Speaker 1: From Blanchard Family Wines. He is James Blanchard. Because it's about time again for a little stroll through the dairy block in the coolest alley in Denver.
Speaker 2: Thank you many it is. Have you seen the weather outside? It is almost opening day, it's festival season, it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: We're gonna turn on us this weekend for a little bit, but it'll be back. Dave Fraser said it was. It will probably be really nice on opening day, like mid sixties, which for me, that's glorious, right, And I always tell people if you're coming down for that, just kind of caddy corner from McGregor Square is the dairy block and within the dairy block there is an alleyway. And it sounds so stupid to say it's the coolest alleyway in Denver and you should go visit it, but it's the coolest alleyway in Denver, and you should go visit it. What else is in there besides you guys.
Speaker 2: We've got breweries, wineries and distilleries, so Deviation Distillian.
Speaker 3: Westbound and down. They've got a tap room down.
Speaker 2: There, the milk market, a pocolola, seven Grand Loto bakery.
Speaker 3: They're doing a remodel right now.
Speaker 2: I gonna have a little cofee shopping there as well, little spot right there.
Speaker 1: It is so cool and on opening day there's always good traffic and stuff like that. But we're not here to talk about opening day. We're here to talk about the next Colorado Wine Walk. Let's talk about that. What are you guys doing now?
Speaker 2: We'll call it opening day for wine first festivals of the season. April thirteenth, Colorado Winewalk. We're doing our seventh wine walk down there in the Dairy Block alleyway.
Speaker 1: No, how did this? Obviously you're a winery and we've talked to you before about how you and your brother sort of joined forces after you both became interested in wine separately after military careers to create Blanchard Family Wines. How is your we've talked about you guys started in California. Now you are really focusing like a laser on those Colorado wines that are being made here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When we came here, we were at California Winery and that's what we drink, that's what we sold, that's what we made. But once we learned about the Colorado wine industry and opened our eyes to what's going on here in the state. That was really became our new mission and that part of the purpose of the Colorado Wine Walk is to really promote the top end the best winery is the best wines that the state has to offer and showcase them off to the front range.
Speaker 1: Now, how many wineries are going to be at the Wine Walk on April thirteenth.
Speaker 3: We have twelve wineries.
Speaker 2: We keep it small one because the dairy Block Alleyway is a confined space, is an intimate fun environment where we get to really engage with the guests. We also want to keep it at the top level of Colorado wineries. We want wineries of the year, Wines of the year, those wineries that are really pushing the frontier quality in our state.
Speaker 1: And there are some incredible wines in the wine Yogi comes on and we talk about a lot of these wines. Can people come down and actually buy wines in addition to doing the Wine.
Speaker 2: Walk, Yes, that's a big factor of this is a purchasing event. So come down, get your ticket, drink all the wines, talk to the winemakers. But the best way to support your small, family owned wineries in the state and the entire local industry is to buy those products.
Speaker 1: And some of these products don't have distribution on the front range. That is always a problem because Crystal travels all over the state and brings them back and sometimes you can't even buy them on the front range. Do you have some of those purveyors coming?
Speaker 2: We do, certainly we have some of the big guys as well that the carboys and col terraces that do distribute that you can find in your local liquor stores and grocery stores. But a lot of these wineries, the New Dubois, asp and Pete, those type of things, they're small. Again, they're all family owned and they don't distribute, and you got to get to get to their taste room out in Palisade, cedar Ridge, Montrose, you know, out off the beaten path, or come to the wine Walk.
Speaker 1: And I know that most of them have wine clubs. Now you guys have a wine club, don't you?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Well, what is that? Tell me what the wine club is and how those work.
Speaker 2: Wine clubs are great because if you find a producer you really love and you want to keep trying the like, keep drinking their products. But again, you can't travel there as frequently they're not in the grocery stores. Joining the club is a great way to get those wines at discounted prices. Different clubs could be monthly, quarterly, semi annually, just kind of depends on how their structured ours is quarterly, so you can always find a level that works for you and get those wines delivered orship to you or pick them up at your local wineries.
Speaker 1: Do people have the time to stand and talk to the winemakers or the wine makers, the actual ones pouring.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that's important to us a lot of the big festivals. It's great to go to a festival with four or five six thousand people at it, but when you got one hundred people in line, yeah, you don't really get to talk fust So we've looked at our numbers and we try to keep the guest to winery ratio at a pretty reasonable number, about thirty five to one or so, so you can get in those lines, you're not waiting thirty minutes to try the wines, and you get to talk to the winemakers, the owners and those kinds of things.
Speaker 1: So the tickets are fifty bucks, and I only say that because the VIP tickets I looked at were sold out from where gone is of today yees. Yeah, so and we try to get James in early enough that there are still tickets left. But this will sell out. They sell out every.
Speaker 3: Time it will.
Speaker 2: It's been fantastic, you know, those first few years we put on the festival. We're always nervous if people are going to like our product. But we have a waiting list of wineries to get in. We have a waiting list of people to get in. Our seminar, our wine and chocolate pairing Seminar in the Middle is already sold out, and our VIP tickets for a morning and afternoon are sold out.
Speaker 1: I was doing the chocolate pairing because I love that the.
Speaker 2: Chocolate therapist in little to providing the chocolate. Say, Juliet's fantastic, we love They're working with her for years. But I will be the one actually leading the seminar.
Speaker 1: Oh very nice, because I've done her wine tasting that she does in the shop there at the Chocolate Therapist. She's the best advocate for chocolate that I've ever met my entire life, and just dynamite woman to boot. So what do you get with that fifty dollars ticket because that's all that's left.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is all the general mission tickets. We have two sessions. One will be at eleven am to two pm and then a second session from three to six. We split it up that way give our wineries a break as well. Is that way we can get more people in. You'll get your glass, get to wander around the alleyway, try all the different wines from the twelve wineries.
Speaker 3: They'll be live music throughout the day.
Speaker 2: We'll have Shirt Kitchen doing some amazing catering as well, so I have a lot of great food options and then of course you're purchasing options as well.
Speaker 1: So there's no dinner this year. Someone of the text line asks no dinner It was that just too much.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad they're asking, which means they remembered from last year. Yes, every year it is a little bit different and we have to look at the bandwidth of myself and my staff additionally, and what we can pull off.
Speaker 3: And the wine dinner is fantastic. We love doing it. Last couple of years, it's a lot of work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we chose this year to go no dinner, but use the wine and chocolate seminar.
Speaker 1: Instead, and I trust me. First of all, you want you want the chocolate therapist chocolate, and that's the chocolate that I drive from my home all the way across to Littleton just to buy Julie's chocolate because it's my favorite. I want to ask about the wines you brought in, because you brought two of Blanchard family wines in for the spring. So you said this is like the kickoff for the wine season as well. Explain that a little bit.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: I think we're one of the first wine festivals of the season. As we get into you know, May, June, July, August, that's one of most of the festivals are. We run our festival in April and September. We want to kind of bracket the main festival season. You know, we love doing those festivals in July when it's one hundred degrees out and you're in the middle of the field somewhere and you're you're drinking red wine and it's so hot. But for us, you know, the April and September a great dates for us. You can bracket that hot weather. And so this being the first one of the season, we've got some sweet rose We've got our Reasling's Chardonay's, will be a lot of those brighter fresh roses and whites to kind of kick off the.
Speaker 1: Season because rose is the wine of summer.
Speaker 3: Well, it's rose all day, any day, all the time.
Speaker 1: You've been reading T shirts at Target, haven't you, Jane?
Speaker 2: As the weather's it's the season for it.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know one thing I would say, and somebody just texted in love the Dairy Block. We've stayed at the Maven there. It's awesome. This is one of those little kind of self contained places in Denver, and I love telling people to go down there after before a baseball game because it's so close. But you're still, you know, in an area that you don't necessarily have to deal with urban outdoorsmen or other such inconveniences.
Speaker 2: I agree, and I we're well aware that there's a lot of you know, bad publicity, a bad feeling about downtown as the sixteenth Street mall is reopening and we'll see what that does for Loto. But as you mentioned, it's an alleyway and that sounds negative, but it's not fantastic. And the great thing about the Dairy Block is once you're inside the four walls of that environment.
Speaker 3: There, it feels like you're in another world.
Speaker 2: It feels like you're transported to some European city where all the businesses open the alleyway, there's music, there's art. We have twenty four hour security out there. It's very safe. We have parking garage on site, so you never even have to leave the dairy block from parking through your experience all the way out.
Speaker 3: It's a great say.
Speaker 1: You have so many different options within the dairy block where you can eat. You can get a little bite, you could have a real meal. You could just have a glass of wine and some popcorn because James has popcorn that pairs very well with the wines at Blantert Family Wines. Is one of the things that I love about it. James, what has changed for Blanchard Family Wines in terms of your vision since you started this? And I want to ask you this as a businessman, right, I want to ask you, like, what you thought this was going to be, what it has turned out to be, and what you want it to be now? Has that changed?
Speaker 3: That's a good question. I haven't been asked that one, I think.
Speaker 2: Ever, we're still we still make California wine out in the Heelsburg, California. It's no mom My brother Mark still Bruns at operation, so that still is in our mind of California and the quality that comes along with that. But our Colorado focus and exposing the Front Range, particularly to the wines of Colorado is really important to us. So not only through the Colorado Wine Walk, which we do both in the Dairy Block we did in Fort Collins last year until we close out location hopefully take it to Grand Junction next year as well, but we're also doing a Colorado Wine Walk at home and a Colorado Wine Walk on tour. We're going to start doing tours out to the Western Slope.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic.
Speaker 2: So many people that come down to the Dairy Block, whether it be for the festival or just come down to our taste room and say, oh, I know you have a wine country, but I've never been there. It's too far away. I don't know where to go. I don't know how to make that trip. Well, we're going to create a little tour company to help take people out to the Western Slope and show them the best wineries and do wine dinners and tastings and all these activities, So we're really expanding that aspect of the business of exposing Colorado to Colorado wine through experience.
Speaker 1: Wine tourism is huge. It is massive in California. I would venture a guess that without the wine tourism that has been developed over the many years in California, a lot of small wineries there would never make it. They would never make it if there weren't bus loads of bridesmaids coming and doing wine tastings and buying a case whatever they just tasted. I think it's incredibly undervalued in Colorado. And as someone who loves to travel, and I do when I go place other places, I do these kind of tours. Right I'm getting on somebody else's bus. I've talked to friends about this very thing, about the opportunity that exists there to tap into a culture that's already established, but just bring that culture to Colorado. And I think it would be huge for Palisades and the Western Slope and areas that could use more, you know, economic development. And this is a great idea. So when do you think you're going to launch that.
Speaker 2: We're hoping to do our first one near the end of May. So I'll let you know so you can get you get you on the bus tour and gets you out to Palisa with you.
Speaker 1: Generally speaking, I don't do bus tours anymore because you know, people know me and I'm just kidding. I'm totally kidding. No, I think that's fantastic. Good for you. So, James Blanchard is my guest from Blanchard Family Wine. So the Colorado Winewalk is coming up on April thirteenth. Two sessions, one at eleven am, one at two pm, and then we also have the three pm to six pm, so they're about three hours.
Speaker 2: Correct, eleven o'clock and three o'clock the two start times. Tickets are at coloradowinewalk dot com.
Speaker 1: Okay, Colorado Wine, one more question for you, and I asked you this. You're talking about expanding into doing things that are almost non they're wine adjacent, but not wine directly related. What other opportunities do you see in Colorado that you're not tapping into because you're focused on your mission when it comes to being wine adjacent.
Speaker 2: This is something that probably isn't well, this isn't public yet, so I don't know what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: What we can't talk about.
Speaker 2: But the centennial celebration is coming up for here in Colorado and the state is really helping to push the agricultural industry in our states. So we are creating a wine. The Colorado Association of Avitic Culture and Analogy is creating a wine to represent the state for the centennial celebration and then to move on forward. So we've been spending a lot of time as an organization determining the varietals, the blends, how we want to judge this. But we're going to create again a wine that's going to represent the state both for the centennial celebration as into the future. So there's a lot of fun things the way we can kind of promote our industry.
Speaker 1: He just gave me a vision of a bunch of wine nerds, like sitting around with wine glasses in their hands, yelling at each other about varietals. I don't know why. I mean, I'm sure it's more more civilized than that.
Speaker 3: It's not. It's taking us almost a year just come up with a name of the product.
Speaker 1: Well, let me throw one more out at you. I mean, we've got that going for us, but it just my last question just went right out of my head. But that's okay, James, when you got into this, and I'm asking this because I'm trying to pick the brains of people who are in interesting businesses, right, and you're in an interesting business. So when you look at the landscape now and you see a lot of people, and we were kind of talking about this off the air, we have a lot of people who are kind of doing these little strip mall wineries where they're buying grapes and they're making wine. Some of it's very very bad, some of it's good. You know, how do you feel about that part? Are we going to reach peak wine making like we reached peak craft brewing? Because I do believe we have passed peak craft brewing in Colorado.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I think not only in brewing, but in distilling and wine making as well. Across the board, for better or worse, alcohol sales are down.
Speaker 3: Across this country.
Speaker 1: I blame the youth.
Speaker 3: Well it is why I'm not blaming the youth, but it is the youth.
Speaker 2: They are more health conscious, they are more focused on sober activities, and they're drinking less. So from our perspective, you counter that by creating better.
Speaker 3: Products and better experiences.
Speaker 2: If you are going to drink less, less frequently, less volume, then you should be drinking better quality and having better experiences when you are drinking.
Speaker 3: So as opposed to going binge drinking at the bar.
Speaker 2: On a Saturday night, come to a wine education class or a wine and food pairing in class, or again beer education, spirit education, learn more about your products, educate yourself on what you're drinking, and again, more better experiences and better quality as opposed to more volume.
Speaker 1: Well, I do think that there's a positive there.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's like, okay, are you going to go out and do your shots of school vodka or are you going to go out and have a lovely cocktail, Which just backs up what I've been saying since I was in my twenties. Life's too short for cheap alcohol, right. It really is having a really nice cocktail with your dinner. It can be a great experience. Having a great class of wine with your dinner can be a great experience. And I hope the young people understand that it's not drinking to get black out drunk. It's to enhance whatever other experience you're having as well.
Speaker 3: Agree, but I would twist that a little bit.
Speaker 2: As opposed to saying life too short for drinking cheap alcohol, just say bad alcohol. Okay, we're all aware of the economy today. We can't always drink expensive alcohol, but you can have good product that doesn't have to break the bank.
Speaker 3: So it is life's too short for bad alcohol.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you a little story, a little bit about myself and my husband. When we got married, we were doing it on the cheap. We were just like, we're gonna spend as little money as possible. And I walked into a mass wine store, just a giant wine store, and a man walked up to me and he said, can I help you find wine from any particular region. I said, I would like to have wine from the five to ten dollar region, and I'm going to have to buy a lot of it for my wedding, so I need a red and a white. Hook me up. He did a wine tasting for us of bottles that started from three ninety nine. The most expensive one was eight ninety nine, so that was a high dollar and we actually found two inexpensive wines that our wine snop friends were like, great wine. Of course, we didn't show them the bottle, right, we just burn the wine. So to your point, they definitely have.
Speaker 2: Some options, a lot of great wines at different price points. I think the key is to find out what those ingredients are that we don't want added colors and flavors and all these chemicals that some of the mass produced wineries add. You know, stay local, stay small, stay craft. Are you guys organic? Somebody just asked on the text lines.
Speaker 3: Great question.
Speaker 2: All the vineyards and Sonoma and most of all the vineyards in Colorado are grown organically, so they are farmed organic once you hit the winery. It's really hard to stay organic without adding soul fights or any preservative. So we as a production company are not organic, but as a grower of co brins we purchase are organic.
Speaker 1: It's also do you know if the if the growing operations are certified organic, because that process is a freaking nightmare.
Speaker 2: It is, and some of them are, particularly in California. For all the vineyards out there, it's about ninety nine percent certified organic and Sonoma right now, and Colorado is well on its way.
Speaker 1: It takes years to get like a certification that you are in organic form. It's it's a very very long process. James do you want to stick around and play our dumb game of the day.
Speaker 3: I always lose this game, but let's do it.
Speaker 1: That's okay because I expect everyone to lose except me, and even then I still lose. On occasion. Grant has become a rod because a rod turned into a pumpkin. So Grant, what wait a minute, we try this, and now it's time for my most exciting segment all the radio of it's kind? Is it Grant in the world of that day?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: What is our dad joke of the day?
