Speaker 1: How are you doing.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the fourth episode of Super League three sixty. My name is Lee Addison.
Speaker 1: And my name is John Davidson.
Speaker 2: And one of us has got their TV in the background. Is it me? John?
Speaker 1: I've not got a TV in the back. I've got a window, I hope.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, maybe people are commentating on the football outside your window. Happy happy new Year from us both. I think I had my TV on two percent right and Arsenal playing Liverpool and I need to keep an eye on this because City dropped some points the other day. So happy new Year from us both, no doubt. Happy new Year to you, John.
Speaker 1: Yes, Happy new Year. I mean it's what the eighth now, So we're on the last.
Speaker 2: Night, Yeah, nearly twenty twenty seven. Super League three sixty, by the name, as the name suggests, by its very title, is a cast primarily about British Rugby League and Super League in general. But we do and we will include some NRL when that gets going in particular, and we do end up in all sorts of directions. John, you're an inscrepted scribe. Is that word? Intrepid? Scribe?
Speaker 1: Intrepid?
Speaker 2: You need to wake up, don't.
Speaker 1: Yes, I am at times.
Speaker 2: You're popping up everywhere at the minute.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm like a bad smell.
Speaker 2: Right, that's right. Tell us some of the titles that you pontificating the written word on.
Speaker 1: Ah, the Ipaper, the Guardian, League Express, Rugby League Hub dot Com, Long Raids and sometimes another podcasts such as The Fort.
Speaker 2: You sound really enthusiastic about it too.
Speaker 1: I just tell you a little nap.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah this. This podcast has also been aired for the next couple of episodes on the Ashy Rugby League and the Rugby League Coach podcast platforms, as well as the Rugby League Coach YouTube one, so if you subscribe to those you won't miss a thing. What's that you're drinking? John Cafee, we're both on the I want to know when I'm not doing the morning shift and you are. I've been doing this for quite a while now and it took me eight months ago. Johnny. Can we please swamp if you want you to associate your business name with this or the Rugby League Coach Podcast, please reach out. I consume drinks constantly. That's why I asked you about your drink. I think it's my version of smoking drinking water on the Rugby League Coach podcast, john My water usage has been sponsored by the Global League Network, which is basically a place where coaches and players can meet. And I should finish that sentence because coaches and players could meet to do all sorts of things, but they're actually there to hopefully line up with clubs and opportunities. And we have lots of segments, don't we on this podcast too, which people can sponsor. Bear in mind it took me two years to get a water sponsor. Let's not hold our breath. I'm an Englishman originally who's lived in Australia a long time and coach some NRL clubs and things. And you can get me at Rugby League Coach dot com dot tey you admin at Rugby League Coach dot com. To tear you is my email at Rugby League Coach on Socials, Johnny.
Speaker 1: I'm a journalist. I'm a strangeruralist who's been living in the UK for the last thirteen years writing about rugby league for no longer.
Speaker 2: Me and get you though part of you in the eye.
Speaker 1: Yes, Johnny d Davidson and on book at John Davidson Journalists right.
Speaker 2: Were both We're both a bit sleepy. You're sleepy at eight thirty at night, I'm sleepy at six thirty in the morning. So let's let's liven this up now with fuller caffeine. Salford have dropped out of Super League. Their old club has been disbanded, a new club has been formed and they've got a CEO and looking at the reports, they could have anything between four and eight players. So they're playing about a week and a half. So is it fair to say that the new coach, Mike Grady, the CEO round brilliant and the players that's the team so far and they just need to find a few more.
Speaker 1: I think. I think they've got more than they've announced and I think that definitely will have seventeen for that first game. What is basically, I think in eight days.
Speaker 2: From the recording of this podcast. Yeah, so Arsenal playing Liverpool. So if you're wondering what day is it, it's the ninth of January and Australia won't be that yet in England, but it is.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's the eighth of January and they start this season on Friday at home on the sixteenth against Oldham. So I suppose to Ryan really about a week or so ago. And obviously he's a player well known to solf Affairs because he was playing for them last year. But he's obviously hung up his boots to be the CEO, which is an interesting choice for him. And I think, you know, some people criticize him because obviously I think he's thirty three, never been a CEO before. But I've known Ryan Ryan for a while and I think he's quite a quite a smart guy, quite articulate, understands sort of the game and has worked as a football as an agent women's football. So he's also done two degrees in sports management and directorship, I believe. So, yeah, he's trying to put together a squad. They've hired Mike Graid year's coach, who was the women's coach at Sulfurs, coached North Wales and South Wales and be assistant a witness and Rotchdown and a few other clubs, so it's a big ask. I think. Look, I think I'll get pumped by Oldham. We've also just tired a new first team coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll go to that soon.
Speaker 1: Came down yeah in the first in their first game. But look, I think, you know, Sulfur fans. I'm sure I hope have a bit of a realization of how the season is going to be. It's gonna be very hard season for him.
Speaker 2: Let me let me unpack some of that. As a born and bred soulf Audian. First of all, I'm full of admiration for the new ownership group and the new CEO and the coach keeping the club going.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: That's that's I want to put that on record. That said, I was concerned about the appointment of Ryan Braley or indeed any thirty three year old who just to finish playing and just started in the sea or roll straight away. I mean, I'm pretty sure if they did a bit of a detailed search they could have found somebody with some experience of managing a business that's just starting out, which essentially is what it is now. I know it's in rugby league, and I know that that rugby league has its own ecosystem if you like. But it was just another example of jobs for the boys, a little bit for me, and I'm and I'm not critical of Ryan Brilliant anyway. I actually wrote about him in my book Rugby League Coach thirteen Game Changing conversations to transform your coaching. Did you notice how I did that there?
Speaker 1: Job?
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was good. But so I've always been had a passing respect for him because of his Super League and Championship endeavors, and he's been a little bit unlucky with some of the clubs. He's turned up hat and and everything else and that and that, and that speaks volumes to me that he doesn't you know, he's not going after the quid all the time him. He's he's digging in and helping the game. So I'm not criticizing him. I just think that it's an example of jobs for the boys a little bit. Also, fans have to remember as well the CEO of a club like Salford right now, I mean, how many staff will he have on the beef him.
Speaker 1: Hanpeful? Yeah, you know, And the realization is that the budget that Salford will be on and they'll be one of the smaller clubs in the well it's the second tier, but it's effectively the second and the third tier because they've merged together. So it's a very small budget. I mean, yeah, it's it's a.
