Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty Wim Kelly.
Speaker 2: People on nos in Las Vegas do why do people say nose are here?
Speaker 3: They just know that.
Speaker 2: You can be in your driveway watching your own car. Neighbors and Las Vegas pull into that draveway, get out of the car, And what did they say?
Speaker 4: When you finish yours, you can do mine.
Speaker 3: You gotta listen.
Speaker 2: You can be on a lot across the street painting your house.
Speaker 3: Hi, when you finish.
Speaker 5: Yours, you can do it.
Speaker 3: Next week, we're walking to my neighbor and his wife having sex. I said exactly what I'm gonna say to him.
Speaker 4: Hi, when you finish his, you can do mine.
Speaker 2: People at Los Angeles driving around in a smart car, drinking smart water on the smartphone and sitting in traffic looking like a dumb ass.
Speaker 5: KFI mister mo Kelly, We are live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and from the late legendary television producer Norman Lear comes the heartfelt new comedy series Clean Slate, premiering next Thursday, February sixth on Amazon Prime Video. Clean Slate follows Harry, played by comedian George Wallace, an old school car wash owner in Alabama who has a lot of soul searching to do when the child he thought he was a son returns as a proud trans woman, now named Desiree, played by Laverne Cox. Her homecoming brings together a hilarious cast of friends, coworkers, and love interests as Desiree and Harry try to get it right the second time around. Joining me now on the show is the star of Clean Slate, longtime friend of the show, the incomparable George Wallace.
Speaker 4: George, how you doing, sir? George?
Speaker 3: Who's that?
Speaker 4: George? Don't act like you don't know me.
Speaker 3: I know you what your ugle did not just see you last week?
Speaker 5: No, No, that was someone else. You got a brother that looks like That's what I've been told, George. George, are you doing, sir?
Speaker 3: I feel good all over? How about you today?
Speaker 4: I'm doing well.
Speaker 5: It's always nice to be able to talk to you. And when I saw that you were gonna be star of Clean Slate, I could not wait to have you on. We know that Norman Lear was a master of capturing the inherent tension of family dynamics. This Clean Slate is along those lines. But what is it that's always so funny about family?
Speaker 3: Family is good and family is different.
Speaker 2: And family can make you happy, family can make you laugh, family can make you mad, Family to make you don't understand situations.
Speaker 3: And that's what clean Slate is about. I started with an idea.
Speaker 2: I wanted to reboot samping Son and at the time this show was created seven years ago we finally got it on the air, and I wanted to create Sampling sound with the great Normal liv Everything he's done, it's been great and very controversial. None more controversial then this show Clean Slate. Seven years ago, the Orangeles and New Black was a how to show out. I didn't know lebron cos I didn't know nothing about it, but I just heard a lot about it, and I said, I want to work with this great person. I hope she goes along with the idea. What happened is that back as a black old man down in Mobile, Alabama, own having a family owning a car wash, all oll the wash and uh, my family and my wife died, my son left home and I didn't there for my son. In twenty three years and I get an email said Dad, I'm coming home tomorrow. I go to the door, then gone, and the most beautiful lady you've ever seen in your life and standing at the door, and I said, oh, young lady, Anny, lady, don't well he's selling avon or you're coming back to say you over's return whatever, not today, not for me.
Speaker 3: My son is coming home. And she says, Dad, it's me. That's right.
Speaker 2: Silence for about forty minutes, and I'm just looking up and next thing, he has a book.
Speaker 3: Come on in.
Speaker 2: But in any case, my son has transgendered. And the beautiful Laverne Cotton is sitting at the door and my daughter and we learned to live and let live. I'm being educated to learn to live with her lifestyle and she's learning to live with my old fashioned lifestyle. My house is still old like it was thirty years ago. And she just amazed that this is still the way I live. And I'm definitely amazing the way she's now living. But it's all about love and that hello.
Speaker 4: I ain't this fast.
Speaker 2: A lady is really in a good time right now. My son's coming in a minute.
Speaker 4: Dad. I'm your daughter, Desiree.
Speaker 2: I've always been Desiree.
Speaker 4: We haven't spoken on the law.
Speaker 2: How long three is?
Speaker 4: What happened? How this place looks exactly the same.
Speaker 3: Let you know what they say, but they ain't broke. Don't fix that's broke. I got a picture. We have a very special surprise guest.
Speaker 4: She ran a very fancy art gallery in New York.
Speaker 2: City, says for Taylor swift By Sunglasses.
Speaker 3: So what happen up there?
Speaker 4: I arrange for a gallery space and then my funding fell through. It your bus broke, and you live at your mama broke. Oh, she brought jokes with her from New York. I ain't perfect, and I don't pretend to know it all, but that's a rate. Coming back and opening up like that was a major step. Oh my god, what we're in your living room?
