Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So, since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of June sixteenth, we're continuing with Lost Season three, Episode three further instructions, and we finally get back to the base, our base where we've been hanging out all this time, to find the hatch completely imploded, Desmond running around naked and somewhat addled, and mister Echo apparently having been attacked by a polar bear.
Speaker 3: Is this what we're to believe?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like somehow escaped this implosion situation.
Speaker 1: Which sent his stick flying off into the distance. And also as they're going around looking for mister Echo and trying to evade the polar bear, who should wander out of the jungle. But Hurley yes with some news, yes, yes, about Jack and Kate and Sawyer having been taken, and Locke and Charlie chat with him briefly and they go off on their way. Did so many place walk this man back to the beach worried about him? But he does get there eventually, where everybody is seems kind of mad at him for his news, Right, He didn't, He didn't have anything to do with that. He was completely innocent. The person you want to be mad at is Michael people early was only a victim. Yes, But I had to laugh because there's these two characters, Nikki and Polo, who will feature in briefly this season. Met them and they were supposed to be they were supposed to be two people. You know, there's all these extra people we comment every so often that we've never seen before. Well, they thought, hey, what if we take two of those people and have a plot about them, and so they just in this one they're talking and people are saying their names right completely out of.
Speaker 3: The blow nowhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't remember. I mean you you also felt that way, right. I know who they are and I know it's going to happen to them. And I've been seeing their names, the the names of the actors coming up, and they last week they weren't there. But this week, oh, they were stepping up like they have a right to.
Speaker 3: Comment on anything.
Speaker 1: Who are you to be giving Hurley the stink eye?
Speaker 3: Lady?
Speaker 1: We have never seen you before?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was another episode of who in the world are you?
Speaker 1: You know, they had to like introduce them in ways like this so that they can have a flashback episode about them and then.
Speaker 3: Then they disappear again.
Speaker 1: Can't allegedly, we do not care. There's enough people. Stop introducing new people.
Speaker 2: We have this whole crew of others.
Speaker 1: Somebody on a blog somewhere made the mistake of saying, I wonder what the deal is with all these other people, and they thought, oh, really, well, here we go.
Speaker 3: We can tell you that.
Speaker 1: Never mind, Jack and Katon swear we'll get back to them. But let us serve you up various random people to be interested in, Oh, well.
Speaker 2: And we also had the first hint of.
Speaker 3: Flash forward or.
Speaker 2: Seeing into the future or something.
Speaker 1: That's right, because Desmond is apparently sing into the future right.
Speaker 2: And Hurley has pretty much clocked that. You know, he says to Herley something about how Locke said that in his speech, which had not yet happened, and and Hurley's like, what are you talking about, man, dude?
Speaker 3: And then when Locke indeed.
Speaker 2: Makes the speech later, Hurley it's got a look on his face like, whoa things are weird?
Speaker 1: They are they've been something one doesn't often think.
Speaker 3: Yes, he's been.
Speaker 1: Not the typical weirdness. It's a new kind of weird.
Speaker 3: We're always coming up with new weirdnesses for your viewing.
Speaker 1: For Desmond, that man is cursed.
Speaker 2: But at least he got a new T shirt.
Speaker 1: I know, how do how does it really have extra clothing with him?
Speaker 3: Well, I guess when he went wondering on his expedition to uh, you know.
Speaker 1: He brought some he brought a change of clothes with them.
Speaker 3: I suppose it makes sense.
Speaker 1: But and you know, the main focus of this episode, alas was John Locke Eternal Sad Sacks again, because we needed another flashback in which he is betrayed and perceived to be betraying by people he cares about, although they turn out to not be such great people. But and really, you know, he brought the guy there, but they're the ones who let him stay and met. Shouldn't they have been a little more cautious?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Also, do they know John? Why would they Trusty?
Speaker 3: How long has he been there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you don't just automatically trust somebody he trusts because he has no Yeah, it has no sense at all. So yeah, so that was kind of sad but typical. And now he's trying to be in charge of something non understandable again, right, good luck with that.
Speaker 2: So he sets himself up with a sweat lodge and something this I guess the same drug that he gave Boone to induce the vision that Boone had of Shannon, And according to the last pedia it's called island pudding.
Speaker 3: This subsistance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so interesting because we got his visions of many of his fellow castaways right in the past but also in the future, you know, like, yeah, relationships.
Speaker 3: They were having.
Speaker 1: Trippy weirdness for a little while there, and in summer Holder got to come back for an episode, nice to see him.
Speaker 2: I'm doing in regular makeup and then dead body makeup basically.
Speaker 1: Right lovely, you know, well take what he can get. You're never truly dead on this show. You can always come back in a flashback with a dream of sweat lodge induced vision. All kinds of opportunities, that's right, that's right, Just get your agent on them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I felt like that when you're watching that dream. It's like when your kid is trying to retell the story of, you know, something they have read or watched or maybe they dreamed about, and they're and they're just like and then and you are just trying to keep up and being like uh huh, yep, sure, okay, and who else was there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a struggle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's just just go with it. You know, this is our parenting do It's just enjoy your child's creative ability and don't feel a need to say but wait a minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't try to make it make sense?
Speaker 3: Will not?
Speaker 1: What other parenting tips can we pick up from this mess? Don't pick up hitchhikers kids. Don't pick up hitchhigers. It never ends, well.
Speaker 3: Really never does.
Speaker 1: Even if they seem friendly. They may bring down your whole nice situations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and I feel like that was, you know, a found family situation that did not work out for for our flock.
Speaker 1: You know it was yeah, it was working out fine, but they were really not not They were really conning him, as everybody in his life has contract in one way or the other life. But she got It's just like he keeps thinking he's found it and then losing it, as he has again in this episode in on the in Island time. Yeah, I just kept pushing the button exactly. Yeah, his found family was yourself, John, Never think for yourself. It's not your strength. Just do what you're dold.
Speaker 2: His found her family was no improvement on his real family.
Speaker 1: As it turned out, they too were betraying him.
Speaker 2: He should have listened to Katie Segal back in the day.
Speaker 1: You know, she stayed with her just yeah, she had his best interest in her. She really did we think you know, there could always be a flashbook or it turns out she was working for somebody.
Speaker 3: Yes that was true.
Speaker 1: And you know, nothing, nothing is trustworthy and right for poor John.
Speaker 2: But he does know how to make a flamethrower out of a can of hair spray.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're against where going with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And mister Echo is apparently superhuman because he was thrown however, you know whatever distance away from the hatch when it exploded and attacked by a polar bears.
Speaker 3: So that's a lot.
Speaker 2: So I don't know how he he survives that.
Speaker 1: But that's right. I mean, a parenting tip would be understand that the things you do to your kid that are negative are going to reverberate through the rest of his life. So no pressure. The path you send your little John locke on is going to be the path he follows and internalizes. And gosh, it's a responsibility for parents because it's easy to accidentally do to something that's going to have negative reverberations, and that you will always be remembered for that, right, you know, And and and also that your kid will always remember the negative things more than the positive things. I had a wonderful mother. She was she gave everything for me. She was just terrific. But I remember her worrying and I remember her controlling, and then I have gone on to do exactly those same things with my job. So I think things through a little bit plan out do some flash forward, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 1: You you think and in the moment you're doing the right thing, and they're just that kid. But you know, yikes, Hopefully they will never be on a on an island or on a TV show, because then everything you do will come back to haunt them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, I like your flash forward idea.
Speaker 3: Let's let's get on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, it's horrifying though. Probably I'm kind of in the middle. Where am I with my kids?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: I'm like in the in the main thing. So we have flashboards and flashbacks, and I flashback a lot. That's another thing that may be a parenting tip. Think about the things that you've done that you look at now and go and see what you can do to write that or else just lean the bleep into it and be an evil genius.
Speaker 2: Say there you go, you know, And that sounds like a possibility. Be another Let's see we also have you know, how are these castaways going to do without their.
Speaker 3: Island dad Jack? Because he's he's gone.
Speaker 2: That is that why we suddenly have Paolo?
Speaker 1: I think, so there's a there's a floppy haired guy void since Sawyer's not there, so they had to find somebody else. But Yeah, that they do leave a hole, don't they. And everybody's like, how could we possibly go on with her?
Speaker 3: Man to figure out?
Speaker 1: When you guys knew what a mess Jack was, you would not be wanting him back so hard.
Speaker 2: If you had access to the flashbacks like we do, you'd be like, you can stay over there with the others, exactly, do if they have any psychiatric help over there, buddy, because.
Speaker 1: You did what in your father's ape? Oh dear, how fast did your wife divorce?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: He puts on such a good front, you know, he seems so capable and yet really not on much more solid ground than John Locke.
Speaker 3: So this is true.
Speaker 1: It's they're all kind of a mess though, So they should appreciate one another. Yeah, this is a parenting tip. Appreciate that you can see your child's flaws. You have flaws too. Everybody makes mistakes, we all screw up, we're all standing on shifting ground. Just give a lot of hugs, and you know, appreciate each other.
Speaker 3: Just do your best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do your best in the moment, because you know, at any time you can be dropped on an island and all sorts of bleep will happen.
Speaker 3: So stuff is exploding right now.
Speaker 1: Yep, appreciate what you got right now. You know, make good, make good flashbacks. Concentrate on making.
Speaker 3: Good flashbacks right.
Speaker 1: When your child is looking back on this time. You don't want them to go, oh, there's where my life went off. That's what terrible, terrible to say. Those were good times. Man, I wish I.
Speaker 3: Was back there right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: In the case of Locke, it's just a series of there's not just one point.
Speaker 1: It just keeps going a long series of humiliations. So you know, think about what you want your kids flashbacks to look like, and you know, design them carefully. I are an art director.
Speaker 2: It'll be fine there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, our flashbacks are conclude years of watching this thing. So let's see what's coming up next. Next Tuesday, we will continue with season three, episode four of Lost every Man for Himself. That doesn't sound good? And what about the ladies? Do we know who? This is a flashback of I believe it's Sawyer? Oh gosh, what's that? Guys?
Speaker 2: Do we need Sawyer information?
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about the time where he was a driver for a bad man. Every Man for Himself does indeed sound like a Sawyer episode, doesn't it, And we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss Duster. Hey, thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash Shop slash Mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.