Speaker 1: Greetings, Full Circle listeners. This is your host, Charles Tyson Jr. The following interview with Joseph Ahmed is a delightful conversation that you are going to enjoy. Just a quick note, sometimes technology is not my friend. So if it sounds like I'm yelling from across the room into the computer for all intents and purposes, let's just say that's what happened. It gets better and then it's fine. Hope you enjoy the show and thank you for listening. Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to another special episode a Full Circle the podcast. I am your host Charles Tyson Junior and two days guest I am thrilled to sit down and chat with. They are an artist of many mini mediums which automatically earns a warm spot in my heart. Starting January twenty first, twenty twenty six, they will be starring in the one person show Draw the Circle, presented by Hedgerow Theater Company in Philadelphia. We're going to hear a lot about that, I'm sure, plus countless other fabulous and fears things from our guest, Joseph Ahmed. Welcome to the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 2: Joseph, thank you, it's late to be here. It is a pleasure to have you.
Speaker 1: So, as I said, you are an artist who likes to you like hyphens from what I did say, so besides being an actor a thespian, how many hyphens are we talking here?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I do love a hyphen It's always difficult to talk about the many things I do in a way that this is synct and so, especially in my most recent bio, I just started using the word over hyphenated to describe myself, which is it's really doing good for me right now. So I don't know the exact number. I think my current bio has something like ten or so different things all linked together with the little dashes. I come from an acting background primarily, that's the main thing I've been trained to do. I went to a theater Arts BFA program at Boston University for college, but sort of from there, I've expanded into so many different things. I act, I direct, I'm a playwright, I'm a dancer. I've worked as a circus artist. I'm a teaching artist across both theater and circus. I have founded my own company that focuses on interactive performance, so things that are immersive and also like sort of ennshed with game design. I have a bunch of musical instruments. There's probably a bunch of things that I'm forgetting many things on the admin side as well. I feel like, as is true of many different Philadelphia artists, I am very much like I think a truth of this scene unless you're really trying to be in a particular niche is that a lot of the most exciting stuff, while there's not a lot of money attached to it, happens in sort of that realm where everyone is like wants to be and is doing a million things at once and juggling all of their hats. So apart from literally being a juggler, which I am, I also metaphorically juggle my many hyphens and hats across all the things I do.
Speaker 1: That's called being marketable.
Speaker 2: That's right, so long as you figure out how to talk about it all market right.
Speaker 1: I used to just say I do things.
Speaker 2: I mean honestly, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like and a lot of it comes from necessity. It's like, I can't afford to hire a graphic designers, so I guess I better learn how to do graphic design.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my primary at my company that I co founded off this agency, My primary job right now is doing a lot of our like grant running and development work, which was not a thing I set out to do, but I have had to learn it by necessity and now I am good at it. And that is the reality of living this life valuable.
Speaker 1: I always think of that old in Living Color sketch, the Jamaican family, the Headleys, and they all have like ten thousand jobs, and the wife is like the meta D. I serve the tea and look at me, I'm heavy. D Like, That's always what I say.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: So are you a Philadelphia native?
Speaker 2: Two people not from this area? Yes, to people from this area. No, I'm from South Jersey. I grew up in Pittsack, and so like the twenty minute drive from the Ben Franklin Bridge, so very much in meshed in a lot of Philly culture, rotten for the Eagles, all that good stuff, Go birds, Go birds. Exactly what a season that's been, Oh my god. But yeah, but so I was in this, you know the situation of like coming to Philly constantly for field trips and visits and et cetera. And I did a bunch of like theater things here in the city when I was a teenager and whatnot. But then after I went to college, I moved back to the city formerly and I think it was twenty late twenty fourteen, early twenty fifteen, okay, And so it's been a little over a decade that I've been fully enmeshed in Philly and living in the city.
Speaker 1: Now, okay, so you did the reverse of me. I lived in Philly for I'm just going to say multiple decades and then moved to South Jersey. And I always say it takes the same amount of time to cross the bridge and go to Philly as it took me to ride the thirty four trolley into Center City.
Speaker 2: So absolutely, absolutely, it just happens to be that there's a different state and a cover.
Speaker 1: Charge coverage charge, get at. I never thought of it that way, but yeah, and I should start asking at the toll like I ask at clubs, what does this get me? Besides in.
Speaker 2: I love that, But now it's not even like a person there. Most of the time you're just like yelling at the easy.
Speaker 1: Past thing exactly. And you know, the extroverted introvert that I am. I love easy pass.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, tell me about it. Not having to have a random transaction. It's great.
Speaker 1: Like the first time I ever ordered grub hub and didn't have to speak to someone, I was like, this is the golden age. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's so funny because you know, as someone who is you know, the thing I've spent the most time on artistically in my life is acting, and I so really I relate to this so hard. I'm like, I do not want to have that little transaction. I don't want to do it. It is so stressful for me. But oh going on stage and doing a ninety minute solo performance in front of strangers, great, love it, eat it up.