Speaker 2: Speci title might have been general manager or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they'll have a handful of employees, you know, maybe a full time employees. That's just the reality of second tier rugby league in the UK. Then there's no illusions about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's going to be a tough year for them, and I guess I guess the other question that we'll ask here is why they're still playing at the ground because I believe the budget for the ground is quite significant and I can't assume that they're they're very cash rich, and I mean I think Salford fans would follow them if they played at Folly Lane or a Salford Roosters which used to be echoed honestly, quite frankly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an interesting one. I think, Look, they they want I think the issue with the stadium, it's probably the best stadium in the championship now and look it's a great stadium. You've got corporate, you've got all that. But I think they're paying their rent and obviously they've got officers there as the business. But the rent for matchdays is something like one hundred and seventy grands for the year, so that is crazy, like that is really high. Whether they went to more Lane, which I believe is Sulford City. It's a very small ground. I think there's like housing around it, so it's not probably the best or most professional. But yeah, I mean that's a fair point. I think they've obviously looked into and thought, look, we can afford that, we need to be there. The council sort of always public it comes out and says that they want to support the club and the sport. But yeah, I think the stadium is a bit of a millstone around the club's neck, without a doubt. It was for the previous running administration of the club in Super League after I left the Willows and it is a big millstone around their neck. Now that's you know, there's no doubt.
Speaker 2: I can see the men do not like of Swinton where they play. They're still called Swinton what they play in Bury kind of finger So I'll do something like that.
Speaker 1: Long budget of Swinton. You know, they're not going to be Bradford in the Championship or Toloose or London. You know we can we'll probably talk about London later, but London have signed a load of NR old players and P and G internationals and they're owned by Baron Lockyer and you know, they're coached by a former South Sydney head coach. They're not on anywhere near that kind of budget, so there's got to be that realization. But if you're along, you know, Sulford, what we're around one hundred and fifty odd years and if you're a Sulford fine, and then the club goes bast and you've got something to support, then that's surely got to be better than nothing. Yeah, we will.
Speaker 2: We will stay on the Championship while we're there, and even though this is called Super League three sixty, we will get to the super League soon. Because a little bit different to Australian fans, English rugble league fans tend to take an interest in all levels of the game, don't they that that tends to be the reality in terms of the Championship. What else has happened this week? Oldham played Keighley in some kind of joint training session a poll session last week and stole their coach and brought them to Oldham. Brought him to Oldham.
Speaker 1: Yeah I imagine that's still in from that session. But yeah, Sean Long, who's who's a name of a lot of people will remember from his Saint Helen's and Great Brita days he left. I think it was September. It was towards the end of last year. Anyway, left Oldham and he's gone back to rugby union to coach at the Harlequins and they haven't had a head coach since then. They've got Mike Ford who's their director of rugby. But yeah, they've just announced Alan Kilshaw while I broke the news the other day as their sort of first team assistant coacher. He's left Keith Lee to join Oldham and Oldham as of I'm trying to think when the new owners came in probably eighteen months to two years or so ago, quite well resourced. They've got, you know, big ambitions, big budget. They've got a load of ex Super League x NROL players in their range. You know, Jack Walker's just Simon. I've got Josh Trent Water who played throughout Super League and for Saint Georgia, and La Warren was a Manley junior youngst others. So yeah, I think that'll be one of the clubs to beat in the Championship. I'll be pushing for the for the title this year.
Speaker 2: All them a coach Josh rinkwater Manly for a little bit. I just want to mention Kilshaw for a while because he's had a few clubs now and he left Oki in Queensland about two weeks before the season last year to Wonder and that ended up creating an opportunity for me. I'm like, if you're like a pseudo, well, I'm a coach consultant for the place right because we put in a young coach that that that needed some support. And I know Alan, so I'm going to defend him as well as as acknowledge what other people might say. So obviously the forum started to blow up. He's moved again and he had an issue, didn't he when he was in England when he worked at Swinton. I've heard Alan's story about that, and I believe it was it was sent in a different direction, and you.
Speaker 1: Know, around the noose, around the noose.
Speaker 2: And yeah, all I'll say to Alan, who if you like as a friend, this has to be his last move for a while. He can't keep he can't keep doing this. I mean, I know, I know he will have his reasons and I know that this is rugby league to an extent, but you know, soon soon there's going to be no clubs left for him to hop around kind of thing.
Speaker 1: So it's look, I think if you look at if you look at Keithy, to hold them while they are in the both as soundition, the two clubs of different size and all them obviously a much more attractive proposition as a club. But yeah, I think if you're any coach in terms of your CV, you want some longevity in certain positions.
Speaker 2: Uh, I mean, regardless of the reality, people talk and people make their own assumptions, right, So there's people who made their own assumptions about the new thing, which was helped by some questionable stories coming out, made their own assumptions about Okayiman's put Okey into context into oneber their budget for players, and the budget in the competition for players will be more than an awful lot of the championship clubs, like this is the caliber of the competition and so and the rugby league world is a small world too, So I hope I'm coming across here with Alan about Allen in terms of actually caring for his outcomes. So like, I don't I'm not criticizing the guy, but he's got to be careful and I know, it's closer to home for him and everything else. But you know, if he leaves Oldham sometime in the next year, he's going to be hard for clubs to employee because because he moves around some much and I'm something who's moved around. But uh, you know, yeah, I can't do it.
Speaker 1: I think. I think just on the on the news thing, I mean, my understanding was it was not actually him who who created that. And then another another take on that is there was a massive for out about that. It was quite controversial, wasn't it. But you know, coat teams target players who are injured all the time. It's sort of it's the brutality of the game. You know, there's been a lot of worse things done in the sport. But obviously he's had a favor of success in his career. Got Rochesdale promoted in the Championship over to Loose who were you had a much bigger bad budget, did well in Hanslet, so you know, it did well at Serena Crocodile's back in Maquie, so he could be you know, it could be great appointment for for Oldham.
Speaker 2: And they'll be working under Mike Ford. I mean it seems to me that Mike Ford has a title of director of Rugby and that, but he is genuinely directing the rugby and I assume because of Allan's title, Mike Ford will be the one that signs off the team sheets, planned some of the training if you like, or the direction the training goes in at least. And it's an interesting model. And I do also think that could be part of the reason why it took them so long to get a coach, because so many coaches wouldn't want to work in that realm. They'd want the full control. So very interesting on the championship still, I mean, this is a really interesting thing, and I know you're going to talk a bit about it in the Job in Johnny's Job later, But the Championship has basically amalgamated two divisions, so it starts in a week's time from the launch of this podcast, so the middle of January probably ends in twenty twenty nine. This season because they have to play, there's going to be a big difference, isn't there between the top teams and the bottom teams who are going to be the top teams in that championship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's a really it's a really different because of the Championship and the league. W have merged and we've had Bradford to loose and York go up, who were the three biggest teams in the Championship there Now in Super League it's a really wide open division. So you've got the teams that I think will be at the top. There will be Oldham, there will be London. Then you've got you know, Halifax Witness. There's probably a couple of others who could compete Sheffield. Excuse me badly, but yeah, the really interesting one, I guess the biggest one left there is London. They had that takeover by Darren Lockyer and Grant Weischel to Queenslanders. I mean obviously Darren needs no introduction, but they took over the end of last year. They signed Jason Dimitri as the coach and went on a big signing and marketing blitz. Obviously they wanted to get in the Super League, but now they're set the sights on effectively dominating the cheap.
