Speaker 1: Last week we looked at the first of the five callings that God has for your life. In this series on live your calling, that God has called you to be loved before you do anything else. You don't do anything for God. You just let God love you. You are called to be loved. This week we look at the second calling of life, and it is this. You have been called to not just be loved, You've been called to belong. To belong to God's Church, which is going to go on and on forever in eternity. Now the Bible says this Hebrews Chapter C, Verse ten. God is the one who made all things, and all things are for his glory. He wanted to have many children share in his glory. God created the entire universe because he wanted a family. And God doesn't want his children to be orphans. He doesn't want his children to be street kids. He puts them in the family, and that family is called the Church. Now I want you to write this down. The second purpose of my life is that God formed me for his family. God formed me for his family. If God hadn't wanted a family, you wouldn't exist. But God made you because He loves you and He wants you to love him back, and he wants you to be a part of his family. You were formed for God's family. This has been his plan from the very beginning of time. Ephesians one says this, His unchanging plan has always been to adopt us into his own family by bringing this to himself through Jesus Christ. So the first purpose of God for my life is that I am I beloved by Him. But the second purpose of my life is that I belong to Him, and that I belong to his family. Now, God's family, write this down, is called the Church. That's what God called his family. He calls his family the Church, the Church of God, the Church of Jesus Christ. One Timothy chapter three says this, I'm writing to you so that you will know how to live in the family of God. Paul's writing in Timothy says, I want you, guys to know how to live in the family of God. That family is the Church circle that that family is the Church. That family is the Church of the Living God, the support and foundation of the Truth. So God formed me for his family. His family is called the Church. And the third thing I want you to get is that I'm called to belong to that family. I'm called to belong to his church, and the Bible says this in Ephesians two nineteen. So now you are no longer visitors or strangers. Now you are citizens together with God's holy people, and you belong to God's family. Just underline that, start circleing you belong to God's family. That is the second calling or purpose or reason or mission of your life. First to know God, who loves you dearly, but second is to be a part of His family. And that family is called the church. Romans one six says you are among those who have been called to belong to Jesus Christ. The word church literally means the group of people who are called by God, the called out ecclesia called by God. Christianity is based on God's word, and God's word says the church is the called out. In other words, church is an event. It isn't a program, It isn't a building. If I ask most people what do you think of church? Is they think of a building or they think if it's something you go to. I'm going to church, not something you go to. Church is something you belong to. It is not an event and it's not a location. Church is a relationship. Now we worship here, we have a place here, but this is not the church is the people of God.
Speaker 2: It's our relationship.
Speaker 1: What I want to do this weekend is share with you the five benefits of belonging. Because God designed his family, the church, to meet your five deepest needs. In fact, the church is the only thing that can meet your five deepest needs. In the Bible, the church is often referred to by a different metaphor. The church is called a family, the church is called a temple, the church is called a body, the church is called a flock, and the church is called a garden. Each one of these have profound implications for your life. And if you understand the five meanings of these five metaphors, you will understand how the church was designed. God's family was designed to meet your deepest needs in life.
Speaker 2: Now let's get into this.
Speaker 1: The first metaphor that the Bible describes the church as is one we all are familiar with, and it is this a family. It is a family, and in a healthy family, one of the benefits of a healthy family is you're taught who you are, You learn your identity. So the first thing I want you to write down is that in God's family, the first benefit is I learn my true identity.
Speaker 2: You're not going to learn it from the world.
Speaker 1: You're not going to learn it from your parents, You're not going to learn it from your peers or anybody else. Your true identity is found in relationship to God's family. Now, we're all concerned about our identity. In fact, we do this by the kind of clothes we wear. Have you noticed that people like to wear clothes that have brands on them or have logos on them.
Speaker 2: But the truth is.
Speaker 1: Most of your identity comes from your relationships, for good or bad. And if you have good relationships, you have a good identity. If you have bad relationships, your identity is much more difficult. See I am a grandson, I'm a son, I'm a father, I'm a husband, I'm a grandfather. I'm a team member, I'm a small group member, I'm a pastor, I'm an employer. All of these are relationships that define who I am. You know who you are in relationship to other people. Now what that means is if my connections or my relationships get broken, or my connections or relationships are poor, then I have a hard time of knowing who I really am. Anybody who's gone through a divorce knows. After divorce, you go, now, who am I? Because your relationship was tied to that person, Or somebody who's been married to someone for a long time and that loved one that spouse dies. It's very common, very natural, and normal people go now, who am I? What's my place? What's my role? Or if you get laid off and your identity has been tied to your work, you're going, who am I?