Speaker 1: How insane is that?
Speaker 2: It's so it's I mean, I've been thinking about it my whole life and like, what is this? What does this mean about me? What is the psychology of this? I don't have great answers. I have many conjectures.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I was thinking about this recently. It's like, you know, for years, I just thought I was the hugest whore, just out there all the time, putting my face everywhere, making sure that I'm seen and heard. But the second I'm not on stage or just on it's like, don't look at me. So my life was like look at me, look at myself, looking at.
Speaker 2: Me totally totally. It's like, you know, I really I've been thinking about this with this particular show too, with called The Circle, because I really struggle with like sort of coming out as an actor after the show and like greeting people and having conversations. I want to do it, but then I'm also like, I just have so much I have a lot of social anxiety baseline, and so a lot of it comes up around that where I'm like, oh, I want to come out and be available to people to talk to if they want to like talk about, especially like a show that has so many like you know, deep themes happening and like intense things as this play does. And also I don't want to be like and everyone wants to talk to me because I'm a star and here I am and like have expectations on people. And it's just always it's always funny that I'm like, yeah, doing this performance, that's so easy, And then even just the moment after the show of like coming back to those conversations is so much more complicated for me to navigate.
Speaker 1: Well, well, first of all, that was a very good segue into talking about the show. No, but but yeah, it's like when you're when you're on stage, even though you can see the audience, they're not really real, They're not really there. I was to a face to face conversation, was.
Speaker 2: Like, Hi, right, totally, where do we start?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So, yes, please tell us about this show Drop the Circle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the play is draw the Circle by I may pronounce the playwright's name, so deep forgiveness for me, I hope if I do. But mush of Mushtuck Dean is the playwright, and this play is really fascinating. It is an autobiographical solo show at its core that Dean wrote about his own experience. The thing that is really two things are really unique about it and this presentation of the play. One is that the play is told in its original form without the playwright's own voice in it at all. So it is Dean playing eighteen other or seventeen other people in his life around this journey of his gender transition journey and their conflicts, reactions, their love, their anger, their disappointment, their relief, etc. Through that journey, and so as opposed to most autobiographical solo shows, of which I've done one myself in Philly a few years ago, where you're like, it's my story and so it's me here on the mic in the light center stage, this play instead does the opposite, and it draws this circle of characters around the central figure, and you see Dean only kind of in silhouette. Is the image that I've been using to describe it, because you see them sort of refracted through all the different ways that people are seeing him. And the thing that's really interesting about this production of it is that this is the first time that the play has been presented with out Dean being the performer, and so there's three different ways it can be presented in the script. There's a version for the playwright, which is the main one that was incubated to interact here in Philly actually and then performed a few different places. There's a version that I'm not sure if it's been done for three actors, and then one for an actor who is not the playwright, which just needs to be a South Asian actor of any gender needs to be cast in it. And so this is the first time that this play is happening through a body that is not the playwrights, and so there's a new epilogue that Dean has written that is actually from his voice that I deliver. And so it's been a really fascinating experience for me, especially as someone who like I'm on my own gender journey, and I've also done an autobiographical solo show before, to be stepping into something that is so so tender and so personal and also has this really interesting layer of distance that has been created in it to bring in these other voices. I almost feel like one of the circle of characters, of like another person who is now sort of reflecting myself into an off of Dean's story.
Speaker 1: Right, that is fascinating. That is You're right that is not a common way of doing a one person show, you know, because I've seen several myself, and it's very like either it's very good or, as I've said before, if I want to watch someone masturbate on stage, I'm not going to spend money on a theater ticket, you know what I mean. But I love the idea of basically telling the story around yourself, drawing the circle. So you mentioned that you are on your own gender journey. How has that affected an impacted, influenced and formed your performance in this show.
Speaker 2: That's a great question, and I'll I think I'll wonder a bit in my answer because there's a lot of like processing around.
Speaker 1: It that I'm free, I'll follow you.
Speaker 2: One of the one of the cool things that there's a phrase I think that I so I ended up actually, you know, it is often like a director's note in programs for a show. For this production, actually the director, Andrew was not that interested in writing a director's note, and I actually ended up writing a performer's note because I was really interested, especially with the how personal the show was about, like sort of reflecting on this kind of stuff of like how does my own racial and cultural and gender experience relate to what Dina's going through? And I wrote that my gender identity I am tracking down somewhere in the non binary wilds, was the phrase I wrote for this program note, which feels quite accurate to me. Yeah, I'm in a place of over the last chunk of years, finding my way into something. I've been using the label gender fluid for a while. I've a non binary is feeling more true to me in some ways these days, but it's very much a journey that I'm still sort of like deep in a pretty slow evolution of. And it's been really interesting in this moment stepping into the story because it this story feels trans to me in a couple of different and really interesting ways. One of them is obviously that is it is the story of a transman's transition process, right, And so in that way it is like a really like authentic and bare and vulnerable articulation of that. So it's really like fascinating for my body to step into that story and to feel what i'd like to feel, the resonance and friction to my own journey, where it's so clear both that I'm like, oh, yeah, my gender journey is very different and then this person's and also there are things that resonate and there are things that affirm what I'm going through. And on the other side, the act of performing this play is an act of constant transformation of like every two minutes, changing into a different gender, a different character, a different age. And so it is a really like interestingly like fractured, fragmented experience to just do as a person, as a body that feels like, yeah, that feels like this constant sort of act of like stepping into and out of and trying on and taking off. And one of the things that I think is so generous about what Dean shares in his journey is that, like, as much as there's always what I I guess into it, and again, you know, in all of this, I think that it is important to draw a distinction of like there is sort of my understanding of Dean, that is, who is a character in this play has that is very similar to the actual person and who the actual person is, And so you know, I'm able to speak from my knowledge of the character and what that says about the real person behind it. But what I find in the story is that as much as there's Dean experienced a strong feeling of generics, waria, a search for gender euphoria and for an identity and a body that would fit with who is inside, that that was not a linear journey, and that there were so many different times of like arrival in a sense of an identity and then a realization that didn't quite fit, and a trying on of a trying to searching and trying to figure out what the right thing is, and that has been really affirming to me as a person who I think it's easy. I think a lot of the stories that I've received, especially from people who are like really out and have been really out for a long time, of there being a level of like certainty and clarity from a young age and that and my experience is so much more of like of questioning and of search and of being in strange gray areas and often feeling like, oh, yeah, like, am I enough this? Like do I deserve to take up space in my identity in this way? Is that? Okay? Am I stepping on other people's toes by doing that? And I've and it's been really so it's been really helpful to step into a story that I think on the surface, I was like, oh, this feels so much more valid as a trans story than my own, and to be recognizing that, Like, while I do think there are like reasons why the Dean's story is important to be told as a transfer because of the kind of like, yeah, because of the way that the rhetoric of the world, because of the way that the world reacts to that kind of transition is really different than mine, But also it has been really affirming of the kind of the searchingness, the questingness, the the unknownness of how I've been trying to, yeah, figure out the words, the things that close, the expressions that match the person I am inside and who that person is I keep changing.
Speaker 1: I was watching you as you were describing it and talking about it. It's like, yeah, it's this nebulous like dance almost, you know, and I feel the same way. It's like I cringe a little bit. And this is the personal thing when someone says I don't believe in labels, because usually something low key problematic is coming after that. But when I was going through was going through, like I'm done going through my own journey. I landed for a minute on non binary, and I started like using they them pronouns, and that didn't feel authentic, you know what I mean. I'm like, so I was sitting in that like, well, I am this, I'm not that, but I'm also kind of not that, you know, you know what I mean. So then I'm just like, I guess I'm just me. And then I'm like, oh god, I'm one of those I don't believe in labels people, What do I do?
Speaker 2: Totally? I mean, yeah, I feel that tension a lot because I think that, like I've been running into this. Yeah, I think both in like gender things and also in like other aspects of my life and art of like words are important, words are useful, words mean things, words help us define space where its help us bring people together. And also language is constantly evolving. Language can be exclusionary, language can be hurtful, and I think, yeah, I'm trying to find the place with all of this where I can live in the like whatever we are using as language is our best guests right now, right and no one is ever going to fully agree on the thing. It's all going to keep changing. The words we're using right now in fifty years will probably be incredibly offensive, like you know, right who knows, and being like great, I'm just gonna try to let go a little and at least for myself. The thing I've been finding is like I am tracking down my gender identity somewhere in the non binary wilds. The like poetry of that does a thing for me that is different than being like I might be gender fluid or non binary, I don't really know. You know, there's something about like embracing the power of language to speak beautifully about the in between places that calls to me as an artist and writer, as opposed to just like trying to make new boxes so I can fit into the new right box.
Speaker 1: Right, And it's like, spend so much time fighting the concept of the box. So it's like.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly exactly, I'm like, right, and then how to do that without being like I don't believe in labels, you know, like it's complication, right.
Speaker 1: So it's like, Okay, I am male, I am not a woman, but when you say you're a man, then I go because I look at men, I'm like no, a.
Speaker 2: No, yea, yeah, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 1: Like if you could speak in different fonts, maybe that would help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, my god, yeah absolutely yeah.
