Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell andyn on KOA.
Speaker 1: Ninety one FM, got Watty and the Nicey's Three.
Speaker 2: Andy Connell keeping sad bab.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome, let me try that again. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to the show. A Ron is trying to convince me that I'm sick. I'm clearly not sick. I just blew my nose. There's no sickness to be had. But now I'm all like Peter Brady over here. Well, good, well, good, welcome. This is awful. You did this, Anthony. I'm Mandy Connall. Will be here for the next three hours. That's Anthony Rodriguez. He'll be here too. Oh perfect. A Ron is as our theme song was just playing just a moment ago.
Speaker 3: I had a vision.
Speaker 1: I had a vision, epiphotic, yes, that we were on stage performing the Mandy Connell theme song, much like the Monkeys, Like we make a fake band Josie in the Pussycat style.
Speaker 3: And we go up and we could perform the theme song. You're, of course the lead singer because it's a male voice.
Speaker 4: Mandy the musical.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: I feel like I could do drums on this.
Speaker 1: It's pretty basic, right, I mean, it's not that hard, and I keep I can keep good rhythm.
Speaker 3: I know a tiny bit about drumming.
Speaker 1: I think I know enough about drumming that once given the proper guidance, I could fake my way through this pretty easily.
Speaker 4: Mandy played by.
Speaker 3: That that would be oh no, Who would play me?
Speaker 4: That'd be popular?
Speaker 1: Who would play me? I mean, I don't even know who I'm thinking about this? I know, well, of course, I mean, was there ever any I was gonna go uh with, you know, Chris Evans? But whatever, It's fine, you know, yeah, no, So this now, this is an idea circulating, like can't you see it? We could do a music video. It would be so much fun.
Speaker 4: Common spirit heal tax Line five six ex Glindszara, Who should play Mandy and I in a musical? Mandy the musical?
Speaker 1: Best answer wins you tickets to Opening Night?
Speaker 4: There you got, there you go.
Speaker 1: I did not mean to already distract myself in such a terrible fashion, because I have so much stuff on the blog today. It is a cold day outside one of those if you don't need to go anywhere. Just don't. Just don't do it. The roads are still really icy. It's just not very good. And it's still snowing at my house. Is it still snowing there?
Speaker 4: Very lightly?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, So we'll get through this together, Denver Rights and beyond.
Speaker 3: We'll get through snowpocalypse.
Speaker 1: We can handle it. We're tough, we're cut from already stock. As they say. Let's do this though, let's look at the blog together. If you don't regularly look at the blog, I'm not saying that I judge you harshly, but I'm I'm not not saying that I judge you harshly for not reading the blog because I make it so easy to find. You go to mandy'sblog dot com. Mandy'sblog dot com, and then you look for the headline that says one seven twenty five blog why changing a diaper is the ultimate robot test. Then you click on that, and here are the headlines you will find within.
Speaker 5: I think its in office half of American, all the ships and clipments and say that's going to.
Speaker 1: Press plat today on the blog when can a robot change a diaper? No, there isn't another China virus coming. Homelessness skyrocketed in Colorado last year. Mayor Johnson shows how much of a weasel he is. This as Johnston gives himself good grades. Scrolling, scrolling. This made me laugh yesterday. I will drive to Preplo just for this. Another staunch progressive joins the Colorado Senate. Oh and another teacher praying on a student. The praying JASX granny says no thank you to a pardon God is on top of the pot cast world. Costco has always been a progressive company. Good water hyacinths solve the plastics problem. It's time to ban masks. The many failures of Justin Trudeau. Scrolling. Mark Zuckerberg rediscovers free speech. Dex Shepherd loves the Lions. Spider Man and Mary Jane are engaged, and what a heartbreaking reason to leave a team. Little Joy Red tries to keep January sixth a live.
Speaker 3: Costco grinds my gears with this one. You never know when the zumies are gonna hit.
Speaker 1: Sean Payton offends Yes, egg yolk color matters, And those are the headlines on the blog at mandy'sblog dot com. Mandy, you've definitely got a bet Middler thing going on.
Speaker 3: Have her play you. I actually think that's a big compliment.
Speaker 1: I love her. I know her politics are just god awful, but I have loved her work for so many years that I just try to block out the politics so it doesn't suck the joy out of some of her performances that I still absolutely love. You just have to do that. Sometimes I can do that with with you know, some actors I struggle with others. So I appreciate that. Mandy. Don't say you're not sick. Most regular listeners know how sick you are. Well, thank you, sir or madam. You are not entirely incorrect, but not like a Rod's talking about Mandy, Amy Adams and Oscar Isaac. Who is Oscar Isaac?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 1: Yes, I like Amy Adams. That would be a compliment. I think she can kind of do anything. I think Amy Adams could totally pull this.
Speaker 4: Off Oscar Isaac episode seven of Star Wars, among other things. Very very good actor.
Speaker 3: Laura Lenny to play Mandy. I like her too.
Speaker 1: I like that you guys are giving me actors with gravitas, you know what I mean, no fluff that makes me happy. Anyway, let's talk about some of the stuff on the blog, because, as you just heard, there's so much stuff on the blog today and I'm tempted to jump right to the mark Zuckerberg has had to come to Jesus. We'll see how that pans out. We'll do that a little bit later. Coming up at one o'clock. Thomas Fryar futurist, joins us. He's got a white paper. It's not out yet, but we're gonna talk about this. It's when will a robot have the ability to change a dirty diaper? And when you initially think, well, it's not that hard, you know, and you sort of think about putting a diaper on a doll, remember when we all learned how to diaper a doll, And then you actually have a baby and you realize that you're trying to put a diaper onto an octopus that's angry, and so it's, you know, changing a diaper.
Speaker 3: There's definitely an art form to it.
Speaker 1: You got to keep things from fly, I mean just and that is going to be kind of one of the one of the ultimate tests for robots is can they change a diaper? We're going to talk about that at one. Okay, I just want to get this out of the way. I keep seeing stuff pop up on social media. No, mister Bean is not gonna play a Rod. No, Rowan Atkins is not gonna play a Rod. Mandy a wig. Julia Roberts could Aaron Brockovich the hell out of representing you? I love it. Mandy played by Renee Russo a rod cheeach as in cheach maren No, No, no, Mandy. Who's that actress that does the Discover commercials? Jennifer Coolidge? You know I love her. Chuck hates her, just hates her. Just not a fan. Anyway, back to serious topics here. There is not another China virus on the way. People are posting on Facebook things like Chinese hospitals are overwhelmed with people with a mysterious illness. Except it's not a mysterious illness. It is a human meta new wait, let me say if I can do this on the first try. Obviously not meta neumovirus human metanuma virus HMPV.
Speaker 3: The reason that it is not well known in.
Speaker 1: Many places is because for many people it just presents like the common cold.
Speaker 3: It's a respiratory virus and it.
Speaker 1: Is seasonal in China. It's apparently very common in China, and this year's outbreak is not worse than the outbreaks that they've had in previous years.
Speaker 3: So everybody who's freaking.
Speaker 1: Out and dusting off their handmade fabric masks can.
Speaker 3: Just chill out, calm down. It's gonna be fine, absolutely fine. So China. Now, don't get me wrong, I should.
Speaker 1: Say I don't trust the Chinese government as far as I can throw it. I should have stipulated that up front, But right now, the numbers that they're sharing art are not necessarily unbelievable.
Speaker 3: I guess that's the best way to say.
Speaker 1: So don't worry.
Speaker 3: We don't have to worry about another lab leak.
Speaker 1: Hopefully they fix that now that the Americans are not funding their research.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Probably we still are. I don't know. Okay. Gena Davis nineteen ninety two, love that one. Text her Mandy Roseanne Rosanna Dana Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, Oh this is interesting. A Rod did you know there's a technical name for zoomis God? Because we got a zoomi video on the blog today. That's very funny.
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 1: It is FRAPs frenetic random activity periods.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: So your dog is frapping, stop rapping about. I'm going to say that to Jinks when Jinks gets the zoomies as scary because if she hits you while she's zooming, you're you're being tackled. It's like Nick Ferguson knocked you over. Anyway, don't worry about another virus from China. You know, right now in the United States we're having all break of RSV, pneumonia, influenza, and COVID. So all four of those things are happening right now in the United States, and the wastewater shows that they are happening with a great.
Speaker 3: Deal of vigorousness. But I certainly know fewer.
Speaker 1: People this year that are sick right now than I.
Speaker 3: Have in prior years.
Speaker 1: So maybe we're coming out of that period where every winter you were going to get sick with something, just you know, miserable. Everybody I know on the East Coast in the last two weeks has either had COVID or the flu or the neurovirus. Oh I forgot about neurovirus, the stomach bug as we've called it our entire lives. So you know, there's gonna be sickness, you guys, And I realize we're all gun shy, right, we're looking at these numbers, and you know, I saw a very alarmistly written news article about the rise of all these illnesses at the same time, and one of the lines in it was something to the effect of.
Speaker 3: Positive levels.
Speaker 1: Positive tests at this level would not have been enough to lift government restrictions during COVID.
Speaker 3: And what is that supposed to imply?
Speaker 1: First of all, the COVID that we're dealing with now is nothing like the COVID that first emerged. Viruses is part of their lifespan. As they evolve, they become more contagious and less deadly.
Speaker 3: That's why the common cold is such a pain in the ass.
Speaker 1: It it's not going to kill you. It's just going to make you miserable for seven to ten days. Right, It's almost insulting. And that's what COVID will become now. Still, it is still serious for some people. People who have other underlying, you know, issues, or people who are obese, have high blood pressure. Smokers seem to be protected in this one. For some reason, we've never.
Speaker 3: Really checked into that.
Speaker 1: I don't think they wanted to encourage people to pick up smoking just to avoid COVID. But we have to stop panicking every time, you know, illness in the middle of winter goes up. And that's where we are. We're in the middle of winter when everybody's inside together, and that's why this stuff spreads like this, and it happens every single year, and it has happened every single year since the beginning of the world and civilization, right, So we've just got to stop having anxiety about it. I read an article and I can't remember if someone sent it to me, but it is a group of people in Boulder.
