Speaker 1: Hi, everybody, Welcome to this spooky Halloween episode of Humming Out Pod. I am your spooky host, Lauren.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited about this episode.
Speaker 1: I wanted to do a special episode because I realized that, so Halloween's on a Thursday this year. If you're listening to this when it comes.
Speaker 2: Out, it is eve of Halloween.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's a thing, but yeah, it's a day before Halloween. And I was like, I should do a thematic episode. But before we jump into it, Okay, I'm also doing a thematic queer root shout out.
Speaker 2: Shout out to you if your queer root.
Speaker 1: Is the nineteen ninety five live action Casper movie.
Speaker 3: This is a big one for some people because it's fifteen year old Christina Ricci and seventeen year old Devin's soa not the voice of Casper, but the visual manifestation of Casper.
Speaker 1: So many young folks had clear awakenings seeing this movie. Also many women who later went on to realize that they were actually lesbian's. Initially young Devin Saul. We've had this discussion on the podcast many times. But just like young Leo DiCaprio and many others of that ILK is like a very good starter boy crush if you then eventually realize like, oh that wasn't I see what that was?
Speaker 2: So yeah, shout out to you.
Speaker 1: If either Baby Christiana, reach your Baby Devin SAA and Casper stirred some queer ghostly feet or the ghost I don't want to judge. Maybe you thought Cgi Casper was hot.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Anyway, check out the movie Casper.
Speaker 4: Yo.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is like half Reducs episode but not really.
Speaker 2: But what I mean is that I have.
Speaker 1: Two guests today, one of whom has previously been on the podcast. I am here with BJ and Harmony Colangelo.
Speaker 2: Aka the Wives Colangelo. Hi, Welcome to both of you.
Speaker 4: Hello, Hi, this.
Speaker 2: Is so thrilling.
Speaker 1: So for those who maybe are newer to the podcast or maybe you don't listen to every single episode, BJ was on all the way back in March of twenty twenty two. It's episode one ninety one. BJ tells her coming out story and we I honestly, if you haven't heard that episode, pause this one.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Go back listen to the first like ten to fifteen minutes of bj solo episode because she gives such a great primer on queer horror and how queerness and the horror genre are just like intrinsically linked. It goes all the way back like to like Dracula, Mary Shelley, bram Stalker, like all of this stuff. It was such an interesting conversation and as I mentioned during that episode, I am a huge scaredy cat. I absolutely cannot watch scary movies, and so I've missed out on a huge chunk of like queerness, I feel like because I can't see any of the movies that people are talking about, and especially in recent years, there have been.
Speaker 2: Like so many.
Speaker 1: I do always watch the compilations that people make of like the smooching moments, so like I cannot see Haunting a Fly and Manner, but I've seen all of the kissing.
Speaker 2: Scenes in it.
Speaker 1: Thank you YouTubers who do that for people like me.
Speaker 2: But so, so that's BJ and then Harmony.
Speaker 1: You get mentioned a lot in that episode because you two are in surprise.
Speaker 5: She talks about me all the time.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, it's very true.
Speaker 1: But so you're both podcasters, you're writers, you both do film theory, you are the co of This ends a prom which we will plug at the end, and You're also the co writers of sleep Away Camp from Die Die Books.
Speaker 2: So y'all really know your queer horror.
Speaker 1: And I wanted to have you both on to talk about, Yeah, some movies that you enjoy, just like just get us in the mood for Halloween. And so I always say, you know, how did I identify? That's kind of my catchphrase, b J. The last time you were on this is like two and a half years ago, we talked about you were using the word lesbian, but we talked about your kind of storied history with lesbian and like, how yeah, so is that does that still feel true for you as an identifier?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep, it definitely still is an identifier. If anything, I've only gotten more aggressive about it because as the unfortunate reality of transphobia just you know, getting a little kickstart thanks to the political discourse, I've gotten more aggressive about affirming that I am a lesbian and if anyone has a problem with that, they can uh suck it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so you heard that here, problem that suck at Yeah, it's true, even though it's like margin of twenty twenty two doesn't sound like that long ago, but it's like, oh yeah, things have gotten worse since then, just in general.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, cool, glad, we're moving in a positive reaction.
Speaker 1: You also mentioned self described as a green haired swamp queen goddess.
Speaker 2: Does this still feel true? Hair is still green?
Speaker 4: Okay to chest, still swampy, still a goddess, and so harmony.
Speaker 1: Your hair is not green, but it is a different color, not found in nature.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but blue is found in nature. It's just I think the rarest color found in nature, and certainly it is not a hair color. I'm the kind of blue hair that makes in cells tend to stereotype people be like, h those blue haired libs.
Speaker 2: That is so true.
Speaker 1: That has become the like catch all phrase they do say blue hair.
Speaker 2: Look at that. I love that.
Speaker 5: Confront them, hat on, I did it before it was cool.
Speaker 1: Reclaim it well, harmony, Other other than blue hair, how do you identify Since we didn't get to hear that back in March of twenty two.
Speaker 5: I'm a trans woman. Bisexuality is a like to fuck my wife. And that's about it. We keep it vague.
Speaker 2: There's nothing to add to that.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful, perfect, okay, okay, so we are going to jump right into this episode, and it's sort of going to be like very free flowy format wise, but yeah, I emailed Bjay to be like, do you both want to come on and talk queer horror? Because I can't, and so I'd love for you just to tell me about yeah, like specific movies or your or what drew you both to it, your relationship to it, just like any horror stuff. What does someone like me, a queer person who is very entrenched in like queer culture but not at all entrenched in queer horror, Like, where do I start?
Speaker 2: What do I need to know?
Speaker 1: What do I do for this current Halloween that is approaching?
Speaker 5: I mean, quite frankly, I think there's no better time to get into queer horror than now, because there's never been more of it than this.
Speaker 1: Why I have felt that so strongly lately, And it's like I never used to feel that sort of on the outside. It was like, yeah, I'd never seen Jennifer's body, which was like every time I say that, people are like, ooh, of you never And I'm like, I've watched the kissing scene on YouTube, like I've seen the important part, but in the most like I don't know even just past five years, there has suddenly been so much. And I think around the time of Body's Body's Bodies was when I started to really feel like.
Speaker 2: Kind of left out of this whole thing.
Speaker 1: And then I saw the TV glow most recently, I was.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm really I'm missing.
Speaker 1: Out on discourse like so, so yeah, it feels.
Speaker 5: Like discourse there was with that one.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, I read a Wikipedia synopsis of that movie, which is what I sometimes do with horror movies. I'll read the full Wikipedia entry to try to yeah, because I can't watch them, but I want to know what people are talking about.
