Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker, The Dodger's longest road trip changes scenes. We're in Arizona with the Dodgers Captain, the one and only Austin Barnes. Thanks a lot for the time, Barnes appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for having me on be I say, it's always a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Is it awkward when Taoscar Hernandez is doing his rehab and we're doing this pregame interview?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't he keep staring at me all funny? I don't. I don't. I don't want him hear my interview. You can't hear nothing.
Speaker 1: Why does he have his hands on his hips? Is he tired already?
Speaker 2: It's a big nan Huh, it's a yeah, that's a big man.
Speaker 1: How great of a teammate is Tioscar Hernandez.
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 3: He's uh, you know, he's always He's the same guy every day. He's always happy, unusually happy all the time.
Speaker 2: Like nothing bothers him. Uh.
Speaker 3: He's got a slow tempo, so you know, he's a great Teammate's been great to know him.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the stuff he's been doing on the field has been awesome.
Speaker 1: You've been here since twenty fifteen. Is he one of those unique teammates that brings that type of energy every day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, he.
Speaker 3: Brings his own energy, is authentic, He doesn't try to be somebody he's not, and that man can really drive a drive.
Speaker 2: A runner in from second base. That strick he's been on is crazy.
Speaker 1: Austin Barnes is our guest before first pitch between the Dodgers and Diamondbacks. Yamamoto is on the mound today. Barnes, Why has he been so good?
Speaker 2: Why has he.
Speaker 1: Taken it to the next level.
Speaker 3: I think he's doing more stuff. I think he's his confidence in throwing the pitch inside is a lot higher. I think he's locating up and end affecting them. And the spliitping has always been pretty good, but it's the cutter has been a lot better this year.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying better. I think it's more confident.
Speaker 3: I think his conviction is it a lot better so and I think he's more comfortable his second year. You know, in the States, how he pitching the you know, one of the toughest places you could pitch in New York in the World Series. You know, and you know, he did great. So I think he's got all the confidence the world, which should he's He's probably one of the best pitchers in the game.
Speaker 1: A lot of these guys that won their first World Series title with you last year. Is there something to be said when you come back the next year and you can say world champion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially after the you know, the first one too. You know, it's, uh, those games are real high intensity. I think it's uh, you know, it's it takes a lot out of you. I think that, you know, the the offseason, especially for pitchers, I think that you know, the bullpen who gets used in those high leverage situations, they you know, they feel it a little bit more than in the offseason the next year.
Speaker 2: But now we're excited. I think we started off pretty good.
Speaker 3: But you know, obviously we've had our ups and downs, but I feel like we're heading in the gard right direction.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers have the best record in baseball, and everybody's asking what's wrong with the Dodgers. Do you feel like the ceiling is that much higher for you guys? Do you feel like, once you hit your stride, you're going to be tough to beat?
Speaker 2: I mean that's how it's always been here.
Speaker 3: You know, everybody expects us to win every game, and we expect to win every game. But yeah, I think it's uh, you know, there's high expectations for this team. I think, uh, you know, the fans demand us to you know, win, especially since they got to taste you know, which this team's been really successful for the last ten years or so. And then but yeah, you know, I think when we hit our stride and all some guys are hurt right now that you know we're a dangerous team, I think we could beat it. Obviously, we can beat any team anytime.
Speaker 1: Speaking of a lot of teams and the standard you guys have had had a chance to check in with your former teammate Ross Strippling earlier today. He just retired last week. What do you remember the most about Ross as a teammate.
Speaker 3: There's probably two. Ross was a great teammate, but two like incidents. It was probably when he threw behind Stan and he and he just looked down the whole time, and it was if I remember, I got it in front of standing and his wife said thank you to me after the game. But besides that, I remember he pinched r Into. I hit like a walk off double and he scored it. I liked his little jogg around around the basis, But no, he was a great teammate, Still really close with Ross, congratulating on a.
Speaker 2: Great career and for his next chapter.
Speaker 1: Did you think you were going to stop Stanton if he really wanted to go out there.
Speaker 2: I would have.
Speaker 3: I would have been a small speed bump, right, But that's that's also another big man, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah he is. Austin Barnes is our guest in front of first pitch between the Dodgers and Diamondbacks, being Will Smith's backup catcher. Not as easy as it seems. Austin, how have you been able to keep your timing at the plate and still being engaged when you get those opportunities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I've been in the same position for a while now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sometimes you know the timing is better than other days, but you try to go out there and you know, get on time with the pitcher.
Speaker 2: Really, you know, I think hitting and and all.
Speaker 3: That stuff is people for you know, think about mechanics all the time, but you know timing is an important part of it. And yeah, you know, you just try to go out there. Try to be as consistent as you can. You know, it's tough, it's not you know, there's no excuses on you know, playing time or anything like that. Like I said, I've been in the same role for a while now and I know what I know did entails. So but yeah, you go out there, you just try to win the games you play. That's I think that's the mingle.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go being a proud Arizona State Sun Devil. You're further removed from your college days than you were when you first got here. Have they retired your number yet? What's going on at Arizona State in Austin Barnes?
Speaker 2: Is that Andre Ether your question? Did he did he phone in right now? No? I know they're I'm not sure how they're doing anything.
Speaker 3: Statue no statue, but I'm not sure how they're doing. Yeah, a lot of pride for being a Sun Devil. It was great times there. I love Arizona.
Speaker 1: Did you catch at Arizona State?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's when the when Pat Murphy made me a catcher. He likes to remind me of that too, But you should get him on one day.
Speaker 2: Talk to him.
Speaker 1: Very intense guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was I like funning for Murph and but yeah, he made me a catcher and that's what I played in college.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, when Austin Barnes was traded to the Dodgers, we heard about this young guy that played second basic catcher. But he's found a home. Holy smokes, barn what do you got there on your left arm? It's black and blue?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that that guy hit a fell Wolf Mountain arm yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's okay, it's just part of it. But it uh yeah, it's like a little ah got it was a little stinger. You just move on though, all right.
Speaker 1: That's why you're tough. That's why everybody loves you. Thanks a lot for the time, and you will receive a gift card to Canan Sunglasses.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. Oh, thank you. I can't wait. There he goes.
Speaker 1: Austin Barnes has been our guest, playing hurt with a bruised left arm doing this interview.