Speaker 2: Girl? Pressure?
Speaker 4: Are you crazy?
Speaker 2: How about crash with you? I ain't crashing when you're home until they're gonna have to be decorated.
Speaker 4: Come guss lave me dad.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't do that because I don't know what that is.
Speaker 4: To my door, to our daughter, don't get your remember our dad. I wasn't asking you out. I just thought I might need to get in touch.
Speaker 2: It's timy d Clutter we can start by replacing that isso on the ball. This is my class possession and it ain't going no where, son, daughter, dammit.
Speaker 4: Yar, I'm going to retire off this.
Speaker 5: Would you say Harry is closer to Fred G. Samford or Archie Bunker or George Jefferson.
Speaker 2: George Wallace, all four of them mixed, all four of them mixed together. Because it's a new day at a new time. With the climate of America today, Oh my god, this is gonna be really accept it. It's gonna be controversial, It's gonna be talked about for a long time. I think nothing has hit the screens like this and me dealing with it. And I'm glad to be Harry, to be learning about life. It's good to learn something new that you don't know about and learn to live with it, and you can learn to accept different ways people live, because as hard as hell to live with me, I'm an old black man and what I say gonna go okay.
Speaker 5: But that's actually there's a lot of truth in that, because if you come from a black Flan dynamic, that is very much the case in many households. How much did you draw upon your own family dynamic experiences for something like this, How much, oh.
Speaker 2: Much everything is from It's the real George Wallace. It's a real my daddy, George Wallace. It's a real my granddaddy. It's a real people. I grew up in the neighborhood, you know. I' from Atlanta, Georgia, and we grew up in a neighborhood where it didn't matter. Everybody was your daddy, didn't matter who everybody was your mama.
Speaker 3: That's the neighborhood I grew up. Man. It's all about respect and love and be loved.
Speaker 5: How much room did you give yourself? Yes, it's your idea, but how much room did you give yourself to be spontaneous, to be off the cuff, to be unrehearsed in your scenes?
Speaker 4: With Laverne Cox.
Speaker 3: Being an executive producer, she also executive producer, we.
Speaker 2: Did our own thing and you'll see a lot of my lines and have things I would say, things would just come up out of nowhere. Uh. And my next your neighborhood is tell My Hopkins. She's my aunt esther, so we fight all the time. You shut up, you don't tell me what to do up and she helps me a lot in learning how to live and live there in the LaVerne's community.
Speaker 5: I get the sense that this is gonna feel like a warm blanket, something very familiar, but at the same time it's gonna be something very different. Did you, when you were sitting down with Laverne Cox, say Okay, this is as far as we can go.
Speaker 4: Or did you say, we don't have any limits. Let's just see where it goes.
Speaker 2: You are the smartest person off talk to exactly. We have no limits. Let's just do this. Let's deal with it, and we deal with it with love and laughter. That's why you're going to enjoy the show. Some things I don't understand and you won't understand them with me. Some things she doesn't know about me, my happiness. But we're gonna learn to live and love each other, and there's gonna be some tough moments there. I'm having a heart attack and then she's taking care of me all of a sudden. That's where the love comes in and you know we can take care of each other.
Speaker 5: George, I'm not even gonna ask you. I'm just gonna make you hold on because I want to talk to you. For a second segment, my guests on the line right now is the incomparable comedian George Wallace, who is the star of the new Amazon Prime video show Clean Slate, which premieres next Thursday, February sixth I'll have more with George Wallace and more of Clean Slate in just a moment.
Speaker 1: You're listening to later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty l.
Speaker 4: Kelly one k A six.
Speaker 2: The got me in a hotel here three hundred and eighty five dollars a.
Speaker 3: Night, That's what I said.
Speaker 4: I said, Oho, I.
Speaker 2: Said, I ain't going no way. If that's gonna be a show, it's gonna be in my room, three hundred and eighty five dollars a night.
Speaker 3: They don't want you to steal the towers. I on the hell of the tars, I'm taking it. Sorry. This one.
Speaker 2: Woke up one morning, thought and had a light breakfast, order some raisin toast.
Speaker 3: Lady came upstairs.
Speaker 2: The raisin toast was seven dollars and twenty five cents seven dollars until I told her, I said, you take this toast back downstairs, and you take six dollars worth of those raisins off this.
Speaker 3: Toast, and I took two of the raisin. I said, and here's a little something for yourself too. Me.
Speaker 2: I really do like him, Mama, I just saw at home depot.
Speaker 3: You know, you know her teeth.
Speaker 4: That's so quiety. She got a job making keys.
Speaker 3: But that's a whole lord.
Speaker 4: Ye man, that's a whole different story.
Speaker 3: You ain't gonna bush me.
