Speaker 1: Welcome to the great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham. In a moment, we're going to bring you this week's episode of Dragnet. But first, I do want to encourage you. If you're enjoying the podcast, please follow us using your favorite podcast software. Also, today's program is brought to you in part by the financial support of our listeners. You can support the show on a one time basis by mailing a donation to Adam. I am peelbox one five nine one three. That's peel Box one five nine thirteen Boise Aldohol eight three seven one five. And you can also become one of our ongoing Patreon supporters for as little as two dollars per month. And I do want to welcome our latest Patreon supporter. Thank you so much to Bill, supporting the podcast at the Master Detective level of fifteen dollars more per month. Thanks so much for your support. But now, from February fourteenth, nineteen fifty two, here is the big phone call.
Speaker 2: The story you were about to hear is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. You're a detective sergeant. You're assigned to robbery detail. A jewelry salesman is slugged and robbed of twenty thousand dollars in precious stones. After months of investigation, you'll finally discover the man responsible for the hold up. You've got the evidence to prove him guilty.
Speaker 3: Your job bring him.
Speaker 4: In Dragnet the document a drama of an actual crime. For the next thirty minutes, in cooperation with the Los Angeles Police Department, you will travel step by step on the side of the law through an actual case transcribed from official police violence, from beginning to end, from crime to punishment. Dragnet is the story of your police force in action.
Speaker 5: Course.
Speaker 6: Thursday, July eighteenth was sultry in Los Angeles. We were working the day watch out of Robbery Detail. My partner's Ed Jacobs. The boss is Captain Dideon. My name is Friday. It was one thirty five pm when we got back to the City Hall, the interrogation room, is it not, mister Garvey, Yes, sir, you want to call a captain. They'd let him know where back.
Speaker 7: Okay, I'd still like to know what this is all about. Sorry and dragging me down here in the middle of the day. I've got an office system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just got back. Good you had interrogation room, right, let us check in you. Yeah, I'm back workd out time.
Speaker 7: Would you please explain what this is about? Why you brought me down here? We think you know what I don't. I haven't any idea. Take me away from my store on a busy day, you put a police guard on it, you insist on bringing me down here.
Speaker 6: What's it all about? Tell me you tell us, mister Garvey, tell you about what but jewel robbery nine months ago?
Speaker 8: That hold up? What hold up?
Speaker 5: My store hasn't been.
Speaker 6: Talking about your friend Thomas Ashley?
Speaker 5: Ashley, what about him?
Speaker 3: I think you remember it nine months ago, parking lot back of the building down on Poyt Street.
Speaker 7: Oh sure, some hold up man slugged him just to all his cases samples. I remember it now.
Speaker 3: For a time.
Speaker 5: Thief made a big haul, didn't.
Speaker 3: He unset down? It was twenty thousand dollars worth.
Speaker 5: I remember it now. I don't think Tom's gotten over it. Yeah.
Speaker 7: It was a jewelry salesman for the same company at the time, you know, same company Tom was working for him. Yeah, some of the big bosses thought Tom had a hand in it. I figured it was a put up job. Nothing was further from the truth. So sure I know Tom. He's a close friend of mine. He wouldn't be mixed up in a deal like that. Tom and I worked out of the same office for years. We've had him over the house for dinner. We've even been on vacations together. It's one of the most honest men I know. We're sure of all this, of course, I'm sure that isn't why you called me down here?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 5: You don't think Tom had anything to do with it robbery?
Speaker 8: Did you?
Speaker 5: You don't think he was in on it?
Speaker 3: You had nothing to do with it. I think you know that as well as we do.
Speaker 5: Then why am I here?
Speaker 7: There's nothing I can tell you about the hold up, only what I heard from Tom, what I read in the note.
Speaker 6: You can tell us a lot more, Garvey. We didn't bring here just past time a day.
Speaker 7: Tom was sluck and his sample cases stones were taken. That's all I can kill a liar, mister. You engineered the whole thing.
Speaker 6: We know it, and so to you.