Speaker 3: This was in the Boulder Weekly.
Speaker 1: This group of people that are working to get everyone back in masks because one of them said she is immunocompromised, and it's literally, she says.
Speaker 3: Saving her life.
Speaker 1: And they walk around in K ninety five masks all the time, and they're out there handing out masks and trying to encourage people to wear masks. It is so unscientific. The other day a guy came at me on the text line for saying that masks don't work. All the research before COVID showed they did not work. The only random control trial done during COVID showed they do not work. And this guy called me everything but a child of God, and I said, great, send me the random control trials that show that masking works, and I'll reassess my entire position. There's it's not scientific. And yet the people in this article, I my.
Speaker 3: Heart goes out to them because they're.
Speaker 1: They're stuck in this this bubble of fear that that anything, everything is going to happen, and and they're they're they're they're embarking on this don Quixote like quest to control everyone else in the world's behavior.
Speaker 3: You know, that's really what they're trying to do.
Speaker 1: What their endgame is is to have all of us in masks all the time. I'm not ever going to do that again, unless I'm doing surgery, in which case I will protect myself from biological material. So it's it's to me that we have terrified people. And now when I see somebody wearing a mask, I just assume that they are either about to commit a crime, or they are in some way, shape or form ill and have decided that they need to wear a mask.
Speaker 3: I don't care except the crime part.
Speaker 1: And I've got a story on the Blog today that Ilia Shapiro and others are beginning to say it's time to ban masks in big cities. And the reasoning is is that now pretty much the only people left wearing masks are people who have been terrified into thinking that not wearing them is it equates with death, even though the rest of us are still out here every single day, live in our best lives with no masks, not dying. I'm just throwing that out there, just you know, consider it. But it's the only people are those people and people committing crimes. And we've seen them used by Luigi Mangioni in his murder of the alleged murder of the CEO of United Healthcare in New York City last weekend. A guy pushed another guy into the path of an oncoming train wearing a mask to get away with it. So we've got to figure out how to make this work because we've now terrified these group of people that they honestly think they're going to die if everybody doesn't get a mask on, and now you have criminals that are exploiting that, and we've got to figure something out. It cannot go both ways, but do not worry. We are not at the beginning of another China virus, and if it happens, I will be the first one to report it here, unfiltered edited. I'm just passing information along this time. In the next pandemic, god forbid, I'm still here doing radio. In the next pandemic, Mandy, you can hit our Common Spirit Health text line at five sixty six nine Ozero, Mandy. Whole Foods, Sprouts, and Costco are the places I see the most masks. I'm starting to see more of them in airports. A Rod, When you guys flew to Mexico, did you see people in masks? What was the situation?
Speaker 4: Oh, just a normal, occasional not even.
Speaker 1: A handful, really, no, you know, just a smattering here and there. But it's definitely I don't know. Like I said, I just assume that they have a medical condition that they would like to wear a mask, and I don't think about it anymore. Mandy. I wore my first voluntary face mask yesterday because I have bronchitis, and even though I'm not contagious, I was going to get my nails done.
Speaker 3: I knew I wasn't going to.
Speaker 1: Be able to cover my mouth every time I coughed, So just out of consideration for my nail, lady. That's very considerate, Texter, very considerate, Well done, Well done, Mandy says this text. The masks are hilarious. I play in two different pool leagues. One lady plays in both of them. She only wears a mask when her girlfriend is with her social contagion. Wow, wow, what does that say about that relationship? By the way, I mean, ah ah, that's that's going nowhere fast, nowhere, fast man. Mandy, Jennifer Aniston and Jay Harrington from Swat for Us a Rod.
Speaker 3: I like it, Okay, I like it a lot. I could live with that.
Speaker 1: This Texter. Kate Bosworth would be Mandy. She's too skinny, you guys. I love her, but she's so tiny she couldn't Bolt's I need somebody more Amazonian, Okay, because that's honestly how I think about how I'm built. You're like, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm built like an Amazon? I really am.
Speaker 1: I'm just a big person, which will be very handy in a post apocalyptic world, not that I think about those things. When we get back, I've got to talk about you know, we have spent last I checked, and maybe I could. I'll check with Rob Dawson to see if he remembers the number. But I think we're like it like one hundred million something something for homelessness. Maybe hundred and fifty million, I don't know. But I'm going to tell you what happened to hold homelessness in Colorado last year. And if you listen to the show, you already know where this is going. Right, Yeah, let's just say this. We did not really have a good year when it comes to homelessness. But the good news is Mayor Mike Johnson is also giving himself a report card and declaring a little bit of victory in this area. So this is two fun stories to do at the same time. We'll do them when we get back. Keep it right here on KOA. I mentioned in the last segment that Mayor Mike Johnston just had a roundtable where he gave a I guess, a report card to his administration, which is a pretty bold move. I mean, I'd like to give myself a report card as well. But let me preface that by talking about some pretty damning statistics that were just released by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development. Their point in time survey on homelessness has been reported, and they say that homelessness in Colorado has increased by thirty percent in twenty twenty four. That is a staggering number. Staggering number. And I want to have Rob come in because Rob, what exactly? First of all, what was the roundtable? What was the purpose of the roundtable? Was it just to talk about how great they've done? Well?
Speaker 6: Yes, because they have outcomes that they have green in the front page.
Speaker 5: They have.
Speaker 6: His five goals about Denver Vibrant, affordable, safe, great government, employee engagement. Okay, so three of those categories he has a green check mark for a completed goal for vibrant, affordable, and safe and great government.
Speaker 1: Well wait, just like stop, stop, like back that truck up to the station, Rob, So dude said that Denver is now affordable. He gave himself a check mark on Denver being affordable because they just raised the minimum wage again. That means prices are going to go up again.
Speaker 6: So what I think the major problem with all of this is I was listening to this yesterday. First of all, they hit part of his m and a lot of people's. I think it's a growing number of politicians' mo throw a bunch of information at the media. They give us the report as he's talking about it. They're handing out the report to us. So number one, number two, what were his goals? He's he's invented goals that you and thousands of other people probably don't like. And he says he's followed the goals of things that you and other people don't like. And and it's I'm just not putting it on you. There are thousands of people that are really questioning the mayor right now about it. I was in terms of, you know, people that when you bring up affordability, for example, So in the affordability category, his goal at the start of twenty twenty four was reach a total of two thousand people moved indoors from unsheltered homelesses by into twenty twenty four. The outcome was twenty two thirty three brought indoors. You're wondering, how is that affordable? How does that fix the affordability thing?
Speaker 1: I think I don't even know how that's related to affordability.
Speaker 3: I truly don't.
Speaker 1: And when you talk about the amount of money that has been spent to make that happen, that now has to come out of the pockets of Denver taxpayers. I mean that, dude, to us stones the size of candals. I mean, this is this is some ballsy stuff, right, yeah.
Speaker 6: All right, So let me just bring up something of that because I was a Shamboyd that first brought it up.
Speaker 7: I asked him about it in the one on one.
Speaker 6: How many people have moved on from the tiny homes or remember, he's got tiny homes and another group of shelter.
Speaker 7: I think it's like hotels.
Speaker 6: I guess now we're still in the hotels for some of the homeless. So we've got home hotels and tiny homes together. They are housing people. Okay. My curiosity and I think yours all along has been as well. Are we moving people out of this eventually? Or are they just going to be there for two or three years to just kind of hang out, not really work or whatever?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 6: He said, eight hundred and fifty people out of the twenty two thirty three have moved on to permanent housing. He's also proud of the fact that they're not going back to homelessness, but.
Speaker 1: Having twelve percent of the program are people exited back to the streets.
Speaker 7: He said eighty two.
Speaker 6: I think the figure was eighty two percent of either moved on to better housing or are still with us. And it sounds like, if I'm doing the math right, eighteen percent have not succeeded the program. Now, would you say eighteen percent is a lot? Would you also say that the other.
Speaker 1: I actually think that's a pretty good number considering the population that you're.
Speaker 6: You're dealing with, the question is you're also wondering the nitty gritty of how they're get awaging that as success.
Speaker 1: This is just this is to put that next to affordable. That's stuck in my craw rob, because the city of Denver has done nothing except raise its own taxes and then take in, you know, a bunch of illegal immigrants and then ship them around to other neighborhoods. I mean, what is happening in Denver is mind blowing. I guess we should all be impressed that he didn't give himself across the.
Speaker 6: Board so great Again, I think his goals are either a different be too easy to make.
Speaker 7: In his own mind. Because I'm going to give you an example of the minus. First of all, we were texting yesterday. I was upset.
Speaker 6: I was not aware of the op ed for my COPMA before I went in there.
Speaker 7: It was brought up.
Speaker 6: In the sense that he said, I'll be happy to talk about it, but then he didn't talk about it. But I guess it was brought up in a one on one. I didn't catch it as well. I didn't go two and two together and enough time to ask him one on one on this.
Speaker 7: Here's what I think if I'm.
Speaker 6: Listening to him, and his goal is I want to help everybody, whether or not it seems like his goal is, I want to help anybody who enters the Denver city.
Speaker 7: Limit who is a migrant.
Speaker 6: I want to help because he's proud of we got five thousand people work authorization. We're going to have our first group of people from the Denver Asylum secret program graduates soon. That's his version of success. And that's what's difficult I think to get He won't get off of that like you try.
Speaker 1: To get him off of that. I think there's a lot of Denver rights right now that are starting to say, wait a minute, what about us, right?
Speaker 7: You know how we've been into the success.
Speaker 1: Right, And I think that that's going to be if if he continues in the manner that he is continuing, which is he has spent so much money with almost no accountability until after it's spent, right, And I know that there are some members of the Denversity Council that are starting to get tired of that.
Speaker 7: Amanda Sawyer and Stacy Gomore.
Speaker 6: In particularly the ones that are are they although there's not enough of them to reject or the wind up passing it, but they but they were like, we wish we could spend on other programs that might be cheaper and more effective instead of throwing the money truck at buildings and you know, hotels and the embassy suites.