Speaker 1: The search for expression, right, if I could find a way to say it in like hell Vetica, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I love that. No, I totally, I totally like yeah, cause I'm like, yeah, I'm like, you know, not a man and also like a man, and like both of those feel true in my body. And I have been socialized, I've been seen, I received the privileges of being a man in many ways. I still continue to and I don't think that I'm going to be undergoing, at least I don't think so. I don't know, but I don't think I'm gonna be undergoing the kind of transition where like those privileges are, that kind of socialization fully goes away and how I express myself unperceived. And so it does feel right to me to be like, yeah, the label of man still is a part of the word cloud of me. But I get to like, yeah, I get to like move those fridge magnets around myself. I get to be in in the act of the poetry of shaping what that story is. And that's one of the words that I can or cannot use. And it's one of the things that is so fascinating inspiring about the way this play is written, because I'm like, this play is dead naming Dean all over the place. It is not Dean's current pronouns all over the place. It is Dean's dead name all over the place. And it is really weird because we'll be in the room and we'll be out of a scene and will use accidentally use Dean's dead name just because that's what is in the script and in the scene we're talking about, and then we'll all be like, oh oh sorry, oh God. And it is one of those sort of like acts of generosity and vulnerability that is in this play that is really kind of like sounding to me. And I know that for many people like that might feel really especially fancile, it might be feel really weird and hard to hear on stage. And I think at least for me and how I'm sitting the I know that generosity is not for everyone. But it's been really moving to see and to get to experience that kind of generosity for this person, because it does feel like this story has given me a view into their experience, that I into this person's experience that I wouldn't have had without that. I'm very grateful for that act of vulnerability, not that it is an act of vulnerability for everyone.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, those you used two very accurate words with that generous and vulnerable. It's like I'm just going to say, it's like trans Jesus, I'm doing this for all of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there is like, right, there is this element of and it's a thing I have a lot as an artist, you know, someone who makes me own work of like and even just as a body, as an actor, right of like the things we go through to like to perform, and the rigorous of that. Yeah, there is an element of like sacrificing, an element something about myself to offer to this like greater whole of the public. I really reject the like suffering or starving artist trope. I'm like, that's a dangerous thing, and like I think that healing and thriving artists make better art than suffering and starving artists. And yet there is a truth that there is a Yeah, I think that there is a way in which some people are called to transform private pain into public transformation. Yeah, and that is a special thing that, yeah, that some people are willing to offer, and that I'm grateful that we get to receive as a culture.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm still the thriving artists make better art. That's a that is an internal debate I have been having because for the longest time, I was wearing my struggle as an artist as like a badge of authenticity. You know, I'm in these streets, I'm about it. Yeah, I don't have lights. But you saw that show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, it's such a it's so complicated, right, because I do think that and you know I called back a little bit too. What is it Hannah Gadsby's special in the net? Yes, yeah, right, like Van Go painted this, we had to sell we have the sun flowers because he was healing, because he was taking medication, not because he was crazy, right right that. I think that that that really spoke to me. And I think it's a thing, especially you know, like running my own arts company, both in like obvious agency little so I'm like, I've recently stepped into being part of the leadership team of Philadelphia Asian Performing Artists, which is a local grassroots collective group. PAPA for short is the grassroots membership based collective that is around connecting supporting people of Pan Asian descent who are involved in the performing arts in the Philadelphia area. Has been around for about eight years. The longtime creative director of My Dear Friend, Karramira has just stepped down and a group of us have stepped in a sort of leadership committee to take it over. Very cool organization. We'll see. We're very much like in the place of like, oh, what do we do with this now, Let's see what people need. But it's been really inspiring in it's a thing that I've thought about a lot in both of those leadership roles. I'm losing my train of thought. Where was like, where are we just before this? Uh?
Speaker 1: Thriving artists us?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, that it is so. When I am thriving, when I have time, when I have space, when my nervous system is less activated, I can be more creative baseline. And I think that there's this thing of like, oh, because it is true that people have resisted through art so much, and the art that people have created in resistance has been so beautiful, there is i think an assumption that like beauty would not exist that people were not thriving. And I'm like, thriving doesn't mean that there's no pain. Life hurts, people die, like things happen, like there is still going to always be suffering and pain in life. And I think that the thing that thriving artists, healing artists get is that they get to translate that pain into public understanding and an inspiration and whatever else it wants to be from a place of being well themselves instead of from a place of being hurt and poor and dying, which is so true of so many artists.
Speaker 1: Right, That's very, very true like I like to say, you can authentically be from the streets without being in the streets.
Speaker 2: Absolutely right. And also like, you know, my my friend I have, dear friend Daniel, who runs obviously agency with me, talks a lot about like not trying to get into the impression Olympics with each other.
Speaker 1: You know, say it again, right, because like we're yeah, we're all because no one wins.