Speaker 3: Was this some kind of a joke. If it is, I think it's in very long away from a joke, Garvey, you've planned the job, you got the loop. We can give you a chapter in verse. I really think you're serious? You think I robbed Tom.
Speaker 7: We're past thinking stage, Garvey. We already told you, we know you robbed him. Wait a minute. This thing is ridiculous. The whole idea is ridiculous. I don't know who gave you the so called information on me, but it's wrong. There's nothing further from the truth. Nobody gave us the information. We got it ourselves. You're really serious. I robbed Tom and you can prove I didn't.
Speaker 3: You're getting the idea.
Speaker 5: I know what's say. It's fantastic.
Speaker 7: I robbed my best friend Tom Ashley nine months ago. I have twenty thousand dollars worth of diamonds, and you can prove it, every bit of it. What about it? I think you're out of your mind. My name is George Garvey. You sure I'm the man you want? There couldn't be a mistake. No, there's no mistake. This seemed to be funny. If I didn't think you were serious, let me ask you just one question. Maybe that'll clear it up for you. Yeah, if I held up Tom Ashley. How is it he didn't recognize it?
Speaker 3: You know better than that, Garvey. You didn't hold up Tom Ashley yourself. You had someone to do it for you.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'll cloak and dagger. I'm afraid this is getting a little too wild for me.
Speaker 8: Sergeant.
Speaker 5: Maybe you can waste time making ridiculous charges.
Speaker 8: I can.
Speaker 5: I'm going back to my store.
Speaker 3: Weak bluff mistress, not gonna do it.
Speaker 5: Excuse me?
Speaker 7: Are you sure you two men haven't been drink? Mister Garvey, I told you, and do you make my stool down? Look, you have no right to keep me here. These are ridiculous charges. You think I'm one of those cheap hoodlings you used to dealing.
Speaker 6: I'll come off at mister. You've got a five thousand dollars car and a forty thousand dollars home. That doesn't reach you a special treatment. You're a thief and you know it as well as we do. I don't have to take this from you. You haven't got much choice. We just finished five months leg work proving it, proving what. Alright, I sit down there. You engineered that hold up. We know who you got to do it, We know how it was carried out. We know how you're planned on disposing of the diamonds. We know who your fans was, we know what the split was, we know what you did with part of the money.
Speaker 7: We know how much you got left. Right, Yeah, that's right. What can I say? I don't even know what you're talking about. Any way you want it, mister Garvey, maybe you'd like to tell me why I did always you know what better than we do, you know, I mean, and tell me you weren't making enough money at your job to suit yourself suit your wife either. It's pretty good, Maryland get a big kick out.
Speaker 6: Of that, all right, So we can wait it out as long as you want. We spent nine months on this already. In another few days, I'm going to make that much difference.
Speaker 7: Just as a matter of curiosity. How'd you first start off on this tangent? Whatever gave you the idea that I had anything.
Speaker 5: To do with the hold up?
Speaker 6: When you started to spend money a new car, new office for yourself, for a code for your wife, transferred your two children to that private school.
Speaker 7: And that makes a hold up man out of me, because I wanted to send my kids to a better school.
Speaker 3: Where the money come from. Can you explain that?
Speaker 5: Don't you think that's my business?
Speaker 3: Sergeant?
Speaker 5: Where I get my money? What'd I do with it?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 3: When you get it? Stealing?
Speaker 7: I'm afraid you're going just a little too far. You insist I'm a thief. I'm going to insist you prove it, all right.
Speaker 6: I have a look over here, mister Garvey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some of the reports on.
Speaker 6: The investigation reams of them. They cover everything from the time of the jewel robbery of the late yesterday. It's all right there, everything from the crime report to science statements.
Speaker 5: How would that concern me?
Speaker 3: Three quarters of the stuff concerned? You have a look for yourself.
Speaker 7: I still can't yet it's straightened my mind. What makes you think I had anything to do with that robbery?
Speaker 6: You know what this is, mister Garvey? This machine right here.
Speaker 5: No, I'm kind of recording apparatus.
Speaker 6: That's right, it's a tape recorder.
