Speaker 1: They went down to Salt Fork State Park here in Ohio and tried to recreate it, and they couldn't come close to it. And these guys were PhDs. We literally grew up with this thing. I mean, I've got so many different stories. Some things happened back there, and then the city completely redid that whole area land the area that all this happened when I was growing up. Literally took them two years to put the concrete towpath down because things were happening. So a lot of my friends that were police officers, and even the chief and police at the time was telling me what was going on down there, asking me if I knew how to handle it, and I'm like, just ignore it. I mean, it's not going to hurt you. It never did us. But I kind of looked at it and look back now, it's like it played with us, you know, like we were as entertainment.
Speaker 2: Let's just go ahead and get into it. Take us back to where it all started. How did this whole journey get started for you personally?
Speaker 1: Well, I have to say that I got into it by stories. This is before the whole in search of Leonard Niemway with the Big Pot in the Patty film. You know, obviously not before the Patty film, but before it aired and became national news and all that. Where I grew up, I spent every summer with my grandfather in this area that this happened. And he had about an acre and a half of a backyre, just a long, narrow strip that went, you know, a good three four hundred feet from his house to a back alley, and beyond that was a farmer's field. To the left of his house was nothing but wilderness and woods. Now, mind you, this is in the city limits. So when I say wilderness and woods, I don't mean deep forest. But you could definitely spend a week down there and not be seen by anybody. Yeah, but my parents, you know, my dad, my uncles would tell us, you know, hey, don't go down there after dark. They'd tell us stories that they had, you know, that they grew up with a grassman. And I'm thinking, yeah, okay, the grassman, you know whatever. And I mean some of their stories were pretty intense, and I wanted to believe it because I didn't think my dad my uncle would mess with us the way that you know, that way, sure, But the biggest thing that happened is me and my cousin. Like I said, we spent every summer over there, and my uncle was a Vietnam vet, so he showed us how to make lean two's and cover our tracks, and you know, when we're done camping down there, make it look like we weren't down there at all. You know. We learned all that stuff, and I loved it, and we went ahead and was doing this for probably three years from the age of ten, so I was thirteen. We spent every summer down there, a week at a time, down in these woods, just camping and fishing in the ear Canal and just being kids, you know. And one day me and my cousin were walking through a sand pit area and there was a footprint that at quick guests, I would say eighteen to nineteen inches long and at least six inches deep. Now it was soft ground, but me and my cousin, you'd leave your shoe print, you know what I mean, it wouldn't be a deep pot. Well, this was a barefoot and we seen one, and then we about five four or five feet further up we seemed like the heel of another inprint, but it was going up rock at that time, So just the heel was into the earth, and we went to get back, got my uncle and he came down there and looked at it and said, I don't want you guys coming down here tonight. So you know, we himed in the hall and you know, okay, you know, well they went to bed and me and my cousin are like, let's go catfishing. Now. It was about it was it was about a forty Now, we really weren't thinking about the footprint at that time. It was about a forty five minute walk from my grandfather's house down the path to the canal, and we're walking down there and just you know, bsing and kicking rocks, and about fifteen feet up in front of us, we heard a like a grunt, but a deep, full of bass, shake your bones style grunt. Now, mind you, we've been growing up back here, so we knew noises back here. Neither one of us ever heard that. We both stopped dead, didn't see anything, but just got this heavy, Oh my god, we're gonna die feeling well. We went back home and we told my uncle about it, and he's like, you know, I told you not to go back down here. So he had called my father and the next night my dad came over after work. I'll never forget this. He brought my younger brother with him, and then another uncle showed up. So now there's three adults and three kids. I'm like twelve years old at the time, my cousin's thirteen, and my younger brother is nine. So we go back there and we're thinking, this is where they're going to try to scare us, you know what I mean, the whole Yeah, this is where you know, Dad's going to mess with us. So we go down there and we kind of split up a little bit. You go down about and maybe at half mile, and there's a fork in this service road down there. Now, if you go to the right of the fork, and twenty minutes you'll be on a main street. If you go to the left of the fork, you're walking the length of the canal. You'll go down to what we call the footbridge, and you know, just nothing but woods throughout. Okay, you got about twenty minutes before you get the canal. But during all that you're walking through woods and weeds and you know, So we kind of split up a little bit, and I end up with my uncle and my cousin ends up with my dad and we're not away from each other for more than maybe ten minutes, and my dad and cousins starts creamond bloody murder, and we, you know, go back and we find each other. We're in the weeds, and you know, they're saying we've seen something, we've seen something, and I'm looking at my cousin and he's kind of got this grin on his face, so I'm like, Okay, you didn't see nothing. This is all part of the well. The neighborhood dog went down there with us. Now we're on one side of the path and the past about I don't know, seven eightpeet wide. It's just a service road, and the dog's ruffing through the weeds on the other side of the path, directly across from us, and we hear this. This dog would yelp and bark, but always playful. We heard this little dog's just barking like it was going to tear something up. Then we heard a yelp, and then we heard this dog trotting through the weeds as fast as it can. It got about two steps out of the weeds on the road, and this big arm came out of the weeds and swung at this thing. It hit the hindquarters of the dog. The dog went like five feet in year, spun around, hit the ground, and booked. I mean, it was gone. So we're all sitting there like in amazement and shock. Well, this thing's in the direct path to get back to my grandfather's. It's on that side of the the service road. We're on the other. So we're sitting there for a little bit. We don't hear nothing. Well, we try to move through the weeds to stay hidden, and we get up to where about where the fork in the road's at, and my other uncle's missing us. We can't find us, so we're down to three adults or two adults and three kids. So my dad and my uncles say, look, stay right here, you see anything, you go straight down this road get to Grandpa's. So my cousin comes up with this idea that you know, how I can Africa or something animals surround, you know, getting a circle so they see all sides. So we do this in the fork of the road. Now, mind you, we're thirteen, twelve and nine, okay, you know.