Speaker 2: How many teams are in the Championship now, I thought.
Speaker 1: Well, this is a good point. There's twenty one at this stage. Now Featherston are in. But Featherston went busted at the end of last year and the RFL there's one group bidding to take that license. The RFL has still not decided or approved a transfer to this new group.
Speaker 2: Now that john I've got that in Johnny's jab and all your caffeines kicking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think. I think the point is, though it's controversial on that. Mark Campbell, who was the owner of Featherston when it went is now part of the new group wanting to take on the license. So how does that work? Do you know what I mean? You? You you you run a club and it goes bust, and then you, you know, start a new company, wipe you you are, that company's liquidated and you wipe the debts and then you move on and start up a new company and then effectively take on a license.
Speaker 2: It doesn't we're doing We're doing great advertising for RULL League. We've started with a club that went bust and is now trying to now got six players. We then talked about a cult who keeps jumping ship. Then we're talking about a club that's going buston but he's still in the championship. And now I'm going to switch it to Super League and something happened around tessing you in the last seven days.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was yeah, not a good one that came across. I was sent to me on Saturday night.
Speaker 2: You broke that, didn't you? I think I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I broke in the sense that I was the first journalist or media outlet to write about it. It was all over Facebook, Twitter, social media etcenta. Effectively, the story is it appears as though his partner had used his Instagram account to publish a series of stories which were alleging physical abuse and psychological abuse from his partner, alleging that he'd been unfaithful and then you know, physically harmed her and that she was leaving the country and returning to Australia. So that was Saturday night Sunday morning. Those have been deleted from his Instagram account. He also then later deleted his Facebook account and his Instagram account. And I went to the club for a comment. I went to the RFL for a comment. Now, usually RFL is not that proactive on these things, but it was interesting that on a Sunday morning, it took them forty minutes to come back with a comment and the comment was, we're aware of this. We won't be making any further comment now. Lee didn't make a comment until yesterday. In this comment, this statement that the club made has been i would say, pretty heavily criticized by well basically everyone on social media. And I think it's a really interesting case study because obviously the NURL and you could say other sports deal with these kind of things, player misbehavior, domestic abuse, whatever you want to quit this thing off field issues very differently. Obviously in the NROL they come down very hard and they've got an integrity unit, but it's very different in Super League, in the British game. In my experience, most often clubs will just ignore it. They will hope it goes away, there will be no investigations, another sort of way that they look at as they think, well, if it's not before the courts or a police matter, then we won't say anything, we won't touch it, we won't do anything. So effectively. Can read out the statement from Lee, but they said the club is aware of social media activity of concern for one of its players, accounts that of tesse Knew. Club owner Derek Beaumont said the club can confirm that the players agaunt was access externally and without his knowledge or consent and deleted a short period thereafter. We were instantly aware of this as happen. As a club, we have policies and procedures and employer play wilful manager who is a qualified counselor. Our first put of call in these circumstances is to ensure the welfare of our player in any external party that may be involved. This was immediately initiated, having since personally spoken with Tezi and Kiana individually at length, and then our player welfare manager and head coach, and completely satisfied they're both being fully supported. I can also confirm there's no official complaint to the club, We're going to player, nor to any relevant authorities to that in. The club will make no further statements about the matter and would welcome supporters trust in the club's processes and findings.
Speaker 2: So I would summarize that as nothing to see here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you could read between the lines there. I think it's interesting the way they've dealt with this and that they waited what four or five days to come out with it. They've sort of pointed out there's no official complaint to the club, nor to any irregarding testing or any player relevant authorities. That doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't act. They don't mention an investigation, they don't mention any potential suspensional discipline against the player. I think it's just generally not a good look. And I think the comment about we would welcome supporters trust in the club's processes and findings. What do you make of that lead what's your take on that?
Speaker 2: It says to me that they understand that what the statement that they're putting out could create more questions. So in other words, leave us to it, please trust us. And the reason it will create more questions is because there's some doubt as to what's gone on. Still, it's not, you know, we're we've still not had had an explanation as what has gone on.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, we don't know the facts of circumstances. All we know is that there's been an allegation of.
Speaker 2: Made and innocent, toil, proven guilty and all that kind of thing. They did infer that his social media account was hacked.
Speaker 1: Yes, I would have you know, it appears to be by his.
Speaker 2: Partner, So why not just why not just you know.
Speaker 1: I think I think the interesting thing is though that the club says just trust us, will we'll deal with it. I mean, in your experience Lee, in professional sports, particularly in rugby league, would you say it would be right to trust clubs to deal with these things.
Speaker 2: Not when one of the players is quite talent.
Speaker 1: No, I mean that's almost laughable in the sense. But you look at the the Ben Barber situation at Canterbury Bulldogs. You look at I use it, you can, I can use a Lee and isn't this is not a go at Lee but well.
Speaker 2: Lee, Lee Leopards, not Lee Abbison, but.
Speaker 1: Yes, Lee Leopards. Two years ago Zach Hardeker got downe for drink driving the second time he went to court, etc. This was a week before the season over Againt Hasfield. He played in that game. Now, Blee never said if there was any discipline or you know they pay, you know, they stuck to pay whatever. Now, obviously drink driving is different to allegations of domestic violence, and I'm not saying there should be a black and white way you deal with all these things. But you can't just rely on clubs just to go and we'll deal with this properly. Because more often than not in my experienced clubs.