Speaker 2: You ain't gonna just me in front of all these people here, Okay, Ricky smiling, mamaself fat.
Speaker 3: She got a real horse on.
Speaker 4: Her polo shirt.
Speaker 3: She's so fat.
Speaker 2: When she gets on the elevator. Oh it's going down, Ricky smile, and mamaseul fat. When you go to the beach, we can't see the ocean. I love ladies, and I'm gona print princes.
Speaker 3: Turns me on. Look at all these dates.
Speaker 2: Animal print dress over that turns me on. But some of you laterst and that when y'all want these animal print dresses, you can't be logger than the animal that you represent. Lady Jim in there another night when a zebra fit, everybody said, it's a savant.
Speaker 4: It's ava.
Speaker 5: I am continuing my conversation with the very very funny you heard those clips. You know his name, you know his work, The very, very funny George Wallace as we're talking about his new TV show, which is from the late legendary television producer Norman Lear Is called Clean Slate and the premiere's next Thursday, February sixth on Amazon Prime Video and just to reset. Clean Slate follows Harry, who is played by George Wallace, an old school car wash owner in Alabama who has a lot of soul searching to do when his son leaves and then comes back twenty three years later as a transwoman. It's really really funny and can't wait to see all the episodes. George, did you ever have a formal conversation with Laverne Cox and ask hers like, where is the line as far as humor versus either hatred or mean spirited comedy? Because we've heard a lot in the past year or two about how transgender people have been vilified or talked about in comedy.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what we're gonna learn in this series as you watch it. And we had a conversation about just letting life live. This is mostly about her life right now and we're all learning this at the same time and see.
Speaker 3: It doesn't whatever, let me Sita has That's where we go.
Speaker 5: Who was the first to break character and start laughing during the scene?
Speaker 4: You were Laverne?
Speaker 2: Well, you know with me, because you know I could be because I'll change lines every year, every scene, so I know my lines. But you know this could be plenty yet the time, Let's do another thing. Let's do it this way, Let's do it that way. And then that's when you know you're having fun. You know. See Leapurne is never the chance, never done comedy, committic role, but now this is different for her, and she's learning, and I'm throwing out all kinds of crazy ideas and thoughts.
Speaker 3: That's why it's funny.
Speaker 2: I'm me and she's here, and we put it all together and it's really fun.
Speaker 4: Is there a blooper Real?
Speaker 5: Are there any outtakes where you said, oh, we can't put this up on air?
Speaker 2: Hell? Yeah, there's we're more he said, not editor, that's no such word as editor.
Speaker 4: Edge Year edg Year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I went to night school right at your so so. But it's a lot of fun, so we we go above that, put the regular nothing beyond.
Speaker 5: Yes, there's an educational component in the way that there was an educational component of all in the Family and the Jeffersons, where you try to move society forward, try to educate them, but not at the same time proselytize or preach to them. How do you know that you're hitting the mark with America later on after the show comes out.
Speaker 2: Because there's always as it's a trick and coming and how to write a joke AB three one two c ab and with the twist at the end, that's how we had a very serious how do we handle this? Let's settle it for the laugh.
Speaker 5: AB three one two c Now are you going to be watching it? Are you gonna be watching this win? It premieres on Amazon Prime February sixth, or you want to watch your own work.
Speaker 2: See I've had a problem with it so far. It's been given to me. But watching me, I guess I'm pretty good.
Speaker 3: I don't know. They say it, so I'm good.
Speaker 2: I will watch and I will enjoy and I will I know that's good we put it like that. I know it's funny, and I know a message has been sent most of all, and it's gonna make this thing happen, and America is gonna love it. And even if it's country version, you know, even dealing with the church.
Speaker 4: You know, the church people, Sam George is radio. They can't see that.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm looking at you. It may be radio, but they can't see me on radio. They can see I'm the greatest of the whole time. People seen me on the radio and the movies and television. People see me in on radio. That's what mahama A Lee used to say.
Speaker 5: From legendary television producer Norman Lee, the idea comes from for this heartfelt new comedy series, Clean Slate, premier on Thursday, February sixth on Prime Video. It stars Laverne Cox and my guest George Wallace, friend of the show, George. I love you and there's nothing you can do about it.
Speaker 4: Nothing't do my line in front of me. I just did, George Wallace, what you gonna do?
Speaker 3: Hang up on me. I'm but let me tell you something. People are using my line. I'm gonna sue you. I love you and there's absolutely nothing you can do by it. By he you you said that again. You're going to court. We're going to court in Washington, DC.
Speaker 4: Get off my show.
Speaker 3: Hope be a Republican say you know what when we're here.
Speaker 5: Bye George, Bye boy, I love you, Thank you so much for everything.
Speaker 4: Bye George.
Speaker 5: KFI AM six forty We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty