Speaker 1: Hello, lovely listener and viewer. I'm Dave and you're tuned in. Not that that's possible on a podcast to what you're talking about? Willis with atp seventy four Marcus Willis currently playing in the French Open. Now we make this podcast to show what the real life is like of a tour professional and along the way we have a giggle and often stray into the stupid. We both find stupid and easy thing to achieve him more than me, of course, today's podcast is a reflection on the first round win at Roland Garross. It's a quick catch up in between Willis's media practice, Jim Physio and of course his lunch or brunch or breakfast or maybe all three at once. He loves a meal. Anyway, here's what you're talking about, Willis live from the French Open. We're speaking the morning after the match, mister Willis, And did you get a little tingle as you're walking out from the changing room. Is there a little bit of you that isn't concentrated on the match, but is actually concentrating in the enormity of making your French Open debut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess so. I was kind of focused on the match.
Speaker 3: But then you're walking into court, yacubs with this is missus walking into court. Adam's already at the court waiting, So yeah, it was surreal.
Speaker 2: I suppose. I don't really know how to explain it.
Speaker 4: I mean, because it's all right, isn't it to say like you're wholly concentrated on the fact that you're playing in your first round, etc. And you've got game plans and you've trained for it and stuff like that. But is there a bit where I don't know, almost like a pinch me moment, like an excitable I'm playing the French Open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like for ten seconds I suppose maybe, But I'm sewing the zone and as I say, I'm by myself, taking all of myself. So it's it's strange. I was just kind of walking the court, go and see if I can win this match.
Speaker 4: In a way, it's something that your brain can't process that club players, even when they're playing in their club tournament, are like consumed by nerves of seeing people, of being like the club champion. You almost can't realize what it would feel like if a normal person was in your place to be able to separate it. Are you better at doing that now. I keep saying it, but making your deaby in your mid thirties, if you're in your mid twenties making your French Open debut, would you have been as calm.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, had I had the year I've just had and played every other slam, then maybe. But I suppose I've Yeah, I've worked on my mentality as well, you know, pay a mental coach.
Speaker 2: It's helped me a lot.
Speaker 3: And it's actually kind of say, well, you know, look at the history of what you've done, and this isn't a big deal for you anymore. You can come here and win matches. You've done it before, so you know you can turn up with you you know, with your chin up and go right. I can come here and win this is this is time. It's not like I'm happy to be here, which of course I am. I'm incredibly grateful, but it's kind of the narrative shift. I'm not an underdog anymore in my head, Like we we had a very tough match yesterday, but you know, on paper we're favorites and it's a different pressure shift now. It can be difficult sometimes because I suppose if people look at the rankings and stuff like that. All they're playing ulternates. They should win that. But you look at their results. You know, one of them is in an ATV five hundred final last year.
Speaker 2: They've won a.
Speaker 3: Lot of matches together this year, won a lot of tournaments, won six seven, six foot eight, both lefties, And yeah, we've got to go and deal with that. And it's different, you know, turning up, turning up to a Grand Slammon's favorite with a match, it's it's just a different.
Speaker 4: I want to talk. I want to get into the detail of the match. You were on court to right, so that's got a seating, and there's something at the end.
Speaker 2: A little church. Yea oh cute little church behind the court.
Speaker 3: So say a few prayers if you're.
Speaker 2: The match.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, when you went near it, did you feel like you were going to burst into flames?
Speaker 3: Or I felt like I was going to burst into flames anyway, Max, it's thirty five degrees.
Speaker 4: Up there, right, So this is another thing. I mean, the last thing you want in yesterday's heat, and he's calming down a bit over there, right. The last thing you need over there right is a three hour tennis match.
Speaker 3: Yeah, doubles two yeah, not really ideal.
Speaker 4: So what First of all, how did the courts play? Is it fast clay? Is it high? Bounce it like it's the conditions play a huge part into how the clay reacts. So how did the court is self?
Speaker 1: Play?
Speaker 3: Quite heavy but lively in terms of you put spin on the ball. It jumps a lot. But we didn't hit an ace me and Yak of the whole match. I think they hit three or four maps, so you know, it's not like you can just hit a rocket. Well I can't, but we served pretty well. But no, it's not as quick as I thought it would be considering how hot it is here. It's quite I think they put something in the clay to make it not dry so you can stand up, so it's nicer. Where some clay got tournaments they water it. After ten minutes you can't stand up, so it's it's it's nice nice, it's lively, like you serve on the service line that will skid through.
Speaker 4: Still Clay Dave as a tennis nerd Well, I was going to say, like I've heard a little rumor that Queen's Tennis Club are kind of considered the best grass courts and not wiled, So I don't know about all that. But is the French Open? Is this the best clay courts you've ever played on? Like the quality of the.
Speaker 3: Clay, I'd say so, yeah, but again you still get yeah it is, it's better than better than most. Yeah, I'd say it's probably the best. Yeah, But I mean I hit at Monte Carlo once that was nice. Just different, just all different. But it's still you still get bad bounces, you still can't stand up sometimes, you're.
Speaker 2: Still still.
Speaker 4: By the way. Listener, go into previous podcasts for our positive review of the clay called season.
Speaker 2: Here on the surface.
Speaker 4: I know you're a bit pressured for time. Tell us about the match itself, the battle. I was watching it point by point on an app and I'm I'm watching a pretty formulate at first set that the you know, human yakub look to be kind of coasting into the first round. And I text Ali, who works on this podcast, and I put, nothing can go wrong?
Speaker 2: Now, Well, we played a very very good set. I think we lost. We lost two points on our server the whole set.
Speaker 3: We broke them, yeah twice, and have break points in the other games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they they They played quite predictably. I'd say at the start they weren't moving too much.
Speaker 3: They're playing out of reg gave us quite a lot of space to do what we wanted to do on returns. And then you know, as we sat down after the first set, I said, it's good.
Speaker 2: But they're gonna they're gonna change things. They're gonna up it. They're both very good players. So and that's what happened.
Speaker 3: We went four one double breakdown, managed to get back into a tie break, lost.
Speaker 2: That and then three one up and the third got.
Speaker 3: Broken back and then no more broke after that. But we had break points twice. I don't think they had.
Speaker 2: They won three out of four break points. We won five out of fifteen.
Speaker 3: But it was just it was just just with the with the with the long juices, you get into so many long games where you your break point up and then Britain and game point down and then back to It was just quite quite hard because a lot of those were on their serfs and ours, and we had a lot of chances that we didn't take. And I felt like we were the better team overall, felt like we were creating more chances on their servan they were on ours.
Speaker 2: That's what I base it on.
Speaker 3: And and there we go and we got we got through in the end.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that that's what I was going to say, Like having the having the chances is as important, right because now you can go into your next match and think, well, if you can just push that average up a little bit from thirty three percent to fifty, there's a lot of more there's a lot more breaks is was it what these break points? For most people? They're not going to have seen this match because it wasn't broadcast on so many places. Was it narrow misses or was it them stepping up and up in their game?
Speaker 2: Of both? A bit of both.
Speaker 3: We had Love forty first game in the third second serf, the guy went for a big wide serf, made it, then made two more first serves. He kind of served his way out of trouble. But like bravely, I went for a big serve, Love forty down and thirty forty got in the rally. I came across, hit the volley at the net, lare he reflexed it, and then my elbow or something hit the net. Well, yak, I've had a short fourhand wow. So got called touch. So that was just things like this kept happening and having half chances and sea the first time I've touched the net this year. Yeah, yeah, it happened at thirty forty first game in the third. It's like and I made a good move and had he had he missed the reflex volley put it back of his frame. So yeah, yeah, it was just we had Yeah, there were some where they served very well, and there were somewhere we were in I think quite day, but there were some we we did take.
Speaker 4: So what's the communication between you and Yaka during the match? What are you saying to each other? Change events?
Speaker 2: You don't have that line.
Speaker 3: You sit down and you have a drink in your back up, So it's just like, yeah, keep going, keep the energy high regardless.
Speaker 2: I try and not over complicate it for.
Speaker 3: Him, and he does the same for me, because if he starts thinking about.
Speaker 2: Too much, then you stop flowing. And that's that's where we're good. When we flow. It's good to have a rough idea like I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of people cool exactly where you're going to return, and then it's like, well, the guys are serving two thirty kilometers like you're going to tell me where you're going to return from that.
Speaker 4: It's just one of these things in doubles, isn't it accepting that there's just so much out of your control about getting chances, not quite making it and the fine margins. But I always wonder when I look at it, over the course of the winning a Grand Slam, is it just a case that those two players have played well at the same time at key moments because it's so tight, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, But you both need to contribute in slams because it's it's not no ad you can get. You know, through the year, you can I can break a pair not making a returnal year because my partner wins four because of the no addirble that that happens a lot. You get someone who's not playing well, but the team wins because the other guy did.
Speaker 2: In slams, you can't do that.
Speaker 3: You can't break without both people winning a point. So m so it's different. I prefer playing this way, even though it's longer. You feel like you get a true winner rather than no ad. It's just like, oh, it's random stuff.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 4: I know you've got a carbet, I know you've got to go. Let's just a quick word final question next.
Speaker 2: Round manhatch wshare.
Speaker 4: Big big games.
Speaker 2: H Wow.
Speaker 4: So you're going to going to the club now to prepare. Prepare with Yakub, Prepare with Yakub.
Speaker 2: Hit some balls to Jim.
Speaker 4: Yeah, can't wait to speak tomorrow, mate, All right, take care, cheers.
Speaker 5: Bro Victor of Baranco on troumpon, Sergeant Major of Craig Frederick on the trumpets and the composition the Army Blues, what like that.