Speaker 2: I think the Rugby Football League, the Rugby Football League need a system. If they want the image of the game to be squeaky clean, then the Rugby Football League need more power or more balls to try and deal with this situation. Because I'll tell you, I'll tell you why. Number One, you're innocent will proven guilty. Okay, that's a fundamental tenet of our society. Supposedly, but quite often rugby league players and sports stars in general or can be guilty before they're innocent because of the news leaking out. Okay. So the reality is testing new will get a different kind of hearing to anybody who's not in the sporting realm because he's testing you will it will be aired publicly in a way that Joe blogs down the street won't have. Okay. And secondly, there is a culture in this world at the moment, and I'm not suggesting this has happened in any way, shape or form, but I do know this has happened to players in the past, and I know it's happened to people with different profiles that are reasonably high. There are people who extort people. There are people who create scenarios, yes, to get some financial gains. So testing you is innocent until proven guilty. And the other thing I don't agree with John is double jeopardy. Okay, So it's not job. It's not Rugby League's job necessarily before we look at how it looks and the sniff test, right, it's not necessarily Rugby League's job to or Lease Centurion's job to act as a court of law, or or to clean the streets up. Okay. Now, every organization, in my eyes, has a right to decide the type of people they employ. I mean, there's there's there's there's organizations out there that only employ pass criminals to help rehabilitate them and whatnot. Right, So every organization has a right to keep on their books who they want. Okay. So Lease Centurions have obviously decided at this juncture testing you can keep training with us and playing with us. Now, the positive of that is that is that testing you could be innocent and so therefore is not being is not being punished before that fact. The negative if you like, or the sniff test if you like, or the failure of the sniff test, is the fact that there is something that's happened. There is something that's happened, whether it's been created or has happened, and he's still there. And I think that's the I think that's the governing body's job to look at. Because in the NRL, what would happen is there's a no fault stand down policy. Okay, now, the it's not great, the no fault stand down policy, particularly when the media get hold of it. So I used somebody like Jack de Bellan, who actually got found in a court of law to have not done what he was accused of. So for two years he lost his he lost his right to practice his his his work is his profession at the level he needed to. Now, whatever the wires and wherefore was of that case. So I'm not talking about that. And as we know, the legal system is a complicated thing. But essentially the truth is somebody has stood down and was found not guilty, and that's the that's the false thing on the other side. So lookles and should lee leopards and their moral compass is one thing, okay, but the RFLS is a mother and the RFL and any governing body should act like basically their ship shouldn't stink. They should be untouchable in many ways.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: They they provide referees that stand in judgment on a game. They they they protect the laws of the game, the referees each game. So the RFL has to protect the integrity of the game in England too. So I don't know what what involvement have the RFL had on this? Have they had any involvement? I mean if they did have involvement, what would they do? What powers have they got?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not said, they're not they're not saying essentially okay, So it seems to be history will say that they generally do nothing or they don't get involved, which.
Speaker 2: And an another thing, right testing you and so many other players that are knocking around they're from Southeast Queensland. And I worked at two big rugby league schools in Southeast Queensland and at one point we tried to get Testing new and spoke with his parents and everything else. So there's a human being in there, right, And and what what happens in schools and what we tend to do and part of the lessons that we give children, if you like pupil students, is you do make errors, but you are toned for them. And one thing that happens in a school system is you know, you might get suspended for three days or you might get suspended for five days, but you actually always end up coming back. Now, what I'm trying to say here is that a school has a moral compass as a rule, right, but it takes an awful lot for the school to say that's enough, you're not coming back. In rugby league, we tend to go from one extreme to the other. We tend to oh, he's done something wrong, sacking forever not. You know, at the end of the day, Lee Centurions Lee Leopards might be a club that's a bit like a school that has a different approach to discipline issues compared to a really strict school. Now, at the end of the day, you've brought up two examples of Lee Leopards keeping players in where there's a little bit of a smell i e. Drink driving and potentially domestic violence. The reality is they're a club that doesn't that that isn't doing double jeopardy basically that if the law of the land allowed Zach Hardacre to be on the street and operate, then why should he be punished again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I totally get your argument, and you know, there's a lot of that I agree with. I think if you're a professional sports sportsman, if you're on a pedestal, you're on TV, you're being paid, you know it's not it's not unfeasible to expect a higher level of behavior or a fact that if you're a role model, that you're held to a certain standard. Now, in saying that, I think the key point is their allegations. We don't know if he's guilty of them or not, and you are right and until proven guilty, but I think this is something that needs to be looked into. There needs to be an investigation, and having dealt with the NRL Integrity Unit last year, my experiences, they do a very good job investigating these things and looking into them properly and then coming up with either a punishment or a finding and whatever it is.
Speaker 2: Do you think Tess would have been stood down in the NRL based on what you've what's come across your desk.
Speaker 1: I think well, I think it's probably likely would have been stood down. I think there would have been a lot more pressure on Lee and the RFL by the media if it was in the L and I think there's definitely there's definitely a massive difference in the NRL compared to superlue in that in the NRL there was a realization that you may lose sponsors and fans and hurt the image of the game by not acting when these things happened. While in Super League the Championship whatever, and there's countless examples from white Haven and other clubs, and you could go on and on Albert Kelly when it was at Hull of c that they just kind of bury their heads in the sand. My point is that you know, there's obviously Lee Leopards, their brand and what they want to do. Obviously that's their decision. But the RFL runs Super League and they should have you know, they should effectively go we we're the governing body, we need to look into it, into this and decide whether there should be a sanction or not. But they won't do that.
Speaker 2: And I think that's it. I mean, I mean, I guess to summarize my take on this, people can decide whether they want to support Lee Leopards playfully Leopards work at Lee Leopards, sponsorly Leopards based on this and and other things. But you know your your club is your should show your value, shouldn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I don't want to go down a whole kind of rabbit hole. But what I found interesting was perhaps the reaction on social media compared to previous instances like Ben Barbara and other ones, where I think in general in the UK there's maybe more of an not an acceptance because I think that's probably unfair, but just a lack of understanding of the impact of this, not only just on the potential victims, but for the sport, for the competition, for the club, et cetera. And I think that Mason Greenwood incident at Manchester United has maybe open some people's eyes or change some people's opinions because obviously he didn't go to jail Diddy, and obviously people can look up that if they don't know about it. But there's things that potentially are quite harming or quite damaging that aren't necessarily result in jail time. But whether we should someone should be punished for them is a different argument, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So look, we'll move on from it because release seemed to be so you went to whole KR training, so the English Champions and we're only a few weeks away from uh World Club Challenge. John, This this this podcast will bit weekly soon and we're going to have to record it earlier in the week. Aren't we really picked for it to not age very quickly?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, we might have to record it at the end of each round.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe on a Monday morning your time or something.
Speaker 1: No, we won't be doing that. I did crowding before New Years. I was very lucky to get an invitation and it was well, it was a bloody freezing uh and c and be so should I say? It was really interesting just to see whole ka in action, how hard they train, the variety of exercises and jewels that they do, the speed in which they do them. You know, it's very professional. Yeah, it was. It was great to see a lot of a lot of use of the ball, a lot of skill based off you know, you get an understanding of how they want to travel last year and you know what, they've become one of the top clubs in England.
Speaker 2: It's funny, you know, John. When I was at Manly Seagulls, a team that you support, I was privy to an awful lot of what Des Hasler was doing in training with them during their premiership winning years and grand final years, and it always felt like training was a big event. It was intense, there was a lot of energy put into it. The staff were prepared for it. They took a while to set it up, they took a while to pack it away. Everything they did was scrutinized, it was it moved quickly. It felt like training was a genuine event. Around the same time, I also did some work for the new South Wales Rugby League and I had to take some talented juniors for camps and stuff, and we actually went to a few other and R clubs at the time. I remember we went to South I remember we went to Paramatta and I remember vividly thinking at the time that the difference in intensity and energy levels from what I've seen at Manly compared to Paramatta themselves. I thought at the time, I thought Manly going to go close in this premiership this year based on just based on that, okay, just based on that energy. And people talk if you go to Storm training, they talk about the intensity of their training for example, and I'm sure some of the top clubs that are regularly at the top that can be that that can be attributed to them too, So no really good insight. And if you'd have gone training at Salford or Featherstone you might have got a game. You might play fullback for Warrington. Because Dufty is leaving.
