Speaker 1: This is w b Z Boston's news radio, redefining local.
Speaker 2: News twenty nine degrees in Boston at four o'clock and good Saturday afternoon. I'm Madison Rogers. Here's what's happening as the Trump Administration's immigration crackdown unfolds. Governor Heally now describes a number of ice arrests in and around Boston this week. As Routine Believes's Mike Maclin spoke with the.
Speaker 3: Governor, these are efforts to apprehend people who've been charged with serious crimes in our communities.
Speaker 1: And Governor Borre Healey reacting to the arrest of several undocumented immigrants with criminal histories in Boston in recent days as President Trump vows a crackdown on illegal immigrants who break the law.
Speaker 3: You know, I think most people understand that whether you're here lawfully or unlawfully, if you commit crimes, you can and should be held accountable. And that's what we saw the other day in Massachusetts. These are this is the normal course of work by federal authorities, and it's happening around the country.
Speaker 1: It's really assuring immigrants who are here legally and who do not engage in criminal conduct that their rights are protected. Mike Macklin WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Today, the Senate has confirmed Christy Nome as the head of Homeland Security, the now former South Dakota Governor Will Helm, a sprawling agency essential to national security and the president's immigration agenda. Meantime, the Pentagon has a new leader now. Pete Hagsath was sworn in as Defense Secretary this morning, just hours after a dramatic confirmation in the Senate with a tie breaking vote cast by Vice President Vance. A park south of town has been shut down over a potential bird flow outbreak. DW Field Park in Brockton and Avon will stay closed off until further notice. Officials say. We've also now learned that two birds found in Norfolk last week have now been confirmed bird flu cases. And checking the latest on the nationwide outbreak.
Speaker 4: New poultry infections detected in twenty eight states just this month alone, and so far as CDC reports, sixty seven confirmed cases here in the US, and that's mostly in people who had direct contact with invected livestock. The virus has led to one death in Louisiana, with two cases involving children.
Speaker 2: Over in California that was ABC's Morgan Norwood. Last weekend in Plymouth, dozens of dead waterfowl were found at the Billington Sea Pond. In the Middle East, there's been another exchange today. One week now into the fragile cease firing, Gaza, Israel has released two hundred Palestinian prisoners and in return four Hamas hostages. Female soldiers are free and what's being described as the CeaseFire's first major crisis. Meantime, Israel says displaced Palestinians will not be allowed to return to northern Gaza this weekend as had been expected or had been expected. They say that a hostage who was suppose to be released has not been. In the four day wbz ACU weather forecast, it's gonna be less cold in the coming days. Tonight's partly to mostly cloudy and brisk, with a low around twenty three, Partly sunny and breezy, Tomorrow, warming up to around forty degrees in the afternoon. Then Monday we'll top out in the mid thirties. It also becomes rather windy by late in the day. We'll have sun in some clouds up near forty for Tuesday, but it's mostly cloudy and still breezy, and mainly in northern and western parts of the area. You could see a snow shower as well. Right now in Boston, it's twenty nine degrees with a chili breeze out there. It feels like fifteen under a partly sunny sky. There's an extra terrestrial investigation in downtown Boston sort of. A piece of art was recently installed in downtown Crossing which looks like a parked car that's been crushed by a falling satellite. Wednesday night, Boston police say someone showed up, ripped the satelle light off the art installation, dragged it around for a bit, and then ran off. The vandal apparently left the satellite on the ground, but the piece was certainly damaged. Please say. They're trying to track down the suspect, and a little neighborhood along the shoreline of Hull lives an artist with a dream. The blee Beezy's Jeremy Russ introduces us you name it.
Speaker 5: Mike Dowdash has probably been there and probably done that from running an iron Man people.
Speaker 4: I laugh at people on the Boston Marcelon Off.
Speaker 5: Yeah right, try doing this to building boats and cars in California. But these days he's a sculptor who chisels stone, whoa look at that do what I can best describe as shapes that look like clouds or what he describes as.
Speaker 2: Three dimensional representations of non Euclidean forms.
Speaker 5: They say life imitates art, and Mike's life has gotten about as complex as the sculptures he makes.
Speaker 2: I got cancer a few years ago, so I have four years surviving.
Speaker 5: His goal is to donate the sculptures as educational pieces for the Perkins School for the Blind.
Speaker 1: Hopefully when I'm going to stand the test of time, that they're not dated like a shad.
Speaker 5: Jeremy Russ WBZ Boston's News.
Speaker 2: Radio, and you can see more of Jeremy's story on our TikTok account at WBZ News Radio. Down in Providence, Brown University Health is moving into the former Hasbro offices. The university just announced about six hundred administrative workers will move to the downtown building this summer, and this comes as toy making giant Hasbro is set to move out of downtown Providence at the end of this month. They do still have headquarters in Patucket, but the company has reportedly been mulling a move to Boston. Tonight on SNL Yeah Sine, actor Timothy Shallomey will join a very exclusive club. He's about to become just the fifth non professional singer in the show's fifty year history to pull double duty as both host and musical guest. Shalam May recently starred in the Bob Dylan biopic A Complete Unknown, and as of Thursday, he's been nominated for Best Actor at the upcoming Oscars. You're now in the loop. For news updates throughout the day, listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Madison Rogers, WBZ, Boston's news radio