Speaker 2: What's my identity?
Speaker 1: And so our identity is actually tied to our relationships. Now, the problem with this is a lot of us don't have very good relationships growing up. And some of you would say, you know, Rick, my family was dysfunctional, my family was broken, my family was really nonexistent, So how do I know who I am? Well, here's the good news. Ephesians, chapter two, verse nineteen. You are members of God's very own family, and you belong in God's household with every other Christian. Now doesn't matter what other families you've had. Your most important family is God's family. Why, because that's the permanent one. It's gonna last, it's gonna last forever. Actually, your physical family was just a channel to get you into God's family. God used your parents, whether they were good parents, bad parents, or indifferent parents, or maybe you never ethe knew him. He used them to bring you into the world. But his real goal was not to keep you in that family, but to put you into His family. You see, I hate to say this to you, maybe a shock to you, but your spiritual family is actually more important than your physical family because no physical family lasts. People grow up, they move away, people get divorced, people die. No physical family lasts. We know that, But your spiritual family is gonna last forever and ever and ever and ever and ever, so it's actually more important. In fact, the Bible says God created the entire universe for his spiritual family, the church. When you get your identity from that, then you get a long term identity.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 1: The problem is we go out trying to look for identity and things that aren't going to last, and the world judges your identity on all the external stuff, not the internal. The world says to you, you're short, you have black hair, you are of Asian descent, or European or African American or Latin America or whatever. You have this kind of thing, and this is your political party, and this is your job, and you are an American, and those are all interesting identifiers, but none of them are going to last. Yes, I am an American, but there's something more important than that. I'm a member of the family of God. America isn't going to last. No kingdom lasts one thousand years or two thousand years or ten thousand years. Where's the hit Dyed Empire, Where's the Assyrian Empire? They don't last. So if you want your identity to last, you put into something that's never going to change. And the Bible says God's family, the Church, is going to go on for all of eternity, because it's why God made the universe. What matters most is your spiritual identity. Hebrews chapter two, verse eleven says this Jesus and the people he makes holy all belong to the same family. So this is why he, Jesus isn't ashamed to call them his.
Speaker 2: Brothers and sisters.
Speaker 1: Did you know that Jesus calls you his sister, That Jesus calls you his brother. That's a pretty amazing thing. And it says he isn't ashamed to call you his brother or sister. Have you ever had a brother or sister you are ashamed of?
Speaker 2: Don't answer. You may have, you may have, But Jesus.
Speaker 1: Isn't ashamed to call you his brother's sister, no matter how messed up your life.
Speaker 2: Is why because you're in the family.
Speaker 1: You see, this is one of the great things about being in the family of God, is that your sin doesn't define you anymore. Yes, you sin, but it's not your defining characteristic.
Speaker 2: Let me explain it this way.
Speaker 1: It's the difference between Alcoholics Anonymous and Celebrate Recovery. Celebrate Recovery, of course, was started at Saddleback Church. Alcoholics Anonymous is a good program, it's very good program, but I think Celebrate Recovers a whole lot better for a number reason. It's Christ centered. But one of the reasons is we say and celebrate recovery. Your sin does not define you. Your sin is not your identity. Here's the difference. If you were to go to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, you would stand up and you'd say hi, my name is Rick, and I'm an alcoholic, and you would be saying that the rest of your life you're letting your sin define you. At saddleback and celebrate recovery. People stand up and say, Hi, my name is Rick. I'm a child of God who struggles with alcohol.
Speaker 2: See the difference. Big difference.
Speaker 1: His difference was saying saying you know, I struggle with lying or saying I'm a liar. Big difference. Your identity is not your sin. Does that make sense? That's why Jesus is not ashamed of you to call you a brother's sister, because once you're in the.
Speaker 2: Family, you're in the family.
Speaker 1: You may be a little weird, but you're in the family, and you may have some sin in your life, but you're in the family, and brothers stick up for brothers and sisters, and the Bible says Jesus is.
Speaker 2: Not ashamed of you.
Speaker 1: By belonging to God's family, you will learn your true identity.
Speaker 3: Hey, would you like to go deeper with pastor Rick to discover God's purpose in your life? Well now you can with the video based study kit called What on Earth Am I here for? This life changing study is taught by Rick and includes a workbook and six video sessions. As you go through these lessons, you'll embark on a journey of discovery to answer life's most fundamental question, what on earth am I here for? You'll learn that it's only in God that we discover our origin, our identity, our meaning, our purpose, our significance, and our destiny.
Speaker 2: Every other path.
Speaker 3: Leads to a dead end. This resource is packed with biblically centered principles and is perfect for personal or small group study. So be sure to request this study kit when you give a gift to Daily Hope to help share the hope of Jesus with a hurting world. We'll send it to you today as our way of saying thanks.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: A lot of families to advertise their identity. They have a symbol, or they have a family. Scottish families have a plaid that the finds our families, and a lot of groups will have some.
Speaker 2: Kind of mark.
Speaker 1: I mean, gangs will often get a similar tattoo. So when you have a certain tattoo, then you know you're part of that gang. Do you know what is the mark the symbol of being in God's family? You know what it is. It's baptism. Being baptized is the public symbol that says I'm not ashamed to say I'm a part of the family. I'm advertising in the world. I don't understand it all, but I'm in. If you haven't been baptized, you need to be baptized. That's the symbol that says I'm in the family. It's coming out of the closet. It's your public proclamation, it's your coming out party, and you need to be baptized. The Bible says this in Acts chapter two. Those who believed what Peter had said were baptized and added to the church about three thousand, about three thousand people that day.
Speaker 2: Those day of kind of costs.
Speaker 1: So you believe, then you get baptized, then you get added to the church. Now that's the first metaphor. I'm in a family, and my family helps me understand my true identity. That's why a lot of people go back and trace their genealogies to discover their true identity. Now there's a second metaphor that God uses to describe the church, and he says the church is like a temple.
Speaker 2: It's like a temple.
Speaker 1: Another words, it's like a building that is erected for God's glory. It's a building where God's presence shows up, where God has loved, where God is honored and worship a temple. And the Bible says in one Corinthians three sixteen. Here on the screen, don't you realize that all of you together are the temple of God, and His spirit lives in you. He's talking to the church, you know. I remember when we have been building buildings here on the Lake Forest campus over many years, and as each ound of them is built, I'll walk through them as they're getting built, and I'll see all of the carpenters and the construction workers building all things. And I've noticed that it takes thousands of different pieces to build a building. But the most important thing is that the pieces have to fit together. If you have a beam that's a half an inch short, it doesn't hold up the roof, And if you have a pipe that's one inch too long, it doesn't make a connection. And if you don't make the connections, then you don't have a building. A building cannot stand on its own power unless it has connections, unless the things fit together. I've also noticed that when you go through a construction site, there's always a lot of other stuff laying around on the ground, spare parts, there's spare pieces of wood that haven't been used, or spare pieces of pipe. And what I've noticed is that you can be a pipe or a piece of wood in a building, but not necessarily belong to the building. You don't belong to the building until you're connected to it. That's the way some of you are. You're in saddleback family, but you don't belong to saddle back family because you've never taken the time to get connected, to make a commitment to say, I want to be belong here. I want this to be I want to be more than a tender. I want to be a member. I want to belong I want to be connected. I don't want to just be a spectator. I want to be a participator, and I want to be connected. Now, why did God choose a temple as one of the illustrations of what it's like to be in his family in the church, Because in a building, all of the connected parts support each other. Now, this is the second benefit that you get in being a part of the family of God in God's temple. I'm supported by others. I'm not out there on my own. I'm not a lone ranger. I'm not there by myself in a strong structure of a building, we support and we hold each other up. In a building, all connected parts hold each other together. And you know what, there's going to be some times in your life when you need other people to hold you together. You're going to need them to hold you together because you're falling apart. And if you're not in the building of God, the Temple of God, the Family of God, the Church of God, and you're not connected, you're disconnected from the Temple of God, nothing's going to hold you together, and you're going to fall apart. The Bible says in Ephesians two, in Christ, the whole body, the whole building, is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord and in Him Jesus, You too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his spirit. So together we all together form the Family of God, and we form the Temple of God.
Speaker 2: What is a temple God? Well? In a building?
Speaker 1: A disconnected frame has no support, it has no stability, and you need it. This is the second great need in your life. You need identity and you need stability. You need to be a part of a family to understand your identity, and you need to be a part of God's temple to get the stability where we support and we connect it to each other. You weren't meant to go through life disconnected.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: This week and my grandkids came over and we were playing in the garage, playing legos because I got one of the largest collections of legos in southern California, and all my grandkids they like to play legos. You know, there's only one purpose for legos. They're designed to connect. If you don't connect the lego, it's worthless. Now, if you connect legos together, you can build all kinds of really cool stuff. But if you never connect them to each other, they're worthless. It just a pile up, big mess, is what it is. You are God's lego. If you're a believer in Christ, you're God's lego, and you were designed for connection, and you were meant to be not just in the family of God, but in the Temple of God, in the building of God, where we connect to each other. Romans one twelve says it like this, I want us to help each other with the faith we have. Your faith will help me, and my faith will help you. This is what we call the mutuality of the body, of the building of the family.
