Speaker 1: Dean and Charlotte were sitting on their couch one evening watching television. On the screen, little fires everywhere. Firefighters battling a house fire, flames tearing through the roof, people standing outside watching the blaze in horror. Then Dean's phone rang.
Speaker 2: We were on the episode watching the specific part of this episode where the house is up in flames and the kids had something to do with it. And we get a phone call from his daughter.
Speaker 3: Minutes after watching this part of the episode, minutes after that.
Speaker 2: Crying because the house is on fire.
Speaker 1: The house wasn't the one on the television. It was the rental house where Dean's ex-wife Laura was living with their children. Hundreds of miles away in Washington State, Tom and Joanne were on their own couch when a message came through.
Speaker 4: One of the kids that hung out at our house over the years had become a fireman. And he texted our son and he said, oh my God, your house is on fire. And we're like, what?
Speaker 5: About 10 o'clock our time. My sister texted me saying your house is on fire.
Speaker 1: The house Tom and Joanne owned in Wisconsin. the same house Laura had been renting. What none of them knew yet was that the fire would only be the beginning of a story that involved unpaid rent, insurance payouts, fundraisers, and a woman who had risen to become one of Liana Shanti's most trusted followers. I'm your host, Casey, and this is Episode 6 of The Insta Scammer. Dean and Charlotte met in 2017. Dean says that from the very first date, he put everything on the table. His divorce, the custody situation, the ongoing conflict, a restraining order. He describes leaving the decision entirely with Charlotte. But to understand how this family became part of the story we're telling, we have to go back further. Back to when Dean and his ex-wife Laura first met.
Speaker 3: We both went to the same technical college. She stood out to be very different just because of the way she dressed. She was very physically conservative. You know, she wore long skirts and she, for one, it was a kind of a male-dominated field of study. It was tool and die design. And she was the minority. There was maybe 25, 30 people in our class and maybe four or five of them were women. So she was homeschooled. She, she did very well. She excelled in academics and she graduated two years early. I've maybe met her that first semester, but didn't really start talking to her more in depth until our final year. And then I find out that she's very involved in her, in her church at the time. She started sharing the Bible, which was very new to me. I was brought up actually not knowing anything about really the Bible or the church or Jesus or anything. I want to say the last month or so of school before graduation that she shared Jesus with me to the point where I accepted it into my life. I became a born again Christian and wouldn't have gotten there, you know, without her, without her help and her explaining all this to me. Well, anyway, I got to meet her family. I want to say that same night that I got saved, which is back in 97. And she was the oldest of 11 kids. All of her siblings were homeschooled. And as I got to know them, I fell in love with their family. I fell in love with how close they were to each other. They all kind of looked up to me because I was older than all of them. And they were all very into sports. I was very into sports. So we did a lot of basketball, a lot of football together. And man, I just thought it was great how they, you know, they all sat at the kitchen table together and ate. And, you know, it was just a very tight knit family. And I'm like, oh my gosh, and now I'm surrounded by all these loving people. I loved it, and that was so new to me, and that was a big attraction.
Speaker 1: Dean describes the first 10 to 11.
Speaker 4: Years of their marriage as a good period.
Speaker 1: Four children, what he calls building their own little tribe. Then, he says, something changed.
Speaker 3: We met a lot of new families through this new church and became more active. They broke into smaller groups during the week, so we had kind of a house church that we would attend on a weekly basis where we can really share and not worry about judgment. It was nice, and that was also the time period where this came into our lives and then just things kind of hit the fan.
Speaker 1: Bean says the man who entered their lives came through their children's basketball program at the YMCA. He was approximately 10 years younger than Laura at the time. Over the weeks that followed, Dean says Laura began raising the idea of moving him into the family home.
Speaker 3: This goes back to when my ex-wife and I started having marriage problems. Back when we were still together, we had introduced a young man into our home. We met him through the YMCA, through our kids' basketball program. He was, I want to say, like around 10 years younger than My ex-wife at the time, he was coaching some of our kids, our boys in basketball and this thing was. Then over the course of a few weeks, we got to know him. My ex would talk with him and they started building a relationship. One day she comes to me and she says, I think, or what do you think about letting him live with us? He has a rocky relationship with his parents. Currently he was staying with his dad. Why don't we at least have more for lunch? And I said, okay, well, it seems harmless. Yeah, he seems like a nice guy. So we had him over for lunch. Things weren't good. Shortly after, she's like, what do you think about having him move in with us? You know, just to give him a place to stay until he gets on his feet and establishes, you know, more of a career or whatever. And I'm like, oh, I don't think so. You know, I worked full time. I'm out of the house the majority of the day. She was a stay-at-home mom. She ran a small business out of the house. So she was, and she was homeschooling at the time. So I don't like how that feels. Well, then she brought it You know, she said something like, well, I feel like God is putting him in our lives. And then I'm like, well, how can I come against God? You know, I'd feel horrible if, if I were the one who's standing in the way of something God is trying to do. So I'm like, okay, well, let's give it a shot for a couple of weeks or a month and see how it goes. Well, of course we bring him in, we give him his own room. He's helping out around the house. He's cooking. He's a joy. You know, he's, we got along great at the time, you know, we're playing football together.
Speaker 1: Dean says it was over the months that followed that the picture became clear to him.
Speaker 3: His job at the time was a personal trainer. Well, he started personally training her. And over time, she did really well. She lost a ton of weight. And then I think that's when they really started to bond. And they created more of an emotional bond. And then I want to say he lived with us for about I don't know, eight to nine months when I started realizing, okay, now I think they have more of a physical attraction and who knows what they're doing now. And I started getting very suspicious. I kind of witnessed a couple of things where I was getting ready to go to work in the morning. I kind of peeked my head into her office and I see him behind her massaging her shoulders. And I'm like, okay, this has gone too far. They didn't know that I saw them doing that. And I just kind of According to Dean, that admission....
Speaker 1: And everything that came with it was the moment their marriage effectively ended. Dean says he wanted to try and work through it, but he says by that point, Laura had already made her decision.
Speaker 3: Like I said, my kids were all homeschooled at the time, so she would send the boys down to the park, which we were on the same block at the time, and the daughter, who was a toddler, she was sleeping in her bed upstairs, and they were fooling around in the house. Well, not good. I kicked them out of the house. That's when things kind of took a major turn. She ended up admitting to me that, yes, in fact, it was a sexual relationship. I'm taken aback by it. Obviously not happy about it. But I told her, I don't want a divorce. I think we can work through this. Well, then she throws another log on the fire and says, it's possible that I might be pregnant with this child. And that's when I almost lost it. But I still kept my cool and I'm like, Still, hopefully you're not, but let's try to work through this. I think she had already checked out and we both took like a counseling class separately, but there's the same course. And I don't know if that was near the time or around the time when she somehow got connected with Liana, but that's when I noticed, you know, she filed for legal separation, moved everything out of the house, kind of left me hanging high and dry. They ended up moving in together. Dean describes the separation that followed as contested.
Speaker 1: Then, came a plan he says he hadn't anticipated.
Speaker 3: Months later, she proposes an idea that she wanted to move her and the kids and their business to California. And I'm pretty grounded here with my career and my family and everything. And at this time, she'd already been disassociated with her family, so it wasn't a big deal for her to leave her family, but they saw more of a better opportunity for their business in California.
Speaker 1: Dean says the moment things came to a head arrived when he was picking up the children.
Speaker 3: There was one afternoon where I was picking up the kids, and she hands me this certified letter, and I... take it out to my car. I open it, I read it, and it says, you know, it's like a legal document saying that she plans on taking the kids out of state and moving to California. And I remember going back into her house and saying, I'm not going to let you do this. You can't do this. And then I turned around, I slammed the door behind me, and as I walked past her on the pilot in the driveway, I threw my elbow into like the bottom corner of the hatch of her vehicle, and I just nipped the lower corner of that back windshield and it shattered. It's just like popped. And I'm like, what the heck? Like, I know I didn't hit it that hard, but it was a bad decision on my part. And I owned up to it. I went back in and I told her and she insisted on calling the police. Police came, you know, I was, I was calm throughout the whole thing. I told the cop exactly what happened. He went in and took her story and he came back out and said, that's, you know, she pretty much verified everything you said. She wasn't afraid for her safety or the kid's safety. And then I believe the police report had something in there too, that one of the kids was a little emotionally distraught after that. I went home. They know the cops said, we're not going to arrest you. We're just going to have you pay restitution. They gave me the end of the paperwork for the court hearing and everything. And I went home a couple hours later. I got my boys, but the daughter wanted to stay behind. Apparently she had been a little shaken up from that.
Speaker 1: What followed, Dean describes, was a restraining order. And then, a few days later, a second petition seeking to restrict his contact with his own children. Dean says the family court granted the order between him and Laura, but rejected the petition against him and his children.
Speaker 3: So I was still able to see my kids, which was great. But like I said, that was definitely a turning point. They spent nights, you know, like on my scheduled days. I mean, I feel like I was... a very good father to them, and we had a great relationship. Things definitely started to turn. I feel like once my ex started realizing that she was losing her grip, losing some of her control over me, that's when she started acting out, and that's when things made a turn for the worse. I mean, we have so many examples that we could share, but looking back, it was gradual. Then rolling into the latter years, the relationships between the kids and I definitely started to dwindle. And you can tell that they would disassociate from, you know, their, like my ex-wife's family. There were a couple of her brothers that they would all still keep in contact with. And then her grandparents, they kept in contact with, but then even over time, they all just kind of completely cut off ties. They took a very hard stance against the COVID vaccine and they pretty much cut themselves off from anybody who took the vaccine.
Speaker 2: It was crazy because they used it as an excuse to cut off their family, the little bit of family that she had left. She cut them off because they got vaccinated. But at the same time, she was sitting in like a gymnasium full of people watching her son's sporting events. And I'm like, this doesn't make sense. You know, like you don't see your family very often, but you're in a gymnasium full of people pretty often.
Speaker 1: Dean describes the divorce as one of the most difficult periods of his life and says the legal disputes didn't end when the marriage did. But a few years later, he met Charlotte. And from the very first conversation, he told her everything.
Speaker 2: We started dating 2017. When we first started dating, he gave me an overview of his life with his ex. I was asking leading questions, wanting to know, like, why did they get divorced, this and that. And while we were dating, some things were concerning about like some of the things that his ex-wife would require of him. And I've done my research at this point. I've created a chronology of events because I was like, I need to know the truth here.
Speaker 1: Charlotte is clear that this is her interpretation, drawn from her own research and from comparing notes with other families going through the same situation. She explains how she went about building that case for herself.
Speaker 2: Like, I have what these women are blasting about my husband online, and I have what my husband has told me. I need to reconcile both of them. And so that is when I created this chronology. It's got pictures. It's got police reports. It's got, like, court documents. And after creating that, I'm like, oh my gosh, my husband is so truthful. Like, he has told me, like, the truth since day one. You know, like... Day one, on our first date, he said, here it is. This is my life. Take it or leave it. And he was so honest about it. And it's frustrating because these women are blasting him online and so out of context. You know, there's so much context missing out of their stories. After we got married, we found out through a family member who was like, what is this? She shared the post with us where his ex changed her name. So she came out and said how Liana Shanti is her spiritual mother. She renamed her Kahira Nolani. I think her name means like something princess, something warrior. So after she posted that, then I was like, who is this Liana? And does she have anything to do with this odd behavior we're experiencing? So then I started going to Liana's Instagram account and just like, combing through it to see if there was anything like that would make sense of what she's teaching versus how his ex is acting. I find out all his kids are following her and she's talking about how to have your best orgasm. And I was like, is this appropriate? I don't think this is appropriate for children. When I first started looking into her, it was just a weird feeling. And so I was like, you know what? I got to be prayed up before I go on to this girl's Instagram account. I need for protection over my mind and my heart. I went on one day and I typed in her name and I found Cult Recovery and I was like, what is this? I was like, you mean I'm not alone? You mean we're not the only ones going through this? It confirmed that I'm not crazy because you start to think like you're crazy. To talk to other families or other people about it who are not experiencing it themselves, it's like you sound like a crazy person. So when I found the cult recovery group, I was just like, oh my gosh, people who know exactly what we are going through. And to come to my husband and be like, babe, you're not the only one. You are not going through this alone. There's other fathers who are going through the same exact thing. It's the same exact storyline.
Speaker 1: Laura would later legally change her name to Kahira Noelani, a change documented in court records. Dean and Charlotte say looking back at Laura's behaviour over the years and the gradual estrangement of the children from their extended family, they believe the connection to Liana Shanti's community may have begun as far back as 2013, possibly earlier.
Speaker 4: According to the.
Speaker 1: Interviews conducted for this series, for many of the families who found the Liana Shanti.
Speaker 4: Court Recovery Group, that discovery was a turning point.
Speaker 1: Up until that moment, most say they had believed they were dealing with something isolated. A difficult divorce, a child acting differently, a partner or family member suddenly beyond recognition. But inside that group, they say the stories began to sound eerily familiar. Different states, different countries, different families and different relationships, but all the same language, the same accusations. What seemed to be the same sudden instructions to cut off parents, spouses, friends and support systems. As those affected began comparing timelines, messages and court documents, a pattern began to emerge. And it was through that same network that I was first approached about telling these stories. Many of them had spent years trying to explain what had happened to them, often feeling dismissed, misunderstood or simply unheard. This podcast became one way to document those experiences and bring the larger pattern into the open. For Dean and Charlotte, that network also revealed how wide the ripple effect of this community had become. Because Laura's story didn't just affect Dean and his children, it reached all the way to a couple in Washington State who had no idea what they were getting into. Back in the opening moments of this episode, you heard about the night a house caught fire in Wisconsin. That house didn't belong to Laura. It belonged to Tom and Joanne. At the time, Tom and Joanne say they were living hundreds of miles away in Washington State. They had rented their Wisconsin home to Laura, intending, they say, to help out someone they knew and trusted. What neither of them knew at the time, they say, was that Laura had already begun building a new identity inside Liana Shanti's world. The name she was using at the time they met was Kihira, but their story starts long before they ever heard that name. Tom and Joanne met in the early 1990s while both working at Microsoft in Washington State.
Speaker 6: We met in the mailroom.
Speaker 4: We were really good friends. A group of us would go to lunch together and stuff. And then one night they had moved out of our building. And I emailed them all and said, hey, we're all going to this bar on a Friday night called Waldo's. And Tom lived in a house of guys. And one of the guys had some friends from Idaho visiting. And he was talking with both of us. And he said, so how long have you guys been dating? And we went, well, we're not dating.
Speaker 6: Maybe it's not a bad idea.
Speaker 4: And we went, huh, that's not a bad idea.
Speaker 5: We left together, and I asked Joanne to give me a ride to my car.
Speaker 7: And we hopped in her car, and we were marooned for a.
Speaker 6: Little while, because one of her co-workers was making out with somebody, and we were spying.
Speaker 4: Well, we couldn't, like, turn the car off.
Speaker 5: When she finally drove me to my car, it was about four spots away.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And I was like, oh, for Pete's sake, you stinker. But later.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I proposed, and we had a big meal planned and everything in the apartment.
Speaker 4: So he said... We need to talk. Why are you choosing now? We're about to go meet all of our friends at Vito's. It's going to be fun.
Speaker 6: There are easier ways to get engaged, I've learned.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I do like the walk of like, oh my God, he's just going to drop me off at my apartment. And then they're all going to go to Vito's and have fun. And he's going to say, this is it. And then he proposed. And I was like, what? Wait a minute. So I was totally discombobulated. And, you know, and then I said, yes. And then he pulls up the shades and all of our friends are standing down below, you know, from our window and they're all going.
Speaker 1: Over the next decade, Tom and Joanne built a family life in Port Washington, Wisconsin, in a massive historic house. More than 4,000 square feet of hand-carved limestone, they spent 12 years restoring themselves. Their home had an open-door reputation in the neighborhood. Joanne taught yoga in the community, and Tom and Joanne together raised four children, two sets of twins, in that house. It was at their kids' basketball game that they first came across Laura.
Speaker 4: Our younger son was on the same basketball team as our son.
Speaker 5: It's a small town, and we didn't really know her. So when new people would arrive, they would.
Speaker 3: Be new people.
Speaker 6: You could see them and kind of wonder who they were and wait for a chance to get introduced.
Speaker 4: She homeschooled her kids, so they weren't in the school. And so the only way you would see her or meet her was the intramural sporting event. And we were sitting in the bleachers and she was sitting by herself and she had this jar of green stuff sitting next to her.
Speaker 5: I asked her why she had a candle.
Speaker 6: It looked like a candle.
Speaker 4: We invited her to sit next to us, and she told us all about her green juice, is what she had, and that she was this very successful health coach. And she said, oh, and if you're interested, you should go watch the Netflix show Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. And it was interesting to watch the documentary. So it kind of really legitimized her green juicing. In fact, we had put on a a few pounds ourselves. And we had just been going, because this was January or something, we were like, oh, we got to do something. And we meet her with this juicing and we thought, oh, well, that's kind of cool. Maybe we should try that. And she had a juice cleanse, one of her classes that she was putting on because she was this health coach. So I took the class and it was all online, or I guess I should say Zoom, and they typically just lasted for like a week. But she taught you how to make the juice, what are the things you're going to need. So we actually did it together, and it was very successful. I mean, we lost a lot of weight, and then we actually did it longer. And yeah, it was very positive. She said that she'd gotten her certification through HMI, which was Health Mastery Institute, and that the materials she gave us were written by the owner of HMI. But then as a certified health coach through HMI, she got to use these materials. And at that time, we just paid her directly. And then she would give you a copy of the materials. That changed later, but at that time, it was very, very new.
Speaker 1: Over time, the Bleacher conversations turned into something more. Joanne says she began researching HMI herself.
Speaker 4: At first, it was all just through her and the interactions with her and learning about things that she learned through HMI.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 4: We started to become more friendly with Sierra at more sporting events, and I'd always ask her these questions. And I even signed up with her for some skincare stuff. It's all organic and holistic and this and that. And over the time, I was kind of thinking, gee, I'd like to learn what she has learned for my own knowledge, not necessarily to become a health coach, but I just wanted my own knowledge. And plus, I didn't want to abuse our friendship or friendliness, you know, by always asking her stuff without hiring her, in a sense. She was dating someone, some guy, health nut guy.
Speaker 8: She had a husband and they were either divorced or in the process of divorcing with four children.
Speaker 4: And that's when I asked her about you know, HMI and, you know, can I do this? What was it like to take the classes? And so she says, she gave me all the information. I did a ton of research on HMI and becoming a health coach and it wasn't so interested in a business, but then I thought, well, you know, the kids are in school, maybe this would be a good thing to do on the side because it was important to us. that someone be around when the kids were at home from school. I was about 2017 and it was about $ 3, 000. So, you know, significant, but, you know, compared to Cornell, it was less. I can't remember what Cornell was, but there was 26 modules and you had to go through each module and there were questions and, you know, assignments that you had to submit. And you actually submitted them directly to Wee and Ashanti. So that was kind of my first real interaction with her was purchasing this course because it wasn't through Laura. It was directly through HMI. She would correct my things. I never talked to her personally, but But it was also through these courses, because they were all recorded, was when I first started hearing Leanna's voice. Because you never saw her. I mean, you saw like this fuzzy picture of her on her HMI website. It was kind of weird because the picture kind of looking down on her and she had sunglasses on and it was fuzzy and, you know, whatever.
Speaker 1: Court records from federal proceedings in Hawaii document concerns about the credentials underlying that program. As explored in Episode 2, in July 2023, the Clinical Nutrition Certification Board formally notified the court that Liana Shanti had advertised a Certified Clinical Nutritionist designation she did not hold. A 25-page packet documenting the credential and recertification standards she had not met was submitted as supporting evidence. A separate exhibit submitted to the same federal court proceedings mapped what the filing describes as the network of products and services through which Liana Shanti's students were guided, beginning with HMI health coaching and progressing through the mother wound and father wound programs, the illuminations materials and private signal chat groups. While Joanne was working through the HMI certification, something else was changing. Joanne says a visit to Washington state had revealed that her mother was beginning to show signs of memory loss. Tom and Joanne made the decision to relocate. In 2018, the move happened quickly. That left a question about the house, the property they had spent nearly two decades restoring. Selling, they say, didn't feel right. They didn't know how long they would be gone. So they decided to.
Speaker 4: Rent it out.
Speaker 6: It seemed like, hey, this is someone that we know.
Speaker 4: And she was living in like this three bedroom, a little duplex thing. Her three boys shared one room. Her daughter had her own room and she had her own room, I think. And so it was, you know, a really small, small space. We decided, you know, hey, would, you know, you could rent our place. How much do you pay for rent at this place that she was renting? What was it? It was.
Speaker 3: $ 1, 455. I know that number.
Speaker 4: Yes, $ 1, 455.
Speaker 8: We let her keep paying the same amount to us, even though we hadn't even really done the calculus on what we needed.
Speaker 4: It didn't cover the whole, our mortgage.
Speaker 6: We probably would have rented it for more if we had more time.
Speaker 4: We feel so much better that someone we know is going to love and adore our house. And so part of the agreement was that, of course, some of this stuff is special to us, so be careful. We packed up a bunch of stuff and put it up in the attic. One of the things that we specifically said, because we got renter's insurance and all of that on the place, is that you can't use the attic as a bedroom. And there were... She had four kids. We had four kids. They all had their own rooms. I mean, there were plenty of bedrooms for everybody. And the attic needed to not be a bedroom because it only had one access, right?
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 4: So legally for us to be renting it, we couldn't have that as a bedroom. And she said, no problem. That's fine.
Speaker 1: So Laura and her children moved into Tom and Joanne's house and Laura began renting the property. Tom and Joanne came back to Wisconsin for Christmas. They stopped by the house to check in and see how everything was going.
Speaker 4: We all came back to Wisconsin for Christmas and And I actually went over and met her, went through the house. It looked great. We had left a bunch of our big furniture out on the porch. I guess we had been trying to sell it, but then ran out of time. So we said, oh, we'll just leave it here for you guys to use. And it was gone. And I said, oh, what happened to all of the, is it down in the basement or something? She goes, no, I got rid of it. And I went, oh. well, wait a sec, you know, she goes, well, you said you were trying to sell it. I'm like, oh, well, yeah, but I guess, you know, since we didn't, we, you know, anyway, she took it upon herself. I don't know if she sold the furniture or she just gave it away, but whatever. And she made some other changes. She removed like all of these shelves in our bedroom that were all screwed to the wall type of thing. She removed a bunch of that stuff and painted the bedroom and all that. But We kind of went, well, whatever, you know, not a big deal. But it was kind of a premise to things. I mean, the house looked great. It was clean. It was, everything was fine.
Speaker 1: According to Tom, they chose not to make an issue of these things. What they didn't know yet was that far bigger changes were underway, not in the house, but in Laura herself. As Joanne continued through the HMI certification, she says Laura began encouraging her to go further.
Speaker 4: Laura was really encouraging me to take more of Leanna's classes. So she had a bunch of other classes that were more psychological. So they weren't about nutrition. There were things like called mother wound, father wound, narcissistic people. And she said, it'll help you to understand your clients. Not that you necessarily need this. information for yourself, but more so that you can help other people. And these were all recorded classes. So it was all Leanna's voice. So once you bought the class, you had access to it, you know, forever in a sense. And really encouraged you to listen over and over. And then also during this time, there was this other really special class. And I I don't know what it was called, but Laura was really, really pushing it. That it was, you know, Leanna only does this class like once a year or once every couple of years. And Laura had already taken it and it was more expensive. And I can't remember exactly how much, but it wasn't a hundred bucks. It wasn't 3,000, but it was somewhere in between. And that's when you really got into all of the Leanna woo-woo stuff, I call it. You know, that she was enlightened. There was all of the reincarnation stuff. People have toxins from family members over years, from generation to generation. That if you're a person that hasn't been enlightened, then you make bad decisions. And they really started it on that.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 4: This class was different because you actually once a week had a phone call that you logged into and Leanna was actually there live and would talk and answer questions. This group of women that were the inner circle. So Laura was in it. There was this woman, Sanjit, and I always kind of called her the little mother hen because she was older. And she had been with Leanna from supposedly the beginning of time. And she was a therapist, actually. So that kind of gave legitimacy to Leanna.
Speaker 1: According to Joanne, the encouragement to listen to Leanna Shanti's audio recordings while driving, cooking, falling asleep was consistent and explicit. Former members have described this practice of continuous audio exposure as a recurring feature of Leanna Shanti's programs. And after attending a live class, Joanne says she was brought into contact with a group of women she describes as Liana Shanti's inner circle. One of those members, as Joanne mentioned, was called Sanjit. The name Sanjit is not familiar at this point in the series, but the person is. Sanjit is the former name of Kaya Alin, one of the names she went by before she received her Akashic name Kaya Alin from Liana Shanti. As described up to this point in the series by former members, Kaya Aline was one of Liana Shanti's closest inner circle members. According to former members, she was heavily involved in the counselling and guidance women received inside the community. From the live class, Joanne says, came an invitation to something more exclusive.
Speaker 4: There was this other woman, Erlin. So there was like, it was... Laura, Erlin, and Sajit that were kind of, you know, the three amigos, in a sense, you know, that were her, were Leanna's, like, top ladies. So I'm taking this class, so I'm getting into the inner circle. Laura tells me about, well, there's this other group, the Lemurian Sisterhood, that I think you'd be really great to be a part of. And I'm like, okay, what's this? And she said, well, you see, Leanna is clairvoyant. I'm like, really? Wow. She goes, yes, she's a shaman. And, you know, she can see things. And she's a conduit from God. And I thought, huh, okay. Well, you know, in all this time, it's been a real positive experience so far. You know, I'm trying to do this health coaching stuff or whatever. And I thought I would be open-minded to these things. So this was a, what, $ 89 a month, you know, that was a chat, a texting chat each week. And only certain people were allowed in it. And then you could ask questions of Leanna. And then she would answer. And I remember saying, gosh, it's just so strange.
Speaker 9: It seems like all of the women in this group, they're all like, you know, divorced or getting divorced. And wow, and all these men, they're all cheating on their wives.
Speaker 4: And I said, that's just really, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Joanne says one evening she decided to test what she was hearing.
Speaker 4: One of the nights she was going on about how, you know, in your past, if you're Family members, let's say, especially with women, you know, if your grandmother was in a bad relationship, she just passes that on to, you know, her daughter and, you know, generation after generation until you become enlightened and you get to move on from that. So people are asking all these questions. Oh, well, did this person, you know, did this happen to me or did that? And, you know, she would always, you know, be able to say, oh, yes, that happened to you. People would ask about their dreams and she goes, yes, well, that means this. And, you know, that was from a past life or this, that. So I asked the question, oh, well, since I know that my grandfather cheated on my grandmother, because my grandmother told me, did my grandfather cheat on my grandmother? No, yes, yes. And And I said, well, since he cheated on my grandmother, did, you know, my stepdad cheat on my mother? Oh, yes, definitely. And I'm like, really? Okay, well, that's interesting. You know, maybe, I don't know. And so then, because I knew darn well that this was not true, I said, so did Tom cheat on me? Yes, and he is. He has cheated on you repeatedly and he is hiding money from you. And I was like, what? How can that be true? And I'm thinking to myself, we have four kids. I know our relationship and there's like, when would he have time for crying out loud?
Speaker 10: When in the world would this poor man who's like working and he comes home and he's, you know, playing with the kids and What in the world?
Speaker 4: He's going to have time. She said, oh, definitely so. And then all the other ladies are like, oh, Joanne, we're so sorry for you. Oh, my gosh, I'm so sorry that you're learning this. And I'm like, this can't be true. Hiding money?
Speaker 1: Joanne says she wasn't prepared to take those claims at face value.
Speaker 4: So I think I contacted Laura afterwards and I was like, I can't believe this. This is so crazy. I want to talk. How does Leanna know this? And Laura said, you can talk to her personally. There are sessions you can sign up for just to talk to her personally. Private phone calls. And they're like $ 500 for an hour of time. And supposedly she has had many of these. And I remember also hearing that Aralyn, because she was so enlightened, because she met with and had these phone calls once a week with Leanna. So like two grand a month, this Aralyn person was paying. That was what I was told. I tried to schedule a time, but there were no openings. But then all of a sudden, boom, there was an opening. And so I had my little meeting with Leanna. And she was super nice in the beginning, you know, kind of chit-chatting. And I said, so, you know, tell me about Tom's cheating on me. Oh, yes. Multiple times over the years. And he's hiding money. And I said, wow, well, where is he hiding this money? He had one bank account. I mean, everything was open. She said he's hiding it in a bank account. close to his office. So now note, too, that we live in a small town. He works in a town at that time that's even smaller than our town. I had worked at a bank for a while. So I took this information, and I start calling all the banks around his office. And even in the bigger town, I made up some story like, oh, this... Tonguy, he did some such nice work for us, a handyman, and he was so kind and he won't take any money. So I asked his son, you know, where are any banks? And I'm just calling to make sure because I want to just deposit some money because I knew from working in a bank, if someone came in and wanted to deposit money into someone's account, the bank will take the money. They're not going to give any personal information about the account, but they would take the money. Now, if I just called him and said, does this person have an account there? They would say, oh, I can't give you that information. But I said, I just want to make sure that I'm depositing it in the right place. So I called all these places. No, he doesn't have an account. You know, good luck. You know, people are so nice. You know, it's the Midwest. And so no accounts. I call all these 80 gajillion banks.