Speaker 7: You've been taking down this conversation, and why no not this one. We've been recording every conversation that took place in your office.
Speaker 5: For the last four months.
Speaker 8: Every word, what do you mean just.
Speaker 3: That, mister Garvey? Every time you talked on uphone every visitor you had. It's all down on tape, twenty five years of it.
Speaker 5: Interesting. Is that supposed to frighten you know?
Speaker 6: No, we don't care. If it's frightens you're not something else here. Yes, the reports on what you've been doing for the last four months, daily reports, every movement you made. That's so everywhere you went, everybody you talk to, everything you did want to hear sample.
Speaker 5: This must be some kind of a joke. That's the only explanation I can think of.
Speaker 6: May twelfth, Thursday. Sergeant's bitter Off and rapperty Those are the two officers who were tailing you at the time. You checked in at your new office at nine thirty eight am. At ten oh three am, you had a visitor at Kenneth Tyson. You talked to him in your office, conversations recorded. Tyson left at ten eighteen am. At ten thirty two am, you left your office.
Speaker 7: If you're trying to impress me, I'm afraid it isn't working out very well. You care for a cecarectulary? No thanks, I have my own. I've wasted enough time. Exactly what's the point of all.
Speaker 3: It pretty simple? You're responsible for a robbery you can prove, but we're giving you the chance to make statement.
Speaker 7: It's nonsense, isn't of course, people following me checking everything I do, where I spend my money, where I send my kids to school.
Speaker 5: What's it all about? It doesn't make any sense, all.
Speaker 7: Right, christer Garvey. We've said it before. We can wait it out as long as you want. Look, let's get this thing straight. Let's go back to the beginning and take it step by step.
Speaker 6: That's fine.
Speaker 5: The whole up was last fall, but sometime in October.
Speaker 3: October seventh, Monday twenty in the afternoon.
Speaker 7: All right, now, just what am I supposed to have done? None of your vague references about a new coach for my wife or where I send my kids to school. Let's have some facts yo.
Speaker 6: All right, mister Garvin. You went to work as a jewelry salesman for the company ten years ago. Your friend Tom Ashley, the victims, started the same year. The two of you have been pretty close friends.
Speaker 8: That's right.
Speaker 6: I told you that I will skip the rest of your background for now. Two weeks before the robbery, on September twenty fourth, we had a meeting with Kenneth Tyson. You met in the cafeteria on South Broadway. Tyson's nineteen years old, lives with an older sister. He works in the Gas States Olympic Boulevard, has done some work.
Speaker 8: We're careful.
Speaker 7: That's how you have to know him. Yes, I think I remember the boy. I don't know him well, though, I don't recall the meeting.
Speaker 6: No, you know the boy very well. The time of the meeting, you promised him a thousand dollars I could hold up your friend Tom actually did. Tyson agreed to it, and you briefed him on the plan. The following day, you gave him a gun thirty two caliber Smith and Wesson, serial number three six two seven four nine.
Speaker 5: Sense where did you get that in from?
Speaker 8: Tyson?
Speaker 5: Well, he's lying.
Speaker 7: Believe me if he told you that he's lying. Is he the one who robbed Tom October seventh? At your direction?
Speaker 6: He was in the parking lot behind the Hunter Crosswell Building. Tom actually came out to get in his car. He had his case of sample diamonds with him. Tyson held him up, slugged him, took the stones and got away.
Speaker 7: Of course, it's obvious Tyson's trying to say, I put him up to it. He's trying to get out of it. That pat not mister Garvey boy couldn't have carried off a hold up himself.
Speaker 3: Of course he could. It's obvious he's trying to cover up. There were six people in the company you worked for. We knew that on Mondays actually always took the case of sample diamonds long when he made his calls. Only on Monday. You were one of the people who knew that.
Speaker 5: I suppose you've considered the other five people and they were.
Speaker 3: All checked out at the time. They were all cleared you along with him.
Speaker 7: But I'm not clear anymore. Is that it this young hoodlum tyson? You're willing to take his word over mine. After the robbery, took the case of dimes to you.
Speaker 8: That was the next day.