Speaker 2: No one wins, right, because we're all. We all should be on the same team. We al should be on the same team. We all should be in solidarity, even you know, the people out here in their tech jobs. We are making two hundred thousand dollars a year still in the scheme of the world and what's happening. We should be on the same team, right, Like it doesn't feel like it because there's a lot of reasons why forces don't want us to feel like we're on the same team. And yeah, I think that, And well again, I mean, hey, we're circling back full circle to draw the Circle. Which is the other thing that feels really important to say about the sort of specific story at the heart of Draw the Circle is that it's really about at its core, Dean's relationship with his partner, and his parents, especially South Asian parents, conservative in the way that I think that a lot of South Asian people of that generation are when coming in contact with queerness, with gender queerness, et cetera, with transness. And the thing that is so special about the play is, in so many ways the thing that I think is so so easy and so common to do and often right, I think, to do for protection, right of like, these people do not understand me, and so and they will not understand me, and so I am going to draw a boundary. We are going to disconnect, and this distance is going to be created between us. The thing that Dean has done in models in the play is being like, I refuse to do that. I am going to continue to reach out. I'm going to continue to seek understanding with these people and continue to try to draw a circle that brings them in. And so much of the play is the act of Dean choosing to do that and trying to do that again and again, trying to be like, you're not going to get this, but I'm going to tell you these things and learning about myself and I'm going and I'm going to love you, and I'm going to want you to love me back and understand me. And I think that, Yeah, it's such a generous thing. I think, especially in a moment where there is there are so many echo chambers. There is such division that has been created in society through politics, through how our social spaces are like parasocial social media spaces are mediated that I have been really inspired by the what I experienced is the radicalness of that, like, no, I'm not going to let this circle shut people out. I'm going to continue to try to open it. And they continue to try to tell people they belong, even when that's hard, even when they've hurt me, especially when I might have hurt them, especially when it's hard exactly. I find it very inspiring and like, yeah, it's easier said than done, but it's the thing I'm thinking about a lot in my own personal life.
Speaker 1: Nice So we talked about how your approach to the character is influenced and informed by your own gender journey. How much does your biracial identity come into play as well.
Speaker 2: It's a great question.
Speaker 1: It's another area that you and I like, Oh.
Speaker 2: You're you're in the You're in the viracial as well. Respect the little village of us who all live together and have meet ups. Yeah, I really again have been another very good and complex question for me a biracial I am on my mom's side white American for many generations, but also that that ties back to like Ireland, England, Holland those types of places. And then on my dad's side, my dad is a first generation immigrant from Bombladesh, so I am Bangladeshi just sort of like, I don't even know how far.
Speaker 1: Back on that side since been sinceman, Yeah, who knows.
Speaker 2: There's probably some other things in there far enough back, but I don't know. And the thing that has been so interesting in this is, especially as a biracial person, what a what a complexity to being an actor in the American theater, because this is the first time I have played, outside of my own work or a staged reading, a South Asian person on stage. This is the first time, outside of those contexts that I have had to use any South Asian accent, had to do an Indian accent. It's also the first time, therefore, also that I've played like a non Cis South Asian personage. I have played so many other people. I have been Mexican, I have been Hawaiian. I have been Haitian for some reason.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, from the north side.
Speaker 2: I like, this's been inside for a while from the So it's really amazing to be in a story that is so South Asians. It just like feels like such an honor and such a rare circumstance for like the moment and the person to align that I actually get to be in this way nice and similarly to Transnis, I think in like, in stepping into this show, I've had to struggle through a lot of feelings of not being trans enough and not being Asian enough to do the plan and I have and these are also just like struggles I have in my life. I have the constant struggle I'm feeling Asian enough. A lot of this for me comes back to the fact that, unlike I think a lot of South Asian families and Dean's family in the play, where there is this weight of a whole bunch of cultural expectations that get put onto kids, I didn't really have them because of the way that my family has made up. I was sort of more thought of as like you're kind of like my white kid, Like you're kind of your mom's kid. And like I'm gonna not and there's some decision between the two of them of like sort of which expectations would be laid on me and which weren't. In some ways, that's been very and it's almost it's been very like alienating and distancing from my identity and for my family. And so it's been really interesting because I have had to navigate a lot through those feelings of not being Asian enough, and it's been really lovely the moments. Some moments in the story I'm like, oh, yeah, man, this was not my experience at all. And then there's these other just like small moments that will come out. Oh, I'm like, oh, this is so Truely. There's this moment where a lot of the play is based around this one thing, like intense Thanksgiving that they had together, and at the end of that Thanksgiving, the mom is describing like packing up food to go and she's putting it in the yogurt containers and labeling it and then tying those up tightly in a plastic bag so they won't leak. And I was just like, this is exactly what my mom and that she family does. Like to a tee, this is just like write on the notes, and so it's been really lovely of finding those bits of connection and moments, and then a lot of it also being like, oh, yeah, like I am, it is right that I'm in this story, but I'm stepping into experiences that are not necessarily mine, but are like within the culture that I exist in and come from. And once I got through some of my feelings about that, it has been a really lovely experience to get to Yeah, to get to meet some of those experiences from a place of embodiment, which as a person who's like very kinesthetic, very in my body, that has been. Yeah, it's felt like a real gift, even though it's sometimes surreal, Like there's a sura from the Koran that I recite in the play, and my father is Muslim, Muslim from any generations back on that side, but I have not like been like Islam has not been passed along to me in my family. And so this was my first time reciting or learning or reciting any of the Quran, and I'm doing it on the stage in a play for the paying public, and that is kind of cool and also deeply weird.
Speaker 1: Right, So, yeah, it sounds like you share that feeling that I get of like when you're a biracial person, you are you have that insider and outsider perspective at the same time, and it's always fun like when you're in mixed company, like the things that will get said to you because they didn't think you were the thing that there's.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, well right, Like even within multiracial biracial experience, Like there are so many fridays of that, Like I have a bunch of I have the great gift of having met and understood so myself to be in community with more biracial people as I've in like the last decade and in Philly, a lot of people I've met through Papa are biracial or multi racial, and it's been interesting also starting to notice some of the different nuances of it, right of like yeah, like what is it to be biracial but really have the cultural expectations versus like really not as I have, Like that's a really different experience. And I have friends who I joke with about belonging to white mom's club. There's a bunch of us who are like, yeah, we got but white mom, we got brown dad. That's one dynamic and we're like, Oh, but the white Dad's club. That's a whole different dynamic, at least on the Asian side. Right, that's a whole different thing. It shows up differently how stuff gets passed down, even to like what your last name is, Like how white coated is your last name? Right, white mom's club, We got that brown last name a lot of the time. That does different things as you're growing up. So it is really interesting. I'm very fascinated by the nuances of all this stuff and how culture and time and age and racial identity, how all of those sort of forces come together for any one person, I think is like a deeply fascinating thing to explore. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love those moments of shorthand you get when you're on that insider, insider side, and then those moments of observation almost like you know, like you you're Jane Goodall sometimes.
Speaker 2: Totally yeah, outsider all the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And every now and again I will come across some like the way someone will approach like I have a friend Etola. He's a choreographer, and he and I are so similar creatively in so many ways, like the way we the kind of music we like to use, the way we hear the music, but the output is so different from him, And sometimes I go, you were, like me, if both my parents had been black, that's so interesting. You ever have like those kind of moments.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I don't know if I've ever had like that exact thought about it person, but I mean, I mean it's to some degree, you know, in like taking a Dean story, I am like, oh, yeah, man, right, if I had, if I had had two South Asian parents, I would have gotten those cultural expectations, Like a lot of this stuff would have landed on me, like me being a theater artist in a querness, like all of these different things would have like I would have butted up against these things directly in a way that I'm like sort of half glanced off of in a different way. Yeah, it's so interesting. I'm very curious for you because this was experience for me. It's like it it took me until after college for me to like really start to like connect to people around being biracial in like a deeper way, like I was sort of I feel like before that, I was sort of like, oh, kind of not anything I don't or like this person's also right, verycial, but we don't really know how to talk to each other or like be in solidarity like communication around that. Really. Yeah, I'm very curious what your experience of that has been with like other biracial people.
Speaker 1: With other biracial people, I've always we've always had that kinship of you know, that insider outsider thing. I was always growing up as a biracial black person whose mother was white and father was black, but living in a predominantly black neighborhood and going to predominantly black schools from K through twelve, I was never allowed to not think about it because I would always be reminded. So it wasn't until I got to college that I actually like leaned into my blackness. So it's like you have to go all the way to the other side before you can like find that nice little because you know, I was the white boy from K through twelve, and then I was like going to go the other way in college. So yeah, you find that sweet spot in the middle, and you realize that's not as uncommon of a scenario.
Speaker 2: Right you thought it these days twenty twenty six, Like we're out here, Yeah, that's a well white mom's club. Nice to know we're both in this club together.
Speaker 1: Right, that needs to be a like an actual white.
Speaker 2: I mean, Lissa, we can do meetups like, I'm here for it. I think, well, I have so I have a Cordoration child now because I'm a white partner and we had a baby a little over a year ago. And congratulations so much, because thank you so much. It's a delight and also it's the hardest thing ever. Uh huh. And I'm thinking about a lot because I'm like, oh, man, Cordoration, that's a whole different ballgame. I like, I don't know, and I'm not going to assume I know what that is going to be like for this person, right, And I'm glad I have the knowledge to know that I don't know. But I'm already like, oh, okay, like this kid over here, I see you. You're also corre Asian. Y'all should talk. I don't know if you're gonna care to do that, but I want you to at least like know each other so you can talk about some shit, right right. But yeah, I mean I really relate to that because I you know, especially as like growing up in like a pretty diverse school district in South Jersey, but like one that was pretty small on Asian people, like I very much was like I'm white, like that's essentially what I am, Like, I'm kind of this other thing about mostly white. And it also took me like a while to be like, no, I get to be Asian too, and that's okay, and that's allowed and not just in a commodified way, which it can often be because of theater, right, I mean it's part of why, like I actually don't act as like acting as much as it's what I've done the most of like regional theater acting is not a big amount of what I do these days. I don't go out traditions a lot because honestly, like it's uncomfortable, like as a person who exists outside of like a little bit outside of gender and very much outside I did easy racial categories, like it could be really uncomfortable the kind of boxes that I get put into, or the boxes that I'm just like not thought of for because I'm sort of this vague other And it often, even if it's not meant to and even if people are like, you know, doing the best they can on the artistic director's side, it can feel really oppressive a lot of times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember, like if I had a nickel for every time someone said you could be angel in Rent that's a thing for you, right, I guess now that would be like you could be in Hamilton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, totally totally.