Speaker 2: So that's for that one.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I would saying I think the basics that you need to know when it comes to queer horror is, like I said on my first go round, the absolute building blocks and foundational texts of the genre are either made by queer people or they are queer stories. We sort of talked about like Bram Stoker and Mary Shelley, all of these like old Gothic writers, but we didn't talk as much about how when you look at like the very very early films, usually that's the universal monster movies. That's sort of where every horror film branches off from like you can trace every horror movie, doesn't matter how weird, how interesting, how creative and artistic it's coming out today, you can trace all of them back to one of the universal monster movies in some way, shape or form. And a lot of those movies were directed by people who either were openly gay, but the Hayes Code was going on, so they couldn't actually tell gay stories, so instead they would hide gay stories in monster texts. And the Hayes Code also required that if there was like a monster or you know, something that was taboo, that they had to be punished for it, because we love censorship. But that meant that a lot of these directors got very very creative in how they were coding things, how they were slipping things in subtextually. So the history of queerness and horror is often the history of queerness as the monstrous and people embracing the monstrous as well. If society's gonna see me in this way, then I'm gonna embrace it, and I'm gonna ruin all of your lives. And there's something very delicious and fun about that that is, you know, very exciting. Like I think I talked about on the last one like you look like lesbian vampire movies from the nineteen seventies, and everyone's like in a castle with gorgeous cloria, they're sexy, and two right, like, how am I supposed to see myself as the villain here? This is aspirational as far as I'm concerned. Yes, yes, but the influence of queer creators and horror has never gone away. It has been consistent, even if it's not always on Front Street. The easiest people to point to, I think now for like contemporary horror is there's two like main main figures here, the first one being Kevin Williamson, who you're if you're a scaredy cat. He created Dawson's Creek, You're welcome. But he's also the writer of movies like The Faculty and Teaching Missus Tingle and I Know What You Did Last Summer and most importantly Scream. And he is an out gay man, has been an out gay man forever. So you look at like the nineties horor cycle, everything was either emulating or in response to movies Kevin Williamson made, so like this gay man is controlling the entire genre. And then the other really big one here is Don Mancini. Dun uh daddy, daddy do.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of those, so.
Speaker 5: You have heard of his work because Don's known for one thing.
Speaker 4: So most slasher franchises will have like a really great outing at first, and then the subsequent sequels will turn into a hot ass mess. And it's usually because new.
Speaker 5: Writer, single one of them is written to be the last one, and then a new writer has to come along and a new director comes along and they go fuck like, they blew him up? How do I bring him back?
Speaker 2: Oh? Gotcha? Okay, okay, cool cool cool? Yes. So it's like the Jason and.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, Jason, Michael Myers all of this. So it'll be a new writer, a new director, new cast, and it's just they become a mess. They're delightful messes, but they become a mess. There's one major of like the major major horror franchises where that doesn't happen, and it's Child's Play or the Chucky franchise, which has which has had Don Mancini a part of it since the very beginning. So all seven Chucky movies were excluding the remake that's not that's its own thing, but all seven of the Chucky movies and all three seasons of the Chucky series are written or show run by Don Mancini, so he has had a control of this narrative the entire time, and as time has gone on, Don Mancini has made the series gayer and gayer and gayer. Yeah, like Eat of Chucky, it has a non binary character.
Speaker 5: So like, that's cool. In the TV show, he does a boundary union with the cast. It gets like, Chucky is a guy who's just like, I've got a non binary kid. I'm not a monster. I love my kid. And it's like, Chucky, You're a piece of shit. Charles Lee raised an asshole and yet he still loves his kid.
Speaker 1: Oh well, that reminds me of when I watched the movie Vice and Dick Cheney has the scene and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, god, damn it.
Speaker 1: Dick Cheney was a good father to his lesson and daughter. Wait, so and Jennifer Tilly, Wait is it Jennifer or Meg?
Speaker 2: It's Jennifer?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, Meg in the show.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm glad she's working.
Speaker 2: You never seen.
Speaker 5: Universe is wide and bountiful.
Speaker 1: Jennifer Tilly's been in since the beginning, Is that right?
Speaker 2: Is she old school Chucky.
Speaker 5: She's been here since Bride of Chucky, where she is the titular ride of Chucky. She is she plays Tiffany.
Speaker 1: And so did and Gina Gershan like came on the show as Sean Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah joey pants. And is the guy what is his name? Don don vancy? Is he queer?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: What's okay?
Speaker 2: Okay? So he okay?
Speaker 1: So he's in the grand tradition of And that's really interesting because so when did the Chucky franchise start?
Speaker 2: Is it early two thousands?
Speaker 4: Is a late nineties?
Speaker 2: Like eight Holy crap? So this guy has lived through watching.
Speaker 1: Queerness like become like even trendy unpopular, Like, so what a cool opportunity for an hour queer man to get to.
Speaker 2: Like do stuff in his movie? Was it?
Speaker 1: So it's like it used to be subverted maybe in the movies and now is like at the fourth it was a little bit.
Speaker 4: More subtle in the in the early film. So, like, the Chucky franchise is sort of in like four categories. There's the first three movies, which are kind of like traditional slasher movies, uh, you know, from the eighties and early nineties. Then you have Bride and Seed, which is where they get really campy and like the queerness definitely gets put on front street. Like there's a gay character in Bride of Chucky that was kind of unheard of. Alexis Arquette is in Bride of Chucky, then you bless her rip. Then you get to Seed of Chucky, where you're introduced to Chucky and Tiffany's child, who in that movie is going by Glenn and Glenda, but it's they them. Then you get to the Curse and Cult of Chucky movies, which is sort of like a return to form in the late twentys early twenty tens. And then you get the sci fi series, which is putting together all three of those eras of Chucky into one thing and to your point where you're like, it's really cool that this out gay man has gotten to see, you know, queerness become trendy by the time we get to the series. The lead character in it is an out gay teenager who comes across the Chucky doll and so the whole series is centered around a gay teenager. So he went from having to like sneak in his little queerness, you know, subtextually at the early part of the franchise to now this is the lead role, like the lead romance in the series are two young gay boys.
Speaker 2: My god, and that's over like decades.
Speaker 1: That's really cool because like I didn't know, like what you were saying about how most of these franchises that exist for so long, it's like a full different you know, writer, director team like et cetera, et cetera. But so for one person to get to go on that journey, that's like, good for this guy. I just found out this person exists, and now I'm like, oh, good for done. That's really a love boy.
Speaker 2: That's incredible.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, well that is something I'd love to ask about because it's like.
Speaker 2: This transition from queer.
Speaker 1: Characters in Horror being the I feel like first they were like the straight up, like aligned villains, like they are bad, and then they start to become the cooler, sexy villains, which is like when.
Speaker 2: You were talking about with the lesbian vampires and stuff.
Speaker 1: But like, so now we've moved into like queer people being like the protagonists, like the heroes.
Speaker 2: So what's that what been like?
Speaker 1: Because it's like our our queer characters still are like straight people the villains now or is everybody queer? Like what how did that transition from like villain a protagonist?
Speaker 5: Like, well, it's always been like it's been a reflection of like how society views queer people over time. Time you get to the seventies with the you know, disillusion of the Hayes code, that's when stuff got Like seventies directors were just on something and it was usually cocaine, and they just went balls to the wall with every choice they ever made. Everything became the most of everything, and it's maybe the most dynamic and interesting decade for cinema. But that's where you started to get like the less in vampire movies of the seventies. That's where you started to get like the Hammer horror films, where like vampires were coming back after being kind of sidelined for a long time. You know, you had your Abbitt and Castello met the universal monsters, and then Hammer brought back all of the monsters in new violent, neon blood sexy ways. But by the time you get to the eighties, things have to kind of go underground again because of the AIDS epidemic, So then stuff becomes coded again, and then the nineties is kind of the runoff of that, it's very homophobic, and then by the time you start to get out of the two thousands, you get to see more consistent queer characters getting to be the heroes, because that's where we have finally come full circle. And normally you get the response of like the nineties and the two thousands being extremely homophobic in the mainstream, and horror has never really been the mainstream, but it does tend to be appreciated in select instances by the mainstream. I don't think you're gonna get to the point where we're ever going to cycle back to movies being as blatantly homophobic as they were during that era, despite being what it is now. So yeah, I mean probably maybe the next big change will be we'll go back to getting more gay monsters, which I'd be fine with as long as you're doing something right.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm wondering, because it's like, on the one hand, like it's so great that we have queer protagonists, but on the other end, we talked PJ in your first episode about how like villains are always like coolers.
Speaker 2: What you kind of don't want to lose that ass totally.
Speaker 5: Oh there was the period of like the model Minority, where gay people weren't allowed to be interesting characters and the queer monsters the best. And it's also like the best tool for telling queer stories, I think, because queerness exists in a hetero world and therefore you're an outsider, and in many cases that would make you monstrous. So that is a far more compelling story than just being like everyone gets along, there's no monster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, god it is.
Speaker 6: It's so complicated, and like with the Scream franchise, because this is one where i've actually I mean I saw all the originals like that I could handle for whatever reason, because it was like.
Speaker 1: Funny and silly and I don't know if campy is the right word, but like I did see all the original what was it like four or something, but I haven't seen any of the new ones, and my memory of the original Scream movies, I don't remember any overt clearness. And then I just not pick up my stuff about one. Okay, sure's you neither revisit that one. Yeah, that's like a subtle like these guys are really good friends kind of vibe this, Okay.
Speaker 4: It is very much that sort of relationship. There's actually a very famous scene in Scream After you know, spoiler alert for a very old movie that where you know, Billy and st so Matthew Lillard and Skeet Ulrich are like tormenting Nev Campbell's Sydney and you have Matthew Lillard like hanging on the shoulder of Skeet Ulrich. That image gets used a lot as like, oh, look at they're just boys. They're just friends. They're just guys being friends. And it is almost identical to a shot in my favorite movie of all time, nineteen eighty five's Fright Night, which is a super gay vampire movie with Chris Randan, where there is a like, again almost an identical scene where Chris Irannon is hanging over the shoulder of his quote unquote Renfield type is familiar Billy, and you're just like, oh, I see this, I see what happened here.
Speaker 1: That's like a direct homage.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Like it's exactly the same thing. And like there's also something very inherently gay just about Dracula and Renfield in general, because Downfield is his you know, his his little.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's call it what it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, right, okay, And so a lot of those things are just like trickled in throughout the genre. And there's something I want to say, and this is a very controversial take, but got to hear me on this. So I assume you've heard of the barrier gaye trope or like you know that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, the barrier gaze.
Speaker 1: Can you really briefly like give an elevator not a pitch?
Speaker 2: We don't description for those who familiar, right.
Speaker 4: Right, So the barrier gaye trope is basically a trend in film and television where gay people die, usually to push forward the narrative of either another gay person. We have to torture one gay person by killing their lover, or it's going to pay forward, yes I e. Buffy, that's the like the most egregious example, or it's going to push forth the narrative of like the well meaning straight ally of like oh no, my gay friend is dead and now I have to act a certain way. That trope is very real. It is very problematic. However, Comma it does not apply to the horror genre because death is the point in this genre.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, And that's a great point that I had not thought of.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So like Blind Manner, for example, that is one that people point to all the time and they're like, oh, I love this series, but I hate that it fulfills the barrier gaze trope, and it's like, this is a movie about like, this is a series why people dying and becoming ghosts. That's everyone is going to die and become ghosts. That's the whole point. It doesn't become barrier gaze just because these characters happen to be gay. When everyone's gonna die and become ghosts's like that's the point. So that is where like queer horror discourse gets very frustrating. This is where it gets into kind of like the model minority situation of people getting upset when gay characters die in horror movies, where it's like, Okay, I see what you're saying. I get it. It does suck, however, everyone dies.
Speaker 5: Except like, I just want people to have a fighting chance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe let's not have them be the very first person who like, let's know a little more about them before they.
Speaker 2: That's exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's such a good point because we did have a really good discussion in your first episode Bay about context and how we have lost almost all of that incurrent, like especially online. So that's a really good point for the context of herr. It's like, we have to be a little more lenient because, yeah, the landscape is death, so let's not freak out one queer characters exist in that landscape.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a really good point.
Speaker 4: And like so there have been attempts to sort of, you know, course correct what people view as like a very problematic history, which I understand. But the one of the examples I like to bring up to people is a few years ago there was the slasher movie They Slash Them, which is an almost exclusively queer cast written directed by John Logan, who is, you know, an Academy Award winning openly gay screenwriter, and he very much approached this as like, I wanted to make a horror movie for, you know, the kids that I was hanging out with when I was young, like the young queer kids who get to be heroes, get to be champions. And it's like that is such a great idea. But there feels like there are no stakes in that movie because I never actually believe any of these characters are in trouble because I don't think this movie is going to kill any of the gay characters, and therefore I don't like the threat. Then suddenly doesn't exist anymore. Like you can care about characters, but you also need to care about whether or not they live or die. And if I don't feel like there's a threat here, then it's harder to connect.
Speaker 5: I mean, in staid, there isn't in that movie, but yes, there literally isn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so's tough threat.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So that's a movie that I like to point to in that Like when people say like, oh, I just hate it when they all die or I hate this, I hate that, it's like, okay, well here's a movie where they don't die. And everyone hated this movie, and like a lot of people bash the hell out of that movie. And it's like, well, they gave you what people have been asking for in the discourse minds uh, he punched your car outs. They gave you what you asked for, and this is why you don't like it. You need to have those stakes, You need to have that investment in these characters. You need to be able to to mourn these characters. There's there's a quote that Roger Ebert said an interview that gets used a lot, which is that movies are machines that generate empathy. If you do not give people a reason to like invest in these characters and care about them, then you're not going to be able to generate empathy for them. And so horror, I think, is one of the great mediums we have to teach people one how to empathize and invest in the suffering of other people and want to see them survive. But it also gives you a playground, essentially, to learn to navigate your own negative emotions because a lot of people. You know, I'm not saying that everybody needs to watch horror, of course not, but I do think that because horror is such a wide genre, there are movies for everyone. You just have to, you know, have somebody curate for you. Take some baby steps. Don't throw yourself into the deep end and be like, well, I don't like horror, but let's see what hell rasor is all about, Like, don't do that to yourself.
Speaker 3: But but but it's so gooy and sexy and fun.
Speaker 4: And based on gay sn m clubs.
Speaker 1: Yes really, rather the one where he has pins in his face?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, okay, and.
Speaker 5: Like, oh yeah, it's done by Clive Barker. Clive Barker also did Night Breed. If you're gonna watch it, yeah, you need to watch the director's cut because it's fire superior version, arguably one of the best directs cuts ever made. He did Midnight Meat Train. He you know, is responsible as Hell's Midnight Meat Train.
Speaker 4: It's Midnight b Train where Bradley Cooper becomes obsessed with a man named after a piece of wood y.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Clive Barker just does whatever he wants. He's a maniac queer.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah, super sick.
Speaker 2: I don't know anything, but this is so.
Speaker 1: I know the name Clive Barker, but I did not.
Speaker 2: I had no This is really I am mister.
Speaker 5: There's also the new Hell Raiser, which stars Jamie Clayton as the Priest aka Pinhead, which means you get now trans cenobites and they kind of never had a gender. That was the point. But like that's an extra layer of queerness. It's like you've put three hats on this hat.
Speaker 1: It's great, Okay, this is wild. I had no idea Hell Raiser was queer. I just knew about the pin The pin person with Pinhead is the.
Speaker 2: Night of that character.
Speaker 5: That's what everyone calls it.
Speaker 4: That makes free pihead whatever you want to call it. Okay, But yeah, the aesthetics of the Cenobites, which are these you know, demons where pain and pleasure are one and the same, they are definitely modeled after the gay sn M clubs that Clive Barker used to go to. They're all wearing leather and chains and you know, terrorizing each other for the funzies. It's super super.
Speaker 1: Good, Okay, L I had no idea. Oh and wait, what I was going to ask earlier is the modern Scream.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they're not reboots. I guess because they're I mean, it's in there.
Speaker 1: Can the sequels there were just like kids, we call them like sequels.
Speaker 2: Oh, I like that, but.
Speaker 1: There was like a big gap right in between, like yeah, and so are the new ones like overtly overtly queer like queer characters or like what's he doing with those new ones now that he can in a way that he couldn't, And like, you.
Speaker 4: Know what's fascinating is the new ones. Suscream five and six come from the film collect known as Radio silence. They also made an incredible movie called Ready or Not that people love because it's Samorrow Weaving covered in blood in a wedding dress and screaming.
Speaker 5: It's funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very funny. So you've seen that image. You've seen that. They also did Abigail this year, the Valleria Vampire movie. But in Scream five and six they introduce the character of Mindy Meeks. She has a second last name I can never remember, but she's related to Jamie Kennedy's character, Randy Meeks. That's that's their uncle because their mom is Heather Modarazzo's character from Scream two, So you know Heather Madarazzo lesbian icon. Incredible, yes, but the kids, the kids are twins and one of them is played by Jasmine Savoy Brown and in Scream six has a girlfriend. So it's very, very very openly queer. And then in the next movie for Scream seven, which we don't know what, there's been a lot of chaos behind the scenes. His own I have read about can of Worms. Yeah, shout out, Melissa Brera, You're a real one. But Kevin Williamson is now taking over to direct Scream seven rather than just you know, be the guy who wrote the original screenplay and created this world. He's now directing Scream seven, okay, and so I'm very curious to see like what he's going to do with this world, if there's going to be a new queer character, what we're gonna see, like we just we just don't know yet, okay.
Speaker 1: Ooh that's cool.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: And then in terms of I mean, I want y'all to talk about whichever movies.
Speaker 2: You want to talk about.
Speaker 1: I know I'd mentioned in my email the ones that were really in my face on social media were Bodies, Body's Bodies, and I saw the TV glow like with those any thoughts feelings like those. That was when I felt like everyone was talking about movies not necessary, like it seeped out of queer Twitter for me, and I was like, oh, this is like everywhere, these movies are like making us splash or whatever the kids.
Speaker 4: I'll talk that, I'll talk Bodies, Bodies, Bodies, and that that one was so fun because the queerness is so casual. It's not part of you know, the plot, like it is part of the plot in the sense that like it's a couple and you're, you know, watching this couple that have, you know, not the easiest relationship going on, and for that to just be right, for that to be treated as just like normal matter of fact. I was like, Oh, that's really nice. That's like a nice little addition here. And the fact is like their love and their relationship is part of it, but it's not about it, which I And then as far as I saw the TV glow is concerned, I guess that's more of a harmony wheelhouse.
Speaker 5: But harmony is an eagle on merit.
Speaker 4: Harmony is a very unpopular opinion about I saw the.
Speaker 2: Tea well, I'd love to hear.
Speaker 1: I would love to hear an unpopular opinion, if you I know, like I know, giving an unpopular opinion is like opening yourself up.
Speaker 2: To very angry fans.
Speaker 5: But yeah, no, yes, I mean I watched that. I'd been I'd been dreading that movie because the previous film by Jane Shoon bra We're All Going to the World's Fair, was toploitely say, not my cup of tea, And I was not a terrible fan, but I do kind of respect the scrappiness of that movie, which is fair. I was not looking forward to I saw the TV glow. I was dreading it when it was doing festival circuits because if I like it, that's fine. If I'm mediocre on it, that won't end well. If I hate it, that's very bad. Sure, sure, this is a matter of I think it's bad. It's a matter of that means either I say nothing, or I say or I heard a lot of people's feelings.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the curse of like being a queer person talking about I was gonna say queer media, but kind of like anything queer that exists is like you have to figure out. Sometimes you're like, I really don't like this, but for the for the community, Like I guess I'll keep my opinions to myself because it's like good that it's getting out there. But it's like, okay, when what's the tipping point? At what point do we have enough stuff out there that we're allowed to be honest about our opinions the way like straight white people could be honest about anything so much?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, because that's.
Speaker 4: The trap that we all fall into, as anybody who is marginalized writing about art that is coming from marginalized voices, is that, on one hand, This is my very like diplomatic assessment of I saw the TV Glow, which is not about the movie itself. It's about like kind of the culture that has surrounded it, because I think that is more interesting to talk about than the actual movie. Like people are going to feel about that movie, how they feel about it. The culture surrounding that movie is what I think is more interesting is that a lot of people came out in twenty twenty, either sexuality, gender, what have you, because a lot of people had a lot of time to sit in with their internal thoughts and come to some conclusions. And I think that that is beautiful and I think that is incredible. But it also means that a lot of people were coming out and discovering things about themselves while they were inside and they were not outside in having to deal with large Oh. So people became like very fixated on trying to find what I like to call like the myth of the universal experience, which is when people post like their cute little memes or whatever of like the trans girl starter kit or like the lesbian starter kit, and it's like, you know, whatever, whatever, and to some extent, like that's very cute. It's a way to find community. But also it is we've invented a new way to other people by doing that. Yes, there are so many queer and trans people I know who will not say anything negative about I saw the TV Glow because they know this movie has been very vital for a lot of people. It has helped a lot of people come to terms with their own feelings about their gender or their sexuality. Or there's even somebody who used their letterboxed review to come out as trans. That is a very big deal, and no one else in the community wants to like shit on that by being hey, I don't like this movie. Because because we've become such like indoor kids, people are now treating media as an extension of their personality. So if you say I don't like this movie, they're not hearing I don't like this movie. They're hearing I don't like you.
Speaker 2: It's a stand culture. It's too much.
Speaker 1: I need to use that term because it's so embarrassing. But that is what Yeah, and the parasocial relationship and all this stuff that we're talking about online, like this is the the I was going to say the negative side of it, but it's like it's kind of all negative side, like those things. I hope we move away from them, but yeah, it becomes so personal and so like intrinsic to someone's identity that then you can't criticize it or even kind of like talk about it as it's just a movie, like you're not allowed to do that because it was not. It's codependency, and yes it's codependency.
Speaker 5: It's a problem, and people don't recognize it as codependency because it's been normalized so much, especially on online circles. I mean, I guess my my large thoughts about I Saw the TV Glow are that On our podcast oftentimes, you know, we talked about teen girl movies, we talked about coming of age movies. I'm in my thirties now, maybe you know a Cinderella story is not that bad. But I tell you what, when you're like of when you're past a certain age, that is a nothing burger of a I'm like, maybe I'm just a little too old to watch I Saw the TV Glow. Maybe it's been a long fifteen years of not being an indoor kid for me. That makes this movie just interesting in a way that I appreciate. So I lost days of sleep after that movie came out, because I was like, oh god, I'm staring down the barrel of a yeah, a movie I don't like.
Speaker 1: Oh totally this is and I really appreciate you talking about it because I so know that that is.
Speaker 2: Like I've absolutely had that.
Speaker 1: Feeling where it's like I don't like the queer thing that everybody likes.
Speaker 5: And like this is common for me. I often don't like the queer things everyone likes.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I love Bejing. What you said about people.
Speaker 1: I mean, anyone who listens to this podcast knows how many people came out in twenty twenty because so many people that's been their story. And it's not just the insideness that I think made a lot of it very shall we say self folks, which makes sense, you know, like you're you're inside with yourself, you're gonna be self focused. But it's also a lot of baby clears. It's also like a lot of really new and harmony. You're someone who I mean, Bja, you mentioned your episode Harmony. You transitioned like many many, many many years ago, so you're like so far ahead, yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean by.
Speaker 5: The time this comes out, it'll be about fifteen years on the dot.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, okay, So and for anyone who for I feel like if I'm familiar with the idea at least of I saw the Tuva glam like everybody must be right because I don't even watch her. But is it is it a I've seen some discourse quote unquote, is it oh, directly overtly like this is a trans story or is it more subtle?
Speaker 5: Because I have seen it is not subtle. So here's funny, though there are cis people who completely miss that.
Speaker 2: It's okay, it's just about the safety.
Speaker 7: Of nostalgia and comfort in nostalgia. That's the storytelling device to get you there. But like, this is one of those things where if you know even remotely what you're looking for, it is like a flashing red light in front of your face.
Speaker 5: It is zed.
Speaker 1: But then I have heard some people be like, I don't know if and I'm like, wait, now I'm confused to someone who hasn't seen it, because reading the synopsis on Wikipedia, I'm like, this is just this is what it's about.
Speaker 5: The main character played by Justice Smith literally wears a dress in this movie and then goes, no, I don't like this. I'm scared and then runs back into the closet like this movie's really fucking obvious about what it's about. Right.
Speaker 4: I did make a TikTok about this because every once in a while I wade into the discourse. Mind's always a mistake. I don't know why, yeah, especially on that end. But I made a video because people were like, I don't understand how many ciscritics are like not seeing this, And so the explanation that I gave people is that when you are marginalized in some way, shape or form, the way I like to compare it is it's like being able to speak another language. Like if you are somebody who can speak English and Spanish, there is a high probability that you will be probably okay in trying to understand something similar like Italian. You're not going to know the language inside it out. Yeah, you're not going to understand the language like perfectly, but you're going to be able to infer that grazi is probably similar to grassius and it does mean the same thing. And so a lot of like cis straight critics are not able to speak the inherent language that like a lot of queer people can speak. So they're not seeing it in this movie, whereas when we watch it, we're like, oh, yeah, this is speaking my language, like that's what's happening. That's why they're missing it because they don't know how to speak this language. But for us, we're all fluent, so we're like, what do you mean you don't understand what's happening?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yeah, because my understanding until I read a couple of like tweets or poll coats or whatever, I was like, oh, wow, this is like a trans horror movie. And then I would see some people being like, I mean, it's not like over and I was like, now I'm confused.
Speaker 2: So it's good to know that it's just good old fashioned over the head.
Speaker 1: Yeah for some people, and har harmony was your kind of main issue or not, whatever was what you did not enjoy about it? Was it that it felt kind of like rudimentary or like hitting it over the head, or like, what was your take on it that it didn't really Yes, yeah, yes to all of that.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean, okay, so I don't I don't know if this is it for everybody else, but I certainly don't think the right way to watch a movie is just to say yeah, I get it, with increasing volume and frustration for most of the movies run time of like yeah, I get it, it just doesn't work for me. Like I wrote over three thousand words about my feelings on this, especially because this is a period piece. It starts in the nineties and then moves up to you know, presumably the modern day. It's a little vague about it, but no, I mean I came out is trans in the two thousands. I know what it was like. I was there, and this is not exactly what it was like. But then again, this character doesn't actually ever come out spoilers, I guess for this scared straight story that's actually about trying to scare you gay. I don't know. It's so it is so on the nose, it is so I don't know. I'm trying to be nice about this because I don't I don't want to upset anyone.
Speaker 1: Will it be like people, you know, like, assuming the earth makes it another fifty or so years, will it be like, oh, this was kind of the first I don't know if mainstream is the right way, but like trans horror movie and like we can you know, enjoy it for what it was, but like, wow, it was very like isn't that kind of a thing where years will be like one.
Speaker 5: Of those things where it's like, oh my god, it's aged so badly, and I'm like, no, I think this is gonna age just fine. I think it's gonna be one of these things. Like the whole point of the movie that the seeing the TV glows and watching a Buffy the Vampire Slayer type show and just being like, oh my god, I saw something of myself in that. And then you get a little older and you try to rewatch it and you go, oh, this wasn't as bold and ambitious as I thought it was. This is kind of a baby show for babies. It's kind of like corny and bad, right, Like the ice cream Man is just a man in a mask, and he's not scary like I thought he was when I was a kid. I think that I should hope that people will go, yeah, I know this meant a lot to me at the time, but they will seek out other queer horror, they will seek out other queer media. They will grow beyond this story, is my hopes for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's very much. That's very much how I operate, which you know, Harmony and I talk about coming of age stories all the time on our show because that's the whole point of it. And there are movies that I look back on that I loved as a teenager, like I loved Freaky Friday with Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lahman. I still do to this day, but you look back at it as an adult and you're like, wow, this movie is also like pretty racist against Asian people and treating like ancient Chinese magic as like a plot device.
Speaker 2: And I've never seen that interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's how they switch is it's through like magic fortune cookies, and it's like, okay, well that's something. But when you're thirteen, a lot of times you're not going to like process that. So you can look at it as adult and you can love something critically and go, okay, I love this movie, and it's also like kind of problematic. I think that this movie of I Saw the TV Glow is so important because of what it means to so many people right now, Like I think this is a perfect trans movie for the time here that we are in right now with this big boom. I mean, Jane Shoon Brun started writing this movie when they started transitioning, and I think it shows and I don't necessarily think that that is a bad thing. I don't think it's a bad thing at all. It's going to resonate with a lot of people.
Speaker 5: It's them processing it, so we have a similar journey, a similar starting point to where we are now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I also understand why this movie would then not resonate with somebody like harmony or like yeah, countless other people who were like, yeah, this is this has not been new for me for a very long time. All of these feelings that you're processing I processed a decade ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I get it so interesting. I didn't know it was a filmmaker who was also a baby queer like that. Yeah, Okay, that's really interesting. Yeah, because it's just like people, And that is what I'm seeing mostly at least on my timeline, is people having these like really sort of like beautiful in ten connections to it. But that makes sense if they're in the same place as the filmmaker. Like I wasn't aware. That's really interesting, Okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I had people listening to this understand that like it again, it's not a criticism of them, Like if this movie speaks to you and like this was eye opening and magical, like that's incredible, that's your experience. Harmony's experience does not then negate your experience, like life is not a zero sum game. That's not how this works. And so like I think that's what then becomes frustrating because also like if we critique this movie publicly, one, it feels like we're critiquing our community, which is like never a fun experience. Two, it feels like, you know, critiquing art from you know, a filmmaker who was telling a story that like most studios are too afraid to tell because we know this, the studios never take the right message from anything. If people critique this movie, it doesn't become like, oh, maybe we should give money to trans people who've been out for a long time and hear their experience it because let's never let a transperson make a movie ever again. And it's like that's not what we're saying here.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, this is yeah, the horrors that I tend to appreciate the things that I find the most upsetting about this world that we live in, and what I like to see in my dramas and horrors and all of my sad miserable things like British teleplays from the seventies and eighties.
Speaker 5: I like stuff that's tangible, and the horror of I saw the TV glow is so entirely internal. It's just it's all internal struggle. You are your own worst enemy. Eventually, your homophobic dad played by Fred Durst dies and he doesn't have any control over you anymore. But you're just you are your own worst enemy. You are preventing yourself from coming out. And that's just not the world that I live in. I think that that is so important as like a story for a lot of online spaces right now, but like, yeah, where's all of the people who have just been out there having to make it work in the walking world?
Speaker 2: I want? This is fascinating.
Speaker 5: I want more of that. I want something seasoned. I want something tangible. I want I feel like something that I appreciate about, particularly miserable films that I watch. I was watching Alan Clark's Scum last night, and it's a phenomenal, upsetting, nasty movie about a boy's prison basically, but there's something about certain misery that I see that I go Okay, cool, I'm not crazy, right, because the misery we're talking about with I saw the TV glows like a general sense of horrors, like oh, it filled me with existential dread. I feel these feelings, and I don't feel any of the feelings that everyone is describing because so much so beyond that, I don't even know if there's a point in my life where this ever would have been the exact right movie for me, because I've just never been a terribly like online child. I've never been one person to be consumed by like a television show. Personally.
Speaker 1: It came out before online was a NonStop presence in our Like everything we're saying, make so much of mine was a.
Speaker 5: Place that you was at your house and then you get up, and then you go somewhere and the online stays there. So I feel like I.
Speaker 2: Was still I agree.
Speaker 5: I would love that. I just feel like what I want to see and what I like to see in my horrors, queer textually or queer subtextually is something that feels more like what I recognize as a as a as a form of suffering or horror or misery or pain that I look at it and go Okay, I'm not the only one feeling this. I don't feel crazy.
Speaker 4: Something that Harmony said this would have been probably like four years ago at this point that I think about all the time is Harmony and I were talking heads for a Shutter docuseries. So it's on the streaming up Shutter or I think you can also get it through like AMC plus. It's called Queer for Fear. It was originally supposed to be longer. We only got like four episodes, which was a bummer. So there's like a ton of like really great material that I know wasn't used. But one of the questions they asked all of us is like, when did you see yourself in a horror movie for the first time? My answer was Elvira, because I very much love Cassandra Peterson, who plays Alvira, is under She perpetuates the character as an androgynous character. And the reason she' views it, yeah, she says Alvira is androgynist because Alvira is the inverse of these like very famous androgynoist people we look to, like David Bowie or Mick Jagger, who are very clearly men, but there's something very soft about them, where She's like, Elvira is very clearly like fem woman, but there's something very hard about her, and so that ru Yeah, I really opened up my eyes about like, yes, Elvira is my gender. So I talk about that, and then they asked Harmony the same question. And I don't want to answer for you, but what was your answer? Because I think about it NonStop.
Speaker 5: It was twenty eight days later starting Killing Killian Murphy twenty eight days Later is one of the best zombie movies ever made. It's one of my favorite horror movies ever made. So it's a movie that's it's British. It starts with Killian Murphy waking up. He'd been hooked up to like machines and life support for a long time in a hospital, but now he is like emaciated and the machines are off and he is in a world that he does understand. There is no one around. It is a desolate London. He's like, I'm confused. I just got out of the hospital. Where do I go. He goes to a church and it's full of dead bodies and a priest tries to kill him, and then he finds out that the whole world is infected by these running zombie rage monsters who bleed blood out of their eyes and are very violent, and the only safe haven that he can find is amongst a black woman, a daughter, and a loving father, and they have to fight the small armed forces of the British military who are trying to establish order. So it is about a guy who wakes up in a hospital who has this thin wayfish figure, is immediately attacked by the church and has to fend off the hyper masculinity of the government. And I basically emotionally prepared myself since a young age where I'm like, oh, yes, this is what I This are the threats that I experience. These are the threats that I fear in the world. Vampires, I'm not afraid of vampires. Vampires aren't real. Michael Myers, He's just a guy. I'm not afraid of, just a guy. Jaws. Sharks are kind of scary, but sharks are also cool. I don't go in the water, and you're fine, Like that's manageable, you know, it's all well, all of the threats and fears are either not real or perfectly manageable, Versus this one where it's like, oh no, this is extremely real. Maybe the rage monsters aren't, but who knows. Maybe someone just walking down the street will decide to try to murder me on a whim and I have to We'll have to hold them down and scream while I plunge my thumbs into their eyes, and that's either kill or be killed. And that's what the world feels like to me. Is this movie this wow?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So no, no, no, no no, but this is making so much sense because you compare something like that to I saw the TV glow, And what it sounds like we're having is one of those good old fashioned generational divides, which is like the young ones even though they are not growing up in what I would at all call a benevolent world, but we've become so divided that there is a huge, thank god, faction of the world that is incredibly affirming and queer forward and all that soun it's online and you did not have that.
Speaker 2: So like if you, people are.
Speaker 1: Way more able, especially like you're saying, DJFA came out, you know, during lockdown and like a lot of this kind of self focus and isolation stuff. People are better able to insulate, especially if they're in well exclusively I guess if they're in a safe area, Like if your physical form is safe because you live in like a very blue city or whatever it is, you can create a nice little safe bubble of queerness, of transness.
Speaker 2: You did not have that growing up.
Speaker 1: So a movie that exists in that bubble from a filmmaker who wrote it as part of their coming up, Like, that's not going to relate to you at all, Like you're not gonna.
Speaker 5: Especially because you know, twenty eight Days Later comes out right before nine to eleven. I see it after nine to eleven. So then we have to deal with like the uh, jingoistic raw rah put a boot in your asset. It's the American way that we view the world. So the military is seen as like this extremely powerful school aspirational thing. You can't criticize the troops, and yet this movie is all like, no, the troops are evil people, like they want to assert order by force, and they hate women and only see them for breeding. And it's just it came out at the exact right time where I'm like, no, but this is this feels more like what I remember the two thousands being like I saw the TV blow. It takes place in the two thousands, but it's not the two thousands.
Speaker 1: That it's written by someone who was coming who is was coming out, is coming out, someone.
Speaker 5: Who would have been there, but they were not experiencing the two thousands. It was displayed in I saw the TV glow that I remember the two thous.
Speaker 1: They're writing their version of what they feel like now, but kind.
Speaker 2: Of placing it back when you were coming out. So it's like, oh, that's written, So it's discordant.
Speaker 1: God, that's so fucking fascinating, and I'm not getting any You're You'll be shocked to find out I'm not hearing any of that nuance online.
Speaker 5: Twitter is not a great place for that. It has a character limit. That's why I tend to not put my big thoughts on Twitter. I save them for like medium. On the rare occasion I feel like writing four thousand words on a topic because therapy is not big enough for the discussions I want to have.
Speaker 1: I'd love I have to go back and I'll have to reread the Wikipedia synopsis, and then I do want to look at your at your pieces that you wrote on this, because I am so curious about and I guess another question that I have so is so queerness primarily correct me if I'm wrong, But it feels like sexuality more than gender. Although then I think of something like Psycho and I'm like, is that kind of about gender? Like, I don't know, but queerness sexuality is now queerness in.
Speaker 2: Horror gonna be looking more.
Speaker 1: At gender and transness as opposed to site like, is that where horror is going?
Speaker 2: Is this the first one of that?
Speaker 5: Is this a dumb clas It is not a dumb question, that's an excellent question. So I think that gender so horror as a genre is not the kindest genre to gender. I would argue it's probably the meanest genre in terms of discussing transnis in general, and that includes sex comedies. Dating back to Alfred Hitchcock's Murder, there have been like the cross dressing killer type. It got much more famous with Psycho and a million Psycho knockoffs. You had Brian de Palmer essentially remaking Psycho in nineteen eighty with Dressed to Kill. You got Silence of the Lambs about a decade later, and that went into the Library of Congress and won like every Academy award. So it's seen as like culturally really really important, and it is all these films have queerness being processed through straight people. That's oftentimes where the trans or gender bending of a monster kinds of comes into play. It's almost exclusively straight syce men doing this. You know, well, we'll say, we'll put quotes on that, and maybe the case of Alfred Hitchcock, but you know it is what, you know, we'll leave that there. Right about now is when you're starting to see prominent examples of transn's displayed in horror as like a literal, tangible thing and it coming from queer voices. There there are outlier liars like Richard O'Brien wrote Rocky Horror Picture Show, and Richard O'Brien is, you know, a very old gay who has been on hormones and doing they are his own gender journey for a lot. And I love Richard O'Brien for all of this. Yeah, so there's been examples of this, but they are few and far between. I think that one of the reasons we're seeing it right now is that it's becoming much more normalized, but also because of the increasing hostility towards trans people, it is an exciting thing for people to have as a as a storytelling element, whether that be like Hunter Schaeffer in Cuckoo coming out this year, and that movie Hunter Shaffer does not play a trans character, but Hunter Schaeffer is trans, so therefore the film itself, yeah trans sheen to it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is that the Dan Stevens one, Yes, and he.
Speaker 5: Is such a little weirdo in it.
Speaker 2: I love Okay, Okay, cool cool cool.
Speaker 5: So you start to get stuff like that. You get Jamie Clayton in the Hell with Razor remake, you have Sam Levinson's Assassination Nation, which is kind of horror adjacent, but you get horror.
Speaker 2: Yes, I forgot about that one.
Speaker 5: Okay, is eventually a horror movie because it's basically the purge.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: There's also there's trans masculine characters in Talk to Me and Evils and Rise, like.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, Evil dece is so good.
Speaker 4: Evil Dress is very fun. So the thing though, too, is that with horror, especially especially when it comes to gender, if it wasn't like cross dressing killer tropes, which are you know, yeah, that's its own category to even discuss. But there is also so many trans reads that can be made to a lot of horror movies. A lot of body horror movies can be read as trans Werewolf movies are often read as trans Like Zoe Luna, who is a transactor. She was in like the Craft Legacy, She's been in a bunch of stuff. She has talked about how the werewolf movie Ginger Snaps, which a lot of people look at as like this is like a very feminist werewolf movie, which it is because it's about two sisters. But there's a scene in there where after the main girl is attacked by a werewolf, she starts growing a tale and yeah, and like body hair, and she and her sister are like trying to find ways to hide the tail and hide the hair that she's growing. And Zoe has talked about how like watching that scene, she's like, oh, yeah, that's what dysphoria feels like to me. And so there's all these really rich reads that can be found within a lot of the text. And I go back and forth on this because obviously, like canonical representation is very very important, but I also think that something is lost when we don't allow for like reads, because there are some like a movie like Jennifer's Body, for example, Jennifer's Body is very clearly like a bisexual movie. Jennifer is a bisexual. We know this, she goes both ways. We know this about her, but she never says out loud, I am bisexual. And I think that is a good thing, because then this character also then can be read as like, okay, but maybe she is just like a high fem lesbian who's experiencing a little bit of compet and that's why she's still fucking meant for fun, which is exactly what I.
Speaker 1: Did in Good Yeah, Oh my god, Oh this is fascinating and so.
Speaker 4: And so when you don't have somebody say like, hi, my name is you know, Jordan, and I am a non binary, DEMI, bisexual or whatever, then that allows people who identify outside of those labels to also see themselves in these characters, because the more specific you get, the more isolating these characters become. Which is, you know, Harmony and I wrote a book, uh, Sleepwoy Camp Fordidi Books, and sleep Away Camp is considered to be like the you know, kind of the grandmother of a lot of trans horror because Angela Baker spoiler alert for a forty year old movie, but the end of Sleepway Camp reveals that Angela Baker, Oh my god, she's a boy, and you see full frontal nudity. And so because they never say until the second and third movies, then Angela does canonically become a trans woman and transitions fully. But in this first movie, because they never say Angela is a trans character, there are so many people who are able to interpret, like, I think this character is non binary. It's somebody who is dealing with, like, you know, multiple experiences of gender or a lack of gender completely. The trans woman read is obviously way more obvious. But then I've also even seen people say, like, I think that this is a trans masque story because it's about a boy in the you know what, in a body that is perceived as a woman by everybody else, fighting to get out, and all of those reads POQ will wait because the movie never gives you a definitive answer. And so that's one of the things we write about in our book is how like all of the reads and interpretations people have of this story, they're all kind of right, because a read is just an interpretation. It's not the definitive answer of like, what is happening in this movie? And so I think it's like such a juicy movie to talk about because of that, because it means so much to so many different people, and I wish that we had more of that in Horror, but because everybody's like, you need to define exactly what this character is otherwise it's weird.
Speaker 2: Baiting, like the period of Drenched.
Speaker 1: This is so interesting because what it is is, this is what society, our queer culture is really going through right now, is the push and pull of the importance and validation of like when people say, oh my god, when that character said in episode five out loud, like I'm a lesbian.
Speaker 2: That was so incredibly meaningful to me, like she named it, she said it.
Speaker 1: So we have that side of things, and then we have the side of things you're talking about, and those two things they.
Speaker 9: Don't have to necessarily be at odds, but right now, at least online, they're so at odds, like they feel like two like warring, like West Side story style, and it's like they don't have to, like there's room for both, but everyone's very entrenched in their own opinions right now, shockingly, So that's really interesting to hear that. It's like your preference for leaving it open versus some people who so want to hear the word that they they want to hear their micro label, not you the inside of micro label, but they want to hear their micro label set out loud.
Speaker 2: It's God, that's a really.
Speaker 1: Interesting like tension going on right now in general.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think part of it is that, like we have a wealth of spoils right now, Like there are so many queer things that are so clearly defined as queer things, whereas back in you know, you know, the nineties, two thousands, when we were growing up, there were so many things that weren't and you kind of had to get clever about it, or or.
Speaker 2: Wait till Sweeps Week.
Speaker 1: It was two weeks of sweets Week and the girls kissed in the hot tub and you were like, that's it for the year, yep.
Speaker 5: Or you would get something where it's like okay, people were like, oh my god, that genderbent episode of Johnny test and I'm like, well, that's a generational divide. I remember watching the video for the Fertelli's Chelsea Dagger, and this is part where it flashes between the singer of the band and this hot burlesque lady and they're wearing the same outfit and it's like, huh, that's interesting. Yeah, that's kind of it.
Speaker 1: That was the extent. Oh my god, yeah yeah, Wed, this really does. It makes me feel like a crotchety elder queer, which I feel like often or honestly most of the time nowadays. So this is validating from my identity, my micro label of.
Speaker 2: A quat the elder queer.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 2: I'm keeping an eye on the time.
Speaker 1: So before we wrap up, I want to, obviously I want you both to plug your podcast your book and say where you can individually be followed. But is there anything we didn't cover that you want to like, any movies you want to shout out that we didn't get to or something, or just like any yeah, any queer horror stuff that we didn't sort of touch on before before we go.
Speaker 5: I mean, there's so so many things I'm bad at recalling movies just on a whim like that. Let's just say Angel, Angel's the best movie you ever made. And that's probably not true, but I say it, and I'm not going to stop saying it. Angel's best movie you ever made.
Speaker 4: And I've never heard of it.
Speaker 5: It's from nineteen eighty three, It's about a teenage girl who works the streets. The tagline for the movie is on a role student by day, Hollywood hooker by night, and she ends up being befriended. It's something. She gets befriended by an old drag queen and or transsex worker named May who's modeled after May West, and you never say explicitly what she is, because again we go with loose definition, and they're best friends, surrogate family with like a senile old cowboy who does like signings and tricks on the Hollywood strip named Kit Carson. You have an old landlord who's a lesbian with two sets of eyebrows that smokes and yells at May, and they bicker like an old married couple despite the fact that they're both clearly gay and just best friends. And also there's a serial killer who's trying to kill sex workers, and that's kind of what the horror of the movie it is.
Speaker 2: That's what the eighties was in general.
Speaker 1: I feel like like there's always a serial killer trying to kill sex workers.
Speaker 4: Unfortunate about how but.
Speaker 5: It's about friendship and it's looking out for each other. People of the Knights looking out for each other, protecting each other that you don't need. You know, cops don't have any feelings because they're just damn dirty cops. And like, this movie's marvelous. Is the best movies, every very cool, super tight script. And also queer people get the chance to actually fight for their lives and stand a chance. And I just appreciate that, even if it doesn't always work out. Right.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love that, Okay, and shall all right? Thank you.
Speaker 4: Then the movie that I'm going to recommend because the last time I was on here I talked about bit Yeah everyone has since scene. But a movie that I highly recommend everyone check out is actually a documentary and it is called Scream Comma Queen. So Scream Queen and the documentary, Yeah, the posters behind Harmony's said, but it is a documentary about the actor Mark Patton, who plays Jesse Walsh in a Nightmare and Elm Street Part two Freddy's Revenge namer An Elm Street Part two. Freddy's Revenge is very much a gay movie. Freddy is essentially an allegory for gay feelings and keeping them closeted.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: We gotta do a whole other episode.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, Freddy is also a drag character. If people don't know that, Freddy Krueger is Robert England's drag character, the same way that Elvira is Cassandra Peterson's drag character.
Speaker 2: But okay, this is wild.
Speaker 4: But Nightmare Part two is equal parts a gay movie and an extremely homophobic movie. And they and they cast Mark Patten in this role, who was gay and was not out at the time, and the documentary is about how playing this role has been both the best and worst thing that ever happened to him, because it was great in that it helped a lot of other people like see themselves and come out and whatever. But also this movie kind of ruined his career because then everybody was like, oh, you're that gay guy from that gay movie.
Speaker 5: In the eighties.
Speaker 4: In the eighties, and Mark Patten, luckily is still with us to this day. He is, you know, living with aids, but live in his best life, you know, the best of his ability, which is you know, very interesting. But the documentary is fantastic and I highly recommend it, and it's a great piece of learning about queer horror history.
Speaker 1: Oh god, these are great recommendations. Thank you so much. Okay, and where can people find you both individually and listen to your podcast?
Speaker 2: And yeah, and the book that we mentioned.
Speaker 4: Sure, So I write every day at slash Film. I also have an article in the most recent issue of Thangoriam magazine. It's the one with art the clown just like Santa on the cover if you find it on your newsstands, which is exciting and fun. But This Ends Up Prom is the show that Harmony and I do where we talk about coming of age stories about or marketed towards teen girl audiences. You can find it where're you get your podcasts. We have a Patreon, Patreon dot com, backslash This endp prom all forms of social media at This Ends Up Prom, and I'm on all forms of social media at my name BJ Colangelo.
Speaker 5: BJ is so good at plugging stuff I write occasionally, but in the event that you see it, you'll see it on social media. It's not it doesn't have a home like slash film, but I'm around at Instagram and Twitter, at Veloca, trapter on places. BJ does mostly the online stuff, as if you've not learned from this episode, online as.
Speaker 4: Harmony is chronically offline that is, which is God's the better of us for the.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would rather have solitude than the internet yelling.
Speaker 1: That is such a wise, wise choice that I have not made.
Speaker 4: Our book is available at Die Die Books or you can get the e reader version at Amazon for the kindle. But sleep Away Camp is in a very fun academic text is the way that I'll put it, Like, you're going to learn something about history.
Speaker 5: You're going to learn deep in this movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, about how this movie has been you know, reclaimed and you know rejected across you know, depending on whatever's going on politically. That seems to be how people feel about this movie. And there well, there are also the two final chapters in this book are purely written by harmony, and I think that that is worth the cost of the book itself talking about because I believe it and it's about you know, transness in horror and also how people in horror treat transcritics and trans voices. So yeah, Ddie books dot com is where you can get it.
Speaker 2: Very cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh my gosh, and I as you know at Lauren Flans on Twitter and Blue Sky Lauren underscar Plans on Instagram. Uh. The pod is at Coming Up pot everywhere. Hey, you can write a review on iTunes or I think Spotify.
Speaker 2: Lets you write reviews.
Speaker 1: Now. You can certainly look at that we are evolving. You can certainly given five stars. That's even easier. And yeah, yeah, everybody a very happy and.
Speaker 2: Very queer Halloween.
Speaker 1: Thank you Bost so much. This was an absolute blast. Anti y'all listening, I will yeah, I'll see you the next.
Speaker 2: Time I see you.
Speaker 1: I want to do a post election episode. So that is that is the current plan for whatever happens. I would like to talk about it on the podcast. All right, y'all, Happy, happy, spooky Halloween, and see you next time. Bye.