Speaker 2: Sure, well, you know.
Speaker 1: We're thinking we're pretty intelligent, right, now like we got this thing planned out, you know, and the service road is a great, big white gravel maybe the size of a hardball, and you know for baseball. Yeah, so we grabbed these rocks and we're thinking, you know, me and my cousin both play baseball. We're both on traveling league, so you know, we knew the game, we knew how to throw. We're thinking we got this. You know, this thing shows up, we just start plastering with rocks. Now this is all before the story of us knowing Bigfoot through rocks, you know. I mean, we're completely bigfoot dumb at this point, you know. Yeah, And this thing comes out from the side of the weeds that we were on, about ten feet down the paths from this fork in the road. So I mean, it's close, and it takes two steps, and it's in the middle of the in the middle of the service rode, and it just turns its shoulders and head and looks at us. Now we're like, each one of us kids are facing a direction down the path. This thing is looking me dead in the eyes. So me and my cousin are firing these rocks at this thing. And it had to be the most epic stupid maneuver I ever did. We could see these white rocks hitting this thing. It didn't make a grunt, it didn't make a an inclination. These things we're hitting it, but we see the rocks hitting it. So it takes two steps and now it's on the other side of the path, you know, the service road, and it's where we have to go. It hits that and there's a big old I don't know if it's an ochre of berth, but there was a big old tree right there, and it like stood up against the tree and then vanished. Now I'm not saying it disappeared, but it's almost like the tree and that thing became one in the dark, you know that you lost the silhouette of it. Yeah, And we're screaming, and we just take off the other way, like I said, you know, in a few minutes, you hit a main road and that's where we ran. It was the opposite direction, you know, it was to a main road. We figured, you know, we'll get our dad's attentions. We're running, you know, and eventually my dad and my uncle come out. They can't find my uncle and they're like, okay, we're just gonna walk down the main road back and then make a few turns and get back to Grandpa's house. So that's what we did. We stayed out of the woods. We walked in the middle of a four lane road. You know, we ain't going nowhere.
Speaker 2: Near the woods.
Speaker 1: So we get back to my grandfather's house and they each grab a gun and they go down there and they start looking for my other uncles. Well we heard two gunshots. Now, remember I told you this is city limits. So gunshots go off, you're committing a crime. And we heard two gunshots go off. And we're sitting there waiting for our dads to come back. And my dad comes in with my uncle and his shirt is just shredded, the whole front of it. And I guess this thing wanted to get past my dad without killing my dad more or less, and just kind of took his hand and shoved him aside and booked, you know, pasted him. Now, my dad's test was red, his shirt was ripped, no, you know a little bit of like scratches. But I don't know if that was for my dad following or the actual thing pushing him. But but you know that that was the very first time that I realized they weren't bs and us there's something back here. And I stayed out of the woods for a whole six months, and then after time we're back in the woods again. But we literally grew up with knowing this thing was there. We'd get pelted with rocks, you know, little rocks, nothing big, you know, nothing that could hurt us. We'd go down there to the camp like we'd hear I don't want to say stick snapping. It sounded like trees breaking. But we never seen anything for a long time after that. But I mean that's sort of you know, excitement was scarier than I'll get out when it was going on, but after it was over, we kind of want to do it again. Yeah, And I guess that went on for like five years. I was twelve the first time I actually seen it, But we had, like I said, you know, we go down their caps and we get peedded with rocks. I never heard no whoops or howls or anything like that, but you get a feeling, you know what I mean, like like you know you're being watched too. There's there used to be wild dogs down there. We found dead wild dogs, We found deer with their heads written backwards. Yeah, it just I thought everyone had, you know, knew this was there, and I would talk to people about it. And the thing is, now that whole area that was woods has been flooded on purpose by the Parking Recreation Department of the State of Ohio.
Speaker 2: So you think they did that to run these things out of there.
