Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to the MERV Griffin Show. This is perfect. Hey, welcome back to the Dinah Shore Show.
Speaker 2: I think this song. The town needs this song right now. I think, Gus, that's a very good choice.
Speaker 1: Good choice, Gus.
Speaker 2: Have you had coffee since you're waking up from your nap underneath your desk?
Speaker 3: I haven't, Yeah, because I wanted something easy.
Speaker 1: You could I get you some coffee? Oh no, that's quite all right.
Speaker 2: It's some tea or Gus is hours or basically twenty four hours a day. He doesn't even have a clock or a watch because it doesn't matter. Is it four pm or four am? Doesn't matter? Is it two pm? Two am? Doesn't matter because Gus has to be at ork. So he has created a Costanza bed underneath one of the studio boards at his desk in one of the studios in the back.
Speaker 3: I'm ashamed to admit it, but yes I have.
Speaker 2: And he has become no offense. He's become like when we were kids and you're like, don't wake your dad. So you know, it's like a stands. You come home, you're like your dad snapping, do not go in that room. And he's going to be trouble.
Speaker 1: You can't see him because he's on the control board, right, And a couple of times you and I have actually walked in that studio to talk about him. Yeah, so you know, we've got live cameras in here. We can't talk about him in here. And he was he heard every word, right.
Speaker 2: I think it's cute that you still have a bunny that you rub your com on your h You have a nickname for that toy, and you know, I.
Speaker 1: Don't really right, no, we should Maybe we should yeah with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think that's cute and I think it calms you and that does you well, so maybe it does.
Speaker 1: I can't. I can't sleep without my fluffy.
Speaker 2: He's not awake yet, so he's not he's not all. He hasn't really started to process this conversation, all right. So we're gonna have the mayor in here in an hour. He's bringing Rachel. We're gonna ask some questions.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have Rachel Greenberg and that other guy stopping by, right, correct, So looking forward to that, I'm not so sure I wanted to travel by airplane at all in twenty twenty five until.
Speaker 2: It gets three recks in three weeks.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable not to mention air travel always sucks. In a United flight from San Francisco to Chicago had to make an unexpected stop in Denver because a passenger started acting weird. Here's what's happened. Uh. Not long after takeoff, a man kept getting up and walking to the front of the plane. He then started shouting where are the Mormons and started demanding that all Mormons identify themselves, wanting to know where they were sitting. Things got even more intense at some point he got physical and then the flight crew and other passers had to jump in and help out and restrain him. That's what caused the flight. The flight to have to make a unexpected landing in Denver so the police could take him off the flight. Besides them taking him off the flight, it did cause this flight have to sit there for hours, yeah, on the ground and tend to until continue to Chicago.
Speaker 2: Boy, meltal health issues obviously is the issue in America, not just anxiety over general for everybody. But yesterday I was pulling down Liberty Street to get on the Expressway and this older lady, she's in her robe in the middle sweatpants robe in the middle of the street. But she's just walking, right, She's walking down the middle, but she looked normally. I try to I just drive around, you know, homeless people and they're standing in the street, whether they're staring at you, and they walk straight at your car, right, And I try to just drive around, but something like I don't I don't carry cash, but something said, just grab whatever you have. So I went in the dasher got four crumpled up dollars I found rolled down the window and I got to tell you, it was really sad, like I gave it to her and she said she looked at me like a child. She must be in her sixties and she looked at me a child, and she goes, you know where my mom is, and like like a little girl, I sweart. It was like, I feel these the folks that have mental issues that cannot find their way to a shelter right, and you know, they need direction and they don't want to go in the shelter, right, So I'm like, what do you do? But man, let me tell you that was a little And that was my drive home yesterday and I was just like, that was that really cod? You no, okay, no, I said, I don't know, sweetie. When she said where's my mommy? She must have been sixty sixty five and I said, oh my, I don't know, sweete. Wow, but I drove on.
Speaker 1: Well that was depressed.
