announce it like so, you're the suspense is there. You're on the edge of your seat waiting for Bruce Buffer to deliver where you ended up coming in in the draft.
Speaker 7: Hello of you in the Boston Hoggin Fantasy Footbally. Congratulations to the chief for claiming the sp Trophy. Last here, your draft order picks first through ten are Joe Buck yourself.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna turn that down because I don't know if some of these team names he's about to unveil are appropriate for for radio airwaves. But very close Joe Buck yourself. I like that that's not a bad fantasy football team name. What else do we have any other good ones here?
Speaker 3: Are we?
Speaker 2: We? We always talk about the uh, the punishments that that are given out, those are those are pretty creative. But this is again just as far as like how you determine the order of the draft.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: This has turned the last place punishment as a way to determine the draft order. So their fantasy football last place last place punishment is a is a beer mile four quarter mile laps, one beer before each lap. Everyone else bets on finishing time. Draft order is determined by closest bets. That's pretty creative. Let's see any any any any others out there? And apparently there is is a website called draft orders dot com that will will let you get creative as far as how you want to do it. But yeah, fantasy football, I think it's slowly but surely not dying. But like it's just to the common football fan. I feel like it's just now that people can bet on sports, there's just not as much of fantasy football being a priority. But man again, I'll do it forever if it keeps me able to have that one day a year where the fellas we have a day to ourselves. Funny story that actually maybe you guys won't think it's funny, but it's real and it happened years ago one of my and this is how long we've been. This is how long we've been in this league together. Two of my friends that I grew up with were married. Now they're not, but they were married, you know, in the early stages of this league. And my buddy's wife and she's you know, I've known her probably longer than I've known him. But she truly thought fantasy football meant that we get together and do like cosplay, like we dress up like as as as fantasy football, I mean like she truly thought that it wasn't like a thing to be funny. Like when he would get together to do the draft, she thought like, like, I think he showed up on a Sunday from church, so he had his church clothes on, and she was like, how are you going to do your fantasy football in your church clothes? Honey? And like it was, I mean it was. It was crazy. Also, we had our draft one time at BEEFO. Brady's and we rented out like one of the party rooms, because they do that. Like that's it's actually probably a pretty profitable thing. I don't know if it's super profitab but it's probably a good way to get people in the doors there, right, a big group of ten to twelve people, twenty people maybe for a draft. That's good for business. So they'll put they'll, you know, if you want to do your draft there, they'll give you sheets and all that, and they'll they'll welcome you to come in because you know, they want that's a big bill for a party of ten to twelve or maybe even more than that. But anyhow, we had a guy that you know, just showed up, sat down in our room, and like he was in there for I don't know, five ten minutes something like that before he realized he was in the wrong draft. And we're like, might know that guy, Like we had a new player is just like, you know, what do we what do we know? What do we? What are we doing here? But anyways, real quick, I got to play this before we go to break because I remember the fan you know, the fantasy football thing where like again I just mentioned my buddy's wife, thought like we dressed up as football players and acted like we you know, a fantasy we were fantasy football players. Quite literally never reminded me of the time Ted, the legendary caller from the Afternoon Underdogs, called in when John Bowle was guest hosting, and man, that was I mean, this is you know, this is, in my opinion, one of the best moments in sports radio history. Here in Louisville, John Bowl and Ted talking fantasy football, among other things.
Speaker 3: He said, how you doing seven ninety wkr D.
Speaker 6: We've been getting a poll today, getting a survey. But do you want to weigh in on this fantasy football thing?
Speaker 8: Well, I love Paul and I love fantasy so bring it, bring it to me. And I have to say, John, your hair is magnificent. I'll watch you every morning. And it's no Chris McGill. He is definitely the most underrated, underrated entertainer in the land with the best hair. Nobody brings up Chris. But I'm all asked away.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't know that this is miners or not.
Speaker 6: He's on the air somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, why don't you Okay, why don't you tell me fantasy football or no?
Speaker 6: Do do you play it?
Speaker 8: Do you like it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Why why do you still play it?
Speaker 8: Well, I'm to be honest, with you. I almost got our league this year because it does get Oh sometimes you have to just you know, throw something in there different. This year, we're going to dress up as some of the players this year when we are.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I missed Ed. I love that.
Speaker 6: I've heard that a couple of times. But that's good.
Speaker 2: Ted would call in and flirt with Tony and it it was, it was, I mean, it just made me. I mean I remember as a listener before I worked in radio, certainly before I worked here, and you know he Ted's a legend.
Speaker 5: Dan Towny, I am really scared that Kentucky is gonna go forty and oh and I just wish you would hold me close to your zone and rub my feathered hair with your slimmering bipets and tell me everything is gonna be okay because Walmart is gonna be unhearable.
Speaker 2: Shut out to Ted if you're listening, I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not fishing for, you know, to be your next Tony because I could never live up to it, because you know, Tony's got those European thighs.
Speaker 5: John Daveed unless I have a comment on Kyle wheelchair, I.
Speaker 8: Mean his his lower body is not what needs lad I mean is his arms.
Speaker 5: They look like Popeye's wife arms, but his lower body. It kind of reminds me a lot of like how you have been, Tony, because you're you have very European thighs.