Speaker 1: Because that's that's what there is for brown folks, because that's right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean that's one of the reasons that like, you know, I think like I mean, like plays like this, like making while I also care about making my own work and making new work so much is there's I think what we rely on existing cannon for the kind of art that we're doing, especially in an art forum that interacts with bodies in the way that theater does. It really limits the stories we're able to tell. It really limits the kind of experiences that we can put on stage because we're constantly asking people of like really rich, interesting experiences in their bodies to fit themselves into Tennessee Williams, right, and to fit themselves into whatever or we're like in Shakespeare. But it's now, it's a it's you know, now's Asians, right, you know, I know.
Speaker 1: Like what do we which also sounds like weird, I.
Speaker 2: Mean yeah, but it's you know it and there's there's nothing wrong with doing that, But I think that and I respect people who are like, that's my back, that's what I want to do. I think the thing that I know for myself is that I am most called to new stuff. And even though this play has been around for a bit, it feels like it falls draw the circle, feels like it falls into that for me because it is such a is so personal, it is so brave, it is it is so fresh, and even in like no that me coming to it is kind of changing the play that I really feel as an actor, like I'm artistically in conversation with the play and with the play right even know we haven't like actually had a conversation with each other, and it feels really rare. As an actor. We'll often I feel more like I'm like, great, you needed you needed this box to be filled, and I was close enough to it. So we're gonna put this, squish this a little and put that foot into that Cinderella shue and it does not fit great.
Speaker 1: But the best part about that is after you like got yourself comfortable in that box, that box will never fit anyone else again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: So ha take that bugs take that far. I'm I know we've touched on this just organically through the conversation when I'm going to ask the official question, So, in the process of getting ready to do this show, what was your biggest challenge and your biggest I'm going to use the word triumph, but I can that can also be to be joyful moment.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. I think that like there's kind of two challenges depending on the perspective. I think the most obvious challenge is the just the time required to like get this plan into my body. Like this is every day I'm in rehearsal, it's just me working the whole time. It's just me speaking the whole time. If I'm learning lines, you know, often if you're in a show with five people in it, like there, if they're doing their scene, I'm learning my lines over here while I'm in the rehearsal room, right or like that's part of the sort of process it can be. And I was like I had to put in I don't know if it was equal, but like probably close to the same amount of time I put in in rehearsal. Outside of rehearsal, like in the month beating up and in the days around it, like learning lines, like working on sense like there's like seven eight accents in the show something like that into my body being able to show up for rehearsal and actually be able to work and actually be able to do like generative productive acting work. And that's hard. It's hard when like you know, regional hitters are hurting for money, Like it wouldn't be a problem if we were in a resource our its ecosystem, which we are not. And so you know, Heedro is not able to pay me the amount that would make that really easy to say yes too. And so that's a struggle because I care about doing the work, I care about doing it well, and the reality is that like the money to support that is not there for anyone, right, at least not in this scale. Right. I think the thing that's a little bit more tender for me, that I think actually connects to Triumph a little bit, is so much dialect work, Like this is a really dialect work heavy show. I'm doing two different types of Indian accents, each differentiating between two characters apiece. For those accents, I'm doing a coaster we can a Mexican accent, a British accent, a West Virginian accent. I'm doing so much and it's not a place of comfort for me as an actor, strangely than many other things about the show, like generally like, oh yeah, it's just me on stage for any minutes, I have to learn how many lines, like all that stuff does not scare me. It's a lot of work, but it doesn't scare me. I fay eighteen characters in my body. Sure I can embody that doesn't scare me, but the accents do. And it's definitely been a journey. I think part of the triumph is that, like I've had some crunchy moments with it because we've had a really wonderful dialect coach Gurkinan, who's is London based, work with me on the Indian accents primarily, and I had a couple other people in the process who were able to help me a little bit with as well as gooking on on some of the Hispanic accents and other pieces of it who like have them in their years a bit. And I don't know that I'm doing perfect work. I don't think anyone is. I think that's an unrealistic expectation for accent work, especially with this many things back to back. I actually feel like I'm in a place coming into this week of previews where I'm feeling pretty confident in the work that I'm doing, and that is really feels really exciting for me because it felt like I had told myself I think for a while that like, oh, this is kind of a growing edge or like something I'm not particularly good at, and I think being able to see myself rise to the challenge of like navigating this many different accents with like not minimal support, but not with like a ton of support time wise around it has been really like exciting and empowering for me as a performer.
