Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome back to another episode of CP one oh one Learned by Listening, presented by KCPR ninety one point three.
Speaker 2: You might be wondering who are we and why should you be listening to us? Well, I'm Lana.
Speaker 1: And I'm set Lana, and today's episode is about how to romanticize your life.
Speaker 2: And specifically how to romantize your life from the perspective of two freshmen in college.
Speaker 1: And just a reminder, we are not here to propose we know more than you or are crazy experts about anything. We just are still figuring this out ourselves. And yeah, I think we have a few tips to share with you.
Speaker 2: Stop living by society's rules and society's expectations, like don't be a robot, just be yourself. Literally, the definition to romanticize is to make something seem better, more appealing than the way it is. Alter your life, your habits, and even your routines to make it more like exciting for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just to clarify again, the romanticizing is about your relationship with yourself, the things that we're going to talk about right in this episode.
Speaker 2: It's not really being in love with yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And in love with the things you do and the habits you create for yourself. It's about how you live your daily life and the gratitude you practice and yeah, just again, how you make things more special for yourself. So today we're going to be sharing ten little simple things you can do to make your life more enjoyable, feel a little bit more romanticized.
Speaker 2: And just being present in the moment.
Speaker 1: One of the biggest things to keep in mind when we're kind of giving you all these tips is that in any case, I think you can always slow down and focus on all five of your senses to put yourself in the moment, because matter where you are, what you're doing, it's really really easy, like especially in this day and age with how fast we consume everything and go through everything to just passively act. But if you're able to, like, like, for example, if you're listening to music and you really listen to this song and you're like, damn, like this song's about me, I don't know, just kind of like associate yourself with with all of your surroundings, really allow yourself to savor your environment, and that in and of itself is a way to like easily romanticize whatever situation you're in and make it more.
Speaker 3: Enjoyable for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, Yes, give yourself the privilege of being in the moment. And yeah, without further ado, we're gonna share ten simple steps that you guys can all do you to romanticize your life.
Speaker 2: All right, So number one, we have make things less simple and make them more special. Because going back to the definition of to romanticize, it also says deal with or describe in an idealized or unrealistic fashion. So hikey be delusional, hikey be delusional. Yes, So, like back to the example of the song. Personally, like, sometimes I'll listen to songs and imagine them as like a scene in my head or like enjoy the song as if it was like background music to like a movie I'm in and I'm like the main character. I have a little story. When I was younger, I used to imagine that the music I was listening to was coming from the sky, like from the atmosphere, and it kind of give off that main character like vibes that which you kind of need to romanticize your life. And I mean, yes, that is a little bit delusional, but it's your world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean like at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Like a lot of these steps are about like like your your process of thinking, and that is entirely yours, right, And.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like treating your inner child and remembering what it is to have fun just in your own little head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like allowing yourself to feel like special in the way of like romanticizing through like all your daily little actions is like super important to nurturing your innertrial, right.
Speaker 2: Just changing your perspective again like high key, low key delusional, like in your routines, Like when you're cooking, pretend like you're on like a star Chef like episode to you got.
Speaker 3: To shape that food.
Speaker 1: Second tip is to slow down, and like one of the easiest ways is to give yourself an extra like fifteen to thirty minutes in the morning. And I know for college students that really is a lot to ask.
Speaker 2: No, especially me, like after staying up super late the night before, it's really tough. But just from my personal like perspective, I've been really trying to implement like romanticizing everything these past two weeks and doing that just literally like five or ten minutes just meditating there in my bed, like sitting in silence, not on my phone, maybe reading a book I'm supposed to catch up on, like resets my mind for the day. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think slow mornings change people and allow you to start your day off on the right foot because it's so I mean, there's like being able to start the day in like a positive light and like in a not I don't know, like rushed manner is super duper important. And like to further romanticize that, like if you have an extra fifteen to thirty minutes and you're like, I feel like macha super popular right now. So if you're like a Macha drinker, you make yourself like a little macha, go get one or go get a coffee, and then while you're drinking that you can do a little journaling just whatever makes you feel like more in tune with yourself and just a little bit more special.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually had two machas today. I really treated myself. Okay, number three this I'm very big on. Make a playlist.
Speaker 1: Yes, so when we say make a playlist, like in order to romanticize your life, you're not making a passive little playlist that has some songs that you're just gonna keep skipping until you find them that you like. Like, this playlist is solidly set with songs that you love that make you feel so good that you enjoy to their core, that make.
Speaker 2: You feel like the music is coming out of the sky exactly.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, Lona, So what are some artists that are on your romanticized playlist?
Speaker 2: Let's see. I have cigarettes after Sex, TV Girl, Billie Eilish, some Frank Ocean beach House, lots of instrumental music for me, So what about you?
Speaker 1: I feel like for me, I'm kind of like getting into this like Summer twenty sixteen, core like throwbacks like Gez DJ, Snake, Pillow Talks, Zain all the old Justin Bieber.
Speaker 3: I love this.
Speaker 2: And did we talk about like setting a cover photo.
Speaker 1: There's like a feature where you can change the cover photo and like add a little description and stuff.
Speaker 2: I definitely do this, like once a month, I'll just cleanse it all and I'll add new photos and whatever, like aesthetic or vibe I'm feeling right now, like what my Pinch's board looks like.
Speaker 1: Also, I feel like a little bit underrated, a little bit Niche might not be for everybody, but for me sometimes just like walking around. I'll put some classical music on and then I feel like I'm in like a ballet, like I'm in Swan Lake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that kind of hints at the delusional aspect.
Speaker 1: It gotta be a little bit delusional. The best people are always a little bit delusional.
Speaker 3: You just gotta give in.
Speaker 1: Gotta give in to that little little child in you who who think she's in Swan Lake?
Speaker 2: Ye?
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Next on our list we have is do a skincare routine.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, like, I know this is like a little bit of a cliche one. Obviously, personal hygiene is important, but like finding a routine that you can stick to and that like is special to you is like super therapeutic. That is just time you have dedicated to like yourself. Even beyond just like skincare, there's like hair care, body care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, practice self care and self love yeah period. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Step five explore nature more.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think a lot of people take nature for granted, Like especially me coming from a big city like Chicago and then moving to California, Like, I really notice the difference between being stuck in like such an industrial city versus being around nature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like exploring nature more and just exploring what's outside of your home more in a romanticized light is super beneficial. There's a notion that like, in order to like I don't know, feel more connected to nature or more connected to what's outside, you need to like go on some big trip or go somewhere far from where you're from. But that's not necessarily true. I feel like people overlook like what's around them all the time. Literally just by taking a walk through the neighborhood or going on a run, if that's what you like to do. Just exploring what's around you while you have your little playlists going. By the way, music is super important. I feel like we always come back to it, like having that playlist going.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's really.
Speaker 2: Like the backbone of like our emotions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, literally, just like making the area or the city around you feel like, just connecting yourself more with it by exploring it is another way to romanticize your life. Yeah, And I feel like if you're the type of person who gets bored with like like typical things that you do, or like if you have like a routine that you're kind of bored of, you could try like new routes, Like if you're driving to work or to school, or walking, like you try a new roo. Maybe it's a little further, but that just means you need to get up a little earlier.
Speaker 3: But yeah, try something new.
Speaker 1: If you go to a certain grocery store day in and day out, like you could try a new grocery store. Or if you walk your dog, like to a certain park, walk them to another park. All these different things that like will allow you to like explore.
Speaker 2: Number six, we have invest in your space. So for me, how I do this is I like to keep my space very clean and organized, and once in a while, like I'll just completely rearrange it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like investing in your space is something that you don't need a lot of money to do, Like if you're looking for decorations that you resonate with. First of all, I don't really believe in like fast fashion purchases steer away from like the trending while art on TikTok as tempting as those things are because they're cheap and easy to come by. Like go go to your local thrift store and look at the massive art and wall the core sections that they always have. Like I've never been to a thrift store that doesn't have a crazy weird art section that you can look at, but find like pieces or things that you are gonna like like and enjoy looking at day in and day out.
Speaker 2: Another thing is if you ever are like sick of your space, like it's okay to change your environment.
Speaker 1: You can keep the same things and just organize them in a new way so that when you go into the same space that feels like a new space.
Speaker 2: That kind of seeps into our next step, which is unlocking the right side of your brain, which is the side that controls creativity and your artistic side.
Speaker 1: So what we mean by unlocking this side of your brain is pursuing the things that you do or like certain activities that aren't necessarily like work in school focus, Like if you have new hobbies that you want to try, like exercise, different kinds of exercise, yoga, pilates, cycling, walking, hiking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you don't have to be an expert at it, Like you could have no idea what you're doing, but just doing it, it's gonna make you feel like proud of yourself that you're even trying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you, like you just said, you don't have to be good at the things you do, but if you like doing them, then there's no reason you shouldn't be doing them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's huge. Like I'm not that great at painting, but I still like to paint and hang up my art on my wall. And like another thing is just like practicing like your hobbies. Like for me personally, that i'd be playing guitar, like I'll work so hard in a song and then being able to play it like to the people around me and like my friends and family like brings us closer together. And it also makes me feel good that I put so much work into this and I'm able to like wrighten other people's day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I feel like being able to like practice hobbies like like guitar and like art and find hobbies in the gym or different kind of exercise that you enjoy, like really is one of the things that builds on your relationship with yourself and allows you to feel more confident because like, you have these things that feel personal to you, your identity because they are that aren't things that you just like are passively doing.