Speaker 1: He is, yeah, I mean it's not a big surprise. You know, there was some disciplinary issues turning out later training and whatnot last year and he got dropped. It's interesting that I think he had a quite close relationship with Sam Burgess. But obviously, as we all know, Warrington season went down the toilet last year and they've been looking to offload him for some time. I think there was there was originally rumors about York then Weirdness, even potentially London, but he has gone back to Australia without a club, so yeah, I think for Warrenton, he's obviously been one of their key and best players for a couple of years now, so a loss a blow. You know, we're interesting whether they look to recruit someone to replace, and they've got Kay Taylor Ray, who's a Kai Taylor Ray, I should say, who's a young fallback, really quick feet, exciting young player, so he obviously he's got the number one shirt, so it's good to see. I guess Warrington giving an opportunity a young kid. But yeah, I think the dufty thing. It's a bit of a Martin line in the sand, I think for Sam Burgess because my understanding is last year Burgess was very close the players. You know, he's obviously very young coach, isn't He didn't retire that long ago. I think he's only thirty five or so. He was very close to the players. And then last year, obviously things unraveled and a few of the players, shall we say, mucked up, and then I think he tried to come down hard on them and that didn't really work because you can't switch between being the player's best mate and then you know the roof and kind of you know, you know this much better than me managing a group.
Speaker 2: Well, after they got flogged by Wigan in Las Vegas, he was video dancing on table somewhere in Las Vegas, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's another that's another perhaps not a great look. So he tried to rell that in mid season and it hasn't worked. Now he was close to being sacked Burgess, but he's escaped the knife for now. But I'll tell you what if Warringtons start the season poorer, you know, if they lose four or five games you know early on, you know, won't be a surprise Sam gets back.
Speaker 2: So sounds similar to the England cricket team John players getting pissed and.
Speaker 1: The difference for the England cricket team. I think the Warrington and as arrogant as the England cricket team. What did they say was the worst Australian team for fifteen years or something?
Speaker 2: Well it statistically is.
Speaker 1: Well statistically they just won the Ashes for one so yeah, statistically, statistic clear up your class. Yah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you've offered one statistic and I've offered them other. I mean, I want to win an Ashes by by fiddling with snickel, then you you can be happy with those those those wins. That's fine anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think what Warrington, it's an interesting place at the moment. Yeah, there's definitely pressure on them to to start the season. Well they've not gone all out with the recruitment. They are trying to use their academy and their their local juniors. So yeah, it'll be interesting. But yeah, Dufty's gone. I don't know. Can you same pre servicing in the NRL? I think the knock on drafty when he was at Saint George la War and he didn't really play much of the Bulldogs did he? But was that he's a great attacking player, but defensively not good enough in a bit Rocks and Diamonds.
Speaker 2: As soon as we finish this podcast, I'm ringing the Okie Bears president.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's gonna end.
Speaker 2: That's all I'm saying. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Mate.
Speaker 2: I didn't say I was going to ring him about Matt Dufty, did I. You're a journalist, mate, you should have been all about the facts and RL news. Perth Bears are finally announcing some players. Nick Meaney apparently is close to a long term deal. Tyron wish Ark could be close to putting pen to Bay Paper. They've got Josh Curran, which I think is a good signing Liam Henry. Where did Liam Henry play and win a premiership? Was that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And they've also got Tolby Sexton in twenty twenty seven, so they've all of a sudden put a team together, or get close to putting a team. Yeah. I think they have as many players as Salford.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've got some better players than Sulford, but they still I think they've still got a lot of work to do. I mean they really need, they really need a spine like Toby Sexton. He's an okay player, you know, he's around half pack, but he's not you know, monster is he He's not well. Look, I mean duftely needs a club now, not for at all, but yeah, they need. You know, they've gone all out for for quite a few players and missed out, so they do need. They need some big fish apparently.
Speaker 2: Mean he's going to be fullback and goal kicker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, I think media was great for Melbourne. I think he was the Dogs before that or Newcastle, I can't remember. It didn't really stand out much. But you know he's gone to Melbourne and done really well in crabelling system, so credit to him. But they, as I said, I think in the last podcast, if I was there, I'd be going all out for Papas and for Lomax and.
Speaker 2: Loawmarks might end up at the Storm well.
Speaker 1: Obviously the latest reports is that PARAMOUNTA won't release him, and to be fair, if I'm paramount. I wouldn't budge now because you know they took him in for the Dragons a year before and I think it was a bit a bit harsh what happened with, you know, getting the release far through sixty and that falling on his face. So look, if you're the Wallabies, they should be all over that Lomox. But also for the Perth Beers, I think you know, he played Origin last year and he's a very He's one of the best wingers in the world, so I'd be getting him. I'd be signing him up Away.
Speaker 2: Moves clubs a lot, was that, Lomas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't like people who do that.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, I can't, can't. I can't judge too much. I've moved clubs too. But there's just there's a limit to Johnny's job. RFL. I won't repeat what you put in the text.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, I think we touched on a little bit earlier with Featherston.
Speaker 2: Still no caffeen kicked in now are you ready to go?
Speaker 1: I'm fired up. Still not made a decision on Featherstone. You know, a week or so before they don't have an owner coach players Salford. They didn't. Actually, Sulford couldn't register their coach until the fifth because the RFL were away on holiday with a Festive break. So I think that means Salford will only get four maybe five training sessions before they own us. So that's a great preseason, isn't it. The eighteen eighteen ninety five Cup, which is it's kind of like the Second Division Challenge Cup for people who don't know. That hasn't been announced. The fixtures is that on? When's it on? No one seems to know it's going to be moved away from Wembley the final, but this announcement of when that's happening. Yeah, I think the RFL and you know, we can We've talked about the Tessy Newer thing. RFL's just made a statement said we're aware of it. We're not making any more statements Like is that good enough in twenty twenty six? I don't think soainly. I think they need to lift their game. They need to get on the ball, they need to be more proactive, They need to be held accountable. Why aren't they Well, there's no one really to hold them to account. You know, I try and do my best, but there's hardly anyone who does that, so look, yeah, that's that's just the way the sport is in the UK. Sadly.
Speaker 2: So I've just done some googling on me dog and bowl because i'm this merging of championships, League one, League two whatever they cald. It seemed to be a bit rush to me, and I don't know how much strategy is behind it.
Speaker 1: Well that's the RFL to a T twenty one teams.
Speaker 2: How many rounds?
Speaker 1: Well, the fictional list is quite convoluted too, so I think, if I'm right, everyone plays each other once and then they've worked out a system of how you finished last season so that you would play. You're either ranked in the top tier or the second, so then you'll playoff. I don't know how many games it is, but a set amount of extra games against the top teams if you want the top teams, or one of the lower teams if you're in. But the fact is you're going to have, you know, an Oldham against I don't know, Newcastle Thunder or Keithley or someone, Yeah, I mean the Salford. You know, we might get aid in your scores, we might get one hundred mile scores. The real at League One. And I've said this for years in the years and I'll say it again. There's no quota, so you can have you could be Oldham and you could field seventeen Australian Kiwi players, which is madness. And then everyone gets different central distribution, so Aldham might get one hundred and fifty grand and they might be playing a team who gets forty grand or playing Sofford who gets no money. So it already adds another layer of quality in the fact that you've got teams who have a lot more money against teams who have no or zero money. So is that fair? No, but that's the system we have.
Speaker 2: You know your argument about daylight saving in the mornings. If you did morning you'd still get up at the same time that you were getting up when there was no daylight saving. I'd be the one doing it later. Oh well, and you're a bit grumpyge on. You're getting tired these nights.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Something else that's happened is the Rugby Football League have now taken over the National Conference League.
Speaker 1: Is that right? Oh? Yes, that's to Yeah, I could leak that back to the job. But essentially this has been rolling on. This is another thing you mentioned rushed or not thought out so effectively. In September, they told the National Conference League, which is the top level amateur league, so just below the pro professional game, that they wanted to restructure the men's amateur game and instead of having two national divisions and then regional, they wanted regional all across. And the NCL were pretty pissed off about this, threatened the legal action, criticize it in the media, and this has draggedon for months and months, and now well, I've broke the news today that they've the NCL has effectively waived the white flag and agreed to the proposal which has been rushed through for this year. There is some rumors that the nc ALL clubs were worried that they wouldn't have referees or insurance because the RFL would pull those if they didn't agree to their restructure. I might be able to write about that in the near future. We shall see if people will talk. But yeah, it's another bad look. Really, it looks like the RFL has tried to strong arm the NCL and the NCL clubs, you know, the likes of Siddele and Kriggleston, and you know, strong amateur clubs who produce so many great players across the UK. And yeah, the RFL says it's because they're trying to halt the decline of participation in the male levels. Obviously there's a huge drop off when boys or teenagers hit sixteen, you know, give the game away. But the fact is this has been happening since at least since twenty seventeen, not since COVID that the RFL is saying, and they've done nothing and then they've suddenly.
Speaker 2: It happens in Australia too, Oh it does.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, it happens in pretty much every sport. Like the way modern society is, people aren't playing sport through into adult and aren't they. There's you know, there's more, Yeah there is. But I think the RFL approach just seemed to be sorry to force this way through. Instead of talking having a dialogue with the players, with the clubs, of the volunteers, they've just tried to force this through rush it, which it's pissed off a lot of people.
Speaker 2: The if the NRL were taking over the National Conference League, people would be applauding and allowing them through. Because the NRL are a competent organization for the vast majority of what they do, and they've achieved things, and I think there's a very big difference with the RFL taking something over with because I'm all for you know, the game being streamlined, et cetera, and all for that, but I think confidence in the RFL right now is a significant low. I mean, in my lifetime confidence in the RFL and its administration of the game tends to go from low to lower to very low as opposed to high to medium to low.
Speaker 1: The NRL run the amateur game? Do RL and the cr L run the amateur games? But you are right. I think what I've read up and looked into the RFL proposal, it makes sense in terms of the regional conferences, but the way they've got about it isn't good.
Speaker 2: They probably need they probably need. One thing I find about movements of this kind it goes a bit too much towards the revolution route rather than the evolution route. And sometimes you've got to delay something. So for example, I think most rugby league fans would like to see something similar as what's happened in Venezuela. I think they want to see Peter Velandi's come in and throw Nigel war In his team out and do take over the Rugby Football League. But the reality is the RFL aren't fantastic communicating, so they're probably doing they're probably trying to do some good things here, but we don't know them, and like I said, trust in them is pretty low I think. And they've also done a lot of these things quickly, so they've been in the gate. We've had this new group running the game, if you like, headed by Nigel Wood for six months, and we've already got two extra teams, two extra teams in Super League, a twenty one team championship. We've had a three nail Ashes defeat where nobody seems to give a rats ass and we couldn't even paint the field properly, and we have clubs going to the wall. And we also have this movement where they've effectively, to use your term, strong armed the Conference League or perceived so we've strong armed the Conference League. Now a lot of those decisions that have been made, I mean, a fourteen team Super League, we're not going to help the England team win the Ashes because allowing ten overseas players at every Super League team which is another thing they rush through that's not going to help. So those two things acting contradiction. Twenty one championship teams, like you said, they could be eighteen ill school lines and you know Goliath is playing against David and in a few in a few on a few scenarios. So look, they've done a lot of things quickly. Some of them are probably sensible in their eyes for for whatever reason. But I'd love to know what they are. I'd love to know why they want a twenty one team championship. I'd love to know really why they want fourteen times teams apart from this loop fixture thing, right, you know, loop fixtures have been turned into the devil all of a sudden in the last year just because of one or two people complained about them in.
Speaker 1: The loop. The loop fixture thing is a nonsense, and you are right. They rushed through the expansions, have never really articulated the reasons why enough why they should do it, you know, which Wigan obviously spoke openly about and they didn't really have strong discussions with their broadcast partner, which seems like madness. But the funny thing is that I meant I forgot to mention this earlier, but Sean Wayne two months since the end of the Ashes and were still not had a decision there. So they do rush a lot of things, but they're sitting on their hands when it comes to the England team.
Speaker 2: They did rules is that they're not going to get a fixture of England next middle of next year and they're not going to get any training sessions. They rushed that through.
Speaker 1: Well, there is there is the hypocrisy that there seems to be this belief that France are not worth playing. No one wants to watch them, they're not good enough. So it's a competition, competition for England. But last year there was a week off in set aside for that game, but they didn't play the game, so everyone just had a week off. So this year there's not enough time, so you can't you can't win all the way.
Speaker 2: Are you ready for lease laugh?
Speaker 1: I'm ready. I'm ready for a chuckle.
Speaker 2: Because I want to promote this podcast to directly to fans. I've got on Facebook. I've joined some fan groups in England like the the Wigan Warriors fan group blah blah blah blah blah, and most of them just let you in or most of them as year question which team just support? Et cetera, et cetera. Huddersfield and Featherston rovers fans. You know, you sometimes go to a night club or a bar and they don't let you in because you might have rubbed your eyes or something like that, even though you've the only drink you've had is coke zero. Also, in states like Alabama and places like that, back in the forties and the fifties, they used you have to register to vote in America, and if they liked you, if they like the color of your skin, the question was, what's one plus one? Yeah, okay, you can vote. If they didn't like you and they didn't like the color of your skin, the question was, please recite every word, every comera, and every full stop and semi colon of the first twenty five lines of the American Constitution. And then when you failed, no, you can't vote. So and trying to get into some of these pages reminded me of this, and Huddersfield and Featherstone roles were like Featherstone was well. One of the questions they asked me was when did Featherstone last win the Challenge Cup nineteen eighty three. But then the other question they asked me is who is the current chairman? And I don't know if anybody could answer that, so I and what's funny is I answered Mark Campbell and they've let they've let me in.
Speaker 1: So who was the last chairman?
Speaker 2: So yeah, true. Secondly, the Huddersfield Giants one, my word, what did they ask which which Huddersfield Giants players have won the Man of Steel Award?
Speaker 1: Brett Hodgson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all I've got and yeah, yeah, yeah, Google's good. And another one was named five Australian or New Zealand players that PASTI presente. Yeah, so it was quite tough to get into those two. But you're glad to know, Johnny, I've been accepted.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sure when you when you put in the you upload the podcast and the Featherston one and will get quickly deleted when there's mine I mentioned, So there's a lot of love for me.
Speaker 2: And now the other thing is one of my YouTube videos got Russian interference. So a few decades so, I mean my company posts on YouTube incessantly and one.
Speaker 1: Of those from Siberia, that's the true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, one of them one of them violated something that's not liked in Russia. So I got an email from YouTube and violation and there's all these different color things on the YouTube channel. Anyway, it says find out more. There's one country where it's been banned, Russia. Russia. So it was one of my adverts and I think there was some you know, three notes of a song from Beyonce in there, and yeah, they've banned it. So Russian interference media watch. Well things have been slow, haven't the Johnny but Love Rugby League? It must be really slow because they did a chat GPT Dream Team. Now I'll tell I'll tell you how reliable chat GPT is. It's had me coaching at so many clubs. I think chat GPT at one point had me coaching at older So I can't really criticize Alan Kilshaw if I'm popping up at Oldham, even though I've not been to the town of Oldham for at least four years. Chat GPT dream team included number four Whacker Blake, who played in the championship last year. Number eight Alex Walmsley, who's about fifty two years old. Number twelve Callepi tanganoa like hardly the form of a of a superstar in twenty twenty five, I don't think number thirteen was Callum Watkins. What say you, Johnny about the chat GPT dream Team?
Speaker 1: I think if you're using you know, chat JBT to generate stories, then you really need to find a different profession. Yeah, okay, I just I really have a disdain for that kind of clickbait and that kind of you know ten players who have had a coffee this week, or you know ten players who are taller than two point one meters who play or whatever. It's the lowest of the low.
Speaker 2: Well talking of clickbait, well it must be clickbait to fans of certain teams. I've done an analysis video on Mikey Lewis right and basically at the end of each one of these podcasts, I will stick this analysis video one for the viewers the listeners. I hope you'll get something from this. Most of the analysis will be super League and Super League related because it's basically the footage can be accessible. I've done Mikey Lewis this week in future weeks and do Reese Walsh Pak Carragan players will be playing in the World Cup Challenge basically what I do want to say at this junk to John And then I think this is one of the reasons you and I get on. We do look at things with a critical eye. We don't just accept things as they are. Mikey Lewis gets an awful lot of press and he gets bumped up a lot in the camera looks at him an awful lot. When I look at an analysis video, John, I look at it like a coach. I look at it like a coach. How can I improve this player? So what things can we add to him? Or if I'm the opposition coach, how can we expo exploit the weaknesses of this player? And what strength do we have to look for? So that's that's the area I'm coming from. And I'd love for everybody from OKR, well anybody who's a fan of anybody. Really, I'd love Mikey Lewis to look at this and tell me what he thinks. Like I said, if you're listening, I hope you can get something out of this. But if you if you can't and you want to watch the video, it's actually own unique clip on YouTube as well, which I know, Johnny you've shared on your ex so I'll catch up with you in a fortnite. John, Where can people get you in the meantime Just remind them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they can get me on Facebook at John Davidson Journalists and on ex Johnny D Davidson and also on Patreon at Rugby League hub dot com and.
Speaker 2: You can get me admin at Rugby League Coach dot com dote you email at Rugby League Coach on Socials Rugby League Coach dot com dot te you. I hope you enjoy the analysis, see you in a fortnite. Hello and welcome to the first Rugby League Coach Analysis video of twenty twenty six. My name is Lee Addison, owner of Rugby League Coach dot com dot A you. Happy New Year to you. Were only a few weeks away from the World Club Challenge between Hull Kingston Rovers the UK champions and Brisbane Broncos the Australian champions, and you'll also get to see Hull Kingston Rovers at Las Vegas two, which is a matter of weeks away quite frankly, and one of the players that has got the highest profile at hulk k are as they are more commonly known is Mikey Lewis, who you will have seen play for England in the halves and also dummy half and at fullback briefly in the Third Test. There's been a lot of fuss about Mikey Lewis. I'm not going to waste any more time. I'm going to share my scream with you because look at the headlines that Mikey Lewis has enjoyed over the last few years. So as discussed, this is the man that we're looking at. Mikey Lewis Hulkingston Rovers has some great headlines on the radar of several NROL clubs with possible transferred date suggested Love Rugby League. A few months ago, Super League Grand Final hero Mikey Lewis named in England squad said seven News and it says the Kangaroos have a big headache. Well I don't remember them having a headache. And also Lewis will light up Vegas after inking a new whole kr deal. So there's no doubting there's a lot of attention around this guy. So let's see if this is all worthwhile. Here he is in the Super League Grand Final. This got people excited. Here's that left foot step and it led to a try. I think that was the try that got him into the England squad. Here he is kicking the forty twenty in the Challenge Cup final earlier in the year. Here he is with a very long dropout where his team got some possession back. So the kid definitely has some talent. But we as always as coaches, we look for things that we can exploit and I'm putting myself in Michael Maguire's shoes that kick there. He has a tendency when he kicks long to put the ball down the throats of opposition defenses, so not very good at finding the space. He is better, however, when he does attacking kicks, and he tends to wait them very perfectly so that there's a good challenge between attack and defense. As a couple of examples here of him doing this where Hulkingston Rovers definitely were in the fight when it comes to to regaining possession and potentially getting some kind of win. Please, if you haven't already, consider having a look at my book Rugby League Coach, Thirteen Game Changing Conversations to Transform your coaching words from James Tedesco, Ronaldo Mulatalo, Matthew Elliott, no crush of Khalil and others in that in that book, including all the coaching tips I hope you will need for your twenty twenty six season. We're now looking at Mikey defending. He's the last defender on the left. As I have paused this screen, he is number six. You will see his legs are actually quite far apart when he's defending. And the problem with that is you can't change direction at short notice, you if you're in some kind of stance like that. And here he gets exploited a little bit because he turned in then he has to turn back out. You may remember in a previous analysis video I showed you an example of the hook are rights center doing it really well. Mikey Lewis was all at sea there and actually ended up going behind his defense pensive line. Warrington seemed to target this area a little bit in the Challenge Cup final. Here you will see again his legs are open. He's sat in the seat as we say it, and therefore he gets delayed when he has to change direction and has to keep going on the slide, and he's actually late to the tackle. So he's somebody