Speaker 2: No account.
Speaker 10: So the next week on that little thread, you know, text thing, I said, I called all banks.
Speaker 4: He doesn't have an account anywhere. And she texted, you can't do that. I said, what do you mean I can't do that? I did do that. And he doesn't have an account anywhere.
Speaker 10: And so then she says something like, oh, well, it's his, one of his siblings is holding onto the money. I'm thinking, that's even more far-fetched.
Speaker 1: According to Joanne, it was shortly after she challenged those claims publicly that something else was introduced, this time involving Laura directly.
Speaker 4: And so then she creates this new thing to get me off track. She said, well, he made advancements to Laura and she has had two advances. private phone calls with me to talk about how uncomfortable he made her feel. And I was like, what? Oh, my gosh.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: You know, so I'm thinking, OK, well, then that's real because, you know, Laura wouldn't make up something like that. And I thought, holy crap. So, of course, I get off, you know, this chat thing and I'm trying to get in touch with Laura. And of course, I can't for a And then when I finally got her, she was really nervous. And she just said, I just, I don't, I can't talk about it. He just makes me uncomfortable. And that was it.
Speaker 1: Joanne says she found neither explanation credible. In her view, the allegation about Tom appeared immediately after she had challenged and disproved Liana Shanti's financial claims. And she believes it was designed to redirect her attention and to drive a wedge between her and her husband. Tom says he was not informed of the allegation until later on. While Joanne was navigating the group sessions, something else was happening. The rent had stopped.
Speaker 8: It's worth noting that Laura paid rent for five months and then stopped. And during the time that Joanne is deepening past the health certification and getting involved with these inner circle activities where more of a spiritual nature where they're transitioning.
Speaker 6: From generic, oh, mother wound, father wound, to trying to apply it to people so that they can get them to do things. She stopped paying, you know, she had stopped paying rent, you know, so then Joanne finds out, oh, there are these $ 500 calls, and you're like.
Speaker 5: Oh, $ 500 is.
Speaker 6: Going to Liana, but none coming to us for rent.
Speaker 5: So it's hard to separate what they.
Speaker 8: Were trying to do to manipulate or motivate Joanne and And maybe stopping.
Speaker 6: Paying rent was part of the ability to put a break between us.
Speaker 7: Joanne had more of a conversation with.
Speaker 6: Laura or Kahira.
Speaker 5: Than I did.
Speaker 6: But, you know, there was that question of, hey, what is she going to pay?
Speaker 3: And there was.
Speaker 6: Always promises of this and that and the other thing.
Speaker 3: Laura had apparently.
Speaker 7: Changed her job with Liana, where she was going to start to move to become the head of HMI. And she gave this up as reasons for not having the money. I had to give up a lot of my health certification while I work on this with Liana. They were really trying hard to get Joanne to mistrust me and to make a break, possibly, you know, separation, divorce, who knows what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 6: And it's worth noting, I had communications with her where I.
Speaker 8: Gave her a spreadsheet that showed, like, interests.
Speaker 5: On rent not paid, just trying to show her that with a real landlord, you'd be accumulating more than just the principle of rent.
Speaker 6: She even agreed to these things happily. Oh, this big thing.
Speaker 5: Is about to happen with HMI, and I'll pay you back.
Speaker 6: I'll pay you back the interest.
Speaker 5: So she acknowledged this throughout the time. It was a trade-off between pushing her too hard, and then at some point, when it grew large enough, pushing her and having her just vanish and that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: According to Tom, the debt kept accumulating, over 15 months in total, reaching approximately.
Speaker 4: $ 20, 000.
Speaker 1: He describes the position they were in. Push too hard and Laura might simply vanish. Too soft and the debt keeps growing. Throughout it all, he says, there were always explanations, always promises.
Speaker 5: The point was that it wasn't 15 months in a vacuum.