Speaker 2: And why is this important?
Speaker 1: Why is it important for me to have support, and why is it important for me to have stability in life? Because the number one epidemic in our society today, in my opinion, is not the financial crisis. The biggest epidemic in our society is loneliness. As somebody who talks to hundreds and even thousands of people, a lot of lonely people in this world, and they feel alone and they feel disconnected. It's very interesting. We have more technology for connection than ever in history, and yet people feel more disconnected, particularly teenagers.
Speaker 2: And particularly young adults.
Speaker 1: Now, the third description of the church in scripture is that of a body. And you've heard this one before. The Bible calls the church the body of Christ. Look on the screen at this verse. The Bible says in one Corinthians twelve twenty seven. Now you talking about Christians, you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.
Speaker 2: Now what is this illustration? This metaphor mean?
Speaker 1: Well, we're different parts, but we're all connected and together we complete the body, and we accomplish together what we could.
Speaker 2: Never do on our own.
Speaker 1: And when we do that, all of a sudden we find our place, We find our spot, we find our niche, we find now how we matter, We find our unique shape, our our talents. And you're not going to find this anywhere else except in the church, where you find how to use your spiritual gifts, the gifts that God has given you. And so the third benefit of belonging to a church family is this. In Christ's body, I discover my unique value. I discover my unique value. This is your capacity. First I learn my identity in God's family, and I get stability in God's temple. But I learn my capacity in Christ's body. I discover my unique value. Romans chapter twelve, four and five says this, Just as there are many parts to our bodies, so it is with Christ's body. We are all parts of it, and it takes every one of us to make it complete, for we each have different ways to do. So we belong to each other, and each of us needs all the others. Now, that's a very important passage. It says four or five things. At first, it says that the body of Christ, the Church is made up of many parts, we're all different. You look around here, nobody's like you, nobody looks like you, nobody smells like you. We're all different. We're all God designed us that way. God loves variety. Can you imagine if God had just said, let's only make three kinds of human beings. God made us all different, and we're all many parts. And notice it says everybody's needed. Look at that verse, we're all needed to make the body complete. Nobody can say, well, I'm not important, No, you're needed. You know, if you have a jigsaw puzzle and one piece is missing, what's the part you miss? The one that's missing, the one piece that's missing.
Speaker 2: So what you notice? First? It says we all have a work to do.
Speaker 1: We all have different roles, different ministries, And if all of the parts did the same thing, it'd be nonsense. Like if every part in your body was ear it'd be kind of silly. So we all have different roles to play and different things to do, but we belong to each other. Notice it says there, so we belong to each other. Underline or circle that I was going to have you turn to the person next to you and say you belong to me.
Speaker 2: But that might result in a marriage proposal. So we belong.
Speaker 1: But it's true if you're in the family of God, if you're in the body of Christ, if you're in the Temple of God, we belong to each other. We don't just belong to God. We belong to each other. And it says each of us needs all the others. In other words, what good is an eyeball if it's detached from the body?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 1: An eyeball out here on its own is worthless. It can't see anything. It can only see as it is attached to the body. What good is an ear if your ear is detached and sitting out over there, no, none at all, has no value at all. It can't hear unless it's attached to the body. What good is your hand if it's cut off and put on the show? It just withers and dies. You cannot be what God made you to be without a church family, without being connected to Christ's body, you can't do it. You can't fulfill your purpose in life on your own. You have to be connected. You have to belong, You have to be an association. You have to be attached to some local body of Christ.
Speaker 3: Hey, would you like to go deeper with Pastor Rick to discover God's purpose in your life. Well now you can with the video based study kit called What on Earth Am I here For? This life changing study is taught by Rick and includes a workbook and six video sessions.
Speaker 2: As you go through.
Speaker 3: These lessons, you'll embark on a journey of discovery to answer life's most fundamental question, what on Earth am I here for? You'll learn that it's only in God that we discover our origin, our identity, our meaning, our purpose, our significance, and our destiny.
Speaker 2: Every other path.
Speaker 3: Leads to a dead end. This resource is packed with biblically centered principles and is perfect for personal or small group study. So be sure to request this study kit when you give a gift to Daily Hope to help share the hope of Jesus with a hurting world. We'll send it to you today as our way of saying thanks.