that somebody like Rhys Walsh or the six and seven for Brisbane. Broncos can really target in defense and hold him up a little bit. He's a very willing defender. Like I said, he will chase things downs and the flip side of that, though, is that you can drag him out of the defensive line. Here he is going a little bit low in his tackles. He has a tendency to go either really high or really low. Here he is going low again, but that was probably a textbook tackle and he killed the ruck really well on the back of that. That is rare rather than common though in the big games. Here he goes higher, Like I said, a very willing defender, no dramas, but tends to move very quickly off the marker area. Here he backs away and goes really low. So I'm going to show that to you again. If you look at this defensive line, he's already a little bit behind it. All he needed to do was stay in that line. Instead, what he did he backed away and this gave the opposition number six the chance to target him in the defensive line. He ended up pulling off a really low tackle and was unable to completely get the root controlled on the back of it. So this is what Mikey Lewis can be capable of in defense. Here he is turning in again, probably a little bit too early, a little bit too enthusiastic, and then he went too high and got knocked on his backside. So you will tend to find this with Mikey Lewis. Now do you notice how the wh k R markers aren't square? It happens so much in Super League, okay, so don't be surprised if it's an English referee if this happens in the World Club Challenge. Mikey Lewis is in the defensive line, his legs and ice and wide there and he ends up planting and luckily for him the tackle comes to him. But did you notice how much go forward the opposition forward got here? He is defending for England in the First Test. Again coming out of the line, didn't really need to the ball went outside him. You may remember Australia had a bit of joy on the right side of the field early in this game. There he is missing a tackle. Here he is later in the game getting it wrong again, going too low and coming in. So certainly something Australian attackers in the Brisbane Bronco side can exploit here. He is out of the defensive line and he's isolated himself in defense, so a lead runner ties him up and the ball goes outside him. One of the highlights of the Rugby League Coach offerings of the Coach Mentor program. This is our blue chip program. If you like, please have a look at Rugby League Coach dot comte au forward slash Coach Mentor. In terms of our results, twenty twenty six is our fourth year of doing this. We so far had eight Grand Final wins. Eleven teams were competition runners up. Nine percent of our teams finished in the top four of their competition. Every single coach and team improved. Let's have a look at some of Mikey Lewis's attacks. So coming out from his own exit, just setting up, he will literally just catch and pass or he will turn the ball inside far away from the defensive line. I've not noticed anything with Mikey Lewis to suggests it's a great threat close to the line with the ball. In terms of his past choices, he is with his running, but not necessarily his past choices. So he'll do he'll just tip on the ball here like that, or he'll turn it inside. You will notice him getting to a dummy half a lot as well in all the games I've seen him play here, he is a second receiver, and at second receive receiver he will do one of two things. He'll either pass the ball long or he will step off his left foot and go into the line. Okay, and we're going to see those patterns emerge. There's a left foot step, okay, So he either passes long or steps off his left foot where he is very good. He's broken play like this, instinctive play. His first instinct is to run, and he'll follow. He's running and passing instincts. Then when he has time to think, I think he doesn't come up with many options because when he's at second receiver, he's got nobody coming inside him. His outside options aren't fantastically shaped up. He labored on the ball for a little bit and just ends up passing the most simple pass that achieves very little and is easily defended by the Warrington Wolves. So I think Brisbane can really deal with him in this regard. But this is where he's dangerous. When it's instinctive, when it's fast and he just puts in the little short kick to try and get an attacking opportunity. So when he's at second receiver, we can predict what he's going to do. He's going to run at the line, or he's going to pass along. In broken play like this, when the player is fast, this is where he gets better and he looks more dangerous. I think his first instinct is to run. Here's another instinctive play where the defense isn't necessarily in his face and the team got good go forward on the back of Mikey Lewis's interventions. There he goes down the short side. So we do have a talented player, but I do think that he can be very easily controlled by the Brisbane Broncos. When he's setting up a set, I e. If his first receiver and he's part of a set construction, he has a default where he likes to just turn the ball back inside for no clear apparent reason. So here you will see just turns it back inside, doesn't really do much of the defense. That's a default setting for him. Halves tend to have tendencies and blind spots, and I do think that Mikey Lewis needs to get some more variety around him, because here his options run out on the outside. He just steps on the inside. And this is why I think Brisbane can really control him. That said, when the play is loose, when the opposition of going backwards when they're retreating, I think he's brilliant and makes the right decision. Here Again, I think he did well to get some go forward there. He's organizing the next play on the back of that. When he gets time to think, he ends up just running the football or taking the simplest option. Here he comes in the third receiver steps back in, So Brisbane can really control what he does in that regard. After watching that with me, I'm sure you agree with me that Lewis predominantly has a left foot step. In fact, that's his only significant step if you ask me so. When he is second receiver on a line shot, if you like, he is likely to pass the ball along or run out of the line, including that left foot step. So the way to defend against that is number one can keep a line. Number two push from the inside so that his left foot step back into the defensive line isn't necessarily an option. Thirdly, something else you can do is outside where Mikey Lewis is looking, so the right center for example, because he tends to play on the left, that defender can jam in or they can umbrella that and Mikey Lewis will then step in. So Brisbane can I think, possibly deal with Mikey Lewis quite easily in that circumstance. When he's second receiver, if he's involved in the setup of a set, he tends to do an inside pass, so that's quite readable and Brisbane will be able to defend that on the inside. That said, all I've said about is attacking weaknesses or his tendencies, if you like. His first instinct is to run, and I think he's more dangerous in broken play, so when the play is fluid, when the defense is moving backwards, when he runs at the line, he makes good decisions when he's backing his instincts, when he has to think, when he has to plan, I don't think he's as good and that's where Brisbane Broncos have to be very ware he particularly on the last tackle if he gets caught with a ball. A couple of times he just done it and went through the defensive line defensively is a very very willing defender. That said, though I think sometimes he over commits to things. He'll go either too high or too low in the tackles. Goes too high, sometimes gets bumped off, goes too low quick play the ball on the back of that, and the other thing you noticed in the clip is how he sometimes overslides, the slides past the ball or he comes out of the line too quickly. That said, there's so much energy about him. Is a very willing character and it's certainly somebody Brisbane Broncos have to be careful of the next few weeks. You're going to see a little bit of Rhyese Walsh and you're also going to see Jesse Litton and Pat Carry done as well. In the analysis videos. Take care have a look at rugbilly coach dot comverta U forward slash coach mentor