Speaker 2: Give her four dollars. But you're talking about mental issues. We're talking about your mental issues.
Speaker 1: Now I feel like walking off a building. Man? Is it your had a perfectly good morning? Going to tell you and John Auden had come in with your depress and crap. At least you got gus here. Now? Oh what is wait? Great? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 3: What you can do for people like that? I direct them to Waistside Christian Mission? Right, Well, yes, I feel like I need to do something, but I don't necessarily What do you do?
Speaker 2: What to do?
Speaker 1: I always ask them for a dollar?
Speaker 2: Well here's the problem again. Most of the time I go right past. But I just give her a couple of bucks. It was four dollars, But you're right, what do you do? So a lot of times they don't want to go to the shelter. It's four degrees at night, it's raining, and they're not going to go to the shelter. Your hands are tied right, so you really can't do anything.
Speaker 3: Well if I get I feel like if I'm giving the money, they're probably going to take that for drugs or alcohol. So I don't necessarily want to do that. I try to give them some food sometimes.
Speaker 2: But food is what they need. I get.
Speaker 1: I guess I give them some sage advice.
Speaker 2: Oh that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they like that. Yes, they're like, you know, hey, I don't have any money. If a bird in the hand is worth two in your bush, oh is it a bush? Yeah? Wow, boy, to screw that one up.
Speaker 2: And then the homeless person goes, thank you.
Speaker 1: Right, they like it. And then sometimes when we sometimes I will replace their sign for them. Here what I mean. Most of these homeless people they have like the box, like the piece a piece of a twelve pack coke, you know, a small little sign, and they scribbled on there need help money please. You barely read it. So I took a bunch of eighth graders and I gave them construction paper, Elmer's glue, and sparkles glitter, yeah, glitter, and they made all these wonderful signs that have more pizazz. And so I'll hand those out to them and go look here you go. This will get you more money for you you need more. And by the way, kind of spin it every once in a while, kick about fancy poster, fancy posters, fancy's how you help them? Elizas plate in Hong Kong has sold. I guess maybe you.
Speaker 2: Pay what is in song Kong?
Speaker 1: What a rare automobile license plate featuring just the letter S SWD for one point eight million dollars. I guess you can say, look at that S cargo the S plate. That's the first joke. I thought, that's not why. Uh. The S plate was one of forty nine tags up for bidding in the annual Lunar New Year auction held by Hong Kong's Transportation Apartment. Bidding on the tag Hong Kong fo number one super.
Speaker 2: Guy who had a bowl a chop suey.
Speaker 1: License the license plate auction on the license plate just read s started out at just six hundred dollars. Get it.
Speaker 2: What's the significance of a license plate that has just S.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you wound up selling it started. It started just six hundred wound up selling at one point eight million dollars. The sky at the price skyrocket due to the affiliation of s with DC Comics Superman character. Even though he never drive, he flies around. He didn't drive a Superman. This is my s car.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes he doesn't feel like he's showing off all the.
Speaker 1: Time, right, And sometimes yeah, I guess you're right.
Speaker 2: You always going some like a church outing or something. Here you come landing and if you don't have your cape on, you just you look like a jerk, right right? Are you gonna wear the cape? Or because you know the wife, she's always going, are you gonna wear the cap?
Speaker 1: You wear the cape?
Speaker 2: Do you serious? This is not about you?
Speaker 1: You know that, right? What isn't odd?
Speaker 2: We're here for the kids and then you you want to wear the cape, and then it all becomes about you. And by the way, could you put on doesn't it?
Speaker 1: Could you put on some jams or some shorts? Why don't you always have this with? Never mind anyway? So, uh, they think it's because it's affiliated to Superman, which is big in Hong Kong. Another license plate that sewed for one point four to six million dollars was the license plate that just read eighty eight because eight's associated with good fortune in Hong Kong's culture.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure the Jaws license plate is still around, and I can't imagine what that's worth. The one that they pull out. When he pulls out says the Easyana seventy two, swam up from the swam up.
