Speaker 1: Right now, we are joined by a man that Dodger fans loved when he was on the mound for them. Four great years, the four best years of his life were spent in southern California from twenty seventeen, you know, twenty sixteen to twenty nineteen. And he's a guy that is America's pitcher And it was evident, and it came to fruition pitching for Mike Soosha and Team USA this past offseason. And it is the one and only Rich Hill joining us from Massachusetts. Even though he won't disclose the exact location. He is in Beantown calling into Dodger Talk. Rich, thanks a lot for the time. Appreciate it, David, thank you for having me on. It's great to hear your voice, Rich And I know everybody loves hearing your voice.
Speaker 2: Oh well, it's great to hear your voice and great to get back in touch with the Dodger fans. Yeah. You hit the nail on the head with some of the best years in baseball that I've been able to experience was in a Dodger uniform and pitching. Uh, you know, obviously at that that great ballpark in LA that's that's uh, you know Dodger stadiums. Everybody always asked me, what's your favorite park to pitch in? And and uh, Dodger Stadium is right up there as number one.
Speaker 1: You played for eleven different teams and still counting the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Were thirteen thirteen, thirteen thirteen.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, the list is very long and distinguished. I apologize long.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like a receipt from CVS.
Speaker 1: Yes, no doubt, no doubt it is. But when you look back at your time with the Dodgers, riche Uh, what are the fondest memories? I mean, you came close to two no hitters, You had such great chemistry with so many guys on this team that last to this day. What stands out to you the most of those years?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the friendships were built over the years. Uh. You know when we were in LA, just the camaraderie with those teams, the fans, you know, that was that was We had such good teams obviously, and we won and that brought you know, the fans out to come and watch us play. But just the intensity that the fans brought and the love that they have for the Dodgers and you know then emanated over into the clubhouse. And then obviously you know, for me on an own, my own you know, personal performance wise, I you know, wanted to leave everything out there on the field every time I got the opportunity to pitch, you know, for them and also for the you know guys in the clubhouse because they were doing the same thing on a nightly basis. And that's what made it so much fun is just seeing the effort that the guys were putting forth night in and night out, and you know, to do it in that stadium with those fans, Uh, it really is special. And and you know, to everybody now with the success that is going on, really enjoy it because you know it's something that again being from this area where I'm at right now in Boston, there was a tremendous amount of success for a long time with a lot of Boston franchises here. But you know, it comes and goes, so you really have to appreciate it while it's going on. And I know that the Dodger fans certainly do do that.
Speaker 1: Hey, Rich, You're one hundred percent right. Nothing stays the same, it's always changing. I was thinking about this the other day. That's how sick I am. I wasn't thinking about my kids, I wasn't thinking about my wife. I was thinking about the two biggest sports disappointments in my life in Los Angeles sports and the nineteen eighty four Lakers losing giving that series of way to the Celtics is at the top, and a close second is twenty seventeen for a number of different reasons. Obviously we know the Astros were cheating, but for you, you were so close to winning the World Series. How much do you think about twenty seventeen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, you know, I think a lot of it will be thought about post career, post playing and when everything's all said and done, and looking back on certain moments, and you know, talking about how my career has kind of ebbed and flowed and had a lot of milestones of perseverance through it and understanding how to continue to keep moving forward when you get knocked down. But yeah, I definitely think about twenty seventeen because that's a culmination of many careers to be able to win a World Series, and I think all the personal accolades that come along with playing fall in the face of winning a World Series, you know, and really throughout that whole twenty seventeen and into twenty eighteen, those two seasons, you know, again, even though we didn't get a chance to raise the trophy, and you know, see the top of the mountain, you know, at the end of those seasons, it's who we became throughout the process. So I think that's that's something when we look back on it, and I look back on twenty seventeen, it's it's really the perspective that has gained of understanding, you know, the hard work, the perseverance, what it takes to you know, the the ingredients into a championship season. So really understanding it from that perspective puts everything kind of in a better light for me.
Speaker 1: What do you remember the most after being in that clubhouse with your teammates after Game seven of the seventeen World Series I heard a few of you hung around and just kind of chopped it up. What do you remember about that experience?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was very emotional. I think you know, you put in one hundred and sixty two games plus you know, forty five days in spring training and entire off season. Uh, you know that the team has been built to win. Uh, you know, we want to. I think we won what one hundred and seven games that year or something, and you know, at the time one of the best teams of all time in Major League history. Uh. And and to fall short, you know, it was it was a very emotional experience. And uh that's why you play the game though, and and to have that kind of uh peel back to curtain or or understand why we are doing this or you know, it's not for it's not for financial gain. It's not for you know, playing at the highest level. It's to win. Yes, those things are great, but it is to win a World Series. And uh, to be able to get in that position and and put yourself in that position is is so it's so fleeting. Uh. And then to have it come and go, it's almost like a wedding night. You know, it's just like wow that that happened so fast. Uh. And then you know, regrewing again for the off season, getting ready to do it, uh for the next year, it seems like, you know, it's like, okay, we have we know we're going to do really well during the season. We just got to stay healthy, get through the season. And then once we get to the playoffs, we're gonna make a push to win a World series again. But it's really it's funny because you think about it as uh, you know, this this this uh marathon that you just ran and then and then you know again you have to you have to start again and and and uh. That's that's part of the the joy of the journey though too, you know, going through it. There's not a lot of uh glamour or or anything like that that goes along with with playing at the highest level because it's it's really the grind and learning how to get through uh difficult moments and and continue to persevere and battle through uh swordness or injury or or you know, just terrible outcomes or poor performances mentally physically. Uh you continue to just gain uh you know, reference points from the season before. So that's that's really for me, you know, moving forward as as a player and hopefully as a uh you know, somebody who could help other players in the future, uh you know, see that ten thousand foot view and and understand the perspective that they'll have for for an entire career instead of just being you know, caught up in uh an outcome, and and that's something that you know, those years certainly gave me a different perspective than uh and fortunate to have it because there's a there's a number of players that get to play this game and they never get an opportunity to play in a World series, let alone the playoffs. So you know that's something you know that that I'm definitely grateful for.
Speaker 1: And Rich Hill wants to start the journey again even after twenty seasons. Rich Hill, who was a fantastic for Mike's Team USA team this past offseason in Tokyo, Japan, is not ready to call it a career. There's a lot left in that Boston gas tank of his. So you are not retired. You're just winning for that opportunity, right Rich Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know it was great experience. We went to Mexico with Team USA, we qualified to go to Japan and we ended up winning the bronze medal in Japan in the Premiere twelve tournament this past offseason. And you know, with Dino Ebol, Mike Soshia, you know, we had a great coaching staff there with with with all the players, you know, a lot younger than I am, obviously, David. I think that the on average, I think everybody was twenty two on that team. But I enjoyed it so much and I threw the ball great, came out of my hand the way that I wanted to, you know, last season, I got to do what I wanted to do as far as you know, kind of planning out the entire summer, having an opportunity to come back and pitch out of the bullpen with the Red Sox, which was something that I hadn't done in I don't know, ten or twelve years. So that was certainly an interesting challenge, but gratifying in the fact that I was able to you know, see it through and to get the opportunity to start again. Really it was just something that reignited the love for going out there and competing and knowing that I can contribute to a team and not just contribute, you know, in a small way, but I think it could be a major contribution, you know, for this twenty twenty five season. So with that, we'll we'll wait to see where kind of all the chips fall after spring training and as we know, an unfortunate part of the game as injuries, and we're already seeing some of those you know, happening throughout baseball, and I know that there will be needs for teams to you know, looking for starting pitching. So you know, I'm on my end. I'm just staying ready and throwing and working out and and you know, seeing where that that fit might be.
Speaker 1: And somebody definitely could use and certainly gain some traction by signing rich Hill, who is still has has a lot left in the tank, far from over, as the great Frank Stallone would say, Richie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I you know, I'll be forty five here in a couple of days, and I think that's kind of, you know, one of the things for teams. They I totally get it. It's uh, you know, a risk management type of probably outlook for them. How many forty five year old pitchers are still looking to play? I don't think there are any.
Speaker 1: So no, you know, by the way, did you just did you just promote your birthday which is on March eleventh? Were you promoting in Los Angeles that the fact your birthday is coming up? Was that Was that a humble brag?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I guess so. I you know, I'm I hate surprise parties. I'm not a birthday party guy, But grudgingly, I don't you know, I'm like, whatever, it's my birthday, leave me alone.
Speaker 1: I heard you're waiting to sign with the team until after your wife and kids and family throw your birthday party on March eleventh. After that, if you're willing to sign with the.
Speaker 2: Team, well, I felt I felt so good in in in Japan, pitch really well, pitch well in Mexico, you know. And had I not, you know, I think that realistically, seeing obviously the writing on the wall, I would have made a sound decision to to move on. But you know, that wasn't necessarily the fact. So uh, That's That's where I'm at right now, and I feel great and again, uh, you know I I I think that experience, uh, coupled with you know, the understanding of how to pitch in that realm of pitching, not just throwing, there will be a need out there for clubs.
Speaker 1: Heck yeah, there will be. Rich Hill is our guest America's pitcher and basically the anchor, right next to Christopher Columbus, right next to you know, Larry Bird and Robert Parrish and Kevin McHale. Rich Hill, Bobby the King of Boston and your little brother, Walker Buehler has signed with the Red Sox. If you're still not signed with the team and you're still living in Boston and celebrating your birthday which is coming up, as you promoted on March eleventh, how much of a connection do you still have with Walker? How much do you believe that he'll tap into you? Are you trying to gouch him on ren in Boston somewhere? What is the dynamics between you and Buehler now that he's in Boston.
Speaker 2: Now, I've talked with Walker and you know, congratulated him obviously on signing with Boston. And then I love the uh the number choice of zero. I think that's uh, that's that's really uh, you know, perfect for Boston. And uh, he's going to do great here. People are gonna love him, I mean, just as they did in La because of his just the way he goes out there and you know, does his thing and and leaves it all out on the field, and everybody appreciates that. That's what they appreciate anywhere when you're buying the ticket to go watch the show, right, Yeah, and uh, he certainly brings that emotion. That's tied with the ticket. That's the reason why we go to live events. We want to see a performance that you know, you go see a live theater and and and and it's it's very visceral. It's right there in your face. So he's going to bring it here in Boston, and Boston's fortunate enough to to have him. So I think it's going to be a great fit.
Speaker 1: I haven't asked you this before. What he did in Game five of the World Series is legendary, as legendary as Freddie Freeman's walk off Grand Slam in Game one. What did you think about the young kid that was lockered next to you in twenty seventeen growing into that picture that could do something that he was never comfortable with and do it on the biggest stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's you know, the experience that has led right to that moment. So when you get the experience and the seasoning coupled with the moment and the opportunity when you're ready to seize that moment, that is exactly what everybody got to see. And that was you know, that was just the timing and again the struggles, the you know, ups and downs that he's gone through with you know, being injured coming back, but again, all the time and the effort, like I've said before, the days, the weeks, the months, the years that he's put in all showed in that one moment because it all came together, you know, with with the experience, the ability to be able to control the situation at the highest level in the biggest moment, all came together for Walker and it was it was beautiful to see.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, Rich And like I said, a team certainly could use your experience and what you showed for Team USA this past offseason. But if it's a little delayed, I would love to see you at Fenway Park when Walker Buehler makes his first start with the Red Sox. That would be special.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be really cool. Yeah. I got to find out when that's gonna be. And uh, it'll be the first time I think I've sat in the stands to watch a watch a game. Maybe maybe I can get up in the booth and do an inning fall an inning.
Speaker 1: I mean, you did that in spring training last year. Are you doing it again this year?
Speaker 2: We'll see. I'm not one hundred percent sure I know whether it's Uh. With with radio or TV. We'll we'll figure it out. I you know, I haven't put the glove down obviously, so that's that's kind of the big big.
Speaker 1: I guess all right, we've made that clear. I have no Rich Hill is not retired, but you may see him at Fenway Park when Number zero makes his Boston debut. Rich, we could have you on the whole hour and one night we will do that where fans can call in and talk to you and just show you how much you mean to them to this day. But you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, I love La Dave, which obviously that was you know, great years, great memory and and uh great memories throughout those those years there in l A and and certainly we do miss it. We we we love we loved you know, like I said, the time there and and and just the support that everybody gave us so is uh, it's it's uh, you know, special place.
Speaker 1: Well, you're always welcome back, Rich and uh we'll see what happens and what trans inspires in Major League Baseball and where the long journey leads you this year. Thank you for the time, and we'll talk soon
Speaker 2: All right, Dave, thank you for having me on