Speaker 1: I know they didn't. And they didn't run them out of there. That I don't. I almost I almost think this thing because it only happened from the months of June to mid September, and then we'd have nothing happening in the winter. Nothing would happen in the winter. But the thing is, I was telling you before we went on the air, they put a towpath in here. This is right along the Erik Canal, and they it's probably three city blocks long from the one road to the other roads that the towpath comes out on. Now, three quarters of that was in I call it the Grassland's home, you know, the wooded area that we grew up in. It took two years for that because when they had their equipment down there. You know, there's always a path there for a towpath, but they can't, you know, put pavement in there. They had a security company watching their equipment down there, you know, after hours and at night. A security company lasted three days and they quit. I mean the entire company said we're not coming back taking this account. So they had a couple off duty Acron police officers go back there and do it. And I guess the hydraulic lines of these big dozers and backos were being ripped apart. Wow, not cut, but being pulled apart. And the tracks have been looked like someone was trying to pull the tracks off these bulldozers. They wouldn't get pulled off, but they get messed up enough to wear hours to fix it, you know, that that sort of thing. And at the time, I was real good friends with the chief of police for you know, Rakran, and he said that they're just going to open up the pumps or turn off the pumps that goes to Firestone and let that flood. And to this day it's still flooded. It took about six months for this whole thing to flood, and they keep it flooded because it's right. It's the pumps used to run the water from the canal into the firestone plant to help call the machines so that part of the canal would never freeze. But now that they've done that, when they run the pumps into the canal, the water alls start to receive because they run it in for a couple weeks at a time and then open the pumps back up to fill up, you know, the whole wooded area. But if you look it up, it's a blue herrings preserve for blue herrings to nest.
Speaker 2: So they've kind of secured it state level or federally.
Speaker 1: That part is federally on because the street that my grandfather lived on, they have put a cup businesses up and all that land is federally own. One of the guys that run a dump truck company has his shop back here, and he was telling me that he has to rent his parking lot from the federal government, you know, federal parks. Yeah, and if they have a camera, security camera that the park Service can have access to. The rent for his parking lots only one hundred dollars a month. So there's something going on back there.
Speaker 2: Clearly, and this is this isn't the first time I've heard about this type of situation occurring either. My old research area years ago whenever I was a boots on the ground researcher. Our main research area was inside of a national park here, and that park, they would go into very specific areas where there wasn't a lot of traffic, you know, not a lot of public traffic, but they were areas that we frequent in a lot because there was activity going on there, and they would shut them down for months on end to do these different projects or whatever. And they did all kinds of things. And one of the things that they did was shut down a huge trail system so they could go in and pave it, and it took them months and months and months to do. And another time they did like a controlled burn of the area and got rid of all the cedar trees in the area, which you know, was kind of a big deal where we were researching that. And they've just done projects like that all over the place, it seems. I was even looking at a map the other day right outside of town to a spot that I was talking to a colleague about that I had visited years and years ago, and I was looking at it on you know, Google Maps recently to see what it looked like now. And they've done the same thing there. They've gone in and closed it down and paved it and clear cut it and everything else, and it's just awfully coincidental that that happens.
Speaker 1: Well, well, okay, you actually were on the ground, you know, boots on the ground, researcher. Let me ask you a question. Have you ever heard of the Joe Ball camp site? I think it's in Missouri.
Speaker 2: It doesn't ring a bell, okay.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the other podcasts that I used to listen to and communicate it with, I can't think of the guy's name, but he wrote a book actually as a series of books out and I started listening to him and I kind of got had to chuckle to myself because of you know, I'm an Army ranger. Okay, I was in the Army. I was with the seventy fourth Ranger Regiment, and we did a lot of stuff at Fort Lewis back when it was a military base in Washington State. And they sat us down our third night there and told us now that this came from my CEO, and the sergeant major was right there. And my sergeant major had no sense of humor, so I can't see this being any type of joke. And he was telling us that bigfoot are in the area. If you see one, don't try to follow it, don't try to engage it, don't try to harass it. It will leave you alone. Well, I don't know if you know anything about the military as far as I mean, we have ranges that we shoot on, but when you're out doing exercises inside the States, you're not given live AMMO. If we fire live AMMO outside of a range area, it wakes a lot of people up in DC. I mean, it just there's no way you're going to get around it. They plot all told us they're here. Don't don't try to track them, don't try to engage them. And I mean, you're talking to special forses, you know, and you're you're a lot of the guys are like, yeah, right, Well I've got history when I was growing up with these things, you know what I mean, I ain't engaging it, you know what I mean. There's there's you know. But anyway back to this Joe Ball campsite or campground. Army Corps engineers would shut it down every so often. But this guy wrote a book and I can't think of his name, but he's an ex police officer and he's now in the Bigfoot and dog Man and things like that. And he wrote this book called the lake View Monster or the lake View Man or something like that. It's based around uh, I don't know if you know her, like Doug Wee's a different form of Bigfoot, supposed to like a base eater, Okay, based around one of those. And it's killing these kids and people in this town. And it keeps going back to the Joe Ball campsite or campground. Well, the Joe Ball campground is real. I looked it up, and the Army Corps engineers has shut it down due to safety reasons, is all they would list it ass But this guy said he was out there doing the shoot for the book cover with his publicists. They were just taking pictures of the woods, not expecting to have anything happen. And on the interview I heard he said he had a dog man standing in the woods that he didn't even see until they looked at the picture. But he won't post that picture, so I don't know how credible it is. Right, But in the story, this w Sheriff is fighting this creature, you know, these creatures, and he US military comes in.
Speaker 2: To help him.