Speaker 1: From warmer waters, swam up from the golf. Yeah, what's that plate?
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, I don't know, I don't Are you serious?
Speaker 2: No, Richard Dryfiskiz, I feel a lot better if I could went down and cut that fish open and see what's in.
Speaker 1: It and then see if the kid is inside. I'm not gonna have some half ass off tops you have performed on the dock and what's that kid?
Speaker 2: Boy spill out on the dock. So then that night they they have a glass of wine or a bottle of wine, and they go down there and he cuts it open and he throws out a piece of fish, throws out another piece of fish, and then he goes and he pulls out a license plate and it was and it was like these guys, these sharks will eat anything. And they're like, yeah, I just I thought it was a Louisiana plate seventy two. And he was like, I swam up from warmer waters, and that license plate was used again in a movie called Blue Water or Blue something. It was another blue. Oh look at you l cool deep blue. That license plate was used again. And the second I saw it, because I'm a sad, sad sack, the second I saw and I went, that's the license plate from Jaws.
Speaker 1: Well and h Robbers with a U haul busted into University Place, Washington store to help themselves to a bunch of Legos. The name of the business with sod Squatch Bricks. It's home to a lot of retired high end collectible Lego sets. The store owner says Scott Nelson, he's a good guy.
Speaker 2: Did you was your son Gus into the legos? John was yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: In fact, I've still got a bunch of that around the house.
Speaker 1: I ended up getting all them too.
Speaker 2: I was, Oh, you liked him to engineering. I get it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah. My nephew always won, even when he was like high up, like eighteen or nineteen, always one of these Lego sets for Christmas and stuff, Chip Post and uh the US come on the show with lottery. Now he's with KT He's got rooms filled with this stuff.
Speaker 2: By the way, Jeff Tokey's on his way with ding.
Speaker 1: Dongs Jeff Toki's ding dong. So yes.
Speaker 2: So when John was John obviously aerospace engineering, he was into legos and his cousin was is an electrical engineer. Uh went to speech school. But they used to sit down together, even though they were twenty years apart, and build legos and they're like, yeah, they're engineering kids, that's what they do.
Speaker 3: I was not interested a mess of legos or do you have to buy something that it builds because I couldn't find it anymore. Used to I just had a bunch of them, and.
Speaker 2: Well it started to no, that was what we grew up, and then they just started to design specifically. They used to just sell you legos and then you're right, we built a boat or whatever. But now they have all and guess what there's to this story. They're so expensive. I mean, if you buy the thousand piece death Star Star Wars, it's three hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: My buddy Jason Johnson and his son wanted to thank me for something, and you were there when they brought out to me. They're into legos, and they saw that they brought me a rolling stones tongue.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry I dropped it.
Speaker 1: I wasn't gonna tell Jason then do you drop?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, shattered in every piece guy.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so gigantic rolling stones, tongue made out. We just had like a box.
Speaker 2: He wasn't by accident.
Speaker 1: Liz had a purpose. What what what?
Speaker 2: I didn't say anything.
Speaker 1: We had just a box that have different ones in there. The only thing I could ever make was a stick. I would just put a bunch of them together and go, look, Papa, it's a thick anyway. Scott Nellison believes that the robbers had been in the store before because it's a real course. They cased it. That's a real smash and grabs all you.
Speaker 2: Guys case in the place.
Speaker 1: Took less than five minutes. The thieves were making able to make off with ten thousand dollars worth of Lego collectible sets. Ten grand.
Speaker 2: Oh that's easy. I'll get ten grand pretty pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Some of these are like one hundred bucks, two hundred bucks, three hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: I do want to tell you about fifteen minutes, we're going to answer the question of whether cats can get dog blood and can dogs get cat blood. This is a question that we've been asking on this show for months, and we're going to answer that question. Is that correct?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: And can people get dog blood? And can dogs get people blood?
Speaker 1: I wonder if you donated blood and I gave it to my dog, if you would go around with a hair brush combing his hair all the time? Right, hey day? Should we love these nuggets? You got any apasta instead of nuggets this afternoon? Perhaps?
Speaker 2: I mean the misery I just felt thinking of being let me trapped in that house of two neurotic owners.
Speaker 1: Come let your feet. Poor dog, That poor dog.
Speaker 2: Poor dog is just like please, I mean, keeps throwing itself down the stairs.
Speaker 3: Is their mental health for dogs? Is there better help?
Speaker 1: Better help for dogs?
Speaker 2: The dog kept getting injured and they kept acting like it was an accident, hurting.
Speaker 1: Who do we have? Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pella windows and doors, Baby Pella windows in doors.
Speaker 1: Pella, now pay later, house those energy? Huh? How's that house looking? Let's get new windows, Let's get new doors. But let's do it with the best, the best Baby Pella of Central Kentucky. They're windows, they're doors, They're made in the USA. I'll give you one better. They're not just made in the USA. They're made right here in Kentucky, employing your neighbors, your families, your friends. Not to mention they're a great product. Pella is the preferred window and door by homeowners. Find out why for yourself. Go to the Pella showroom. It's a twelve nine to ten factory lane right over there on Geen Snyder and Lagrange Road. Pela, Pella, Pella Baby. We're talking about replacement new construction commercial projects. They got you covered with the best, the best windows and doors. And by the way, you Coulpella now and pay later. Pella windows. You're gonna love them. Stick around really in the years. On the way news Radio eight forty whas Pete Townsend give blood. It was ready to eight forty whs. Dwight Whitting Adam Arrington, John Tony Venetti is uh, I'm in the bathroom. Come in my head with my very special head bus. I would be with you momentarily. Want to have Adam Arrington in because you're with Jefferson Animal Hospital been around forty five years? How about that man? Huh?
Speaker 4: Now a long time longer forty five years up in twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: In and one thing I just found out and listen, Maddy won't grasp this concept. But people my age will used to be when everyone know what the time and temperature was and you couldn't wait around for you know whoever on the news At six, you pick up the phone and I still remember this number. Watch this five eight five five nine six one. I didn't realize that number. Not only is it still in working order, but you all own that phone number and you keep it in business and it still works, right, we do.
Speaker 4: And that was a marketing item that we were able to that the company was able to purchase back in the nineties, back in whasr weatherline and the time and temperature line, And to this day it gets. You wouldn't believe how many calls it still gets.
Speaker 1: I mean, are you serious?
Speaker 4: Monthly? Thousands of calls? I mean, and back in the day it was much more than that.
Speaker 1: And I still remember the number, but I mean verbatim because you would have to call it, what's the weather would be like? And it would tell you it tell you what it's like outside. But I want to talk about Jefferson Animal Hospital two locations. By the way, forty five years you've been in business. But it's not just about providing immaculate service, but also your staff. You take really well good care of your staff. I was over there visiting one of the new facilities with my friend Maddie and went out back and I said, well, what's that and what's that? And it's two houses, two really nice houses that you all purchase just for staff. How does that work out? Talk about how you take care of the staff, because it's quite it's quite incredible when you see two homes and they were purchased just for the staff.
Speaker 4: Sure, sure, and we have you know, we've grown and really you know, we've got staff that work from all over. We have ninety staff over ninety staff, right, and they come from all over and you know, twenty four hours. Having grown up there, you almost kind of live there. But we have a couple of houses and we have staff that come in from all over. They come in from Indiana, sometimes from Tennessee. They'll work three or four shifts and then they'll go back home. So we have some accommodations because it's all about really it's the health of the animals starts with the staff, right, right, and we need to make sure that number one, you know, my job essentially as a general manager and president. How do we get the staff whatever they want, whatever they need to be successful at their job and also to have a good work life balance right to be able to have accommodations and do different things. So it's we really have a nice setup over there that's on our main area on outer Loop, on our main hospital. It's kind of like a little mini campus there, but we try to make it as comfortable as possible for all of our staff.
Speaker 1: Adam Ericton's our guest with Jefferson Annamal Hospital. And I find it amazing that your mom with Jefferson Animal Hospital, the tenth largest woman owned business in Louisville. And I bet she never retires. She's great at her job. Never you don't think she will, she will.
Speaker 4: Know, and she's so passionate and she's incredible. And she's our main medical director. Within our ninety staff, we have fourteen doctors, oh my gosh. And you know, they are just unbelievably talented. They're solving emergencies in real time, okay, and so do our staff, our technicians and our nurses. And they're not only doing that, they're managing that. And then they're managing a lot of emotion, right, Sometimes that's comes in and it can be a not good scenario, you know sometimes, And so they're managing all of these things and then how they do it. I have no idea the ability for most of our staff to be able to compartmentalize see some of the things they see, Oh my gosh, what comes in here. With an emergency center, we see emergencies from all over the state anything you can think of. Now you have stuff like vomiting and stuff, but you have some major stuff that is kind of messy and isn't so great. And so they manage it, and you know, we need to make sure that they have everything they need to be able to do what they need to do to take care of the pet in any given situation.
Speaker 1: Jeffson Animal Hospital open twenty four hours and have been there for emergencies for forty five years now. It's still going strong and expanding. Do you think that a lot of people view Jefferson Animal Hospital as just an emergency situation because it's I don't know of another veterinarian At two o'clock in the morning, an accident happens where you can go directly there, but you can also just get generous general wellness visits. For example, if I work third shift and I want to go at three o'clock in the morning, you could schedule an appointment for your shot at your vaccine or can you can you you can, you can.
Speaker 4: That's what's so great. We're open for emergency and we're open for appointments and wellness. And that's what basically how everything got started is we open in nineteen seventy eight. Basically GE had already been here. You had Ford International Harvester YEP, and it was essentially Louisville was becoming a twenty four hour time right, yeah, look back, right, and then you had Ford come in different things. And so in the early eighties since we opened twenty four hours, I remember growing up there in the middle of the night, there'd be people with their uniforms, GE and different things coming in for their appointments. And so we offer that it's incredible you have emergency doctors who are also seeing wellness. Now it does get a little tricky. I mean you can get three emergencies that come in fifteen minutes and you're trying to see wellness, and so sometimes you know it can be different. I wait, times for a sure outpatient center, right, but we do offer wellness.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: You can absolutely make an appointment any time and come in. And we have clients that have been with us for decades and they they come in in the evening or the different hours and it's very positive for them.
Speaker 1: Unless you're in your industry, there's certain things you would never think of. For example, I've been talking about your all's blood bank and it never dawned on me. In these emergency situations, not just for you all, but for other veterinarians all across the state. Blood's needed when you perform surgeries. How long has the blood bank been going and what made you all come up with that idea? Because I find it fascinating that people can bring their pets in to save four to six other pets lives with the donation.
Speaker 4: It's incredible. And you know, we're an emergency center, and so as a result of that, we have cases that receive a lot of that experience a lot of blood loss. And this basically was born out of necessity. About eleven years ago. We were shipping it in from out of state, primarily California. We had to deal with different kind of shortages and stuff like that. So we said, we're going to do this in house. Our staff we had we have such smart intelligence staff, and they brought us this you know plan, and we implemented it. And now we have basically as much blood as we need in house on site for the emergencies, which is the goal. Anything extra. We actually are able to distribute nationally. We distribute to national We disturbed over thirteen thirteen states, including some University of Cornell. Yeah, distributed up to their medical program. So we use it now, we know where it comes from, we know the process, and then we can use it in house. We don't have to wait, and then we can also other hospitals can benefit from it. So it's been just such a positive program.
Speaker 1: How many different blood types are there for a dog?
Speaker 2: Yo?
Speaker 1: Humans? You got a negative, all positive, all these? Is there a lot of different or is it just I mean, it can't just be one size fits all on caneies and one size fits all on felines or is it?
Speaker 4: I would have so I would have to defer to you to our brochure to Okay, Okay, guys, yeah, so I'm you know, I'm not on the medical side, Okay, but it really is incredible. I know there are multiple types of blood and for people who would like to learn more about it, you know pet Bloodbank dot com or on our website Jefferson Vets dot com. But it really is an interesting landscape from what I know. You know, it works just like human you know blood right, you can transfusions and there you go. It can save lives.
Speaker 1: Adam Arrington, Jefferson Animal Hospital, doing good for the neighborhood, for our pets, for our dogs and our cats. If your cat is over ten pounds, for your dog's over fifty pounds, they can actually give blood and with each donation it's going to save up to four to six other pets lives. To you, say, God bless you, and thanks for doing what you are do and thanks to the incredible staff you're down here at Jefferson Animal Hospital. I'm a big advocate for animals and I see the work that you all do and it's tireless and so a lot of times unforgiving. God bless us.
Speaker 4: Ay, Well, it's our staff and they you know, I try to keep up with them, and they're doing amazing things and and it's non stop. It is NonStop, and you know the amount of coordination that it takes just to get to the point of even taking care of a pet, to even scheduling. We're scheduling months out right for holidays, right, We're open every Christmas, right, every yeah, Thanksgiving everything. So the amount of planning and coordination that goes into it just and support and we want to make sure that everybody is well balanced. You know, we have a lot of talented staff. They have a lot of interests outside of the hospital. We have artists, we have people who are interested in gardening. We you know, we have a plant exchange in the spring where people bring in plants. You know, we people who run races and things within the city, and so we always want to support what those interests are.
Speaker 1: Oh, we're out of time, but I want to get to something real quick. Can we talk about what's gonna go on with you on lucity yet?
Speaker 4: We can?
Speaker 1: Okay, real quick, sixty seconds, let's hear about this excise stuff all right.
Speaker 4: So lu City, we are so lucky to be a partner with with lu City. We've been a partner with them for multiple years and we do pups at the pitch and with them, and we have a sign behind the goal. So they're gonna unveil the new jersey, which is called a Kid to a KT next Tuesday, and I can give you exclusive.
Speaker 1: Here we go, here, we go.
Speaker 4: Here Jefferson Animal Hospital is going to be on the back of the kid.
Speaker 1: How about that? You heard it here first, Baby, Tony and Dwight show Adam ericton Jefferson Animal Hospital. To God bless you. I say, thanks for what you do, Thanks for what your staff does. Keep doing good for the neighborhood. And let's get you back on here sometimes soon.
Speaker 4: Okay, Dwight, thank you so much. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: All right, still around, Rachel Greenberg and that other guy will be stopping by the next break, So hang out for that news. Ready to wait for Oh wait, who do we have?
Speaker 2: We got try states?
Speaker 1: Try state men's health guys. Let me ask you questions. Hi, how you feel around one o'clock, two o'clock in the afternoon, You start to get sluggish? Want to take a nap? What about when you get home? You go straight to the couch and sometimes straight to the bed. That used to be me. Thirteen years now, I've been on testosterone. I can honestly say it's one of the best choices I've ever made for myself. I used to go straight to bed when I got home on the weekends. I just wanted to lay around. It wasn't fair to me, and it certainly wasn't fair to my wife, Susan. I want to encourage you to go to try Statemen's Health dot com. Take the little tea quiz. It's about ten yes or no questions. Take about a minute. Then make your appointment. Your appointment's ninety nine dollars, but man, it's worth it. You get lab work done. You'll get your blood results back within thirty minutes or less. Then you're sitting down with a licensed medical professional. They're going to give you all of your numbers, your PSA, your testosterone, the works, and then make an educated decision. Is testosterone right for you? It was for me, and I am absolutely never going back to the way I used to feel. Go to tri statemenshealth dot com. Stick around Rachel Greenberg and that other guy, the mayor who the mayor Craig. Rachel Greenberg's next who is ready to wait? Forty w h A.
Speaker 2: S