Speaker 3: They're things that you like, know, you like and enjoy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, Like I don't get fomo anymore. Like when all my friends are going out and I just want to stay in because I know I could stay in and I could work on this skill that, like, I'm really passionate about.
Speaker 1: The next step, step number eight is to think and look at yourself in the third person.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think this is a good tactic to refresh your perspective and to kind of see yourself like as if you are the main character in a movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: And I think with this like kind of detached view, it's easier to not see yourself in such a negative light because at the end of the day, there's always going to be like the saying you are your worst critic, and it's true, like no one is judging you as much as you are.
Speaker 3: You're judging yourself.
Speaker 1: You know, no one is criticizing your your hobbies and actions as much as you probably are yourself. The way you look, the things you say, like all those things like you're at the end of the day, your worst critic. And taking your like a step back and looking at yourself through the third person gives you a mindful view that allows you to like appreciate who you are and what you have around you way more than you you probably normally do it because you're just you know, like living in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you kind of become more aware of yourself, like as a human being and just as a person in the world, and it kind of makes you more self aware and more willing to take care of your body and your soul. And this kind of goes back into like the five senses, like really being aware of those things around you and seeing how like they're affecting you.
Speaker 1: Looking at yourself objectively gives you, like the ability to foster more self love and foster a better self image through just being able to like appreciate all of your unique qualities and appreciate the situation you're in.
Speaker 2: It definitely allows you to like take a step back and slow down, as you say, and moving on to number nine, act how your child's self would act. So don't be afraid of what other people are gonna think of you. Like little kids, they just do what they want because it it's genuinely interesting and fun for them. Like, don't be your own strict parent, like allow yourself to have fun and allow that inner child to guide you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this kind of ties in with like so many of the topics that we've touched on acting how your child self would act like in this state where you're obviously not a child kind of just reminds you that at the end of the day, like doing things that you enjoy and that you love without any pressure or any fear of judgment is super important to developing like a sense of self that you feel proud of and that you're happy to be.
Speaker 2: Definitely like, don't be afraid to like join in on activities like you've never done before. Don't be so strict and stern like rule abiding in your life that you forget that there's magic and romanticization like everywhere.
Speaker 1: I think one of the biggest things with this is like surrounding yourself with people who allow you to act this way, because I feel like since I've been to college, I've definitely met people who I've been like, Okay, I don't really want to be super close to you because I don't think you're gonna think my child's self and the things I find are funny are funny and all of those kinds of things. But I have met other people who I feel completely like safe around and who I know that I can just like let this version of myself exist around and and that'll be okay with it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, So moving on to number ten.
Speaker 1: A bit of a bit of a philosophical way to romanticize your life, okay, Lana. Number ten, imagine your eighty year old self teleported into your nineteen year old body for one day.
Speaker 3: What would you do? Wow?
Speaker 2: I could do so many things, Like I could just really live life like to the fullest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, like what would your thought process be?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: What would you think?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I would just think myself that I have the ability to like walk and run, and like I have my health, like my full perfect health. I don't know what I like, go skydiving or something.
Speaker 1: I think I would definitely take immediate like initiative and all of the things I want to do, take advantage of all of the opportunities I have around me, specifically like in regards to my career and passions I have. And another thing I would do is like not take for granted like the health the current state of health I'm in because I know, like as you aged, those things go away and whether you like it or not, you're not going to be able to like run as well.
Speaker 3: I mean, there are like certain exceptions.
Speaker 1: There's like really old people who run marathons, Like obviously those are like superhumans. But like I know, in general, like as you age, you're you're not able to exercise as much as you want, and you're not able to do basic things that you're able to do when you're like nineteen. So yeah, I would definitely just take advantage of all my bodies capable of and all of the people around me, for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. I think I would just celebrate like the little wins in life, you know, and just how kind of be more vigilant of all like the small things that kind of like make up for the big things and just live life in like its fullest capacity and to stop taking like all of these things for granted that like we're at such a good school and we have our health and we have family and kind of again live life to its very fullest.
Speaker 1: I think our main point is to not live life so passively and not let things that feel really.
Speaker 3: Mundane be mundane.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I think that's all we've got on our ten tips of how to romanticize your life.
Speaker 1: Thank you so so much for listening to today's episode. How do romanticize your life? You can find us on Spotify, Apple Music for anywhere you listen to your podcast.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for the next episode, and have a lovely day and we'll talk to you all later. Peace Out, girl, Scout High