Speaker 2: Very European thighs on Tony Vinetti. All right, quick break, don't go anywhere. People want more Ted and I get it. Ted was great. I mean, I say, like he's dead. He's not dead. I hope he's not dead, but he hasn't called in a long time. But that was good stuff. I could listen to it all day. But we will move on. We're going to talk some serious college football coming up here in about fifteen minutes. We're going to be joined by the one, the only, mister Zack Barnett of Football Scoop gonna get his thoughts on a variety of things as we get closer and closer. As I've been saying throughout the entire show today, this is our last weekend without college football, and that makes me very very excited. All right, So again I've talked about it here and there that I find myself having to kind of put myself in check when it comes to like being a whole because I don't think Louisville's being disrespected. I don't think that Louisville is, you know, being overlooked in a major way. I mean, they're not out, they're not ranked, and they're right outside. They're technically you know, they're the first place team of the unranked teams. Right because they're the first team, they have the most votes for teams that are that are not ranked, and that's honestly a little bit fair. However, there's at least one person who covers college football Pro Football Focuses, Max Chadwick. He believes Louisville is the biggest snub from the from the A people, which hey, you know, you know, as mentioned, you know who cares. But one of the things that does kind of have me triggered a little bit to kind of feel like, okay, no, wait a second, maybe they are being disrespected is when I see other ACC teams ranked ahead of them n C State, I at least get because Dave Dorian, I mean, he's he's a good coach and they do bring back, you know, a pretty good crew from a team last year that won eight sorry nine games that were nine and four, six and two in the league. Louisville was one of the only two teams that beat them, and they got better at quarterback. They got Grayson McCall, the guy who played at Coastal Carolina for quite some time. And what's wild is that n C State, if you remember, they won with bad quarterback play, Like they actually had a good year last year despite bad quarterbacks, right, I mean they The quarterback they put out there when Louisvill played him was awful. And then do you guys remember this, I'd forgot all about this. They had a quarterback who was thrown in there because of an injury, and he started MJ. Morris. He ended up being thrown out there as a young I don't know if he was a freshman, but he'd never never played before. But he started four games for NC State last year and they were winning. He looked like the future, but he decided to just transfer mid season. You met that story at all, John guy, young quarterback comes out, Do you remember that, and he just decided, Ya, thanks for letting me utilize the reps here and really show that I'm good, But now I'm out. Yeah, it was a little just.
Speaker 6: Like Shady's the right word but it felt like he was just taking advantage of him, and it was.
Speaker 2: A I mean, it was a reminder of hey, this is a different ballgame. Now they guys can do this, you know what I mean. So like you just have to be you know, commitments and loyalty, all that stuff south the window. So you know, they had a good year despite all that going on, and yet they got better at quarterback because again Grayson McCall, I mean from Coastal Carolina. He's a three time sun Belt Player of the Year. So I don't think they're gonna be great. Well, we don't have to play them this year, but I can at least understan why they're getting some love. But Miami, Like how long can Miami keep this going on? How long can Miami continue to show every year that their ceiling is not high? I mean, Miami, you know they they had a great run long long ago, but like, how often have we heard about the U is the U back And I don't know if that's ever gonna happen, Like Miami, Like, how many years have we I mean, Miami's had many years where they were six wins, seven wins, sometimes they weren't even less than that. And they've never not had talent, right, Like, talent's never been a problem for Miami ever. And that's the same thing as being said this year. And yet they're coming off of a seven and six season, three and five in the ACC, a league that nobody respects, right, I mean, let's be real, the ACC doesn't get dead and get a whole lot of respect. Miami went three and five in that league last year, and yet they're once again a preseason top twenty team, Like people continue to believe in Miami when Miami has consistently shown you that, like the you being back, meaning like you know, in regards to national championship contenders, that's not real life, guys, it's just not. I mean, when Jimmy Johnson was there in the eighties, they were rolling. Obviously, Schnellenberger did a phenomenal job there, and then they were unbelievable and the early two thousands with Larry Koker. But like you know, Randy Shannon on Miami's ceiling is not like not elite. Mark Rick was there in twenty seventeen. In fact, Mark Rick was there for three years and they were good under Mark Rick nine and four and then they were really good in the second season when they went ten and three, and that's when it felt like, okay, the U might be might be back because Mark Rick's a good coach. But then of course she had to step down because of health issues. That following season they underachieved, went seven and six and four and four. That was when actually the turnover chain debuted for Miami. That was that was a lot of fun. But like under Many Diaz six and seven, eight and three, seven and five, Crystal Ball five and seven, seven and six, like they may be a good team, good enough team to you know, make a Bowl game again, have a winning record in the league, But like people who still put them in the top twenty every year and look at them as a potential, Oh, they could be back this year based off what I mean, the formula's kind of been the same for them for decades now, and their ceiling is yeah, okay, maybe borderline ranked team. And yet and I don't know, think Kim Ward he's got a chance to be a special quarterback for them. He can throw it all over the field. He's got a crazy resume as far as stats. But like they're getting the benefit of the doubt when they've proven not to be worthy of it, Whereas I feel like Louisville is coming off a ten win season and a good coach and another great haul on the transfer portal, and people still just assume Miami is going to be better. When Miami lost to Louisville last year at home, fires me up. John, all right, we'll talk some more football coming up here. On the other side, we're gonna be joined by Zack Barnett of football Scoop. Five o'clock hour on a Friday. Let's have some fun, folks,