Speaker 3: You paid him five hundred dollars and proms from the other five hundred when he got rid of the stones.
Speaker 6: Oh, I suppose I've gotten rid of them, or do I still have him?
Speaker 3: Two months after the hold up, you contacted a fence something in San Francisco. You drove up there and sold him some of the stones, and he broke him up and sold him. We know where he saw him to. We know what he got for him with this fence. He's supposed to be another good friend of mine.
Speaker 7: He's still doing business with him. His name is Fred Lawrence, who went on me. I don't know any Fred Lawrence. Can't even recall the name.
Speaker 6: Now, maybe this will help you, mister Garvey. Listen to him little teeth recorder. It's reel four in the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'll labeled there right on the.
Speaker 6: Back of the black Yeah, you're with.
Speaker 5: Well, what's all this about?
Speaker 6: Phone conversation, mister Garvey. One of the things were recorded from your office. I told you about it before. Let's see this one was on March eighteenth.
Speaker 7: I always thought wiretapping was against the law, or do you pay any attention to that?
Speaker 3: He didn't have your telephone line. We recorded everything. Come to take the grabb installed in your store and back in your office. They started recording the day you moved in, and that was the first to March, wasn't.
Speaker 5: I don't know why you're telling me. I can sue you for that.
Speaker 6: You know, I can sue you for your last dollar all working sermons? Right now? Is Fred Lawrence? You say you don't know what t Have you listened to this? This is recorded March eighteenth in your office? Okay, here we go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm right?
Speaker 6: Is the Lawrence?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Sure?
Speaker 3: Put money?
Speaker 6: Hi Fred?
Speaker 3: How are you.
Speaker 8: Good? No? Are they fine?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 8: He at all Ie? No, he's all right.
Speaker 6: I believe he's a good kid. Nice alright? Where Oh, I know it might not be so good as you've seen down here?
Speaker 3: Only your clock?
Speaker 5: Are you thirty?
Speaker 8: Okay? Fine?
Speaker 6: Close a thirty?
Speaker 3: Is you like?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 6: Like mister Gary?
Speaker 3: You recognize that? How about it?
Speaker 7: Guard? I understand they can do clever things with tape recorders nowadays. There's a way of piecing words together.
Speaker 3: Is in there.
Speaker 7: They can record your voice and then fix the tape. Take a simple sentence and change the words around me in just the opposite cam.
Speaker 3: You examine the tape, if you liked it, didn't make a splice in or tell you'll find it the usual factory splice it just where it comes from the manufacturer.
Speaker 5: What difference does it make?
Speaker 3: Anyway?
Speaker 5: There's nothing criminal about that conversation, nothing at all.
Speaker 3: You told us a few minutes ago you didn't know Fred Lawrence. You never heard of him on that recording. It sounds like you know him pretty well.
Speaker 7: It's a fairly common name, wouldn't you say, must be quite a few Fred Lawrence's.
Speaker 5: I didn't happen to remember the name right off.
Speaker 6: How about Tyson? Tyson? He told us you didn't know him well at all. I don't well, I didn't sound that way on that tape, did it. If you were telling Lawrence that he was all right? You said, believe me, he's a good kid. Now what you said to How about it?
Speaker 8: Mass?
Speaker 6: How about?
Speaker 5: What is this some kind of a frame? What are you trying to make me say?
Speaker 3: We're not going to make you say anything, Garvey. We work robbery detail. That's a job robberies. They pay us to clean them up. I can pay you well, never mind, I didn't mean that. I meant I pay my taxes, I pay your salaries. I helped you anyway. I don't know why I have to be treated like that.
Speaker 6: No reason to make a big headache out of this for anybody, Garvey. Now you engineered a hold up. We can prove that. We're giving you a chance to make a statement. That's all we want here.
Speaker 7: I have got nothing to say, make a statement about what all you're going on is hearsay circumstantial evidence.
Speaker 5: You can't say I planned that, Rob.
Speaker 6: But do you admit you know Tyson?
Speaker 3: You know them? Well?
Speaker 8: I don't.
Speaker 3: I admit nothing. What about the phone conversation?
Speaker 8: It's a fake.
Speaker 6: They're phoning those things up all the time. You know it as well as I do.
Speaker 3: You admitted you know Fred Lnes. Prove that from the recording?
Speaker 5: I admit nothing.
Speaker 6: You don't even know Tyson?
Speaker 3: Is that what you want to say?
Speaker 7: I know him, that's all. He worked on my car a couple of times. I don't know him well.
Speaker 6: All right, sir, to play another recording?
Speaker 7: So waste of time. I haven't got the whole day to spend here. I got to get back to my store. I've got a business to.
Speaker 6: Offer here we are April fits a lot of foolishness.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 7: How do I know you made those recordings? You could have gotten actors. Maybe you made them up yourselves. There weren't any dictographs. How do you make those sayings?
Speaker 3: There? Word dictographs? Mister Garvey? Remember before you moved into that new suite of offices, you had them redecorated. Yeah, or sound technicaltions from our crime lay about their working side by side of the painters and carpenters installed dictographs in your store from back in your office. They bug the entire.
Speaker 7: Place wire tapping. I'll bring this into court if it's the last thing I do.
Speaker 6: Now, we already told you, mister Garvey, it's not wire tapping. We didn't touch your phone lines.
Speaker 7: We didn't have to invasion of privacy and then take you into courtA.
Speaker 6: Well, let's listen to this recording, right, tariff, A few things clear up? What what are you trying to prove?
Speaker 3: Okay, junking?
Speaker 6: It's coming in here then missus apl fifth.
Speaker 8: Yeah? Mary?
Speaker 5: Oh, how well does he know him?
Speaker 8: Inn?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Okay, send him back?
Speaker 6: You got mine? I mister Gary again, how are your money sit out?
Speaker 8: Thanks?
Speaker 3: How you got anyway? Pretty good?
Speaker 6: Trying to get hold you last week. It is so hard to do, yount very much?
Speaker 3: Pretty good?
Speaker 6: They have again in time of year.
Speaker 5: You know what kids you do?
Speaker 6: You know, I don't wanna waste your time like you know how to Deal's working out though back east of me next month. I'd like to get the rest of my money if I couldn't. It's just like I told you the last time. You cannot sending yourself, nor the hope to hear it in a couple of days.
Speaker 3: And I's what.
Speaker 6: You told me before was a pretty heavy job. I could use the money. I mean, it wasn't jo heavy. I wouldn't mind that I got a com and.
Speaker 5: I think, of course you do. Can't there's no question there.
Speaker 6: It's just that I hadn't got it right now, believing you'd have it in a minute to reminded you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but that was your agreement.
Speaker 6: Wasn't this five hundred to fourth job? Five hundred after and have a last October. That's a pretty good stretch.
Speaker 8: Now I can't.
Speaker 5: I told you the truth. I just haven't got it now.
Speaker 6: Why don't you drop back in a week or so? How about it, mister Garvey, what do you say to that?
Speaker 5: It's a ridiculous thats all. It's an obvious fake.
Speaker 3: You can look at the tape if you like inspected, if you can check every one of those twenty five reels. We'll play every one of them if.
Speaker 7: You want fakes, and they're bad ones and that now, look, I'll give you both a chance. Either you book me in on a charge or else release me. You try booking me in and I'll sue you for false arrest. I'll break you. I'll see you blind. I can promise you that, uh, release me and I'll get back to work. I'll forget all about it.
Speaker 8: Now you name it?
Speaker 6: Which one book me in or release me? Oh that's fair enough. You're gonna give us a choice.
Speaker 7: So on, bet it's fair. You could get in a lot of hot water. Now it's up to you which one You ran a bad bluff? Mister, we're booking you in.
Speaker 4: You are listening to dragnet authentic stories of your police force and action.
Speaker 6: Thursday, three point fifty five pm, Ed Jacobs and I continued questioning the robbery suspect Ernest Garvey. Despite the evidence at hand, he still refused to admit any knowledge of the twenty thousand dollars jewel theft nine months before the questioning went on. Garvey's answers became more and more confused. We kept pressing, laying out the case against him step by step. Four pm. Four thirty We stayed.
Speaker 3: At it must have taken quite a bit of money, didn't Garvey? My wife knew for a coat newcofe of show. Where do you come from? Now?
Speaker 6: Look, there has to be an answer. Where'd that money come from?
Speaker 8: Simple?
Speaker 3: I borrowed it?
Speaker 8: Wherede.
Speaker 6: You borrow it, some of it from friends, some from the banks.
Speaker 5: I don't see how it concerns you.
Speaker 3: How much money did you borrow?
Speaker 5: Don't you think that's my business?
Speaker 6: Wasn't it about seven thousand dollars? Is that about right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: No, it was more. Well what's the difference, it's my business? You want to grab that folto in one of the dark brown that's it? Huh, complete financial file on you, mister Garvey. Took us quite a few weeks getting this together.
Speaker 5: In a lot of work.
Speaker 7: We must like snooping in other people's affairs, you know another especially it's pretty dull.
Speaker 6: There's a copy of your bank statement. It's a photostat. Doesn't make much sense.
Speaker 8: What do you mean?
Speaker 6: Well, we checked your income for that month outed to six hundred and twenty dollars and eighteen cents. Your bank statement here shows you made deposits totaling seven hundred and sixty dollars the same month. Now, how is that possible?
Speaker 7: For your information? I made a loan that month. That's probably some of the loan money I deposited. I quit my old job. That time I was going in business for myself. I needed the money to redecorate the new store in the office.
Speaker 8: It's as simple as that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the photostats your loan papers right here in loans for two thousand dollars for that February for three thousand dollars. Another one in April too, that was for fifteen hundred different back again.
Speaker 8: It's right.
Speaker 5: Do we have to go over this line by line?
Speaker 6: In three months you made bank loans for six thousand, five hundred dollars. Besides that, in the same three months you earned a total of seventeen hundred and thirteen dollars and eighty eight cents. Together, that makes eight thousand, two hundred and thirteen dollars and eighty eight cents. What's the point? How is your bank statements, Garvey? You have five different savings accounts in five different banks. They show from February to April, the same three months you made deposits of more than eleven thousand dollars.
Speaker 8: And how to you explain that?
Speaker 3: Jarby any explanation?
Speaker 7: It's almost five o'clock. Can I use the phone? I have to call my wife and let her know.
Speaker 6: All right, we'll have to listen in on the extension.
Speaker 5: Conversation is going to be minehead.
Speaker 3: I don't care.
Speaker 6: Okay, down nine to get an outside line.
Speaker 3: What your staff did it examine? I'm garny, I see him.
Speaker 6: You want to give us an explanation. You only get eighty two hundred dollars? How could you bank eleven thousand? It had to come from somewhere, didn't It? Surely a personal matter, that's all.
Speaker 7: I borrowed three thousand from a brother of mine lives back in Minnesota.
Speaker 3: It already made three loans. What you have to borrow from your brother? You mind telling us?
Speaker 5: Yes, as a matter of fact, I do.
Speaker 6: It still doesn't balance the books. Mister Garvey, you earned and borrowed eighty two hundred dollars. You got another three thousand from your brother. You say that's eleven thousand, two hundred. You banked eleven thousand dollars. Yes, that's right. You always have to repeat I did leave you with two hundred dollars. You and your family lived for three months on two hundred dollars? Is not that can easily be a lot of people do it, yes, or but not your family. I'm getting sick and tired of this. You're trying to tell me you know my family better than I do. What they eat, what they spend, what it takes to support them.
Speaker 3: We've been on this thing for nine months, Garvey. We've put in a lot of you know your family pretty well. If you like, I'll tell you the last time he arda stake from the meat market, when you've paid your gas bill, a last time you wife bought a pair of shoes.
Speaker 7: I guess this is standard procedure for you. I'm threatening people, not threadning you, mister Garvey. We're giving you facts.
Speaker 6: There's another file here. It took us over a month to get this one together. Complete record of your expenses from February first covers February March, April.
Speaker 3: May June.
Speaker 5: I hope the police department has a good lawyer. Sergeant. You've got a.
Speaker 6: Fairwell say you and your I'm sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 7: I hope the police department has a good lawyer. Sergeant. You've got fair warning. I'm going to sue you for your last dollar.
Speaker 6: And you say you and your family lived three months on two hundred dollars, that doesn't jibe with what we've got here.
Speaker 7: Take a look if you want to. It's size forgeries. It's all lies. I promise you photost out of the.
Speaker 6: Receipt for your wife's coat Garvey sixteen hundred and twelve dollars and thirty four cents. That includes the tax paid in full. Photo stat of the contract for your new car down payment.
Speaker 8: Two thousand dollars.
Speaker 6: Flicker bill for the big part of you throw in March March twentieth flicker bill, three hundred and eighty seven dollars. Catering bill, one hundred and ninety four full year's check for tuition, room and board for your kids at the private school you send them to. Eighteen hundred and sixty four dollars and seven cents. That's only the beginning. Garby comes to a lot more than two hundred dollars. Have you heard enough?
Speaker 5: I better try to get my wife again.
Speaker 6: I have to let her know mad new handle extension.
Speaker 3: Yeah all right, go ahead downline to get outside. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 6: You know talking. I know I'm trying to get her stupid. We'll wait a couple of minutes. You get through.
Speaker 7: Gavin on the phone all day long, gab on the phone and play cards. It's else you ever done have.
Speaker 3: Some more figures here fight Garvey would be a good idea if you hear them built for two more parties that through last month's food builds, Like why do you have to keep pushing that stuff at me?
Speaker 7: So you've been sneaking around finding out about my personal affairs. That's supposed to be good police workers. This is the kind of rid off of robbery, Garvey. We're giving you a chance to make a statement. I why should I what for give you a statement? Have you twisted around incriminate me? I haven't had anything to do with this kid, Tyson. I met her trying.
Speaker 3: To call and well down one person.
Speaker 8: I know, I know you ton't. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 8: It's a matter.
Speaker 5: It's a matter with her stupid.
Speaker 8: She ought to know.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to get.
Speaker 6: Us do some Garby, don't forget down line.
Speaker 8: M h.
Speaker 3: M hm. One more. I'll just play I don't want to hear it. I'll just play piece.
Speaker 6: I think you go to hear it's the same rail or just fand it over there to that other.
Speaker 3: Part, right, Tyson, mister Garvey, same place the office.
Speaker 6: M uh but you told me on the phone, you said you had the dough for me today.
Speaker 3: You said to Dad shut and.
Speaker 6: I had him annetic, And I didn't say that at all. I said maybe I'd have it for you. I didn't say definitely.
Speaker 5: Look, I can't give you what I haven't got.
Speaker 3: I want the five minute Darby I needed.
Speaker 6: I stuck my neck out on a Robbie Jell.
Speaker 1: I get five to light.
Speaker 3: All right, what do you say?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 6: She was never satisfied. She never couldn't be satisfied. Always more. She always had something. You mean, your wife, playing cards, gabbing on the phone, that's all. She just kept riding me day in day out. I wasn't making enough money. She didn't have any clothes. Kids ought to go to a better school. We ought to have no how so on and on.
Speaker 7: I had to go in business for myself, make money, lots of money, same thing all the time.
Speaker 5: Talk talk talk, There's only.
Speaker 8: So much you can take.
Speaker 6: You figured the robbery had solved. The problem is I didn't. Yes, So I would have tried anything just to shut her up, get her off my back for a while. I guess you got Tyson hunt the other man.
Speaker 5: Too, Fred Law.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They were picked up this afternoon launch at the Airport, Toisman and Show downtown, all three all at the same time.
Speaker 6: What about your wife, Garby? She know you planned this robbery?
Speaker 5: Why didn't tell her? I think she knows though, pretty sure she does.
Speaker 6: Maybe she'll be satisfied now allows even the money she had to have, it didn't even leave me enough to pay off had kid tyson, private school for the children, wall the wall, carpets in the house, new dish wash or new car.
Speaker 5: Everything she just had to have. M h, you wanna take me?
Speaker 3: Book me in.
Speaker 8: I don't care.
Speaker 6: We'll stop off down the hall.
Speaker 8: Take your statement. Sure, I don't care.
Speaker 6: Why let's go.
Speaker 5: I'll say just a minute it yeah, will you take a minute?
Speaker 6: Good?
Speaker 8: M Yeah, that's what I'm figured.
Speaker 2: The story you have just heard was true. The names were changed to protect the innocent.
Speaker 4: On November fourth, trial was held in Superior Court, Department eighty seven, City and County of Los Angeles, State of California.
Speaker 3: In a moment the results of that trial, Ernest W.
Speaker 4: Garvey and Kenneth Tyson were tried and convicted of first degree robbery one count and received sentences as prescribed by law. Fred Lawrence was tried and convicted of receiving stolen property one count first degree robbery is punishable by imprisonment from five years to life. Receiving stolen property as punishable by a prison term of.
Speaker 3: Not more than five years.
Speaker 4: You have just heard Dragnet, a series of authentic cases from official files. Technical advice comes from the Office of Chief of Police W. H. Parker, Los Angeles Police Department. Heard Tonight where Barney Phillips, Vic Perrin, and Eddie Firestone. Script by Jim Mosy, music by Walter Schumann, Hell Gibney.
Speaker 7: Speaking February eighteenth, Here the Gala City Service Silver Radio Jubilee on NBC.
Speaker 1: Welcome back. Well, I've done the video version of this, and I'm pretty firmly on the record that I don't think much of the TV version that aired in nineteen fifty two of this story. I think it was the weakest story we have from season one because it's kind of visually dull. It's it's a poor choice to adapt to television. It works better on the radio, and you do have the sort of claustrophobic feel you have of what's essentially a three hander. Now you do have a little bit of tape from Tyson and from the fence, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually pre recorded. You get this really sort of claustrophobic story of these characters talking and of our man realizing that the walls are closing in. So it's a more interesting story. It's not one of my favorites, to be honest, even over radio, because essentially it's about a guy who made a lot of dumb mistakes and because of these mistakes, he has cooked and his only tactic is to try to bluster his way through with you know, I'm going to sue you, And the tapes are all faked, but there is something real about this guy, particularly in the way at the end he doesn't really take personal responsibility, putting all the blame on his wife, including for him not paying off Tyson. It's all the things his wife demanded, so he didn't have money to pay off Tyson. Forgetting that he spent nearly the amount that he owed to Tyson on booze from the liquor store. No, it's his wife's fault that he didn't pay Tyson all. And truly, if Tyson had been paid off, he probably goes ahead and leaves town. And even if he doesn't. If Tyson were out of his life before the police got suspicious, this would have been a lot harder to prove, although you still do have that financial trail. But if I'm on a jury, the most damning piece of evidence are those phone calls that he had involving Tyson and where he had these conversations directly with Tyson. And that's on him, despite what he thinks. But now let's go ahead and thank our Patreon supporter of the day. And I want to go ahead and thank Michelle, Patreon supporter since May of twenty twenty one, currently supporting the pond Cast at the Shawmus level of four dollars or more per month. Thanks so much for your support, Michelle, And that will do it for today. If you're enjoying the podcast, please follow us using your favorite podcast software and be sure to rate and review the podcast wherever you download it from. We'll be back next Thursday with another episode of Dragnet. But join us back here tomorrow for yours truly, Johnny Dollar, where.
Speaker 3: I didn't have to wonderful lot.
Speaker 4: Hey, you crazy old code, you sidewinder?
Speaker 3: What the same Hill's the matter with your long Johnny?
Speaker 2: Listen you wild old character.
Speaker 3: Put that thing down and I'll start throw some letter around I I.
Speaker 1: Hope you'll be with us then. In the meantime, send your comments to Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and follow us on Instagram, Instagram, dot com slash Great Detectives from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam graham Son and all