Speaker 1: And it branched down into whole other stories of the US military has a group with all the branches of the military that select people to come in and take out cryptids that have become a nuisance. And it kind of made everything click. You know, my time at Fort lewis growing up. This sort of thing happening, you know, with them flooding this area. And this is just my own opinion. I have nothing to base it on, but I don't think it's literally literally like the Pentagon and stuff keeping big put a secret. I think the organization that has the most to lose is the forestry.
Speaker 2: Industry because of the dollars.
Speaker 1: I mean, how much what do they harvest out of the national force. I know they to pay bukou buck to take lumber out of there. And if these things are proven and admitted to be real, you got to protect the habitat, so the forest, you know, the the lumber industry is going to take a hit and then turn the forest interest is going to take it a hit because they ain't gonna be paid for all that. I don't know how anybody can say that for sure, they're not real. I mean I don't know about you, but like I said, I've had, you know, that experience, you know, actually seeing one, and what I've seen it was about seven and a half, was tall, but hunched over sort of, and its one arm was almost dragging the ground. But their hands are all the way down to their knees at least, you know. When that thing stood and looked at us, it just you could see the one hand swing, you know, and it just it had to be interest from the ground.
Speaker 2: And it never made any like sounds or anything like that whenever you're hitting it with the rocks.
Speaker 1: No, none at all. I mean, not even a you know, an inhale or a gas. But when it got to that tree, you know that we heard it then, but it was nothing like what me and my cousin heard and we were walking under go capfish and that scared me. And that was even before I seen this thing. I mean, it scared me to death. And I think in Fort Lewis, when I was up there, if I would have heard that, then I've been begging to be discharged, you know. I mean I've spent time, you know, in Iraq, and it just yeah, hearing that, knowing what I have, you know, blanks at that. But the weapon that I had, I might as well be shooting a piece shooter at it. You know. I've talked to guys that say they have shot it but it didn't drop. And I'm like, well, would you have. One guy shot it here in Akron with a thirty got six for about sixty yards out, and I'm like, I should have at least knocked it down. He goes, it's screamed and ran off, and he goes, I know I hit it, you know, And I'm like, I've seen this guy's trophy wall. He knows how to shoot, you know. But when me and my wife had a chance to buy a house, I literally said I want to live by the canal. So I bought a house. I am literally five thousand feet from the canal. I'm like, you know, I still go down there, and you got to sneak in at night because you know it's a park now and you can't be in it after dusk. But I mean I go down there and I just I get the same feelings. Yeah, there's something back here. You know. Whether I'll see it again, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Now, we were talking earlier before we started recording. You know, you were on Monster Quest years ago talking about the Ohio grass Man YEP.
Speaker 1: Season three, episode three.
Speaker 2: How did that kind of all come about? And you know, I want to hear about the nests man, what were those like?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I've been more open with the whole big put subject. My dad had a lot more encounters than I did. Okay, And I don't feel right telling his encounters because anyone who listens says it's hearsay, you know what I mean, because I wasn't there. But I believe it a wholeheartedly, you know, I mean, there's not a doubt. But back in nineteen ninety five we were listening. I don't know if you really used to listen to Coast to Coast with Art Belt.
Speaker 2: Oh, of course we used to.
Speaker 1: Listen to Artmel religiously. And they had a guy over here, a guy that was on the show that spent five weeks in the woods that kind of connect to where all my encounters happened. He spent five weeks back there and seen human but never nobody ever saw him. And you know, come to find out, he was next Green Beret. He was just going back or checking the food supply. Seeing him something that big could live back or without being seen and yeah, he did it. So we went and had reached out to this guy and wanted to tell him our story. Well, he put us in contact with a few researchers at Ohio State University, and there was Jody Cook was one of them, and then a couple other guys that I won't even say their names. But in nineteen ninety five they came up and we took them back there. Now that was before all this was flooded. You know, it was still woods. It was still like it was when I was growing up, you know, And we were telling our stories to the guys and showing them where certain things happened and where we used to camp. And there's those big metal towers that they run high tension wires along. Yeah, there's a couple of those back there. And we were walking that path, you know, the cut path that they make for all those and we were, you know, walking through all that and showing, you know, the guy's the story. Well, were walking to this edge of this weed line and right there's a nest and they're like, well, what is that And I'm like, well, I call it big puts ten And they're like, what I said, We see these all the time, and they're all they're all made like this, and they're all laid down inside with twigs that have been carried to them. They're not from trees that are around this, you know, they've been laid in there. And the nest was about fifteen foot long, about six and a half foot high, and it was almost like a dome, but it was completely covered all but a little hole about three foot in diameter. I mean you literally had to get down and crawl into it, but you couldn't see anything. Like you get in there, you can't see it. You know, you're completely him. And they're like, man, I would love to go inside that. And I'm like, there ain't no way I'm not going inside that. You know, that hole. You won't be able to see me in there if something's in there, you know. So they kind of made the hole bigger and they're like, yeah, there's nothing in there, you know they did. They had a fleer and they're signing a fleer in there, and there's like, we got no heat signature. You know, it's twelve degrees cooler in there that it is out here. And so I said, sorry, you make the hole big enough, and all three of you guys are standing right there, then I'll get in there. Well I got in there and they took a picture of me in there, and that is the picture that airs on the Ohiograssman episode.