Speaker 6: We were in, you know, reasonable contact with her the whole time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because in the end, It was 15 months of not paying rent. So I'm in all these groups and stuff, this inner circle, and she's talking about how successful she is monetarily. And none of these other people know that she's not paying rent. And I'm like the only one sitting there, like listening or reading what she's telling people and knowing it's all bug because she's not even paying us rent. Well, I mean, one of the things too was that Leanna, I wanted people talking within the group, but I didn't want to embarrass Kahira within the group. And I had to say that, you know, I noticed that she was becoming less and less vocal in the group as time went on. Since Leanna is clairvoyant, I figured, you know, she knew all about this and that she wasn't paying rent and all that. And I thought it was strange that Leanna hadn't reached out to me because of this. Because I was thinking, we were, I mean, we were legitimately concerned about her and that how much she was getting herself into this hole.
Speaker 1: Court records corroborate Tom and Joanne's account. Documents from the Ozaukee County Circuit Court in Wisconsin show that Laura... who had by that point legally changed her name to Kahira Noelani, was sued over the unpaid rent. According to those court records, she had occupied the property for approximately 20 months but paid rent for only the first five. Court filings in that case include emails in which she attributed the missed payment to, in her own words, working a crazy amount of hours with Liana to turn HMI into a multi-million dollar empire. Court records also show that approximately 10 months after a judgment was entered in the Wisconsin rent case, Cohera Noelani filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection in the Eastern District of Wisconsin. Her schedules listed approximately $ 26, 200 in total assets on an income of approximately $ 4, 472 per month. The bankruptcy trustee filed a report of no distribution, meaning there were no assets available to pay creditors. Her debts were discharged in January 2022. The court records show that the woman who had presented herself to Tom, Joanne and her community as a successful health coach and rising executive within a multi-million dollar enterprise had, by her own sworn filings, no assets.
Speaker 4: To her name.
Speaker 1: When Joanne tried to raise her concerns through the community's own internal channels, she says the response was immediate.
Speaker 4: I wanted to talk to Leanna about it, but... She was always like so, so, so busy. So I did reach out to Sanjit because she was the mother hen, right? I just said I was having some trouble and I was looking for help on how to deal with this. And Sanjit just, boom, cut me off. She goes, shame on you for even trying to approach me. No, I cannot talk to you about one of our other members. And if you have a problem, you need to talk to Leanna. So I was really cut off immediately and shamed for even thinking to do that.
Speaker 1: And then, Joanne says, she started to understand something that had been there all along.
Speaker 4: So one of the interesting, really interesting things that Leanna always taught everybody as part of her teaching was, do not tell anybody in your personal circle about this sisterhood and about her being clairvoyant and the memories that you're having. I could see now looking back on it, she would help people to remember things certain ways. She always said, do not tell other people about this. If you decide to cut yourself off from your family or your you want a divorce or something like that. It has to come from you and you have to believe it and own it. And I remember too, whenever I kept questioning this stuff, you just have to trust that this is correct. When she said something about Kihira and Tom making advances, I wanted to talk to Kihira first. I'm just assuming is that Leanna contacted her and said, you need to say this and you just You know, you said he was making you uncomfortable. Yeah, it's making him uncomfortable because we're asking her for a rent. But we were always very, very nice about it.
Speaker 8: I'm pretty sure Joanne was discouraged from talking with me about anything of this nature because I didn't hear about it until later.
Speaker 1: What all of this means in practice, Joanne says, was that anyone on the outside trying to reach someone inside, a worried spouse, a concerned parent, a skeptical friend, would always be trying to reach someone who would be specifically instructed not to discuss the very things they were asking about. Former members described the community as sealed from the outside in exactly this way. And from the inside, they say, every doubt, every question about whether any of this was right was framed as the ego resisting growth. According to Tom, by the spring of 2020, the debt had reached approximately.
Speaker 4: $ 20, 000.
Speaker 1: He was preparing to come back to Wisconsin in person. He had communicated to Laura that if she wasn't in a position to begin paying rent, they would need to find a different arrangement, possibly eviction. The trip was planned for March 2020, then COVID-19 hit. On the evening of April 22nd, 2020, Tom and Joanne received word that their house was on fire. The cause of the fire has not been publicly determined.
Speaker 4: So it was late at night.
Speaker 5: About 10 o'clock our time. My sister texted me saying, your house.
Speaker 3: Is on fire.
Speaker 4: Right. And then one of the kids that hung out at our house over the years had become a fireman. And he texted our son and he said, oh, my God, your house is on fire. And we're like, what? And then his sister is contacting us, who she lives across the street. You know, again, we live in a small town. She calls me and says, the house is on fire. And I went, oh, my gosh.
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 4: And she goes, yeah, there's like fire trucks, there's all this stuff going on. And I said, do you see Kahira and the kids? Are they okay? And she's like, I don't know. So she runs outside and gets through all this mess and she can't find them.
Speaker 1: Next time, we continue with what Tom and Joanne say they found in the aftermath of the fire, the insurance claim, the fundraiser, and what Dean and Charlotte say they were confronted with in the weeks and months that followed. Join us next time for episode seven of the Insta-scummer.