Speaker 1: Bad Buddy. Welcome to Gay Mess Mornings with Me Mike Minatti, your host from giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about Perfect Dark being canceled, Hell Divers Too is coming to Xbox, and they did our boy Romero Dirty. It's gonna be going because we have Aj Minatti on this show. Aj, how is it going? Thank you for joining me here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh, it's it's a day, you know, not too much to talk about, so we'll fill the air somehow, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we'll figure it out. Uh, it's okay. You know, we had we had Kayla on yesterday. So I think it's just nepotism week.
Speaker 3: You're a giant Bomb unstrong, you're at a giant bump.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Having depotism the same week as Fourth of July seems fitting somehow. Actually, So let me get.
Speaker 2: In front of this right now. I did not make the Dead Dog Pog. That was the other brother.
Speaker 1: Oh the other probably did the Dead Dog Pog, which I hate to say, it has a ring to it. Terrible thing to say. Yeah, you saw a movie yesterday. Multiple times, You're like, all right, you're coming to the movie, and I'm like, no, I gotta work. I gotta admit, I have no idea what movie you were talking about.
Speaker 3: What did you see a Goofy movie?
Speaker 1: Oh? It was still that. Yeah, they're playing uh.
Speaker 2: Our second theater in town is doing a new classic every week. So I took the kids to see a Goofy movie and we had a grand old time.
Speaker 1: It still hit.
Speaker 3: Oh it hit very hard, very very hard.
Speaker 1: Did your whole family see eye to ee on it?
Speaker 2: Yes, we did, and we listened to each other's hearts.
Speaker 1: All right, that's good. Make a bunch of old movies there. I have to look at that schedule and figure it out.
Speaker 2: It's Independence Day this weekend. Shocking enough, but what people get?
Speaker 1: Madmy, I have never seen that movie.
Speaker 3: That's right, you haven't. I should.
Speaker 1: It was a scary movie because all they kept showing in the previews was them blowing up the White House, which now I find actually pretty uplifting, but at the time, let's terrified. Yeah, it seems like a really scary thing. So I don't know. I just assumed it was horror. Independence so I don't Yeah, maybe'll say you know, you know me, my preferred Fourth of July movie is usually either National Treasure or seventeen seventy six, the nineteen seventies musical about the signing of the Declaration of Independence with that guy from Boy Meet's World as John Adams. Yes, Yeah, that's the stuff that hits. That's the stuff that really hits. All right, let's get into things Before we do that, let's explain our So this is Giant Bomb, a small team of video game dupe this says, who rely on your support so that we can make cool stuff. If you want to help, go to giant bomb dot com slash join. It gets you Afrey shows and some other extras. That's giant bomb dot com slash Join most weekdays. Jeff Grub not me will help you piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide experts or available close family member who will make me look smart. If you're watching live on twitch welcome, you can always listen to the show later on podcasts feeds by searching for Games Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giantbom dot com. You can also catch the show later on YouTube. Hello YouTube, We have a lot to get into it, so let's start the morning mess with xboxes Quadruple A Perfect Dark reboot canceled developer shutting down by Cameron Kosh at Games Spots, Xbox is Perfect Dark reboot, first announced in twenty twenty two, has been canceled this developer. The initiative is also shutting down Microsoft. That's confirmed, first reported by Windows Central and corroborated by Bloomberg Report Jacent Schreier. The cancelation of Perfect Dark and closing in the initiative come as part of Microsoft's latest round of layoffs, which are affecting an estimated four percent of the company's workforce. That translates to around nine thousand people losing their jobs, many of them across Microsoft's various gaming studios. The initiative was formed at twenty eighteen and based in Santa Monica. Built as a quadruple A studio, it was led by Formal Crystal Dynamic Studio had Daryl Gallagher and made up of developers Respawn, Bio, Our Naughty, Dugan Moore. Twenty twenty one, the initiative announced a partner with Crystal Dynamics, developer in the most recent tomb Rator games, to assist on the Perfect Dark reboot. Players got their first look at Perfect Dark game play in twenty twenty four as part of that year's Xbox Games Showcase, a trailer that I was really excited. I thought it looked great aj at least for me. This has maybe been the most shocking developments of all these terrible Xbox layoffs that have been happening since yesterday. Did this news catch you by surprise?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I mean they've been hyping this game out. I'm surprised. Actually, it's only been since twenty twenty two is announced. It feels like it's been in the consciousness for a very long time. Yeah, it was a big part of last year's showcase. You know, they've been hyping out the initiative as this again this Quadruple A developer, which, boy, the Quadruple A games are just really hitting, Mike, aren't they not?
Speaker 1: Ves, don't ever call your project quadruple A. It is right?
Speaker 3: Is that just poison now? Finally?
Speaker 2: Can we stop doing that? But yeah, I mean the gameplay demo it was strong. There's been a lot of people wondering how genuine that was And there was a former level designer from the initiative who's now it's to do MDHR. I'm sorry I didn't write his name down, but he was one of the people who worked in that demo. They said it was genuine an engine gameplay. It's just like if you didn't kind of follow the script it wanted you to, it mostly work. But like obviously there was like an ideal way to play that demo for it to look at its best.
Speaker 3: Uh So, who knows how.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe these reports in the game not coming together are accurate, but boy, that feels like rampant mismanagement from every direction, right.