Speaker 1: Have you chosen a favorite accent, like a favorite one to do?
Speaker 2: What a good question? I still find them kind of scary to do outside of a rehearsal, but I think that it's a good question. I think that the speaking as the mom in the play has been really lovely for me, her like particular kind of American influenced diasporas South Indian accent. I feel like it's taken me a while to find it, but really, yeah, I really love that character and I'm really enjoying playing her a lot.
Speaker 1: I love it, and I this is going to be fun for me because I always love hearing like Indian accents across the diaspora, and like it always just sounds so smart to me, Like I when I think, like the sound of like true intelligence, it's an Indian woman that you know, Except I tried to turn my SyRI into an Indian woman because they give you that option, but like having that voice in a in a subservient position just didn't sit well with me, so I switched.
Speaker 2: She has she has to be telling me what.
Speaker 1: I can't do this to you, says I'm sorry. So what is the takeaway you would like for the audience to have?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: With this show? Withdraw the Circle?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think the show sort of wears its objective on its sleep in a way. I think that the title Draw the Circle both describes sort of the theatrical mechanism of the many characters reflecting Dean and also the like core action of the play, which is to be which is this kind of radical inclusion feels buzzworthy. So I'm going to find other words to say it. The choice to seek commonality, love and understanding where it would be easier not tom that I think, to me really feels like the core of this play and to embrace the process of like we're making these jokes in a rehearsal, we're just like words that have trans and then we'll like separate them out the transformation or the section of you know, in the plane that we refer to that the transformation of monologue, but yeah, the transformation of relationship, the transformation of like how we think about each other. That has to happen in order to like come together across those kinds of differences and misunderstandings generationally, culturally, whatever like that is, I think, and I think I would argue, at least to me, this play posits that there is a like a queerness in that act, that there is a like a transness in the act of like looking at these relationships and believing they can transform into something that like will be truer and more full of love and reflect the people in the matter, even if that might be uncomfortable and strange and it might look like nothing you've seen before. Believing in that transformation and stepping into it with your soul and with your body and with your words, and so the thing I hope hope for this people, for this play is that at least the thing I am taking away is that for those relationships that you have in your life where there is love, where there is connection, but it's hard, and there's hurt, and there's misunderstanding, as there's mistrust, and knowing that right, not every relationship can be salvaged. That is true, not every thing can be fixed, or there is the desire to fix. But for those ones that are hard, but there is still that desire in there somewhere to keep trying to try again, to try simply to try over time, to try consistently. It is the inspiration that I have taken away from this play. And you know, as my dad is aging, as like I'm figuring out how to teach my child, who the world is going to mostly socialize is white about being Bangladeshi, about that side of himself. As I try to figure out, like what does that look like? What is the work that I'm able to put in on the somewhat complicated relationships I have with that side of my family. Dean has been so inspiring in yeah, just modeling what it looks like to like to keep trying, to keep trying to keep reaching out and that that actually, in its simplicity, can cause some pretty amazing transformations. So I hope that people leave the play like loving the trans people in their lives better. I hope people leave the play loving themselves better. I hope they leave the play loving an immigrant in their lives better. I hope they leave the play like thinking about the circles they draw, and who else could be including them, who isn't, and whether they themselves, at the deepest level, are really included in the circle that they're drawing.
Speaker 1: Lovely, so it's not so much to take away as a taking in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like exactly, exactly, And.
Speaker 1: I was also sitting here thinking about, you know, drawing circles as opposed to drawing lines. I like that that. So, as we said, this play is starting on January twenty first, so at the time of this recording, that is tomorrow. So by the time this episode comes out, there will be plenty of time for everyone within the sound of our voices to get tickets and experience this wonderful show. We will be there, Martha and I will be there this weekend. And I am more excited now than I was before. And that's saying something.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: So we will definitely put the information on how to get tickets in the notes to this episode. If people wanted to learn more about you, Joseph and what you do, where could they go?
Speaker 2: Absolutely there are two places for me personally sadly someone out of date website. I have a lop date and I swear everyone ww dot Joseph Ahmed dot com, so people are welcome to look me up there and connect with me means for that, and then also I'll shout out both my company, UH Obvious agency that makes interactive performances we Our website is www dot Obvious dash Agency dot com. And then PAPA, which I also talked about, Philly Fluffy Asian Performing Artists is Philly Asian Artists dot com. So you can connect with me and for for for a variety of reasons, in a variety of ways. Multi hyphen it, multi hyphen it that all the hyphens, how to do it succinctly, I'll never know right.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, it's no big deal.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: So, Joseph Ahmed, this has been a wonderful conversation. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did absolutely and I have a feeling this will not be the last time you join us at the Full Circle Table. I hope so. So until next time, thank you very much for sharing your time and energy, and you have a fabulous day. Sand you bye everyone. Full Circle is a Never Skurreed Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, Produced and edited by Never Scurred Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders.