Speaker 1: Imagine a situation where Russia attacks Amazon warehouses. Think of what that would mean for the prices of clothes, books, gifts that you order online. Will they rise? Will your deliveries be delayed or destroyed? These are questions Russians are currently grapping with because Ukraine is attacking Russia's Amazon. Wild Berries is Russia's largest online marketplace, commonly referred to as Russia's Amazon, and for nearly three weeks now, Ukraine has attacked more than a dozen of its warehouses and storage facilities across Russia and occupied Crimea. Ukraine says these are providing logistics support to the Russian military. Let's get more from a fabri sport here. He CEO at Prismus and Global and in National political consultancy firm, and he was also former director of Policy Planning at NATO for six years. If I'm not wrong for breeze, welcome, thanks for making the time. They have been repeated Ukrainian attacks, including overnight on wild Berries facilities. Why is Ukraine attacking wild Berries?
Speaker 2: Well, clearly there are different purposes here that are being pursued by the Ukrainian forces.
Speaker 3: First, Whiteberries is.
Speaker 2: Clearly aiding the Russian war economy by supplying its armed forces, which you can assume means also supplying the whole logistic effort from Russia to occupy Ukraine. So that's one objective, but clearly there is a bigger objective at Plague here, which is too, in a way bring.
Speaker 3: Back war to its center.
Speaker 2: To continue on the mailing and Amazon image here, and I think they're going after a chalk point and Whiteberry is, like you said earlier, the Russian Amazon and therefore is in a way a shock point of the Russian society and economy. And look at the level of debt of the company, ten million dollars of debt. This means that this company has to be supported by the state owned banks.
Speaker 3: If not, if it were to go down, if it were to go bankrupt, it will probably have a domino effect on the economy.
Speaker 4: So in a way, just to conclude here, I think around the Ukrainians are trying to aid target one of the companies that is supporting the Russian war machine, be trying to also disrupt the way of life, the Russian way of life, and bring war back to where it comes from. And see I think it's trying to create a kind of economic sension through kinetic means, because it's putting further pressure on the Russian economy.
Speaker 1: A number of things to pass through, a number of things to discuss. Let's take up that first idea that Ukraine says this that wild Berries is helping the Russian military with logistics. You also have the wild Berry CEO, Tatiana Kim, calling Ukraine quote terrorists, and she tried to push back against this Ukrainian claim that terrorists that I'm sorry that wild Berries is supporting the Russian military. Let's just listen to what she had to say.
Speaker 5: When attacking US terrorists cover up their true motives and accuse us of allegedly selling military goods. But you can go on any global marketplace like Amazon or Ali Baba and see if we have what they don't. There's no logic, common sense, or rationality in the terrorists' actions, and there can be none. The enemy itself has publicly stated that the attacks on wild Berries are aimed at ordinary citizens.
Speaker 1: All right, So that was a se there. So is this an attack at ordinary citizens or an attack at a company that is allegedly supporting the Russian war effort?
Speaker 2: Well, first, as you mentioned This is the CEO, and this is the richest woman in Russia, and she this is open source.
Speaker 3: She has a close relationship with Vladimir Puttin.
Speaker 2: Her company was merged with another company some years ago which was entirely supported by the Kremlin. So, and I think it's important to realize that the Russian economy is not a civilian economy in the in the census in Germany or anywhere else in the European Union.
Speaker 3: This is an.
Speaker 6: Economy where the oldigachs have been asked explicitly by Vladimi Puttin to support the war efforts, to both give cash to basically public coffers, but also to mobilize the companies and the production capacity two for the warfort This is a country where more than ten percent of the GDP goes into military capabilities.
Speaker 3: So there's nothing, there's.
Speaker 2: No clear demarcation that we say, as in other mobilign peaceful societies between war and peace.
Speaker 3: And so you can assume that.
Speaker 2: Wildeberry, being such a building block of the Russian economy, is also directly and indirectly supporting this and supporting possibly the logistic of.
Speaker 3: The Russian forces.
Speaker 2: So I think it's important to focus on the peculiarity of the Vladimir put In war economy and the fact that the largest one of the largest Russian company cannot be said to be outside this war economy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm trying to understand wild Berries is, Yes, of course the largest online retailer in Russia. But how does targeting wild Berries have such a big impact on the Russian war effort?
Speaker 2: Well, look at where the Ukrainians have also been doing against the Russian logistic clients to resupply Crimea. I think you can see there's a very deliberate strategy since I would say three four months, to except pressure not just on the Russian troops that are illegally occupying the Ukrainian territory, but on everything that supports these troops.
Speaker 3: So I think this is part of this.
Speaker 2: Kind of in depth or depth deep sorry strike and pressure points that the Ukrainians are creating on the Russian world port.
Speaker 1: You were talking earlier about its connection to the Russian banking network. I mean the name VTB the Russian bank comes up. What more can you tell us about that and what is the leverage here that Ukraine potentially has.
Speaker 2: Well, clearly, I think what you are contemplating here is that most probably VTB, a state owned bank, will have to bail out a wine Berry which, as I mentioned, is completely over leverage and therefore needs some public injection or injection of public money. And I think it's important to realize what it means right now for the Russian and economy, which is already overheating, that is already at a high inflation, highly leveraged economy, which is trying to actually bring that low economy inflation to a cooler level. So this is obviously going to create further pressure on Putting's wat chest and creating a more complicated economic situation for him, which is I think what the Ukrainians are trying to do. This might not be producing a decisive outcome, This might not be producing a reverse of Putting's position on Ukraine, but this might actually start putting a higher cost on what he's doing there.
Speaker 1: How many times over the past few years have we had a conversation about putting pressure on the Russian economy. We've talked about European sanctions, We've talked about US sanctions until the war goes on. We're entering the fifth year now, I mean, is this going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back or is this going to be more of the same.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a good question.
Speaker 2: I think clearly we're saying that there is no straw that breaks the camels back as such, but there is an escalation of the economic cost of Putin's action and illegal invasion of Ukraine, and I think that's why the Ukrainians are trying to do food this.
Speaker 3: In depth strike.
Speaker 1: Earlier, you were talking about the impact on Russian consumers. We are, of course talking about the largest online retailer, the online marketplace in Russia. Do you think the Russia's consumers do you not think that they're I don't know, very resilient. And the reason I bring this up is because remember at the start of the war, lots of Western brands left the country, So Starbucks, I Kia, these are the brands that left. There were other Russian entities that replaced them. I think what is it? It is stars Coffee replaced Starbucks, Redhouse replaced Ikea, and do Not all replaced Dunkin. So they always appear to be alternatives that Russia is able to create for its consumers. Do you think something like that could potentially happen here. Given if you're talking about what seems like a resilient consumer market, well, I.
Speaker 2: Think brasilient, but also paying a much higher price because actually it's not entirely correct that the Russians have been going for alternative brands. They're actually willing to pay a premium to buy the same goods that were.
Speaker 7: Buying before directly from Western brands, but this time via alternate you know, secondary economies like Central Asia and other countries that are still open to do business with.
Speaker 3: Russia, and they're paying it extremely high premium for this.
Speaker 2: So I think they're not given up on their addiction to luxury and comfort.
Speaker 3: And I think this is also what the Ukrainians are trying to do.
Speaker 2: They're trying to inject the notion that their country, Russia, has waged.
Speaker 3: A five year illegal war against Ukraine. And you come do.
Speaker 2: That from sitting comfortably in your Russian living room.
Speaker 3: Ordering goods on white Berry.
Speaker 2: There is a cost to that, because this is a whole of a country effort. This is not a benign society. It's important to realize this. Let me put In has been in power for twenty years. There's a put In generation here, and the Russian population holds some degree of responsibility to what Putin is doing in Ukraine. If not, they would have been actually doing what it takes to actually change the.
Speaker 3: Course of things, and they have not done that.
Speaker 8: So I think the Ukrainian are trying to kind of really put a cost not just on Puttin's war economy and the cost of sustaining it, but also on this notion that you can be living in Russia in complete luxury and you know, consumer goods.
Speaker 3: Come forth and at the same time.
Speaker 2: Rate kill and destroy the Ukrainian society and country. And I think this is why the Ukrainians are trying to reverse intern of the table.
Speaker 1: Here we leave it there for the moment. For Brisport here a CEO of Arasmusen Global. Always a pleasure talking to you, Thanks for the time, pleasure. And with no sign of the campaign against wild berries slowing down, we will watch with interest to see just how far this pressures Russians and the Russian economy. And just this morning the company announced that it would build a huge warehouse in Kazakhstan, presumably to keep its goods out of harm's way. The situation is moving fast. Keep up to date with all the leaders here on YouTube or on our app or at DW dot com.