Speaker 2: So what was it like inside of there?
Speaker 1: Everything was There's only five inches of padding on the on the floor, on the on the ground. I mean they there was sticks, there was leaves, there was I mean just it was like a bed literally, I mean five inches of padding. I mean you step in it, you sink.
Speaker 2: Wow, there was loss in there, but.
Speaker 1: You're in there now. I was scared of that hanging a bye. I got in there and the stench was on god, in there just it's almost like a wet dog, sulfur trash smell, you know, all in one. But it was rank in there. So I didn't stay there very long, but I can literally you lose contact with the outside when you're in there. It was so well built, and it just I mean I leaned on the side of it and nothing. It didn't fall over, it didn't my hand didn't go through it, you know. Yeah, but yeah, it just it was a weird feeling being in there.
Speaker 2: How many of these things were there?
Speaker 1: We found two of them when we had those guys down there the spot. No, they were probably about a thousand yards apart, like in the edge of a clearing, like on the weed line with the edge of a clearing. And then the other one was on the another clearing, on the other side of the you know, like the other side of the cutpath for the towers. Yeah, like they were opposite sides of that cuppath. Like if they're in there looking, they're both looking at the cuppath. So I don't know if it would be like an amberge spot, but it was. It was kind of comical because they're like, well, I don't know, it could be just like tumbleweed, know, tuble we'd mean, but like that not that big, not that hollow, no patting, you know. But Jody Cook called me and my dad about two and a half months later and said, look, don't talk to those guys anymore. They're they're running around with your story. You know. There was a write up, somebody wrote a book. One of the guys that did this with us wrote a book Bigfoot in Ohio, and basically word for word told me and my dad's story. They changed our names obviously because I would have sued him so quick and made their headspin. But then the Akron Beckon Journal picked it up and ran a story about it, and I ended up calling that reporter saying, look, this is not how it went. This is not this, this is not this. And she later on got involved with podcasting, and after I gave my story to another podcast, she came on the air a week later and said that I was full of crap, that that area was always flooded like that, that you know, it was more flooded than not flooded, that the pictures that I talk about monster quests are not taken there. That I'm like, okay, you know. So I contacted Jody Crook and asked him for the coordinates because he went back up there a couple of times, and he actually GPS to pin dropped the coordinates, and I sent it to her. I said, you say any more stuff like this, I'm I'm gonna put this out. You're you're lying, You're trying to, you know, benefit your own career, you know. Yeah, I mean I had police chief involved. I had police officers involved because they were told don't go down there without three or four backup, you know, units with you and carry his heavy weapons you want to carry so they know there's something back there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this wasn't just an area where you and your family were claiming stuff was happening. Other people were experiencing it too in the same area.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, I mean there was a guy that used to drive an old German staff when I was little, and he used to drive down the you know, because the road after my grandfather's turned into a dirt road, and the only thing down at the other end of this dirt road was a junkyard. He would go down there, park and then drink. And we'd see him go down there at night and come back the next morning after he you know, woke up or sever it up, whichever the case may be. And there was a couple of times that we heard him hollering and hooping and his car be flying up the street and we're like, yep, grassman got him. But one night he come running up the street, left his car down there, and we never seen him again. We watched him run past my grandpa's house. I was probably nineteen at the time. Watched him run past my grandfather's house. Yeah, I was goes home on lead. It was not right around Christmas and he come running past my grandfather's house and he never run back out his car.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: A week later my grandfather said a toke and he came down and got it. But it goes back to we never had anything happen after middle of September, So I don't know if that's what scared him or but something spooked him out that you know, he took, probably that old German staff guard man and he just he something left it.
Speaker 2: I know there's no way to really know for sure, but do you think something happened specifically to cause them to decide to go in there and tear the place up and flood it out.
Speaker 1: Well, I think if they were going to open it up like they did, I mean it's it's a major walking path, and I really think that when they went down there. According to the people I've spoke with, I'm not going to say their name, but a couple of our council were council members at the time, when's the mayor, then the police chief, they were having so much happen to the equipment down there that they stopped that part of the towpath skipped over and flooded that before the company'd come back in and just lay the payment down. Now, once that happened, it only took him two days to lay the payment down, but it took him two years to get those two days in. But I honestly, I honestly think the wrong person got scared down there, and that's when they kind of like, Okay, we got to figure something out. Because there's too many houses around. You can't go down on a hunt, and you can't apply a black helicopter in here and nobody see it, you know what I mean. You don't have that luxury, so you got to do something else. But I honestly believe that, Yeah, I mean all that areas, there's mines all over the place around here, and there's a trustle down there that literally if you go on that trust so you could drive a Volkswagen bug in it and come up all the way out past Hakercant Airport about thirty five to forty miles. So there's tunnel systems, there's caves, there's mines. I think flooding it was the easiest way to deal with the situation. Yeah, I mean it sucks because it was beautiful back there. I mean there was weeping willows, there was a little pond in the center about in the center of the swooded area. I mean it was great. I mean that was my childhood and the documentary film with small Town Monsters. We went down there and filmed it on the towpath and we're telling the guy me and my dead both. You know, this is all woods. You couldn't see all this, you know now, it's just dead trees there, you know, haven't fallen over yet, you know. And there's no way you need a herring sanctuary. I'm sorry, no.
Speaker 2: No, I mean here in Oklahoma, those things are everywhere.
Speaker 1: Well they're everywhere here too, That's what I mean. Why do you need a sanctuary? So it's just it kind of makes me think that there's some shoddy stuff going on.
Speaker 2: You mentioned earlier, you know, hearing sticks breaking and getting little pebbles thrown at you and stuff. Whenever you're down there. What was going on whenever they're throwing stuff at you? Specifically, it was usually after midnight, and it only happened in certain areas.
Speaker 1: Like if we'd start getting pelder with rocks and we'd move five hundred feet down the canal, they wouldn't follow us. So I want to think that it was a kind warning, Hey you're too close to something, or you're messing up what we have going on, or you know what I mean. It was I never other than that one time, you know, when I was twelve and actually seen it. Because I don't know who you are, but that's going to scare anybody. I don't care if you're a big research you're not what You're ten to twelve feet away from this thing. You can't help but be scared. I mean, it was a sickening feeling of my gut, you know when we heard that. Well, and you know, it's before I knew anything about that infrasound thing and things like that. But I almost think, if I think back, me and my cousin might have been hit with something like that. Now I don't know, but I'm just spitballing here because we both felt sick to our stomach, dizzy. Now, I know fear can do that too, and I'm it was either fear we got hit with infrasound, But it was just a sickening feeling. The one time we were down at the footbridge, which literally is just a drain pipe, like a four foot diameter drain pipe and a grated walkway over it that goes well fifteen feet across the canal, okay. And we were down there standing on that and there's me, my dad, my uncle, and my cousin. Again we were in separable. We were standing down there. We heard something moving through the swampy area, the slashing, you know, and we're waiting for somebody to walk out, you know, like you know, we a homeless guy or you know something, because it's probably been six eight months before anything's happened, you know, we just kind of it's moved on, it's not here. And all of a sudden, we started hearing and I don't want to say sticks. I want to say these are at least saplings being snapped, because it would echo. It literally would sound like a shotgun going off, and we're like what, you know, we all instantly thought what it was, you know, without saying, you know, the grassman's back. But it felt completely different that time than any other, like this was a very strong warning get out, you know, like, okay, if there's a nest back there, that's a breeding nester, a nursery, we might have been too close, yeah, you know, and we took its warning after about ten of those things snapped and we were like, okay, we're gonna go ahead and leave. Let's just walk along the you know, the path which is now the towpath, but you know, it was just a four foot path along the canal the bank there. We just were just gonna walk along here. You know, we made noise the whole time we were going, and we were being paced out. Never seen it, but heard it. You know, it was walking probably ten foot in the woods right with us. Didn't grunt, didn't make any aggressive sounds, but you could hear it walking. It wasn't a hiding the fact that I'm walking you out.
Speaker 2: And how long did it pace you guys?
Speaker 1: All the way to the edge of the woods by my grandfather's house, I mean all the way out. And it never did that before, you know what I mean, it would mess with us, we'd hear it, but usually once we made the turn, like we're heading back to my grandfather's street and you could see the street lights and stuff, we wouldn't hear anything. After that. This thing went all the way up until we crossed over a steel cable that blocked the road from the service road there, and it all the way up. I mean we crossed over that that wire that stretched across and it was probably seventy five yards to my grandfather's house. He was the first house on the street. And we heard that thing all the way up until we hit the driveway. Then we didn't hear it no more.
Speaker 2: Now do you think that was kind of like a boundary for them or do you think they'd come up around the houses and stuff?
Speaker 1: Oh? I knew they come up from the houses. There used to be apartment projects. There was my grandfather's house, another house, and then four apartment complexes right there, like four apartment buildings. Yeah, And we would see the thing and the farmers steal behind our grandfather's house. We would see it in the back, you know, by the woods, right along the apartment buildings. I mean, it didn't hide from us. It's almost like we're friends, you know, I know them, they know me. Now, not the type of friends are all going to go hang out with, But I mean I almost think that they were used to us because we spent so much time back there, and with what my uncle showed me and my cousins, we took care of where we were at. We didn't come back there in trash the place. We didn't, you know what I mean, we respected the wood, and I almost think that that was okay. These guys are okay. Now we started wandering around, that's usually when crap would happen, you know, don't come this way, you know what I mean, and it make a few things. We'd turn around and leave us alone, you know. So I don't know, I don't want to say it was friendly. I mean I've seen, like I said, there was junkyard dogs. There was wild dogs back there. Their heads were just like you grabbed the bottom of their jaw and pull their head all the way back to their back. We seen like twenty of those dogs throughout my time back there, just ripped apart.