Speaker 1: You know, it seems like you know. And don't get me wrong, one of the things that I actually admire about him is that he hit the ground running and just started doing and doing and doing and doing.
Speaker 3: But at some point when doing and doing and doing ends.
Speaker 1: Up spending way too much money for too little a return on investment, then you've got to start being a little more cautious.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what I'd like to see.
Speaker 6: What I texted you yesterday and what I was trying to understand his version of downtown. I do think the homelessness is his number one issue. But I think the symbolic issue, which maybe two or three, and it all kinds of comes together, is is downtown better?
Speaker 7: First of all, I asked him.
Speaker 6: You have a lot of numbers, you're a numbers guy, but people don't feel it.
Speaker 7: They don't feel like downtown is better.
Speaker 6: I kind of wanted to ask them too about how expensive everything is, because that's another complaint of people. And you know, I didn't have time. We were under a time limit. But I asked him. I was like, first of all, is this a white flag that businesses aren't coming back? Is that why you want to convert residential housing? Business space to residential housing.
Speaker 7: No, I wouldn't say that. We just want a well round a neighborhood.
Speaker 6: We want, you know, if there's more people at nine o'clock at night walking their dogs or going for a run, then it's going to be safer. It's going to be safer when there's more people areund I love this.
Speaker 1: I love this this and there's some truth to it. Right, people are less likely to attack people about.
Speaker 6: I mean, if it's a downtown, it's a ghost town, which a lot of the reports are asking, Hey, downtown is still a ghost town.
Speaker 7: Oh that's okay.
Speaker 6: The voters approved the expansion of the Downtown Development Authority. Is going to raise five hundred and seventy million dollars. We're going to expand the district and it's going to a lot of it's going to be used for transitioning business space into residential space, and we'll get more people living down there and it'll be affordable down there. This is what we hear, and it comes around the circle. Well, how quickly is that going to happen?
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know the answer to any of these questions, Rob, but it's like I said, this mayor's got some stones, and you put this together with his response to Mayor Kaufman's op ed that you just mentioned, which essentially was nuh.
Speaker 3: I mean, honestly, it was like.
Speaker 1: So flippant that I think this mayor is going to have a lot of problems with accountability when it gets down to it, because to your point, people don't feel like it's getting better. I just had a guy on who lives in the Highlands and he sent this letter to his landlord about why they were.
Speaker 3: Leaving the Highlands.
Speaker 1: And it's heartbreaking because people have now hit their limit and now they're just leaving. So that's not going to fix Denver either. So it's this whole thing's a mess. But I appreciate you taking second. Let me know what's going on.
Speaker 7: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 6: Can I just add one other thing about affordable Okay? So one of his goals that he said he succeeded was permit secure of financier support the development of three thousand long term affordable units, and he said, we did threeenty twenty two last year. So someone asked, well the sales tax thing, remember the sales tax to get that pot of money?
Speaker 7: That was very unclear. That's why I felt He's.
Speaker 6: Like, yeah, it's gonna be harder this year because we did a lot of this with arp of money and that arp of money is not going to be there. So we that's why we came up with the sales tax idea, because the art of money is going away. We need one hundred million dollars to fill the gap.
Speaker 7: And since we didn't do that, And I know.
Speaker 6: What you're I think what you're thinking is why is stuff like this being done with arp of money?
Speaker 1: Like, why is stuff like this being done by government? Get out of the way and incentivize builders to build. All right, Ron, we're going to take a break. Thank you, Rob Dawson. Back to your room, hoole, We're gonna take a quick time out. We'll be very buck You know, I mentioned this when I was talking to Rob Dawson about the mayor's response to the mayor's op ed. Of course, I'm talking about Mayor Mike Johnston's response to Mayor Mike Kaufman's op ed that he did yesterday, essentially throwing Mayor Mike Johnston under the bus. The backstory for those of you who might be just joining us today is that, uh, the Mayor of Aurora found out through open records requests that the Mayor of Denver had been paying non governmental organizations or NGOs as they're called, to move migrants out of Denver and into Aurora without notifying Aurora and essentially leaving all of these illegal immigrants homeless at the end of their thirty day voulters. So Mike Kaufman called out Mike Johnston on the issue in an op ed yesterday, and Mike Johnston, I guess, had this to say about it. He said, first, the City of Denver never places anyone anywhere. He's that he was blindsided by the op ed that included a headline claiming Denver's mayor offloads immigrants in Aurora. Johnston said, I'm surprised by this because Mayor Kaufman and I have a collaborative relationship. You know what. It's not collaborative to dump off illegal immigrants into somebody else's city and not let them know. Not collaborative at all. According to Johnston, Denver contracted with two nonprofits to find housing for migrants after more than forty thousand of them were bussed here from Texas last year. Johnston said, we give them dollars and they decide on housing. That sentence, ladies and gentlemen, is called passing the buck. Hey, it's not my fault.
Speaker 3: We don't tell him where to put these things. You have to just it's their fault, not mine.
Speaker 1: He continued. Every day it's looking for where that housing is and identifying what open unit it is. You might go to Thornton, you might go to North Glenn, you.
Speaker 3: Might go to Denver.
Speaker 1: So Thornton and North Glenn. You're on notice now if you read the op ed yesterday, which I linked to in the blog yesterday by Mayor Mike Kaufman. You would see that through those core requests, a line into the contract with the NGOs was inserted that said Denver or the surrounding areas to give these NGOs the permission to put illegal immigrants in other cities without notifying anyone that it was happening. Collaborative, My heini, this is not collaborative. So what we've learned here is that the City of Denver pays non governmental organizations to move illegal immigrants somewhere, and then no one bothers to ask, hey, uh, where'd you put those people? Should I mean, should we give them a call? Should we you know, just let them know that No? No, okay, no, I'm good. I don't want to know. La la la la la. That's the City of Denver's stance right now. They're gonna put their fingers in their ears and la la la la la themselves away. Anyway, it's all on the blog, you can check it out. But man, I'm telling you, Mayor Mike Johnson is like leaning into that kind of opie persona, and he thinks that people are gonna let him continue to not answer questions.
Speaker 3: But I'm telling you. Eventually, maybe maybe.
Speaker 1: He'll be held to account for some of these decisions that have not particularly been successful and have cost a tremendous amount of money. When we get back, we're talking to our futurist Thomas Frye about robots changing diapers. Now, that sounds like a weird thing to be talking to Thomas Frye about, but it is a tremendous challenge for people in robotics to make that simple thing happen. We're gonna talk to him right after this. Keep it on, Kowa. Thomas Frye joining us from the future. Well, I mean maybe you're a little, uh, you know, further east than I am. I don't know. Good to see you, Thomas, Yeah, great being on your show again. So you sent me this paper that you'd written about a robot changing a diaper. And when you say it like that, like, because I said this earlier in the show, when will a robot be able to change a diaper? And it sounds like a simple proposition when you think about when you had to take those life skills classes and they gave you the doll and you had to do the triangle for the diaper, and you're like sure, a robot could do that, but then once you become a parent, you realize that it's like trying to put clothes on a fighting you know, octopus, angry octopus, and that's pooped everywhere, you know.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of different layers to it.
Speaker 1: Why is it important? Well, what kind of milestone is it for a robot to be able to change a human baby diaper?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 8: See, I view this as kind of the turn test of humanoid robots because it requires these tactile skills. That requires the ability having adaptability and the resources to deal with the screaming child and.
Speaker 5: Lots of variables that normally don't get.
Speaker 8: Programmed into something like this, and then also the ability to gain the trust of the mother.
Speaker 5: And that's the key thing here.
Speaker 8: I think that if you don't get the mother's trust, they will never buy a robot for their home. And so this is one of the kind of the ultimate litmus tests. I think of a robot like this, can they handle all of the different things, the different smells and the different chaotic moments and all of that and still perform a flawless job.
Speaker 1: So you just mentioned the touring test, and what is the Touring test and t U R I n G is what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Alan Touring.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Alan Turing in around nineteen fifty he was just asking this question, can machines think? And so he came up with this Turing test, and the crude form of the test was, as you go into a room and it has two curtains, and behind one curtain is a computer and behind the other curtain, as a person, you start asking questions and the computer can answer and the human can answer, and at a certain point in time, as the computer evolves, then he sees surmised that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between which is the computer and which is the human.
Speaker 5: And so we've used that kind of that Turing test.
Speaker 8: As kind of a litmus test for how far we've advanced with computer technology. And clearly we've passed the Turing test and several different categories, but there's a lot more categories to go in the future, because.
Speaker 1: I mean, chat GPT can have a conversation with you that is, you know, realistic enough that if you truly didn't know that it was a computer, you maybe could be fooled until they tell you something whack a doodle. I mean, you know, but I think that's an interesting standard. So to be passable, let's just call it passable. That's a good way to put it, To be passable as a human in a conversation with robotics, What is it about specifically the physical part of changing a diaper that would have to be addressed that we haven't already addressed, if you know.
Speaker 5: What I mean. Yeah, I think it's all the variables.
Speaker 8: A child is squirming and screaming and crying and fussing and thrashing around, and.
Speaker 5: All of this is kind of delicate, little little pieces, so you don't want to hurt the child, you don't want to pinch the skin.
Speaker 8: There's all kinds of things that can go wrong in the middle of all this, and for people, this becomes a real high anxiety situation at times. Most of the time it's fairly straightforward and you can change diaper, zip, zip, zip, and you're finished. Other times it turns, especially when you're in public trying to do something.
Speaker 1: I think every parent has at least one story of that time my kid pooped all over me in public. I think everybody has at least one of those in their arsenal. If you're a parent, you know, and then you're in the in the you know, in the room trying. I absolutely understand that. So how far are we away? Because I have seen some videos lately that have been so realistic that I had to go back and I'm like, is this AI?
Speaker 9: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it real? I hate that AI video has has gotten to the point where it truly is impossible to tell if what you're seeing is real or not. And where are we in robotics process right now? Like how close are we to having a robot that has just a soft enough touch that a mom would feel confident giving her baby to that robot?