Speaker 1: So it's an embarrassment. It's such an embarrassment that I'm almost surprised they are willing to go through with it. And uh take that l as it were, because you know, you you talk this studio up like crazy. You promoted this game a good amount until it was suddenly you know, it was odd that it was absent from their showcase just a month ago, but you know they're bringing back a big ip. You have all these people on you even have Crystal Dynamics. They're helping and probably not great news for Crystal Dynamics, which can use the work at the moment. So yeah, it's it's it's embarrassing. Uh, it's evil because of you know, the people who are losing their jobs. It is awful all around. It's a game that I was looking forward to. Least importantly is that I wanted to play this video game. Now that's not going to happen, because it was you know, it looked like it had some mirrors edge, DNA n it. I was getting excited about that just a Really it's it's if the decision happened because they thought they couldn't salvage the game. The shape on them for letting it get there.
Speaker 2: For sure, you know you again, the game already had all this baggage with the whole quadruple. I think like, like, there's this expectation it's got to be this big, bombastic thing that's going to carry the platform, and even that, like you know, since this game was announced, the idea of the Xbox platform is radically shifted, so like it's just like what are we what are we doing here? Like like everyone says like, oh, Xbox doesn't have an identity anymore. And then they they released a string of really good games in the beginning this year, we're like, Okay, they're finding a groove, and like it feels like every time that happens with x every time things seem like they're fixing themselves, the rug gets pulled out from under the whole thing with something like this, Whereas it's like, it doesn't feel good to be an Xbox fan right now.
Speaker 1: Right No, I kind of almost can't imagine it, you're cause I think people were just getting used to Okay, no more exclusives, that's all right, and going board with that. They actually had a pretty good showcase last month, despite some honest with the absence of Perfect Dark and other projects like Fable. We didn't hear anything really much about that game or its studios, so presumably they're fine. But yeah, Xbox is just in a stuper strange place. Nobody feels good about them right now now. You know, I almost hate saying it, Like they can recover from that they kind of have before. Maybe this is going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back for a lot of people. I'm almost like cynically skeptical of that, like they can bounce back. I don't know if they deserve to bounce back, but they can. One more thing here to report from shortly before the debut of Perfect Or Escape Bay Trailer, saying that the reboot of the spy Ps was in bad shape, that the project hadn't really come together despite Crystal Dynamics being brought in to help development. The report that Game Spots referring to here was from Jeff Grubb. I remember at the time many people were very mad at him or said he was he was wrong about that. Jeff is usually not the person going to do this thing, But uh, I will you all need to stop doubting my boy Grub. He is just about always right all the things it's about, always right. So uh, you know, nobody's going to ecrow on that, and you know obviously not. I don't want me to do what I told you so thinking about something so terrible, but yeah, stop uh stop yelling at Jeff for being right.
Speaker 3: Yeah all right.
Speaker 1: Below next up here is Banjo KAZOOI see of the director leaves Rare after thirty five years following the Everwild cancelation. This is by Andy Robinson at VGC. Greg Males, Rare's most experienced and influential game designer will leave the company after more than thirty five years, sources have told VGC. According to multiple people at the studio who spoke to VGC anonymously, Males will leave Rare following news of Everwild's cancelation on Wednesday. The designer had been directing the project since the team was restructured in twenty twenty one. Coin to the sources, executive producer Louis O'Connor, another Rare veteran whose first project was Congress bat Furday for An ten sixty four, also leave the company following Everwild's cancelation. Males was one of Rare's earliest design hires, with this first credited game, Solar Jetman, releasing in nineteen ninety. Everwild was a perhaps a predictable casualty.
Speaker 3: From all I'd surprised, but it's.
Speaker 1: Still like, what are we doing here? How are we not you know, helping get these things together or at least finding something else to do for a respected important veteran like reg Males, to keep them happy or keep them with the company again. Thirty five years, you know, you know, worked on all these important games, including you know, Banjo KAZUOI, an ip that everybody. You know, maybe they have market research we don't have. That's like, actually nobody would does care about Benja Kazuoi. It's for me, it seems like people would care about that. If people popped off for remakes of crash Bit, it couldn't in Spiral. I think they would pop off for Banjo Kazuoi, so we could at least do something over there. Are you worried about Rare?
Speaker 3: I'm not worried about Rare itself.
Speaker 2: I think C A Thieves is still kind of sustainable, and I don't know what else they have cooking there. I don't think like Rare is gonna go away, but it's not great for their future prospect of making like a big new game. I guess, you know, and you know, maybe they live in that double Find space, so they're making like these smaller double A kind of games. I think that's fine. It's just again, it seems like every time this has with Microsoft, the the excuse they kind of give sometimes is, you know, we were two hands off and we need to be more involved with these studios, but like they never seem to actually do that. Like again, it's like ever while didn't come together because the studio was two hands off and Perfect Dark wasn't coming together because we were leaving the initiative alone. Like I don't know, get in there, like support these studios they're not getting support clearly like that that is I think abundantly clear from all this. You know, I don't think it's your rundown. But like a Max Online also had staff reductions and a in development NML get canceled, which apparently, from the reporting I saw in the leaks, was actually coming together very well. So why is that gone? It's just I don't get it. It's just it's frustrating because it is such blatant mismanagement issues. It doesn't sound like any of these games were where the faults of the people making them, but they're the ones suffering the consequence.
Speaker 1: That's about Zen Max. We talked about a little bit yesterday, I think. But yeah, they had an MMO apparently it's going to be something more sci fi E and that got canceled.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, some people were saying that the game was uh looking like it's gonna be something special. We will never know. And again, I just don't know how much more O juice there is there. I think I may be a little bit more worry than you are, maybe just pessimistic with everything. But yeah, I see if he's probably has some juice for a while. I don't know if it has forever juice, like a world of nothing.