Speaker 2: And this was out in the woods or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the junkyard dog the back of the junkyard didn't have a fence, so they would come out into the woods. But they wouldn't mess with you until you got to there, you know, to the junk yard. Yeah, but they yeah, they were all over the place. Years later, I met a guy that used to work nights at the Junkyard as a night watchman, and he said he fired his three fifty seven and something out there there was making all kinds of noise and banging on metal, and you know, I'm like, well, I'm not going to tell you what it was because you're not going to believe me anyway. But you know, you're three fifty seven wouldn't have done nothing.
Speaker 2: So I know you don't want to retell your dad's stories. But with this being your grandfather's house, the events that happened to your dad and your uncle and everything, was this the same area.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, my dad moved into that house. He was born in fifty three. They moved in there in fifty six, so he spent his whole life. You know, my grandfather moved out there in ninety nine is when he moved out of his house. So all that time we were back there, you know. I mean, I'm fifty five now, and from nineteen, let's say I turned eight and seventy, So from seventy eight on, I would go camp back in those woods, you know, even by myself. Times were different, but yeah, I mean I would even go camp there by myself.
Speaker 2: So stuff was happening in this general area for years and years and years. Oh yes, oh yes, yeah, that's really interesting. It's kind of rare that you find places like that.
Speaker 1: Well, the thing is, if you draw I don't know if you're familiar with Ohio, I mean, but you go from the Kyahaga Valley National Recreation Area, which is basically the whole top of Ohio bend patches, but the big area. If you draw a straight line from there to Salt Fork State Park, which is a big foot hotspot in Ohio, my little sections right, you've got to go right through.
Speaker 2: It, right in the middle.
Speaker 1: So I almost think that they're migrating and they just spent some time back there.
Speaker 2: You think that's like a travel corridor.
Speaker 1: I do, I really do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I do have some friends up in Ohio that actively researched, and I can't talk about it too much, you know, out of respect for them giving away locations in area. Like you're saying, you know, Salt Fork has become a well known hotspot, a little too well known for a lot of people exactly. But there are a lot of areas that connect up to Salt Fork. That activity is happening, and they're finding all sorts of stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like Hawking Hills here in Ohio is starting to have a lot of you know, yeah, activity, Ashland County, Ohio is having a lot of activity. The thing that amazes me about the whole Bigfoot community, you got so many people that if you don't believe they're part of it, then you're not a believer, right, And that's the wrong way to do any type of scientific research. I mean, he's come out and said it. It's already been known. I mean, I don't know if you're affiliated with the BFRO or anything like that. But Matt Moneymaker at the school an accurate Okay, he graduated from the university here. He knows about my story. You know. He's like, you know, if there's any I don't know what they call it now, the WU or whatever, I don't want to hear leave that part out. Well, no, there's not really any WOO. But if there was, it's part of the story. It goes with it, you know, and I just I just want to He's got to be open to it. You know, I'm not necessarily saying I believe you know, big pots an alien or can teleport or anything like that. But I'm not opposed to it either. You know, something happens to change my mind, and so be it.
Speaker 2: I've talked to a lot of people, and there's you know, a handful that I very much value and respect their opinions and theories on the subject. However, I have yet to meet anyone that I believe they know for sure one way or the other about any aspect of it. There's a few things we can tell you for sure, that they're out there, that they can walk up right, that they're covered in hair. You know, we know that much from eyewitness accounts and everything. But beyond that, I don't think anybody knows anything.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you what I like. I said the one for visual I had the thing was massive. I mean it was. It's I hear people say four or five hundred pounds, man, I'm I'm even pushing more than that. I'm saying eight to nine hundred, maybe one thousand pounds as bulky as this thing is. I mean, now, I get it ways hard to guess, and you know, I was young, but just the sheer mass alone, and everybody knows muscle weighs more than fast, and the thing didn't look fat. It looked muscular, you know, and it just it left me at all. Now. I watched the film with Patty and I'm not saying real or not for that because I wasn't there. To me, it looks convincing as all get out. But I've also seen some other videos on the Internet that if AI wasn't around, I would say, yeah, they could be it. But now that AI is so relevant and popular with everybody, I almost look at every video on the Internet is most likely Aiah.
Speaker 2: Videos and photographs and things like that at this point are just for entertainment purposes only as far as I'm concerned exactly. I mean, that's just the unfortunate reality of it, unless I'm involved in taking the footage myself or it's you know, somebody I know personally.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. It also gets everyone's like, why is the picture always so blurry? Why is it always so out of focus? I can tell you firsthand. Okay, I mean I've been in firefights. Okay, your blood pressure goes up, you lose feeling in your fingertips. If you're trying to hold a camera still and every muscle in your body is contracting and shaking, every picture's going to be out of focus. It's gonna be blurry. It's gonna be even if you if that's what you're going out there to find when you see it, if you've never seen it before, you're not prepared. And I mean it's been years since I seen it, okay, But I am not gonna lie to you. If I see it again, I'm probably gonna be just as scared as I was the first time I seen it. But it doesn't change the fact that I know what I'm looking at.
Speaker 2: Whenever you talk about the size and the mass of the one that you saw that you got a clearer view of. You mentioned earlier about it kind of blending into the tree and you lost it silhouette and couldn't see it anymore. Uh, something that large? How did you lose it silhouette against a tree?