Speaker 8: Okay, to put this in perspective, there's over one hundred companies throughout the world that have received funding for creating humanoid robots, so it's not possible to know exactly where all of them are in what stages are at.
Speaker 5: But in some of the videos I've.
Speaker 8: Seen of Optimists, that's the Elon musk about that it was creating the way the hand moves and is manipulated, and everything seems very it has some very delicate skills tied in with it. I think I think at least by two thousand and thirty. If not sooner, he'll be able to accomplish something like this. But again, the real litmus test ends up being is the mother going to trust the robot to do it? And I think there's a lot of barriers there. If the robot just screws up in one way or another, if the kid gets pinched one time, then they're going to be very hesitant to try it again.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I got to tell you, I'm already thinking of a science fiction thriller where in the future there is a world and robots are starting to become a normal part and then this extremist organization who doesn't want any kind of robotics goes in and actually kills a baby and frames a robot so they can prevent more robots from being purchased. That's my new just popped into my head right now, So if anybody wants to write that with me, let me know. But that's how my brain works, Mandy, and I think this is a valid question, Thomas, how long before babypas all over the robot? These robots are going to have to be durable, water proof, They're going to have to be able to function in a urinated on state correct, right.
Speaker 8: They're going to be asked to do all kinds of crazy things, not just infante care, but elder care, managing people in.
Speaker 5: The therapeutic situations where.
Speaker 8: PTSD issues are occurring, as people that are screaming and yelling and probably narcotics are involved, and you have to get somebody off of their the high that they're on. You can start going through a list of all kinds of psychotic situations that they may be thrust into, and then you can start seeing the total kind of chaos that they're going to have to contend with.
Speaker 5: I think there's going to be lots of challenging situations. I'm not sure this is very straightforward at all.
Speaker 1: Well, let me let me ask you this, because, like when I think about this and I think about what robots could look like in the near future, we think of humanoid robots. And I'm just going to use data from Star Trek Next Generation as an example, because technically he was a droid, but it's okay, we're going to use him as an example. Are we going to get to a place where they're going to have a human skin or a circulatory system exterior that is going to allow them to have a true human appearance, because that's I think what freaks people out. But on the flip side, you know that that could solve a lot of problems for people who are lonely. I mean, there's there's so many different weird applications for this, right I think.
Speaker 8: I think this the skin is going to change quite a bit over time as they become more human like and lifelike. In this idea of actually growing the skin on robot, I think we're going to be getting into.
Speaker 5: That fairly soon.
Speaker 8: So these are some of the things that we'll have to contend with us as robots evolve over the next forty fifty years. Keep in mind that the cars that we drive today have been in development for the last one hundred and twenty plus years, so it's taken that long to get the cars that are this good now. To get to a robot that is so finally refined that it can handle all these human like tests, it's going to take a while.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm okay with that.
Speaker 1: I have one more question about the robot thing, though, and that is like, in my mind, if I were going to have a robot caring for my child, which is not a given by any stretch of the imagination. Okay, so I would want to know that they were programmed with everything like first aid, so they know exactly what to do. And I was thinking to myself, like, would there be any limits to what you would want your robot to know? Or do you want a true know it all robot that you could go to at any given moment and say, robot, you know what's the flight spleeed of an unlaiden swallow and ask them the question and get an answer, So you know, how are there are you going to compartmentalize that knowledge? I guess this is my question.
Speaker 8: Well, if you have your five year old kid hanging out with robot asking a lot of questions, you may want to limit what they're willing to talk about, right right?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's probably a good idea. It's probably a very very good idea. An extraordinary number of people are hitting the text line with robot sex doll conversations.
Speaker 3: What is wrong with you people?
Speaker 1: But that's not what I was talking about when people were lonely. I'm talking about the epidemic of loneliness in this country, where it would be kind of cool to say I'd like to create a companion for me, and you could program the knowledge set that that robot got and maybe you say, look, I want them to have the same historical progression that I had growing up. So you can almost build yourself a peer And as people get older, and I mean in their eighties, late eighties, nineties, most of their peer groups starts to die. And that was something I learned from my late mother in law. She just wanted to talk to people who understood the references, you know, she wanted to talk to people who had the same cultural art that she had. So I think from that perspective, it could be a really interesting situation where you'd have a care you know, maybe a residential facility full of older people, and you could literally program them to be a different friend for every single person in that in that.
Speaker 8: Place, right right, And if you think about how long would it be before somebody is willing to leave and go out on a date with their wife or their husband and just let the robot care for the kids. Yeah, that'll be a different stage as well, having the robot and you know, prepare dinner for a room full of guests, people that show up for you're having invited twelve different people over for dinner and you have the robot prepare everything and then clean up afterwards and do the dishes. How skilled does that robot have to be to accomplish all of that? And is this a humanoid robot or is this just a kitchen with robotic arms that are doing most of that work.
Speaker 1: I got to tell you, I want a humanoid robot, at least humanoid ish, right, like those weird Honda dogs with no heads. I don't want that running around my property. I want something that looks more recognizable. That isn't the stuff nightmares are made out of, right, I want something that feels a little more rosy the robot than you know, a faceless kind of droid that's I don't know that straddles a weird line between you know, human and plastic that I wanted to somewhat be something that looks identifiable.
Speaker 3: I guess yeah.
Speaker 8: So if you yell at your robot dog, you wanted to acknowledge that it's being yelled.
Speaker 5: At us.
Speaker 1: Instead of it turning around and you're flipping me off. If robots are used for crime, then who is responsible? These are the reason I read that question because it is kind of silly, but it's not. That's part of the ethical dilemma in robotics like that, that's a big part of it. Can you order a robot to commit a crime? You know, I don't know who's.
Speaker 5: Doing that, right, right? Yeah, Yeah, we think we have problems now.
Speaker 8: I think we're going to get into really complicated things. But when we get into a world of robots soldiers and robot fighting machines, then kind of all bets are off because it's not just humanoid robots, it's flying robots that are drones.
Speaker 1: Right, That's what concerns me. That concerns me a lot more. The drone technology has come so far so fast that I think drones are really the next frontier when it comes to warfare, more so than humanoid robots, because they're way cheaper and they can be deployed right now, and the kind of precision nature that drones deliver is very concerning to me. I think that might be one of the most end up being one of the most significant weapons for the next twenty years, used by everybody, terrorists, I mean, everybody scares the crap out of me.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to lie, Thomas.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and then when you start thinking about, well, what form can these robotic soldiers take. They can look like a robotic snake as an example, yep, or a robotic fish that goes through the water and jumps out and blows up.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thanks for another thing to worry about. Now I'm fly fishing, Thanks so much, Thomas. It's bad enough I'm not going to catch anything. Now I have to worry about a giant fish leaping out of the water and using laser eyes to mow me down right there in the river.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, robot fish takes your fish off the hook.
Speaker 3: Hey, yeah, there you go, Yeah, a whole.
Speaker 1: It just eats it whole. No, did you see? And I don't know. I saw this last week. I should have found it and put it on the blog today, but I forgot. South Korean scientists have made tiny little nanobots that are based on ants, and it's absolutely the same concept as the movie Big Hero six.
Speaker 3: And I don't know, if you watch The Big Aero six, it's very good.
Speaker 1: But the whole thing is this kid invotes these little nanobots, and of course then someone steals them to use them for evil. But it's amazing to see they have these little tiny almost like grains of sand or not sand rice, And they can move things, and they can program these little robots sort collaboratively to move stuff the same way ants move stuff. And I'm thinking to myself, this is crazy. I mean, this is science fiction.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're they're coming in every every scale.
Speaker 8: You can imagine every shape, every possible form, and they'll have multiple capabilities that we can we can just start going down a checklist.
Speaker 5: Can they fly? Can they swim?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 5: And they jump?
Speaker 8: And they can they climb a tree? Can they attach themselves to a car or a moving vehicle?
Speaker 5: And that's the world we're moving into.
Speaker 8: And somehow we've got to create limitations to prevent this from just totally disrupting the world that we live in.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, we've all seen the science fiction movies, and I'm just going to lean into it. You know, when the robots take over, Yeah, it'll be fine. I mean, can they do any worse than we're doing right now? On so many levels? So many levels? I also real quick, I want to get to this before we run out of time. I also linked to a story that you did about kids making a move away from college and yet still being able to have a successful career.
Speaker 3: And I wanted to ask you about this specifically.
Speaker 1: Because we've been talking a lot, and I know we don't ever talk about politics, but there's been a lot of conversation about H one B visas and immigrant labor, especially in the tech field, and things of that nature.
Speaker 3: So it seems that what you're.
Speaker 1: Saying in this article that I linked today on the blog is that there are companies that are offering certifications and other things to let tech minded kids who don't necessarily need to go the college route go ahead and pursue that as a career. Is that what we're looking at now?
Speaker 8: Right right there's lots of alternatives out there. They can go to trade schools, they can do apprenticeships, they can take online courses, go to community college coding boot camps, and the certification are actually becoming an alternative to college degrees. And so that's that's becoming very interesting. And a lot of them are just going straight into entrepreneurship. They're just going to start their own company and run with it. And so how do we credential people that have this miss mash of skills that are coming into the workforce right now now there's this the declining birth rates and the expensive tuition and the diminishing ROI that people get off going to college is amounted to only thirty six percent of people express confidence and higher education right now, so that that number keeps declining because the price keeps going up. I mean, we have one point seven trillion dollars in student loan debt in the country and in a huge portion of that, three point five million people over at the age of sixty still over one hundred and twenty five billion dollars.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of money for retirement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is.
Speaker 8: A problem where we're just taking money from the future, and while it enriches us today, this creates this massive problem moving forward into the future.
Speaker 1: Well, I wanted to bring up the article because I think that I know people that have gone this route who did not go to high school. I mean, excuse me, did not go to college, but got Microsoft certifications, got various network certifications, did a lot of other stuff, and just went to work in tech. And now at my age, so that was thirty years ago before that was cool, and now they're vice president level and been developing for thirty years.
Speaker 3: So it is a viable pathway. But it's nice that.
Speaker 1: I think it's interesting because I believe that higher ed has done this to themselves by not adapting, by by continuing to cling to a model that doesn't necessarily work for everyone. And now it's we're going to We're going to see colleges clothes with some great regularity, I think, over the next ten years. But I think that's a good thing, and maybe they'll get serious about delivering on a mission by making sure the kids graduate with skills that can help them get an actual job.
Speaker 8: When you think of the cost of managing an entire campus and the student body, and the security, and the utilities and just all of the maintenance and repair an entire campus like that, these things are very expensive, and so they have to charge a lot of money to maintain all that, And I just I think we're at a point where fewer and fewer people.
Speaker 5: Are going to be willing to pay that, yep. And so we're going to.
Speaker 8: See lots of consolidations. We're going to see lots of selling off of assets. Mergers are going to happen. So we're going to see lots of crazy activity in the academia over the next even five years. Yeah, going to happen pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: Here Thomas Fryar futurists.
Speaker 1: You can find him if you want him to come speak to your organization about anything from the future.
Speaker 3: He is available to make that happen.
Speaker 1: Thomas. Good to see you, my friend. I'll see you next time. All right, Thanks by Thomas, We'll be right back. Keep it on KOA.
Speaker 3: You can always text us at five six six nine.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 1: It says, are you aware that if students do not pursue college or approve trade school after high school graduation, that the high schools are dinged on the post secondary and workforce readiness portion of accountability reporting.
Speaker 3: And to this person, I responded, that is not my concern.
Speaker 1: Now. I don't want schools to be dinged on accountability, but I also would always look out for what was in the best interest of whatever individual we were talking about, and I don't know what that would be. Many of you on the tech line of pointed out that right now, coding is not the gravy train to the future that it once was, and to be perfectly frank, if I was advising a young technically minded kid who didn't necessarily want to go to college.
Speaker 3: I would tell him to find a robotics program and work.
Speaker 1: In robotics, because someone's got to be able to make all this stuff work right. And if coding isn't the thing, there's so many different options. What I don't understand, and I've not understood this for about ten years now, because about ten years ago roughly, I interviewed a man or a woman, I can't remember if it was a woman from what was then Arkae Mechanical which is now just ark and they have an internship program there, an apprenticeship program, I should say that at the time, and I have no idea if this is still.
Speaker 3: Going on, but I was so impressed with it at the time.
Speaker 1: I hope it is. They paid their apprentices to learn the job, and they taught people how to do all kinds of trades, and it was just a really good program. And they started it because they didn't have enough skilled labor to do what they needed done. And I'm sitting here looking at the conversation about H one B visas, and I know people who have come here on an H one V visa. I know people who have hired people on an H one B visa. I will tell you that in Orlando, there are so many people working at Disney World on an H one B visa for a couple of reasons. One, they just found that young people from other countries worked harder than Americans did, and that's why they bring them over. But when it comes to things like tech skills, why aren't companies that are making a ton of money and are sitting there crying about the workforce saying, look, we're going to create our own workforce. We're going to allow people to test into a program that will teach them how to do what they need, you know, we need them to do.
Speaker 3: And yet not everybody's going to stay working for you.
Speaker 1: So essentially you're training your competition's people, but at least you're going to know exactly what they learned when they go work for someone else. Mandy, do you know of any laws governing the programming of robotics security dogs to use lethal force?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: And that was the question that someone asked. If you programmed a dog to kill an intruder, but you didn't clarify what intruder was, and the dog kills the mailman, that seems to me like that would be a huge problem. So these are all these questions like if okay, let me ask you guys and you can weigh in on the common Spirit health text line at five six six nine. Oh, what weird question do you have about robot ethics? Because I think that's kind of a weird question, and that's about robot ethics. Who's responsible if you are a robot security dog kills someone. Now if they kill him on accident, you know, they something happens and they roll over and hurt some I don't know, I'm just speculating here, but you know, a true accident, then would they be would they be who would be guilty of manslaughter? Who would be held Ultimately the person who owned the robot would be held liable. But it's just very very interesting questions to ask about robots because.
Speaker 3: I do think we're moving.
Speaker 1: To a place where I hope anyway that by the end of my life, robots will be there to fill many of the roles that people don't want to fill now, you know, and we have far too people, far too few people that are able to be compassionate caregivers for the elderly. And when I'm elderly, if I could have a super nice robot that was programmed to talk about eighties music and Seinfeld and took really good care of me. I would be perfectly.
Speaker 3: Fine with that, perfectly fine.
Speaker 1: Hey, Mandy, Disney out so its entire id to it department years ago. That's why there's so many h one bs in Orlando, except most of those I think are in their offices in Seattle. I have a friend who was displaced by an H one B visa worker at Disney. She had to train her replacement and then they fired her.
Speaker 3: So awesome.
Speaker 1: Disney happiest place on earth unless you're a programmer. Manby, I agree with you, But why doing schools when they're doing what is right for students in Colorado? It's because of the law. I have always been in favor of holding schools accountable always. I think that the fact that you have schools, high schools in some places that are graduating twenty percent of their students, thirty percent of their students, even fifty percent of their students on time, and they're allowed to continue is criminal behavior.
Speaker 3: But I think we've swung the pendulum too far.
Speaker 1: We have now created the necessity of layers and layers of administrators and bureaucracy just to conform with the edicts from layers and layers of bureaucracy.
Speaker 3: On top of them, and one of those things, you know, I get it.
Speaker 1: You want to know if the kids that go to the high school you're thinking about putting your kid in go to college. If that's your goals, then you want them to be around other college bound kids.
Speaker 3: I get it, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: But ultimately, you've got to look out for the kid first and they have to figure that out.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, here's a good one.
Speaker 1: This is you guys. Are you know what I've always thought that my listening audience was. I just envision you guys. You know, nice, proper people. You put your napkin in your lap when you eat, you know, you hold the door open for people. This is how I envision all of you.
Speaker 3: And then I get this text message. If I have a sex robot and sell it, am I a pimp?
Speaker 1: That is the ethical question that is asked on our text line right now, right now, Texter, I have my I am disappointed and you face on Okay, just imagine it. Yep, that's it.
Speaker 3: That's the face, Mandy.
Speaker 1: What constitutes consent with a sex robot? Excellent question?
Speaker 3: What if your security dog jumps the fence.
Speaker 1: Another good question about robot dogs killing people. If my robot was Johnny five from Short Circuit, I would be happy as a clam, says this texter. How could you not like cutest robot ever? Hey, guys, wasn't in my car to find out if you actually spoke about having robots on a farm to prevent coyotes or wolves. No, but that is a fantastic idea. See now, that would be the perfect application for those weird headless dog like robots that are scary as hell. That's where you put them out in the field with the wool. That's a great idea, Texter. Maybe the robot manufacturer would be held liable. Ask Ross about the exploding pressure book. Oh no, oh no, uh let's see, well, I have a employee, former employee of Arcaye Mechanical, not a fan. Not a fan anyway, So that's going to end our discussion on robots because I'm afraid more robots sex questions.
Speaker 3: Are going to come out anyway. We'll be right back after this.
Speaker 1: I think I'm going to plan a little mini Mandy Connell adventure for mid twenty twenty five. Do you know what is happening in Peblo, Colorado in mid twenty twenty five. Anthony Rodriguez, No, but I should. Uh. There's a Bojangles Fried Chicken opening in Peblo, Colorado, and I am going to be leading a pilgrimage to Bojangles.
Speaker 3: Have you ever eaten at Bojangles?
Speaker 8: Ay?
Speaker 4: Rod No, I don't believe I have.
Speaker 1: Okay, with your new exploration of Cajun food in New Orleans, Bojangles is going to immediately be your favorite fried chicken place. It's so good.
Speaker 3: I'm so mad it's in Preblo and not.
Speaker 1: Closer to me.
Speaker 4: Challenge accepted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think. Do you think if we rented a bus? Here's what I'm thinking. We rent a bus. We just go down to Preblo for the day, you know, like lunch, and then come back there. You go bada bing bataboo. Supoos. Just have to find out exactly when it's opening. Now, if you don't know about Bojangle's Chicken, let me just share this with you. They're a Carolina based restaurant chains started in nineteen seventy seven in Charlotte, North Carolina. They have since grown to eight hundred delicious locations. In seventeen states. Bojangle says it's legendary food is made from scratch and serve with a friendly smile. And guess what their tagline is a ride yo. It's bow time.
Speaker 3: No oh, see the synergy, synergy.
Speaker 4: I'm becoming aver in this.
Speaker 1: What a perfect time to enter the Colorado market because it's bow time has two meanings and one is delicious. I don't know about Bonnet, maybe he's delicious as well, but I do know about Bojangles Fried Chicken.
Speaker 3: And I'm a little too excited about this.
Speaker 1: Because you're from here, I can't ask you this question, but I'm going to ask my audience, many of you have moved from somewhere else, what what chain would you like to see have a presence in Colorado? And for me, it is Crystal Burger's first, and Bojangles because bo Jangles is absolutely the best.
Speaker 4: The easy cop out answer is now no longer an issue because for decades, Coloradin's always asked for in and out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now we have them there everywhere, bringing up like mushrooms after a rain.
Speaker 4: So now that check mark. I don't I don't know, I mean, I know, no, I take it back, I do know what people are going to say, and they're crazy and gross.
Speaker 2: What a burger?
Speaker 3: But what's already here?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What burger's here? I love what a burger?
Speaker 3: Because what burger was drunk food in college for me.
Speaker 1: So I have this like deep attachment to Waterburger, even though you know the fries are gross. I don't like the skinny shoe string fries whatever, but I still love Waterburger even sober. I still enjoy a Waterburger. But Crystal Burgers are like White Castle, only better. And they have these war dogs. Oh they're so good. So text me at five six six nine know if you're from if you're not from around here originally, what do you miss? Mandy? I'm in for the charter best of Bojangles in Preblo when they go let's go, let's go. Bojangles at the Charlotte Airport ruined it for me more the airport than the chicken. Do not hold the mess that is the Charlotte Airport against the delicious fried chicken served by our friend's Bojangles.
Speaker 4: Never take into account the airport versions.