Speaker 4: Dad joke of the day. If you don't like it, play a rod? I asked my wife if I'm the only one she has ever been with. She said yes, all the others were nines and tens.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's funny. I heard that one before. All right, what is our word of today, please, Grant. Word of the day today?
Speaker 3: It is escape.
Speaker 1: It's a noun escape, I n scape n sc a. So if escape is to break out of something, I'm gonna say escape is to break into.
Speaker 4: Something good guess, but not quite. But it does involve the inner of something. Okay, James, you want to take a shot.
Speaker 3: I like your gate, your guests, but to.
Speaker 2: How about to to fall inside your own mind? Oh?
Speaker 4: Oh, to go in the deep things philosophical here, No, it is the unique essence or inner nature of a thing.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, the escape of.
Speaker 3: Your mind you can escape to.
Speaker 1: You were closer technically, all right. Who is the Lay's brand of potato chips named for? I mean it's got to be whoever like Larry Larry Lay's Bob laise I have no idea. Well, yeah, company founder Herman W. La snack empire by selling chips out of the back of his car in the early nineteen thirty Get Herman exactly. I mean, I remember himself and his brother Harold. Yeah, hey, everybody, I got chips in the back of my copy. So it all got started right there. How do you feel about the Laze potato chips? What's your potato chip of choice?
Speaker 3: Middle chip of choice? Pringles?
Speaker 1: I like a kettle cooked. I like the kettle chips from Costco Big Bag. They are so good.
Speaker 4: We'll buy a you know, since you guys are talking wine, you'll buy a really nice bottle of wine and we'll pair it with Lay's original potato chips.
Speaker 1: You know what, perfectly all right? What's our Jeopardy category.
Speaker 4: Please, well, speaking of building empires, the company's animal mascot, I will describe the mascot. You tell me which company good or you know something related to that?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Introduced in nineteen sixty one, Charlie was this type of fish?
Speaker 1: What is chicken of the sea?
Speaker 3: And correct? Let me finish the question.
Speaker 4: Shoot fish, who bizarrely wanted to end up as product for.
Speaker 1: Starkist sang it? What is tune of James? Yes, you got the Yeah, James, say your name? And then what is he? Just jump?
Speaker 3: So that's good, it's your first time.
Speaker 1: We get to the point that next one.
Speaker 4: Wearing flip flops and sunglasses, This drum pounding mascot began going and going and going in nineteen eighty.
Speaker 1: Nine, Manny, what is Chester Cheeto?
Speaker 3: Incorrect? Dang it.
Speaker 4: Anything?
Speaker 1: James, Oh many, You're so stupid. You are so stupid. I can't even believe I just did that. No, I know what it is. It's the energizer bunny.
Speaker 3: Correct but incorrect. You still wrong.
Speaker 4: At nineteen ninety seven New York Times headline about a mascot change, read, Joe, this a giant and tobacco marketing man.
Speaker 1: What is the jolly green giant in correct?
Speaker 3: Joe, This a giant.
Speaker 4: Tobacco marketing is dead at age twenty Thames, what is Joe the cammell?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 1: James. That's two for James, and I'm minus three. I'm birthlazing a trail and James, the sad part is I'm not even letting you win. I'm just bad at this today.
Speaker 4: Next to one last name of the tennis player, Oh, scene here, can't do that. The crocodile logo on his coat would become a fashion icon Mandy.
Speaker 3: What's izod Incorrect? James? What is lacasse Correct?
Speaker 1: It's the same company saying it, James, you won.
Speaker 3: If you can get to four minus four?
Speaker 1: Yeah, company's logo.
Speaker 4: Two bovines run directly at each other, perhaps energized by the product they represent.
Speaker 3: James. What is red Bull?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Four to minus four? This is the worst butt kicking of my entire lifetime in this game. I've worked with you for a lot of year. It's an eight point swing. I already crumpled it up, James, because I never want to see.
Speaker 3: It kicked out.
Speaker 2: But last time I was here, so I'm glad he's not here.
Speaker 1: You're you're doing great anyway, James lanch Or Blancher Family Wines, Get your wife and walk tickets before they sell out. Thanks for coming in today, James.
Speaker 3: Thank you for