Speaker 2: I think I think they'll have something come out. It's not going to be as big as you know, even even a band of Kazooi might be too big at this point, but I think they'll have another Sea of Thieves esque thing to happen.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I hope so, because you know, closing down the initiative is one thing. Uh, if Xbox really wants to lose any goodwill that they could possibly have left, I dare you shut down Rare? Because holy crap, would that be a terrible thing and a terrible look. Right, And we talked about EA just closing down Beloved Studios. If you somehow bungle Rare and have to just close that thing down, you are going to be rightfully and heavily disliked. Yeah, yeah, no, good, all right. John Romero's next FPS has lost funding in the wake of Microsoft cuts. This is from Jordan Miller VGC. Romero Games has announced that its next unannounced project has lost funding, with a now extra Marrow Games of Play, claiming it was due to this week's Microsoft cuts. A statement from Brenda Romero Studio announced that last night we learned that our publisher has canceled Funny from our game, along with several other unannounced projects at other studios. This was a strategic decision made at a high level within the publisher, well above our our visibility or control. We deeply wish there had been something, anything, we could have done to prevent this outcome of Romero Games. Employee has claimed the whole studios being what goes result of Microsoft cuts, with many advertising on link in LinkedIn that they've lost their jobs. Romeo Games is based in Galway, Ireland. The team, which included over seventy five developers in twenty twenty four, hadn't fully revealed his next project beyond the fact that it was a first person shooter made an Unreal Engine five. I know, we have our fun with Romero around here, with Dakatanadka Grebba, whatever the heck we were calling that, But I you know, this is just another pretty massive hits. This is a lot of people suddenly out of work, and you know, I find it unsettling in a lot of ways, like yeah, Daikatana hahaha. But John Romero made Doom right, just like one of the most important game designers ever. Here's somebody who just can't get this next game made or can't get a studio to work. I would have liked to see what a quote unquote modern John Romero FPS looked like it was going to be something more.
Speaker 3: So it's so marketable the olds.
Speaker 1: Like us, but you know you could do something with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, you can't. Like again, it's it's it's just what do they want us to feel right now?
Speaker 3: And here's the issue. I'll get into this real quick.
Speaker 2: Microsoft is a company, Microsoft the capital and above Xbox decided that rather than sell video games to people like us to make millions, they're funneling this money into AI developments. They could sell it to other companies and make billions. Like That's really what this is about.
Speaker 1: That's the strategic shift happening here.
Speaker 2: Great, yes, and so as much as like we're upset, they don't care like we're like again Phil's statement that he put out about oh, we're actually in great shape and making all these games, and this is that's not for us, that's for investors.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: You know, if they sell a few fewer video games, but they sell a SHINE contract to health insurer to use AI to process claims, they're gonna make millions of dollars.
Speaker 3: That's what this is about.
Speaker 1: To imagine that whatever Romero Games was working on with seventy five developers, I bet it was going to be a mid sized kind of you know, classic shooter experience thing. I can't imagine it was going to be the most expensive thing in the world. This is a company that is literally worth brillions, brillions of dollars. It is disgusting and im moral how much money this one company has. You know, they went around, they went acquiring all these people and making all these deals. That's the other thing, too, right, because when we were there doing that, the big concern, I'm sure there are other people saying, oh, they might just shut everything down if they pivot. But you know, everyone's like, oh, no, they're gonna have a monopoly, right, Like we thought that because they're going to bring in all this money from Call of Duty and king and.
Speaker 3: Now insteady for everything.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it's like they got all that money and when they're cutting jobs at King and they're cutting jobs at Raven who works on call of.
Speaker 3: Duty, right, like what we're doing? So what was the point of all that?
Speaker 1: What was the point of all that? Yeah, it's deeply frustrating. And again, John Romero, we joke is a legend is incredibly iportant to the game industry, and it's sort of distressing that they just, you know, their game could just get canceled like that and almost kind of like in the background amongst a lot of the bigger moves happening as far as but it's just a good reminder like this is these cutbacks are going to affect so many people because it's not like, you know, Xbox own this studio but your yeah, exactly. But if you're a smaller studio and your one game is being funded by Xbox and they cut the funding funding, then you're done. That's it, You're over all right. Neil Truckman pulls back from the Last of Us show to focus on Naughty Dog Games. This is by Dean Takahashia Games Beat. Neil Truckman, the co creator of the Last of Us show on HBO, is pointing back from the show's production to focus on naty Dog Games. In a note to the job Naughty Dog community, Druckman said, I made the difficult decision to step away from my creative involvement in the Last of Us on HBO with work completed on season two before any meaningful work starts on season three. Now is the time for me to transition my complete focus to Naughty Dog and its future projects. Those tests include writing and directing for the next game Intergalactic, the Heretic Profit, along with his responsibilities in studio head and head of Creative Yeah. I mean that's a pretty big job right there. It's kind of wild to be super heavily involved with a TV show as long as he was. But I imagine that there's not too much more and but he can really give at this point. Have you watched the Last of Us shows? You're not like me? You don't think all TV is completely mid.
Speaker 2: No, I actually am like I've watched very little TV. Okay, I'm not a huge Last of Us person either, But I didn't you think the format of this was weird? Like it was posted like these apology screenshot text things that always come up with like a game's canceled or something. It was like a weird humble bragging away like, I'm just so busy making these award winning games. I just can't work on Pristige's television anymore.
Speaker 3: I'm too busy.
Speaker 1: I don't know, now that you mentioned it, now you mentioned it, Yeah, it's a little obnoxious to the bust. It is like to me, it does not seem that important that you're not consulting on season three of the Last of Us TV show anymore.
Speaker 3: You know, like this in an who cares?
Speaker 2: Yeah, go oh, I have to go back and do my job now, Okay, cool, I do that every day.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, frankly, I mean, I don't know. I can't speak for other people. Made for him working on the TV shows, we're exciting. I'd imagine getting to work on Intergalactic to herit to profit and running all of Naughty Dog would be a pretty good gig. I think that would be a pretty good give. But you know, maybe it's all pretty rote for him now. I don't know. The impression I was getting was kind of, you know, Colm's kind of the games itself. Last of Less season two was a bit more divisive than that first season. I think the format off all of it was also like, you know, we did the l focus stuff here and then next season is going to be the the abby stuff, which, uh, you know, I imagine the divisiveness will continue. I'm not saying he's getting out while the getting's good or anything like that, but let's be honest. You say we're adapting all of the Last of Us to a TV show, Like, what do you think is the part of that everyone's gonna care about? It's gonna be the first season with Joel and Ellie.
Speaker 3: Didn't Pedro Pascal like diss him or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's also the embarrassing thing there, something about like do you care about art? He said that's something which seemed embarrassing. I don't know, but yeah, other projects too, like that probably has to include some version of The Last of Us Part three in one shape or form.
Speaker 2: And didn't they say they have another game cooking besides Intergalactic. They just aren't ready to announce that, right, They are working on something.
Speaker 1: And I know I used to be like, oh, maybe they won't make one, considering how many times they have re released things called The Last of Us and how much money that's making, and how proud they still are of their Prestige TV show. I think we are all going to get a Last of Us Part three. I bet it'll be even more depressing in pain inducing than ANYO series. I'm sorry, I guess I'm throwing. I used to like the Last of Us. What's Happened? I liked Last of Us Part one. Boy, halfway through two was I just completely ran it? Be ten hours into that game, and I'll say by line again, I get tired of those miserable people and their miserable problems. All right here, Actually, when don't we take a break right now? About halfway through the news you can all if you're watching live or certain places you're going to see an ad you'll get your dose of Jeff Grub there. So yeah, say hi to Jeff. We'll be right back everybody.
Speaker 4: This episode of Giant Bomb is brought to you by giant bomb dot Com. Slash Join join us there, become a member. It helps us make fun stuff, It gets you add free content. It also helps us make some extras here and there that will give exclusively to you as members. It's giant bomb dot Com. Slash Join for ten dollars a month or one hundred dollars a year where you save twenty dollars you can support us in making all the cool stuff that we make over here at giant Bomb once again. That's giant bomb dot com. Slash join become a member. Now all right, we're back to you chat. I saw all of you saying hi to Jeff Grub over there. Very nice of you, and I hope, I hope he's doing well on his trip. I believe he will be back on Monday.
Speaker 1: I'm just guessing. I suppose, like, who's not back on the Monday after a vacation?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Actually that was me, but that was mostly because that was because I got Look alike, were you shocked when you got that text from me saying I gotten mixed up? There?
Speaker 2: No, The funny thing is you you will originally asked me to pick you up from the airport, and so you went at the drive and I couldn't because I couldn't pick you up in the morning.
Speaker 3: I could have picked you up in the evening, Mike.
Speaker 1: That would have been cool. I wonder I've had to drim and tune from the airport. That would have been nice. Actually, shoot, that's all right, I got to go write et so yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's the frustration.
Speaker 2: You screw that up and you're ward is a half day Universal Studios.
Speaker 1: I'll never learn.
Speaker 3: I'll never learn.
Speaker 1: Speaking of maybe never learning, Mind's I dev's UK workforce, around three hundred received at risk emails, as former GTA lead Lensley Benzi's finally addresses staff. This is from Leslie Ianpool at IGN. Build a Rocket Boy, the Edinburgh, Scotland based developer of Mind's Eye, has issued at risk emails to its around three hundred strong UK workforce following the disastrous launch of the game. Sources familiar with the goings on inside the Embattle studio told IGN at risk emails were also sent out to staff at PlayFusion, which Build a Rockaboy acquired in late twenty twenty four. PlayFusion, who CEO Mark Gerhard became co CEO of Build a Rocket Boy as part of the buyout, is working on a different game, a fast paced FBS called a Send It, which was meant to come out this year. Last month, IgM reported that Build a Roca Boy begun a redundancy process following the release of Mind's I. Standard forty five day consult consultation process kicked off on June twenty third, which, according to the UK law, is triggered when an employer proposes one hundred or more redundancies within a ninety day period. IGN understands Built a Rocketboy currently has around three hundred ukme boys, with two hundred a broad on Steam, which does not paint the whole picture of mindzi current popularity. The game hit a peak concurrent player count of three three hundred and two on launch, but had a twenty four hour peak of just forty six players the time this article's publication. Twenty six people were playing on Steam or Mindsei has a mostly negative user rating. Meanwhile, Build a Rocket Boy sources toward IGN that Benzi's finally addressed staff following the release of Mind's Eye in a brief video call yesterday July second. According to two people presidents who I thought to be named in order to protect their careers, Benzi's insisted Build a Rocket Boy would bounce back and relaunch my blaming the studio and game struggles on internal and external saboteurs, among other things, Oh my god, cool, what the absolute hell loser behavior? Oh my god, I mean, I mean, it's just it's just so delusional. I mean, I guess, I guess going to him that I'm among the saboteurs here.
Speaker 3: But no one likes the game.
Speaker 1: No one likes you just don't see it, like.
Speaker 2: Like like I think you, I think you and talked about this before, Like what what what is there to fix?
Speaker 3: There's nothing there. There's no substance to this game.
Speaker 1: No, it's not it's not what you do.
Speaker 3: To it, relaunch it.
Speaker 1: It's not like Cyberpunk, where like it's mostly bugs and like performance is the issue. There's nothing here. The best part about the game is a bug when you hit that guy and he turns into spaghetti. So fixing that your game's actually gonna be even worse worse. Yeah, Benze just sounds like an absolute loser. If one just for saying that the reason only twenty six people are playing your game on Steam right now is because of like the deep or something like. Either you believe that or you're just saying it in either way, absolutely pathetic, unhinge, right, But you know, and it sucks because there are you know, over three hundred people who depend on this person's leadership.
Speaker 2: I am firing up my resume if I'm one of those people.
Speaker 1: What the heck right, it just does not sound good. So yeah, I mean you're completely you completely discount the possibility of a mind's eye bounce back.
Speaker 3: No, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Relaunch it with again with what what are you gonna do to that game? The fact that he is so unwilling to take any accountability for this game they put out, and instead of saying, okay, like let's learn from this move on, you're like digging in your heels like no, this is the game, Like these these these people can't see how good it is because we're being internal saboteurs.
Speaker 3: What internal saboteurs are you talking about? That?
Speaker 1: That's a classic that's a classic move right. So it's not just the press, but there's people within the studio and they're leaking to the press and they're somehow they're a big part of the problem.
Speaker 2: Like the game's out, like there's no hiding anything now it's out. People played it, they said it's bad, Like what do you want?
Speaker 1: No, don't know. It's just one of the most obvious. Again, like this game's like average scores in the thirties. I think like that's something like like like what are we talking about here? Like the saboteurs have gotten the score down amongst all these publications that that low or you know, he's blaming freaking Take two before, right, because they're so afraid they're going after it. Yeah, it is just absolutely wild. I just can't imagine there's any future for Mind's Eye. I can't imagine there's a future for Build a Rocket Boy, And there shouldn't be a future in the gaming industry for Leslie Benzi's after this embarrassing.
Speaker 2: He'll he'll find another studio in five years and at least another mediocre game and blame everybody when it doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, right, like what.
Speaker 2: Jeff just said. What if he's right though? What there actually our internal and external septoy.
Speaker 1: Yeah we don't believe well we have egg on our face, right, Yeah, you're right, though, he's going to become a consultant or an investors or something embarrassing like that. I don't know, and it's somehow he'll probably be fine. I don't know about the three hundred employees who got Tiken flour ride on this whole Minds Eye experiment. Thank you, Massive Placeation five hit Hell Divers two is coming to Xbox this August as console exclusivity wall comes down. This is from Ethan gotchak Otaku. Hell Divers two is breaking it's places five console exclusivity and coming to Xbox Series x luss in August. Gotta hate that name, cauld I. You know what, it's a kind of a bad day. You know, we're all talking about how we feel with Xbox God, I hate that Xbox Series x es day about other people have said it. It's always been a terrible name. Xbox One was not a great name either, What the hell? Anyways, fans have long called get them. Fans have long called for the hit Extraction shooter to be available on every platform, and in a shocking twist, the Sony published blockbuster is obliging. It's another major crack in the vestiges of console exclusivity and falls in this footsteps of MLB the show. You asked for more dudes, We're sending more dudes. Arrowhead Game Studios Chief creative officer, Jordan.
Speaker 3: Boy Johan, excuse me, oh god.
Speaker 1: I missed that part. You're right, Johann, I was worried about the last name I said, Jordan Saily says, Johan, Oh, will you do the last name. Then you got this, uh pistead, I think that's actually right, said during a surprise live stream announcement on Thursday. For one and a half years, you've been fighting the enemies of democracy, and one of the requests that you've always had is for us to send more dudes. And the best way for us to be able to do that is to bring another platform into the fight. The game arise on Series X ands on August twenty six at forty dollars and is the first return exclusive from Sony since Microsoft started porting major first party games like cfths to its PlayStation rival. That also happens to be the same day that Gears of War reloaded brings the long running Xbox shooter franchise a PS five, suggesting the arms race between the two consolemakers is cooling as Microsoft pivots to primarily being a third party publisher. Kind of ye but yeah, yeah, so this is some good news today. Finally here, this game's gonna be available for more people. And yet, if you're making a live service game that depends on a high player count, yeah, hell divers too. I'm sure are still doing good. It's been doing well, but yeah, uh, you know, maybe the Xbox audience isn't big as of one was. But bring the game there, get more people in, make more money. Why not.
Speaker 2: Well, it has a reciprocal effect too, right, Like it comes down an Xbox and make it a big splashy thing. And then you know, maybe this I haven't on Steam, I haven't played in a while. Maybe this gets me to be like, oh, let me fire this back up again. You know, at any time you're in the news cycle like that, it's good. Uh. We haven't played much of this really since it's initial. At least I wonder what state it's in. I know, like there's there's a scenario back on Earth where it was being invaded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, be willing to kind of ump jump back jump back in uh uh and check it out.
Speaker 1: My understanding is that it's been pretty good. I think people are joint schame bit so yeah. I mean I always liked playing it a lot. It's just you know, I haven't been in a position where I have like that, like I'm going to play this game with people three times a week sort of thing, which is kind of the mindset you maybe need to be in for a hell diverse too. But no, I liked it a lot, and it's kind of been you know, the ones Shining Beacon and a mostly failed effort from PlayStation to make live service games. It was an early success, so I mean this came out before Concord, right, that's how long ago. Now since then, they've been just kind of you know, canceling games or things have been struggling, like marathon things like that. So if you have a hit, you kind of need to squeeze as much water out of that thing as possible. It is still interesting because you know, we had MLB the show and yeah, that came to the platforms. That was mostly because the MLB was a joint.
Speaker 2: Public right, so Sony was not the publisher on that Xbox version was the MLB published it. So this is the first PlayStation published title on Xbox.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that is interesting. And you know, like frankly, something like a marathon, like I don't think they say anything about that. That should just be everywhere it can be. Yeah, hell Divers two on switch to that'd be cool.
Speaker 3: I mean it plays great on seam Deck.
Speaker 2: It runs at thirty fps on there, but it works very well if they could optimize it for sixty fs playback on a switch to.
Speaker 3: That'd be great.
Speaker 1: I would absolutely love to see it on the switch too. Are there any other PlayStation games that you think could show up on Xbox anytime soon? Or is this kind of just the one that made sense?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't see them bringing like God of War to the Xbox, right, or even you know, Ghosts of Yota or anything like that. But I'm trying to think, like, what are the multiplayer things? I feel like these ones have been announced and haven't happened. But yeah, I mean, Marathon, I think absolutely should. If Concord were still a thing.
Speaker 3: It should.
Speaker 1: Maybe that would have I mean, that wouldn't have helped. Nothing would have helped Concord absolutely all right. Dying like developer Techlan, has reportedly canceled two games, is from Jordy Miller VGC. Dying like developer Techlan, has reportedly canceled multiple games. The Polish developer has reported losses of one hundred and thirty Polish currencies approximately thirty seven point thirty million. Yeah, what did I say? One hundred and thirty million? I do that some time. I forgot the million number. I just say the number and not the million part.
Speaker 3: It's not important.
Speaker 1: It's about thirty seven point three million US dollars, according to Polish business outlet poles Binznu beni zoo uh. These losses have been attributed to our decision to discontinue further work on two projects. It's unclear which projects have been affected. BGC has asked Techlan for comment. In twenty twenty two, tech Lan announced that I was working on a new open world fantasy RPG. A few details were While a few details were known about the game, Techlan has announced that it had begun building a new team to helm the game, which included RPG veterans. The team responsible for the new IP included several former CD Project Red staff, including Open World director Bartas Auctionmen from Cyberpac twenty seventy seven and What's Your Three? Narrative director Carolina Stashaw from Whatcher two with Your Three? And narrative lead Arcadellas Barwick from WI Your two and WI You Three. I don't know why I included so many of these names here. I'm just setting myself up for so.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: I mean, this seems like a bummer, but I just can't imagine that Techlan can ride this dying light train forever. I know there's another new one coming out relatively soon here, Dying Like the Best supposed to come out this summer, but that was originally supposed to just be DLC for Dying Like Too, So they kind of you know, making its own thing. Sure, why not?
Speaker 2: I mean this feels tough, right because it feels like they were trying to branch from Dying Light.
Speaker 3: But maybe they like they went about the.
Speaker 2: Wrong way trying to spin up a whole new team instead of just taking the Dying Light team and having them make the next thing, Like they were afraid to leave Dying Light behind, so they tried to have their cake and eat it too. Maybe they needed to just make a clean break or put that series on pause while they did the next thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's right. I mean I'm trying to like, they've been making games since nineteen ninety nine there, and it's finally when I look at it, the only other franchise I really recognize is I ever Dying Light. I mean, there's the original Dead Island, but they were the Call of War as people.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I forgot about that. I like that game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they were involved mat but yeah, I definitely feel like some branching out here is going to be required if you're playing much of the dying like games.
Speaker 2: I think I played a little bit of the first one. I don't know if there's a demo or I rented it on console or something. I know i've touched it again. I have severe zombie burnout since The Walking Dead that I have not recovered from. So I just don't get into these games at all.
Speaker 1: You know, you know, I was never much of a zombie guy, so I never really played these, even though people always kind of compare them to Mirror's Edge and you know the time. Yeah, I like Parkour in my video. I like first person platforming. I'm a sick of at that. I even I liked Doomed the Dark Agents, but I kind of missed the first person platform I thought that was actually a positive aspect of that game, all right. Microsoft insists that Xbox Boss Phil Spencer isn't retiring anytime soon. In response to rumors following mass layoffs from Wesley Ian Pool at IGN, Microsoft has assisted the Xbox offtil Spencer isn't retiring anytime soon. Amid rumors around four percent or just over nine thousand staff were cut across Microsoft, and while the majority of those layoffs were outside the gaming business, Xbox studios were hit hard. Whereas Ever, while for examples canceled as was the Perfect Doug reboot, the initiative was closed amid the blood bath Call of Duty leaker at the Ghost of Hope, claimed Spencer, who has come under fire for the layoffs that have plagued Microsoft's gaming business ever since it's sixty nine billion dollar acquisition of Activision Blizzard, was set to retire from his role as CEO after the launch of the next generation Xbox, with current Xbox President Sarah Bond said to take its place. However, Microsoft issue statements to press that suggests Bets will remain in his role for some time to come. Speaking to the Verge, Krrie Perez, head of Xbox Communications, said Phil is not retiring any time soon, should he.
Speaker 3: Aj feels like we're getting there, doesn't it. You know what what did Harvey Din't say? Mike?
Speaker 2: You either live the hero or die the hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. And right does feel like we're shifting into that phase now, right.
Speaker 1: Although to be clear, I'm not saying it may not just be a matter of perception. I mean, look, Phil is a A A like O person, and he's nice individually to people, including to me. Right, He's given us access things like that, he talks to the press a lot more than most of his peers do. And yet you know, he's the boss h and all these things keep happening, and it seems like the whatever the plans are, which I assume are you know, his plans are, at least plans made above the side that he is executing, they don't quite work. We had this, uh you know, we had the Giant game Pass thing that was gonna pay for everything, and now we're barely even talking about game Pass anymore. It feels like we had all these acquisitions so that we can, you know, finally build enough studios so that they can compete against PlayStation and all their great exclusives, and that just never really happened. The Xbox series X and S, it just didn't really work. So like, at some point, when does when does leadership have to pay for this a little bit? When do they have to take responsibility for it? And also, you know, when when the bosses are saying, hey, you need to go cut around four percent of staff or whatever. Okay, I'm ignorant of how much power he has there. BIKE assumed he could at least say no or say I'm going I'd rather resign than do that. I know that's a difficult decision, but at a certain point, maybe maybe pushback as hard as possible on nonsense.
Speaker 2: But that's the issue, right, Like what we see as a bad job and a failure, he's doing exactly what they want, right. Ass has said said you have to do this, and you're going to be the decision maker and take the heat, and he's willing to say okay, and he doesn't. So that's job security, that's him his role.
Speaker 1: No, I think you're absolutely right there. As far as the larger Microsoft leadership is concerned, they're probably very happy that he will mostly do but of course he has to do what they tell him to. But you know, it's just that's such a problem. In Sony world, being the head of PlayStation means more than being the head of Xbox does. In Microsoft world, PlayStation is just so much more important to a Sony than an Xbox is revenues wise to a Microsoft. But again, this is a company with literally trillions of dollars and they are just going out there and inflicting all this human suffering just to get that bottom line slightly higher. It's all about money, and it's freaking pathetic and disgusting. And look, I mean, Phil's been there a long time, right, It's been a long tenure, and if things aren't working out, I just don't really under a certain point, I don't understand why he needs to be in charge anymore. And frankly, I don't really I don't know if promoting somebody else from just that leadership team is going to make much of a difference there either. I don't think things are gonna suddenly change if Sarah Bond is in charge of Xbox.
Speaker 3: Needs be a shift.
Speaker 2: There needs to be a shift at the corporate level that that prioritizes Xbox. That's not there right now. I think Xbox makes enough money that they're happy with it. They're not going to get rid of it. But I don't think they see a reason to grow it any further, or they don't see an opportunity to grow it. So let's keep it, you know, profitable but manageable. Let's not invest into it because we'd rather again invest into AI and.
Speaker 3: Stuff like that, because that's where.
Speaker 2: The money is right now, and maybe two, three, five years from now, hopefully AI the bubble bursts on that they move to the next thing. Unless gaming somehow has some huge glow up where all of a sudden that's as marketable as something like an AI is right now, we're never going to get that, And that's why you know a company you sit sewing. But even Nintendo, like Nintendo is a game company, there is nothing above that, And in a weird way, that's why as a consumer, I guess I feel a little more confident in pouring Nintendo right now because they're not going anywhere like there's they're they're not feeding some some grotesque beasts behind the curtain in the name of making some video games, like that's what they do, So they're a little more comfortable right now. Just struggle Microsoft and Xbox has always had. It felt like maybe they're gonna start coming out of that with things like game Pass and these investments, all these studios, and the proof in the pudding has not been the case.
Speaker 1: It really does just make you wonder what the heck an Xbox is gonna look like in ten years Again, you assume that call of duty makes enough money that even the people at the top of Microsoft are happy to have that revenue stream things like candy Crush, Gay Pass still has to be some kind of passive income. I guess passive maybe isn't the world, but that has to be income. I know that it can't grow, but they also don't want to lose that revenue stream. You know, they're doing things to try to bring in an influx, and that means taking games to PlayStation other platforms. It means doing a bunch of layoffs. But what else, What next? If it's always got to you know, just be these big hits, these these big sudden drivers to increase the bottom line, you just keep going and going down that road. I mean, eventually you're gonna run out of tricks here. And I'm a little worried about what that's going to look like.
Speaker 2: You know, it's gonna be very telling. It's gonna be whatever happens with the next Halo, both what it looks like, what it looks like they put into it, and how it performs. If that doesn't work, like if it's not a rampant success, that's when I think things will start to radically shift downwards. If it does well, that's the crummy thing, right, If it does well, I think it just maintains the status quo. Like I don't think there's a growth to come from a new Halo, but I feel like if that doesn't work, then I think Microsoft loses to appetite even more than they already have.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's fine you say. It almost feels like in some sense we are here because people did not care about the last Halo. Really, yeah, true, true, Right, Like if Halo and it was maybe some big success and it drove a bunch of people to get an Xbox Series X and the by game Pass, maybe we aren't having all these weird conversations. So yep, I have here.
Speaker 3: It's your fault.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what it is.
Speaker 3: You who didn't play Halo, an actual good video game.
Speaker 1: It's not even three four three industries. It's Halo Studios now or something. I always forget that I see about that. What the heck is that?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry?
Speaker 2: I did donche Edy and the adel and the chat metch that I found funny day, did you see this report that apparently e A thinks the next Battlefield will have one hundred million players.
Speaker 1: One hundred million players.
Speaker 2: Which is like three times more than the most successful Battlefield game has ever had.
Speaker 1: Yeah that serious has really been on the up and up lately Battlefield. Yeah, yeah, that's gonna work out really well for them.
Speaker 3: I bets.
Speaker 1: I bet that's gonna go great and there's gonna be no consequences of them not meeting expectations at EA, look at you, just because you are the villain this week. Look, we'll get to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we haven't forgot.
Speaker 1: To calm the hell down. All right, Let's let's look at our poll from yesterday here while we figure out a new poll, because yesterday j I asked everybody would you have played an Outrider's sequel, apparently also recently canceled. Only thirty percent of people said yes. Seventy percent said no. I think you liked Outriders, right, aj I.