Speaker 1: This wasn't a little tree, okay. I mean, granted it was bigger than the trunk with wives. I mean the shoulders had to be three and a half four foot across, right, okay. And when this thing went against the tree, it didn't just stop, okay. It kind of trying to think of the best way to explain it, picture yourself walking against its tree instead of going around it. You almost hug it to go around it. I didn't see it go past it.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, yeah, so it could have put itself, you know, the tree between you and itself, and you kind of used the tree as a blind spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he is wider than the tree. Now, like I told you before, I'm Army ranger. It was a seventy fifth Ranger regiment. I know how to look at silhouettes. I learned this after this incident. You know. Like I said, I was twelve years old when this happened, right, But when I'm at Fort Lewis now, mind you, Like I said, I only have blanks and we're on a training op. Okay, five days on the woods. All you have is your ruck and your gear. I don't think I had a good night sleep during that, you know, whole time out there because I'm laying there and I look up and you see a tree, and then you like, blank in the trees doesn't look the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now I'm trained to look for silhouette, you know what I mean. It got to the point where I would keep my night vision on the whole time. They're like, you're going to burn batteries on. I'm like, I don't care. I can see. Oh you're not letting that story good to you? Just stop. Yes, I am. You know what I mean. You don't understand, right, you know, It's just it's not that I was going to do anything if the thing if I got another look at it, but I still wanted to get a look at it. Yeah, I want to see what's going to kill me if that be the case. I don't believe that every big put out there could be a monstrous killer. I almost think that they're not like a human. There's good ones, there's bad ones. There's ones you just don't know about. And I kind of think it's the same with them. I mean, you get down in the southern parts of the country, and the big put down there seem a little bit more mischievous, I don't want to say violent, but more mischievous. You get to the Pacific Northwest, where there's not as many people, it has more room to roam. They're more shy and try to stay away from humans. And I think the ones in the eastern part Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia look at humans as a little nuisance, not going to do anything to you. But yeah, you might be able to mess with them a little bit. Don't give them little bit, don't give them too much, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, where is your thoughts at at this point in life about what these things are?
Speaker 1: Again, just my thoughts, my opinions. I think they're flesh and bloods. I just think they're another form of animal. I mean, in between the Great Apes and US. If you'd have to put them on the you know, the evolution thing. I think they're in between like the Great Apes and US.
Speaker 2: Do you think they'll ever be proven to exist?
Speaker 1: I think so, I really do. I think so. I think it's going to get to the point where they can't deny it anymore. I mean, I believe there are scientists out there that have proof that they are being told. You don't or that, I mean, I don't. I don't think it's gonna be proven on the TV show. I mean I love watching Expedition Bigfoot, but that's strictly entertainment. They're not going to prove it on that because I mean, if they were to prove it, I mean, the last season was pretty cool how it ended with the footage, but TWOV shows over if you prove it, no point having a TV show. So I think that those shows like Finding Bigfoot and Expedition Bigfoot and the whole Josh Gates thing, I think it's strictly entertainment. I mean, Josh Gates got some pretty good proof of the Eddy and he got laughed at. But I mean I really think they're scientists out there that are already known. I'm not talking just about Jeff Meldrum and things like that. I mean actual biologists and zoologists. I think they know it's there, but they they out a reputation alone. I mean, the government can ruin anybody. And if you that that's your livelihood and you come out and say yeah it's real, your livelihood's gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There's no money in it for sure. No for people trying to prove it, especially in the scientific community. I mean that's something that's obviously talked about. You know a lot about how to get scientists on board and everything. Well, scientists, you know, that's their job. It's not just a hobby for them, and they get funding to research and do certain things. And if they're not getting funded to do that, that's just the way it is.
Speaker 1: So well, I'm going to turn it back on you. What's your thoughts on it. I mean, obviously you believe or no, I mean, but oh yeah, do you think it's going to be proven.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I'm kind of of the mindset that they already know. The powers that be whoever they are, already know these things are out there because I know they're out there. You know they're out there. If two guys like us can go out there and have an encounter and sightings and see these things and all these other people have, then of course they know they're out there. They've already studied them, they've already captured one. For whatever reason, they've decided we're not supposed to know about them. And so I just think that's the way it is. I think that's how it's always going to be.
Speaker 1: I hope you're wrong. You're probably not, but I hope you're wrong. I love for the day where you know, I'm watching the news and they break in and you know, breaking news Bigfoot has now proven to be exists. Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to keep on fighting the good fight.
Speaker 1: I got a long list of people I'm gonna call if that ever happened. See I told you yeah, because of my army buddy. See, I wasn't overreacted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Bob, I appreciate you coming on here and sharing your story and talking to me.
Speaker 1: Man Hey, it was a pleasure. I appreciate it. Thank you.
Speaker 2: And if you've had your own encounter with Bigfoot or something else you can explain and you like to share your story on the podcast, email me at Bigfoot Crossroads at gmail dot com. Check out the website Bigfootcrossroads dot com. You can find links to social media, past episodes, merchandise, everything you need all in one place. And until next time, remember there's something in the woods.