Speaker 1: Come on, people, No, what did I tell you when when we were in Milwaukee, couldn't find anywhere else to ea because the airport's stinky, and he's like, let's go to Chili's. Every airport Chili's sucks. They all suck the same exact way. The service sucks, the limited menu sucks. They all suck. So you cannot hold that against Chilis, which which actually does a pretty dark good job by.
Speaker 4: The Beachers, is the lone example, the only example that has ever been good in an airport, and also good Beacher is the one where I got the cheese.
Speaker 1: Remember, oh yeah, that was a good one. You know, we actually have really good food in the Denver Airport because we have local restaurants that have opened an outpost and we are sort of the not the norm. Everybody's saying white Castle, y'all. I'm telling you right now, Crystal is a far superior product to white Castle, far superior. What is uh Brohms that's made an appearance a couple of times, round table pizza? Uh yeah, Cindy's gonna come with us to the bow Jangles Pilgrimage. Now, what do we need for an actual pilgrimage? And I don't mean to disparage pilgrims. I'm just curious. I've never pilgrimmed to something. What is required for a pilgrimage? Do we have to wear specific outfits?
Speaker 4: A double decker bus to drive us all?
Speaker 1: Do we even have those?
Speaker 4: I don't think so. M so we need to get one. Anyone got one?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Eco?
Speaker 1: I love? Okay, I missed them. Did you ever have those here?
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Actually they were a thing. They were everywhere all over Florida, and I.
Speaker 3: Loved a playa loco.
Speaker 1: It was like a Cuban chicken and beans and plantains and stuff like that. Super super good.
Speaker 2: And then they kind of went away.
Speaker 4: Do we have any of Guy Fieri's restaurants here, because his burger joints are good? I don't think we have any here. We do not having one of those? We had one on our cruise.
Speaker 1: Oh man, wait a minute, I'm here, but spent some time in Chicago. I want a Portrillos. We have that here, don't we? Yeah, we have a Portillo's here. Hang on, that's what I thought. Or uh, we are eyeing a location in Littleton. They already have a location show we got too.
Speaker 4: We got a lost dose, two lost dose. We got one in and they're phenomenal one in Centennial, Yeah, and one in Littleton. Yeah.
Speaker 1: There you go, So you got your Patrillo's. See, we're here to connect people and make their dreams come true. Boom broms is ice cream from Texas. Okay, okay, do we have I think we have five guys here, don't we?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we have five guys. We have smash Burger. We have what's the other one?
Speaker 4: Oh, smash Burger.
Speaker 1: What was the other five guys?
Speaker 3: Competitor?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Why can't I remember this?
Speaker 4: Smash?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: Dang it.
Speaker 3: Anyway, let's do this.
Speaker 1: You keep texting me the restaurants that you Oh my god, steak and Shake. Oh we've always called steak and shake choke and puke because it too was drunk food, but not as kind to us as what a burger was. Let's take a quick time out so I'll be back with the bunch of restaurants I've never heard of. This is kind of cool. Right after this, The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock, Accident and injury lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell, m.
Speaker 9: God, the nice food prey, thecon keeping you real sad bab welcome welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 1: To the third hour of the show. I have to tamp down a problem that was created because a rod You looked up a different restaurant than the restaurant that they were looking for. Portillo's is an Italian beef sandwich Chicago beef sandwich base like the one we ate at Los Dos Portrios Mexican joint and Texters caught that, whereas I did not. So there is not a Portillo's in the Denver metro, but there may be one opening in Lyttleton next year.
Speaker 3: Sorry, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: I've our seafood restaurants from Seattle. Yes, Oh my god, to be so happy if that was the thing we could do. So happy. And someone else pointed out to me that El Poyo Loco is open in Arvada and up on A seventy and one of the other I don't know, seventy and Peoria. I appreciate the wine Yogi backing me up on the Crystal Burger choch Keys.
Speaker 3: What is it choch Keys? Is that like an actual place?
Speaker 8: I know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess that's a place.
Speaker 4: Now that the Pieces of Flair place? Or is that diverent one?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, but I mean that that was from a movie. Yeah, so yeah, yeah, we'll figure it out anyway. Somebody just sent Bill Miller barbecue. We've got better barbecue now in Denver than we had when I moved here. When I first moved here, I got to tell you guys, I was like, oh God, I've moved to a barbecue wasteland. But since then, several good, good, good barbecue joints have opened up, and I've discovered some that I didn't know. We're here, so barbecue is finally coming along. I'm not a big fan of Texas barbecue though, because it's all like, all about the brisket, and to me, brisket is overcooked and dry. And I know all of you guys with a big green egg or screaming at your radio right now the nandy my brisket.
Speaker 3: I mean, I I can hear you. I can hear you.
Speaker 1: But I am a pork barbecue person. Ribs pulled pork, That's what I want. And I love barbecue chicken too, So I'm just not a barbecue beef person. Ryan Steakhouse, we do not need that here, No, co Dan, we don't need anything else to be help us be as big as a house. Okay, let me move on because I'm getting hungry, and I didn't want to get hungry. We've had another story today on the blog, unfortunately, about another teacher praying on a student. We had this conversation yesterday with Jimmy Segenberger about what's been going on and just how.
Speaker 3: Insane it is the way that schools treat this.
Speaker 1: Now, this was a private school in Montrose, and they seem to have taken swift action, but.
Speaker 3: It's it feels like it's happening more often.
Speaker 1: I'm probably wrong, though, it's just being reported more often than it was before. So I want to get to this story because I find this very very interesting and i'd like, you know what a Well, let's see if we can reach out to this woman. They call her the JA six Granny. Her name is Rebecca Lorenz. She was found guilty last year on four federal misdemeanor charges relating to her role in the US Capitol breach on January sixth. Now, what did she do?
Speaker 3: She's seen on video.
Speaker 1: Walking into the Capitol building with a group of other rally attendees. She spent about ten minutes there. She didn't touch anything, do anything or yell. She just looked and.
Speaker 3: Prayed and then she left.
Speaker 1: And for that, she's been on home confinement with an ankle monitor and been banned from using the Internet. And if Donald Trump does a massive pardon of January sixth defendants, she would likely be in that group. And she has come out to say, I don't want it. I'm not looking for the President to pardon me. And here's why she is in the process of appealing her conviction. Her lawyers made a First Amendment defense, and I think it's a strong one. I think a lot of the people that were convicted had a First Amendment defense. And I'm not talking about people who came in and destroyed things or walked around with electorn over their head. I mean, I'm talking about people who, like this woman, just walked around and then left. And she said if she gets a pardon, it will stop her appeal, and she is moving forward with her appeal because she thinks that protecting future citizens from government overreach when they exercise their rights to be heard needs to be stopped.
Speaker 3: And I admire the heck out of that. The Denver grandma.
Speaker 1: Says, should the Washington d c. Appellate Court agree that she's not liable for the one hundred and three thousand dollars fine levied because she was acting under rights allowed by the US Constitution's First Amendment. Lorenz says the decision would be precedent scenting, but the pardon would.
Speaker 3: Negate the appeal, and therefore she is moving forward.
Speaker 1: And say what you will about you know, people who demonstrate in a way you disagree with, at least they're sticking to their values. It's interesting to me, by the way, you know, she was caught, somebody ratted her out, Somebody called the FEDS and said, yes, she was at the Capitol.
Speaker 3: What kind of person do you have to be?
Speaker 1: What kind of acts do you have to have wanted to grind to bring this woman down to call the Feds? Because by all accounts, and maybe all accounts are lying, but by all accounts, she's a lovely woman. She's active in her church, she believes in American you know, exceptionalism.
Speaker 3: She just seems like a lovely person.
Speaker 1: So what did she do to someone to have them rat her out to the Feds as some kind of threat to democracy? And if she didn't do anything to them, and they're just miserable people who want to make sure that people that they disagree with suffer in the maximum sense.
Speaker 3: What kind of person are you? God, that's so gross, really really gross.
Speaker 1: They couldn't mean Schlatsky's instead of Choschke's. That's that's true. Mandy. You mentioned some time ago at about a great burger place on Colorado Boulevard plast Glendale towards I twenty five.
Speaker 3: What was the name that would be?
Speaker 1: Is it burg? No, wait a minute, hang on, I think it's Crown Burger. Is it Crownburger Erro Do you know Crown Burger Denver? I'm almost positive I'm looking it up right now. Yeah, it's Crown Burger. Looks dodgy as hell straight up. You're like, I don't know about eating here, and I always go inside because the drive the takes forever. The drive through was basically like a string and a cant at Crown Burger. But the food is ridiculously good. But only go in there if you're trying to have a heart attack, because that's exactly what it'll do for you. Buds Bar and scenario. We still have buds Bar. It's not a restaurant, but went to the Bengal game last weekend. We need a Jungle Gyms. Wow, that just took me back. My brother was a restaurant manager at Jungle Gyms during my lost decade. And this is such a dumb story. Oh my gosh, you guys, it's such a dumb story. I'll tell it to you when we get back because it's that dumb.
Speaker 3: But it's so funny. At least it was really funny at the time. We'll see if it's funny now.
Speaker 1: Right after this my lost decade of my twenties, we gone to Happy Hour and this was at Church Street Station in Orlando, like one of the original downtown entertainment complexes in the country. They opened in like nineteen seventy something, so Jungle Gyms was part of that complex at this point. This was in the nineties, and we had been out drinking and one of our friends was one of those friends who you really loved being around until they had their third beer and they were always on their second beer, you know what I mean. And then she was like what I mean, just you know, kind of a loosey goosey Tasmanian Devils sort of situation. So we were like, okay, look, we're gonna go eat, I said. My brother's working at Jungle Gyms. He'll hook us up.
Speaker 3: So we go over to Jungle Gyms and she.
Speaker 1: Orders a burger and we all order burgers because that's what they had, was the burgers that were really good. And she gets her burger roll eating and she's like, this burger tastes like peanut butter. And we're just literally just going shut up and eat. You just need to put some food in your pie hole. Shut up and eat. So she's the whole time, she's complaining, and she's like, it tastes like peanut butter. So my brother walks up and he's like, how is everything. She goes, burger tastes like crap, It tastes like peanut butter. He goes, will you ordered the burger that comes with peanut butter on it? And I was like, see, now, that's why you don't need to be.
Speaker 3: Drunk that often, because we didn't know you were right.
Speaker 1: You were right? Ay Rod? Do you have that friend now, because you're in a little bit of a party phase right this minute. Do you have the Tasmanian devil friend? Or you old enough to not have the Tasmanian devil friend when they drink have.
Speaker 4: Or am no you better not?
Speaker 3: No, you kind of are though, like you are the life of the party when you've had a few inions.
Speaker 4: I'm the well, yeah, no, we've got we've got a couple of friends that fit the bill. I think we take turns, which makes it feel better. Sure, yeah, because then it's like, oh, there's the one.
Speaker 3: Passing around, the pain in the ass.
Speaker 4: Yes, the baton of nonsense, the bon nonsense. Yes, that's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, every group needs one of you.
Speaker 4: And I think the handoff method is good because you don't have the one person that's like, okay, they go.
Speaker 1: In my in my twenties, I had a friend who I've found out much later was not just an alcoholic but also a pill addict.
Speaker 3: Right, so I had no idea.
Speaker 1: So we'd be out and she'd have one drink and then she would be and I'm not exaggerating on the floor, like on the floor after one drink, and I thought she just can't hold her I don't know. Found out later she was also taking like oxycotton with it. So yeah, that was that was super hard.
Speaker 4: There are followers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I walked away during that fall, so you know, but it's there's always that one person in the group. And if you don't know the one person, maybe you just have a great friend group, or maybe you're the person. You know, if you've ever had to apologize the next day for something that you thought may have happened but you're not sure, you're probably the person.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, you said, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we are going to take a time out in the next half hour. I got a lot of stuff that I want to cover. I've been wasting a lot of time today, but I enjoyed myself, so nice.
Speaker 3: Thanks for letting me do that. Looking at the ball.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a picture on the blog today that I laughed out loud yesterday. I snort laughed because it made me laugh so hard. And it was posted by Representative Mike Collins. And it's the truly historic poster. And maybe you've seen this poster before with all of the United States presidents on it, but you've got to click it to open it to see the whole thing. Oh yeah, this Texter said, I thought you were talking about the grocery store Jungle Jim's in Ohio. No, but I do know about that place as well. But click on this and look and see what it says about the last four years. So when we get back, we're going to talk about a few things. Number one, we're going to talk about Costco. My love of Costco is well documented, and people are just now finding out that Costco is run by progressive liberals.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 3: I know this might shock people, but I don't care.
Speaker 1: I don't care what Costco's politics aren't. I don't care. Doesn't make a difference to me because you know, when I walk in those beautiful stores at Costco to giant deals of massive packs of toilet paper and other things, no one asked me for my voter identification, and no one makes me feel unwelcome because I'm not a progressive liberal. So I don't care that Costco is not stopping its DEI programs. No, but I am mad at Costco for something totally unrelated to that. And when you guys here, when we get back, who knocked off Joe Rogan as the world's most listened to podcaster or podcast I should say, I hope that you feel the same way.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 1: No, oh god, that would be awesome. But I understand my limitations, right, I mean, I get it. I get it one hundred percent. Handy. I like this topic. Let's just talk about food, no, because it's making me hungry. The good burger place that made smash burgers were Lark Burger. They left my ear. I think Lark Burger went out of business, but that's not the one I'm thinking of. It was five guys.
Speaker 3: Maybe it was just smash Burger that I'm thinking of.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 3: We know we can't talk about that.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about who knocked Joe Rogan out of the number one podcast spot. And I was super excited about this, not because I have any will towards Joe Rogan, but when you hear who it is, you know we'll see right after this. Keep it on, ka. I've spent so much time on the show in the past few years talking about the cultural rot that we are in in our society and how we as individual humans have to do.
Speaker 3: A better job at making a better world.
Speaker 1: It sounds so cliche, right, I mean, like we're all going to sit around and sing kumbaye yeah, and everything's going to be fine and for a long time. And you know this, if you've listened to the program. I've attributed this to the lack of God in our society, and I believe you can be a good person to be an atheist one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: I don't believe that you have to be a person of faith in order.
Speaker 1: To be a good person. But that being said, we have far too many people in our society who are just flailing through life. They're just they have no direction, they have no purpose, their life has no meaning.
Speaker 3: And I think it manifests.
Speaker 1: Itself in an overly nasty society because we see people doing things and maybe it is the rise of cell phone cameras that make it so. Wherever you are in any situation, when you are at your worst, you're guaranteed that somebody is going to be there to film it. Not to help you, mind you, but film it. But listen to this. This is from Fox News, the number one podcast in the world to start off the new year. Doesn't belong to Joe Rogan, it doesn't belong to Alex Cooper, Mel Robbins, or anyone from the Kelsey clan. It belongs to father Mark Mary Ames of a cent and Press or Really, as he told Fox News Digital, it belongs to God. In a time when Bible sales are seeing a sudden spike amid research that suggests people are unsubscribing for religiosity at large, it comes as somewhat of a surprise that the Rosary in a Year with Father Mark Mary Ames CFR climbed to number one on Apple Podcasts to start off the new year, holding that spot for three consecutive days before falling to a noteworthy number two on January fourth. Now, I've never listened to Rosary in a year. A friend of mine text me this morning and said, I love Rosary in a year. I've already done it once. I'm doing it again. But growing up Catholic, when you're a kid, you never understand why people sit and pray the Rosary. And my late mother in law got a great deal of comfort from praying her Rosary at the end of her life. When we went to Israel, we went to Jerusalem, and in Jerusalem as the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, and in the Church of the Holy Sepulcher is the stone where it is believed that Jesus was removed from the tomb, put on the stone where he was anointed and covered with oil. And wrapped in a shroud before he was entombed, and the anointing stone is there at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, and so we bought. One of the most disappointing parts of going to Jerusalem is the fact that it is a tourist attraction. Right right outside the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, there are people selling millions of different rosaries and crosses in all of this religious paraphernalia. And I went a little further to find a rosary that wasn't really cheap, and we bought her this rosary that was made of olive wood, and then we took it in and we put it on the anointing stone instead of prayer, and then we brought it back and she loved that rosary. I mean loved that rosary, and it gave her such comfort, especially the very end of her life.
Speaker 3: She died holding that rosary.
Speaker 1: And I realized later, much much later, because there were times in Catholic school when you had to say the rosary and it takes forever because each bead is a different prayer and there's a reason that you're doing it. And never bothered to learn any of that, but really what praying the Rosary is is it is a form of meditation where you can concentrate on that relationship with God. And the Rosary in a Year is an explanation of what the rosary is because it can be really, as this priest says, confusing and even intimidating. So it's fascinating to me that this is number one, because this is.
Speaker 3: Like old school.
Speaker 1: You know, there's another podcast that is really outstanding called Bible in a Year. I haven't listened to the whole thing. It's on my list of things to do. Listen to that once today. It's very very good. It's like the best way to dip your toe into learning about the Bible. And these podcasts are being listened to people who may or may not have ever grown up with any kind of faith, any kind of faith foundation.
Speaker 3: Maybe we're on the upswing, you guys. I hate to be cautious.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'd love to be cautiously optimistic, but I have been Charlie Brown, and the world has pulled the football out in front of me far too often for me to think that, oh, yeah, everything's gonna be fine now. But it's nice that people are searching. It's nice that people are looking into that, and I hope that they have continued success about that. Now, I got a couple of things on the blog that I want to direct your attention today. And now that I hang on one second, let me open this Barry Weiss at the Free Press. And I don't know if this is Paywald or not. You guys, it's not for me, but I also subscribe, so if it is, I'm sorry. But she's got a list of the many failures of Justin Trudeau. Justin Trudeau yesterday stepped down as Prime Minister of Canada after starting out his career as prime minister basically the darling of the left leaning world. And I mean that not just in Canada. My friends here in the United States would post things on Facebook about how dreamy Justin Trudeau was. You know, oh my god, why can't we have a leader like him? He's so dreaming and all of his values are aligned perfectly. If you think he just got knocked out because you know, Trump is talking about annex in Canada, you've got to read this column where Barry Weiss really unpeels what happened in Canada.
Speaker 3: With Justin Trudeau and.
Speaker 1: Justin Trudeau did things that are either exactly the same or very close to what democrats want to do in Colorado. Hear me out.
Speaker 3: He absolutely Let me pull this up one second.
Speaker 1: Canada has long welcomed to immigrants, he says, Yet for the first time in twenty five years, the majority of Canadians now say immigration levels are too high. The one point one million new immigrants who came into the country in twenty twenty two alone drove unprecedented competition for jobs. We're seeing some of the highest youth unemployments since twenty twelve in a matter of a year and a half. And when you get to crime, violent crime in Canada skyrocketed under Trudeau. On a per capita basis, homicides rose by more than fifty percent between twenty fourteen and twenty twenty two, and on a per capita basis, there's now more violent crime in Canada than there is in the United States. This is a direct result of Trudeau's policies. He even created a policy to give lighter sentences to people of color who've been convicted of crimes. Does any of this sound familiar? We all remember and I mentioned this yesterday. His stellar work comple completely going full totalitarian on a group of Canadian truckers who took issue with the fact that they rode in their trucks by themselves doing their jobs, and yet they were required to be vaccinated in order to keep trucking. And not only did he call them a few thousand people shouting and waving swastikas, he invoked emergency powers never deployed in Canadian history.
Speaker 3: To steal the money that the truckers had.
Speaker 1: Collected, freezing their credit cards, breaking their access to their banks. In twenty twenty four, Canadian judge ruled that Trudeau's actions were deeply unconstitutional. And then, don't even get me started on censorship. Trudeau's government has cracked down on what news Canadians are allowed to consume.
Speaker 3: Canada's Online News.
Speaker 1: Act was sold as a way to make social media companies pay news organizations when linking to their content, but in reality it wound up preventing The Free Press's own reporter in Ottawa from sharing her own work for the publication she works for on social media. And then we've got assisted suicide. Here's a statistic about this. I'll let you read the rest in the column. In twenty twenty three. In some provinces, nearly five percent of Canadians died with government assistants, meaning the government killed them or allowed them to be killed. And the fetnal epidemic is most pronounced in Canada. In British Columbia, which is the most progressive province in the country. They have run that beautiful, beautiful city of Vancouver into the ground drug overdoses in a city where, by the way, they have safe injection sites, they give out free works for the drug addicts. Small amounts of her drugs are legal in Vancouver. The leading cause of death among ten to eighteen.
Speaker 3: Year olds was drug overdoses. Trio doesn't pay attention.
Speaker 1: He continues to push to expand these failed harm reduction strategies across the country. By the way, British Columbia is now leaning into involuntary care facilities for drug addicts. Huh, I wonder why that is. And then let's not even talk about the anti semitism in Canada. Before you know, I just the whole article is worth reading simply because Canada has already done so many of the things that democrats in this state are trying to do. Democrats nationwide are trying to do and it's biting them in the butt really really, really hard. I also put one of my favorite videos of a politician ever of all time on the blog today because it is about a man named, I don't know how to say his last name, Pierre Paulivier. I think he is right now odds on favorite to be the next prime minister. He is the leader of the Conservative Party and in this he is talking to a reporter while he is also eating an apple, Pierre Paul of Airs, and the reporter does that thing that reporters are prone to do when they say things like some say or reporters say, and Pierre Paul.
Speaker 3: Of Air is having nothing, none of it. He's like, no, who said that? What are you talking about? And the whole time he's just eating an apple.
Speaker 1: It's just a masterclass in not getting bogged down in the nonsense. This is one of the lessons that I would love for Donald Trump to learn. Don't get distracted by the nonsense. You know, if you know you have Donald Trump on the ropes, all you have to do is insult his manhood, insult his crowd sizes, insult his rallies, whatever. And most of the time. He's gonna follow you right down that path. I mean, you know that's big, my big, This guy nothing. He is unflappable. There are no flaps given in this video. Many, what article is this? It is an article from the Free Press. Pah, Mandy, you said Biden then in the buff Wait?
Speaker 3: Oh in the butt? No, bite them in the butt.
Speaker 1: Not Biden. No, I didn't say Biden in the butt. I said bite them. I just enunciated poorly. Texter he Mandy Jordan Peterson's recent interview with Canadian oppositionator Pierre poulaver Is Toliev Polyiev. Gotta figure that out. We'll tell you a lot of the damage Trudeau did. Even the Socialist Party in Canada said he was farther left than them. Well, they're just trying to get the stink off now. Mandy explains why most of the famous performers from Canada live in the US. Yep, yep, yep. The article is linked on the blog Texter, and it is linked with the headline on the blog at Mandy's blog dot com, The many failures of Justin Trudeau. Looking there, look for the highlight of the dark bold bit and you can click on it. Right through to the Free Press. Very very very good article, Mandy. I would highly recommend the Bible Recap with Tara Lee Kobble for a Bible study.
Speaker 3: I'm on my third year. Good to know, Mandy never came back from the blackface scandal?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? The blackface scandal came and went in like three weeks. That was You realize that was like eight or nine years ago, right, that that all happened. He's been caught in blackface like three times. But it's charming when he does it. It's just, you know, grossly racist when everyone else does it but him, you know. Anyway, Mandy, well you and rossby doing another wine and meet and greet. We had so much fun seeing you at Southlands. By the way, Chuck is the coolest guy. Don't tell him that we're working on it. You guys, we're working on it. We just don't have a lot of extra staff to make things like that happen. Ay, Rod can do it all. It's fine, grow perfectly fine thing to see here. Mark Zuckerberg has had what appears to be some kind of come to Jesus moment when it comes to how he feels about free speech. Because he sat down and gave quite the hit chat that I'm going to play right now. Released this video to let you know what is going to be happening at Facebook.
Speaker 3: Now just listen for a second.
Speaker 10: Hey, everyone, I want to talk about something important today, because it's time to get back to our roots around free expression on Facebook and Instagram. I started building social media to give people a voice. I gave a speech at Georgetown five years ago about the importance of protecting free expression and I still believe this today. But a lot has happened over the last several years. There's been widespread debate about potential harms from online content. Governments and legacy media have pushed to censor more and more. A lot of this is clearly political, but there's also a lot of legitimately bad stuff out there. Drugs, terrorism, child exploitation. These are things that we take very seriously, and I want to make sure that we handle responsibly.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to stop him there, because.
Speaker 1: I have no idea if this is genuine or if he's just sucking up to Donald Trump because he didn't like getting pulled through the wringer in the you know, by members of Congress. I don't know, but I'm gonna lean in and just believe him that this is how he thinks things should go on Facebook. But I'll believe it when I see it. Although I don't have any problems on Facebook, because I'm never on Facebook anymore. I would like to say to Zuck that if you really want to make an impact with Facebook, just show me the stuff that my friends are posting.
Speaker 3: Let's start with that.
Speaker 1: My Facebook feed when I do go to Facebook is like, have people you should follow that I don't care about? A quarter ads, and then a quarter of people I actually.
Speaker 4: Know and stuff really old like hey Mary Christmas. Yeah, three weeks later, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 5: Win.
Speaker 3: I mean, I I I just I don't. I'm not going to pretend like I know it.
Speaker 1: Last year I read through the Bible using the Bible Project, and this year I started the Bible Recap.
Speaker 3: Very good, very very good.
Speaker 1: I think I'm gonna I committed to like I already subscribed to Bible in a year. I just haven't done it yet. So I'll get right on that, all right. Uh, we got Rob Dawson ready to play today. Hey, Hey, Rob, what song did you sing at karaoke Uh July.
Speaker 4: Or didn't do it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Forgotten you?
Speaker 4: No the one Milwaukee until Stranger O stranger.
Speaker 1: That I almost said that yesterday, but then I was like, no, that's not it, that's not the one.
Speaker 6: Hey, good guys said that was one of his favorites. You sing with fred uh the Jimmy Buffett.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that's a good one too, That's a good one. And no, I didn't sing you, guys, I didn't. I didn't, says my voices. Not no, my voice will not allow that anymore. Mandy fun fact, Canada's national bird is the loon. That's fantastic, absolutely fantastic. All Right, now it's time for the most exciting segment on the radio of its.
Speaker 2: Kind in the world.
Speaker 1: Of the.
Speaker 3: All right, what is our what is our?
Speaker 4: What is our?
Speaker 1: Dad?
Speaker 3: Joke of the day?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 4: Which celebrity is always ready for cereal?
Speaker 1: Voice? Celebrity is always ready for real?
Speaker 3: I don't know, I'm thinking like a bowl. I don't know who with her spoon? Oh wow, I did not see that coming.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yes, anyway, the.
Speaker 4: Day please verb okay, belieguer.
Speaker 7: Uh tough to understand or or worry or.
Speaker 1: Is it like pushing the point like like being.
Speaker 4: Too beliegue her is to cause a person or business constant or repeated trouble. Belie ye yes.
Speaker 1: Speaking of besieges, what revolutionary artist painted the famous less did? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I want to get another question.
Speaker 4: What was the answer to that one? Whatever it was, was that right? Michael Angelo? U?
Speaker 1: No Picasso? A young male horse is called a cult? What is a young female horse called?
Speaker 7: I know that one?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 4: What's it? Start with an f uh? No clue?
Speaker 1: It's a It's a Philly and I know that because the Oaks Day is the Phillies Day at the.
Speaker 6: Races at the Kentucky get excited if Philly wins and the Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Can you make a cheese steak out of a Philly?
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess you could.
Speaker 7: Didn't the Philly? Can it Philly run in the Kentucky Derby?
Speaker 1: And I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I thought it was three year old? No, I think there were three year olds.
Speaker 7: I thought it was like on a Casarean stam of the horses or something.
Speaker 1: With the I don't know. We'll find out, though, I'll let you know tomorrow. What is our Jeopardy category button?
Speaker 4: It button it, Rob, you have an advantage. He is on zoom.
Speaker 7: That's not gonna work.
Speaker 4: Here we go. Yours may be in any or an audi maybe what's a belly button? That was yours?
Speaker 3: That was it?
Speaker 1: That was the easy one.
Speaker 7: I couldn't even think of what the.
Speaker 4: Category was in gold button it, button it, So that was belly button in Goldfinger. James Bond had one of these seats in his car.
Speaker 3: What is an eject button?
Speaker 4: I'm do I give it to you now because I don't know? Because now I'm not because we're gonna, we're gonna, we're gonna, we're not gonna make it as negative. But it was ejection seat. You said ejection a button.
Speaker 1: But true.
Speaker 4: So we're not going to give you the point or we're not going to give you anox injection.
Speaker 1: See, here you go.
Speaker 4: President Ford introduced a new economic program in October nineteen seventy four, with WIN buttons standing for whip this now.
Speaker 3: What Mandy, what is inflation?
Speaker 4: Okay? I know this animated on this animated TV show. George and Jane got button finger from pushing too many futuristic devices, Mandy, what is the jets? And finally, a type of shirt that is that symbolizes conformity, as in an eighteen.
Speaker 1: What's a button down?
Speaker 4: That's button down?
Speaker 1: What button out? Collar?
Speaker 4: No, it doesn't matter, button down shirt, he said, what kind of shirt?
Speaker 3: I thought that would be a redundant.
Speaker 1: Phillies have one. Thank you for the texters. Phillies can run in the derby.
Speaker 7: All right, there we go.
Speaker 1: I got that. That was good. You got one going for you right there. All right, guys, we'll be back tomorrow. We got weather Wednesday. We're going to find out when our next little burst of snow is coming spoiler alert Thursday.
Speaker 3: And uh, I don't know what else. You're just gonna have to turn. Just just show on up and and see what happened.
Speaker 1: And there's been a lot of NFL coach firings, and I got a good good news for you. KOA Sports coming up next to talk about all of that stuff. In the meantime, keep it right here on KOA