Speaker 2: Did like Outriders. You know, it's funny it came out at a time when it felt like there was a very strong sentiment against the churn of a lot of games of service and a live service game. So like the pitch was this that luter shooter you like, but like there's no season passes there's no constant grind for loot and gotcha's and all this stuff. And it was like, oh, okay, like this is what we want, right And it still didn't quite hit.
Speaker 3: So it's like, well, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what these people want any more. Like you say you want one thing, we give you that you don't want it, we give up.
Speaker 3: So it's a bummer.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed that game, okay, I have to say I found its world and storytelling incredibly boring. I didn't really care about anything.
Speaker 3: It was a little bland in that card. The gameplay was good, though.
Speaker 1: I like the game play was relatively good. I mean, look, you like a good leader shooter.
Speaker 3: You were.
Speaker 1: You were an anthem defender. I'm sorry to say it. You were a huge anthem defender.
Speaker 3: Don't be sorry. I love anthem.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry for you, even if you have no shame.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: It's embarrassing, all right. A new question is going to be should Phil Spencer still be in charge of Xbox? We'll let Jeff handle the results of that one.
Speaker 3: I should do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I should almost do like a Jeff poll here, like did we did we really miss Jeff this week?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Or no?
Speaker 1: Like you know, but no, no, no, we absolutely missed our boy Jeff, and I am going to be happy to see him back. This this warning shows are a lot of work. It turns out, agent.
Speaker 2: Well, this is early for you, Mike. It's still am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know right right, because I don't have a flight to catch or anything.
Speaker 3: Unless you were playing Miss, then it's.
Speaker 1: Okay, right right, So gosh speaking, I wish I am sad I didn't get to play miss this week because I missed my flight.
Speaker 3: Uh oh Like so some of the point is that you can play miss without Jeff with you, Jeff Jane gotta be gott to be playing with you.
Speaker 1: That it was gotually part like at first it was like, we can't do without Jeff. Jeffs like, of course you can, and I'm like, I don't want to do without Jeff. It's fun at me Jeff and Jan there, I think it's.
Speaker 3: See the universe righted that wrong for you?
Speaker 1: I know you're you. You were the miss guy. I always told people you, Oh, I.
Speaker 3: Love Missed, adorn Missed.
Speaker 2: So I'm very happy that you're playing, and I hope you get through Missed and Riven, I want you to play through all of them then we can play. We'll get a giant bomb community in Uru and the fan servers will be great.
Speaker 1: Just be on Missed. Your miss three is your big one from whatevery.
Speaker 2: That's my favorite. That's that's that can't hit so hard. I was in high school.
Speaker 1: Did you ever beat Missed five?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: You know, I fell off it. It is my my weird little streak of shame. And the reason I fell off it is because spoiler Atrus is dead in that one, and he's like, I like Atrus, Like I found that.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, well.
Speaker 2: That kind of kills the vibe a little bit, like I don't like that. And yeah, weird mechanic with like drawing on these tablets.
Speaker 1: So I'm definitely gonna order it over you though. If I beat miss five before you do and I'm the reaing.
Speaker 3: I think I could.
Speaker 2: I could catch up if you if you're if you get to three, maybe playing five.
Speaker 1: I'll get back.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Uh, hey, we we've had some fun on the site. Yesterday I played through Guitar u Man on the Light Club with Dan and Kayla uh both cheering me on. Uh we didn't have that game, AJ, I think we might have it was a great game. I like that a lot. And then last night on Wednesday Evening Gaming got MIC's at night wegga man, I played Dune Awakening, which, uh, that was good stuff. I think you'd like that game quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Ye say, do I need do I need to finally check this out?
Speaker 1: Maybe we have a Giant Bomb serve on there. If you watch the stream you can find out where we're all playing that on. But yeah, you know, I haven't really played a lot of these survival MMO kind of things. I was having a very good time with that. The vibes were good. It feels good. There's a grappling hook and you have Breath of the Wild style climbing in it. So that stuff that's fun. Yeah, that stuff was all super fantastic. And we're not quite done with this week though. We still have a voicemail dump truck popping off later today at about eleven am Pacific, super Eye Patch Wolf joining us. Yes, yes, so I haven't actually met him yet. I think he's met everyone else on the team. He said some nice things about me on a video he did not too long ago when everything was going down with Giant Bomb, So I appreciate that makes excellent videos. I like his Simpson stuff quite a bit, so yeah, excited to see Super Eye Patch Wolf later to day. But that's about it. Ag Anything you would that you would like to promote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some of you may know that Mike and along with our brother Chris, do a Disney podcast called nineties Disney at nineties Disney dot com. We just had an episode come out about Muppet Treasure Island, which is a great movie that I hadn't seen in a while, but I really enjoyed kind of going back and visiting that. So you can go listen to that if you want to get your Disney and Muppet fixed.
Speaker 3: From the Minati brothers.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, I always enjoy doing that show. We had a lot of fun with the Muppets there. I think we might do a Muppet movie rinking soon our August first episode. Every summer we do this thing where we recreate cocktails from the theme parks and we kind of have just a backyard cocktail party and we record that. That's always a very good time, So I'm looking forward to that for sure. All right, and with that we are out. Thank you to our guest. Thank you again. AJ really do appreciate. Do you want to shout out socials or anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm on Blue Sky mostly I'm at age guy on there and come say hi.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you for being the best orients in gaming. And until the next morning mess which render not tomorrow where we are off for the fourth so on Monday, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.
Speaker 3: You'll be gon't be bad.